PDA

View Full Version : Dawn's New Journey! (DPSP1)

Serebii
3rd February 2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/S26.jpgDawn's New Journey!

After her journey with Ash, Dawn has decided to travel to a new region in order to continue her quest to be the best Pokémon Co-Ordinator, like her mother. However, when she has to decide the Pokémon to take with her, she starts to struggle. Going to Professor Rowan's for advice, she meets Cinco, a new trainer who is conflicted with what Pokémon to choose to start her journey...

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/specials/026.shtml)

Discuss

Grassmen
3rd February 2011, 11:12 AM
Piplup and Chimchar escaping from Rowan's lab. AGAIN. Seriously?

Ash-kid
3rd February 2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah, why every journey of a trainer has to start with this XD

It was funny seeing Cyndaquil and Piplup's combinated move being blasted, and too bad the battle didn't end after this.

^ASH^
3rd February 2011, 11:15 AM
Dawn said she'll go to Hoenn
And LOL at the repeat of Pip/Chimchar arguing and running away

Grassmen
3rd February 2011, 11:18 AM
Dawn, why do you need to use your Pokedex to check on Ariados? You only used to get attacked by them every ten episodes or so >.<

Lucario At Service
3rd February 2011, 11:18 AM
Short Summary

First Half:

- Dawn is training with Cyndaquil
- Dawn double battle with Johanna (Cyndaquil & Piplup Vs Umbreon & Glameow)
- I wasn't able to catch who won, but i think Johanna won
- Shifts to the Rowan's lab
- Dawn talks with him
- Shifts to the girl who is checking out the starters
- Piplup & Chimchar sarts fighting, and ony of Piplup's attack breacks the window. Both the starters escapes from there (Turtwig is seen busy eating his food).
- That was similar to Dawn's case
- Dawn decides to help the girl find the two starters.

Break

Grassmen
3rd February 2011, 11:20 AM
Shiny Ariados! :D ...Can Dawn catch this please :P
Oh, and now Cyndaquil is evolving.

Ash-kid
3rd February 2011, 11:24 AM
Quilava's so strong. IMO even strong like Ash's Quilava, what a power. Goodbye, Dawn!

playerking
3rd February 2011, 11:28 AM
So Dawn's cyndaquil evolves and learns Eruption, seriously, copying Ash's evolution much?
A shiny Ariados, interesting, so another Piplup in the episode, i wonder if it Interacts with Dawn's probably didn't.

^ASH^
3rd February 2011, 11:29 AM
Dawn decided to go to Hoenn but wasn't sure which Pokémon to take with her... at first she thought taking just Piplup but wasn't sure, so she went to Rowan to get advice
After helping the girl, she told Rowan she'll take "Piplup... and Quilava... and [insert the other Poké names]"
I liked how she said this XD at first it seemed like she'll take just Pip, but then she added Quilava and made it seem like just these two, but then said all the others too XD she said something like she still has a lot to learn about them all

playerking
3rd February 2011, 11:31 AM
So no Ambipom, disappointing.

darklord18
3rd February 2011, 11:34 AM
did they say what cinco pick as a starter or did she pick off screen?

deathseer
3rd February 2011, 11:37 AM
So Dawn is off to Hoenn? Interesting.

^ASH^
3rd February 2011, 11:41 AM
did they say what cinco pick as a starter or did she pick off screen?

I'm not sure, but I think she decided to choose later, after she'll learn more about Pokémon...

Walcott
3rd February 2011, 11:44 AM
I like her Cyndaquil, no matter how much of a copy it seems ^^ I'm just happy it didn't take forever to evolve. It kind of reminds me of May and her Squirtle since it was young and also evolved in an acceptable amount of time~ :3

Dawn_AmyFan20
3rd February 2011, 12:14 PM
YAY!! ^^ SO DP isn't ending afterall.

TheNewGuy
3rd February 2011, 12:16 PM
Dawn going to Hoenn...I think this means we'll see her in the RSE remake saga. Maybe I'm taking the speculation a bit too far there though.

Sounds like a decent ep. Be cool to see Dawn, Piplup, Cyndaquil again.

Dawn_AmyFan20
3rd February 2011, 12:20 PM
Dawns Episode seemed kinda of a repeat of the very first DP episode.And She were there without Ash too ^^ Oh Well,I think I can get used to Dawn by herself.Shes even cooler...umm,wait,She was always cool LOL.

It were 12PM in my country when this were airing.I guess it's OK ^^

Dawn_AmyFan20
3rd February 2011, 12:21 PM
Oh,and I kinda liked Brocks Family.They seem so fun,cheerfull to be with.Wish my Family were fun as them ^^;

Pepsi_Plunge
3rd February 2011, 12:46 PM
Hoenn seems right since it has contests, I was expecting her to go to Kanto but I guess Hoenn is alright.

nkg2k10
3rd February 2011, 12:58 PM
hoenns good and i hope it doesnt do what it did with may and show the first episode and almost just completly forget about her and her adventures though hoenn or inmays case johto

Pepsi_Plunge
3rd February 2011, 1:05 PM
hoenns good and i hope it doesnt do what it did with may and show the first episode and almost just completly forget about her and her adventures though hoenn or inmays case johto

They will probably, they might give us an update like they gave us with May, I woulnd't mind some chronicles like episodes once in a while though but since they are doing with Takeshi and Hikari they might aswell do it for everyone, if they go that route.

I doubt they will, they have been pretty focused in BW and developing a good story, hopefully they will keep as a priority if I have to choose I prefer more BW instead of specials.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
3rd February 2011, 1:24 PM
Omg!!! Now teshub is going to make 1 billion threads about dawn's return!!! Curse u

KingMinun
3rd February 2011, 1:45 PM
Well Dawn is off to Hoenn? Oh well, was hoping she'd go to Kanto or even the Orange Islands to show that place is still going.
But this episode sounds interestiong still, I want to watch it, but cannot find it right now

Mr.Munchlax
3rd February 2011, 1:56 PM
If they continue these special episodes, or if Dawn makes a comeback like May & Misty did, I hope Dawn ends up catching a Treecko

KingMinun
3rd February 2011, 2:04 PM
If they continue these special episodes, or if Dawn makes a comeback like May & Misty did, I hope Dawn ends up catching a Treecko

I'm going to say she will, since it would promote the "remakes", she doesn't have a grass type too. I just don't think Treecko is a pokemon I would associate with her though.

Mr.Munchlax
3rd February 2011, 2:09 PM
I'm going to say she will, since it would promote the "remakes", she doesn't have a grass type too. I just don't think Treecko is a pokemon I would associate with her though.

Me neither, but since she already has Piplup & Quilava, Treecko's the only one left. Though I wonder if they do continue these episodes, that Dawn will lose her pokemon the way Ash did in Johto?

KingMinun
3rd February 2011, 2:20 PM
Me neither, but since she already has Piplup & Quilava, Treecko's the only one left. Though I wonder if they do continue these episodes, that Dawn will lose her pokemon the way Ash did in Johto?

Hoping if they do, I could see that happening, First being Mamoswine, then Buneary, Pachurisu, and Togekiss, and her keeping Piplup and Quilava in her team!

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
3rd February 2011, 2:25 PM
Hoping if they do, I could see that happening, First being Mamoswine, then Buneary, Pachurisu, and Togekiss, and her keeping Piplup and Quilava in her team!

woahh calm down!! not togekiss!!

Pepsi_Plunge
3rd February 2011, 2:27 PM
Omg!!! Now teshub is going to make 1 billion threads about dawn's return!!! Curse u

Why, Satoshi won't go to Hoenn again dont worry.

Dawn_AmyFan20
3rd February 2011, 2:43 PM
Maybe Satoshi won't have time for Hoenn,but I'm sure Princess Dawns heart will always be there for Ash,and her feelings will take her to him and suprise him with a pretty colorful musical ^^ Hey,She has done something similar once to him.

Maxim
3rd February 2011, 2:57 PM
What opening did these two episodes have?

Serebii
3rd February 2011, 2:57 PM
What opening did these two episodes have?
The most recent DP opening

abhiramreddy
3rd February 2011, 3:12 PM
anyone know where I can watch these episodes? I can't find them anywhere

RocketTwurpSLR
3rd February 2011, 3:46 PM
does anyone have a link? ive been itching to watch this through class

Endoplasmic Reticulum
3rd February 2011, 3:58 PM
What happened to whole Paris and Buneary thing?

CyberCubed
3rd February 2011, 4:29 PM
So Dawn is going to Hoenn for a journey we won't be seeing, sounds a lot like May.

I think its also funny that people think there's going to be a filler arc in Hoenn. Just like Ash returned to Johto, right?

An00bis
3rd February 2011, 4:40 PM
Just a friendly reminder that you are not allowed to ask where to watch the episode.

Dawn said she'll go to Hoenn

Here we go again ...

That applies to a lot of things in this episode, actually. It's kind of nostalgic.

CyberCubed
3rd February 2011, 4:45 PM
So much for Dawn ever seeing Ambipom again. LOL.

KingMinun
3rd February 2011, 5:00 PM
So Dawn is going to Hoenn for a journey we won't be seeing, sounds a lot like May.

I think its also funny that people think there's going to be a filler arc in Hoenn. Just like Ash returned to Johto, right?

Yeah except this time, the current region is moving at a much quicker pace that there must be a Filler region, kinda like the Orange Islands and Kanto Battle Frontier.

The Eleventh
3rd February 2011, 5:35 PM
It's nice to see that Dawn's still going to travel. And to Hoenn, at that! We already knew her Cyndaquil would evolve, but it was cool nonetheless. The whole episode was very "Following a Maiden's Voyage"-like, even the Ariados were there (a shiny one! ZOMG!).

Red
3rd February 2011, 5:40 PM
Did anyone notice it said: "To be continued", this may mean we'll get more specials.. I'm excited! :D

Chimchar15
3rd February 2011, 5:44 PM
Meh it was ok. I'm glad that I didn't wake up for it though. Anyways at least we know what Dawn will be doing now.

Thriller
3rd February 2011, 6:14 PM
So much for Dawn ever seeing Ambipom again. LOL.

Would you just stop, now, please? You're being a jerk just for the sake of it.

Did anyone notice it said: "To be continued", this may mean we'll get more specials.. I'm excited!

Not if CyberCubed has anything to say about it.

uber gon
3rd February 2011, 6:24 PM
Did Quilava use Flamethrower?

Dawn_AmyFan20
3rd February 2011, 6:25 PM
Did anyone notice it said: "To be continued", this may mean we'll get more specials.. I'm excited! :D

YESSS!!! ^^ *hops on my bed in fully joys
Specials for Princess Dawn Forever<^-^>
and Brock too.

gliscor&yanmega
3rd February 2011, 6:31 PM
I only saw the pictures, but what I saw seemed interesting. Would have rather just got a Best Wishes episode though.

There was a Shiny(Or at less different color) Ariados, which was nice.

It was interesting how the writers decided to make things similar to how Dawn first started out, I'm guessing they want to show how far she's come.

And she's going to Hoenn next, interesting although not surprising.

Cotaman
3rd February 2011, 6:33 PM
I really smell some R/S/E remakes.

Lorde
3rd February 2011, 6:45 PM

I doubt that means anything. Tons of specials have had that "To be continued" thing at the end, and most of them still haven't gotten sequels.

Anyway, this special was average. While it was cool to see Dawn again, I didn't much like the episode as much as I thought I would. I liked that Dawn battled her mother once more and that her Cyndaquil evolved, which was something I was excited about. I liked seeing Professor Rowan again since he's my favorite regional Professor, but I was disappointed that Dawn decided to head to the Hoenn region next. You know people are gonna use that as "evidence" for a Hoenn filler saga or R/S/E remake or something. On a small note: I trucking HATE those Ariados! I don't care if one of them was Shiny; call pest control and get rid of them already. Anyway yeah, I'll give this a 6/10 because it didn't include Cilan because it was just sort of average.

luner45
3rd February 2011, 7:11 PM
I doubt that means anything. Tons of specials have had that "To be continued" thing at the end, and most of them still haven't gotten sequels.

Anyway, this special was average. While it was cool to see Dawn again, I didn't much like the episode as much as I thought I would. I liked that Dawn battled her mother once more and that her Cyndaquil evolved, which was something I was excited about. I liked seeing Professor Rowan again since he's my favorite regional Professor, but I was disappointed that Dawn decided to head to the Hoenn region next. You know people are gonna use that as "evidence" for a Hoenn filler saga or R/S/E remake or something. On a small note: I trucking HATE those Ariados! I don't care if one of them was Shiny; call pest control and get rid of them already. Anyway yeah, I'll give this a 6/10 because it didn't include Cilan because it was just sort of average.

Actually you are kinda right but if it means to be continued it means we will see them again once more. Anyways i can't wait for dawn to see max and his family and maybe may as well. Who knows a special with dawn and may in it?? its possible...now we will get to see if may won the jhoto grand festival *Fingers crossed*

Also im really starting to think that there will be R/S remakes now. i mean may went to jhoto=Gold/silver remakes. Dawn going to hoenn=R/S remakes. Im starting to wonder if cybercubed is regreting the stuff he said already.

IndigoVanity
3rd February 2011, 7:26 PM
i think this episode was cool and im glad it didn't take Dawn's Cyndaquil nearly as long to evolve as it did ash's. i'm also excited she decided to go to Howen instead of staying in Sinnoh.

and i think people are now expecting a R|S|E remake because:

-At the end of the Howen region they all traveled to Kanto and there were R|B|Y remakes (FR|LG)
-May then traveled to Jhoto while Ash went to Sinnoh and there were G|S|C remakes (HG|SS).

so they think now that Dawn is going to Howen while Ash is in Unova there will be a R|S|E remake which is possible but we are gonna have to wait a few yrs. for that if it happens. but i can totally see it happening, i hope they do it would be cool. so only time will tell.

SKIN.
3rd February 2011, 7:48 PM
where can i watch these episodes, iv looked but cant find them. :(

KingMinun
3rd February 2011, 8:22 PM
Still haven't watched these :(

I prefer the way they made Dawn go off on her own, May's way seemed like she didn't really care about leaving. Whilst Dawn, she was upset in DP191 and had something else to do, before continuing on a journey. May just decided to head elsewhere. I hope next time we see Dawn, she'll have Piplup, Lopunny, Pachurisu, Mamoswine, Typhlosion and Togekiss, along with some reserve pokemon too that she caught in Hoenn.

Dawn_AmyFan20
3rd February 2011, 8:43 PM
Still haven't watched these :(

I prefer the way they made Dawn go off on her own, May's way seemed like she didn't really care about leaving. Whilst Dawn, she was upset in DP191 and had something else to do, before continuing on a journey. May just decided to head elsewhere. I hope next time we see Dawn, she'll have Piplup, Lopunny, Pachurisu, Mamoswine, Typhlosion and Togekiss, along with some reserve pokemon too that she caught in Hoenn.

Yesss!!! <^-^> That'll let her coolness shine even more.Go Dawn!!!
Sorry,I'm just a freak for Dawn :D

Yankees4life
3rd February 2011, 9:36 PM
So, I'm guessing Dawn will get a BW cameo at the end of the Unova saga-Start of the filler arc now that we found out in this special(-ed) eppy.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
3rd February 2011, 9:37 PM
What happened to whole Paris and Buneary thing?

Sorry, my question wasn't answered so I will say it again

KingMinun
3rd February 2011, 9:40 PM
Sorry, my question wasn't answered so I will say it again

I think she did all that off screen.

Shneak
3rd February 2011, 9:55 PM
Judging from the episode photos, it looks like a rehash of the first DP episode, and the Twinleaf Festival.

At least she's going to Hoenn, predictably.

BestWish16
3rd February 2011, 10:35 PM
This episode just seemed incredibly lazy... They just reused the plot from the first episode... Nice to have some closure on what shes doing though, headed to Hoenn. :)

luner45
3rd February 2011, 10:44 PM
Lets see in 2010 of september pokemon black and white came out. Its possible that the ruby/sapphire remakes could hit stores in september of 2011 or pokemon grey(sequel to pokemon b/w name unconfirmed) could come out in 2011 and in 2012 ruby and sapphire. Im hoping for the ruby and sapphire remakes first but then again 5th gen just started mean theres ALOT waiting to come out. Mystery dungeon,wii games(hopefully spin offs from xd),pokemon ranger 4 and a whole lot more!! Who's knows?? a online pokemon game MADE by the creators (however that's unlikely)

Im starting to wonder if dawn is gonna get new pokemon from hoenn since she took all of her sinnoh pokemon with her which will be a big surprise for the hoenn trainers. Maybe drew solidad harley could appear again.

Gaiash
4th February 2011, 1:41 AM
If so I hope we get specials about May and Max next. I'd like to see the Johto Grand Festival and what Max is doing now that he isn't travelling. It'd be nice to see a special for Misty and Tracey again too but May and Max should have priority.

YESSS!!! ^^ *hops on my bed in fully joys
Specials for Princess Dawn Forever<^-^>
and Brock too.
Why do you keep calling her Princess Dawn? She's not connected to any Sinnoh Monarchy through blood or marrage.

ViperQueen
4th February 2011, 1:43 AM
Do you guys know how to find the videos? I tried typing in the japanese title and still can't find the episode Dx

Teshub
4th February 2011, 2:51 AM
Do you guys know how to find the videos? I tried typing in the japanese title and still can't find the episode Dx

There something in that episode TPTB don't want you to see.

ViperQueen
4th February 2011, 3:34 AM
There something in that episode TPTB don't want you to see.
Really, like what?

ESPNfanatic35
4th February 2011, 3:46 AM
Hey is it just me or does every Ariados in the world want Dawn dead? Anyway, I'm glad her Cyndaquil evolved like Ash's.

Platinum fan.
4th February 2011, 4:06 AM
This episode started off pretty interesting. They brought back the Piplup/Cyndaquil rivalry which brought out Cyndaquil's personality which is good. The episode was great up until Dawn met that girl and they rehashed the 'Following a Maiden's voyage' but the shiny tough Ariados was actually a nice touch for some reason. That Ariados looked like it was out for blood, and I agree that every Ariados seems out to kill Dawn XD

The highlight of course was Cyndaquil evolving. I don't care if people consider it unnecessary because of Ash's, I will always enjoy a main character's Pokemon evolving. And now Dawn's team look's a little more 'balanced'. Dawn was cheated out of a Empoleon (And even a Prinplup) but if for some weird reason the writer's ever show her again (not likely) I'd loved to see it go all the way and reach Typhlosion. As for Dawn going to Hoenn, I would have preferred Kanto for her to see Ambipom, Kanto also have contest. But Hoenn is where contest were born so it figure's she'd go there. To bad none of it will ever be seen. Overall a somewhat decent end for Dawn. Like I said it was all for Quilava for me.

Nostalgic Hybrid
4th February 2011, 4:24 AM
I'm not too much of a Dawn fan, but I think this special was lackluster. Think more could have been done with it. Just felt so recycled. (I know, it's Pokemon. What isn't?)
Good to hear that she will still be traveling - to my favorite region, no less.

RSE plox.

Gaiash
4th February 2011, 4:25 AM
The highlight of course was Cyndaquil evolving. I don't care if people consider it unnecessary because of Ash's, I will always enjoy a main character's Pokemon evolving. And now Dawn's team look's a little more 'balanced'.
The thing is if Buneary evolved instead it would have had the exact same effect but without taking away from Ash's Cyndaquil's evolution.

Grei
4th February 2011, 5:06 AM
Cool, so she's going to Hoenn? I bet she's going to get a few specials there, which set up for Ash seeing her in Hoenn if and when he goes there for a filler arc.

Or, at the very least, some sort of Hoenn mini-arc with Dawn involved.

Platinum fan.
4th February 2011, 5:09 AM
The thing is if Buneary evolved instead it would have had the exact same effect but without taking away from Ash's Cyndaquil's evolution.

The writer's had nothing to lose by evolving Dawn's Cyndaquil. They can't just hold back Pokemon just because Ash takes 5 years to evolve his Pokemon. Or it could be that I generally don't care about what the writer's do with Ash or any of his forgotten Oaked Pokemon anymore that I am able to overlook the repeat evolution's of a Cyndaquil. Like I said I will never complain about a main character Pokemon evolving especially if I like the species (big fan of the Cyndaquil line)

As for Buneary evolving? It's almost in the same boat as Piplup now. To much personality for the writer's to play off to evolve it, while Cyndaquil was begging for something to happen to it. Mainly whiny Ash fan's and Dawn hater's don't like this move. Though I'm not accusing you of being either, so please don't think that.

ESPNfanatic35
4th February 2011, 5:26 AM

If Buneary evolved, Pikachu would take one look at her and wish he wouldn't have ignored her flirting lol

Crimsonlink
4th February 2011, 6:35 AM
Maybe some Pokemon Chronicles in the future like before only focusing on Dawn and Brock so less people would complain about them being gone?

Off Topic: Whatever did happen to Richie? I bet he already is a champion lolz. Leaving behind your rival 3/4 generations back can do that.

Usagi777
4th February 2011, 6:36 AM
how can one go about watching this episode? what do i plug in to youtube or google or wutever to see it? ive spent all day lookin for it and i just wanna watch it. assistance would b GREATLY appreciated

CyberCubed
4th February 2011, 6:47 AM
To be honest this special wasn't very good. It was a rehash of bits and pieces of various DP eps put together.

I still don't like the fact that the plot was based on a lame filler girl and Dawn's Cynda evolving, which really served no purpose.

There were many interesting things they could have done with a Dawn special, but they dropped the ball here. I think its laughable that people think we're going to get specials of Dawn in Hoenn when there's really no purpose. Her story is done.

ShadowDragon16
4th February 2011, 7:11 AM
I didn't like it. There was no creativity with this at all.

*Battle against Umbreon and Glameow (Like we haven't seen that one before)
*Piplup and Chimchar escape (Repeat of first episode, boring)
*Ariados attack (.......... if i said i didnt see that one comeing I would be lying)
*Cyndaquil evolving and learning eruption (a mirror of Ash's, it lost the suprise)
*Dawn going to Hoenn (May went to Johto, it was obvious)

Boring episode............ plain and simple

CyberCubed
4th February 2011, 7:18 AM
They could have done many interesting things, like have Ambipom appear or even one of Dawn's rivals show up again.

Instead its just same old Ariados attacks, a rehash of Ash's Cynda evolving, and a filler girl with a Chimchar.

Poke Master 7
4th February 2011, 7:42 AM
When I had first heard that Dawn's Cyndaquil was evolving, it kinda annoyed me that we had to wait 10 years for Ash's Cyndaquil, the one who did a Hell of a lot more and got much more character development than Dawn's did in the region it didn't evolve than Dawn's did in Sinnoh while Dawn's is around for not even 2 years and has evolved, but I got over that. But why did it have to learn Eruption upon evolving? Of all the fire moves it could learn, why the exact same move Ash's learned upon evolving, stealing even more of it's thunder. The writers proved they could give a girl the same pokemon as Ash while giving it a diverse move set from Ash's with May's Bulbasaur and Squirtle so why couldn't they do it with Dawn's Quilava? Not a single move it knows Ash's Quilava doesn't.

CyberCubed
4th February 2011, 7:49 AM
Dawn's Cynda never really had much of a distinct personality anyway. It was always a rehash of Ash's, the only difference is it had no trouble getting its flame lit.

Gaiash
4th February 2011, 9:39 AM
Also why did she check its data on her Pokedex? It can't of been much more than a week since she saw Ash's Quilava. Sure Ash was the one looking at it's data in the Pokedex but what exactly is hers going to say that his didn't considering the only difference between the two is that hers in pink?

Kazuki Mirai
4th February 2011, 10:53 AM
That... was seriously a waste.

Teshub
4th February 2011, 3:58 PM
I wonder how many people actually watched the episode instead of regurgitating what others said and merely looking at screencaps?

Gaiash
4th February 2011, 4:04 PM
I wonder how many people actually watched the episode instead of regurgitating what others said and merely looking at screencaps?
How many of the people defending the episode are the more vocal members of Dawn's fanbase? We've got you and the guy who thinks Dawn is a princess, not the best defence.

RocketTwurpSLR
4th February 2011, 4:14 PM
i havnt read none of this thread -main reason--- i cant find it anywhere!!!!!!!!!!

Satoshi's girl
4th February 2011, 4:14 PM
Was a Ok episode~ was happy to see Hikari finally going on a Journey :D i hope she does well!

Teshub
4th February 2011, 4:16 PM
How many of the people defending the episode are the more vocal members of Dawn's fanbase? We've got you and the guy who thinks Dawn is a princess, not the best defence.

That's not any different from someone defending why they like pokemon and they are old enough to go potty on their own.

Anyway, I bet the people who said the episode was okay also didn't see it. For some reason the previous channels to watch recently aired episodes have all been wiped clean of the special. I'm sensing a conspiracy of sorts.

CyberCubed
4th February 2011, 4:31 PM
The plot just wasn't very good. They rehashed DP 1, a copy of Ash's Cynda evolving, and another generic and short Dawn Vs. Johanna battle.

Janovy
4th February 2011, 4:34 PM
The plot just wasn't very good. They rehashed DP 1, a copy of Ash's Cynda evolving, and another generic and short Dawn Vs. Johanna battle.
- Yes, but with multiple Ariados and the shiny one who knew a psychic attack.
- The evolution was awesome, your fault that you didn't like it.
- Dawn almost won, and we got to see a new appeal.
- Each member of her team got to participate in the battle.
- Dawn is motivated again to start traveling.

So yeah, you can't state that that something wasn't good for a fact when the episode had many great points as stated above. Imo, the Brock episode was far worser. :|

CyberCubed
4th February 2011, 4:36 PM
The problem is this Dawn special didn't do anything that couldn't have been done in DP191. It seemed like these were the last few bits the writers forgot to do in that ep.

Chop out the filler girl plot, and they could have had this brief Dawn/Johanna battle in DP191 with Cynda evolving, and her saying she was going to Hoenn.

pokemon fan 132
4th February 2011, 4:41 PM
After watching this episode,my thoughts on it are so-so.It had some good moments but it wasnt particulary great not being one of my favorites.We get to see Dawn questioning herself which pokemon to take with her on next journey with most episode focusing on that girl with conflict with Ariados being created as set up for Cyndaquil evolving which is a plus in my book liking that DAwns team got more muscle into it in for of Quilava.

Overall i give this episode 6.5 out of 10.

If so I hope we get specials about May and Max next. I'd like to see the Johto Grand Festival and what Max is doing now that he isn't travelling. It'd be nice to see a special for Misty and Tracey again too but May and Max should have priority.

Agreed,it would be nice to get more of specials,especially for some older characters like Misty who hasnt been seen for ages with there being left unfinished things in her story potentially getting follow up like goal which is going nowhere at this point or opportunity to find out more about her past and character.

However May definitely deserves special aswell considering she never got any being nice to see how her journey in Johto left,what happened at GF and where she may headed to next,.
About Max,sure i would like to see him again he isnt really on my list of priorities.
In any case characters have more than enough potential to allow for specials to be a hit.

I think its laughable that people think we're going to get specials of Dawn in Hoenn when there's really no purpose. Her story is done.

Not really,true some parts of her story were closed but there are still left unfnished things going for character like her dream of becoming top coordinator like her mother is with new journey opening whole new window of opportunities potentially introducing new subplots about caracter following up on it.

This special was just extension of Dawns adventures not giving closure to anything really.

Chimchar15
4th February 2011, 4:42 PM
Some people didn't like it. GET OVER IT. Stop acting like people can't disagree. I saw it and didn't like it. I have to agree with the point that Cybercubed made. The evolution was ok, nothing special compared to past evolutions. It was really lackluster.It wasn't horrible, but not great. I would say it was ok.

CyberCubed
4th February 2011, 4:45 PM
To be honest it felt like the writers only gave Dawn a special because they were giving Brock one, and obviously if Brock was getting one it would be odd not to give Dawn any.

Teshub
4th February 2011, 4:49 PM
To be honest it felt like the writers only gave Dawn a special because they were giving Brock one, and obviously if Brock was getting one it would be odd not to give Dawn any.

These looked like throwaway episodes they rushed while doing the last DP episode or first BW episodes. The only real significance is that Dawn traveled to Hoenn with her pokemon.

It also means, if people are expecting specials for other characters then they are dreaming. With the effort they put on these two, they wouldn't care 2 beans for even older characters like May or Misty.

CyberCubed
4th February 2011, 4:50 PM
These looked like throwaway episodes they rushed while doing the last DP episode or first BW episodes. The only real significance is that Dawn traveled to Hoenn with her pokemon.

Considering the Brock one used one of the series best animators and writers, they at least put effort into one of them.

Probably because Brock's VA has 13 year seniority with the series, so he deserved a sendoff for all the work he did for the show.

KingMinun
4th February 2011, 4:54 PM
Wow, look at that, a lot of people don't understand the real point of the episode. The point of this episode was to show how much Dawn has grown. They recycled the Ariados thing to show that Dawn has changed from what she used to be back in DP1. So yeah, naturally it is going to feel recycled, but that's not the point of the episode.

Chimchar15
4th February 2011, 4:56 PM
Wow, look at that, a lot of people don't understand the real point of the episode. The point of this episode was to show how much Dawn has grown. They recycled the Ariados thing to show that Dawn has changed from what she used to be back in DP1. So yeah, naturally it is going to feel recycled, but that's not the point of the episode.

I got the point. It was still boring though. They are other ways to show character development.

Teshub
4th February 2011, 4:58 PM

That's what the GF finale was for.

Considering the Brock one used one of the series best animators and writers, they at least put effort into one of them.

Probably because Brock's VA has 13 year seniority with the series, so he deserved a sendoff for all the work he did for the show.

The Brock episode was even more pointless than the Dawn one. They still didn't put that much importance into it.

Also the best writers/animators were working on DP191 and BW01/02. Also from the fact there was no real connection with the Buneary photoshoot tells me the Dawn episode was probably written before the final DP episode. Kind of like, just finish this "extra" quickly while we put more attention to the more important DP finale.

KingMinun
4th February 2011, 5:05 PM
That's what the GF finale was for.

The Brock episode was even more pointless than the Dawn one. They still didn't put that much importance into it.

Also the best writers/animators were working on DP191 and BW01/02. Also from the fact there was no real connection with the Buneary photoshoot tells me the Dawn episode was probably written before the final DP episode. Kind of like, just finish this "extra" quickly while we put more attention to the more important DP finale.

Yes but this episode shows how she can handle the situation now that she has been through her journey.

pokemon fan 132
4th February 2011, 5:13 PM

It also means, if people are expecting specials for other characters then they are dreaming. With the effort they put on these two, they wouldn't care 2 beans for even older characters like May or Misty.

To be fair purpose behind this special was to set up Dawn for her next journey so in reality its not we could expect something especially spectacular when whole episode centered around Dawn deciding to what region she will head and what pokemon she will take with her on next journey.

Episode as a whole was ok for what it did,getting some good things out of it like CYndaquil evolving and showing how far as characte DAwn come by now compared to her beginning days.

Brocks special was though i agree with Cyber better imo,and speaking of future specials we cant know how much of effort writers would put into them foir other characters in case if being made(which i doubt).Going by first set of chronicles some episodes were meh,but on other hand some were great.

Teshub
4th February 2011, 5:19 PM
and speaking of future specials we cant know how much of effort writers would put into them foir other characters in case if being made(which i doubt).Going by first set of chronicles some episodes were meh,but on other hand some were great.

You need to stop living in the past. Whatever the now ancient chronicles were like, it has no relevance to the present. Going by the recent specials the writers won't waste time with old characters anymore.

pokemon fan 132
4th February 2011, 5:33 PM
You need to stop living in the past. Whatever the now ancient chronicles were like, it has no relevance to the present. Going by the recent specials the writers won't waste time with old characters anymore.

Basing things on past events trying to make some pattern out of it isnt the best way to go,with witers often breaking them following different direction.Past two specials cant be taken as indicator for anything really.,

Speaking of Dawn and Brock special,its all matter of opinion really.Some people actually liked them.

Also like i said i doubt there will be more specials but posibillity of it cant be completely excluded.

RickHoenn
4th February 2011, 5:44 PM
The Brock special was definitely better than this boring predictable and horrible special, what a lackluster episode, they should have done better.

this was just a borefest, at least Cynda evolved. and Dawn is going to the holy land of Hoenn, other than that, this was mediocre.

Teshub
4th February 2011, 5:54 PM
The Brock special was definitely better than this boring predictable and horrible special, what a lackluster episode, they should have done better.

this was just a borefest, at least Cynda evolved. and Dawn is going to the holy land of Hoenn, other than that, this was mediocre.

That kind of honesty should also translate to Best Wishes. Several of their episodes were real yawners too.

Chill92
4th February 2011, 5:56 PM
So Dawn is going to Hoenn. Feels like a rse remake in the future soon. I wasn't expecting much anyway from this special (I had hoped for some kind of sign of Ambipom existing, but nope)

Janovy
4th February 2011, 5:56 PM
I still don't understand why these didn't count as DP192 & 193, but were labeled as specials.

croagunk22
4th February 2011, 5:57 PM
i agree with rickhoenn this episode wasnt terrible but wasn't really great brocks was a lot better

Gaiash
4th February 2011, 6:12 PM
I still don't understand why these didn't count as DP192 & 193, but were labeled as specials.
Because they are specials. You might as well ask why the original Brock returning to the Gym special and Misty's first special weren't Johto episodes either since they were pretty much the exact same set up of showing what Ash's companions did after splitting up with Ash.

Janovy
4th February 2011, 6:21 PM
Because they are specials. You might as well ask why the original Brock returning to the Gym special and Misty's first special weren't Johto episodes either since they were pretty much the exact same set up of showing what Ash's companions did after splitting up with Ash.
Well, these had everything that regular DP episodes had. Even the same opening and ending.

RickHoenn
4th February 2011, 6:21 PM
That kind of honesty should also translate to Best Wishes. Several of their episodes were real yawners too.

Being 100% honest the only yawner I found so far in Best Wishes is BW8 darumakka episode I only saw it once, FOR ME the rest of the episodes have been really great (I didn't like that much the plot in BW12 but the episode was alright).

IndigoVanity
4th February 2011, 6:27 PM
This is my opinion of the episode. to me it was just Dawn finalizing her decisions. she mentioned in DP191 wanting to go to another region and even considered going back to Kanto with Ash and Brock up until that whole offer with Buneary came up. Here she finalized going to another region by saying she wanted to go to Hoenn but with that decision came another problem which was which pokemon she want to take but then finalized that decision by taking them all. Honestly i don't think her Cyndaquil's evolution was pointless due to Ash's Cyndaquil evolving although i do agree that they could have gave her Quilava another attack besides Eruption. There is a very big difference between Ash's Cyndaquil and her's that i found doesn't make it a copy.

-Ash's Cyndaquil throughout the Jhoto region already had plenty of personality and it was able to hold it's own in battle so maybe at the time they figured it was nothing else they could do with it if they made it evolve. The only reason it evolved in the first place was out of FEAR of being captured by TR.

-Dawn's Cyndaquil on the other hand was very young due to being hatched from an egg. It didn't really have any battle experience and Dawn only used it in the appeal round of contests, (i could be wrong), i quess because since it was so young she didn't want to use it in battles. Cyndaquil always has to fight for her attention (with Piplup). So this evolution was just so Cyndaquil can get Dawn's attention and prove itself to her showing that it is strong can it can be a good battler which is exactly what it did.

so i don't think this evolution was pointless although like i said before they could have gave it a different attack.

Blazicken
4th February 2011, 6:47 PM
did any of you actiually watch the episode? If so, i'd love to know where.

(Just for the record, I'm not reading any of this discussion based on screencaps and summaries since it'll ruin the ep)

Teshub
4th February 2011, 6:57 PM
did any of you actiually watch the episode? If so, i'd love to know where.

I can honestly say I did not, I am waiting to see it to give my own opinion on it.

So far Im only observing the opinions of others who say saw them, allegedly. They are saying both specials were failures because they didn't really concentrate on their perspective goals (being a doctor or contests/pokestylist). Instead they were mostly based on rehash storylines about choosing a starter or taking care of the gym.

Gaiash
4th February 2011, 7:09 PM
Well, these had everything that regular DP episodes had. Even the same opening and ending.
No they didn't. They both missed a very important thing that seperates a regular episode from a special episode. Ash Ketchum. If Ash is not there it is a special episode, not a regular one.

Bubblewrap
4th February 2011, 7:10 PM
No I haven't yet. I'm getting pretty worried I won't ever get a chance to, but eh.

Teshub
4th February 2011, 7:15 PM
The real reason I want to see the episodes is because there might be some coded hints about what will happen in the future. But things like that go over peoples head especially when they already made it up their minds the episode sucks and saw it from a crap Keyhole stream.

sonsam
4th February 2011, 10:00 PM
Will Dawn come to Unova to see Ash just like Misty and May did.

Pepsi_Plunge
4th February 2011, 10:21 PM

Isshu isn't around the corner.

Gaiash
4th February 2011, 11:09 PM
If she does it won't be for quite a while. May and Misty's visits to Sinnoh and Hoenn were quite a bit into the series, especially May's.

solarlunarxiii
5th February 2011, 1:40 AM
Though I can't find the episode, I think Dawn going to Hoenn is amazing. Being a Ruby Sapphire kid, it just looks like another hint toward a remake!

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
5th February 2011, 1:55 AM
where can i find this stupid episodes '' jeez

CyberCubed
5th February 2011, 6:38 AM
Wow, look at that, a lot of people don't understand the real point of the episode. The point of this episode was to show how much Dawn has grown.

Dawn hasn't grown at all. Her personality is exactly the same now as it was in DP1.

The only thing that changed about her is her skill in Contests, but personality wise she's the same stagnant character she always was.

This is probably why a lot of people didn't care for the character, she showed no personality growth or change whatsoever.

Janovy
5th February 2011, 8:41 AM
Dawn hasn't grown at all. Her personality is exactly the same now as it was in DP1.

The only thing that changed about her is her skill in Contests, but personality wise she's the same stagnant character she always was.

This is probably why a lot of people didn't care for the character, she showed no personality growth or change whatsoever.
Uh, speaking of character development - Dawn got the most of that, from all the other girls. Also, a lot of people loved Dawn, the fact you dislike her doesn't count as if a lot of people hate her.

KingMinun
5th February 2011, 9:57 AM

I get the feeling you've never watched DP. Dawn went through tremendous growth. She started out as a overly confident girl who secretly was actually scared (hence the whole "no need to worry" "but that's when I worry the most") she had the confidence knocked out of her and she was on the verge of quitting. But later she found the confidence and was able to prove to her mother that she was a strong girl and there really is no need to worry. I suggest you go back and watch DP if you think Dawn hasn't changed. And if you think that, well, take a look at May.

EDIT: Finally saw this episode! To be honest, I really enjoyed it, the scenes, the combinations, the music. It was great. I don't mind them throwing in Ariados every so often, as long as its different. And besides, I don't see what the big deal is with repeating things in episodes, we sat through 13 years of watching Team Rocket getting blasted off in pretty much every episode. Having Ariados attack Dawn every so often should be such a big deal. And the whole Piplup and Chimchar thing was fine too, it was different from last time. I loved this epiosde, its probably because I'm a fan of Dawn, but it showed me how much she has developed and I'm glad they gave her Cyndaquil/Quilava a good personality, it seemed with the 2 main cast Cyndaquil's that they didn't have much of a personality, even with the short lived Piplup Vs Cyndaquil rivalry which I'm glad they brought back. Cannot wait for the dub verison!

Also, seeing as these 2 episodes used the opening and ending of DP, shouldn't they technically be DP192 and DP193?

G50
5th February 2011, 10:47 AM
I finally got a chance to view this episode. The color on that shiny Ariados was really cool. I think Dawn decided to bring all of her Pokemon with her to Hoenn. I can't understand much Japanese, but it did sound like that's what she decided. Even though it was very similar to the 1st DP episode, I found that other girl to be really funny, especially when she went histerical when Chimchar and Piplup escaped.

49/100

Platinum fan.
5th February 2011, 4:51 PM
I get the feeling you've never watched DP. Dawn went through tremendous growth. She started out as a overly confident girl who secretly was actually scared (hence the whole "no need to worry" "but that's when I worry the most") she had the confidence knocked out of her and she was on the verge of quitting. But later she found the confidence and was able to prove to her mother that she was a strong girl and there really is no need to worry. I suggest you go back and watch DP if you think Dawn hasn't changed. And if you think that, well, take a look at May.

EDIT: Finally saw this episode! To be honest, I really enjoyed it, the scenes, the combinations, the music. It was great. I don't mind them throwing in Ariados every so often, as long as its different. And besides, I don't see what the big deal is with repeating things in episodes, we sat through 13 years of watching Team Rocket getting blasted off in pretty much every episode. Having Ariados attack Dawn every so often should be such a big deal. And the whole Piplup and Chimchar thing was fine too, it was different from last time. I loved this epiosde, its probably because I'm a fan of Dawn, but it showed me how much she has developed and I'm glad they gave her Cyndaquil/Quilava a good personality, it seemed with the 2 main cast Cyndaquil's that they didn't have much of a personality, even with the short lived Piplup Vs Cyndaquil rivalry which I'm glad they brought back. Cannot wait for the dub verison!

Also, seeing as these 2 episodes used the opening and ending of DP, shouldn't they technically be DP192 and DP193?

Don't let Cybercubed bug you, it's not worth the effort. He's really become Dawn troll ever since she was confirmed to get a special and has been trying to bring down her character in any and every way he can and secretly trying to get the Dawn haters to respond. I think deep down his inner May fanboy never healed from this wound. But I agree with you. To say Dawn hasn't changed at all you either didn't watch DP or hate Dawn enough you overlook it.

Tom Greenville
5th February 2011, 5:35 PM
Hm... so the Dawn Special doesn't revolve around Pokemon Fashion at all?

Personally, I would've held off on Dawn until a Musicals arc in B/W proper and have her come in to be Cilan's costumer. But, meh.

On the plus side... those of you wanting her to have Treeco need to rethink that position, 'cause that's Max's starter.

Boy, would that Ralts be surprised to find its Max traveling with a girl. (Come on! You know it'll happen, even if it only happens off-screen.)

Anyway, yeah, I feel that the loss of the Pokemon Fashion Designer subplot was a bit of a waste. But, again, the ShowoffShippy! potential for Dawn and Max to share adventures partially mitigates that. The events of the episode itself... could've been done in either context (contest journey OR fashion internship).

Also, I'm calling this now: Look for Ash's Quilava to evolve into a Typhlosion by the end of, not the Unova tourney, but the one immediately thereafter. All we need is bacon boy to fully evolve and Ash could replace Blaine! (Not that he'd want to...)

Remarks about former party members not en-route to Hoenn are reserved for my post in Brock's Episode.

Blazicken
5th February 2011, 7:22 PM
I didn't mind them trying to put in some nostalgia-stuff for the viewers since it's been a few years allready since dawn's first ep.
And Quilava rules, so yeah...
All in all a bit boring, but I enoyed it nonetheless.
Too bad she didn't catch that shiny Ariados.

Marbi Z
5th February 2011, 11:48 PM
Those damn japs better bring this and brocks special to the rest of the world!!! There's no reason! No reason! For them to be stranded in japan!!!

Gaiash
6th February 2011, 12:13 AM
Those damn japs better bring this and brocks special to the rest of the world!!! There's no reason! No reason! For them to be stranded in japan!!!
It'll be subbed in due time.

However I don't see this being dubbed unless we get more specials.

CyberCubed
6th February 2011, 4:36 AM

Are you being serious? Dawn's personality is EXACTLY the same. She was always a mix of being overconfident and doubting herself. You can watch DP1 and this special side by side, and she's the same exact character in both, just with more pokemon.

I have watched the entire DP series, and I found Dawn more interesting before the writers decided to turn her into a female Ash clone.

Her interactions with the main cast didn't change, her rivals didn't change, everything about her was just so stagnant and one-dimensional.

Just because you're obsessed with Dawn doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Janovy
6th February 2011, 7:52 AM
Just because you're obsessed with Dawn doesn't mean the rest of us are.
1. No one is obsessed with Dawn, her fans are defending her.
2. "Us?" So far, you are the only one complaining.

So yeah. No matter how much you bash the girl and despite the countless inexistent downsides you propose, her fans will stay loyal to her. Just give up.

CyberCubed
6th February 2011, 7:55 AM
So yeah. No matter how much you bash the girl and despite the countless inexistent downsides you propose, her fans will stay loyal to her. Just give up.

I am not bashing the character, I have no disdain for her.

To me, it seems Dawn's personality remained exactly the same over her entire run. Past girls like Misty/May seemed matured or grown up by the time they left, but with Dawn, I can watch DP1 and DP191 or this special back to back, and she seems the same to me.

And honestly, I didn't like some of Dawn's rivals just like a lot of people didn't, nor did I care for the Dawn/Brock forced interaction.

I've always said the DP group needed a 4th character like Barry or a similar Max-type character to make it interesting. Doing a trio only works if the characters interact well, as we see with Iris and Dento in BW.

Marbi Z
6th February 2011, 3:16 PM
It'll be subbed in due time.

However I don't see this being dubbed unless we get more specials.

Those God Damn Japs!!! Don't they understand that the US is the pinnicle of Pokemon Popularity!?

deathseer
6th February 2011, 3:43 PM

Don't worry. Cybs didn't actually watch DP, he justs pretends that he did. Hence the moronic notions he keeps making abd his odd obsessions with Misty and May.

Otherwise, he wouldn't make such idiotic statements.

CyberCubed
6th February 2011, 4:03 PM
Don't worry. Cybs didn't actually watch DP, he justs pretends that he did. Hence the moronic notions he keeps making abd his odd obsessions with Misty and May.

Otherwise, he wouldn't make such idiotic statements.

I watched every single episode. Just because Dawn remained the same personality wise and didn't grow at all doesn't mean I didn't watch it.

I don't think people know what, "character development" actually means.

deathseer
6th February 2011, 4:16 PM
I watched every single episode. Just because Dawn remained the same personality wise and didn't grow at all doesn't mean I didn't watch it.

I don't think people know what, "character development" actually means.

Well, someone's goggles are a little bit "Misty" going into "May".

Because you clearly don't know what character development is. Now that DP is over, you are trying to disrespect every little aspect of Dawn's character right down to what Pokemon she received and what their purpose was. And quite frankly, we all wish you would just shut it already.

She was an amazing and popular character, whether you want to admit or not. She had actual development from start to finish and we all know it. Although this may come as a shock to someone without a brainstem like you. You continue to keep saying how "boring" she was or how much she wasn't liked. But you know that's further from the truth. But I'm guessing it would literally kill you to admit it.

The fact that Misty and May now barely get any attention has you fuming, so now you want to say how terrible Dawn was because she excelled where the others failed. She didn't sit in background like the others. She was well involved in the show on a level equal to Ash. The others just played second banana until their eventual departure. But again, you would never admit any of these character faults, would you?

So quite frankly, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about and since DP's end, you have done nothing but try to subtly bash Dawn's character. The growth and development she had was obvious to anyone who watch the series from start to finish, and for you to try to say that it was completely non-existent is not only idiotic, but a testament to your total ignorance.

So this is a just a case of "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all". Because people are sick of your so called "facts" and would sincerely like it if you would just shut it already with them.

CyberCubed
6th February 2011, 4:34 PM
She was an amazing and popular character, whether you want to admit or not. She had actual development from start to finish and we all know it. Although this may come as a shock to someone without a brainstem like you. You continue to keep saying how "boring" she was or how much she wasn't liked. But you know that's further from the truth. But I'm guessing it would literally kill you to admit it.

Dawn has a fanbase, however there were just as many dissecting opinions over her during DP as well. Nobody could have been oblivious to all the Piplup bashing in the fandom, or how people talked about Dawn's girliness being too over the top. Surely you noticed this as I remember you commenting on it.

The fact that Misty and May now barely get any attention has you fuming, so now you want to say how terrible Dawn was because she excelled where the others failed. She didn't sit in background like the others. She was well involved in the show on a level equal to Ash. The others just played second banana until their eventual departure. But again, you would never admit any of these character faults, would you?

Keep in mind getting a lot of screentime =/= better character. Dawn's screentime was reduced halfway into DP anyway, with the latter half being Piplup fillers rather than Dawn herself. The writers probably figured Piplup was more popular in Japan than the character, which is why Piplup kept getting eps to itself.

Misty may not have done anything, but pre-Johto she was pretty good. People only complained about her once she got Togepi. And May got pretty good screentime over the course of AG, it didn't have to be as much as Dawn's.

The growth and development she had was obvious to anyone who watch the series from start to finish, and for you to try to say that it was completely non-existent is not only idiotic, but a testament to your total ignorance.

What is different about her personality in this ep than DP1? She acts the same way, she has the same reaction to what's going on. Likewise, her interaction with her rivals did not change over the course of DP, her interactions with Ash/Brock remained the same, etc.

Dawn is like a Dragonball Z character, she goes through tons of development in terms of battling and Pokemon, but personality wise she remains exactly the same.

Sushi
6th February 2011, 4:38 PM
Can we please stop being so rude to each other and just focus on nothing but the episode? Thanks :]

GaZsTiC
6th February 2011, 4:42 PM
personality wise she remains exactly the same.

She doesn't cry and moan when she loses Contests any more. She isn't a house-trained idiot who doesn't have a clue about what to do, how to go on adventures and how to train Pokemon any more. She became mature enough to let her friends leave her and follow her own path.

If you think her personality didn't change, think again.

Gaiash
6th February 2011, 5:02 PM
She doesn't cry and moan when she loses Contests any more. She isn't a house-trained idiot who doesn't have a clue about what to do, how to go on adventures and how to train Pokemon any more. She became mature enough to let her friends leave her and follow her own path.

If you think her personality didn't change, think again.
I think what Cyber is trying to say is compared to May Dawn didn't change that much as a character during her character development. You think about how when May left she didn't really like Pokemon and knew nothing about Pokemon Contests and during her journey not only did she quickly grow to love Pokemon her stance on contests changed as she continued her journey.

Dawn knew what she wanted the moment she left and so while she did have her fair share of character development she was still very much the same person as she was at the start of the series just with a better grasp on her emotions.

I think despite the way he makes them Cyber does have some good points behind his arguments.

deathseer
6th February 2011, 5:07 PM
I think what Cyber is trying to say is compared to May Dawn didn't change that much as a character during her character development. You think about how when May left she didn't really like Pokemon and knew nothing about Pokemon Contests and during her journey not only did she quickly grow to love Pokemon her stance on contests changed as she continued her journey.

Dawn knew what she wanted the moment she left and so while she did have her fair share of character development she was still very much the same person as she was at the start of the series just with a better grasp on her emotions.

I think despite the way he makes them Cyber does have some good points behind his arguments.

So because May didn't like Pokemon at first, that means she got more development? I'm assuming that Dawn should have gotten the same treatment then. But of course he would complain that would make Dawn even more bland and unlikeable.

He is just bashing for the sake of bashing. Dawn had just as much development as May. Just because May had some existential crisis about not liking Pokemon at first doesn't mean she had more development.

Gaiash
6th February 2011, 5:29 PM
So because May didn't like Pokemon at first, that means she got more development? I'm assuming that Dawn should have gotten the same treatment then. But of course he would complain that would make Dawn even more bland and unlikeable.

He is just bashing for the sake of bashing. Dawn had just as much development as May. Just because May had some existential crisis about not liking Pokemon at first doesn't mean she had more development.
I'd like to point out that I'm not saying she got no character development. I'm saying hers didn't change her as much as May's did. The reason I like May so much is how she changes throughout the series. With Dawn while she doesn't change as much she is still a decent character with interesting stories about her, I just don't think this episode was one of them.

While May and Dawn have their similarities they are very different characters and the only reasons they get compared so much are that they came one after the other and because they're both coordinators.

As for Cyber as I said it's really the way he makes his points/arguments that is the issue. The bashing is a part of this but behind all this I do see the occational good point that is the core of his argument but not enough attention is given to it.

ShinyVaati
6th February 2011, 5:45 PM
I honestly couldn't help but enjoy Dawn's special episode more than Brock's. I know it didn't have as much going on in it as Brock's did, but something about it made me like it more. It might be that I like Dawn better Brock (which I do) so I only naturally prefer her's, although its probably that in Dawn's episode we see her advance and move on by learning that's she's decided to go to Hoenn and compete there, and we see her leave Sinnoh behind and start a new journey. The episode was about Dawn and her next step in life.
We don't really get this in Brock's episode. Other than a nice battle or two, his episode seems more like yet another family crisis about the gym, not about Brock's own advancement. But this thread isn't for discussing that.

I found this to be enjoyable and I really hope we get a few more of these episodes sprinkled throughout the future.

Juputoru
7th February 2011, 2:57 AM
Since Sushi's polite post didn't seem to get the message across, let's try a firmer sentence in size 5 font!
Stop arguing about May and Dawn here. This thread is for discussing the episode, not for character arguments.

EDIT: Now that I've looked through the thread more thoroughly, I have this to add:
Do not ask where to find the episodes. This includes youtube, subs, and portals directly into your brain. If you didn't see the episodes as they aired on Thursday, then there's no legal way for you to see them now. That means there's no way to see them that you're allowed to discuss on SPPf.

We will now return to my regularly scheduled commentary/review/thing.
-Aw, they brought back Saikou Everyday just for this. :3
-It's morning, and Dawn's still in bed. Slacker.
-Wait, Piplup isn't Dawn! Where is she, then? Why, she's...practicing appeals with Cyndaquil! Yep, here's what's probably the last contesty thing we'll see in the anime. *sniff*
-Dawn's theme is playing. Because we never got to hear enough of Kimi ni Soba de throughout DP.
-Cyndaquil picked the wrong Pokemon to try bragging to. Piplup won't let anyone but Piplup be proud!
-Now Dawn and her mom are battling because...because!
-Dawn makes a pretty nice combination...which Johanna immediately destroys.
-Dawn and her mom talk about Zoey and the GF, then...Dawn says something that catches her mom off guard! What could this mean? Why it's...a combination of fire and water! Tucker would be proud...if he had any idea who Dawn was, anyway.
-And then the fire/water combo explodes for no reason.
-Apparently Cyndaquil and Piplup aren't getting along too well lately.
-Dawn has her sights set on Houen now! This contest thing has gone full circle! (she also mentions Wallace, which is a nice touch)
-A couple of people come in bearing veggies, and...that one guy has one hell of a combover.
-How did Cyndaquil even fit into that bag?
-And now for the best Professor in the entire series: ROWAN! He's busy...inspecting random Pokemon or something? Whatever it is, I'm sure it has some important purpose for SCIENCE!
-Rowan's lecturing Dawn about something. I have no idea what, but it's definitely a lecture.
-There's a new trainer, and she's...NERD! NERD! NEEEERRRRD!
-Chimchar resorts to violence in its attempts to be chosen!
-Chimchar escapes! This episode is seeming oddly familiar all of a sudden...
-Piplup escapes too. Deja vu levels increasing.
-You know, shouldn't someone be in the room with the new trainer as they decide on their starter? If only to prevent stuff like this from happening?
-We'll never see this random girl again, but her panicked attempt to point out what happened is funny enough that I like her already.
-Dawn and Piplup are all alone in the eyecatch. :(
-Random Girl seems to have heard of Dawn getting to the Grand Festival. Now if only random people had any idea how far Ash has gotten in various Leagues...
-Don't these starters have Pokeballs? Shouldn't Rowan have given them to Dawn? There's no reason they should be chasing Chimchar around like this!
-Turns out that NotDawn's!Piplup and Chimchar are caught in an Ariados web. Seriously? The writers seriously went there?
-...Dawn, you're seriously dexing Ariados? Do you somehow not remember this from your first day of adventuring?
-I have to say, a giant gridded web loaded with giant spiders that are out for blood is legitimately terrifying.
-Was it really necessary to give Dawn a seperate cutaway shot for each attack order she sent out? Oh well, at least all of her Pokemon are seeing some action here.
-Something is randomly psychically attacking Dawn and co! Oh dear!
-Wait, Ariados can do that?
-Now everyone is webbed up! But...uh...couldn't Cyndaquil burn off the webs just by firing up its back flames?
-Wait, Cynda is about to do something! It's...evolving. I guess that's a less-creative way to solve the problem.
-It's Kimi ni Soba de again, now with lyrics!
-I like how Dawn bothers to scan Quilava with her dex even though she's still wrapped in the webbing. That's dedication!
-...wait, that Ariados is purple! It's a shiny! How the hell did I not notice that before?
-And now Quilava just burns the webbing off.
-Goddamn, Eruption is powerful.
-The day is saved, and...Pokemon Symphonic Medley 2? That was unexpected, but I'll take it!
-Random Girl doesn't pick a starter(yet?), and Dawn rattles on about her team for some reason.
-And the ep ends with Dawn sailing off to Houen, never to be seen again(?).

I nitpicked the logic here a lot more than I did in Brock's episode, but it was a better episode overall(even if the recycled situation from DP001 was too cheesy for my tastes). We got to see all of Dawn's Pokemon one last time, and the ending for this ep was much more satisfying("Dawn's setting off on a new journey!" vs "Pewter Gym is saved! Again!").

pokemon fan 132
7th February 2011, 2:20 PM
After watching this episode once more i must say that it wasnt bad at all as some make it out to be.Sure some things seemed like rehash but whole episode sended nice message letting viewers to know where is Dawn going setting her up for journey.We also finded that Dawn favorize Wallace making sense behind her decision of parting in Hoenn. Encounter with group of Ariados was ok having its interesting momnts and evolution of Cyndaquil was highlight of episode in my opinion.

Misty may not have done anything, but pre-Johto she was pretty good.

Well we all have our opinions,personally i liked her as character in Johto aswell.
Majority of complaints were for her not getting enough focus in first longer saga but as character she was well liked.

CliveKoopa
7th February 2011, 4:34 PM
When did this episode come out? Has there really been new Chronicles episodes? Has this been aired in English and in the UK? I didn't even know there were new specials out until I noticed this thread.

Marbi Z
7th February 2011, 5:25 PM
I saw the episode pictures of this episode. When I first herd of it I thought it would feature Dawn and Brock together but they may have been talking about a future Special. Anyway, that future special better also come to the US and the rest of the world! You Japs better not hold out on the rest of the Pokemon fans!

Juputoru
8th February 2011, 12:45 AM
When did this episode come out? Has there really been new Chronicles episodes? Has this been aired in English and in the UK? I didn't even know there were new specials out until I noticed this thread.
1)These episodes just aired in Japan last Thursday. They're not really part of Chronicles, and given how recently they aired in Japan, they're obviously not out in English yet.
2)Please don't post in episode discussion threads unless you've actually watched the episode in question. If you have a question about where a special's aired so far, go to the Single Anime Questions thread. (or look it up on Bulbapedia; they list the original Japanese and US airdates for everything. If it hasn't aired in the US yet, it probably hasn't aired in the UK yet)

Lucas.G
22nd February 2011, 4:27 PM
Why there werent eposodes like this one but about Misty or May journey?

CyberCubed
22nd February 2011, 5:58 PM
Why there werent eposodes like this one but about Misty or May journey?

They were DP specials, so they only covered Dawn/Brock, since they were the characters who just left.

quilava99
23rd March 2011, 7:43 AM
I can't wait to see Dawn's adventure in Hoenn.

CyberCubed
23rd March 2011, 7:50 AM
I can't wait to see Dawn's adventure in Hoenn.

Don't get your hopes up, it doesn't seem like we're going to see any of it.

iygt
23rd March 2011, 7:34 PM
I hope we will see Dawn again, the best character so far

CyberCubed
23rd March 2011, 7:47 PM
There are no more specials announced. It seem to be a oneshot thing.

Dawn+Serena Fan
23rd March 2011, 11:16 PM
I hope these specials air in the dub since I missed seeing them when they came out.

CliveKoopa
12th April 2011, 9:38 PM
There are no more specials announced. It seem to be a oneshot thing.

That's a shame. We didn't even get to see any Hoenn spin-offs.

KingMinun
12th April 2011, 10:12 PM
That's a shame. We didn't even get to see any Hoenn spin-offs.

Don't listen to Cyber, he's jumping the gun, for all we know there could be more spread out throughout the Unova journey.

CyberCubed
15th April 2011, 6:47 PM
DP ended back in September in Japan, so the longer we go away from that, the less relevant Dawn and even the DP series in general becomes. I could see her getting a bit of focus if R/S remakes ever happen, but even then they might just advertise R/S in the BW series like they did with HGSS last saga, and not focus on any in-Hoenn adventures.

Caseydia
1st May 2011, 6:17 PM
One reason why I enjoyed Dawn's special more than Brock's was because Brock has had alot of specials between him and his family with always trying to save that gym. As for seeing them both, I really don't want to think about it anymore. I'm just getting pretty tired of the same stuff over and over.

Battra
6th June 2011, 5:57 AM
Nice seeing Dawn go on another journey, especially with her whole team. Certainly be interested in seeing what she catches in Hoen when they decide to have her guest appear in Best Wishes. Also cool seeing a Shiny Ariados.

Zoruagible
13th July 2011, 9:04 PM
I loved this episode, I find it funny how she scanned Quilava when she saw Ash`s Quilava not too long ago.

Banana Knight Arthur
16th July 2011, 1:21 AM
This episode was very vanilla. I wish they'd of done something different/more original.

Quilava evolving from cyndaquil was the part of the episode that saved it for me.

I always enjoy seeing Dawn's Togekiss, that was a good addition to her team.

I hope her team changes next time we see her, cut the fat(figure of speech), *coughcough* Pachirisu.

Platinum fan.
16th July 2011, 3:58 AM
Pachirisu is fat? Could have fooled me.

Victory
14th August 2011, 7:53 PM
Is this airing in the US?

CyberCubed
17th August 2011, 7:07 AM
Is this airing in the US?

It'll air eventually. Every special usually gets dubbed later in the U.S.

BIGJRA
17th August 2011, 7:09 AM
When does/did it air? VM the answer

OnceUponATime
16th October 2011, 2:14 AM
I enjoyed seeing all of her Poke's again! Cyndaquil evolving and the shiny Ariados made the episode for me!!

Caseydia
8th November 2011, 4:33 AM
Why are people making a huge deal about this particular special episode? We've seen specials before and we've seen Brock and his unrealiable family mess up before. Why such the big deal?

Dawn+Serena Fan
16th March 2012, 9:27 PM
I just watched this and Brock's special today and I liked them both, but it makes me miss Dawn and Brock. And seriously when is the dub gonna air? It's been over a year since the original episodes aired.

Faker500
3rd April 2012, 2:51 AM
Dawn's special was nice. It would have been cool if Dawn started her journey with Cinco and Barry to give her her own group since she had the Pokemon and the experience now but I guess the writers won't do anything that great.:(

All in all it was a very interesting episode.

32er
14th May 2012, 11:57 PM
I just watched this and Brock's special today and I liked them both, but it makes me miss Dawn and Brock. And seriously when is the dub gonna air? It's been over a year since the original episodes aired.

I doubt they ever be dubbed.

Anyway, Nice episode... Prefered it to the Brock Side-episode.

R?IDDl3R
21st May 2012, 9:52 PM

oh it will air in US .. but not soon since dawn will be returning in best wishes season 2 .. joining ash iris and cilan.. its gonna be awesome!

Doryuzu
1st January 2013, 4:35 PM
Felt really good to see "new" episodes on Hikari and Takeshi two years after their departures. I finally got to see them after so long, I think that's what really made them more enjoyable for me. Seeing them after a 100 episodes of BW has more of an impact than seeing them after 25 episodes of BW.

Hikari - Setting off on a New Journey!

Hinoarashi's evolution scene, it looked pretty nice. Not to mention the Pokemon itself is pretty cute and seeing it evolve into a Magmarashi and wield that badass new Eruption was golden and made me smile.
Gotta love that music, remixed in fact. Really liked hearing Saikyou Everyday, By Your Side~Hikari's Theme, and Kimi Mune Lalala. Hikari's Theme playing during Hinoarashi's evolution was icing.
The Contest Battle at the beginning was pretty okay, I loved the reference to the Grand Festival with Ayako's Nyarumaa using Slap Hands to nullify Hydro Pump.

That different-colored Ariados was actually a bit of a highlight, being able to use a dynamic move like Psychic too. I agree with Iteru though it would have been a bit more realistic for Magmarashi to counter it with Extrasensory than just having the sheer strength to fend it off. I'm suppose to believe Mammoo can't break free of that move but Magmarashi can?

Bad Points:
They kinda overdid it with the episode rehashes, while I was okay with the Slap Hands scene the Ariados encounter and Pokemon escaping from the lab scenes seemed kinda overdone.
The constant Pochama and Hinoarashi scraps got tedious and I'm glad Magmarashi matured upon evolving and stopped that.

I realize they just appeared to appear, but I didn't care about the rest of Hikari's team. It reminded me how stagnating Mimirol, Pachirisu, and Pochama were.(At least in terms of maturity, Pochama has been the same since day one) Togekiss was just kinda...there, shame since the Pokemon itself is cool.

Shinko was bland, her catchphrase and quirk with the notepad got annoying.

I'm so tired of Speed Star, Bubblebeam, and Shadow Ball.

*Overall, I think to really appreciate this episode, like someone else said you really have to be a big fan of Hikari.

zhixun
20th May 2014, 12:21 AM
This episode is similar to how Hikari started the journey but with a different trainer. Both Hikozaru and Pochama left out of the forest and then caught by an Ariados. But this time Hikozaru got stuck into the web as well. Luckily the new trainer did not choose the Pokémon at the time or otherwise it would just be a copy of Hikari. Hope to see more development of Hikari in the future contest.

Dawn+Serena Fan
2nd July 2014, 6:41 PM
I just re-watched this episode after about 2 years or so, it really is a great episode. The bgm in this were amazing especially the variations of Dawn's theme By Your Side and the symphonic medley version of the Greatest Everyday opening at the end. The battles were well done too. The part where Cyndaquil evolves until Quilava and uses Eruption on the Ariados was probably my favorite part of the episode. It's good to know that Dawn decided to go to Hoenn with all of her Pokemon, though I wish they would have covered how she was doing in Hoenn when she returned in BW, maybe something about that might happen for ORAS promotion in XY? I also still hope that they dub this episode. I rate it 10/10