PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Shipping: Intentional or Just for Fun?

Hyuuga Neji
2nd October 2010, 6:58 AM
Feel free to close this topic at anytime if it is inappropriate.

Now, I am a bit of a shipper myself. However, I can't help but wonder if all this "shipping" in the anime...be it Pokeshipping, Contest, or w/e other popular shippings that have at least some evidence is intentional? Do the writers have some grand plan to have characters get together in the end? Or is it just something done to make characters interactions more interesting?

Episodes completely devoted to shipping seem like a waste of time if nothing were to come out of it. The writers have stated they don't want Pokemon to be a romance, so why do they bother to make episodes they completely revolve around romance surronding main characters? Do they realize they are shooting themselves in the foot?

Again if this thread is inapproriate for this section feel free to close it mods, and I apologize ahead of time. I'm just curious as to what shippers truly feel when it comes to shipping in this show. Intentional, or just for shits and giggles? Steer clear from shipping debates, and just post your opinion regaurding shipping as a whole in the show.

CyberCubed
2nd October 2010, 7:04 AM
The romance in the show is usually about filler characters who get together in an episode, or about Pokemon that like other Pokemon.

When it comes to the main characters, its played for laughs for Brock (who never winds up with anyone), and its a subplot for the girls.

The reason it never, "goes anywhere," is because there's no point in making characters get together while the show is still running. There is absolutely no incentive to have a serious couple in the show.

The problem is some people take shipping too seriously, when it is never anything more than a minor subplot at best in whatever saga you're talking about.

wind21
2nd October 2010, 5:07 PM
I think we take this whole show too seriously, not just shipping. But there are worse things to get attached to, that's for sure, and worse ways to spend time.

Many things about this show seem pointless, not just shipping. Right now after the Sinnoh League, it feels Ash might go on forever, there's going to be a new girl and now new guy every region, there's going to be some new trainer who's going to get some slightly reasonable excuse to beat Ash at the beginning of the region to be his rival, there's going to be some new evil sinister team that's after some legendary pokemon, Ash and crew will stop said team, Ash will have some reason to lose in the league, etc. Shipping is a part of this cycle; if we follow the rest of the elements of the show, then there's nothing wrong with extending the interest to shipping, which is really no more pointless than anything else in the show.

Crimsonlink
2nd October 2010, 10:38 PM
I think that shipping came as a off shoot of when writers put pairings into shows that happened even before pokemon. Fans started to ship characters and hope that their pairing won out in whatever show and it spread from there to include Pokemon and pretty much all mangas and animes.
I think that the Pokemon writers make shipping intentional because there are episodes focused on romance usually between pokemon and sometimes human. Like the episode in Hoenn where Norman was trying to surprise his wife for their anniversary is pretty much a shipping episode for Norman X Caroline. The latest pokemon romance was Piplup, Elikid and Marill love triangle and Meowth with Glameow near the end of DP.

ponyboycurtis
5th October 2010, 6:19 PM
well, there really isn't much romance pokemon between the main chracters, but they have made the characters have crushes on someone since that's normal for young kids to experince. without a doubt every girl that's traveled with ash had a crush on him. even the new girl iris appears to like ash a lot.

Misty,May and Dawn have all flirted with Ash one time or another.