PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

BCVM22
7th October 2010, 6:39 AM
I have both volumes of the "official" HG/SS guide in front of me here and they aren't Prima publications. The publishing is credited to TPCI themselves. I don't thnk they themselves literally published the guides, but the point was that they weren't Prima jobs.

You aren't strictly wrong - Nintendo has simply started stamping the Prima guides as official for Mario, Zelda and the rest - but I imagine The Pokémon Company exists both domestically and internationally largely for purposes just like this.

Royalty
7th October 2010, 6:44 AM
Honestly, I don't quite know why people buy the guides when they are able to find a lot of stuff online. If I ever have a question because I am just lost or want to find something, I just use Serebii or type it in the Google search bar like a question. Or, if I'm in a store and happen to remember, they are never wrapped in plastic.

Corroded Arceus
7th October 2010, 6:47 AM
Honestly, I don't quite know why people buy the guides when they are able to find a lot of stuff online. If I ever have a question because I am just lost or want to find something, I just use Serebii or type it in the Google search bar like a question. Or, if I'm in a store and happen to remember, they are never wrapped in plastic.

Sometimes it's more convenient to have the information in book form then go to the trouble of switching the computer on, waiting for it to load, etc. I also take my guides on holidays where I won't have computer access in case I get stuck.

Lorde
7th October 2010, 6:50 AM
I don't think that it's grown enough mold to come to life, more along the lines that some sort of radiation caused it to become alive, like Grimer. I have a mold phobia too, I can't look at the stuff without feeling sick to my stomach, but I think of trash heap dude like that and I like him as a result :)

Exposure to radiation created Pokemon like Grimer and now, Pokemon like Yabakuron and Dasutodasu? Could be. I always assumed that Pokemon like Yabakuron and Dasutodasu were just normal Pokemon that took on the shape of a garbage bag for the sake of protection, similar to camouflage. I didn't think they were actually just bags of muck that were created from radiation being introduced to the plastic bags. Interesting.

Ophie
7th October 2010, 6:51 AM
I do the same thing, which is why I even have these guides in the first place. (Well, the Ruby/Sapphire one I referenced came with my FireRed version, so I have two of them.) Sometimes, I want to know when some certain Pokémon learns a move, so I open up the guide and look it up. Way faster if I can't easily access my computer or if it's turned off.

So Nintendo actually publishes the Pokémon guides itself? I saw Prima's Pokémon guides calling itself official, so I thought that was what happened. The only SSBB guide there is is from Prima and is official though...and almost as inaccurate as the FireRed/LeafGreen guide. (An aside here: I think that guide was responsible for all those Pikachus spamming Thunder. The guide actually tells people to do it.)

BCVM22
7th October 2010, 6:55 AM
Not Nintendo (anymore); The Pokémon Company [International]. That's why a licensing arm exists for the franchise exists in the first place, so that the countless products with the Pokémon name on them can be either produced directly or at least overseen by one centralized body connected to the franchise.

Tyrannotaur
7th October 2010, 7:17 AM
Hey everyone. I searched for this but can't seem to find it. Have we discovered a place for Mageton, and Nosepass to evolve? What about Eevee into Glaceon or Leafeon? I know you can get any pokemon from Dream World. I also understand they changed how Feebas evolves, but have they made a spot/new way for the location evolutions?

Sorry if this is the wrong place. Would have posted it in the help thread, but I don't own the games and its not really a help request. I'm just curious. Would be lame to have to have 4th gen exclusive evolutions. Though I'm sure if there isn't a way to do so in the first games of gen 5, future installments will have a way. Thanks for any help.

-;248;

BCVM22
7th October 2010, 7:23 AM
Hey everyone. I searched for this but can't seem to find it.

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/evolution.shtml

Tyrannotaur
7th October 2010, 7:30 AM
I searched for this but can't seem to find it.
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/evolution.shtml

I meant I searched the forums. My apologies for not following Serebii's coverage to the letter and knowing every page he created. Whatever. Thanks for helping.

-;248;

R_N
7th October 2010, 7:43 AM
Exposure to radiation created Pokemon like Grimer and now, Pokemon like Yabakuron and Dasutodasu? Could be. I always assumed that Pokemon like Yabakuron and Dasutodasu were just normal Pokemon that took on the shape of a garbage bag for the sake of protection, similar to camouflage. I didn't think they were actually just bags of muck that were created from radiation being introduced to the plastic bags. Interesting.

Actually, Yabakuron is literally a garbage bag that came to life after a chemical change.

R_N
7th October 2010, 7:45 AM
I meant I searched the forums. My apologies for not following Serebii's coverage to the letter and knowing every page he created. Whatever. Thanks for helping.

-;248;

Yeah, except for the fact that the games have been out for nearing three weeks and that Serebii tends to make a page for everything. A few seconds at glimpsing at the main site's BW categories would have led you right to it.

B+ for actually searching the thread ahead of time, though.

Tyrannotaur
7th October 2010, 8:50 AM
Yeah, except for the fact that the games have been out for nearing three weeks and that Serebii tends to make a page for everything. A few seconds at glimpsing at the main site's BW categories would have led you right to it.

B+ for actually searching the thread ahead of time, though.

There is really no need for you to further point out my simple mistake. Thanks for the snarky comment though, helps the discussion so much.

Now to touch on the actual topic.

The fact that so many pokemon evolve so late in the game makes me think that Nintendo will unban Tyranitar and nonevent Dragonites, and they will change the level rules for tournaments all together. They should have used the Level set to 50 thing from the start. Always found it stupid to ban Dragonite and Tyranitar cause you can't get them till 55. Especially when there is a mechanic to temporarily change the level to 50.
But I'm sure that was obvious. Still something to think about.

-;248;

Mr. E Goods
7th October 2010, 9:04 AM
There is really no need for you to further point out my simple mistake. Thanks for the snarky comment though, helps the discussion so much.

Now to touch on the actual topic.

The fact that so many pokemon evolve so late in the game makes me think that Nintendo will unban Tyranitar and nonevent Dragonites, and they will change the level rules for tournaments all together. They should have used the Level set to 50 thing from the start. Always found it stupid to ban Dragonite and Tyranitar cause you can't get them till 55. Especially when there is a mechanic to temporarily change the level to 50.
But I'm sure that was obvious. Still something to think about.

-;248;

Yes I really think that the rules will be changed dramatically very soon. Due to the high evolution which = extraordinarily strong pokemon, Dragonite and Tyranitar will be hopefully unbanned.

I understand why the there are so many pokemon which evolve on much, much higher level, but it intrigues me why they only started making the pokemon evolve so late now, in the 5th gen.

O Fortuna
7th October 2010, 11:36 AM

-;248;

How grateful.

As for the ban on Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Dragonite, it seems sorta pointless and always had. I just can't imagine them not changing and thus, only allowing Washibon, Jihead and Meraruba, instead of their much better evolutions.

Clay Psyduck
7th October 2010, 11:43 AM
Can't believe people aren't commenting on this, but it's amazing!

Haha. Thanks. I posted that and I checked back after a while and saw no responses to it and I was like "aw. nobody cared. Was it THAT bad?"

I had fun making it. lol.

Oh! I hadn't even noticed that cool animated GIF since most of the other posts were all about the game guidebooks and stuff haha. I love it! It's funny and cute at the same time. I did wonder what would have happened if Kaburumo tried to steal Ishizumai's shell rather than Chobomaki's. I thought maybe the anime would showcase it or something but this animated GIF is funnier than anything that the anime could come up with. Ishizumai's shell on Kaburumo's head, seriously awesome.

Also, what happened to the Ishizumai when the shell was removed, Clay Psyduck? :)

Thanks as well! Haha!

Yeah, I don't know. I was going to have this much more elaborate but Photoshop was raging at how many layers I had and I had to put an early end to it for the time being. I may make a sequel GIF of sorts.

I was going to have the Ishizumai come back and steal the shell back from Kaburumo. Maybe I'll draw that to accompany this.

Also, while trying to draw the Ishizumai falling out (it's hard to see unless you look at each frame) I made it look sort of like Paras, despite them not really being the same.

OMG that animation is fantastic XD I love that prissy looking bug.

And thank you!

I actually had a really hard time drawing Kaburumo for whatever reason. If you look at the frames, he changes shape and size, and his legs switch (it's weird).

The placement of his face is so bizarre.

I did, however, love drawing Chobomaki. Even though I only drew it once and slid it across the image.

Ishizumai was also fun to draw, but I basically just redrew the same picture about 30 times (and looking at the frames, you can see the quality significantly drop), but rotated eventually.

@anyone - If anyone can think of something cool involving 5th gen Pokemon to draw (specifically something cartoony), I'm up for the challenge. I've been trying to get myself back into drawing more and I've been using drawing threads on /tr/ as inspiration for now.

Corroded Arceus
7th October 2010, 12:00 PM
@anyone - If anyone can think of something cool involving 5th gen Pokemon to draw (specifically something cartoony), I'm up for the challenge. I've been trying to get myself back into drawing more and I've been using drawing threads on /tr/ as inspiration for now.

How about one where there's a stick figure complaining about the 5th gen and how unoriginal it is, and then this Desukan hovers over him, reaches towards him with his shadow hands and then the screen goes black. >:3

ryodragonite
7th October 2010, 12:18 PM
I dont know what Drgonite and Tyranitar are banned for. Is it the same reason as Garchomp is? Because he was the only one of those three that I saw other than the legendaries. If so they most likely will be unbanned because even the ice cream cones final evolution evolves close to level 50. Or they may be forgotten.

Ophie
7th October 2010, 12:27 PM
Dragonite and Tyranitar were banned from tournaments as they evolve past Level 50. Prior to HeartGold/SoulSilver, tournament entrants were required to actually have their Pokémon at Level 50 in order to participate. This means that the tournaments ban anything that's only possible to achieve past Level 50.

Clay Psyduck
7th October 2010, 4:02 PM
So, in theory, Lance would be banned from Pokemon Tournaments because of his hacked Dragonite?

How about one where there's a stick figure complaining about the 5th gen and how unoriginal it is, and then this Desukan hovers over him, reaches towards him with his shadow hands and then the screen goes black. >:3

If only that could really happen. Hahaha.

I'll see what I can do. I have a couple of cool ideas with that in mind now.

sam_h12
7th October 2010, 5:01 PM
right i need something clearing up:
how do you evolve the two trading bugs?
do you have to trade one FOR the other or trade them both to someone else and then they evolve?

FireEmblemAddict
7th October 2010, 5:12 PM
right i need something clearing up:
how do you evolve the two trading bugs?
do you have to trade one FOR the other or trade them both to someone else and then they evolve?

You have to trade them for each other specifically.

Dracoste
7th October 2010, 5:53 PM
Some 5th gen pokémon are born on a unusual way:

Yabakuron: A garbage bag underwent a chemical reaction with industrial waste and was reborn as a Pokemon.

Desumasu: It was born from the spirit of someone buried in an ancient grave. It still remembers its past.

Banipucchi: An icicle that was bathed in energy from the sunrise and become a Pokemon. It buries itself in snow and sleeps.

Furiijio: It was born in snow-clouds. It catches prey with its armour made of ice crystals.

Gobitto: It is thought to be a Pokemon created by the science of an unknown ancient civilization.

R_N
7th October 2010, 6:00 PM
Desumasu is so depressing. The mask it's attached to is the face of when it was once human, and it sometimes looks at it, remembers their past life, and weeps.

Dracoste
7th October 2010, 6:24 PM
also some pokédex entries are a bit scary:

Pururiru: It numbs its foes with poison and then drags them down 8000m under the sea to its den

Burungeru: It vigorously propels itself forward by spitting out the sea water that it has sucked into its body. Life’s energy is its favourite food.

Shibibiiru: A Pokemon with a vigorous appetite. When it finds prey it swoops in, paralyses it with electricity and then eats it.

Oobemu: It can manipulate its opponent’s brain with its psycho power and rewrite memories so that a video they saw will be remembered as something else.

Hitomoshi: While pretending to act as a guide lighting the way, it sucks away at your life-force.

Ranpuraa: It appears at the moment of death and as soon as the soul leaves the body it sucks it up without delay.

Shandera: If something gets surrounded by Shandera’s flames it will suck up the soul and burn it, leaving only the husk of the body behind.

Also this sound a bit weird:

Kokoromori: If you become bathed in the high-pitched noises used by the males when courting the females, you get the feeling of having fun.(@Clay Psyduck, Maybe you can make a animation out of this?)

Luckily Pokémon aren't real, because I think people will use Kokoromori as a drug.

LexSuicune
7th October 2010, 6:32 PM
Shandera: If something gets surrounded by Shandera’s flames it will suck up the soul and burn it, leaving only the husk of the body behind.

WTF, that can't be right!

R_N
7th October 2010, 6:34 PM
WTF, that can't be right!

uh...why?

I love Kokoromori so much. He's the courting Pokemon and picturing their dopey grins as they flutter about is adorable.

RedMage23
7th October 2010, 7:29 PM
I swear, Pokemon are getting more and more fcked up. It's like some sort of conspiracy.

BCVM22
7th October 2010, 8:54 PM
I swear, Pokemon are getting more and more fcked up. It's like some sort of conspiracy.

Look through entries from the last four generations. There's some stuff that makes you go "...wait what?" in there too.

mickey
7th October 2010, 9:01 PM
also some pokédex entries are a bit scary:

Luckily Pokémon aren't real, because I think people will use Kokoromori as a drug.

Ahahahahah! That's great! XD

Anyway I hate Pokémon created after inanimate objects (yes, I hate Beldum and Bronzong too) and the Ice-cream Pokémon is the worst concept they could've ever used for a Pokémon (the double Ice-cream is even worse)...cm'on! It' too stupid.

Meloetta
7th October 2010, 9:26 PM
Someday, just someday I would like for someone to give a complete, substantial definition of what a Pokemon is. And the qualifications it needs to have to be qualified and to look like a Pokemon.

I see nothing wrong with an Ice Cream pokemon, we have pokemon made of Balloons as well. Whats the problem?

We have cows, dogs, chickens, fish. People eat them as well. I don't eat animals but alot of people do.

Some_Chick
7th October 2010, 9:28 PM
at least you didn't wake up and BAM, you're a kadabra.

Clay Psyduck
7th October 2010, 9:32 PM
I was going to stress the fact that the 'ice cream' pokemon is not ice cream, but iciciles/snow are also inanimate.

I can't fathom someone hating Porygon, Magnemite and Electrode.

Or Drifloon. At least by design.

R_N
7th October 2010, 9:38 PM
Ahahahahah! That's great! XD

Anyway I hate Pokémon created after inanimate objects (yes, I hate Beldum and Bronzong too) and the Ice-cream Pokémon is the worst concept they could've ever used for a Pokémon (the double Ice-cream is even worse)...cm'on! It' too stupid.

What the hell is Beldum based off of anyway.
Or Metand & Metagross for that matter.

Lorde
7th October 2010, 9:40 PM
I love Kokoromori so much. He's the courting Pokemon and picturing their dopey grins as they flutter about is adorable.

I agree. I think it might just be my favorite evolved Pokemon in Black and White since it was given such a romantic theme (courting). I don't often see bats courting though, but nothing really makes sense in Pokemon so I just sort of roll with it.

I see nothing wrong with an Ice Cream pokemon, we have pokemon made of Balloons as well. Whats the problem?

I don't hate the ice cream cone Pokemon as much as I used to. I just learned to accept it's odd design and move on from there. Yeah, I still shudder when I encounter any members of it's evolutionary line in Black and White, but I've learned to just ignore the Pokemon. There are plenty of cool Pokemon that make up for Game Freak's mistake.

LexSuicune
7th October 2010, 9:42 PM
Anyone else thinks Meraruba looks like Arceus' baby? XD

R_N
7th October 2010, 9:43 PM
How is the ice cream icicle Pokemon a "mistake"

much less more then something like, say, drifloon

Lorde
7th October 2010, 9:48 PM
Anyone else thinks Meraruba looks like Arceus' baby? XD

Meraruba? That's the baby moth Pokemon right? It would help a LOT if you had explained how it looks like Arceus rather than just throwing out there to be honest. To me, Meraruba just looks like a baby-version of Urugamosu. The only similarity between Meraruba and Arceus is the eye-part of their bodies, that's all. That could just be a coincidence though, no?

Isis-sama
7th October 2010, 9:50 PM
Kokoromori: If you become bathed in the high-pitched noises used by the males when courting the females, you get the feeling of having fun.(@Clay Psyduck, Maybe you can make a animation out of this?)

A drug? I don't think that's the kind of "fun" the Pokedex was alluding to. I think if anything, people would use Kokoromori as a, well, masturbatory aid.

CptScorpion
7th October 2010, 9:58 PM
Isshu is so far, far away, Generation V is far from related to the previous generations, unrelated to Pokemon, and some of the Generation V Pokemon look ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE POKEMON!!!!! Isshu must have been on a habitable super-earth near the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Slowemperor
7th October 2010, 10:50 PM
at least you didn't wake up and BAM, you're a kadabra.

That one always terrify me, specially when I was a kid (although I once thought it would actually be cool to be Kadabra and have psychich powers and evolve into a 5000 IQ Alakazam (how's this guys not ruling over humans with such brains?))

Gen V actually beated Gen I in pokedex weirdness... Gen I was particulary strange with real world references and creepy things. Gladly, they brought those things back (minus the real world references)!

Some_Chick
7th October 2010, 11:12 PM
lol somebody got my joke.

my point was, as weird as some of this stuff may be, its just how pokemon was and still is. the Ice Cream pokemon isnt my favorite but hey, its not that weird even compared to gen 1. the main difference is the evolving art style. Things can be much more detailed now than they could before and the art style reflects it.

some very bizarre designs gives the game more flavor, in my opinion. though for the record i would never use the ice bear or ice cream pokemon ever. not in a thousand years. not fond of the style, even if i defend it.

how can one say it doesnt look like pokemon? they're all colorful cartoony monsters are they not? i understand not liking the new designs but i dont see how theyre not pokemon. o.o

Sabonea_Masukippa
7th October 2010, 11:12 PM
Isshu is so far, far away, Generation V is far from related to the previous generations, unrelated to Pokemon, and some of the Generation V Pokemon look ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE POKEMON!!!!! Isshu must have been on a habitable super-earth near the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Cool story bro.

But really, a more exciting (and intelligent sounding) way to contribute that point to the discussion would be to a) define what a Pokemon should look like first and b) then give examples of Gen 5 Pokemon that don't match this definition. That way the rest of us have something to discuss. :)

The only definition satisfactory definition of a "Pokemon" that I have ever come across (although you may be able to provide a better one) is that a Pokemon is a creature designed by Gamefreak that is unlockable in the in-game Pokedex in some manner in any generation of the main series of games.

By this definition it is impossible for a Pokemon not to look like a Pokemon and therefore I have to conclude that all the 5th Gen monsters do in fact look like Pokemon. However, anyone feel free to disagree who can come up with a better definition that we can all agree on.

Now, if you want to argue that the subsequent generations don't look like the first generation, that's a different story altogether. However, I would strongly hypothesize that had several of the first gen designs have not been released until this generation that they would have received as much critique and internet hatred as the new ones do. Here are some examples: Bulbasaur for being derpy, Venusaur for looking too much like Venusaur, Blastoise for looking too different to Squirtle, Poliwhirl-->Poliwrath looking too similar, Grimer and Muk for being based on "disgusting" sludge, Voltorb and Electrode for looking exactly like Pokeballs with eyes, Jynx for being ugly, Dragonite for not being cool, Ditto for being based off of gum, Lickitung for derpyness, Eggsecute for being based on "eggs", the Machop, Mr. Mime and Jynx families for being too humanoid, Porygon for being a man-made Pokemon, Dugtrio, Dodrio and Magnemite for being lazy evolutions and don't get me started on the missed 4chan meme that is Pig-Monkey (Mankey/Primape). And those are just some of the complaints I can imagine people raising against the 1st Gen designs. So I think it has more to do with perspective than some objective evaluation of the designs.

And if you want to argue that you don't like the designs or what they're based off of and that's why you don't think they look like Pokemon, well, I'm sure there's a logical fallacy in there somewhere, but I haven't had breakfast yet, so bear with me. Either way, it would be a flawed argument.

Cobalt_Latios
8th October 2010, 1:28 AM
I can't fathom someone hating Porygon, Magnemite and Electrode.
Of course not, they're all Gen I pokes. No one hates Gen I ;).

Or Drifloon. At least by design.
Oh yeah, I'm surprised no one's come to the conclusion that they're balloons. Not sure how they find them cute or whatnot, but hey, who am I to judge. All I know is that they're surprisingly popular.

How is the ice cream icicle Pokemon a "mistake"

much less more then something like, say, drifloon
I am confused. Explain please.

C_L

Lorde
8th October 2010, 1:41 AM

I do ♫

Anyway, I just think that the idea of a Pokemon based on an ice cream cone should've been scrapped the moment the person with the idea spoke out. It's just not the kind of Pokemon I would've expected from Game Freak at all. While not the worst Pokemon in the Pokemon world, it's design just isn't my favorite from the Generation 5 Pokemon. The whole family ties with Maggyo in my book. The only member of the ice cream cone evolutionary line I'd be willing to call "cute" would be Banipucchi but that's about it. The other two are just odd.

ForeverFlame
8th October 2010, 1:51 AM
There is no "Pokemon look". Ditto, Charizard, and Dialga look nothing alike. If Pokemon didn't exist, they could easily exist in three different types of monster games.

BCVM22
8th October 2010, 2:06 AM
It's just not the kind of Pokemon I would've expected from Game Freak at all.

Okay.

Who was worried about what you would have expected from Game Freak or not? That seems like a rather arbitrary metric to use.

Grei
8th October 2010, 2:37 AM

I can concur with this. I mean, Gen I was the first Gen. It'll always be likable for that (although I find the 4th Gen to be the best, quickly being beaten out by the 5th Gen).

I am confused. Explain please.

C_L

Drifloon is in The 4th Kira's signature.
Also, the ice cream cone is not a mistake. It's possibly one of the cutest Pokemon I've ever seen.

It's so happy

All of the time

It doesn't have a care in the world

It's just overjoyed by it's cuteness

:D

Toastedbagel
8th October 2010, 2:40 AM
I really like the way male!Kenhorou looks-it made more of an impression on me than Staraptor or Swellow. I'm glad they went with something flashier for the standard bird Poké this gen...I can't say the same for the female, though. Ah, well, at least it's based on ACTUAL ZOOLOGY™.

The way the Rankurusu/Gochimiruzeru lines progress kind of remind me of the Marill line...except smushed into one gen, so they instantly get BARRELS OF HATE OH MY GOD GAME FREAK YOU ARE SO LAZY. I think it would have been better if GF had put the first forms in the next gen as babies or something, because to me it really does come off as being kind of lazy and trying to get in as many Pokemon as possible. :/

I'm really not loving the copypasta on the Gear line's sprites. Oh, Game Freak. Plus...where does its other face go? 0_0 It kind of looks more like an inanimate object than a living creature, considering that the face!gear only takes up like a 5th of the sprite and really doesn't draw attention to itself.

The scarylamprey line is awesome, except for its typing. It would have been nice for it to be Ground/Electric or Water/Electric or even Psychic/Electric, because it's, ya know, a giant floating fish? -_-

Why is the Dark/Flying vulture line female only? Game Freak, are you trying to say something?....XD

I like happycactus a lot, but it's a mediocre single-stage...*sigh* Maybe next gen it'll get an evo?

I don't really get how Zuruggu is supposed to be Dark/Fighting...There's not a lot about it that says "dirty fighter/creature of the night/evil" to me. Ah, well, at least it's a good type combo.

Firemoth officially makes up for every Pokemon ever I didn't like. That is all.

Also, the ice cream cone is not a mistake. It's possibly one of the cutest Pokemon I've ever seen.

It's so happy

All of the time

This is probably one of the very few redeeming features of Ice Cream. That, and the fact that a freaking ice cream cone can totally murder a dragon. Just imagine.

...long post is long.

BCVM22
8th October 2010, 2:44 AM
I don't really get how Zuruggu is supposed to be Dark/Fighting...There's not a lot about it that says "dirty fighter/creature of the night/evil" to me.

The sagging "pants", the lizard skin "hoodie", the mohawk: it's a street thug, who are known for getting into violent scraps, hence the Fighting-type, but aren't typically known for fighting fair or honorably, hence the Dark-type.

Toastedbagel
8th October 2010, 2:46 AM
The sagging "pants", the lizard skin "hoodie", the mohawk: it's a street thug, who are known for getting into violent scraps, hence the Fighting-type, but aren't typically known for fighting fair or honorably, hence the Dark-type.

Wow, that actually totally makes sense now. Thanks.

Rakurai
8th October 2010, 2:49 AM
Why is the Dark/Flying vulture line female only? Game Freak, are you trying to say something?....XD

Same reason that the Washibon line is male only.

Lorde
8th October 2010, 2:53 AM
Same reason that the Washibou line is male only.

Washibon and Wargle are male-only? Fudge, I barely noticed this haha. I guess the vulture-line is stuck being female to show that they're really counterparts to Washibon and Wargle in more ways than one. Anyway, speaking of Washibon, I had originally thought it's name was based off of George Washington when it was first revealed. I must confess that I was wrong since it seems to come from the world "washi" meaning eagle in Japanese. I thought Game Freak had taken the American-theme to the next level :p

R_N
8th October 2010, 2:59 AM
I can concur with this. I mean, Gen I was the first Gen. It'll always be likable for that (although I find the 4th Gen to be the best, quickly being beaten out by the 5th Gen).

Drifloon is in The 4th Kira's signature.

It's so happy

All of the time

Also freezing and devouring its now frozen prey

Grei
8th October 2010, 3:35 AM
Also freezing and devouring its now frozen prey

Which gives it it's adorable brain-freeze expression

:3

DeathSDelano
8th October 2010, 4:10 AM
Was looking over Goruggo again and though that he would be a good SubPuncher
i mean Iron Fist + Sub + Focus Punch + 124 base atk = profit?
and he has decent HP as well

And with Iron Fist Focus Punch's Power becomes 180!

my idea build for him(possibly) this is just me playing around

Goruggo W/ Leftovers
nature: Adamant
EVs:252 ATK 252 HP(or in the Defenses)
Ability: Iron Fist
Moveset:
Sub
Focus Punch

-you can put anything esle in the last 2 slots as i would put-
Shadow Punch
Earthquake

or something like above

Cobalt_Latios
8th October 2010, 4:12 AM
I do ♫
Wow, that's a first.

The whole family ties with Maggyo in my book.
Hey, I like Maggyo.

There's a lot of "other" connotations that could have been used to use to describe it, but "street thug" seems the most general term.

Explain why it's mainly found in the desert and that'll be a nice bonus.

C_L

Luke the Almighty
8th October 2010, 4:16 AM

C_L

Desert bandits.

BCVM22
8th October 2010, 4:17 AM

Because that's where I would deposit the street punks of the world if I could round them all up and leave them someplace where they and their saggy pants and hoodies can't bother anyone.

Or because it's also a lizard and lizards live in the desert. Either way.

Lorde
8th October 2010, 4:19 AM
Wow, that's a first.

I dislike the 1st Generation because it seems everyone goes around comparing it to the newer Generations and how people praise Generation 1 Pokemon for being "the best ones" around. I think they're ok, but not my favorite since many of them look terrible in my opinion (like Grimer and Ditto for example). I'm nostalgic, but not about Generation 1.

Hey, I like Maggyo.

I don't think it's all too pleasant on the eyes to be honest haha. It looks like a truck run over a fish and the fish got stuck looking like a flat pancake. It's also received the creepiest animated sprite in Pokemon Black and White and ties with Mew for having one of the worst sprites of all time in the Pokemon games. I just think Maggyo is creepy-looking. Maybe when we get it's official artwork, I'll change my mind about it. Maybe.

SergeiDragunov
8th October 2010, 4:20 AM
Because that's where I would deposit the street punks of the world if I could round them all up and leave them someplace where they and their saggy pants and hoodies can't bother anyone.

I lol'd.

Anyone know where I could find all the 5th gen Dex entries?

Cobalt_Latios
8th October 2010, 4:20 AM
Desert bandits.
Needs some kind of scaly "bandana" covering it's mouth for that to work though...

Okay, yeah, that works too.

C_L

Luke the Almighty
8th October 2010, 4:23 AM
I lol'd.

Black (http://pokebeach.com/2010/09/pokemon-black-pokedex-entries)
White (http://pokebeach.com/2010/09/pokemon-black-and-white-pokedex-entries)

Grei
8th October 2010, 4:23 AM
I lol'd.

Pokebeach has them from both versions, although you might have to look in September's archives if they've been archived already.

EDIT: Ninja'd. :0

anotherpromise
8th October 2010, 4:29 AM
Anyone know where I can find the animated(or the frames) mini icons (like you see in your menu, when looking at your team) or animated sprites? XD Thank you~

ForeverFlame
8th October 2010, 4:41 AM
The thing that makes Maggyo so awesome is the fact that it's the worst Pokemon ever.

But on the other hand, it has good typing and surprisingly decent stats. I'm tempted to use it in UU just to see my opponent's reaction when I faint one of their Pokemon with it.

Aether13
8th October 2010, 4:47 AM
So what is Emboar's name? Because ive seen it spelled Emboar and Enbuoh.

BCVM22
8th October 2010, 4:50 AM
The katakana transliterates as E-N-BU-OO; given that and given everything that the Pokémon is, the logical and most likely correct romanization is "Emboar", as in ember + boar.

RedMage23
8th October 2010, 4:50 AM
Anyway, speaking of Washibon, I had originally thought it's name was based off of George Washington when it was first revealed. I must confess that I was wrong since it seems to come from the world "washi" meaning eagle in Japanese.

That is almost too weird to be a coincidence. Almost.

ForeverFlame
8th October 2010, 4:54 AM
So what is Emboar's name? Because ive seen it spelled Emboar and Enbuoh.

Pronounce Enbuoo slowly in a Japanese accent. If it comes out as something similar to "Emboar", you're doing it right.

RedMage23
8th October 2010, 5:12 AM
I like Zuruzukin a lot more after that description... it used to be one of my least favorite Generation V Pokemon.

Favorites are still Trash Bag Line, Ice Cream Cone Line, and Munna

Mr. E Goods
8th October 2010, 5:56 AM
I assosiate the word "derp with the Icecream pokemons middle evo, and "Double Derp!" with the final evo.

Yes they are cute but they are possible the most unlikely pokemon as well as the most retarded looking pokemon/ pokemon idea ever, up there with Nosepass and Probopass.

The first evo looks like a Castform only 1000X Cuter and more adorable though.

R_N
8th October 2010, 5:57 AM
But Koromori & Kokoromori are literally the most retarded Pokemon ever.

Okay maybe Bidoof.

KuroiMawile
8th October 2010, 7:05 AM
Kokormori, retarded, since when?
also, how is a moi statue that doubles as a compass even up on a list of 'most retarded pokemon ideas'?

Lorde
8th October 2010, 7:12 AM

Haters gonna hate. People are just jealous of it's serene beauty ;_;

I like the Koromori line since they were added for a reason; to replace the Zubat line. They were neccesary while some of the other Pokemon weren't as necessary and seem to only have been created to serve as "fillers" in the PokeDex. I used to dislike both Yabaruron and Dasutodasu with a passion but now that it was revealed that they were most likely meant to replace Grimer and Muk, I don't hate them as much anymore. There's nothing I love more than a Pokemon with a purpose.

KuroiMawile
8th October 2010, 7:44 AM
Love me some Gantora.

Also, were grimer and muk replaced in gen III-- oh wait gulpin and Swalot... funny, 4 of my favorite poison types replace my least favorite.

R_N
8th October 2010, 7:47 AM
They have derp expressions on the both of them, and their abilities are Unaware, Klutz & Simple.

I love them to death but it's clear they're supposed to be at least a little "special"

Mr. E Goods
8th October 2010, 8:06 AM
The Icrecream has weird fishy lips :) (their lips look like the lips of the random fish in Sponge Bob Square Pants).

I never said I hated them >.< They are just plain retarded.

also, how is a moi statue that doubles as a compass even up on a list of 'most retarded pokemon ideas'?
The bats are pretty cool, I hate the final evo though.

Mario with Lasers
8th October 2010, 8:06 AM
I loved the fact the Koromori line is a replacement for the Zubat line and yet you almost never find them in-game. Actually, I feel the whole game pre-E4 has a nice pokémon distribution. I just really disliked Victory Road, the abundance of monkeys (ok guys I got it we have an elemental monkey trio, it got old at Hiun City already) and lack of Gothloli in earliest routes. Oh, and lack of wild Kokoromori.

Also, Kokoromori may still evolve (that's unlikely though, lol Simple), which makes everything even more awesome. 87/62/75/87/75/119 Kokokoromori BELIEVE

R_N
8th October 2010, 8:12 AM
I loved the fact the Koromori line is a replacement for the Zubat line and yet you almost never find them in-game. Actually, I feel the whole game pre-E4 has a nice pokémon distribution. I just really disliked Victory Road, the abundance of monkeys (ok guys I got it we have an elemental monkey trio, it got old at Hiun City already) and lack of Gothloli in earliest routes. Oh, and lack of wild Kokoromori.

That is kind of surprising. From what I've seen the monkeys and Yorterrie absolutely plague the early game trainers, right?

Also, Kokoromori may still evolve (that's unlikely though, lol Simple), which makes everything even more awesome. 87/62/75/87/75/119 Kokokoromori BELIEVE
YES

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND TIMES YES

KOKOKOROROROMOKORI BELIEVE

Mr. E Goods
8th October 2010, 8:13 AM
I find Koromori and Kokoromori's psychic typing a tiny bit odd. I think Dark would have suited better seeing as it is a bat.

Lorde
8th October 2010, 8:15 AM
I loved the fact the Koromori line is a replacement for the Zubat line and yet you almost never find them in-game. Actually, I feel the whole game pre-E4 has a nice pok&#233;mon distribution. I just really disliked Victory Road, the abundance of monkeys (ok guys I got it we have an elemental monkey trio, it got old at Hiun City already) and lack of Gothloli in earliest routes. Oh, and lack of wild Kokoromori.

I also noticed that the elemental monkey's basic forms (Yanappu, Hiyappu, and Baoppu) are used a LOT at the beginning of the games. I got tired of them once I saw that the three street performers in Hiun City used them as well (which sort of fits but whatever). Then their evolved forms (Yanakki, Hiyakki, and Baokki) seem to appear in every battle after Hodomoe City. I recall seeing them used in Souryuu City as the gimmick Pokemon for triple battles or something too.

The lack of any wild Kokoromori made me sob but at least we get to bond with Koromori in order to get Kokoromori via Happiness evolution :3

KuroiMawile
8th October 2010, 8:22 AM
but isn't the "The Opening of an Underwater Vein" (best cave name...) available after the 2nd gym?

Corroded Arceus
8th October 2010, 8:26 AM

Maybe that's what happened to Desumasu, then?

Mr. E Goods
8th October 2010, 8:27 AM

That is good IMO that they are much less common. Nothing worse than running into fast flying types in a cave that you cant escape from.

KuroiMawile
8th October 2010, 8:33 AM
double post

Lorde
8th October 2010, 8:44 AM
but isn't the "The Opening of an Underwater Vein" (best cave name...) available after the 2nd gym?

It's actually available after the first Gym. However, Koromori aren't as common as Zubat were in the previous 4 generations. In fact, I think I've encountered more Dangoro in the Underwater Vein than Koromori which is really odd. In other caves, there seem to be even less Koromori than in the Underwater Vein. They do seem a bit more uncommon than the Pokemon they're supposed to replace :s

R_N
8th October 2010, 8:46 AM
I find Koromori and Kokoromori's psychic typing a tiny bit odd. I think Dark would have suited better seeing as it is a bat.

They're basically blind, so it meshes well with their sonar abilities. The hearts kind of go with empathy (and courting!) which can be related to the mind which goes with psychic.

They also are not malicious so Dark type wouldn't suit them at all.

Maybe that's what happened to Desumasu, then?
Desumasu is the soul of a dead person, whose mask is their former face.

Shaderra basically eats and destroys the soul and leaves a (probably burned) empty husk behind.

Those kind of clash against each other.

Ophie
8th October 2010, 12:40 PM
Wow, that's a first.

There's a lot of "other" connotations that could have been used to use to describe it, but "street thug" seems the most general term.

C_L

While I don't dislike Generation 1, it is my least favorite batch of Pokémon. I feel the designs have become more creative with time, the Generation 1 Pokémon as a whole being too close to their original bases (most notably Ponyta and Rapidash, Growlithe and Arcanine, Krabby and Kingler, Goldeen and Seaking, and Spearow and Fearow) and having too many based on seemingly abstract concepts like Magmar, Electabuzz, and the Legendary Birds.

Basically, the "weirdness" factor is at its lowest by far in Generation 1, and I like Pokémon designs that are weird. Hence why among them, I have a liking for Kabuto and Kabutops, Exeggcute and Exeggutor, and Venonat (but not so much Venomoth).

And as for why Zuruggu lives in the desert: Mad Max.

That film seems to have cemented the concept of the desert apocalypse populated by punks, thugs, and other assorted rapscallions.

It's actually available after the first Gym. However, Koromori aren't as common as Zubat were in the previous 4 generations. In fact, I think I've encountered more Dangoro in the Underwater Vein than Koromori which is really odd. In other caves, there seem to be even less Koromori than in the Underwater Vein. They do seem a bit more uncommon than the Pokemon they're supposed to replace :s

Dangoro and its evolutions don't overcrowd all the caves, do they? Looking at Pokéarth, it seems like Game Freak created a lot of Pokémon who could live in caves and dispersed them about various places.

(And as you can see, Bivanilla will be going on the first team I'll use for head-to-head battles. So if you come across me, chances are Bivanilla will show up at some time or another.)

Rakurai
8th October 2010, 1:07 PM
Dangoro and its evolutions don't overcrowd all the caves, do they?

It's found in every single cave in the game, and its encounter rate is as high as 50% in some of them. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that about half of the Pokemon you ever run into in caves will be ones from that line.

O Fortuna
8th October 2010, 1:25 PM
But Koromori & Kokoromori are literally the most retarded Pokemon ever.

Okay maybe Bidoof.

You don't understand the meaning of the word 'literally', do you?

mickey
8th October 2010, 3:03 PM
Someday, just someday I would like for someone to give a complete, substantial definition of what a Pokemon is. And the qualifications it needs to have to be qualified and to look like a Pokemon.

We have cows, dogs, chickens, fish. People eat them as well. I don't eat animals but alot of people do.

Pok&#233;mon are supposed to live free in the environment, they're living beings, so it's just normal to think that they're like animals (also human shaped, we're animals too) and plants. Also Pok&#233;mon made of rocks, ground, and even sludge are qualified like pok&#233;mon because of the fact that those kind of things can be found in nature.

Another important factor of "pok&#233;mon-ness" is (unfortunately I must say "was") the simple design even when full-evolved or legendary.
New full-evolved or legendary Pok&#233;mon look like Christmas trees: full of orbs, stripes, horns, colors, dots, and whatever you want to put. Try to compare the simpleness of Charizard with the strange Emboar. Or Mewtwo and Genosect. Or Celebi and Kerudio, or the birds trio with the genies trio.

In Generation I, the only ones that look strange are Voltorb/Electrode, Magnemite/Magneton and Porygon, just 5 Pok&#233;mon. The first four were created to be related to metal, that is for japanese culture one of the Natural Elements and Porygon was the artificial Pok&#233;mon. Legendary Pok&#233;mon are very simple in design and they're not full of useless elements.

In Generation II, apart from Unowns (that come from a parallel world) we HAVEN'T any Pok&#233;mon with odd or object-based design. Metallic pok&#233;mon are based on normal animals (Skarmory is a bird and Steelix is a rocky snake) not on robots. Legendary Pok&#233;mon are few and simple and wonderful. Would you compare the awesomeness of Ho-oh and Raikou with the oddity of the new Steel/Fight horse or Kyurem? So I can assume that Generation II is the best ever.

From Generation III robotics and object-shaped Pok&#233;mon appeared. I'm talking about the terrible Beldum line, the Regis, Nosepass and Chimecho (8 Pok&#233;mon) in the third generation, Chingling, Bronzor/Bronzong, Drifloon/Driflblim, Spiritomb (even if it has a very cool concept), Rotoms and forms, Magnezone and Probopass (9 Pok&#233;mon, not counting alternate forms of Rotom) in the fourth one and too much Pok&#233;mon such as the Sarcophagus, the rubbish-ish ones, the terrible Ice-creams, the armored bug, the gears, the candle line, the snow flake, the golems, the power rangers etc. (Too much to count)

That's because I complain for a lot of new Pok&#233;mon. Sorry for my grammatical mistakes, is that english is not my original language :)

Sabonea_Masukippa
8th October 2010, 5:02 PM
Pokémon are supposed to live free in the environment, they're living beings, so it's just normal to think that they're like animals (also human shaped, we're animals too) and plants. Also Pokémon made of rocks, ground, and even sludge are qualified like pokémon because of the fact that those kind of things can be found in nature.

Another important factor of "pokémon-ness" is (unfortunately I must say "was") the simple design even when full-evolved or legendary.
New full-evolved or legendary Pokémon look like Christmas trees: full of orbs, stripes, horns, colors, dots, and whatever you want to put. Try to compare the simpleness of Charizard with the strange Emboar. Or Mewtwo and Genosect. Or Celebi and Kerudio, or the birds trio with the genies trio.

In Generation I, the only ones that look strange are Voltorb/Electrode, Magnemite/Magneton and Porygon, just 5 Pokémon. The first four were created to be related to metal, that is for japanese culture one of the Natural Elements and Porygon was the artificial Pokémon. Legendary Pokémon are very simple in design and they're not full of useless elements.

Stop.

You don't get to say that Pokemon are "supposed" to be natural things and the five you specify as non-natural don't count. That's called special pleading, it's a logical fallacy. Look it up.

As for definitions of Pokemon, until someone can convince me that there is a better definition I'm sticking with: "Any design created by an employee of GameFreak that can be placed inside a Pokeball in a main series game."

In Generation II, apart from Unowns (that come from a parallel world) we HAVEN'T any Pokémon with odd or object-based design. Metallic pokémon are based on normal animals (Skarmory is a bird and Steelix is a rocky snake) not on robots. Legendary Pokémon are few and simple and wonderful. Would you compare the awesomeness of Ho-oh and Raikou with the oddity of the new Steel/Fight horse or Kyurem? So I can assume that Generation II is the best ever.

Again, special pleading for Unowns. And you're forgetting the oddity that is Wobbufett. And possibly (for some people, at least) Dunsparce, Sudowoodo, Topgepii, Togetic, Hitmontop, Sneasal and the Hoppip-line. Also, I don't see how Raikou or Ho-oh are any more simple or beautiful than Meloetta, Sheimi or Cresseilia. I don't think you can assume Gen II was the best, at least not on the points you've presented so far. If anything, Gen 2 is the odd-generation out, since it has the fewest object and human-shape mosnters.

From Generation III robotics and object-shaped Pokémon appeared. I'm talking about the terrible Beldum line, the Regis, Nosepass and Chimecho (8 Pokémon) in the third generation, Chingling, Bronzor/Bronzong, Spiritomb (even if it has a very cool concept), Rotoms and forms, Magnezone and Probopass (7 Pokémon, not counting alternate forms of Rotom) in the fourth one and too much Pokémon such as the Sarcophagus, the rubbish-ish ones, the terrible Ice-creams, the armored bug, the gears, the candle line, the snow flake, the golems, the power rangers etc. (Too much to count)

Although I don't see any robots (but I'm keeping a vigilant watch) it's not like GF started pulling object-based Pokemon out of their large intestines at the turn of the millennium, they just skipped (mostly) a Generation. And the two types that object Pokemon lend themselves most readily to (Ghost and Steel) focus more on objects now than in the past because there is a limit to how many gassy blobs and steel-armored animals you can draw before your audience and designers get bored and move on.

Finally, before I sleep, the designs of some Pokemon can be more complex thanks to fifteen years of technological advancement in hand-held gaming. GF can make more complex designs if and when it needs too, for example box legendaries, where it's advantageous to have uber looking beasts to excite ten year old boys into making their parents pay, but they can keep them simple (and largely do - Munna, Swanna, Bachuru, Moguryuu, Dangoro, Meguroko, Vanipucchi, Uniran, Emonga and the list goes on).

Viva la Ice-Cream!

EDIT: Also, with the "too" many legends argument: only 6 are available in game without trading or events. The "best" gen had 5. Big difference.

Slowemperor
8th October 2010, 5:35 PM
Stop.

You don't get to say that Pokemon are "supposed" to be natural things and the five you specify as non-natural don't count. That's called special pleading, it's a logical fallacy. Look it up.

Not only it's a logic fallacy (which are so much fun to desconstruct! Specially when there's an ham sandwich involved!) but is also offcially unfundamented. I mean, who said pokemon are supposed to be natural? Game Freak? No. The Creators? No. The anime? No. The games? No. Arceus? No. Someone just thought they are supposed since the majority is. There have been artificial pokemon since the very beggining and definitions frequently change after the firsts tries. Pokemon are pokemon. Some might please you, some might not. But seeing random fans claiming their opinion in that they should be natural, although somewhat based on majorities, is still far from giving us The Ultimate Definition Of What A Pokemon Should Look Like (TUDOWAPSLL!).

davidxrawr
8th October 2010, 6:24 PM
I agree that in later generations Pokemon look a bit robotic. This is more noticable in legendaries.

Compare the more natrual looking features of:
3 legendary birds, mewtwo, 3 legendary dogs, ho oh and lugia

With the features of:
dialga, palikia, groudon, kyogre, rayquaza, and giratina

There IS a diffrence. Of course this dosnet apply to all pokemon. ",

R_N
8th October 2010, 7:59 PM
You don't understand the meaning of the word 'literally', do you?
maybe "Retarded" is too strong a word, but how about "dopey"

mewfan1
8th October 2010, 8:34 PM
I kinda wish they put in evos of older pokemon in the 5th gen. Oh well. I guess they'll do some for the 6th generation.

mickey
8th October 2010, 8:37 PM
Stop.
Stop.

As for definitions of Pokemon, until someone can convince me that there is a better definition I'm sticking with: "Any design created by an employee of GameFreak that can be placed inside a Pokeball in a main series game."

Ahaha! First of all, thanks for the answer, I'm not here to impose my thoughts, don't forget that this is a forum and here we can talk in a civil way. I say that because I don't want to look arrogant, and if it seems, is that I'm using a language that isn't mine. (p.s. "the Ice-cream" in italian is "il gelato" ;D)

Let's answer now:

I admit that saying that Magnemite/Magneton, Voltorb/Electrode and Porygon are "justified", it looks like I'm pleading them.
And ok, maybe unconsciously I plead them, because of the fact that they're first gen Pokémon, but I strongly believe that they invented them to give a reference to metals (that were introduced in the second gen with the Steel type) and as I said before, metal is a natural element. But ok, I accept that they're pretty odd and partially unnatural.

Your definition of Pokémon is politically correct :P but this is not what I meant. I know that everything GF calls Pokémon IS a Pokémon, I was just complaining about the strange look of the newest ones. :)

Stop.
Again, special pleading for Unowns. And you're forgetting the oddity that is Wobbufett. And possibly (for some people, at least) Dunsparce, Sudowoodo, Topgepii, Togetic, Hitmontop, Sneasal and the Hoppip-line. Also, I don't see how Raikou or Ho-oh are any more simple or beautiful than Meloetta, Sheimi or Cresseilia. I don't think you can assume Gen II was the best, at least not on the points you've presented so far. If anything, Gen 2 is the odd-generation out, since it has the fewest object and human-shape mosnters.

Ok, you're right here again, and if you want, I can say that Unowns are odd and strange 'cause it's the truth.
Wobbuffet is odd, yeah, but it's a completely unknown living being, it doesn't look like a well known object such as a candle or an ice-cream or even a robot (I don't really know what Wobbuffet is based on but Dunsparce is a kind of snake that lives underground; Sudowoodo is pretty odd, ok it's a Rock type, but it's invented after a tree; Togepi is an egg; Togetic a fairy-being; Hitmontop is simply a humanoid Pokčmon such as Mr.Mime, Jinx, and the new Gochiruzeru; Sneasel is a weasel; and Hoppip line are a weed seed, a flower seed and a cotton seed respectively (IMO))
I didn't say that ALL new Pokémon and more specifically, new legendaries are bad! I personally love Pokémon as Kokoromori, Jalord, Munna/Musharna, Swanna, Shaymin and even Meloia! :) I just said that the last three generation, especially the last one, introduced too much odd Pokémon.

Stop.
Although I don't see any robots (but I'm keeping a vigilant watch) it's not like GF started pulling object-based Pokemon out of their large intestines at the turn of the millennium, they just skipped (mostly) a Generation. And the two types that object Pokemon lend themselves most readily to (Ghost and Steel) focus more on objects now than in the past because there is a limit to how many gassy blobs and steel-armored animals you can draw before your audience and designers get bored and move on.

Finally, before I sleep, the designs of some Pokemon can be more complex thanks to fifteen years of technological advancement in hand-held gaming. GF can make more complex designs if and when it needs too, for example box legendaries, where it's advantageous to have uber looking beasts to excite ten year old boys into making their parents pay, but they can keep them simple (and largely do - Munna, Swanna, Bachuru, Moguryuu, Dangoro, Meguroko, Vanipucchi, Uniran, Emonga and the list goes on).

Viva la Ice-Cream!

EDIT: Also, with the "too" many legends argument: only 6 are available in game without trading or events. The "best" gen had 5. Big difference.

Can't you see robots Pokémon? And what about Beldum/Metang/Metagross? Aren't they robotic spiders? And what about Registeel? Ok, it's a golem (conceptually) but it looks like a robot. And the new Ground/Ghost Pokčmon (Gobitto and evo)? Aren't they robots too? Conceptually, none of them is a robot, 'cause them all are Pokémon. I'm just talking about the way the look.

And yes! You're right man, when you say "GF can make more complex designs if and when it needs too, for example box legendaries, where it's advantageous to have uber looking beasts to excite ten year old boys into making their parents pay", I agree. And saying that "Finally, before I sleep, the designs of some Pokemon can be more complex thanks to fifteen years of technological advancement in hand-held gaming." You admit that new Pokémon effectively have a very different style respect the old ones.

This is what I'm trying to say. They're not the same monsters that made me fall in love with Pokémon.

Slowemperor
8th October 2010, 8:55 PM
And yes! You're right man, when you say "GF can make more complex designs if and when it needs too, for example box legendaries, where it's advantageous to have uber looking beasts to excite ten year old boys into making their parents pay", I agree. And saying that "Finally, before I sleep, the designs of some Pokemon can be more complex thanks to fifteen years of technological advancement in hand-held gaming." You admit that new Pokémon effectively have a very different style respect the old ones.

This is what I'm trying to say. They're not the same monsters that made me fall in love with Pokémon.

Although I disagree with what you're saying (although I also don't appreciate an icicle pokemon) I must say this posts was a required addition to your previous because it was looking like something you were apparently not saying. Just an advice do not say "Pokémon are supposed to..." say something in the lines of "In my opinion, Pokémon are supposed to..." otherwise it looks bad... really bad.

mickey
8th October 2010, 9:03 PM
Although I disagree with what you're saying (although I also don't appreciate an icicle pokemon) I must say this posts was a required addition to your previous because it was looking like something you were apparently not saying. Just an advice do not say "Pokémon are supposed to..." say something in the lines of "In my opinion, Pokémon are supposed to..." otherwise it looks bad... really bad.

Omg, sorry! I didn't want to be arrogant, thanks for the advice! ;)

Lorde
8th October 2010, 9:29 PM
It's found in every single cave in the game, and its encounter rate is as high as 50% in some of them. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that about half of the Pokemon you ever run into in caves will be ones from that line.

I dislike Dangoro because they appear so often. I think I might actually hate it's evolved form even more though. Since Gantoru cannot be defeated by One Hit KO moves, it takes at least two turns to defeat them, by which time they've already attacked you and caused some damage. Yeah they're pretty great for experience but not much else. Why give them all Sturdy? Why not mix things up a bit? It's ridiculous.

Sponge
8th October 2010, 10:07 PM
The way I look at pokemon is that they're like Aliens (you can't really say for certain what an alien would look like if they existed)....or simply monsters more than they're like anything we can relate to in the real world (such as animals).

It means I can be more open minded about what a pokemon can be (pretty much anything)

I do love how they're not limiting themselves into just creating Animal like pokemon. It makes things far far more interesting. Bottom line is that the pokemon world is separate from our own and doesn't (and shouldn't) have to abide by our rules of what living things should be.

redroses
8th October 2010, 10:24 PM
I think it is only natural that the pokemon do not look as "simple" as they used to in Gen1. Already because Sugimori grew as an artist over the years. He learned more about anatomy and shapes. Most likely he also puts way more thought into the pokemon designs then 14+years ago. He won't think up a dragon pokemon and just...draw that...a lizard looking being with wings which is known to spit fire and thus is a fire type pokemon.
You can't blame them for not sticking with remakes of Charizards body type, or the five lines needed for diglett.

To me, all the new pokemon look great. They have great ideas behind them and the ideas were executed in a great way aswell.
Saying the ice cream pokemon is weird, because it is based on food is for me an ignorant thought as there are no limits to what a pokemon can be. All you have to do is look at all of the animals that live on our planet. Look how they adept in the weirdest ways to trick their prey or hunters.
The pokemon universe, I would say, is much farer evolved then ours, so I can see a pokemon taking the shape of food to maybe confuse trainers that want to catch it. Just like the pokeball mushroom pokemon. I can see that happening as a pokeball design is something that will attract all kind of beings, from trainers thinking it is a real pokeball, to pokemon that are curious to take a look at that pokeball.

redroses
8th October 2010, 10:25 PM
double post, sorry!

KuroiMawile
8th October 2010, 10:27 PM
Aliens? I thought Oobemu and pre-vo were the only aliens.

hmmm
8th October 2010, 10:37 PM
I'm surprised that some of these pokemon aren't evolutions of past pokemon.

That afro-bull looks like a Tarous evo, and the pink heart-fish looks like a Luvdisc evo.
I guess it makes sense, with Isshu being so far away, there would be no old-gen pokemon at all. But, really, these pokemon honestly look like they could be an old-gen-evo.

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42
8th October 2010, 11:09 PM
I wish Mamanbou evolved into Luvdisc...

Luke the Almighty
8th October 2010, 11:50 PM
Can't you see robots Pokémon? And what about Beldum/Metang/Metagross? Aren't they robotic spiders? And what about Registeel? Ok, it's a golem (conceptually) but it looks like a robot. And the new Ground/Ghost Pokčmon (Gobitto and evo)? Aren't they robots too? Conceptually, none of them is a robot, 'cause them all are Pokémon. I'm just talking about the way the look.

Gobitto and its evo look more like Golems than the Regi's. Beldum's family is definitley not "robot-spider based." Denchura looks more like a robot spider to me than Metagross.

Sponge
8th October 2010, 11:55 PM

That's not what I meant...

I meant that in the way Aliens would seem foreign and strange to us, so can pokemon be foreign and strange. I was just likening all pokemon to the idea of aliens.

I didn't mean pokemon actually based on aliens.

R_N
8th October 2010, 11:58 PM
Gobitto and its evo look more like Golems than the Regi's. Beldum's family is definitley not "robot-spider based." Denchura looks more like a robot spider to me than Metagross.

Gobitto and it's evolution are, indeed, the closest to actual golems the series has gotten.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/50/Clay-golem.jpg/220px-Clay-golem.jpg
Specifically, probably a clay golem, thus the ground typing.

But they also played up the slight appearance to Super Robots.

Lorde
9th October 2010, 12:28 AM

I dislike those alien Pokemon. Their cries hurt my ears which hasn't happened in a Pokemon game since I heard Screech in Generation 2 games. I think the basis of their design is pretty interesting since aliens are always a neat concept, but I could never see myself using one of them in battle. They just aren't my kind of Pokemon since they aren't colorful.

Don't you mean the opposite? Luvdisc evolving into Mamanbou? I don't think it would've worked out anyway. The only thing those two have it common is their shape and color.

Mr. E Goods
9th October 2010, 12:32 AM

Dont you mean you wish luvdisc evolved into Manembou?

Sabonea_Masukippa:--
A design of a pokemon must be made to remind you that it is a pokemon you are looking at. It should give you the feel of a pokemon and not make you think of something that isn't pokemon. (i.e Kirby, Digimon, Transformers) A definition of pokemon :) Everyone has their own definition of pokemon remember though :)

Rakurai
9th October 2010, 12:41 AM
Ever since I first entered my Jaroda in a musical, there's a been a question that's been bugging me, and that is simply, does it still have arms?

It can hold appeal accessories just fine, but it's incapable of learning Fling, which is almost universally learned by Pokemon with hands. Yet judging from its back sprite, it kind of looks as though it could just be holding its arms behind its back, like the proud Pokemon it is.

I fear that a definitive answer to that question shall never be found.

Mr. E Goods
9th October 2010, 12:45 AM
Ever since I first entered my Jaroda in a musical, there's a been a question that's been bugging me, and that is simply, does it still have arms?

It can hold appeal accessories just fine, but it's incapable of learning Fling, which is almost universally learned by Pokemon with hands. Yet judging from its back sprite, it kind of looks as though it could just be holding its arms behind its back, like the proud Pokemon it is.

I fear that a definitive answer to that question shall never be found.

Yes those tiny leaves behind its back are its hands. Due to it having the most massive tail ever, it wont really need those arms to pick up things.

KuroiMawile
9th October 2010, 12:59 AM
I dislike those alien Pokemon. Their cries hurt my ears which hasn't happened in a Pokemon game since I heard Screech in Generation 2 games. I think the basis of their design is pretty interesting since aliens are always a neat concept, but I could never see myself using one of them in battle. They just aren't my kind of Pokemon since they aren't colorful.

I found Oobemu to be snazzy in the looks department; it's got a pretty nice looking overcoat, and goggles better than Flygon. Plus their cries are up there with Gochizeru and Musharna, in oddness.
Sound like the old-style UFO sound effects.

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 1:08 AM
Jaroda really looks royal, I've always wanted a royal like pok&#233;mon or a snake that isn't a poison type, and now both of this things become one:). I also like it's pose, saying something like that it doesn't care about the other pok&#233;mon. But I got one problem with it:

http://armaina.com/pokemon/Jarooda&#37;20Front.gif

What's it doing actually, is it swallowing something or does it hold it's breath?

Joe.
9th October 2010, 1:25 AM
It's holding it's head up high, because he's a snooty mother****er and doesn't care what you think.

Ophie
9th October 2010, 1:43 AM
You admit that new Pokémon effectively have a very different style respect the old ones.

I would admit it too. But to me, it's a good thing. I fell in love with the franchise in Generation 1 myself, but what it's become, I love even more.

Saying the ice cream pokemon is weird, because it is based on food is for me an ignorant thought as there are no limits to what a pokemon can be. All you have to do is look at all of the animals that live on our planet. Look how they adept in the weirdest ways to trick their prey or hunters.
The pokemon universe, I would say, is much farer evolved then ours, so I can see a pokemon taking the shape of food to maybe confuse trainers that want to catch it. Just like the pokeball mushroom pokemon. I can see that happening as a pokeball design is something that will attract all kind of beings, from trainers thinking it is a real pokeball, to pokemon that are curious to take a look at that pokeball.

That's true. I can think of a few creatures that, by coincidence, look like manmade ideas and concepts.

89 Butterfly:
http://www.ethanol-lie.com/img/IMG_0680a-butterfly-89cCs.jpg

Happy Face Spider:
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1287/happyfaceimage1.jpg

Starfish:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1743/starfishd.jpg

Boxfish:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2163/yellowspottedboxfish.jpg

Streptococcus (beads on a string):
http://www5.pbrc.hawaii.edu/microangela/mstrept3o.jpg

Giant Tube Worm (looks like lipstick monsters to me):
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/94/gianttubeworm.jpg

There's also that breed of dog who looks like a walking carpet sample rack. Its fur is even partitioned off into rectangular flaps with a vaguely carpet-like texture. Does anybody know what they're called?

TheAncient
9th October 2010, 2:13 AM
I still dont understand why luvdisc doesnt evolve into mamanbou....It justs makes matters confusing. I bet someone's gonna level up their luvdisc like crazy so it evolves into mamanbou.

Lorde
9th October 2010, 2:19 AM
I still dont understand why luvdisc doesnt evolve into mamanbou....It justs makes matters confusing. I bet someone's gonna level up their luvdisc like crazy so it evolves into mamanbou.

Well that would have to be a very foolish person since, by now, most people should realize that it usually takes more than just leveling up to evolve a Pokemon. There's trade evolution, stone evolution, specific-location evolution, and so many others. If someone really is going to go around believing that leveling up a Luvdisc will automatically make it evolve into a Mamanbou then they honestly deserve to get their hopes crushed haha :p

Araleon
9th October 2010, 2:35 AM
When will we have the Sugimori Art for all of the Pokemon? I know they were all released online at the same time for HGSS, will the same happen with BW?

Lorde
9th October 2010, 2:37 AM
When will we have the Sugimori Art for all of the Pokemon? I know they were all released online at the same time for HGSS, will the same happen with BW?

Wait for the guidebooks to be released. We'll have almost all of the 5th Generation Pokemon's Ken Sugimori artwork by then. I say "almost all" because I'm pretty sure that Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect are supposed to remain a secret and therefore, won't get artwork anytime soon :[

Araleon
9th October 2010, 2:39 AM
Ah, okay, awesome.

I can't wait to see Daikenki's artwork! Or Urugamosu's so I can finally understand its design...

Atoyont
9th October 2010, 3:00 AM
I found Oobemu to be snazzy in the looks department; it's got a pretty nice looking overcoat, and goggles better than Flygon. Plus their cries are up there with Gochizeru and Musharna, in oddness.
This man knows what's up.

And nature knows no bounds to its weirdness.

Royalty
9th October 2010, 3:26 AM
You know, I love Jaroda. It is one of my absolute favorite starters and is pretty much the only starter line that I like from Black and white...though the water one is growing on me. My only complaint about it is how little it diversifies in it's attacks that are available to it. (Did that make any sense...?) When I first saw it, I was like, "Oh...another grass poison" and then was happy to find out that it was not also poison typed. But now...I kind of wish it was so it could learn more moves. (And I'd bet it would learn bite and crunch if it had the poison type too just to emphasize the fangs)

Auw Pooie!!

SergeiDragunov
9th October 2010, 3:37 AM

Gochiruzeru has one of the most amazing cries ever. Genosect has an awesome one too, it sounds like some kind of alert, like WARNING, WARNING, GENOSECT IS HERE TO PWN YOU.

Mario with Lasers
9th October 2010, 4:06 AM
That is kind of surprising. From what I've seen the monkeys and Yorterrie absolutely plague the early game trainers, right?

Is Yorterrie the first form? Then yes, the amount of wild ones is ridiculous. However, it's only in the early-game, and only a few trainers have it. The monkeys, on the other hand, are quite rare on the wild (special grass encounter in that forest west of the museum city), but it's almost as if every single trainer has them, from first Gym to Victory Road. Seriously guys, tone it down a bit.

YES

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND TIMES YES

KOKOKOROROROMOKORI BELIEVE

MEOWTH THAT'S RIGHT

Hey what if Jessie gets a Koromori?

The lack of any wild Kokoromori made me sob but at least we get to bond with Koromori in order to get Kokoromori via Happiness evolution :3

Lolwut. You have to make it... happy? How the hell do you make such a weakling not instantly die to anything ?_?

Dangoro and its evolutions don't overcrowd all the caves, do they? Looking at Pokéarth, it seems like Game Freak created a lot of Pokémon who could live in caves and dispersed them about various places.

Hoooo boy, you can bet they do. The caves have much more variety than before, but you find Gantoru everyfriggingwhere. It just isn't worse than Zubat/Geodude because it's not fast nor learns Supersonic/Confuse Ray/Selfdestruct so you may run away... If you stay in to fight it, however, more often than not you'll forget it has Sturdy -___- That's one of the reasons Ononokusu is so awesome in-game, Mold Breaker ignores Sturdy so my Digs and Brick Breaks always OHKO them ~__~

Gantoru, you asshat, stop bullying me.

R_N
9th October 2010, 4:53 AM
Hey what if Jessie gets a Koromori?

SHE DID

I have high hopes for super-adorable heart stamping later on

Lolwut. You have to make it... happy? How the hell do you make such a weakling not instantly die to anything ?_?

Go koromori!
*switches*

Magikarp it up

Kariachi
9th October 2010, 4:59 AM
There's also that breed of dog who looks like a walking carpet sample rack. Its fur is even partitioned off into rectangular flaps with a vaguely carpet-like texture. Does anybody know what they're called?

Think I know what you're talking about, and there are two of those breeds. There's the lapdog-sized Puli and the 180 lb Komondor.

Which I would like to see as pokemon in the sixth generation. As electric types, seeing as the breeds are sheepherders/sheep-guards respectively.

;179;

Lorde
9th October 2010, 5:26 AM

I don't know why you're putting it down already. Koromori is actually pretty hardy in battle. It also doesn't take that long to have it evolve into Kokoromori. All you really need to do is give it the Soothe Bell and then just train it for a couple of hours. It might even take less time if you give it a massage in Hiun City. It's probably the easiest Pokemon to evolve via Happiness.

Full Metal Artificer
9th October 2010, 8:49 AM
Does anyone think that Denchura (the Electric spider) might actually be very good? It has respectable Sp. Atk (97) and pretty good Speed (108), and with Compound Eyes it has a STAB 100% Accuracy Thunder! It can also learn Bug Buzz for a second STAB attack with good type coverage between the two, however after those two moves there really isn't anything that great in it's movepool which is the only downside I see to him. His typing also makes him weak to only Fire and Ground.

MetalFlygon08
9th October 2010, 8:58 AM
I just realized, Jynx has an invisable sandwitch!

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 9:13 AM
It's holding it's head up high, because he's a snooty mother****er and doesn't care what you think.

I wasn't talking about it's pose(which is awesome), but about it's mouth, if you look closely it looks like it's swallowing something.

http://armaina.com/pokemon/Jarooda%20Front.gif

However, after looking at it for 20 minutes it looks more like it's saying: "Hmph", like it totaly doesn't care about the other poké.

anotherpromise
9th October 2010, 9:18 AM
I just realized, Jynx has an invisable sandwitch!
As does Snorlax.

Also...
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/10/9/42563fc9-8c94-4668-9733-3c731aa4ce7b.jpg

Congrats. You made a lol

KuroiMawile
9th October 2010, 9:27 AM
Now that's how you eat a foot long; from the middle, so it can't see you coming.

It's nose (Snaking) makes me think it has a really, really high pitched voice. Not just because I heard it.
Also, I think it should've been dark. It's whole line has this 'better than you, and I'll win even if I have to cheat' vibe, and with most dark types being about playing dirty, dark really would've fit it.

That, and I supported the Dark-Psychic-Fighting triangle...but that has nothing to do with anything...

<no matter how much I see, Kurimugan seem like such a random dragon, in a random order, found at a predictable place>

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 9:38 AM
Also, I think it should've been dark. It's whole line has this 'better than you, and I'll win even if I have to cheat' vibe, and with most dark types being about playing dirty, dark really would've fit it.

It's the "Royal" pokémon. I don't think someone that is royal will cheat(IMO).

I do agree with the "better than you" vibe, because(according to the pokédex) it only lowers his head when it's fighting a worthy opponent.

Royalty
9th October 2010, 10:13 AM
I totally agree with the dark typing because of the fact that (even it they are non poisonous and are docile) the first thing that comes to my mind when I see a snake is a snake *Bite*.
Also the whole better than you look and vibe could easily become "...and I will remain that way" theme that stayed with the "Royal" description.
Remember the Wicked Queen? She had a smug look that became an evil look when she had to...remove...the fairest of them all in order to regain that title.
Plus...it could have used more variety in attack types.

Rakurai
9th October 2010, 10:24 AM
I personally see it as being more of the snobbish gentleman/woman type.

A jerk who hates to lose, and would never admit to someone being better, but still is moral enough to not do anything underhanded.

Mr. E Goods
9th October 2010, 11:22 AM
I think Jarouda is shedding it's skin, in such a way that it forms a collor, that makes it look classy and royal.

Ophie
9th October 2010, 12:35 PM
Think I know what you're talking about, and there are two of those breeds. There's the lapdog-sized Puli and the 180 lb Komondor.

Which I would like to see as pokemon in the sixth generation. As electric types, seeing as the breeds are sheepherders/sheep-guards respectively.

;179;

I looked them up, and wow, they're bizarre. They're walking mops. Another great example!

But the one I'm thinking of has a medium gray fur and a long snout reminiscent of poodles. It's a very large dog; when I saw it in a dog show, it went up to the owner's shoulders. And its fur really does hang off in rectangular shapes. It does it naturally.

I personally see it as being more of the snobbish gentleman/woman type.

A jerk who hates to lose, and would never admit to someone being better, but still is moral enough to not do anything underhanded.

I would agree. It seems to be motivated primarily by pride, and if it considers cheating to be immoral, it won't do so.

redroses
9th October 2010, 1:05 PM
I looked them up, and wow, they're bizarre. They're walking mops. Another great example!

But the one I'm thinking of has a medium gray fur and a long snout reminiscent of poodles. It's a very large dog; when I saw it in a dog show, it went up to the owner's shoulders. And its fur really does hang off in rectangular shapes. It does it naturally.

Is this the dog you mean(it's called a Bergamasco)?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Bergamasco_600.jpg

Also, I find this extinct shark to also be a good example for how weird nature can be.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/images/061024-weird-animals.jpg

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 1:19 PM
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/seasons.shtml

according to a image the grass is in the summer bleu/green. Since when is grass bleu in the summer! but it actually does fits.

Wordy
9th October 2010, 2:50 PM
I still think Shinbora is by far the most interesting in terms of basis and source, at least in this generation. As far as I can see it is based off of the Nazca lines, the geolyphs showing various images of animals such as monkeys, birds etc. in South America. Alternatively, with a bit more digging it could be based off of a Kachina doll, such as this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/89/Kachina_Metal_Statue_with_Wings_Carefree_AZ.jpg/240px-Kachina_Metal_Statue_with_Wings_Carefree_AZ.jpg

It certainly has quite the anomalous movepool, knowing attacks such as Ice Beam, Flash Cannon and Knock Down. It is also the only ingame Pok&#233;mon to have the ability Miracle Skin, halving the chances of a status move working, but considering how it also has Magic Guard, it is unlikely that anybody will take advantage of it, considering how the advantages of one far outweigh the other.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/eb/561.png

<no matter how much I see, Kurimugan seem like such a random dragon, in a random order, found at a predictable place>

This is something I want to pick up on. I haven't seen a single person physically list Crimgan on their ingame team, to the point of which I actually want one myself if only to see how good it really is. On paper, defensively it is one of the best non-legendary Dragons so far with base 90 apiece, and a base 120 Attack no matter what is never something to sniff at. It will carve out an interesting niche for itself, especially seeing how it has Encourage to power up moves such as Crunch and Dragon Tail (which due to its decreased priority would never be affected by Speed anyway.)

Even just having Mold Breaker or Rough Skin would be great as Sharpedo is always criminally underused and it has a powerful Earthquake for those who had Levitate- admittedly it would seem like a bit of an Ononokus-lite, but Dream World abilities are always useful to think about.

AwesomeTree
9th October 2010, 3:02 PM
Am I the only one to think Kyuremu is the Blue Eyes White Dragon?

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 3:29 PM
Rankurusu has the abilities Dust-proof and Magic gaurd, but isn't Dust-proof a bit unnecesary, because it also can have Magic gaurd?

SergeiDragunov
9th October 2010, 3:35 PM
This is something I want to pick up on. I haven't seen a single person physically list Crimgan on their ingame team, to the point of which I actually want one myself if only to see how good it really is.

Why hello there. *points down*

cottageboy789
9th October 2010, 4:12 PM
One pokemon I haven't seen on any teams is Marakacchi. Its stats are awful, but its Sp. Atk. is still good at 106. It also has a pretty bad movepool, but still I thought i would have seen someone use it by now.

Grei
9th October 2010, 4:32 PM
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/seasons.shtml

according to a image the grass is in the summer bleu/green. Since when is grass bleu in the summer! but it actually does fits.

*blue.

Also, I don't think it's meant to actually look blue, it's supposed to look full. In the spring, the grass is starting to get it's color back, and in summer it's gotten thicker and livelier.

Am I the only one to think Kyuremu is the Blue Eyes White Dragon?

Yes, just like that one guy thought Reshiram was Blue Eyes White Dragon because it had blue eyes and was a white dragon.

There's virtually no resemblance between any of the three Yin/Yang Dragons and Blue Eyes White Dragon, other than one or two of them possibly being white-ish in color with blue-ish eyes.

Rankurusu has the abilities Dust-proof and Magic gaurd, but isn't Dust-proof a bit unnecesary, because it also can have Magic gaurd?

*guard

I heard that Dust-proof covers your entire team. I don't understand why they would give a Pokemon two abilities, with one trumping the other (although I guess if you think about it, they're just ensuring Ranculus has Dust-proof's abilities no matter what ability it actually has), but I think Dust-Proof is more oriented toward team while Magic Guard is singular.

One pokemon I haven't seen on any teams is Marakacchi. Its stats are awful, but its Sp. Atk. is still good at 106. It also has a pretty bad movepool, but still I thought i would have seen someone use it by now.

... well, considering that it's stats are awful except for Sp. Atk (which is trumped by a number of other Pokemon anyway) and that it's movepool is bad, does it not make sense that nobody is using it?

Csully44
9th October 2010, 5:00 PM
I hate the new ice cream evolution stages

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 5:06 PM
I hate the new ice cream evolution stages

You can't like them all. I don't hate it, I think it's actually funny.

cottageboy789
9th October 2010, 5:17 PM
... well, considering that it's stats are awful except for Sp. Atk (which is trumped by a number of other Pokemon anyway) and that it's movepool is bad, does it not make sense that nobody is using it?

True, but its design really isn't that bad. Whatever though. I might use it, might not. My pre-planned teams never work out anyways,

Csully44
9th October 2010, 5:25 PM
it is cute but it was a bad idea but i might use it if im desperate

Csully44
9th October 2010, 5:29 PM
it is cute i might use it if that desperate
Sorry 4 the hate comment

redroses
9th October 2010, 5:29 PM
I actually like Kurimugan's design, as it reminds of different thorny plants. His wings remind me very much of this plant:
http://www.voodoochilli.net/uploads/Photography/images/10592_28468.jpg
The thorns on his body also remind me very much on those thorns found on a lot of plants, like this one:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs8/f/2006/350/7/3/l_i_t_t_l_e_Red_____by_iparadox.jpg
And his head looking like this thorny plant
http://i.pbase.com/g6/22/741922/2/76143555.ScwrcNLb.jpg

Anyway, I really hope he is based somewhat on different thorny flowers, because that makes him so much cooler!

Csully44
9th October 2010, 5:31 PM
What ya talkin bout redroses

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 5:39 PM
What ya talkin bout redroses

He's talking about: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/nikohesus/Pokemon/621.png

Csully44
9th October 2010, 5:43 PM
ok what type is it

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 5:58 PM
ok what type is it

Dragon, but perhaps you should search in the BW pokédex next time.

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/isshudex.shtml

Isis-sama
9th October 2010, 5:58 PM
It's a pure dragon type. No offense but you should really look at the information available on various fansites before you post in this thread so you know what everyone's talking about and don't hang up the discussions with obvious questions . . . I know the main Serebii.net site can't show images due to the C & D but Bulbapedia still can, you can find everything you need to know (for now) about Black and White there.

Wordy
9th October 2010, 6:04 PM
Serebii's showing sprites again.

I like your plant analogies, redroses. No matter what I quite like that idea.

What is the verdict on Miruhoggu so far? It seems to be quite murderous earlygame, especially with Aloe's, but when the game evens out it becomes mediocre.

The Murando line, on the other hand, is deadly. Wild Bolt, Return, Cheer Up, the fangs... and that Attack stat is nothing to sniff at. My god for an early-obtained Normal type it beats all other competitors. The Defenses are great and it has good Speed.

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 6:13 PM
I know the main Serebii.net site can't show images due to the C & D but Bulbapedia still can, you can find everything you need to know (for now) about Black and White there.

He can show pictures again for around 4 days now.

SergeiDragunov
9th October 2010, 6:16 PM
Serebii's showing sprites again.

I like your plant analogies, redroses. No matter what I quite like that idea.

What is the verdict on Miruhoggu so far? It seems to be quite murderous earlygame, especially with Aloe's, but when the game evens out it becomes mediocre.

The Murando line, on the other hand, is deadly. Wild Bolt, Return, Cheer Up, the fangs... and that Attack stat is nothing to sniff at. My god for an early-obtained Normal type it beats all other competitors. The Defenses are great and it has good Speed.

Murrando is win. That line is easily the best option for an early-game Pokemon. Leparudasu isn't half-bad either though.

Nacreous
9th October 2010, 7:53 PM
Murrando is win. That line is easily the best option for an early-game Pokemon. Leparudasu isn't half-bad either though.

Leparudasu has horrible defenses and mediocre attacks...it has stat boosting moves like Claw Sharpen but it doesn't have the defenses to actually boost its stats>.>

SergeiDragunov
9th October 2010, 8:05 PM
Leparudasu has horrible defenses and mediocre attacks...it has stat boosting moves like Claw Sharpen but it doesn't have the defenses to actually boost its stats>.>

For an early-game Pokemon it's good. Nice speed too. I'm going to call it similar to Mightyena.

Wordy
9th October 2010, 8:05 PM

It's such a shame as well. At least it's better than its Third Gen counterpart, Mightyena, which sucked royally worse.

It has great potential, but first GF removed Dark Pulse as a TM (they hate special-orientated Darks, obviously), which could have worked well with Encore, Fake Tears and Nasty Plot, or something similar, and then it has a crappy special movepool anyway. All that's left are its physicals- and there's just Claw Sharpen, Night Slash, Fake Out and Aerial Ace to really make a moveset out of.

That's Gen V's biggest problem- movepools for some new Pokémon. BTW, why the hell did they make Postpone (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM60) of all things a TM when only a couple of Pokémon learn it? Dark Pulse should totally be a TM.

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 8:21 PM
BTW, why the hell did they make Postpone (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM60) of all things a TM when only a couple of Pokémon learn it? Dark Pulse should totally be a TM.

Postpone does the same thing as You First(It makes the targeted pokémon attack last)

R_N
9th October 2010, 8:24 PM
Postpone does the same thing as You First(It makes the targeted pokémon attack last)

That...that isn't like You First at all

Unless you're using it in singles in which case why are you using it in singles

Blazios
9th October 2010, 8:36 PM

You First makes the target attack first, which is the exact opposite of Postpone.

Mario with Lasers
9th October 2010, 8:38 PM
For an early-game Pokemon it's good. Nice speed too. I'm going to call it similar to Mightyena.

Lol no. Reparudasu is HORRIBLE in-game, specially as a Choroneko. It learns its first STAB move, Pursuit, at lv14, and learns Night Slash as a Reparudasu only at lv43. Its defenses simply don't help it in the least.

On the other hand, it may be actually useful competitively, as it gets Mischievous Heart as a DW ability... And Encore, Yawn, Trickery, Thunder Wave, Torment, Snatch, Sucker Punch, lol even Nasty Plot and other two good abilities. Not OU material by any means, but at least useful, unlike Mightyena.

That's Gen V's biggest problem- movepools for some new Pokémon. BTW, why the hell did they make Postpone (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM60) of all things a TM when only a couple of Pokémon learn it? Dark Pulse should totally be a TM.

Don't forget Ice Breath (only Ice-types learn it) and Free Fall (seriously only a handful Flying-types learn it, **** you Game Freak).

At least I can hope Sleep Talk and Dark Pulse to be Move Tutors in Grey.

KuroiMawile
9th October 2010, 8:40 PM
could say it's Me First, but I think Postpone goes no matter what... otherwise that's a crap-move unless with that one ability that makes non-attacking moves go first, but then why use postpone when you can use something that actually does lower the opponents something.

I think Gear and Evolutions were screwed in the attack or stat department. Some 2 physical moves for it's 100 attack, and a basket of specials for it's 70 sp.attack.

R_N
9th October 2010, 8:41 PM
You First makes the target attack first, which is the exact opposite of Postpone.

Technically, it makes the target go second. The You First person goes first, so in a singles battle it would do the same thing as Postpone

Neither of which should ever be used in Singles.

R_N
9th October 2010, 8:52 PM
could say it's Me First, but I think Postpone goes no matter what... otherwise that's a crap-move unless with that one ability that makes non-attacking moves go first, but then why use postpone when you can use something that actually does lower the opponents something.

I think Gear and Evolutions were screwed in the attack or stat department. Some 2 physical moves for it's 100 attack, and a basket of specials for it's 70 sp.attack.

It is a shame, isn't it? And it only really has Steel & Electric attacks. If he only got Wild Bolt, he could probably run Gear Change, Gear Saucer, Wild Bolt and...I don't know. Maybe Thunder Wave?

He will probably shine in Triple & Doubles when paired with another Plus/Minus pokemon. It will boost that special attack of his to very useable levels. ... though, again, it would just be Mirror Shot & Thunderbolt.

Well let's hope that maybe the third game or remakes add in some nice tutors for the guy (or new TMs, since you can't trade those anymore...)

Wordy
9th October 2010, 8:53 PM
Don't forget Ice Breath (only Ice-types learn it) and Free Fall (seriously only a handful Flying-types learn it, **** you Game Freak).

Holy **** that sucks. Nobody learns it, and not one person will ever use it competitively because of how limited it is. Admittedly, it stops the target from moving as well, so that is one use.

At least it learns Metal Sound to make up for it. Metal Sound/Flash Cannon/Charge Beam/Chargeworks fine.

I prefer my gimmick set of Gear Change/Gear Saucer/Screech/Return for Gigigear, though. So cool. :3

jakovu
9th October 2010, 9:11 PM
This is kind of random, but has anybody noticed that Miruhoggu has more base egg steps than Minezumi?

Lorde
9th October 2010, 9:15 PM
This is kind of random, but has anybody noticed that Miruhoggu has more base egg steps than Minezumi?

I haven't noticed but if that's true, then it's an interesting discovery. I've never given much thought to Minezumi even though I had used one for a while in the games, and Miruhoggu is one of the creepiest Pokemon out there, second only to Maggyo so I never took the time to research the number of steps it would take to hatch a Miruhoggu egg, if that's even possible haha.

Haunter ゴースト
9th October 2010, 9:20 PM
Hey guys does anybody know if Ken Sugimori's Official Artwork has been released anywhere yet, or is their at least any newer ones?

Lorde
9th October 2010, 9:26 PM
Hey guys does anybody know if Ken Sugimori's Official Artwork has been released anywhere yet, or is their at least any newer ones?

I remember seeing the Ken Sugimori artwork for Hatoopoo, Choroneko's evolved form and Yooterii's evolved form posted a week ago so you might have to search for it a few pages back. Apart from those, I don't believe there's been any new artwork released. It doesn't surprise me though, since we won't get it all until next month most likely.

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 9:49 PM

http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-bw/youfirst.shtml

I'm sure the "it" in the description is the opponent. Or i just miread it and that the "it" is actually is your pok&#233;mon, but then it doesn't make sense. Or it could be a typo and the word "last" should be "first".

Mario with Lasers
9th October 2010, 9:58 PM
You First makes the target move first. Its use is, well, Doubles/Triples, for instance, You Firsting a Trick Room user.

And lol yet another description Serebii got wrong somehow.

RedMage23
9th October 2010, 10:07 PM
I would think that it would be pretty clear that "You First" makes the target move first...

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 10:19 PM
I would think that it would be pretty clear that "You First" makes the target move first...

I thought that at first too, until I read that(probably wrong)description.

Csully44
9th October 2010, 10:58 PM
hey you first is just like me first but not the mirror move way right?!

Csully44
9th October 2010, 10:59 PM

Dracoste
9th October 2010, 11:15 PM

You first let the target pokémon attack before the others, but the attack You first isn't an attack that goes first so it's handy that you give it to a fast pokémon and use it on a strong slow teammate.

Csully44
9th October 2010, 11:30 PM
Who do u think i should use Gochiruzeru or the flying psychic fruit bat

Royalty
9th October 2010, 11:36 PM
I actually like Kurimugan's design, as it reminds of different thorny plants. His wings remind me very much of this plant:
http://www.voodoochilli.net/uploads/Photography/images/10592_28468.jpg
The thorns on his body also remind me very much on those thorns found on a lot of plants, like this one:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs8/f/2006/350/7/3/l_i_t_t_l_e_Red_____by_iparadox.jpg
And his head looking like this thorny plant
http://i.pbase.com/g6/22/741922/2/76143555.ScwrcNLb.jpg

Anyway, I really hope he is based somewhat on different thorny flowers, because that makes him so much cooler!

You know...while I do not like the dragon's look at all, your ideas on it's inspiration make me able to appreciate it when I look at it that way. I still just don't like it because it looks so...random. If I could ask for a total re-do on any design, that dragon would be one of my top picks.

KuroiMawile
10th October 2010, 2:50 AM
With those similar roots to plants, I'm surprised it isn't Grass/Dragon. (which would be 'mazin')

KuroiMawile
10th October 2010, 2:51 AM
double scoop of baibanira

SergeiDragunov
10th October 2010, 3:43 AM
double scoop of baibanira

I think they should've scrapped the first stage of that line and added an evolution to 2-Scoop that was a sundae.

Lorde
10th October 2010, 3:47 AM
http://floatzel.net/pokemon/black-white/sprites/images/598.png

This new Grass/Steel-type Pokemon, Nattorei; what the heck is it supposed to be?! I've looked everywhere I could and I still have no idea what it's based upon. I thought maybe it's suppose to be a UFO but then I don't understand what those three discs in the back are supposed to be. I thought maybe it was supposed to be some sort of thorn Pokemon but the metal part says otherwise. Would anyone know what it's based off of or what it's name stems from?

rocky505
10th October 2010, 3:59 AM

This new Grass/Steel-type Pokemon, Nattorei; what the heck is it supposed to be?! I've looked everywhere I could and I still have no idea what it's based upon. I thought maybe it's suppose to be a UFO but then I don't understand what those three discs in the back are supposed to be. I thought maybe it was supposed to be some sort of thorn Pokemon but the metal part says otherwise. Would anyone know what it's based off of or what it's name stems from? Bulbagarden says that it's pre evo is based on a durian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

MetalFlygon08
10th October 2010, 4:00 AM
a chigger, or cling on, or bristle, they are all the same thing(iirc chigger is the correct term) if you run throgh the woods alot, chances are you will find them stuck to your clothing.

We have them all over the place in Illinois, they are in woods, and to pollonate, they stick small barbed balls to passerbys, and pollination occurs.

I'm assuming the little one is the seed, ad the bigger one's vines would be what attaches them as clingons to passery pokemon.

R_N
10th October 2010, 4:10 AM
The vines presumably attach to the ceiling/wall/whatever, too. That's the impression its animation gave me

Rakurai
10th October 2010, 4:18 AM
The vines presumably attach to the ceiling/wall/whatever, too. That's the impression its animation gave me

You're correct in that presumption, since that's precisely what it does according to its dex description.

SergeiDragunov
10th October 2010, 4:27 AM
Does anyone happen to have the animated sprite for Jaroda minus the shadow?

MetalFlygon08
10th October 2010, 4:31 AM
not yet, but I'm working on it...

Sabonea_Masukippa
10th October 2010, 5:37 AM
And lol yet another description Serebii got wrong somehow.

And lol yet another smug Smogon user.

I did the translations for all the moves on Serebii and I'm sick to death of all the crap people have been spouting. That's what it says in the in-game descriptions and that's all I had to go off and often I was doing it without reference to attack names because of the way the text dump was structured.

Now, it may be a little unclear (but when translating 10000 words in two days while flicking between word documents under time pressure for free not everything is going to be perfect) and I'll try to get him to clarify it but that "Haha Serebii suxs" attitude is so sanctimonious it makes me nuts. If you have a problem either PM him or me and ask for a fix/clarification or learn Japanese and translate it better yourself.

R_N
10th October 2010, 5:41 AM
*scribbles down reason #24 as to why translating a game is time consuming*

koolhk
10th October 2010, 8:02 AM
Does anyone have a Zorua egg they would consider trading, I don't have much but I have some Pokemon which might be of use?

Lorde
10th October 2010, 8:17 AM
a chigger, or cling on, or bristle, they are all the same thing(iirc chigger is the correct term) if you run throgh the woods alot, chances are you will find them stuck to your clothing.

We have them all over the place in Illinois, they are in woods, and to pollonate, they stick small barbed balls to passerbys, and pollination occurs.

I'm assuming the little one is the seed, ad the bigger one's vines would be what attaches them as clingons to passery pokemon.

Wow. I didn't think it would be a plant Pokemon right off the bat since, despite it's Grass-type, it looks much more like a machine than a plant (because of it's metallic appearance). I wouldn't have even been able to tell that it was a Grass-type had I not looked it up on the Serebii Black/White Dex and noticed it had a unique type combination. I've seen those little barbed balls too though I wouldn't have expected Game Freak to go with something so pesky for a Pokemon design haha.

Royalty
10th October 2010, 11:06 AM

This new Grass/Steel-type Pokemon, Nattorei; what the heck is it supposed to be?! I've looked everywhere I could and I still have no idea what it's based upon. I thought maybe it's suppose to be a UFO but then I don't understand what those three discs in the back are supposed to be. I thought maybe it was supposed to be some sort of thorn Pokemon but the metal part says otherwise. Would anyone know what it's based off of or what it's name stems from?

It actually reminds me of a blast from my child hood. I have no idea what they are called, but I think they were some type of weed or seed. They were practically perfectly round disks, they had tons of little spiky bristles, they were anywhere from green (and soft) to this creamy tan (and sharp). I'd randomly find them in my back yard and school yard.

A quick question about the 3 morning star like arms too...
Are those 3 extra heads or just morning star like arms?
I saw an image somewhere that showed the arms bent downward and it looked like there were eyes on all 3. Maybe I was sleepy?

Dracoste
10th October 2010, 11:20 AM
A quick question about the 3 morning star like arms too...
Are those 3 extra heads or just morning star like arms?
I saw an image somewhere that showed the arms bent downward and it looked like there were eyes on all 3. Maybe I was sleepy?

W dex entry: Nattorei 598: It attaches itself to cave ceilings. When prey passes beneath, it assaults them with a barrage of iron spikes.

B dex entry: Nattorei 598: It fights by brandishing its spiked tentacles. When it slams its steel spikes down, the destructive force shatters boulders.

I think he uses his arms to attach itself to ceilings and attack with them.

Royalty
10th October 2010, 11:44 AM
Oh, ok. Cool Beans. I don't know were I got the memory of eyes from. Maybe I was super sleepy and just looked at some fan drawing.
Thank you Dracoste. :)

P.S. Though if it did have eyes...It would make me think that it was inspired by the tongue of the monsters from tremors. Now that'd be a creepy evolution...

Ophie
10th October 2010, 1:40 PM
Is this the dog you mean(it's called a Bergamasco)?

Certainly looks like it. I think that's the one.

So it resembles both a carpet sampling rack AND roof shingles. That's great.

It certainly has quite the anomalous movepool, knowing attacks such as Ice Beam, Flash Cannon and Knock Down. It is also the only ingame Pokémon to have the ability Miracle Skin, halving the chances of a status move working, but considering how it also has Magic Guard, it is unlikely that anybody will take advantage of it, considering how the advantages of one far outweigh the other.

Each effect concerns different conditions. Miracle Skin halves the chance of a status move working, but that's an entirely different class than indirect damage. Magic Guard will not prevent the effects of Sleep, Freeze, Paralyze, or the Attack drop of Burn.

Miracle Skin will not prevent it either, but they become inaccurate. For instance, Boiling Water, when done to a Pokémon with Miracle Skin, will have a 15% chance of Burn instead of 30%. Spore's accuracy becomes 50% instead of 100%.

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I heard Dustproof will protect all of your partners from weather damage in double, triple, and rotation battles.

Consider that a challenge. It may take me some time, but I will figure out a use for Marakacchi. After all, it's pretty cute.

Holy **** that sucks. Nobody learns it, and not one person will ever use it competitively because of how limited it is. Admittedly, it stops the target from moving as well, so that is one use.

Free Fall has its uses in double and triple battles. It is essentially preventing one of your opponent's Pokémon from making a move. If your opponent has a slower Pokémon that you think is a threat or is about to set something up, you target that Pokémon with Free Fall. On top of that, your opponent's attacks that target the Free Fall user will miss that turn.

It probably shines more in doubles than triples, since doing so can restrict your opponent to one Pokémon every other turn. It's probably still somewhat specialized, but unlike Fake Out, you can use it more than once without switching.

ryodragonite
10th October 2010, 3:01 PM
I just got the emo-Snowflakes guy.. Hes pretty good but his defense is horrible. A one hit KO for a move thats not even worthy of mentioning. Anyway free falls not that bad.

Dr. Leggs
10th October 2010, 4:25 PM
Each effect concerns different conditions. Miracle Skin halves the chance of a status move working, but that's an entirely different class than indirect damage. Magic Guard will not prevent the effects of Sleep, Freeze, Paralyze, or the Attack drop of Burn.

Magic Guard does prevent full paralysis (but the speed drop will still occur).

Aureon
10th October 2010, 7:03 PM
Does anyone know where I can read the descriptions about the pokemon itself? I don't even play the games, I just find them interesting to read, especially the legendary's descriptions, behaviors/myths etc.

Dracoste
10th October 2010, 7:24 PM
Does anyone know where I can read the descriptions about the pokemon itself? I don't even play the games, I just find them interesting to read, especially the legendary's descriptions, behaviors/myths etc.

Do you mean the dex entries?

black: http://pokebeach.com/2010/09/pokemon-black-pokedex-entries
white: http://pokebeach.com/2010/09/pokemon-black-and-white-pokedex-entries

Aureon
10th October 2010, 8:27 PM
Thanks buddy!

I was actually surprised these weren't just as anticipated as the images, maybe cos I don't play the games. I just like seeing what they come up with and seeing the different types and how they're related.

Wordy
10th October 2010, 10:05 PM

Miracle Skin will not prevent it either, but they become inaccurate. For instance, Boiling Water, when done to a Pokémon with Miracle Skin, will have a 15% chance of Burn instead of 30%. Spore's accuracy becomes 50% instead of 100%.

What I was really referring to was how much each ability would be used in the metagame. In comparison to Magic Guard, which will be near guaranteed to be helpful in near every battle, Miracle Skin is much more circumstancial. Whereas weather teams will still be commonplace and statuses are still assured to be highly in use, Miracle Skin just halves the likelihood of status moves taking effect, making it more specialized and therefore "gimmicky".

I'm actually unsure as to whether it works like that for moves such as Boiling Water, however. I think it's only for primary effects, meaning that Thunder's 30% chance of paralysis is not halved because the primary is the damage whereas the status is secondary.

There's actually somebody whose YouTube videos I watch who may be able to give Miracle Skin a way of "breaking in" just like how they actually made Plusle and Minun work properly with and without one another, so I'm just looking forward to seeing whether or not they actually can change my opinion on it, although admittedly they only record games that can be played on the television, so until Gen V's Battle Revolution equivalent comes out I'll never be truly sure.

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I heard Dustproof will protect all of your partners from weather damage in double, triple, and rotation battles.

Something I'm unsure of as well. Bulbapedia is dreadfully ambiguous right now. I can see it being used tremendously in multi-Poké battles if that is indeed the case, and although it will be made redundant on certain Pokémon if it indeed protects only the ability holder, at the same time it is still helpful on others.

It probably shines more in doubles than triples, since doing so can restrict your opponent to one Pokémon every other turn. It's probably still somewhat specialized, but unlike Fake Out, you can use it more than once without switching.

A Freefaller could be placed in the centre, leaving only Acrobats to worry about, and the Pokémon in the centre on the other side.

Can anyone actually see Follow Me seeing far more usage now, especially on a central Pokémon, or the one in the middle? If a Clefable had the appropriate EV spread it could be used to divert attention away from the two on either side and take a fair few hits. If one had a Dragon Dancer, for example, one could use Ononokus, boost for a while, then use a move such as Dragon Claw to great effect.

The one style I'm not seeing much coverage of right now is Rotation Battles, although that really belongs in a separate thread. It adds a much needed additional layer of strategy to the traditional format, and rejuvenates it somewhat.

Ophie
10th October 2010, 10:49 PM
Regarding those videos you mention with Plusle and Minun--who is it, specifically?

And yeah, you're right--I looked further into this, and it only halves the accuracy of moves that inflict a status condition. That is still incredibly useful against Pokémon who use a status condition as a center of their strategy, most notably Darkrai, Smeargle, Breloom, Togekiss, Dunsparce, Gardevoir, Dusclops, and Shuckle.)

While my team in my signature is for triple battles, rotation battles also interest me, and my next team will be for that mode. That being said, I'm seeing a lack of ANY battling styles in Black/White over YouTube in any mode but single battles.

R_N
10th October 2010, 11:13 PM
While my team in my signature is for triple battles, rotation battles also interest me, and my next team will be for that mode. That being said, I'm seeing a lack of ANY battling styles in Black/White over YouTube in any mode but single battles.

Singles is the most well-known at this point. Most people really don't bother with doubles at all, maybe because there are no real doubles tiering.

With any luck the eventual PBR2 will make Triples & Rotation more popular

Lorde
10th October 2010, 11:17 PM
W dex entry: Nattorei 598: It attaches itself to cave ceilings. When prey passes beneath, it assaults them with a barrage of iron spikes.

B dex entry: Nattorei 598: It fights by brandishing its spiked tentacles. When it slams its steel spikes down, the destructive force shatters boulders.

I think he uses his arms to attach itself to ceilings and attack with them.

Wow, thanks for the PokeDex entries! That sounds like one vicious Pokemon to be honest, not something I'd ever want to run into in a dark cave lol. That whole "brandishing it's spiked tentacles" thing makes me think that it's three discs/orbs serve as flails almost.

Wordy
10th October 2010, 11:37 PM
The YouTuber I watch most is Overhazard. Some of those strategies are really inspirational, and it's always nice to see people actually thinking about movesets and team synergy rather than regurgitating whatever Smogon says. I wish I was on that level sometimes, because every single team I plot always seems so dull and predictable. The descriptions are also really lengthy, and I enjoy reading them.

The big problem with Rotation I can see right now is how it is less easily plottable than singles, doubles and triples. Whereas one can easily see routes etc. right away as soon as one gets onto the move selection menus, with rotation you have to think- do I stick or twist? It's much more about mindgames than any of the others can aspire to be, and even then you have to factor in the three your opponent has on the field. If there ever is online PBR-style I can see the timer running out much more easily than for other formats, with the amount of thinking involved. If they switch to X because I have Y on the field, then should I myself switch to Z? That sort of thing.

To keep this on topic, I quite like Barujiina as well. I've always liked vultures ever since The Jungle Book. Maybe when she uses Sing A Round and Echo Voice it sings 'That's What Friends Are For'? She doesn't have the haircut, but we can't have everything.

It's good to see more traditional counterparts, I feel, both in terms of typing and in general, with Wargle being offensive whilst Barujiina is defensive.

Ophie
10th October 2010, 11:38 PM
I see. That's what I thought.

I am Overhazard. Well, now you know what I intend to bring to triple battles.

Yeah. PBR1, by making double battling the default style for online play, made sure there's a constant stream of people playing double battles. Triple battles and rotation battles are harder to figure out than double battles though, and I doubt Genius Sonority would throw people into those situations like that. They will most certainly give more time for these sorts of battles, considering I've seen plenty of folks use up much of their alloted 60 seconds in double battles already.

I had been watching YouTube videos of triple battles and rotation battles, however few there are, and I haven't seen even one video that shows them swapping Pokémon positions. So I reckon triple battles and rotation battles, as of yet, are still quite poorly understood. Maybe I'll look them up with the Japanese names of the games.

I read that Pokédex entry about Nattorei--it sounds like it's based on Spanish moss or dodder. Both of them are wild jumbles of vines, hang down from places, and don't produce much photosynthesis. Both are also entirely devoid of leaves, though Nattorei has no need to be green, it living in lightless caves to begin with.

Wordy
10th October 2010, 11:54 PM
Forgive me for squeeing like a fangirl, because this is so cool.

We are still within the first month (just about) so I guess that that is the main reason why not many people are into it yet. I'm sure it was like this for Double Battles in Gen III equally, just that was back in 2003 and online media weren't so widespread, YouTube hadn't even been established yet. Things will definitely pick up once people see how triple battles aren't just a case of 'slap another Pok&#233;mon on the end and pretend it's a whole new style,' which is what some people initially thought it was. You can see it here if you can compare the dates of announcement with the Confirmed Info Discussion Thread.

I enjoy the Dex entries, and I always enjoy reading about the behaviours, even if it has no real impact on gameplay. At least they're no longer squeamish talking about droppings etc., and are trying to be more scientific in their analyses- but in all honesty, not that much.

I quite like how Kaburuchi steals Chobomaki's helmet during the trade and instead leaves behind its own shed skin for Chobomaki to patch together into an outfit. Little touches like this really make me appreciate these games.

Ophie
11th October 2010, 12:16 AM
Wow, thanks. I'll probably be revealing my rotation battles team later on over here too. (It'll also consist only of Generation 5 Pokémon.)

Yeah, I don't think double battles really hit its stride until Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD, where doubles was the default structure. Who knows? We may be getting something like that, except full of triple battles and rotation battles.

The Pokédex data are still just as full of implausibilities as ever. While we don't have anything as ridiculous as Alakazam's IQ of 5,000, we still have large Pokémon being WAY too light for their size, and, as an example, Rigray's Pokédex description being blatantly untrue. It says no one had seen it in 50 years, yet we have trainers scattered all over Isshu wielding Rigrays and Ohbems.

Oh, is that shed skin on Agilder? I just figured it decided to find a mask and take up ninjutsu to get revenge.

KuroiMawile
11th October 2010, 12:34 AM
Maybe that 50 years, ended recently?

Ememew
11th October 2010, 12:39 AM
I thought I'd read it somewhere as it didn't appear until 50 years ago, not that it disappeared 50 years ago . . . course, I don't have the games, nor do I speak Japanese . . . but I'm pretty sure I heard it that way on these forums at one point.

Ophie
11th October 2010, 12:45 AM
It says something to the extent of, "It was seen in the desert 50 years ago. No one has seen it since." That implies you are the first person to find them. Of course, the logic flaw is that it seems many others had seen it before you.

Ememew
11th October 2010, 12:49 AM
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, that is kind of contradictory . . .

KuroiMawile
11th October 2010, 1:05 AM
re-read... oh pokedex, why can't you make sense.

R_N
11th October 2010, 3:06 AM
Wow, thanks. I'll probably be revealing my rotation battles team later on over here too. (It'll also consist only of Generation 5 Pokémon.)
I am so excited. I hope you find a way to maybe record your DS random battles until PBR 2 or what have you releases.
Always enjoy your videos~

The Pokédex data are still just as full of implausibilities as ever. While we don't have anything as ridiculous as Alakazam's IQ of 5,000, we still have large Pokémon being WAY too light for their size, and, as an example, Rigray's Pokédex description being blatantly untrue. It says no one had seen it in 50 years, yet we have trainers scattered all over Isshu wielding Rigrays and Ohbems.

Oh, is that shed skin on Agilder? I just figured it decided to find a mask and take up ninjutsu to get revenge.
Are Ohbems & Rigrays the aliens?
Eh, it could be about 50 years, and have only recently been seen again and caught. Or even the year Isshu takes place in, for that matter.

...which one is Agilder? The ninja bug?

Sabonea_Masukippa
11th October 2010, 10:06 AM
I did the translations and yeah, it's that Riguray first appeared 50 years ago, coming from the other side of the desert (reference to the Roswell Incident). I believe that the Pokebeach ones just have a typo, that's all.

Also, there was an interesting interview with the story writer for BW on the GF staff blog the other day. Once I get more time (probably from tomorrow) I'll go through and do a nice translation.

Ophie
11th October 2010, 12:01 PM
Wow, that would be very nice. I look forward to reading it. (So according to the Pok&#233;dex, it turns out that they showed up 50 years ago, but people have seen it since?)

I have to wonder if Nintendo will make a way to display battles, since we've reached the point where the battles already look fairly impressive on the DS.

Another Pok&#233;dex entry that's inconsistent with the game are the Hitomoshi line: They say that their flames can suck up souls from still-living bodies through touch (particularly Chandela), but that obviously doesn't happen in battles.

Desumasu is also said to be the soul of a human being, though in spite of this, you can still breed them and hatch...souls that, according to the Pok&#233;dex, used to belong to human beings. So somehow, you hatch Pok&#233;mon who have already existed for some time.

Sabonea_Masukippa
11th October 2010, 1:31 PM
Wow, that would be very nice. I look forward to reading it. (So according to the Pokédex, it turns out that they showed up 50 years ago, but people have seen it since?)

It's actually not that exciting, but it gives some nice insights into the way GF works behind the scenes :P

And here's Riguray's Dex:

50年前に 砂漠の 彼方から 突然 やってきた。その ときまで だれも 見たことが ない ポケモン。

Riguray suddenly came from the far side of the desert 50 years ago. It is a Pokemon that no one had seen until that time.

Royalty
11th October 2010, 4:14 PM
Another Pokédex entry that's inconsistent with the game are the Hitomoshi line: They say that their flames can suck up souls from still-living bodies through touch (particularly Chandela), but that obviously doesn't happen in battles.

Desumasu is also said to be the soul of a human being, though in spite of this, you can still breed them and hatch...souls that, according to the Pokédex, used to belong to human beings. So somehow, you hatch Pokémon who have already existed for some time.

Even though it's sort of makes a mess out of your mind just trying to figure it out, the descriptions sound kinda cool because they are just so dark and creepy for it primarily being a kid's game.

Wordy
11th October 2010, 6:05 PM
Let's not get onto Cubone and Marowak (but that was because Pok&#233;mon couldn't be bred back then).

Ah well. It's a shame that they recycled old Dex entries for this game, but we can let it slide mostly because I presume they would have hardly been wasting time writing up 493 little paragraphs etc. when most manpower would have been devoted to getting said 493Pok&#233;mon animated adequately. I must admit that the new Pok&#233;mon's animations are far more "interesting" than the oldies, although there is some laziness on both sides, and this is once again because the Gen V Pok&#233;mon are the only definites that will be seen throughout the game by the player. The starters in particular have been paid close attention to, because they will be the new player's first experience of both the Pok&#233;mon and the animation. It adds character, even Futachimaru's removal of one of its shells for use as a little sword for a few moments.

Has anybody found that they like every single Gen V Pok&#233;mon? I wish I could say that was the case, but Aianto is kind of holding me back in that respect. Every other Pok&#233;mon is either complex or has hidden complexities, or have incredibly appealing designs. My problem with Aianto is that it looks pretty much like they coloured a colouring book ant in grey and then moved on. This repeats all the problems I have with Gen I, where the designs were so similar to the source animals that they felt dull.

Once again, considering it was a new franchise I can see where they were coming from, adding a touch of familiarity in order to speed things along (Hey! This one looks like a dinosaur! And, ooh a turtle? And a strange plantfrog thing! A bird! A rat! A monkey! etc. etc.) but even so. Yay a turtle with cannons! And trust me, Squirtle was my first ever Pok&#233;mon, so this isn't any sort of "bashing". (Skull Bashing, you say?)

Aside from the whole Aianto thing I am pleasantly surprised. Just like how when I got Platinum and a DSi I was able to trade over my main Pearl Pok&#233;s into my new "main game" I began replaying through Sinnoh with several new teams, one after the other, until eventually I had used at some stage every starter and my favourite Sinnoh Pok&#233;mon. I feel I'll be redoing Isshu lots more when the inevitable Chrome (or even MR/AS) comes out.

I even like Miruhoggu, which is a big thing considering how normally the designated "weak Normal only useful as a slave" is either too dull for me or the design does not interest me. But by Level 30 a good Miruhoggu (by level up alone!) can know Hypnosis, Super Fang, Crunch and Detect (possibly even Confuse Ray, depending on what you want it to do, or Cheer Up if it has evolved late, although most would just teach it the TM). Even though Miruhoggu is doomed to be overshadowed by Murando pretty much forever, by no means is it terrible. Shameful that the last move it learns is Slam, and most of the TMs it learns are Special-based. It gets Iron Tail, Screech, Pursuit, Revenge and Assurance as Egg Moves- not a bad selection by any means.

R_N
11th October 2010, 6:24 PM
Wow, that would be very nice. I look forward to reading it. (So according to the Pokédex, it turns out that they showed up 50 years ago, but people have seen it since?)

I have to wonder if Nintendo will make a way to display battles, since we've reached the point where the battles already look fairly impressive on the DS.

Another Pokédex entry that's inconsistent with the game are the Hitomoshi line: They say that their flames can suck up souls from still-living bodies through touch (particularly Chandela), but that obviously doesn't happen in battles.

Desumasu is also said to be the soul of a human being, though in spite of this, you can still breed them and hatch...souls that, according to the Pokédex, used to belong to human beings. So somehow, you hatch Pokémon who have already existed for some time.
Well, obviously there needs to be some gameplay-Pokedex segregation for game mechanics to flow smoothly...

Lorde
11th October 2010, 9:17 PM
http://floatzel.net/pokemon/black-white/sprites/images/592.png

I've been wondering for the longest time now; is Pururiru supposed to be a squid or just another jellyfish-based Pokemon? I noticed that it's two main tentacles look a lot like the ones squids have so I'm a bit confused. I checked their Bulbapedia page, but I don't really put much stock in that information since they've been wrong before. I would really like it if they were half squid, half jellyfish though; just because I'm always a fan of Pokemon that're based off of two different animals.

Dracoste
11th October 2010, 9:22 PM
http://floatzel.net/pokemon/black-white/sprites/images/592.png

I've been wondering for the longest time now; is Pururiru supposed to be a squid or just another jellyfish-based Pokemon? I noticed that it's two main tentacles look a lot like the ones squids have so I'm a bit confused. I checked their Bulbapedia page, but I don't really put much stock in that information since they've been wrong before. I would really like it if they were half squid, half jellyfish though; just because I'm always a fan of Pokemon that're based off of two different animals.

Let's look at their dex entrys:

W: Pururiru 592: It paralyzes its prey with poison, then drags it to its den in the ocean’s depths, 8000 meters below the surface.
This sounds like it could be a jellyfish because of the poison.

B: Pururiru 592: It sinks to the bottom of the sea with its enemies’ bodies still bound in its thin, veil-like arms.
But this sounds more like a squid because he hold it's prey in it's arms.

Then I think it is a mix of the two.

CyndaquilRules
11th October 2010, 9:32 PM
I did the translations and yeah, it's that Riguray first appeared 50 years ago, coming from the other side of the desert (reference to the Roswell Incident). I believe that the Pokebeach ones just have a typo, that's all.

Also, there was an interesting interview with the story writer for BW on the GF staff blog the other day. Once I get more time (probably from tomorrow) I'll go through and do a nice translation.

Ah, thankyou very much. I wish I could read japanese.

R_N
11th October 2010, 9:58 PM
psh story writers

Now an interview with the art director, or art staff
that would be great

Aether13
11th October 2010, 10:01 PM
psh story writers

that would be great

I agree IMO the storyline writers for pokemon don't have nearly as big of a job as the art director does.

Lorde
11th October 2010, 10:05 PM
I agree IMO the storyline writers for pokemon don't have nearly as big of a job as the art director does.

The art directors are pretty important I suppose. They're the ones who design the Pokemon that appear in the games, which in my book, is the most important aspect of the games. They've given us some nice Pokemon this Generation like Tsutarja, Mijumaru, Koromori, Zorua, and Meloetta (which are just some of my favorites). I do think that the storyline writers are important as well though. They've given us one of the best storylines in these games; I just can't overlook that completely.

R_N
11th October 2010, 10:07 PM
I.... really don't see what's so great about BW's storyline. Yeah it's slightly more involved then 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. But it's not ~amazing~ from what I've seen

edit: Like it seems about on par with DPt's, honestly.

Aether13
11th October 2010, 10:23 PM
The art directors are pretty important I suppose. They're the ones who design the Pokemon that appear in the games, which in my book, is the most important aspect of the games. They've given us some nice Pokemon this Generation like Tsutarja, Mijumaru, Koromori, Zorua, and Meloetta (which are just some of my favorites). I do think that the storyline writers are important as well though. They've given us one of the best storylines in these games; I just can't overlook that completely.

Right, i agree the storyline is alot better in this game then in past, but still I think you should give the art directors more credit seeing as they have made almost 650 pokemon.

Sabonea_Masukippa
11th October 2010, 11:18 PM
psh story writers

that would be great

well, the blog's doing a series of interviews with various behind the scenes staff so they might get to someone like that eventually. And you can bet I will be all over it.

Besides the story guy is the one who's been doing it since GS days and so he provides a little bit of background into how GF works behind the scenes etc which is always interesting.

I.... really don't see what's so great about BW's storyline. Yeah it's slightly more involved then 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. But it's not ~amazing~ from what I've seen

edit: Like it seems about on par with DPt's, honestly.

It's not amazing when compared to some games, but for a Pokemon game it's pretty good. It's definitely better than DP's. Like...I don't know, for me it's the way Cheren and Belle go through identity crisis's or the way Kamitsure comes in and rips Belle's father a new one, or even just the way Cheren taps his foot when waiting for Belle in the first 30 seconds of the game. The tiny moments like those make it seem like (at least by Pokemon standards) the story is talking place involving "real" people, or at least real characters. The whole thing just has a warm tomato soup and hot apple pie for desert feeling to it.

MetalFlygon08
11th October 2010, 11:53 PM
and there's a major plot twist at the end, explaining why you can't catch the opposite legndar pokemon.

Snegy
12th October 2010, 12:52 AM
I really agree about the story. It sure is the best of any pok&#233;mon game prior to this. Not only the rivals; it's amazing how Team Plasma is involved... Also, their music. All of the new music is actually the best EVER in a pok&#233;mon game. TP's reminds me of something really RPG-ish.

The gym leaders' appearences, Cynthia's return... So many nice touches and a really, really good plot, indeed. And so many things to do after the elite. They really outdid themselves this time!

But nothing's perfect, of course. Despite the fabulous happenings, region and Pok&#233;mon, I feel like that was too little of new things... As in, mechanics and stuff. It doesn't kill the experience at all, but it is a kinda of a let down for me. I feel like there should be more new moves, abilities, type combinations... And, of course, some changes. Breeding, types, experiences, weather, EVs, IVs, natures, etc., etc. No, I can't think of anything to improve them, but I hoped so much they would have done so. And, plus, added new details.

Yeah, yeah, gotta wait for the next one!

Still, I'm very satisfied and I hope playing the english versions be as much as fun. And, please, 'Grey' version, revolutionate!

On topic, I'm betting Kyuremu will have a different form. Something really different, that makes its stats equal to Reshiram's and Zekrom's and involving the moves obviously learnt by itself. Also, it looks awesome, but kinda incomplete. Can't wait for its official art so I can actually judge it!

stenli
12th October 2010, 1:18 AM
i think Kojondo is the best fighting pokemon ever :p it doesnt have those scary muscle nor masculine look.
Pick one with Regeneration, teach it U-Turn (GF even set it as levelup move :p), with 105 base speed it ll outspeed anything most of the time. set a wall behind and this weasel gonna heal itself :D

R_N
12th October 2010, 1:33 AM
well, the blog's doing a series of interviews with various behind the scenes staff so they might get to someone like that eventually. And you can bet I will be all over it.

Besides the story guy is the one who's been doing it since GS days and so he provides a little bit of background into how GF works behind the scenes etc which is always interesting.

OMG
this is the second best thing to a Pokemon Art Book.

It's not amazing when compared to some games, but for a Pokemon game it's pretty good. It's definitely better than DP's. Like...I don't know, for me it's the way Cheren and Belle go through identity crisis's or the way Kamitsure comes in and rips Belle's father a new one, or even just the way Cheren taps his foot when waiting for Belle in the first 30 seconds of the game. The tiny moments like those make it seem like (at least by Pokemon standards) the story is talking place involving "real" people, or at least real characters. The whole thing just has a warm tomato soup and hot apple pie for desert feeling to it.
Ohhhh
I thought it meant, specifically, the Plasma plot. It's the first thing I think of with "story".
But yes Cheren & Belle's character development is nice, isn't it? Nice to see they made up for the horrible that was Brenden/May & Wally.

Sabonea_Masukippa
12th October 2010, 2:42 AM
On topic, I'm betting Kyuremu will have a different form. Something really different, that makes its stats equal to Reshiram's and Zekrom's and involving the moves obviously learnt by itself. Also, it looks awesome, but kinda incomplete. Can't wait for its official art so I can actually judge it!

I think Kyurem may actually be in for two forms (if you look at the two unique attacks that it learns) in the third game, and judging from its dex entries which say that it's frozen itself, it might be the 'unfrozen' forme or something like that.

Cobalt_Latios
12th October 2010, 3:07 AM
Wow, now I'm real psyched to pick this up, come Spring '11. Also, little moments like what you've just mentioned, are also things that I tend to enjoy for no apparent reason. Humorous little things that occur for the sake of occurring, I like that.

C_L

Lorde
12th October 2010, 3:12 AM
I think Kyurem may actually be in for two forms (if you look at the two unique attacks that it learns) in the third game, and judging from its dex entries which say that it's frozen itself, it might be the 'unfrozen' forme or something like that.

If seen people speculating on it having another form. An unfrozen form seems interesting though, since you're probably the first to bring up it's Dex entry. I can see it having a form similar to that; a "defrosted" dragon form. I would think that it would look less beat-up in it's "true" form, so maybe it'll look more similar to Reshiram and Zekrom when all is said and done. In it's current form, it just looks messed up.

Sabonea_Masukippa
12th October 2010, 3:43 AM
Wow, now I'm real psyched to pick this up, come Spring '11. Also, little moments like what you've just mentioned, are also things that I tend to enjoy for no apparent reason. Humorous little things that occur for the sake of occurring, I like that.

C_L

Indeed. I don't want to spoil it but the first time you meet Adeku:

He makes you double battle two little children with Harderia's with Cheren because he wants you to understand, that while you and Cheren (especially Cheren) are just trying to get stronger, these to kids are just happy being with their Pokemon at the festival and they don't really mind loosing. And, I dunno, the way he said it was just really nice.

If seen people speculating on it having another form. An unfrozen form seems interesting though, since you're probably the first to bring up it's Dex entry. I can see it having a form similar to that; a "defrosted" dragon form. I would think that it would look less beat-up in it's "true" form, so maybe it'll look more similar to Reshiram and Zekrom when all is said and done. In it's current form, it just looks messed
up.

Yeah, there's something about it that makes me think there's something special about what it's role is going to be in the 3rd game. Certainly it's other forme will have to make it look more "complete" in a sense, I suppose.

R_N
12th October 2010, 4:00 AM
I still like the theory that Kyurem was the original Pokemon before Reshiram & Zekrom split off of it.

The frozen thing even reminded me: Electricity & Fire both produce heat. Before the split, he could have had some slight internal fire/electric "engines" that balanced out his icey temperature. When the split happens...well you can see where I'm going with this.

I've never been this interested in a legend's backstory before. So many possibilities!

KuroiMawile
12th October 2010, 4:06 AM
I fully support that theory.

And to change Gigigears

Why does it seem there are so few poison types? There are plenty of types yet tried:

/electric
/psychic
/steel
/fire
/ice
/dragon
(not counting normal)
/rock

not to mention there's a legendary for just about every type but poison.

Royalty
12th October 2010, 5:26 AM
I fully support that theory.

And to change Gigigears

Why does it seem there are so few poison types? There are plenty of types yet tried:

/electric
/psychic
/steel
/fire
/ice
/dragon
(not counting normal)
/rock

not to mention there's a legendary for just about every type but poison.

I think that a Poison/Dragon would be wicked cool!! <3 I'm also surprised that there's not a Poison/Psychic that has a "Poison your mind" themed dex entry.

Change of subject.

So...I've been trying to skim through the posts and mentally block out anything that gives away the storyline and the second I see "plot twist" I scroll down SO FAST!! But, what is the general consensus about the plot line for this game. (Preferably coming from the people that have played/are playing the games) Is it more in depth? Involved? Longer? The Best? Second Best? 3rd, 4th, or 5th? (PLEASE no reasons why that give away details)

Ophie
12th October 2010, 6:24 AM
I decided to look into Poison's type compatibility, and wow, it's the type with the 2nd least amount of combinations, to Normal (which combines with 6 out of 17 types). All other types combine with at least 11 types, including itself. (Dragon, Ice, and Electric each have exactly 11 type combinations; Fire and Fighting are the next ones up with 12 each.)

I initially was going to throw the Electric, Fire, and Dragon types as types with fewer combinations, but I was wrong. The 5th generation really gave all of these types a boost (Rotom was a huge contributor to the Electric-type's diversity). The Poison-type was stuck in the mud with only three fully-evolved Pokémon: Pendra, Dasutodas, and Morobareru.

It's actually not that exciting, but it gives some nice insights into the way GF works behind the scenes :P

And here's Riguray's Dex:

50年前に 砂漠の 彼方から 突然 やってきた。その ときまで だれも 見たことが ない ポケモン。

Riguray suddenly came from the far side of the desert 50 years ago. It is a Pokemon that no one had seen until that time.

Oh, I meant the interview with the story writer. I'm always interested in anything from the inside with this sort of thing.

But wow, all those little details, while not important to the plot itself, shows that Game Freak really put a lot of thought into every single part of this game. Particularly that part with Adeku--I can see it being implemented into a Pokémon game, but I never expected it.

Did this same guy also handle Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD? They felt like they had wildly different approaches.

Mario with Lasers
12th October 2010, 7:11 AM
I think that a Poison/Dragon would be wicked cool!! <3 I'm also surprised that there's not a Poison/Psychic that has a "Poison your mind" themed dex entry.

They're obviously holding it off for glorious Atnana, the seven-headed Arbok evo to debut in 6th Gen.

And Poison/Psychic for a Britney Spears legendary pok&#233;mon. THE HORROR