PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55

Accipitri
10th August 2011, 10:58 PM
Telepathy and/or a pokemon that's immune to several of them, like Gliscor. I think partnering it up with Gliscor in Sandstorm and Sand Veil might be its best bet... IDK, I just kinda want to find a way to make it useful :/

MetalFlygon08
11th August 2011, 12:28 AM
Doesn't Stunfisk get Muddy Water?

Discharge and Muddy Water in doubles with a Motor Drive Pokemon seems fun

rocky505
11th August 2011, 12:33 AM
Doesn't Stunfisk get Muddy Water?

Discharge and Muddy Water in doubles with a Motor Drive Pokemon seems funYes and Scald.

KuroiMawile
11th August 2011, 1:19 AM
No Im not breeding it. Just go catch a Corsola and train it until it learns Earth Power and breed a Stunfisk with it.

Or Magcargo for Yawn and Earth Power.
[Fisk can have the bulk to take a hit]

arceus7
11th August 2011, 9:34 PM
anyone tried a rain dance thunder combo with fisk?

Aurath8
11th August 2011, 10:34 PM
anyone tried a rain dance thunder combo with fisk?

In the 2 turns you use to setup 1 Thunder you could use 2 Thunderbolts. Apart from Drizzle, I don't find Rain+Thunder too useful.

arceus7
11th August 2011, 11:31 PM
yeah but he has the bulk to take it plus he works well with a rain team not to mention scald gets a boost to it.

Here take this rain team for example
politoed
stunfisk
lanturn/milotic/starmie/ect/
gastrodon/swampert
kingdra/feraligatr
dragonite

dragonite runs a special set with thunder,hurricane, surf, roost
kingdra is a physical attacker who runs with sniper
swampert sets up stealth rocks/gastrodon is a wall
milotic is another waller
stunfisk to do damage while taking up hits,. dragonite and kingdra are sweepers,(or you can abuse starmie too :D)

Grei
11th August 2011, 11:36 PM
yeah but he has the bulk to take it plus he works well with a rain team not to mention scald gets a boost to it.

Here take this rain team for example
politoed
stunfisk
lanturn/milotic/starmie/ect/
gastrodon/swampert
kingdra/feraligatr
dragonite

dragonite runs a special set with thunder,hurricane, surf, light screen
kingdra is a physical attacker who runs with sniper
swampert sets up stealth rocks/gastrodon is a wall
milotic is another waller
stunfisk to do damage while taking up hits,. dragonite and kingdra are sweepers,

On a rain team it could work, but in a normal battle, setting up Rain Dance to abuse Thunder isn't going to be as economical as just using Thunderbolt twice. 2 Thunderbolts > 1 Thunder. 3 Thunderbolts > 2 Thunders, and if you need to use Thunderbolt 4+ times in a regular battle, you probably have other moves that would be more effective, or shouldn't be using Stunfisk.

poopoop
12th August 2011, 1:30 AM
the bad thing about it in rain is that if it gets hit by a water attack uberfisk will drown easily

arceus7
12th August 2011, 4:52 AM
stunfisk has enough bulk not to loose

Burakoru
12th August 2011, 6:20 AM
Well, Stunfisk is indeed epic, I'm a big fan of it's following learnable moves: Bounce, Muddy Water, Discharge, and EQ.
And with the right item, ect., it could probably even beat a same level Zekrom.

BlazingCold
12th August 2011, 6:56 AM
Well, Stunfisk is indeed epic, I'm a big fan of it's following learnable moves: Bounce, Muddy Water, Discharge, and EQ.

Only with EVS and stuff. Only because it has immunity to wild charge.

Zhanton
13th August 2011, 8:42 AM
In all honesty, you can say that about any Pokemon.

I was, in all honesty, contemplating using a Stunfisk for my in-game team, and I will probably use it for my runthrough in the third game. I love its design and typing, and the fact that its a fish which isn't a water-type is pretty amazing.

Grei
13th August 2011, 9:21 AM

I was, in all honesty, contemplating using a Stunfisk for my in-game team, and I will probably use it for my runthrough in the third game. I love its design and typing, and the fact that its a fish which isn't a water-type is pretty amazing.

Me too, actually. I might use one if I ever play through Black or White again. It helps that it can use Surf--makes it a good pair in-game for Carracosta (another Pokemon I haven't used), who would be better with Waterfall.

XXD17
13th August 2011, 9:46 AM

stunfisk makes a pretty amazing wall if it gets pain split...and with scald, it can burn stall really well...gets screwed by grass types though...

Zhanton
13th August 2011, 10:42 AM
Me too, actually. I might use one if I ever play through Black or White again. It helps that it can use Surf--makes it a good pair in-game for Carracosta (another Pokemon I haven't used), who would be better with Waterfall.

Carracosta is another one of those Pokemon that I was contemplating using for my next runthrough. Well, that or Seismitoad, because even though it's ugly, Palpitoad is definitely one of the most adorable Pokemon in BW.

Mister_SGG
13th August 2011, 3:28 PM
Palpitoad is definitely one of the most adorable Pokemon in BW.

No no no. That's Axew.

Zhanton
13th August 2011, 3:31 PM
No no no. That's Axew.

I must admit, Axew is pretty adorable, but Palpitoad just has that quirkiness about him. Of course, I haven't seen any of the anime episodes so Axew is probably extremely cute in those.

Mister_SGG
13th August 2011, 3:34 PM
I must admit, Axew is pretty adorable, but Palpitoad just has that quirkiness about him. Of course, I haven't seen any of the anime episodes so Axew is probably extremely cute in those.

Hm.
http://www.serebii.net/art/th/610.png
http://www.serebii.net/art/th/536.png

Okay, I'll admit Palpitoad is pretty cute, but Axew is on a whole other level. Lol I'm so funny.

Valoo.
13th August 2011, 3:56 PM
...What? It could not do that at all :/

Endoplasmic Reticulum
13th August 2011, 5:02 PM
Palpitoad looks like a PERVERT

manifesto
13th August 2011, 5:06 PM
How does Palpitoad look like a pervert? It's just a mid-stage toad with those cartoonish oversized warts on its body. Nothing perverted here to me.

Btw, I used one. I suggest it for your playthrough. It comes in handy especially at the 4th gym.

Endless
13th August 2011, 5:12 PM
I don't find Palpitoad cute, but I like it. It got a special charm.
When I got the chance, why do people call Palpitoad a perv, I really don't see it.

KickAsh
13th August 2011, 5:14 PM
...What? It could not do that at all :/
^
It's close though.
Choice Specs and +Sp. Atk nature Stunfisk's Earth Power does 93.3% damage to neutral nature Zekrom. Choice Band Zekrom's Outrage with a +Atk nature deals 114.8% damage to neutral nature Stunfisk. And since Zekrom is faster than Stunfisk, it will deliver the KO first.

I, too, really like Stunfisk and will probably use him in Grey. His dual typing (and dual STAB) is fantastic, his design is loveable if not amazing, and I hesitate to say it, but I think he may be my favorite Electric type this gen.

Zhanton
13th August 2011, 11:57 PM
and I hesitate to say it, but I think he may be my favorite Electric type this gen.
Hmmm, I think the title for favourite Electric type this generation for me goes to Emolga. Once again, I considered using this, even through my playthrough I really wanted to swap out anything just so I could use this guy because it's so cute. :3

manifesto
14th August 2011, 12:00 AM
Emolga's okay. But Eelektross grew on me a lot faster. Speaking of fast, I really really wish it were faster. Oh well.

Geekachu
14th August 2011, 12:38 AM

Me too. I looked it up and it's got a really nice movepool. The only thing that puts me off it is that it's become highly synonymous with 'LULZ IT'S TEH DERPISH' speak.

Hmmm, I think the title for favourite Electric type this generation for me goes to Emolga.

Not too fussed about it.

BUT as far as Unovian Electric Types go, Galvantula is fantabulous.

Compoundeyes and Thunder is what Pokemon was made for.

Prestonscott89
14th August 2011, 1:12 AM
Emolga's okay. But Eelektross grew on me a lot faster. Speaking of fast, I really really wish it were faster. Oh well.

agreed...the pre-evolutions though are annoying to level sometimes..at least it was for me, not sure why tho;464;

KickAsh
14th August 2011, 2:44 AM
Hmmm, I think the title for favourite Electric type this generation for me goes to Emolga. Once again, I considered using this, even through my playthrough I really wanted to swap out anything just so I could use this guy because it's so cute. :3
Oh, I forgot about Emolga.
I really wanted to use Emolga, too, and in fact I planned to have one on my Black team up until the very last minute, when I substituted it out for Galvantula. And I didn't even end up using Galvantula. :/
I agree. Emolga is adorable. I love it. Also, it seems like a perfectly ideal support Pokemon. Baton Pass, Encore, Tickle, Volt Switch, Roost, etc--Emolga could be a real annoyance.

manifesto
14th August 2011, 2:53 AM
Emolga's probably just made to be that speedy little twerp that the bigger Pokemon can't catch. Liken it to the snowspeeder that took down the AT-AT in Star Wars. That's just how I feel about it though.

MetalFlygon08
14th August 2011, 7:00 AM
Oh, I forgot about Emolga.
I really wanted to use Emolga, too, and in fact I planned to have one on my Black team up until the very last minute, when I substituted it out for Galvantula. And I didn't even end up using Galvantula. :/
I agree. Emolga is adorable. I love it. Also, it seems like a perfectly ideal support Pokemon. Baton Pass, Encore, Tickle, Volt Switch, Roost, etc--Emolga could be a real annoyance.

I did the trade for Boldore on Route 7, since in BW traded Pokemon have 31 IV's in their best stat, and 20 in the rest (Petilil got 31 SpAtk IV's, Basculin gets 31 Atk IV's, etc...) and they get a good nature.

Lil Minipete turned ou to be pretty epic, actually KOing Ghetsis' Hydreigon.

but why is it named MiniPete? All oher trade Pokemon I can get their nicknames, but not Emolga's/

thekorean
14th August 2011, 7:02 AM
So I am training my Gyarados. So, Aqua Tail or Waterfall?

The rest of the moveset-

Ice Fang
Dragon Dance
Earthquake

Should cover a lot of types with this moveset.

Rock/Fire/Electric/Grass/Steel/Flying/Ground

Grei
14th August 2011, 7:11 AM
^ Depends on if you prefer power over accuracy or not. Aqua Tail is slightly less accurate but will give you more power. Waterfall has more accuracy but may confuse the opponent. You can't really go wrong with either, really, though I would go with Waterfall (even though I like Aqua Tail more).

http://www.serebii.net/art/th/610.png←CUTE-ISH
http://www.serebii.net/art/th/536.png←MUCH CUTER

Just saying. Axew reminds me of a Digimon, honestly. Not that that makes it any less cute, but I dunno... it puts it into a different category for me.

manifesto
14th August 2011, 7:46 AM
Eh, it's not a digimon though. But I get you. I'd like to think that it's an ok pokemon that's more cute in the anime, no matter how annoying its voice actor is. Palpitoad has the derp-factor going for it if you ask me. But idk, I just happen to like Seismitoad more than Haxorus (waits to be shot.)

arceus7
14th August 2011, 8:22 AM
oh wow someone actually admitting haxorus isnt all that In their eyes. Kudos to you.

Garchomp looks funky this gen with his shark stiff neck

I like seismitoad alot too

GOOOOO GAMAGAGAERURORO!

Đew™
14th August 2011, 12:18 PM
oh wow someone actually admitting haxorus isnt all that In their eyes. Kudos to you.

Garchomp looks funky this gen with his shark stiff neck

I like seismitoad alot too

GOOOOO GAMAGAGAERURORO!

Garchy's back sprite is what really gives its shark appearance IMO.

And seismitoad...I've been meaning to breed one with earth power, but if I do, it'll be for competitive play. Otherwise, I can only say I've heard great things about it and that I like its special movepool...its physical movepool is a let down to me.

(I hope this cute pokemon discussion doesn't become similar to the arguement that started on "The official Pokemon discussion thread" in general pokemon discussion last month...trying to be optimistic...)

SasakiThePikachu
14th August 2011, 1:09 PM
But Palpitoad looks squishy and huggable, and its animation is this little wiggling dance! Much cuter than Axew...even though Axew generally fares better in every aesthetic way possible. But in sheer huggable cuteness...no, easily Palpitoad.

*goes off to do her impression of Duplica when she demonstrates how nice it is to snuggle a squishy pokemon :D*

^ I recommend Waterfall on a Gyarados. As long as it has an atk boosting nature it will be monstrous enough with Waterfall...you don't need to worry about that +10 extra power.

LexSuicune
14th August 2011, 6:59 PM
I love Palpitoad's design, the skin tone on the line is a little unsettling though lol

Endless
14th August 2011, 7:07 PM
I usually go with Waterfall. It is a little weaker, but got better accuracy and PP.

Just saying. Axew reminds me of a Digimon, honestly. Not that that makes it any less cute, but I dunno... it puts it into a different category for me.
How?
WHen I think of Digimon, I always think of monsters that look strong, mean, and have alot of armor, weapons and details. If any member of the line would look like a digimon to me, it would be Haxorus.
This picture describes how I feel about the matter: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljh6zb5N8A1qinhg2o1_500.jpg
Not that it is anything bad about it, but it is how I see it.
Also it is quite strange that they put Mudkip as an axolotl while it is a mudskipper.

KickAsh
14th August 2011, 7:09 PM
Use Waterfall. Better accuracy, PP, a chance to flinch the opponent, and with STAB and an +Atk nature, Waterfall is a more useful move and still really powerful.

I did the trade for Boldore on Route 7, since in BW traded Pokemon have 31 IV's in their best stat, and 20 in the rest (Petilil got 31 SpAtk IV's, Basculin gets 31 Atk IV's, etc...) and they get a good nature.

Lil Minipete turned ou to be pretty epic, actually KOing Ghetsis' Hydreigon.

but why is it named MiniPete? All oher trade Pokemon I can get their nicknames, but not Emolga's/
The one that bothers me the most is the Rotom nickname, Eeks.
Emolga took down Ghetsis' Hydreigon? Wow, that's impressive. I think I'm definitely going to use Emolga in Grey.

MetalFlygon08
14th August 2011, 8:06 PM
take note, Emolga was several levels ahead (since it got Traded EXP) and had used Double Team 2 times.

Grei
14th August 2011, 8:36 PM
How?
WHen I think of Digimon, I always think of monsters that look strong, mean, and have alot of armor, weapons and details. If any member of the line would look like a digimon to me, it would be Haxorus.

Mainly because lots of Rookie-level Digimon don't have a lot of armor, either. I dunno. Nothing against Axew or 5th Gen designs, but when I saw Axew's line and how it seemed to get more armor as it went along, it kind of reminded me of a draconian Terriermon or something.

This picture describes how I feel about the matter: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljh6zb5N8A1qinhg2o1_500.jpg
Not that it is anything bad about it, but it is how I see it.
Also it is quite strange that they put Mudkip as an axolotl while it is a mudskipper.

Lmao. I laughed at that.

Bulbapedia says that it's an axolotl (what the hell kind of name is that), with some mudskipper thrown in. not that that means anything

trainertravis
14th August 2011, 11:30 PM
I love the Pokemon in Black and White. They are all so very cool and I think they are really creative.

Nightdawn
14th August 2011, 11:53 PM
I think White and Black looks goofy in some ways but they do stick out more then some of the previous Poke's.

I dislike that White and Black seems to be even more "Needy" of it's counterpart, for i.e White forest and Black City..it gets a bit much.

Im a poison/bug lover so this gen is perfect for me, I LOVE the spider <3 adorable

Đew™
15th August 2011, 1:16 AM
I have no idea what to think of emolga...mine annoys me right now since I know it needs to be a mixed attacker (but isn't). I may like it more when I get a mixed one, but I don't know. Hopefully it suprises me like pachirisu did with its monster special defense.

manifesto
15th August 2011, 8:01 AM
Emolga's just not going to grow on me because of the anime. The TV Emolga makes me want to just eradicate the entire species from my mind.

BCVM22
15th August 2011, 10:25 AM
That's... sort of questionable reasoning on why to like/not like a certain critter, isn't it...?

SasakiThePikachu
15th August 2011, 3:43 PM
Emolga reminds me of Pachirisu - murder to battle against, but I wouldn't ever use one on my team because its movepool is horrendous.

So, what are people's thoughts on the Unova desert pokes, namely Darmanitan, Krookodile and Scrafty? I'm thinking of building a team with them.

Valoo.
15th August 2011, 3:58 PM
Plus Crustle, Maractus and Sigilyph.

I personally like all of the desert Pokemon. I have a Krookodile on my team, and he's great. Brilliant typing, good stats and a nice design. My Krookodile was surprisingly speedy, as I thought it would be a slow Pokemon. It's probably one of my favourite Unova lines.

I used Scrafty for a while, and I also quite like him. Dark/Fighting is a brilliant combination for STAB, and his movepool is diverse. I lso love his defenses as well. And the design is nice too.

As for the rest, I like the look of them, but I've never tried them out. I plan to use a Darmanitan in "Grey" though.

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
15th August 2011, 4:23 PM
Yeah, every desert Pokemon is excellent, except Yamask, if he counts, and Maractus. Krookodile has powerful stats and a great movepool, Scrafty gets Dragon Dance and near perfect coverage, Crustle, SHELL SMASH, and Darmanitan has crazy strong attack boosted by Sheer Force.

I hated battling Emolga. By the time my Excadrill got Rock Slide, it was too late because those demons finished torturing my team. Double Team is ridiculous, Volt Switch is ridiculous, and Aerial Ace counters if I start to Double Team. Probably the third worst nightmare Pokemon to battle against. (First is Hydreigon, second are Super Luck Unfezant/Tranquill/Pidove)

Accipitri
15th August 2011, 8:54 PM
I used Sigilyph on my Black team, and I liked her a lot. Awesome special attack that evened out later in the game, but immediately after catching one it can destroy everything in sight with its high special attack and speed. Magic Guard is an awesome ability as well.

Shine
15th August 2011, 9:15 PM
is Volcarona being counted as one of the desert Pokemon? :p

anyway, this is a good page to discuss about Giratina xD

MetalFlygon08
15th August 2011, 9:57 PM

I C WUT U DID THAR.

My 1st playthrough had a Siglyph.

Since it starts with Air Cutter, well you get it.

Woobat would've been even more epic if these changes were made to it's level up pool.

Replace Confusion with Heart Stamp
Replace Assurance with Mega Drain
Replace Heart Stamp with Psybeam

The Oncoming Storm
16th August 2011, 2:10 AM
I dont like sigilyphs design at all. On gray I don't know flying type im going to use because ive used the two most viable options already.

Also i realize this might not be the best place but since it poped into my head has CoroCoro been released?

Sir DJ
16th August 2011, 2:22 AM
I actually appreciate Sigilyph's design, it is so obsure that it makes it awesome.
He is actually very usable aswell.

Universe Chaser
16th August 2011, 2:30 AM
It's a little strange that they'd only pick one of the Nazca lines to be pokemon (I say use several or none at all), but yes. Sigilyph in my opinion has a creative and cool design, and the ability to wreck when ingame.

Endless
16th August 2011, 2:50 AM
Sigilyph was one of the pokemon that I used in my fist (and only) playthrough of Unova. As I base my team on their designs, it would be hard to get that I really like it. I like how it is based on the Nasca lines, it got a good and interesting typing and is one of the better flying types in the games. I was really impressed by it.

On the topic on the rest of the dessert pokemon, Scraggy is just awsome, both design wise and battling wise. Dwebble already have a reserved place in my team in Grey. Darumakka is mediocre, I don't like him that much. And lastly, I can't stand Sandile.

KickAsh
16th August 2011, 3:48 AM
So, what are people's thoughts on the Unova desert pokes, namely Darmanitan, Krookodile and Scrafty? I'm thinking of building a team with them.

Plus Crustle, Maractus and Sigilyph.

I like most of them. I used a Krookodile and Scrafty on my play-through of Black, and Krookodile was excellent. It has a great design, great type, and thanks to Moxie it is one of the best Pokemon on my team. Scrafty was less impressive, mainly because I caught one with a Bold nature, but he was still good enough that I was impressed with his dual STAB and defenses. Also I love Scrafty's design.

I used Darmanitan on my first play-through of White, and he is a joy to use. As a Darumakka, you can sense his potential but he's not quite there because of Hustle. But Darmanitan plows through everything, he's powerful, has a great design, and is one of those Pokemon that is just extremely fun to use.

As for Crustle, Sigilyph, and Maractus, I like Crustle's design a lot, but I've never used one. Sigilyph is intriguing and seems like a neat Pokemon, but I've never used one either. Maractus I just don't like. At all. I do like Cofagrigus though, and he's a desert Pokemon.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
16th August 2011, 3:57 AM
Yeah I used Sigilyph it was really good

TsukiMirage
16th August 2011, 5:19 AM
Sigilyph was excellent. I wasn't expecting much from it when I replaced my Reuniclus, but it turned out to be far more fun to play with.

Red Charizard
16th August 2011, 5:24 AM
I really want to use Sigilyph, but I'm already using Munna as a Psychic Type in my White Version Playthrough. >:
Maybe next time!~

Grei
16th August 2011, 8:25 AM
Darumakka is mediocre, I don't like him that much.

Darumaka is most certainly not mediocre. Even in its basic stage, you can tell it's going to be strong. Once it becomes a Darmanitan it hits like a truck. Sheer Force-boosted Flare Blitz kills everything, especially if you buy a Life Orb for him.

Đew™
16th August 2011, 12:13 PM

I'd consider it a desert pokemon without a doubt. Considering it's found in a desert whose structures are very reminiscent of those of ancient Egypt (the labyrinth, the "guardians"--sphinx could equal darmanitan). One can even find poke-sarcofagi in said labyrinth. Bulbapedia says, "concept-wise, it may be based on a solar deity," which leads me to believe it is Ra, the sun god of the Egyptians. (Come on, a god on page 666? Hopefully we're safe!)

Anyways, since hopefully this post ends up on p. 666, what do you find to be the most demonic-looking pokemon out there? Shiny absol's blue eyes sure make it seem like it needs an exorcism...

The Eleventh
16th August 2011, 12:37 PM
The desert Pokémon? I like them all, although Sigilyph and Sandile a little less than the others. I'm starting to really like Crustle, so I think Dwebble may have a place on my Grey/Gray/Grei team. Scraggy's my favourite out of all of them, though.

As for your demon question, dewhinifier, I vote Giratina. There aren't many Pokémon that are particularly scary, really.

General Nonsense
16th August 2011, 1:29 PM
Of the desert pokemon, the only one I've used is Sandile and I liked it a lot. I like Sigilyph's design and I like Crustle's design, but I can't say I like the others. Espscially Scraggy.

As for which pokemon looks the most demonic, I agree with SpeedSuicune. Definitely Giritina.

Endless
16th August 2011, 1:41 PM
Darumaka is most certainly not mediocre. Even in its basic stage, you can tell it's going to be strong. Once it becomes a Darmanitan it hits like a truck. Sheer Force-boosted Flare Blitz kills everything, especially if you buy a Life Orb for him.

My fault. I ment design wise. I don't like it that much. I know it is a beast and can do extremely well, but that doesn't really matter to me if it doesn't look good.

On the topic of most demonic pokemon, I prefer to chose two, one in general and one from Unova( after all, it is 5th gen disc)

Out of the 649: I have to go with Houndoom, I love it and it is one of my favorite pokemon. It got the horns and tail of a devil, and it flames burn forever. Imagine that, being stuck with a flame that you can't get rid of, whatever you do. Lastly, its howl sends shivers down the spine on other pokemon and is said to be the call of the Grim Reaper. That's right, no "spiritual world" like in Dusknoirs case, but the Grim Reaper himself.

In Unova: Uh, I think Jellicent is the most demonic. It is really cool looking, but in the same time it got something eerie about it. it is said to drag people deep down in the ocean and god knows what it does there It watches the victim drown in panic In the lack of a better way to describe him, he seem like something from Alice in Wonderland; quite cute looking, but scary and bizarre also

Victory
16th August 2011, 1:46 PM
So did anyone use they're starter in Unova? Did you ditch it right when you got it? I used mine, but then in my second play through I ditched it

Endless
16th August 2011, 2:02 PM
So did anyone use they're starter in Unova? Did you ditch it right when you got it? I used mine, but then in my second play through I ditched it

I have only had one playthrough, as I don't buy both the games and gets sad by the thought of deleting all my exsisting pokemon. But in the one I had, I used my starter the whole time, it was a Samurott and did very well.

Victory
16th August 2011, 2:25 PM
I may use a starter in White I'm not sure...what should I do?

Endless
16th August 2011, 2:30 PM
I may use a starter in White I'm not sure...what should I do?

Depends which starter.
If you start with Snivy and if you don't really love it or you don't want a really difficult pokemon, you should ditch it. There is alot of other Grass pokemon out there.
If you start with Oshawott, I say keep it. it is a lack of Water pokemon in Unova and Samurott can do very well.
If you start with Tepig.... I am not sure. There is other great Fire types and Fighting types, but Tepig is pretty good itself.

Victory
16th August 2011, 2:34 PM
Well Samurott isn't that appealing to me, I used him and well, I liked him, but I didn't like him at the same time. And I have used him so many times

Arceus94
16th August 2011, 3:57 PM
Well Samurott isn't that appealing to me, I used him and well, I liked him, but I didn't like him at the same time. And I have used him so many times

Samurott looks to me like a blow-up figure.
It's just something about his legs :/

Valoo.
16th August 2011, 4:12 PM
I always use my starter.

I started with Oshawott, since I personally love the line. I like otters, and the line's otter-samurai beased design was brilliant. My Samurott was excellent as a water type. Mine had a modest nature, so it hit hard with Special attacks. It's movepool was quite diverse as well. The idea behind his sword-shell was cool as well.

I also traded to get a Tepig around Icirrus. While frail and slow, my Emboar packed a punch. I really like the design, even if the line is Fire/Fighting again. Emboar has a wide movepool as well.

Typhlosionvsworld
16th August 2011, 4:17 PM
Samurott is a beast, though I always found mind to be slower than I hoped it would be.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
16th August 2011, 6:18 PM

Yes but I regret it so much. Emboar was a pretty annoying Pokemon to use, I hate Samurott, and I've already used Serperior

SasakiThePikachu
16th August 2011, 9:38 PM
Most demonic-looking pokemon? What about Gengar?! That grin *shudders*

Also, Audino. While you stare into its blank, empty, dead expression, it sucks out your soul.

Aurath8
16th August 2011, 9:55 PM
I have mixed feelings about Emboar. I hoped that it's power would shine through but it was tooo slow and not bulky enough o use it effectively. I also used the fairly pitiful Break Break over Hammer Arm and Flamethrower over Flare Blitz. Maybe I used it wrong, or maybe I was just trying to compare it to Infernape(which is unfair).
I look forward to using Samurott though.

The Oncoming Storm
16th August 2011, 10:46 PM
I have played through wit wach starter an none of them were bad in my perspective. Samurott wrecked shop. I got a def boosting nature on Embaor so mine took hits and dealt damage with scald, flamethrower, hammeraerm and rollout. It took hits and fought back mercilessly. Serperior was meh. It wasnt bad but it wasnt anything good.

Red Charizard
16th August 2011, 10:51 PM
I can't decide who to use for a sixth team member in my White Team (Seen in my signature).

Any suggestions? A Pokemon who can learn fly would be nice, I've already used Unfeazent and Swoobat.

Đew™
16th August 2011, 10:52 PM
I did a playthrough with all 3.
Samurott was there to cover anything that couldn't be hit super effectively by the other 6 members of my party. I also used, and still do, it for revenge killing with STAB aqua jet.
Emboar was a powerhouse. It absolutely mauled most things.
Serperior was there to cover water types and provided bulk.

All 3 have their own purpose...together, they are oh-so-useful.

I've combined my samurott with other starters on battle subway teams. One of my absolute favorites was the combination of it, my infernape, and my sceptile.

@red_charizard: ARCHEOPS. I never used one in game, but from what I've heard from other users, it's an absolutely amazing pokemon.

BCVM22
16th August 2011, 10:54 PM
I can't decide who to use for a sixth team member in my White Team (Seen in my signature).

Any suggestions? A Pokemon who can learn fly would be nice, I've already used Unfeazent and Swoobat.

Sigilyph would be duplicating Munna's Psychic-type, but it would also be adding your Flying-type and Sigilyph is incredibly versatile in what you can arm it with. Food for thought.

Other than that, Throh might be an interesting option for you if you want something with big-time Attack, good defenses and huge HP.

Aurath8
16th August 2011, 10:54 PM

Braviary or maybe Sigilyph(but that can't afford using up a moveslot for Fly.)
Check 5th Gen Ingame RMT for help on movesets.

The Oncoming Storm
16th August 2011, 11:06 PM

Use archeops its an amazing pokemon and will straight train through your enemies.

Paradoxe
16th August 2011, 11:25 PM

If you need defense (which you probably do) you could trade and get a Mandibuzz. It would be duplicating Liepard, but if you train it right, it could be your team's "rock".

Red Charizard
16th August 2011, 11:27 PM
If you need defense (which you probably do) you could trade and get a Mandibuzz. It would be duplicating Liepard, but if you train it right, it could be your team's "rock".

I was thinking of using Mandibuzz.
I've haven't used one much and I can trade one over from Black easily.
Thanks! :D

Thanks to all you other guys who suggested Pokemon too! C:!~

Paradoxe
16th August 2011, 11:46 PM

Glad to be of service.

The Oncoming Storm
16th August 2011, 11:55 PM

see the only problem wit defensive pokemon is that there is really no need for one ingame. All you need are pokemon who hit harder then others. But it is your decision.

thekorean
17th August 2011, 12:07 AM
Is Ninjask a good pokemon for competitve use? Its speed has to make it a bit attractive.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
17th August 2011, 12:30 AM
I have mixed feelings about Emboar. I hoped that it's power would shine through but it was tooo slow and not bulky enough o use it effectively. I also used the fairly pitiful Break Break over Hammer Arm and Flamethrower over Flare Blitz. Maybe I used it wrong, or maybe I was just trying to compare it to Infernape(which is unfair).
I look forward to using Samurott though.

Yeah I made the mistake of keeping Nitro Charge instead of teaching it Flamethrower

Adrexus
17th August 2011, 1:42 AM
As far as powerful pokemon I used, some of them were very useful and brought some great abilities to the battlefield.

Emboar was my first starter in White. This thing is very reliable. It doesn't outspeed a ton of pokemon, but since many Unova pokemon are slow, it was able to get a few hits in first, very reliable pokemon I must say.

Galvantula's attack stats aren't that impressive, but with compoundeyes+thunder+base 108 speed, it would always kill first before everything else had a chance. Although if it doesn't quite KO, it will spell trouble often enough.

Crustle with shell smash is good. I got one with shell armor though. Don't know why, I thought I would erase shell smash later. But this thing blows through teams if it gets one shell smash.

Samurott has just a few options to make it effective. With water, ice, bug and fighting moves it becomes a versatile threat. Not as powerful as Emboar, but it can often shine in battle.

Krookodile is good too because you can either get with moxie or intimidate. I personally prefer intimidate though. It makes it a little easier to survive physical attacks. STAB earthquake is always a plus.

Sawsbuck itself isn't too terribly strong, but it has horn leech which is a really great attack. Leech seed always helps too. And jump kick always allows it to cover certain threat as well.

So, yeah, those are probably the best pokemon I've used so far. Hopefully i'll get to use a lot more of them pretty soon to see how they all fare.

Paradoxe
17th August 2011, 4:28 AM
Is Ninjask a good pokemon for competitve use? Its speed has to make it a bit attractive.

Smogon considers it an Uber, so I'd give it a shot.

It's Attack isn't half bad either.

Edit: Wait this is 5th gen

unstopable373
17th August 2011, 5:52 AM
I used Emboar in my last walkthrough with a Lonely Nature and I don't think there is anything worse then a confused, lonely natured Emboar, especially if Swagger was used.

It usually did like 50 or 60 damage to itself routinely, thank godness for it's high HP.

Eterna
17th August 2011, 6:54 AM
I encountered a shiny Sandile the other day........I caught it but it's seriously ugly, I considered just killing it.

manifesto
17th August 2011, 7:21 AM
I encountered a shiny Sandile the other day........I caught it but it's seriously ugly, I considered just killing it.

Not nearly as ugly as shiny Krookodile. Whoever came up with this line's shinies really needs to be slapped.

thekorean
17th August 2011, 7:58 AM
Sharpedo has awesome offense but god awful defence, anyone try using it competitively?

arceus7
17th August 2011, 8:07 AM
^ its called speed boost+focus sash/lifeorb

basically all you can do is
focus sahs+speed boost+sword dance + hihidarumaish destruction
(this tends to get wrecked in sandstorm , hail and entry hazards
or protect, speed boost, protect again, then bam the heck out of whatever with a life orbed monster

do speed boost blazikens exist yet?

Shine
17th August 2011, 11:41 AM
do speed boost blazikens exist yet?

yes, but the only ones that are legit must have all three of these characteristics:

- Japanese
- comes from Entree Forest at lv 10, not hatched
- is male

Gelatini Jejunator
17th August 2011, 12:14 PM
yes, but the only ones that are legit must have all three of these characteristics:

- Japanese
- is male
They can have English names if evolved in an English game. Same for any other language.

Shine
17th August 2011, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that part.

The Pokedex would still register them as being Japanese, though.
So if you don't have Japanese entry yet for them, it's a good indicator.

elorasheppard
17th August 2011, 2:12 PM
Not nearly as ugly as shiny Krookodile. Whoever came up with this line's shinies really needs to be slapped.

Maybe they should have switched the shiny and non shinys around. The original Krookodile line sprites are awesome. Imagine if the giant red monstrosity was the shiny? Everyone would want one.

Meowth City
17th August 2011, 6:26 PM
Maybe they should have switched the shiny and non shinys around. The original Krookodile line sprites are awesome. Imagine if the giant red monstrosity was the shiny? Everyone would want one.
Urgh, I hate shiny Krookodile. Red is my favourite color and I despise brown, so imagine my disgust at what they did to the shiny form.

MetalFlygon08
17th August 2011, 6:49 PM
The Yellow over Black ruined it for me, like they didn't even test the pallet before saying done, or somthing got mixed.

General Nonsense
17th August 2011, 7:22 PM

But then people would be forced to look at its ugly real shiny sprite all the time D:

Aurath8
17th August 2011, 10:54 PM

- Japanese
- is male

Wait, the japanese have DW Hoenn starters? When were they released?

The Eleventh
17th August 2011, 10:58 PM
Wait, the japanese have DW Hoenn starters? When were they released?
20th November 2010. Quite a while ago.

Đew™
18th August 2011, 12:12 PM
Krookodile's shiny sprite looks like a person who put sunscreen on certain areas only...may be it was supposed to be a little more golden or something with colors actually resembling the non-shiny sprites of the rest of its line...

Nightdawn
18th August 2011, 12:38 PM
Krookodile is ok i guess, but the normal form is better. sometimes i wonder if they mixed the two up or something.

Valoo.
18th August 2011, 1:29 PM
The Sandile line probably has one of the worst shiny forms. It's horrible :S

Gigalith and Golurk are my personal favourite shinies of this Generation, really nice.

TheEpicGoomba
18th August 2011, 3:12 PM
The Sandile line probably has one of the worst shiny forms. It's horrible :S

Gigalith and Golurk are my personal favourite shinies of this Generation, really nice.

Yeah the Sandile lines Shinys are pretty bad. Especially Krookodile, I can't see it's eyes :/.

My favourites are proberly Emboar and Haxorus.

The Eleventh
18th August 2011, 3:15 PM
I really liked Gigalith's shiny sprite when I first saw it, but now I'm not such a fan. Golurk's sprite is amazing, though. I'm glad I'll eventually be able to get the Movie download of it.

My favourites are proberly Emboar and Haxorus.
I dislike Haxorus' shiny form, as it seems like too much of a Charizard rip-off. Black doesn't always correlate to "cool".

elorasheppard
18th August 2011, 3:30 PM
I really liked Gigalith's shiny sprite when I first saw it, but now I'm not such a fan. .

I love Gigalith's shiny sprite. When my shiny Boldore turned up, you knew it was shiny straight away! Thats a lot better than the ones like Emolga and Leafeon where you can barely see a difference. Id be afraid of not noticing it was shiny.

TheEpicGoomba
18th August 2011, 3:31 PM
I really liked Gigalith's shiny sprite when I first saw it, but now I'm not such a fan. Golurk's sprite is amazing, though. I'm glad I'll eventually be able to get the Movie download of it.

I dislike Haxorus' shiny form, as it seems like too much of a Charizard rip-off. Black doesn't always correlate to "cool".

I like it because Black is my favourite colour :P

I thought the Vanillite line Shinys should of been like Chocolate or Mint. The Shiny form it has is too plain and it's an Ice Cream for god sake. They had loads of alternative colours to give it for it's Shiny Form.

LexSuicune
18th August 2011, 7:00 PM
Haxorus' shiny form is rather badass, with the hot pink blades.

lmao

Adrexus
18th August 2011, 8:28 PM
I love Gigalith's shiny sprite. When my shiny Boldore turned up, you knew it was shiny straight away! Thats a lot better than the ones like Emolga and Leafeon where you can barely see a difference. Id be afraid of not noticing it was shiny.

Do you think that Gigalith's shiny form resembles crystals in a cave to some degree? Since it is a cave dwelling pokemon that's what helped me make the connection.

Also I think Vanillite/ish/uxe looks like a grape ice cream float to be honest.

Klinklang is one of my favorite shiny forms though. Especially since they're supposed to resemble copper gears. And Black Haxorus is pretty slick looking too I've got to admit.

Victory
18th August 2011, 8:31 PM
Do you think that Gigalith's shiny form resembles crystals in a cave to some degree? Since it is a cave dwelling pokemon that's what helped me make the connection.

Bolder dex entry: Because its energy was too great to be contained, the energy leaked and formed orange crystals.

Adrexus
18th August 2011, 8:48 PM
Well, this is the first time I have ever heard Boldore's pokedex entry (or at least paid attention to it) So I was not aware those were supposed to be crystals.

I noticed also that Chandelure's shiny form makes it look like a jack o lantern of sorts. I always thought it would be the perfect halloween pokemon. Especially with all the creepy pokedex entries about itself and its younger stages.

The Oncoming Storm
19th August 2011, 12:55 AM
I love my shiny boldore! I got it in the community Mistralton Cave hunt. It only took about 285 Re's too. I really need a shiny banner made. But yeah good shiny sprites this gen. Good sprites period really.

Zhanton
20th August 2011, 9:01 AM
I've never been a massive fan of shiny Pokemon, although I do quite like Whimsicott's shiny sprite.

http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/shiny/whimsicott.png

It's the colours that really do it for me. I just love that shade of light blue!

Đew™
20th August 2011, 1:29 PM
I've never been a massive fan of shiny Pokemon, although I do quite like Whimsicott's shiny sprite.

It's the colours that really do it for me. I just love that shade of light blue!

I actually don't mind it either. To me, other than the blue, it looks more like a cotton bud from farmville...seriously.

While boldore's shiny is great...gigalith's eye color along with the other colors looks rather nice. (240-something REs? You lucky dog.)

Valoo.
20th August 2011, 1:56 PM

Eh, I much prefer normal Whimsicott. A lot of normal sprites I prefer over shinies actually. I do love Golurk's though.

Endless
20th August 2011, 3:16 PM
I find it ironically that the Pokemon that i think have great shiny colors, usually have great normal colors to.
Sigilyph, Pawniard, Bisharp and Haxorus are all examples of pokemon that I think have great shiny sprites, but some of them have just as good normal sprites.
Other examples from other regions are Umbreon, Rayquaza, Flygon and Ledian.

The only pokemon where I really like the shiny color, while the normal is quite inferior, in 5th gen, is Heatmor.

arceus7
20th August 2011, 9:51 PM
are there any japanese sharpedo out with speed boost?

Endless
20th August 2011, 10:32 PM
You don't even need a Japanese one, if you got over 5000 points, you can find a Carvanha in the Sparkling Sea. We not try the question thread next time?

arceus7
20th August 2011, 11:56 PM
because the people I wanted an answer from was viewing the thread.

Anyway , switching the subject from shinies, I recently got annoyed with all the people accenting the DURRRRRRRRR on Con-keldur ( prononced like Keldoor)

KAHN-KELL-DOOR

Not CONKLE-----DURRRRRRRRRRrrr...............

or CONK-ELDER

KAHN-KELL-DOOR

Maschugna!

SasakiThePikachu
21st August 2011, 10:15 PM
because the people I wanted an answer from was viewing the thread.

Anyway , switching the subject from shinies, I recently got annoyed with all the people accenting the DURRRRRRRRR on Con-keldur ( prononced like Keldoor)

KAHN-KELL-DOOR

Not CONKLE-----DURRRRRRRRRRrrr...............

or CONK-ELDER

KAHN-KELL-DOOR

Maschugna!

Actually, I think you are supposed to emphasise the 'durr'. The reason it's there in the first place is from the word 'durr'/'duh', as in 'a bit thick', and I don't know many people who pronounce 'durr/duh' as 'door'.

As to shinies, the only one I've ever drooled over in terms of alternate colours is Charizard. I mean, it goes black. A black Charizard. That is just so freakin' cool. On the other hand, shiny Sigilyph looks like someone at GF took acid before they designed its colour scheme.

arceus7
21st August 2011, 10:23 PM
When you say Durr- the double OO has the same phonetic sound as saying DUR unless you stretch out the ur into URRRRR

MetalFlygon08
21st August 2011, 10:46 PM
but Door is pronounced doar isn't it?

I thought Conkledurr is Kahn-Kel-Dur, unless you pronounce Timburr and Gurdurr as Tim-boor and Gur-door.

The Eleventh
21st August 2011, 11:15 PM
I pronounce them like Tim-burr (as in "burrow"), Gurr-durr ("burrow" with a "d" sound) and Conkel-durr (same again).

R_N
22nd August 2011, 2:43 AM
conk-el-dur (I say it as a slightly stronger der)

although sometimes I also pronounce it con-kel-dur, but I believe the first is the "proper" way.

most people probably just droll out the dur because lol it ends in durrrr its retarded lol

Đew™
22nd August 2011, 4:19 AM
The pokemon wikia, which has a very accurate pronunciation of all the names of pokemon, says "cohnk-el-duhrr," which is what most of you are saying anyways.

thekorean
22nd August 2011, 5:51 AM
I love Weavile so so much, my favorite ice type along with Forslass.

Honestly, too bad it doesnt learn Ice Punch naturally. But I tutored a Sneasel in gen IV, transferred it over and evolved it, its sweet.

Moveset thus far

Sword Dance
Brick Break
Ice Punch
Night slash

So it covers Psychic, Ghost, Flying, Ground, Grass, Steel, Rock, Dark, Ice, Normal

covers A LOT to say the least.

arceus7
22nd August 2011, 8:36 PM
weavile, mamoswine,cloyster,lappras,kyurem abomanasnow,frosslass
best ice types competetively^

thekorean
22nd August 2011, 8:47 PM
Abomanasnow has too many weaknesses to be effective IMO.

Its weak to:
Fire (4x)
Steel
Fighting
Rock
Bug
Flying
Poison

Way too many.

Will-powered Spriter
22nd August 2011, 9:39 PM
Abomanasnow has too many weaknesses to be effective IMO.

Its weak to:
Fire (4x)
Steel
Fighting
Rock
Bug
Flying
Poison

Way too many.

The thing is though, Abomasnow and only Abomasnow is able to auto-induce infinate hail. This alone is enough for people to use it, despite it's flaws.

arceus7
22nd August 2011, 11:49 PM
The thing about abomanasnow is that its a horrible pokemon on paper but works really well in battle. Kinda like Archeops.

Abomanasnows main job is a weather counter anyway. hailk teams usually consist of a team with high synergy and there arent many ice types , working in hail is easy.

Valoo.
24th August 2011, 4:16 PM
Weavile is definitely my favourite Ice type. Awesome Stab, good desing, and nice Attack and Speed.

For the 5th Gen, my favourite would be Beartic. Good Attack, but slow with frail defenses.

TheEpicGoomba
24th August 2011, 4:21 PM
My favourite Ice types are Glalie, Mamoswine, Weavile and Vanilluxe. I used Glalie on my Platinum Playthrough and he was excellent. Mamoswine was great on another Platinum Playthrough aswell as HeartGold. Weavile was the first Dark type I used and he was great. He is Dark type too which is awesome. Vanilluxe is a very good Special Attacker and it's an Ice Cream.

CaptainCombusken
24th August 2011, 4:32 PM
Ice? Probabaly Mamoswine. Then Weavile.

Btw, thekorean, you forgot Dragon on your list of super-effectives. Ice>Dragon.

I pronounce it Con-kul-dur. (Con as in Con artist, Kul as in pull, and dur as in lure)

manifesto
24th August 2011, 4:35 PM
Well, judging from it's sprite...it's an old man. So wouldn't Conkeldurr pronounced like conk, (as in concrete) and eldurr (as in elder) make sense? I dunno, I don't see the problem. It's not like everyone's saying Reuniclus' name wrong... *cough*

CaptainCombusken
24th August 2011, 4:57 PM
Reh-you-nick-lus.

That's an easy one.

Gelatini Jejunator
24th August 2011, 5:18 PM
Reh-you-nick-lus.

That's an easy one.
Really? I thought it was pronounced 'Ree-you-nee-clus'?

arceus7
24th August 2011, 7:27 PM
I thought it was pronounced Rune-ni-clus

Enel
24th August 2011, 9:26 PM
Well, I recall they pronounced it Ree-you-nick-lus in the POTUSA music video, but don't quote me on it. Reuniclus is an adorable Psychic type, speaking of that. It has to be one of the cutest fully evolved Pokémon ever.

Walrein, Sneasel, Vanilluxe and Beartic happen to be my favourite Ice types. It's a shame Swift Swim Beartic is illegal right now.

KickAsh
24th August 2011, 9:32 PM
My favorite Ice types are Glalie, Weaville, Mamoswine, and Walrein.
My favorite Ice type from this gen is Croyogonal. I think its a really neat design from a cool concept.

The Eleventh
24th August 2011, 10:13 PM
It's not like everyone's saying Reuniclus' name wrong... *cough*
It's not that they're saying it wrong, they're spelling it wrong. I've seen so many variations, each one more implausible and crazier than the last.

I thought it was pronounced Rune-ni-clus
No.

thekorean
24th August 2011, 10:19 PM
I am running a Physical set Shiftry.

Seed Bomb
Brick Break
Faint Attack
Sword Dance

Covers a lot and takes advantage of moderately high attack stat.

Zhanton
25th August 2011, 8:58 AM
The thing about abomanasnow is that its a horrible pokemon on paper but works really well in battle. Kinda like Archeops.

Ehhh, not really. Taking a look at Archeops' stats and ability, you can straight away say that it's a glass cannon. And that's pretty true.

Abomanasnows main job is a weather counter anyway. hailk teams usually consist of a team with high synergy and there arent many ice types , working in hail is easy.
Hail team =/= mono-Ice team. Just putting that out there.

Rezzuréct
25th August 2011, 9:50 AM
My favorite Ice type is Cloyster, Weavile, Beartic..

They were awesome. I used Cloyster on my FR, Weavile on Platinum and Beartic on my Whire, they do awesome job to sweep all opponent

SasakiThePikachu
25th August 2011, 5:16 PM
Ree-yoo-nee/ni-clus. Not that difficult (says the girl who took months to learn its English name and insisted on calling it 'that alien in green goo').

Reuni as in reunited. Clus as in cluster. That's how I think of it o.O

I've never raised a Cloyster, but have secretly wanted to ever since beaing hammered by Lorelei's back in R/B/Y. What are they, more an attacker or a defender?

The Eleventh
25th August 2011, 5:53 PM
I've never raised a Cloyster, but have secretly wanted to ever since beaing hammered by Lorelei's back in R/B/Y. What are they, more an attacker or a defender?
An attacker. Skill Link is great with Cloyster, and it should always use Shell Smash. While Cloyster has good Defense, its Special Defense is terrible. It's also weak to common priority attacks, so stay clear of the defending route.

Valoo.
25th August 2011, 7:14 PM
Attacker. Skill Link + Shell Smash = Death to all.

And it took me ages to pronounce Reuniclus correctly :| I kept tripping over it.

streetlightdsb
25th August 2011, 8:28 PM
Agreed with SS and SS (heh). Cloyster used to be more of a defender despite the terrible SpDef, but now, with Icicle Spear's power being bumped to 25 for each spear- making effectively a drawback free 125 BP move with skill link, and the addition of Shell Smash, Cloyster is definitely an offensive force. When I first played 5th gen competitive, I swept so many scrubs with it.

Valoo.
25th August 2011, 10:23 PM
Agreed with SS and SS (heh).
We're also both Irish, both fourteen, both have usernames that start with an S adjective and end in our favourite Pokemon who's name begins with S and some other stuff ._.

Cloyster used to be more of a defender despite the terrible SpDef, but now, with Icicle Spear's power being bumped to 25 for each spear- making effectively a drawback free 125 BP move with skill link, and the addition of Shell Smash, Cloyster is definitely an offensive force. When I first played 5th gen competitive, I swept so many scrubs with it.
Shell Smash is an excellent move. I hope Torterra gets it via Move Tutor in Grey, along with some other Pokemon.

Missingno. Master
25th August 2011, 11:14 PM
Shell Smash is an excellent move. I hope Torterra gets it via Move Tutor in Grey, along with some other Pokemon.

Oh, dear lord, imagine if Shelgon gets Shell Smash?!

I'd like it if Blastoise, Torterra, and Samurott got Shell Smash, though.

The Eleventh
25th August 2011, 11:33 PM

Salamence and Shell Smash would be so broken. I hope more Pokémon get the move, such as those you listed, as it would open up a lot of opportunities for them.

Valoo.
26th August 2011, 12:16 AM
Oh christ.

Blastiose would be nice with it.

For Samurott, I don't really think it would suit. Shell Smash is more of an 'escape from your shell' thing. Pokemon like Crustle are encased in shells, and 'smash' them to gain speed. Samurott isn't encased in a shell, it just has an armor thing on it's head.

Palkia98
26th August 2011, 12:24 AM
shelgon+shell smash+ DD= hell

Ruby Blue
26th August 2011, 12:36 AM
Ree-yoo-nee/ni-clus. Not that difficult (says the girl who took months to learn its English name and insisted on calling it 'that alien in green goo').

Reuni as in reunited. Clus as in cluster. That's how I think of it o.O

In gen 5, it's definitely an attacker.

Shell Smash/Icicle Spear/Rock Blast/Surf is standard.

In past games it's more of a defensive/utility mon used for dispensing/spinning hazards.

Missingno. Master
26th August 2011, 12:38 AM
Yeah. If Salamence suddenly had access to the best stat boosting move in the game, basically giving it 2 DDs at once, plus Special Attack boosts to boot... Yipe.

That said, it would be interesting to see.

Also, a lot of people want Flareon to learn Flare Blitz. Until recently, I was one of them. See, Flareon's HP stat is rather pitiful, so coupled with its awesome Attack stat, not to mention STAB, the Flare Blitz recoil would build up rather quickly. Would make for a decent suicide Pokemon, though. But anyway, for sweeping purposes, what would make the most sense for Flareon AND be overall beneficial? Blaze Kick.

Valoo.
26th August 2011, 12:44 AM
Also, a lot of people want Flareon to learn Flare Blitz. Until recently, I was one of them. See, Flareon's HP stat is rather pitiful, so coupled with its awesome Attack stat, not to mention STAB, the Flare Blitz recoil would build up rather quickly. Would make for a decent suicide Pokemon, though. But anyway, for sweeping purposes, what would make the most sense for Flareon AND be overall beneficial? Blaze Kick.
Still, Flare Blitz would vastly improve it. And Blaze Kick would be odd :S I can't imagine a quadrupedal Pokemon kicking.

Missingno. Master
26th August 2011, 12:52 AM
Still, Flare Blitz would vastly improve it. And Blaze Kick would be odd :S I can't imagine a quadrupedal Pokemon kicking.

Note that Jolteon can learn Double Kick. And Blitzle. And Ponyta. And Nidoran (both genders). And Deerling. And the Musketeer Trio+Keldeo. And Growlithe, and Girafarig, and Stantler, and Shinx.

Stantler and Deerling also get Jump Kick.

Valoo.
26th August 2011, 12:57 AM
Note that Jolteon can learn Double Kick. And Blitzle. And Ponyta. And Nidoran (both genders). And Deerling. And the Musketeer Trio+Keldeo. And Growlithe, and Girafarig, and Stantler, and Shinx.

Stantler and Deerling also get Jump Kick.
I forgot about that :S Oh well, Blaze Kick would be good for Flareon then.

R_N
26th August 2011, 2:48 AM
I don't really expect Shell Smash to get too widespread on anyone you might consider useful. It, much like Quiver Dance, seems to be balanced by not being on anything that would become overtly powerful with it*.
Cloyster is one thing. Imagine someone like Blastoise, or Samurott.

*Volcorona is balanced by its typing, mostly

Missingno. Master
26th August 2011, 3:08 AM
Samurott at least needs Agility. Or SOME means of boosting its Speed. Hell, I was battling my cousin a few weeks back, and his Samurott used Agility. It was really his Zoroark, but the Agility didn't tip me off at all! It just seemed right, somehow, seeing a Samurott use Agility.

What I've been wanting, of course, is Gunk Shot on Weezing, though that I'm none too optimistic about. In fact, that is the ONLY reason I wanted a Gunk Shot tutor in Platinum, and Weezing couldn't learn Gunk Shot. Then came HG/SS. I got wind that Sunflora was now compatible with Earth Power, so I was hopeful that they would also make Weezing compatible with Gunk Shot. No such luck. Then came B/W. I was hopeful that among the heaps of old Pokemon getting old moves for the first time (such as Growlithe's Close Combat and Shellder's Twineedle), that Koffing would gain Gunk Shot as an egg move. Granted, I'm not too upset about it gaining Stockpile, but I would have liked to see Gunk Shot in there somewhere. I mean, it makes sense. In Gunk Shot's description, what does it say the user spews to attack? Filthy garbage. And what do Koffing and Weezing like to eat? Garbage! It makes sense, and Weezing has nothing to abuse its decent Attack stat with but Gyro Ball and Payback (and the Normal move of your choice), ever since Sludge Bomb went special.

What would be more practical for it, however, is a slightly wider selection of Psychic moves. Make it compatible with Calm Mind, Psychic, and Psyshock. It already gets Psywave and Psybeam, so why not? Plus, Calm Mind would boost Weezing's easily abusable Special Attack, and its desparately wanting Special Defense.

Oh, and Sludge Wave. Not sure how practical it would be, but it has more power than Sludge Bomb, if only by a little, and Weezing would get STAB on it. Plus, it's just such a cool move.

Đew™
26th August 2011, 3:45 AM
That's basically saying weezing would be barfing...not that there's a problem with it. It would be kinda funny to see the long term affects of it being used.

Sludge wave...is a poison surf, but with less coverage. Honestly, I've been wanting a special poison attack that has a higher BP than sludge bomb, and making it a surf copy doesn't hurt.

R_N
26th August 2011, 6:41 AM
That's basically saying weezing would be barfing...not that there's a problem with it. It would be kinda funny to see the long term affects of it being used.

Sludge wave...is a poison surf, but with less coverage. Honestly, I've been wanting a special poison attack that has a higher BP than sludge bomb, and making it a surf copy doesn't hurt.

Have you...ever seen Weezing attack? It does nothing but barf.

Certainly no weirder than, say, the implication that the Infernape line is throwing feces at the opponent.
But, really, weezing never got Gunk Shot?
I mean

really?

Enel
26th August 2011, 6:56 AM
Samurott at least needs Agility. Or SOME means of boosting its Speed. Hell, I was battling my cousin a few weeks back, and his Samurott used Agility. It was really his Zoroark, but the Agility didn't tip me off at all! It just seemed right, somehow, seeing a Samurott use Agility.

The problem with Samurott in my opinion is it doesn't have a decent Fighting type move, along with that lackluster speed. Close Combat would be perfect for him, or at least Brick Break. But all it gets is Rock Smash and Revenge.

CaptainCombusken
26th August 2011, 10:32 AM
The problem with Samurott in my opinion is it doesn't have a decent Fighting type move, along with that lackluster speed. Close Combat would be perfect for him, or at least Brick Break. But all it gets is Rock Smash and Revenge.

YES! A fighting move. Agility and any Fighting move of decent power. I reckon Cross Chop isn't a bad call. I mean, it already gets loads of slashing moves, and I've always thought cross chop was more of a slashing move.

Or, if Gamefreak are willing to get rid of signature moves really early, Sacred Sword.

Valoo.
26th August 2011, 1:31 PM
I don't think Samurott will get Sacred Sword :|

Cross Chop would be nice for him though, even if it's meant to be with fists. Heck, Brick Break would be nice for him.

Typhlosionvsworld
26th August 2011, 1:48 PM

Cross Chop would be nice for him though, even if it's meant to be with fists. Heck, Brick Break would be nice for him.

He should've had both from the beginning, honestly. He has that huge horn, so why can't he break bricks? Plus, his prevos use shells to chop things. Cross Chop makes sense for them.

Missingno. Master
26th August 2011, 3:24 PM

Yeah, Samurott basically has zero chance of getting Sacred Sword, no matter how much sense it would make for it. I can't believe it doesn't get Brick Break, though!

Snowyarticuno: My thoughts exactly. Weezing getting Gunk Shot would be no weirder than Infernape, Ambipom, or Primeape getting it.

Nibbles4Ever
26th August 2011, 7:23 PM
Out of all the new pokemon I love using galvantula and krookidile the most. They are really strong and galvantula with compound eyes and thunder is a great combination ^^

Đew™
26th August 2011, 8:02 PM
The only decent fighting move the otter has is revenge. It actually hurts its average speed.

As I've said before, it should have been a water/fighting type. It is warrior like (dewott looks unhappy that its line isn't fighting) and almost moves that way. But no...emboar looks meaner and GF likes to abuse the fire/fighting starters. Seriously, emboar could have been, I don't know...a pure fire type, or maybe a fire/steel (it kinda looks like a torch...). It couldn't be because they didn't want to overuse a type combination since normal flying is spread between 5 5th gen pokemon. Maybe if samurott was a fighting type, it would be more focused on attack and get STAB close combat. That would be nice.

arceus7
26th August 2011, 9:08 PM
yeah. ._. poor samurott

The Eleventh
26th August 2011, 11:57 PM
Escavalier or Accelgor?

I haven't used either of the two, nor am I too familiar with them. I'll have to go with Escavalier, though, for its secondary-typing and Attack. I also prefer its knight-based theme.

Valoo.
27th August 2011, 12:09 AM
Escavalier, definitely. It has awesome Attack and Defense, and a good movepool. Plus good typing and an excellent design. The Roman plume on it's head is nice, as is the knight theme.

Drummerdude
27th August 2011, 12:10 AM
I prefer Escavalier. I really like its design and when I used it ingame it was one of the best Pokemon on my team.

Enel
27th August 2011, 5:53 AM
I'll be the first to say Accelgor. I've yet to use either of them, but Alder's Accelgor actually gives me a challenge sometimes, so I'd love to raise one. Man, there's so many Bug/Steel type Pokémon out there now.

Đew™
27th August 2011, 6:00 AM
I love tanks...and escavalier is no different. Accelgor...is ninjask without the speed boost and physical attacks, and the exact opposite of escavalier...definitely has yet to impress me.

R_N
27th August 2011, 6:13 AM
The only decent fighting move the otter has is revenge. It actually hurts its average speed.

As I've said before, it should have been a water/fighting type. It is warrior like (dewott looks unhappy that its line isn't fighting) and almost moves that way. But no...emboar looks meaner and GF likes to abuse the fire/fighting starters. Seriously, emboar could have been, I don't know...a pure fire type, or maybe a fire/steel (it kinda looks like a torch...). It couldn't be because they didn't want to overuse a type combination since normal flying is spread between 5 5th gen pokemon. Maybe if samurott was a fighting type, it would be more focused on attack and get STAB close combat. That would be nice.

Gamefreak does not seem to consider Pokemon that use actual sword implements the "Fighting" type. The Musketeers & Gallade may use sword-like impliments, but they are decidedly part of their body and is much more akin to hand-to-hand physical fighting.

Emboar likely got the Fighting type for being based off a Journey to the West character (I believe there was a kappa in there, so maybe next gen)

He should've had both from the beginning, honestly. He has that huge horn, so why can't he break bricks? Plus, his prevos use shells to chop things. Cross Chop makes sense for them.

He technically has 2 really huge swords (presumably what he uses for X-Scissor), too so that makes twice as much sense!

Also may as well get Counter.

BIGJRA
27th August 2011, 6:14 AM
Accelgor looks cooler. But i never have or will use them as long as they are a pain to get in game.

manifesto
27th August 2011, 7:05 AM
I used Escavalier, it was a cool Pokemon. I like Accelgor better though. Just seems more useful and interesting since Escavalier is just another bulky attacker at this point IMO.

RaichuArcanine
27th August 2011, 4:21 PM
I never used either of them in my main game team, although Accelgor is way better than Escavalier.

~RaichuArcanine~

JD
27th August 2011, 9:30 PM
I prefer Escavalier it just has a overall cooler design... but it needs Gyro Ball like a fat kid needs cake.

Arcamenel
29th August 2011, 8:48 PM
I just got back into playing and have been wanting to raise a scraggy for awhile so I'm doing that now. I think the anime has really made me fall in love with it. I plan to take out mienshao for it as far as my main team goes.

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
30th August 2011, 7:41 PM
YES. Escavalier NEEDS Gyro Ball. It's so slow and has a dreadful movepool. It needs that and possibly Brick Break.

ViperQueen
30th August 2011, 8:57 PM
Had anyone else meet the girl who vanishes on the bridge? (forgot what its called, but its the bridge before you enter White Forest or Black City)

At first I keep thinking it was Gothitelle and then Zoroark, but now I see it as just a misty allusion lol

BCVM22
30th August 2011, 9:17 PM
It's been noted. There's a 72% chance she's a ghost.

Dr. Leggs
31st August 2011, 2:50 AM
I used Escavalier in my first playthrough, but I really like them both so I have a hard time choosing one or the other.

Jb
31st August 2011, 3:58 AM
I can't say I really like either, the speed issue really got to me.

JD
31st August 2011, 4:37 AM
I wish Samurott would have gotten Earthquake or at least Brick Break its shame it didn't get either of those moves, on another note Close Combat would be great on Emboar.

Pokechan
1st September 2011, 12:06 AM
How is Jellicent and Carracosta compared to Samurott? Jellicent has the water/ghost typing and defences while Carracosta has shell smash with solid rock/study. Samurott has barely anything going for it.

Zhanton
1st September 2011, 12:17 PM
Samurott's pretty versatile in the fact that it has the ability to go Mixed, purely Physical or purely Special. Having said that it's movepool isn't hugely amazing, but it's decent, and it's a good all-rounder especially considering how early you get it.

Jellicent serves a different niche; although it's fine for sweeping, I think it's typing, abilities and stats are better suited out to walling or tanking, as in being able to take lots of hits and dish out some damage as well as some status. Carracosta's got the ability to Shell Smash and then sweep, or use Curse and sweep, and although it's movepool isn't amazing it has access to some handy moves including Aqua Jet and QuakeEdge.

Đew™
1st September 2011, 4:52 PM
Samurott's pretty versatile in the fact that it has the ability to go Mixed, purely Physical or purely Special. Having said that it's movepool isn't hugely amazing, but it's decent, and it's a good all-rounder especially considering how early you get it.

Jellicent serves a different niche; although it's fine for sweeping, I think it's typing, abilities and stats are better suited out to walling or tanking, as in being able to take lots of hits and dish out some damage as well as some status. Carracosta's got the ability to Shell Smash and then sweep, or use Curse and sweep, and although it's movepool isn't amazing it has access to some handy moves including Aqua Jet and QuakeEdge.

Its (jellicent's) abilities indicate a wall, although cursed body could be a tanking ability. Carracosta, on the other hand, is a tank...solid rock puts it up there with rhyperior (its superior in solid rock tanking) and sturdy seems to be given to a lot of other tanks like gigalith and steelix.

All in all, they're 2 of 3 of my new favorite water types. I chanced to get a calm jelli and SRed for an impish, solid rock carracosta.

Bsugarhigh
1st September 2011, 8:17 PM
Carracosta Special Defense and Special Attack trained is crazy good. Samurott is faster then most people think so i dont know about tanking id probably go speed.

The Eleventh
1st September 2011, 9:08 PM
Carracosta Special Defense and Special Attack trained is crazy good. Samurott is faster then most people think so i dont know about tanking id probably go speed.
It'd be a lot better to EV train Carracosta in Attack than Special Attack.

Aurath8
1st September 2011, 9:21 PM
How is Jellicent and Carracosta compared to Samurott? Jellicent has the water/ghost typing and defences while Carracosta has shell smash with solid rock/study. Samurott has barely anything going for it.

Samurott has Swords Dance meaning he can boost much quicker than other Water types and doesn't lose Defence like Carracosta's Shell Smash. It's also probably the best Water type at mixed sets this generation, since Seismitoad lacks Ice Beam.

Zhanton
2nd September 2011, 1:29 PM
Carracosta, on the other hand, is a tank...solid rock puts it up there with rhyperior (its superior in solid rock tanking) and sturdy seems to be given to a lot of other tanks like gigalith and steelix.

Of course, Carracosta also has a pretty decent attacking movepool in Curse, Shell Smash, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Rock Slide and the ability Sturdy which guarantees a Shell Smash.

Typhlosionvsworld
2nd September 2011, 5:23 PM
Speaking of bulky rock types, eviolite Adamant Rhydon can kill on a tr team. Its one of the best evioliters.

XXD17
2nd September 2011, 11:52 PM
Its (jellicent's) abilities indicate a wall, although cursed body could be a tanking ability. Carracosta, on the other hand, is a tank...solid rock puts it up there with rhyperior (its superior in solid rock tanking) and sturdy seems to be given to a lot of other tanks like gigalith and steelix.

All in all, they're 2 of 3 of my new favorite water types. I chanced to get a calm jelli and SRed for an impish, solid rock carracosta.

Jellicent is definitely a wall/ tank...carracosta, I can't see as a tank due to its abysmal speed and SD as well as it's huge grass weakness (which solid rock can't even save it from) I see it more as a sturdy-shell smash sweeper...not a great one but can be decent if you get a jolly one with maxed speed...

Samurott has Swords Dance meaning he can boost much quicker than other Water types and doesn't lose Defence like Carracosta's Shell Smash. It's also probably the best Water type at mixed sets this generation, since Seismitoad lacks Ice Beam.

samurott's not fast enough, have high enough base attack nor are it's defenses high enough to protect it...if the SD is predicted, the opponent can switch in a faster super-effective poke while you are dancing and OHKO samurott the next turn...prime examples being serp or sceptile, or even galvantula...even after a boost, aqua jet isn't going to 1HKO any of them...even with max attack...as for carracosta, it already has massive attack and with a shell smash, it gains speed as well...the defense drop is negligible considering that carracosta is being used as a sweeper in this regard...and then there's always white herb to solve the problem...

arceus7
4th September 2011, 6:42 PM
Grass types arent exactly all that usefull since grass is as bad of a type as poison .

rocky505
4th September 2011, 10:37 PM
Grass types arent exactly all that usefull since grass is as bad of a type as poison . No it's not. But most of the grass types in 5th gen are god awful IMO. The only useful ones I've used are Sawsbuck, Whimsicott, Virizion and simisage. The rest have god awful movepools and have no diversity at all.

Seem
4th September 2011, 11:06 PM
No it's not. But most of the grass types in 5th gen are god awful IMO. The only useful ones I've used are Sawsbuck, Whimsicott, Virizion and simisage. The rest have god awful movepools and have no diversity at all.

Lilligant and Leavanny were rather useful when I used them.

Serperior and Amoonguss on the other hand were pretty awful.

rocky505
5th September 2011, 12:39 AM

Serperior and Amoonguss on the other hand were pretty awful. I forgot Leavanny i used it and it was pretty good. Lilligant sucks to me though. It only has grass type moves to rely on unless you spend days and hours trying to get a good HP on it.

Dr. Leggs
5th September 2011, 7:12 AM
I gotta say though, Maractus totally makes up for not being amazing by being adorable and cool. Also spontaneous Acupressure sweeps are rad.

Aurath8
5th September 2011, 12:33 PM
No it's not. But most of the grass types in 5th gen are god awful IMO. The only useful ones I've used are Sawsbuck, Whimsicott, Virizion and simisage. The rest have god awful movepools and have no diversity at all.

Ferrothorn... just Ferrothorn.

But still, including Lilligant and Leavanny who are pretty good with their respective boosting moves, the majority of Unova Grass types are pretty useful.

OshyHikari
6th September 2011, 9:17 AM
I prefer Escavalier it just has a overall cooler design... but it needs Gyro Ball like a fat kid needs cake.

Yeah, the only Steel move Excadrill learns is Metal Claw.

Zhanton
6th September 2011, 2:07 PM
I forgot Leavanny i used it and it was pretty good. Lilligant sucks to me though. It only has grass type moves to rely on unless you spend days and hours trying to get a good HP on it.

Lilligant is pretty good at what it does, though. Sure, it doesn't have access to a wide spectrum of moves, but it has access to Quiver Dance, as well as the Petal Dance + Own Tempo combination, which when combined with Quiver Dance and Sleep Powder can be quite a potent threat. My Lilligant was definitely a powerhouse of my team.

Serperior and Amoonguss on the other hand were pretty awful.

Amoonguss serves a nice niche in that it is one of the few Spore users, and it's a pretty bulky Pokemon with a good support movepool including Clear Smog. Plus, if I recall correctly, it has access to Regenerator which further adds to its bulkiness. (Although I may be mistaken; Regenerator might be a DW ability)

Valoo.
6th September 2011, 7:39 PM
Grass types arent exactly all that usefull since grass is as bad of a type as poison .
...What?

Ferrothorn, Sceptile, Whimsicott? Those, among others, are good Grass types. Grass isn't a totally useless type. A lot of Grass types are good.

Ferrothorn, Lilligant and Leavanny are good. Leavanny has great Attack, and a good movepool. It's let down by it's typing. Lilligant has a horrid movepool, but Quiver Dance, Petal Dance, and Own Tempo work great together. Ferrothorn is an amazing wall, and is alright at attacking too. Amoonguss is awful, though.

CaptainCombusken
6th September 2011, 7:51 PM
I really dislike Grass types. Loads of weaknesses, and often very uninteresting movepools. Out of 5th Gen, I would say that Sawsbuck, Whimsicott and Virizion are any good. The rest are, though useful and good under certain circumstances, really dull.

Grass types main moves are Status moves. Let's face it. I'm a really offensive player in my battle style and unless if the Pokemon uses these Status moves to then attack (Such as Sporeloom with Swords dance), then I tend to not use it. Walls aren't really my cup of tea.

But, I'll report back to you when I've finished Project Unova (my goal to get every Unova Pokemon bar legendaries at level 50 minimum having used it in a playthrough from when it's available for capture until at least the battle with Ghetis.) That'll definitely show me who is decent and who is trash (no offence meant Trubbish and Garbodor).

rocky505
6th September 2011, 11:44 PM
...What?

Ferrothorn, Sceptile, Whimsicott? Those, among others, are good Grass types. Grass isn't a totally useless type. A lot of Grass types are good.

Ferrothorn, Lilligant and Leavanny are good. Leavanny has great Attack, and a good movepool. It's let down by it's typing. Lilligant has a horrid movepool, but Quiver Dance, Petal Dance, and Own Tempo work great together. Ferrothorn is an amazing wall, and is alright at attacking too. Amoonguss is awful, though.

Someone obviously doesn't know how to read all posts. I said leavanny was good. I don't care what anyone says Lilligant sucks. Ferrothorn isn't that great in game to me.

^^Yoshinichi^^
6th September 2011, 11:50 PM
I really hate how they gave 100% genders to Pokémon who didn't need them. I mean, Braviary looks like it could be male or female, and same with Mandibuzz. You could make an argument with Mandibuzz, but it's not that feminine. Poor Braviary doesn't get any Egg Moves.

R_N
7th September 2011, 12:20 AM
Someone obviously doesn't know how to read all posts. I said leavanny was good. I don't care what anyone says Lilligant sucks. Ferrothorn isn't that great in game to me.

Are you still going on about her shallow movepool
I remember that being your biggest sticking point despite us basically yelling it was fine.

arceus7
7th September 2011, 2:25 AM
:| Lilligant is basically a specially oriented serperior( with sub par speed) and a slightly better move pool.

Coil>Quiver dance

Either way they dont survive in competetive play because they get mauled to death by fire, Flying(most things have Aerial Ace) and everything with Ice beam on it.

Thats why Aboma has a type combo worse than poison, the two weakest defensive types ever.

poison types should just be bulky defenders by the way
\

thekorean
7th September 2011, 3:36 AM
I am training my Heracross right now.

Brick Break
Megahorn
Stone Edge
Sword Dance

I chose not to go with Close Combat because it decreases the defense. Its not worth it.

arceus7
7th September 2011, 6:12 PM
use herracross like a darmanitan.

Aurath8
7th September 2011, 6:57 PM
I am training my Heracross right now.

Brick Break
Megahorn
Stone Edge
Sword Dance

I chose not to go with Close Combat because it decreases the defense. Its not worth it.
For help on movesets go here. (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=513365&page=33)

use herracross like a darmanitan.

They have nothing in common, apart from being physical sweepers. Where did you draw any similarities.

:| Lilligant is basically a specially oriented serperior( with sub par speed) and a slightly better move pool.

Except that Lilligant is much more powerful. And can sweep with one Quiver Dance potentially. And that Serperior is never played offensively unless it has Contrary.

Coil < Quiver dance

Decided to fix that for you. But seriously, Serperior doesn't gain anything from the accuracy boost(except various status moves), while Quiver Dance boosts both an offensive stat and speed. Apart from Shell Smash and maybe Tail Glow, Quiver Dance is one of the best boosting moves out there. It's currently only distributed to a tiny number of Bug types and Lilligant but it rivals the likes of Dragon Dance in terms of versatility and the extra potential it gives the user to sweep.

Valoo.
7th September 2011, 9:12 PM
I don't care what anyone says Lilligant sucks.
So, ignore what points everyone says? :|

Lilligant is an amazing sweeper. Quiver Dance, Own Tempo and Petal Dance is excellent. Use Quiver Dance once or twice, and you sweep.

arceus7
7th September 2011, 9:26 PM
Actually serperior gets to abuse iron tail.

CaptainCombusken
7th September 2011, 9:41 PM
Yes, but really. Iron Tail? That literally only deals with ice types. It only has Aerial Ace to rid itself of Bugs, Pursuit which isn't that great and Dragon Tail for Phazing/Twsiter for a very weak dragon SE. Other than those moves, all it can offer is STABs and Wring Out. Oh, and if you're lucky to get a good type, Hidden Power.

I think the thing I hate in a Pokemon is a bad movepool. Even if a Pokemon had mediocre stats but a thoroughly diverse movepool, I'd still prefer using that to a Pokemon with fantastic attack/special attack and speed but woeful movepool. Ingame, at least. Ingame, Pokemon are very different to competitively. Ingame, there's very little point of using walls or defensive Pokemon. The multiple battles on routes mean their health gets whittled away far too fast. Therefore, a Pokemon able to either incapacitate the opponent or attack is the favoured option.

Let's face it. Just as Cricket is a Batsman's game, Pokemon is an attacker's game.

Valoo.
7th September 2011, 9:57 PM
I know what you mean. Ferrothorn is amazing competitively, but not as good in-game, since it's mainly a Defensive Pokemon. I tried to use an Umbreon in SS, but I couldn't work to well with it. I much prefer attacking in-game, as do most people, and Uumbreon is defensive.

WishIhadaManafi5
7th September 2011, 10:11 PM
Yes, but really. Iron Tail? That literally only deals with ice types. It only has Aerial Ace to rid itself of Bugs, Pursuit which isn't that great and Dragon Tail for Phazing/Twsiter for a very weak dragon SE. Other than those moves, all it can offer is STABs and Wring Out. Oh, and if you're lucky to get a good type, Hidden Power.

I think the thing I hate in a Pokemon is a bad movepool. Even if a Pokemon had mediocre stats but a thoroughly diverse movepool, I'd still prefer using that to a Pokemon with fantastic attack/special attack and speed but woeful movepool. Ingame, at least. Ingame, Pokemon are very different to competitively. Ingame, there's very little point of using walls or defensive Pokemon. The multiple battles on routes mean their health gets whittled away far too fast. Therefore, a Pokemon able to either incapacitate the opponent or attack is the favoured option.

Let's face it. Just as Cricket is a Batsman's game, Pokemon is an attacker's game.

I like Iron Tail ok, it also works against rock types pretty well.

Not totally. I went on the defensive recently in order to get my first badge in Black version. The gym leader ended up not using the move that helped to flatten my team before :). Worked nicely.

It generally is, depending on the situation. There are times, like the one example that I used above, in which the best offense was a good defense, as in using tail whip and other similar moves, so the attacks would be more effective.

Overall though, I tend to be more of an attack based battler myself... but I'm learning to use defense as well as offense, since you can never know when it'll come in handy battle wise.

rocky505
7th September 2011, 10:57 PM
Lilligant is an amazing sweeper. Quiver Dance, Own Tempo and Petal Dance is excellent. Use Quiver Dance once or twice, and you sweep. The only things it will be able to sweep are Rock, Ground, Water types and neutral ones. It needs more than just petal dance to sweep. If it would've gotten moves like Shadow Ball or Psychic I would like it(I do not see how Whimsicott got Shadow Ball and Lilligant didn't). To me if the Pokemon has a god awful diversity than it sucks. PD+QD+ Own Tempo will not save you from everything. There are things that will make Lilligant look like nothing.

XXD17
8th September 2011, 7:06 AM
The only things it will be able to sweep are Rock, Ground, Water types and neutral ones. It needs more than just petal dance to sweep. If it would've gotten moves like Shadow Ball or Psychic I would like it(I do not see how Whimsicott got Shadow Ball and Lilligant didn't). To me if the Pokemon has a god awful diversity than it sucks. PD+QD+ Own Tempo will not save you from everything. There are things that will make Lilligant look like nothing.

...like sawsbuck or bouffalant...and why is serperior still getting so much hate? it's an awesome physical wall/ possible sweeper with coil and an awesome special sweeper with contrary...just cause it lacks move diversity doesn't mean it's bad...I mean ferrothorn is probably the most used pokemon as of yet and it's attacking pool isn't great...heck most people only put one or two attacks on it...

streetlightdsb
8th September 2011, 11:00 AM
I know what you mean. Ferrothorn is amazing competitively, but not as good in-game, since it's mainly a Defensive Pokemon.

I disagree; I see Ferrothorn as an exception to the "don't use defensive 'mons ingame" rule. It has a pretty decent Attack stat, and can take a ridiculous amount of hits, as long as you don't stay in on Fire types. Just give it Curse/Gyro Ball/Power Whip/filler and you're pretty much good to go! Mine was my go to guy on my most recent playthrough.

Valoo.
8th September 2011, 9:33 PM
I disagree; I see Ferrothorn as an exception to the "don't use defensive 'mons ingame" rule. It has a pretty decent Attack stat, and can take a ridiculous amount of hits, as long as you don't stay in on Fire types. Just give it Curse/Gyro Ball/Power Whip/filler and you're pretty much good to go! Mine was my go to guy on my most recent playthrough.
I meant it's not as good in-game as it is competitively. Ferrothron is amazing competitively, but not as amazing in-game. I'm sure it's great for use in-game, but it still shines better competitively.

rocky505
8th September 2011, 11:08 PM
...like sawsbuck or bouffalant...and why is serperior still getting so much hate? it's an awesome physical wall/ possible sweeper with coil and an awesome special sweeper with contrary...just cause it lacks move diversity doesn't mean it's bad...I mean ferrothorn is probably the most used pokemon as of yet and it's attacking pool isn't great...heck most people only put one or two attacks on it... That is way Serperior is getting hate because it learns hardly anything. It only learns grass and normal moves by level up which is pretty embarrassing. It learns moves of other types by TM but they are mostly weak moves. I wouldn't say anything about contrary since it is not even out yet, but there will be ways for people to make it completely useless. Yeah people put 1 or 2 moves on ferrothorn because it is meant to put up spikes and seeds not go all out with everything you got.

XXD17
9th September 2011, 1:25 AM
That is way Serperior is getting hate because it learns hardly anything. It only learns grass and normal moves by level up which is pretty embarrassing. It learns moves of other types by TM but they are mostly weak moves. I wouldn't say anything about contrary since it is not even out yet, but there will be ways for people to make it completely useless. Yeah people put 1 or 2 moves on ferrothorn because it is meant to put up spikes and seeds not go all out with everything you got.

...you mean like how wall serps are meant to coil, dragon tail, and leech seed? I still don't see how it's "so bad" just because it has a bad movepool...it's basically a physical suicune only faster with nonlegendary stats...as fir contrary, it will only be useless if a gastro acid is used or if sap sippers come in...sap sippers are easy to deal with...thanks to d-tail or hidden power fire...I'm not saying serp is the best thing ever but everyone has been treating it like it's the worst thing ever which it definitely isn't...

rocky505
9th September 2011, 2:33 PM
...you mean like how wall serps are meant to coil, dragon tail, and leech seed? I still don't see how it's "so bad" just because it has a bad movepool...it's basically a physical suicune only faster with nonlegendary stats...as fir contrary, it will only be useless if a gastro acid is used or if sap sippers come in...sap sippers are easy to deal with...thanks to d-tail or hidden power fire...I'm not saying serp is the best thing ever but everyone has been treating it like it's the worst thing ever which it definitely isn't... It's the worst starter we've gotten(To me at least). I am using a meganium in HG now and it is a heck of a lot better than my serperior I tried using. Meganium actually gets moves, Serperior doesn't. If Serperior would've just got EQ I would've been fine with it.

XXD17
9th September 2011, 5:06 PM
It's the worst starter we've gotten(To me at least). I am using a meganium in HG now and it is a heck of a lot better than my serperior I tried using. Meganium actually gets moves, Serperior doesn't. If Serperior would've just got EQ I would've been fine with it.

I really can't see serp as the worst starter...sure it might not be the best INGAME but it definitely trumps the likes of meganium, samurott, emboar, torterra, and blastoise competitively...and let me reiterate, more moves =/= better pokemon...look at exploud, kecleon, castform, octillery, audino, and wigglytuff just to name a few where their movepools are through the roof but are not that great competitively...sure any trained pokemon can beat any non-EV'd pokemon ingame but on a level playing field is where the true strength of a pokemon is measured...

Bsugarhigh
9th September 2011, 5:12 PM
Serperior EV trained in speed and special attack an sweep just about anything. its a solid upgrasde from Meganium. :497:

Aurath8
9th September 2011, 8:18 PM
Serperior EV trained in speed and special attack an sweep just about anything. its a solid upgrasde from Meganium. :497:

That's in-game, where EV training outside of the Battle Subway is just overkill since almost all opponents use only levelup moves and aren't EV trained either. Also, most of the time, you choose when to use each pokemon meaning you can always give yourself an advantage.
My point is, almost any pokemon with half-decent offences and good moves can do well in-game when EV trained.

XXD17
9th September 2011, 10:30 PM
That's in-game, where EV training outside of the Battle Subway is just overkill since almost all opponents use only levelup moves and aren't EV trained either. Also, most of the time, you choose when to use each pokemon meaning you can always give yourself an advantage.
My point is, almost any pokemon with half-decent offences and good moves can do well in-game when EV trained.

I'm pretty sure he meant competitively since serperior is pretty bad ingame considering the only kind out now is a wall and walls kind of suck ingame...competitively is where serp really shines especially when contrary comes out...

rocky505
9th September 2011, 10:40 PM
I really can't see serp as the worst starter...sure it might not be the best INGAME but it definitely trumps the likes of meganium, samurott, emboar, torterra, and blastoise competitively...and let me reiterate, more moves =/= better pokemon...look at exploud, kecleon, castform, octillery, audino, and wigglytuff just to name a few where their movepools are through the roof but are not that great competitively...sure any trained pokemon can beat any non-EV'd pokemon ingame but on a level playing field is where the true strength of a pokemon is measured... I was never talking competitive at all. Serperior is defiantly the worst starter movepool wise. Most of those pokemon you listed are good in game in a certain way. Exploud is a good early normal type in RSE. Kecleon helps see what your pokemon's HP type is. Octillery hits hard with it's spatk. Audino is very good for leveling up. Wigglytuff is a great pokemon, high HP and access to body slam for parahax yes please. All 5 of those final evo's for starters you listed are a heck of a lot better than Serperior.

XXD17
9th September 2011, 10:46 PM
I was never talking competitive at all. Serperior is defiantly the worst starter movepool wise. Most of those pokemon you listed are good in game in a certain way. Exploud is a good early normal type in RSE. Kecleon helps see what your pokemon's HP type is. Octillery hits hard with it's spatk. Audino is very good for leveling up. Wigglytuff is a great pokemon, high HP and access to body slam for parahax yes please. All 5 of those final evo's for starters you listed are a heck of a lot better than Serperior.

as I ALSO stated, a pokemon's true power isn't demonstrated ingame considering you are up against pokemon that haven't been properly trained meaning any halfa**ed pokemon can do well...competitively or in the battle facilities, the playing field is more even where fully trained pokemon face off against other fully trained pokemon...sure your meganium might be able to KO a feraligatr ingame but when facing an actual trained feraligtr, it stands no chance...considering the feraligatr has been maxed in the right stats and has the right moves that is...sure octillery has great SA but it's not fast enough to even get to use it...kecleon and exploud are also too slow and can't hit hard enough or live much..wigglytuff's great HP will not help it live a wall-ghost's will-o-wisp...that's why ingame experiences are not a good way to judge a pokemon's battling abilities...

rocky505
9th September 2011, 10:51 PM
as I ALSO stated, a pokemon's true power isn't demonstrated ingame considering you are up against pokemon that haven't been properly trained meaning any halfa**ed pokemon can do well...competitively or in the battle facilities, the playing field is more even where fully trained pokemon face off against other fully trained pokemon...sure your meganium might be able to KO a feraligatr ingame but when facing an actual trained feraligtr, it stands no chance...considering the feraligatr has been maxed in the right stats and has the right moves that is...that's why ingame experiences are not a good way to judge a pokemon's battling abilities... I never said anything about competitive battling at all and you just randomly bring it up. Serperior sucks to me get over it. And an ev trained Feraligatr would not beat an ev trained Meganium. It might if it uses DD since Meganium outspeeds Feraligatr by 2 points.

Victory
9th September 2011, 10:54 PM
So what does everyone think about Azumarill? It is cute and kinda good :3

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th September 2011, 2:06 AM
I think this thread is about the Unova Pokemon

XXD17
10th September 2011, 7:12 AM
I never said anything about competitive battling at all and you just randomly bring it up. Serperior sucks to me get over it. And an ev trained Feraligatr would not beat an ev trained Meganium. It might if it uses DD since Meganium outspeeds Feraligatr by 2 points.

then you can't really say that serp sucks without actually considering its worth...as for the feraligatr, it can take any commonly used grass move, d-dance, sheer force boosted ice punch equals OHKO on meganium...

Đew™
10th September 2011, 9:34 AM
Serperior's true worth has yet to be revealled, seeing as DW snivy has yet to be released. It's only been out here in America for 6 months, it has potential.

As for meganium...that thing has gained little momentum. Period. 4th gen move tutors were the best thing to happen to it, and even then, the number of things gained was limited.

ViperQueen
10th September 2011, 10:06 AM
So what does everyone think about Azumarill? It is cute and kinda good :3

I think its kinda good too lol
With its Huge power ability it can be deadly

@ElectAdd- I don't think its only Unova pokemon that can be discussed, but the whole generations all the way up to and including the 5th gen.

RaichuArcanine
10th September 2011, 11:02 AM
I really like Azumarill. It's got a fairly good move pool, and can make good use of Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Brick Break, Superpower, Iron Tail, Return, Bulldoze and Ice Punch. Or, if you want to be different and make a special Azumarill you have Surf, Ice Beam, Scald, Hidden Power, Grass Knot, Focus Blast, Hydro Pump and Blizzard. A set like this would be good for physical:

Azumarill@Life Orb/Muscle Band/Choice Band
Huge Power
Waterfall/Aqua Jet
Bulldoze
Ice Punch
Brick Break/Superpower
Nature:Adamant/Jolly
EV's:252atk/252speed/6hp
and for special:

Azumarill@Choice Specs/Wise Glasses/Life Orb
Thick Fat/Sap Sipper(if you can get it through the Dream World)
Surf/Scald/Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot/Hidden Power[electric]
Focus Blast
Nature:Modest/Timid
EV'S:252speed/252spatk/6hp.
Azumarill is also quite cute, I'm thinking of using it in my current Crystal play through.

Valoo.
10th September 2011, 3:10 PM
@ElectAdd- I don't think its only Unova pokemon that can be discussed, but the whole generations all the way up to and including the 5th gen.
Well it's in the 5th Generation forum, and it's to discuss the new Pokemon. I don't think there's any rule against talking about Azumarril, but it wouldn't really make any sense.

TheEpicGoomba
10th September 2011, 3:14 PM
Azumarill is quite good. Especially it's Ability and it can learn a Wide Range of moves which Huge Power can support. I was very impressed when I used it in Emerald.

BlazingCold
10th September 2011, 6:13 PM
The only reason Azumarill is good is because he has Huge Power. Could be used in the metagame too.

Valoo.
10th September 2011, 7:09 PM
The only reason Azumarill is good is because he has Huge Power. Could be used in the metagame too.
Well...yes, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Every Pokemon has a reason it's good, it's not unique to Azumarill.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th September 2011, 10:57 PM
This says new Pokemon discussion thread. From my knowledge, Azumarill isn't a new Pokemon

Blazios
11th September 2011, 1:53 AM
This says new Pokemon discussion thread. From my knowledge, Azumarill isn't a new Pokemon

That's signifying that the thread's a new one, i.e it's a remade thread, nothing to do with what Pokémon can be discussed.

R_N
11th September 2011, 2:27 AM
That's signifying that the thread's a new one, i.e it's a remade thread, nothing to do with what Pokémon can be discussed.

In this thread you may discuss the new 5th gen Pokemon.
thanks first post!

Wulava
11th September 2011, 4:11 AM
First post amended and updated!
Be sure to read it.

Well, this isn't a new/remade thread to begin with. It's almost a year old... >__>
Anyway, you are allowed to discuss the 5th Gen Pokemon in general in this thread.
Don't limit yourselves to Victini up to Genesect.