PDA

View Full Version : In the Panels Poll

Zadros
22nd November 2010, 8:56 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/Insidious_Dreamer/SPPf%20Contests/ChampBan_01.png
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/Insidious_Dreamer/SPPf%20Contests/ChampBan_02.pnghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/Insidious_Dreamer/SPPf%20Contests/ChampBan_03.png (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=364556)http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/Insidious_Dreamer/SPPf%20Contests/ChampBan_04.pnghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/Insidious_Dreamer/SPPf%20Contests/ChampBan_05.png (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=361316)http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/Insidious_Dreamer/SPPf%20Contests/ChampBan_06.png
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/Insidious_Dreamer/SPPf%20Contests/ChampBan_07.png
Another Week, Another Champion

Not a popular week, so this poll will last a whole week. One vote each, not for yourself. The theme was to scratch a custom superhero trainer sprite.

http://www.iaza.com/work/101118C/iaza11857258515100.gif
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5373/sneaseltrainer.png
http://www.iaza.com/work/101122C/iaza15318535084400.gif

Aquakip
22nd November 2010, 12:46 PM
I don't like any of them, really. And I think they, the bottom two, should be disqualified for not following the rules. The contests nowadays aren't as strict as they used to be.

The bottom two are edits of exsiting sprites, when the rules strictly say "Scratch". I would vote for the top one, but I don't like it.

I'm not voting this week. Sorry.

Zadros
22nd November 2010, 2:35 PM
With three entries, being strict would have meant no poll really.

-Raiga-
22nd November 2010, 8:52 PM
With three entries, being strict would have meant no poll really.

...and with no rules, its really not a contest now is it? I'm well aware just as you said they're wouldn't have been a poll, but lets face it, the spriting forum is DEAD, and although I've seen it go in streaks like this, I don't think its ever recovering.

I personally think it would be best to try and gather as much interest as possible and end the wsc next week for week 100. I'm not trying to be a downer, but come on, you have to have better things to do than writing up a contest for 3 people to sort of participate in each week.

Aquakip
22nd November 2010, 9:12 PM
Maybe make an Indigo Isle competition. Those were always popular.

Zozo1999
22nd November 2010, 10:01 PM
I'm votin' for IB, 'cause he was he only one who followed the rules :P

No matter how diificult it may be, I' SO entering Week 100

noobiess
24th November 2010, 3:16 PM
I vote for innocent bystander.
well I don't think we should quit the wsc, I really like it and it's a really good way for beginning spriters to get better.
I also would suggest making some kind of little tournament to get the people back.
I also hope that some of the old spriters can participate some more so there are alot of spriters to look up too

-Raiga-
24th November 2010, 7:11 PM
well I don't think we should quit the wsc, I really like it and it's a really good way for beginning spriters to get better.

Hard to get better when no one particpates, AND no one crits your work isn't it?

I also would suggest making some kind of little tournament to get the people back.

Because nothing gets people more excited than MORE work to do.

We just had a birthday tournament, does this place look BOOMING with activity to you?

I also hope that some of the old spriters can participate some more so there are alot of spriters to look up too

They shouldn't have to go out of they're way just to make some new guy interested in spriting for a few weeks.

Face it people, if ANYTHING was going to salvage the spriting forum, it would be the wsc itself. And really, is it that difficult to pick up your hand, put it on the mouse and go to a different spriting site?

noobiess
25th November 2010, 1:40 PM
I'm just saying that the wsc is a great way to learn to sprite if there are alot of people. Of ocurse there isn't really much learning when nobody enters the competition.
I don't really think we couldn't draw some people with a tournament. Ok, off course this wsc-B-day tournament wasn't a big hit, but the beginners-class, there where 20 participants of the 20 available spots. So not much more people could really enter the torunament. And we didn't really make any advertising or osmething like that. I think I could do that, so more people could come.
I just think it's worth a shot trying :)

-Raiga-
26th November 2010, 12:51 AM
I'm just saying that the wsc is a great way to learn to sprite if there are alot of people. Of ocurse there isn't really much learning when nobody enters the competition.
I don't really think we couldn't draw some people with a tournament. Ok, off course this wsc-B-day tournament wasn't a big hit, but the beginners-class, there where 20 participants of the 20 available spots. So not much more people could really enter the torunament. And we didn't really make any advertising or osmething like that. I think I could do that, so more people could come.
I just think it's worth a shot trying :)

I understand your intentions, but just the fact this forum has always survived off of itself with no advertising up until now says something.

Add to that, if you really advertise this to others to get them interested, I doubt we'd be attracting the type of people who really love art and want to do it. In the past those were the type of people who started spriting and made crappy fusions for 2 weeks and never did it again, its the people who like art who keep it afloat.

And like I said before, I'm not trying to be a downer, I just think you'll be putting more work in than you or anyone else would really get out of it. Believe me, I've been down the road of trying to attract attention with that Community region a while back, didn't attract anything but a bunch of crappy uninspired ideas from spriters who've been here a while, so I took it down. I know I wouldn't want anyone to basically babysit people like I did.

M4zz
27th November 2010, 10:54 PM
To add to what everyone's going about, the former spriters have left because of inactivity. But their leave is the inactivity. Raiga, maybe putting what we came up with in the SSC into something would bring attention. I constantly have to watch all of you veteran spriters complain that this sub-forum is dead. Why not take action? I do not want this place to end up like the two previous forums that I belonged to.

-Raiga-
28th November 2010, 3:01 AM
To add to what everyone's going about, the former spriters have left because of inactivity. But their leave is the inactivity.

Exactly, so the only logical problem here is why they left. And frankly its because spriting isn't all that exciting. Its something you can't practice without a computer, and completely relies on skills from other creative arts like drawing that you could do much faster and easier.

Raiga, maybe putting what we came up with in the SSC into something would bring attention.

And just what did we come up with? Nothing but a bunch of sprites people just thought they'd throw in from previous projects.

I constantly have to watch all of you veteran spriters complain that this sub-forum is dead. Why not take action? I do not want this place to end up like the two previous forums that I belonged to.

Not really, I'm the only person who has been/is complaining about it, and I'm telling people the truth so they won't waste their time. Its plain and simple, if people don't want to sprite, then they shouldn't have to. You seem to treat this like something that needs to survive, despite its just something that had a good run and can probably stop.

Its not too hard to just remove this subforum and put the spriting tutorials in the main art section.

Innocent Bystander
29th November 2010, 6:45 AM
And just what did we come up with? Nothing but a bunch of sprites people just thought they'd throw in from previous projects.

That's why it closed? I didn't really think it was about that.
Anyway, can I suggest just one big thread for people to post sprites? I know countless newbies have tried it before, but it's worth a shot.

Because if other spriters are like me, and most of the time cannot be bothered updating or starting their sprite threads, it could really work.

EDIT:
Not really, I'm the only person who has been/is complaining about it,
Have you seen my thread?!

-Raiga-
30th November 2010, 4:44 AM
That's why it closed? I didn't really think it was about that.

Well, believe me when I say I would have loved to close it based on the ramblings of people saying "this should be the evil team" or "there should be a pokemon with this type", basically people thinking as little out of the box as humanly possible. However thats hardly a logical reason to close it, but I did close it because of people using sprites from other projects.

The ENTIRE point of it was to get people spriting again, and to have fun. I don't think I'd be alone in thinking there is no possible fun to come with copying the link of a sprite as pasting it the thread...

Anyway, can I suggest just one big thread for people to post sprites? I know countless newbies have tried it before, but it's worth a shot.

Because if other spriters are like me, and most of the time cannot be bothered updating or starting their sprite threads, it could really work.

That doesn't make any sense to me, you don't have time to paste a link in your thread, but you do to post a link in someone else's? I mean, what you're suggesting really is the fan-sprites subforum itself. Plus, I think there is a spriting union here that does that, although I'm not sure.

Have you seen my thread?!

...you mean the one that gets the most posts out of all the current single spriter threads here? I've also posted in it numerous times. Also, as I said before, I would honestly post crit in it, but I'm trying to save black and white sprites until the games get here in america.

Innocent Bystander
1st December 2010, 3:20 AM
Well, believe me when I say I would have loved to close it based on the ramblings of people saying "this should be the evil team" or "there should be a pokemon with this type", basically people thinking as little out of the box as humanly possible. However thats hardly a logical reason to close it, but I did close it because of people using sprites from other projects.

Fair enough. There's alot of logic in that.

...you mean the one that gets the most posts out of all the current single spriter threads here? I've also posted in it numerous times. Also, as I said before, I would honestly post crit in it, but I'm trying to save black and white sprites until the games get here in america.

I didn't mean it like that. It was a joke. But, thank you all the same.

^^Yoshinichi^^
3rd December 2010, 2:06 AM
Guys. I have a project idea under-wraps for the Spriting forum. Anybody interested to hear about it can PM me, but don't spread the word just yet. I need to draw up the rules first, as well as plan out how it'll work.

-Raiga-
3rd December 2010, 4:51 AM
Guys. I have a project idea under-wraps for the Spriting forum. Anybody interested to hear about it can PM me, but don't spread the word just yet. I need to draw up the rules first, as well as plan out how it'll work.

Honestly no offence intented, but this is a sub-forum, of a sub-forum, of a forum on a fansite for pokemon, I highly doubt its the type of thing that needs to be kept away from everyone in secrecy because of the impact it would make on people if they figure out.

If there is any advice I can give you though, just don't plan things out too much, I had everything planned out before hand for that community project, and had to compromise a decent bit to get it approved first.

^^Yoshinichi^^
3rd December 2010, 4:59 AM
Honestly no offence intented, but this is a sub-forum, of a sub-forum, of a forum on a fansite for pokemon, I highly doubt its the type of thing that needs to be kept away from everyone in secrecy because of the impact it would make on people if they figure out.

If there is any advice I can give you though, just don't plan things out too much, I had everything planned out before hand for that community project, and had to compromise a decent bit to get it approved first.
I like surprises, okay? : P It'd be too big a mouthful to explain here, which is why I'm waiting until I ask Sweet May to approve it and what not.

I have planned things out, but definitely in a different way. This project will certainly be something of a different caliber, although I'm sure I'll have to compromise some of the ground rules.