Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Sabonea_Masukippa
1st February 2011, 12:03 PM
Guess who Chili and Cress are? Here's a hint they live in Striaton City. :P

Oh, and they have a Lillipup.

And are Cilan's brothers. :P

Ash-kid
1st February 2011, 12:07 PM
So, Striaton is the new name. Chili and Cress are good names however I liked more the Japanese version. I guess we will get used to it.

Beeblebrox
1st February 2011, 2:33 PM
Intriguing. All the gym leaders thus far have plant names. Hmm...

Thriller
1st February 2011, 2:52 PM
Chill is apparently derived from "Chili" (doesn't quite make sense though, since whenever we think of the word "Chill" we think of coldness). Cress is derived from Watercress.

Chili and Cress are good names however I liked more the Japanese version.

Dude, seriously, "Corn" was an absolutely atrocious name for Cress. Who names their children that?

TerraWolf
1st February 2011, 2:57 PM

Maybe because, I don't know. The 3 Gym Leader Brothers are waiters and Iris wasn't Japanese to begin with.

Dr. Leggs
1st February 2011, 3:56 PM
Chill is apparently derived from "Chili" (doesn't quite make sense though, since whenever we think of the word "Chill" we think of coldness).

I think you're misreading it. Chili is the name, not Chill.

omniouswind
1st February 2011, 4:41 PM

All of the gym leaders' Japanese names were based off of plants as well. Perhaps they'll be keeping with that theme, but combine it with references to the type they train.

Also, Chili seems like not much of a name, but I've pretty much gotten over that already.

Thriller
1st February 2011, 4:52 PM
I think you're misreading it. Chili is the name, not Chill.

Point still stands.

Besides, it seemed they were going for a salad theme here with Cilan(tro) and (Water)Cress. Chili has nothing to do with salads, while Pep(per), does.

Dr. Leggs
1st February 2011, 6:42 PM
Point still stands.

Besides, it seemed they were going for a salad theme here with Cilan(tro) and (Water)Cress. Chili has nothing to do with salads, while Pep(per), does.

No, the point doesn't stand. They don't have to have all three gym leaders relate to salad. They're waiters, they relate to food. It just so happens that cilantro and watercress are common in salads. Cilantro's used in many other dishes as well. I don't see where there could be an issue.

Chris
1st February 2011, 7:20 PM
Point still stands.

Pretty sure their names have more to do with a food theme, as opposed to a salad theme. They DO work in a restaurant, you know.

The Oncoming Storm
1st February 2011, 7:32 PM
okay enough we get it they work in a resturant. Every body has said it enough. The names are food related its obvious.

LexSuicune
1st February 2011, 7:32 PM
Some interesting news. The Dream World won't be online straight away at the beginning, And Nintendo is thinking about doing hot spot places.
http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=148950

Hot spot places? what does that mean?

Chris
1st February 2011, 7:45 PM
Some interesting news. The Dream World won't be online straight away at the beginning, And Nintendo is thinking about doing hot spot places.
http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=148950
They've been wanting to do that since the DS' release and never did anything with it. It'll be an even longer time before we ever catch up with Japan, technology-wise.

tmega90
1st February 2011, 8:08 PM
It will be cool to see what they would do with these hotspots. I wonder what different things they would do at them.

Ophie
1st February 2011, 11:51 PM
They are either made out of:

a)Some sturdy paper-and-plastic-composite mix with some sticky-note glue on the back - essentially a reusable sticker

or

b)A big plastic sheet that can stick on the wall like a suctioncup - essentially a window-cling.

It will not be the latter. Suction cups only work on smooth, flat surfaces like glass, and walls are rarely as smooth as glass. It must have an adhesive on the back, or it won't stick.

Hot spot places? what does that mean?

A hotspot is a place where one can use the Internet wirelessly. If you bring in a device with a way of connecting tot he Internet wirelessly, you can use it there.

There are three types of hotspots, based on what I've seen: Free hotspots, where anyone can use it as they wish for any purpose; pay hotspots, where you pay a fee and get permission to use it; and exclusive hotspots, which only work with certain devices.

BW202
2nd February 2011, 12:17 AM

Serebii said in the Character Disscusion Thread that the rest of the names aren't plant-related.

So, Striaton is the new name. Chili and Cress are good names however I liked more the Japanese version. I guess we will get used to it.

Yep, Pod, Corn and Dento are great names.
/sarcasm

MetalFlygon08
2nd February 2011, 12:43 AM
Yep, Pod, Corn and Dento are great names.
/sarcasm

It's like this every generation, too many people are bull-headed and say-"New Name/Pokemon/Generation/Item/Pixel Placement has ruined Pokemon, I will never buy it again!" with the hope their insgnificant and rather stupid opinions will change Game Freak's minds into making the game how said individual wants it, which would result in more upset fans since the way these people would want it, the games would be: In Black and White, becuase RBY were perfect, full of glitches becuase they're to lazy to raise a Pokemon the right way, or like the anime becuase obviously the games are based on it.

So in short, The minority whom Game Freak Ignores=Bull headed fans, the people who Game Freak tries to please=Those with money.

Manafi's Dream
2nd February 2011, 1:03 AM
I love the new names! Striaton is a little hard to say, but I'll get used to it. I love Lillipup cuz it's such a cute name! My only concern is that at the end of the vid, Papour appeared to move very slowly while Tepig was moving regular speed. Maybe it's notas bad as I think, so I'll just have to wait for it to come out. Super syked!!!

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 1:10 AM
Papour appeared to move very slowly while Tepig was moving regular speed.

In Black/White, when a Pokemon's health is in the red or it's inflicted with a major status ailment, its sprite animation slows down to express that.

Anybody have ideas on pronouncing Striaton? I've been pronouncing it as STREYE-uh-tin but I wonder if other people thought differently.

Dragonshock
2nd February 2011, 1:15 AM
In Black/White, when a Pokemon's health is in the red or it's inflicted with a major status ailment, its sprite animation slows down to express that.

Anybody have ideas on pronouncing Striaton? I've been pronouncing it as STREYE-uh-tin but I wonder if other people thought differently.

I pronounce it as STREE-uh-ton

Maverik
2nd February 2011, 1:22 AM
The "tria" is from "trio", referring to the three gym leaders. Also from "stratus" cloud.
I believe the first pronunciation was correct, but say it however you feel like it...

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 1:27 AM
I understand the name, but then again you have different pronunciations for 'tri' and 'tri(o)' despite coming from the same root. I think either would work.

Sponge
2nd February 2011, 1:27 AM
I pronounce it as: Stry (rhymes with dry)-a-ton

Darn Gen 5 and it's complicated names. (No I love you really gen 5 :p)

Maverik
2nd February 2011, 1:30 AM
I understand the name, but then again you have different pronunciations for 'tri' and 'tri(o)' despite coming from the same root. I think either would work.

Got a point, guess we'll need an official source or something.
I actually like streeaton better, seems like an actual name of a city.

Dragonshock
2nd February 2011, 1:35 AM
Since we're talking about pronunciations, can anyone tell me how to pronounce Tympole?

Is is Time-pole
or Tim-pole?

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 1:38 AM
Got a point, guess we'll need an official source or something.
I actually like streeaton better, seems like an actual name of a city.
Ahah, I thought the opposite; Stry-a-ton sounds more like a place to me. To each his own, though. XD

Since we're talking about pronunciations, can anyone tell me how to pronounce Tympole?

Is is Time-pole
or Tim-pole?
It likely comes from Tympani and Tadpole, so my money's on Tim-pole.

Chris
2nd February 2011, 1:47 AM
It's like this every generation, too many people are bull-headed and say-"New Name/Pokemon/Generation/Item/Pixel Placement has ruined Pokemon, I will never buy it again!" with the hope their insgnificant and rather stupid opinions will change Game Freak's minds into making the game how said individual wants it, which would result in more upset fans since the way these people would want it, the games would be: In Black and White, becuase RBY were perfect, full of glitches becuase they're to lazy to raise a Pokemon the right way, or like the anime becuase obviously the games are based on it.

So in short, The minority whom Game Freak Ignores=Bull headed fans, the people who Game Freak tries to please=Those with money.
It's worse when most of them complain about English names not being the same as Japanese names, yet the English ones have as much word play (and are sometimes direct translations of the Japanese ones, such as how Typhlosion is to Bakuphoon). Even funnier when they keep the same names but they're spelled "differently" because they're not the spelling they're used to (like the whole "RUKARIO/DIARUGA/PARUKIA > LUCARIO/DIALGA/PALKIA" nonsense that started last gen).

Dragonshock
2nd February 2011, 1:57 AM
I've heard somewhere that pokemon can run away from you...

Is this true and if so, how does it happen?

And what does it mean? Pokemon being mistreated and running away or wild pokemon fleeing?

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 1:59 AM
I've heard somewhere that pokemon can run away from you...

Is this true and if so, how does it happen?

And what does it mean? Pokemon being mistreated and running away or wild pokemon fleeing?

Neither of these occur in the games. I don't know where you heard that, but there's no evidence of such a thing.

lindsy95
2nd February 2011, 2:01 AM
I admit, the flee flags in the BW dex make me wonder that too.

Nvm X/

Sabonea_Masukippa
2nd February 2011, 2:01 AM
It's worse when most of them complain about English names not being the same as Japanese names, yet the English ones have as much word play (and are sometimes direct translations of the Japanese ones, such as how Typhlosion is to Bakuphoon). Even funnier when they keep the same names but they're spelled "differently" because they're not the spelling they're used to (like the whole "RUKARIO/DIARUGA/PARUKIA > LUCARIO/DIALGA/PALKIA" nonsense that started last gen).

True that. Although I remember quite a bit of fan rage when Kaiorga became Kyogre because 'Kaiorga's beautiful! It's not an Ogre! Stupid nintendo! Kaiorga for ever!' And even some fuss about Abusoru becoming the 'ugly' Absol.

Although the Rukario is betteru stuff from last gen was much, much worse.

Basically many 'fans' (particualrly older ones, it seems) want the franchise to suddenly become something it isn't/are surprised when they do the same sort of stuff each Gen.

Thriller
2nd February 2011, 2:41 AM
Well, "Timburr" is the worst English name so far. Someone please tell me what this has to do with clowns, fighting, and planks of wood? Sounds more like what you'd call an Ice Pokemon.

R_N
2nd February 2011, 2:42 AM
So
Cilan, a seasoning
Cress, a vegetable
Chili, a...chili...soup...thing

neat

R_N
2nd February 2011, 2:44 AM
Well, "Timburr" is the worst English name so far. Someone please tell me what this has to do with clowns, fighting, and planks of wood? Sounds more like what you'd call an Ice Pokemon.

Oh my god are you serious.
Timber
You know, like the plank of wood it's carrying around? And construction of wooden things (remember, the Timburr line is also partially based off of Japanese construction workers)?

Maverik
2nd February 2011, 2:53 AM
Timburr-
Timber
Durr
Builder

People NEED to do their RESEARCH before COMPLAINING.

BCVM22
2nd February 2011, 2:54 AM

Wait, I thought "Cilan" was the worst English name. Which is it, Thriller?

ForeverFlame
2nd February 2011, 2:56 AM
Cilan, Cress, and Chili are all named after plants. Not only that, but the plants match each of the leaders' choice of Type.

Timburr is an intentional misspelling of Timber, as in wood.

BW202
2nd February 2011, 3:04 AM

...really? Do you know the meaning of Timber? If you don't, well...it's a piece of wood.

Disgruntled Goat
2nd February 2011, 4:15 AM
I wonder if they'll change cilan for the English (British) release, because no one here will know what cilantro is (I had to look it up, I thought it was coleslaw but turns out it's coriander).

Cress is kinda weird for the water type guy though, since cress itself is green and "grassy".

Also, was it ever established exactly where the 'burr' and 'durr' come from in the Timburr evo line?

BCVM22
2nd February 2011, 4:17 AM
I wonder if they'll change cilan for the English (British) release, because no one here will know what cilantro is

Doubtful. It's not as if American kids necessarily know offhand what cilantro is either.

Cress is kinda weird for the water type guy though, since cress itself is green and "grassy".

Full name of the plant: Watercress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watercress).

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 4:17 AM

Considering it comes from watercress, not really.

edit: accelgor'd

Disgruntled Goat
2nd February 2011, 4:24 AM
Sure, I know it's WATERcress, but when you think of it you think of the green cress part, not the 'water' part. That's what I was saying.

BCVM22
2nd February 2011, 4:25 AM
My first thought was "watercress" rather than "green" and/or "leafy", for the record.

Tyrannotaur
2nd February 2011, 4:35 AM

I bet you regret posting that after having 5 different people call you out on it.

So
Cilan, a seasoning
Cress, a vegetable
Chili, a...chili...soup...thing

neat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_pepper yup yup

;248;

BW202
2nd February 2011, 4:41 AM
Also, was it ever established exactly where the 'burr' and 'durr' come from in the Timburr evo line?

Well Timburr and Gurdurr are plays on Timber and Girder. I believe Conkeldurr is Concrete + Elder.

R_N
2nd February 2011, 4:42 AM
I bet you regret posting that after having 5 different people call you out on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_pepper yup yup

;248;

I don't know, I think Chili, the food (okay well Chili peppers are also food BUT) is equally as likely. For whatever reason I think of the meal rather than the pepper when I first hear "Chili".

Also I thought of "Crest" for Cress, like the crest of a wave; in my defense I had never heard of the watercress plant

Cobalt_Latios
2nd February 2011, 4:45 AM
Full name of the plant: Watercress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watercress).
You mean... oh! I was not aware of that. Well hey, it works perfectly!

My first thought was "watercress" rather than "green" and/or "leafy", for the record.
I just thought it was "Crest" with 's' replacing 't', which meant like the crest of a wave, water.

Yeah, not very smart, I know.

edit:
Also I thought of "Crest" for Cress, like the crest of a wave; in my defense I had never heard of the watercress plant
Okay, good. I'm not the only one.

So far, I'm liking the English names. Some of them will have to take some time to get some pronunciations right, but it's easy to manage.

/CL

BCVM22
2nd February 2011, 4:54 AM
I believe Conkeldurr is Concrete + Elder.

You also get the bonus of having "conk" in there, which is what the Pokémon ostensibly does to opponents with the big honking blocks it carries.

R_N
2nd February 2011, 4:59 AM
You also get the bonus of having "conk" in there, which is what the Pokémon ostensibly does to opponents with the big honking blocks it carries.

And not only carries, but most likely made

Chris
2nd February 2011, 6:05 AM
The Japanese names for its evolutions had nothing to do with clowns (where you got that, I have no idea), fighting or what they carry.

Thriller
2nd February 2011, 6:25 AM
I never thought of "Timber" as the plank of wood it carries. I call that "Lumber."

And "Timber" relates to woodcutting and the tree falling.

BCVM22
2nd February 2011, 6:34 AM
And "Timber" relates to woodcutting and the tree falling.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/timber

–noun
1. the wood of growing trees suitable for structural uses.
2. growing trees themselves.
3. wooded land.
4. wood, esp. when suitable or adapted for various building purposes.
5. a single piece of wood forming part of a structure or the like: A timber fell from the roof.

Chris
2nd February 2011, 6:41 AM
Simply put: You have a case of "I've got not idea what I'm talking about-itis."

alexcat493
2nd February 2011, 8:09 AM
I can confirm all names that Serebii has not yet confirmed. Here they are:

No.496: Servine
No.497: Serperior
No.499: Pignite
No.500: Emboar
No.502: Dewott
No.503: Samurott
No.507: Herdier
No.508: Stoutland
No.509: Purrloin
No.510: Liepard
No.512: Simisage
No.514: Simisear
No.516: Simipour
No.520: Tranquill
No.521: Unfezant
No.523: Zebstrika
No.524: Roggenrola
No.525: Boldore
No.526: Gigalith
No.528: Swoobat
No.531: Audino
No.533: Gurdurr
No.534: Conkeldurr
No.536: Palpitoad
No.537: Seismitoad
No.538: Throh
No.539: Sawk
No.541: Swadloon
No.542: Leavanny
No.543: Venipede
No.544: Whirlipede
No.545: Scolipede
No.546: Cottonee
No.547: Whimsicott
No.548: Petilil
No.549: Lilligant
No.552: Krokorok
No.553: Krookodile
No.554: Daramaka
No.556: Maractus
No.557: Dwebble
No.558: Crustle
No.559: Scraggy
No.560: Scrafty
No.561: Sigilyph
No.562: Yamask
No.564: Tirtouga
No.565: Carracosta
No.566: Archen
No.567: Archeops
No.568: Trubbish
No.569: Garbodor
No.573: Cinccino
No.574: Gothita
No.575: Gothorita
No.577: Solosis
No.578: Duosion
No.580: Ducklett
No.582: Vanillite
No.583: Vanillish
No.584: Vaniluxe
No.586: Sawsbuck
No.587: Emolga
No.588: Karrablast
No.589: Excavalier
No.590: Foongus
No.591: Amoonguss
No.592: Frillish
No.593: Jellicent
No.595: Joltik
No.596: Galvantula
No.597: Ferroseed
No.598: Ferrothorn
No.600: Klang
No.601: Kilinklang
No.602: Tynamo
No.603: Eelektrik
No.604: Eelektross
No.605: Elgyem
No.606: Beheeyem
No.607: Litwick
No.608: Lampent
No.609: Chandelure
No.611: Fraxure
No.612: Haxorus

Thats all I have time for, will continue tomorrow

Pink Lapras
2nd February 2011, 8:14 AM
^Hah, yeah right. Let's wait for the ACTUAL English names.

Cobalt_Latios
2nd February 2011, 8:20 AM
Yeah, no. (http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/black-white)

Sometimes, the coots are right after all.

/CL

Pink Lapras
2nd February 2011, 8:25 AM
Heh, sorry, haven't been around much.

This will help with setting my team though. In my Word document I still have alot of Japanese names.

Stardust .
2nd February 2011, 8:27 AM

Have you lived under a rock for the last month?

Yeah, no. (http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/black-white)

Sometimes, the coots are right after all.

/CL

Win.

Pink Lapras
2nd February 2011, 8:32 AM
^No, I only go on Serebii for my Pokemon fix. Nowhere else.

R_N
2nd February 2011, 8:46 AM
^No, I only go on Serebii for my Pokemon fix. Nowhere else.

Clearly not the forums, then, because we've been talking about and using them for a while now.

The Japanese names for its evolutions had nothing to do with clowns (where you got that, I have no idea), fighting or what they carry.

Gurdurr's Japanese name referenced the girder it carried, at least.

Gus Portual
2nd February 2011, 9:51 AM
also, drillbur and excadrill aren't excaliber-related. drill + burrow & excavate + drill

Seriously? lol Do we really have to go through this whole thing again?

Do you know what "writing on multiple levels" means?

Let's talk when you do.

[ATTITUDE MODE OFF]

PS Also, it's spelled EXCALIBUR. With a "U". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur

LexSuicune
2nd February 2011, 5:02 PM
Excadrill Excavate+Drill no?

LOL, Where did Excalibur come from?

Tyrannotaur
2nd February 2011, 5:08 PM
Excadrill Excavate+Drill no?

LOL, Where did Excalibur come from?

Look like a few pages back on the New Pokemon discussion thread and there was a huge argument over this. In short, if you take the Exca from Excadrill and the -ilbur from Drillbur and put them together you get Excailbur, which is an obvious nod to Excalibur. Deny it all you like, it is still there.

I am glad Serebii put up the English names finally. Now I won't have to try and translate alot of you who insisted on using the Japanese names. No fault of any of yours, its just a pain when you are trying to learn the English names and all you see is Denchura, Daikenki, Jalorda..etc.

Although Emolga is still going to remind me of the Molga Zoid.
-;248;

Chris
2nd February 2011, 5:16 PM
In Excadrill's case, it actually works as a double meaning. The "Exca" part does come from both Excalibur and excavate. Remember that Pokemon names aren't always limited to just one meaning. This applies to both Japanese and English names.

Linkaro
2nd February 2011, 5:29 PM
Pignite? they acually kept Pignite except it is for the second form?

.:Alex:.
2nd February 2011, 5:36 PM
Wow, most of those are horrible names. I'm actually put off using some of the new Pokemon, because of the awful names. At least Denchura got a passable name... Galvantula... Not too shabby.

Amoongus and Klinkalng are probably the ones I hate most though. Ick.

It's disappointing. I really did not like the names they gave to the fourth gen Pokemon, and was feeling quite optimistic this time from the names they had revealed so far.

Chris
2nd February 2011, 5:50 PM
Wow, most of those are horrible names. I'm actually put off using some of the new Pokemon, because of the awful names. At least Denchura got a passable name... Galvantula... Not too shabby.

It's disappointing. I really did not like the names they gave to the fourth gen Pokemon, and was feeling quite optimistic this time from the names they had revealed so far.
Because their Japanese names totally weren't puns and silly names to begin with. Yeah, having pre-evolutions with the word "Gea" in them had totally nothing to do with them looking like gears!

Tyrannotaur
2nd February 2011, 5:50 PM
Pignite? they acually kept Pignite except it is for the second form?

Whats wrong with that? Its a pig. Emboar is a boar so it never fit him.

You are entitled to have your opinion but whats so wrong with Klinklang? Its much better than the Japanese Gigigear, and does basically the same thing that name did.
Amoongus I can see not liking if you don't see the pun. "A fungus is among us" is a old saying, which is what they named Foongus and Amoongus after.

-;248;

2nd February 2011, 5:53 PM
Whats wrong with that? Its a pig. Emboar is a boar so it never fit him.

You are entitled to have your opinion but whats so wrong with Klinklang? Its much better than the Japanese Gigigear, and does basically the same thing that name did.
Amoongus I can see not liking if you don't see the pun. "A fungus is among us" is a old saying, which is what they named Foongus and Amoongus after.

-;248;
Eh, I'll concede it's a lot better than Gigigear, but I think they should have just come up with something completely different. It just sounds dumb to me.

I get the pun with Amoongus, but I just don't think it works as a name.

Chris
2nd February 2011, 6:01 PM
You're basically suffering from the ol' "THEY CHANGED IT, SO IT SUCKS" disease that floats around every time something's announced for an English release. You'll get over it soon. There's nothing wrong with the names.

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 6:06 PM
^^^ Word up.

There are still some people on Smogon and such denying that Keldeo/Meloetta/Genesect are confirmed, and that Emolga is a typo...

Glad the event legends stayed the same, though. Keldeo and Genesect are great names, and Meloetta's forme names (Aria & Pirouette) are exceptionally cool.

2nd February 2011, 6:07 PM
I doubt it. I still hate some of the 4th gen names, and it's nothing to do with the Japanese names as I really haven't been following them enough to care about those at all.

Meh, maybe I'll stop caring about these names, but I'll never like them though. They just don't... match. That's why I personally dislike them.

The Eleventh
2nd February 2011, 6:09 PM
Where were the names for Meloetta's formes gotten from? I don't think they were on the list. I like them though; Aria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aria) and Pirouette, a ballet move.

Chris
2nd February 2011, 6:12 PM
There are times where generally any translation makes a few unnecessary changes, such as Genosect and Tri Badge to Genesect and Trio Badge. No question about it, it does make you scratch your head and wonder what the point was in that. But for the most part, everything's still relatively fitting and sticking with either the original wordplays or create their own to suit the Pokemon.

At the very least, we're not seeing any rather confusing changes like with Digimon, for example, where Wolfmon's name was changed to Lobomon (same name...only in SPANISH!) or how Terriermon, a dog-based Digimon, uses an attack called "Bunny Blast" (which was Blazing Fire in the original).

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 6:17 PM
I don't see how Genosect -> Genesect is unnecessary. Genesect is from Genesis, gene and insect, whereas Genosect would've implied genocide or something along those lines.

Chris
2nd February 2011, 6:20 PM
"Geno" comes from "genome" which relates to DNA; genes.

Sakrey
2nd February 2011, 6:26 PM
[...]whereas Genosect would've implied genocide or something along those lines.

I think it is more related to genome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genome) than genocide.
It could be right, it could be wrong...or both. Who know ?

whoo, slow typing is sloooow.

Grei
2nd February 2011, 6:28 PM

As Sabonea Masukippa once said:

Don't be fooled into thinking the Japanese names are better, wittier, more fitting just because you don't understand the language. Believe it or not, a number of these names are arguably better than the Japanese ones. Most of them are direct translations of the puns the Japanese names had.

You're ignorant if you think the names don't fit. On the contrary, there are very few that DON'T fit, and the sooner people realize this, the better off this forum will be.

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 6:35 PM
But the official romanization was Genesect anyway, so where's the issue...?

Grei
2nd February 2011, 6:40 PM
Couldn't the name also reference 'genesis'?

Chris
2nd February 2011, 6:57 PM
Couldn't the name also reference 'genesis'?
Not really, because its name has absolutely nothing to do with genesis.

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 6:59 PM
Considering Genesect was originally around 300,000,000 years ago, it's not much of a stretch at all.

TurtwigFan1
2nd February 2011, 7:01 PM
The names I actually love are Foongus and Amoongus. Like Fungus Among Us ;)

Most of the names seem fine to me - although Serperior sounds too similar to Rhyperior in my opinion. Just gonna take a while to learn all the names of these Pokémon!

Aurath8
2nd February 2011, 7:02 PM
Not really, because its name has absolutely nothing to do with genesis.

I beleive Genesect is an ancient bug that got revived and modified by TP? Genesis being the beginning could reference the fact it lived so long ago.

Exodd
2nd February 2011, 7:11 PM
Emolga still contains an odd letter change that messes up the pun in the name. Mandibuzz still sounds like the name of a bug or electric type.

Why was the list all of a sudden considered completely official?

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 7:16 PM
The list was always official, but for various reasons Serebii didn't want to reveal it as such.

Chris
2nd February 2011, 7:19 PM
Considering Genesect was originally around 300,000,000 years ago, it's not much of a stretch at all.

I beleive Genesect is an ancient bug that got revived and modified by TP? Genesis being the beginning could reference the fact it lived so long ago.
While that may be so, there's very little evidence in its Dex entries or anything supporting that theory. In fact, mostly everything written about it mentions how it was revived from a fossil and modified with robotic features, hence the whole genetics thing.

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 7:22 PM
While that may be so, there's very little evidence in its Dex entries or anything supporting that theory. In fact, mostly everything written about it mentions how it was revived from a fossil and modified with robotic features, hence the whole genetics thing.

Little evidence? Both of its Dex entries refer to the fact that it was an apex predator in ancient times, and that it was modified by Team Plasma. Not to mention it's species is the 'Paleozoic Pokemon'. I think both would be fine but I don't see the change as unnecessary at all.

tmega90
2nd February 2011, 7:23 PM
Meloetta's forms have really cool names! I looked and Aria means a solo song in opera, cantata, or oratorio. Pirouette means to whirl about.

Poke_Mania97
2nd February 2011, 7:41 PM

wow, i knew it was from a long long long(u get it) time ago, but not that much! wow i really want it, too bad its an event. I always like Genesect cause its got that gun, or more of a cannon.

and i really dont like bug types, but genesect is cool.

Thriller
2nd February 2011, 8:00 PM
Heh, this is the first I've ever heard of this leak. What can I say? I've been doing a lot lately.

It explains why the peeps in the Spoiler Forum have been using these names.

The Eleventh
2nd February 2011, 8:05 PM
I'd love to see what Genesect looked like without Team Plasma's modifications. I presume it'd be dinosaur-like, but you can never tell!

BCVM22
2nd February 2011, 8:25 PM
I presume it'd be dinosaur-like, but you can never tell!

It's part Bug-type; one could assume it would be some sort of giant insect predator.

Sponge
2nd February 2011, 8:39 PM
I suppose it's possible for there to be a typo in the leaked list, but I doubt there will be any major differences. I've believed in the leaked list ever since the first english names were revealed that confirmed it.

Disgruntled Goat
2nd February 2011, 9:04 PM
Well Timburr and Gurdurr are plays on Timber and Girder. I believe Conkeldurr is Concrete + Elder.
Hmm, I was wondering more if the 'burr' and 'durr' spellings had any specific origin or just random interchanges like the K's in Eelektross, etc.
EDIT: someone in another thread suggested the "urr" is from the noise you might make when straining to list something. Sounds logical.

I can confirm all names that Serebii has not yet confirmed.
Welcome to 3 weeks ago!

There are times where generally any translation makes a few unnecessary changes, such as Genosect and Tri Badge to Genesect and Trio Badge. No question about it, it does make you scratch your head and wonder what the point was in that.
Except they weren't translating from Genosect->Genesect. They were translating from the Japanese, and came up with the best English equivalent.

BynineB
2nd February 2011, 9:11 PM
Conkeldurr: Conk + Elder + Durr.. Sounds like the most likely explanation.

Maverik
2nd February 2011, 9:18 PM
^Don't forget builder.

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 9:19 PM
^ And concrete, the blocks that it wields.

Porygandrew
2nd February 2011, 9:21 PM
I'd love to see what Genesect looked like without Team Plasma's modifications. I presume it'd be dinosaur-like, but you can never tell!
That's like asking what mewtwo would look like without Team Rocket's modifications or what prehistoric forms of fossil pokemon look like (whether they'd be part rock-type or not).
I have serious doubts that we'll get a 'minisect' version of Genesect, especially since there isn't a hidden version this gen. If there's one in 6th gen, I'd chalk it up to retconning versus actual planning (kind of like the mess of the Sinnoh Pokedex and to a lesser extent the HGSS Johto pokedex)

R_N
2nd February 2011, 9:39 PM
Conkeldurr: Conk + Elder + Durr.. Sounds like the most likely explanation.

OR

the durr comes from a corruption of Elder like Timber & Girder were corrupted. I doubt "durrrrrr" was any consideration, considering the line isn't known for being stupid.

Sabonea_Masukippa
3rd February 2011, 12:14 AM
There are times where generally any translation makes a few unnecessary changes, such as Genosect and Tri Badge to Genesect and Trio Badge.

Genesect was the official romanization of the Japanese name anyway (all three hidden legends do so, this gen), likely it was used of Genosect to avoid possible conotations with the word Genocide. (But how you explain Cofagrigus, I'll never know..)

As Sabonea Masukippa once said:

Don't be fooled into thinking the Japanese names are better, wittier, more fitting just because you don't understand the language. Believe it or not, a number of these names are arguably better than the Japanese ones. Most of them are direct translations of the puns the Japanese names had.

You're ignorant if you think the names don't fit. On the contrary, there are very few that DON'T fit, and the sooner people realize this, the better off this forum will be.

Did I really say that?!? Lol. It's true though. I remember when Denchura and Deathkahn were first revealed that 2ch lit up with rage about how the names this generation had no style or naming sense. And Gigear and Gigigear were joke names for Gear's evolutions for months before release - people were shocked/horrified that they were correct.

Cobalt_Latios
3rd February 2011, 1:23 AM
Did I really say that?!? Lol. It's true though. I remember when Denchura and Deathkahn were first revealed that 2ch lit up with rage about how the names this generation had no style or naming sense. And Gigear and Gigigear were joke names for Gear's evolutions for months before release - people were shocked/horrified that they were correct.
It's things like these that tend to make me question this fanbase at times. Then again, it is 2chan.

Also, on the note of names fitting, I'm already quite impressed; I just need to brush up on my vocabulary more to know about the different meanings of the words being used.

Like the Hydra line. I had no idea that it used the German 1-3 within their names.

There's a few I'm still trying to figure out, but other than that, the names seem to fit quite nicely.

/CL

Ace Trainer Alex
3rd February 2011, 1:46 AM
A guy in my pokemon social group on PSO-World posted the list a while back. Every time Serebii announced new pokemon names in US, I was checking them on the list. I like some of them, but others... eh...

Carracosta sounds flippin cool, though.

bulber
3rd February 2011, 1:49 AM
I wonder if they'll change cilan for the English (British) release, because no one here will know what cilantro is (I had to look it up, I thought it was coleslaw but turns out it's coriander).

Hey, that would have been a better name for Cilan;

Corri

noahk
3rd February 2011, 2:13 AM

Possible an origin form to come out in grey???????

Disgruntled Goat
3rd February 2011, 3:10 AM
That's like asking what mewtwo would look like without Team Rocket's modifications
Uh... this?
http://pokemondb.net/static/sprites/black-white/normal/mew.png

Hey, that would have been a better name for Cilan;

Corri

But if they did that in the UK they'd have to have another one called 'Enders' (lol I doubt anyone will get that)

SneaselClaw
3rd February 2011, 10:28 AM
But if they did that in the UK they'd have to have another one called 'Enders' (lol I doubt anyone will get that)

I got it, and that was a terrible joke.
I'm really not crazy about alot of these English names for the characters and Pokemon, some of the Japanese ones would have been better!

Sabonea_Masukippa
3rd February 2011, 11:47 AM
I'm really not crazy about alot of these English names for the characters and Pokemon, some of the Japanese ones would have been better!

Cool story bro.

Which names would have been better?

SneaselClaw
3rd February 2011, 11:57 AM
Cool story bro.
That's meme's so old, it's a bannable offense on some forums.... bro.

Which names would have been better?

Liepard for one, the emphasis seems to be on the LIE which just makes it more annoying to say. Lepardas rolled off the tongue easily.

Sabonea_Masukippa
3rd February 2011, 12:05 PM

K.

Liepard for one, the emphasis seems to be on the LIE which just makes it more annoying to say. Lepardas rolled off the tongue easily.

Ok, that one I can see, maybe, but seeing as Liepard has meaning to English speakers, were as Lepardas doesn't, I can see why they chose one over the other.

Ophie
3rd February 2011, 1:34 PM
Cilantro's REAL popular here. Nintendo of America is located in Washington state, right? It's biggest along the Pacific coast.

Dr. Leggs
3rd February 2011, 4:58 PM
...Cool story, bro.

LIE-perd. How is that annoying to say?

Cilantro's REAL popular here. Nintendo of America is located in Washington state, right? It's biggest along the Pacific coast.
Yep. I've never been to a restaurant here on the East Coast that didn't have something with cilantro in it. It's big.

LexSuicune
3rd February 2011, 7:29 PM
The name's I will NEVER get used to are Sawk and Troh, I don't even know if that's how they're spelled, they're always gonna be Nageki and Dageki for me.

Dr. Leggs
3rd February 2011, 7:34 PM
Those are spelled correctly.

Throh is fine with me, Sawk is the one that's a little meh. Stryke would've fit more, I think. But you are aware that Nageki and Dageki are the exact same jokes, right?

Poke_Mania97
3rd February 2011, 7:36 PM

well i for one found that funny. if its not funny, dont say it was a terrible joke, just say what u know wont hurt peoples feelings

Sabonea_Masukippa
3rd February 2011, 9:09 PM
But you are aware that Nageki and Dageki are the exact same jokes, right?

Punny names are much cooler when you don't understand them.

Also, Rukario is betteru.

Dr. Leggs
3rd February 2011, 9:12 PM
Oh, and does anybody else think Tynamo's cry sounds inadvertently like a Geiger counter?

Tyrannotaur
3rd February 2011, 11:02 PM
Oh, and does anybody else think Tynamo's cry sounds inadvertently like a Geiger counter?

That's pretty awesome. Never noticed that before, and that really shames my time spent with the fallout series. All the more reason to use him in March.

For the lazy-
Tynamo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZJWjTc2XWE)and Geiger Counter. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YW33tWPX34)

-;248;

Dr. Leggs
3rd February 2011, 11:06 PM
Goodness, somebody's made a video for every cry...?

Just so everyone knows, Psypoke.com's Psydex has each Pokemon's cry on their respective page.

Grei
3rd February 2011, 11:07 PM
The name's I will NEVER get used to are Sawk and Troh, I don't even know if that's how they're spelled, they're always gonna be Nageki and Dageki for me.

Nageki = Throh, and Dageki = Sawk. Their names are direct translations of their Japanese meanings.

Also, what Sab_Mas said.

LexSuicune
3rd February 2011, 11:08 PM
Those are spelled correctly.

Throh is fine with me, Sawk is the one that's a little meh. Stryke would've fit more, I think. But you are aware that Nageki and Dageki are the exact same jokes, right?

I don't mind the jokes, I just think they sound too pedestrian in english.

Ophie
4th February 2011, 12:25 AM
To the Japanese, they sound even more pedestrian--those are the straight-up words. Imagine if the Pokémon were known as "Throw" and "Sock." That's how it is there.

LexSuicune
4th February 2011, 12:44 AM
I understand, but that doesn't mean they sound better IN ENGLISH for me XD.

Dr. Leggs
4th February 2011, 12:57 AM
In LexSuicune's defense, even though they sound unimaginative in both languages doesn't mean they can't be complained about. It's fine to complain about the originality of the names if the Japanese names were bad in the first place. XD

I mean, I'm basically over them now, but 'Sawk' will likely always rub me the wrong way.

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
4th February 2011, 1:12 AM
At least they weren't called Throw and Strike. That pedestrian enough for you? Also, Pawniard and Bisharp. I don't think they had chess references in Japanese, why add it in English?

R_N
4th February 2011, 1:13 AM
I think I might name my Sawk "Stryke"
I just think it fits better for someone whose style is mainly striking things. Sawking makes me think of boxing.

Alternatively I will name Throh "Rawkem" and Sawk "Sawkem"

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
4th February 2011, 1:15 AM
Yea, Sawk is Karate, and Throh is Sumo iirc.

Dr. Leggs
4th February 2011, 1:17 AM
At least they weren't called Throw and Strike. That pedestrian enough for you?
The "they could have been worse" argument doesn't really apply to names, as every Pokemon name could have been much worse.

Also, Pawniard and Bisharp. I don't think they had chess references in Japanese, why add it in English?
Because English produced the opportunity to create these references, which made sense as pertaining to the Pokemon, and the Japanese puns were harder to translate than other Pokemon.

I think I might name my Sawk "Stryke"
I just think it fits better for someone whose style is mainly striking things. Sawking makes me think of boxing.

Alternatively I will name Throh "Rawkem" and Sawk "Sawkem"

Rawkem and Sawkem are fantastic nicknames. I might just want to use them now.

bulber
4th February 2011, 1:18 AM
At least they weren't called Throw and Strike. That pedestrian enough for you? Also, Pawniard and Bisharp. I don't think they had chess references in Japanese, why add it in English?

Wow, I didn't catch that chess reference!

One of the names that rubs off on me poorly is Serperior. It's two letters away from Rhyperior!

I think I'm going to THROW THROH and SAWK in the hamper with my dirty SOCKS.

Dr. Leggs
4th February 2011, 1:18 AM

Throh is Judo.

R_N
4th February 2011, 1:19 AM

Throh is judo, actually. Preleak I think S_M and I thought maybe he would even be called Judoh.
(I thought maybe Sawk would be Karatay or something along those lines)

BCVM22
4th February 2011, 1:23 AM
Also, Pawniard and Bisharp. I don't think they had chess references in Japanese, why add it in English?

It's not as if they're nonsensical. Pawniard are the foot soldiers, the troops, the pawns; Bisharp are the commanders. Both Pokémon are said to fight and hunt in packs, Pawniard's White Pokédex entry mentions that it follows Bisharp's orders and Bisharp's White entry mentions that a pack will consist of several Pawniard and one Bisharp to lead them.

It's not all that farfetched at all.

R_N
4th February 2011, 1:26 AM
It's not as if they're nonsensical. Pawniard are the foot soldiers, the troops, the pawns; Bisharp are the commanders. Both Pokémon are said to fight and hunt in packs, Pawniard's White Pokédex entry mentions that it follows Bisharp's orders and Bisharp's White entry mentions that a pack will consist of several Pawniard and one Bisharp to lead them.

It's not all that farfetched at all.

Meanwhile, a King or Queen reference would be needlessly gender unneutral and be hard to pun into something like sharp.

bulber
4th February 2011, 1:30 AM
Meanwhile, a King or Queen reference would be needlessly gender unneutral and be hard to pun into something like sharp.

Maybe a Generation VI gender specific evo-

Queenade (Queen+Blade)

and

Kingber (King+Saber)

Dr. Leggs
4th February 2011, 1:45 AM
Maybe. Bisharp's stats would make it hard to justify an evolution, though.

Grei
4th February 2011, 4:54 AM
Maybe. Bisharp's stats would make it hard to justify an evolution, though.

Unless it was some sort of split evolution.

But that's discussion for another year. For now, I have to say that I really have grown to like Stunfisk's derpiness. Its face is weird but I like the thing. I contemplated using it for BW, but I have no room for it, even though it's a Ground-type.

One of the names that rubs off on me poorly is Serperior. It's two letters away from Rhyperior!

*ahem* I believe it's three letters away...

help
4th February 2011, 6:08 AM
has a U.S release date been confirmed yet? I've stayed away from all news relating to the 5th gen, so that it will be a surprise like the 1st gen was to me, and I'll be able to actually enjoy pokemon again. The 4th gen was a let down...

Chimchar15
4th February 2011, 6:17 AM
has a U.S release date been confirmed yet? I've stayed away from all news relating to the 5th gen, so that it will be a surprise like the 1st gen was to me, and I'll be able to actually enjoy pokemon again. The 4th gen was a let down...

Yes March 6th. Just go to the official Pokemon website for more info if you don't want to be too spoiled. It will only have the pre-release info there.

sbktdreed
4th February 2011, 7:21 AM
The following are the pokemon I'm questioning between Japan and English names of: National #-Japanese Name-English Name-General Reason
524-Dangoro-Roggenrola
552-Waruvile-Krokorok-Crocodiles are already done. Should at leased based on the caiman.
609-Shandera-Chandelure
621-Crimgan-Druddigon
626-Baffuron-Bouffalant

tmega90
4th February 2011, 10:48 AM
The following are the pokemon I'm questioning between Japan and American names of: National #-Japan Name-American Name-General Reason
524-Dangoro-Roggenrola-Longer American Name
552-Waruvile-Krokorok-Crocodiles are already done. Should at leased based on the caiman.
553-Waruvial-Krookodile-Same as 552, but should based on the Baryonyx or a Gavial.
563-Desukan-Cofagrigus-Longer American Name, but makes better since on the name than 524.
609-Shandera-Chandelure-Longer American Name.
621-Crimgan-Druddigon-Longer American Name.
626-Baffuron-Bouffalant-Longer American Name.

It doesn't matter if they already did Crocodiles, they can do whatever they want and its different typing. And so what if the names are longer what does that have to do with anything.

Zhanton
4th February 2011, 10:54 AM
The following are the pokemon I'm questioning between Japan and American names of: National #-Japan Name-American Name-General Reason
553-Waruvial-Krookodile-Same as 552, but should based on the Baryonyx or a Gavial.
563-Desukan-Cofagrigus-Longer American Name, but makes better since on the name than 524.
Questioning the authenticity of the confirmed English names is stupid for a variety of reasons, but questioning their authenticity because the English [not American, ENGLISH] names are longer than their Japanese counterparts is possibly the most nonsensical and stupid reason I've heard. And that says a lot about your train of thought.

Dragonairlover
4th February 2011, 12:06 PM

They've done moth's before with Dustox and Mothim, does that mean Volcarona isn't a moth? Nope, so your logic behind this doesn't make any sense, plus with all the confirmed names matching up with the names on the list, I highly doubt these names are fake, and if they are well, I've just been mind ****ed.

Dr. Leggs
4th February 2011, 12:44 PM
How is "The English name is longer than the Japanese name" evidence that the names are fake...?

Sonans/Wobbuffet says hello. As do myriad other Pokemon.

Tyrannotaur
4th February 2011, 6:55 PM

I think you guys may be misunderstanding him, which isn't hard to do since he didn't explain himself very well. I believe that he is listing the names he doesn't like, not saying they are fake. He is comparing the names to the japanese names which he deems superior.

As for Krokorok and Krookodile being referenced more to other influences in their design, that wasn't going to happen. Crocodiles and Aligators are the two most popular crocodilians of the order. While I'm sure people will know what a caiman is, they are more likely to reference crocodile over it. Plus Crocodile fits with the pun of including crook in the word. Yes the Japanese name uses gharial over crocodile, and that works fine for the Japanese name, but the English localization team choose to stick with making a reference to its burgular-like mask and Crocodile works better with Crook than caiman, Baryonyx, and gharial. Basically it sucks you don't like the name but it looks like you'll have to live with it or resort to nicknaming.

-;248;

sbktdreed
4th February 2011, 9:44 PM
My apologies with my message, I already edit it. I switched American with English and I removed #553 & #563 to my list. The ones I that are still on the list are no longer there because the English is longer than the Japanese, but I'm still confused on the name choice.

Dr. Leggs
4th February 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm still confused, why does a longer English name mean it's bad?

alexcat493
5th February 2011, 1:18 AM
Did anyone actually know about most of those English names before I posted them? Did Serebii know?

Zhanton
5th February 2011, 1:22 AM
Did anyone actually know about most of those English names before I posted them? Did Serebii know?

o.O"
Everyone knew in early January. Serebii only recently confirmed them, although they were practically confirmed a few days after the leaked list appeared.

SharpedoSteve
5th February 2011, 1:26 AM
Most people on here have known about them for about 2-3 week's maybe more i can't remember when they leaked.

Disgruntled Goat
5th February 2011, 2:25 AM
It was just over 3 weeks ago (around 12-13 January) when they were leaked. By that weekend they were on practically every fansite except Serebii and Bulbapedia. Supposedly Joe (Serebii) knew about the names before Christmas, but only recently posted them, for reasons not entirely clear.

MetalFlygon08
5th February 2011, 3:12 AM
I'm banking legal reasons.

Electric
5th February 2011, 5:21 AM
Out of the 3 monkeys, I like Pansage the best cause it fits the most with me. Simisage is also cool.

Pansear is all right. Simisear is always having a terrible hair day.

Panpour... meh.

Uh oh Simipour... you are so weird and awkward. If you were a person, you wouldn't have any friends because people would think you're creepy.

Other random Pokemon:

Scraggy, you're so awesome.

Scrafty, you're a legend. You look like a rapper. At the end of each anime episode, you should have your own rap block where you rap. I like your "yellow pants."

Samurott: haha is this a joke?

Keldeo: Unicorns in Pokemon?

Beartic: nice

Palpitoad: o_0

Tyrannotaur
5th February 2011, 5:28 AM
Keldeo: Unicorns in Pokemon?

http://pokiesnexttopmodel.webs.com/photos/PNTM-Cycle-1-Models/rapidash.jpg

-;248;

R_N
5th February 2011, 5:29 AM

-;248;

More likely than you'd think!

BW202
5th February 2011, 7:21 AM

-;248;

That doesn't count, it's from the first gen! Those are all original designs and are so much better than the Digimon in the 5th gen!!1!1
/sarcastic rant

LexSuicune
5th February 2011, 10:32 PM
Keldeo has to be my favourite Pokemon this time around.

Awesome stats and typing, a KILLER movest, specially against Darkrai.

Beautiful design, and I'm hoping the next film centers around him, Virizion, Cobalon and Terakion.

R_N
6th February 2011, 12:39 AM

Beautiful design, and I'm hoping the next film centers around him, Virizion, Cobalon and Terakion.

Actually, its moveset is somewhat lackluster for its stats. It has really nice Special Attack, but only really has Hydro Pump/Surf, Hidden Power, and Sword of Mystery to use. Everything else runs off the lackluster Attack stat

Bizarre that it doesn't get Ice Beam like virtually every other water type ever.

also I'm pretty sure Darkrai could handle Kelido just fine

CaptainCombusken
6th February 2011, 11:31 AM
Keldeo can also learn Boiling Water, Hyper beam and Focus Blast...

So yeah, not fantastic, but a definite threat I say.

Dr. Leggs
6th February 2011, 5:18 PM
Keldeo's got just enough in its movepool to make it work. I'm a big fan.

bulber
6th February 2011, 5:59 PM

He's My Little Pony-Pokemon style!

I didn't like him at first, but he's growing on me. I wonder what the event that will get him will be?

Ophie
6th February 2011, 11:35 PM
Hey, regarding the Toys R Us Reshiram/Zekrom pre-order bonus...I checked the 8 closest Toys R Us to where I live, and none of them have that wall cling. Is it a regional thing? Does anyone know if their local Toys R Us stores have the wall clings?

bulber
6th February 2011, 11:44 PM
Hey, regarding the Toys R Us Reshiram/Zekrom pre-order bonus...I checked the 8 closest Toys R Us to where I live, and none of them have that wall cling. Is it a regional thing? Does anyone know if their local Toys R Us stores have the wall clings?

I'm no expert, but they might not have recieved them. I bet Dawn would tell you,

"No need to worry, they'll have them by the time BW come out!"

BCVM22
6th February 2011, 11:46 PM
Is it a regional thing? Does anyone know if their local Toys R Us stores have the wall clings?

No store will have them a month in advance. They ship with the games to stores so that you can collect them when you pick up your copy.

lindsy95
7th February 2011, 12:35 AM
Yeah, you get the bonus when you pick up the game, not when you preorder it.

Ophie
7th February 2011, 10:29 AM
No store will have them a month in advance. They ship with the games to stores so that you can collect them when you pick up your copy.

Well, no, I mean that at the Toys R Us stores I visited, no one knew anything about the wall clings or that they even existed. I also checked the newspaper ads, and while the layout was very similar to what we've seen here, with the blue bubble-burst shape talking about pre-ordering Black and White on the left and the red background on the right about Ash's Pikachu, there was absolutely no mention of the wall clings. Where you'd see them on that image (in the middle), there was the picture of Pikachu instead.

Anyway, it turns out the Toys R Us stores were simply notified later than whatever stores people found out about this in. This week's newspaper ad had a special spot specifically about the wall clings. That being said, the Toys R Us store I visited (Burbank, CA) had no sign or anything of it. Turns out I was the first person to ask of such a thing, and she and the store manager confirmed it by looking at a print-out of this week's newspaper ad.

I certainly hope it won't be the case like what happens all too often with Toys R Us and preorder bonuses: I preorder and they tell me to pick it up with the game. When I go to pick it up, they tell me I should've received it with the preorder. This has happened with Pokémon XD, Super Mario Sunshine, and Zelda: Wind Waker. This time, I'll print out the newspaper ad page to prove it so it doesn't happen again.

Poke_Mania97
7th February 2011, 6:00 PM
what do you guys call Zoroark? I mean me and my mates called it Zo Rork, but in the English trailer for the movie, they say Zoro-Ark

The Eleventh
7th February 2011, 6:52 PM
I used to call it "Zo-roark", but it's best to go with the official pronunciation, which is "Zoro-ark". The second one actually makes more sense, because the name comes from "zorro", which means fox in Spanish.

More Pokémon names are "confirmed", along with moves: Link (http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=23524)

Sponge
7th February 2011, 7:13 PM
"Zoro-ark"? Really....

I'm not pronouncing it like that. Besides I think pronunciations are still open for interpretation because even the anime and video games conflict with pronunciations sometimes. Like with Arceus.

I'm pronouncing it: Zoe-roark

Cobalt_Latios
7th February 2011, 8:50 PM
"Zoro-ark"? Really....

I'm not pronouncing it like that. Besides I think pronunciations are still open for interpretation because even the anime and video games conflict with pronunciations sometimes. Like with Arceus.

I'm pronouncing it: Zoe-roark
Surprisingly, I find [Zoh-Roark] kind of "forced" as it were. I use Zoro-ark as mine. But hey, I actually find Ark-Ee-us easier than Ar-see-us. Then again...

Also, I like some of the new attack names, like Boiling Water being called "Scald", Vengeance being "Retaliate" is a nice translation, and Evil Eye gets to be "Hex", which is simpler and still makes sense.

Not bad.

/CL

Dr. Leggs
7th February 2011, 9:03 PM
Zoe-Roark doesn't make sense. Zorro from fox, -ark from dark. Zorro-ark. When the etymology is so clear-cut it's very hard to make the claim that it's "up to interpretation" a valid one.

Zhanton
8th February 2011, 11:16 AM
Zoe-Roark doesn't make sense. Zorro from fox, -ark from dark. Zorro-ark. When the etymology is so clear-cut it's very hard to make the claim that it's "up to interpretation" a valid one.

Zoroark, at first glance, looks like to would be pronounced 'zor-roark'. Also, using your reasoning, Treecko (tree + gecko) should be pronounced 'tree-ecko' and Blastoise (blast + tortoise) should be pronounced 'blast-tiss' with the 'tiss' similar to tortoise.

Dr. Leggs
8th February 2011, 1:55 PM
Zoroark, at first glance, looks like to would be pronounced 'zor-roark'.
Not really. Zoro-ark is not unintuitive or difficult to infer.

Also, using your reasoning, Treecko (tree + gecko) should be pronounced 'tree-ecko' and Blastoise (blast + tortoise) should be pronounced 'blast-tiss' with the 'tiss' similar to tortoise.

Tree + cko = Tree-cko. Depends on whether or not you're associating the second e with Tree or gecko, which makes sense for the former. Tree-cko. Tortoise is a case of English being pronounced differently than how it's spelled as it isn't a particularly phonetic language. But in Zoroark's case, pronouncing it Zoe-roark is completely disregarding its etymology. It's the wrong pronunciation.

CaptainCombusken
8th February 2011, 4:38 PM
Definitely pronounced Zorro-ark... that's what sounds easier, cooler and better to say imo.

One note while we're on pronunciation though; I watched the ad for B/W on Pokejungle and the region name is what got me weirded out. See, I've been pronouncing it as "Un-ova" ("Un" and in "Fun" and nova as in "Supernova") not You-novv-ar... I guess it make sense with "Unity" and "New", but I was slightly irked...

Dr. Leggs
8th February 2011, 6:34 PM
It's definitely not 'Un', as it either comes from the Latin unum (oo-num) or the English unity (you-nity).

Poke_Mania97
8th February 2011, 7:01 PM
[QUOTE=Dr. Leggs;11942767]Not really. Zoro-ark is not unintuitive or difficult to infer.

Actually i disagree with you and agree with the other person. at first me,my friends and loads of other people thought it was Zor-roark. although the official name is Zoro-ark

Sponge
8th February 2011, 7:24 PM
Not really. Zoro-ark is not unintuitive or difficult to infer.

I think it's a lot less obvious than Zor-roark though.

I'll still use Zo-roark, Zoro-oark doesn't sit well on my tongue.

Definitely pronounced Zorro-ark... that's what sounds easier, cooler and better to say imo.
irked...

I don't see how it's easier at all. Since Zor-roark is two syllables while Zorro-ark is three syllables. Plus I find Zor-roark much easier to say and a lot better too.

Poke_Mania97
8th February 2011, 7:30 PM
I think it's a lot less obvious than Zor-roark though.

I don't see how it's easier at all. Since Zor-roark is two syllables while Zorro-ark is three syllables. Plus I find Zor-roark much easier to say and a lot better too.

me too, for the same reasons. sort of like how in the trailer for the arceus movie, the narrator said Ar-say-us

GaZsTiC
8th February 2011, 8:44 PM

That's because it's the wrong pronunciation.

Zorro-ark, not Zorro-o-ark.

Lorde
8th February 2011, 8:57 PM
I've always pronounced it "Zorro-ark", myself. I understood the origin of the name when it was revealed back around this time last year, so I sort of knew how it would be pronounced. I think I've been pronouncing the name Zorua correctly, though I could be wrong (it's "Zorro-a", right?). Anyway, people can go ahead and pronounce the names of these fox Pokemon however they'd like. It doesn't really bother me.

Dr. Leggs
8th February 2011, 9:54 PM
That's like pronouncing Spearow and Fearow as spay-ARE-oh and fay-ARE-oh. But, obviously, they come from spear and fear and aren't pronounced like that.

"Zoe-roark" simply doesn't make sense, and is incorrect.

kogawolfman
9th February 2011, 12:34 AM
In many languages, if the vowel is important enough to be present in the word, it is important enough to be pronounced. Given the Japanese origin of Zoroark, where this rule should apply, the correct pronunciation would be Zo-ro-ark.

Dr. Leggs
9th February 2011, 12:46 AM
Exactly. The Japanese name is zo - ro - a(a) - ku. If it were Zoe-roark, the Japanese would be zo - ro(u) - ku, I believe (could Sab_Mas or anyone else who knows Japanese confirm this?).

Ophie
9th February 2011, 1:57 AM
I get the feeling this issue is pargely dependent on if you grew up with a lot of Spanish or not. I mean, in most parts of the USA and UK, if the secondary language is not Spanish, it's French, and the two languages have little in common as far as pronunciation standards go.

Zoroark's Japanese name is ゾロアーク, correct? If so, that's transliterated as "zoroaaku" and thus the proper pronunciation should be "ZOH-roh-ark."

R_N
9th February 2011, 1:58 AM
I get the feeling this issue is pargely dependent on if you grew up with a lot of Spanish or not. I mean, in most parts of the USA and UK, if the secondary language is not Spanish, it's French, and the two languages have little in common as far as pronunciation standards go.

Zoroark's Japanese name is ゾロアーク, correct? If so, that's transliterated as "zoroaaku" and thus the proper pronunciation should be "ZOH-roh-ark."

iirc from the Japanese trailers it was more ZOR ARK

W.T.
9th February 2011, 2:19 AM
I pronounce Unova "You-know-va" and Zoroark "Zorro-ark", if anyone cares.

GaZsTiC
9th February 2011, 3:05 AM
iirc from the Japanese trailers it was more ZOR ARK

Well, it was more like ZOR-ro-AAKU.

And in the movie itself, original and English, the correct pronunciation used is Zorro-ark. There is no debate here.

Rikudo Sennin
9th February 2011, 4:52 AM
Well, given the fact that the latest movie aired in cartoon network recently the official pronunciation is definitely Zoro-ark (soft r, not like the spanish rr, and then ark)
Zoe-roark just sounds weird, I have a hard time seeing it as anything other than Zoro-ark, even before it was confirmed.

Sponge
9th February 2011, 8:16 AM
That's because it's the wrong pronunciation.

Zorro-ark, not Zorro-o-ark.

Typo, Zorro-ark still doesn't sit well on my tongue.

I don't pronouce it exactly like Zor-roark.....more like: Zoar (rhymes with soar)-roar-k

I don't say pokemon names out loud that often anyway, it's more a kind of in my head pronunciation.

LexSuicune
9th February 2011, 5:48 PM
I say it the way I think it is, Zo-ro-ark

Maxim
9th February 2011, 6:02 PM
That (in)famous April Fools when all DP character, location, move and item names were revealed was 22 days before the games' American release.

Today we're 22 days ahead of European release and 24 days of the American one.

Well, this has probably no meaning but some people like numbers and patterns.

And this day has to come someday. I don't believe that we're not going to have all the names revealed until the official release.

Time is passing fast, we're closer and closer.

Dr. Leggs
9th February 2011, 6:23 PM
Serebii will probably reveal all the attack, ability, location and character names prior to the EU release.

Missingno. Master
10th February 2011, 2:13 AM
Serebii will probably reveal all the attack, ability, location and character names prior to the EU release.

He told me we're getting the attack names March 4th. That unfortunately means we're not getting early. As for character, location, and ability names, however, I dunno, but I wouldn't doubt it if they were the same day as the attacks.

I want him to at least reveal Gear Saucer's English name, because Pokemon.com's already shown a pic of Klink using it on Snivy, just without showing the attack name. It's practically revealed as it is, so I doubt there'd be any harm in that.

rocky505
10th February 2011, 2:30 AM
I am wondering if Lightning strike or Blue flame will change.

Dr. Leggs
10th February 2011, 2:40 AM
I don't see any reason for Gear Saucer to change, seems fine as is.

R_N
10th February 2011, 4:15 AM
Well it could change. Perhaps Gear Strike or Gear Run or Running Gear or Klink Klank or...

Sponge
10th February 2011, 8:19 AM

There's many moves and abilities that seemed fine as they were, but were changed anyway.

Disgruntled Goat
10th February 2011, 3:05 PM
So another gym leader name was confirmed - Lenora instead of Aloe. I guess that goes some way to confirming the names leaked last week on PokeJungle (http://pokejungle.net/2011/02/04/all-english-gym-leader-names/).

Sakrey
10th February 2011, 3:45 PM
NoE just confirmed the Victini event to start on the release date of the games (4th March) and ending on the 22nd April. They specify that in addition of the WFC event, Victini will be available also as giveaway in selected retailers.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2011/one-of-a-kind_pokemon_available_to_early_owners_of_pokemon_ black_version_and_pokemon_white_version_31529.html

Isn't it awesome ?

Dr. Leggs
10th February 2011, 4:11 PM
This has been known for quite a while, Sakrey.

Sakrey
10th February 2011, 4:19 PM
Oh my. I though that the part about games stores' giveaways was not mentioned yet.
My bad for duplicating old news p:

Dr. Leggs
10th February 2011, 6:33 PM
Oh, actually, that may be new news. My bad. ^^;

But we've known the Wi-Fi event dates for a while.

Anyway, that's cool. Is it the Liberty Pass download or an actual Victini (in stores)?

The Eleventh
10th February 2011, 7:25 PM

Anyway, that's cool. Is it the Liberty Pass download or an actual Victini (in stores)?

The article implies it's the Liberty Pass.

Hejiru
11th February 2011, 12:17 AM

You download the Liberty Pass, and the Liberty Pass lets you catch Victini in-game.

bulber
11th February 2011, 12:18 AM
So another gym leader name was confirmed - Lenora instead of Aloe. I guess that goes some way to confirming the names leaked last week on PokeJungle (http://pokejungle.net/2011/02/04/all-english-gym-leader-names/).

Lenora, not a bad name. It's better than Burgh anyday.

help
11th February 2011, 12:29 AM
Yes March 6th. Just go to the official Pokemon website for more info if you don't want to be too spoiled. It will only have the pre-release info there.

thanks Chimchar! I'm too scared to go to any website because I really don't want to know anythinggg about this generation. I want it to be a TOTAL surprise. Don't you remember when you played red version and you had no preconceptions about what the game was about? And it was such an amazingggg game!! I want to relive that with this generation.

R_N
11th February 2011, 12:59 AM
thanks Chimchar! I'm too scared to go to any website because I really don't want to know anythinggg about this generation. I want it to be a TOTAL surprise. Don't you remember when you played red version and you had no preconceptions about what the game was about? And it was such an amazingggg game!! I want to relive that with this generation.

You might want to get off the forum asap, then. Lots of avatars and signatures and things

Ophie
11th February 2011, 4:12 AM
Yeah, I was going to ask what you're doing here if you don't want anything spoiled. People have stopped using spoiler tags for stuff. (Don't look at my signature...Then again, you can't really make sense out of it until you're already familiar with those Pokémon.)

The Eleventh
11th February 2011, 8:38 PM
If Black and White are 3DS-enhanced, it'd probably be the use of SpotPass and StreetPass. I couldn't imagine any other added features.

omegahealer
11th February 2011, 8:50 PM
iirc didn't they have passerby mode on DSi already? or something similar for black/white in the c-gear?

The Eleventh
11th February 2011, 9:08 PM
iirc didn't they have passerby mode on DSi already? or something similar for black/white in the c-gear?

Some games have a similar feature, like Nintendogs, but no, the actual console doesn't have a feature like StreetPass.

tmega90
11th February 2011, 9:53 PM
I wonder what the 3DS enhancements are. They probably are not much, but we will see soon.

Kuraikarasu
12th February 2011, 3:59 AM
could be an exclusive minigame over the c gear

Maverik
12th February 2011, 4:09 AM
Most likely the top screen will be stretched out to fit the resolution of the 3DS.

BCVM22
12th February 2011, 4:31 AM
Most likely the top screen will be stretched out to fit the resolution of the 3DS.

Given what the top screen of the 3DS is, that would not be doing Black and White any favors visually. It would not look good.

IGN's own attempt at an FAQ, the source of all of this, says "no graphic enhancements." Assuming IGN isn't mistakenly referring to the DSi enhancements involving the cameras and microphone that the 3DS can in turn replicate, anything the 3DS can do for Black and White would likely involve the enhancements to local wireless communication that the 3DS can facilitate, stuff like the StreetPass and all that. Keep in mind, the DSi can do most of what the 3DS can, at least to some degree, as far as hardware extras go.

And all of this is putting aside the fact that the games have been poured over byte by byte and no real surprises were found, and the fact that the 3DS is out in Japan in just over two weeks and the Japanese sides of both Pokémon and Nintendo haven't mentioned anything of this sort.

Maverik
12th February 2011, 4:32 AM
I think someone said IGN updated the article, removing the part about enhancements and talking about the VC instead.

BCVM22
12th February 2011, 4:34 AM
And so they did.

Rentaline99
12th February 2011, 3:14 PM
Rumor has it that there will be no Third Installment of Pokemon Black and White. I haven't found any other source besides this: http://nintendo3dsblog.com/there-wil...o-pokemon-gray

It could always be screwed up translation, however.

Serebii
12th February 2011, 3:27 PM
Wasn't there an interview in October/November which said the third game would give more backstory on N and Ghetsis?

Rentaline99
12th February 2011, 3:44 PM
Good point. I'll let things lay low a bit before I go all conspiracy.
...Been a strange day for Pokemon news.

Serebii
12th February 2011, 4:29 PM
Besides, even if not, it'd be simple marketing.

Games are coming out in 3 weeks in the UK (where the interview took place), you don't say "Yeah, we're making a better game"

KYUREM
12th February 2011, 5:06 PM
There was? I never heard about that. And who's Ghetsis? N i know of, but this "Ghetsis" is new to me.
Also, did they confirm what level you get Genesect at? Im eager for one, and i heard how to get Kyurem.

Endless
12th February 2011, 5:19 PM
There was? I never heard about that. And who's Ghetsis? N i know of, but this "Ghetsis" is new to me.
Also, did they confirm what level you get Genesect at? Im eager for one, and i heard how to get Kyurem.
Ghetsis is the true leader of team plasma, you know the other green long haired guy. We don't know genesects level since it isn't catchable in-game, and probably will not be given out for years.

Rentaline99
12th February 2011, 5:41 PM
Besides, even if not, it'd be simple marketing.

Games are coming out in 3 weeks in the UK (where the interview took place), you don't say "Yeah, we're making a better game"

Now that I think of it, GameFreak also said that no previous character would appear in Black and White. And we all know how that ended.
I'll stop for now.

Kreis
12th February 2011, 5:45 PM
Now that I think of it, GameFreak also said that no previous character would appear in Black and White. And we all know how that ended.
I'll stop for now.

When did they say that? From my understanding, it was simply Pokemon that were no longer going to appear (pre-game), not human characters.

Rentaline99
12th February 2011, 6:21 PM
When did they say that? From my understanding, it was simply Pokemon that were no longer going to appear (pre-game), not human characters.

I believe it was said amongst Masuda's blog, I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Endless
12th February 2011, 6:26 PM
I believe it was said amongst Masuda's blog, I'm sure I read it somewhere.
I am pretty sure he only said that no old pokemon would appear during the story line.

Blueysicle
12th February 2011, 6:29 PM
It was on Pokemon Sunday a couple weeks before B/W's release in Japan. He said that, "no old characters like Oak will appear", not that there would be no old characters period.

Rentaline99
12th February 2011, 6:48 PM
^There it is.
My mistake

LexSuicune
12th February 2011, 6:57 PM
It would be incredibly ODD for there not being a third game, besides, we still have Kyurem's hidden moves and a few plot holes that need improving.

I'm sure there'll be one. Even from a marketing standpoint it's a good idea to releease one.

Serebii
12th February 2011, 6:59 PM
I guess I'll have to make a post pointing all this out. I HATE having to post stuff which isn't factual on the site

KYUREM
12th February 2011, 9:17 PM
Oh, the other long green haired fellow. And Oak won't return? D=. Oak was my favorite prof.

(Yes, even though im new on these forums doesn't mean im new to pokemon. I've been playing since Yellow.)

R_N
12th February 2011, 9:29 PM
It was on Pokemon Sunday a couple weeks before B/W's release in Japan. He said that, "no old characters like Oak will appear", not that there would be no old characters period.

Maybe they meant literally old.
That rocket guy, Looker, Cynthia, and Caitlin are all fairly young, after all.

Endless
12th February 2011, 9:33 PM
Maybe they meant literally old.
That rocket guy, Looker, Cynthia, and Caitlin are all fairly young, after all.
I never thought of the idea that many of the "old" characters might be dead. How long time are we speculating it is between all prior 5th gen games and 5th gen?

MetalFlygon08
12th February 2011, 9:40 PM
I thought I heard it was around 5 years.

KYUREM
12th February 2011, 9:42 PM
Good question. If all the "old" characters are dead, which seems to be the case, thats why they aren't returning. And when i say "it seems to be the case," I mean this gen is the only that has a young prof. Snowyarticuno, you may have been dead on there.

Grei
12th February 2011, 9:44 PM
I never thought of the idea that many of the "old" characters might be dead. How long time are we speculating it is between all prior 5th gen games and 5th gen?

It's hard to tell. We know it has to be more than a year, since Caitlin looks very different between the 4th Gen and the 5th Gen... but at the same time, it probably can't be, like, ten years, because Looker and Cynthia don't appear to be any different (although... changes in age would be especially hard to show on Looker).

I would say 2-4 years. But that's just my guess. Maybe there's other information that shows a more definite span of years.

I doubt characters like Oak would be dead anyway. This is Pokemon--the bodies of the few "dead" characters we know of are never recovered so it's always left up in the air on whether a character is "dead" or "disappeared." I doubt they'd explicitly say if Oak was dead or not.

R_N
12th February 2011, 9:47 PM
It's hard to tell. We know it has to be more than a year, since Caitlin looks very different between the 4th Gen and the 5th Gen... but at the same time, it probably can't be, like, ten years, because Looker and Cynthia don't appear to be any different (although... changes in age would be especially hard to show on Looker).

I would say 2-4 years. But that's just my guess. Maybe there's other information that shows a more definite span of years.

I think people say ~5 because, of all people, the engrishy Rocket grunt from HGSS/GSC. He moved (back to?) the Unova region, and settled down with a wife and had a kid. 4 would also work, though.

edit: Also I doubt any of the older guys are dead by this point.

Grei
12th February 2011, 9:48 PM
I think people say ~5 because, of all people, the engrishy Rocket grunt from HGSS/GSC. He moved (back to?) the Unova region, and settled down with a wife and had a kid. 4 would also work, though.

edit: Also I doubt any of the older guys are dead by this point.

Can the kid talk? I suppose that would mean around five years or more... unless that Rocket guy already had a wife and kid during GCSHGSS

Mister_SGG
12th February 2011, 9:49 PM
Good question. If all the "old" characters are dead, which seems to be the case, thats why they aren't returning. And when i say "it seems to be the case," I mean this gen is the only that has a young prof. Snowyarticuno, you may have been dead on there.

You calling Birch old, foo?

KYUREM
12th February 2011, 9:52 PM
Ahh. Thank's for pointing that out, i completley forgot about Birch.
I was never big on R/S/E.

Grei
12th February 2011, 9:59 PM
Birch and Elm aren't old at all. And I don't think Oak and Rowan died within a five year span. No new characters appear in Unova because it's not a part of the Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh nation, but instead a part of its own nation.

Appearances by Professors makes sense when they can freely and easily travel between the four regions of "Poke-Japan." Having them appear in another nation makes less sense and is less likely to occur.

Off-topic: I wonder if the fact that BW is set ahead of the 4th Gen, with the 4th Gen being ahead of the 3rd Gen means anything as far as RS remakes. Perhaps the RS remakes will instead be sequels.

Endless
12th February 2011, 10:04 PM
Birch and Elm aren't old at all. And I don't think Oak and Rowan died within a five year span. No new characters appear in Unova because it's not a part of the Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh nation, but instead a part of its own nation.

Appearances by Professors makes sense when they can freely and easily travel between the four regions of "Poke-Japan." Having them appear in another nation makes less sense and is less likely to occur.

Off-topic: I wonder if the fact that BW is set ahead of the 4th Gen, with the 4th Gen being ahead of the 3rd Gen means anything as far as RS remakes. Perhaps the RS remakes will instead be sequels.

Yeah, I don't think any of the profs are dead, more like Agatha(which isn't even a E4 in Jotho), and Fuji.

Why can't they just make a new time capsule to go with the RS remakes?

KYUREM
12th February 2011, 10:04 PM
That does make sense....

GalladeX
12th February 2011, 10:06 PM
I doubt any of the Professors would be dead.
Professor Rowan, the oldest Professor, would only be 65 if it was a 5 year timeskip, and that's not super old...

And if it is a 5 year skip, then Red is 19. And he's still on a mountain?

Although 5 years seems a little long. Cynthia's, what, in her early twenties? She didn't seem to age much, or at all, really, between DPPtHGSS and BW.

Grei
12th February 2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I don't think any of the profs are dead, more like Agatha(which isn't even a E4 in Jotho), and Fuji.

Why can't they just make a new time capsule to go with the RS remakes?

Well, that's also a possibility. I was just thinking out loud... and wishing... out loud. (:/)

I mean, a RS sequel would be very awesome, although it'd kind of go against the purpose of remakes in the first place.

Mario with Lasers
12th February 2011, 10:09 PM
I doubt they'd explicitly say if Oak was dead or not.

Besides, wasn't Oak a highlander anyway.

lol WHAT

KYUREM
12th February 2011, 10:12 PM

Agreeable, now that i think on it. What about Genesect?

Isn't it a new mewtwo?

What bug was it formed from?

GaZsTiC
12th February 2011, 10:36 PM
I mean, a RS sequel would be very awesome, although it'd kind of go against the purpose of remakes in the first place.

Which is?

I always hold the regard that remakes are made to make money from both ex-fans and the younger fans who didn't play the originals.

Grei
12th February 2011, 11:06 PM
Which is?

I always hold the regard that remakes are made to make money from both ex-fans and the younger fans who didn't play the originals.

Well... yeah, that is a big reason for them.

But it's also to not alienate fans, I imagine. And I can't see a sequel, even if only loosely based on RS, doing much as far as keeping fans from feeling alienated.

KYUREM
13th February 2011, 12:19 AM
An RS remake would be hard. Not game wise, title wise. The only thing that would be is Ruby Red, which is just strange.