PDA

View Full Version : The Battle According to Lenora (674)

Serebii
6th January 2011, 9:25 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/674.jpgShippou Gym Battle! VS Gym Leader Aloe!!

After solving the problem in the museum, it's now time for Ash's Gym match against Aloe. As her Pokémon are of the Normal-type, Ash has no super effective Pokémon so is sure to face a challenge against her Miruhog. However, her Yooterii proves to be an even greater challenge. Will Ash defeat her?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/bestwishes/674.shtml)

Discuss

Ash-kid
6th January 2011, 10:19 AM
So Oshawott lost first to Miruhog, then Yooterii battled Tepig and defeated it.
Aloe definitely knows to switch pokemon when it is needed. Ash should've been smarter. And it seems that Ash felt into Yooterii's sweetness trap. First it is cute, but in the battle it's strong.

Almighty Zard
6th January 2011, 10:37 AM
wait a second, she's allowed to switch pokemon? When's the last time a GL was allowed to do that?

playerking
6th January 2011, 11:02 AM
Really? I first thought Aloe might switch her Pokemon and gym leaders did switch there Pokemon before Ash battles blaine, but since his battle with blaine no switch outs, until i guess this episode.

So what attacks did the Pokemon use?

Pepsi_Plunge
6th January 2011, 11:16 AM
wait a second, she's allowed to switch pokemon? When's the last time a GL was allowed to do that?

Was it ever stated that they couldnt? or you got that from the american version?

I always though they didnt switch because they just didnt want to.

kemal07
6th January 2011, 11:16 AM
Did the opening have new silhouettes or was it the same?

gliscor&yanmega
6th January 2011, 2:27 PM
Just looked at the pictures on Serebii so far.

Ash vs Aloe:
Tepig vs Yooterii-Yooterii uses Roar right away.

Oshawott vs Yooterii-Aloe recalls right away(Wasn't aware Gym Leaders could do that).

Oshawott vs Miruhog-Miruhog uses Mean Look and Ash can't switch. Miruhog wins easily and is recalled.

Tepig vs Yooterii-Yooterii wins easily.

Aloe won without losing a single Pokemon. Ash didn't do that good at all in here. I'm surprise, I though Yooterii would have at less lost but I was basing that on how Gym Leaders can't switch but I guess they can now.

We see the egg in Ash's lap.

Team Rocket steal the meteorite.

The training part is in the next episode as well...something I didn't think would be the case. Hopefully the training doesn't take away from the rematch.

Moves used(By my best judgment):
Yooterii:
Roar
Shadow Ball
Take Down

Miruhog:
Mean Look
Thunderbolt
Low Kick

It was a nice episode. I'm sure it'll be even better when I watch the video of it.

Teshub
6th January 2011, 2:36 PM
Did the opening have new silhouettes or was it the same?

It was the same old intro since the last time. Nothing about it changed.

Nightlingbolt
6th January 2011, 2:37 PM
I have to admit, it threw me for a hell of a loop when Aloe switched Pokemon. I mean, I'm so used to Gym Leaders not being allowed to switch. I guess the rules are different in Unova.

Teshub
6th January 2011, 2:59 PM
I have to admit, it threw me for a hell of a loop when Aloe switched Pokemon. I mean, I'm so used to Gym Leaders not being allowed to switch. I guess the rules are different in Unova.

How exactly? It was similar to the first gym except that instead of 3 people with 1 pokemon each, it was one person with 2 pokemon.

playerking
6th January 2011, 3:00 PM
It was the same old intro since the last time. Nothing about it changed.

Except that all of them are coloured in right from the start.

So someone said that Pokabu vs. Yorterry was the last battle, i was hoping Mijumaru vs. Miruhog would be, oh well.

Teshub
6th January 2011, 3:04 PM
Except that all of them are coloured in right from the start.

So someone said that Pokabu vs. Yorterry was the last battle, i was hoping Mijumaru vs. Miruhog would be, oh well.

I believe they were also all colored in at BW14, the last one to be filled in was Koboar in BW13 (bel's episode).

playerking
6th January 2011, 3:09 PM
Not from the start, but in this episode they were.

Teshub
6th January 2011, 3:15 PM
Not from the start, but in this episode they were.

Koboar was already filled in from the start in the last episode. Other people can confirm this.

garfield15
6th January 2011, 3:25 PM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5184/vlcsnap2011010609h48m48.png
COMPLETELY FABULOUS

-Speaking of the guy, his Sommelier-ness was brought up again so I'm thinking there is something to that. I just don't know what they're doing with it.

-So they replaced the maze with a "test" of sorts, making Satoshi have to choose a book in order to find the gym battle (she was cluing him the whole time by slightly tapping the book at the beginning. Quite smart)

-First of all, HNNNNNNNNGGGHHHH (http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7141/vlcsnap2011010609h47m18.png). Second, I can't believe there's finally a "kawaii" Pokemon that wants to hug Iris. Thought that would have been a running joke. Well, then again, he seemed to like everybody.

-Okay, so the match starts with Yoterii vs. Pokabu but then OH SNAP SON! IT USED ROAR. Then Miju comes out and is half-asleep. Seriously, I loved this part with Miju. He had no idea what he was doing and acted the same way a guy would if you woke him up at 7 am and told him to fight a wrestling match. The best parts were when he was Low Kicked by Miruhogg and when he got up he had this psycho smile and laugh and was all "BRING IT ON!"

-He did well with Satoshi Water Gun'ing Miruhogg from above but he ultimately lost to a Thunderbolt. Then it was Pokabu vs. Yoterii again and it proved clearly why having just Tackle and Ember as moves is a horrible, horrible idea. Yoterii just Take Down'ed that and finished Pokabu off. His dejected face was soooooo adorable.

-Dento having Pikachu on his shoulder was just wrong for some reason

-So I thought the match would be interrupted by the TRio which would lead to a battle over the meteorite, but I guess the writers are done with that cliche and decided to have them steal the thing at night like a sting operation. Okay, they've officially become competent thieves. There's no denying it now.

-With a fully charged Poka and Miju ready for revenge, it's time for training at the Battle Club. (Satoshi's in a swimsuit again? This quickly? :P)

playerking
6th January 2011, 3:25 PM
Uh no, we zoomed past Chaobuu in the last episode opening and it was blank then it was shaded in, now it was already coloured in, no colouring.

Teshub
6th January 2011, 3:47 PM
Uh no, we zoomed past Chaobuu in the last episode opening and it was blank then it was shaded in, now it was already coloured in, no colouring.

That might be it, in the zoom part it could been dark but then shaded in. But on the last episode, in the last part of the opening, it already looked colored.

The episode way okay, nothing out of the ordinary unless people start making a big deal about Aloe somehow switching pokemon, but it was not mid-battle but after one pokemon fainted. They also designed Aloe very thick, she looks almost as wide as as Don George.

Crystal_Power
6th January 2011, 3:54 PM
I totally loved this episode, I can't wait until Ash has his rematch with Aloe.

Also to the people wondering why Aloe can switch her Pokemon in a Gym Battle, the reason is because she's just so awesome, that she can do that. :)

Cazak
6th January 2011, 4:07 PM
Tepig and Oshawot were taken out fairly easily. What were TR doing, and what did Don Quixote tell Ash.

garfield15
6th January 2011, 4:12 PM
What were TR doing,
Stealing and switching the real meteorite for the fake one.

and what did Don Quixote tell Ash.
(Don Quixote?)

Satoshi wanted some help to beat Aloe and he was basically saying he was going to put him through some very tough training

Teshub
6th January 2011, 4:21 PM
The episode was pretty much Ash getting pwnted and him getting angry at several things, but then realizing he has been taking it easy too much and needs to toughen up and be manly.

TheNewGuy
6th January 2011, 4:28 PM
Aloe being allowed to switch Pokemon was a total asspull. Not being able to switch has been standard rules for a while now.

It'll only be justified if every other leader in the region is also allowed to switch, because then it will be fair.

garfield15
6th January 2011, 4:34 PM
First of all, that was never said as a rule.

Second, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe the rule for the gym match was a 2v2 but the Pokemon they picked had to fight the Pokemon they went up against. That's why when Poka was Roar'ed out, she switched to Miruhogg.

Teshub
6th January 2011, 4:58 PM
That whole roar thing was kind of dumb, im not sure what was the point.

MidnightMelody
6th January 2011, 5:00 PM
That might be it, in the zoom part it could been dark but then shaded in. But on the last episode, in the last part of the opening, it already looked colored.

The episode way okay, nothing out of the ordinary unless people start making a big deal about Aloe somehow switching pokemon, but it was not mid-battle but after one pokemon fainted. They also designed Aloe very thick, she looks almost as wide as as Don George.

Who cares?! Wow people complain about the little things. Not really watching this ep since once the dub starts I'll just be watching it and not coming here for spoilers anymore. But from the sound it seems like it was not the best battle

kemal07
6th January 2011, 5:08 PM

Well Aloe is a Gym Leader and they do have to fight as hard as they can no matter how close they are with Ash beforehand. So I was thinking that Roar might of been Aloe's tactic in order to get a sneak peak of Ash's second Pokemon therefore leaving her to switch out if she felt a bit threatened by it or maybe saving best to last even though Miruhog is probably her main Pokemon out of the two.

gliscor&yanmega
6th January 2011, 5:15 PM
The episode was pretty much Ash getting pwnted and him getting angry at several things, but then realizing he has been taking it easy too much and needs to toughen up and be manly.

Well there is also Team Rocket now having the meteorite. Also, Ash didn't look angry more frustrated if anything.

To know what Pokemon Ash has and will be using, so Aloe can then think of a strategy to beat them.

It can also catch you off guard and that could affect your game.

EDIT: Also, just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's dumb.

Chimchar15
6th January 2011, 5:33 PM
These last two gym matches were better than a majority of the ones in DP. Seriously the anime cast is doing a great job. I can't wait for next week's episode. Also Teshub stop being so picky. What you dislike about the episode has more to do with you rather than the actual episode itself.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
6th January 2011, 6:29 PM
So...how many seconds of screen time did team rocket have in this episode? 10 seconds or 30 seconds?

_Taidow_
6th January 2011, 6:31 PM
1. Yootery was so "kawaii" lol

2. Aloe switching pokemon makes sense since in Unova they migth have different views on GLs switching pokemon.

3. Mijumaru is psychotic lol.

4. MijumAru and Pokabu have gotten OHKO'd too easily lately. Its embarrasing. Ash needs to train more.

5. I had a feeling Ash was going to lose 2-0.

6. Dent w/ Pikachu looked wierd.

7. Team Rocket was impressive tday.

Teshub
6th January 2011, 6:39 PM
Well there is also Team Rocket now having the meteorite. Also, Ash didn't look angry more frustrated if anything.

To know what Pokemon Ash has and will be using, so Aloe can then think of a strategy to beat them.

It can also catch you off guard and that could affect your game.

EDIT: Also, just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's dumb.

I see how you needed to do that edit because it would have been pointless to roar when there are only 2 vs 2. It offered no strategical advantage except starting out with two different pokemon. It's not like she could rawr and then picked something suitable to battle mijumaru, because she only has 1 option only, the meerhug.

dman_dustin
6th January 2011, 6:42 PM
First of all, that was never said as a rule.

Maybe not in Unova but it has been in the other regions.

Or were you referring to Unova specifically?

Really? I first thought Aloe might switch her Pokemon and gym leaders did switch there Pokemon before Ash battles blaine, but since his battle with blaine no switch outs, until i guess this episode. Well ignoring the fact that was Kanto where battles weren't exactly written very well, it wouldn't really count. Since thankfully Johto introduced referees to the battle, making battles a bit better.

So...how many seconds of screen time did team rocket have in this episode? 10 seconds or 30 seconds? I'd have to say their switching sequence was fairly long, so about 30 seconds, maybe more.

Krizor
6th January 2011, 6:46 PM
These last two gym matches were better than a majority of the ones in DP.

I beg to differ.

The first 2 Gym matches in DP had a lot more going on with them with Paul battling Roark, Roark's Cranidos evolving, and Ash battling Gardenia in the forest before their official match. Not to mention Ash was also a lot more focused on training for his battles than he is now. The 2 Gym matches Ash has had in BW were pretty straight forward with very little build up, which made them a lot less exciting in my opinion.

This match was OK at best, hopefully the rematch will be a lot better.

random_person#4840
6th January 2011, 6:46 PM
I see how you needed to do that edit because it would have been pointless to roar when there are only 2 vs 2. It offered no strategical advantage except starting out with two different pokemon. It's not like she could rawr and then picked something suitable to battle mijumaru, because she only has 1 option only, the meerhug.

Maybe it was to force Ash into using the 2 pokemon he had. Maybe he didn't want to use Mijumaru but since it was forced out, he had to use the two he ended up showing instead of using pikachu or snivy as the second pokemon.

gliscor&yanmega
6th January 2011, 6:56 PM
So...how many seconds of screen time did team rocket have in this episode? 10 seconds or 30 seconds?

They got about a minute and 20 seconds.

Speaking of them, the way they stole the meteorite was pretty awesome to me. Just shows how awesome they are.

It wasn't pointless.

This is how it went:
Yooterii vs Tepig-Aloe had Yooterii use Roar to see Ash's other Pokemon.
Yooterii vs Oshawott-Aloe recalls Yooterii because Oshawott is a Water type.
Miruhog vs Oshawott-Ash goes to recall, but Aloe doesn't want that and blocks it. She then uses Miruhog's Thunderbolt against Oshawott, providing an advantage for her thanks to the use of Roar.

It was a strategy she used, to see what Ash had and act on what she sees best fit. She figured Miruhog's Thunderbolt would be useful so she used Miruhog instead of Yooterii. It wasn't pointless.

RickHoenn
6th January 2011, 6:56 PM
These last two gym matches were better than a majority of the ones in DP. Seriously the anime cast is doing a great job. I can't wait for next week's episode. Also Teshub stop being so picky. What you dislike about the episode has more to do with you rather than the actual episode itself.

This.

I got more pumped of the BW gym battles because of the pace and so far they haven't been disappointing.

It was torturing to wait for 20 or 30 or 50 episodes for a gym battle.

Aloe looks so cool and Yoterri(?) is so kawaii, Great strategy Aloe used in this battle, LOL @ people calling this pointless! and seeing Team Rocket being competent after 12 years is always a relief!

Again like Shooti's case, Ash deserved to lose, come on! you need to train more, Oshawott & Tepig are far behind Pika & Snivy. ._.

gliscor&yanmega
6th January 2011, 6:58 PM
Maybe it was to force Ash into using the 2 pokemon he had. Maybe he didn't want to use Mijumaru but since it was forced out, he had to use the two he ended up showing instead of using pikachu or snivy as the second pokemon.

Pretty sure that's not the case. I think you have to decide which Pokemon you'll use before challenging. It always seems that way to me.

dman_dustin
6th January 2011, 7:07 PM
Pretty sure that's not the case. I think you have to decide which Pokemon you'll use before challenging. It always seems that way to me.

That would explain why she used roar. Because if Ash chose before the battle then that would make sense then.

But unless the Poke balls and Pokemon (Yorterri) and moves are really sentient (as in it's roar attack). Even if Ash chose Tepig and Oshawott, why would roar work as it was intended to do so? Seems like it would only work if Ash's other Pokemon were in his backpack and not on him.

Then again I wondered why there was a scene showing Ash holding two Poke balls.

kemal07
6th January 2011, 7:23 PM

I know it's a shame James doesn't even have a Pokemon yet and we have not seen much of Jessie's Koromori at all.

wind21
6th January 2011, 7:33 PM
A really good episode on its own, a bad episode in continuity.

Brock (I mean, Dento) did a ton of talking. This was horrific development for Dento b/c he's the EXACT same as Brock in these gym battles. Always serious looking throughout the match, while Iris was playing Dawn, smiling in anticipation. I don't know why it never struck me either until this episode, but Dento is way taller than Ash and Iris-there was one scene where Iris and Ash were shown at about eye level walking, and then Dento walked by, and he was so much taller-his face wasn't even shown; I always remember Dawn and Ash were about the same heights, while Brock was a good deal taller. This episode could just as easily had Brock in Dento's place at the gym, and you wouldn't have known the difference at all-and that's very, very, very, very bad.

The battle itself was pretty good. I liked at how Ash wasn't put off by the attitude change in Aloe's dog pokemon, showing how he was really taking the battle seriously. That's really good. Also the way Piplup's cousin fired water gun (I think that was water gun) was also nice; seemed like it curled a little, which I, using a little imagination, can take to mean Ash has done some training. Not bad. Overall, Ash's composure during the battle was nice to see, except for 1 scene which really annoyed me.

What I didn't like was 2 things. One was where Ash started jumping for joy at how Piplup's cousin managed to defend against the thunderbolt by using its shell. As we saw later on in the episode, if that thunderbolt had landed, it would have been a KO. I don't see why Ash would be excited over dodging a hit that he has to dodge. It's not like him, and it was only encouraging Piplup's cousin's attitude that it's so great-an attitude which I personally dislike, so take this criticism with a grain of salt. Aloe even made Ash's reaction look even worse in how she recognized all she needed to do was get rid of the shell, which she skillfully accomplished. Ash had no plan B (the way he was celebrating, it didn't look like he even had a Plan A; he was never that excited over the moves he worked so hard on in Hoenn or in Sinnoh when he used them in gym battles, and maybe that's b/c he expected those moves to work with all of the practice he put in).

The 2nd thing is my major nitpick with this episode. Why did Ash look so depressed after the loss? Like he had no idea what to do. Hasn't he lost gym battles before? He's always been driven to figure out what to do himself, often doing special training with the same pokemon. He certainly never showed that type of extreme doubt in himself in those episodes (Anabel, Brandon, Roark, Gardenia, Fantina; my favorite one is Brawly, where he was actually upset for losing). I very much dislike Ash's immediate reaction to his loss; he looked sort of like Dawn.

Finally, I really hope this is the end of Ash being overpowered in battles for awhile, b/c it's getting to be too much. Takuto, Shooti, and Aloe make four huge battles pretty close to each other where Ash has been totally overmatched-and seemingly, doesn't mind it too much.

garfield15
6th January 2011, 7:44 PM
This episode could just as easily had Brock in Dento's place at the gym, and you wouldn't have known the difference at all-and that's very, very, very, very bad.
Ah, but you wouldn't have gotten the Sommelier discussion or the sparkles. Seriously, if it was Brock, you wouldn't have had that FABULOUS moment at all and just short things like that are all I need to separate the two.

What I didn't like was 2 things. One was where Ash started jumping for joy at how Piplup's cousin managed to defend against the thunderbolt by using its shell. As we saw later on in the episode, if that thunderbolt had landed, it would have been a KO. I don't see why Ash would be excited over dodging a hit that he has to dodge.
Well, because it wasn't dodging. It was blocking. Satoshi always gets happy over "my pokemon can do stuff yours can't" stuff. And there isn't anything wrong with psyching Miju up.

Raichu:)
6th January 2011, 8:03 PM
i like the pics of the ep, but ash seriously needs to toughen up i mean all these regions and can't give pokemon proper moves lol.

also stop callin ash satoshi. we all know hes called ash grr

JennaJayfeather
6th January 2011, 8:13 PM
Ah, but you wouldn't have gotten the Sommelier discussion or the sparkles. Seriously, if it was Brock, you wouldn't have had that FABULOUS moment at all and just short things like that are all I need to separate the two.

This. That was pretty much my favorite part of this whole episode. (don't get me wrong, I liked the episode, but atm Gym Battles are boring me ^^; )

I laughed at what sounded like Aloe calling Dento "Sommelier Boy" X3 another part I loved about the episode was Yorterri. It's sooooo cute!! It reminds me of my dogs so much XDDDD being all hyper and friendly and wagging it's tail then suddenly GRRRRRRRRRRR xDDDDDDDD

gliscor&yanmega
6th January 2011, 9:05 PM
That would explain why she used roar. Because if Ash chose before the battle then that would make sense then.

But unless the Poke balls and Pokemon (Yorterri) and moves are really sentient (as in it's roar attack). Even if Ash chose Tepig and Oshawott, why would roar work as it was intended to do so? Seems like it would only work if Ash's other Pokemon were in his backpack and not on him.

Then again I wondered why there was a scene showing Ash holding two Poke balls.

I assume that scene with Ash holding two of his Pokeballs was implying(Or actually saying(I don't understand Japanese so I don't know what was said)) he selected those two to battle. Don't know what else it could mean.

Also, I think Roar would just call out another Pokemon the opponent was going to use. So the Pokemon Ash planned not using wouldn't be affected just the other Pokemon Ash planned to use, in this case it was Oshawott.

It's hard to say really since we don't always get an explanation and it's mainly just implication.

i like the pics of the ep, but ash seriously needs to toughen up i mean all these regions and can't give pokemon proper moves lol.

also stop callin ash satoshi. we all know hes called ash grr

First off, any move can be used to a degree where any of them can destroy you. So Ember and Tackle while not the greatest for in-game, they can knock out 5 Pokemon at once in the anime(I'm exaggerating(Then again I think moves have been used in the anime to take down a bunch of Pokemon at once...)).

Second off, Ash has "given" most if not all his Pokemon decent and/or proper and/or power moves in terms of in-game power. It's just it's done later, which is very reasonable since most of the Pokemon seem to lack experience from the start so their is a ton of potential down the road for them. Also, a lot of the time it's not even the trainer's decision to "give" a Pokemon a move, it just happens on it's own, at less that's how it usually is in Ash's case. But still, Ash hasn't had his Pokemon(Besides Pikachu) for that long yet so he's still getting use to them and such.

Third off, Ash will be training next episode with Tepig and Oshawott, which in turn will toughen them and him up.

Fourth off, Satoshi is Ash's Japanese name, so people have the right to use it since it is his name. Now if they were calling Ash "Bob" then that would be an incorrect name and would be a variety of things. Although they can call him "Bob" if they like there is no law against it, but it would be incorrect and would lead to possible confusion and overall just make the people calling Ash "Bob" rather ignorant. But regardless, calling him Satoshi is a choice and people can call that if they like, especially since it is his name.

JennaJayfeather
6th January 2011, 10:11 PM
Fourth off, Satoshi is Ash's Japanese name, so people have the right to use it since it is his name. Now if they were calling Ash "Bob" then that would be an incorrect name and would be a variety of things. Although they can call him "Bob" if they like there is no law against it, but it would be incorrect and would lead to possible confusion and overall just make the people calling Ash "Bob" rather ignorant. But regardless, calling him Satoshi is a choice and people can call that if they like, especially since it is his name.

Well.....in the second Pokemon movie DUB he did say he wished his mom named him Bob instead of Ash. XDDDD but I agree. I think people should be able to call Ash Satoshi if they'd like, coz after all that is his name. (so.......can we start calling him Bob too? jk)

Chill92
6th January 2011, 10:37 PM
So 2-0 huh? Well Aloe's strategy was extremly good, forcing Miju out to use her Mirhogo's thunderbolt against it. Then removing the shell brilliant. When it was spinning around like that, it kinda reminded me of counter shield technique lol. Yorterry was a toughie too. I thought it was gonna evolve this ep

Team Rocket being cool as usual :P
I'm really wondering if the lid and wing fossils are connected with that meteorite.

Teshub
6th January 2011, 11:32 PM
So 2-0 huh? Well Aloe's strategy was extremly good, forcing Miju out to use her Mirhogo's thunderbolt against it. Then removing the shell brilliant. When it was spinning around like that, it kinda reminded me of counter shield technique lol. Yorterry was a toughie too. I thought it was gonna evolve this ep

Looked to me more like the writers making Ash lose the battle (hence the training episode) without making his pokemon look like complete losers. I also find it interesting how some people who haven't even seen the full episode, only screenscaps, are assuring us the gym episodes are so much better than anything than was ever done in DP. Gotta love feigned demagoguery.

garfield15
6th January 2011, 11:49 PM
Looked to me more like the writers making Ash lose the battle (hence the training episode) without making his pokemon look like complete losers. I also find it interesting how some people who haven't even seen the full episode, only screenscaps, are assuring us the gym episodes are so much better than anything than was ever done in DP. Gotta love feigned demagoguery.
Or maybe the full episode has been out for like 8 hours now so at this point, it's been well seen and you just can't accept that people think differently from you.

Teshub
7th January 2011, 12:09 AM
Or maybe the full episode has been out for like 8 hours now so at this point, it's been well seen and you just can't accept that people think differently from you.

Hey friend, Im just telling it how it is. Like gliscor&yanmega talking about how this was such a great episode just by looking at the screencaps.

Juputoru
7th January 2011, 12:17 AM
-Looks like the OP is staying as-is for a while. No new silouettes for us!
-All these bookshelves are giving me horrible flashbacks to doing this gym in the games. So many questions, such nonexistant ability to read Japanese!
-Why are they getting derailed with Dento's talk of Pokemon Sommeliers?
-I sympathize with how confused Ash is right now.
-Oh, of COURSE the first book Ash tries is the right one.
-...did Aloe just call Dento "sommelier boy"?
-Seriously, what the hell is everyone saying. I'm totally lost.
-Gym battle time at last!
-Iris thinks Yorterrie is adorable. Of course.
-The fact that that one guy is calling his WIFE "Mama" still freaks me out.
-Aloe IS calling Dento "sommelier boy"! That's great. As is Dento being completely ~fabulous~ in the previous scene.
-Ash sends out Pokabu, but Aloe has her Yorterrie roar it away! Thus accomplishing...uh...something.
-Awww, lookit Mijumaru's -_- face right after it gets sent out.
-And now Mirhog used Mean Eye on Mijumaru. I guess Aloe's trying to throw off whatever strategy Ash had planned, but...yeah, I'm not buying it.
-I love how Mijumaru's just all "what" about all this.
-...hey wait a minute, why the hell is Pikachu hanging out on Dento's shoulder? Come to think of it, why is everyone standing on the sidelines in the first place? I seem to recall most gyms having loads of bleachers. Sure, the audience was never big enough to make them worth it, but THEY STILL HAD BLEACHERS.
-...and now Mijumaru just looks scary. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Juputoru/snapshot20110106161703.jpg)
-Aloe looks surprised that Mijimaru can guard against electric attacks.
-That Miruhog is quite a breakdancer.
-And Mijumaru is DOWN!
-Aloe brings Yorterrie back in and...heyyyy, wait a minute! Now that I think about it, since when do GLs get to switch Pokemon mid-battle? ALOE IS CLEARLY CHEATING.
-Ash lost with record speed! Not that I blame him; Aloe is a ***** to beat even in the games. How can one Miruhog and one Harderrier hit so hard. HOW.
-Ash is moping...and resting his head on the egg. The writers have to remind people that it exists at least once an episode, you know!
-Iris and Dento give Ash lots of advice, and...it's just making Ash more frustrated! But at least it snapped him out of his funk, and now he's ready to train for a rematch!
-Joy suggests that Ash go to the Battle Club. That...makes sense, really.
-Meanwhile, TR is doing stuff in the museum. Zzz.
-Their meteorite switch goes off without a hitch. That's nice, I guess. God, I want some real action in this subplot again. :(
-This is the most dramatic entry into a battle club EVER.

My final opinion: An interesting episode that would be more interesting if I had any idea what people were saying. Fortunately, I'm sure that once I read what everyone else is say, I'll find out what I want to know!

garfield15
7th January 2011, 1:54 AM
Dude, come to New York. You hear that here all the time.

Cobalt_Latios
7th January 2011, 1:57 AM
-Ash lost with record speed! Not that I blame him; Aloe is a ***** to beat even in the games. [SIZE="1"]How can one Miruhog and one Harderrier hit so hard. HOW.
I'm actually glad for this. I've always sort of that this thing about seeing how the things from the games are adapted into the anime, and I'm glad that Aloe's ridiculous difficulty curve is shown here.

Also, what the hell does Mean Eye do anyways?

My final opinion: An interesting episode that would be more interesting if I had any idea what people were saying. Fortunately, I'm sure that once I read what everyone else is say, I'll find out what I want to know!
Subs don't usually take that long to be released. Which reminds me, I should go and watch the Desumas episode subbed to know what I wasn't aware of.

I'll have to watch this soon. Even though Ash does lose, there are a few things that seem to be quite amusing. And I'm all up for that.

C_L

Teshub
7th January 2011, 2:07 AM
Dude, come to New York. You hear that here all the time.

Nobody calls other women "mama" in New York. The closest thing is "ma" to females but that's usually said by hoodrats than cultured people.

Shneak
7th January 2011, 2:10 AM
I didn't really like the episode that much. I guess it's because it had a lot of talking, and I don't understand anything. And the gym battle was pretty short and boring.

Next episode will probably be better.

Kirby2000
7th January 2011, 4:50 AM

Well really that seems common.

From Bublapedia in Kidachi profile

'He calls Aloe "Mama," in the way married adults will call themselves "mama" or "papa" instead of by their names.'

dman_dustin
7th January 2011, 4:55 AM
Also, what the hell does Mean Eye do anyways? It's actual English name is Mean Look. And in case you still don't know what it does, it prevents a trainer from recalling their Pokemon.

Nobody calls other women "mama" in New York. The closest thing is "ma" to females but that's usually said by hoodrats than cultured people.

Even if I live in a different state, and even if they are probably old enough to be the parents of Aloe and Kidachi, my grandparents call each other "Daddy" and "Mother" respectively even if they are married (and have no relation outside of marriage to each other).

Even though I know about it (and should be used to it), I still find it awkward to hear them call each other that. Which is why I find Kidachi just nonchalantly calling his wife "Mama" just that much awkward.

However if I'm not mistaken, B/W isn't the first time this has happened. If I remember correctly, I think one of the ranger games had this as well with one of their married couples. Still creepy though.

Juputoru
7th January 2011, 5:42 AM
Well really that seems common.

From Bublapedia in Kidachi profile

'He calls Aloe "Mama," in the way married adults will call themselves "mama" or "papa" instead of by their names.'
I haven't seen any cases of this in real life, and I haven't noticed it happening a lot in fiction, so I maintain that this is weird! I mean, far be it from me to dictate what people call each other in private, but calling your partner mama/papa just brings disturbingly Freudian things to my mind.

It's actual English name is Mean Look.
Yes it is! Where did they get that name from, anyw...

-And now Mirhog used Mean Eye
oops.

Can the thinly-veiled racism. You've toned it down a lot in the past few months, don't let it start coming back(and earning you infractions) now.

Subs don't usually take that long to be released. Which reminds me, I should go and watch the Desumas episode subbed to know what I wasn't aware of.
Reminder to everyone: Don't talk about subbed episodes around here. It's against the rules!

Cazak
7th January 2011, 6:36 AM
This was a good episode. I look forward to the training that Ash is gonna do now.

Locormus
7th January 2011, 12:38 PM
Koboar was already filled in from the start in the last episode. Other people can confirm this.

It was colored in in BW014, now it was colored in from the start. Meaning that there would be no progression in the next episode for the opening. Meaning that there might be a new one, with Miruhog, Desumas and Yooterri being colored in.. But that's just speculation, and wishful thinking.

Stealing and switching the real meteorite for the fake one.

Satoshi wanted some help to beat Aloe and he was basically saying he was going to put him through some very tough training

Team Rocket was epic indeed in doing so! xD

Satoshi wanted help to beat Aloe, and Don George reckonized the hardship that Aloe poses to trainers and her skills. One thing that was noted throughout the battle was the speed of which Yooterri and Miruhog moved. That's why Mijumaru and Pokabu will learn the moves they are going to learn: Aqua Jet and Nitro Charge.

No, they weren't. The majority of the gym battles were quite good. These two gym battles weren't that good.

Sanyou Gym: Unique idea, with spreading the gymleaders and all that, I liked that a lot. Though Pokabu beating a Fire type that has Dig with Tackle and Ember stretched it for me. Really considering the fact that Ember really does nothing when used against anything.. Yooterri rammed straight through it feeling nothing. Pikachu's loss was believable in my opinion due to Mud Sport. Mijumaru beating Yanappu was all due to the shell miraculously aka DEM (as a god given gift) returning to Mijumaru's palm due to a miraculous strategy Ash came up with using rocks as a deflective medium for Water Gun to retrieve the shell... and then beat a Grass type with a Water type move...

So yeah, the only thing I could believe about the first gym was Pikachu losing to Hiyappu, which was stretching it, considering Pikachu tieing with Latios just eight episodes prior?

The disliked the second gym battle because of the general slowness and uneventfulness:

Pokabu vs. Yooterri:
- Pokabu can't even use Ember before..
- Roar
Mijumaru vs. Miruhoggu:
- Mean Look
- Water Gun <- Didn't hit.
- Low Kick
- Thunderbolt <-Deflected, but six moves in three minutes... That's too slow for me.
- Tackle <- Didn't hit.
- Water Gun <- Only move Ash succesfully landed..
- Shell Blade and Slam clash <- Causes Mijumaru to lose its shell.
- Thunderbolt
Pokabu vs. Yooterri:
- Tackle <- Didn't hit.
- Shadow Ball
- Ember <- Hits though not felt at all
- Take Down <- Charges in through the Ember not stopping at all...

The gym battle lasted about seven minutes. Fourteen moves were used, that's two per minute.. How's that good? That's awefully slow! Mostly contributed by nonesensicle dialogue that distracts a lot, especially while there's music playing that should've been played when there was action, but at the time wasn't. Mijumaru vs. Miruhog was good, but should've been done in about 2.5 minutes, but lasted about 4.20.. What I mean with slow is that there's usually two moves used by two pokemon at the same time, resulting in action lasting about 10 seconds, and then we get dialogue upon dialogue for 50 seconds..

If it were 50/50 then I wouldn't be upset. Or if the action overall was worthwhile. Now the only thing I found appealing was Yooterri using Roar and Miruhoggu breakdancing and using Slam to counter Shell Blade. The rest was unappealing at best.

Maybe it was due to knowing how it would end, but still.. Everytime I see Pokabu use Ember I start to yawn as it does nothing. The entire animation for it is just as weak as the damage that it does do...

I beg to differ.

The first 2 Gym matches in DP had a lot more going on with them with Paul battling Roark, Roark's Cranidos evolving, and Ash battling Gardenia in the forest before their official match. Not to mention Ash was also a lot more focused on training for his battles than he is now. The 2 Gym matches Ash has had in BW were pretty straight forward with very little build up, which made them a lot less exciting in my opinion.

This match was OK at best, hopefully the rematch will be a lot better.

Cranidos didn't evolve in the gym battle.. If you're going to count the first three gym battles of DP (battle, rematch, Gardenia), then do so after Ash's rematch with Aloe, as then the number would be even. But I still don't agree with you though. Ash vs. Roark1 was better then Ash vs. Aloe1, but Ash vs. Gardenia was just kinda as uninteresting as Ash vs. Elemental Monkeys..

He said 'majority', not 'ever done'.. There's a distinct nuance there that differentiates between not liking any, and not liking most.

They actually had quite the epic scene this time, worth to watch, moreso then the gym battle ;) It's followed up with a epic scene of the group entering a Battle Club as well, with the earth trembling and Ash and Don George doing what looks like a Might Guy and Rock Lee pose from Naruto! xD

Short things and sparkles which Brock gets when he gets flirty with Joy? Yeah, Dento = Brock.. Dento is fabolous/gay (in the British sense of the word), Brock is straight.. Big deal..

I didn't really like the episode that much. I guess it's because it had a lot of talking, and I don't understand anything. And the gym battle was pretty short and boring.

Next episode will probably be better.

I agree.. The gym battle was short, but mostly slow and like you said, heavy on the Brock-style dialogue. His spirit lives on! :D

garfield15
7th January 2011, 2:47 PM
Short things and sparkles which Brock gets when he gets flirty with Joy? Yeah, Dento = Brock.. Dento is fabolous/gay (in the British sense of the word), Brock is straight.. Big deal..
No, no. Brock's sparkles came because he was flirting. That's the typical bishie sparkle used for attracting girls. Dento sparkle is for no other reason than to be fabulous. And he has food puns in English. Brock is not fabulous nor does he have food puns in English.

Chimchar15
7th January 2011, 2:49 PM
In my opinion they were better. To me most of the Sinnoh gym battles felt weak. There was a lack of creativity. Don't get me wrong some matches like hearthome are exceptions but I didn't like what I saw. In these last two battles I saw Ash use his head a lot more which is good. I really hope he keeps it up.

Teshub
7th January 2011, 3:36 PM
In my opinion they were better. To me most of the Sinnoh gym battles felt weak. There was a lack of creativity. Don't get me wrong some matches like hearthome are exceptions but I didn't like what I saw. In these last two battles I saw Ash use his head a lot more which is good. I really hope he keeps it up.

How did Ash use his head more in the Unova gyms so far? He acted temperamental, and the only noticeable difference is Mijumaru/Oshawott showing more personality. Besides that I don't see this mastermind Ash people are fictionalizing recently.

gliscor&yanmega
7th January 2011, 3:37 PM
Well.....in the second Pokemon movie DUB he did say he wished his mom named him Bob instead of Ash. XDDDD but I agree. I think people should be able to call Ash Satoshi if they'd like, coz after all that is his name. (so.......can we start calling him Bob too? jk)

I don't know if you're joking or not lol. If that really happened then wow lol.

Hey friend, Im just telling it how it is. Like gliscor&yanmega talking about how this was such a great episode just by looking at the screencaps.

I never said it was a great episode from looking at the pictures. I said it was nice. Pictures aren't worthless, they can tell you what's going on. And besides, I did watch the video of it afterwards. If I like what I see from the pictures then it's most likely going to be even better in video format, which is the case always for me. There was nothing wrong with the episode.

Krizor
7th January 2011, 9:06 PM
Cranidos didn't evolve in the gym battle.. If you're going to count the first three gym battles of DP (battle, rematch, Gardenia), then do so after Ash's rematch with Aloe, as then the number would be even. But I still don't agree with you though. Ash vs. Roark1 was better then Ash vs. Aloe1, but Ash vs. Gardenia was just kinda as uninteresting as Ash vs. Elemental Monkeys..

I know Cranidos didn't evolve during the battle, I just made mention of it because it's evolution did play a role in it.

And I totally disagree that Gardenia's match was uniteresting since it had build up from the previous battle in the forest and the overall match was a lot more entertaining to me than the Sanyou City Gym battle in BW.

Sabonea_Masukippa
7th January 2011, 10:51 PM
Ok, so I don't know if this is news or not but in Aloe's gym (in the anime) challengers must pick two Pokemon to battle with and both parties are free to switch as they please. Dent comments that 'each gym has their own way of doing things'. Dunno if the switches were causing as much hate here as on bulbagarden but just thought I'd mention it.

garfield15
7th January 2011, 11:00 PM
Ok, so I don't know if this is news or not but in Aloe's gym (in the anime) challengers must pick two Pokemon to battle with and both parties are free to switch as they please. Dent comments that 'each gym has their own way of doing things'. Dunno if the switches were causing as much hate here as on bulbagarden but just thought I'd mention it.
Oh my god, thank you. Thank you for someone else mentioning this.

This "switching" rage is what happens when people don't know what's fully going on in an episode.

gliscor&yanmega
7th January 2011, 11:04 PM

Really now, well this could be interesting if each gym ends up doing something different from the last.

JennaJayfeather
7th January 2011, 11:17 PM
I don't know if you're joking or not lol. If that really happened then wow lol.

Yep! That did happen in the dub, I remember it well. ;) However I did use it in a jokingly, happy-go-lucky sort of way :D

Lorde
7th January 2011, 11:24 PM
Well, this was a predictable episode. I finally watched this one, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth. Well, it was nice to return to the library-portion of the Shippou City museum at the beginning of the episode. It looked like there were people in there studying. I wonder if Aloe teaches a class. I hope not. When Kidachi opened that door at the end of the library, I thought we'd see the battle field but instead, there were just more books. LOLWOTT? Dento and Aloe seemed to have a conversation while there. I think Dento introduced himself, so that must mean he didn't know her before. Oops. Anyway, it seemed that Ash had to solve a quick puzzle before the battle, which isn't something that usually happens, so I liked that little change. Ash chose a book from the bookcase near Aloe, and the staircase to the battle field was revealed. How very accurate to the in-game events. I noticed that Kidachi was still calling Aloe, "mama". That does sound really awkward. I know that it's a term of endearment, but it sounds weird. Those two are just an odd couple. Well, Aloe then talked about something involving kids choosing books, so I guess she was mentioning previous challengers or something. Whatever, I doubt it was relevant to the events that were happening. Aloe then showed Ash and friends to the battle field. Finally, geez. Was all that stuff back there, just filler material to make this episode longer? I think so! We got some neat Isshu route music as Ash got all excited about the battle. Geez Ash, don't wet yourself. Aloe then did something I hadn't expected: she put on her apron. What?! I thought for sure that she would keep it off for the battle. Whatever. Aloe then sent out Miruhoggu, which scared the living daylights out of me! I mean, look at those eyes! AHHH! Aloe then sent out her next Pokemon, a Yooterii. Wow, I thought it looked really cute, and apparently so did Iris. Iris started to pet it, and it looked happy enough. Yooterii licking Ash's face was cute. Hmm. WiseDogShipping, anyone? Haha, I'm kidding. Dento did something faaaabulous, and then Kidachi explained more about the battle. Anyway, the battle finally started, after about 10 minutes of filler talking scenes. Aloe chose to use Yooterii as her first Pokemon, but Yooterii looked really vicious at the start of the battle. Even Iris noticed and she looked shocked. God, I hope that for Ash's sake, that dog had its rabies shots. Ash sent out Pokabu as his first Pokemon. That choice wasn't my personal favorite though, but whatever.; I learned to live with it. Just as Ash was going to have Pokabu use Ember, Aloe's Yooterii used Roar attack. Haha, I guess its bark was worse than its bite. Anyway, that attack sent Pokabu back into its Pokeball and Mijumaru was sent out! Yessssss! It looked so cute since it had apparently been sleeping. It started freaking out when it realized that it was no longer safe inside of its Pokeball. Haha, Mijumaru never gets old.

Aloe then did something strange: she recalled Yooterii. What what what?! Since when are Gym Leaders allowed to recall Pokemon? I thought that one of the rules was that they couldn't, and only the challenger could. Cheater! Aloe sent out Miruhoggu, and even Mijumaru seemed to dislike the beast haha. Ash was going to recall it, but Miruhoggu used Mean Look. Fudge! I guess Aloe knows her strategies. Mijumaru looked pissed though haha. It used Water Gun on Miruhoggu, but that didn't work and it just got hit by Low Kick. Wow, that thing was fast. Mijumaru was angry, and it finally got serious. Miruhoggu used Thunderbolt, but Mijumaru deflected it with its shell. Yay! Aloe looked stunned, but I still knew she was a real challenge. Mijumaru managed to hit Miruhoggu with Water Gun and was going to follow it with Shell Blade, but Miruhoggu countered it with its tail. Shoot. Mijumaru's shell went flying, and without it, it couldn't deflect the next Thunderbolt attack and it lost. What?! Mijumaru needs more victories! Aloe recalled Miruhoggu (cheater!) and sent Yooterii out as Ash sent out Pokabu. Pokabu tried to attack, but it missed. Yooterii was just too fast and it used Shadow Ball, which hurt Pokabu. Oh come on. Pokabu then used Ember against Yooterii, but the Yooterii used Take Down and it managed to run through the fire and hit Pokabu. Then, quite predictably, Pokabu fainted. Aloe (the cheater) won the battle then. Well, at least Ash thanked Aloe for the battle. That was nice. Ash was then seen at the Shippou City Pokemon Center, feeling sorry for himself after his loss. Iris and Dento tried to cheer him up though. Ash started getting mad though. Jeez, he could be a little nicer to his only friends in the Isshu region. Nurse Joy appeared then with Pokabu and Mijumaru. Nurse Joy then seemed to recommend that Ash train at the Battle Club. You know, because it's so obviously her business. Anyway, that night, Team Rocket started putting their plan into action. Jessie and Meowth broke into the museum and they quickly switched the meteorite with a fake right after James turned off the security lasers for a few seconds. That was smooth, but I still dislike the new serious Team Rocket. I noticed cars on the road when they were leaving though; that was a nice touch. We don't usually get cars in this anime. Anyway, in the morning Ash and friends went to the Battle Club to talk to the town's Don George. Ash seemed to tell him the entire story about the Gym battle, and Don George agreed to help Ash train there in the Battle Club. It sure looked mighty intense as the door in the facility opened, but I'm sure that Ash will manage to get his training done. One thing is certain: you're not gonna reach his telephone, 'cause he's out in the club, sippin' that bub. Anyway, I knew Ash would lose, but I liked that he set his sights on training before this episode ended. That's why I'm giving this Gym battle episode, a nice 8/10. It was entertaining enough. Stay faaaabulous~

garfield15
7th January 2011, 11:53 PM
Aloe then did something strange: she recalled Yooterii. What what what?! Since when are Gym Leaders allowed to recall Pokemon? I thought that one of the rules was that they couldn't, and only the challenger could. Cheater!
Come on Kira, did you read Sabonea_Masukippa's post above?
Quick Attack.
That was Low Kick actually.

playerking
8th January 2011, 9:15 AM
Aloe then sent out Miruhoggu, which scared the living daylights out of me! I mean, look (Coincidence? I think not!) at those eyes! AHHH!

"Haha, I guess its bark was worse than its bite."

Hahaha, nice one!

"Haha, Mijumaru never gets old."

True that

"Nurse Joy then seemed to recommend that Ash train at the Battle Club. You know, because it's so obviously her business."

She was just being nice, GOSH! :P

"I noticed cars on the road when they were leaving though; that was a nice touch. We don't usually get cars in this anime."

There were police cars like 5 episodes ago, then another one 4 episodes before that

I feel something bad coming this way, my spidey sense are tingling.

"It sure looked mighty intense as the door in the facility opened,"

It's coming soon.

"but I'm sure that Ash will manage to get his training done."

Almost here.

"One thing is certain: you're not gonna reach his telephone, 'cause he's in the club, sippin' that bub."
Oh dear lord -___-'

Honestly Gym leaders have switched before, i don't think it's a rule, maybe some are just laid back and choose to let them selves switch for once, like Aloe.

I thought it was a good episode, the battle was boring, but the rest was good. I'll do my good and bad thoughts later.

AzzyFox
10th January 2011, 12:52 AM
I'm amazed that it never occurred to Ash that he has an Infernape he can use to breeze through this Gym Battle.

garfield15
10th January 2011, 5:23 AM
I'm amazed that it never occurred to Ash that he has an Infernape he can use to breeze through this Gym Battle.You're not serious are you?

Bliksem
10th January 2011, 6:40 AM
Tepig is adorable. I may continue to watch this just to see how he develops. It's a shame Oshawott has become the series' favorite.

gliscor&yanmega
10th January 2011, 3:22 PM
Yep! That did happen in the dub, I remember it well. ;) However I did use it in a jokingly, happy-go-lucky sort of way :D

Lol, well that's odd, it's just the dub though, but still, lol.

I'm amazed that it never occurred to Ash that he has an Infernape he can use to breeze through this Gym Battle.

I'm amazed that it never occurred to some people that being a Pokemon Master needs to use different Pokemon through out...

Ash wants to be a Pokemon Master, you can't be one by using just one Pokemon.

Ash always does this.

Also, Infernape isn't invincible, it would probably lose in a gym at some point.

Don't try and make Ash seem like a complete idiot since he's not.

Bliksem
11th January 2011, 1:47 AM
Don't try and make Ash seem like a complete idiot since he's not.

Just mostly :P

Team Rocket's antics are getting quite interesting. Do you think this is because they now consider themselves elite? When Giovanni considered them incompetent, they acted as such. But now that it appears they have gained his favor (somehow...), they've certainly stepped it up. I won't lie, though, as awesome as they are, I've had some definite facepalm moments where I feel they're acting *too* serious.

CyberCubed
11th January 2011, 4:03 AM
I won't lie, though, as awesome as they are, I've had some definite facepalm moments where I feel they're acting *too* serious.

The problem is Jessie/James lost their old personality. I have no problem with them being competent, but this doesn't seem like the same Jessie/James we've known for 13 years. Where is Jessie's vain attitude and James meekness? Couldn't they still have their old personalities and be competent at the same time?

Meowth is the only one that still seems similar to his old counterpart, especially when he dressed up as an Umbreon in BW4.

Cazak
11th January 2011, 7:15 AM
I don't care if Jessie and James lost their old personalities. I like them way better now.

Blaziryu
12th January 2011, 5:48 PM
This episode was wack. Ash's battle against Aloe was horrible.

gliscor&yanmega
12th January 2011, 5:54 PM

I saw nothing wrong with it. What was so horrible?

garfield15
13th January 2011, 3:16 AM
As it was said, the rule for this gym was that they could switch their Pokemon whenever they wanted. Satoshi even had a strategy involving this but, oh well, Roar screwed him over.

These episodes sure make sense when I fully understand.

It sucks that Satoshi loses from time to time. He should just tank them all all the time and not even try to train the others.

Poke Master 7
13th January 2011, 8:24 AM
I don't care if Jessie and James lost their old personalities. I like them way better now.The interesting thing there is that it's not so much as that they lost their old personalities as much as they regained their 'pre-Ash' personalities as we had seen them in their training flashback. But one thing that amazes me is that for Isshu to be so advanced, their security sucks. TR literally stole their meteorite in 10 seconds, though apparently they're ninjas now.

Legendary Dreams
13th January 2011, 10:36 AM
Ash was asked to pick 2 Pokemon for this battle. Effectively he "deposited" the rest of his pokemon, leaving only Mijumaru and Pokabu. I mean, we're not going to have him leave the gym to deposit it in the Pokemon Centre correct?
This is the facilitating point of Aloe's Roar, Mean Look Strategy.

*This suddenly made me think they need to have PCs in gyms and limit the number of pokemon we can use in a gym in the games.

Aloe's Roar, Mean Look strategy looks lame because of 2 reasons.

Firstly, anime laws. In the games, if someone applied this strategy, we would be hardly worried because most of us would be confident that both our Pokemon are always alert and awake. But in the anime, no. Pokemon sleep inside their Pokeballs (Mijumaru LOL). That never happens in games. In the anime, such actions confuse the Pokemon, but obviously not in the games. That's why those who play the games might find it lame.

Secondly, it looks lame because Yoterii could have just taken down Pokabu from the start with Take Down actually. But of course, Aloe wanted to know about Satoshi's second pokemon (Mijumaru). To us, who have Serebii and information at our fingersfor the games, we already know all opposing trainers' pokemon. But remember, they don't know in the anime (Other than Aloe already telling Satoshi what she is using).

Sometimes, we need to appreciate the anime from the "Story-reading" point of view, and not as though we already know everything, like we do in the games.

That aside, Satoshi REALLY needs to train more. Pokabu and Mijumaru don't feel like they're past level 7 in the games (From the way they battle).

Typhlosion Trainer
15th January 2011, 4:12 PM
Yeah, Ash pretty much had no chance once Aloe used Roar. As soon as I saw that and then Mean Look I was like "He is screwed."

Battra
30th January 2011, 6:10 AM
Wouldn't be Pokemon if Ash didn't lose at least one gym battle, Ash always seems to have the toughest time against opponents that have a strategy set in place. It was nice seeing Ash actually have a strategy in place to defeat Aloe and it failed, but at least he modified it by thinking on his feet like usual and actually got some decent strikes in before he was shut down. Anyway cue Rocky training montage for Ash.

Elision
3rd April 2011, 3:12 PM
I never realised that lillipups could be so cute and adorable(do those 2 words mean the same thing?).

G50
30th April 2011, 1:09 PM
This episode was good. It was cool to see Yooterii for the 1st time, it's so cute! It was a great battle. Yooterii was so pumped right before the battle, it was as if it had 2 different personalities. The Roar+Mean Look combo was very clever and unique. Mijumaru really struggled against Miruhog. Miruhog was able to kick away the Scalsword, and then be able to deliver a big blow with Thunderbolt, knocking out Mijumaru. Pokabu also struggled, this time against Yooterii. Yooterii was just too quick and was able to take Pokabu down with Take Down attack. It was interesting to see TR steal the Meteorite in this episode.

78/100

TheEpicGoomba
7th May 2011, 8:50 PM
This episode was cool. Lillipup is cute Watchog looks Scary ._. . Team Rocket is so Bad*** Nice to see Ash lose a gym battle. 7/10

SphealsFTW
14th May 2011, 8:13 AM
The episode was pretty... average xD.
Lenora seems really wise and comes off as a mother-like figure to me. After watching the episode, I like Lillipups and Watchogs a lot more. It was also very cool to see Mean Look being used O:.

lolipiece
14th May 2011, 2:36 PM
What? Did no one watch the episode?

Goodbye Apron, we'll miss you.

It's too bad Ash lost, though not surprising.

Ash: Why isn't Ember working?

Me: Gee, Ash. I don't know...maybe it has something to do with Ember being one of the weakest fire-type moves?

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
14th May 2011, 2:41 PM
lol tcpi never does paint edits :( why dont you take the japanese characters of the signs instead of taking some coloured chick apron if cause it might be racist

MidnightMelody
14th May 2011, 2:43 PM
Why did this start at 9:11 and not 9:00? Anyway poor Oshawott looked pissed off! Also anyone noticed Michelle's Jessie sounded just like Rachelle this episode?

SmartD
14th May 2011, 2:47 PM
Neat episode. Ash battles Lenora, but he loses. She is one tough Gym Leader. Ash is going to need lots of training, so he visits the Battle Club.

Meanwhile, Team Rocket steals the meteorite from the museum. What are they planning to do with the meteorite?

Raptor_Crow
14th May 2011, 2:49 PM
lol tcpi never does paint edits :( why dont you take the japanese characters of the signs instead of taking some coloured chick apron if cause it might be racist
Maybe because they didn't? No dubbing company has the skills to do an edit that professional. I mean just look at 4kids, back when they were dubbing the show, editing of a rice ball to a sandwich and compare it with this- A sandwich can't roll down the hill because it would break apart. And yet a sandwich rolled down the hill without breaking apart, twice. And to top it off it looked off-model. It's clear it was done by the original, Japanese, writers. Heck in previous episode I couldn't even tell she had an apron before because the edit is clearly professional. Watch this version of the episode (and the other eps of Lenora without her apron) be aired in Japan when they re-air those episodes.

MidnightMelody
14th May 2011, 2:53 PM
Who cares about the damn apron?!

GalladeRocks
14th May 2011, 3:32 PM
Hehehe, I loved Iris's "OSHAWOTT IS NOT AMUSED" comment when Oshawott was first called out. It's like they're specifically speaking to the Internet fandom now.

lolipiece
14th May 2011, 4:15 PM

A few things..

1. Learn Japanese. That isn't any language, it's gibberish.

2. Who said TCPi did it? Chances are it was done by the original Japanese animatiors.

3. Who cares if the signs have words on them? They're signs, meaning they have to have words on them.

Torpoleon
14th May 2011, 6:16 PM
Pretty neat episode. I like that Ash lost his first Unova gym battle. Seeing Oshawott & Tepig again is annoying, but it was still fine. Lillipup is cute, but it's nice to see that Lillipup has some serious power and so does Watchog. The Roar and Mean Look Combination was a nice touch for Lenora. Hopefully Ash's training goes well!
9/10

AuraChannelerChris
14th May 2011, 6:46 PM
It looks like even in-anime characters can't even beat Lenora the first time. Was this referencing the game, perhaps?

BurningSociety12345543210
14th May 2011, 6:57 PM
It looks like even in-anime characters can't even beat Lenora the first time. Was this referencing the game, perhaps?

I doubt it. I found it easy to defeat Lenora.

AuraChannelerChris
14th May 2011, 7:55 PM
I doubt it. I found it easy to defeat Lenora.

Well, general consensus states that Lenora and Elesa are the hardest Gym Leaders. You must have been lucky or very well prepared in your first match.

Caseydia
14th May 2011, 10:36 PM
I know that's right! I hate Lenora. My fighting Pokemon wasn't as strong as I needed it to be.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
15th May 2011, 2:44 AM
Maybe because they didn't? No dubbing company has the skills to do an edit that professional. I mean just look at 4kids, back when they were dubbing the show, editing of a rice ball to a sandwich and compare it with this- A sandwich can't roll down the hill because it would break apart. And yet a sandwich rolled down the hill without breaking apart, twice. And to top it off it looked off-model. It's clear it was done by the original, Japanese, writers. Heck in previous episode I couldn't even tell she had an apron before because the edit is clearly professional. Watch this version of the episode (and the other eps of Lenora without her apron) be aired in Japan when they re-air those episodes.

you do know when 4 kids edited those rice balls it was over 6-7 years ago technology has improved

Trainer Orange
15th May 2011, 3:09 AM
It seems like they're really emphasizing teaching new players in this generation. Both in the cartoon with episodes like this, and in what I've played of White so far. I just got into Pokemon with HeartGold and have to wonder what it would have been like if I had started with Black and White.

Also this:

Who cares about the damn apron?!

lolipiece
15th May 2011, 3:14 AM
you do know when 4 kids edited those rice balls it was over 6-7 years ago technology has improved

Do you even know how animation works? It's impossible for them to change the scenes in such a short amount of time.

the1stpkmnfan
15th May 2011, 4:15 AM
A little late to the party, but I just caught up with this episode.

After watching it, boy, I never thought Lillipup was so freakin' adorable!! x3 I never want to evolve it now. Especially how feisty it is in battle.

I also like Lenora as a character, especially how she determines what kind of trainer she's facing off. When she has her trainers find a book that they get thrown off about. She's very clever and a lot more than I give her credit for.

Although Ash lost against her, the battle between Oshawott and Watchog was an intense battle. Oshawott was cute and beastmode as usual, especially using that awesome shell of his. Too bad he lost though, and then Ash losing the battle. Lenora's was pretty tough.

I'm looking forward to the rematch next week.

And PS, Team Rocket are pretty cool Sly Coopers in this episode. They're amazing me each and every passing episode!

vipsoccermaster
15th May 2011, 11:37 AM
Just watched this episode. The battle between Lenora and Ash, was okay, not surprising that Ash lost. Lillipup was very cute at first, and then it changes mood at an instant.

Ash is going to do some training now with Don George to improve for the rematch.

As for Team Rocket, man, they're quick, James knows his stuff.

Orton155
15th May 2011, 9:46 PM
This was a great episode to show how gaining the psychological advantage is so important. Before the battle lenora described Ash as the 'head on' type which admittedly is a very accurate description she then used this with her roar-mean look combination. She knew Ash would be head on and would be stuck in with a strategy from the first move so she messed it up completely however she did not expect Ash to get back on his feet so quickly and get a nice hit on watchog when he predicted it's low kick.

Enough on psychology, I really liked certain parts of this episode. Like the appearance of the puzzle library and oshawott's sleepy water gun. This episode seems to have gone an extra mile into the small details and it tells us that pokemon do not always know what's going on when inside their pokeball, in the case of oshawott.

I think with the training with don george there will be a small section of the episode dedicated to it, probably a maximum of five minutes, with the rest of the episode dedicated to the rematch. I can't wait.

Finally, did anyone think before the battle began that it would be a double battle? I certainly did, and when Ash pulled out two pokeballs at once I almost was convinced and then just tepig come out lol. Also, throughout sinnoh it was mentioned at the start of every gym battle that 'only challengers may substitute pokemon' so yes it was a rule in most cases. However, it did stat that substitutions was free this time so I wasn't startled by the substitution one bit.

Anyway, great episode. Over and out.

Commander L. Halsti
15th May 2011, 10:12 PM
Well, general consensus states that Lenora and Elesa are the hardest Gym Leaders. You must have been lucky or very well prepared in your first match.
The hardest Gym is actually the first one, if you refuse to use the monkeys. Lenora can be brought down with defensive strategies. But of course, Ash hasn't heard of a static, defensive battle, ever. And has trouble.

jscholfield
15th May 2011, 10:13 PM
team rocket were awsome in this episode

AuraChannelerChris
15th May 2011, 10:41 PM
The hardest Gym is actually the first one, if you refuse to use the monkeys. Lenora can be brought down with defensive strategies. But of course, Ash hasn't heard of a static, defensive battle, ever. And has trouble.

Oh yes, the first gym is also hard for that. Three hard gyms in total.

American--Pi
16th May 2011, 2:12 AM
I think this episode was rather mediocre - not great, but certainly not horrible. I'm kind of frustrated that Ash is so stupid, but oh well. That's how he is.

If I were a trainer, I'd epic fail against Lenora's book challenge. I actually judge books by their covers... despicable me. :(

Lillipup is SO ADORABLE!!!!!!!!! Yet he is SO POWERFUL!!!!!!! Watchog using Thunderbolt was a huge surprise to me; I didn't know that Watchog could learn Thunderbolt. Ash's Oshawott using its Scal Chop to deflect Thunderbolt was nice too, but too bad Lenora knew how to deal with it.

Lenora's battle strategy was actually pretty different from her game battle strategy. I expected Ash to knock out her Lillipup; then Lenora's Watchog would use Retaliate to pwn Ash's team. But the Roar/Mean Look combination is nice too. You need some real strategy to combat it.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to next week's rematch. I hope Ash will use some faster Pokemon... but only time will tell.

Swagga09
16th May 2011, 7:20 AM
team rocket just cant win, can they?

I remember everyone were saying they were getting annoying, recycled, same thing done to death, etc.

Now they changed for the better and most ppl hate it.

I love the new TR

Ne0n-H!tch'd
16th May 2011, 7:38 AM
Now I don't feel so bad about losing to Oprah... err I mean Lenora as well!

gliscor&yanmega
17th May 2011, 6:16 PM
Lilipup sounded pretty much how I thought it would. Thought it sounded good. Watchog isn't really remember-able voice wise to me.

I enjoyed the episode just like I did with the Japanese version. Team Rocket being awesome. Lenora being interesting and funny. Don George is as creepy as always...which is awesome. Cilan is Cilan(Which is a good thing).

Iris didn't stand out much in this episode for me, nor Hawes. Ash, despite it being an Ash type episode, nothing really stood out for me from him.

Shadow XD001
17th May 2011, 9:37 PM
Good episode. I liked Lenora's strategy; Roar/Mean Look seem pretty good together. Also, switching to Watchog against Oshawott was a great idea because it knew Thunder Bolt, and Lenora knew how to deal with Oshawott's Scal Chop. Nice to see that Ash at least loses to one gym leader, because it's good for Ash to have at least one lose for each region. Can't wait for the rematch, though!

Rating: 8/10

Ne0n-H!tch'd
17th May 2011, 9:41 PM
Good episode. I liked Lenora's strategy; Roar/Mean Look seem pretty good together. Also, switching to Watchog against Oshawott was a great idea because it knew Thunder Bolt, and Lenora knew how to deal with Oshawott's Scal Chop. Nice to see that Ash at least loses to one gym leader, because it's good for Ash to have at least one lose for each region. Can't wait for the rematch, though!

Rating: 8/10

YEAH I AGREE!

I think this season is finally bring strategies we would use in competitive battling.

AuraChannelerChris
18th May 2011, 12:18 AM
YEAH I AGREE!

I think this season is finally bring strategies we would use in competitive battling.

Too bad 90% of the anime attacks have way more uses in the battlefield than the real games. A Thunderbolt can actually hurt and KO a Rhyhorn with no trouble.

Torpoleon
18th May 2011, 9:40 PM
Black people were slaves and in the 50's and 60's for example, the woman wore aprons (usually because they were maids). I don't know about Japan, but that happened in the US. Surely that could explain why Lenora doesn't have an apron on in the dub.

But, seriously. Stop taking the show for granted! Which would you prefer: if the show got cancelled or them taking off a character's apron in the dub because of something that happened in the past? You just don't know when to stop. One more silly complaint and I'm going to freak out.

RickHoenn
19th May 2011, 12:02 AM
Black people were slaves and in the 50's and 60's for example, the woman wore aprons (usually because they were maids). I don't know about Japan, but that happened in the US. Surely that could explain why Lenora doesn't have an apron on in the dub.

But, seriously. Stop taking the show for granted! Which would you prefer: if the show got cancelled or them taking off a character's apron in the dub because of something that happened in the past? You just don't know when to stop. One more silly complaint and I'm going to freak out.

Black people were slaves in the 50's??? o_O

They were freed in 1865 after the US civil war.

Torpoleon
19th May 2011, 12:16 AM
Black people were slaves in the 50's??? o_O

They were freed in 1865 after the US civil war.
What? Have you not heard of Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, among other people? Yes, there was the Civil War, but blacks were still discriminated against until they got their freedom in the 1960s or maybe early 1970s. You learn this stuff in school. You could also try googling at as well.

Regardless, I thought the battle was nice. Having a Lillipup rather than Herdier right off the bat was pretty nice so her team is not exactly the same as in the games.

thekorean
19th May 2011, 12:28 AM
How can anyone find Lenora hard? Just catch Sawk or Throh and train it.

raquiri
19th May 2011, 12:28 AM
Just watched the episode, late, I know. It was really frustrating how stupid ash was, how easily he got thrown off, and how much trouble he had getting back on his feet. Lillipup was adorable, and team rocket is, as usual, a huge improvement from before.

4/10

thekorean
19th May 2011, 12:30 AM
Ash has to be the worst trainer ever. I can excuse all his other Pokemons because they are new and relatively inexperienced. But Pikachu has to be kicking *** right about now.

Venomfang
19th May 2011, 12:58 AM
Great, we're back to the titles with puns....

adaptabilityeevee
19th May 2011, 1:07 AM
i loved this episode! and i LOVE the new team rocket!!! theyre actually cool now!

RickHoenn
20th May 2011, 6:05 AM
What? Have you not heard of Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, among other people? Yes, there was the Civil War, but blacks were still discriminated against until they got their freedom in the 1960s or maybe early 1970s. You learn this stuff in school. You could also try googling at as well.

Regardless, I thought the battle was nice. Having a Lillipup rather than Herdier right off the bat was pretty nice so her team is not exactly the same as in the games.

-_- ??

That's different dude, they being discriminated doesn't mean they were slaves, they got civil rights between the 50's and 60's that's what happened.

Slavery was abolished in 1865 after the confederate states of America were defeated but hey this is a little offtopic.

Ne0n-H!tch'd
20th May 2011, 9:28 PM
All I gotta say is... Lenora is the OpraH of Pokemon!

Lance The Champ
21st May 2011, 8:06 PM
Why was Ash surprised and unaware of mean look when he seen it several times in the past seasons?

The Eleventh
22nd May 2011, 1:15 PM
Great, we're back to the titles with puns....
Excuse my idiocy, but what's the pun in this title?

I still haven't gotten around to watching this, but from the looks of things, Ash is back to being really stupid. Great.

25th May 2011, 9:16 PM
I liked the episode. Especially the part where Ash lost! :D

That was awesome.

Typhlosionvsworld
25th May 2011, 9:18 PM
Why was Ash surprised and unaware of mean look when he seen it several times in the past seasons?

Who knows? He gets stupid again every time he starts again in a region. And Pikachu weakens. ;025;

25th May 2011, 9:20 PM
I think he was surprised and unaware of Roar, not Mean Look.

Typhlosionvsworld
25th May 2011, 9:21 PM
Still, a "pokemon master" should have heard of Roar.

25th May 2011, 9:30 PM
Good point, but he's not a master yet.

Valoo.
25th May 2011, 9:37 PM
Good point, but he's not a master yet.
And probably never will be.

25th May 2011, 9:42 PM
And probably never will be.

Who are you.

Valoo.
25th May 2011, 9:59 PM
Who are you.
A dinosaur .

And did Lenora's Lillipup evolve or what?

25th May 2011, 10:02 PM
Not in this episode.

Rebeccag
27th May 2011, 8:35 PM
Surprised Ash lost but you need a surprise. Love Lenoras character though and how she calls Clian Connsesour boy hehe. I liked her litle challange as well at the start that was quite intresting

WaterDragon trainer
30th May 2011, 2:50 AM
I kinda liked this episode. I was a bit surprised at Ash losing, but I guess you can't win them all. Lenora was an interesting character.

Littlemyuu
14th June 2011, 3:24 PM
Lenora is a good Normal type trainer, her Pokemon are awesome!

fenris91
16th June 2011, 12:53 AM
Ash losing this battle doesn't befit the fact that everyone knows more over the years now. (Team Rocket, anyone?)

All I know is I beat Lenora with one Throh. If you can survive the initial Retaliate you pretty much got an even match. (Retaliate really is no joke though!)

Lance The Champ
18th June 2011, 9:56 AM
Lenora's strategy was excellent but Ash with all his experience should not have been overwhelmed by it...

Darkmagiciangirl
21st June 2011, 10:49 AM
Lenora's roar and mean look combination was a excellent strategy, and using normal types in such a superb way...you can't really blame Ash for being caught off-gaurd.
Team rocket stealing that meteorite and replacing it with a dummy was actually succesful in a sweet way...but where are the real dummies? ^^

24th September 2011, 12:13 AM
I didn't think Ash would win this battle. Not because of Mean Look and Roar, but mostly because Oshawott wasn't strong enough to beat a fully evolved pokemon that knew Thunderbolt just yet, and Tepig only knew two attacks. Good thing Ash is training them now. Although he's started to do it WAY too much now.
7/10

ForgottenPearl
30th June 2012, 1:17 AM
I’m usually not very big on the gym battle episodes, but I enjoyed this one a lot.

Let’s see... I thought it was neat how Lenora psychoanalyzes people based on how they interact with books (“She’s got your number!” Iris told Ash). I also like how the anime retained part of the whole book puzzle thing from the games. I also like how she referred to Cilan as “Connoisseur Boy.” I might have to start using that nickname for him. :)

Lillipup was so cute: I’d act just like Iris around it. But I liked how it got all tough as soon as the battle started. And Oshawott was funny upon being forced out of his ball. Although Iris and Connoisseur Boy did a little too much narrating, I liked how the anime really got into Lenora’s clever strategies. It was an interesting battle overall. And I have a funny feeling that somebody’s gonna evolve during the rematch.

And I’m kinda glad Ash lost... Lenora’s the only BW Gym Leader that kicked my fanny up and down the street the first time I battled her, so I’m glad I’m not the only one. :) Like Ash, I also had to regroup and rethink my strategy. It was touching how Ash blamed himself for the loss... But it was kinda weird that he got so emotional over that, but didn’t care when Trip gave him a good whippin’.

Oh, and I’ve always considered myself a Pokeshipper, but I must admit a part of me likes Negaishipping too. Iris holding Ash during that one scene, Iris telling Ash to go for it when the battle started, Iris concerned about Ash afterwards... A part of me really liked all that. Hmm.

Anyway, great episode... most of the BW episodes have been great. Still playing catch up, but it's fun.

wobbanut
3rd July 2012, 2:55 AM
I've never been that fond of using normal pokemon that aren't flying, but Lenora makes a great case for them in her gym episodes, pointing out that they have no natural weaknesses. I really liked her. Apart from Cilan, she's been my favorite Unova gym leader. Too bad Ash got his butt whipped so thoroughly, though.

It's also bittersweet to think that this would be the end of Team Rocket's astounding 672-episode (leaving out Japan's first unaired episode) attendance streak. I don't mind them not being in every episode, though it was weird at first, but I don't like when they have long absences, like at the start of season 15.

7/10

17th November 2012, 12:39 AM
Lenora points out that Normal types have no natural weaknesses.

-Fighting
-Steel
-Rock

Good job Lenora.

Aside from that, it was obvious and made sense that Ash would lose here. However I thought it was very cheap that Lenora was allowed to switch pokemon when no other gym leader has that luxury.

PokemontrainerY
14th August 2013, 6:25 AM
This was a pretty neat episode. Ash and Lenora's battle was good. Lenora's Roar and Mean look combination was a clever strategy, which worked very well against Ash. Ash's Pokemon didn't stand a chance against Lenora's Pokemon in this episode.
It's sad that Ash lost the match, but at least he'll do some serious training with his Pokemon to make them stronger.

Exeggudork
10th February 2014, 8:47 PM
lolashsucks

But really Lenora's strategyy was clever, but she should have her stupid *** watchog spam confuse ray or something. Seeing Ash get pissed would have been funny.