PDA

View Full Version : DuckFella's New and Improved Sprites :D

Duck Fella
16th October 2010, 11:47 AM
Ahoy. I'm respriting all of my older sprites at the moment, with the occasional new sprite added in :D

Old - New
http://www.iaza.com/work/101016C/bleh4315432210-iaza.gif --> http://www.iaza.com/work/101016C/4_Resprites7006690559-iaza.gif

New Sprites
http://www.iaza.com/work/101016C/scratch5613211753-iaza.gifhttp://www.iaza.com/work/101016C/Scratch_Shiny1945942285-iaza.gif
For The Scratch Sprite Contest. The theme was a 'musical note'

That's all for now. Farewell!

ReaperNeku
16th October 2010, 10:59 PM
Well, how should I put this...They are pretty bad. The heads and bodies for most of them are circles, and the shading is off a lot. But the sprites do look like it's from a different game though. Try looking at the HGSS or BW sprites and see how the anti-aliasing works, you seem to use a lot of black lines for your sprites

~Reaperneku

M4zz
17th October 2010, 1:08 AM
Similar to what Neku posted, horrid shading. But in my own way, I can't comlain 'cause I couldn't shade to save my life, and they aren't half bad. Although Mr.Grin looked better the first time around. Keep trying.

Duck Fella
17th October 2010, 1:18 PM
Well, how should I put this...They are pretty bad. The heads and bodies for most of them are circles, and the shading is off a lot. But the sprites do look like it's from a different game though. Try looking at the HGSS or BW sprites and see how the anti-aliasing works, you seem to use a lot of black lines for your sprites

~Reaperneku

Similar to what Neku posted, horrid shading. But in my own way, I can't comlain 'cause I couldn't shade to save my life, and they aren't half bad. Although Mr.Grin looked better the first time around. Keep trying.

Thanks for the crit. I'll work on my shading.

^^Yoshinichi^^
18th October 2010, 5:34 AM
In terms of actual Pokemon designs, most of these need a lot of work. You haven't clarified as to whether they're meant to be Pokemon, though, so I won't bother you about that. I know the musical note guy is a Pokemon, so let's start on him. His concept is great, but I think you should round out his feet, as they look a bit jagged. I also think you should give him a smile and some different eyes, because right now his face is very bland. The shading on this guy is almost perfect, but behind the neck. There should be a little, as light should not be hitting that area. Also, you need to round out the shading on his head a little bit.

As for the other guys...if they're meant to be Pokemon, I suggest you give them some fingers/claws/toes or whatever, because you need a certain level of detail to justify a Pokemon. But not too much detail, of course. Just enough to make it a Pokemon and make it look unique. I suggest you look at Pokemon with similar body-styles to your Fakemon in order to change them. I wish you the best of luck at improving. You're off to a great start!

Duck Fella
18th October 2010, 9:04 AM
In terms of actual Pokemon designs, most of these need a lot of work. You haven't clarified as to whether they're meant to be Pokemon, though, so I won't bother you about that. I know the musical note guy is a Pokemon, so let's start on him. His concept is great, but I think you should round out his feet, as they look a bit jagged. I also think you should give him a smile and some different eyes, because right now his face is very bland. The shading on this guy is almost perfect, but behind the neck. There should be a little, as light should not be hitting that area. Also, you need to round out the shading on his head a little bit.

As for the other guys...if they're meant to be Pokemon, I suggest you give them some fingers/claws/toes or whatever, because you need a certain level of detail to justify a Pokemon. But not too much detail, of course. Just enough to make it a Pokemon and make it look unique. I suggest you look at Pokemon with similar body-styles to your Fakemon in order to change them. I wish you the best of luck at improving. You're off to a great start!

Thanks for all this crit :D
Okay, I'll round the bottom of his feet and change his facial features :3
And, I'll edit the shading behind his neck ^w^

Yeah, they are meant to be Pokemon. I'll try adding in claws and such :3

Again, thanks for the crit ^_^

M4zz
19th October 2010, 5:48 AM
Another point to add as they have now been classified as Pokemon, size restrictions. If going by DPPt, then 80x80 would be the max pixel total. If by going the ways of BW, your limit rises to 96x96.

evolutionrex
19th October 2010, 6:40 AM
i actually thought you did quite well on the shading, i think it's the only good think about the sprite though..

Duck Fella
19th October 2010, 8:59 AM
Another point to add as they have now been classified as Pokemon, size restrictions. If going by DPPt, then 80x80 would be the max pixel total. If by going the ways of BW, your limit rises to 96x96.
I know, the old sprites were in the 80x80 restrictions, but the new ones are in the 96x96 restriction :)

i actually thought you did quite well on the shading, i think it's the only good think about the sprite though..
Uh, thanks