PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Black and White General Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Marbi Z
5th December 2010, 12:04 AM
...We have 48 legendaries (47 without Phione). 25 (24 without Phione...) are banned. 13 are banned for being "too goddamn strong holy hell help meeee", which means having a BST, Base Stat Total, higher than 600: 660 for Kyurem, 670 for Kyogre and Groudon, 680 for Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh and Rayquaza, 685 for Reshiram and Zekrom, 720 for Arceus. The other 12 (including Phione), on the other hand, are banned for being event-only.

This, my friend, is exactly the banlist for the Battle Tower, Frontier and Subway since, well, ever? Game Freak simply does not care AT ALL for this legendary title, as they have allowed lol Articuno with its awesome 580 BST, Latios with its 600 BST and awesome typing, stats, ability and movepool and Regigigas with 670 BST but lol Slow Start as its ability. Not only that, but since Gen I, they always create a 3-line evolutionary (which means they aren't legendary!) family whom the final evolution has a BST of... 600. You know, that's higher than the BST of TWENTY (nineteen without Phione) legendaries, and the same of 15 other legendaries.

Why can't I use Latios if you use Garchomp? Just because Latios is an one-off pokémon, is at the end of the Pokédex and has omg been the star of a Pokémon movie? What if Slaking (its BST is 670) didn't have Truant as its only ability, would you see no problem with allowing it? Or would you call it a legendary if Game Freak banned it? Really, being legendary or not matters zilch on it being acceptable. There's more to a pokémon than it meets the eye.

Also, real trainers use Lanturn! (Sigh) I guess you don't believe in Poke' Profiling... And when I mean LENGENDARY I mean Pokemon that are either One of a kind or very few... Personally... I think Legendary Pokemon represent SYMBLEISM meaning ( Look at me! I got the legendary Dialga! I'm better than all of you! ) And bullcrap like that! There are some Pokemon that just shouldn't be used in Offical Tournaments or Online Battles and Legendaries are it! Of course... I wouldn't mind having sexual intercourse with Latias or Lugia... Ever seen Pokemon Hero's!? It's safe to say that the girl that kissed Ash in the end was actually Latias... Yes! That's right! I support sex with Pokemon as a way of bonding! We can debate that another day...

R_N
5th December 2010, 12:36 AM
(Sigh) I guess you don't believe in Poke' Profiling... And when I mean LENGENDARY I mean Pokemon that are either One of a kind or very few... Personally... I think Legendary Pokemon represent SYMBLEISM meaning ( Look at me! I got the legendary Dialga! I'm better than all of you! ) And bullcrap like that! There are some Pokemon that just shouldn't be used in Offical Tournaments or Online Battles and Legendaries are it! Of course... I wouldn't mind having sexual intercourse with Latias or Lugia... Ever seen Pokemon Hero's!? It's safe to say that the girl that kissed Ash in the end was actually Latias... Yes! That's right! I support sex with Pokemon as a way of bonding! We can debate that another day...

I...oh my god what is I don't even

Endless
5th December 2010, 1:38 AM
(Sigh) I guess you don't believe in Poke' Profiling... And when I mean LENGENDARY I mean Pokemon that are either One of a kind or very few... Personally... I think Legendary Pokemon represent SYMBLEISM meaning ( Look at me! I got the legendary Dialga! I'm better than all of you! ) And bullcrap like that! There are some Pokemon that just shouldn't be used in Offical Tournaments or Online Battles and Legendaries are it! Of course... I wouldn't mind having sexual intercourse with Latias or Lugia... Ever seen Pokemon Hero's!? It's safe to say that the girl that kissed Ash in the end was actually Latias... Yes! That's right! I support sex with Pokemon as a way of bonding! We can debate that another day...
Well, I don't think it is a problem with the rules(but I prefer Smogon rules more, of obvious reasons). But what ever floats your boat. I don't get why you care if others usethis pokemon. It is not unfair or anything like that.

However I kind of lost respect for your argument when I found out you were a shipper. And a humanxpokemon shipper too. Would you please keep that in the shipper section instead?

Mario with Lasers
5th December 2010, 3:22 AM

...Requesting permission from the mods to flame.

Pretty please.

Lorde
5th December 2010, 3:48 AM
It looks like a missed some of that interview. Thanks for translating, S_M!

Ok then, the first part that captured my interest was that part about the order in which the Unova Starter Pokemon were created. It looks like Tepig was created first, then Snivy, then finally Oshawott. It doesn't surprise me that Oshawott was designed last since I had heard they had trouble with it, but I didn't know that Tepig came before Snivy. Sort of trivial but still worth mentioning. That thing about Tabunne taking over Chansey's role seems to be pretty spot-on, since it is seen in Pokemon Centers in the anime and in real life from the look of the promotional stuff that is being sold and given away in Japan. That thing about Emonga being the new Pikachu was also obvious since people pretty much knew that the moment we got that image of Emonga from the B/W bus. What I liked was that part about Yanappu/Hiyappu/Baoppu and how they were designed after the idea for the Sanyou City Gym was conceived. It seems that they gave the three monkeys, individual personalities as well. I believe they're based on the three wise monkeys. The rest of the stuff was pretty cool too, but I particularly liked the stuff I pointed out.

Anyway, I really hope the rest of the interview is translated (especially the music part!).

*Jean Grey*
5th December 2010, 4:25 AM
I posted this in the New Pokemon thread too, but meh. Rest of the character stuff is mostly translated on Pokejungle and the rest of the interview appears to be about the music, might get to that when I get home from work.

The starters are designed to not look strong in their first stages for the people beginning the games for the first time.
Tepig was designed first, then Snivy, then Oshawott.
Tepig was born out of the idea to have a pig shoot fire from its nose because it would be cute.
They always spend a lot of time worrying about the water type. If they get the base animal wrong then it can look weird. Same with the grass-type, and they give the example of a dog suddenly sprouting leaves being strange.
They wanted a reptile for the grass-type this time and because they already had a lizard of sorts (Treecko), they decided on a snake. Because to make it a true snake might be a little off-putting, they gave Snivy cute arms and legs, hoping that if they gradually made it more snake-like no one would be scared of it too much. Of course Jarlorda has his arms still, behind his back, making him look all high and mighty.
Oshawott was the hardest. They decided on an otter early on, but couldn’t figure out what it would evolve into. After seeing a sea-lion show and seeing how powerful their legs were they decided to use them as a base. Daikenki’s design was finished first and then Oshawott’s, by retro-fit.
Snivy was designed to be the cool one, Tepig, the funny one and Mijumaru the serious one.
Nageki and Dageki were designed by Sugimori. He’d had the idea for a Judo Pokemon that used throwing attacks (because that was a style of Fighting Pokemon they hadn’t done before) during DP’s development, but it wasn’t used so he redid it this time and it became Nageki. Dageki was born from the need for a counterpart to Nageki and used karate as the base.
Tabunne was born from an order to design a cute Pokemon, one that could fill Chansey’s position in the games (and also the anime - Sugimori mentions being worried about the Pokemon Nurse Joy would have since Isshu was to be all new Pokemon).
Sugimori describes Chillarmy as having the position of Clefairy from RBG. Masuda asked for a Pokemon that nearly everyone would think was cute, so they asked the guy who designed Pikachu. He describes Chillaccino as not becoming much bigger but more gorgeous in evolution.
For Victini, Masuda asked for a Pokemon of good fortune. From the start he wanted something that looked like people could get power from it and had a V-shape in it’s design.
Zorua and Zoroark were being designed (he says the ‘the thing that would become Zorua and Zoroark’) just as there was talk of using a dark-type in the 13th movie and they were selected because they suited a movie well. In terms of design, he says a point to notice is that Zoroark’s mane replaces his tail.
Mamepato and Minezumi are the Pidgey and Rattata. This bit’s hard to read but: it talks about all the heart shapes used in Mamepato’s family’s designs (a play on ‘hato’ pigeon and haato ‘heart-shaped’) like Mamepato’s chest and the male Kenhorou’s mask. Because they didn’t think a pigeon just getting bigger would look very strong, Mamepato is based off a pigeon (hato), Hatohboh is based off a turtledove (Kijibato) and Kenhorou is based off of a green pheasant, or a Japanese pheasant (Kiji).
Musharna was designed after one of the designers, who hadn’t come up with anything, was asked to desgin something, so he decided on a Baku that had dream smoke coming out of its head. It was pure coincidence that there’s the ‘dream’ features in the game and when they were asked to design a ‘dream’ Pokemon they already had one. Munna was born from the need for a pre-evo for Musharna.
Emonga is designed to be the Pikachu of the gen, like Pichu, Plusle, Minun and Pachirisu before it. It is the only Pokemon who’s ‘order’ allowed it to just be cute, other Pokemon cannot just be cute and get included. They thought of giving it a second type and decided to make it flying-type because of the Flying Pikachu.
Yanappu, Baoppu and Hiyappu were designed based on the knowledge that the first gym would be grass/fire/water, that the gym would be a restaurant and the leaders would be waiters. So the designer thought ‘what if the leader’s used a Pokemon that could cook?’ A different designer did the evolutions. They gave them personalities, like the starters. This part is hard to read too, so there is more, but I can’t make it out and don’t want to guess to much.
Yabukuron was designed because they wanted to a pollution related Pokemon included, especially since there’s a big city involved in the plot, and they thought the problem of garbage was what most people would think of when they thought of pollution. The original idea was a torn garbage bag.
The idea for a Pokemon with a runny nose that’s turned into a icicle was an idea bought up by one of the designers for a long time and they used it this time because the design finally worked. Also, because of the animations this time, they could get the idea across easier. Sugimori says that this is a new take on the Pokemon who drip or drool, like Gloom and laughs.
Symbolar’s original design was much more striking, but Sugimori sat down with the designer and made it more Pokemon-esque, although he still thinks it’s got a lot of impact.
Dokkorar was based on an idea for a Pokemon who worked at a construction site. It’s holding a bit of timber and they did wonder if it was ok for it to do so, but then the RBG Pokemon held stuff like spring onions and spoons and they thought the animation of this would be interesting. Its legs are based on knickerbockers. Dotekkotsu is supposed to be a young, powerful warrior, while Roobushin is a slightly aged veteran.
Kaburumo is based off a bug that eats snails (Chobomaki), but rather than have them eat each other, they thought why not trade them. They wanted Kaburumo’s evo to be slow and the realised that if they gave it Chobomaki’s shell to wear in evolution that would work.

Grr...I would've wanted a canine Grass starter ( Cu Sidhe or Fennec fox perhaps) why are they so dead-set on reptile Grass starters/ For a change, I'd want to see Grass being the only non-reptile starter in the 6th Generation. And how do they explain Leafeon, who has grass sprouting from it?

Porygandrew
5th December 2010, 5:16 AM
blah blah blah

I definitely believe that, along with the Nazca lines, Shinbora's design is cleverly inspired by Ken Sugimori's own signature! (Search Bulbapedia)

And Roobushin's concrete pillars are very similar to, conceptually, the Nigiri-game I use in my Goju-Ryu class.

why are they so dead-set on reptile Grass starters?
If anything, I think that Shikijika and Mebukijika show that mammalian-based designs can be successful grass-types. I actually wouldn't have minded if Shikijika was the grass starter.

*Jean Grey*
5th December 2010, 5:43 AM
^^ Exactly my point! Why not give us a mammalian or even an avian Grass starter for once if mammalian Grass-types exist? I want the first canid starter to be a Grass-type actually.

R_N
5th December 2010, 8:29 AM
I would love to see Shinbora's original "striking" design. I wonder what it looked like...

Sabonea_Masukippa
5th December 2010, 10:41 AM
I definitely believe that, along with the Nazca lines, Shinbora's design is cleverly inspired by Ken Sugimori's own signature! (Search Bulbapedia)

They kinda look similar but I think it's more of a coincidence than anything, since Kanji written in that style are fairly standardised.

I would love to see Shinbora's original "striking" design. I wonder what it looked like...

I'm thinking something either really scary or something that was literally just a 'line'.

Oshakpop
5th December 2010, 12:37 PM
One thing people... Will we be getting the usual "new news a month" thing in Japan for the English release? Like will the US site update with English names and such each month?

Sabonea_Masukippa
5th December 2010, 1:40 PM
One thing people... Will we be getting the usual "new news a month" thing in Japan for the English release? Like will the US site update with English names and such each month?

They've not said explicitly, but they did mention (I think) releasing information fairly regularly so we might get lucky and have them more or less follow the order of the Japanese unveiling (which they kind of have if you ignore Zorua and Zoroark).

If they followed that pattern we'd see Babburn, Chillarmy, Geer, Dreamir, Zebolt, Flegeon and Crocular revealed there this month.

Then in Jan we'd (hypothetically) see Guardmouse, Lunir, Cellculus, Gothimoisel, Baturn, Fangon, and Eagallant.
Then Feb we'd see Therapish, Seasoal, Shroil, Swaddleaf, Swanna, Gigaiath, Guardhog and Victini.
Then March we'd see Treeape, Waterape, Fryape, Emonga, Vinake, Swelterig, Osholar, Budeer, Clotton, Tuloot, Mushroof, Rollder, Buffafro, Cleptokat, Yorterrie, Droil, Hearling, Basserk, Tremblax, Mummorial, and Thundula.

Maxim
5th December 2010, 1:59 PM
They've not said explicitly, but they did mention (I think) releasing information fairly regularly so we might get lucky and have them more or less follow the order of the Japanese unveiling (which they kind of have if you ignore Zorua and Zoroark). If they followed that pattern we'd see Babburn, Chillarmy, Geer, Dreamir, Zebolt, Flegeon and Crocular revealed there this month.

And Prof. Cedar!

I care about people's names much more than the Pokemon...

LexSuicune
5th December 2010, 6:41 PM
I really like the name Thundula for Dentula, it fits like a glove. <3

Marbi Z
5th December 2010, 7:10 PM
Well, I don't think it is a problem with the rules(but I prefer Smogon rules more, of obvious reasons). But what ever floats your boat. I don't get why you care if others usethis pokemon. It is not unfair or anything like that.

However I kind of lost respect for your argument when I found out you were a shipper. And a humanxpokemon shipper too. Would you please keep that in the shipper section instead?

What the heck is a shipper? Well... Whatever it is I'll be sure to check out that section you mentioned. Thanks!

Marbi Z
5th December 2010, 7:19 PM
...Requesting permission from the mods to flame.

Pretty please. I can see were goin to be very good friends... But let's not blow things out of porportion. After all... Were just Pokemon fans with different opinions. Now if you'll excuse me... I gotta get a missiletow for my Two female Gardevoirs and my Two Lopunny ( Male and Female ) Have a safe and Merry Christmas!

Sponge
5th December 2010, 8:34 PM
I think I heard this name ages ago, but it seems so right for Denchura/Dentula.

Thorantula

Thor is the norse god of thunder just so you know. What do you think?

My only worry is it might be too similar to Tarantula....

cartert4219
5th December 2010, 8:36 PM
If that ended up being his English name he would move from a place of obscurity in my mind to a must have on my team.

R_N
5th December 2010, 8:42 PM
I think I heard this name ages ago, but it seems so right for Denchura/Dentula.

Thorantula

Thor is the norse god of thunder just so you know. What do you think?

My only worry is it might be too similar to Tarantula....

I would be more worried about misreading it as "Thorntula"

Grei
5th December 2010, 9:58 PM
And Prof. Cedar!

I care about people's names much more than the Pokemon...

Why would Cedar be chosen when Yew is a much more fitting and accurate name for her?

I can see were goin to be very good friends... But let's not blow things out of porportion. After all... Were just Pokemon fans with different opinions. Now if you'll excuse me... I gotta get a missiletow for my Two female Gardevoirs and my Two Lopunny ( Male and Female ) Have a safe and Merry Christmas!

You are a shipper. You follow the literal definition of a shipper. :|

And yeah, you both have opinions. The difference is that Mario with Lasers isn't coming in and telling other people that their opinions are flat-out wrong if they don't agree with his, unlike you.

Sabonea_Masukippa
6th December 2010, 1:30 AM
Why would Cedar be chosen when Yew is a much more fitting and accurate name for her?

Isshu --> Unova

Let's not be too surprised at what names they're willing to completely change.

Grei
6th December 2010, 1:49 AM
Isshu --> Unova

Let's not be too surprised at what names they're willing to completely change.

I see your point, but Isshu being changed to Unova was because Isshu sounds too much like an English word, one that has a negative meaning. I'm sure the change was made while foreseeing possible rants against Black and White involving the similarity between Isshu and Issue. In fact, with America being so focused on race, I'm sure GameFreak saw a potential recipe for disaster in releasing two games that could possibly be taken as racist in name, with their setting being an "issue region."

That sort of change is understandable, but I don't think that we'll see similar large name changes with names that don't cause potential problems. The Yew isn't a sex symbol or the insignia of the KKK or anything, so a direct translation--just like with the past four Professors--wouldn't be an "issue."

Kreis
6th December 2010, 2:09 AM
I see your point, but Isshu being changed to Unova was because Isshu sounds too much like an English word, one that has a negative meaning. I'm sure the change was made while foreseeing possible rants against Black and White involving the similarity between Isshu and Issue. In fact, with America being so focused on race, I'm sure GameFreak saw a potential recipe for disaster in releasing two games that could possibly be taken as racist in name, with their setting being an "issue region."

That sort of change is understandable, but I don't think that we'll see similar large name changes with names that don't cause potential problems. The Yew isn't a sex symbol or the insignia of the KKK or anything, so a direct translation--just like with the past four Professors--wouldn't be an "issue."

Furthermore, the name "Unova" still keeps the intended meaning for the Isshu region, so the name change fits just dandy.

Sabonea_Masukippa
6th December 2010, 2:13 AM

You're completely right, of course.

I'm just trying to not be too attached to names like Yew or Iris or Dent, Pod or Corn in case they do change, for whatever reason. Even stuff like Emonga or Chillarmy, which in previous Generations I would have been sure would stay the same, I think have a certain possibilty might change.

(Not that, on second thought, the dub names matter too much to me since I probably won't bother with the English games at all).

Blueysicle
6th December 2010, 3:01 AM
The Yew isn't a sex symbol or the insignia of the KKK or anything, so a direct translation--just like with the past four Professors--wouldn't be an "issue."

...Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that Rowan was the only Professor whose English name was a direct translation of his Japanese one.

Amazingly though, I have seen a few people claim that Yew wouldn't work because it sounds too much like "Jew". Commence facepalm.

R_N
6th December 2010, 3:41 AM
I could see them not wanting everyone to say Professor You, I guess.

Grei
6th December 2010, 3:49 AM
You're completely right, of course.

I'm just trying to not be too attached to names like Yew or Iris or Dent, Pod or Corn in case they do change, for whatever reason. Even stuff like Emonga or Chillarmy, which in previous Generations I would have been sure would stay the same, I think have a certain possibilty might change.

(Not that, on second thought, the dub names matter too much to me since I probably won't bother with the English games at all).

I can understand that. For some reason I don't see Iris changing, but Dent, Pod, and Corn will probably all change to fit their respective types. Forrest, Heath, and Walter? I'm not sure.

R_N
6th December 2010, 3:55 AM
I could see them being both related to their type and also related to them being waiters/chefs.

If any of the three were to keep their names (or something similar to their names), it would probably be Dento.

Grei
6th December 2010, 3:58 AM
...Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that Rowan was the only Professor whose English name was a direct translation of his Japanese one.

Amazingly though, I have seen a few people claim that Yew wouldn't work because it sounds too much like "Jew". Commence facepalm.

I never realized that, I thought they were all translations... hmm. Well, one could say Oak's was a pun on his Japanese name and Elm's and Birch's Japanese names were too complicated for direct translation... I dunno.

Prof. Yew just fits so well. I suppose I don't care too much (honestly I don't like Araragi as much as Rowan), I would just prefer Yew. Thinking on it, Cedar or Maple work as well.

I could see them not wanting everyone to say Professor You, I guess.

"You" isn't a negative word, though. It can't be used in punny news article titles in order to talk bad about Pokemon.

tmega90
6th December 2010, 11:34 PM
Zorua and Zoroark are now announced in English!
http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/

Dr. Leggs
7th December 2010, 12:11 AM
So Trickery and Claw Sharpen are now Foul Play and Hone Claws... Foul Play is a cool name, but Hone Claws sounds a little off to me. I'll get over it mighty quick though.

Also, it looks like in-game default names aren't capslocked anymore (Zoroark as opposed to ZOROARK), which honestly has always bugged me about the games. [POKEMON used ATTACK] always looked so awkward to me... I was relieved when they did that for move names last generation; I'm glad they made the next step.

Lorde
7th December 2010, 12:22 AM
Also, it looks like in-game default names aren't capslocked anymore (Zoroark as opposed to ZOROARK), which honestly has always bugged me about the games.

Hey good eye there. I hadn't even noticed that Pokemon names were no longer in all capital letters. I wasn't really paying much attention to the screenshots, just the information at the bottom haha. While the capital letters never really bothered me in the past, I have to admit that Pokemon names look a bit better in B/W from the look of it. Hopefully, Zorua and Zoroark weren't just nicknamed :p

Mario with Lasers
7th December 2010, 12:53 AM
It could also be a beta picture, I guess.

And they used to be in CAPS LOCK HOLY COW because the original names are in katakana, and technically when you transliterate a word in katakana to the Roman alphabet, you put it in all caps... I guess.

Dr. Leggs
7th December 2010, 12:58 AM
I don't see why they would do that only for beta, though. Beta pictures for D/P had all-caps names.

And the English names (with a few exceptions) aren't transliterations of katakana, they're syllabically (I think I made that up) different names, so that wouldn't really make sense. But it doesn't really matter I suppose.

Ophie
7th December 2010, 12:46 PM
I would be more worried about misreading it as "Thorntula"

I still see kids spelling Raichu's name as "Riachu" and calling it "RYE-a-chu"; and Gyarados's name as "Gyrados" and calling it "JAI-er-dose." "Thorntula" will be nothing by comparison.

In some languages, the "J" in "Jew" is pronounced with a "Y" sound. Hopefully, those languages will either give her an original name or use some other language's.

Regarding the similarity to the word "you," I remember some anime and games where there's someone named "Yuu," and it makes for an awkward English translation no matter how yew cut it. (Persona 4 has both a character named Yuu and another named Ai.)

It could also be a beta picture, I guess.

And they used to be in CAPS LOCK HOLY COW because the original names are in katakana, and technically when you transliterate a word in katakana to the Roman alphabet, you put it in all caps... I guess.

The reason why they used to do that was because putting things in all capital letters was the only way to make a word stand out on the monochrome Game Boy screen. Other games use colored text, which the eye catches faster, but the Game Boy can't do that.

There was this experiment some time ago where people where shown a row of identical shapes, with one being different. They went through a series of them, with a different difference each time. The one that the test subjects always detected fastest was when one was moving and the others were not. This was followed by one being a different color, then one being outside of the row (position), then one being a different size from the others, and the slowest being one being a different shape from the others.

Putting a word in all capital letters is effectively making the text a different size without compromising the typographic layout. Everything that can be detected faster than size is either impossible on a Game Boy screen or is impractical to use in text (like if a single word was wiggling about, though the Paper Mario games sometimes do it).

From the Game Boy Color and onwards, the systems could accomodate different colors. The reason why the Pokémon games kept their names in all-caps was because of the anticipated ability to bring Pokémon from one generation over to another. The games consider an upper-case letter and its lower-case counterpart as two different letters. For example, the game would consider "PONYTA" and "Ponyta" to have only 1 letter in common. Without extra programming to treat upper- and lower-case counterparts as the same letter, a PONYTA imported to a generation with Ponyta would count the imported Pokémon as having a nickname. Ruby/Sapphire was the only Pokémon game with the opportunity to ditch the odd capitalization, though I'm glad it didn't because of that terrible font.

Most likely, that programming to make A = a, B = b, and so forth has been added to Black/White, or at least to recognize PONYTA as Ponyta and possibly fix the name coming in. What I wonder is if it'll give us the option to fix nicknames, as mine are still in all-caps due to Pokémon names in games being all-caps.

Mario with Lasers
7th December 2010, 2:13 PM
I still see kids spelling Raichu's name as "Riachu" and calling it "RYE-a-chu"; and Gyarados's name as "Gyrados" and calling it "JAI-er-dose." "Thorntula" will be nothing by comparison.

In some languages, the "J" in "Jew" is pronounced with a "Y" sound. Hopefully, those languages will either give her an original name or use some other language's.

Regarding the similarity to the word "you," I remember some anime and games where there's someone named "Yuu," and it makes for an awkward English translation no matter how yew cut it. (Persona 4 has both a character named Yuu and another named Ai.)

The reason why they used to do that was because putting things in all capital letters was the only way to make a word stand out on the monochrome Game Boy screen. Other games use colored text, which the eye catches faster, but the Game Boy can't do that.

There was this experiment some time ago where people where shown a row of identical shapes, with one being different. They went through a series of them, with a different difference each time. The one that the test subjects always detected fastest was when one was moving and the others were not. This was followed by one being a different color, then one being outside of the row (position), then one being a different size from the others, and the slowest being one being a different shape from the others.

Putting a word in all capital letters is effectively making the text a different size without compromising the typographic layout. Everything that can be detected faster than size is either impossible on a Game Boy screen or is impractical to use in text (like if a single word was wiggling about, though the Paper Mario games sometimes do it).

From the Game Boy Color and onwards, the systems could accomodate different colors. The reason why the Pokémon games kept their names in all-caps was because of the anticipated ability to bring Pokémon from one generation over to another. The games consider an upper-case letter and its lower-case counterpart as two different letters. For example, the game would consider "PONYTA" and "Ponyta" to have only 1 letter in common. Without extra programming to treat upper- and lower-case counterparts as the same letter, a PONYTA imported to a generation with Ponyta would count the imported Pokémon as having a nickname. Ruby/Sapphire was the only Pokémon game with the opportunity to ditch the odd capitalization, though I'm glad it didn't because of that terrible font.

Most likely, that programming to make A = a, B = b, and so forth has been added to Black/White, or at least to recognize PONYTA as Ponyta and possibly fix the name coming in. What I wonder is if it'll give us the option to fix nicknames, as mine are still in all-caps due to Pokémon names in games being all-caps.

Wow, thanks for the explanation. I had the katakana thing in mind but was never really sure of it (what Dr. Leggs said is a reason why).

Hejiru
7th December 2010, 11:21 PM
I Most likely, that programming to make A = a, B = b, and so forth has been added to Black/White, or at least to recognize PONYTA as Ponyta and possibly fix the name coming in. What I wonder is if it'll give us the option to fix nicknames, as mine are still in all-caps due to Pokémon names in games being all-caps.

Of course, they solve everything if they would just let us change nicknames from different OT's. It really annoys me that we can't do that. >_<

Sponge
7th December 2010, 11:52 PM
That annoys me too, and it's only because of some "special bond" between the trainer and the pokemon he traded away which is completely non-existant in at least 99&#37; of cases. :/

RoninOtterai
8th December 2010, 2:28 AM
well the idea that there is a program to turn upper case letters into lower case seems like the most logical idea. i would figure pokemon names are all characters in an array so all they would have to do is use a loop starting from the 1 element(cpu memory starts at 0) until the end of the array and then call a lower case function to convert them.

Ophie
8th December 2010, 7:47 AM
It's not always universal. Some Pok&#233;mon have capital letters in the middle of their names, most notably Mr. Mime and Mime Jr. (Are they the only ones?) I would've figured the most foolproof method would be to have each Pok&#233;mon name written down separately.

Or perhaps Nintendo of America no longer cares, considering the GTS has allowed people to bring in Pok&#233;mon from other languages, which DO count as their nicknames and thus won't change when they evolve.

R_N
8th December 2010, 7:53 AM
It's not always universal. Some Pok&#233;mon have capital letters in the middle of their names, most notably Mr. Mime and Mime Jr. (Are they the only ones?) I would've figured the most foolproof method would be to have each Pok&#233;mon name written down separately.

Or perhaps Nintendo of America no longer cares, considering the GTS has allowed people to bring in Pok&#233;mon from other languages, which DO count as their nicknames and thus won't change when they evolve.

Tell that to my Japanese Empoleon who no longer has a Japanese name (it evolved from a Piplup)

Ophie
8th December 2010, 9:38 AM
Whoa, really? They compensate for that? I can't remember who it was, but I got a Japanese Pok&#233;mon (probably Meowth), evolved it, and its name stayed the same.

Mario with Lasers
8th December 2010, 1:59 PM
Either it didn't have its Japanese name, or it was poorly hacked and had the "nicknamed" flag ticked.

Turtwig209
9th December 2010, 11:28 AM
So that brings the confirmed name count to 7, with 4 of them being the literal translations. Personally I think tepig's final evolution is going to be emboar. But the real reason I posted was to discuss Oshawott. I think it must work like this - 'osha' sounds kinda like ocean and 'wot' has to come from the first sylibal of water and 'ott' must come from otter. What do you guys think?

swampertlover5712
9th December 2010, 1:34 PM
^I thought of that too a while ago. His name is ocean, water, and otter combined. Oh, how people continue to amaze me.
Tepig's final evolution probably will be "Emboar" because it just sounds like something they would call it.

Ophie
9th December 2010, 1:52 PM
Either it didn't have its Japanese name, or it was poorly hacked and had the "nicknamed" flag ticked.

Hmm, that's interesting. I've seen this whole Pokémon-with-foreign-names-treated-as-nicknames so often that I concluded that the game doesn't translate and figure it out. I do know the Japanese names of Pokémon, so I can recognize it when a Pokémon's been nicknamed.

I must receive a lot of hacked Pokémon.

Suerte17
17th December 2010, 10:09 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. I've seen this whole Pokémon-with-foreign-names-treated-as-nicknames so often that I concluded that the game doesn't translate and figure it out. I do know the Japanese names of Pokémon, so I can recognize it when a Pokémon's been nicknamed.

I must receive a lot of hacked Pokémon.
That must be the case, since my foreign Pok&#233;mon also have their names change to the English versions when they evolve.

Back on topic, it's about time they changed the all-capital letters trend the games have been following since the beginning. They had the perfect opportunity to change that in Ruby and Sapphire but for some reason decided not to. I'm very particular about grammar, so it's always annoyed me to see their names completely capitalized. xD

Out of curiosity, though, what are the odds that since it's only a pre-game picture, the names may not change at all?

LexSuicune
18th December 2010, 7:03 PM
When should we be getting the english names of the rest of the Pokemon? Do we have to wait 'till the game comes to America?

R_N
18th December 2010, 8:17 PM
When should we be getting the english names of the rest of the Pokemon? Do we have to wait 'till the game comes to America?
There has never been a set date. Just be patient and sometime between now and March (Possibly April) we will see a trickle of new names before the games are released.

Aurath8
18th December 2010, 10:47 PM
So that brings the confirmed name count to 7, with 4 of them being the literal translations. Personally I think tepig's final evolution is going to be emboar. But the real reason I posted was to discuss Oshawott. I think it must work like this - 'osha' sounds kinda like ocean and 'wot' has to come from the first sylibal of water and 'ott' must come from otter. What do you guys think?

^I thought of that too a while ago. His name is ocean, water, and otter combined. Oh, how people continue to amaze me.
Tepig's final evolution probably will be "Emboar" because it just sounds like something they would call it.

Don't forget that Tepid means lukewarm. I think they plan on having the evos gradually get hotter, so having Ember, a dying flame, as the name of the hottest evo doesn't make sense. Of course, Chaobuu could be Emboar or Gamefreak could put on it's trollface and mess up the name.
Anyone got ideas for Jalorda?

SHIFTER01
18th December 2010, 11:18 PM
if Jalorda ends up being Sirpent or Serplant I'm gonna have to stab a *****.

on the subject of starter evo names, my money's on Otturai for Futachimaru and Ivyper for Janovy.

;136; Dude

wearjo
19th December 2010, 3:08 AM
I really wish that you could trade the black and white pokes to diamond and pearl and the rest... as in the older games download the data of the new games if u know what i mean............

nikohesus
19th December 2010, 4:16 AM
So confirmed names:

Victini (through Melbourne IT)
Snivy
Tepig
Oshawott
Zorua
Zoroark
Reshiram
Zekrom
Keldeo (through Melbourne IT)
Meloetta (through Melbourne IT)
Kyurem (through Melbourne IT)
Genesect (through Melbourne IT)

All the rest provide broken links.

Sabonea_Masukippa
19th December 2010, 5:36 AM
So confirmed names:

Victini (through Melbourne IT)
Snivy
Tepig
Oshawott
Zorua
Zoroark
Reshiram
Zekrom
Keldeo (through Melbourne IT)
Meloetta (through Melbourne IT)
Kyurem (through Melbourne IT)
Genesect (through Melbourne IT)

All the rest provide broken links.

To be technical, Victini, Keldeo, Kyurem, Meloetta and Genesect are all the official romanizations of the Japanese names, not the official English names, although as they're legends it's likely they'll be the same/similar.

MetalFlygon08
19th December 2010, 5:39 AM
Don't forget that Tepid means lukewarm. I think they plan on having the evos gradually get hotter, so having Ember, a dying flame, as the name of the hottest evo doesn't make sense. Of course, Chaobuu could be Emboar or Gamefreak could put on it's trollface and mess up the name.
Anyone got ideas for Jalorda?

Actually the embers are the hottest part, if you've ever cooked a cobblier in a dutch oven you'll know why.

Grei
19th December 2010, 7:11 AM
I really wish that you could trade the black and white pokes to diamond and pearl and the rest... as in the older games download the data of the new games if u know what i mean............

This would take so much processing power and technological ability. It's more than just copying down a sprite and some stats, it's closer to completely re-wiring the game.

BCVM22
19th December 2010, 8:53 AM

Why would anyone want this?

Aurath8
19th December 2010, 10:36 AM
Why would anyone want this?

Because we'd all love to see Rowan's, Cynthia and well... everybody's OMGWTF face when you pull out a Dragon Dancing Ononokusu and proceed to burn Sinnoh to the ground. :D

wearjo
19th December 2010, 11:20 AM
Because we'd all love to see Rowan's, Cynthia and well... everybody's OMGWTF face when you pull out a Dragon Dancing Ononokusu and proceed to burn Sinnoh to the ground. :D

haha that's pretty much my point...

it would also be kool if u could literally cross breed lol

and example would be empoleon and blastoise would make blaspoleon, the penguin in a shell pokemon ;D

BCVM22
19th December 2010, 11:22 AM
Uh huh. "Kool".

There are threads where you can safely post such inanities and no one actually has to read them.

Ophie
19th December 2010, 8:59 PM
Cross-breeding like that would be a programming nightmare.

aggronFTW
19th December 2010, 9:24 PM
Someone should really make a thread where people can just post their guesses for english names of the pokemon.

Rose Storm
19th December 2010, 11:42 PM
^ You have Pokebeach for that. But on that note, I've seen Fawna for Shikijika somewhere. It sounds almost certain it'd be along those lines.

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th December 2010, 2:03 AM
Yes! Let's talk about English names.

I thought of one for Daikenki last night: Shellmott (shell + helmet + otter). And Desmas could be Maspirit (Mask + spirit). And I still like Ribbitoad for Gamageroge and Hearling/Probunny for Tabunne. I can see something like Classerpant or Serpass for Jalorda. I also like Tremblaxe for Ononokus, Elphoon for Erufuun, Lizag for Zurugu and Musheild for Morobareru. Maractus for Maracatchy, Boboulder for Dangoro (A pun on Bobomb), and Orbeam for Orbem, Buffafro for Baffaron, Vulchild for Vulchai, Feasilient for Kenhorou (Feather/Pheasant + resilient) and I'm gonna gun for Purrgular for Choroneko. And Uggling is always an option for Koaruhie.

And Basserk. Ninjile/Ningile.

EDIT: LOL at people in a certain other thread on a certain other forum thinking that 'Enbuoh' is never going to be called 'Emboar' and that more than a few of the legendary's names will be changed in any significant way.
EDIT 2: Oh dear...some of these names really are fail.

R_N
20th December 2010, 4:43 AM
Shellmott would be horrrrrrrible
Like genuinely horrible

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th December 2010, 5:08 AM
What about Warriott?

R_N
20th December 2010, 5:21 AM
What about Warriott?

I am going to set you ablaze to prevent your horrible naming from ever coming to fruition!

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th December 2010, 5:33 AM
What? I got plenty more where that came from mwahahaha.

Pebbwell (Pebble + dwell), Hermitrium (hermit crab + atrium), Flarvae (flame + larvae), Frelly (frill + jellyfish), Moustacidog (mustachio + dog) , Guardmunk (guard + chipmunk), Doyal (Dove + loyal), Beart (Bat + Heart), Snocicle (swow + icicle), Beautiswan (Beauty + swan), Flandle (flame + candle), Seasoal (season + foal).

Oh yeah, you love it,

BCVM22
20th December 2010, 5:46 AM
Flandle?

Really?

R_N
20th December 2010, 6:38 AM
Someone give me mod powers you must be stopped

aggronFTW
20th December 2010, 9:30 AM
How about Ghoulem for Goruugu?

BCVM22
20th December 2010, 9:34 AM
How about stopppppp. You realize Sabonea_Masukippa is doing this out of some twisted sense of fun rather than seriousness, right?

If you absolutely must tell the world your wonderful ideas for English names, I'm sure the people here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=378197) will be more than happy to receive you.

Also I would think Ghoulem looks and sounds too close to Golem, even if they would be pronounced differently.

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th December 2010, 10:53 AM
Flandle?

Really?

That's the only one that bothered you? Really??

Someone give me mod powers you must be stopped

Never! I will keep naming forever: Cogear (co + cog + gear)...Croceyedile

How about stopppppp. You realize Sabonea_Masukippa is doing this out of some twisted sense of fun rather than seriousness, right?

What you don't realize is that my uncle actually works for NoA and he gave me a copy of the English game to try out and these are the real names. Dento is called Anferni and Iris is called Shamiqua. You'll see.

BCVM22
20th December 2010, 11:04 AM
That's the only one that bothered you? Really??

You really think I read that whole list, chum? It was the one that jumped out at me.

Looking back, "Buffafro" isn't bad at all.

What you don't realize is that my uncle actually works for NoA and he gave me a copy of the English game to try out and these are the real names. Dento is called Anferni and Iris is called Shamiqua. You'll see.

Shamiqua don't live here no more.

I give you a C+ for originality, B- for execution. Your grade would have been higher if you'd introduced a few more links to the "my _____ works for NoA" chain, i.e. "my uncle's friend's brother's dog's hairdresser's second cousin".

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th December 2010, 11:11 AM
You really think I read that whole list, chum? It was the one that jumped out at me.

Looking back, "Buffafro" isn't bad at all.

Best of a bad bunch, really. Although quite difficult to say.

Shamiqua don't live here no more.

I give you a C+ for originality, B- for execution. Your grade would have been higher if you'd introduced a few more links to the "my _____ works for NoA" chain, i.e. "my uncle's friend's brother's dog's hairdresser's second cousin".

Eh, not bad. Too tired to come up with more original lies. Will keep it in mind for next time. :P

Ravenous14
20th December 2010, 11:56 AM
I doubt Daikenki would be named after an Otter

it doesn't exactly look like one

it looks more like something you'd see in Greek mythology or something, I'd say try thinking along those lines

BCVM22
20th December 2010, 12:02 PM
it looks more like something you'd see in Greek mythology or something, I'd say try thinking along those lines

A giant samurai sea lion is something you'd see in Greek mythology...?

Will-powered Spriter
20th December 2010, 12:18 PM
On the subject of bad names, I'd like to suggest Rattlaxe for Ononokusu.

arceus7
20th December 2010, 5:46 PM
Erufuun should be named alafalfa Shealafal(Alfalfa + sheep)

Rose Storm
21st December 2010, 2:48 AM
I posted this in the other discussion thread, but then I kinda figured out it'd be better here.

The official site just updated with info on the shiny legendary beasts in the US: http://www.pokemongoldsilver.com/us/#/news/trio/ Either that or I'm really, really late. Shame about it not coming to Europe.

BCVM22
21st December 2010, 2:57 AM
Shame about it not coming to Europe.

I'm not sure why or how you would see Nintendo of America's website announce an event for North America and somehow conclude it has anything to do with Europe.

R_N
21st December 2010, 3:12 AM
Looks like they changed things up. Now we can get all three!
Before you had to reserve your ticket and you'd randomly get one.

nikohesus
21st December 2010, 4:46 AM
YYYYYYEYYEYEYEYEYEYSYSYSYSYSEYUSEYSEYSTDYSETYSE!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(yes)
I'm so excited for this-
-Finally I can get the shiny beasts!
-I don't need Wi-fi (take that, oldass router!)
-I can get all three!
-If I work it out, I can get all of them on my Pearl, Platinum and SS!!!

I'm so freaking happy....

Grei
21st December 2010, 4:59 AM
-If I work it out, I can get all of them on my Pearl, Platinum and SS!!!

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this... that's sweet. I'll be able to get nine beasts total, three per beast. I'm even more excited for this event now!

Mario with Lasers
21st December 2010, 5:42 AM
Oh boy are we gonna have all three beas--

in participating GameStop stores

I WANTED TO BELIEVE

R_N
21st December 2010, 5:52 AM
Oh boy are we gonna have all three beas--

I WANTED TO BELIEVE

Does your gamestop not like Pokemon events?

I could give you one of my three if you want :D

arceus7
21st December 2010, 5:58 AM
lol I rebought diamond pearl and platinum and SS ( ruby,emerald, and fire red too) plus I am getting a dsi for christmas and I get this, whoa way too much

wearjo
21st December 2010, 6:01 AM
Yes! Let's talk about English names.

I thought of one for Daikenki last night: Shellmott (shell + helmet + otter). And Desmas could be Maspirit (Mask + spirit). And I still like Ribbitoad for Gamageroge and Hearling/Probunny for Tabunne. I can see something like Classerpant or Serpass for Jalorda. I also like Tremblaxe for Ononokus, Elphoon for Erufuun, Lizag for Zurugu and Musheild for Morobareru. Maractus for Maracatchy, Boboulder for Dangoro (A pun on Bobomb), and Orbeam for Orbem, Buffafro for Baffaron, Vulchild for Vulchai, Feasilient for Kenhorou (Feather/Pheasant + resilient) and I'm gonna gun for Purrgular for Choroneko. And Uggling is always an option for Koaruhie.

And Basserk. Ninjile/Ningile.

EDIT: LOL at people in a certain other thread on a certain other forum thinking that 'Enbuoh' is never going to be called 'Emboar' and that more than a few of the legendary's names will be changed in any significant way.
EDIT 2: Oh dear...some of these names really are fail.

maspirit is too close to mesprit...

LexSuicune
21st December 2010, 6:30 AM
After Oshawott I'm done trying to come up with english names, I'm just done. They are insane.

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st December 2010, 1:29 PM
Ah yes, I long for the days of Seel, Farfetch'd, Golem and Ditto when English names were actually creative.

nikohesus
21st December 2010, 11:03 PM
^Just gonna point out that this is sarcasm for those who might flame.

Mario with Lasers
22nd December 2010, 12:46 AM
Does your gamestop not like Pokemon events?

I could give you one of my three if you want :D

I don't even have a GameStop here (Brazil) >__> But it's fine, we may still have this event here in a year or two, and I already have my ways to get a shiny Raikou, so thanks! I just wish I could soft-reset for one by myself...

R_N
22nd December 2010, 1:40 AM
I don't even have a GameStop here (Brazil) >__> But it's fine, we may still have this event here in a year or two, and I already have my ways to get a shiny Raikou, so thanks! I just wish I could soft-reset for one by myself...

Oh hey didn't know you lived in Brazil

You always seemed more of a Flare Blitz Entei type

nikohesus
22nd December 2010, 2:31 AM
Whoa, far place to live.

There has to be a Gamestop everywhere, how do you live?

Rose Storm
22nd December 2010, 3:07 AM
We don't have Gamestop here in the UK either. We have GAME, but they won't have download stations or anything unless you live in London. I'm not sure how they're going to do it, if at all.

Dr. Leggs
22nd December 2010, 3:21 AM
Thankfully there's a Gamestop within walking distance of me... So I'll be picking all three of these guys up (except maybe Entei). I'm hoping there are more Gamestop events in the future, 'cause they work very well for me, but in the long run I can see how they're not the most desirable for people.

Ravenous14
22nd December 2010, 3:30 AM
the closest thing to Gamestop we have is EB games, and they barely host events

Mario with Lasers
22nd December 2010, 4:22 AM
Oh hey didn't know you lived in Brazil

You always seemed more of a Flare Blitz Entei type

No, I'm more of the Butterfly Dance Suicune type (I STILL want to believe). As the event Suicune sucks in both nature (lol Relaxed seriously man) and moves (Aqua Ring isn't really worth it), I just really want Raikou; Flare Blitz Entei may be cool and all but lol when you have a legendary that's outclassed by ARCANINE every single time a new game's released, you know something is wrong. It sucks for Raikou to be Ground-weak in this metagame, though, lol Doryuuzu.

And hey guys Brazil isn't really that far, it's just a couple Mexicos below you on the map >:| The games are just a bit too expensive here, though.

R_N
22nd December 2010, 5:44 AM
No, I'm more of the Butterfly Dance Suicune type (I STILL want to believe).
It would be interesting to see more pokemon get it based on the "Dance" part.
I could see things like the Ralts line, Bellossum, Ludicolo, Spinda, Jynx, Marrakachi, so on.

BETTER YET, Gotta Dance 2 comes out and all the Pokemon in it get Butterfly Dance.
As the event Suicune sucks in both nature (lol Relaxed seriously man) and moves (Aqua Ring isn't really worth it), I just really want Raikou; Flare Blitz Entei may be cool and all but lol when you have a legendary that's outclassed by ARCANINE every single time a new game's released, you know something is wrong. It sucks for Raikou to be Ground-weak in this metagame, though, lol Doryuuzu.
Well at least it's better then Flareon

And hey guys Brazil isn't really that far, it's just a couple Mexicos below you on the map >:| The games are just a bit too expensive here, though.
That's still like thousands of miles
okay maybe hundreds but possibly thousands

Grei
22nd December 2010, 7:24 AM
Well at least it's better then Flareon

Ugh.

Flareon.

So much wasted potential.

Flare Blitz Entei doesn't even make up for it. Entei needed it but it doesn't look totally awesome like Flareon does.

R_N
22nd December 2010, 9:38 AM
Ugh.

Flareon.

So much wasted potential.

Flare Blitz Entei doesn't even make up for it. Entei needed it but it doesn't look totally awesome like Flareon does.
I find it amazing how Fire type moves were handled this generation.

After seeing Wild Bolt, I remember being convinced that we would get a 90 power physical recoil Fire move, and Flareon would weep tears of joy as it ascends to UU. And then nope!

There were 11 new fire moves this generation.
6 are exclusive. Two of which went to Reshiram, two went to Viktini, Heat Stamp for the Tepig line, Flame Dance for Urgamoth. 7 if you count that Fire Oath can only go to

So of the four other moves available, there's only Nitro Charge for physical. The other two are lol Incinerate, Flame Burst, and the 50% accurate Purgatory.

And of course Flareon can't even get Wild Bolt because of Jolteon and it has to lose Superpower (tutor) to use Guts.

LimeStar
22nd December 2010, 11:05 AM
the closest thing to Gamestop we have is EB games, and they barely host events

Between EB, Target and Toys 'R' Us, we've gotten all the events, bar Regigigas, in Australia.
I'm taking a guess that there will be at least a randomised version of the event.

Will-powered Spriter
22nd December 2010, 11:30 AM
We don't have Gamestop here in the UK either. We have GAME, but they won't have download stations or anything unless you live in London. I'm not sure how they're going to do it, if at all.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion, the last two GAME downloads have been very well distributed.

Rose Storm
22nd December 2010, 3:06 PM
Maybe it's just my local store. Anyway, I'm not giving up hope or anything. I've never actually got any event Pokemon before, but some of my friends have reported having to travel further to another GAME to get them.

tmega90
22nd December 2010, 9:32 PM
I am going to try and get all three of them. If I am not able too, I hope to get at least Entei and Raikou. I am probably going to not use them until Black and White come out so then I can use them in my White version.

Does anyone think after they show the movie they will do the Celebi event?

Painkiller2001
23rd December 2010, 10:33 PM
I have a question that I've been dying to have answered since after Bblack & White got announced:

Will these games be Pokewalker compatible??

arceus7
23rd December 2010, 10:56 PM
relaxed suicune isn't all that bad, I found many uses for it, and what teh ****! Aura sphere and extreme speed are awesome!

Lorde
23rd December 2010, 11:03 PM
I have a question that I've been dying to have answered since after Bblack & White got announced:

Of course not. Not that I have anything against the idea of the PokeWalker linking up to Black and White, it just isn't possible. These are entirely new games and the PokeWalker just isn't compatible with them.

bippacooleth
23rd December 2010, 11:06 PM

Nope.

Now for my question - what is the Music Hall like? Terrible? I never really liked contests, but I loved pokeathlon. I'm thinking its probably more like contests :(

Lorde
23rd December 2010, 11:12 PM
Now for my question - what is the Music Hall like? Terrible? I never really liked contests, but I loved pokeathlon. I'm thinking its probably more like contests :(

Compared to the Pokeathlon, Pokemon Musicals are pretty boring. All that the Pokemon really do is prance around on stage for about a minute while music plays in the background. Sometimes your Pokemon can toss some of its accessories around, but that's sort of it. I played through Musicals about 5 times and I got totally bored with them so I haven't gone back. The only thing I liked about Pokemon Musicals was the background music, but that's about it.

bippacooleth
23rd December 2010, 11:15 PM
Compared to the Pokeathlon, Pokemon Musicals are pretty boring. All that the Pokemon really do is prance around on stage for about a minute while music plays in the background. Sometimes your Pokemon can toss some of its accessories around, but that's sort of it. I played through Musicals about 5 times and I got totally bored with them so I haven't gone back. The only thing I liked about Pokemon Musicals was the background music, but that's about it.

It's a shame they removed the Pokeathlon then :/ I think they could have done a lot with that in the new games, but I'd imagine they might want to keep these side events in the games exclusive to each game. I mean, they never have really carried them on into completely different games - Contests and Super Contests were pretty similar, but other than that every region has different side quests to complete.

Ophie
27th December 2010, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately, there seems to be a vocal minority (which I'd bet exists here) who protests at all side-events like these for the simple reason of them not being Pok&#233;mon battling. Nintendo listens to its fans quite intently, and thinking of it from their POV, the only reason the directors keep replacing the side events with other stuff all the time is because they keep hearing these guys.

I personally liked the Pok&#233;thlon and felt it was a great step up from Pokemon Contests and Super Contests. It was good enough to be its own game. I'll wait until Black/White comes out in English, but I will definitely give the Musicals a spin. So far, the Pok&#233;thlon is the only one I keep coming back to after 100&#37; completion of it. Looking at the Musicals, it's not likely to be that way for me.

Aurath8
27th December 2010, 12:51 PM
To me, the side-events can only be good if they really have the player involved with the competition. Contests made you feel like a spectator and the show dragged on for a long time because your forced to watch other appeals.
Musicals have even less interaction with them, you are a spectator now.
Pokeathlon felt fast and full of action and movement, it is also a real test of your skill (whereas Contest AI ment anything could happen) and a loss was almost entirely your fault for not performing well.

Another way I determine a good side-event is by having all pokemon keep there character. You wouldn't put a Grass skirt on Scizor, or a parasol to Emboar but Musicals force you to have pokemon act all cute.

Lastly I'd like a side-event without a gratuitous amount of pink. I have nothing against pink but it's just too bland and unnecessary to have everything in 50 shades of pink, everywhere.

BCVM22
27th December 2010, 1:14 PM
Nintendo listens to its fans quite intently

No they don't. Nor should they.

the only reason the directors keep replacing the side events with other stuff all the time is because they keep hearing these guys.

Not in the slightest. They change around stuff like Contests and whatever else because they themselves feel it makes for better gameplay. Nothing more, nothing less.

Putting aside the fact that Nintendo has no hand in developing any of the core titles, Game Freak does the right thing by largely ignoring the fanbase. This is because many Pokémon fans are stupid and have no idea what makes for a good decision. This is certainly not a trait exclusive to this fanbase, but this is the fanbase we are discussing.

Rest assured that when things are added and subtracted from game to game, it's because they felt confident in the decision, and not because they felt the need to kowtow to random people on the Internet (English-language parts of the Internet, no less) who can't bear to see Pokémon competing in anything but manly battles and races and have issues with "too much pink" in their competitions.

Tepig
27th December 2010, 2:40 PM
The North American release date for pokemon black and white has been confirmed as
3/06/2010. At this link:http://www.nintendo.com/gamesites/ds/pokemon/ Luckily, that is a pretty close date!

Electivirus
27th December 2010, 3:01 PM
Well, that's earlier than usual. 8D

Oshakpop
27th December 2010, 3:43 PM
March 6,... 67 days until we get it! This also means the anime will probably start on the 5th of March :D

aggronFTW
27th December 2010, 3:48 PM
That means march 6th right? Not June 3rd? If this is the confirmed date then that's amazing how early it is! I hope europe doesn't get screwed and has to wait like 3/4 months longer, or I'm shipping in my copies from the states....

Ash-kid
27th December 2010, 3:57 PM
Pretty early, I thought it would be out later. So I can't say I'm not happy with this date.

nikohesus
27th December 2010, 4:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjbeNJcrgZA&feature=player_embedded

The trailer, seems legit.

Linkdarkside
27th December 2010, 4:04 PM
The North American release date for pokemon black and white has been confirmed as
3/06/2010. At this link:http://www.nintendo.com/gamesites/ds/pokemon/ Luckily, that is a pretty close date!great release date ,we dont have to wait much.

nikohesus
27th December 2010, 4:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjbeNJcrgZA&feature=player_embedded

The trailer, seems legit.

Sponge
27th December 2010, 4:38 PM
There are rumours that the Europe release date will be March 4th, has anyone heard that? I think it's mostly because the date is highlighted on the Black/White calender along with March 6th plus the fact that March 4th is a Friday, the day when all new games are released on over here.

It's definitely got my interest, it's probably too good to be true however. :(

LexSuicune
27th December 2010, 5:06 PM
March Sixth? Yes!!!

Dizzee
27th December 2010, 6:04 PM
On shopto.net you can pre-order the uk version and the stated release date is 25 March. So that will be the eu release I think.

Porygandrew
27th December 2010, 6:16 PM
How to make a Pokemon Press Release:

Nintendo of America today announced that the Pokémon™ [First] Version and Pokémon [Second] Version video games will launch in North America on [Release Date]. The games, playable exclusively on the Nintendo [handheld]™ family of systems, are a completely new adventure that Pokémon fans old and new can embark on. Pokémon [First] Version and Pokémon [Second] Version introduce more than [number] new Pokémon and a new region to explore.
Pokémon [First] Version and Pokémon [Second] Version feature new Pokémon that players can catch, train and battle as they progress through the game, and some Pokémon can only be caught in one version of the game. For example, the Legendary Pokémon [Mascot1]™ can only be caught in Pokémon [First] Version, while the Legendary Pokémon [Mascot2]™ can only be caught in Pokémon [Second] Version. [Insert exclusive play here: Additionally, the two games feature different areas for the first time in the series, with the game world of Pokémon Black Version featuring a unique metropolitan area called Black City, and a lush, green area named White Forest only found in Pokémon White Version. Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version also mark the first time in a Pokémon video game that the seasons will change in the game world. Certain Pokémon appear more frequently during different seasons, and players can only access some areas during a specific season.]
Pokémon [First] Version and Pokémon [Second] Version let players start with one of three new Starter Pokémon - the Grass-type [Grass]™, the Fire-type [Fire]™ or the Water-type [Water]™. Until the main story of the game is complete, every Pokémon that players encounter will have never been seen before in previous Pokémon games. The games also feature original boy and girl trainers who set out on an adventure in the new [Region] region.
“Pokémon [First] Version and Pokémon [Second] Version represent a generational leap forward for the renowned series, delivering an unprecedented number of new Pokémon to catch, battle and trade," said Marc Franklin, Nintendo of America's director of Public Relations. "Whether you have played the Pokémon video games before or are just getting interested in them, you won't want to miss Pokémon [First] Version and Pokémon [Second] Version."
Pokémon [First] Version and Pokémon [Second] Version are now available for pre-order from major retailers throughout North America for a suggested retail price of $34.99 each. A deposit may be required for pre-orders. See individual retailers for details.

Actual new information in bold.

tmega90
27th December 2010, 6:18 PM
I am so glad that the release date for the games is so close. I can't wait until March 6!

R_N
27th December 2010, 6:36 PM
Oh look it wasn't the hand written date on a poorly made flyer someone posted from a gamestop

Also there's no way in hell GameFreak listens to their fanbase because otherwise:
-We wouldn't have stealth rock
-Flareon would have Flare Blitz
-Fire type moves as a whole would be much more physically endowed
-There would be more evolutions
-While also being less evolutions
-We would have a casino
-The games would be translated concurrently regardless of how this would affect the release date and making of the game
-We would still have the VS Seeker and PokeRadar

and so on and so forth

I'm going to assume they keep changing the sidequest to keep things fresh.

Rose Storm
27th December 2010, 6:46 PM
Check the new names on the homepage, guys. I absolutely love Blitzle for Shimama. Castelia City for Hiun City is pretty nice, too.

Kreis
27th December 2010, 6:51 PM
Beaten, but yeah, the official website updated:

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/pidove-detail.png
Pidove

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/sandile-detail.png
Sandile

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/blitzle-detail.png
Blitzle

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/minccino-detail.png
Minccino

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/klink-detail.png
Klink

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/darmanitan-detail.png
Darmanitan

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/gigalith-detail.png
Gigalith

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/munna-detail.png
Munna keeps it's name

Huin City= Castelia City
The new professor= Professor Juniper

Overconfident = Moxie
Sweep Slap = Tail Slap
Pigeon Breast = Big Pecks
Wild Bolt = Wild Charge
Brute Force/Encourage = Sheer Force

Ash-kid
27th December 2010, 6:54 PM
The names so far are not bad.

Munna and Gigalith has almost the same name, so it's good. Sandile and Pidove - fine, could've been better. I think Juniper should've been Jennifer, more familiar, but that's fine too.

Rose Storm
27th December 2010, 6:58 PM
Seems like they're revealing them in the same order that Japan did. If that's the case, Gochiruzeru and Rankurusu are next.

Krake
27th December 2010, 6:58 PM
March 6th is a good date. It's a week before my birthday, so I can buy one game and then ask for the other one. Perfect!

I also like the revealed English names, even though they don't factor into my opinion of the actual Pokemon.

aggronFTW
27th December 2010, 7:00 PM
Klinks a little wierd, but at least it's better than gear like everyone thought.... Liking sandile, pidove and blitzle though, munna keeps it's Japanese name? So musharna probably will stay the same too then?

R_N
27th December 2010, 7:04 PM
Seems we're getting Pokemon names roughly in time with how they were in Japan. Except we got Gigia...Gigilath early.
Mincinno: Well huh. I really didn't expect them to change it from Chillarmy. However, I think we can probably make a safe leap in logic and say that Chillacinno will stay the same

Gigalith: Looks like they went with monolith. I think it flows better off the tongue.

Sandile: I like it, gets points across. I expected a glasses pun, though

Blitzle: Fun to say. BLITZLE.

Pidove: More directly going for the dove side of the Pokemon, with a bit of Pigeon. I would have liked a bit more equal representation of Pigeon, but I guess if they made it Pidgove it would be too similar to Pidgey

Klink: YES. NoA strikes again in the best way possible. I'm guessing that Gigigear and Gigear will be something like Klank or Kaklink.

Darmanitan: Changed from a baboon to an orangutan. Fits much, much better, wouldn't you say? Looks like they're going with "Darma" as a translation, too (There's like 3 ways one could spell it and still be right).

And abilities, too!
Sheer Force works really well. Gets the point across a lot better than Encourage.
Moxie is basically overconfidance (OH LOOK NOT EARTHQUAKE SPIRAL BECAUSE THAT IS DUMB), but more stylish. Love~

Pigeon Heart is........BIG PECKS.
OH MY GOD
THIS IS THE BEST NAME
SABONEA_MASUKIPPA IS THIS IS YOUR DOING

Electric
27th December 2010, 7:08 PM
Klink? Ahahahaha very funny Nintendo.
Klinkle?
Kunkelklink?

Hihidaruma was an awesome name! *cries*

Tepig = facepalm

Everything else is pretty cool. Pansear and Pansage are my favorites.

Other countries that change names... Spain doesn't change names of Pokemon, so why should Germany?

Grei
27th December 2010, 7:08 PM
Beaten, but yeah, the official website updated:

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/pidove-detail.png
Pidove

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/sandile-detail.png
Sandile

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/blitzle-detail.png
Blitzle

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/minccino-detail.png
Minccino

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/klink-detail.png
Klink

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/darmanitan-detail.png
Darmanitan

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/gigalith-detail.png
Gigalith

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/_ui/img/characters/munna-detail.png
Munna keeps it's name

Huin City= Castelia City
The new professor= Professor Juniper

Overconfident = Moxie
Sweep Slap = Tail Slap
Pigeon Breast = Big Pecks
Wild Bolt = Wild Charge
Brute Force/Encourage = Sheer Force

... what the hell is a Moxie? (Is it similar to Mosey?) Also, I'm not sure I like the pun on "Big Pecks." Otherwise I'm fine with the Attack/Ability name changes.

I like all of the names, though... especially Minccino, Pidove, and Klink. I never expected Darmanitan, though (not that it's bad).

Lesse...

Pidove: Pigeon + Dove
Darmanitan: Daruma + Manic + Orangutan
Minccino: No idea. Probably close to what its evolution is named after, with either Mini or Mint (as in "mint condition") in front. Minccino sounds like a delicious coffee drink.
Gigalith: Giga + Monolith
Munna: Duh
Blitzle: Blitz + ???
Klink: Also duh
Sandile: Sand + Crocodile

Also, I'm sad Araragi isn't Prof. Yew but Juniper works as well, I suppose. Castelia City has a really nice ring to it.

Snivy's Pokedex Entry:
"It is very intelligent and calm. Being exposed to lots of sunlight makes its movements swifter."

jackcruzee
27th December 2010, 7:09 PM
The last episode of Pokemon aired Sunday. Although the episode does not allow news of the current debate on whether the analysis of fans that have circulated recently are real or not, the new images of the next Pokémon black and white, teased the audience. Junichi Masuda, director of Pokémon in black and white, appeared on the program. Confirmed the information already known. Playthrough games provided new information as wel

Will-powered Spriter
27th December 2010, 7:12 PM
I'm really happy with Darmanitan. And Klink, and Blitzle (It's all of Santa's Reindeer in one!)

But Big Pecks. That pun caused my brain to hurt.

(icidentally, how does one pronounce Minccino?)

Oh, and Wild Bolt now called Wild Charge. Pretty much the same thing.

Kreis
27th December 2010, 7:17 PM
... what the hell is a Moxie? (Is it similar to Mosey?) Also, I'm not sure I like the pun on "Big Pecks." Otherwise I'm fine with the Attack/Ability name changes.

I like all of the names, though... especially Minccino, Pidove, and Klink. I never expected Darmanitan, though (not that it's bad). Lesse... Daruma + Manic + Orangutan?

Moxie means someone with determination, nerve, etc.

I'm really happy with Darmanitan. And Klink, and Blitzle (It's all of Santa's Reindeer in one!)

Minccino is pronounced like the drink "cappuccino." (Think "ch" like in church).

Rose Storm
27th December 2010, 7:18 PM
I'd imagine Min-chee-no.

Grei

Oh, and Wild Bolt now called Wild Charge. Pretty much the same thing.

I would assume it's "min-chee-no," with one of those syllables stressed (not sure which one).

EDIT: Ninja'd. :P

Also, Moxie's fine then. I have just... never heard that word before. Ever. O.o

Also, I'm too lazy to check each Pokemon right now, so I'll just list their classifications and let everyone else figure out if they've changed.
Minccino: Chincilla Pokemon
Gigalith: Compressed Pokemon
Darmanitan: Blazing Pokemon
Munna: Dream Eater Pokemon
Sandile: Desert Croc Pokemon
Pidove: Tiny Pigeon Pokemon
Blitzle: Electrified Pokemon
Klink: Gear Pokemon

... so, I don't think any changed. My memory is fuzzy on Darmanitan and Blitzle but the others look familiar.

Blueysicle
... what the hell is a Moxie? (Is it similar to Mosey?)

n. Slang
1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.
2. Aggressive energy; initiative: "His prose has moxie, though it rushes and stumbles from a pent-up surge" (Patricia Hampl).
3. Skill; know-how.And if you live in Maine, it's also a brand of soda. :P

I was hoping for Darumape for Darmanitan, but I'm glad that they kept the Daruma Doll reference anyways. I'm a little surprised that they changed Chillarmy, but it's no big deal. Overall, I'm happy with the names.

R_N
27th December 2010, 7:20 PM
... what the hell is a Moxie?
You never heard of having moxie?
It's basically having a lot of guts, determination, aggressive, having know-how

Lesse... Daruma + Manic + Orangutan?
Probably DARMa mixed with a corruption of Orangutan. Some people pronounce it with an i instead of an u, so it would probably sound similar

Presumably Min sino (like casino)

Oh, and Wild Bolt now called Wild Charge. Pretty much the same thing.Meanwhile, Tail Sweep is now Tail Slap. Basically the same.

Will-powered Spriter
27th December 2010, 7:25 PM
[SIZE="1"]Minccino is pronounced like the drink "cappuccino." (Think "ch" like in church).

Thought so. Thanks for clearing that up.

ShinyVaati
27th December 2010, 7:26 PM
I'm loving these names, that's all I can say.

Pidove: This one sounds a little weird in my head, but its easier to remember than Mamepato
Sandile: Simple and too the point
Gigalith, Damanitian: Keeping the same idea as their Japanese names kind of, I like them.
Munna: Happy its name was kept, I assume Musharna will follow suit.
Minccino: Genuinely surprised its name was changed, I figured Chillarmy would of stayed since it seemed so "English-Friendly" so to speak.
Klink, Blitzle: I love these, I love them, that is all.

I also like the name Juniper, better than what I was expecting. And Castelia City is an awesome name.

Man, March 6th can't come fast enough!

R_N
27th December 2010, 7:30 PM
oh, right, ch not see

Always get those mixed up, which is weird since I've been pronouncing Chillaccinno as chilla chinno

Mucrush
27th December 2010, 7:30 PM

Munna and Gigalith has almost the same name, so it's good. Sandile and Pidove - fine, could've been better. I think Juniper should've been Jennifer, more familiar, but that's fine too.

You do know that every (if not almost) all the Prof. names are based on trees/plants, right? This one is based on the Juniper plant... [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper"]

Exodd
27th December 2010, 7:42 PM
Why is Shimama called Blitzle? I get the "blitz" part, but what is the other part of the name from?

SmartD
27th December 2010, 7:44 PM
I like the new english names for the Pokemon, professor, and Huin City. I can't wait for March 6th, it's gonna be a big day.

Mucrush
27th December 2010, 7:45 PM

You do know that every (if not almost) all the Prof. names are based on trees/plants, right? This one is based on the Juniper plant... [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper"]

Mario with Lasers
27th December 2010, 7:52 PM
I've found almost all of the newly-announced names to be bad, but BIG PECKS more than made up for all of them lol

Sponge
27th December 2010, 8:00 PM
I was really confused with the ability Moxie...but I found that Moxie means sass, courage, spunk, determination, attitude.

I think I recall the word being used before...vaguely.

I kept saying I wanted Munna & Musharna's names to stay the same and I'm so happy we're halfway there now. I always felt Munna was perfect for the english version too. Good decision by them! :)

The names will take some getting used to, some more than others. Do you pronounce Minccino like Mink-cino or Min-cheno (as in cappuccino)? I like the name Klink though. Darmanitan is a mouthful. Would have liked Darmape or Dharmape but I'll get used to it.

I really like the professors name too. I'm itching to find out the name of the friends/rivals. Since we can't rename them I'm hoping they're cool. Better yet I hope they stay as Cheren and Bel/Bell. I also want to find out the names for Rankurusu and Desukan....I hope they're really cool because they're definites for my team.

Rentaline99
27th December 2010, 8:04 PM
The last episode of Pokemon aired Sunday. Although the episode does not allow news of the current debate on whether the analysis of fans that have circulated recently are real or not, the new images of the next Pokémon black and white, teased the audience. Junichi Masuda, director of Pokémon in black and white, appeared on the program. Confirmed the information already known. Playthrough games provided new information as wel

huh? What?

Dr. Leggs
27th December 2010, 8:06 PM
asdfghjkl Definitely loving these new names. As I've said before I'm very happy with the English names this time around.

Pidove - Simple, rolls off the tongue nicely.

Minccino - I suppose Chillarmy was translated because it can be read as "Chill Army" or something like that, which could be a little awkward. Nice 'cute' name anyhow, and it definitely does sound like a delicious drink.

Gigalith - I was hoping 'Giga' would stay part of the name, so I'm really digging this one.

Munna - Kind of expected that, and I really like Musharna so hopefully that'll stay as well.

Darmanitan - I'm so so happy they kept the Daruma part of its name, even if they shortened it to 'Darma'. I can't help but notice the 'Armani' in the name though... Can't unsee that. XD

Sandile - Again, simple and gets the point across. A+

Blitzle - Fun name to say, but I'm hoping Zebraika stays at least partially the same.

Klink - Simple mechanical-sounding name, I think it fits.

Sheer Force - Brute Force was another translation of Encourage (which I never really thought made sense), so it's all good.

Moxie - Hurrah for NoA using old slang. I love the word Moxie, so I'm down with it.

Big Pecks - I actually laughed out loud when I read it. Glad they're not above using silly puns. :p

Juniper/Castelia/Move names/etc. - I don't particularly care about the professors' names and I never really vye for a specific one so all these are cool with me.

Do you pronounce Minccino like Mink-cino or Min-cheno (as in cappuccino)?

I'm assuming it's min-chee-no, like cappuccino.

bippacooleth
27th December 2010, 8:10 PM
eeeeeee March 6th that's a goooood day - I was still genuinely slightly terrified of something like September after all these years xD

And new names, they're cropping up a lot atm aren't they?
Minccino - it's alright, I wouldn't mind a full explanation of that name though (all I've got its a slight resemblance to 'mink', mink scarves etc)
Pidove - mehhhhhh, I would have liked it but its honestly annoying for me that it starts the same as Pidgey. I wouldn't normally care but they both fill the same role, so its kind of same-y. Hopefully its evo go a different way
Gigalith - Great name. I look forward to saying it.
Sandile - I feel like something more creative could have been utilised, but not a bad name in itself. It sounds a lot weaker than megorucko (spelling faiiill doesn't matter anymore ^^)
Blitzle - Very good, I feel like its evo will officially be my new favourite pokemon if the name is similar
Klink - LOVELOVELOVE. It is actually amazing. I will lol for decades and consider using Gigigear in my team if its name is Klinklank or something
Darmanitan - Pretty good, sounds powerful. I pronounce orangutan with an 'i' so the pun works for me
Munna - not much to say.... I'm not a massive fan but I like Musharna a lot, so hopefully that stays too.

Never heard of Moxie until today, so I'm not too pleased with that. Overconfidence was goooood NoA :(
Castelia City is a great name, I hadn't actually thought about the city names changing.

And finally -Big Pecks?!?! SRSLY? It sounds so wrong and yet it isn't... and yet it is. Pigeon Heart was fine!

Sponge
27th December 2010, 8:13 PM
People have noticed Pidove is Pigeon + Dove....

but you could say it has Love in there too.... especially since it has heart shaped markings on it's breast.

Also...is Shimama an electric Reindeer now? :S

Kreis
27th December 2010, 8:14 PM
Hmm, I have a question of my own regarding Huinn City's english name. Would it be pronounced "kuh-sea-lee-uh" (Casselia) or "Cas-steel-ee-uh" (Castelia)?

If they're going for the "castle" then I guess "Casselia City" would be the correct way to pronounce it. What are your insights regarding this?

Chimchar15
27th December 2010, 8:16 PM
Oh I'll ask what's the pun on Big Pecks?

Araleon
27th December 2010, 8:18 PM
(Dr. Legs, I'm lazy and borrowed your format. Thanks!)

Pidove - Nice name. Still don't like what the made it evolve into though.

Minccino - Minccino? Makes me want, like, a mint cappuccino from Starbucks or Caribou Coffee.

Gigalith - Isn't this a direct translation?

Munna - Makes sense. I hoenstly dunno what it could've been if not staying the same.

Darmanitan - Darmanitan. Huh. That's a mouthful.

Sandile - Great.

Blitzle - Better then Zebrap like everyone wanted. I too want Zeburaika to stay the same.

Klink - I wanted Gear to stay Gear...

Sheer Force - Makes sense.

Moxie - Moxie is the best ability name now. Moxie is how you know Unova is New York.

Big Pecks - Hahaha, win.

Juniper - Better than Yew! I actually really like Juniper.

Castelia - This sounds familiar... I think a similar name was in The Count of Monte Cristo?

Dr. Leggs
27th December 2010, 8:23 PM
Oh I'll ask what's the pun on Big Pecks?

It's a pun on 'Big Pecs', whereas the Japanese name was 'Pigeon Breast', breast = pecs, Pecks = birds, you get the idea. Too bad it's basically useless. ;-;

Chimchar15
27th December 2010, 8:27 PM
It's a pun on 'Big Pecs', whereas the Japanese name was 'Pigeon Breast', breast = pecs, Pecks = birds, you get the idea. Too bad it's basically useless. ;-;

Oh I get it now lol.

Perapmanta_017
27th December 2010, 8:29 PM
I'm loving all these new English names and the release date sounds perfect !! Hopefully we'll get more new English names between now and March 6th !

Dr. Leggs
27th December 2010, 8:35 PM
And yes, March 6th! Very early release date for Pokemon games... That's delightful. Now I'm wondering when the 3DS is gonna be released...

bippacooleth
27th December 2010, 8:40 PM
Hmm, I have a question of my own regarding Huinn City's english name. Would it be pronounced "kuh-sea-lee-uh" (Casselia) or "Cas-steel-ee-uh" (Castelia)?

If they're going for the "castle" then I guess "Casselia City" would be the correct way to pronounce it. What are your insights regarding this?

I would pronounce it Cast-el-ee-a

Stelia reminds me of stella, which brings to my mind ideas of the future and high tech...things.

Adrexus
27th December 2010, 8:50 PM
Well, I'm glad the release date is March instead of April. I think when DP was released it was on earth day in 2007. And I must say the names are pretty good. Darmanitan and Klink really fit these two pokemon pretty well. Oh, and I think the (unless I'm wrong) that the 3DS will be released this coming February.

Chimchar15
27th December 2010, 8:53 PM
Well, I'm glad the release date is March instead of April. I think when DP was released it was on earth day in 2007. And I must say the names are pretty good. Darmanitan and Klink really fit these two pokemon pretty well. Oh, and I think the (unless I'm wrong) that the 3DS will be released this coming February.

Actually it is coming out in February...in Japan. In America it's coming out in March.

Grei
27th December 2010, 9:08 PM
I would pronounce it Cast-el-ee-a

Stelia reminds me of stella, which brings to my mind ideas of the future and high tech...things.

^ Or alcohol, for others.

I would pronounce it similarly. "Cas-STEL-ee-ah."

Missingno. Master
27th December 2010, 9:10 PM
Pidove; It's alright.

Minccino; I was expecting it to keep Chillarmy. Didn't see this coming. It's not a bad name, though.

Gigalith; Nice, makes sense, and is extremely close to the Japanese name.

Munna; Didn't expect it to keep the Japanese name, although I wasn't sure what it would've been called otherwise.

Darmanitan; I was thinking Yetignite or something. This one's a mouthful, but I guess it's alright.

Sandile; Excellent! Sandile was my prediction for its name from the beginning.

Blitzle - I was hoping for Zeebolt, but Blitzle works. I'm hoping they name the evolution Zeebreak, however.

Klink; Slight disappointment here, I was hoping for Cogdos. It's not a bad name, I'm just unhappy that my prediction was wrong.

Sheer Force; All right.

Moxie; Obviously they weren't gonna keep Earthquake Spiral, way too long. My prediction was "Sore Winner", but Moxie works.

Big Pecks; Epic win right here.

Juniper; Didn't see that one coming. Not bad at all.

Castelia; I like it.

Wild Charge and Tail Slap; The Japanese names were OK, didn't see why they had to be changed. But these work alright.

Crystal_Power
27th December 2010, 9:22 PM
"Cas-steel-ee-uh" (Castelia)?

Hmmm, I think this is the correct way to pronounce it.

Beeblebrox
27th December 2010, 9:30 PM
Minccino interests me- they appear to be punning using the word Mink... despite it being the Chinchilla Pokemon. Hmm.

Pidove- Pigeon/Love. Fairly standard regional bird name; nothing too fancy, but gets the job done.

Minccino- Mink/???. No idea where -ccino comes from, in this or Chillaccino. However, it seems fitting enough, and I'd sort of glad that Chillarmy wasn't used- army has nothing to do with anything.

Blitzle- Blitz/???. SO glad they didn't use the uber-obvious Zapra. Again, not entirely sure where the latter part comes from, but that's what I'm liking about the English names thus far; the likes of Minccino or Oshawott seem to be going for a more obscure pun to create a sense of feeling for the Pokemon as opposed to an incredibly obvious pun. It reminds me a bit of the second generation.

Sandile- Sand/Crocodile. Eh, fairly obvious, but gets the point across.

Gigalith- Giga/Monolith. LOVE IT. Totally apt, and a suitable adaptation of the Japanese.

Klink- Gotta love a bit of onomatopoeia in a Pokemon name. Far superior to Gear, and helpful for the entire evolutional family; Klink=>Klank=>Klunk anyone?

Darmanitan- Darma/ Orangutan. Excellent touch in keeping Daruma in there; I doubt there's more than a handful of Western kids that know what a Daruma/ Darma doll is, and there are countless times where a Pokemon's Japanese inspiration has been entirely ignored by the localisation team, so keeping it in was very nice.

Munna- Munna. No real surprise there. EDIT: Just found out that its German name is Somniam. Damn, that's much better. :(

Castelia City- Puts across Hiun's grandiosity and scale across quite nicely.

Professor Juniper- Somewhat more feminine than Yew, and more elegant.

Abilities- Sheer Force is fairly predictable, Moxie is quite sweet, but Big Pecks is THE BEST THING EVER. GIVE THE MAN BEHIND THAT A RAISE.

Overall, I'm really liking this generation's localisations so far. Snivy aside, there have been no obvious choices, and some of the puns are quite witty. Here's hoping for more of the same.

nikohesus
27th December 2010, 9:32 PM
Big Pecks.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Man, I love these new names. Not a single complaint, and they even fixed Gear- I mean, Klink! And correct casing is finally here!!!!

I CAME.

Aurath8
27th December 2010, 9:38 PM
Great names I must say, but by far the best is Big Pecks. I was literally rofling once I got the pun.

I also think I've deciphered Blitzle's name.
Blitzle = Blitz + Sparkle
Blitz is probably a reference to the pokemon's speed or the move Wild Charge.
Sparkle references the appearance of electricity.

Klink is also good. It is a very simple name that compliments the pokemon's siple design. I see the names becoming more complicated with evolution.

Missingno. Master
27th December 2010, 9:50 PM
If it is indeed the case that the Pokemon names are no longer in all caps, then I have to wonder, what will they do about Pokeshifted Pokemon? If they're not nicknamed, will the names change accordingly? That would be the most logical course of action.

Lorde
27th December 2010, 10:37 PM
If it is indeed the case that the Pokemon names are no longer in all caps, then I have to wonder, what will they do about Pokeshifted Pokemon? If they're not nicknamed, will the names change accordingly? That would be the most logical course of action.

I think that technology has advanced enough to the point where names in all capital letters can be changed to lower case whenever the need arises. If for some reason, the Pokemon that are PokeShifted do not get their names changed automatically, we can always just do it ourselves in the older games by going to the Name Rater's house. It wouldn't work on Pokemon with different OTs/IDs than ours, but it would work with Pokemon we've captured ourselves. That's better than nothing.

Shneak
27th December 2010, 11:13 PM
So glad it's coming March 6th. Much earlier that I thought.

Missingno. Master
27th December 2010, 11:24 PM
I think that technology has advanced enough to the point where names in all capital letters can be changed to lower case whenever the need arises. If for some reason, the Pokemon that are PokeShifted do not get their names changed automatically, we can always just do it ourselves in the older games by going to the Name Rater's house. It wouldn't work on Pokemon with different OTs/IDs than ours, but it would work with Pokemon we've captured ourselves. That's better than nothing.

True, but still, I've long since restarted some of the games on which I first obtained a lot of my Pokemon, mainly a good amount of my shinies. And my Wynaut.

Sponge
27th December 2010, 11:29 PM
I pronounce Castelia as Ca-stel-ee-a

I don't see where you're getting the steel from....

SharpedoSteve
27th December 2010, 11:29 PM
March 6th in the US eh? hopefully the UK gets it's on the 4th when it's a Friday and games normally come out on Fridays over here... plus it would be my birthday and that would make it an awesome birthday indeed XD

Will do the name opinion thing later on...

Grei
27th December 2010, 11:31 PM
Pidove- Pigeon/Love. Fairly standard regional bird name; nothing too fancy, but gets the job done. Or, it's Pigeon + Dove, since they're the same animal.

Minccino- Mink/???. No idea where -ccino comes from, in this or Chillaccino. However, it seems fitting enough, and I'd sort of glad that Chillarmy wasn't used- army has nothing to do with anything. How about "mini" instead of "mink," which makes a lot more sense?

Blitzle- Blitz/???. SO glad they didn't use the uber-obvious Zapra. Again, not entirely sure where the latter part comes from, but that's what I'm liking about the English names thus far; the likes of Minccino or Oshawott seem to be going for a more obscure pun to create a sense of feeling for the Pokemon as opposed to an incredibly obvious pun. It reminds me a bit of the second generation.

Sandile- Sand/Crocodile. Eh, fairly obvious, but gets the point across.

Gigalith- Giga/Monolith. LOVE IT. Totally apt, and a suitable adaptation of the Japanese.

Klink- Gotta love a bit of onomatopoeia in a Pokemon name. Far superior to Gear, and helpful for the entire evolutional family; Klink=>Klank=>Klunk anyone? I'd love that.

Darmanitan- Darma/ Orangutan. Excellent touch in keeping Daruma in there; I doubt there's more than a handful of Western kids that know what a Daruma/ Darma doll is, and there are countless times where a Pokemon's Japanese inspiration has been entirely ignored by the localisation team, so keeping it in was very nice. I agree. I was worried that they wouldn't keep in the Daruma reference.

Munna- Munna. No real surprise there. EDIT: Just found out that its German name is Somniam. Damn, that's much better. :( They usually are.

Castelia City- Puts across Hiun's grandiosity and scale across quite nicely.

Professor Juniper- Somewhat more feminine than Yew, and more elegant.

Abilities- Sheer Force is fairly predictable, Moxie is quite sweet, but Big Pecks is THE BEST THING EVER. GIVE THE MAN BEHIND THAT A RAISE.

Overall, I'm really liking this generation's localisations so far. Snivy aside, there have been no obvious choices, and some of the puns are quite witty. Here's hoping for more of the same.

Comments in bold.

Missingno. Master
27th December 2010, 11:42 PM
March 6th in the US eh?
Ah, yes, that reminds me...

YES! YES! YES! YEEEEEAAAAAAH! THIS IS EVEN EARLIER THAN HEARTGOLD AND SOULSILVER! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That stupid April date that GameStop gave out had me worried for a while. But this is sweet! I had thought that mid-March was the best I could hope for, but March 6th?! SWEET!

tmega90
27th December 2010, 11:49 PM
I am glad that it is coming out March 6th too! I thought it was going to be late March or early April. I am so glad that we will get to play the games so soon. Not much time to wait for them now!

Lorde
28th December 2010, 12:02 AM
Huh, I hadn't even noticed that the English release date for these games had been announced. March 6th, 2011 sounds really great! I wasn't expecting these games to be released until about April but it looks like we'll be getting them a lot sooner. It's sort of funny that several sites said that the English Black and White would be released in Spring 2011, yet March 6th, 2011 is still during the Winter season. I know I'm being a little nit-picky there, but I find that slightly amusing.

JohnLee
28th December 2010, 12:07 AM
Huh, I hadn't even noticed that the English release date for these games had been announced. March 6th, 2011 sounds really great! I wasn't expecting these games to be released until about April but it looks like we'll be getting them a lot sooner. It's sort of funny that several sites said that the English Black and White would be released in Spring 2011, yet March 6th, 2011 is still during the Winter season. I know I'm being a little nit-picky there, but I find that slightly amusing.

It is a little amusing, but technically HG and SS weren't released in the Spring either. In my opinion, it's more like Springtime 2011.

Grei
28th December 2010, 12:08 AM

And since it's being released in March, that means the games will be in Autumn for anyone who gets them around the release date! I'm excited--Autumn is my favorite season, and I was worried we would have just missed Autumn by the game's release.

Rose Storm
28th December 2010, 12:10 AM
I've heard in several places that Spring can be anything from January to June, so who knows.

European release on March 4th would probably complete my life right now. It was humorous enough when we got MK: Wii before the US!

Adrexus
28th December 2010, 12:12 AM
I'm starting a daily countdown in my signature, the release for the USA is 69 days as of today. Who'll join? Also if you didn't already know, i've found out you can pre-order them on gamestop for an in in store pick up price of around 35 dollars.

I'm also just glad the day wasn't earth day again like it was for DP. plus my B-day being 4/8 means I can ask my relatives for Black version by then too.

EDIT: Sorry, it's actually about 38 dollars with tax.

BCVM22
28th December 2010, 12:20 AM
I'm starting a daily countdown in my signature, the release for the USA is 69 days as of today.

You do know this is only going to make it go slower, right?

I've heard in several places that Spring can be anything from January to June, so who knows.

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/seasons.shtml

Every month is one of the four seasons, running in a spring > summer > autumn > winter cycle that begins in January and repeats beginning in May, running three times in a full calendar year. Everyone who starts up their game in March will find it to be autumn.

LimeStar
28th December 2010, 12:23 AM
Pidove - Pidgeon + Dove/Love, I like this, fits the theme.

Minccino - Like it (: Nothing particularly special. Perhaps the name comes from Mini, or mink, as people have said.

Gigalith - Almost the same, which is nice, but it adds in the Monolith part to the name, which is nice too.

Munna - It works in English, as it sounds like it has Moon in it.

Darmanitan - Liking it, I'm glad they kept Daruma doll in the name.

Sandile - Enjoying the cleverness of this one. While it looks like it's just sand + crocodile, when you say it aloud, you an hear the 'eye' reference has been kept (:

Blitzle - Liking it. Better than any fan name I've heard, except maybe Arbezap.

Klink - Better than Geer, like some people were suggesting. If he evolves into Klank and then Klunk, I will laugh.

Sheer Force - Decent, but nothing speial.

Moxie - LOVING IT, haha. He's got balls xD

Big Pecks - AMAZING :DDDDDDDDDDD

Juniper - Pretty awesome name, I'm liking it.

Castelia - Nice. I don't really get it, but it's pretty cool (:

Adrexus
28th December 2010, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=BCVM22;11834510]You do know this is only going to make it go slower, right?

Oh yeah, I know that. its just that countdowns can be fun sometimes. And I'm probably not going to be spending most of my day thinking about release dates anyways. Time will still fly by.

LexSuicune
28th December 2010, 12:33 AM
What was wrong with Wild Bolt?...

Wild Charge sounds lame.

R_N
28th December 2010, 12:49 AM
Bolt might have made it sound like a special move, like Thunderbolt

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th December 2010, 1:11 AM
I can't believe people like Klink. I was sure you'd all hate it. This recent swing toward loving/liking English names straight away is very disconcerting.

Sponge
28th December 2010, 1:13 AM
It's sort of funny that several sites said that the English Black and White would be released in Spring 2011, yet March 6th, 2011 is still during the Winter season. I know I'm being a little nit-picky there, but I find that slightly amusing.

March isn't a winter month....at least not where I'm from.

Depending on where you live, the months can fall under different seasons.

Where I live it's:

Spring: February, March, April
Summer: May, June, July
Autumn: August, September, October
Winter: November, December, January

So it's perfectly reasonable that they said it was being released in Spring, and as they know far as they know, It is being released in Spring.

Adrexus
28th December 2010, 1:25 AM
Well, March does transition into spring anyways, so saying that the games are released in spring doesn't sound too far off. Its not like many people refer to the first couple weeks of June as spring. (Although thats what it is climate wise) Mainly because everybody's out or getting out of school is why it makes sense to just call it summer.

Rose Storm
28th December 2010, 2:13 AM
I get out of school in late July yet June is still very much Summer. :P

Anyway, it's not worth nitpicking over the release dates. I just hope more information comes quickly on the English names, because they're doing a very good job so far!

Dr. Leggs
28th December 2010, 3:31 AM
March isn't a winter month....at least not where I'm from.

Depending on where you live, the months can fall under different seasons.

Where I live it's:

Spring: February, March, April
Summer: May, June, July
Autumn: August, September, October
Winter: November, December, January

So it's perfectly reasonable that they said it was being released in Spring, and as they know far as they know, It is being released in Spring.

Technically, by the western calendar, it'll still be winter when the games are released as spring doesn't "officially" begin until the equinox (March 21-22). But March is generally considered a spring month, so oh well.

Ditto123
28th December 2010, 3:52 AM
the starter names just suck

BCVM22
28th December 2010, 4:40 AM

Only if you've decided to convince yourself of that. They don't actually suck.

centipede2000
28th December 2010, 4:48 AM
I am glad that the pokemon names aren't all capitalized! (finally)
I remember getting exited back when diamond and pearl were about to come out and we were shown a screenshot of a battle (lucario vs buizel iirc) in which the pokemon names were properly capitalized... seems like those were nicknames because the names were all capitalized in the actual game -_-'

...But it's different this time around, since there are pokedex shots on the official site and only the first letter of the names is capitalized!

Gokuzaru
28th December 2010, 4:49 AM
Only if you've decided to convince yourself of that. They don't actually suck.

agreed. they arent that bad. snivy is probably the best. oshawott seems a bit, um, far out, but still not bad. and tepig is reasonable. 'suck' is probably a little too far on the spectrum.

nikohesus
28th December 2010, 5:05 AM

That was a very thoughtful, interesting, detailed, proper, intricate, and grammatically correct post. Well done.

Endless
28th December 2010, 6:00 PM
I am glad that the pokemon names aren't all capitalized! (finally)
I remember getting exited back when diamond and pearl were about to come out and we were shown a screenshot of a battle (lucario vs buizel iirc) in which the pokemon names were properly capitalized... seems like those were nicknames because the names were all capitalized in the actual game -_-'

...But it's different this time around, since there are pokedex shots on the official site and only the first letter of the names is capitalized!
I am still not sure if I really like this, it all comes down to how the pokeswifted pokemon will be handled. If they give pokemon without the nickname flag "non-capitalized" names it is good., if they do not, it will look a little strange. I do not really care that much about what they do with nicknamed pokémon.

However about Munna.
I just heard that it is avtually pronunced "Moona" as in moon and not "Munna" as in mutter. Why do they not change the english name spelling to Moona or something like that. So it follows the English writing rules and not the Japanese?

nikohesus
28th December 2010, 6:11 PM
Isn't it obvious it is pronounced Munna? Double letters usually indicate emphasis on the first one, and it would be awkward if it were pronounced Munna as in mutter.
That's just me saying that, though, my name is Munawar.

darkgamerGS
28th December 2010, 8:35 PM
If for some reason, the Pokemon that are PokeShifted do not get their names changed automatically, we can always just do it ourselves in the older games by going to the Name Rater's house. It wouldn't work on Pokemon with different OTs/IDs than ours, but it would work with Pokemon we've captured ourselves. That's better than nothing.

Are PokeShifted Pokemon considered caught by your 5th gen game? It won't work if it's still considered caught by a 4th gen game... *Doesn't know how PokeShifter works since I haven't played the Japanese versions, just going off what I read*

Not commenting on every name, so...

I laughed at Big Pecks... then thunk ahead and realized how many awkward pics of Pidoves and other Big Pecks Pokemon will probably come out cause of the new name.

BLITZLE! I'm naming mine Blitzen unless the evo's name sounds different.

Sandile's clearly a play on sundial... okay, sand crocodile. And sandal.

Juniper? Awkard sounding name to me, but since she's still named after a tree, I'll adjust.

Zhanton
29th December 2010, 11:56 AM
Double letters usually indicate emphasis on the first one, and it would be awkward if it were pronounced Munna as in mutter.
Not quite sure what you're trying to say there, as you did contradict yourself. And no, it's not really that obvious, tbh.

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 6:03 PM
^....right.

And I thought it was pretty obvious, then again my name is Munawar so I can't really speak the same for others.

It's correctly pronounced Moona though.

Dr. Leggs
29th December 2010, 7:02 PM
However about Munna.
I just heard that it is avtually pronunced "Moona" as in moon and not "Munna" as in mutter. Why do they not change the english name spelling to Moona or something like that. So it follows the English writing rules and not the Japanese?

Here's my recommendation; when you're reading Japanese Pokemon names, familiarize yourself with Japanese spelling rules because, obviously, they are Japanese, not English. Japanese transliteration spelling rules aren't terribly difficult; 'Munna' is pronounced 'Moon-na' and not 'Muh-nuh', because (correct me if I'm wrong, Sabonea_Masukippa and others) the Japanese don't expressly have a sound for 'uh'. Other examples; one of my friends pronounced 'Mikaruge' (Spiritomb's JP name) as 'Mi-ka-rouge' instead of 'Mi-ka-roo-geh' as it is correctly pronounced.

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 7:50 PM
You guys know something?

You're not all gonna' hate the English names forever, because I don't really see anyone using the Japanese names for 3rd and 4th generation Pokemon.

Just saying.

darkgamerGS
29th December 2010, 7:54 PM
I love to singa/About the Munna and the June-a and the springa/I love to singa/About a sky of blue-a/Or a tea for two-a/Anything-a with a swing-a/To an I love you-a/I love to/I love to siiiiing

...that song suddenly makes more sense. Thank you for the Japanese lesson. *Has been pronouncing it like money + uh instead of moon + uh*

Grei
29th December 2010, 8:33 PM
You guys know something?

You're not all gonna' hate the English names forever, because I don't really see anyone using the Japanese names for 3rd and 4th generation Pokemon.

Just saying.

There are those stubborn few who still call them by their Japanese names, much to the confusion of many of us here. But yes, I agree. Even I, who heard the German names for Mijumaru and Pokabu and immediately chose to use those names instead of Oshawott and Tepig, am beginning to warm to the English names. I don't think I'll ever enjoy them quite as much as Snivy, Minccino, Darmanitan or Klink, but... it hardly makes a difference when it comes to having people understand you, and plus, more often than not I'll be using their evolutions' names anyway.

Also, I can totally anticipate Munna's name being pronounced the "American" way--"Muhn-na"--as opposed to the way the Japanese pronounce it--"Moon-na." I mean, to an English speaker, "Muhn-na" sounds much more natural and correct than "Moon-na."

Either that or there'll be contradicting pronunciations in the anime, where in one episode they'll be called "Muhn-na" and in a later episode they'll be called "Moon-na." Just wait.

MetalFlygon08
29th December 2010, 10:00 PM
Whatever anyone's preferences are, the english names will soon become the universal names, and Big Pecks will run rampant.

Lorde
29th December 2010, 10:08 PM
Whatever anyone's preferences are, the english names will soon become the universal names, and Big Pecks will run rampant.

I know that the English names for the Generation 5 Pokemon will soon be universally used by fans, but I still don't want to forget about the Japanese names completely. I loved a lot of the Japanese names like Mijumaru, Mamepato, and Shikijika, so I'd still like to use those every once in a while without being harassed by other members. So long as it is clear which Pokemon someone is talking about, I don't think there's a problem with using the Japanese names for Pokemon (or their German names *wink wink*). I can always just say "Mijumaru (Oshawott)", and the problem would be solved.

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 10:10 PM
I rarely ever see people say the foreign names of Pokemon, and I hope they don't, for the sake of convenience. They can utilize them as their own preference, but in discussion it is better to use the romanized or- when more are revealed- the English names.

Mario with Lasers
30th December 2010, 2:40 AM
You may call Bulbasaur Fushigidane if you want, as long as you make it damn clear somewhere in your post it's Bulbasaur (maybe in your signature?).

LexSuicune
30th December 2010, 3:05 AM
Some people in this forum particularly get irrationaly mad whenever you use japanese pokemon names, I don't get it. People are free to call them however you see fit.

Mario with Lasers
30th December 2010, 3:44 AM
Some people in this forum particularly get irrationaly mad whenever you use japanese pokemon names, I don't get it. People are free to call them however you see fit.

...Unless, of course, they give no damn clue about the names. I recall someone got mad at me when I asked them what in heavens a Garura was a couple years ago; there was a sticky thread in the anime forum (ps there wasn't) with all the foreign names, of course I should have looked at it first instead of clogging the thread, right?

I mean, this is an English-speaking forum: I'm Brazilian, so I should talk in Portuguese if I wanted to; you can use an online dictionary to understand my posts, right???

Glitter!
30th December 2010, 4:01 AM
I mean, this is an English-speaking forum: I'm Brazilian, so I should talk in Portuguese if I wanted to; you can use an online dictionary to understand my posts, right???

Essa foi boa :P

R_N
30th December 2010, 4:40 AM
Yeah, using the English names on an English speaking forum is just common courtesy. Since, really, why bother using the names the majority wouldn't be familiar with other to cause confusion? Some people who use the names get really obnoxious about it, too.

Ophie
1st January 2011, 10:08 AM
Even with Pokémon whose Japanese names are already English approximations in the first place, such as someone who insisted on calling Flygon as "Furaigon." I'm always wondering: What do these people think the Japanese do when they want to use a word borrowed from another language?

At least I don't see people doing this with Mandarin. That'd be REALLY annoying.

huh? What?

What you saw there was a spam bot. They make largely nonsensical posts (though they try to make it as relevant as possible), then put an ad for legally questionable stuff in their signature.

playerking
2nd January 2011, 7:40 AM
Wow haven't been in this section for a while, anyway i like all of the US names, but when the english version is released i will use the english names, because theres no rules against it.

I don't know if anyone has said it yet but BW will be released on march 4th in europe.

BCVM22
2nd January 2011, 7:58 AM
I don't know if anyone has said it yet but BW will be released on march 4th in europe.

No one's said it because it's nothing close to confirmed.

playerking
2nd January 2011, 8:29 AM
This website says it does, I don't know if it's trustworthy or not. (http://www.qj.net/qjnet/nintendo-ds/pokemon-black-and-white-dated-for-europe.html)
We know America will be released on the 6th, i don't see why Europe can't have it earlier, unless it hasn't happened before.

Anyway, i think Klink somehow really fits Gear and i hope it's evolutions are like it's name.

BCVM22
2nd January 2011, 8:40 AM
This website says it does, I don't know if it's trustworthy or not. (http://www.qj.net/qjnet/nintendo-ds/pokemon-black-and-white-dated-for-europe.html)

That website cites a French website as its source, which in turn cites nothing as its source. Does that say "trustworthy" to you?

i don't see why Europe can't have it earlier

Additional translation, additional (and considerably more complex) manufacturing and logistics...

unless it hasn't happened before.

It hasn't.

Meloetta
2nd January 2011, 8:45 AM
Where is the confirmation for the European release date?

BCVM22
2nd January 2011, 8:48 AM

There is none. That was the whole point.

Meloetta
2nd January 2011, 8:51 AM
I had typed out that comment, switched to a new tab. By the time I clicked over and posted it, a few more comments had been posted referring to the release date. Comments that I didn't get a chance to read.

Don't get smart me with me :]

playerking
2nd January 2011, 8:56 AM
It's not confirmed, but it doesn't scream out fake it's still up in the air, i didn't think it was real either, but this could be real.

Anyway, since Munna kept it's name i wonder if Musharna will too, it could but i hate the name Musharna.

R_N
2nd January 2011, 9:08 AM
Going to go out on a limb and say the "basis" is this christmas card
http://pokebeach.com/news/1210/2010-tpci-holiday-card-back.jpg
Which was sent out to TCG tourney organizers and had the US release highlighted

Despite more ration explanations including but not limited to:
-Premiere of BW anime (they like to make the premieres a little special, sometimes having a preview. The first three episodes are fairly "safe" to show before/on release
-Launch of the BW card game
-Start of a card game tourney
-Something to do with the card game in general because it was sent to card game people

Sabonea_Masukippa
2nd January 2011, 9:36 AM
Anyway, since Munna kept it's name i wonder if Musharna will too, it could but i hate the name Musharna.

Musharna, for some reason, fits this design so perfectly in my opinion that I'd be rather upset if they changed it. I'm still yet to see a decent fan-coined name for it too. (Although it was the same for Oshawott and nobody came even close to guessng that).

BCVM22
2nd January 2011, 9:51 AM
-Premiere of BW anime (they like to make the premieres a little special, sometimes having a preview.

Relevant to this point, Cartoon Network in the United States frequently uses Friday nights as a premiere night.

Pursuant to that, both Battle Frontier and Diamond and Pearl were premiered in exactly that fashion. Battle Frontier showed its first episode on a Friday night followed by the next episode the next morning and a normal weekly Saturday run from there, and Diamond and Pearl premiered its first three episodes on the Friday night before the Sunday, April 22, 2007 release of those games in North America, followed by the start of its normal run about two months later.

Furthermore, Sinnoh League Victors has only five episodes left to premiere, the first of which will air on January 8th. If one assumes the remaining four after that will air every week thereafter, that has Sinnoh concluding in North America on Saturday, February 5th, making it perfectly plausible that they intend to take a month's break in premieres and then start up the Unova anime train the Friday before the games launch in North America.

Finally, if the European release date were the March 4 date, why didn't Nintendo of Europe issue a press release concurrently with Nintendo of America announcing as much?

March 4 as a release date for Europe is not unfeasible in and of itself, but there are a number of other explanations for the date's significance.

Sponge
2nd January 2011, 2:26 PM
It does say "Nintendo International" on the bottom though, wouldn't that mean the calender relates to more than one country? Not just the USA...

I might be nitpicking a bit though, but if it was just relating to the USA releases of Pokemon Black/White and the premier of the Anime/Card Game in the USA. Would it not say something like Nintendo of America (NOA) at the bottom?

lindsy95
2nd January 2011, 4:46 PM
I had typed out that comment, switched to a new tab. By the time I clicked over and posted it, a few more comments had been posted referring to the release date. Comments that I didn't get a chance to read.

Don't get smart me with me :]

With these forums you should know that switching to a different place warrants a look at new posts. With how fast threads go, anyway. 'I waited a while then posted' is hardly an excuse :]

I wonder where 'march 4th' came from anyway?

Rose Storm
2nd January 2011, 5:35 PM
I hope it's the European release date, and there's plenty of evidence, but no proof whatsoever. No matter how much we talk about it, we still don't know whether it will be or not. It could be the B/W TCG release for all we know.

R_N
2nd January 2011, 7:37 PM
It does say "Nintendo International" on the bottom though, wouldn't that mean the calender relates to more than one country? Not just the USA...

I might be nitpicking a bit though, but if it was just relating to the USA releases of Pokemon Black/White and the premier of the Anime/Card Game in the USA. Would it not say something like Nintendo of America (NOA) at the bottom?

It doesn't say Nintendo International
It says The Pokemon Company International, which is the name of the company period. If there are region specific offices (pretty sure TPCI is the US specific office) it's never been mentioned. What's more, it was sent only to the American card game people.

Also TPCI does the anime so

Meloetta
2nd January 2011, 8:46 PM
With these forums you should know that switching to a different place warrants a look at new posts. With how fast threads go, anyway. 'I waited a while then posted' is hardly an excuse :]

Who are you, and why are you nitpicking my post? I posted that yesterday, and for you to go a page back, and quote me just to pick it apart is absolutely hilarious. And I'm not using my post an excuse, because quite frankly, this is just a forum, and I obviously don't spend enough time here to know how everything works. If you look at my post count and join date. So like I said, I switched tabs for a while and came back to post. Not knowing other comments referring to said topic had been posted. :]

And I LOVE how you threw in "I wonder where 'march 4th' came from anyway?" to keep your post somewhat ontopic. You don't care, you just didn't want your post to get deleted for being offtopic. I see right through you sweetheart :]

ON TOPIC:

To answer your question, March 4th is highlighted because it marks a certain day. It didn't "come from anywhere".

The European date will be confirmed on the 10th.

Aurath8
2nd January 2011, 9:20 PM
The European date will be confirmed on the 10th.

I wonder where this January 10th came from? ;:/

Beeblebrox
2nd January 2011, 9:43 PM
Serebii has strongly hinted at a European date of March 4th on another forum that he frequents.

EDIT: Here's the quote:

I have heard a rumour of March 4th for Europe, which, although unlikely, would be fabulous.

Never say never ;)

R_N
2nd January 2011, 9:47 PM
If it is the 4th, I don't see why they wouldn't just announce it the same day the US release was announced. It's so close you may as well.

Ophie
4th January 2011, 5:39 AM
Going to go out on a limb and say the "basis" is this christmas card

Despite more ration explanations including but not limited to:
-Premiere of BW anime (they like to make the premieres a little special, sometimes having a preview. The first three episodes are fairly "safe" to show before/on release
-Launch of the BW card game
-Start of a card game tourney
-Something to do with the card game in general because it was sent to card game people

I wonder if it's just the card game--I can recall there being a time when the card game pre-empted the release it was supposed to complement, but I can't remember what. (Did this happen with the initial HeartGold/SoulSilver set?)

To be fair, these forums, to my knowledge, don't have a warning that new posts have been made. There's no way anyone could possibly know the speed of which the topics move, or even notice until it's too late, until they've been here a while. On top of that, the topics on the Black/White section fluctuate wildly in speed. Sometimes, they'll move like the wind, and sometimes they'll move like the doldrums.

So give Meloetta some slack. The way things go, based on my experiences, there is nothing someone "should know" right from the start, unless it's stated directly in the rules.

SmartD
11th January 2011, 4:43 AM
The UK date:
http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-gb/

The Austrailian (sp?) date:
http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-au/

Looks like it's coming out early in the UK.

R_N
11th January 2011, 4:50 AM
Weird, I thought Australia followed the DD/MM/YY style of date listing

Serebii!
11th January 2011, 6:19 AM
Australia does use DD/MM/YY

R_N
11th January 2011, 6:45 AM
Australia does use DD/MM/YY
Kind of weird that Europe's regions (And Latin America) would would list their releases DD/MM/YY on their site(s) but Australia wouldn't.

kangle4
11th January 2011, 7:59 AM
Kind of weird that Europe's regions (And Latin America) would would list their releases DD/MM/YY on their site(s) but Australia wouldn't.

Nintendo Australia are lazy.

R_N
12th January 2011, 7:30 PM
Oh, right. During the downtime yesterday...

POKÉMON LAUNCHING NATIONAL MALL TOUR TO SUPPORT RELEASE OF POKÉMON BLACK AND POKÉMON WHITE VIDEO GAMES

Blockbuster Year For Pokémon Franchise Kicks Off With Opportunity For Fans To Play Highly Anticipated Video Game Titles

BELLEVUE, Wash. - January 11, 2011 - Pokémon Trainers get ready... the Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version video games for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems are touring America! The Pokémon Company International announced today that one of the most anticipated video game releases of the year will be supported by a multi-city national mall tour starting February 5th - a month before the March 6th U.S. launch of the games. The 14-city tour will give fans an opportunity to discover all-new Pokémon while playing the brand-new adventure that has already taken Japan by storm. The mall tour will kick off a blockbuster year for the franchise with more activities, entertainment, and product releases on tap throughout 2011.

Each two-day stop along the Pokémon Black Version and White Version Tour will offer fans a truly immersive experience based on the new world found in the video games, with Pokémon taking over malls to celebrate the marquee releases. Video game demo areas will showcase Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, allowing fans to experience the games firsthand. Families can attend a free screening of the new Pokémon feature-length film, Pokémon-Zoroark: Master of Illusions, at theaters located at the mall tour stops. The tour also features Pokémon character meet and greets with brand-new starter Pokémon Snivy™, Tepig™ and Oshawott™, a mall-wide scavenger hunt, a special Celebi™ character distribution at GameStop stores; plus contests, prizes, and much more! A Pokémon Center store offering merchandise will also be on-site.

"The anticipation for Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version has been palpable, and we are eager to introduce these fantastic new games to America," said J.C. Smith, The Pokémon Company International's director of Marketing. "We cannot wait to hit the road and give Pokémon fans an up-close and personal look at an all-new world of Pokémon in a fun, totally immersive environment."

The Pokémon Black Version and White Version Tour will run every weekend through March 20th in the following cities:

February 5th and 6th:

* Seattle, WA (Westfield Southcenter, Seattle, WA)
* Cleveland, OH (Westfield SouthPark, Strongsville, OH)

February 12th and 13th:

* San Jose, CA (Westfield Oakridge, San Jose, CA)
* Memphis, TN (Wolfchase Galleria, Memphis, TN)

February 19th and 20th:

* Los Angeles, CA (Westfield Santa Anita, Arcadia, CA)
* Indianapolis, IN (Castleton Square, Indianapolis, IN)

February 26th and 27th:

* Denver, CO (Town Center at Aurora, Aurora, CO)
* Philadelphia, PA (Franklin Mills, Philadelphia, PA)

March 5th and 6th:

* New York, NY (Westfield Garden State Plaza, Paramus, NJ) (Actually Friday and Saturday, March 4th and 5th)
* Minneapolis, MN (Mall of America®, Bloomington, MN)

March 12th and 13th:

* Dallas, TX (Grapevine Mills, Grapevine, TX)
* Atlanta, GA (Discover Mills, Lawrenceville, GA)

March 19th and 20th:

* Phoenix, AZ (Arizona Mills, Tempe, AZ)
* Jacksonville, FL (Orange Park Mall, Orange Park, FL)

The mall tour kicks off a historic year for the Pokémon franchise that will introduce an all-new trading card game expansion, feature-length film, animated series, and merchandise. The multi-pronged rollout will thrust the Pokémon brand into the spotlight across its many entertainment offerings.

Pokemon Black & White Demo Tour! And it looks like it's another chance to download a Celebi, too.

As an extra bonus, we'll probably be finding out English names of Darumakka, Tabunne, Basurao and maybe even Shikijika & Emonga from the demo.

Dr. Leggs
12th January 2011, 11:27 PM
Ehh, none of these places are nearby me... It'll be cool to watch though, and we'll get some succulent new info so I'm down with it.

WishIhadaManafi5
12th January 2011, 11:37 PM
I'm glad that I finally get a chance to get a Celebi... but none of those places are nearby for the rest of the events either.

Lorde
12th January 2011, 11:43 PM
I live close to one of the stops for this Black and White promotional tour, so you can bet that I'm going. I mean, they're letting you play demos of Pokemon Black and White. That's reason enough to go. I believe that they're also selling Pokemon Center merchandise and showing the Zoroark movie, which just adds to the fun. It looks like they're really trying to get out there and promote these games. I wish they'd do these kind of events for all of the Pokemon games.

Nibbles4Ever
12th January 2011, 11:58 PM
One of these locations is sort of close to me but it's kind of hard to get to without a car DX