PDA

View Full Version : My First Team

Masteryoshimon
20th December 2010, 2:11 PM
I've always want'ed to do competitive battling, and this is my first team...ever. Suggestions and critiques are valued.

Sazandora
Abillity: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SAttk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
Item: Shell Bell
Attaks:
-Dragon Pulse
-Cheer Up
-Flamethrower
-Flash Cannon/ Tri Attack/ Surf/ Thunder Wave
(How stereotypical, the freakin' powerful dragon)

I planned to use Sazandora as a Special Sweeper. A Cheer Up or two will boost his huge special attack astronomical. Dragon Pulse gets STAB and is pretty powerful. Flamethrower gets bulky Grass,Ice, and Steel. I'm a bit split on the last move slot, Flash Cannon and Surf get pretty good coverage, while Tri Attack does about the same with a chance to burn/freeze/paralyze. Thunder Wave would also be a useful status afflictor. Shell Bell is there to keep it alive as long as possible.

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Attk/ 4 Spd
Items: Leftovers
Attacks:
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Roost
(Haha, Dragonite...what a noob)

The basic Dragonite, Dragon Dance until Attack is insane, then Dragon Claw gets STAB and Earthquake provides pretty good coverage. Roost is there to keep it at full health, which is good 'cause Multiscale halves damage at full health. Leftovers is there to keep it alive.

Metagross
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Impish
Evs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Attk
Items: Light Clay
Attacks:
-Zen Headbutt/ Meteor Mash
-Iron Defense
-Reflect
-Light Screen
(Metagross as a wall...this guy is insane...)

Metagross acts as wall here, rather unorthodox, but I think it'll work. With Impish nature and 252 Def Evs Metagross has a HUGE Defense. Iron Defense+Reflect= 1/4 Physical Attack. Light Screen provides support on the Special end, and Light Clay has it so Reflect and Light Screen don't need to be constantly put up. Zen Headbutt or Meteor Mash are there for attacking purposes, Zen Headbutt has 10% Flinch, while Meteor Mash has a 20% chance of raising Metagross's Attack by 1.

Waruvial
Ability: Intimidate/ Anger Point
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Attk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
Items: Life Orb
Attacks:
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Hone Claws
-Double Edge
(The Sand Crocodile...chosen because he looks cool...and has awesome attack)

Intimidate would help increase Waruvial's lifespan against a Physical attacker, while Anger Point would max his attack. Crunch and Earthquake both get STAB and have pretty good coverage and power. Hone Claws would boost his attack if you don't get the Anger Point boost. Double Edgehas great base power, though the recoil sucks a bit. Life Orb will give a boost to his attacks, making him really, really, really powerful, but he won't last very long.

Mamoswine
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Attk/ 252 HP/ 4 Spd
Items: Muscle Band
Attacks:
-Earthquake
-Icicle Drop
-Toxic
-Rest
(I needed/wanted an ice Pokemon...)

Earthquake and Icicle Drop have STAB and are pretty powerful, giving good coverage. Toxic will help kill stallers, and Rest will help keep him alive. Muscle Band will give a good boost to Physical attacks without side-effects.

Rhyperior
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Attk/ 252 Def/ 4 HP
Items: Muscle Band
Attacks:
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Curse/ Swords Dance
-Poison Jab/ Return
(A sweeper and a slight wall)

Earthquake and Stone Edge are self-explanatory. Curseincreases both Attack and Defense at the price of losing Speed, while Swords Dance only boosts Attack, but for two stages. Poison Jab has a chance of inflicting Poison while Return has a higher base attack. Muscle Band boosts his attacks rather nicely.

That was my very first team that I've created, so don't flame it too badly. Suggestions and critiques are appreciated. Thank you ;munchlax;.

Aurath8
20th December 2010, 5:55 PM
Surf for Sazandora's last slot. Cheer Up is already boosting your Special Attack so Timid is a better nature for it.

I don't understand the lonely nature for Dragonite, Adamant doesn't hurt your defences.

Meteor Mash for Metagross' attacking move. I think Reflect, Impish and maxed EVs will be enough for it's huge defence. In fact Reflect alone is good enough. Give it a +Sdef nature, max Spdef Evs and Earthquake instead of Iron Defence.

Waruvial's ability should definitely be intimidate. Waruvial probably won't survive a crit anyway. Brick Break/Rock Slide should also be used over Double Edge because they both work well with your other moves and hit the Ice type for SE damage which it is weak to. A Jolly nature is best for it as you already boost your attack with Hone Claws.

Sleep Talk over Rest on Mamoswine. Rest leaves you sitting duck without this move.

Ice Punch > Return/Poison Jab as it takes out annoying Dragons among other types.

Well, there are two big concerns for this team:
1. You have four members of your team weak to Ice.
2. 5 of 6 members are physical based.

The Ice weakness is handled reasonably well, only Dragonite and Mamoswine cannot counter them, but something fast enough such as a Frosslass has potential to leave only Metagross and Mamoswine standing.
In-game a team can survive with 5 out 6 members physical-based but competitively your team will be severely crippled with the loss of type variation and biased physical/special split.
The movesets and stategies are great but the pokemon themselves don't work well with eachother, especially defensively.

Masteryoshimon
21st December 2010, 8:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to follow most of it. However, I plan on replacing Mamoswine with Gardevoir for wish support+special wall+special attacker. My question is that if I have Wish support do I still need Roost on my Dragonite? Because if I don't I'm going to make Dragonite a mixed-sweeper. Thanks.

Aurath8
21st December 2010, 3:43 PM
You won't need Roost, but as it's no longer a TM it's quite tedious to get with the pokeshifting and all. If you want to Mix Draggy then:
Dragonite@Life Orb
Hasty/Naive
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt/Draco Meteor

I not to good on mixed Dragons but this looks good enough IMO. I'm not sure on the EVs though, that shall be left in the hands of other raters.

Masteryoshimon
22nd December 2010, 7:28 AM
Thanks, and Dragonite can learn Roost on his own if you were wondering.