PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Sprites: Could Use Criticism

MugoUrth
15th October 2010, 5:23 PM
I would like some criticism on my sprites.

This mostly started because I wanted to make a Pokemon Gold hack with new sprites, but I couldn't find a fakedex in Gold/Silver style, so I ultimately decided "I guess I'm on my own, then." ...Of coarse, that's probably what I should have done in the first place.

Anyway, these are the sprites I made. I'd like to think I at least have an idea of what the style is, even if the sprites aren't that good. Criticism is not only welcomed, but encouraged.

Serris
16th October 2010, 8:10 AM
I'm glad to see some who knows what to do with the devamp style of working. You've executed these brilliantly, and I can clearly see the style of GSC. I think the biggest thing that stands out is you knew that GSC only allowed 5 colours per sprite, including black and white as colours. the old look is very present, and they're not too complicated. I'm very impressed. please keep up the good work.

Frost-Phoenix1
16th October 2010, 1:01 PM
My only qualm is that they seem to be a bit too flat. I'd try angling the pose of the sprite a bit, to add a bit of depth.

MugoUrth
16th October 2010, 4:24 PM
Thank you. I will try to work on that.

M4zz
17th October 2010, 1:31 AM
They're done really good and really exhibit the GSC style, as Serris mentioned. But they scare me. I understand the one is a frong and the other a rodent, but the other one is slightly unclear to me. I see it as an alien, wiht it's eye being so big. But is is a reptile?

MugoUrth
17th October 2010, 2:41 PM
At first I thought you were calling Cynsupial (The Yellow One) the rodent and I was like "How many times do I have to repeat myself". Well I did make edits to the trio earlier, but for Croaral (The Green One) and Splaver (The Brown One) they were mostly so they would be able to fit in the game and don't really look good on them. (I gave Croaral Horns and Splaver some ridiculously large ears.) But the edits I did to Cynsupial actually do look better on him, so I'll upload that in a jiffy.

Note: The green one IS a frog, the brown one is a Beaver, and the yellow one's supposed to be an opossum.

Edit: Ah, here we go. On the bottom are the edits I made. Now Cynsupial looks more recognizable as an opossum. The other two edits were mostly attempts to add to the sprite, but I don't like how the others turned out.

Edit 2: Rounded out Cynsupial's head.

MugoUrth
19th April 2011, 4:37 AM
Wow, I didn't think I'd be posting here ever again.

http://neuropod.net/imagehost/uploads/051b18d4a7b0620e4a3ecf785121e49e.PNG

Every time I play Mickey's Magical Quest 3 (Which is a pretty decent Disney based platformer, albeit too easy) whenever I fight the pig boss, I think of Grumpig. So I decided "Why not." I tried transforming the pig boss into Grumpig. It's mostly a recolor, but I wasn't being totally lazy. I looked at the Pig Boss as well as a sprite of Grumpig and noticed Grumpig had

Anime-ish eyes
Thicker arms
Rounder nose
Pearls
Large ears
And also lacked a crown and underpants.

So I basically made all those changes. I thought I did pretty well, and it definitely LOOKS like Grumpig. But I also think "perhaps I could make it better." I would like some criticism on this simple edit.

gardevoir rocks
20th April 2011, 5:17 PM
Nice edit! But that pink colour is a bit loud, need to tone it down a bit, other than that it's awesome!

MugoUrth
22nd April 2011, 5:17 AM
Thank you.

http://neuropod.net/imagehost/uploads/e76dad148a93b94ee1b2eed5966ca35c.PNG

I made three different pallets. I still think I need to lighten the purples a bit.

Also, the attempt to make the pinks less loud totally failed. Maybe I used the wrong colors?

gardevoir rocks
22nd April 2011, 10:32 AM
Hmm... I see what you mean, the pink doesn't really go with the purple anymore...