PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan my 5th gen team :)

ctccromer
13th March 2011, 11:58 PM
So I'm new to these forums (though Ive been checking the site for years), but I figured, where better to go than Serebii to ask about pokemon stuff? So after fishing around the internet, here's the current plan, but feel free to change anything (but please say why!)

Excadrill
Ability: Sand Rush
Item: Muscle Band
-Sword Dance
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Shadow Claw

Elektross
Ability: Levitate
Item: Leftovers
-Wild Charge
-Crunch
-Coil
-Dragon Claw

Cofagigus
Ability: Mummy
-Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind
-Will-O-Wisp
-Energy Ball

Sigilyph
EVs: Speed and SpAtk
Ability: Magic Guard + holding Life Orb
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Psycho Shock (great cover for pokemon high on the SpDef like Blissey)

Emboar
Ability: Blaze
-Flamethrower
-Brick Breack
-Wild Charge
-Scald

Carracosta
-Shell Smash
-Ice Beam
-Waterfall (Hydro Pump instead if I can)
-Crunch

1. The main goal was to have at least one pokemon to counter every type
2. What are EV's and how do you pick them??
3. How much do natures matter? Ive never bothered with them since it seems like it would take so much longer

And lastly: Is there a REASON Flying isn't super effective to Water? Birds eat fish irl, so I always thought it would work out that way

Thanks in advance!

SazandoraMASTER
14th March 2011, 3:21 AM
EV's are very important in compettive battling, but im gonna be covering up the whole thread explaining it. Natures are also very important for raising stats. You can go here (http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml) to check which stats are being raised and lower if you have a certain Nature. Also, lol at the last reason. Unless you are using Pelipper, sure why not. Anyways:

Id go with X-Scissor instead of Shadow Claw on Excadrill since it has higher BP.

Eelektross looks good.

Id go with Hex instead of Shadow Ball on Cofagrigus.

Replace Psychic with either Flash Cannon (Ice-coverage), Calm Mind (Boosts, or Charge Beam (Coverage and boost) on Sigilyph.

Emboar: @Muscle Band/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)/Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
Ability: Reckless
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Brick Break/Hammer Arm
-Earthquake/Stone Edge
Flare Blitz, Brick Break and Hammer Arm for STAB. Wild Charge for coverage and works great with Reckless. Earthquake and Stone Edge for coverage.

Carracosta: @Leftovers/Muscle Band/Life Orb
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
Ability: Sturdy/Solid Rock
-Shell Smash
-Aqua Jet/Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
SS for great boosts. Aqua Jet for STAB and priority whereas Waterfall is stronger and give flinch. QuakeEdge for coverage.

ctccromer
14th March 2011, 4:04 AM
what is STAB and Coverage? And ive never really used Boosts, so when do you use them, at the beginning of a fight?

Bad_Apple!!
14th March 2011, 4:14 AM
what is STAB and Coverage? And ive never really used Boosts, so when do you use them, at the beginning of a fight?

STAB is Same Type Attack Boost. Meaning Pokémon that use moves that are the same type as them have their base power boosted by 150%, ergo, 1.5 times the normal amout of damage!

Coverage is a term generally meaning a Pokémon's ability to take on multiple types, or at the very least, cover it's weaknesses.

Boosts are very useful, and trust me, in longer fights, they can really make or break a battle.

With Cofagrigus, it's a matter of what kind of battler you are. Generally, thanks to Cofagrigus' ability to take a lot of hits, Hex is a great option. Shadow Ball is a choice if your a bit impatient, but more reliable if you were going for a tank, not a stall.

Sigilyph could also benefit if you gave it a move like Charge Beam, if so you chose. Just something to keep in mind.

For Emboar, you could also consider Scald over Earthquake/Rock Slide.

Shine
14th March 2011, 8:14 AM
when do you use them, at the beginning of a fight?

yes.

Carracosta
Adamant/Impish Nature
~Curse
~Aqua Jet
~Rock Slide/Stone Edge
~Earthquake

Another good Carracosta set.
Instead of sacrificing its great Def & SDef for a sharp Attack boost, SAtk boost (which it absolutely won't need) and Speed boost, this set relies more on Carracostas's tanking capability with Curse raising its Attack and Defense, while lowering Speed. It doesn't care about the Speed drop, since it is already slow to begin with.

ctccromer
16th March 2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks guys :) Im currently using this team now (or working my way there -- only just past the 6th gym)

Now I'm trying to plan a competitive team. No idea if I'll ever be in a tournament but it would be fun, so why not try to make a team? If you want to check it out, here's the thread:
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=12103410#post12103410