PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Black and White General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Orton155
7th May 2011, 11:26 PM
Which is why I think the most likely situation will be that in the main game, the only Pokemon that will be added are Pokemon that evolve into/from Pokemon who were in the original Hoenn Dex (like Budew and Roserade for example)

However, as I mentioned earlier in the johto pokedex this only applied to pokemon that evolved by learning a certain move like mamoswine. Is there any reason why they wouldn't do this in the R/S remakes? In your example, for budew to be obtained roselia or roserade must be bred while holding a rose incense and roserade needs a shiny stone. Just make these items unavailable and you don't need to worry about them until the national pokedex is obtained.

Silent Conversation
7th May 2011, 11:27 PM
Dragin990, this forum does kind of have rules, and the point of a "Black and White Discussion Thread" is to discuss Black and White, not randomly talk. If you want to do that, there's actually a General Chat thread in the Misc Polls section, where you can go crazy.

MetalFlygon08
8th May 2011, 12:29 AM
and you just triple posted...

RS remakes could be like FRLG, Oh for some reason your Pokemon just stopped evolving!

Silent Conversation
8th May 2011, 12:48 AM
God, that would be annoying. I find that was so stupid in FRLG, and they basically got rid of that in HGSS, which is good.

Personally, I think adding about 10 pre-evos and evolutions to the Hoenn Dex wouldn't be a big deal, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Death n0t3
8th May 2011, 6:24 AM
Has anyone else noticed legenderys are to easy to catch in black/white?

BCVM22
8th May 2011, 7:02 AM
Yes, they have. Hundreds of those times have been noted in this very thread, several of them within no more than three or four pages back of this very post. All of these occasions have included the answer that Zekrom and Reshiram are purposely much easier to catch and the rest, like so much else in these games, can be affected by certain factors of your doing but are still very much a matter of luck and thus will vary some from gamer to gamer.

Not to belittle you, but as a newcomer to a thread some 3,000 posts in length about games that were out in Japan last September and that released internationally two months ago already (thus indicating that there is very, very little if anything about these games that hasn't been noticed and discussed), might it behoove you to use the search function, or at the very least read back a few pages, to see if the topic you want to bring up has already been discussed to whatever reasonable extent it can be?

Death n0t3
8th May 2011, 7:53 AM
I don't see the point in reading 100 pages back.. I was just asking a simple question mate, no need to get hyped up..

PEACE XOXOXO!

Geekachu
8th May 2011, 9:58 AM
BCVM22, all you had to do was say yes and spare us of those two obnoxiously annoying paragraphs.

Anyway back on topic I hope they add Gen III evolutions because I love Roserade.

I really do.

poke-lord
8th May 2011, 11:35 AM
Which Battle Frontier do you think they'll use if they make R/S remakes? I think they'll make a new one, but I'd love to see the Emerald one. It was so damn awsome!

The Flash
8th May 2011, 11:53 AM
Likes: the graphics, the music, the spruces moving during battle, the cities so far(I'm at the 4th badge) the shaking grass with magical audinos, the dowsing machine(It's so much easier to use now), how much team plasma is in the story(pretty much every city features a plasma plot)

Dislikes: some pokemon lack creativity(cough cough trubbish cough), the first gym badge puzzle,

I feel like this game has gotten really easy. Like, it's not that challenging to me, compared to heart gold or fire red or any of the games. The bag is kinda confusing too.

Aurath8
8th May 2011, 1:53 PM
Dislikes: some pokemon lack creativity(cough cough trubbish cough), the first gym badge puzzle,

Im not sure how living garbage is all that uncreative.
And just be glad that this the first of the first gyms to have a puzzle in the first place.

I feel like this game has gotten really easy. Like, it's not that challenging to me, compared to heart gold or fire red or any of the games. The bag is kinda confusing too.

The game is only as hard as you make it, as you control the levels of your pokemon, which pokemon you use and which trainers you fight. For example, you can avoid all trainers in the Cold Storage except the Plasma ones to make the fifth gym harder. Leave that Fraxure unevolved for the Elite 4. Withhold learning that TM until later. Take the Nuzlocke or Scramble challenge. Its in your hands.

The Flash
8th May 2011, 2:21 PM
I know you can do that stuff. But what i mean is, in the other games it was challenging to do stuff. Where now, I just coast through. I'm not doing anything differently than before. It's just I feel like the game was almost over simplified.

DBK
8th May 2011, 2:47 PM
I know you can do that stuff. But what i mean is, in the other games it was challenging to do stuff. Where now, I just coast through. I'm not doing anything differently than before. It's just I feel like the game was almost over simplified.

That's because you have been playing for a while now, so the games feel easier. For those newcomers, this game is probably a pain to get through. I've been playing since R/B/Y and found B/W to be only slightly less challenging. It still took me a better part of a week to get through (granted I do a lot of grinding). Just because it is easier for you doesn't mean the game itself got easier.

Crossfit
8th May 2011, 2:56 PM
Magmar electabuzz jynx
Magby elekid smoochum
Magmortar electivire . . . Where's jynxs third evolution ????

Crossfit
8th May 2011, 2:56 PM
Magmar electabuzz jynx
Magby elekid smoochum

Valoo.
8th May 2011, 2:59 PM
Magmar electabuzz jynx
Magby elekid smoochum
Jynx's third evolution is currently pole-dancing on the moon.

DBK
8th May 2011, 3:02 PM
Jynx's third evolution is currently pole-dancing on the moon.

Lol While Farfetch'd's evolution and Delibird's evolution wave singles. :p

Dragin990
8th May 2011, 3:18 PM
speaking of 3rd and 4th gens.
why did they get rid of the gba migrate in blk and wht?

Grei
8th May 2011, 3:20 PM
BCVM22, all you had to do was say yes and spare us of those two obnoxiously annoying paragraphs.

Anyway back on topic I hope they add Gen III evolutions because I love Roserade.

I really do.

Well, it's easy to feel the need to elaborate on your point when you often have to explain things to such dense people around here. Most of the time, when I see BCVM22 responding to something, it's something that has been explained time and time again--which often cannot be adequately answered by "yes" or "no."

That's because you have been playing for a while now, so the games feel easier. For those newcomers, this game is probably a pain to get through. I've been playing since R/B/Y and found B/W to be only slightly less challenging. It still took me a better part of a week to get through (granted I do a lot of grinding). Just because it is easier for you doesn't mean the game itself got easier.

Also, they did make this game simpler by making the layout so linear. Masuda (I think it was him, at least) said in an interview that they did that on purpose because some of the younger players found less-linear regions difficult to navigate.

So while it is because you've been playing for a while and you know how the games work, they are at least a little simplified this time around.

Pyrax
8th May 2011, 3:21 PM

'Cos it would make better sense if gen V was directly compatible with gen IV and not gen III.
Plus, at this point, most of your GBA pokémon would probably be in gen IV.

DBK
8th May 2011, 3:28 PM
Also, they did make this game simpler by making the layout so linear. Masuda (I think it was him, at least) said in an interview that they did that on purpose because some of the younger players found less-linear regions difficult to navigate.

So while it is because you've been playing for a while and you know how the games work, they are at least a little simplified this time around.

Ok, I'll give you that. For some reason it felt more tedious to me, but that could be because of all the grinding. :p

Dragin990
8th May 2011, 3:33 PM
You thought a great ball was insane....

I caught kyurem in a pokeball!
With an awesome nature!

ZombieDeviant
8th May 2011, 3:40 PM
Kyurem was hard as hell to catch. And I got a crappy nature.

Dragin990
8th May 2011, 3:43 PM
try again. that's wat I did. I caught him in a pokeball and a great ball once before, but I didn't like either of the natures.

Poseidome
8th May 2011, 5:25 PM
you know, they really should have given us the option of returning Pokemon from Black and White back to Gen 4 and 3. There wouldn't be any trouble with the Hm-pokemon like Pikachu, and pokemon that got good natures and IVs thanks to the broken rng abuse in gen 4 oder 5 would be able to learn one of the move tutor moves from gen 3, without having to use that nearly impossible useable emerald rnging..

The Flash
8th May 2011, 7:19 PM

The gba is officially retired. There have been two new ds's released(3 if you count the big dsi) none of em havE a gba slot. They're moving away from gba.

poke-lord
8th May 2011, 7:31 PM
Am I the only one dissapointed in the lack of dedent flyers? I had to go with an Altaria, which ruined my attempt at an entirely 5th gen team. I already used Wargle, so I need suggestions.

bippacooleth
8th May 2011, 7:35 PM
Am I the only one dissapointed in the lack of dedent flyers? I had to go with an Altaria, which ruined my attempt at an entirely 5th gen team. I already used Wargle, so I need suggestions.

Golurk seems to be popular, but I personally don't like it that much.
I just went without a Flyer on my E4 run-through - you don't really need one, unlike Sinnoh and Hoenn with their mountains, snow routes and oceans. Stock up on repels or have a temporary flier and you'll be fine. Then get a better flier post-E4 like I did with Dragonite.

poke-lord
8th May 2011, 7:39 PM
Golurk seems to be popular, but I personally don't like it that much.
I just went without a Flyer on my E4 run-through - you don't really need one, unlike Sinnoh and Hoenn with their mountains, snow routes and oceans. Stock up on repels or have a temporary flier and you'll be fine. Then get a better flier post-E4 like I did with Dragonite.

The only problem with Golurk is that I already have pokemon wit it's types. Altaria is Ok. Could be better.

bippacooleth
8th May 2011, 8:19 PM
The only problem with Golurk is that I already have pokemon wit it's types. Altaria is Ok. Could be better.

Urm... I kind of see your point now :P I'm thinking of potential flyers, there's only Mandibuzz (black exclusive), Unfezant (don't even) and Archeops off the top of my head. Archeops is good though, you could try him?

poke-lord
8th May 2011, 8:24 PM
Urm... I kind of see your point now :P I'm thinking of potential flyers, there's only Mandibuzz (black exclusive), Unfezant (don't even) and Archeops off the top of my head. Archeops is good though, you could try him?

Got White, tried Unfezant, and got the other fossil. I suppose I could try Hydreigon or Thundurus.

Venomfang
8th May 2011, 8:49 PM
I was dissapointed with the lack of fire and water types.

Silent Conversation
8th May 2011, 8:55 PM
I wasn't disappointed by either of them. I was actually happy about the amount of fire types, because it was a major improvement from 4th gen. As for water types, we didn't get as many as usual, but a lot of them are really good (Samurott, Seismitoad, Carracosta and Jellicent mainly)

Ultimate Glalie
8th May 2011, 8:59 PM
I was dissapointed with the lack of fire and water types.I wouldn't say there's a lack of Fire-types.

Gen I - 12 Fire-types
Gen II - 10 Fire-types
Gen III - 6 Fire-types
Gen IV - 7 Fire-types (counting Heat Rotom and Fire Arceus)
Gen V - 15 Fire-types

Gen V has had the most Fire-types of any Gen so far.

azurimon
8th May 2011, 9:24 PM
Less water types in this generation is okay, considering there were plenty in the previous games. I don't like any of them in particular though. Well Samurott is great, but I wasn't too fond of Seismitoad or Jellicent.

Silent Conversation
8th May 2011, 9:37 PM
Now that I think about it, we didn't have all that few water types either:

Gen I - 32 water types
Gen II - 18 water types
Gen III - 28 water types
Gen IV - 15 water types (16 including Water Arceus)
Gen V - 17 water types

So, we actually had an improvement from Gen IV, and were basically tied with Gen II. It's only Gens I and III that dominated with water types.

rykerr1
8th May 2011, 10:41 PM
I liked most of the water types this gen, and there were some good fire ones too.

I was mostly struck by the number of good bug types; I'm not sure if there were more bugs than usual this gen, but there were certainly more worthwhile ones.

Also, OMG at 28! water types in Gen III.

Silent Conversation
8th May 2011, 10:58 PM
There were definitely more bug types this gen:

Gen I - 12 bug types
Gen II - 10 bug types
Gen III - 14 bug types
Gen IV - 9 bug types (10 including Bug Arceus)
Gen V - 18 bug types

So, not only did Gen V win, but they won by quite a lot (8 more than Gen I and double Gen IV)

KickAsh
8th May 2011, 11:44 PM
We also got a lot more Fighting types.
Kanto--8
Johto--3
Hoenn--7
Sinnoh--7
Unova--15 (16 counting Pirouette Forme Meloetta)

shotdown911
9th May 2011, 1:12 AM
There were definitely more bug types this gen:

Gen I - 12 bug types
Gen II - 10 bug types
Gen III - 14 bug types
Gen IV - 9 bug types (10 including Bug Arceus)
Gen V - 18 bug types

So, not only did Gen V win, but they won by quite a lot (8 more than Gen I and double Gen IV)

In response to all of these comparisons, Unova also introduced more pokes than any other generation, so it makes sense there would be more than other gens in most respects. People's complaints I think are directed towards the ratio.

Silent Conversation
9th May 2011, 1:50 AM
In response to all of these comparisons, Unova also introduced more pokes than any other generation, so it makes sense there would be more than other gens in most respects. People's complaints I think are directed towards the ratio.

Well, Gen V has only 5 more Pokemon than Generation I did, so comparing those two generations would be fairly accurate. But I understand what you mean with the other three gens.

Dragin990
9th May 2011, 2:05 AM
Originally Posted by shotdown911

Of course they did. Do u think many people would've kept playin the series' if they used the same older gen pokes all the time.

Grei
9th May 2011, 2:29 AM
I dunno, I think the amount of Fire- and Water-types is just fine. We have plenty to choose from for both. If you don't pick the starters, you have Darmanitan who is absolutely beastly, Volcarona which is also beastly, Simisear which is passable, Heatmor which is not super-special but not terrible, or Chandelure, which has an incredible Special Attack stat. You're pretty set for Fire-types.

Water-types... well, Swanna sucks, as does Basculin. But Seismitoad is very good, as is Samurott with the right nature. Jellicent is decent and Carracosta is a great physical Water-type. Once again, Water-types are set.

I'm not sure how anyone can complain about a lack of good types. If any type needs love after the 5th Gen, it's the Poison-type. Garbador is pathetic and Scolipede isn't fantastic, either. I also wish there were more Dragon-types this Gen, but the ones introduced (minus maybe Druddigon) are very good.

Silent Conversation
9th May 2011, 2:31 AM
I don't care whether there are enough poison types or not, because poison is such a bad type to begin with (in my opinion) that I wouldn't use one even if there were 20 to choose from.

Paradoxe
9th May 2011, 3:21 AM
There should have bern more Ghost-types. There was only four (well, un-evolved ones anyway) in the whole game. And I don't think Confagrigus counts. It sucks.

BCVM22
9th May 2011, 3:23 AM
And I don't think Confagrigus counts. It sucks.

If Cofagrigius is of the Ghost-type, and indeed it is, do tell, in what way does it "not count"?

R_N
9th May 2011, 3:45 AM

If Cofagrigius is of the Ghost-type, and indeed it is, do tell, in what way does it "not count"?

Because it sucks, duh.

And you're supposed to be the smart one!

DBK
9th May 2011, 3:51 AM
Because it sucks, duh.

And you're supposed to be the smart one@!

Oh yeah, you really showed him..... -__-

R_N
9th May 2011, 3:58 AM
Oh yeah, you really showed him..... -__-

It's a difficult job, but someone has to keep the super computers in line.

Paradoxe
9th May 2011, 4:37 AM
I started a mini-flame war!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qSqWOh02bAw/TQVRMhcSlQI/AAAAAAAAADI/n9bHvsEa5XY/s1600/HappyForeverAloneGuy.jpg

BCVM22
9th May 2011, 4:55 AM
I started a mini-flame war!

You sure did. Them's fightin' words.

ArchedThunder
9th May 2011, 10:43 AM
There should have bern more Ghost-types. There was only four (well, un-evolved ones anyway) in the whole game. And I don't think Confagrigus counts. It sucks.

Look up some of his tactics, he is way better than you think.

Exodd
9th May 2011, 4:52 PM
Funny that the chairman of the Battle Company is a janitor.

misterdarvus
9th May 2011, 5:02 PM
^
yeah, when I first battle him, I wonder what trainer rank it is? Boss? Or anything?

It's Janitor

LOL

EeveeTamer
9th May 2011, 5:05 PM
I like the fact that there were more bug types this generation. Beside the Eevee line, bug types are my favorite. I like how this generation had better bug combo types besides bug/flying, but we still need a decent bug/water type that does not lose that typing when it evolves like surskit does. ;127;;214;;348;;412-i;:545:

Geekachu
9th May 2011, 5:47 PM
I like the fact that there were more bug types this generation. Beside the Eevee line, bug types are my favorite. I like how this generation had better bug combo types besides bug/flying, but we still need a decent bug/water type that does not lose that typing when it evolves like surskit does. ;127;;214;;348;;412-i;:545:

AAH! BUG TYPES! I'm in love with Galvantula atm, I'm using it on my new E4 team and Galvantula + Compoundeyes + Thunder = Amazing-electric-spider :D:D

Valoo.
9th May 2011, 7:24 PM
Yeah, Bugs got some much needed love this Gen. Galvantula, Escavalier, Accelgor and VOlcarona to name a few.

MetalFlygon08
9th May 2011, 10:04 PM
iirc Accelgor is the fastest spikes user, and he has pretty rad SpAtk

Mine runs
Spikes
Giga Drain
Bug Buzz
U-turn (It's my signature move, any pokemon in my party that can learn it, learn it, it does good keeping the opponent guessing what's about to show up).

Modest Natured, and holding Big Root/Focus Sash.

Geekachu
9th May 2011, 10:11 PM
We also got a lot more Fighting types.
Kanto--8
Johto--3
Hoenn--7
Sinnoh--7
Unova--15 (16 counting Pirouette Forme Meloetta)

But that's considering that 6 of those fighting types come from starters and legendaries, so to me that's 10 fighting Pokemon that were main choices if someone wants a fighting type Pokemon on their team (I discount Emboar since starters are uncatchable and I don't think many rely on legendaries in their team). So when you compare 10 Unova to 8 Kanto (they both introduced around 150 pokes) there's not that much of a difference.

Silent Conversation
9th May 2011, 10:17 PM
But that's considering that 6 of those fighting types come from starters and legendaries, so to me that's 10 fighting Pokemon that were main choices if someone wants a fighting type Pokemon on their team (I discount Emboar since starters are uncatchable and I don't think many rely on legendaries in their team). So when you compare 10 Unova to 8 Kanto (they both introduced around 150 pokes) there's not that much of a difference.

Yes, but either way Unova would still have more fighting types than Kanto, and that's when you add a bunch of restrictions.

The Eleventh
9th May 2011, 10:34 PM
Most types were lucky this generation. It's not like the Fire-type crisis of DP. There are some wonderful Water-types, too. And, as someone said, Bugs. It's a pretty well-rounded gen.

SasakiThePikachu
10th May 2011, 12:34 PM
Most types were lucky this generation. It's not like the Fire-type crisis of DP. There are some wonderful Water-types, too. And, as someone said, Bugs. It's a pretty well-rounded gen.

The bugs. Oh man, the bugs.

Looking at Durant, we sure have come a long way from Caterpies and Weedles, haven't we.

I did however find the water types of B/W a little limited...not so much later in the game, but early on. Especially if you happened to pick Tepig and you don't like the Tympole line - you're practically screwed for water types 'til Driftveil.

Exodd
10th May 2011, 4:15 PM
There does seem to be a shortage of water type Pokemon for this gen, but maybe that's just because there are so many already from previous games. There doesn't seem to be many fire type opponents to worry about anyway, though, and there are plenty of grass types to use against rock and ground Pokemon.

Vulpix Master
10th May 2011, 4:36 PM
The may be a stupid/obvious question but are 'Critical Captures' more likely to happen if the Pokémon has full HP? I'm on Route 1 catching a butt-load of Lillipup's and Patrat's for a big trade between my Black and White games and I'm getting Critical Catch after Critical Catch! Just seems a little odd.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 4:39 PM
I like all the new types in BW and all but there aren't that many flying types.

DBK
10th May 2011, 4:47 PM
The may be a stupid/obvious question but are 'Critical Captures' more likely to happen if the Pokémon has full HP? I'm on Route 1 catching a butt-load of Lillipup's and Patrat's for a big trade between my Black and White games and I'm getting Critical Catch after Critical Catch! Just seems a little odd.

Did you steal Fry's lucky clover?

I like all the new types in BW and all but there aren't that many flying types.

The Rami trio, Braviary, Mandibuzz, Unfezant, Swoobat, Sigilyph, Archeops, Swanna, and Emolga.......you sure you're playing the same game we are? :o

edit: That's 18 fliers (counting pre-evos) by the way.

edit 2: Tied for second (flier wise) with Gen 1, one less than Gen 2 (currently has the most).

Valoo.
10th May 2011, 4:49 PM
The Rami trio, Braviary, Mandibuzz, Unfezant, Swoobat, Sigilyph, Archeops, Swanna, and Emolga.......you sure you're playing the same game we are? :o
He probably meant god Flying types. And Kami's don't really count, as not many use Legends and you can only get one anyway without trading. And Emolga is bad, and Swoobat and Swanna aren't great. That leaves Sigilyph, Archeops and Braviary/Mandibuzz.

DBK
10th May 2011, 4:54 PM
He probably meant god Flying types. And Kami's don't really count, as not many use Legends and you can only get one anyway without trading. And Emolga is bad, and Swoobat and Swanna aren't great. That leaves Sigilyph, Archeops and Braviary/Mandibuzz.

I answered it the way I read it. Emolga is not that bad, and you forgot Unfezant. :)

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 5:27 PM
But the thing is is that you can only get Mandibuzz/Braviary really late in the game. And I don't like using legends on my team. So that only leaves Unfezant, Archeops Swanna, Swoobat, Emolga and Sigilyph. Emolga can't learn fly, and Sigilyph and Swoobat are special attackers so Fly will be useless

DBK
10th May 2011, 5:41 PM
But the thing is is that you can only get Mandibuzz/Braviary really late in the game. And I don't like using legends on my team. So that only leaves Unfezant, Archeops Swanna, Swoobat, Emolga and Sigilyph. Emolga can't learn fly, and Sigilyph and Swoobat are special attackers so Fly will be useless

I see what you mean. Swanna is not that bad, and neither is Unphezant. Archeops is awesome. My Sigilyph uses Fly pretty well, so I disagree there. In game the selection is pretty good. For the metagame, though, the selection is kinda sub-par, at best.

And Kami's don't really count, as not many use Legends and you can only get one anyway without trading.

Good point.

Aurath8
10th May 2011, 5:46 PM

Looking at Durant, we sure have come a long way from Caterpies and Weedles, haven't we.

I did however find the water types of B/W a little limited...not so much later in the game, but early on. Especially if you happened to pick Tepig and you don't like the Tympole line - you're practically screwed for water types 'til Driftveil.

You forgot about a certain fossil pokemon hiding in Relic Castle in the hands of a backpacker. Tirtouga has huge defence, Solid Rock, Crunch/Aqua Jet and Rock Tomb as soon as you get it.

Swanna is not that bad, and neither is Unphezant.

Swanna is only outclassed by Sigilyph and Braviary of the Unova flying types but Unfezant, definitely not. It learns two physical moves through levelup meaning any attacks it has are going to come if its 65 spatk stat. The rest of its movepool is filled with support moves it cant use because of its sub-par defences.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 5:54 PM
I see what you mean. Swanna is not that bad, and neither is Unphezant. Archeops is awesome. My Sigilyph uses Fly pretty well, so I disagree there. In game the selection is pretty good. For the metagame, though, the selection is kinda sub-par, at best.

Yeah Swanna is okay. I used Unfezant in a playthrough though and it was terrible. And Archeops seems good but the thing is I find a lot of people used it so I don't want to as well. And I used a Sigilyph but I didn't teach it Fly because I thought it would be better off with Air Slash

Aurath8
10th May 2011, 6:03 PM
Just teach Fly to Golurk, then all your problems will be solved.
You barely ever need to Fly in Unova, except for the Light/Dark Stone hunt that happens after N awakens R@m, until post-elite four anyway.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 6:07 PM
I like backtracking a lot. Especially when I run out of Energy Herbs and need to go back to Driftveil. And you also get Golurk pretty late in the game.

DBK
10th May 2011, 6:11 PM
I like backtracking a lot. Especially when I run out of Energy Herbs and need to go back to Driftveil. And you also get Golurk pretty late in the game.

Just teach Fly to Golurk, then all your problems will be solved.
You barely ever need to Fly in Unova, except for the Light/Dark Stone hunt that happens after N awakens R@m, until post-elite four anyway.

Wait......Golurk can learn Fly? Wut? :o

I like to backtrack, too, for training purposes. Fly is important to have if you are going to train and if you are going to go back to complete some areas.

Aurath8
10th May 2011, 6:15 PM
i had the same problem with Moomoo milk, but it taking an HM slave out of the PC wasn't as tedious as I thought. A pokemon can now be switched into your party with 3 button presses(not including switching it on) and 5 touches on the touchscreen.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 6:15 PM
Wait......Golurk can learn Fly? Wut? :o

I like to backtrack, too, for training purposes. Fly is important to have if you are going to train and if you are going to go back to complete some areas.

Yes Golurk can learn fly. And yeah, backtracking to me is essential

R_N
10th May 2011, 6:45 PM
YOu generally don't need all of your moveslots, just use one of them for Fly.
I taught my Swoobat Fly and brought it out every time I wanted to go somewhere in a hurry

Things Lost: Nothing

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 6:50 PM
For my Sigilyph all of its moveslots were essential. It knew Air Slash (STAB), Psychic (STAB), and Reflect and Light Screen which both were extremely helpful

DBK
10th May 2011, 7:06 PM
For my Sigilyph all of its moveslots were essential. It knew Air Slash (STAB), Psychic (STAB), and Reflect and Light Screen which both were extremely helpful

You really had to use screens in game? I normally only need stab moves and I'm good.

Missingno. Master
10th May 2011, 7:13 PM

I personally didn't find it a problem. I was dead set on Basculin from the start, so I knew it would be a bit of a wait in any case.

They really should've included the Old and Good rods in this game, or at least the Old Rod. I really wanted to be able to fish up a Basculin early on.

R_N
10th May 2011, 7:15 PM
You really had to use screens in game? I normally only need stab moves and I'm good.

Yeah, one generally doesn't need screens in-game. The time spent setting up could be used for something more directly useful

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 7:18 PM

It was EXTREMELY helpful. It lead to me sweeping Marshal because I managed to avoid his Stone Edge OHKOing me by using Reflect

DBK
10th May 2011, 7:29 PM
lol Didn't grind much, did you?

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 7:31 PM
Not really. Just when I was about to go into Victory Road I noticed all of my Pokemon were only it their 40s so I got them up to 45 via Audino grinding

DBK
10th May 2011, 7:34 PM
Not really. Just when I was about to go into Victory Road I noticed all of my Pokemon were only it their 40s so I got them up to 45 via Audino grinding

I abused those Audinos big time. Never really thought one needed to use anything but type advantage and STABs for in-game. Guess i stand corrected. :)

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 7:35 PM
I abused those Audinos big time. Never really thought one needed to use anything but type advantage and STABs for in-game. Guess i stand corrected. :)
Yeah, screens came in handy for me

Valoo.
10th May 2011, 7:40 PM
Audino grinding......that cry will forever be in my mind, like Zubats and Tentecruels

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 7:41 PM
Audino's cry is cute though. It sounds like it is saying "peep peep". Zubat and Tentacruel's cry is annoying as hell though

DBK
10th May 2011, 7:41 PM
Audino grinding......that cry will forever be in my mind, like Zubats and Tentecruels

lol I hear ya. I will never be able to unhear it. :p

R_N
10th May 2011, 8:03 PM
Am I the only one that never grinded(beyond, like, 2 levels for everyone)?
And had no problems?

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 8:05 PM
And had no problems?

Probably if I didn't grind I wouldn't have any problems either. I just did so because I remembered from my previous playthrough that Ghetis was hard

RedMage23
10th May 2011, 8:06 PM
I Audino-grinded very early in the game, but then I gave up on it because it still took too long. I grind moderately but it's less necessary in Black and White with proper team management.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 8:07 PM
I didn't Audino grind at all until I was about to enter the Elite 4

DBK
10th May 2011, 8:08 PM
And had no problems?

I only grinded to keep my team a few levels higher then everyone. But I didn't start grinding until after the 3rd gym (route 4 and the resort were giving me problems). I probably didn't have to, but I kinda like grinding (yeah I'm weird).

R_N
10th May 2011, 8:08 PM
You know, I barely even saw any shaking spots while playing. Maybe 2 Audinos and an Unfezant

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 8:10 PM
I caught a lot of them via the sound. A lot of the times a grass patch would be shaking but it would not be in my screen. So I would look for the spot and battle the Audino

The Flash
10th May 2011, 8:32 PM
Speaking of the shaking grass... What is your guys opinion on the ease of capturing fully evolved pokemon? It kinda cheapens the point of evolving I think. But ra alright since it's easier to complete the dex. I just wish they happened more often.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 8:39 PM
I don't really care because I don't like capturing fully evolved Pokemon anyway. I believe in training from the base form

magentaman
10th May 2011, 8:40 PM
Speaking of the shaking grass... What is your guys opinion on the ease of capturing fully evolved pokemon? It kinda cheapens the point of evolving I think. But ra alright since it's easier to complete the dex. I just wish they happened more often.

i think it balances out when there's only a 5% chance of meeting them in the grass that doesn't happen that often anyway. it's either a good bit of luck or a fair effort to find all the evolved ones that way.

SasakiThePikachu
10th May 2011, 8:40 PM
My Swanna was great with Fly, but then, she does have an atk boosting nature...

I didn't forget about Tirtouga - again if you happen to not like it/pick Archen, you're screwed for water types for quite a while. I missed the whole old rod/good rod/super rod thing; I was really hoping that this gen you'd be able to catch Basculin with old rod, Frillish with Good Rod, Alomomola with Super Rod, or something to that effect. It would give us better choice earlier in game. But alas, twas not to be.

Like someone else said, though, they're probably just making up for flooding us (ha) with water types in practically every other gen.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 8:42 PM
Like someone else said, though, they're probably just making up for flooding us (ha) with water types in practically every other gen.
Nice pun :D

Knightmare
10th May 2011, 9:05 PM

I personally enjoy hunting for the rare ones. My plan is to catch as many evolutions as I can, and not evolve things if I don't have to. This has some benefits I guess. For one, all the extra random encounters leaves hope for things like shinies and PkRs. Another thing is that having more individual pokemon captured increases the chance of getting lucky and finding that odd pokemon with awesome nature/IVs for competitive battling. In that way it can be fun because you can find yourself using a pokemon that you wouldn't have normally planned on using and enjoying it.

snivy101
10th May 2011, 9:27 PM
I personally enjoy hunting for the rare ones. My plan is to catch as many evolutions as I can, and not evolve things if I don't have to. This has some benefits I guess. For one, all the extra random encounters leaves hope for things like shinies and PkRs. Another thing is that having more individual pokemon captured increases the chance of getting lucky and finding that odd pokemon with awesome nature/IVs for competitive battling. In that way it can be fun because you can find yourself using a pokemon that you wouldn't have normally planned on using and enjoying it.

I found a random litwick that was timid nature with 31 SpA and speed ivs. It was the first litwick I caught too.

Storm07
10th May 2011, 9:56 PM

I like the idea, I enjoy looking for the rarest ones.

Knightmare
10th May 2011, 10:05 PM
I found a random litwick that was timid nature with 31 SpA and speed ivs. It was the first litwick I caught too.

That's an awesome find. You see I never planned on using a Chandelure on my team, but if I randomly came across that during play, it would totally be in.

edit: Cool 550th post :D

Silent Conversation
10th May 2011, 10:10 PM
31 Special Attack IV on a CHANDELURE!? If you max its EVs on Special Attack, then it can have a 427 special attack stat by the time it gets to level 100! That's crazy!

The Eleventh
10th May 2011, 10:17 PM
That's what I usually do, too. I only evolve non-team Pokémon if I have to, as I feel it's a waste to do so. Experience is valuable! Those shaking spots are very useful; I never thought I'd see a Tyranitar in the wild in a Pokémon game!

EDIT: Rank-up! I love this rank. I'm going to hate getting these next fifty posts. ):

Mister_SGG
10th May 2011, 10:24 PM
Speaking of the shaking grass... What is your guys opinion on the ease of capturing fully evolved pokemon? It kinda cheapens the point of evolving I think.

Same.

10charlimit

EDIT: 565 post!

Silent Conversation
10th May 2011, 10:26 PM
Personally, I find the best part of evolution isn't how much stronger a fully evolved Pokemon is, but training a weak Pokemon to a certain level where it finally evolves, and you realize all that training has paid off. So giving out fully evolved Pokemon in the wild is fine for people who just want the Pokemon for their strength, but for the people who enjoy the training like myself, I don't find it that fun because it ruins the excitement of seeing one of your Pokemon finally evolve.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 10:29 PM
But like if you catch it fully evolved it doesn't have as good stats as training them

Silent Conversation
10th May 2011, 10:31 PM
But like if you catch it fully evolved it doesn't have as good stats as training them

Not necessarily. The only reason a trained Pokemon would have better stats than a fully evolved caught one would be because of EVs. The trained Pokemon will have already had EVs, so it will have better stats than the caught Pokemon, who doesn't have any EVs. But if you give both Pokemon the same amount of EVs by the time they get to Level 100, then (forgetting about IVs for a second) they will be the same strength.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 10:34 PM
Not necessarily. The only reason a trained Pokemon would have better stats than a fully evolved caught one would be because of EVs. The trained Pokemon will have already had EVs, so it will have better stats than the caught Pokemon, who doesn't have any EVs. But if you give both Pokemon the same amount of EVs by the time they get to Level 100, then (forgetting about IVs for a second) they will be the same strength.
Yeah I know, the EVs thing was my point

Silent Conversation
10th May 2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah I know, the EVs thing was my point

Oh, I see what you mean. I originally thought that you for some reason had the idea that a fully evolved caught Pokemon with the same EVs, IVs and nature as a fully evolved trained Pokemon would somehow be weaker because there's some sort of penalty for catching a Pokemon fully evolved. So glad we're on the same page.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 10:37 PM
Oh, I see what you mean. I originally thought that you for some reason had the idea that a fully evolved caught Pokemon with the same EVs, IVs and nature as a fully evolved trained Pokemon would somehow be weaker because there's some sort of penalty for catching a Pokemon fully evolved. So glad we're on the same page.

Yeah, we are on the same page

Orton155
10th May 2011, 10:54 PM
You guys are talking in the training sense but you can also talk about it in the sense of the pokedex itself. Now you no longer need to explore certain evolution methods for example milotic. Before you had to work very hard to maximise your beauty, now you need to trade with a prism scale (or something like that) and because you can catch them in the wild there is no point in obtaining the prism scale. It completely changes the way a player would complete his pokedex.

Other examples include:

Huntail/Gorebyss - No need for deepseatooth or deepseascale
Leavanny - You don't need to bother with getting up happiness
Vespiquen - No need to hunt for the elusive female combee
Crobat, Gliscor, Wigglytuff, Kingdra.

It makes the pokedex easier.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 10:56 PM
Yes, but I do not care for that seeing as I do not aim to complete my Pokedex

Orton155
10th May 2011, 10:57 PM
Yes, but I do not care for that seeing as I do not aim to complete my Pokedex

You may not, but others do. We might as well discuss an issue fully if we are going to discuss it at all.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 11:01 PM
You may not, but others do. We might as well discuss an issue fully if we are going to discuss it at all.

Yeah I guess that's true. Personally, catching fully evolved Pokemon doesn't bother me...at all. So I'm all for it if it helps one complete the pokedex

Silent Conversation
10th May 2011, 11:10 PM
I don't understand why it would bother anybody. Seriously, if you think it's unfair to be able to get a fully evolved Pokemon in the wild, then just don't go catch one yourself.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 11:11 PM
I don't understand why it would bother anybody. Seriously, if you think it's unfair to be able to get a fully evolved Pokemon in the wild, then just don't go catch one yourself.

It bothers people who think it is unnatural or easy. Seriously, you can encounter a wild DRAGONITE

Silent Conversation
10th May 2011, 11:15 PM
It bothers people who think it is unnatural or easy. Seriously, you can encounter a wild DRAGONITE

So if they find it too easy, THEN THEY DON'T HAVE TO DO IT. Nobody is forcing them to go catch a wild Dragonite. But some people who want an easy game may want to do it, and why should they not include wild powerful Pokemon if some people want them and others aren't forced to?

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 11:16 PM
So if they find it too easy, THEN THEY DON'T HAVE TO DO IT. Nobody is forcing them to go catch a wild Dragonite. But some people who want an easy game may want to do it, and why should they not include wild powerful Pokemon if some people want them and others aren't forced to?

I'm not against it, I'm just pointing out the other side. But the availability to make it easier still makes it easier. But I think it's more so how unnatural it is

Silent Conversation
10th May 2011, 11:18 PM
But the availability to make it easier still makes it easier.

No it doesn't. If a game has three modes, "Easy", "Medium" and "Hard", and you choose the hard one, does that hard mode suddenly becoming easier just because you know there's an option to play Easy mode, even though you know you're not going to do it?

Orton155
10th May 2011, 11:23 PM
No it doesn't. If a game has three modes, "Easy", "Medium" and "Hard", and you choose the hard one, does that hard mode suddenly becoming easier just because you know there's an option to play Easy mode, even though you know you're not going to do it?

Let me come at this with a slightly different direction. Do you think it is a good thing for players to have the opportunity to completely avoid an evolution method which may cause them to be oblivious to said evolution method? For example, Gliscor and the razor fang.

Cobalt2
10th May 2011, 11:23 PM
I thought the pokemon were a little predictable as being amazing looking and seeming, but really weren't all you wanted...

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 11:26 PM

Yeah I guess, but the thing is the game doesn't have those three modes and people don't want to go through the trouble of creating their own challenges

Ememew
10th May 2011, 11:32 PM
Let me come at this with a slightly different direction. Do you think it is a good thing for players to have the opportunity to completely avoid an evolution method which may cause them to be oblivious to said evolution method? For example, Gliscor and the razor fang.

It's not like they're all that much easier to catch. You still (in the case of the earlier Dragonite example) have to contend with fully evolved base stats while you're whittling it down to catch. A wild Dragonite's base 134 attack isn't going to be easy to get if you have to keep up with the healing (plus, I think some can know Dragon Tail to end the battle at the levels they're caught at). A wild Metagross still has a catch rate of 3, so it's not "easier."

For evolution items, it gives people a chance to obtain another Gliscor if they've already used up their Razor Fang but want another Gliscor for some reason (while Razor Fang is, I think, re-obtainable, some other evolution items are not easily aquired if you've used your only one).

Finally, many of these aren't available until you've beaten the game, so it's mostly for Dex and post-game purposes. It's not like most people are going to use their "easy" Dragonite to fight N.

Larry
10th May 2011, 11:35 PM
I didn't know you could catch wild Tyranitar until now. I'm going to have to find one now.

Silent Conversation
10th May 2011, 11:44 PM
Ememew reminded me of another reason why there should be fully evolved Pokemon in the wild. With the exception of Audino, very few wild Pokemon give you a lot of EXP. If you find a really strong fully evolved Pokemon in the wild and beat it, it can probably give quite a bit of EXP. So, it lets people who want an easy game to get a good Pokemon fast, and it gives people who want to train some Pokemon other than Audino to battle against.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 11:48 PM
I don't think they give as much exp as Audino

Silent Conversation
10th May 2011, 11:51 PM

They don't, but they still give quite a lot, and battling them is more of a challenge than battling Audino, so it's a better test of the strength of your Pokemon.

Larry
10th May 2011, 11:52 PM

But it's variety.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
10th May 2011, 11:55 PM
They don't, but they still give quite a lot, and battling them is more of a challenge than battling Audino, so it's a better test of the strength of your Pokemon.

When I'm grinding, I want to do it as quick as possible

beegfeeshy
10th May 2011, 11:55 PM
i has all legands exept for landrus and tornadus

Blazios
10th May 2011, 11:59 PM
Of course, there's also the fact that all of those fully evolved Pokémon like Dragonite and Gliscor are incredibly rare in shaking spots.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 12:00 AM
i has all legands exept for landrus and tornadus

Lol, that's the legends I hate in Black and White

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 12:25 AM
When I'm grinding, I want to do it as quick as possible

But if you're about to face a trainer with a really tough Dragonite, it's more ideal to practice against Dragonites so you'll be training and building a strategy in the process.

R_N
11th May 2011, 12:33 AM

Yes it does because a number of the evolution methods are complete bull and I will never understand how they expect you to figure more than half of them out without the use of outside sources.
Take the Razor Fang, for example. It says

An item to be held by a Pokémon. It may make foes and allies flinch when the holder inflicts damage.
Giving no indication that it evolves anything, much less just Gligar, much less just Gligar at night. It relies on complete luck, maybe aided by possibly having seen a Gliscor at some other point.

Meanwhile, things like Metagross are a gigantic pain to raise. One could argue its taking the easy way out but consider:
-They still have painful catch rates (THREE. WHY WOULD YOU GIVE IT CATCH RATE 3)
-They themselves are still powerful enough to put up a fight
-They're rare (Metagross has, iirc, a 5% chance of showing up in Shaking grass)
-Typically out of the way. Dragonite in particular requires backtracking to a tower and fishing in a swimming spot for another 5% chance.
-They will be "weaker" than one you train up yourself, giving incentive if one chooses to breed and raise another from scratch.

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 12:56 AM
Meanwhile, things like Metagross are a gigantic pain to raise. One could argue its taking the easy way out but consider:
-They still have painful catch rates (THREE. WHY WOULD YOU GIVE IT CATCH RATE 3)
-They themselves are still powerful enough to put up a fight
-Typically out of the way. Dragonite in particular requires backtracking to a tower and fishing in a swimming spot for another 5% chance.
-They will be "weaker" than one you train up yourself, giving incentive if one chooses to breed and raise another from scratch.

Thank you. Maybe this will get people to finally shut up about finding these Pokemon as wild making the game "too easy".

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 12:59 AM
Thank you. Maybe this will get people to finally shut up about finding these Pokemon as wild making the game "too easy".

It's still easier than training them yourself if you ask me

Mister_SGG
11th May 2011, 1:03 AM

Seems more like 90% in my game. They're more common than Audino, dammit.

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:09 AM
Seems more like 90% in my game. They're more common than Audino, dammit.

Wow, then you must be really unlucky, because Snowyarticuno's right - in shaking grass (which is rare enough to begin with), Metagross only has a 5% chance of appearing.

Dragin990
11th May 2011, 2:15 AM
I've had better luck finding metang than metagross. Why won't it evolve!

I've caught 3 legendaries in pokeballs so far: Kyurem, Cobalon, and Virizion. It's becoming too easy... -_- ughh

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:17 AM
You could KYUREM in a POKE BALL!? Kudos to you, man! I was doing frickin' Dusk Balls on the thing, which work 3.5x better than Poke Balls, and it took me forever to catch it.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 2:22 AM
^3.5x better actually

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:24 AM
^3.5x better actually

I know, I said 3.5x :p

Dragin990
11th May 2011, 2:25 AM
Tonight I go for Terrakion! in a pokeball! ^^

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:26 AM
Tonight I go for Terrakion! in a pokeball! ^^

Don't worry, Terrakion is extremely easy to catch, it shouldn't take you very long.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 2:29 AM
I know, I said 3.5x :p
I c wut u did ther

Don't worry, Terrakion is extremely easy to catch, it shouldn't take you very long.
Terrakion has the same catch rate as Kyurem. Just because it was easy for you (and me), doesn't mean it will be easy for him. He can have the most unfortunate luck in the world

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:30 AM
But remember, Terrakion is a much lower level than Kyurem, so by definition it will be a bit easier.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 2:34 AM
But remember, Terrakion is a much lower level than Kyurem, so by definition it will be a bit easier.

Level doesn't affect how lucky it will be. It just affects how smooth your battle goes

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:37 AM
Level doesn't affect how lucky it will be. It just affects how smooth your battle goes

Which is why I didn't say he would be luckier, I just said the capture would be easier. Part of the capture is weakening the Pokemon.

Dragin990
11th May 2011, 2:38 AM
Well thnx for the support! lol.

I'kll have him tonight easy!
tty guys later!

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:39 AM
Good luck, Dragin!

XXD17
11th May 2011, 2:39 AM

being able to catch wild dragonite, kingdra, t-tars, and milotics are nice but if they aren't trained, they are pretty much worthless...it's better to train a pokemon from its base form than to catch it already evolved...that is if you have competitive battling in mind and want an easier time EV training...

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 2:41 AM
being able to catch wild dragonite, kingdra, t-tars, and milotics are nice but if they aren't trained, they are pretty much worthless...it's better to train a pokemon from its base form than to catch it already evolved...that is if you have competitive battling in mind and want an easier time EV training...

I know, but I was saying is how unrealistic it is to encounter these huge, beastly animals, just randomly chilling in a patch of grass

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:41 AM
I know, but I was saying is how unrealistic it is to encounter these huge, beastly animals, just randomly chilling in a patch of grass

It's also unrealistic how these huge beastly animals can even EXIST. So get over it.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 2:44 AM
It's also unrealistic how these huge beastly animals can even EXIST. So get over it.

Not really, because they're trained to be that way. Even Volcarona in the Relic Castle is kind of realistic. But if you encounter a HUGE DRAGON in a random cave that would be a bit weird...

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:45 AM
Wait a minute... so you're telling me that this (http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/569.shtml) can exist? And this (http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/606.shtml)?

You may need to get a bit of a reality check...

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 2:46 AM
Wait a minute... so you're telling me that this (http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/569.shtml) can exist? And this (http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/606.shtml)?

I'm not saying fully evolved Pokemon, I'm saying beastly Pokemon

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:48 AM
I'm not saying fully evolved Pokemon, I'm saying beastly Pokemon

Oh... so you're saying that this thing (http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/149.shtml) can exist. Now you make a whole lot of sense...

LOLWUT??

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 2:49 AM
Oh... so you're saying that this thing (http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/149.shtml) can exist. Now you make a whole lot of sense...

LOLWUT??

Yeah exactly, that's what I'm saying

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:52 AM
Yeah exactly, that's what I'm saying

Oh okay, so next time you see a giant orange dragon fly through the air, please tell me, I'll take a picture.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 2:54 AM
Oh okay, so next time you see a giant orange dragon fly through the air, please tell me, I'll take a picture.

Actually in Unova it's in a random pond by a tower shaped like a spiral

edit: Wait, are we on the same page? We're both saying that a random Dragonite in the wild is unrealistic, right?

Ememew
11th May 2011, 2:54 AM

Well, they are typically pretty rare (5% encounter rates for stuff like Metagross and Dragonite, I believe).

Anyway, I find it more realistic that you CAN find them. I mean, would it really make sense for a Metang or Dragonair to only ever be able to reach its final evolutionary state if it was trained? Especially since some Dex descriptions of fully evolved Pokemon reference their behavior in the wild?

To me it makes sense that stuff like Dragonite are capable of evolving in the wild. They're still significantly rare enough that it's realistic.

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 2:56 AM
Wait, are we on the same page? We're both saying that a random Dragonite in the wild is unrealistic, right?

No, I'm saying that a wild Dragonite ever being able to exist is unrealistic. I'm trying to prove that the Pokemon world is a world there things tend to be unrealistic.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 3:00 AM
No, I'm saying that a wild Dragonite ever being able to exist is unrealistic. I'm trying to prove that the Pokemon world is a world there things tend to be unrealistic.

But like owning it makes it seem more realistic because you trained it to be like that. Randomly floating around in a pond is kinda weird. I mean, even if you found it as an overworld sprite inside the Dragonspiral Tower it would be better

Ememew
11th May 2011, 3:08 AM
But like owning it makes it seem more realistic because you trained it to be like that. Randomly floating around in a pond is kinda weird. I mean, even if you found it as an overworld sprite inside the Dragonspiral Tower it would be better

So you're saying you think it would be unrealistic for any Dragonair to ever evolve in the wild?! I think the opposite, that it is entirely possible for a Dragonite to evolve from a Dragonair independent of a trainer's assistance. Since it takes so long to evolve, of course they're not going to be popping up like Patrat. Hence the 5% encounter rate (and even then only in rare special spots). Plus, the water around DragonSpiral Tower is more of a small lake than a pond when you consider the scale of "cities" in the Pokemon world.

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 3:09 AM
You fail to see my point. There's no point complaining about realism in a Pokemon game when it is a Pokemon game. There is no such thing as realism in these games, otherwise you would not be able to do anything that you do in the games.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 3:10 AM
But my realism can be extended into something that I cannot relate to. And Dragonite's in a pond frankly do not

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 3:12 AM
Okay, but Dragonites in general do. Sure.

R_N
11th May 2011, 3:12 AM
But if you encounter a HUGE DRAGON in a random cave that would be a bit weird...

Um
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d9/646.png
and to a lesser extent
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/51/148.png

and, shoot, you find this huge thing just in normal grass five feet from a town
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/42/621.png

Paradoxe
11th May 2011, 3:13 AM
Yes. Because finding a fully evolved Pokemon in the wild is WAAAAAAAY more unrealistic than chasing a dragon through a Distorted World. But, oh wait, that actually happened.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 3:14 AM
Yes it is because that place has a mythological feel. But randomly walking and suddenly you spot A GIANT ORANGE DRAGON makes it seem weird

R_N
11th May 2011, 3:16 AM
And the "pond" isn't even that small, and we're given no indication of how deep the thing is.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 3:18 AM
And the "pond" isn't even that small, and we're given no indication of how deep the thing is.

Well I guess it's true. But I still think it's kinda stupid and extends my suspension of disbelief

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 3:22 AM
Yet your suspension of disbelief is so extended that you accept everything else in the Pokemon games...

Paradoxe
11th May 2011, 3:25 AM
How does EA even manage to get dressed in the morning?

MetalFlygon08
11th May 2011, 3:26 AM
Speaking of the DragonSpiral pond, when does the water level raise enough I can surf/Fish in it?

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 3:26 AM
Yet your suspension of disbelief is so extended that you accept everything else in the Pokemon games...

Yeah, pretty much. But it comes to an extent

Bronzong#1
11th May 2011, 3:27 AM
never really unless you get your fishing rod and fish then the pokemon are in thier forties.

R_N
11th May 2011, 3:43 AM
Yeah, pretty much. But it comes to an extent

Other Things We Have Found in Ponds, Lakes and Beaches:
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/ca/130.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/42/320.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/4e/321.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/dd/319.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/ba/073.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/51/148.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b8/080.png

But the 7 foot tall ungodly rare (1% in a surfing spot in a probably very-deep lake known for dragons where its longer, lowered form kin roam) Dragonite is simply too much?

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 3:50 AM
Other Things We Have Found in Ponds, Lakes and Beaches:
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/ca/130.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/42/320.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/4e/321.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/dd/319.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/ba/073.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/51/148.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b8/080.png

But the 7 foot tall ungodly rare (1% in a surfing spot in a probably very-deep lake known for dragons where its longer, lowered form kin roam) Dragonite is simply too much?
Yes it is because it's ABOUT AS POWERFUL AS A LEGENDARY. Seriously, how stupid would it be if you're fishing and you come across a Lugia?

R_N
11th May 2011, 4:03 AM
Yes it is because it's ABOUT AS POWERFUL AS A LEGENDARY. Seriously, how stupid would it be if you're fishing and you come across a Lugia?

GYARADOS COME ON DOOOOWWWWN....
*do do dooo dododod doooo*
"Once Gyarados goes on a rampage, its ferociously violent blood doesn't calm until it has burned everything down. There are records of this Pokémon's rampages lasting a whole month. "
1 Gyarados created the entire Lake of Rage!
With an Attack stat of 125 and technically faster than a Dragonite it is no laughing matter

SHARPEDO IT'S ALL YOU
" Nicknamed "the bully of the sea," Sharpedo is widely feared. Its cruel fangs grow back immediately if they snap off. Just one of these Pokémon can thoroughly tear apart a supertanker. "
And they populate almost all water routes (oooo, aaaaa) and I believe travel in packs

TENTACRUEL
100 base speed with 120 base special defense & respectable everything else
" Tentacruel has large red orbs on its head. The orbs glow before lashing the vicinity with a harsh ultrasonic blast. This Pokémon's outburst causes rough waves around it. "
wonderful

Wailmer the big ball whale can be found off the coast of at least two probably more cities

Don't get me wrong, Dragonite is powerful, but it really means nothing in terms of where you find it.
Especially when you find it near an area with its lower stages, Druggion, and right by the tower holding Reshiram & Zekrom

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 4:30 AM
Sigh, I'm just going to stop bother to persuade you people about my opinion. I'm getting sick of it anyway

XXD17
11th May 2011, 5:30 AM

mutating garbage...no, unless it is actually a colony of microscopic symbiotic organisms working together, like a portuguese man-o-war, to exist only appearing as if it was garbage...as for aliens, I'm pretty sure there is other life out there in our universe it might not look like the stereotypical aliens but aliens (essentially a life form that is alien, or unknown, to humans) probably do exist, so yeah, aliens can exist...why not?

LOLWUT??

well dinosaurs have existed on this earth...sure they might not be orange flying reptiles but they were reptiles that exceeded even the size of dragonite so yeah, an orange dragon is feasible to exist if reptiles like tyrannosaurus and quetzalcoatlus existed...

DBK
11th May 2011, 6:40 AM
:o

Are you guys really having an argument about what is realistic or unrealistic in a POKEMON game? Seriously?

Smh......

*sip*

Btw, I am of the same mind as EA (sort of). Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Let's keep on topic, shall we?

Chairman
11th May 2011, 8:51 AM
I do think that there should be pseudo legendaries in the wild, 5% in shaking grass/dust/water is pretty rare. Like other people say there is no reason they can't be found in the wild and the pokedex says, they are seldom seen in the wild. So it's only logical that they include them, especially where their pre evos are, but just very rare, which the are! It's not even about realsim in a pokemon game, just logic.

The Flash
11th May 2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah, and think about it. If you were actually traveling it would be likely that there is a couPle pOkwmon that somehow avoided being captured. And they would evolve to their final forms. Not everyone would get this way, just the lucky few. Thus, the 5% chance of getting one.

Dragin990
11th May 2011, 12:15 PM
Hey everyone! I did it!!
I caught Terrakion in a POKEBALL this morning @ exactly 6:02.
*sigh* I strongly think the catch rate is declining instead of increasing with the new gens. I mean I remember when you had to sit for 1-2hrs tryin to catch mewtwo and rayquaza, etc. Lolz

Crazy!

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 3:14 PM
Dragin, it's been exactly the same. It's just a coincidence. That or you got a critical capture

Jokess
11th May 2011, 4:21 PM
Is there a lot to do after the Elite 4?

I'm currently looking the 3 packages for the wingull on a bridge?

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 4:49 PM
Is there a lot to do after the Elite 4?

I'm currently looking the 3 packages for the wingull on a bridge?
Yeah. A lot of people say there isn't a lot, but personally, my eastern tour of Unova took a week. In addition there is also catching all the legendaries, finding all the sages, and prepping for the elite 4 rematch

Xman96
11th May 2011, 5:46 PM
It took me forever to find the packages for the Wingull's Grams. I didn't know that you had to talk to the people.

Valoo.
11th May 2011, 6:16 PM
Hey everyone! I did it!!
I caught Terrakion in a POKEBALL this morning @ exactly 6:02.
*sigh* I strongly think the catch rate is declining instead of increasing with the new gens. I mean I remember when you had to sit for 1-2hrs tryin to catch mewtwo and rayquaza, etc. Lolz

Crazy!
The catch rate is the same. Why can't people get this?

Endoplasmic Reticulum
11th May 2011, 6:58 PM
It took me forever to find the packages for the Wingull's Grams. I didn't know that you had to talk to the people.

I also had a trouble with a couple of them, but I managed to find all of them in like 20 minutes or so (maybe less, I don't remember)

Dragin990
11th May 2011, 9:57 PM
It only took me about 25 min to find the people.

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 10:03 PM
The catch rate is the same. Why can't people get this?

Because Terrakion and Virizion are far easier to catch than Victini and Kyurem.

Dragin990
11th May 2011, 10:07 PM
Thank you Sinnoh.

A lvl 15 Victini is much more difficult to catch than them.
I also caught Victini in a pokeball. So there.

Weaver_8
11th May 2011, 10:07 PM
Dragin, it's been exactly the same. It's just a coincidence. That or you got a critical capture

Quite, it took me a short time to capture the three musketeers, but it took forever~ for me to capture kyurem. Stupid broken chicken.... But I love him anyway despite that :3

I've heard metagross can be found in the wild much to the suffering of less prepared trainers. Personally I have yet to run into any abnormal Pokemon in the wild. On an interesting note it seems the Pokemon not native to Unova are an invasive species which accidentally escaped during a transport to the miracle capture. At least that what a guy implied near that miracle capture thing, correct me if I am wrong please -_-;

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 10:08 PM
A Level 15 Victini took me about 25-30 Great Balls to catch, while a Level 42 Terrakion took me ONE Dusk Ball and a Level 42 Virizion took me THREE. I know that Dusk Balls work better than Great Balls when used correctly, but that's still crazy.

Ememew
11th May 2011, 10:12 PM
A Level 15 Victini took me about 25-30 Great Balls to catch, while a Level 42 Terrakion took me ONE Dusk Ball and a Level 42 Virizion took me THREE. I know that Dusk Balls work better than Great Balls when used correctly, but that's still crazy.

^ I caught Mewtwo in a single PokeBall back in FireRed (or was it LeafGreen, can't remember which). Anyway, my point is that the capture formula, critical capture aside, has not made it any easier in comparison to earlier generations. It's just luck that made fewer ball tosses/weaker balls succeed in some cases. It's not inherently easier.

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 10:14 PM
I know it's not statistically easier, I'm just saying that it seems a lot easier. It's just a coincidence, but an interesting one.

Jokess
11th May 2011, 10:56 PM
Yeah. A lot of people say there isn't a lot, but personally, my eastern tour of Unova took a week. In addition there is also catching all the legendaries, finding all the sages, and prepping for the elite 4 rematch

Sages.

Do they battle? :)

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 10:57 PM
You don't battle them, but they're hidden in Unova, so you have to find them all.

Jokess
11th May 2011, 10:59 PM
Awww :(

Do I stand to spoil anything by asking what happens when you find them?

Blazios
11th May 2011, 11:00 PM
Awww :(

Do I stand to spoil anything by asking what happens when you find them?

They give you stat boosting TMs and talk a little.

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 11:00 PM
No, the reward for finding them is pretty boring. Do you want me to tell you or would you rather just find out yourself when you find them?

EDIT: LOL, never mind, I was ninja'd by Blazios who told you :p

Jokess
11th May 2011, 11:01 PM
Ah cool. I'll get on it. Thanks :)

Venomfang
11th May 2011, 11:30 PM
I wish you could battle the sages.

Jokess
11th May 2011, 11:31 PM
Yeah, same! :D

Silent Conversation
11th May 2011, 11:33 PM
I wish you could battle the sages.

Maybe this is something they'll do in Grey (then again, probably not, but if they do I will love Grey just because of that)

MetalFlygon08
11th May 2011, 11:42 PM
The only abnormal Pokemon I've seen was a Mamoswine in the Giant Chasm, which makes sense, 1 escaped Piloswine that knew Ancient Power slowley spread it to other Pokemon.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 1:49 AM
I think Mamoswine doesn't make that much sense , but it is not as bad as a Dragonite in a pond

BCVM22
12th May 2011, 2:00 AM
but it is not as bad as a Dragonite in a pond

Which itself is only a problem to those individuals who have worked themselves into such a frenzy as to convince themselves of it being a problem.

So in other words, we're good. Moving on...

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 2:13 AM
Which itself is only a problem to those individuals who have worked themselves into such a frenzy as to convince themselves of it being a problem.

So in other words, we're good. Moving on...

Very well then. I've had this discussion before, I do not wish to have it again

Silent Conversation
12th May 2011, 2:15 AM
Very well then. I've had this discussion before, I do not wish to have it again

Because you realize you made no sense the first time around...

Hm... now we need something else to talk about...

Which battle did you think was easiest? Alder, Morimoto or Cynthia? I would actually say Alder because I expected him to be a lot harder than Morimoto and Cynthia, so was amazed at how easy he was.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 2:18 AM
Because you realize you made no sense the first time around...

Hm... now we need something else to talk about...

Which battle did you think was easiest? Alder, Morimoto or Cynthia? I would actually say Alder because I expected him to be a lot harder than Morimoto and Cynthia, so was amazed at how easy he was.

For me I found Morimoto to be the easiest. His team's genericness made it incredibly pathetic

Silent Conversation
12th May 2011, 2:19 AM
That's true. The three monkeys, the typical outside wild Pokemon, the typical cave wild Pokemon and then a Zebstrika thrown in there.

BCVM22
12th May 2011, 2:20 AM
Of those three, Morimoto is probably the easiest because half his roster is the monkeys, and the Fire > Water > Grass triangle is among the easiest to counter, and the other half is an Electric-type, a Psychic/Flying-type and a Dark-type that can't do a whole lot besides be fast, all of which are equally easily countered.

Not that the other two are all that difficult if you stack your roster right, although Alder's Volcarona can be a real pain if it gets some Quiver Dances down.

MetalFlygon08
12th May 2011, 2:20 AM
It's like Morimoto was every trainer mashed into 1, and the sheer number of the members of each trainer equaled the 6 he uses. And it's true, Pansage, Pansear, Panpour, Blitzle, Woobat, and Purrloin are the most encountered pokemon in trainer battles, followed by Sandile, Patrat, and Lillipup.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 2:21 AM
That's true. The three monkeys, the typical outside wild Pokemon, the typical cave wild Pokemon and then a Zebstrika thrown in there.
Zebstrika also is a typical Pokemon you find in the wild

edit: Holy crap, BCVM22 actually expressed his opinion rather than questioning someone else's

Burakoru
12th May 2011, 2:22 AM
For me I found Morimoto to be the easiest. His team's genericness made it incredibly pathetic

I beat all of them with my Emboar, includinh Simipour, you're right, wayyyy to easy.

Silent Conversation
12th May 2011, 2:22 AM
Actually it's not. Blitzle could only be found on one route in the game, and same with Zebstrika.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 2:23 AM
Actually it's not. Blitzle could only be found on one route in the game, and same with Zebstrika.

Well that's true but a lot of trainers still often have one

Silent Conversation
12th May 2011, 2:25 AM
Well that's true but a lot of trainers still often have one

Eh, I wouldn't say a lot. 6 trainers in the game use Blitzle while 8 use Zebstrika.

Burakoru
12th May 2011, 2:26 AM
Whenever I happen to have wifi up, I go to the random battle and the 6 most widely seen pokemon were The Monkeys obviously, Zebstrika, Hydreigon, and Excadrill.

Silent Conversation
12th May 2011, 2:27 AM
Oh, well Wi-fi is a different story, I was just talking in-game trainers.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 2:27 AM
Eh, I wouldn't say a lot. 6 trainers in the game use Blitzle while 8 use Zebstrika.

Well for some reason I still have in my head that Zebstrika is generic

pokefanNyvek
12th May 2011, 5:35 AM
I do apologize if this is the wrong place, but I can't seem to find a more appropriate location.

The entralink. Wonderful thing. My question is what's the range of this? I assumed since I was online via Wi-Fi, that it'd connect to random folks. But this doesn't seem to be the case (after an hour of waiting). How can I get connected to more people with this? Thanks. :D

Ememew
12th May 2011, 5:41 AM
I do apologize if this is the wrong place, but I can't seem to find a more appropriate location.

The entralink. Wonderful thing. My question is what's the range of this? I assumed since I was online via Wi-Fi, that it'd connect to random folks. But this doesn't seem to be the case (after an hour of waiting). How can I get connected to more people with this? Thanks. :D

Sorry, but the EntraLink is local wireless, not Wi-Fi, so the game you're trying to link to has to be physically nearby. I'm not sure, but I think the range is about 10ft. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 4:42 PM

BTW, the proper place would be the B/W Help thread

Geekachu
12th May 2011, 5:07 PM
It always confuzzled me how the Pan's and Simi's were gimmick Pokemon that related to the introduction of triple and rotation battes, however I can only recall around 2 or 3 triple battles in White, yet the monkeys were WAY overused, you couldn't escape them. They're watching us all. US ALL. AAAAAAAAAAH!!

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 5:17 PM
It always confuzzled me how the Pan's and Simi's were gimmick Pokemon that related to the introduction of triple and rotation battes, however I can only recall around 2 or 3 triple battles in White, yet the monkeys were WAY overused, you couldn't escape them. They're watching us all. US ALL. AAAAAAAAAAH!!

Yeah I know, they were everywhere!

Nibbles4Ever
12th May 2011, 6:18 PM
Yeah there should of been way more double and triple battles in the games.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 6:40 PM
Yeah there should of been way more double and triple battles in the games.

One thing I was kind of mad about was the lack of tag battles. D/P had so much, but BW only really had you and Cheren vs those two Plasma grunts

Pichu47
12th May 2011, 7:14 PM
One thing I was kind of mad about was the lack of tag battles. D/P had so much, but BW only really had you and Cheren vs those two Plasma grunts

I do miss having the fun of knocking out your tag parter with traded level 100's.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 7:15 PM
I do miss having the fun of knocking out your tag parter with traded level 100's.

Well...that. But I also enjoyed the strategy element to teaming up with an AI

Pichu47
12th May 2011, 7:18 PM
Well...that. But I also enjoyed the strategy element to teaming up with an AI

I guess so. But you can do that in the battle subway

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 7:19 PM
I guess so. But you can do that in the battle subway

True, but I prefer doing it in the main story

Pichu47
12th May 2011, 7:23 PM
True, but I prefer doing it in the main story

So do I, because doing to many battles in a row gets annoying. Plus, you get really mad at the AI for making a dumb mistake that costs you battle points.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 7:25 PM
So do I, because doing to many battles in a row gets annoying. Plus, you get really mad at the AI for making a dumb mistake that costs you battle points.

Yeah exactly. You and your rival VS Mars and Jupiter and you and Steven VS Maxie and Tabitha are two of my favourite double battles.

I still stand by my opinion that there should be a triple tag battle with you, Cheren, and Clay against the plasma grunts in Cold Storage

Geekachu
12th May 2011, 7:50 PM
I did one tag battle in the Battle Subway before I quit out of annoyance and frustration.

I'm such a control freak.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 7:51 PM
Lol. I don't usually like battle facilities, I find them really repetitive

Geekachu
12th May 2011, 7:57 PM
Lol. I don't usually like battle facilities, I find them really repetitive

I once got amazingly annoyed at this Simipour on the battle subway. I mean, losing to it wasn't so bad really but when he's standing there smiling and waving... it really rubs salt in the wound.

That's what I hate. Smug Pokemon.

Stupid Simipour.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 7:58 PM
I once got amazingly annoyed at this Simipour on the battle subway. I mean, losing to it wasn't so bad really but when he's standing there smiling and waving... it really rubs salt in the wound.

Stupid Simipour.

Lol, looking at Simipour can be very annoying

Pichu47
12th May 2011, 8:22 PM

Stupid Simipour.

I hate it when These pokemon take you down and they're smiling and acting like they're just carefree. I get mad and click outrage.

Robotic Wind
12th May 2011, 8:39 PM
Honestly, I have a simipour(named Iglus) and I love it. When I have a chance I love doing 3-4 work ups and then fury swiping the foe to death...its so fun...

I seem to have a hate/love relationship with Tynamo. I mean the pokemon is amazing but, it evovles on 39 and is currently at 5-6 levels stronger then everyone else.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
12th May 2011, 8:54 PM
Yeah Simipour is pretty good. It's annoying to look at though.