PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

R_N
2nd October 2010, 8:10 PM
The evo looks shrimplike, but as far as I know shrimp don't live in shells. It appears the evo is more like a snail out of it's shell.

Which seems likely. I don't know about snails, but hermit crabs are much, much faster outside of their shells, so I imagine snails probably are, too.

Snails without shells are slugs.
But, while not BLAZING FAST, I assume slugs are slightly faster, yes.

This fact is probably exaggerated since otherwise it would ruin the dichotomy between the slow knight and fast ninja

LexSuicune
2nd October 2010, 8:23 PM
I think it's very cool we have another Zangoose/Seviper kindda rivalry this time around, should play out nicely in the anime!

Lorde
2nd October 2010, 8:30 PM
I thought chobomaki and it's evo are supposed to be shrimp(actually more it's evo, it seems very shrimp like to me).

I suppose Game Freak could have easily had Chobomaki be a shrimp just because it's Pokemon, but I don't think it even crossed their minds this time around to be honest. While I think it would've been very creative, Chobomaki seems to be a snail of sorts and when it gets traded with it's counterpart, it's shell is taken which reverts it back to a some slug. Someone said that shell it has as a Chobomaki looks like a nautilus shell and I actually wish that were the case since I love those little guys ;_;

R_N
2nd October 2010, 8:33 PM
I think it's very cool we have another Zangoose/Seviper kindda rivalry this time around, should play out nicely in the anime!

Well it's not really a rivalry as much as it is the beetle is a giant prick who gets the idea to steal the shell when sparked by trade.

Grei
2nd October 2010, 8:55 PM
Snails without shells are slugs.
But, while not BLAZING FAST, I assume slugs are slightly faster, yes.

This fact is probably exaggerated since otherwise it would ruin the dichotomy between the slow knight and fast ninja

Oh

I wasn't sure if slugs were a separate species or not... I figured the slug and snail would be a similar pair to squirrels and flying squirrels--very alike yet with a few distinguishing differences.

But since they're the same thing... hmm. Maybe they purposefully made it so that the slug is lightning-fast, just to put opposites together and effectively make a paradoxical Pokemon.

R_N
2nd October 2010, 9:20 PM
Oh

I wasn't sure if slugs were a separate species or not... I figured the slug and snail would be a similar pair to squirrels and flying squirrels--very alike yet with a few distinguishing differences.

But since they're the same thing... hmm. Maybe they purposefully made it so that the slug is lightning-fast, just to put opposites together and effectively make a paradoxical Pokemon.

Well, I mean in the squirrels are just flying squrrels without the skin flaps sense, yes.

Andyhaunt
2nd October 2010, 9:49 PM
Oh

Slugs and snails are off course separated species, but close relatives. In an evolutionary contexts, slugs were ancestrally snail-like since they had a shell, but it was lost in their evolutionary history. This happened to both land-snails and water-snails, which are two independant evolutionary lineages.
So, the CHobomaki-Agiruuda line reflect the evolutionary context of their real counterparts. However, Slugma and Magcargo are also based on slugs and snails, but the evolutionary trend is reversed respect their real life counterparts.

ForeverFlame
2nd October 2010, 10:00 PM
In terms of rivalries, there's also the fire anteater and the (conveniently) steel ant. I love how that works. It's almost true to animals adapting to their habitats in real life, except with elemental powers and stuff.

LexSuicune
2nd October 2010, 10:13 PM
In terms of rivalries, there's also the fire anteater and the (conveniently) steel ant. I love how that works. It's almost true to animals adapting to their habitats in real life, except with elemental powers and stuff.

That was actually the one I was talking about.

It's very cool how their typings match the rivalries too. The Anteater must have evolved into a fire Pokemon to counter the steel typings of Iront's.

Mario with Lasers
2nd October 2010, 10:53 PM
They just forgot to actually make the anteater better than the steel ant, you see.

RedMage23
2nd October 2010, 11:00 PM
Everything I ever needed to know about zoology I learned from Pokemon

Endless
2nd October 2010, 11:04 PM
They just forgot to actually make the anteater better than the steel ant, you see.
Yeah but it is it's typing makes it the superior.
It is the some sort of the same with Zangoose/Seviper as Zangoose have Imunnety makes it superior.

Mario with Lasers
2nd October 2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah but it is it's typing makes it the superior.
It is the some sort of the same with Zangoose/Seviper as Zangoose have Imunnety makes it superior.

Funnily enough, unless Kuitaran goes with some crazy defensive EV spread, Aianto can OHKO it with Stone Edge and be free to Make Friends with whoever it wishes to, lol.

Why isn't the anteater Fire/Ground????? srsly gais

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42
2nd October 2010, 11:44 PM
I really like Victini!

Lorde
3rd October 2010, 12:03 AM
I didn't even know that the new anteater Pokemon was of the Fire-type until a few days ago when I noticed that Grass-type attacks did little to harm it lol. I like that it has the advantage against the steel-ant since it's similar to how real anteaters have the advantage against ants. I suppose that in the real world though, their biggest advantage is size and not necessarily fire. I like this new pair since it's like the new Zangoose/Seviper :]

Cobalt_Latios
3rd October 2010, 12:19 AM
I suppose Game Freak could have easily had Chobomaki be a shrimp just because it's Pokemon, but I don't think it even crossed their minds this time around to be honest. While I think it would've been very creative, Chobomaki seems to be a snail of sorts and when it gets traded with it's counterpart, it's shell is taken which reverts it back to a some slug. Someone said that shell it has as a Chobomaki looks like a nautilus shell and I actually wish that were the case since I love those little guys ;_;
Yeah, we definitely need a Nautilus Pokemon. Damn, I hope we get something like that for gen 6. Nautilus, Squid (maybe), Stingray, Sturgeon, Northern Pike (Grass/Water)...

And this is coming from someone who's complaining that there are too many water types :/.

...I want to believe you're trolling, just to say it isn't working.

Funnily enough, unless Kuitaran goes with some crazy defensive EV spread, Aianto can OHKO it with Stone Edge and be free to Make Friends with whoever it wishes to, lol.

Why isn't the anteater Fire/Ground????? srsly gais
. . .

Of course, without STAB...

Now I really hope you're trolling for the Anteater.

Anyhow, I decided to re-look through the whole list and see if there were any others that I slowly grew to like, and actually, a few of them.

I'm not sure what kind of animal it's based on, but... Kojondo seems like a very interesting fighting type. I could definitely see myself using it.

Oh, and I definitely love the way they designed Shibirudon (the Lamprey). I kind of did wonder if they were ever going to do something like that, and frankly, I like it.

The only one that is more of a "try it and see if you like it" is Maggyo (Electric Flounder). I dunno, design wise, it looks neat, but... yeah, I'll actually have to try it.

C_L

RedMage23
3rd October 2010, 12:27 AM
. Damn, I hope we get something like that for gen 6. Nautilus, Squid (maybe), Stingray, Sturgeon, Northern Pike (Grass/Water)...

L

Omanyte is similar to a nautilus. Tentacool is similar to a squid. Mantine is similar to a stingray. Relicanth is similar to a sturgeon.

But... what he said about Aianto is true... it probably COULD OHKO Kuitaran with Stone Edge...

Lorde
3rd October 2010, 12:33 AM
Omanyte is similar to a nautilus. Tentacool is similar to a squid. Mantine is similar to a stingray. Relicanth is similar to a sturgeon.

Tentacool is more like a jellyfish than a squid to be honest though. Although, and this is just me, I think that new pink/blue Water/Ghost Pokemon is similar to a squid already. It's name is Pururiru I think. It's "hands" look like the main tentacles that squids use to grab prey with while it's "legs" look like the other tentacles you see floating along with them.

Mr. E Goods
3rd October 2010, 1:10 AM
I prefer the ninja snail.

Deicario
3rd October 2010, 1:48 AM
I suppose its fast, not only because it loses its shell, but also because slugs move slowly but when your not looking somehow make great distances.

DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON IT.

Mario with Lasers
3rd October 2010, 1:54 AM

. . .

Of course, without STAB...

Now I really hope you're trolling for the Anteater.

The only thing the anteater has going for it is the Fire-type gimmick. Besides it, it's just... a bad Fire-type and a bad pokémon overall (battle-wise). The ant is kinda weird but has a good type, workable movepool/abilities and hell, it can even beat its natural predator with a non-STAB move. Such a travesty, I say.

it's also miles better in design than the anteater but that's another story

KuroiMawile
3rd October 2010, 2:50 AM
I love the Irant because before the whole list of pokemon was release, my friend and I were talking about why there weren't some Giant ants in pokemon to ruin picnics.

and Go Team Bug-Jouster

Cobalt_Latios
3rd October 2010, 3:04 AM
Omanyte is similar to a nautilus.
It's based on an Ammonite (http://ianjuby.org/images/ammonite2.jpg). This (http://dandeliondiadem.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/nautilus.jpg?w=351&h=305) is a Nautilus.

Tentacool is similar to a squid.
It's a Jellyfish. I'm not sure what kind it is, but it's a jellyfish. If anything, Tentacruel would have to be a Portuguese Man o War (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Portuguese_Man-O-War_%28Physalia_physalis%29.jpg)

Mantine is similar to a stingray.
Mantine is a Manta Ray (http://www.divetrip.com/photos/mantabay4.jpg). This (http://www.elasmodiver.com/Sharkive%20images/Atlantic%20Stingray%20100.jpg) is a Stingray.

Relicanth is similar to a sturgeon.
Relicanth is a Coelacanth (http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/images/2007/07/18/coelacanth_3.jpg). This (http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Acipenseridae/atlantic_sturgeon.jpg) is a Sturgeon.

But... what he said about Aianto is true... it probably COULD OHKO Kuitaran with Stone Edge...
Maybe, but that's only based on Stone Edge's base attack, and probably Aianto's high base Attack.

Naturally it can't learn Stone Edge. So therefore Kuitaran is still viable in-game. Competitively... I'll agree. ONLY if they were paired against each other. And if the smug bastard with Aianto was smart enough to have it know Stone Edge in the first place... which he probably would.

The only thing the anteater has going for it is the Fire-type gimmick. Besides it, it's just... a bad Fire-type and a bad pokémon overall (battle-wise). The ant is kinda weird but has a good type, workable movepool/abilities and hell, it can even beat its natural predator with a non-STAB move. Such a travesty, I say.
Competitively, yes, naturally, not so much.

And this is based on my longtime love of Anteaters. So there. Never been much of a fan of ant's anyways.

WTF GameFreak? What's the big idea of making a freaking ANT have high attack and high speed. Please tell me you were basing this off of the Carpenter ant... or some other kind of relatively dangerous ant and I might give you guys some lee-way. If you based it off of your common ants... I am not amused...

it's also miles better in design than the anteater but that's another story
Okay NOW you're trolling me. How the hell does an ANT have a better design than the Anteater? HOW!?

C_L

Rakurai
3rd October 2010, 3:05 AM
Seeing both Pendoraa and Aianto made me happy. I always thought the series was long overdue for Pokemon based on those arthropods.

Now I wonder when we'll get a dolphin Pokemon.

Cobalt_Latios
3rd October 2010, 3:15 AM
Seeing both Pendoraa and Aianto made me happy. I always thought the series was long overdue for Pokemon based on those arthropods.
Pendoraa is called the Mega-Centipede Pokemon? What the? It looks more like some sort of Pill Bug, if anything... wait...

Maybe it is: Centipede (http://shimmyshewobble.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/giant_centipede.jpg)

Although, it's earlier forms remind me more of a Pill Bug, so that's where the confusion must have been.

And Aianto may possibly be based off of a bullet ant (http://thepirata.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bullet_ant02.jpg).

C_L

Luke the Almighty
3rd October 2010, 3:17 AM
POKEMON ARE BASED OFF OF THESE THINGS DERP

It's funny, because he said those Pokémon are similar to those animals, not that they were actually based off of them.

R_N
3rd October 2010, 3:23 AM
WTF GameFreak? What's the big idea of making a freaking ANT have high attack and high speed. Please tell me you were basing this off of the Carpenter ant... or some other kind of relatively dangerous ant and I might give you guys some lee-way. If you based it off of your common ants... I am not amused...

Really?
You really can not think of a reason why an ant would have high attack & speed?

Ants are very quick (as are most insects). They can also lift many times their body weight and their bites do indeed hurt (and can tear off pieces of other, bigger insects). In fact, proportionally, I think they have one of the strongest lift rates?
The only thing that keeps them from being hellspawn are their small size.

Aianto is nearly a foot tall, has pincers nearly the size of his head, and a metallic body.

(Reason #1547 why living in the Pokemon world would be terrifying)

Okay NOW you're trolling me. How the hell does an ANT have a better design than the Anteater? HOW!?

C_L

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/bf/632.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/2c/631.png
Maybe he likes the sleeker design? The overall aesthetic pleasantries? Color scheme?

There's lots of reasons someone might like Aianto over Kuitaran. (I like him more but I don't dislike the anteater)

ForeverFlame
3rd October 2010, 3:30 AM
An iron ant is bound to be powerful. That thing could probably pick up a Garchomp with ease, which is absolutely terrifying. The Ant Eater has to be part Fire, otherwise it wouldn't stand a chance. Just look at those evil red eyes...

Pendora, on the other hand, is simply awesome. It has an amazing design, and even though its typing isn't original, it has a lot more going for it than the other poisonous bugs.

I'm seriously considering making a team solely out of Bugs. We have Bug/Steel, Bug/Electric, Bug/Flying, Bug/Fire, Bug/Rock, Bug/Grass, Bug/Poison, Bug/Fighting, and Bug/Ground. That's pretty good type coverage. I wish we had Water/Ice/Dragon Bugs though.

Sabonea_Masukippa
3rd October 2010, 3:34 AM

Now I wonder when we'll get a dolphin Pokemon.

There's a couple of things holding back a dolphin Pokemon. First, there's some unfortunate cultural baggage with dolphins and the Japanese (although similar baggage didn't stop them making a whale). Then, despite the abundance of water types, relatively few of them are fish-shaped (well aware dolphins are mammalian, but they are still rough shaped like a fish). Then there's a problem of how to design a cool dolphin Pokemon that doesn't look either boring or look like its trying too hard. Anyway I'm sure we'll get one someday (and it'd stop people abusing mons like Vanipucchi and Maggyo for "stealing" the elusive dolphin's spot in the dex).

Mario with Lasers
3rd October 2010, 3:34 AM
Maybe, but that's only based on Stone Edge's base attack, and probably Aianto's high base Attack.

Naturally it can't learn Stone Edge. So therefore Kuitaran is still viable in-game. Competitively... I'll agree. ONLY if they were paired against each other. And if the smug bastard with Aianto was smart enough to have it know Stone Edge in the first place... which he probably would.

Lol but it does learn it ingame, Stone Edge is a TM...

Competitively, yes, naturally, not so much.

And this is based on my longtime love of Anteaters. So there. Never been much of a fan of ant's anyways.

Lol I'd say it's the opposite with me. I find anteaters interesting, but I like ants more. Just a bit more.

Not only that, but they made the ant have better stats than the anteater. Not a higher BST, but... better distributed stats. It has lol HP/SDef, but its typing gives it a chance of taking a hit if needed, and the high Attack and Speed mean it will land at least one hit, or even two. Its Defense is also absurd lol, if only it was swapped with the HP, the ant would have a defensive prowess equivalent to that of a ~75/~75/~75 pokémon...

On the other hand, the anteater, which clearly should have been Fire/Ground (if not for the obvious badassery of such a typing), has bad Speed and lol defenses, and also a not-as-helpful-as-Aianto's typing.

C_L

Haters gonna hate ~__~

Kariachi
3rd October 2010, 3:35 AM

C_L

By actually looking like an ant? Aianto looks like the army ant from the realm of Peaches, Kuitaran... It disappoints me. And I keep thinking it's a pirate. And it isn't.

Which makes me sad.

Really, it's one of the four fire types that I don't like this gen.

But Darumakka and Hitomoshi are just the cutest things!

Luke the Almighty
3rd October 2010, 3:37 AM
i'm seriously considering making a team solely out of bugs. We have bug/steel, bug/electric, bug/flying, bug/fire, bug/rock, bug/grass, bug/poison, bug/fighting, and bug/ground. That's pretty good type coverage. I wish we had water/ice/dragon bugs though.

why is yanmega not bug/dragon???

BCVM22
3rd October 2010, 3:45 AM
What is there about Yanmega that is particularly draconic? It's a giant, prehistoric dragonfly. And yes, I get that it's called a dragonfly.

R_N
3rd October 2010, 4:02 AM
What is there about Yanmega that is particularly draconic? It's a giant, prehistoric dragonfly. And yes, I get that it's called a dragonfly.

Honestly I'd think Flygon & Vibrava were the best bets for Bug/Dragon. But then that whole "antlion" and desert thing got in the way.

Cobalt_Latios
3rd October 2010, 4:12 AM
It's funny, because he said those Pokémon are similar to those animals, not that they were actually based off of them.
I realize that, but to me similar/based off of sort blurred together. That and I wanted to get at the point that I do want to see those particular animals as Pokemon.

Really?
You really can not think of a reason why an ant would have high attack & speed?

Ants are very quick (as are most insects). They can also lift many times their body weight and their bites do indeed hurt (and can tear off pieces of other, bigger insects). In fact, proportionally, I think they have one of the strongest lift rates?
The only thing that keeps them from being hellspawn are their small size.

Aianto is nearly a foot tall, has pincers nearly the size of his head, and a metallic body.

(Reason #1547 why living in the Pokemon world would be terrifying)
I'll be completely honest here, I know all of that, and yet the only reason why it never occurred to me, was probably because I was trying to defend my opinion on liking anteaters more than ants (true), however, I do agree that a foot tall ant with high attack and speed would be downright terrifying.

And, if you like at my previous post where I give a possible explanation as to what Aianto is possibly based off of, and it gets even scarier (the pain from a bullet ants bite lasts for up to 10 hours. I was kind of hoping Aianto would learn "bullet punch", then I'd probably like him more. *checks egg moves* eh, Thunder Fang will do).

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/bf/632.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/2c/631.png
Maybe he likes the sleeker design? The overall aesthetic pleasantries? Color scheme?

There's lots of reasons someone might like Aianto over Kuitaran. (I like him more but I don't dislike the anteater)
Eh, I guess it's because when people think of "anteaters", they usually assume it's this (http://www.bluemacaws.org/images/blue214.jpg), while Kuitaran is probably based of a Tamandua, which is this (http://www.mongabay.net/images/wren/tamandua-1.gif).

If I can just get proper confirmation on what Aianto is based off of, I'd probably like him a tad more (I don't mind him, but I just prefer Kuitaran).

Lol but it does learn it ingame, Stone Edge is a TM...
I meant ingame, as in "main storyline" ingame. I do realize it can learn it via TM.

Okay, Kuitaran vs. Aianto is probably not the best considering who's faster and whatnot, but Kuitaran is still a decent Fire type. Not the best, but it's still got decent stats and learns some decent Fire type moves.

Lol I'd say it's the opposite with me. I find anteaters interesting, but I like ants more. Just a bit more.
Geez, you could have told me this earlier. Then I could at least get why you prefer Aianto more.

Okay then, it's settled. I'm not battling you with Kuitaran if you send out Aianto. I'll probably be using Hihidaruma instead... or something else that can handle Aianto's typing.

Oh lord, it just occurred to me. Aianto is basically an improved Scizor.

On the other hand, the anteater, which clearly should have been Fire/Ground (if not for the obvious badassery of such a typing), has bad Speed and lol defenses, and also a not-as-helpful-as-Aianto's typing.
It just "bugs" me that the first thing you thought was for a way of having Aianto instantly KO a Pokemon who's typing clearly is meant to take it down.

It's simply just how quickly it occurred to you.

Haters gonna hate ~__~
I've gotten over it... somewhat.

By actually looking like an ant? Aianto looks like the army ant from the realm of Peaches, Kuitaran... It disappoints me. And I keep thinking it's a pirate. And it isn't.
This might help you visualize it a bit more (http://www.mongabay.net/images/wren/tamandua-1.gif)

But Darumakka and Hitomoshi are just the cutest things!
Shandara is actually a pretty damn decent Fire type.

C_L

RedMage23
3rd October 2010, 5:39 AM

Thank you. That's what I was just about to say, but you said it for me. My point was that we already have Pokemon that are pretty similar to said animals. We could have Pokemon directly based on those animals, but it's not as if there's a empty niche where they must be made.

Lorde
3rd October 2010, 6:48 AM
Thank you. That's what I was just about to say, but you said it for me. My point was that we already have Pokemon that are pretty similar to said animals. We could have Pokemon directly based on those animals, but it's not as if there's a empty niche where they must be made.

I do think there's an "empty niche" though. I mean, why else did we get Pururiru as the new Tentacool, Dangoro as the new Geodude, and Koromori as the new Zubat? Because there was an empty space in this Generation that needed to be filled since the Isshu region lacked any older Pokemon at the start. I do strongly believe that certain animals must be made into Pokemon in order for the games to run smoothly with the formula Game Freak uses.

Stardust .
3rd October 2010, 10:35 AM
Anteater looks like a penis head/downy. Hahaha

I dislike the Aianto as well :S

Ophie
3rd October 2010, 11:02 AM
Heh, Kuitaran's popularity has been skyrocketing over the past several days at the University of California Irvine due to its mascot being the anteater. A few days ago, word got out to the general student population that an anteater Pokémon has just been created for the 5th generation, and now the video game playing population (and much of those who don't) are all over Kuitaran.

I suppose its fast, not only because it loses its shell, but also because slugs move slowly but when your not looking somehow make great distances.

DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON IT.

It could be that Agilder is based on the pistol shrimp. I personally think it resembles a shrimp (deshelled, I suppose). Pistol shrimps are some of the fastest attackers in the world--they fire blasts of sonic energy. I'm serious--their sound blasts are strong enough to shatter aquarium glass for anyone dumb enough to put a pistol shrimp in their fishtanks.

(For the record, the cone snail also strikes extremely quickly. It moves ever so slowly, but it strikes and kills with lethal poison in a split second.)

BCVM22
3rd October 2010, 11:09 AM
Heh, Kuitaran's popularity has been skyrocketing over the past several days at the University of California Irvine due to its mascot being the anteater.

Your student body can challenge Auburn's to a Kuitaran vs. Wargle battle royale.

Slowemperor
3rd October 2010, 12:03 PM
I like the anteater more than the ant. The ant eater is more diferent. It's style and detail (altough not subtile) differs him more from other anteaters. And how many fire-breathing anteaters have you seen around? Irant, even though a deliciously cooked name, is an iron ant like any other seen anywhere. What differs it from a normal ant? Metal coating, big fangs and red eyes, just like every other metal/giant/space ant seen before. Metal giant bugs is not a new idea, and although it could be worked differently, it wasn't. Irant could easly not be a pokemon (I'm not saying it's not a "true-one", whatever that means).

I understand your point, ant-fans, however.

Corroded Arceus
3rd October 2010, 12:47 PM
I like the ant more, main reason being I love bug types. However, I also don't care for the anteater's design much. I love the colours red and yellow, they're my favourites, but putting them together just looks like some kind of weird McDonald's creation. The anteater's face, to me, looks like a Voltorb eye c+p'ed onto a weird half moon shape, and it's wrists and tail looks weird.

Aianto is much better looking in my opinion. The only thing that irks me is its thorax, which looks a bit like a hunchback. Other than that I love it.

So yeah, Team Aianto all the way.

Walcott
3rd October 2010, 1:35 PM
I like the anteater more than the ant. The ant eater is more diferent. It's style and detail (altough not subtile) differs him more from other anteaters. And how many fire-breathing anteaters have you seen around? Irant, even though a deliciously cooked name, is an iron ant like any other seen anywhere. What differs it from a normal ant? Metal coating, big fangs and red eyes, just like every other metal/giant/space ant seen before. Metal giant bugs is not a new idea, and although it could be worked differently, it wasn't. Irant could easly not be a pokemon (I'm not saying it's not a "true-one", whatever that means).

I understand your point, ant-fans, however.

I don't think it should be completely based on design though. If that's how you want to take your opinion, it's fine, but I think it makes more sense to also take into account their type and stuff.

In Kuitaran's case, it's just a Fire-type. Plain, no secondary type. Throw a Gamageroge and you can easily take it out (knowing this because I did it less than twelve hours ago :3). For Aianto, it's Bug- and Steel-type. That's a pretty decent combination. Both Aianto and Kuitaran are good against Grass, but Aianto is also resistant to a lot of things. I was on Victory Road, and the first Aianto I saw took out half my team. Granted, they aren't extremely strong, but still.

So I have to agree with this:

I like the ant more, main reason being I love bug types. However, I also don't care for the anteater's design much. I love the colours red and yellow, they're my favourites, but putting them together just looks like some kind of weird McDonald's creation. The anteater's face, to me, looks like a Voltorb eye c+p'ed onto a weird half moon shape, and it's wrists and tail looks weird.

Aianto is much better looking in my opinion. The only thing that irks me is its thorax, which looks a bit like a hunchback. Other than that I love it.

RitterCat
3rd October 2010, 2:26 PM
I look at pokes mainly on design, and I have to say, I do prefer the anteater. I have a thing against bug pokes in general, but being as impartial as possible, the anteater is more innovative and original. The ant is...well...an ant with steel colouring, whereas the design for the anteater, IMO is much more creative. I love the colouring and the patterning and the aesthetics but basically I just think it looks really good. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the ant but I took the opportunity to fangasm about the anteater
And anyway, we all know that fire is SE on steel and bug, so that's 4x pwnage over your Irant

Team Antheater FTW

MetalFlygon08
3rd October 2010, 3:31 PM
The ant, I was hoping to get a design similar to those ninja ants from Super Mario RPG. The anteater makes me think of Fireman for some reason.

profpeanut
3rd October 2010, 4:15 PM
A pot shot at the the English names for Shanderaa's line:

Candlit -> Candlamp -> Candlier

RedMage23
3rd October 2010, 4:22 PM
I don't really care about the anteater or the ant.

Team Jacob FTW

Grei
3rd October 2010, 4:35 PM
I like the anteater better. It's cooler and Irant just seems like a total failure. Bug/Steel with low Sp. Def? It's asking to get roasted.

conejoz
3rd October 2010, 5:27 PM
wats up with the 2nd legend trio thingy they all look the same
pokemon is getting more lazy lol

LexSuicune
3rd October 2010, 6:14 PM
I definitely think Iront's more badass.

But then again, i'm not too keen on fire types :p

Sakrey
3rd October 2010, 6:21 PM

Oh yeah, what a bunch of lazy people in Game Freak.
How come did they decide to produce a legendary trio whose members are shaped in the same body form.
Plus, it's not like they have differences in theirs tails/mustaches/hairs/horns/animation. They are soooooo similar.

They should have put more work, like, in the Sinnoh trio. THIS one was by far the most creative that any main Pokémon title could have handled.

A_Merry_Snowrunt
3rd October 2010, 6:26 PM
I love the fact you can battle and catch highly evolved Pokemon now. It's like GameFreak opened up the world of Pokemon to a whole new level. I wonder if it's due to the seclusion of the GBA games and/or due to the new region of Pokemon?

Cobalt_Latios
3rd October 2010, 6:28 PM
Okay, time to diverge from discussion about the Anteater/Ant.

How about... Kojondo! A strange design for a Fighting type, with a great movepool and decent stats. What do you all think?

C_L

Walcott
3rd October 2010, 6:32 PM

They're aren't getting lazy. These three are (imo) basically three Pokémon for the same basic thing, which would be storms/natural disasters. One is for thunderstorms, one for tornadoes, and one for earthquakes. Very similar disastrous things should be resembled similarly.

Which, like the other person said, Azelf and his trio are also similar, and I think that's because they're all representing similar things, one emotion, one memory, and one self-control.

I think it's brilliant tbh.

Endless
3rd October 2010, 6:36 PM

How about... Kojondo! A strange design for a Fighting type, with a great movepool and decent stats. What do you all think?

C_L

To be honest, I don't like it. It reminds me of Renamon from digimon. I also don't like the design for some reason. I will go as far as saying it is in my bottom five Isshu pokemon.

R_N
3rd October 2010, 6:36 PM
They're aren't getting lazy. These three are (imo) basically three Pokémon for the same basic thing, which would be storms/natural disasters. One is for thunderstorms, one for tornadoes, and one for earthquakes. Very similar disastrous things should be resembled similarly.

Which, like the other person said, Azelf and his trio are also similar, and I think that's because they're all representing similar things, one emotion, one memory, and one self-control.

I think the main reason people are up in arms is because the default pose for the Raijinns is exactly the same. So it brings out how similar they are to a ridiculous degree. Their animations may vary wildly, but when the still defaults are the ones you are most likely to be exposed to...

I mean, even the pixies had different poses, for example.

Kariachi
3rd October 2010, 7:28 PM

C_L

That one I like! Gonna have one on my team when White comes out in the states.

Lorde
3rd October 2010, 7:32 PM

C_L

Kojondo is that Fighting-type purple-colored weasel Pokemon right? I think it's just fine. Nothing too special about it apart from the interesting type and design given to it. To be honest, the thing about Kojondo and it's pre-evolved form that turns me off is that weasels have been done to death, especially in Generation 4. I don't have the stomach for any more so it's just fine with me, but not great.

Varnani
3rd October 2010, 7:36 PM
I love the fact you can battle and catch highly evolved Pokemon now. It's like GameFreak opened up the world of Pokemon to a whole new level.
Absolutely agree, it opens up so many possibilities now that one doesn't necessarily need to level up everything to keep a dynamic party!

razz

Slowemperor
3rd October 2010, 7:43 PM
About Kojondo? I actually like his pre-evo more... remembers be from Winnie the Pooh and Kung Fu Panda... it's Kung Fu Pooh!

And since we are bringing up random pokémon... what about Kurimugan? Weird poké, hem? Looks misplaced as if it felt down from the sky with no apparent reason.
It looks like it's missing an evolutionary line or some twist in the design.

ForeverFlame
3rd October 2010, 7:47 PM
I don't like Kojondo or its evolution with highly disjointed wrists. It has a boring type, and it's available a while after the Roobushin family (which is by far superior in the stats department).

Krake
3rd October 2010, 7:55 PM
I don't like Kojondo or its evolution with highly disjointed wrists. It has a boring type, and it's available a while after the Roobushin family (which is by far superior in the stats department).

It's only available towards the end of the game, though.

The Dark/Fighting lizards are starting to grow on me. The basic stage is kinda cute in a rapscallion sort of way.

On another note, why can Pokabu's evolutions only learn one Fighting move, Arm Thrust, by level up? In all honesty, this makes it seem like they just pulled the Fighting type out of their ***.

Walcott
3rd October 2010, 8:01 PM
I really like Kojondo and its pre-evolution. When I first saw it I definitely didn't think it was a Fighting-type though. I like that the pre-evolution is small, and it reminds me of a little kid training to learn how to fight and such. I love that when it evolves, it becomes more angelic (at least imo) and less fighting-like. I never like having a Fighting-type one my team because I never like their designs much, but this is one that I would add to my team if I ever needed it.

Dracoste
3rd October 2010, 8:02 PM
I don't mind waiting 6/7 gyms to get Kojofuu, IMO it's really awesome. Also it's abilitie Regeneration is very useful.

Rakurai
3rd October 2010, 8:08 PM
I like Kojofuu and Kojondo, too. The former for its cry that sounds like one of those classic martial artist battle cries, and the latter for fact that it appears to use mantis style kung-fu, judging from the stance.

Can't wait to get one with Reckless ability from the Dream World, because High Jump Kicks from that thing will seriously mess up anything that doesn't resist them.

MetalFlygon08
3rd October 2010, 8:11 PM
Know what Pokemon I'm already tired of seeing?

Yorterri and it's evolution...

MetalFlygon08
3rd October 2010, 8:11 PM

Wallaroo42
3rd October 2010, 8:12 PM
It's only available towards the end of the game, though.

On another note, why can Pokabu's evolutions only learn one Fighting move, Arm Thrust, by level up? In all honesty, this makes it seem like they just pulled the Fighting type out of their ***.

Actually emboar learns hammer arm by level up (though you have to move tutor it)

But I do agree. I was really hoping this guy would get mach punch or counter/revenge or something for his slowness

Crimson_Blazer
3rd October 2010, 8:15 PM
Your student body can challenge Auburn's to a Kuitaran vs. Wargle battle royale.

Bro auburn's mascot is the Tigers...... Anyways, what's up with that solo dragon, his color scheme looks pretty weird, and those wings look trippy. Not as weird as sazando's wings though. Both are awesome none-the-less

Walcott
3rd October 2010, 8:24 PM

Really? I hardly ever see them. How far are you? I'm pretty sure they're more common in the beginning of the game.

The Pokémon I have yet to see yet that I really want to see is Pururiru. I would go back to Route 4 to find one, but now that I'm almost ready to face the League I'd rather not go and get a weaker Pokémon since I would greatly like to use it from now on.

MetalFlygon08
3rd October 2010, 8:37 PM
What really pesters me about them, is 4 gymleaders use them, and when I'm playing on a australian flightless bird, and trying to rip the animations, I have to catch pokemon and to do that I use a wild modifier code, but if it for some reason, fails, yorterri @_@

also Gear's first evolution has Special wild battle music, despite being in normal grass!

Lorde
3rd October 2010, 8:43 PM

Tell me about it; I despise those things. Yooterii only appears at the beginning of the game, but that's enough. It seems like every trainer on the first few routes along the way uses one, at least up until Hiun City. As for Haderia, I've seen too many in double battle patches of grass and at Aloe's Gym to last me a lifetime. Honestly, I almost rather see Minezumi and Miruhoggu than Yooterii and Haderia at this point.

Cobalt_Latios
3rd October 2010, 8:53 PM
The Dark/Fighting lizards are starting to grow on me. The basic stage is kinda cute in a rapscallion sort of way.
I'm actually thinking of using one. I think he's based on some sort of desert gecko, or something to that extent. He also learns some decent moves as well.

However, for good reason; they're actually pretty damn strong.

C_L

BCVM22
3rd October 2010, 8:54 PM
Bro auburn's mascot is the Tigers...

I'm aware. The reference still makes fine sense. Google it.

ForeverFlame
3rd October 2010, 9:01 PM
I think Yorterri is cute, but its hideous evolutions are very annoying. They can pack quite a bite too.

And don't get me started on Miruhoggu. That thing is so broken it's not even funny. Now I can understand why Aloe had one...

Dracoste
3rd October 2010, 9:53 PM
I hope people aren't going to use a team full of Kojondos in triple battles, because of it's attack wide gaurd: One Kojondo use wide gaurd the other two fight, next another Kojonde uses wide gaurd and the other two fight, then the next Kojondo use wide gaurd, etc. etc. This means your opponent can't attack you.

BLADEDGE
3rd October 2010, 9:56 PM
I have a question, will certian routes (IE: 11-18) be accessable after getting the Natinol Dex?

Dracoste
3rd October 2010, 9:59 PM
I have a question, will certian routes (IE: 11-18) be accessable after getting the Natinol Dex?

Yes, I think route 11,12,13,14,15.

BLADEDGE
3rd October 2010, 10:03 PM
Yes, I think route 12,13,14,15.

i had a felling you were gonna say that

KickAsh
3rd October 2010, 10:46 PM
I hope people aren't going to use a team full of Kojondos in triple battles, because of it's attack wide gaurd: One Kojondo use wide gaurd the other two fight, next another Kojonde uses wide gaurd and the other two fight, then the next Kojondo use wide gaurd, etc. etc. This means your opponent can't attack you.
Heh. I think you just planted this idea in people's heads...

I used to like Yorterri. Then a couple things happened:
I saw its evolutions.
And then it turned out that a bunch of people have them.
Joy.

Rakurai
3rd October 2010, 11:41 PM
As commonly as that strategy is brought up, people are unaware that the Attackdex description of Wide Guard is incorrect, as it only protects against moves that strike multiple Pokemon.

Sabonea_Masukippa
4th October 2010, 12:09 AM
As commonly as that strategy is brought up, people are unaware that the Attackdex description of Wide Guard is incorrect, as it only protects against moves that strike multiple Pokemon.

The Attack-dex is not incorrect as it uses a translation of the in game description of the move, and the description lacks that distinction.

Manafi's Dream
4th October 2010, 12:18 AM
What?! Say it isn't so! Darn I was hoping to get to use that move a lot :(

Off-topic: read my sig!

On-topic: I'm warming up to most of the Pokemon so far (except Zuruggu and its evolution. *shudders*). I'm definitely loving the starters and the monkeys. The monkeys are a great way for newcomers of the series to get started and to have an advantage in the first gym.

Cobalt_Latios
4th October 2010, 12:18 AM
Heh. I think you just planted this idea in people's heads...
It's called Inception...

I used to like Yorterri. Then a couple things happened:
I saw its evolutions.
Not a big deal.

And then it turned out that a bunch of people have them.
Joy.
At least nobody's clamouring that they're Yooteri is in the highest percentage of Yooteri...

edit:

On-topic: I'm warming up to most of the Pokemon so far (except Zuruggu and its evolution. *shudders*). I'm definitely loving the starters and the monkeys. The monkeys are a great way for newcomers of the series to get started and to have an advantage in the first gym.
Actually, I like Zuruggu and Zuruzukin. Considering it's the first Dark/Fighting type, it's a desert gecko (or some other lizard I've forgotten about... have to check), and it has decent stats, I'll most certainly be using it at some point. The typing also makes it immune to Psychic, it can actually take out ghost, and it can hit dark. It's basically a supernatural killer (Psychic, Ghost, Dark). Add Steel, Rock, and Ice to it's repertoire, and it's a surprisingly versatile poke. It's probably even good enough to use against the E4.

C_L

Rakurai
4th October 2010, 12:46 AM
Zuruzukin seems to be a rather hot topic of discussion on the Smogon forum.

Can't say I'm surprised, considering how good its defensive stats and movepool are. I'd train one, but I kind of want to wait for the Dream World one, since Intimidate seems like it'll make it even better of a tank then it already is (Considering that its two weaknesses are generally going to be coming from strong physical attackers).

Cobalt_Latios
4th October 2010, 12:51 AM
Zuruzukin seems to be a rather hot topic of discussion on the Smogon forum.

Can't say I'm surprised, considering how good its defensive stats and movepool are. I'd train one, but I kind of want to wait for the Dream World one, since Intimidate seems like even better of a tank then it already is.
It may not be fast, but it's defensive skills more than make up for that little setback.

I also checked Zuruzukin in the SPPPokedex... it can learn Head Smash (Rock), Hi Jump Kick, can learn all the Elemental Punches via Egg Moves, as well as Dragon Dance, and Dragon Tail...

Well, I think I know who I'm going to be using in my game.

C_L

Mario with Lasers
4th October 2010, 1:31 AM
lol late post

It just "bugs" me that the first thing you thought was for a way of having Aianto instantly KO a Pokemon who's typing clearly is meant to take it down.

It's simply just how quickly it occurred to you.

This is to show how easy it is to the ant to defeat its natural predator before Kuitaran can even leave a dent on it.

I mean, Aianto has a slightly better movepool+ability than Kuitaran. A friggin' Bug/Steel ant has a better movepool than a Fire anteater. It's just... just... Ack.

Shandara is actually a pretty damn decent Fire type.

I'd dare saying Shanderaa is the best Fire-type they have come up in B/W. It tops even Reshiram and Hihidaruma, imo.

Nrthsthestweston
4th October 2010, 1:57 AM
Pics are back up!!!!!!!!!;355;

Cobalt_Latios
4th October 2010, 2:12 AM
I'd dare saying Shanderaa is the best Fire-type they have come up in B/W. It tops even Reshiram and Hihidaruma, imo.
It says something when a friggin' chandelier is better than a Wyvern and a fire-ape daruma.

Of course, it's a "possessed" chandelier. That fits quite nicely in a haunted house.

Being a ghost type is really something else too.

C_L

CyndaquilRules
4th October 2010, 3:21 AM

How can you hate Zuggy!?

He's just.. so cool..
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6205/zuggy.gif

Did these ones to,

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/135/flyinsquirrelz.gif http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8676/shroom.gif

Joe.
4th October 2010, 3:24 AM
Those are so fast.

CyndaquilRules
4th October 2010, 3:26 AM
Those are so fast.

Not really. I just change the frame speed to all be the same. Some of the frames were just really long for some reason originaly. I actualy made most of Emonga's frames slower.

MetalFlygon08
4th October 2010, 6:17 AM
whoah! those are fast! (are you sure their set to 5? my sig is and they don't go THAT fast)

anyways, I think you all would enjoy this treat for now.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/trapinchsheet.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/vibravasheet.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/flygonsheet.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/moguryuusheet-1.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/doryuuzusheet-1.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/deathkansheet-1.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/feraligatorsheet-1.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/garchompsheet-1.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/gearsheet-1.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/gigiasusheet.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/golducksheet-1.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/iwaparesusheet-1.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/kumashunsheet-1.png
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/metalflygon08/rankurususheet-1.png

I figured out how to game rip, it's time consuming, but fun.

Regi24
4th October 2010, 8:06 AM
can someone tell me how i get the skins for the pokedex, c gear etc in my game? i got them on the global link but i dont know how to get them, i spoke to the professor who gave me the c gear but nothing happened.

Ophie
4th October 2010, 10:20 AM

I'm not actually a student there, but a frequent visitor.

I'm actually a graduate of the University of California Santa Cruz. Its mascot is the banana slug. Slugma's the closest Pokémon has had to this really weird creature.

They're based on Japanese folklore. More specifically, Tornaeros is based off of Fuujin, and Boltros is based off of Raijin. If I remember correctly, they were a pair of siblings who couldn't get along and always argued with each other over the tiniest things. They also both rode around in clouds, just like these guys.

Landros, I'm not sure. Bulbapedia says he's based on the Inari, though that's a separate myth, I believe.

I think Yorterri is cute, but its hideous evolutions are very annoying. They can pack quite a bite too.

And don't get me started on Miruhoggu. That thing is so broken it's not even funny. Now I can understand why Aloe had one...

Well, I like Harderia. Of course, I like Scottish terriers. Though I can understand if they've quickly become the Bibarel of this generation.

Anyone missing Bidoof?

Demonblast
4th October 2010, 10:45 AM
To the contrary as no one bothered to train Bibarel. Many people train Yooterri till it's Muurando.

The only odd thing is how can such a big dog surf with such an awkward moustache.

Ophie
4th October 2010, 10:55 AM
Have you ever seen those bulldogs and pugs on surfboards? They love it!

And...that's true, Bibarel was rarely on people's teams. Bidoof or Bibarel was still in nearly every patch of grass though, so if you wanted to walk around in grass to look for Pokémon, chances are you'd run into Bibarel first.

Demonblast
4th October 2010, 11:01 AM
Yep, but Haderia/Yooterri aren't in every single route, nor is Muranndo. This is why I like the 5th Generation as (mostly) every route has differentiated Pokemon and there are no re-occurring Pokemon that stalk you.

scythemantis
4th October 2010, 3:29 PM
I absolutely, positively adore the "trash bag" pokemon. Garbage/sludge/pollution monsters have been one of my favorite monster categories since childhood, but Dasutodasu is so much more monstrous and freaky than Muk and even Weezing, it's going to be on every one of my teams for sure...I don't care if anything outclasses it. Anybody have its animation up yet, or even a youtube vid where I can see it in battle?

I always wanted a Lamprey poke, too, and Shibirudon is cooler than I'd have even expected one!

Cobalt_Latios
4th October 2010, 3:40 PM
whoah! those are fast! (are you sure their set to 5? my sig is and they don't go THAT fast)

zip those as separate images and then pm it to me. I would be honored to give credit for such hard work. All the pieces are available on spriters resource, but unless you know exactly how to assemble them...

Yes and no. Yes, because it's evolution is by far the best HM slave we've ever had (can pretty much learn all HMs except for Fly). No, because he's pretty damn pathetic...

[QUOTE=Demonblast;11681302]To the contrary as no one bothered to train Bibarel.
I did, but only as far to let it evolve, and to be suitable use for capturing low level pokes. It's an awesome HM slave, so why not.

And...that's true, Bibarel was rarely on people's teams. Bidoof or Bibarel was still in nearly every patch of grass though, so if you wanted to walk around in grass to look for Pokémon, chances are you'd run into Bibarel first.
On that note, Bibarel is very useful for getting Attack EVs.

I absolutely, positively adore the "trash bag" pokemon. Garbage/sludge/pollution monsters have been one of my favorite monster categories since childhood, but Dasutodasu is so much more monstrous and freaky than Muk and even Weezing, it's going to be on every one of my teams for sure...I don't care if anything outclasses it. Anybody have its animation up yet, or even a youtube vid where I can see it in battle?
Wow, there really is a Pokemon for everyone this gen.

I always wanted a Lamprey poke, too, and Shibirudon is cooler than I'd have even expected one!
Yes, he is awesome. I too wanted a Lamprey poke, I just wasn't sure how they'd go about doing so.

C_L

MetalFlygon08
4th October 2010, 5:18 PM
These too are on TSR (just forums, gotta rip the backsprites before they get accepted)

it's not hard at all actually, just disable all layers except for the one the pokemon is on in the status screen, use animget to record it until a loop starts, then open each in paint and whammo! you copy each different frame over and then you have the sheet! and can thus animate them like my sig!

Cobalt_Latios
4th October 2010, 5:51 PM
These too are on TSR (just forums, gotta rip the backsprites before they get accepted)

it's not hard at all actually, just disable all layers except for the one the pokemon is on in the status screen, use animget to record it until a loop starts, then open each in paint and whammo! you copy each different frame over and then you have the sheet! and can thus animate them like my sig!
Pretty awesome actually. How many do you plan on doing?

C_L

LexSuicune
4th October 2010, 7:05 PM
That Feraligatr frame is amazing, do you happen to have the shiny one?

Lorde
4th October 2010, 7:11 PM
Yes, he is awesome. I too wanted a Lamprey poke, I just wasn't sure how they'd go about doing so.

Lamprey. Thats the greenish fish-like Pokemon right? The one that evolves from that rare fish Pokemon found in Electric Rock Cave? If so, it's final evolved form is probably my favorite fully evolve Pokemon introduced in Black and White. The only thing about it that makes it odd for me is that it's animated sprite seems to be walking. A walking fish, pfft.

Slowemperor
4th October 2010, 7:33 PM
I think the Lamprey is awsome, and the fact he's a non water fish makes him more. ("I'm too shocking awsome to be water!"). I was considering one on my team but then I fell in love with the spider... At first I hated (when there was only the back sprite), then I liked, now I love it. And the typing is far-more interesting.

Lorde
4th October 2010, 7:38 PM
I think the Lamprey is awsome, and the fact he's a non water fish makes him more. ("I'm too shocking awsome to be water!"). I was considering one on my team but then I fell in love with the spider... At first I hated (when there was only the back sprite), then I liked, now I love it. And the typing is far-more interesting.

I don't know, the fact that it's a fish yet not a Water-type Pokemon is a bit sad. I was planning on using it as my Water Pokemon in the English Black version, but since it's not a Water-type at all, I've changed my mind. I would have seriously considered adding Shibirudon as my team's Electric Pokemon yet the fact that it's basic form isn't found until after the 5th Isshu Gym and the fact that said Pokemon has only an 8% chance of appearing kind of put that idea off lol. I'll stick with something a little more common thank you.

CyndaquilRules
4th October 2010, 8:29 PM

They're all set to six. I missed Emonga's first grame and it's set at 3 though.

It's in hudredths of a second though. I assume that's what your program goes by to?

ryodragonite
4th October 2010, 9:05 PM

Why do you guys like that thing! It gives me nightmares! But its not like the running garbage bag. A horrible, horrible failure on grimers part.

The lamprey does have a pretty cool design for a pokemon. I heard another really good one was Pandoraa. I dont see it.

CyndaquilRules
4th October 2010, 9:15 PM
Why do you guys like that thing! It gives me nightmares! But its not like the running garbage bag. A horrible, horrible failure on grimers part.

The lamprey does have a pretty cool design for a pokemon. I heard another really good one was Pandoraa. I dont see it.

Electrospider is awesome. Don't hate. At least his first evolution isn't a sperm pokemon.

Also,
http://armaina.com/pokemon/Charmeleon%20Front.gifhttp://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8999/flaminlizard.gifhttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7618/flaminlizard2.gif

Second one I didn't change the times. Third one I did. First one is original.

Lorde
4th October 2010, 9:19 PM

What exactly is a Pandoraa? I've heard the name but I have no idea what that Pokemon is. I tend to only memorize the names of Pokemon I find to be cool or ugly. That's why I've memorized Koromori, Kyurem, and Meloetta since they're cool and Chobomaki and Maggyo since they're ugly, in my opinion anyway. I'm about to add Shibirudon to the cool list since, despite the whole feet/walking thing, it has an interesting design. I just hate that it's one of the hardest Pokemon to obtain in these games :<

Cobalt_Latios
4th October 2010, 9:22 PM
Lamprey. Thats the greenish fish-like Pokemon right? The one that evolves from that rare fish Pokemon found in Electric Rock Cave? If so, it's final evolved form is probably my favorite fully evolve Pokemon introduced in Black and White. The only thing about it that makes it odd for me is that it's animated sprite seems to be walking. A walking fish, pfft.
Eh, walking aside, it is awesome. Problem, it's slower than most electric types. On the upside, it's equiped with Levitate making it immune to ground type moves.

And it learns some decent electric type moves.

I don't know, the fact that it's a fish yet not a Water-type Pokemon is a bit sad. I was planning on using it as my Water Pokemon in the English Black version, but since it's not a Water-type at all, I've changed my mind. I would have seriously considered adding Shibirudon as my team's Electric Pokemon yet the fact that it's basic form isn't found until after the 5th Isshu Gym and the fact that said Pokemon has only an 8% chance of appearing kind of put that idea off lol. I'll stick with something a little more common thank you.
8%? Heh, gives me a decent excuse to level grind, lol!

Believe me, a real Lamprey would most likely give you nightmares. This one, not so much. I'd say it's more badass, being a stylish Lamprey, but that's just me.

C_L

Nacreous
4th October 2010, 9:29 PM
What exactly is a Pandoraa? I've heard the name but I have no idea what that Pokemon is. I tend to only memorize the names of Pokemon I find to be cool or ugly. That's why I've memorized Koromori, Kyurem, and Meloetta since they're cool and Chobomaki and Maggyo since they're ugly, in my opinion anyway. I'm about to add Shibirudon to the cool list since, despite the whole feet/walking thing, it has an interesting design. I just hate that it's one of the hardest Pokemon to obtain in these games :<

I think Pendoraa is a centipede>.>

CyndaquilRules
4th October 2010, 9:30 PM

He most likely means,

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon/545.png
http://serebii.net/Shiny/BW/545.png

Nacreous
4th October 2010, 9:32 PM
He most likely means,

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon/545.png
http://serebii.net/Shiny/BW/545.png

Oh...>.>...

Lorde
4th October 2010, 9:32 PM
I think Pendoraa is a centipede>.>

A picture would have helped but thanks for the information regardless lol.

Pendoraa is just annoying. I remember fighting a few in one of those sports domes in Raimon City a while back and those Bug-types didn't want to faint no matter how many Rock or Fire-type moves I used against them. Granted, at that point in the game the choice of Rock and Fire moves was limited to moves with lower base power but it was still annoying. I like Pendoraa's counterpart, the final form of Kurumiru that Arti uses since she's like a feminine version of Scyther.

EDIT: Pendoraa not Pandoraa then? I was confused :s

ryodragonite
4th October 2010, 9:35 PM

Pendoraa is this guy (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/545.shtml). Cool but I wouldnt want it.

Whats with the outbreak of bugs in the Isshu region?

Electrospider is awesome. Don't hate. At least his first evolution isn't a sperm pokemon.

Wait what electric spider?
Thats worse I was talking about This (http://www.pokecharms.com/games/images/b/b8/BW_Fr_604.png)

Wow nice guys. within the 3 min I was typing link you posted it. Nice.

CyndaquilRules
4th October 2010, 9:39 PM
Pandoraa is this guy (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/545.shtml). Cool but I wouldnt want it.

Whats with the outbreak of bugs in the Isshu region?

Wait what electric spider? Thats worse I was talking about This (http://www.pokecharms.com/games/images/b/b8/BW_Fr_604.png)

Ah, well you went from identifying "that thing" to 'garbage bag" (who is also cool) to "Lamprey" so I "that thing" meant Electrospider.

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon/534.png

It's strange, but I've really developed a liking for this guy. I can just image epic fight scenes with him beating down people with his stones..

Except the anime is for little kids :(

ryodragonite
4th October 2010, 9:51 PM
Ah, well you went from identifying "that thing" to 'garbage bag" (who is also cool) to "Lamprey" so I "that thing" meant Electrospider.

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon/534.png

It's strange, but I've really developed a liking for this guy. I can just image epic fight scenes with him beating down people with his stones..

Except the anime is for little kids :(

Oh yeah sorry about that.

Yeah I really like him too but his middle evolution looks like a clown with a brain tumor and veins coming out of his body. This is the first time I have only like the last evolution of a pokemon. And with only one game I cant expect to get Rooposhin to soon.

CyndaquilRules
4th October 2010, 9:56 PM
His middle evolution is quite strange. I like the first and third though.

-Unicorno-
4th October 2010, 10:49 PM
i like the ice cream pokemon its quite funny but one thing ice cream? whats next french fries

Moonlight_Tails
4th October 2010, 11:03 PM
I think the ice cream pokemon is just plain stupid

Lorde
4th October 2010, 11:30 PM
i like the ice cream pokemon its quite funny but one thing ice cream? whats next french fries

Technically, the ice cream cone Pokemon AKA Banipucchi, Baniricchi, and Baibanira (try saying that 5 times fast) are icicles and not actually ice cream. Someone posted about them just being "living" icicles covered in snow. I'm guessing the bottom cone is the icicle part and the top part is the snow.

Dr. Leggs
4th October 2010, 11:42 PM
Vanipucchi and its whole evolutionary line have slowly begun growing on me... I'm fine with them being 'ice cream' Pokemon, and that inspiration just reflects the kind of advanced society Isshu is (Dustdasu makes me think of this, too). I may or may not use Baivanilla at some point... I really like its animation. XD

Royalty
4th October 2010, 11:53 PM
So, I have not been able to find any info on this. Have they done away with the male and female differences for every Pokemon and just limited it to the select few?

Atreyu
5th October 2010, 12:00 AM

What about a burger Pokemon?

I would like to see a Jack-Russell Terrier immortalized as a Pokemon.

BCVM22
5th October 2010, 12:01 AM
Gender differences are not found in "every" Pok&#233;mon, not by a long shot. Of the entire 649-large Pok&#233;dex, less than 100 have visible gender differences.

Of the new Pok&#233;mon, the list is Kenhorou, Pururiru and Burungeru.

Varnani
5th October 2010, 12:10 AM
I would like to see a Jack-Russell Terrier immortalized as a Pokemon.
I'd love to see a Schnauzer or an Siberian Husky, or even an Irish Wolfhound *w*

razz

Pseudo-Unlegendary
5th October 2010, 1:55 AM
I didn't know where to put this but has anyone realized that if there are no pokemon from the previous gens in Isshu, it will be the first generation without a available Pikachu.

Lorde
5th October 2010, 1:59 AM
I didn't know where to put this but has anyone realized that if there are no pokemon from the previous gens in Isshu, it will be the first generation without a available Pikachu.

Everyone seems to have noticed the lack of Pikachu and other Pokemon. I actually like that Black and White include only new Pokemon since it feels like we really are starting our adventure fresh and not encountering old favorites. It's a refreshing change of pace and thanks to this, I've managed to appreciate certain new Pokemon I once hated like Gear and Rankurusu. Besides, Pikachu is stale. At least the new Pikachu (Emonga) can fly without needing an event move :p

ryodragonite
5th October 2010, 2:12 AM
Everyone seems to have noticed the lack of Pikachu and other Pokemon. I actually like that Black and White include only new Pokemon since it feels like we really are starting our adventure fresh and not encountering old favorites. It's a refreshing change of pace and thanks to this, I've managed to appreciate certain new Pokemon I once hated like Gear and Rankurusu. Besides, Pikachu is stale. At least the new Pikachu (Emonga) can fly without needing an event move :p

I know! Gear was like ew what lazy person drew that. But when I saw it move I was like where the heck is this thing. This region would have been ruined if pikachus were running around on every route. Plus you can get one in the dream world next week.

Pseudo-Unlegendary
5th October 2010, 2:13 AM

I agree, I think starting over is a good idea and the more that I look at the designs for this gen, the more I like them.

KickAsh
5th October 2010, 2:28 AM
Yep. People have sort of picked up on that, dude.
But you can catch most of the previous gen's Pokemon post Elite Four. So old favorites like Dragonite and Milotic can be caught.

CyndaquilRules
5th October 2010, 4:07 AM
I'd love to see a Schnauzer or an Siberian Husky, or even an Irish Wolfhound *w*

razz

I'd be terrified of running into a Giant Schnauzer pokemon, I mean, my puppy + pokemon moves!?

Demonblast
5th October 2010, 4:31 AM

Just a note, Emonga can't learn Fly. Lol. Actually, the only flying move that Emonga can learn via level up is Acrobat.

Lorde
5th October 2010, 5:38 AM
Just a note, Emonga can't learn Fly. Lol. Actually, the only flying move that Emonga can learn via level up is Acrobat.

Really? It can't learn Fly, yet it has the skin flaps that enable it to glide around. I would have thought that gliding from place to place would be as effective as flying from place to place. Here I thought Game Freak had given us the first interesting regional electric rodent since Pichu and they go ahead and leave it with a crappy movepool and the inability to learn Fly. Well so much for Emonga revolutionizing the electric rodent world. *Tosses Emonga out the window*

R_N
5th October 2010, 5:49 AM
Really? It can't learn Fly, yet it has the skin flaps that enable it to glide around. I would have thought that gliding from place to place would be as effective as flying from place to place. Here I thought Game Freak had given us the first interesting regional electric rodent since Pichu and they go ahead and leave it with a crappy movepool and the inability to learn Fly. Well so much for Emonga revolutionizing the electric rodent world. *Tosses Emonga out the window*

I don't see why you thought Emonga would get fly. Gligar & Gliscour didn't.

And Emonga is pretty good. It has amazing speed (103), and very respectable attacking stats (75 in both). That's higher speed then any previous Electric rodent (including Raichu!), ties with Minun's special, only 10 lower then Plusle's special, and like 20 higher then Pikachu. And that's just on his own. Plusle & Minun need Plus & Minus and in a Double battle for max effectiveness, and Pikachu either needs to evolve or use a Light Ball.

AND it has a respectable movepool. Volt Change, Eleball, Acrobat, Discharge, Pursuit, Light Screen, Encore are all fine and dandy. Egg moves wise it can get Roost & Air Slash. With TMs it can get Taunt & Thunderwave for even more support, not to mention U-Turn. Maybe Wild Bolt if you want to go Physical, though there's also Thunderbolt if you so choose.

Demonblast
5th October 2010, 5:55 AM
Personally, I find Denchura or Shibirudon a lot more pleasing than Emonga. No matter how versatile it may be, it's too much of a glass cannon. Denchura has a nifty ability and an amazing move set while Shibirudon has no weakness.

I also believe that when you're comparing with Pikachu, you really should compare with a light ball Pikachu because I don't know what else it'd be holding. Lol.

jaxonferz
5th October 2010, 5:56 AM
I don't see why you thought Emonga would get fly. Gligar & Gliscour didn't.

And Emonga is pretty good. It has amazing speed (103), and very respectable attacking stats (75 in both). That's higher speed then any previous Electric rodent (including Raichu!), ties with Minun's special, only 10 lower then Plusle's special, and like 20 higher then Pikachu. And that's just on his own. Plusle & Minun need Plus & Minus and in a Double battle for max effectiveness, and Pikachu either needs to evolve or use a Light Ball.

AND it has a respectable movepool. Volt Change, Eleball, Acrobat, Discharge, Pursuit, Light Screen, Encore are all fine and dandy. Egg moves wise it can get Roost & Air Slash. With TMs it can get Taunt & Thunderwave for even more support, not to mention U-Turn. Maybe Wild Bolt if you want to go Physical, though there's also Thunderbolt if you so choose.

but it can't fly...

BCVM22
5th October 2010, 5:58 AM
As he pointed out, neither could Gligar and Gliscor, also both of the Flying-type.

Lorde
5th October 2010, 5:59 AM
Personally, I find Denchura or Shibirudon a lot more pleasing than Emonga. No matter how versatile it may be, it's too much of a glass cannon. Denchura has a nifty ability and an amazing move set while Shibirudon has no weakness.

Yeah Denchura and Shibirudon are pretty cool in battle, but they don't have that "cuteness" factor I'm searching for. Emonga did and just when I was planning to put it to good use, I learn that it cannot learn Fly which was a set back. I had wanted a flying electric rodent for a while since I never did get a Flying Pikachu via PokeWalker. I suppose Emonga's stats aren't entirely bad but the "lack of Fly" thing put me off. At least Shibirudon dances in the games, that's something :)

Demonblast
5th October 2010, 6:05 AM
but it can't fly...

Flying squirrels don't fly, they glide. Now, time to break the laws of sanity and introduce a little bit of logic into this. If you, the 50kg trainer, sits on an Emonga that is 5kg and you expect it to glide...

Sure, flying on another 5kg Pokemon that could fly is fine, but Emonga? No.
It's just with gliding. Gamefreak just doesn't give Pokemon that glide Fly.

Rakurai
5th October 2010, 6:14 AM
It only recently occurred to me that Bachuru is the new smallest Pokemon, having a size of approximately five inches, compared to Diglett's size of eight inches.

I look forward to seeing it battle in the inevitable 3D title.

R_N
5th October 2010, 6:25 AM
It only recently occurred to me that Bachuru is the new smallest Pokemon, having a size of approximately five inches, compared to Diglett's size of eight inches.

Which one is that again?

Also I really hope they unveil PBR2 or whatever soon~
So many Pokemon I want to see in motion! Also the Rotom forms, Skymin, and GiratinO

BCVM22
5th October 2010, 6:28 AM
Lil' spider.

Demonblast
5th October 2010, 6:29 AM
Not quite surprised regarding that. It would be quite creepy to see an enormous spider that is a pre-evo. *cough* Spinarak *cough* Gamefreak seems to be basing a lot of their Pokemon on animals in this generation.

SHIFTER01
5th October 2010, 6:30 AM

I... think I like Bachula a lot more now. I mean it was already great, but only 5 inches tall? that's awesome. lol

;136; Dude

MetalFlygon08
Off topic, how do you unlock the form button, where is it on the page, and how do you work it? It relates to pokemon becuase it will make the ripping of the animations for you guys loads easier.

Ophie
Wow, that thing's tiny. You're right. I want to see it in a 3-D game now to see that tiny thing go up against stuff. Like Wailmer.

(Also, Doduo and Dodrio can use Fly, yet they don't even have any noticeable wings.)

Hey, why not? Let's throw in Yabakuron and we can have the Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Demonblast
5th October 2010, 6:33 AM
Meh, let's simply drop the flying thing. Gamefreak is just extremely confusing XD
They give Gobitto fly and they don't give Emonga fly XD
Oh well, have it your way Gamefreak.

R_N
5th October 2010, 6:34 AM
Wow, that thing's tiny. You're right. I want to see it in a 3-D game now to see that tiny thing go up against stuff. Like Wailmer.

(Also, Doduo and Dodrio can use Fly, yet they don't even have any noticeable wings.)

Hey, why not? Let's throw in Yabakuron and we can have the Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Doduo & Dodrio can jump hella high, though, and Fly's name can also be read as "Sky Jump"

So it's a pun, I guess, that was never used again.

BCVM22
5th October 2010, 6:34 AM
Gobitto and Goruggo are the love-children of the classical Hebrew golem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem) and Japanese flying robots like Gigantor. Fly makes sense for them.

Ophie
5th October 2010, 7:58 AM
I would've been neat, then, if any Pokémon who could learn Bounce could also use Fly. I would have certainly appreciated a Lopunny who could use such a move, or Grumpig.

R_N
5th October 2010, 8:05 AM
Hey, so, remember when people thought Shanderra would be OMG SO BROKEN?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79060&page=15

I wish I could say I was shocked.

Nacreous
5th October 2010, 8:07 AM
I'm surprized of how many Bug types are this gen and some of them are really powerful

Rakurai
5th October 2010, 8:19 AM
The early Bug types in this gen do have far more respectable stats then those in the previous games. Though I'd guess it's partly because they don't evolve at extremely low levels anymore.

Royalty
5th October 2010, 9:01 AM

That just makes the little thing so much cuter! I want one even more now!

And someone stated earlier that Shibirudon has no weakness (unless gravity hits it). I never realized that. That actually makes it pretty sweet. I might actually consider it. What is it based on by the way? It just looks like something wicked and super scary to find in the water.

Lorde
5th October 2010, 9:06 AM
And someone stated earlier that Shibirudon has no weakness (unless gravity hits it). I never realized that. That actually makes it pretty sweet. I might actually consider it. What is it based on by the way? It just looks like something wicked and super scary to find in the water.

Shibirudon is likely based on a lamprey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamprey), which is a type of jawless fish. In my honest opinion, the creature that Shibirudon and it's evolutionary line are based upon is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, but the Pokemon are actually quite adorable in the right light. I hadn't even realized it had no weaknesses normally. Sounds like an added bonus there :3

Royalty
5th October 2010, 9:41 AM
Shibirudon is likely based on a lamprey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamprey), which is a type of jawless fish. In my honest opinion, the creature that Shibirudon and it's evolutionary line are based upon is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, but the Pokemon are actually quite adorable in the right light. I hadn't even realized it had no weaknesses normally. Sounds like an added bonus there :3

EEW!!! I'd never heard of those before!!! They look like something thought up in a nightmare or horror movie.

...It kinda makes me like Shibirudon more and less at the same time.

Thanks for telling me though :)

ryodragonite
5th October 2010, 11:27 AM
EEW!!! I'd never heard of those before!!! They look like something thought up in a nightmare or horror movie.

...It kinda makes me like Shibirudon more and less at the same time.

Thanks for telling me though :)

I still dont like it. Some day those animals will get legs and walk on land trying to take over the world.

Pokemon generation 5 is just one of their many plot holes.

Mrpregnant
5th October 2010, 11:53 AM
I want to trade my darkrai for an arceus. PM if ur keen

Rakurai
5th October 2010, 12:16 PM
I always see Borutorosu, Torunerosu, and Randorosu being referred to as genies, but their design seems to be mostly based on this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raijin).

Endless
5th October 2010, 3:14 PM
I always see Borutorosu, Torunerosu, and Randorosu being referred to as genies, but their design seems to be mostly based on this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raijin).
Borutorosu is ideed based on Raijin, but Torunerosu is based on Fujin. Somebody mentioned a earth God in Japan that maybe Randorosu is based on. But I don't see the problem with genies as God's is strange and weather is already taken.

RedMage23
5th October 2010, 3:40 PM
They're based on gods, and you can call them gods if you want, but there really are no gods in Pokemon... there's just Pokemon. They represent Thunder (which I though Raikou already had covered), Land (I thought that was Groudon), and Air (I thought that was Rayquaza).

Royalty
5th October 2010, 3:43 PM
I still dont like it. Some day those animals will get legs and walk on land trying to take over the world.

Pokemon generation 5 is just one of their many plot holes.

Or worse, what if first they gain the ability to levitate? ;) I'd imagine the only reason they'd grow arms and legs is to pin things down before latching on.

Endless
5th October 2010, 4:00 PM
They're based on gods, and you can call them gods if you want, but there really are no gods in Pokemon... there's just Pokemon. They represent Thunder (which I though Raikou already had covered), Land (I thought that was Groudon), and Air (I thought that was Rayquaza).
All legendaries doesn't represent anything. Raikou repesent the lightningblot that stuck Brass Tower, but is no "god" of thunder and neither does it represents it.
Groudon indeed controls the ground and represent the ground, but who said that Landros did so,the only thing it does(as far as I know)is to make good harvests. Rayquasa does not represent air, if it have to reprsent anything, it would be the ozone layer, and it only controls Groudon and Kyogre. And Torunerosu seems to represent wind or clouds and not air itself. But as I sad not every Legendary have to represent anything.

PFrog
5th October 2010, 4:43 PM

I hate the way all of them, they need to be re-styled before they come to the American Version. They are ugly and don't even look like Pokemon.

Nacreous
5th October 2010, 5:35 PM
I hate the way all of them, they need to be re-styled before they come to the American Version. They are ugly and don't even look like Pokemon.

Not everything has to be pretty

1ee7leader
5th October 2010, 6:13 PM

Really?

Tell me, what is a Pokemon SUPPOSED to look like?

Hmm?

RedMage23
5th October 2010, 6:21 PM
Really?

Tell me, what is a Pokemon SUPPOSED to look like?

Hmm?

This (http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/MyAlbum_01/Nodpoke.jpg) is what a Pokemon is supposed to look like.

LexSuicune
5th October 2010, 6:37 PM
What I hate about the Raijin trio is their design, they had an opportunity to make'em look godly and yet they look comical.

Lorde
5th October 2010, 8:01 PM

I know, they're based on a Japanese legend more than some other kind of legend, but it is so much easier for people in the U.S. to just say "Genie" rather than "Raijin". I still haven't memorized their names though; seeing as how they all look the same to me and I cannot tell Randorosu from Borutorosu and so forth. Anyone know a way to memorize the names?

7 tyranitars
5th October 2010, 8:04 PM
I know, they're based on a Japanese legend more than some other kind of legend, but it is so much easier for people in the U.S. to just say "Genie" rather than "Raijin". I still haven't memorized their names though; seeing as how they all look the same to me and I cannot tell Randorosu from Borutorosu and so forth. Anyone know a way to memorize the names?

just don't memorise them and wait till the english names come out that's how I'm gonna do it this time ^^

Endless
5th October 2010, 8:10 PM
The best I can think of is Randorosu(Rand/Land looks quite alike and land also refers to it's grouind type) and Torunerosu( the Thor part of it's name may refer to tornado that also fits it pure flying type). No idea about Borutorosu though.

Absolutely Absol
5th October 2010, 8:14 PM
Why do some people say new Pokémon designs are ugly?

C'mon, they're supposed to be ugly and look intimidating. Can you make trash bag Pokémon beautiful? How about Muk? Can it turn into bishouen? Gyarados?

Same to real life. Look at baby crocodile. It's cute but it grows into ugly, intimidating reptile.

Of course, some Pokémon become awesome and cool. Same to real life, German Shepherd puppy becomes awesome looking dog.

Pokémon should be beautiful, cool, intimidating and ugly.

Endless
5th October 2010, 8:18 PM
Why do some people say new Pokémon designs are ugly?

C'mon, they're supposed to be ugly and look intimidating. Can you make trash bag Pokémon beautiful? How about Muk? Can it turn into bishouen? Gyarados?

Same to real life. Look at baby crocodile. It's cute but it grows into ugly, intimidating reptile.

Of course, some Pokémon become awesome and cool. Same to real life, German Shepherd puppy becomes awesome looking dog.

Pokémon should be beautiful, cool, intimidating and ugly.
Ever heard of the nostalgia goggles? Alot of people here wear them.

Lorde
5th October 2010, 8:20 PM
The best I can think of is Randorosu(Rand/Land looks quite alike and land also refers to it's grouind type) and Torunerosu( the Thor part of it's name may refer to tornado that also fits it pure flying type). No idea about Borutorosu though.

Oh ok I guess that fits a bit haha. I hadn't noticed that before so it's new to me. So then if Randorosu is the Land Raijin Pokemon (Ground and Flying-type), Torunerosu is the Tornado Raijin Pokemon (Flying-type), then maybe Borutorosu is the Bolt/Volt Raijin Pokemon (Electric and Flying-type)? Since "Boruto" sounds like Volt/Bolt to me.

Slowemperor
5th October 2010, 8:23 PM
Oh ok I guess that fits a bit haha. I hadn't noticed that before so it's new to me. So then if Randorosu is the Land Raijin Pokemon (Ground and Flying-type), Torunerosu is the Tornado Raijin Pokemon (Flying-type), then maybe Borutorosu is the Bolt/Volt Raijin Pokemon (Electric and Flying-type)? Since "Boruto" sounds like Volt/Bolt to me.

Pokebeach translated their names to Landros, Torneros and Voltros. I kept those, look more western.

Endless
5th October 2010, 8:29 PM
Yeah, however I see it somewhat wrong to call all of them a Raijin(as Rai means Lightning and Raijin is the thunder God) and Borutorosu is clearly based on Fujin(the wind god), However Randorosu doesn't fit in the duo.

Royalty
5th October 2010, 8:34 PM
I originally was against their design too. I didn't like how it just looked like a re-color of the same sprite. After looking at them more, there are the subtle differences. It's just that they are too subtle for me to really appreciate them. But when I look at the images of what they are based off of, I like and appreciate them even more. When I can finally see them and play them in game, I'm sure that I'll have totally forgotten all about the qualms I have/had about them.

Actually looking at them and just accepting them as they are, I like the Electric one the most because of the coloring, the subtle differences, and the type combo. Yet another reason why I want Pokemon White.

Eivui
5th October 2010, 9:24 PM
I'm personally not fond of the Storm Trio (or whatever the accurate term would be). They're alright, but they seem too similar (I know there are small differences and they are different in motion, but for the most part they look like simple recolors). Pure Flying type is pretty neat, though.

For the most part I love Gen V. I like 90&#37; of the pokemon introduced into it, and my new favorite (Gochiruzeru) has been given to us too.

Dr. Leggs
5th October 2010, 9:28 PM
Pokebeach translated their names to Landros, Torneros and Voltros. I kept those, look more western.

Considering that, for the most part, legendaries keep their names through translations (exceptions being the legendary birds, Azelf and Mesprit), I'm assuming the English names will be along the lines of Landros/oth, Torneros/oth, etc.

Interestingly enough, they're all starting to grow on me; their lack of difference in sprites is displeasing, but when you actually look at them, they're no more similar than the Lake Trio (who shared identically about 70% of their bodies). Voltros in particular is warming up to me.

lindsy95
5th October 2010, 9:40 PM
My main beef is the fact that theyre recolors, I've no problem with them sharing body shape.
I got over it tho.

Lorde
5th October 2010, 9:40 PM
http://floatzel.net/pokemon/black-white/sprites/images/616.pnghttp://floatzel.net/pokemon/black-white/sprites/images/588.png

Anyway, there's some interesting stuff regarding these highly-ignored Bug-type Pokemon, in Japan at least. Apparently, they're holding an event for Chobomaki and Kaburumo in Kyoto to promote Pokemon Black and White. It's part of some sort of student festival that acts as a get-together for students in colleges and universities in the Kyoto area. The students are invited to come and trade their Pokemon with each other during the festival. It's going to be held on October 10th and there will apparently be other Pokemon up for trade but the main focus seems to be the "mystery" Pokemon, Chobomaki and Kaburumo. They're covered by the poster's "spoiler tags", but you can make out their silhouettes so you know they're going to be featured as the stars.

Here's (http://www.pokemon-sp.jp/news-sp/2010/09/0924_01.html) the official site for the Chobomaki and Kaburumo event and the poster (http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab311/deliaoak/JPNTradeforEvolutioneventinKyoto.png) which says something along the lines of what I summarized and typed. Pretty cool I think, since these two don't have many fans around to begin with. I'm jealous that Japan gets cool events like this :[

ryodragonite
5th October 2010, 9:41 PM
Or worse, what if first they gain the ability to levitate? ;) I'd imagine the only reason they'd grow arms and legs is to pin things down before latching on.

Oh gosh. Thanks for that disturbing thought.

Considering that, for the most part, legendaries keep their names through translations (exceptions being the legendary birds, Azelf and Mesprit), I'm assuming the English names will be along the lines of Landros/oth, Torneros/oth, etc.

Interestingly enough, they're all starting to grow on me; their lack of difference in sprites is displeasing, but when you actually look at them, they're no more similar than the Lake Trio (who shared identically about 70% of their bodies). Voltros in particular is warming up to me.

Its a pretty stupid design. There pretty much just recolored and have a different arm design. But I still like the wind one. It looks pretty cool.

Lord Aipom
5th October 2010, 9:41 PM
Oh man.. where are the Sugimori art for these awesome creations? :D

Lorde
5th October 2010, 9:46 PM
Oh man.. where are the Sugimori art for these awesome creations? :D

Most of them don't have Sugimori artwork unfortunately. I'm assuming they'll get artwork soon via the Black and White game guidebooks that will be released in the coming months though. That's something haha. I'm pretty sure Chobomaki and Kaburumo will have their artwork revealed at the event I posted about though, so it won't be too long if you're a Chobomaki and Kaburumo fan :x

Varnani
5th October 2010, 9:52 PM
Well that trio is quite the controversy lol but it's just a thing of liking that very direct unity between them or not.

razz

Dr. Leggs
5th October 2010, 10:45 PM
I do think they look a little humanoid for my tastes (like Dageki and Nageki, who continue to be my least favourite Gen. V Pokemon). But the whole Raijin/Fuujin concept is cool, and myself being a mythology fan, so I can forgive their somewhat strange designs.

Aether13
5th October 2010, 10:50 PM
I personally like the Genie Trio, sure Nintendo obviously got lazy with there designs but in all they are 3 pretty cool pokemon

Mr. E Goods
5th October 2010, 11:01 PM
I might have liked them if they were all one pokemon that can change forms.... But no they have to be identical with different colours.

LegitEagle
5th October 2010, 11:09 PM
Hey guys, I was disapointed at pokemon competitive scene so i decided to do challenges. I was hoping someone could choose some pokemon for me. May be 1 person chooses 1 pokemon or 1 person chooses all w/e.
However i have a classification:
1- Badass/Cool-looking pokemon (Like not strong, but cool like Nattorei)
2- Cutest pokemon
3- Ugliest pokemon
4- Worst Pokemon (Type + Moves + Stats, not only stats please)
5- Best Pokemon (Type + Moves + Stats, not only stats please)
The sixth pokemon is jaroda(i wanna start with all starters)
I would also appreciate if you chose one different from my sig team.
A Challenge game thread would be cool but i assume they won't come till english version is out. Thanks in advance.

OT: About this discussion of the similar looking trio, i don't mind at all, i think their differences are enough(body, color and type) and their roles are different too.
You could say all trios are the same, they have the same base in each game, the only difference now is that the non-base design are very few ones. (tail, hair and color). Also as Varnani said, it gives them a look of brotherhood, or maybe 1 legendary split into 3 to make their job easier. I accept all your opinions im just giving mine.

R_N
5th October 2010, 11:36 PM
http://floatzel.net/pokemon/black-white/sprites/images/616.pnghttp://floatzel.net/pokemon/black-white/sprites/images/588.png

Anyway, there's some interesting stuff regarding these highly-ignored Bug-type Pokemon, in Japan at least. Apparently, they're holding an event for Chobomaki and Kaburumo in Kyoto to promote Pokemon Black and White. It's part of some sort of student festival that acts as a get-together for students in colleges and universities in the Kyoto area. The students are invited to come and trade their Pokemon with each other during the festival. It's going to be held on October 10th and there will apparently be other Pokemon up for trade but the main focus seems to be the "mystery" Pokemon, Chobomaki and Kaburumo. They're covered by the poster's "spoiler tags", but you can make out their silhouettes so you know they're going to be featured as the stars.

Here's (http://www.pokemon-sp.jp/news-sp/2010/09/0924_01.html) the official site for the Chobomaki and Kaburumo event and the poster (http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab311/deliaoak/JPNTradeforEvolutioneventinKyoto.png) which says something along the lines of what I summarized and typed. Pretty cool I think, since these two don't have many fans around to begin with. I'm jealous that Japan gets cool events like this :[
Well that's pretty cool.
Though I'm baffled as to why they're treating the two as MYSTERIOUS POKEMON~ since the games have been out for two weeks and most people have probably seen them.

Also weird: That they're the only 5th gen Pokemon on there. I know there's at least two other trade evos this gen.

Royalty
5th October 2010, 11:50 PM
I have another "What are they" question.
Kojofuu and Kojondo
They look like a mix of a few animals, but the long extension of the arm and whiskers kind of throw me off. Whatever they are I like them cause Kojondo looks rather graceful and elegant for a fighting type.

Trainer Nessa
5th October 2010, 11:51 PM
Hey guys, I was disapointed at pokemon competitive scene so i decided to do challenges. I was hoping someone could choose some pokemon for me. May be 1 person chooses 1 pokemon or 1 person chooses all w/e.
However i have a classification:
1- Badass/Cool-looking pokemon (Like not strong, but cool like Nattorei)
2- Cutest pokemon
3- Ugliest pokemon
4- Worst Pokemon (Type + Moves + Stats, not only stats please)
5- Best Pokemon (Type + Moves + Stats, not only stats please)
The sixth pokemon is jaroda(i wanna start with all starters)
I would also appreciate if you chose one different from my sig team.
A Challenge game thread would be cool but i assume they won't come till english version is out. Thanks in advance.

OT: About this discussion of the similar looking trio, i don't mind at all, i think their differences are enough(body, color and type) and their roles are different too.
You could say all trios are the same, they have the same base in each game, the only difference now is that the non-base design are very few ones. (tail, hair and color). Also as Varnani said, it gives them a look of brotherhood, or maybe 1 legendary split into 3 to make their job easier. I accept all your opinions im just giving mine.

I would vote:

1: Gorog
2: Kokoromori
3: Maggyo
4: Dasutodasu
5: Chandelar

Lorde
5th October 2010, 11:54 PM
I have another "What are they" question.
Kojofuu and Kojondo
They look like a mix of a few animals, but the long extension of the arm and whiskers kind of throw me off. Whatever they are I like them cause Kojondo looks rather graceful and elegant for a fighting type.

I believe they're based on weasels and some form of oriental martial arts. That's what I've assumed they were based upon since I first saw their sprites about a month ago when they leaked. They look like weasels for sure and they have the Fighting-type so it sort of fits. I don't know if it's official though.

BCVM22
5th October 2010, 11:55 PM
But no they have to be identical with different colours.

With different typings, different movesets, different animations and partial version exclusivity.

The only thing more unoriginal than their stationary poses - the only thing that's identical among all three, and seen only in the Pokédex at that - is the continued complaining.

LegitEagle
5th October 2010, 11:59 PM
I do think they look a little humanoid for my tastes (like Dageki and Nageki, who continue to be my least favourite Gen. V Pokemon). But the whole Raijin/Fuujin concept is cool, and myself being a mythology fan, so I can forgive their somewhat strange designs.

LoL, dageki is one of my Favs, the only problem is that i need an explanation to their clothes, like it's some kind of hair or skin or maybe their families make those clothes w/e.

EDIT: Thanks Trainer Nessa, you had to choose maggyo :P xD

Royalty
6th October 2010, 12:09 AM
I believe they're based on weasels and some form of oriental martial arts. That's what I've assumed they were based upon since I first saw their sprites about a month ago when they leaked. They look like weasels for sure and they have the Fighting-type so it sort of fits. I don't know if it's official though.

Oh, ok. I can see it actually. (When you said weasels, an image of the ones from Who Framed Roger Rabbit popped in to my head. Granted they are totally different designs, the faces and bodies make me see it.)
Cool beans. Thank you. :)

lindsy95
6th October 2010, 12:41 AM
With different typings, different movesets, different animations and partial version exclusivity.

The only thing more unoriginal than their stationary poses - the only thing that's identical among all three, and seen only in the Pokédex at that - is the continued complaining.

Can you post a video/Gif/whatever of their animaitons? I wanna see them :3

BCVM22
6th October 2010, 1:19 AM
Uno (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoEb8Bcd3rA)
Dos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omPAKJVeBr4)
Tres (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87GsdKpQBfA)

R_N
6th October 2010, 1:35 AM

Those aren't as varied as I had hoped.

I figured at least one would move their torso or arms.

Ah well.

El Hombre
6th October 2010, 2:08 AM
I like how the one's sprite slowly gets dark red. I wonder why...

R_N
6th October 2010, 2:18 AM

It was burned

ryodragonite
6th October 2010, 2:26 AM

Because they couldnt find a decent pose for him. JK.

I like them a lot more now. For some reason seeing a pokemon move in an actual battle makes them seem much cooler.

R_N
6th October 2010, 2:29 AM
Pokemon will also turn purple when poisoned & close their eyes when asleep

MetalFlygon08
6th October 2010, 2:31 AM
and glow yellow when paralyzed.

The eye thing is not for every pokemon though. But a status usually slows down the animation (though burn should in theory speed it up)

TheAncient
6th October 2010, 2:39 AM
I find this strange but, when I first saw the icicle, ice cream pokemon, I absolutly despised him. But now....he's starting to grow on me. I guess its the same with any new generation.

RedMage23
6th October 2010, 2:42 AM
Love the Ice Cream Cone, I just wish its shiny sprite was a different flavor... I'd want a strawberry one.

Atreyu
6th October 2010, 3:39 AM
"What can I get for you, sir?"
"One ice-cream, please."
"One scoop or two?"

RedMage23
6th October 2010, 3:41 AM
I'm sorry, you can't get two scoops until your ice cream is at level 47.

CyndaquilRules
6th October 2010, 3:43 AM
Well then, I'd like some rare candy to.

MetalFlygon08
6th October 2010, 4:34 AM
ah, but our special flavor today is everstone road!

Moonlight_Tails
6th October 2010, 4:48 AM
Ice Cream Pokemon with Lava Cookies please LOL

Ememew
6th October 2010, 4:48 AM
From ice puns about Kyurem on the Legendary discussion the other day to this here . . . what's with the ice Pokemon jokes?

Cool it with the bad puns . . . (ok, that was bad, too).

Anyway, some Pokemon this gen have . . . odd origins (the garbage bag and ice cream being inanimate objects that came to life as Pokemon, for example). Natural and unnatural Pokemon add more diversity to the Pokemon world. It's been a while since we've had unnatural Pokemon (discounting Porygon's evos because I'm only counting when the evolutionary line first appeared). The last ones were all in the first Gen, right (I think Grimer, Voltorb, Porygon, and Mewtwo)? Unless I'm forgetting some from later.

LexSuicune
6th October 2010, 4:49 AM

That can't be right, that Voltros is LV100! WTF

R_N
6th October 2010, 4:54 AM

Presumably the person used a wild Pokemon modifier code for demonstration purposes

Rakurai
6th October 2010, 4:57 AM

Yeah. It's hacked.

Also evident in the fact that it didn't use the special encounter sequence that it usually does for legends, and the lack of the legendary theme.

Pretty useless "how to catch" videos when the player isn't even catching the Pokemon at their proper locations to show where they're located or anything.

RedMage23
6th October 2010, 5:21 AM
I love Ice Pokemon. I wish there was an Ice/Fighting Pokemon, that would be my favorite Pokemon.

Varnani
6th October 2010, 5:27 AM
Anyway, some Pokemon this gen have . . . odd origins (the garbage bag and ice cream being inanimate objects that came to life as Pokemon, for example). Natural and unnatural Pokemon add more diversity to the Pokemon world. It's been a while since we've had unnatural Pokemon (discounting Porygon's evos because I'm only counting when the evolutionary line first appeared). The last ones were all in the first Gen, right (I think Grimer, Voltorb, Porygon, and Mewtwo)? Unless I'm forgetting some from later.

Really? What about Bronzor or Beldum? I think those come from inanimate objects as well o_o

razz

Ememew
6th October 2010, 5:33 AM
I mean ones where the PokeDex description implies that they were inanimate objects that came to life (Grimer, I think, and Voltorb) and/or were man-made (Porygon/Mewtwo). I don't remember Bronzor or Beldum having such descriptions, but I could be wrong.

Vascals
6th October 2010, 5:48 AM
I mean ones where the PokeDex description implies that they were inanimate objects that came to life (Grimer, I think, and Voltorb) and/or were man-made (Porygon/Mewtwo). I don't remember Bronzor or Beldum having such descriptions, but I could be wrong.

We had banette (doll that came to life) and Castform (manmade) in 3rd gen.

MetalFlygon08
6th October 2010, 6:16 AM
And the Regi's are hinted at being manmade keys to Regigigas.

Royalty
6th October 2010, 8:19 AM
(I said this somewhere else in this forum, but Ill say it again)
Honestly, I like the design of the trash bags, but they make me SO UNCOMFORTABLE!!!! I don't quite know where this completely irrational phobia came from, but I am so ridiculously afraid of mold.
When I first read that there was a "trash bag" pokemon, I kind of winced and felt reserved and grossed out by it. But after I first saw the trash bag...I really feel so uncomfortable by it. I can handle the tiny one, but it's the big one that just creeps me out. I keep thinking about trash that's been sitting there and growing enough mold to come alive. I just grossed myself out and need to go wash my hands.

It's stupid cause it's just a bunch of moving pixels, but still. When I know that I am in an area with a number of them, I'm just going to hide by a Psychic blasting out psychic attacks.

Clay Psyduck
6th October 2010, 8:46 AM
Not that this is related to anything currently being discussed, but I made this GIF in response to someone online earlier today.

I need to edit it a little, as I forgot to shade Chobomaki and to draw the belly on Kaburumo in the last part, as well as didn't get to make it so the text at the end stays there for a long enough time (though this was because Photoshop crashed in the process of making it).

http://i51.*******.com/2cxgv1w.gif

The inspiration was that someone wanted a picture of Kaburumo trying to use Ishizumai's shell to evolve. I took it a step further and made a terrible animated gif of the event occurring and then Chobomaki being like "what? No"

Ophie
6th October 2010, 12:05 PM
Looking at Pok&#233;arth, the trash bag Pok&#233;mon will indeed be pretty common, at least as a mid-game Pok&#233;mon. I hope you don't go up against a human player with one, in that case.

Some_Chick
6th October 2010, 12:37 PM
if you just play the story you almost never see the trashbag pokemon until after 5 or 6 badges. then Plasma grunts start having them, although its still rare. they mostly have the ground croc and psycho gerbil. still, its on the rare side.

to be honest i only really REMEMBER the ones the grunts had and among plasma, theyre rare. so i guess thats a positive thing. they only have the pre-evo so theyre pretty easy to casually one-shot if you don't like looking at em.

Rakurai
6th October 2010, 1:02 PM
A couple of them have the evolved form of it, actually.

They got OHKO'd regardless, though.

Nacreous
6th October 2010, 4:27 PM
When will we get CoroCoro stuff?

R_N
6th October 2010, 4:51 PM

About a week.
No guarantees any Pokemon site will actually post them, though.

mickey
6th October 2010, 7:22 PM
I think that european sites will.

I've not heard from any european Pok&#233;mon site that Nintendo contact them...And if I'm not wrong, in the letter posted by PokeBeach Nintendo said that "American" law forbid those kind of things.. Are Pok&#233;Beach and Serebii american websites? &#176;&#176;

Shine
6th October 2010, 7:31 PM
Honestly, I like the design of the trash bags, but they make me SO UNCOMFORTABLE!!!! I don't quite know where this completely irrational phobia came from, but I am so ridiculously afraid of mold.
When I first read that there was a "trash bag" pokemon, I kind of winced and felt reserved and grossed out by it. But after I first saw the trash bag...I really feel so uncomfortable by it. I can handle the tiny one, but it's the big one that just creeps me out. I keep thinking about trash that's been sitting there and growing enough mold to come alive. I just grossed myself out and need to go wash my hands.

funny thing is that a female Plasma Grunt has a Dasutodasu (the big one) - and on top of that, it's her only Pokemon.

I honestly didn't expect Game Freak to give that to a female grunt lol

by the way, Dasutodasu isn't a trash bag - it's even larger. It's a Dump Site Pokemon.

Lorde
6th October 2010, 7:35 PM

You mean the scans of pages and stuff? Sometime this week I believe. I don't think it'll contain too many new things regarding the new Pokemon and stuff but it'll probably have some new Ken Sugimori artwork at the least. That's all it could have to be honest since we know most of the other stuff now. Chobomaki and Kaburumo might have their artwork released on the 10th in that Japanese event though :p

Nacreous
6th October 2010, 8:33 PM
You mean the scans of pages and stuff? Sometime this week I believe. I don't think it'll contain too many new things regarding the new Pokemon and stuff but it'll probably have some new Ken Sugimori artwork at the least. That's all it could have to be honest since we know most of the other stuff now :p

Yeah,I just wanna see more sugimori art of the new pkmn>.>Most of them will look 10 times better than in sprite mode

off topic:u have how many posts?O.O

LexSuicune
6th October 2010, 9:35 PM
Any idea when we'll be getting some Sugimori art?

Lorde
6th October 2010, 9:38 PM
Any idea when we'll be getting some Sugimori art?

This week or next week at the latest. Coro Coro will be released soon and we sort of expect some Ken Sugimori artwork. As for the full artwork for the Isshu Pokemon, don't expect that for another month or so since the guidebooks for Black and White will be released in November from what I've heard and it will contain all of the artwork for the Isshu Pokemon ( except Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect, whose artwork will not be published until later). Also this:

Chobomaki and Kaburumo might have their artwork released on the 10th in that Japanese event though :p

Dr. Leggs
6th October 2010, 11:12 PM
And the Regi's are hinted at being manmade keys to Regigigas.

What? The Regis were made by Regigigas.

It's never hinted that people made them.

Ophie
6th October 2010, 11:15 PM
I still find it kind of funny that the Japanese need to wait for so long to get the guides, whereas here in America, not only do we get them the day the games come out (or even before the games come out), a few stores around here become overstocked with them and just give them away for free with the games.

Lorde
6th October 2010, 11:26 PM
I still find it kind of funny that the Japanese need to wait for so long to get the guides, whereas here in America, not only do we get them the day the games come out (or even before the games come out), a few stores around here become overstocked with them and just give them away for free with the games.

It's not too ironic though. It seems like Japan gets the guidebooks later because there are people actually playing through the game to document item/Pokemon/character locations, maps, statistics, etc. By the time the games are released outside of Japan, all of the information has already been discovered so I'm assuming the U.S. guidebook companies just take all the information from the Japanese guidebooks and publish their own versions quickly because of that. I just hope we do get most of the Ken Sugimori artwork via the guidebooks. The Isshu Genie/Raijin trio need high quality artwork and fast :s

Ophie
7th October 2010, 12:13 AM
I'm sure they take the illustrations and map collages from what the Japanese have figured out, but if I recall correctly, the way western guide publishers like Prima work is that they get the game some time in advance, and the author needs to compile as much information on his or her own by some date before the game comes out.

For instance, Prima's guide on Pok&#233;mon FireRed/LeafGreen is miserable. While it's full of errors (such as listing some items as "Full Revive," Pidgey's rarity as "Only One," putting the wrong illustration for Golbat on Agatha's team, typoing some Pok&#233;mon names), it was quite obviously done completely in-house, with no Japanese collaboration or input, as the author seems to have played through the game as quickly as possible.

The guide encourages you to skip the area between Lavender Town and Fuchsia City because the Cycling Road is quicker, has no section for those Routes at all, does not cover the Sevii Islands, ends at the Elite Four (first visit), shows you how to skip as many Trainers as possible short of glitching (and has missing information on Trainers the author has presumably skipped), and simply gives you a short introduction and a type chart with a few errors before beginning the walkthrough (all other Pok&#233;mon guides I've read contain at least lists of methods of evolution, different ways to catch Pok&#233;mon, a list of TMs and HMs, a list of Key Items, a list of health and hold Items, and for 3rd-generation games, and a list of Berries and what they do).

It feels like it was done by someone who hates Pok&#233;mon and just rushed this out the door to get his commission.

R_N
7th October 2010, 12:30 AM
At least the Nintendo [power] guides have been getting better. I remember the Platinum guide was a giant brick.

I think the best guide makers were Versus. I loved their GS guide (2nd edition, anyway, the 1st sucked?) and their Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Advance guide was neato. Too bad they went under. They gave rundowns of everything findable on that route, full maps of them, trainer rosters (even sprites and money pay out!), the Pokemon you could find on any given route in percentages, and every Pokemon got a little blurb about its potential usefulness at that and future parts of the game. The back section before the dex even went into detail about a number of various features like Happiness, evolutions, tips for catching the dogs, etc. And the dex at the end didn't have the dumb stat pentagram and listed out the base stats instead.

Niiiifty

Cobalt_Latios
7th October 2010, 12:56 AM
At least the Nintendo [power] guides have been getting better. I remember the Platinum guide was a giant brick.
That thing is amazing. It covers everything. The only thing it's missing is trainer battles and maps that show where the trainers are. DP's guide had that, not sure why Platinum didn't.

I think the best guide makers were Versus. I loved their GS guide (2nd edition, anyway, the 1st sucked?) and their Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Advance guide was neato. Too bad they went under. They gave rundowns of everything findable on that route, full maps of them, trainer rosters (even sprites and money pay out!), the Pokemon you could find on any given route in percentages, and every Pokemon got a little blurb about its potential usefulness at that and future parts of the game. The back section before the dex even went into detail about a number of various features like Happiness, evolutions, tips for catching the dogs, etc. And the dex at the end didn't have the dumb stat pentagram and listed out the base stats instead.

Niiiifty
That's crazy! Imagine what they could do with stuff like DPPt and HGSS if they were still around. Those guides would be beast!

C_L

R_N
7th October 2010, 1:06 AM
I remember being super disappointed that I could never find a RS guide by them

And then I found out they went under, apparently, and : ( ensued

Isis-sama
7th October 2010, 1:11 AM
I loved the Versus guide for the original Gold and Silver, and I still have it.

Now the guides for some of the other games they covered I was less than perfectly satisfied with, but that's a topic for another thread.

CyndaquilRules
7th October 2010, 1:14 AM
Not that this is related to anything currently being discussed, but I made this GIF in response to someone online earlier today.

I need to edit it a little, as I forgot to shade Chobomaki and to draw the belly on Kaburumo in the last part, as well as didn't get to make it so the text at the end stays there for a long enough time (though this was because Photoshop crashed in the process of making it).

http://i51.*******.com/2cxgv1w.gif

The inspiration was that someone wanted a picture of Kaburumo trying to use Ishizumai's shell to evolve. I took it a step further and made a terrible animated gif of the event occurring and then Chobomaki being like "what? No"

Can't believe people aren't commenting on this, but it's amazing!

Lorde
7th October 2010, 1:20 AM
Can't believe people aren't commenting on this, but it's amazing!

Oh! I hadn't even noticed that cool animated GIF since most of the other posts were all about the game guidebooks and stuff haha. I love it! It's funny and cute at the same time. I did wonder what would have happened if Kaburumo tried to steal Ishizumai's shell rather than Chobomaki's. I thought maybe the anime would showcase it or something but this animated GIF is funnier than anything that the anime could come up with. Ishizumai's shell on Kaburumo's head, seriously awesome.

Also, what happened to the Ishizumai when the shell was removed, Clay Psyduck? :)

LexSuicune
7th October 2010, 2:49 AM
OMG that animation is fantastic XD I love that prissy looking bug.

Corroded Arceus
7th October 2010, 3:34 AM

I don't think that it's grown enough mold to come to life, more along the lines that some sort of radiation caused it to become alive, like Grimer. I have a mold phobia too, I can't look at the stuff without feeling sick to my stomach, but I think of trash heap dude like that and I like him as a result :)

El Hombre
7th October 2010, 3:46 AM
Also, what happened to the Ishizumai when the shell was removed, Clay Psyduck? :)
Krabby was born...

Royalty
7th October 2010, 4:02 AM
I don't think that it's grown enough mold to come to life, more along the lines that some sort of radiation caused it to become alive, like Grimer. I have a mold phobia too, I can't look at the stuff without feeling sick to my stomach, but I think of trash heap dude like that and I like him as a result :)

Hahaha! I like that one better. Now I can stomach seeing it if I think like that. But...then it's still trash. Eew. Gross. ;)

Ophie
7th October 2010, 5:17 AM
The Versus guides were very nice. The ones Prima have been releasing for the 4th generation have been very nice quality too. It's just...FireRed/LeafGreen was the anomaly. Here's a comparison of what they have:

Prima FireRed/LeafGreen Guide:
Introduction
How to use this book
Pokémon types
Type chart (no other context)
Where to find Pokémon (grass, fishing, surfing, evolution)
How Pokémon evolve (trading, stones)
(back of guide)
TMs
HMs
Berries
Advertisements

Prima Ruby/Sapphire Guide
Introduction
How to use this book
What's different in Generation III
Battle menu
Types of targeting in double battles
Status conditions
Type chart and how they work
Other ways to increase damage (STAB, critical hits, items, weather)
Physical vs. Special
TMs and HMs that can be used in the overworld
Natures and a Nature chart
Where to find Pokémon (grass, surfing, fishing, diving, Rock Smash, swarms, breeding)
Types of Poké Balls
How Pokémon evolve (level-up, preventing level-up evolution, stones, trading, Happiness, special cases--Wurmple, Feebas, Shedinja)
Breeding (passing down Egg Moves, passing down IVs, what will hatch, Egg Groups, Egg Group chart, hatching Eggs)
(back of guide)
Move chart for battle (name, type, base power, accuracy, PP, range in double battles, contact or not, TM/HM if any, additional effects)
TMs and HMs
Move chart for Contests (name, type, appeal points, counter points, additional effects)
Contest combos
Item chart for those that get used up
Berry chart
Hold Item chart
Key Item chart
Mail chart
Poké Ball chart
Secret Base Decorations
Wild Pokémon with Hold Items

I've seen the 4th generation guides too, and they get into stuff like EV-training and more tips, largely those introduced in that generation. I relaly hope Elizabeth Hollinger continues to write Pokémon guides, because it's pretty clear she genuinely enjoys Pokémon, knows a considerable amount of it, and can explain it in a way anyone can understand.

I say this because the 5th generation, while it hasn't been any less beginner-friendly than before, has introduced so many new abilities and the new moves are generally for experts only, so if Prima makes a guide for Black/White she should do it.

By the way, the Prima guides ARE the official guides--starting with Diamond/Pearl, Nintendo now commissions Prima to write guides instead of Nintendo Power. I don't know if Hollinger continues to write them though. Can anyone check?