PDA

View Full Version : Dead forum...thought I'd try and fix it :P (Gen3 OU)

meteor64
3rd February 2011, 10:03 AM
This is one of my many teams from Pokemon Online.
I somehow won a tourney with this team, so it must be good in some sense, right?
Confidence issues aside, here it is. Its a bit different, but evidently effective.

Regice @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SAtk
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psych Up
- Rest

Possibly the best bulky lead in the game, IMO. Salamence is so overused as a lead, as well as Aero, I can scare them off without much threat to myself. Zapdos also fears this, and so does Milotic and Starmie (although thats not an amazing lead in the first place). Sceptile can't stay in, Gengar can attempt a hypnosis (but then what?). Simply put, this scares off much more than people expect. I seem to be the only person who uses Regice leads, and that concerns me, its a really effective lead, yet I see people using horrendous Skarmory leads instead. That annoys me.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 52 HP / 204 Atk / 36 SAtk / 216 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt

216 Speed is specifically to outrun Timid Alakazam after a Dragon Dance. Smogon EVs suck. The deal is, D-Nite is fat enough to suck up Non-STAB Ice Beams (hey there Swampert) and therefore potentially get 2 DDs in- one when they switch, the other when they Ice Beam. If Skarmory switches in, say hi to Thunderbolt (I can't stand Thunder). Other than that, its simple.
This gets walled by Zapdos, rather like Tauntrados does.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Psychic
- Fire Punch

My favourite Jira set. Wish on the first turn, since a counter is likely to switch in. If the counter is specially offensive, its pretty much gg. Jira can CM up whilst Wishing away, and that EV/Nature setup gives 301 speed - enough to outspeed Adamant Sala and those who want to outspeed Adamant Sala.
Once this gets going, its nigh on impossible to stop. Only Dugtrio really has a chance to stop it. Blissey isn't even safe, since it risks a 20% chance of a Sp.Def drop (although T-wave is annoying). It can also survive Swampert STAB EQ, although obviously not repeated blows.

Flygon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 120 Atk / 136 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Two dragons? Wtf? This simply has the function of being annoying and switching in on the plethora of resistances/immunities it has. Switch in, Sub up and see what comes in. This isn't actually expected to kill anything at all, rather it provides a good switch in to certain things (looking at you, Zapdos).

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Rest

Hidden Power Ghost? What is this blasphemy?

Simply put, I hate Gengar. As soon as Forretress appears, Gengar thinks its perfectly cool to switch in and be super annoying with its spinblocking powers and immunity to Earthquake. Admittedly, Gar has WoW to stop me from doing decent damage to it, but repeatedly catching it on the switch in will piss it off no end.

Otherwise, the set is standard.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Two special walls? Yeah, that's right. Regice is much more of a direct threat, and can dent a lot of things, however it lacks team support, which Bliss can do no problem. The only other decent source of status cure is Celebi (and I suppose Miltank), but the team is susceptible to Ice attacks as it is. Thunder Wave slows down things for D-Nite, so it can put even more of a scare in things. The EVs and Nature look a bit odd, but theres enough physical defense on the team anyway, and with this spread, enemy Celebi dont suck as much out of Bliss with Leech Seed. Calm Bliss still has 119 Def, which isn't far off Bold's 130 at all. The trade-off for this is a much improved 405 Sp.Def, which stops even +6 CMers dead. Gl getting round this, Raikou.

So... thats it. :P

Blue Harvest
11th February 2011, 12:06 AM
I don't see any obvious moveset flaws and since I never played 3rd gen I don't think I can help much.

You seem to be extremely Curse Snorlax weak. Literally nothing can touch it once it gets a Curse. Regice does 15% tops with Thunderbolt and Flygon will never do more than 25% with EQ after a single curse. I'm not sure how Regice does but in theory you will get crit eventually by +6 Snorlax since even with a freeze lax has a good chance of winning. I don't know how to fix this besides lol, Explosion on Regice or to run Choice Band Metagross somewhere.

I don't see anything else (my knowledge of 3rd gen is extremely limited). Looks solid.

(not that you'll ever check back here)

meteor64
19th February 2011, 6:34 PM
I checked back :O

You do have a point bout Curselax. Theres not a whole lot I can do to it, because I lack Roar, and the only thing with good defense on the team is Forretress, who can't touch it.

So I think Suicune is a good idea for replacement- What's your verdict?

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Atk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Rest
- Roar

Something like that? This replaces Flygon, who currently doesn't do a whole lot.

artbomber_97
21st February 2011, 9:06 AM
Suicune is a good counter, but it is hit hard by Snorlax before it is Roared out. Skarmory is also a good one if Snorlax doesn't have Fire Blast or Thunderbolt (meh, doesn't matter anyways). That's my opinion. And it's not like Blue Harvest is gonna ever check back here again lol.

meteor64
22nd February 2011, 10:05 AM
So...
Skarm @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Sp.Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
- Spikes
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rest
- Whirlwind

I do see a flaw in that my team becomes ridiculously stally, but other wise, thats Curselax sorted :p

Blue Harvest
23rd February 2011, 3:09 AM
Kind of, Snorlax still 3HKOs at +6 so Skarmory won't stop last poke Curselax.

You can probably just use an offensive Psych Up Metagross and turn Snorlax into a HUGE liability. Theres also Subseed Celebi which beats Snorlax and does decently against Suicune.

meteor64
23rd February 2011, 9:01 AM
I'm sorry, but what DOES stop last poke Curselax outside of a Hazer?

Psych Up Metagross sounds interesting...

One problem I have noticed with all of these Lax counters though- bar Suicune, they all have a Fire weakness, which would make half of my team weak to Fire. Problematic, especially when I have a Houndoom chucking Pursuit and Flamethrower everywhere :/

Blue Harvest
23rd February 2011, 9:32 AM
Choice Band Metagross 2HKOs it with Meteor Mash even after a Curse and Explosion blows it into chunks.

I would just drop Jirachi or Forretress. Then again its up to you. I have no idea how common Snorlax was in R/S/E so if you feel you've got it covered by running Skarmory > Forretress you should be fine.

meteor64
23rd February 2011, 1:07 PM
If I drop Forretress, I lose Rapid Spin. If I drop Jira, I lose my only decent Special hitter.

The only things I don't need are Flygon and Regice, and Regice is too good a lead to pass up, so all I can afford to drop is Flygon, really. Tbh, I don't mind the idea of Skarmory and Forretress on the same team, other than the huge fire weakness.

Eletious
23rd February 2011, 8:12 PM
Is there still a metagame for R/S/E? Epic!

And the team looks nice, I like it.

artbomber_97
24th February 2011, 4:51 AM
Yeah, then I think going with Suicune is a great idea.