PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55

Shine
1st July 2011, 4:25 AM
Also, actually double checking Sky Drop, I don't think he'd really have a lot of use for it. It's basically a delayed Wing Attack; he avoids a hit for a turn, but he's still going to get hit the next turn. I mean I guess he could hold Leftovers with it, but that seems more suited towards more defensive birds (Mandibuzz wants this move so bad, I think)

eh, the main use for Sky Drop is not for the damage or avoiding a hit, but for the "locking an opponent" feature.

Not sure if this is what Dattebayo is going after, though.

R_N
1st July 2011, 5:33 AM
eh, the main use for Sky Drop is not for the damage or avoiding a hit, but for the "locking an opponent" feature.

Not sure if this is what Dattebayo is going after, though.

But it basically just delays that turn in a single battle. Locking them down doesn't really do much.

Now doubles/triples, there's some usefulness.

Will-powered Spriter
1st July 2011, 8:28 AM
No part of this is close enough to be worthy of discussion yet.

They didn't actually "take sprites" from Pokédex 3D either; it looks like they Photoshopped the AR markers for Reshiram and Zekrom onto a Generation V battle scene, with the markers skewed and angled appropriately, and then photographed that tableau with the Pokédex's AR camera. Which is pretty clever, don't get me wrong, but it certainly isn't "zomg future of the franchise!" like some would believe.

That said, if you view the blank image made by the same people, which has two wild-card ar cards, through Pokedex 3Ds AR mode, it fits the screen and gives a pretty good indication of what playing such a game would be like. It's damn impressive and easy to imagine they'd use it. You can't get the same impression from a still image.

mitchman_93
1st July 2011, 1:02 PM
Do you know how much data space that would require for each pokémon so it isn't likely to happen.
From what we know the Pokemon all together take about 500MB so if you were to think of putting all 650, that's around 2 gigs or so. And if you consider how the game carts will eventually go up to 8, its pretty easy....

Grei
1st July 2011, 9:52 PM
HOLY WOW

I found this site with amazing artwork of the 5th Gen Starters. Here. (http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/pokemon_493_495_503.html) Has anyone else seen these yet?

http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/elog/BW/503.jpg (http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/elog/BW/503.jpg)

I figured I'd post it here since it's relevant to the 5th Gen Pokemon. Even though Samurott may or may not be able to stand like that, he looks epic. Same with... well, all 8 of the other Starter forms.

EDIT: Also, here are most (if not all) of the older Pokemon. (http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/elog.html)

Pokechan
1st July 2011, 10:03 PM
HOLY WOW

I found this site with amazing artwork of the 5th Gen Starters. Here. (http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/pokemon_493_495_503.html) Has anyone else seen these yet?

I figured I'd post it here since it's relevant to the 5th Gen Pokemon. Even though Samurott may or may not be able to stand like that, he looks epic. Same with... well, all 8 of the other Starter forms.

EDIT: Also, here are most (if not all) of the older Pokemon. (http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/elog.html)
Wow those are amazing Pokemon artwork images! I have a question how is Sigilyph compared to Archeops? Sigilyph seems like an interesting Pokemon to use.

KickAsh
1st July 2011, 10:11 PM
HOLY WOW

http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/elog/BW/503.jpg (http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/elog/BW/503.jpg)

Wow. That art was incredible. The Unovan starts look especially good, but everything from Pidgeot to Toxicroak looks fantastic.
This is really good. Who makes it?

I have a question how is Sigilyph compared to Archeops? Sigilyph seems like an interesting Pokemon to use.
Sigilyph has Magic Guard, which is neat, but Sigilyph is more of a defensive Pokemon while Archeops is a full-out, do-or-die attacker. So they fulfill different roles, but for in-game Archeops is definitely better.

Grei
1st July 2011, 10:13 PM
Wow those are amazing Pokemon artwork images! I have a question how is Sigilyph compared to Archeops? Sigilyph seems like an interesting Pokemon to use.

Also, this. (http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh2gohcddw1qc2w0eo1_500.jpg) :3

Sigilyph is a special attacker (and a good one at that). Archeops is a physical attacker that is very strong until its HP drops below half. After that, it's complete crap. I'd suggest using Sigilyph, although if you don't mind Archeops' crippling ability, I'd so no problem in using that one. Since they're both good at different things, it helps to consider how your team is as far as Physical attackers and Special attackers.

Wow. That art was incredible. The Unovan starts look especially good, but everything from Pidgeot to Toxicroak looks fantastic.
This is really good. Who makes it?

No idea. Some Japanese (I think?) artist. I found it while Google Image searching.

Accipitri
1st July 2011, 10:16 PM
That is cool, thanks for sharing it. I love how Weepinbell, Venonat, Mawile, Vespiquen, Carnivine, and Giratina look. I'd like to see them do Scolipede and Garbodor.

Pokechan
1st July 2011, 10:47 PM
How are Mandibuzz and Braviary in their roles? They both have cool designs and stats in different places, but they come so late that they might not be worth training. Another issue is that they evolve so late at level 54 while there are a lot of good Pokemon who evolve earlier.

Seem
1st July 2011, 10:57 PM
How are Mandibuzz and Braviary in their roles? They both have cool designs and stats in different places, but they come so late that they might not be worth training. Another issue is that they evolve so late at level 54 while there are a lot of good Pokemon who evolve earlier.

Braviary is most certainly a wonderful physical attacker though it's speed is decent at best. Mandibuzz isn't great with offensive stats being a defensive type and so not so great if you just want to complete the game. Her typing is a good boost though and she's good if you like to toxic stall.

Being said, you get both late but if you have the patience to level them up and evolve them, Braviary more so, will do you well!

R_N
1st July 2011, 11:00 PM
I really liked the Mandibuzz/Vullaby I raised for the pokedex, and I fully plan to trade one over at the start of whenever I get Black. It was pretty great.

Grei
1st July 2011, 11:01 PM
This Gen, though, there aren't any outstanding Flyers like Staraptor (unless you count Sigilyph and maybe Braviary/Archeops), and the early Flyers you get are generally weaker than the later Flyers.

I agree, Braviary is very good (and by the time you get to the League, you should be at least close to evolving it), but Sigilyph is also worth using. I don't particularly think Archeops is that fantastic, because I prefer Pokemon that are reliable. Mandibuzz is a good Pokemon if you use her correctly--she's a defensive bird, so you can't treat her like you would... well, any other 5th Gen bird.

Dattebayo
2nd July 2011, 1:47 AM
I just wish Sigilyph knew Focus Blast so I could use it as my Ice Beam user with this set:

Psychic/Psyshock
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Roost/Energy Ball/Shadow Ball

Vandslaux
2nd July 2011, 4:15 AM
9 levels before my Zweilous evolves. I'm Audino grinding in Giant Chasm. :)

Dattebayo
2nd July 2011, 4:18 AM
9 levels before my Zweilous evolves. I'm Audino grinding in Giant Chasm. :)

Then you're wasting its EVs on HP rather than for other stats it benefits the most. It's basically the only thing I hate about Audino hunting.

CaptainBrain
2nd July 2011, 4:19 AM
Maybe he's not EV training? Or, he could have the EVs already filled up.

Vandslaux
2nd July 2011, 4:58 AM
I already EV trained it 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Speed. Now it's lv. 59.

EDIT: I just found a wild Clefable! Now, all I need in here of the pokes able to be found in Shaking patches is Mamoswine. I already caught a Metagross.

PokemonTrainerKaden
2nd July 2011, 7:52 AM
What is the best place to train in white? Im trying to evolve my Zweilous.

Grei
2nd July 2011, 7:52 AM
I already EV trained it 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Speed. Now it's lv. 59.

EDIT: I just found a wild Clefable! Now, all I need in here of the pokes able to be found in Shaking patches is Mamoswine. I already caught a Metagross.

I would suggest catching a Piloswine, tutoring it Ancientpower, and leveling it up yourself. That will probably be faster than scouring the Shaking Grass for one (unless you're lucky).

Then you're wasting its EVs on HP rather than for other stats it benefits the most. It's basically the only thing I hate about Audino hunting.

Not everyone cares about EVs.

What is the best place to train in white? Im trying to evolve my Zweilous.

Look up a few posts above yours. Quite a coincidence--another player is trying to do exactly the same thing.

PokemonTrainerKaden
2nd July 2011, 7:53 AM
Ok. Thank You.

DazedMinezumi
3rd July 2011, 7:12 PM
Since this IS a general discussion, we can talk about ANYTHING involving pokemon. So when, yes when not if, 6th generation games come out, what do you think the starters should be based off of? I was hoping a goat that is Grass/Ice at its final evo, a bear that is Fire/Dark, and then just whatever for water.

Leevoat-Lamboree-Tracharies + Smokub-Burbear-Maulcano
(Found them on deviantart and they're AWESOME!!!)

Ellie closed the speculation thread so I might as well talk here, there's no rule against it.

Grei
3rd July 2011, 7:16 PM
Since this IS a general discussion, we can talk about ANYTHING involving pokemon. So when, yes when not if, 6th generation games come out, what do you think the starters should be based off of? I was hoping a goat that is Grass/Ice at its final evo, a bear that is Fire/Dark, and then just whatever for water.

Leevoat-Lamboree-Tracharies + Smokub-Burbear-Maulcano
(Found them on deviantart and they're AWESOME!!!)

Ellie closed the speculation thread so I might as well talk here, there's no rule against it.

Yes there is a rule against it. This is the Official Pokemon Discussion Thread in the 5th GEN SECTION. That means that this is for 5th Gen discussion, not for 6th Gen discussion. Thus, your post is off-topic.

If you want to discuss fanart, go to the Fan Art section.

General Nonsense
3rd July 2011, 7:26 PM
Has anyone tried using Garbador? Is it any good in-game? Yes, I know it's outclassed by everything more or less, but is it usable?

Dattebayo
3rd July 2011, 7:26 PM
It's physical movepool is very limited, and its special movepool got wasted. *sigh*

So I doubt it'll be useful in-game.

Anyone want to speak about Sawk? If only it had Agility as it really goes well with its sturdy ability.

Geekachu
3rd July 2011, 8:10 PM
Anyone want to speak about Sawk? If only it had Agility as it really goes well with its sturdy ability.

Haven't really used it. But I'll talk about Throh! Anyhoo, I used it a little while, I think until Driftveil in my White runthrough. It's Attack and Speed aren't as good as Sawk's, but I liked it because it was one of the more bulkier, reliable Pokemon on my team.

I think I might use it a bit more another time. Some day.

CaptainCombusken
3rd July 2011, 8:15 PM
I like Sawk very much. Used it in my Black Playthrough.

It's moveset is very limited though. Move Tutors would make it an absolute beast (The Elemental Punches).

Dattebayo
3rd July 2011, 8:23 PM
Haven't really used it. But I'll talk about Throh! Anyhoo, I used it a little while, I think until Driftveil in my White runthrough. It's Attack and Speed aren't as good as Sawk's, but I liked it because it was one of the more bulkier, reliable Pokemon on my team.

I think I might use it a bit more another time. Some day.

They say Throh is better than Sawk for that exact reason.

Valoo.
3rd July 2011, 8:24 PM
I never really liked Sawk. In-game, they always gave me trouble, but they just never appealed to me. I like Throh a little better, but I don't love either that much. I wish they had kept the original oni horns that they had been designed with.

Dattebayo
3rd July 2011, 8:26 PM
I never really liked Sawk. In-game, they always gave me trouble, but they just never appealed to me. I like Throh a little better, but I don't love either that much. I wish they had kept the original oni horns that they had been designed with.

But then we'll have people shouting things regarding unoriginality on them and the Kami trio.

Valoo.
3rd July 2011, 8:30 PM
But then we'll have people shouting things regarding unoriginality on them and the Kami trio.
But having horns isn't going to make both species unoriginal.

Universe Chaser
3rd July 2011, 8:59 PM
Plus, they're clearly Ernie and Bert from Sesame Street.

General Nonsense
4th July 2011, 1:42 AM

Why would giving them horns cause people to say they're unoriginal?

blaze boy
4th July 2011, 1:48 AM
Why would giving them horns cause people to say they're unoriginal?

Because People are stupid and when they see one pokémon that looks similar to another pokémon they will start screaming "That pokémon is unoriginal because it looks the same as that other pokémon."

Adrexus
4th July 2011, 1:48 AM
The exact same reason that people call Vanilluxe and Klink unoriginal. Fans are afraid of change and seeing new crazy, out of the ordinary designs. Or it could just be a desire to complain about something just for the sake of complaining, so why not the new pokemon?

General Nonsense
4th July 2011, 1:58 AM
Because People are stupid and when they see one pokémon that looks similar to another pokémon they will start screaming "That pokémon is unoriginal because it looks the same as that other pokémon."

If people use that logic, then Sawk and Throh are both unoriginal since neither have horns. *Sigh*...similarities=/=unoriginal.

Dattebayo
4th July 2011, 5:47 AM
Could someone draw what the oni horns are suppose to look like on Throh and Sawk?

Grei
4th July 2011, 6:36 AM
I assume they'd come out of where their... er, "eyebrows" are.

The Eleventh
4th July 2011, 1:34 PM
I assume they'd come out of where their... er, "eyebrows" are.
Yeah, their eyebrows would just be much longer and more pointed. I can hardly even see horns on the Kami Trio; I have to look very closely. It's a real shame that Throh and Sawk didn't keep their horns.

misterdarvus
4th July 2011, 2:15 PM
If Throh and Sawk got horn too, I'm pretty sure more people will blame it for being another kami clones.

Valoo.
4th July 2011, 3:15 PM
Yeah, their eyebrows would just be much longer and more pointed. I can hardly even see horns on the Kami Trio; I have to look very closely. It's a real shame that Throh and Sawk didn't keep their horns.
I actually only noticed they had horns when I heard why Throh and Sawk couldn't have horns :/

Anyway, what do people think of Amoonguss? According to IGN, it was one of the top used Pokemon in some tournament, although I never thought it was good. I find Foongus quite cute, but I would never use them. Grass/Poison is a generic typing, and it lacks coverage.

And no Dattebayo, I don't want to know what Smogon said.

Typhlosionvsworld
4th July 2011, 3:21 PM
Amoonguss has gold medal HP, and decent enough Sp Atk to wipe out foes with Giga Drain, Spore, Toxic, and Venoshock

misterdarvus
4th July 2011, 3:23 PM
Anyway, what do people think of Amoonguss? According to IGN, it was one of the top used Pokemon in some tournament, although I never thought it was good. I find Foongus quite cute, but I would never use them. Grass/Poison is a generic typing, and it lacks coverage.

I think because it's like 5th gen Breloom, it can spam 100 accuracy spore, did you mean VGC? Is sleep clause apply in VGC?

The Eleventh
4th July 2011, 3:34 PM
I really dislike Amoongus. Foongus is hovering between "OK" and "Don't go near it!" for me. The only reason I use Amoongus is due to Sweet Scent. It's a shame, because Amoongus could have been really cool. It's a fun idea - a Poké Ball mushroom. But then Game Freak gave it a derpy face and faded colour scheme. That pink-red should have been brighter.

Dattebayo
4th July 2011, 3:35 PM
Amoongus is actually decent in tournaments; it's basically because of Spore. However, it can't use both Spore and Toxic at the same time because a Pokemon can only have one status effect.

Endless
4th July 2011, 3:36 PM
I actually only noticed they had horns when I heard why Throh and Sawk couldn't have horns :/

And no Dattebayo, I don't want to know what Smogon said.

To be honest I don't think many people would draw too many connections between Troh and Sawk, and the Kamis. As you said, the Kamis' horns are barely noticable at all.

Well I really really dislike Foongus and Amoongus' design. I hate the pokeball theme. They are both on my bottom 4 of the new pokemon, together with Zroua and Zoroark. But aside from the design, I heard from people using it in-game that it is pretty mediocre or worse. However I also heard that it does great competitive as a supporter.

Valoo.
4th July 2011, 3:37 PM
I think because it's like 5th gen Breloom, it can spam 100 accuracy spore, did you mean VGC? Is sleep clause apply in VGC?
This (http://ie.ds.ign.com/articles/116/1169568p1.html) was the article I read on IGN. I don't think it was VGC, but I'm not sure to be honest :S

Typhlosionvsworld
4th July 2011, 3:39 PM
What do you guys think of Jellicent? I fought a (most likely) hacked one on random, and it was annoying.

misterdarvus
4th July 2011, 3:47 PM
This (http://ie.ds.ign.com/articles/116/1169568p1.html) was the article I read on IGN. I don't think it was VGC, but I'm not sure to be honest :S

Yes it is, VGC stand from Video Game Championship.

Mister_SGG
4th July 2011, 3:50 PM
What do you guys think of Jellicent? I fought a (most likely) hacked one on random, and it was annoying.

It's too fat.

Typhlosionvsworld
4th July 2011, 3:53 PM
Its a mediocre Pokemon, in my opinion.

Endless
4th July 2011, 4:08 PM
Well design wise, I find it really cool. I must say that the males design it much better than the female(hell I was dissappointed when i got the female on Pokedex 3D) I love the mustache and cute eyes. And frankly enough it is still the most creepy of all the ghosts this gen. I haven't really used it myself, but I plan to use it if I ever buy Black or wait to the third game gets out.

Yes it is, VGC stand from Video Game Championship.
Wow, I didn't know that Protect was the move most used. The only pokemon I have heard that use it often in 5th gen is Whimsicott and ferrothorn. Rock Slide with over 5%, what happened to Stone Edge? And last, this wasn't really a suprise, but Acrobatics have surpassed Arial Ace

Typhlosionvsworld
4th July 2011, 4:11 PM
What does everyone think of Cofagrigus?

misterdarvus
4th July 2011, 4:12 PM
Well design wise, I find it really cool. I must say that the males design it much better than the female(hell I was dissappointed when i got the female on Pokedex 3D) I love the mustache and cute eyes. And frankly enough it is still the most creepy of all the ghosts this gen. I haven't really used it myself, but I plan to use it if I ever buy Black or wait to the third game gets out.

Wow, I didn't know that Protect was the move most used. The only pokemon I have heard that use it often in 5th gen is Whimsicott and ferrothorn. Rock Slide with over 5%, what happened to Stone Edge? And last, this wasn't really a suprise, but Acrobatics have surpassed Arial Ace

Rock slide hit both of the foe (this is double battle) than stone edge that hit one

Ashachu
4th July 2011, 4:13 PM

i think it is one of the lamest pokemon...

Typhlosionvsworld
4th July 2011, 4:14 PM
Rock slide hit both of the foe (this is double battle) than stone edge that hit one

But Stone Edge is the better choice for slower Pokemon.

Dattebayo
4th July 2011, 4:15 PM

Cool ghost type, but its movepool is left to be desired when it comes to covering dark types (and steel types). One of the few Pokemon who are impossible to be traded at the GTS.

Typhlosionvsworld
4th July 2011, 4:17 PM
Is that a figure of speech or can they seriously NOT be traded?

Dattebayo
4th July 2011, 4:21 PM

They can't be traded due to Nintendo's flawed system on censorship.

CaptainCombusken
4th July 2011, 4:56 PM
Hate to say this Dattebayo, but you're incorrect.

Previously, due to the censor that prevented Pokémon with offensive nicknames being traded on the GTS, an English language Cofagrigus could not be traded without a nickname. However, the filter has since been removed altogether.

Apparently according to the reliable source of Bulbapedia, this is inaccurate.
I must say, I really like the designs and concepts of pretty much all the generation five Pokemon. That said, I would only use Litwick and evos and maybe Golett and evo in an ingame party.

Hmm... now I got Black, I have no Idea what to use in Gray.
Samurott's a definite. Other than that, no idea.

The Eleventh
4th July 2011, 5:15 PM
Cofagrigus couldn't be traded for some time on the GTS due to its name containing "***". However, as Proby3 said, the filter has since been removed. It was a major fail on Nintendo's behalf.

Grei
4th July 2011, 5:37 PM

I enjoyed using Jellicent when I did. I personally like the females a little more, but both genders look neat. Jellicent is good as a Special Defense wall. I imagine if you gave it Toxic and Hex to go with its good Special Defense, it'd be good. I used mine as a Special Attacker in-game to moderate success.

As far as facing them, use a physical Grass-type or Dark-type attack on them. Their special defense will make moves like Giga Drain a little less effective, but they can't take physical attacks nearly as well.

Why would you ask this when you had only received one answer for your previous question?

Anyway, Cofagrigus, design-wise looks very lame to me. I've never felt any inclination to use it. Maybe if it gets a cool evo in the future, I'll using it. I've only ever fought them, and they were nothing special. From what I can tell, their biggest perk is Mummy.

Geekachu
4th July 2011, 6:41 PM
Jellicents are cool. I have to say that I much prefer Female ones. But Water/Ghost is a cool type combo, and I think I'll use one in the third version

I personally think it's got an awesome design. Great defense, but I've heard it's movepool isn't exactly the best in the world

CaptainCombusken
4th July 2011, 6:55 PM
You know what I want next gen? Burning Ground (or other name but same effect), basically Toxic Spikes but Fire type. I would also then like Third Degree (again, other names would be fine), a Fire type Toxic. I then would like the Poison conditions to lower the opponent's special attack. Along with that, certain fire moves now inflict badly burned status instead of normal burned status.

I would SO love that.

Then, imagine just how good Jellicent would be. One quick Toxic and a Special attacker becomes completely useless against it. Then it uses Hex to destroy that opponent along with the Poison.

Endless
4th July 2011, 7:35 PM
Well, the sprite was awful. It is far to messy. The same goes for Eelektross, if both of them had a little calmer and more harmonious animations, I believe more people would like them. However I love Eelectross, actually one of my all time favorites. But if you put Cofagrigus in the right light it might look really nasty. If you have downloaded the Pokedex app for the 3DS I recommend just looking at it for a while. Its body looks calm and just hover a little up and down, while its arms are really bizarre. That animation actually changed my opinion on him.

Stat wise, I think he is quite good if you want a defensive wall. His abillity is also really notable, but I don't know how usefull it is. But I don't like its typing, I wanted him to be Ghost/Rock, the same way I wanted Druddgeon to be Dragon/Rock. That would have been cool because we didn't get too many Rock types this time.

You know what I want next gen? Burning Ground (or other name but same effect), basically Toxic Spikes but Fire type. I would also then like Third Degree (again, other names would be fine), a Fire type Toxic. I then would like the Poison conditions to lower the opponent's special attack. Along with that, certain fire moves now inflict badly burned status instead of normal burned status.

I would SO love that.

Then, imagine just how good Jellicent would be. One quick Toxic and a Special attacker becomes completely useless against it. Then it uses Hex to destroy that opponent along with the Poison.
I think we should stop speculating in 6th gen. If we ever want the 3rd game speculation thread re-opened.

Dattebayo
4th July 2011, 7:45 PM
I find the male Jellicent more appealing as it looks like Mr. Pringle. BTW, is this set decent for one:

Scald
Hex
Ice Beam
Recover

Valoo.
4th July 2011, 8:03 PM
I like Jellicent alright. It has a cool typing, and is good as a wall. I personally like the male verions more, the female is to pink and frilly. I never used it, and probably won't, but I still like the look of it. Cursed Body is a quite cool ability as well.

Cofagrigus is ok. It's sprite is too busy, and the Pokemon itself isn't too great either. I like the egyptian theme, and I love Yamask, but I'm indifferent to Cofagrigus. Mummy is usefull enough, but not great, and it's move pool is lackluster.

I find the male Jellicent more appealing as it looks like Mr. Pringle. BTW, is this set decent for one:

Just ask Smogon of course.

KuroiMawile
4th July 2011, 8:50 PM
But if you put Cofagrigus in the right light it might look really nasty. If you have downloaded the Pokedex app for the 3DS I recommend just looking at it for a while. Its body looks calm and just hover a little up and down, while its arms are really bizarre. That animation actually changed my opinion on him.

That was not fun to look at.
I agree though, that Cofagrigus could've been a unique type. (Druddigon not as grass/dragon is shocking)
That set, I can see the logic in it, Ice beam or scald for a status, then hex it to death with recovery from... recover. Water absorb would prevent that strategy though.
Is Cursed Body a useful ability? I played through Black with CB Jellicent for the E4, Castle-battles, and Black city and never saw it work once.

General Nonsense
4th July 2011, 8:56 PM
Is Cursed Body a useful ability? I played through Black with CB Jellicent for the E4, Castle-battles, and Black city and never saw it work once.

I don't see why it wouldn't be useful. Maybe you were just unlucky.

The Eleventh
4th July 2011, 9:17 PM
I prefer to go with Jellicent's Water Absorb, rather than Cursed Body. The latter relies too much on luck, while you're guaranteed another resistance with the former. I like to use:

Jellicent @Leftovers
-Scald
-Hex
-Water Spout
-Recover
Nature: Calm
EVs: HP 252, Def. 76, Sp. Def. 180

Yet again I get the first post of the page. Hurrah. >_<

CaptainCombusken
4th July 2011, 9:51 PM
I have more posts per page than the average. I prefer it this way. Makes the threads seems shorter and more... accessible somehow.

Anyhoo, does anyone have the links to those cool comics of all the 5th gen Pokemon, around the time they were released in Japan? They're in Japanese, but I really liked them and would like to see them again.
You know the ones I mean. The ones where this picture (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/ef/Snowless_Vanillite.png) came from.

Ok, new discussion topic: Which is the best Fossil of 5th gen?

I personally prefer Tirtouga/Carracosta, but I sort of like both.

Valoo.
4th July 2011, 10:01 PM
I never used either of them, but I like Carracosta better. Sea turtle just appeals to me more. Archeops is cool, but I don't like hindering abilities. Carracosta has a good movepool, and just looks baddass. So slow though.

Seem
4th July 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure about the Japanese comics there, but personally I think Archeops is the better of the two! Good to see another flying type fossil Poke!

Of course, I'm biased. Carry is great too though.

Adrexus
4th July 2011, 10:02 PM
I like Archeops more. Even though it does have a terrible ability it has monstrous attack and good speed. I wouldn't want to use it too often in competitive battling. But I imagine it could be very effective ingame since very little in Unova outspeeds it. Carracosta is kind of cool too. At least it has solid rock which makes it take super effective hits a little more easily. Too bad its got terrible special defense because it has pretty good physical defense.

Endless
4th July 2011, 10:32 PM
I have more posts per page than the average. I prefer it this way. Makes the threads seems shorter and more... accessible somehow.

Anyhoo, does anyone have the links to those cool comics of all the 5th gen Pokemon, around the time they were released in Japan? They're in Japanese, but I really liked them and would like to see them again.
You know the ones I mean. The ones where this picture (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/ef/Snowless_Vanillite.png) came from.

I personally prefer Tirtouga/Carracosta, but I sort of like both.
I found them:
http://img156.imageshack.us/g/4komazuruzukin.jpg/
However i had quite a few problems locating themas I get a Error Message whenever i try to use the Search function on this forum. Does anyone else have that problem?

Over to the fossils. As always, I really enjoy the acient pokemon's degins. I love how Archeops are based on the dinosaurs that later evolved into birds. I think the idea of having it part feathered and part with scales( scaled?) is really creative. His color scheme is very exotic and stand out from the mainstream. The only thing that irks me is that it loses its beak when it evolves. He also have great stats, too bad that his abillty suck.

Carracosta on the other hand is also awsome. Turtles are on of my favorite animals and Carracosta shows that turtels arent always cute but also badass. I really like its head, but the flippers look kind of wrong... He got the stats to be a decent wall and have one of the best defensive abillities, to bad that his typing is quite horrible for a wall. So I must say that i like the raptor more.

Fun Fact: The Carracosta line is the first fossils to not have Rock as their Primary type.

Zhanton
4th July 2011, 11:39 PM
Archeops is really ugly and it's ability really makes it a glass cannon. When it's got full health though, it's a monster.

Carracosta on the other hand is quite cute yet looks pretty strong. It's got a nice movepool with access to both Curse and Shell Smash, and doesn't look awkward at all.

Dattebayo
4th July 2011, 11:54 PM
I never used either of them, but I like Carracosta better. Sea turtle just appeals to me more. Archeops is cool, but I don't like hindering abilities. Carracosta has a good movepool, and just looks baddass. So slow though.

Shell Smash solves all problems.

Mr. pokedude
4th July 2011, 11:59 PM
I've been lucky enough to use both of them, all and all, I like archeops so much more. Even spamming shell smash kept it getting wiped out. Yet my archeops has hardly been defeated this generation. I'm not saying it hasn't but it's rare for it to accur. My (vote) answer is to acheops by miles/

Zhanton
5th July 2011, 12:02 AM
I've been lucky enough to use both of them, all and all, I like archeops so much more. Even spamming shell smash kept it getting wiped out. Yet my archeops has hardly been defeated this generation. I'm not saying it hasn't but it's rare for it to accur. My (vote) answer is to acheops by miles/

That's your problem. You don't spam Shell Smash. You use it once, and thanks to Sturdy you survive, at which point you should be faster than your opponent and you can now sweep sweep sweep. Don't use Shell Smash unless you have Sturdy though, because Sturdy ensures that you get at least one Shell Smash in.

Raptor_Pie
5th July 2011, 12:31 AM
I love both fossil pokemon but archies defeatist really kills it for me. I prefer shell smash sturdy.
On another note, does anyone know a good jynx moveset? i want to use jynx but a i suck with ice pokemon:(

KickAsh
5th July 2011, 12:48 AM
I like it.
I think it has a really cool design (everything from the body to the arms to the face), Mummy is a cool ability, I like the way GF show the progression from Yamask, and it has really intriguing PokeDex entries--overall I just think Cofagrigus is a great looking and cool Pokemon.

Normally I'm a huge fan of fossil Pokemon, and this gen was no different. I really like both of them. Carracosta is neat. I like it's color scheme, how it's shell resembles armor, and I like a lot about it. But I have to say I like Archeops more. I love Archeops--it's feathers, it's pose, it's face, it's everything.
Although competitively I think I would use Carracosta.

Solfatara
5th July 2011, 1:10 AM
I love the fossil pokes of this gen. When I first saw archeops' base stats, I was terrified of its capabilites as a life orb-user, but due to its horrible defenses and ability, in addition to the prevalence of priority moves, it kind of died on me.
Carracosta on the other hand... It simply rocks with shell smash (outspeeding at least base 110s I believe), and provided sand support actually becomes really bulky on both sides! Its design is also lovely; I always had a thing for turtles, and blue is my favourite colour.

General Nonsense
5th July 2011, 3:50 AM
Archeops is the better fossil IMO. I know it has a horrid ability, but when I used Archeops on my team, its ability rarely activated since it often outsped the opponent and OHKO'd them.

Dattebayo
5th July 2011, 4:18 AM
Thoughts on Gigalith? While it has less weaknesses than Golem and a better use for Sturdy, it sadly has a shallower movepool than it, which makes me wonder why they say Golem is outclassed by him. Rock Polish won't be saving its horrid speed. Its only good set is Stone Edge, EQ, Stealth Rock, and Explosion.

General Nonsense
5th July 2011, 4:20 AM
Gigalith is pretty cool IMO. I might use one on a team at some point, probably with a moveset with curse.

jolteon135
5th July 2011, 5:26 AM
Thoughts on Gigalith? While it has less weaknesses than Golem and a better use for Sturdy, it sadly has a shallower movepool than it, which makes me wonder why they say Golem is outclassed by him. Rock Polish won't be saving its horrid speed. Its only good set is Stone Edge, EQ, Stealth Rock, and Explosion.
Golem might have more moves but most of them are useless competitively except sucker punch. They have the same usable movepool. Gigalith has higher stats in everything except speed. The only thing Golem has going for it is that it's better at running a Rock Polish set due to slightly higher speed and that it can KO focus sash/faster sturdy Pokemon with sucker punch.

R_N
5th July 2011, 5:33 AM
Golem might have more moves but most of them are useless competitively except sucker punch. They have the same usable movepool. Gigalith has higher stats in everything except speed. The only thing Golem has going for it is that it's better at running a Rock Polish set due to slightly higher speed and that it can KO focus sash/faster sturdy Pokemon with sucker punch.

Also stab earthquake

Dattebayo
5th July 2011, 5:40 AM
Golem might have more moves but most of them are useless competitively except sucker punch.

I don't remember Fire Punch and Thunderpunch being useless.

Grei
5th July 2011, 6:12 AM

It really does. Which is why I'm bummed that Samurott doesn't get it.

I used Gigalith in-game. It was Impish and rarely ever fainted due to Sturdy and it's insanely high defenses. I used

Sandstorm (along with a Smooth Rock; to raise Sp. Def, half of my team was immune to Sandstorm damage)
Stone Edge (powerful STAB)
Earthquake (powerful Ground-type move)
Rock Smash (good for coverage, could have been Stealth Rock or Curse)

And I loved it. The shallow movepool sucks, but its design is wicked and its defenses are great, with an attack score that isn't shabby, either.

Dattebayo, I don't believe that's true. Gigalith would be fine with that set if Explosion was switched to Curse. An Impish Gigalith on a Sandstorm team with a move that raises its Attack and Defense is pretty sweet.

Of course, a slow Rock-type is bound to not shine in the metagame anyway.

jolteon135
5th July 2011, 6:28 AM
I don't remember Fire Punch and Thunderpunch being useless.

Lol, elemental punches are useless. 75 power non-STAB move isn't doing anything unless you get a 4x hit on something like Ferrothorn or Gyrados. Even with life orb and max attack it still fails to OHKO the standard Relaxed 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD Ferrothorn. RestTalk Gyra also survives the Thunder Punch after intimidating Golem. Both Ferrothorn and Gyra survive 4x hits from the elemental punches and easily KO Golem or at least bring it down to 1 HP.

R_N
5th July 2011, 6:59 AM
Besides, I doubt that Golem wants to stay in on, say, anything Fire Punch/Thunder Punch would be strong against.

Mr. pokedude
5th July 2011, 9:50 AM
That's your problem. You don't spam Shell Smash. You use it once, and thanks to Sturdy you survive, at which point you should be faster than your opponent and you can now sweep sweep sweep. Don't use Shell Smash unless you have Sturdy though, because Sturdy ensures that you get at least one Shell Smash in.

That's what you say, I spam it, it keeps getting wiped out, I use it once, it keeps getting wiped out. I just thought of it as honest sadness in my use. The strange thing is it was great as tirtouga yet terrible as carracosta. Maybe I am making a mistake but maybe not, all i can say is that i just don't like using carracosta and i much rather prefer archeops.

Eh, I was never a big giggalith lover. And much rather would use golem like i did in HG. However the sturdy is very handy to land a hit. Maybe set up a stealth rock even.

(Stupid question time!!!) (How do you post two quotes at the same time?)

Endless
5th July 2011, 11:59 AM
I have never liked pure Rock types, they seem to have huge problems both offensive and defensive. I am also not a big fan of using pokemon that is extremely common in the games, except the regional birds( I have never used a regional rodent, extremely common rock or bat on my team). But I must say that he looks really cool and Roggenrola looks cooler. To bad his movepool sucks.

You qoute more people by tapping the bag instead of the usual quote button, when you're at the last person you shall quote you use the usual quote button.

CaptainCombusken
5th July 2011, 2:42 PM
Rock is tied with Grass with the most weaknesses.
Grass: Fire, Flying, Bug, Ice, Poison.
Rock: Water, Grass, Fighting, Steel, Ground.

Which of those has the most commonly used types? I'd say on balance probably Rock. So essentially, Rock is one of the worst defensive types. Is also has the same number of resistances.

Why on earth is it, therefore, that Rock types are given the "bulky" role? With that many weaknesses, it just doesn't make sense to me to field a bulky Rock. Far better to field a bulky Water, they have fewer weaknesses, the same number of resistances.

Just giving my opinion on rock types. I'm obsessed by weaknesses and I'm always trying to find the perfect Pokemon typing that will resist the most types AND have not many weaknesses (preferably none at all).

Dattebayo
5th July 2011, 3:21 PM
Lol, elemental punches are useless. 75 power non-STAB move isn't doing anything unless you get a 4x hit on something like Ferrothorn or Gyrados. Even with life orb and max attack it still fails to OHKO the standard Relaxed 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD Ferrothorn. RestTalk Gyra also survives the Thunder Punch after intimidating Golem. Both Ferrothorn and Gyra survive 4x hits from the elemental punches and easily KO Golem or at least bring it down to 1 HP.

Then you're saying they're useless for Hitmochan and soon, Golurk and Braviary?

Geekachu
5th July 2011, 5:28 PM

How would Braviary be able to use the elemental punches?

はるひ
5th July 2011, 5:42 PM
The idea of a grass punch is funny tho lol

Grei
5th July 2011, 5:47 PM

I don't know why Braviary would be able to punch anything.

Also, on a Golem, yes, they're useless. Hitmonchan can better deal with Pokemon that Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunderpunch are super-effective against. Golem wouldn't want to stay in on a Grass-type in order to Fire Punch it. Golem wouldn't want to stay in on a Gyarados in order to Thunderpunch it. Common sense.

Lorde
5th July 2011, 5:48 PM

Maybe Braviary would use its wings or talons? Isn't that how Staraptor uses Close Combat?

はるひ
5th July 2011, 5:51 PM
I don't know why Braviary would be able to punch anything.

Staraptor can use close combat and it's a bird

はるひ
5th July 2011, 5:52 PM
Maybe Braviary would use its wings or talons? Isn't that how Staraptor uses Close Combat?

It uses it's wings.

TheMaster327
5th July 2011, 5:56 PM
The idea of a grass punch is funny tho lol

There is. It's called Needle Arm. :)

Dattebayo
5th July 2011, 6:04 PM

It'll use its talons, and Smogon has been speculating that idea before.

Valoo.
5th July 2011, 6:15 PM
Smogon are idiots then.

Grei
5th July 2011, 6:28 PM
Staraptor can use close combat and it's a bird

And Braviary cannot use Close Combat. What is your point?

Geekachu
5th July 2011, 7:43 PM

In my dictionary, generally ravaging the foe with its talons isn't the same as punching. It's a silly idea, I don't know why Smogon has speculated such idiocy. Hence one of the reasons why you shouldn't be a Smogon drone.

XXD17
5th July 2011, 8:06 PM

not really...Carracosta is way too slow to use shell smash...I have one with quirky nature maxed for speed and attack EV's with sturdy. It turned out that even after a shell smash, this thing is still too slow...even my crustle is more effective at using shell smash than this carracosta is...and that's why I like archeops more...

Đew™
5th July 2011, 8:12 PM
Eh, I prefer Reno (for his sense of humor) and other fans to smogon. And how often have you seen an eagle clench its talons like a fist? I haven't, I've only seen the talons clenched around something else. Smogon's head must be in its own smog. The only thing worth speculating is if there will be elemental pecks or even scratches.

R_N
5th July 2011, 8:28 PM
And Braviary cannot use Close Combat. What is your point?

Wait what? I thought for sure the war eagle would get close combat

oh I see, it gets Super Power. Because....yeah!!
What the hell is SuperPower anyway. The animation & descriptions are so vague

Valoo.
5th July 2011, 8:44 PM

I just imagined it Braviary glowing and slamming into the foe, like many other attacks. Although the Anime showed it throwing a rock or something.

Cassiopeia
5th July 2011, 8:46 PM
I just imagined it Braviary glowing and slamming into the foe, like many other attacks. Although the Anime showed it throwing a rock or something.
Wait.
wut?
I just imagined Superpower as wildly ramming into the foe :/

Valoo.
5th July 2011, 8:49 PM
Wait.
wut?
I just imagined Superpower as wildly ramming into the foe :/
I imagined it that way too, but the Anime showed it as then glowing then throwing a rock.

The Eleventh
5th July 2011, 8:51 PM

The Pokémon just attacks the foe. . . with great (super) power. xD It's very, very, vague indeed. It's too vague. Its current description alludes that every "strong" Pokémon should be able to use the move, which obviously isn't the case.

I imagined it that way too, but the Anime showed it as then glowing then throwing a rock.
Now, you see, a Totodile glowing blue and throwing a rock is very impressive. That's why it's called Superpower.

XXD17
5th July 2011, 9:27 PM
The Pokémon just attacks the foe. . . with great (super) power. xD It's very, very, vague indeed. It's too vague. Its current description alludes that every "strong" Pokémon should be able to use the move, which obviously isn't the case.

Now, you see, a Totodile glowing blue and throwing a rock is very impressive. That's why it's called Superpower.

I always though of it as a giant punch or a massive ramming attack...

Dattebayo
5th July 2011, 10:32 PM
not really...Carracosta is way too slow to use shell smash...I have one with quirky nature maxed for speed and attack EV's with sturdy. It turned out that even after a shell smash, this thing is still too slow...even my crustle is more effective at using shell smash than this carracosta is...and that's why I like archeops more...

There's your problem, Quirky nature is a neutral nature, which is bad. You need a different nature that benefits speed.

Grei
5th July 2011, 11:07 PM

Maybe for some reason they deemed that Braviary shouldn't be able to use punching attacks, so they gave it Superpower.

I dunno. All I know is that Braviary can't punch. At least, nothing seems to suggest it can.

KaitxKidnap
5th July 2011, 11:11 PM
Maybe for some reason they deemed that Braviary shouldn't be able to use punching attacks, so they gave it Superpower.

I dunno. All I know is that Braviary can't punch. At least, nothing seems to suggest it can.

It could punch with its talons maybe. Or its face but that would be more of a headbutt.

Endless
5th July 2011, 11:18 PM
I don't think we will ever see braviary with the elemental punches. For all the generations that the moves have existed, only otwo pokemon without hands have learned them. And that's Ghastly and Wooper, and even then there is ideas on how it would happen. But the important thing is that both of those pokemon's evolutions do have hands and Braiary, do not.

I think it is safe to say that no pokemon with legs that look like legs will ever use them for punching. You may hope for Blaze Kick, but Fire Punch is very unlikely. Blazing talons do sound much more like a kick than punch.

Valoo.
5th July 2011, 11:28 PM
It could punch with its talons maybe. Or its face but that would be more of a headbutt.
It can't punch with it's talons; those are his legs.

XXD17
5th July 2011, 11:31 PM
There's your problem, Quirky nature is a neutral nature, which is bad. You need a different nature that benefits speed.

I don't see how that's the problem...it's speed isn't hindered in any way...my crustle is bashful and can out-speed a tornadus after a shell smash...the carracosta can barely out-speed a vanilluxe...all based on actual experiences in the battle facility...

R_N
5th July 2011, 11:53 PM
I think it is safe to say that no pokemon with legs that look like legs will ever use them for punching. You may hope for Blaze Kick, but Fire Punch is very unlikely. Blazing talons do sound much more like a kick than punch.

Oh man, a Blaze Kick move tutor would be slick as hell.

MetalFlygon08
6th July 2011, 5:19 AM
Oh man, a Blaze Kick move tutor would be slick as hell.

considering how many pokemon could learn it.

Raichu(Mabye)
Wigglytuff
Machamp(Mabye)
Primeape
Rapidash
Dodrio
Magmar
Tarous
Flareon
Mew
Typhlosion (mabye)
Azumarril(mabye, since rabbits kick and all)
Girafarig(horse kick style)
Entei
Breloom(Kick Boxing)
Medicham
Lopunny
Pansear
Zebstrika
Conkledurr(mabye)
Sawk
Throh(mabye)
Darmanitan
Scrafty
Sawsbuck(mabye, deer are very powerful kickers, but I'd see Hi Jump Kick 1st)
Meinshao
Buffolant
Keldeo

Pokémon Trainer J
6th July 2011, 5:28 AM
It can't punch with it's talons; those are his legs.

in the anime Staraptor uses Close Combat attacking with his talons, and he looks awesome charging against his opponent, i don't see why Braviari wouldn't be able to cover his talons in fire, electricity or infusing them with ice-cold power to hit an enemy... not that the punches are super powerful attacks, but are fun to use

Dattebayo
6th July 2011, 5:40 AM

Raichu(Mabye) I really see no use for it.
Wigglytuff Still stinks.
Machamp(Mabye) A kicking Machamp is something to behold.
Primeape No comment.
Rapidash Suitable alternative for Flare Blitz.
Dodrio Something to differentiate itself from Staraptor.
Magmar He's not too good as a mix sweeper.
Tarous Perfect sub for Fire Blast back in G1.
Flareon YES!
Mew Obvious.
Typhlosion (mabye) Physical moves aren't its specialty
Azumarril(mabye, since rabbits kick and all) With Ice Punch, I doubt it'll need it.
Girafarig(horse kick style) Eh, anything to cover its bug weakness.
Entei An excellent alternative over Flare Blitz for those who don't have the event Entei.
Breloom(Kick Boxing) Excellent coverage.
Medicham High Jump Kick may still be preferrable for Medicham.
Lopunny Good enough.
Pansear No comment.
Zebstrika Still missing coverage.
Conkledurr(mabye) I really can't imagine him kicking.
Sawk Meh, I prefer the elemental punches.
Throh(mabye) Same with Conkeldurr.
Darmanitan Not sure if it's a good alternative for its Belly Drum set.
Scrafty D<
Sawsbuck(mabye, deer are very powerful kickers, but I'd see Hi Jump Kick 1st) Sawsbuck will need it over High Jump Kick to cover its Bug and Ice weakness.
Meinshao I see no benefit.
Buffolant I prefer Zen Headbutt.
Keldeo Again, I see no benefit.

You seem to have forgotten Stantler, Miltank, Electabuzz, and the rest of the Musketeer Trio for they too would benefit a bit using that move.

R_N
6th July 2011, 5:47 AM
in the anime Staraptor uses Close Combat attacking with his talons, and he looks awesome charging against his opponent, i don't see why Braviari wouldn't be able to cover his talons in fire, electricity or infusing them with ice-cold power to hit an enemy... not that the punches are super powerful attacks, but are fun to use

Real birds also attack with their talons like that.

But, anyway, considering the fact that Staraptor didn't get the punches, I wouldn't hold my breathe over Braviary getting them.

Grei
6th July 2011, 6:17 AM

Raichu(Mabye)
Wigglytuff
Machamp(Mabye)
Primeape
Rapidash
Dodrio
Magmar
Tarous
Flareon
Mew
Typhlosion (mabye)
Azumarril(mabye, since rabbits kick and all)
Girafarig(horse kick style)
Entei
Breloom(Kick Boxing)
Medicham
Lopunny
Pansear
Zebstrika
Conkledurr(mabye)
Sawk
Throh(mabye)
Darmanitan
Scrafty
Sawsbuck(mabye, deer are very powerful kickers, but I'd see Hi Jump Kick 1st)
Meinshao
Buffolant
Keldeo

I would love this more than anything. Scrafty, being a fighter focused on kicking, is made for Blaze Kick.

Samurott with Shell Smash
Scrafty with Blaze Kick (and Sucker Punch)
LOTS of Pokemon (Leavanny, Unfezant, Accelgor) with Acrobatics

This would make Grey for me.

MetalFlygon08
6th July 2011, 6:42 AM
the 3D pokedex shows Unfeazant punching with it's talons, it's a shame it can't learn anything like Double Kick, Close Combat, Mega Kick, etc.

Also Datt. the pokemon were not picked with --> (*( smogon in mind, just pokemon that should be able to kick, though the cow, orgin deer, and goats did slip my mid.

Geekachu
6th July 2011, 10:02 AM
<snip>

Some nice ideas, I particularly liked Dodrio, Breloom and Scrafty

Samurott with Shell Smash

Yes- exactly this

If not, I think I might buy the third version just so I can have the pleasure of smashing it up with a baseball bat.

Valoo.
6th July 2011, 11:58 AM
My point was that you can't punch with your legs. Staraptor getting Close Combat makes sense because it's not exclusively a punching move.

Samurott with Shell Smash would be awesome. Hopefully it will happen, although Shell Smash seems to go to Pokemon with actual shells on their back. Maybe Torterra will get it.

CaptainCombusken
6th July 2011, 2:36 PM
My point was that you can't punch with your legs. Staraptor getting Close Combat makes sense because it's not exclusively a punching move.

Samurott with Shell Smash would be awesome. Hopefully it will happen, although Shell Smash seems to go to Pokemon with actual shells on their back. Maybe Torterra will get it.

Yeah, but the move is Shell smash. Samuott has shells, clearly. Move Tutors would basically make Opal a better game.
Along with other stuff.

But yeah, other Move tutor moves/Changes to movesets I'd like to see:
Serperior- Aqua Tail, Iron tail, Poison fang. Poison tail.
Emboar- Fire Punch, Thunderpunch
Samurott- Leaf Blade, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch
Zebrstrika- Bounce, Flare Blitz, Flame wheel, Double kick, Jump Kick, Sucker Punch
Unfezant- Wing Attack, Extremespeed, Slash
Gigalith- Cross Chop, Superpower, Heavy Slam, Meteor Mash
Swoobat- Thunderbolt, Ice beam, Flamethrower
Beartic- Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch, Mach Punch, Drain Punch, Waterfall, Aqua Jet.

Valoo.
6th July 2011, 2:39 PM
Yeah, but the move is Shell smash. Samuott has shells, clearly. Move Tutors would basically make Opal a better game.
Along with other stuff.
I know, but the way it's shown is a Pokemon with an actual shell (like Crustle and Torterra). Samurott doesn't have a shell on his back, he just has some smaller peices of shell as armor. WHile it would be great for him, all the Pokemon who can learn it so far carry shells.

Cassiopeia
6th July 2011, 3:29 PM
I know, but the way it's shown is a Pokemon with an actual shell (like Crustle and Torterra). Samurott doesn't have a shell on his back, he just has some smaller peices of shell as armor. WHile it would be great for him, all the Pokemon who can learn it so far carry shells.

I hope they at least make it an egg move. Then it could breed with Torkoal so it could get it.

Geekachu
6th July 2011, 3:44 PM
Along with other stuff.

Serperior- Aqua Tail at a push, though, Iron tail , Poison fang. Poison tail.
Emboar- Fire Punch, Thunderpunch
Samurott- Leaf Blade, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch Really?
Zebrstrika- Bounce, Flare Blitz, Flame wheel, Double kick, Jump Kick, Sucker Punch some of these are a bit...
Gigalith- Cross Chop ..., Superpower, Heavy Slam, Meteor Mash
Swoobat- Thunderbolt, Ice beam, Flamethrower srsly?
Beartic- Fire Punch :S, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch, Mach Punch, Drain Punch, Waterfall, Aqua Jet.

Some of these are alright, but some of them I really can't see happening.

CaptainCombusken
6th July 2011, 4:14 PM
Zebstrika needs a better physical moveset. It only has a few moves. I think Flare Blitz, Flame wheel, Double Kick and Jump kick should definitely be included so it gets a better moveset.
I agree, the Swoobat was my wishful thinking because I have it on both my teams (both my Black and my White) so I want some powerful moves that aren't either of its types for it.
I could definitely see Aqua Tail on Serperior... But yeah, no Fire Punch on Beartic. That was definitely wishful thinking.
I do see the Samurott ones though. It can definitely punch. And Leaf Blade is probably the most obvious one IMO. I forgot to add Shell Smash to that list for Samurott...

Valoo.
6th July 2011, 4:16 PM
Serperior- Aqua Tail, Iron tail, Poison fang. Poison tail.
Emboar- Fire Punch, Thunderpunch Yes
Samurott- Leaf Blade, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch How would it know Thunderpunch?
Zebstrika- Bounce, Flare Blitz, Flame wheel, Double kick, Jump Kick, Sucker Punch No Flare Blitz or Flame Wheel. Sucker Punch is a stretch.
Gigalith- Cross Chop How?, Superpower, Heavy Slam, Meteor Mash
Swoobat- Thunderbolt, Ice beam, Flamethrower Err...
Beartic- Fire Punch?, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch, Mach Punch, Drain Punch, Waterfall, Aqua Jet.
Oops, I didn't see this bit. Comments in bold.

Dattebayo
6th July 2011, 4:28 PM
What about Lilligant, Heatmor, Vanilluxe, Stunfisk, Emolga, Liepard, Seismitoad, and Klinklang? They too need useful moves/better coverage.

Geekachu
6th July 2011, 4:36 PM
Let's face it, not all the Pokemon are going to get good coverage. I s'pose that's just how it goes

Pokémon Trainer J
6th July 2011, 5:10 PM

i know, neither me nor any other human can punch with his legs since we can't do fists to punch with our feet, but birds legs anatomy is different since they can totally close their talons and form a close fist to punch, is just an observation

Beartic- Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch, Mach Punch, Drain Punch, Waterfall, Aqua Jet.

it should be a move alredy capable of learn in this versions since it is a HM, i don't think they will make it available next version

Dattebayo
6th July 2011, 5:33 PM
Let's face it, not all the Pokemon are going to get good coverage. I s'pose that's just how it goes

But we need more Pokemon capable of beating the big boys while at the same time have to follow the rules of usage capacity tier placements.

Grei
6th July 2011, 5:52 PM

Torterra with Shell Smash would be awesome.

Also, Samurott has a huge shell on it. I think it counts.

But we need more Pokemon capable of beating the big boys while at the same time have to follow the rules of usage capacity tier placements.

No, Smogon does. GameFreak doesn't care about Smogon, so they aren't going to make changes to their game in order to please some silly site.

I'd love for Lilligant to be able to hit more than just Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types, but GameFreak's possible decision to change the movesets will have absolutely nothing to do with Smogon.

Also, Seismitoad's movepool is just fine. It could use Ice Punch or Ice Beam, but besides that, it's not begging for useful moves like other Gen V Pokemon are. :S

Dattebayo
6th July 2011, 5:59 PM
Also, Seismitoad's movepool is just fine. It could use Ice Punch or Ice Beam, but besides that, it's not begging for useful moves like other Gen V Pokemon are. :S

That's what it's lacking, a good ice move (and a good physical water move that goes along with Ice Punch).

The Eleventh
6th July 2011, 6:27 PM
That's what it's lacking, a good ice move (and a good physical water move that goes along with Ice Punch).
It does need a good physical Water-type move. I was surprised when I learned it couldn't even learn Waterfall. How bad is that? -_-

Grei
6th July 2011, 7:07 PM

And for that reason, I wouldn't group it in with Pokemon like Lilligant, Serperior, Unfezant, and Klinklang who all are begging for more moves to use. Same with Emolga. Seismitoad and Emolga have very usable movesets already.

arceus7
6th July 2011, 7:25 PM
overall I found dragon tail a crap move and I find having two special grass type moves a little meh, Ingame I keep getting rid of giga drain for other moves but I always wind up having giga drain on the move set just because the healing is a better option, the other mover especially dragon tail just dont cut it, serperior needs some help srsly

Dattebayo
6th July 2011, 7:55 PM
And for that reason, I wouldn't group it in with Pokemon like Lilligant, Serperior, Unfezant, and Klinklang who all are begging for more moves to use. Same with Emolga. Seismitoad and Emolga have very usable movesets already.

But Emolga lacks a fighting move to cover its only weaknesses, which is important for every Pokemon.

Grei
6th July 2011, 8:04 PM
But Emolga lacks a fighting move to cover its only weaknesses, which is important for every Pokemon.

You make me want to murder Smogon No.

overall I found dragon tail a crap move and I find having two special grass type moves a little meh, Ingame I keep getting rid of giga drain for other moves but I always wind up having giga drain on the move set just because the healing is a better option, the other mover especially dragon tail just dont cut it, serperior needs some help srsly

Dragon Tail is a very good move, actually. It personally saved me against Cynthia, and forcing your opponent out after dealing them damage is a very good thing. It's a common move to put on a Serperior.

Why not switch one of your Special Grass-type moves to Leaf Blade? Leaf Blade is also a very common move for Serperior. Unless yours is, like, Timid or something.

Valoo.
6th July 2011, 8:38 PM
You make me want to murder Smogon No.
While I too want to murder Smogon, Dattebayo does have a point. While not needed to make something good, covering your weakness(es) is very useful.

KickAsh
6th July 2011, 9:03 PM
Emolga actually has two weaknesses (Ice and Rock) and Emolga gets Iron Tail as an egg move to cover BOTH of those weaknesses. Sure, Iron Tail is awesomely accurate, but if you're gonna insist on type coverage for every Pokemon--well, beggars can't be choosers.
And anyway I'm pretty sure Emolga's strengths don't lie in attacking. From what it looks like, Emolga seems to be a pretty good Baton Passer or just a simple staller/annoyer--Static, Roost, Encore, Agility, Volt Switch--it has all the right tools to be a serious annoyance in the right environment.

Endless
6th July 2011, 9:05 PM
I myself don't hate Smogon. When you play competitive it can be really handy. They have also put alot of thought into their tiers and clauses. However, I'm not particularly fond of Smogon talk in a discussion based around in-game. I say keep the SMogon talk to Smogon and other competitive sites. We even have a competitive section on this very forum, we can't you discuss your EV spreads and competitive-centered movepool there?

Dattebayo
6th July 2011, 9:07 PM
Emolga actually has two weaknesses (Ice and Rock) and Emolga gets Iron Tail as an egg move to cover BOTH of those weaknesses. Sure, Iron Tail is awesomely accurate, but if you're gonna insist on type coverage for every Pokemon--well, beggars can't be choosers.
And anyway I'm pretty sure Emolga's strengths don't lie in attacking. From what it looks like, Emolga seems to be a pretty good Baton Passer or just a simple staller/annoyer--Static, Roost, Encore, Agility, Volt Switch--it has all the right tools to be a serious annoyance.

Iron Tail's not that good of a move due to its fail accuracy (though not as bad as Focus Blast), and strength is important for Emolga if it wants to be the superior Pikachu clone.

KickAsh
6th July 2011, 9:22 PM
Iron Tail's not that good of a move due to its fail accuracy (though not as bad as Focus Blast), and strength is important for Emolga if it wants to be the superior Pikachu clone.
Yeah I mentioned the low accuracy.
And isn't Emolga superior to Pikachu? Has it really not been proven to be "the superior Pikachu clone"?
I'm not asking a rhetorical question.
Seriously how is Emolga not wayyy better than Pikachu?

Cassiopeia
6th July 2011, 9:25 PM
Yeah I mentioned the low accuracy.
And isn't Emolga superior to Pikachu? Has it really not been proven to be "the superior Pikachu clone"?
I'm not asking a rhetorical question.
Seriously how is Emolga not wayyy better than Pikachu?
Light ball.

rocky505
6th July 2011, 9:58 PM
Light ball. Yes and it can evolve. Plus it gets surf and it can fly.

arceus7
6th July 2011, 10:00 PM
My serperior has coil and leaf blade already, I have frenzy plant and giga drain on him

(got rid of leaf tornado since the accuracy boost from coil was good enough and the damage wasnt really "there"

I found dragon tail useless, it gets more usage in Wifi battles than in game honestly and it always goes second for some reason even though my serperior had 200 spd in stats at 75.

I just dont really have any viable replacements for grass type moves as my tm choice is not really 'there"

since when did pikachu know fly in gen 5? hmm?

lol X_X

rocky505
6th July 2011, 10:06 PM
THat is the problem with Serperior its movepool sucks. Your best bet for a moveset would be.

Serperior
Jolly
-Leaf Blade
-Coil/Swords dance
-Aerial ace
-Return

You could use Iron Tail with Coil though but that means you'll have to breed.

R_N
6th July 2011, 10:08 PM
Yes and it can evolve. Plus it gets surf and it can fly.

Sometimes it gets surf or fly. Fly isn't exactly that useful, anyway.
Doesn't stop it from being ridiculously frail.

And as of now, Light Ball is unreleased. Poor poor Pika

arceus7
6th July 2011, 10:12 PM
God damn I just restarted platinum...

Can you buy iron tail in HGSS ?

Bleh, are Contrary snivy's out?

Energy Ball is useless on all grass types that learn giga drain now.

I have been raising a cincinno and a garbordor lately are they viable in UU at all?

I hope dark pulse dragon pulse and drain punch are move tutor moves, scraggy and my hydreigon team of 6 are wanting them badly ( seriously breeding with garadyos from
dark pulse? god so depressing)

Do you think that gamefreak will have different types of TMs in the third version?

Iron tail... replace AerialAce or return?

Dattebayo
6th July 2011, 10:14 PM

Not to mention that Emogla doesn't have enough power to hit hard.

Cassiopeia
6th July 2011, 10:14 PM
Thus is not a speculation or help thread.

Thoughts on Bisharp?

rocky505
6th July 2011, 10:19 PM
Bisharp has a very awesome animation in the 3Dex. It learns awesome moves but it evolves too late.

arceus7
6th July 2011, 10:19 PM
it should stay as a pawniard^

3dex?
What is that all about didnt care to read it.

KickAsh
6th July 2011, 10:21 PM
Thoughts on Bisharp?
It's amazing. I love that design. It's easily one of my favorite Pokemon from Unova and actually probably somewhere on my list of all-time favorite Pokemon.

Endless
6th July 2011, 10:23 PM

I have been raising a cincinno and a garbordor lately are they viable in UU at all?

I hope dark pulse dragon pulse and drain punch are move tutor moves, scraggy and my hydreigon team of 6 are wanting them badly ( seriously breeding with garadyos from

Do you think that gamefreak will have different types of TMs in the third version?

I'm not in the mood to answer all this as you could easely have found out yourself. Just two simple answers.
1) In HGSS you het Iron Tail when you beat Jasmine, so if you have completed the game and don't have it, then you have used it somehow.

2) When Contrary Snivy is being released. it will be pretty big news, (form a competitive stand) so you will hear it when it happens.

Thus is not a speculation or help thread.

Thoughts on Bisharp?
I think he looks really cool. I like the Black Knight origin.And it was just yesterday that he noticed that he could withdraw its blades somehow(pokedex 3D). He got a really cool color, both the normal and the shiny. His typing is very uniqe and cool, too bad he got a 4x weakness to the common Fighting type. The only thing I don't like about him is the ispiration from Power Ranger as I never liked that show.
It doesn't hurt that he got one of the most awsome basic stage pokemon ain 5th gen as an prevo, Pawniard.

Geekachu
6th July 2011, 10:30 PM
It's amazing. I love that design. It's easily one of my favorite Pokemon from Unova and actually probably somewhere on my list of all-time favorite Pokemon.

Meh, it's design is kinda cool, but I thought it was kinda mediocre and generic.
I don't know much about it's stats, but it's crippling weakness to Fighting-type moves mean I haven't really fought against one that much.

2) When Contrary Snivy is being released. it will be pretty big news, (form a competitive stand) so you will hear it when it happens.

Am I the only one who isn't bothered about Contrary Serperior? Sure, there's that great boost from Leaf Storm but until it's moveset is made better I'm not that bothered

The only thing I don't like about him is the ispiration from Power Ranger as I never liked that show.

U srs?

arceus7
6th July 2011, 10:33 PM
He doesnt like power rangers since the show is stupid the plot is stupid and jhonny young bosch makes him jelly jealous.

rocky505
6th July 2011, 10:37 PM
Am I the only one who isn't bothered about Contrary Serperior? Sure, there's that great boost from Leaf Storm but until it's moveset is made better I'm not that bothered

No your not alone I feel the same way. I hate when people say Serperior is the best starter in 5th gen just because of Contrary.

arceus7
6th July 2011, 10:42 PM
well Its either serperior or samurott, but samurott's stats arent exacty where they should be and it needs a bit mor revision in its move set.

Emboar is meh.

rocky505
6th July 2011, 10:45 PM
Emboar is better than Serperior do to move diversity. It is the only fire type that can use a damaging water move, It learns moves to cover its weaknesses unlike Serperior.

Witchan
6th July 2011, 10:50 PM
Emboar's the freaking man. He can handle also every pokemon in Trick Room with his impressive Attack stat and subpar Speed stat.

Samurott's decent with the Swords Dance+Aqua Jet combo, but it would've been better if it has more Speed points instead of 70.

Serperior's decent too, but the average movepool hurts his credibility of being a starter like Venusaur and Meganium (not Sceptile and Torterra since they have more moves than their Grass counterparts).

rocky505
6th July 2011, 10:53 PM
Venusaur was pretty good when I used it on LG. Toxic+leech seed+Leftovers= monster.

Grei
6th July 2011, 10:54 PM
While I too want to murder Smogon, Dattebayo does have a point. While not needed to make something good, covering your weakness(es) is very useful.

I was directing that moreso at the "EVERY POKEMON NEEDS IT" part.

Not in the 5th Gen, it doesn't.

If you're thinking of getting the Iron Tail TM in Platinum and then transferring it over to the 5th Gen to teach it to Serperior... it won't work. Items can't be held by Pokemon being transferred to Black and White, and furthermore, since TMs are unbreakable, they cannot be held, so even if you somehow were able to make a Pokemon keep the TM as it gets transferred over, your game would mess up because Pokemon can't hold TMs.

I'm really surprised you don't know this. This is all really common knowledge.

well Its either serperior or samurott, but samurott's stats arent exacty where they should be and it needs a bit mor revision in its move set.

Emboar is meh.

Actually.

Serperior kind of sucks due to not having many options. Samurott is the more balanced of the three starters, and it stats are all actually pretty fine, save for its Speed. Samurott also has more moves to choose from than Serperior. Serperior is only good for seeding enemies and, in the case of a Contrary Serperior, spamming Leaf Storm. Samurott, and moreso Emboar, have more options and can generally use them better. Unfortunately, while Samurott and Emboar are superior in offense and having options, they are inferior in speed, and Emboar takes this especially poorly due to being the slowest.

In short: Competitively, the Unova Starters all suck. Emboar has choices but is slow could use more defense; Samurott is more balanced, which means he's not awful at anything but not extremely good at anything, either; Serperior can do pretty much nothing (besides seeding and Dragon Tail-ing) faster than any of them.

Endless
6th July 2011, 10:59 PM
I myself aren't really bothered, as I don't play competitve much for the time. However I remember that it was a suprime powerhouse in the DW tier on PO. Contrary might not sound as much, but if it survives one round it can be quite fatal. But if we just talk about in-game. I don't think it will get much use because Leaf Storm only got 8PP, and that's with a PP Max. And after all, you don't usually need stat boost in the course of a normal story. But with Serperior's awful movepool, it might help a little.

U srs?
Yes, I'm "srs".

He doesnt like power rangers since the show is stupid the plot is stupid and jhonny young bosch makes him jelly jealous.
I don't know how Jhonny Young Bosch is involved(probably an actor or voice actor) but I don't really care. I might have gotten the wrong impressions because there is so many seasons. The one I remember watching was Time Force, I didn't like it. Later I tried again with Mystic force but I found it even worse.

Pokechan
6th July 2011, 11:02 PM
Emboar is better than Serperior do to move diversity. It is the only fire type that can use a damaging water move, It learns moves to cover its weaknesses unlike Serperior.
I agree, but the problem with Emboar is that he is slow and fragile which is disappointing since I actually like Emboar. Nitro Charge can fix his speed issue and his hp does somewhat help, but he should have been given more speed and defenses while Serperior should have been given more of a movepool along with better offensive stats. Samurott is the most balanced of the starters which means he is not good at anything, but he is not bad at anything either. And like Grei said the Unova starters do suck competitively since a lot of the other Unova Pokemon can do the same things they can do except better with more specialized stats.

rocky505
6th July 2011, 11:02 PM
Not in the 5th Gen, it doesn't.
it will be getting Fly in 13 days in 5th gen. So yes it does.

Grei
6th July 2011, 11:07 PM

Since... when?

rocky505
6th July 2011, 11:10 PM
Since... when?Since the ANA Pikachu event was revealed.

arceus7
Emboar is meh

Why?
Cuz its a fat sucky pig.

Samurrot is what I use mostly in the first place

Serperior would be much better if it had a more diverse move pool

Lol I have iron tail on my torterra, Going to breed that with serperior

Endless
Since... when?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Nintendo_event_Pok%C3%A9mon_in_20 11#ANA_Pikachu
See the first pokemon on the list. It comes out July 18th.

R_N

Fly shouldn't really be considered a "pro" for Pikachu. It's not that useful, even if it did have Light Ball.

Now Surf, there's something with a bit of use to it.

Grei
6th July 2011, 11:13 PM
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Nintendo_event_Pok%C3%A9mon_in_20 11#ANA_Pikachu
See the first pokemon on the list. It comes out July 8th.

Has Serebii made any post about this? I never read anything about it.

King Lawliet
6th July 2011, 11:15 PM
Pretty sure he did as that's how I first heard about it

rocky505
6th July 2011, 11:16 PM
Serebii still hasn't put it on the upcoming event list.

Endless
6th July 2011, 11:16 PM

I don't remember it ever listed on the main site. However here is the home page for ANA. I don't know if anything there is about the pikachu as i don't read Japanese.
http://www.ana.co.jp/pr/11-0406/11a-028.html
Full Article from Bulbapedia:http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pikachu_that_know_Fly_to_be_distributed_in_Japan

Alex048
6th July 2011, 11:24 PM
After looking at Samurott's animation in Pokedex 3D, I really hope GameFreak has Samurott standing upright and wielding its swords in the next few games.

Endless
6th July 2011, 11:28 PM
After looking at Samurott's animation in Pokedex 3D, I really hope GameFreak has Samurott standing upright and wielding its swords in the next few games.

I'm starting to lose faith in that he can stand up-right. Because in all official medias where he has his sword out, he is supporting his body with the other front leg.

King Lawliet
6th July 2011, 11:33 PM
http://www.serebii.net/archive/May-2011.shtml

On the Serebii main site

thekorean
6th July 2011, 11:33 PM
My Bisharp

lvl65- Serious nature- Defiant

Iron Defense
Night Slash
Iron Head
Sword Dance

Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

arceus7
6th July 2011, 11:37 PM
do regenorator mienshao's exist yet?

time to breed my scraggy.

rocky505
6th July 2011, 11:38 PM
do regenorator mienshao's exist yet?

time to breed my scraggy. Go to the freaking help thread! Yes they exist because it is not it's DW ability.

Dattebayo
7th July 2011, 12:02 AM
Bisharp is the most badarse dark type, hands down. He looks more like a Kamen Rider than a Power Ranger.

SleepingDeath0
7th July 2011, 12:05 AM
Bisharp is the most badarse dark type, hands down. He looks more like a Kamen Rider than a Power Ranger.

You, my (hopefully) friend, are awesomeness ^^ But yeah, Bisharp/Kirikizan is pretty beast. I mean, something that looks a bit like Kamen Rider Kuuga mixed with Another Agito, on my Pokemanz game? Heck yeah!

thekorean
7th July 2011, 12:19 AM
So guys, should I get Rock Polish or stick with Iron Defense and Sword Dance?

arceus7
7th July 2011, 12:20 AM
rock polish

Grei
7th July 2011, 1:05 AM
My Bisharp

lvl65- Serious nature- Defiant

Iron Defense
Night Slash
Iron Head
Sword Dance

Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

So guys, should I get Rock Polish or stick with Iron Defense and Sword Dance?

Dude, wrong thread.

Go here. (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=513365)

This thread's clearly for discussion, not rating your team.

thekorean
7th July 2011, 1:21 AM
My apologies. So did you guys raise the Larvesta or catch the lvl70 Volcarona? Whats special about the one in Relic Castle?

Cassiopeia
7th July 2011, 1:23 AM
My apologies. So did you guys raise the Larvesta or catch the lvl70 Volcarona? Whats special about the one in Relic Castle?

Its just higher leveled.
Tbh, I wish GF had an incentive to hatch and raise the larvessta egg. Maybe Earth Power or something :/

Mister_SGG
7th July 2011, 1:25 AM
So did you guys raise the Larvesta or catch the lvl70 Volcarona?

I wanted one pre-E4, so I trained the Larvesta. Course, he still didn't evolve till post-game.

Whats special about the one in Relic Castle?

Nothing.

SleepingDeath0
7th July 2011, 1:53 AM
Eh, it was more fun raising the Larvesta. So yeah, i did that.

thekorean
7th July 2011, 1:59 AM
Me too. I raised it to Volcarona and beat Alder with it. His Druddigon and Volcarona gave me some trouble though.

JD
7th July 2011, 2:30 AM
Hmm I never bothered actually raising a Larvesta I caught that Volcorona but I never actually used it I put in the PC. So Haxorus or Hydreigon which one do you prefer? I like Haxorus a lot more to be honest it may not be a pseudo legendary but it's easier to get and after one DD the thing is pretty much a bulldozer that can't be stopped.

thekorean
7th July 2011, 2:40 AM
Hydreigon, has two elements so its effective against more. although its at the same time weak against more.

Ok, so i was battling Marshal for the 3rd time, and his Mienshao knocked it self out, I didnt do anything. He missed both Hi Kick.

jolteon135
7th July 2011, 2:46 AM
^Think that's bad. Alder Accelgor was using Focus Blast while my Darmanitan used Bulk Up. It missed 5 times in a row!

Ememew
7th July 2011, 3:39 AM
My apologies. So did you guys raise the Larvesta or catch the lvl70 Volcarona? What's special about the one in Relic Castle?

Unless you count the fact that it's holding a SilverPowder, not much (like others have said). That said, you can also get the SilverPowder by using Thief/Covet on the Volcarona rather than catching it, or through finding it in Pinwheel Forest or the Dream World. It's not a great item, but that's the only other thing about that particular Volcarona of note.

Pokechan
7th July 2011, 5:40 AM
Hmm I never bothered actually raising a Larvesta I caught that Volcorona but I never actually used it I put in the PC. So Haxorus or Hydreigon which one do you prefer? I like Haxorus a lot more to be honest it may not be a pseudo legendary but it's easier to get and after one DD the thing is pretty much a bulldozer that can't be stopped.
I love the both of them, but I like Hydreigon better since it has a great typing along with better stats except for attack and it has extra weaknesses to fighting and bug. Not to mention that it's pre evolutions are extremely hard to raise, but if you can get passed the training you will have yourself a monster of a Pokemon. Haxorus is great too with that insanely high attack stat and mono dragon typing, but he has poor special defense and special attack. Both of them are excellent dragon type Pokemon so none of them are bad choices.

Mark_Chaos
7th July 2011, 6:12 AM

I'm going to regret saying this, but isn't Bisharp based off of Kamen Rider?

MetalFlygon08
7th July 2011, 6:13 AM
Speaking of potential tutors.

Drill Run

now I know it's Excadrill's sig move. But all non-judgement Signature Moves get distributed to other Pokemon eventually.

just look at the Pokemon that shouldb capable of pulling it off.

Fearow*
Sandslash
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Dodrio*
Hitmonchan**
Seaking
Tarous
Lapras
Skarmory
Hitmontop
Claydol
Empoleon
Rhypherior
Samurott
Ferrothorn
Klingklang
Bisharp

*-Either Fearow or Dodrio, not both, preferably Fearow, to give him somthing different than the 3-headed bird.
**-Referene his corkskrew punch that apparently can shatter 2ft. of concrete.

Grei
7th July 2011, 6:39 AM
I trained a Larvesta--not the one given in-game, but one specifically bred with Morning Sun--and while it was really hard, it was really fulfilling. Volcarona's a monster.

Of Haxorus and Hydreigon, I prefer Haxorus. The idea of a Dark/Dragon Pokemon seemed awesome to me, but I don't like Hydreigon. Maybe it's my inner hipster that doesn't want to like the Pokemon that everyone drools over.

R_N
7th July 2011, 6:46 AM
Speaking of potential tutors.

Drill Run

now I know it's Excadrill's sig move. But all non-judgement Signature Moves get distributed to other Pokemon eventually.

just look at the Pokemon that shouldb capable of pulling it off.

Fearow*
Sandslash
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Dodrio*
Hitmonchan**
Seaking
Tarous
Lapras
Skarmory
Hitmontop
Claydol
Empoleon
Rhypherior
Samurott
Ferrothorn
Klingklang
Bisharp

*-Either Fearow or Dodrio, not both, preferably Fearow, to give him somthing different than the 3-headed bird.
**-Referene his corkskrew punch that apparently can shatter 2ft. of concrete.
Sounds like someone isn't aware that Fearow already has Drill Run!

03Juice
7th July 2011, 6:54 AM
Iron Tail on Emolga won't work. Ice is mostly used by water types and rock moves mostly by Ground/Fight types for coverage. There aren't that many Rock/Ice types that are actually used so a water/grass move would be way better. I would just use electric moves since that's SE against water and neutral to Ice. And emolga is crappy anyway. Pikachu>

Adrexus
7th July 2011, 7:38 AM
You know, Hydreigon is one of those pokemon for me where it just doesn't hold a lot of appeal. I do not dislike Hydreigon, but it never caught my attention. I will admit it has a creative design and the name scheme is pretty clever too. Its a good battler, (Although Emboar owned Ghetsis' Hydreigon with hammer arm) with a good movepool. But Haxorus appeals to me much more due to its massive 147 attack and part of its design is based off of an axe.

BCVM22
7th July 2011, 7:47 AM
Haxorus and Hydreigon are different sides of the same coin.

Haxorus is pure Dragon; Hydreigon is part Dark.

Haxorus does Attack very well, Speed well and everything else passably; Hydreigon is considerably more well-rounded, putting up excellent Special Attack but still doing everything else well.

Haxorus is pure Attack as its movesets go; Hydreigon's base Special Attack is higher than its base Attack, by a margin small enough that you can run mixed sets on it with the right vitals, and ones with excellent coverage at that.

Haxorus can bypass other abilities with Mold Breaker; Hydreigon avoids Earthquake with Levitate.

You get the idea; it depends on what you want out of your dragon. For my money, Hydreigon is simply more well-rounded and versatile.

Geekachu
7th July 2011, 7:48 AM
I never trained my Larvesta- nor have I really trained one. However I suppose I'll get that experience in the third game since I'm planning Volcarona on my team.

Out of Haxorus and Hydreigon, I can't make too much of a judgement because I haven't really used Hydreigon yet. Hydreigon's got an awesome design, and a cool typing. However after using one on my White, I can safely say that I'm in love with Haxorus. It was one of those Pokemon like Darmanitan that I'd use as a last resort if a battle was too tough. For me, Swords Dance-Outrage was very helpful to defeat many teams, one of them being Cynthia's. Haxorus is awesome

Mark_Chaos
7th July 2011, 7:58 AM
Sounds like someone isn't aware that Fearow already has Drill Run!

Or the Rhyhorn family...

General Nonsense
7th July 2011, 4:05 PM
Is Vanilluxe any good? I'm going to use one on a team at some point.

Will-powered Spriter
7th July 2011, 4:28 PM
It's got pretty neat stats overall and STAB ice attacks are a force to be reckoned with. However ice types have too many common weaknesses, and despite its high special attack, it has very few special attacks, only being able to use ice, steel and normal. It can't deal with steel types, or frillish.

thekorean
7th July 2011, 4:49 PM
So I was thinking I should transfer my Celebi over to Black. Would that activate Zorua event?

NeohopeSTF
7th July 2011, 4:50 PM
So I was thinking I should transfer my Celebi over to Black. Would that activate Zorua event?
Its has to be the event the celebii.

Geekachu
7th July 2011, 5:39 PM
Is Vanilluxe any good? I'm going to use one on a team at some point.

It's got nice rounded stats. I don't think it's moveset is amazing, however I've heard good things about it and I quite like it's design (unlike many other anti-ice cream protesters) so I think I'm going to be using it in the third version

NeohopeSTF
7th July 2011, 5:41 PM
Soo thoughts on Crustle i really like its Design and possible Movesets.

CaptainCombusken
7th July 2011, 5:44 PM
I used Crustle in my E4 Rematch Scramble. I mist say I really like him. I'm quite fond of Bug/Rock types because of their lack of many weaknesses. Crustle looks good and has some great moves hidden in that shell of his, including Smashing that shell and some powerful STABs as well as the ever useful Earthquake.

Grei
7th July 2011, 7:32 PM

One of the best Pokemon I've used in Unova. I'm not sure why I stopped using it.

Once it gets Shell Smash, it's incredible. I gave mine Stone Edge, X-Scissor, and Earthquake, and he totally rocked.

multi-scale
7th July 2011, 7:49 PM
On my first White team I used Carracosta just for Shell Smash. Then I saw Crustle and thought "Why does Crustle not get Shell Smash? It's shell is 90% of it's body." Then I checked the pokedex and saw that it did get Shell Smash. I am so stupid sometimes. I'm thinking of using it on my next team.

General Nonsense
7th July 2011, 7:52 PM

I think Crustle looks cool. I'm going to use one on my future bug monotype team.

Dattebayo
7th July 2011, 9:42 PM
Crustle looks good to use, the only problem is that like Armaldo, it lacks a move to counter water types, and I guess GF want it to stay that way. Best to bring a grass or electric type in your party to counter that weakness.

NeohopeSTF
7th July 2011, 9:44 PM
Crustle looks good to use, the only problem is that like Armaldo, it lacks a move to counter water types, and I guess GF want it to stay that way. Best to bring a grass or electric type in your party to counter that weakness.
I was this was my In-game team.
Frillish(Evolite) Crustle Archeops Serperior Darmanitan Reuniclus

Pokechan
7th July 2011, 9:44 PM
How are Mienshao and Scrafty? They both have cool designs and I love Scrafty's typing, but I love that Mienshao can learn Aura Sphere. Anyone use one of those in their game?

Accipitri
7th July 2011, 9:59 PM
I haven't used either one but they're both pretty popular in competitive from what I understand. Mienshao usually runs a physical set with the Regenerator ability and U-Turn. Most sets I've seen are purely physical and use Hi Jump Kick over Aura Sphere. Scrafty benefits from having access to Dragon Dance and Bulk Up.

Dattebayo
7th July 2011, 10:03 PM
Used a Meinshao before during a Wi-Fi match, it's really great, though I wish I had a Flying Gem. I nicknamed it Chung-Li.

Valoo.
7th July 2011, 10:11 PM
How are Mienshao and Scrafty? They both have cool designs and I love Scrafty's typing, but I love that Mienshao can learn Aura Sphere. Anyone use one of those in their game?
I've never used Mienshao, so I can't comment on it, though I like it's design. I have a Scrafty as a reserve for my main team, and it's really good. Hi Jump Kick is a great move, and Moxie a great ability. I also like Scrafty's design, and Dark/Fighting is a great typing.

Used a Meinshao before during a Wi-Fi match, it's really great, though I wish I had a Flying Gem. I nicknamed it Chung-Li.
Lest ye forget Datte, you Chung-Li was no match for my Sceptile.

Cassiopeia
7th July 2011, 10:13 PM

Finally we can agree on something.

Mienshao>Sceptile

Dattebayo
7th July 2011, 10:14 PM
Lest ye forget Datte, you Chung-Li was no match for my Sceptile.

True, but it did helped me win on another match after ours.

Valoo.
7th July 2011, 10:45 PM
Mienshao>Sceptile
You have made a very powerful enemy today.

The Eleventh
7th July 2011, 10:50 PM
I love Mienshao, it's one of my favourite Unova Pokémon. I adore the Flying Gem + Acrobatics technique, which it can avail of. It's also good for U-turning, and Hi Jump Kick is a great STAB move. I use it all the time on Pokémon Online.

rocky505
7th July 2011, 10:55 PM
I used a Meinshao on my subway team and barely beat the master thanks to its regenerator ability.

The Eleventh
7th July 2011, 10:59 PM
I used a Meinshao on my subway team and barely beat the master thanks to its regenerator ability.
Yeah, Regenerator is a good bonus while using U-turn. Mienshao mightn't be almighty, but it can hold its own perfectly well.

Grei
7th July 2011, 11:27 PM

I've never used Mienshao. I've heard it's good, but frail.

Scrafty, on the other hand, I've used twice, both to massive success. Against the Elite Four, Scrafty owns. Marshall is the only one that beats it, but the other three can be taken out single-handedly by Scrafty. My favorite set is

Dragon Dance
Drain Punch
Crunch
Zen Headbutt

Raises its attack and speed and drains the opponent. It regains HP and gets a Moxie boost, and the cycle repeats itself.

I dunno. Mienshao's Regenerator seems neat, but Scrafty's Moxie makes him a killing machine, in my opinion.

Endless
8th July 2011, 1:40 AM
Well I like its design. As a Dwebble it is both cute and awsome at the same time. I can't say that Chrustle is cute, but the awsoemness never got away.I have tried it a little on-line and it was very good. However it wouldn't be anything without Shell Smash. I haven't tried him in-game, but I believe he can do quite well there too.

I don't like Mienshao, it remind me of a certain Digimon, and I don't like Digimon anymore. Might not be a surpirse but I haven't tested it.

I've never used Mienshao. I've heard it's good, but frail.

Scrafty, on the other hand, I've used twice, both to massive success. Against the Elite Four, Scrafty owns. Marshall is the only one that beats it, but the other three can be taken out single-handedly by Scrafty. My favorite set is

Dragon Dance
Drain Punch
Crunch
Zen Headbutt

Raises its attack and speed and drains the opponent. It regains HP and gets a Moxie boost, and the cycle repeats itself.

I dunno. Mienshao's Regenerator seems neat, but Scrafty's Moxie makes him a killing machine, in my opinion.

I agree to some degree.
Scrafty was extremely easely and important for my playthrough. He could both take hits and pack a puch.
However I don't see the reason for a dragon dance because mine was so good that he never needed it. i believe his moveset was something like: Karate Chop, Hi Jump Kick(Just when I really was in a pinch), Crounch and some non-stab move that I realle never seemed to need.
One important thing: If you're gonna use it for a playthrough, you don't need Moxie. Mine had Shed Skin and did very well anyway. And I'm sure that it activated alot more than 33% of the time.

Dattebayo
8th July 2011, 2:24 AM
Seeing Crustle's typing makes me wish Kingler was part bug.

Blackjack the Titan
8th July 2011, 4:46 AM
Seeing Crustle's typing makes me wish Kingler was part bug.

Then all crab-like Pokemon should be Bug types.
Crustle is a hermit crab. And Kingler is a crab.

misterdarvus
8th July 2011, 4:52 AM

Omg I love scrafty! Its very bulky and rest+shed skin is wonderfull!

Dattebayo
8th July 2011, 4:59 AM
Then all crab-like Pokemon should be Bug types.
Crustle is a hermit crab. And Kingler is a crab.

Not just a crab, GenosectArceus, a giant enemy crab.

Sert908
8th July 2011, 5:01 AM
That signature is creepy @Dattebayo lol.

thekorean
8th July 2011, 7:17 AM
Omg I love scrafty! Its very bulky and rest+shed skin is wonderfull!

But I do hate the typing. You are still weak against fighting and flying.

Shine
8th July 2011, 7:51 AM
But I do hate the typing. You are still weak against fighting and flying.

2 weaknesses = small, compared to many other Pokemon.

Not to mention that Dark + Fighting = a very wide coverage, and you get STAB on both.
Its Type is actually perfect, it's very rare for a wide coverage to have STAB on both.

Blackjack the Titan
8th July 2011, 2:03 PM
Plus Thunderpunch and Ice Punch for Flying coverage.

Zhanton
8th July 2011, 2:06 PM
^Rock Slide gets better coverage than Thunderpunch but is probably ever so slightly better than Ice Punch purely for the fact that it gets slightly better coverage.

Dattebayo
8th July 2011, 3:36 PM
I would've use Scrafty on my team if it didn't look gangsta (think of the poor innocent Pokemon they may have teased/tortured in the wild).

Solfatara
8th July 2011, 5:07 PM
Scrafty is definitely my favourite from genV. @Grei: I use the exact same set as yours, only with stone edge over zen headbutt. I think it gains slightly better coverage, but if you're afraid of fighting types coming in I suppose the headbutt is better. Dragon Dance moxie is ridiculous in-game. Mine soloed cynthia when it was around ten levels below her pokémon. (It did have 31 in atk, HP and speed, and was EV-trained, but still). But actually, what I find even more crazy than that, was that her garchomp survived a +5 drain punch. How bulky is that thing??

Birds of Paradise
8th July 2011, 6:00 PM
What do you guys think about Eelektross and Galvantula? I'm getting ready to restart on my black version and I can't decide which one to choose. Eelektross's slow speed kind of irks me, but the levitate ability takes care of its ground weakness, so its slow speed shouldn't be much of a problem then I guess. But the compound eyes ability on galvantula is appealing too. And I also like both of their designs ^-^.

Dattebayo
8th July 2011, 6:05 PM
Eelektross learns Thunder Wave to fix its poor speed, unless you're dealing with a Ground type. Gavantula's forced to use HP Ice on every moveset it's given, so I wouldn't count on it.