PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 5:19 AM
Yeah Unova made bug and ghosts a lot better.

Except Sinnoh had Dusknoir, my favourite ghost type.

Silent Conversation
11th June 2011, 7:01 AM
I also like Ghost/Water, Ghost/Fire, and Ghost/Ground. It's funny because I used to hate Ghost and Bug pokemon, but now they are my two favorite types thanks to Unova.

I actually liked ghost even before this gen, I just never really used ghost types because there weren't too many good ones out there. But now I'm going to start using them more considering I have three great ones to choose from.

As for bug, my opinion has gone from despising it from Gens I - IV to having neither a positive nor negative feeling about it in Gen V.

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 7:47 AM
I went from despising them in Gen 1-3. Being indifferent to them in 4, and absolutely loving them in 5.

General Nonsense
11th June 2011, 7:53 AM
I kind of liked bugs in 1st gen, and I liked them even more with each gen

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 7:55 AM
I don't know. Bugs were kinda weak and had no useful moves in Gen 1.

General Nonsense
11th June 2011, 7:59 AM
I don't know. Bugs were kinda weak and had no useful moves in Gen 1.

Doesn't mean I can't like them.

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 8:01 AM
True. But I personally I like Pokemon better when they do really well for me in battle.

General Nonsense
11th June 2011, 8:09 AM
True. But I personally I like Pokemon better when they do really well for me in battle.

Eh, for me it's a combination of design and battling well. Any pokmeon can be good enough in-game if you give it the right moveset. (I am going to get flamed for that last statement, I can just sense it)

Lorde
11th June 2011, 8:13 AM
This generation introduced so many cool Bug-type Pokemon. I think Scolipede looks pretty amazing, especially the Shiny variation. It just looks ultra fierce. The cutest Bug-type in this generation is probably Sewaddle, although Shelmet is a close second. And I haven't trained a Volcarona myself, but I admire it so much. It's Alder's strongest Pokemon, so it must be pretty useful. The only Bug-type that I don't really like is Leavanny for some reason. All of the others are pretty great, though.

General Nonsense
11th June 2011, 8:15 AM
I don't like leavanny either, nor any in it's evolutionary line

SphealsFTW
11th June 2011, 8:55 AM
I dislike Leavanny too. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it... but it sucks hard compared to Sewaddle and Swadloon ;P Design-wise, of course. Speaking of the Sewaddle line, they have a lot of weaknesses >3<.

Chibi_Muffin
11th June 2011, 9:18 AM
Really? I like Leavanny. It's quite elegant, with that goofy/cute grin making it more appealing to me! ^_^

Out of ghost/bug types, I have trained Leavanny, Scolipede, Volcarona, Cofagrigus, Accelgor, Chandelure and Jellicent and they're pretty good, I'll tell you that!

The 5th gen has not disappointed me. In fact, it may just be my favourite!

Geekachu
11th June 2011, 10:20 AM
I like Leavanny too. For typings I like Jellicent's Water/Ghost, Volcarona's Bug/Fire, and Scrafty's Dark/Fighting (he really is amazingly suited for the E4). And whilst I like Golurk's Ghost/Ground, it would've been cool to make him part Steel Type. But then again, I like his peculiar unexpected typing.

King Lawliet
11th June 2011, 12:26 PM
Every single type combination that was introduced to this Generation I'm a fan of, along with the Pokémon who are those types. I hope they top this next Gen

Grey Wind
11th June 2011, 1:09 PM
I like Ground/Dark, Dark/Fighting, Ghost/Fire the best. All the new typings were pretty cool why didn't they give one to Emboar!

Psycho Cut
11th June 2011, 1:33 PM
I was quite pleased with Reshiram's typing. I've wanted to see a dragon/fire pokemon ever since I started playing, the two types just make sense together.

Mister_SGG
11th June 2011, 1:39 PM
I love Zekrom's typing. Electric- and Dragon- are two of my favourite types.

The Fad
11th June 2011, 2:48 PM

Don't underestimate Bug power, they can be vital points of one's team

AquaRegisteel
11th June 2011, 4:23 PM
Bug types have ranked up this gen. Accelgor was a neat addition as was Escavalier; putting them two against each other is like Ninja Vs Soldier.

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 5:46 PM
Bug types were amazing in this gen. But previous gens they weren't.

はるひ
11th June 2011, 6:13 PM
I like the Psychic/Fighting combo. There should be a Fighting/Ghost combo as well.

The Fad
11th June 2011, 6:16 PM
Yeah, but I always had a trusty bug type in Red/Green. Beedrill or Butterfree, but I preferred Beedrill

Geekachu
11th June 2011, 6:28 PM
Yeah, but I always had a trusty bug type in Red/Green. Beedrill or Butterfree, but I preferred Beedrill

Really? Their movesets in GenI were horrid, Beedrill if anything being worse :O But I'm glad that they've progressively got better moves

はるひ
11th June 2011, 6:33 PM
There's tons of bug types I like. Combee, the flying ladybug, Kriketune and Volcarona are some.

Grei
11th June 2011, 6:48 PM
This generation introduced so many cool Bug-type Pokemon. I think Scolipede looks pretty amazing, especially the Shiny variation. It just looks ultra fierce. The cutest Bug-type in this generation is probably Sewaddle, although Shelmet is a close second. And I haven't trained a Volcarona myself, but I admire it so much. It's Alder's strongest Pokemon, so it must be pretty useful. The only Bug-type that I don't really like is Leavanny for some reason. All of the others are pretty great, though.

Volcarona is insanely amazing. I trained one from a Lvl. 1 Larvesta egg from the beginning of my playthrough of Black, and Volcarona is crazy strong, especially being Modest.

As is Leavanny. I'm not sure why you dislike Leavanny, because it's a great Pokemon. It's fast and can hit hard with STAB'd moves that have an increased likelihood of getting a critical hit. Leavanny is one of my favorite Grass-types, and would be my absolute favorite if I didn't like Lilligant so much.

I like the Psychic/Fighting combo. There should be a Fighting/Ghost combo as well.

We're discussing what type combos introduced in Black and White we like, not what type combos we want to see in the future.

はるひ
11th June 2011, 6:52 PM
Woops I guess I forgot to read the question. :p

toppokemontrainer
11th June 2011, 6:55 PM
OK, good points. I'm not demanding too much too soon though, they have been giving us sprites for years and now is the time to move on with the 3DS software, whether they do that is another thing - that I will hope for.

Geekachu
11th June 2011, 7:11 PM
Volcarona is insanely amazing. I trained one from a Lvl. 1 Larvesta egg from the beginning of my playthrough of Black, and Volcarona is crazy strong, especially being Modest.

As is Leavanny. I'm not sure why you dislike Leavanny, because it's a great Pokemon. It's fast and can hit hard with STAB'd moves that have an increased likelihood of getting a critical hit. Leavanny is one of my favorite Grass-types, and would be my absolute favorite if I didn't like Lilligant so much.

I'm definitely intending to use Volcarona in the 3rd Game, it's just too good of a Pokemon to not train (and the fact that it has an awesome design)

And I wasn't really sure about Lilligant, it's design I'm unsure about however I'm guessing that Lilligant + Quiver Dance = Amazing. Personally with Grass Types I like Sawsbuck and it's on my White Team.

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 7:13 PM
I was thinking about using Volcarona but the thing is I won't be able to use it because I will be done the game by the time my Larvesta evolves

Cassiopeia
11th June 2011, 7:15 PM
I'm definitely intending to use Volcarona in the 3rd Game, it's just too good of a Pokemon to not train (and the fact that it has an awesome design)

And I wasn't really sure about Lilligant, it's design I'm unsure about however I'm guessing that Lilligant + Quiver Dance = Amazing. Personally with Grass Types I like Sawsbuck and it's on my White Team.

Lilligant+Own Tempo+Petal Dance+Quiver Dance= AMAZING!
I wanted to try out Sawsbuck, but I havent gotten to it yet.

はるひ
11th June 2011, 7:15 PM
I hated most of the grass types from the other gens but I'm happy they got some awesome ones this gen. And you don't have to get Cherirrim from a tree! yayy~

But the Whisicott was my favorite. I used him on my first ever Black team when I just started playing Pokemon. and it was awesome. Not a fan of Superior (but I like Servine). And the one with the fruit hat... I dunno. I wanna try an Amooguss though, those things are cute.

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 7:16 PM
Eww...Whimsicott.

I like cool grass types like Sceptile, Torterra, Leavanny, etc.

はるひ
11th June 2011, 7:20 PM
Me likes Cherrium, Shiftry, Roseila, Servine and Cottantee

oh and turtwig was cute when I played platinum, but his evolutions were scary.

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 7:21 PM
I am not a fan of any of those. Shiftry is the only one that is appealing, but it is still kinda meh if you ask me.

Roserade is great, but Roselia sucks

はるひ
11th June 2011, 7:23 PM
Ahh. That's because I'm a fan of cute and awesome. Mostly cute if I am going for a certain theme.

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 7:26 PM
I personally like Pokemon that serve a good purpose in battle.

はるひ
11th June 2011, 7:29 PM
How good a Pokemon depends on how one trains it. My Pokemon are POS's by fan standards but by my standards, if they have won me many battles in game and out game, then I consider them good.

Grey Wind
11th June 2011, 7:39 PM
How good a Pokemon depends on how one trains it. My Pokemon are POS's by fan standards but by my standards, if they have won me many battles in game and out game, then I consider them good.
>.< None of the Pokemon on your team are bad. Reuniclus is the better of the duo, but Gothitelle isn't bad.

Grei
11th June 2011, 7:40 PM

It really is. When it has Own Tempo, Petal Dance is awesome because it's 120 base power without a negative effect (besides it being a 2-3 turn attack). And otherwise, when it has Big Root and Sleep Powder+Quiver Dance+Giga Drain, more often than not, it never faints. It puts the opponent to sleep (and is usually fast enough to move first), dances to raise its stats and speed even more, and then completely drains its opponent. If it's low on HP, the Big Root compensates and will usually completely heal her.

She's incredible. ;_;

I imagine Sawsbuck functions similarly, only as a physical attacker with one extra weakness.

Me likes Cherrium, Shiftry, Roseila, Servine and Cottantee

oh and turtwig was cute when I played platinum, but his evolutions were scary.

GASP

Torterra is God, he's the best Pokemon ever

Mister_SGG
11th June 2011, 7:41 PM
>.< None of the Pokemon on your team are bad.

Well, there's that monkey problem.

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 7:41 PM
I train each and every Pokemon the same. Some I've liked, others I haven't.

Grey Wind
11th June 2011, 7:43 PM
It really is. When it has Own Tempo, Petal Dance is awesome because it's 120 base power without a negative effect (besides it being a 2-3 turn attack). And otherwise, when it has Big Root and Sleep Powder+Quiver Dance+Giga Drain, more often than not, it never faints. It puts the opponent to sleep (and is usually fast enough to move first), dances to raise its stats and speed even more, and then completely drains its opponent. If it's low on HP, the Big Root compensates and will usually completely heal her.

She's incredible. ;_;

I never used Lilligant but it sounds good. I personaly think Whimsicoot is adorable, but I might try out a Lilligant.

Also, Sceptile > Torterra

R_N
11th June 2011, 7:43 PM
Well, there's that monkey problem.

Simipour is probably the most useable of the monkies, and it's not like it has a terrible move pool or stats.

Cassiopeia
11th June 2011, 7:44 PM
I never used Lilligant but it sounds good. I personaly think Whimsicoot is adorable, but I might try out a Lilligant.

Also, Sceptile > Torterra

Lilligant is AWESOME (and powerful)
Also, Sceptile < Torterra

Grei
11th June 2011, 7:50 PM

This is an A+ post

Grey Wind
11th June 2011, 7:51 PM
You have made a very powerful enemy today.

Cassiopeia
11th June 2011, 7:54 PM
You have made a very powerful enemy today.

:P
Dont get me wrong, Sceptiles still pretty cool, but Torterra...is just plain awesome.
Also I've used both, and Torterra was more useful.
But my favorite grass type this generation is Virizion.

LexSuicune
11th June 2011, 7:58 PM

Oh, I love Lilligant's design, reminds me quite a bit of Lilymon XD.

I think it's a very well-designed Pokemon for the females.

Although my favourite Grass type this gen is the almighty Leavanny.

はるひ
11th June 2011, 8:00 PM
Cherrium > Torrtea and Sceptile

I as @sceptile, none of them are bad. I learned from my first run of the game and I now I have better stats. My Gothitelle has a 200+ Sp Attk now... wayyy better than before and it's not at level 100... farr from it.

I looked at the stats from my old game... the first ever game and damnnnnnnnnnn my Emboar has a freaking high Sp Attack.

oh and I love my monkey. better than the other monkies

Typhlosionvsworld
11th June 2011, 8:01 PM
Oh, I love Lilligant's design, reminds me quite a bit of Lilymon XD.

I think it's a very well-designed Pokemon for the females.

Although my favourite Grass type this gen is the almighty Leavanny.

I agree that Levanny is powerful, and I was very impressed with the bug types this gen.

Grey Wind
11th June 2011, 8:07 PM
@sceptile, none of them are bad.
Erm, I know. That was my point :/

Typhlosionvsworld
11th June 2011, 8:09 PM
Is Audino a useful Pokemon offensively? I know it has good defenses.

Toge Tamer
11th June 2011, 8:12 PM
Gah I can't choose. Sceptile or Torterra? I love them both. ;_;

As a Grass type, I love Servine and Maractus. They're so cool!

Also, I love the praise Bug types are getting this generation. It's probably because it's the only generation that's included multiple with different type combinations.

Cassiopeia
11th June 2011, 8:14 PM
Is Audino a useful Pokemon offensively? I know it has good defenses.

It has base 60 attack and sp attack :/

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 8:15 PM
Sceptile and Torterra are both pretty close, but I'd say Torterra is a bit better.

Grei
11th June 2011, 8:16 PM
Cherrium > Torrtea and Sceptile

I as @sceptile, none of them are bad. I learned from my first run of the game and I now I have better stats. My Gothitelle has a 200+ Sp Attk now... wayyy better than before and it's not at level 100... farr from it.

I looked at the stats from my old game... the first ever game and damnnnnnnnnnn my Emboar has a freaking high Sp Attack.

oh and I love my monkey. better than the other monkies

*Cherrim, not Cherrium

I love Cherrim's design, but that doesn't make up how completely useless it is in battle. It's not even pretty to look at unless the sun is shining. :S

On the topic of good Pokemon statistically... I just checked the potential of my Pokemon in Black at the Gear Station.

My Dewott is "relatively superior" in stats! I'm very happy that it has high IVs. It's Jolly, and now I feel like I should evolve it... but I don't really want to. It rocks with Eviolite.

Even better, my shiny Staraptor--even though he's Careful in nature--was checked, and his Attack, Speed, and HP IVs are all 31!

The only "decent" Pokemon on my team is Gigalith, who is Impish and has a high Defense stat, and Sandstorm to boost Sp. Def, which makes up for it's apparently-low IVs.

streetlightdsb
11th June 2011, 8:17 PM

It has a good movepool though, learning the elemental beams, shadow ball etc. Might be worth using if you're really up for it.

Typhlosionvsworld
11th June 2011, 8:18 PM

That sucks but so does Blissey

The Fad.
11th June 2011, 8:19 PM
I'm not a big fan of training an Audino personally. It's great to level up but as an actual Pokemon, meh

Grei
11th June 2011, 8:22 PM
That sucks but so does Blissey

But Blissey has amazing Sp. Def and HP. Audino isn't as good. I like Audino only because she gives out a lot of EXP.

Grey Wind
11th June 2011, 8:25 PM
I never even considered using Audino. I only use it to train. It's been added to the list of cries that I'll never forget, along with Zubat and Tentacool.

Typhlosionvsworld
11th June 2011, 8:28 PM
I never even considered using Audino. I only use it to train. It's been added to the list of cries that I'll never forget, along with Zubat and Tentacool.

I killed over a hundred before I decided to catch one.

SphealsFTW
11th June 2011, 8:46 PM
I love Audino. It was my second completely random shiny since a shiny Elektrike (that I fainted) in Sapphire a loooong time ago... :)

LexSuicune
11th June 2011, 9:50 PM
Audino's definitely gonna be on my team, I love its design.

Rubicante
11th June 2011, 9:51 PM
But Blissey has amazing Sp. Def and HP. Audino isn't as good. I like Audino only because she gives out a lot of EXP.

Blissey's whole design annoys me. No matter what, I don't think I could ever bring myself to train one. Audino is cute, though. I can see it getting an evolution someday. Also, it's interesting that Chansey and co. are female only, but Audino can be both Male and Female. That makes me happy.

Grei
11th June 2011, 10:56 PM
Blissey's whole design annoys me. No matter what, I don't think I could ever bring myself to train one. Audino is cute, though. I can see it getting an evolution someday. Also, it's interesting that Chansey and co. are female only, but Audino can be both Male and Female. That makes me happy.

Comparatively, I think Audino looks really deformed, and I loved my Blissey when I trained one. She's useful in the Elite Four for saving on Full Restores and Hyper Potions (yaaay Softboiled).

Geekachu
11th June 2011, 11:15 PM
Lilligant+Own Tempo+Petal Dance+Quiver Dance= AMAZING!
I wanted to try out Sawsbuck, but I havent gotten to it yet.

I actually really like Sawsbuck. I chose him because of his design and to be honest I wasn't disappointed. Its stats are quite rounded but it's attack is quite good, and it can take a hit or two. One thing that definitely saved Sawsbuck was Wild Charge, which even without STAB packs a punch. In the E4 Sawsbuck was one of my saviours, Jump Kick allowed it to obliterate foes as such as Grimsley's Bisharp, and Horn Leech is a good way to recover. Usually when I have Grass Types on my team I under use them, but I don't think I've ever struggled with Sawsbuck. I'd definitely recommend it.

General Nonsense
11th June 2011, 11:20 PM
I don't like Audino because it creeps me out.

http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/ken_sugimori/update_bw/531.png

It's staring into my soul O_o

Grei
11th June 2011, 11:21 PM
I actually really like Sawsbuck. I chose him because of his design and to be honest I wasn't disappointed. Its stats are quite rounded but it's attack is quite good, and it can take a hit or two. One thing that definitely saved Sawsbuck was Wild Charge, which even without STAB packs a punch. In the E4 Sawsbuck was one of my saviours, Jump Kick allowed it to obliterate foes as such as Grimsley's Bisharp, and Horn Leech is a good way to recover. Usually when I have Grass Types on my team I under use them, but I don't think I've ever struggled with Sawsbuck. I'd definitely recommend it.

This definitely sounds like Lilligant.

Only... without the Fighting weakness, and with access to more attacks other than that of the Grass-type. That's Lilligant's one flaw, although she doesn't suffer too badly from it.

Geekachu
11th June 2011, 11:25 PM
This definitely sounds like Lilligant.

Only... without the Fighting weakness, and with access to more attacks other than that of the Grass-type. That's Lilligant's one flaw, although she doesn't suffer too badly from it.

Yeah, that is one flaw. However I also have Reuniclus on my team, so I guess Sawsbuck hasn't met a Fighting Type yet :D But it's good that Normal gives him an immunity to Ghost too, so he was helpful against Shauntal (bar Chandelure)

Grey Wind
11th June 2011, 11:37 PM
I wanted to use Sawsbuck but didn't have room. (so many good Pokemon this Gen ;_; ) I want to use one in Grey, the form changing will be nice to see. And it has a pretty good moveset, and the Ghost immunity.

The Oncoming Storm
11th June 2011, 11:40 PM
I dont like grass types. I always have something else to cover its type advantages

Geekachu
11th June 2011, 11:46 PM
I wanted to use Sawsbuck but didn't have room. (so many good Pokemon this Gen ;_; ) I want to use one in Grey, the form changing will be nice to see. And it has a pretty good moveset, and the Ghost immunity.

YAY! Sawsbuck love! :D But I agree, that's the only thing that bothered me in the slightest about the amount of Pokemon they introduced, there's just too many good Pokemon to choose from ;_; However it's a lot better than Diamond, where to me the choice was far and few

Dattebayo
12th June 2011, 12:24 AM
I just simply wish GF gave grass types better movepools so they can cover most of their weaknesses.

manifesto
12th June 2011, 1:20 AM
I just simply wish GF gave grass types better movepools so they can cover most of their weaknesses.

I agree but mostly because I'm more partial to grass types since they're my favorite type.

SphealsFTW
12th June 2011, 3:14 AM
I can't remember the last time I've used a Grass type pokemon :/. They just have too many weaknesses for me and not a good enough move pool to cover them.

I love how Emboar can learn Scald :3.

MetalFlygon08
12th June 2011, 5:37 AM
Yes, my ingame emboar was

Scad
Flamthrower
Brick Break
Head Smash.

Also on Sawsbuck, another game saver is it's ability to randly learn Thunder Wave. The added Normal type was really a blessing in disguise. It may have added that fighting weakness, but it also gained the ghost immunity, another STAB, and the Normal type's tendency to learn a HUGE variety of attack types. (Seriously, at E4 my Sawsbuck {Named Berd [get reference?]} had Horn Leech, Charm{Later Double-Edge}, Jump Kick, Wild Charge)

Dattebayo
12th June 2011, 6:16 AM
Eh, normal moves aren't that benefitual as they lack SE effects, not to mention being resisted by common types. It best to teach Sawsbuck a different type of move other than Normal.

General Nonsense
12th June 2011, 6:24 AM
Eh, normal moves aren't that benefitual as they lack SE effects, not to mention being resisted by common types. It best to teach Sawsbuck a different type of move other than Normal.

A STAB normal move is good, even if it does only hit things for neutral damage

Chairman
12th June 2011, 9:37 AM
I don't really like sawbusk, i actually like stantler better, something about changing with the seasons doesn't relate to me......

Too bad stantler sucks.. :(

SasakiThePikachu
12th June 2011, 11:40 AM

But to be fair Blissey is a 3rd stage form while Audino is only a basic non-evolver, so you can't really compare the two.

Poor Audino...used and abused for exp grinding...

When I raise my Sawsbuck, I'm giving it Return. Normal ain't usually great, but STAB sure is. Include atk EV training and Adamant nature, and that's a decent poke.

RegiGuy
12th June 2011, 4:46 PM
My favorite Pokemon to use competitively this gen is Whimsicott mainly because of its ability.

Typhlosionvsworld
12th June 2011, 4:49 PM
My favorite Pokemon to use competitively this gen is Whimsicott mainly because of its ability.

I never understood the excitement of competetive battling.

RegiGuy
12th June 2011, 4:56 PM
I like competitive battling because it's a challenge for me.

King Lawliet
12th June 2011, 5:09 PM
Some don't understand the excitement of facing a team of 6 Arceus all spamming Double Team.

jolteon135
12th June 2011, 5:31 PM

Because you don't have a competitive nature. The excitement is in outsmarting the opponent. Most of the time when two good/equal players are paired against each other, their actual teams only play a small role. It usually comes down to how they use the team (strategy) and that's what makes it exciting. You know that you can beat the opponent if you can just out-think him but he's trying to do the same thing to you. It's like a game of chess.

Then there's also the fun of just outright crushing someone who has horrible team/doesn't know to play. Not as exciting as beating a good/equal player but it's can be enjoyable sometimes, especially on a bad day.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 5:32 PM
Competitive is meh. I might've done it, but then I discovered how hard and time-consuming even making the team is. I don't even like to train in-game.

King Lawliet
12th June 2011, 5:54 PM
Could always just use simulators to save time

SphealsFTW
12th June 2011, 7:28 PM
I tried competitive battling once, but then I realized how badly my pokemon sucked compared to all of the flawless ones... And I still don't know how to get a certain Hidden Power, lol. ;P

Grei
12th June 2011, 7:52 PM
So... has anyone been disappointed with Gigalith? I have one that's Impish and has "decent" IVs, and I find it to be really good. Besides my own experience, though, it seems like a number of people weren't impressed with it.

Grey Wind
12th June 2011, 7:56 PM
Gigalith has a badass design, but I don't like it's movepool. For in-game, I usually just like to hit hard, but Gigalith doesn't have many options. And plus, I couldn't use it, because I couldn't evolve Boldore :S

Rubicante
12th June 2011, 7:57 PM
So... has anyone been disappointed with Gigalith? I have one that's Impish and has "decent" IVs, and I find it to be really good. Besides my own experience, though, it seems like a number of people weren't impressed with it.

I've yet to EV train my Roggenrolla. What would you say is a good moveset for it? Is it best to put it in a Trick Room team or use Rock Polish? It seems like Game Freak made so many Pokémon with great potential in Unova. Even Watchog is fairly strong for an early Pokémon. I feel bad for all the Kanto Pokémon that have awful stat placement.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 7:58 PM
Gigalith is awesome. Mine, unfortunately, has a Modest nature and I didn't even notice until the 7th Gym.

Geekachu
12th June 2011, 7:59 PM

Same, personally I find spending hours IV breeding, chain Egg Breeding, EV Breeding, general lab testing sucks the fun out of the game and makes it more of a calculation. And the fact that if your beloved competetive team isn't the best, then you've done all that work without any good result.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 8:02 PM
And the fact that if your beloved competetive team isn't the best, then you've done all that work without any good result.

Yeah... that would piss me off.

jolteon135
12th June 2011, 8:25 PM
Same, personally I find spending hours IV breeding, chain Egg Breeding, EV Breeding, general lab testing sucks the fun out of the game and makes it more of a calculation. And the fact that if your beloved competetive team isn't the best, then you've done all that work without any good result.
That's why there are simulators like Pokemon Online so you can test out a team before actually spending hours to breeding for it.

Grei
12th June 2011, 8:29 PM
I've yet to EV train my Roggenrolla. What would you say is a good moveset for it? Is it best to put it in a Trick Room team or use Rock Polish?

I've never tried Rock Polish, but Gigalith is so slow that I doubt Rock Polish would help it that much. It's speed stat is way too miniscule, and giving it a speed-enhancing nature isn't worth it (mine's Impish). The moveset I use with my Gigalith is:

-Sandstorm
-Stone Edge
-Rock Smash
-Earthquake

Sandstorm is there because it boosts Gigalith's Sp. Def by 50%, and to add to the boost, my Gigalith is holding a Smooth Rock. Stone Edge is there for STAB damage, Rock Smash is there for coverage (my team doesn't have a Fighting-type, and Gigalith doesn't get much coverage without it), and Earthquake is there, again, for strong coverage.

This set works for me because half of my team (Gigalith, Torterra, and Reuniclus) is immune to Sandstorm damage. I don't use it on a Trick Room team, although I imagine it'd do very well on one (especially with Reuniclus and Sandstorm).

If I were to have made a Roggenrola with any Egg Moves, they probably would have been Curse, maybe Heavy Slam (Steel-type coverage) or Lock-On (for Stone Edge).

All in all, Gigalith's pretty good from what I can tell. Very defensive and hard to take down, especially when Impish, with a Sp. Def boost from Sandstorm, and with Sturdy. The only problem is coverage, which isn't too crippling if you have the right moveset. Gigalith is kind of like Lilligant, who can have two status moves and only two offensive moves and still be useful.

Gigalith is awesome. Mine, unfortunately, has a Modest nature and I didn't even notice until the 7th Gym.

I hate it when that happens. In my original run of White, I didn't even check my Samurott's nature until post-game, and it was Impish. My original Reuniclus had a Careful nature, I think.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 8:31 PM
I hate it when that happens. In my original run of White, I didn't even check my Samurott's nature until post-game, and it was Impish. My original Reuniclus had a Careful nature, I think.

Mine had a Quiet nature =D

はるひ
12th June 2011, 8:37 PM
I never used a Gigalith because I wasn't really feeling them. Also I liked Onix better.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 8:38 PM
I never used a Gigalith because I wasn't really feeling them.

I would hope not.

The Oncoming Storm
12th June 2011, 8:40 PM
Ive yet to use giga lith but on my 4th run through i might. I keep having to play through repeatedly beacause there are so many pokes i wana try out.

はるひ
12th June 2011, 8:42 PM
Speaking of that, what Pokes does anyone want to try out but never got around to it or people tell you they are not so good?

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 8:44 PM
I keep wanting to try out a Terrakion and Kyurem, but I just... don't.

SphealsFTW
12th June 2011, 8:47 PM
Speaking of that, what Pokes does anyone want to try out but never got around to it or people tell you they are not so good?
Golurk, Klingklang, Mandibuzz, Archeops, and Maractus ;P.

Grei
12th June 2011, 8:50 PM

Vanilluxe, Bouffalant, Gothitelle (shocking, yes), Haxorus, Chandelure, Sawsbuck, Carracosta, Archeops, Sigilyph, Escavalier, Cofagrigus (kind of), Durant, Heatmor, Ferrothorn, Galvantula, Stoutland, Sawk.

I want to try them so badly, but I would want to run through the game with one, and I don't have it in me to run through the game a sixth, seventh, eighth time.

Golurk, Klingklang, Mandibuzz, Archeops, and Maractus ;P.

I've used Golurk and Mandibuzz.

Golurk was alright, but I put a lot of effort into evolving him before the League and ended up not using him. I liked him better as a Golett, he's just... not that fantastic, from my experience. I imagine it'd be better with No Guard as its ability.

And Mandibuzz is a great defensive Pokemon, but her movepool is kind of crappy. Her Atk is higher than her Sp. Atk, but the strongest physical Dark-type attack she gets is Punishment. Other than that, though, she's very good. Just don't use her as your Dark-type. Scrafty is a good Dark-type partner for her, since he's not prone to the Psychic weakness that the Dark-type brings.

はるひ
12th June 2011, 8:55 PM
That is a shocker XD (i hope it was because of meee *JK*)

I wanna try and Renuclus but I cant really get myself into trying one. Liepard I've always wanted to try and finish the whole game with it but people tell me that it isn't good. I mean it's a kitteh D:

Klinklang (ive tried Klang). I want to try a Swoobat as well.

I've looking foward to trying a Dugtrio, Milotic, Cherrim and a Togekiss

SphealsFTW
12th June 2011, 8:59 PM
Vanilluxe, Bouffalant, Gothitelle (shocking, yes), Haxorus, Chandelure, Sawsbuck, Carracosta, Archeops, Sigilyph, Escavalier, Cofagrigus (kind of), Durant, Heatmor, Ferrothorn, Galvantula, Stoutland, Sawk.

I want to try them so badly, but I would want to run through the game with one, and I don't have it in me to run through the game a sixth, seventh, eighth time.

I've used Golurk and Mandibuzz.

Golurk was alright, but I put a lot of effort into evolving him before the League and ended up not using him. I liked him better as a Golett, he's just... not that fantastic, from my experience. I imagine it'd be better with No Guard as its ability.

And Mandibuzz is a great defensive Pokemon, but her movepool is kind of crappy. Her Atk is higher than her Sp. Atk, but the strongest physical Dark-type attack she gets is Punishment. Other than that, though, she's very good. Just don't use her as your Dark-type. Scrafty is a good Dark-type partner for her, since he's not prone to the Psychic weakness that the Dark-type brings.
Yeah, No Guard + Dynamic Punch would've been beautiful ;).
And I guess that Mandibuzz is just better in competitive battling... in game battling is really just based on pure power, which Mandibuzz obviously lacks </3.

That is a shocker XD (i hope it was because of meee *JK*)

I wanna try and Renuclus but I cant really get myself into trying one. Liepard I've always wanted to try and finish the whole game with it but people tell me that it isn't good. I mean it's a kitteh D:

Klinklang (ive tried Klang). I want to try a Swoobat as well.

I've looking foward to trying a Dugtrio, Milotic, Cherrim and a Togekiss
Reuniclus is really good in-game. You should try one ;3.
Speaking of the Klink family, it's sad how it has so can learn so many Sp.Att moves even though it's Sp.Att well... sucks :/.

R_N
12th June 2011, 9:01 PM
People need to stop complaining about Mandibuzz's attack pool.
It has 65 base Attack and 55 base Special attack
The difference is basically negligible and it at least gets Nasty Plot so if you ever really want to use it to hit things may as well use that in conjunction with Dark Pulse & Air Slash.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 9:04 PM

Reuniclus with Magic Guard and Life Orb is amazing.

Geekachu
12th June 2011, 9:07 PM
Anyone who hasn't tried out Archeops is definitely missing something.

Personally, Gothitelle, Golurk, Cofagrigus, Eelektross, Heatmor, Hydreigon, Stoutland, Zebstrika, Swoobat, Scolipede, Whimsicott, Liligant, Krookodile, Crustle, Carracosta, Garbodor, Beartic, Mienshao, Conkeldurr, among many others.

In the third version I plan to use Serperior, Volcarona, Vanilluxe, Scrafty, Jellicent, and someone else.

Darn, too many Pokemon to choose from.

Grey Wind
12th June 2011, 9:09 PM
I know how you feel. It took me weeks to decide on my team :S

I really want to use Glourk, Archeops, Carracosta, Galvantula, Ferrothorn, Whimsicott, Serperior and Darmanitan mainly. Along side my normal team, I also train a Scrafty, Reuniclus and Chandelure as reserves.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 9:13 PM
In the third version I'm planning on going with Samurott, Sawsbuck, Darmanitan, Hydreigon. Basically the cool ones I didn't use this time around (except for Samurott).

はるひ
12th June 2011, 9:17 PM
Reuniclus is really good in-game. You should try one ;3.
Speaking of the Klink family, it's sad how it has so can learn so many Sp.Att moves even though it's Sp.Att well... sucks :/.

Problem is it's speed and defense. It has a high special attack but it's just sooo slow and I like to be able to move before my foe.

Renuclus is a heavy hitter but a lightweight when it comes to defense. With Caitlin's, I was able to OHKO hers with dark pulse and it wasnt an STAB. But when you play as say a dark type, be careful.

I wanna try one, but this fanbase kinda prevents me from trying it.

as for Kink, I noticed that, the only good move it has is gear grind

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 9:18 PM
Reuniclus is a heavy hitter but a lightweight when it comes to defense.

It has 110 HP, 75 Defense and 85 Sp. Defense. How the hell is that "lightweight"?

SphealsFTW
12th June 2011, 9:20 PM
Problem is it's speed and defense. It has a high special attack but it's just sooo slow and I like to be able to move before my foe.

Renuclus is a heavy hitter but a lightweight when it comes to defense. With Caitlin's, I was able to OHKO hers with dark pulse and it wasnt an STAB. But when you play as say a dark type, be careful.

I wanna try one, but this fanbase kinda prevents me from trying it.
Well are you planning on using it in game? Or do you plan on using it in wifi battles? ;P

And it's speed isn't that huge of a problem. Maybe try giving it a Quick Claw? xD But Life Orb would be much better. Try running Trick Room, perhaps?

I also wouldn't call it "lightweight," due to its massive HP stat. ;3

R_N
12th June 2011, 9:20 PM
It has 110 HP, 75 Defense and 85 Sp. Defense. How the hell is that "lightweight"?

Yeah one of the (outright ridiculous overall) reasons for being nominated for Ubers was that it hit hard and had fantastic bulk in addition to one of the best abilities in all of Pokemon

It's kind of sort of a big deal.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 9:22 PM
Reuniclus was like, kissed by God. With Magic Guard and a Life Orb, it's moves hit super hard, and give it a Quiet nature, and it's perfect for Trick Room teams. Mine has a Bold nature, though. I like the Defense boost.

Chibi_Muffin
12th June 2011, 9:24 PM
I personally didn't miss out on anything. I caught and trained everything I wanted to at least level 50. I enjoyed it, so will do the same in future games.

Reuniclus? Frail? Not really. It's a slow, bulky thing. Then again, mine is Relaxed, which may explain things. They're very slow though. ^_^;

はるひ

My Driftblim has a very high HP like 400 and it can still get OHKO'd.

Anyway, the Pokemon that I use doesnt have a 400+ HP and SpAttk however I like it because I can take hits better. Especially from Hydreigon.

My Conkeldurr is a lightweight in defense because it can almost get OHKO'd by an electric attack and other special attacks.

Okay maybe I should be quiet before I start something with the fanbase.

KuroiMawile
I kind'f what to try Accelgor, but those defenses are so glaring, and I don't trust that spA. to OHKO things. Maybe I'll force myself for the 3rd Game.
Even though I loved it the day I saw it, I haven't tried Krookodile in-game.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 9:25 PM
Reuniclus? Frail? Not really. It's a slow, bulky thing. Then again, mine is Relaxed, which may explain things. They're very slow though. ^_^;

Relaxed is a pretty good nature for Reuniclus, imo.

Hilijix
12th June 2011, 9:25 PM

Definitely not. Gigalith is awesome at my Trick Room team. Thanks to the the Wide Lens, it can throw off Stone Edges and Rock Slides without much worry. It still misses sometimes, though.

I don't have a Reuniclus, but they are a threat to my team, especially when used correctly. Thankfully I've only seen a few people on Wi-Fi that have.

SasakiThePikachu
12th June 2011, 9:27 PM
I'm planning to raise a Reuniclus on White with Timid nature. I'm in love with its sp atk and movepool, but that speed hindrance scares me a little...

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 9:30 PM
I'm planning to raise a Reuniclus on White with Timid nature. I'm in love with its sp atk and movepool, but that speed hindrance scares me a little...

Timid is pretty bad nature on Reuniclus... his Speed is so low, it's not worth trying to get up. Go with Bold, Calm, Modest, Quiet, or Relaxed.

SphealsFTW
12th June 2011, 9:31 PM
You'd be wasting your time though... because even with a 31 IV in speed and a Timid nature, Reuniclus would still be outsped by a lot of things o3o.

はるひ
So is it okay to like Gothitelle then?

Chibi_Muffin
Relaxed is a pretty good nature for Reuniclus, imo.

Really? YAY! ^_^

My guys got the short end of the stick this gen, nature-wise. Careful Cofagrigus, Jellicent and Volcarona, Impish Accelgor and Hydreigon, Sassy Mienshao and Serperior, Relaxed Simipour, Jolly Whimsicott... yeah.

On the flip side, I got Bold Vanniluxe and Musharna, the aforementioned Reuniclus, Lonely Haxorus, and best of all? MODEST CHANDELURE! =D

Of course, I don't mind rubbish natures, but I am surprised that quite a few ended up Careful. @_@; Another weird thing is that none of my main battling Pokémon are Brave. XD

Edit: Gothitelle's nice. It's not personally my thing, so I can't tell you anything from a battling standpoint. But, IMO, there are much worse Pokémon out there.

Geekachu
12th June 2011, 9:32 PM
In the third version I'm planning on going with Samurott, Sawsbuck, Darmanitan, Hydreigon. Basically the cool ones I didn't use this time around (except for Samurott).

Samurott, Sawsbuck and Darmanitan? Ha, those are in my White team :D Darmanitan certainly doesn't disappoint. And I also had Reuniclus on my White Team. It's slow, however its speed was never really an issue for me, it's Sp.A is amazing which made me dismiss its flaws in Speed.

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 9:34 PM
My guys got the short end of the stick this gen, nature-wise. Careful Cofagrigus, Jellicent and Volcarona, Impish Accelgor and Hydreigon, Sassy Mienshao and Serperior, Relaxed Simipour, Jolly Whimsicott... yeah.

Wow... those are horrible.

On the flip side, I got Bold Vanniluxe and Musharna, the aforementioned Reuniclus, Lonely Haxorus, and best of all? MODEST CHANDELURE! =D

Lonely Haxorus isn't bad, but it's not too great, either, because Haxorus has a pretty good bulk. Naughty, Adamant or Jolly are the best natures for him. Bold Vanniluxe is pretty good, Bold Musharna is great.

Cassiopeia
12th June 2011, 9:38 PM
Wow... those are horrible.

Lonely Haxorus isn't bad, but it's not too great, either, because Haxorus has a pretty good bulk. Naughty, Adamant or Jolly are the best natures for him. Bold Vanniluxe is pretty good, Bold Musharna is great.

I am so lucky I got a Jolly Axew. But then again, I acciedentally used my Sun Stone on a Careful Petilil @.@

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 9:39 PM
I am so lucky I got a Jolly Axew. But then again, I acciedentally used my Sun Stone on a Careful Petilil @.@

Oh, that sucks.

SasakiThePikachu
12th June 2011, 9:43 PM
You'd be wasting your time though... because even with a 31 IV in speed and a Timid nature, Reuniclus would still be outsped by a lot of things o3o.

Wah. Don't tell me that - I spent like most of yesterday breeding for that nature!

Well, never mind, I'll just EV train until my thumbs bleed and hope for the best. I once trained an Impish Togekiss that kicked butt despite his obvious disadvantage (and he wasn't even EV trained!), so maybe I'll get lucky again.

Yes, Silver, it's ok to like Gothitelle :) I like Gothitelle too...I can't quite think of a nickname impressive enough for mine, though. I already used 'Elizabeth' and 'Eugenie' on other pokemon. Sigh.

Lucky this gen - adamant Mienshao. Not-so-lucky this gen - bold Serperior. Nooo.

Chibi_Muffin
12th June 2011, 9:44 PM
Oh... that's bad. Then again, you can get multiple Sun Stones, right? (I think)

Oh, and like I said, I know some of the natures aren't very good. I don't mind though. Still good enough for me!

Grey Wind
12th June 2011, 9:49 PM
Most of my natures were good. It took me ages to realise that the Zoroark I wanted to be a Sp.Attacker was Adamant >.<
Although I was delighted with my Adamant Braviary xD

Mister_SGG
12th June 2011, 9:52 PM
My Samurott came out Adamant, so he made for a nice physical sweeper.

Out of the six times I reseted White, Zekrom was always Calm or Hardy >8(

Cassiopeia
12th June 2011, 10:00 PM
My Samurott came out Adamant, so he made for a nice physical sweeper.

Out of the six times I reseted White, Zekrom was always Calm or Hardy >8(

Better than Careful. I have a Careful Zekrom AND a Careful Victini @.@
This was before I cared about natures.

General Nonsense
12th June 2011, 10:22 PM
So is it okay to like Gothitelle then?

Yes it is. Was anyone saying it's not? (I haven't been here for very long, so I don't know if this conversation has happened before)

Cassiopeia
12th June 2011, 10:26 PM
Yes it is. Was anyone saying it's not? (I haven't been here for very long, so I don't know if this conversation has happened before)

A couple hundred pages back Sinnoh Champion, Electivire Addict, and -Silver- were having a debate about Gothitelle
EDIT: And ~Sapphire Sceptie~

Grey Wind
12th June 2011, 10:28 PM
A couple hundred pages back Sinnoh Champion, Electivire Addict, and -Silver- were having a debate about Gothitelle
Hey, I was there too!

Well, in the old team thread anyway.

Cassiopeia
12th June 2011, 10:32 PM
Hey, I was there too!

Well, in the old team thread anyway.

Fine *adds to list*
Gothitelle is fine, IMO. I just like Reuniclus more.

thatguycharizard34
12th June 2011, 10:39 PM
If were talking about 5th gen psychics, I'd go for Reuniclus 'cuz it looks cool :P

General psychics would have to be Gardevoir

R_N
12th June 2011, 10:40 PM
My Driftblim has a very high HP like 400 and it can still get OHKO'd.

Anyway, the Pokemon that I use doesnt have a 400+ HP and SpAttk however I like it because I can take hits better. Especially from Hydreigon.

My Conkeldurr is a lightweight in defense because it can almost get OHKO'd by an electric attack and other special attacks.

Okay maybe I should be quiet before I start something with the fanbase.

Drifblim also has significantly less defenses (and no recovery, I think).
Conkeldurr isn't meant to be taking that many special attacks.

It's like calling Blissey a lightweight because if a stick so much as punches her she dies.

Rubicante
12th June 2011, 11:00 PM

I want to raise every single Pokémon. I EV trained a Raticate once. It did better than you would expect, honestly. Now that Butterfree gets Quiver Dance, I want to try it out again, too. It's a shame Beedrill doesn't get Drill Run though, like Fearow. Spears are practically drills.

SasakiThePikachu
12th June 2011, 11:27 PM
I want to raise every single Pokémon. I EV trained a Raticate once. It did better than you would expect, honestly. Now that Butterfree gets Quiver Dance, I want to try it out again, too. It's a shame Beedrill doesn't get Drill Run though, like Fearow. Spears are practically drills.

^ Yes, same here with the Quiver Dance Butterfree.

It's funny - I've ignored it for ten years, but now it's got a new move, I'm all over it like a fat kid on cake :D

Still, I probably shouldn't expect much from a poke that reaches its final evolution stage at level 10.

Aenea
12th June 2011, 11:40 PM
EDIT: And ~Sapphire Sceptie~

hahaha oh God let's not being up that old discussion again XD

Drifblim also has significantly less defenses (and no recovery, I think).
Conkeldurr isn't meant to be taking that many special attacks.

It's like calling Blissey a lightweight because if a stick so much as punches her she dies.

I hope you're kidding about the blissey, it can have 700 hp and a very good def if it's ev trained.

R_N
12th June 2011, 11:47 PM
hahaha oh God let's not being up that old discussion again XD

I hope you're kidding about the blissey, it can have 700 hp and a very good def if it's ev trained.

A solid physical fighting move will still take it down and most other physical hits will take off a massive chunk in general.
10 defense isn't going to go very far even if it's trained to max (130)

The Oncoming Storm
12th June 2011, 11:55 PM
^ Yes, same here with the Quiver Dance Butterfree.

It's funny - I've ignored it for ten years, but now it's got a new move, I'm all over it like a fat kid on cake :D

Still, I probably shouldn't expect much from a poke that reaches its final evolution stage at level 10.

Not true ive watched Kwandaoren66 on youtube pull off full sweeps with sleep powder quiver dance bug buzz butterfree.

Ive gone through the game 3 times and these are the pokes ive used samurott, emboar, serperior, galvantula, zoroark, scrafty, excadrill, krookodile, jellicent, archeops, zekrom , blitzle, reuniclus, musharna, braviary, chandlure, darmanitan, carracosta, and haxorus.

I still want to use bisharp, Bem, mienfoo, vanilluxe, hydriegon, conkeldurr, golurk, cofagrigous, gigalith, swana, liligant, whimsicott, klinklang, venipede, and electross

SasakiThePikachu
13th June 2011, 12:09 AM
Not true ive watched Kwandaoren66 on youtube pull off full sweeps with sleep powder quiver dance bug buzz butterfree.

*drools*

Yeah, that's the dream. I'm just too much of a realist to hope it's going to be the best pokemon I've ever raised, or even as good as Galvantula/Volcarona.

I am looking forward to raising a jolly Haxorus on White. Got me egg all ready to go!! >:D

Rubicante
13th June 2011, 12:23 AM
A solid physical fighting move will still take it down and most other physical hits will take off a massive chunk in general.
10 defense isn't going to go very far even if it's trained to max (130)
You could make a sandwich and use the bathroom in the time it takes for Blissey to faint.

NeohopeSTF
13th June 2011, 12:33 AM
Hmm i wonder if someone could make a sub with ninjask or something then baton pass out to a blissey.

Mijuwott
13th June 2011, 1:09 AM
You could make a sandwich and use the bathroom in the time it takes for Blissey to faint.

My Blissey's Hp was 704 and it took for EVER for it to faint..after awhile i took her off my team from wifi battles xD

miju..

R_N
13th June 2011, 5:10 AM
Hmm i wonder if someone could make a sub with ninjask or something then baton pass out to a blissey.

Ninjask would only be passing 81 HP subs. Assuming it could indeed pass it off, as it requires the opponent to not break it after it's set up.

The Oncoming Storm
13th June 2011, 5:25 AM
It would have to be a better sub passer then ninjask. IDK who though

R_N
13th June 2011, 5:30 AM
Well why pass to Bliss anyway. You will probably get one free hit, right? It seems like it would be better to just bring her in on a special attack, which will be negligible against her. Less time consuming, at least, and you don't risk just flinging her into a bad situation.

The Oncoming Storm
13th June 2011, 5:50 AM
I was just trying to say if he wanted to try it he needed a better passer

XXD17
13th June 2011, 6:02 AM
Really? YAY! ^_^

Of course, I don't mind rubbish natures, but I am surprised that quite a few ended up Careful. @_@; Another weird thing is that none of my main battling Pokémon are Brave. XD

Edit: Gothitelle's nice. It's not personally my thing, so I can't tell you anything from a battling standpoint. But, IMO, there are much worse Pokémon out there.

Did you get those on the first try?! If so then awesome!!! It took me forever to get a naughty axew with mold-breaker, a modest litwick, and a decent deino...my relaxed snivy, brave archen, and serious drilbur weren't the best either...but after EV training, they are pretty good, especially the serp and the excadrill...

Rubicante
13th June 2011, 7:50 AM
I'm growing to actually like Gothitelle now. It's a shame the anime made her look so hideous. They even gave her an annoying voice, too. Luckily, Gothita was simply adorable in the recent episode. Is there anything unique it can do?

R_N
13th June 2011, 8:08 AM
I'm growing to actually like Gothitelle now. It's a shame the anime made her look so hideous. They even gave her an annoying voice, too. Luckily, Gothita was simply adorable in the recent episode. Is there anything unique it can do?

Not really, so far as I know/can tell she's just an average psychic type

Maybe once she gets Shadow Tag something will come up?

Chairman
13th June 2011, 1:50 PM
In my first playthrough of black it took me AGES to finally catch a drilbur.... Turns out it was..... Bold :( Not even it's base stat could save it...

Mister_SGG
13th June 2011, 1:56 PM
I tried out a Naughty Excadrill, but his hindered SDef was starting to show so I went and caught an Adamant one.

Dr. Leggs
13th June 2011, 4:53 PM
Gothitelle can't really do anything that other Psychic-types can't. Even with Shadow Tag, it won't be anything to write home about.

はるひ
13th June 2011, 5:02 PM
Inb4 "she's nawt good at anythanggg!1!!! RAWRRRRR

Dr. Leggs
13th June 2011, 5:05 PM
Gothitelle's good at some things. It's just that other Pokemon are better at them.

Lorde
13th June 2011, 5:06 PM

Nobody would say that. I've yet to see any Gothitelle hate. Most people seem to think it's an average Pokemon. I actually used to really like Gothitelle, but I lost interest in it after a while since other new Pokemon were revealed. But it was the first Generation 5 Pokemon that I liked, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.

Grei
13th June 2011, 5:49 PM

But two people already said she's nothing special, so you're not "inb4" anything anyway...

Also, you needn't get so offended every time Gothitelle is brought up and people aren't drooling over it. :rolleyes: We're all allowed to have our opinions on Pokemon, and when Gothitelle's competition is Reuniclus and Beheeyem, it's only natural that people wouldn't be enamored over it.

Hilijix
13th June 2011, 5:51 PM
Gothitelle's a good Sp. Wall, but it's a shame it can't learn Focus Blast to hurt Dark types.

PokemonOwn
13th June 2011, 5:52 PM
It's weird. I really like Reuniclus/Gothitelle, but I think Beheeyem is quite terrible. Slow speed, and quite frail, defensively. However, I like the pun on it's name:

Elgyem (L-G-M) = Little Green Man
Beheeyem (B-E-M) Bug-Eyed Monster.

That is awesome.

Geekachu
13th June 2011, 5:55 PM

That is awesome.

Hydreigon, Fraxure, Sawsbuck, Mandibuzz, they're all great Gen V names.

はるひ
13th June 2011, 6:02 PM
But two people already said she's nothing special, so you're not "inb4" anything anyway...

Also, you needn't get so offended every time Gothitelle is brought up and people aren't drooling over it. :rolleyes: We're all allowed to have our opinions on Pokemon, and when Gothitelle's competition is Reuniclus and Beheeyem, it's only natural that people wouldn't be enamored over it.

I said that honestly because I saw that you were here and given the topic, you would do the same thing like you did over at the other thread.
I dont want this to be an argument seeing as we all have the right to out opinions. I was only afraid that you would come yell at me again.

That's why I reacted the way I did. And I apologize.

PokemonOwn
13th June 2011, 6:07 PM
Hydreigon, Fraxure, Sawsbuck, Mandibuzz, they're all great Gen V names.

Deino
Zweilous
Hydregion

If anyone knows German, you get a cookie.

Foongus + Amoongus was pretty cool, too.

There's Foongus Amoongus!
There's Fungus Among us!

はるひ
13th June 2011, 6:09 PM
Deino
Zweilous
Hydregion

I do

Cookieh tiem (n n)

PokemonOwn
13th June 2011, 6:12 PM
I do

Cookieh tiem (n n)

Yayzors! I get a Cookie!

Wait, wut?

Who used :617: in their in-game playthrough? I didn't have the patience to train a Shelmet XD

はるひ
13th June 2011, 6:16 PM
Accelegor, I really like the flowing cape. Other than that, i's not really my type of Pokemon

General Nonsense
13th June 2011, 6:30 PM
I like Accelgor's design, I wish it had a better movepool though.

Geekachu
13th June 2011, 6:32 PM
Deino
Zweilous
Hydregion

I guess I get a cookie then, that's why I said Hydreigon. Hydra, Drei, and Dragon just fit so well together.

Lorde
13th June 2011, 6:37 PM
Accelgor is a decent Pokemon I guess. I remember that it took me forever to find someone to trade my Shelmet to in order for Shelmet to evolve into Accelgor. I ended up storing it away eventually, but I probably should try using it someday. I don't really use Bug-types on my teams, though. I like a lot of Bug-types in these games, but I wouldn't use them in serious battles unless I were confident in their abilities.

Blazios
13th June 2011, 6:40 PM
The onl way I can tolerate the Foongus Amoonguss joke is to think that Amoonguss is probably a combination of amanita and fungus.

Also, yay Zekrom gets Haze and Reshiram gets Mist and nobody in English speaking countries will understand why! Well, at least those are two events I don't desperately need to go to when they're released.

Grei
13th June 2011, 6:49 PM
It's weird. I really like Reuniclus/Gothitelle, but I think Beheeyem is quite terrible. Slow speed, and quite frail, defensively. However, I like the pun on it's name:

That is awesome.

Really? I hear that Beheeyem is like a poor man's Reuniclus, which shouldn't make him too terrible defensively. I suppose I heard incorrectly?

(Or maybe yours had a defense-lowering nature...?)

Geekachu
13th June 2011, 7:51 PM
Accelgor is a decent Pokemon I guess. I remember that it took me forever to find someone to trade my Shelmet to in order for Shelmet to evolve into Accelgor. I ended up storing it away eventually, but I probably should try using it someday. I don't really use Bug-types on my teams, though. I like a lot of Bug-types in these games, but I wouldn't use them in serious battles unless I were confident in their abilities.

I never use Bug Types either, I mean their only main use is going against Psychic and Darks, and I have other Pokemon to cover those. However I'm adamant that I'll be using Volcarona on my 3rd Game Team.

NeohopeSTF
13th June 2011, 7:55 PM
The onl way I can tolerate the Foongus Amoonguss joke is to think that Amoonguss is probably a combination of amanita and fungus.

Also, yay Zekrom gets Haze and Reshiram gets Mist and nobody in English speaking countries will understand why! Well, at least those are two events I don't desperately need to go to when they're released.
Wait why do they haze and mist?

R_N
13th June 2011, 7:57 PM

It's explained on the front page

Rubicante
13th June 2011, 7:57 PM
Mist and Haze's Japanese names are White Mist and Black Mist. That's pretty clever. I'm happy Zekrom gets the better of the two moves, even though I have White.

The Oncoming Storm
13th June 2011, 8:10 PM
I don't like gothitelles design. Reuniclus is a beastly blob. Mine is incredibly bad arse

manifesto
14th June 2011, 12:53 AM
Gothitelle is okay looking. If I wanted a femme looking psychic though I'd choose Gardevoir. Reuniclus just never found his way onto my team even though I love him to death.

Cassiopeia
14th June 2011, 12:59 AM
Mist and Haze's Japanese names are White Mist and Black Mist. That's pretty clever. I'm happy Zekrom gets the better of the two moves, even though I have White.

It is clever
you get Zekrom in white

manifesto
14th June 2011, 1:05 AM
You get the event Zekrom in Black though, he/she's happy for the people getting the Zekrom even though he/she's jealous he/she can't get it since Zekrom might be his or her favorite out of the two. That's just my guess though.

SasakiThePikachu
14th June 2011, 1:16 AM
I don't like gothitelles design. Reuniclus is a beastly blob. Mine is incredibly bad arse

I've noticed Gothitelle tends to get the same reaction as Lady Gaga. You either find her an incredibly beautiful, original, clever fashion icon, or you pull a face and think 'what the ever living f*ck is that?!'

I'm of the former. She's based off my favourite fashion design of all time (goth goth loli loli! Wallflower quotes ftw!) so I loved her on sight. I was disappointed she was psychic and not dark type, however...

R_N
14th June 2011, 1:25 AM
I think getting Haze & Mist is clever for one other reason: Both are ice moves based around sending an icy fog towards the opponent

Coincidence or genius?!
(OK it is probably just coincidence)

manifesto
14th June 2011, 1:27 AM
Well, I kind of like the idea that they're slyly giving hints. It kind of reminds me how in every single game that starts a generation since gen 3, there's a person from the region they're going to remake in the game on vacation or something in the region you're playing in.

General Nonsense
14th June 2011, 1:28 AM
I've noticed Gothitelle tends to get the same reaction as Lady Gaga. You either find her an incredibly beautiful, original, clever fashion icon, or you pull a face and think 'what the ever living f*ck is that?!'

Wow, I never realized that. You're right.

I can't say I'm a fan of Gothitelle's design. But with that being said, I'm not a fan of pokemon that resemble humans in general.

Rubicante
14th June 2011, 1:30 AM
I think getting Haze & Mist is clever for one other reason: Both are ice moves based around sending an icy fog towards the opponent

Coincidence or genius?!
(OK it is probably just coincidence)
Well, Zekrom hides in dark thunderclouds and Reshiram heats the atmosphere. Haze and Mist make sense from a realistic standpoint, too. Well, I guess what I mean is they both have to do with the sky.

Kisekisan
14th June 2011, 1:48 AM

Such a weird comparison, but you are absolutely right!

I am one of those who can't help but love Gothitelle. She is actually one of my favorite creatures from the fifth generation, and she has turned out to be one of the main pillars of my party. I always think of Gothitelle as a darker version of Gardevoir, though she's far from being as epic as Gardevoir (in all senses).

Typhlosionvsworld
14th June 2011, 1:51 AM

I am one of those who can't help but love Gothitelle. She is actually one of my favorite creatures from the fifth generation, and she has turned out to be one of the main pillars of my party. I always think of Gothitelle as a darker version of Gardevoir, though she's far from being as epic as Gardevoir (in all senses).

Reuniclus is way better IMO.

The Oncoming Storm
14th June 2011, 2:26 AM
But I go googoo for gaga. Shes starangely attractive.

Gothitelles just not my thing.

Dattebayo
14th June 2011, 2:31 AM
There's a Reshiram/Zekrom event occuring right now?

Beeheyem is just another example of an inferior Psychic type compared to the 1st gen Psychic types.

SphealsFTW
14th June 2011, 3:28 AM
Gothitelle is okay looking. If I wanted a femme looking psychic though I'd choose Gardevoir. Reuniclus just never found his way onto my team even though I love him to death.
Gothitelle (whatever it's name is) should've been a Dark/Psychic pokemon.

I'm of the former. She's based off my favourite fashion design of all time (goth goth loli loli! Wallflower quotes ftw!) so I loved her on sight. I was disappointed she was psychic and not dark type, however...
Mmmhmm. Gothitelle is a free b*tch, baby.

Typhlosionvsworld
14th June 2011, 3:32 AM

Beeheyem is just another example of an inferior Psychic type compared to the 1st gen Psychic types.

Yeah, I like speed, and Beheeyem doesn't have that.

Cassiopeia
14th June 2011, 3:34 AM

The 1st gen psychic types depended on virtually no counters at all. But they were still good.

SphealsFTW
14th June 2011, 3:37 AM
Why does everyone keep comparing everything to the 1st gen Psychic types? If you like Alakazam so much, then just use one ;P It's not like the 5th gen Psychic's are impossible to use...

The Oncoming Storm
14th June 2011, 3:53 AM
Who cares if alakazams fast. Its super frail. One scarfed stabbed shadow ball and bye bye. While reuniclus will take the hit and own that pokemon. Id rather have slow and tough then fast and frail.

MetalFlygon08
14th June 2011, 5:34 AM
Actually, bar legendaries, the 1st gen Psys would fare poorly against the newer ones.

Alakazam can't 1HKO Reunculus without Choice Specs iirc.

so without buffers and boosts...you get the picture.

はるひ
14th June 2011, 5:41 AM

Love her and Gallede. In fact I think she could have been the same type as Gallede himself. But there's always fanfiction for that lol

I made her an inventor, a mentor, a teacher and an pilot XD. The power of fanfiction.

Hilijix
14th June 2011, 5:48 AM
I've noticed Gothitelle tends to get the same reaction as Lady Gaga.

That's exactly why mine is nicknamed that. Somewhat, anyway. Everyone claimed Gothitelle looked like Gaga when she was first revealed.

Gothitelle (whatever it's name is) should've been a Dark/Psychic pokemon.

So true. I thought it was going to be Dark type, though Dark/Psychic could've been cool.

はるひ
14th June 2011, 5:57 AM
What will Lady Gaga do?

She will use Shadow Ball

The Oncoming Storm
14th June 2011, 6:04 AM
Also psys were so strong 1st gen cause they had little to oppose them.

MetalFlygon08
14th June 2011, 6:10 AM
and what you were told opposed them, really had no effect.

The Oncoming Storm
14th June 2011, 6:12 AM
We had the ghastly line and bugs. Not much to wrk with eh.

Emperor Empoleon
14th June 2011, 6:14 AM
But Ghastly's line is weak to Psychic and Bugs didn't have good moves.

Jolteon's Pin Missle would be a nice subsitute back then though :s

MetalFlygon08
14th June 2011, 6:15 AM
We had the ghastly line and bugs. Not much to wrk with eh.

in RBGY Psychic was immune to ghost.

The Oncoming Storm
14th June 2011, 6:20 AM
^Really? I played but i never truley played like you should. I want an old gbc and yellow version.

Rubicante
14th June 2011, 7:45 AM
in RBGY Psychic was immune to ghost.
I flipped through my bestiary, and you are correct. For some strange reason, Psychic type Pokémon were immune to Ghost type moves. The very notion that Game Freak even bothered with doing that when the only Ghost move was Night Shade, is quite an eccentric one. Such is life. It would appear the anime lied to us with Haunter and Kadabra.

R_N
14th June 2011, 7:59 AM
I flipped through my bestiary, and you are correct. For some strange reason, Psychic type Pokémon were immune to Ghost type moves. The very notion that Game Freak even bothered with doing that when the only Ghost move was Night Shade, is quite an eccentric one. Such is life. It would appear the anime lied to us with Haunter and Kadabra.

The hilarious thing is that this is almost certainly an error with the programming (RGBY were so glitchy it's a miracle they could even play. & Blue & Yellow were updates), because people in-game and the type chart itself say Ghost should trump Psychic

Also Lick was a Ghost move. The 20 base power move. Yeaaahh

Rubicante
14th June 2011, 8:12 AM
The hilarious thing is that this is almost certainly an error with the programming (RGBY were so glitchy it's a miracle they could even play. & Blue & Yellow were updates), because people in-game and the type chart itself say Ghost should trump Psychic

Also Lick was a Ghost move. The 20 base power move. Yeaaahh

That must've been one of the weakest moves available at the time. Tackle could do even more damage than that.

manifesto
14th June 2011, 8:15 AM
But...but lick could paralyze!

R_N
14th June 2011, 8:17 AM
That must've been one of the weakest moves available at the time. Tackle could do even more damage than that.

If you want to get technical, Sonic Boom & Dragon Rage had potentially weaker outputs (20 HP & 40 HP respectively). Many multi-hit moves were weak as well (Double Slap only did 10 a hit, so at minimum it was a 20 BP attack) but had slightly greater potential (woah there, look out, it might reach 50)

Zhanton
14th June 2011, 8:19 AM
And Lick's a pretty cool move. Surely you've seen it's Stadium/Stadium 2 animation

The Dragon type had it pretty bad in Gen I too, with the only Dragon type move being Dragon Rage, the set power move. Which means that Dragon wasn't really super effective against Dragon until Gen II, if you think about it.

R_N
14th June 2011, 8:23 AM
But...but lick could paralyze!

Jynx was better off hoping for freezing or using Lovely Kiss, Gengar had Hypnosis (and Thunderbolt)

Oh, right, only the Gastly family & Jynx could learn lick in RGBY. No, I didn't leave anyone out of that list!

as an aside, I looked up Smogon's RB Gengar entry to see what its optimal set was: Hypnosis/Explosion/Thunderbolt and...Mega Drain.
Strange, strange metagame RB was.

Zhanton
14th June 2011, 8:28 AM
Jynx was OU in RBGY according to Smogon, too, haha :p Blizzard / Lovely Kiss / Psychic / Mimic.
Persian too was OU. Slash / Bubblebeam / Hyper Beam / Thunderbolt.

Definitely an interesting metagame.

R_N
14th June 2011, 8:35 AM
Jynx was OU in RBGY according to Smogon, too, haha :p Blizzard / Lovely Kiss / Psychic / Mimic.
Persian too was OU. Slash / Bubblebeam / Hyper Beam / Thunderbolt.

Definitely an interesting metagame.

This was back when speed helped determine Critical Hits
Slash upped that rate, too
And it got STAB off of it....

Meanwhile Dragonite completely lacked any stab and thanks to ice it was in BL!

Rubicante
14th June 2011, 8:37 AM
Flareon's moveset on Smogon:
~ Fire Blast
~ Body Slam
~ Hyper Beam
~ Quick Attack / Focus Energy
"Low Speed and Fire-typing hurt Flareon in standard play, but it's a strong UU Pokemon who hits hard on both fronts. Strike fast and don't let the opponent know what exactly happened; just watch out for those Water- and Rock-types."

As much as I like Fire Pokémon, this made me audibly chuckle. That poor, poor Pokémon.

Zhanton
14th June 2011, 8:39 AM
This was back when speed helped determine Critical Hits
Slash upped that rate, too
And it got STAB off of it....

And that explains why it has Bubblebeam. Bubblebeam --> lowers speed --> Persian is faster --> critical hits. Rightt.

R_N
14th June 2011, 8:41 AM
And that explains why it has Bubblebeam. Bubblebeam --> lowers speed --> Persian is faster --> critical hits. Rightt.

Also to hit rock/ground types because they could actually be useful this time!

Hyper Beam, by the way, had a thing where KOing the opponent with it causes no recharge turn.

Zhanton
14th June 2011, 9:25 AM
Also to hit rock/ground types because they could actually be useful this time!

Hyper Beam, by the way, had a thing where KOing the opponent with it causes no recharge turn.

Yeah, I knew that about Hyper Beam.

Am I the only one who was disappointed at the water Pokemon we got this gen? I'm a lover of water Pokemon through and through, and this gen we got:
-The Oshawott line
-The Panpour line
-The Carracosta line (I forget the little guy's name)
-The Frillish line
-The Ducklett line
-Basculin
-Alomomola
-Keldeo
I know it seems like a lot (14 out of 156 if I've listed them all) but I found them to be pretty lacking. I love the Oshawott line and Samurott is a powerhouse in my team. The Panpour line is decent and you get them early on, and the turtles are really strong. Frillish, however, is available late in the game, and the Ducklett line is outclassed by everything - Swanna's got good stats in everything, but they're all good stats, not great stats. Basculin is available late as is Alomomola, and they are both outclassed. I don't know, I just found the water types to be pretty lacking this generation. It's probably just me.

R_N
14th June 2011, 9:33 AM
The interesting thing about Basculin (who is technically available 1 gym earlier thanks to an in-game trade), Alomomola & Frillish is that technically they're available as early as Accumula.

The game doesn't restrict HMs to badges, so if you somehow got something with Surf you could go to one of the early bodies of waters and get one right then and there. It's (presumably) why the early-game water mons have low levels indicative of that area.

Zhanton
14th June 2011, 9:38 AM
The interesting thing about Basculin (who is technically available 1 gym earlier thanks to an in-game trade), Alomomola & Frillish is that technically they're available as early as Accumula.

The game doesn't restrict HMs to badges, so if you somehow got something with Surf you could go to one of the early bodies of waters and get one right then and there. It's (presumably) why the early-game water mons have low levels indicative of that area.

Really? So does this mean if you traded/somehow got something with Cut prior to defeating the 1st Gym, you could go catch a Munna in the Dream Yard?

misterdarvus
14th June 2011, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I knew that about Hyper Beam.

Am I the only one who was disappointed at the water Pokemon we got this gen? I'm a lover of water Pokemon through and through, and this gen we got:
-The Oshawott line
-The Panpour line
-The Carracosta line (I forget the little guy's name)
-The Frillish line
-The Ducklett line
-Basculin
-Alomomola
-Keldeo
I know it seems like a lot (14 out of 156 if I've listed them all) but I found them to be pretty lacking. I love the Oshawott line and Samurott is a powerhouse in my team. The Panpour line is decent and you get them early on, and the turtles are really strong. Frillish, however, is available late in the game, and the Ducklett line is outclassed by everything - Swanna's got good stats in everything, but they're all good stats, not great stats. Basculin is available late as is Alomomola, and they are both outclassed. I don't know, I just found the water types to be pretty lacking this generation. It's probably just me.

You forget tympole line

Maybe because the water types too crowded in previous gen, GF decide to reduce them?

Zhanton
14th June 2011, 10:57 AM
You forget tympole line

Maybe because the water types too crowded in previous gen, GF decide to reduce them?

Whoops.

Alright, never mind, there are lots of them; they just aren't as aesthetically pleasing for the most part ^^

Oshawott line looks great, Tympole and Palpitoad are nice, Panpour is cool, the turtle line as well, and the Ducklett line. The rest are ugly.

Never mind just ignore my argument :P

SasakiThePikachu
14th June 2011, 1:01 PM
Really? So does this mean if you traded/somehow got something with Cut prior to defeating the 1st Gym, you could go catch a Munna in the Dream Yard?

No, you need the first badge to work HMs. Once you have the Trio badge, you can use every HM. My jaw hit the floor when I heard that...after my first playthrough. "I waited all that time to use fly? I cycled back and forth? I used my feet when I could've used a pokemon?? grr wrath rage..."

It is a bit self-defeating though...if you already have surf, why would you want/need to go catching a water type? o.O

Hmm, all this reminiscing about the 1st gen really makes you remember how hilariously rubbish the gameplay was. It's easy to forget and wail 'it was the best gen EVER!' through the nostalgia glasses tinted with childhood memories...but no, no, it really wasn't. It was so badly thought-out. Back in R/B/Y, if you had an Alakazam you were practically unbeatable. I mean, what's going to take you down? A Beedrill? *snickers*

Mister_SGG
14th June 2011, 1:03 PM
Basculin is available late as is Alomomola, and they are both outclassed.

Basculin is available as early as Driftveil City.

Takeo
14th June 2011, 1:03 PM
Hmm, all this reminiscing about the 1st gen really makes you remember how hilariously rubbish the gameplay was. It's easy to forget and wail 'it was the best gen EVER!' through the nostalgia glasses tinted with childhood memories...but no, no, it really wasn't. It was so badly thought-out. Back in R/B/Y, if you had an Alakazam you were practically unbeatable. I mean, what's going to take you down? A Beedrill? *snickers*

Don't say that Sasaki, though its kinda....true. but the game was broken we can't help it that they made a mistake and that psychic types were so damn strong.

Solfatara
14th June 2011, 2:58 PM
More than that they were strong, there was just not any good bug moves/pokes to counter them. But I guess superfast physical sweepers would do the trick also. Dugtrio might be able to finish Alakazam off, if it won the speed tie. Then there's always aerodactyl. But I definitely agree. The game could never become balanced without the items, the new non-damaging moves, and the new types. My only concern now is that there will be too many competitively viable pokémon to ever be able to counter even nearly all of them.

Dattebayo
14th June 2011, 3:40 PM
My only concern now is that there will be too many competitively viable pokémon to ever be able to counter even nearly all of them.

There's already been those kinds of Pokemon, and they are the Top 6 Threats.

Solfatara
14th June 2011, 4:07 PM
There's already been those kinds of Pokemon, and they are the Top 6 Threats.

I'm not sure if I quite understand you. I didn't mean there are too many types to counter - I meant that there are too many competitively viable pokémon in the metagame to be able to create a team that can counter everything well. I don't know if I think this is a bad thing, but it seems kind of funny that a team specialized to face and beat every common threat might be completely thrown off by pokémon that are not that commonly seen, but still do very well at what they do.

Dattebayo
14th June 2011, 4:46 PM
I'm not sure if I quite understand you. I didn't mean there are too many types to counter - I meant that there are too many competitively viable pokémon in the metagame to be able to create a team that can counter everything well. I don't know if I think this is a bad thing, but it seems kind of funny that a team specialized to face and beat every common threat might be completely thrown off by pokémon that are not that commonly seen, but still do very well at what they do.

Oh, I thought you meant it's impossible to make a Pokemon that's able to counter everything when I mentioned the Top 6 Threats to counter that argument.

Grey Wind
14th June 2011, 4:52 PM
Whoops.

Alright, never mind, there are lots of them; they just aren't as aesthetically pleasing for the most part ^^

Oshawott line looks great, Tympole and Palpitoad are nice, Panpour is cool, the turtle line as well, and the Ducklett line. The rest are ugly.

Never mind just ignore my argument :P
Water types are quite tricky this Generation. The only one I really like is Samurott, and you have to get that as your starter. Alomomola, Basculina and Swanna are outclassed. Seismitoad is ugly, and isn't that great anyway. That leaves Carrracosta and Jellicent as your only two options. But I do like the fact that they didn't pack it full of Waters like they used to .

Kisekisan
14th June 2011, 4:54 PM
No, you need the first badge to work HMs. Once you have the Trio badge, you can use every HM. My jaw hit the floor when I heard that...after my first playthrough. "I waited all that time to use fly? I cycled back and forth? I used my feet when I could've used a pokemon?? grr wrath rage..."

It is a bit self-defeating though...if you already have surf, why would you want/need to go catching a water type? o.O

Lol, is that true? I feel SO foolish, I thought I had to wait till I got a specific badge, now I understand why none of the leaders said anything about MOs, lol.

And yeah, Pokémon Red and Blue are so overrated, but we can't help but love them due to our being too nostalgic lol. Moreover, there were quite a few bugs, which can be considered as an advantage -many chances to get creatures you weren't supposed to get (e.g. Mew)-, but techinically speaking say much about the actual quality of those games. I remember defeating Lance's Dragonite with a lvl. 12 Oddish. Dragonite was using barrier all the time... and never used a simple Hyper Beam. I'm sure there was something weird going on there.

manifesto
14th June 2011, 5:00 PM
I loves me some seismitoad! He was on my first team so it's a bit of an attachment issue.

But anyway, Jellicent is my favorite water type this gen. Its typing is cool, he's got that funny look, it just works. He's also a sea monster in that he sinks ships and feeds on life energy. Morbidly awesome if you ask me. The sea turtle line is all right looks wise, I like them, I just could never fit Carracosta onto my team because it just never gave me the niche I needed. Alomomola makes me want to puke every time I see it. It's that nauseating shade of pink and it has...hands on its body...that's weird. Swanna is pretty but not my type and I feel as if Basculin is just some trash pokemon they threw in there to be faster than you and super annoying. Samurott is certified badass though so I've got nothing to say there.

These is my two cents and certainly just my opinions.

はるひ
14th June 2011, 5:05 PM
Water types. I like the old school ones better. I like Simipour and Jellicent and Sesmitoad but the rest were ugly. :[

And I wish i can keep Oshowatt small :p

Lorde
14th June 2011, 5:08 PM
And I wish i can keep Oshowatt small :p

Use an Everstone? That's what I would do. I already have an Oshawott that I plan on using without evolving, so I may just give it an Everstone one of these days. Anyway, Oshawott and Jellicent are my only favorite Water-types in this generation. The others are fine in their own way, but I don't have any particular feelings for them. They're just there.

Grey Wind
14th June 2011, 5:14 PM
My favourite water type this Gen would definetly be Samurott. I love otters anyway, and Oshawott is adorable. The shell-swords are a great idea, and being based of a samurai is nice. I like Carracosta too, I really like the ancient turtle design. Jellicent's typing is quite cool, but I never liked it that much. Swanna is pretty, but I wouldn't use it. Seismitoad is ugly. Alomomola is a big Luvdisc, and it's 'arms' are creepy. Basculin is weak, and it seems like it's just there to...be there.

Solfatara
14th June 2011, 5:54 PM
Hm, Basculin doesn't seem to get much love here, but I must say I kind of like the little angry-looking, generally displeased with its life-fish, and its two different forms.
When it comes to Jellicent... I actually think Frillish looks quite nice, especially the male form. The evolved form though... the male looks like a giant mr. pringles or maybe even mario, and the female looks like a blown up make-up doll. I guess the fact that it is slightly competitively viable makes up for it - a little.
I find Samurott to be rather ugly. There's something about its legs and body shape that makes me think it's having a hard time moving effectively. Dewott on the other hand, that one is awesome.
But my favourite water-line this gen must definitely me Tirtouga and Carracosta. I always loved turtles, and I think both their designs look amazing. Carracosta is also one of my favourite battlers, and I'm very pleased with the one I bred^^ (In addition to this, their shiny forms look amazing.)

はるひ
14th June 2011, 6:19 PM
Ive wanted to try a Basculin for some time. They are like beta fish which I like.

abraxas
14th June 2011, 6:45 PM
Water types. I like the old school ones better. I like Simipour and Jellicent and Sesmitoad but the rest were ugly. :[

Now, what's wrong with this sentence? ;x

Anyway, the Water types this generation were pretty decent, though I can honestly say I have no liking for Basculin. And props to the Mr. Pringles-looking Jellicent.
As for a favorite among them all, I'd have to say Carracosta. Love the design, and, yes, the type combo has been done before, and it's not the best, but I found it to be fairly useable in-game, with thanks to Study and Shell Break. Plus, I'm fairly biased: I'm a turtle lover. =3.

manifesto
14th June 2011, 6:49 PM
Seismitoad isn't that ugly, he's not pretty but he's kinda badass looking...I find him to be neutral in the beauty department.

はるひ
14th June 2011, 6:52 PM
It's funny how they make the pretty Pokemon weak :p

Milokaross is awesome but they didnt give her a good movepool. :p. The Sesmitoad line is cute somewhat... the first two are aodrable the froggy... ahh it's cute in it's own way.

Lorde
14th June 2011, 6:55 PM
Seismitoad isn't that ugly, he's not pretty but he's kinda badass looking...I find him to be neutral in the beauty department.

Looks count quite a bit, at least I think so. Seismitoad is pretty ugly, but there was a time when I was considering using one on my team. This was last year while I was deciding on my in-game team for the English games. I eventually settled for Simipour since it was encountered earlier in the games, but I may still use Seismitoad in the third game. I guess it all depends on how I feel.

Dr. Leggs
14th June 2011, 6:58 PM
Seismitoad's pretty ugly in my eyes. I despise the entire Tympole line, actually. Carracosta and Keldeo take the cake for favourite Water-type... And Basculin really isn't that bad, it can hit wicked hard with Adaptability. I like it aesthetically, too.

Grey Wind
14th June 2011, 7:08 PM
Milokaross is awesome
Erm...what's Milokaross o_0

PokemonOwn
14th June 2011, 7:12 PM
Who used Maractus in their playthrough? Personally, I like it's design, but I just don't see any love for it. ):

abraxas
14th June 2011, 7:15 PM

Seismitoad is a bad mofo in terms of use, but as looks, it just reminds me of a Gremlin after it gets wet...

And isn't Milokaross Milotic? ._.

As for Maractus, I haven't used one, and I really don't have any plans to do so. If I'm going to use a cactus-esque Poke, it's going to be Cacturne. But it does have a neat design, though.