PDA

View Full Version : Absol-ute Disaster! (384)

Serebii
16th December 2004, 1:59 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/384.jpgAbsol-ute Disaster!

Travelling towards Sootopolis City, Ash & Co. see an Absol. Whenever an Absol appears a disaster is likely to happen. Angered Ash battles Absol but it's too late and a flood heads towards the village. Can it be stopped?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/384.shtml)

Discuss

Dogasu
16th December 2004, 2:09 PM
Quickie until I get back to America:

-Basic plot--Absol is hated by some villagers because it seems to be the cause of disasters. There's a kid and his/her (not entirely sure of the gender) older brother who doesn't believe that Absol is the cause. So the episode is spent trying to locate Absol and prove its innocence.

-No captures or evolutions.

-The eyecatch this time: Regice.

Swellow
16th December 2004, 5:13 PM
Sounds like a cool filler episode. I actually like the Pokemon Absol :) and not because of the Disasters.

Space Skitty
16th December 2004, 11:59 PM
The pictures looked interesting. Now I'm positive that Absol is based off a cougar or mountain lion! Absol looked so elegant yet deadly, looks like a great episode.

The Big Al
17th December 2004, 1:12 AM
XD Yet another boss daydream gone bust. I think I can start to pallet them more when some of them aren't so much pie in the sky.

That Scary Clefairy
17th December 2004, 5:18 AM
i'm just curoius what is the cowboy's name? i would find it funny if he has a japanese name when dress as a western cowboy lol.

Cloud Strife
17th December 2004, 5:52 AM
This is the first one for some time that does not look that good, might be okay though

Pokemon Fan
17th December 2004, 6:35 AM
So what move was that Heracross using when it fired the white beam? Hidden Power? Secret Power? A projectile Megahorn? What was it?

An interesting note, from the pictures it looks like this Absol is a good deal smaller than the one that was in the sixth movie. Of course, pokemon vary in size according to age, experience, genes and such, but it is worth noting that they didn't try to make this Absol a clone of the one in the movie. ^_^

And I can't tell who caught what? At one point in the screenshots it shows the boy and Pikachu falling and Swellow coming down to save them, then at semingly another point it shows Absol saving a boy. Did Swellow catch anyone?

Murgatroyd
17th December 2004, 8:10 AM
So what move was that Heracross using when it fired the white beam? Hidden Power? Secret Power? A projectile Megahorn? What was it?

An interesting note, from the pictures it looks like this Absol is a good deal smaller than the one that was in the sixth movie. Of course, pokemon vary in size according to age, experience, genes and such, but it is worth noting that they didn't try to make this Absol a clone of the one in the movie. ^_^

And I can't tell who caught what? At one point in the screenshots it shows the boy and Pikachu falling and Swellow coming down to save them, then at semingly another point it shows Absol saving a boy. Did Swellow catch anyone?
Heracross's move: Hidden Power

Absol caught the boy (I think his name was Noboru, but I can't be sure, as he doesn't appear in the credits). Swellow caught Max, but wasn't able to get Pikachu as well. Pikachu was saved thanks to the arrival of Satoru (Noboru's brother) and his Heracross.

And... we have a name for Absol's 'swing its head and fire a blade of energy' attack: Kamaitachi. Or to use the dub term, Razor Wind.

Chris
17th December 2004, 12:45 PM
Guys, Satoru is NOT a cowboy. >_> Think Indiana Jones only Japanese and you've got Satoru.

This episode's really good. I liked the explanation of how Satoru began battling Absol and ever went out of his way to save it during battle as it began to fall off the edge of a hill.

That Scary Clefairy
17th December 2004, 8:01 PM
well geez SORRY! it just that at first glance at this guy you think cowboy. ok? i mean cowboys or rather gunmen have trench coats and scarfs like this guy does.

JazzJazz
17th December 2004, 9:02 PM
An interesting note, from the pictures it looks like this Absol is a good deal smaller than the one that was in the sixth movie. Of course, pokemon vary in size according to age, experience, genes and such

This absol could just been an abnormality, similar to how Ash's noctowl was smaller than average but was more powerful.

Geodude
17th December 2004, 10:45 PM
well geez SORRY! it just that at first glance at this guy you think cowboy. ok? i mean cowboys or rather gunmen have trench coats and scarfs like this guy does.

Yes, but the resemblance to Indiana Jones is even more striking.

http://www.graphicexpectations.com/posterimg/Indiana%20Jones%20DVD.jpg

Sharpshooter
17th December 2004, 11:57 PM
Yes, but the resemblance to Indiana Jones is even more striking.

I knew before I came to this thread everyone was going to think "Ha! Indiana Jones!" It's meant to be Indiana Jones anyway, the writers just used it as a foundation to design a stand-in character - it's no coincidence I assure you.

I'm putting ten bucks down for Lisa Ortez to do the little kid's voice in the dub version.

Chris
17th December 2004, 11:59 PM
I'm quite puzzled though. Is Noboru a girl or a boy? o_O Noboru looks like both, yet has more of a girlish voice. But the name doesn't help at all since Japanese names can be used for any gender. x_X;

Murgatroyd
18th December 2004, 1:38 AM
I'm quite puzzled though. Is Noboru a girl or a boy? o_O Noboru looks like both, yet has more of a girlish voice. But the name doesn't help at all since Japanese names can be used for any gender. x_X;
Almost certainly a boy. That was the impression I got the first time through the episode, and it's supported by the fact that Satoshi and Takeshi address him as "Noboru-kun".

Team Rocket's Lugia
18th December 2004, 1:42 AM
Yay Absol! My 2nd fav........
They could of created such a good plotline, but I belive it's a kid of the day thinks of special pokemon and saves Ash&co episode.

Any eyecatch pics?

Pokemon Fan
18th December 2004, 4:01 PM
And... we have a name for Absol's 'swing its head and fire a blade of energy' attack: Kamaitachi. Or to use the dub term, Razor Wind.
Interesting, and yet again we see the vastly different forms the same attack can take in the anime depending on what is using it and (theoretically) how. With Razor Wind we now have the "Gust with energy blades" form done by Golbat back in Kanto, the "twisting tube of rotating wind" done by Swiftry, and the "condensed blade of wind energy" done by Absol.

Rocket Grunt Maggie
18th December 2004, 6:19 PM
I agree with you. Noboru has weird voice. Exactly like a girl, but he is a boy.
I belived, that older guy is his father, but now I see, he is his bro^^
Absol was really great. So..umm... hot XD I really like Abusoru and I`m glad, I could see him in anime. It has a nice voice.
I belive, Noboru liked Abusoru a lot. They have similar names: Abusoru-Noboru, but I think, its not so important.
I like music from episode. It was not a normal poke-music, only music from a Pokemon Movie.
Only one thing, Ash & co said "Hello" to Jessie, James and Meowth. Do they really think, Meowth is a little human? o.O

Chris
18th December 2004, 8:11 PM
Almost certainly a boy. That was the impression I got the first time through the episode, and it's supported by the fact that Satoshi and Takeshi address him as "Noboru-kun".
Hm, quite odd. I was under the impression he was a girl since his voice was too feminine to be a little boy's voice. Yeah, I know Japanese women do voice acting work for a good chunk of males, but Noboru's voice seemed abit too girly.

greatfire
18th December 2004, 11:16 PM
I also think it is a boy because he refers to himself using boku instead of atashi. My theory is that the voice director didn't have another actress available or maybe it was a guest star, could someone check the credits?

Murgatroyd
19th December 2004, 12:21 AM
I did check the credits. He was the one character who didn't appear at all.

Heracross
19th December 2004, 2:35 AM
That's strange, because he was the main filler character in this episode.=/ Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. It had a good plot, not really like anything we've seen before and it also had some really cool pokémon. I thought Satoru was cool to begin with since he had the whole Indiana Jones thing going on, but him having a Heracross was definately a huge bonus.^^ Absol was also cool, it has the same mysterious and powerful feel as it did in Wishmaker.

Gryphon Turboclaw
21st December 2004, 12:58 AM
Quick question about Satoru: Didn't Max mention something about a trainer in the Silver Conference by that name(in the Japanese version of There's No Place Like Hoenn )? Or am I just misremembering what was in the ep guide?

Chris
21st December 2004, 1:05 AM
Oh yeah! XD Masato used to call Satoshi by the name Satoru in the original version when they first met. I forgot all about that.

Geodude
21st December 2004, 2:10 AM
Right...the dub equivalent would be Max calling him Al instead of Ash. :p

Chris
21st December 2004, 2:23 AM
Alf, actually. :P

frednmethod
21st December 2004, 6:47 AM
Wait, what attack did Swellow/Forretress use when all the pokemon were attacking the rock?

I don't remember them having a projectile, or were they the only ones missing in that scene?

Chris
21st December 2004, 6:53 AM
Oosubame and Forretress weren't being used at all.

Geodude
21st December 2004, 6:57 AM
Yeah Swellow and Forretress have never used any projectile attacks aside from Forretress' Spikes, which don't even do immediate damage in the games...so yeah.

vulpix
18th April 2005, 11:34 PM
i can't wait to see this episode because Absol looks so cool!

crawdauntpro
27th May 2005, 9:44 PM
ash should have caught absol he would have been perfect for the sootopolis gym battle along side corphish.

Pikafan
30th July 2005, 6:01 AM
How Come There Isn't an Episode Guide Yet. When Are We Going To Get it?

upsy-daisy
14th August 2005, 11:22 PM
can u see regice in this ep

suavesky
13th October 2005, 5:06 AM
it's not fare to absol to be basically bad luck

Samayowa
19th November 2005, 9:26 PM
I can't wait for this ep. I love Absol (one of my favorite from the 3rd gen.)...

Diamond and Pearl

Joe_Pokemon20000
22nd November 2005, 5:58 AM
THIS IS AN Absol-ute Disaster! I can't believe Ash saw an Absol for worse! Rating: 1.7 Absol-ute Disaster, Absol-ute Vodka!

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
18th December 2005, 7:01 AM
It looks like we won't be seeing this ep on 12/24 or 12/31-and to think Kids WB was so good in airing 1 new ep every week! I predict a huge ratings drop those 2 weeks-falling behind every other network (which means 4Kids TV will be kings on Xmas Eve and New Years Eve). I predict the ratings would be so embarrasing, that Kids WB will promise to air new eps on 12/25/2010, 1/1/2011. 12/24/2011, and 12/31/2011-should Pokemon still be running by then. Anyone agree? I was really hoping to see this ep, but I guess I have to wait until after I turn 16 (look at my profile for proof).

RandomCharizard
24th December 2005, 3:27 PM
Guess the US won't be seeing it,seeing as Gaining Groudon will be on. =/ I was hoping to see Absol again.

The Big Al
24th December 2005, 4:55 PM
We'll get it on the seventh. KidsWB always shows reruns during the Holiday break.

asia_catdog_blue
24th December 2005, 5:26 PM
You mean I didn't miss anything new?

Black Marauder
24th December 2005, 7:34 PM
KidsWB can't and won't show episodes weekly. -_-;

They have to get the amount of episodes in the season to fit in. So sometimes it's two each week (new) or one each week. Or even none each week.

It *is* annoying but what the heck, I missed a few epyies

FlamingRuby
7th January 2006, 4:30 PM
My revew:

This episode was quite exciting...especially how the gang combined their power to help the Absol.

Speaking of Absol, he sounded very cool, and omnious, which fit him perfectly...the way he helped defeat Team Rocket was cool as well

Team Rocket, on the other hand, was mainly there for comic relief this go-round...especially them freaking out on that huge rock for most of the time.

But the real prize goes to the Characters of the day...Nicky and Gordon seemed really close, and showing just how far they'd go to defend the Absol was exciting to watch.

Ruby's score: perfect 10!

Black Marauder
7th January 2006, 4:35 PM
Tis/ not as I expected, but watev.

And what's with KidWB or 4kids or whoever saying that after the Hoenn was the Elite Four? Heck, that's no elite four! That's the Brains.

CyberCubed
7th January 2006, 4:37 PM
This episode was pretty solid. I didn't like the way Ash said "I heard of them." when referring to Absol since he saw one way back in the 6th movie though. :/

The coolest part of the episode was all the gang's Pokemon shooting their elemental attacks at the rock. We've never really seen anything like that in the show before, so it was a nice treat. I wonder if anyone could survive being hit by all those attacks at once.

Ash's voice sounded different in this episode, it seems like Veronica Taylor is experimenting by trying to give him a deeper voice. I'll have to see how it sounds in the next episode to see if what she's doing is successful.

Other things that were swell, Team Rocket's Australian accents and a good Trainer's Choice. (They put all fish Pokemon to confuse the little kiddies).

Good episode.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
7th January 2006, 4:39 PM
I don't have a lot to say about this episode, and not just because my sister barged in halfway through.

Nicky was a cool character with a good design. Shame his voice was horrible ._.

Gordon....No comment.

Absol was cool, and its voice suits it, IMO.

The villagers are extremely paranoid, and it's strange that they didn't make the connection between Absol and the disasters ¬_¬

Heracross has one heck of a Hidden Power 0_0 Looked excellent, though.

I liked the music choice when Gordon and Nicky were commenting on Absol's Hyper Beam, even though I don't remember where it's from. I think it's from a movie or something....

Overall rating:
7.6 out of 10
I didn't see the whole thing, but I don't think I had to. It seemed quite mediocre, but at least we get to see Absol.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

WaterDragon trainer
7th January 2006, 4:46 PM
This episode was pretty good. Absol was awesome. The TR fantasy about giving Absol to the Boss was pretty funny. I agree that Heracross does have a strong Hidden Power (although at first I thought it was Megahorn <I missed the part when Gordon commanded the attack>) Also, it was a little funny how Absol pwned TR at the end when they tried to steal Pikachu.

Geki
7th January 2006, 4:51 PM
What a great episode. It had awesome characters, like Aaron and Absol, and it didn't get boring half-way through like most fillers do. It's a relief from the Vibrava one, WORST EPISODE EVER!

9/10

CoolTrainerTerry
7th January 2006, 4:56 PM
Yeah, the thing with spelling Hoenn, Hoen, and calling the Frontier Brains the Elite 4. That was just retarded. 5 minutes till I see the eppy.

Prelude
7th January 2006, 5:01 PM
Well, I read the sinopsis and I think this will be a cool episode. 3 minutes till it starts here.

Edit: Okay, It's on right now. Pikachu falls off, Ash freaks out, and then there are the commercials...

The Big Al
7th January 2006, 5:13 PM
A rather dull and rehashed filler. It was the exact same plot as the first Solrock episode. Stupid townspeople and one person who's smart enough to realize something else was to blame. It even imcluded a problem for crying out loud. Have the writers truly run out of ideas and are just mixing a matching stuff to make it look new. Why didn't they have a certain Absol owning person make an appearance instead of this.

TR also failed to be funny. The rock thing is way old and their accent crap was awful.

5/10 craptacticular filler

SaltedSunkern
7th January 2006, 5:23 PM
Yeah, the thing with spelling Hoenn, Hoen, and calling the Frontier Brains the Elite 4. That was just retarded. 5 minutes till I see the eppy.
Didn't Ash verse one of the elite four? And get whooped? ;191;

Prelude
7th January 2006, 5:30 PM
Didn't Ash verse one of the elite four? And get whooped? ;191;

That was Drake in some other episode

CoolTrainerTerry
7th January 2006, 5:30 PM
-Ha, whenever Pikachu is about to fall off the bridge, Ash runs to save him, Pikachu jumps off and hits him in the face and Ash falls.
-May: Nice catch.
Max: You alright?
Brock: Pikachu is.
-TR, Absol Hunters? A little weird, just for the free food.
-The Absol with the boss was pretty funny.
-Nicky told off Team Rocket. Hee hee.
-The reason why TR was on top of the giant rock was funny.
-Why did Ash tell Nicky he was from Pallet Town?
-James: They do think we are professional Absol hunters.
Meowth: And that's the worst disaster of all.
-I liked Absol's dub voice.
-Why does Ash always say it's not the Pokemons fault. I don't think it was trying to attack?
-They didn't screw up Trainer's Choice today! WOW!
-Gordon looked cool and his dub voice was pretty good, too.
-It was nice to see a Heracross again.
-Square Top? That's the best they can come up with?
-Hidden Power was really strong.
-The finale was amazing.
-The finale's music fit perfectly. It was nice to hear music from Pokemon 2000, again.
-TR: Cheap rental costumes.
-I still wish Ash caught an Absol. Of course, it's not like he NEEDS another powerhouse Pokemon.

ghost master
7th January 2006, 6:28 PM
And what's with KidWB or 4kids or whoever saying that after the Hoenn was the Elite Four? Heck, that's no elite four! That's the Brains. they arent calling it the elite four. although it isnt quite right I can see why they would call it the elite 4 challenge. They could call it that because in Emerald you have to defeat the elite 4 to enter the BF also Ash had to face Agatha to be determined whether he could participate in it.

Medea
7th January 2006, 8:11 PM
Crap-tastic!

That's what I thought of the episode. But it's not as bad as some of the other episodes this season so far. I guess I was just a little P-O'ed because once again, another pokemon in a movie ignored like that. It was either that or that f-ing commerical...ELITE FOUR!

PDL
7th January 2006, 8:48 PM
nothing too special about this episode I'm afriad...

I find it very bizzare that the mountains would have square and circle formations on them though...

asia_catdog_blue
9th January 2006, 9:33 PM
This episode, I wonder... how can Ash & friends NOT see through Team Rocket's disguises?

jolteonjak
9th January 2006, 9:49 PM
Because they never do...

I wasn't too impressed. It was nice, however, to see Skitty again. I almost forgot May had one since she drops it off in Petalburg after the before Battle Frontier begins...that and she hadn't used it in quite a long time. Of all those attacks, Shedinja would resist every one EXCEPT Torkoal's Flamethrower (provided Heracross' HP wasn't Fire, Rock, Flying, Ghost, or Dark). <-- Useless trivia :-D

Andromache
9th January 2006, 11:13 PM
I wasn't too impressed. Plot wasn't original and even TR wasn't too funny this time around. Filler characters weren't really memorable. The Trapinch ep was still worse just because of the cheesy romance cliche, but otherwise, I disliked both eps just about equally.

The Big Al
10th January 2006, 12:32 AM
Of all those attacks, Shedinja would resist every one EXCEPT Torkoal's Flamethrower (provided Heracross' HP wasn't Fire, Rock, Flying, Ghost, or Dark). <-- Useless trivia :-D
Heracross can learn Rock Slide genius.

jolteonjak
10th January 2006, 12:41 AM
No kidding. But did it use it in the episode? No, genius. Half of the Pokemon used in that scene could probably learn Aerial Ace...

Kamex
10th January 2006, 1:59 AM
Okay episode. Didn't take my interest as much as I would have liked.

The Australian accents were rather funny to me. Couldn't quite catch James' accent... probably didn't have one. It doesn't matter though, his voice sucks now anyway. Just about every other joke TR made was just plain corny, so I can't say they helped this episode that much.

Absol arrive right before a disaster as a warning, they don't create the disasters themselves. That's what the discovery of the episode was, right? At first I thought they just said, straightforwardly, that Absol don't actually have anything to do with disasters, they just get framed or have occasional bad luck... but that would take away the whole point of Absol.

Scenes with many Pokemon attacking together are kinda cliche... but it was cool seeing them on that cliff attacking. I think I saw an avatar of that or something...

Well, just standard filler for me. 7/10.

Joe_Pokemon20000
19th January 2006, 5:47 AM
This topic AND episode is an Absol-ute Disaster here!

SamsGFX
25th July 2006, 8:42 PM
I hate Absol's voice! It sounds so wierd. I didn't imagine it to be that low :/

Ashy Boy
9th August 2006, 8:47 PM
The only thing I liked about this filler ep was Ash and Co's Pokemon working together with Gordon's Heracross to stop the flood. Everything else was lame.

Ash's Pika Pal
17th September 2006, 7:07 PM
Aww I liked this episode. Absol was so cool for its first non movie anime appearence. Poor Absol, people thought it brought disasters, but in reality it just tryed to warn people. I will rate this episode 8/10.

wobbanut
25th October 2006, 3:27 AM
Well, at LONG last, thanks to the twice-daily afternoon reruns of Cartoon Network, I was FINALLY able to see this episode. Honestly, it was like I had an honest-to-goodness curse over my head with this episode. First I missed its original airing last winter because they changed the airtime to 10 AM, then I missed the one or two afternoon reruns they had before this. Then I had a Hitchcockian moment at the drivethru of McDonalds with hundreds of geese passing over my head after this episode aired. Oh wait, *maybe* that's not connected (but it's true). :o

Anyway... on to my review. Well, what impressed me the most was Eric Stuart, Rachel Lillis, and Maddie Blaustein with the fake British accents. I don't know if they were even remotely authentic, but they kept them up in all the right places throughout the episode. Good work there. I liked how they got trapped on top of the huge boulder and had no idea how LOL (I also liked Meowth's line about just following the sign about going there for an "all-around good time". Yeah, bad pun, but I still found it funny because of the situation). I loved Wobbuffet accidentally getting knocked over by Meowth during the motto too. LOL The story was really good too. I knew well ahead of time just from mulling things over that absols were really there as warnings of disaster, but it was still enjoyable to watch. Nicky was a bit annoying, but I loved Gordon.

It's also weird how much the show changed in just the nine months since I missed this episode. Hearing the old motto again, seeing adorable little Chimie, seeing so many pokemon that aren't on the show in season nine, it was all so surreal seeing how different the show was at just the beginning of 2006. At least I finally got to see this episode, and I'm very happy. :) Now if only I could see "Beauty and the Beach"...

Overall, 7.5/10.

Battra
3rd January 2007, 11:32 PM
An ok episode not one of my favorites, but Absol is always nice to see.

Willow's Tara
8th November 2008, 12:36 PM
I thought this episode was quite good really. I know I would have believed that Absol was innocent too, especially if those villagers found a pokedex and read it...

Tadashi
9th November 2008, 1:23 AM
I always thought Absol was the cause of disasters. I guess a lot of others thought so too, which is why they had to make an entire episode saying that Absol appears before a disaster, but doesn't cause them.

Totally pointless episode. As fillers go, even this was boring. It was like a Pokémon version of the hunt for bloody Frankenstein or something >(

Igottapoo
13th January 2009, 11:58 AM
This was a pretty cool filler. Poor Absol was getting blamed for the disaster. But, yeah, a flood is a pretty good plot line. I liked this.

Littlemyuu
7th March 2009, 9:10 PM
Nice episode, Absol is a cool Pokemon, to bad they blame him at the start

Blue Snover
9th March 2009, 6:32 PM
I felt bad for Absol, just because it's been labelled as a disaster Pokemon doesn't make it true, they should have given it a chance.

(s.i.e)
9th March 2009, 8:32 PM
man what an idea, absol tries to warn people for a disaster and then get's the blame,
human nature at it's best:P anyway it was a nice episode i liked it.

Surfer_Dude
25th October 2009, 9:42 AM
Absol is really awesome! I really wish that ash would've caught one...
It's hyper beam was really powerfull

Lorde
4th December 2009, 11:41 AM
Maybe it's just me, but from Lilycove onward, there seems to be a lot of episodes that seem Filler-ish due to their lack of progressing the story much. This episode is a prime example since Absol didn't help Ash or friends achieve anything great. I liked that they decided to link bad luck and disasters with Absol though since it's the unlucky Pokemon in most media. Pretty cool but not much else to note. 5/10.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 4:43 PM
Absol wasn't really evil, it just trying to help.

and i loved to see an Heracross.

6/10

G50
9th March 2011, 2:32 PM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see an Absol for the 1st time. It was rough seeing the Villagers all hate Absol because they are blaming them for bringing natural disasters to the town. It was great to see them have a change of heart after realizing the truth and that Absol was only trying to help them. Absol usually shows up before a disaster for warning, it makes sense why it was mistaken at 1st.

30/100

Trapman
9th March 2011, 2:39 PM
Ha Ha, man I remember this episode, it feels like ages ago. It was a cool episode with a cool pokemon, more interesting than most fillers.

Vernikova
7th August 2012, 8:19 PM
An okay episode. Max was pretty annoying in this one as well as the whole group automatically believing some kid instead of the rest of the town.

Painkiller2001
10th November 2014, 12:11 AM
Like I said about Armaldo in "Where's Armaldo?", now that I see it in the anime, Absol is a pretty awesome looking Pokemon. :)