PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Scizor sprite.

-Raiga-
24th September 2010, 1:43 AM
I figured instead of complaining about there being no activity I would actually do a sprite for once.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Bamboogod/Super_scizor_stab3421974903-iaza.gif

Its my first sprite in about 6 months, and I don't exactly like it very much. First off, I've never excelled at anything in art, but perspective is by far the biggest thing I've had problems with, specifically things with no mass to them i.e. scizor's wings. So I was kind of looking for help/reassurance on that.

Secondly, I didn't really accomplish anything with this sprite, although I was going to try and improve my linework. If anyone has any tips on line work please let me know, because even after a few years its something I struggle with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Bamboogod/wooper_revamp4550631138-iaza.gif

Here is a wooper revamp to hg/ss style. I figured if I kept it the same position it was, mine would be the same as everyone elses revamp, so I flipped it. Any crit on this would be nice also.

V4LOVER
24th September 2010, 2:16 AM
For Scizor, the legs look stubby and the lines wobbly. On Wooper, the eyes shouldn't be they way you have them there (or do the other sprites look like that?).

Domo-Kun
24th September 2010, 3:27 AM
The main issue with the scizor sprite are the legs; first of all they seem a bit small, and like v4lover said, the lines are too jagged and should be smoothed out a tad.

The wooper revamp is very nicely done however.

-Raiga-
24th September 2010, 3:44 AM
For Scizor, the legs look stubby and the lines wobbly. On Wooper, the eyes shouldn't be they way you have them there (or do the other sprites look like that?).

Yes the eyes are like that on the newer versions, although I myself prefer the older versions.

The main issue with the scizor sprite are the legs; first of all they seem a bit small, and like v4lover said, the lines are too jagged and should be smoothed out a tad.

Not so sure if the legs should be bigger, if you look at the offical art, or sprite for that matter they should probably be smaller if anything.

Also, when you say the lines are wobbly, are you referring to the legs only, or the whole thing?

Fused
24th September 2010, 4:00 AM
The perspective on Scizor isn't the problem; its the proportioning.

The head, for instance, is too long, up and down. That needs to be shortened up a bit, and by the same rule, Scizor's head (minus the spikes) is roughly the same size as its chest, so fixing the head would require shortening the chest. The abdomen is also too large, both vertically and horizontally. Judging from the HGSS sprite, the abdomen is just a tiny bit smaller than the claws, which on your sprite is proportional to the limbs.

The metal part connecting wings to the body is about the same size as the lower leg on the HGSS sprite, so that should be adjusted.

The larger wings are about the same size as Scizor's head, the spikes included. The minor wings are about the same size as the chest, and therefore the skull.

I hope that isn't too much at once, but really, its just your proportioning that is off, and getting proportions right is key.

Good luck.

-Raiga-
24th September 2010, 4:17 AM
The perspective on Scizor isn't the problem; its the proportioning.

The head, for instance, is too long, up and down. That needs to be shortened up a bit, and by the same rule, Scizor's head (minus the spikes) is roughly the same size as its chest, so fixing the head would require shortening the chest. The abdomen is also too large, both vertically and horizontally. Judging from the HGSS sprite, the abdomen is just a tiny bit smaller than the claws, which on your sprite is proportional to the limbs.

The metal part connecting wings to the body is about the same size as the lower leg on the HGSS sprite, so that should be adjusted.

The larger wings are about the same size as Scizor's head, the spikes included. The minor wings are about the same size as the chest, and therefore the skull.

I hope that isn't too much at once, but really, its just your proportioning that is off, and getting proportions right is key.

Good luck.

Oh no, believe me this isn't too much at all, its exactly what I was looking for. I seen the problem with the abdomen and was working on it when I assume you were typing the post, but I never would have looked at it that in depth, thanks a lot!

tomthepom
24th September 2010, 6:59 AM
Also to me, the claw that is facing away from us is too small for the distance it would be.

-Raiga-
24th September 2010, 9:38 PM
Hopefully this solves most of problems with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Bamboogod/Ultra_stab_scizor3314772465-iaza.gif

I really can't get the legs any better than that.

m!nt
26th September 2010, 9:21 AM
Yeah that's much better. Did you also alter the head a bit?

Northern Lights
26th September 2010, 3:39 PM
The newer sprite is much better, but is it me or are the wings a little on the small side? the wings should extend out further i think.

-Raiga-
26th September 2010, 5:11 PM
Yeah that's much better. Did you also alter the head a bit?

Thanks, and do you mean alter it more than just changing the size? Because changing the size of the head is the main thing I did for the second one, although I did change the spikes a bit more.

The newer sprite is much better, but is it me or are the wings a little on the small side? the wings should extend out further i think.

Hmmm, well, as fused mentioned, the metal part of the wings are about as long as the leg, and I changed (his) right wing to show that. And unless its my bad perspective at work, the way his left wing is angled at us, it will obviously be a little smaller than the other.

Serris
3rd October 2010, 5:37 PM
Here's what I think about the newer sprite:

The abdomen and torso look much better than the previous sprite, but I feel the torso is still too big. the head is looking better but it looks very choppy in areas like the middle horn, and it's eye looks far too big. the arms look very thin, and very long. Like i think some people mentioned, the claws look a bit small. With the wings, it's very hard to define the wing that's closer to us. It actually looks as if it's melded to it's other wing. I would try and define it more by making some of the shading on the behind wing darker, so it can show some depth within the sprite.

With the revamp:

It's good, there are only a few things I see wrong. One part on the bottom side of the head jacks out in one of the body shades. It's kinda hard to describe. The antennae have some trouble with the darker shade. The one to the left of us doesn't look like it has black (then again, I have the Dark-type forum skin on) in the outline, and the other antennae doesn't permit for a black outline. Some of the anti-aliasing is a tad askew, but that can be repaired pretty easily.

I'd like to see more work. Keep spriting.