PDA

View Full Version : My Badge Sprite

AZX612
3rd October 2010, 6:39 PM
Please tell me if this is the right or wrong place to put this. Kk?

Anyway, Im not the best Artist, so Im starting off Simple.

Heres a Badge I like to call

"The Primary Badge"

http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/15/66/89/13/my_bad14.png

PS, sorry if its looks too big or pixely. I had to double the size because it was too small. But it actually looks shiny and metalic when you shrink it by 50%. Just copy and paste it into Paint and shrink the size by 50% to see how it originally looked.

Volga
4th October 2010, 3:38 AM
The reason the image is fuzzy is because of the fact that you saved it in a JPEG format. I, as well as others, would recommend saving it as a PNG.

ReaperNeku
4th October 2010, 5:31 AM
try looking at this: http://xxsapphiregalexx.deviantart.com/art/DPPt-Badge-Tutorial-V-2-139870538?q=boost%3Apopular+Diamond+and+Pearl+badg e&qo=0 it might help :3

AZX612
4th October 2010, 9:42 PM
The reason the image is fuzzy is because of the fact that you saved it in a JPEG format. I, as well as others, would recommend saving it as a PNG.J who with the what now?

Wait, I think I know what your talking about.

Just a sec.

FINALLY FIXED!!!

I already had it saved as PNG. For some reason whenever I tried to upload it, I first checked it to make sure it was PNG. It was. But when I clicked the Upload button, it changed to JPG. Idk...

-Raiga-
4th October 2010, 11:12 PM
yeah, some image uploading sites do that for some reason, thats why I just got an account at photobcuket. They never screw things up, I still have images I uploaded 7 years ago running perfectly.

Anyways on the sprite, don't make us do the work to just look at it. All you have to do in paint while your working on it is just zoom in. Also, from what I remember, badges tend to have thicker outlines, but it depends on what look your going for I suppose.

AZX612
5th October 2010, 1:25 AM
I attatched the file. A Website had nothing to do with it.

I always zoom in. How else would I have gotten the Gradient?

And once again- This is my first time making sprites of any kind from sratch. Im just looking for what I did good, and what needs improvement. Thicker Outline noted.

Thanks = )

-Raiga-
5th October 2010, 2:03 AM
I attatched the file. A Website had nothing to do with it.

Sorry, my fault. I right-clicked the image and seen it was from servimg.com, so I figured you were using a site to host.

I always zoom in. How else would I have gotten the Gradient?

I guess I don't really understand why its larger than usual if you did actually zoom in. Its not like you couldn't make that gradient with it at "normal" size.

And once again- This is my first time making sprites of any kind from sratch. Im just looking for what I did good, and what needs improvement. Thicker Outline noted.

I'm aware of that, but everything I mentioned had the intention to help you improve, its just some of it was directed toward helping you improve stuff like showing your image, not neccessarily just on the sprite itself.

Which is one other thing, I understand its your first sprite, but make sure you tell us what you were going for in the sprite. Because although I mentioned thicker outlines, you could have been going for a thinner outline, which you would have succeeded at.

So just make sure you help us, help you later by telling us what your intentions were. So keep it up, can't wait to see more.
Thanks = )

AZX612
5th October 2010, 2:43 AM
Why thank you! Im working on another Badge. But yeah, Until I find a way that I like to make the outline thicker, Im just gonna go with thin outline.

And Its larger than usual because, let me explain.

First I zoomed in and created the entire thing, but when I zoomed back out, it was really, REALLY Tiny. So I selected it, and used the Resize to make it double sized, so that way you guys could see it easier... It just looks a little more pixely now... Im working on making it bigger without having to double the size, that way it doesnt look pixely, and the Gradience looks more Gradiant, etc etc...

-Raiga-
5th October 2010, 2:53 AM
Why thank you! Im working on another Badge. But yeah, Until I find a way that I like to make the outline thicker, Im just gonna go with thin outline.

And Its larger than usual because, let me explain.

First I zoomed in and created the entire thing, but when I zoomed back out, it was really, REALLY Tiny. So I selected it, and used the Resize to make it double sized, so that way you guys could see it easier... It just looks a little more pixely now... Im working on making it bigger without having to double the size, that way it doesnt look pixely, and the Gradience looks more Gradiant, etc etc...

The reason is because, assuming your using paint that is, is because you went all the way back on the zoom bar.

If you open up a paint, and click on the magnifying glass tool, start to slowly drag the meter for it and you'll notice it has six intervals. When your all the way zoomed in, count 4 intervals back and you'll be at normal size.

The reason you got screwed up the first time is because you went all the way to the sixth interval, which is 2 times more zoomed out than normal.

Its kind of hard to explain, but if you fool around with it you'll get it.

AZX612
5th October 2010, 2:56 AM
Kk, noted. I'll see if I can become a "Master Of Zooming And Un-Zooming"

Lol = D

tomthepom
5th October 2010, 5:30 AM
Light source is a problem here, there seems to be four points it is directed at, where as other badges normally have it coming from an angle to give it a metallic look, or from directly infront to give it a 3D look.

AZX612
6th October 2010, 12:17 AM
Light source is a problem here, there seems to be four points it is directed at, where as other badges normally have it coming from an angle to give it a metallic look, or from directly infront to give it a 3D look.Noted. Thank you. I'll try that next time. But before I double the size, It looked more like the light was directed at the Middle, and faded out twords the edges.

MugoUrth
6th October 2010, 2:53 AM
I would try to avoid Gradient Shading if I were you.

For curving, though, it looks like you have the right idea.

AZX612
6th October 2010, 3:17 AM
Eh, gradient is just my thing.

But yeah, Im pretty good at Curves. Just in case your wondering, it was meant to have thos little lumps in the middle of each curve.

MugoUrth
11th October 2010, 4:26 AM
Eh, gradient is just my thing.

Sorry for taking a long time to reply, but gradient shading is somewhat lazy. There are two types of shadings that are widely frowned upon by spriters: Gradient shading and Pillow shading. You should try to take Light Source into consideration, that might help.