PDA

View Full Version : Kill My Last Teammate? Or Revise It?

Smilingsushi
16th March 2011, 3:10 AM
Firstly, I'm past the first E4 (First round with N), but not past the second round. Lately, I've been noticing that one of my pokemon (Zebstrika) is lagging behind the others in terms of effectiveness. I'm not sure if I should change it, or keep it.

I'm looking for a replacement that has a typing that I don't have on my team preferabbly, but I'll maybe accept other pokemon. Also, the rest of my team's movesets aren't set yet, so I wouldn't mind any changes to their sets.

*The new 156 Unova ONLY. I wan't to keep my main team to its region.*

**I don't care about natures during this story mode, as long as it isn't detrimental. Also, I don't IV/EV. Minimal/No breeding is preferred.

***Since I don't have much items (In fact, I have no lifeorb, choice item, and a few others), sets that don't rely too much on an item is preferred.***

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/497.gif
Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)(Incidentily, it has HP Fire >.>)
Ability: Overgrow
-Leaf Blade
-Leech Seed
-Return
-Coil

This is the only pokemon I DONT WANT TO BE CHANGED. I used to think Serperior was horrible until it soloed the dark type (Grimsley) E4 with this set, and most of the fighting type (Marshal).

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/516.gif
Simipur @ Nothing
Ability: Gluttony
Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spd)
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Acrobatics
-Crunch

Surf>Scald, I usually need extra power rather than burns, plus I use it quite often for travel. Ice beam is the only ice typed move on my team. Acrobatics is god, which is why I use no item. Crunch is filler.

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/528.gif
Swoobat @ Nothing
Ability: Klutz
Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spd)
-Air Slash
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Fly

My fly slave/only special attacker. Air Slash and Psychic for STAB. Shadow ball is the only ghost-typed move on my team. Fly is needed for travel. I wish I could have simple as its ability, but whats caught is caught.

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/553.gif
Krookodile @ Blackglasses
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
-Crunch
-EQ
-Rock Slide
-Outrage

This thing can really sweep if Moxie gets going. Crunch and EQ are for STABs. EQ + Rockslide is really good coverage. Outrage is the only dragon-typed move on my team.

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/555.gif
Darmanitan @ Expert Belt (this thing needs life orb)
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Hardy (+Nothing, -Nothing)
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-U-turn
-Rock Slide

Flare Blitz hits everything that doesn't resist it like a precision nuke. Superpower is for a bit more coverage, and 120 Base Power is nice. U-turn is pretty good to rack some damage before switching out to something more suitable to the opponent, and gets rid of the superpower stat cuts. Rock slide is filler, and I really want that replaced with something else, but I'm not sure what.

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/523.gif
Zebstrika @ Scope Lens (not sure why it's there)
Ability: Motor Drive
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
-Wild Charge
-Flame Charge
-Return
-Volt Change

This is the one that's not pulling his weight around (actually, he's not pulling any weight around...at all), despite an adamant nature. If my team got into a fight against each other, Zebstrika would be dead last, or at least close to it.
Wild Charge is for my STAB. Flame Charge is coverage, Return is coverage, and Volt Change is to get some damage off before switching to a better opponent. His moves lack coverage and enough power, plus it's fragile. If the opponent isn't weakened/weak to Wild Charge, Zebstrika faints.

My team needs more special attackers, and more coverage. I lack a lot of move types for attacking, or need more of that type (Ice, Dragon, Bug, and Ghost come off the top of my head).

Any Suggestions?

-Please, NO HAXORUS/HYDREIGON. I don't really like this generation's dragons.
-No Pokemon that needs to be traded to evolve. Trade isn't easily accessible for me (Accelgor is the exception, as I already have one).
-No legendaries, they're kind of cheap for in-game use IMO

Pokemon that stand out at me:
-Accelgor (GTS trade, modest, and lv1 meaning I can EV it.)
-Galvantula (Zebstrika has a better base in every stat except Special Attack, yet this thing has killed Zebstrika many times during a few battle subway runs).
-Klinklang (I love steel types. Plus this thing gets Gear Change).

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
16th March 2011, 3:12 AM
If you want Acrobatics, use Sky Jewel, it gets the boost and uses itself up once you use Acrobatics, and is still calculated as 110 base damage.

Calm Mind over Fly on Swoobat and Darmanitan should have Flare Blitz/Earthquake/Rock Slide/U-Turn or Brick Break.

Smilingsushi
16th March 2011, 3:20 AM
If you want Acrobatics, use Sky Jewel, it gets the boost and uses itself up once you use Acrobatics, and is still calculated as 110 base damage.

Calm Mind over Fly on Swoobat and Darmanitan should have Flare Blitz/Earthquake/Rock Slide/U-Turn or Brick Break.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it wouldn't matter if there was a sky jewel or not? When it's used for the first Acrobatics, it gets 110 base. When it has no item, it still gets 110 base

110 = 110 base power?

Fly has to be kept, I move around with Swoobat.

44Silver4
16th March 2011, 3:25 AM
Firstly, I'm past the first E4 (First round with N), but not past the second round. Lately, I've been noticing that one of my pokemon (Zebstrika) is lagging behind the others in terms of effectiveness. I'm not sure if I should change it, or keep it.

I'm looking for a replacement that has a typing that I don't have on my team preferabbly, but I'll maybe accept other pokemon. Also, the rest of my team's movesets aren't set yet, so I wouldn't mind any changes to their sets.

*The new 156 Unova ONLY. I wan't to keep my main team to its region.*

**I don't care about natures during this story mode, as long as it isn't detrimental. Also, I don't IV/EV. Minimal/No breeding is preferred.

***Since I don't have much items (In fact, I have no lifeorb, choice item, and a few others), sets that don't rely too much on an item is preferred.***

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/497.gif
Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)(Incidentily, it has HP Fire >.>)
Ability: Overgrow
-Leaf Blade
-Leech Seed
-Return
-Coil

This is the only pokemon I DONT WANT TO BE CHANGED. I used to think Serperior was horrible until it soloed the dark type (Grimsley) E4 with this set, and most of the fighting type (Marshal).

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/516.gif
Simipur @ Nothing
Ability: Gluttony
Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spd)
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Acrobatics
-Crunch

Surf>Scald, I usually need extra power rather than burns, plus I use it quite often for travel. Ice beam is the only ice typed move on my team. Acrobatics is god, which is why I use no item. Crunch is filler.

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/528.gif
Swoobat @ Nothing
Ability: Klutz
Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spd)
-Air Slash
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Fly

My fly slave/only special attacker. Air Slash and Psychic for STAB. Shadow ball is the only ghost-typed move on my team. Fly is needed for travel. I wish I could have simple as its ability, but whats caught is caught.

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/553.gif
Krookodile @ Blackglasses
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
-Crunch
-EQ
-Rock Slide
-Outrage

This thing can really sweep if Moxie gets going. Crunch and EQ are for STABs. EQ + Rockslide is really good coverage. Outrage is the only dragon-typed move on my team.

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/555.gif
Darmanitan @ Expert Belt (this thing needs life orb)
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Hardy (+Nothing, -Nothing)
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-U-turn
-Rock Slide

Flare Blitz hits everything that doesn't resist it like a precision nuke. Superpower is for a bit more coverage, and 120 Base Power is nice. U-turn is pretty good to rack some damage before switching out to something more suitable to the opponent, and gets rid of the superpower stat cuts. Rock slide is filler, and I really want that replaced with something else, but I'm not sure what.

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/523.gif
Zebstrika @ Scope Lens (not sure why it's there)
Ability: Motor Drive
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
-Wild Charge
-Flame Charge
-Return
-Volt Change

This is the one that's not pulling his weight around (actually, he's not pulling any weight around...at all), despite an adamant nature. If my team got into a fight against each other, Zebstrika would be dead last, or at least close to it.
Wild Charge is for my STAB. Flame Charge is coverage, Return is coverage, and Volt Change is to get some damage off before switching to a better opponent. His moves lack coverage and enough power, plus it's fragile. If the opponent isn't weakened/weak to Wild Charge, Zebstrika faints.
__________________________________________________ _______________
My team needs more special attackers, and more coverage. I lack a lot of move types for attacking, or need more of that type (Ice, Dragon, Bug, and Ghost come off the top of my head).

Any Suggestions?

-Please, NO HAXORUS/HYDREIGON. I don't really like this generation's dragons.
-No Pokemon that needs to be traded to evolve. Trade isn't easily accessible for me (Accelgor is the exception, as I already have one).
-No legendaries, they're kind of cheap for in-game use IMO

Pokemon that stand out at me:
-Accelgor (GTS trade, modest, and lv1 meaning I can EV it.)
-Galvantula (Zebstrika has a better base in every stat except Special Attack, yet this thing has killed Zebstrika many times during a few battle subway runs).
-Klinklang (I love steel types. Plus this thing gets Gear Change).

i would change Krookodile's outrage to dragon claw due to the after effect being confusion but thats just me

for Zebstrika i have one to and i agree they are kind of weak
but if you train them right they can be great mine is invincible now
but your team is pretty physical so Galvantula might be a good choice

if you want you could change your Simipur's ice beam to a brick break
ice beam does cover grass but acrobatics already does that and brick break can cover ice and its pretty good against dragon i beat the dragon gym using brickbreak

and ya dont use the item cuz you already get 110 attack so

Smilingsushi
16th March 2011, 3:40 AM
i would change Krookodile's outrage to dragon claw due to the after effect being confusion but thats just me

for Zebstrika i have one to and i agree they are kind of weak
but if you train them right they can be great mine is invincible now
but your team is pretty physical so Galvantula might be a good choice

if you want you could change your Simipur's ice beam to a brick break
ice beam does cover grass but acrobatics already does that and brick break can cover ice and its pretty good against dragon i beat the dragon gym using brickbreak

and ya dont use the item cuz you already get 110 attack so

I'll probably change Ice Beam to Focus Blast then, Simi's my mixed.

The biggest problem with Zebstrika is its movepool. It needs better moves to back it up for me, as it already has competition between Darmanitan and Krookodile

Jessie_James
16th March 2011, 2:21 PM
I'd say run Kinklang, haven't seen it pop in many teams yet :)

waternate
16th March 2011, 4:21 PM
my zebstrika has flame charge, thunderbolt, charge, and thunderwave- i mainly use it for paralysis support, given that I use a fairly slow team, and for supereffective hits on water, flying and those that are 4x weak to fire (and only if simisear faints)

Admittedly, Klinklang could probably do most of that and be capable of taking hits...

Dragoniteftw
16th March 2011, 6:41 PM
Galvantula would be a good replacement for zebstrika, Galvantula with compound eyes increasing its accuracy + thunder would be really good, bug buzz would be helpful for dark and psychic, its on the same par as zebstrika stat wise but will contribute alot more, actually I could really see a galvantula working wounders for your team
remember galvantula should use special not physical attacks ;)

other things you can try: (which would help against E4)
Chandelure (great sp.attack even though you already have a fire poke)
Mienshao great speed + physical attack

I originally had a zebstrika and didn't like how it can't take hits and doesn't get much done, I am finding that with bisharp but don't know what to replace him with gr =/

PM me if you find a good replacement, I am also in need of an extra member

Smilingsushi
16th March 2011, 11:21 PM
Just caught a mild Joltik that I'm trying...and it's pretty good. The only problem i have with it is that it has no special bug type moves, and can't learn thunder until it evolves. Really weak right now, but I see potential, being that chargebeam is still powerful for its level.

I ruled out Klinklang, its special movepool and its special stat is horrible, meaning I'll still have too much physicals.

Now its just Accelgor vs. Galvantula. Galvantula has 3 less special attack, and 3 isn't that big of a gap. They're both bug-typed speed demons...hard to decide.

They even have a special moveset almost alike each other- Energy Ball and Bug Buzz paired with status/other types

If I take a Galvantula, it'll be
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball
-???

Please, no thunderwave. My team doesn't need it, and Volt Change won't really do well in my mind either. It's EXTREMELY rare for Zebstrika to need to volt change out, so it isn't any good here.

If I take an Accelgor, it'll be
-Bug Buzz
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball
-???

Still not sure what I can do with it

Dragoniteftw
17th March 2011, 12:18 AM
Just caught a mild Joltik that I'm trying...and it's pretty good. The only problem i have with it is that it has no special bug type moves, and can't learn thunder until it evolves. Really weak right now, but I see potential, being that chargebeam is still powerful for its level.

I ruled out Klinklang, its special movepool and its special stat is horrible, meaning I'll still have too much physicals.

Now its just Accelgor vs. Galvantula. Galvantula has 3 less special attack, and 3 isn't that big of a gap. They're both bug-typed speed demons...hard to decide.

They even have a special moveset almost alike each other- Energy Ball and Bug Buzz paired with status/other types

If I take a Galvantula, it'll be
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball
-???

Please, no thunderwave. My team doesn't need it, and Volt Change won't really do well in my mind either. It's EXTREMELY rare for Zebstrika to need to volt change out, so it isn't any good here.

If I take an Accelgor, it'll be
-Bug Buzz
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball
-???

Still not sure what I can do with it

for those gaps in your moveset, you could fill them with anything and it wouldn't make a difference, I still think galvantula is the beast choice, accelgor won't get as much type coverage with STAB moves (STAB = 50% boost if the move is the same type as the pokemon which is using it)

Smilingsushi
17th March 2011, 12:41 AM
for those gaps in your moveset, you could fill them with anything and it wouldn't make a difference, I still think galvantula is the beast choice, accelgor won't get as much type coverage with STAB moves (STAB = 50% boost if the move is the same type as the pokemon which is using it)

Then what should the last move be? HP requires too much IV counting for in-game use for me... if only Round and Hyper Beam weren't its only normal type moves... a non-attack seems to be the only choice if I don't want another electric attack. Toxic, Protect, or Sub might be good. I have no idea how well any of them will work though. Toxic has synergy with Serperior's Leech Seed, Protect is scouting, and sub is hax protection. Although Galvantula's base hp is only 70. :(

Astral Shadow
17th March 2011, 12:55 AM
Give Galvantula either Thunderwave or Sucker Punch. Thunder Wave is paralysis support. Sucker Punch is for when Galvantula is low on hp.
Zebstrika worked ok for me :)

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
17th March 2011, 1:09 AM
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it wouldn't matter if there was a sky jewel or not? When it's used for the first Acrobatics, it gets 110 base. When it has no item, it still gets 110 base

110 = 110 base power?

Fly has to be kept, I move around with Swoobat.

No, there is both the "No Item boost" and the "Sky Jewel boost".

Smilingsushi
17th March 2011, 1:37 AM
Give Galvantula either Thunderwave or Sucker Punch. Thunder Wave is paralysis support. Sucker Punch is for when Galvantula is low on hp.
Zebstrika worked ok for me :)

Then I'll give it Sucker Punch. Most of my team's fast enough to kill Thunderwave. :)

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
17th March 2011, 1:39 AM
Volt Switch is OK as well.

chanseychansey77
17th March 2011, 1:59 AM
If you still want an electric type, Eelectross is much better, as it has no weaknesses, a good special movepool, better everything except speed.

Smilingsushi
17th March 2011, 3:11 AM
If you still want an electric type, Eelectross is much better, as it has no weaknesses, a good special movepool, better everything except speed.

Eelectross's abysmal speed turns me off :o

AceMasterPokemon
17th March 2011, 3:15 AM
I say switch out for either a Eelektross or a Denchura(Japanese name).

Zaindix
17th March 2011, 4:32 AM
My opinion is to replace it with something else, a little more like... Throh or Sawk ( I perfer Throh) Great attack, better Hp, and I beat the entire ground gym with a level 20 one.

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
17th March 2011, 5:15 AM
^ But he has beaten the main story?

Smilingsushi
17th March 2011, 10:28 PM
My opinion is to replace it with something else, a little more like... Throh or Sawk ( I perfer Throh) Great attack, better Hp, and I beat the entire ground gym with a level 20 one.

Yeah, I have beaten the main game. It said so in the first paragraph too... >.>

I also said that I'm pretty lacking in the Special Category, Sawk + Throh are physical.

Galvantula would be a good replacement for zebstrika, Galvantula with compound eyes increasing its accuracy + thunder would be really good, bug buzz would be helpful for dark and psychic, its on the same par as zebstrika stat wise but will contribute alot more, actually I could really see a galvantula working wounders for your team
remember galvantula should use special not physical attacks ;)

other things you can try: (which would help against E4)
Chandelure (great sp.attack even though you already have a fire poke)
Mienshao great speed + physical attack

I originally had a zebstrika and didn't like how it can't take hits and doesn't get much done, I am finding that with bisharp but don't know what to replace him with gr =/

PM me if you find a good replacement, I am also in need of an extra member

I tried Galvantula. It was weak as HELL until Signal Beam. Now it can compete with my other members somewhat...which is good considering it's around 15 levels underleved compared to everyone else.
I went with sucker punch as a last move. It makes a great revenge killer if I can't outspeed something. Decent atk :)

bolter1
17th March 2011, 10:49 PM
I would personally change it for Tynamo and its evolutions as they have good stats and some pretty strong electric attacks IMO

Astral Shadow
17th March 2011, 10:55 PM
Tynamo can be hard to train and only Eelektrik learns moves leveling up.

Smilingsushi
17th March 2011, 10:57 PM
Tynamo can be hard to train and only Eelektrik learns moves leveling up.

Eelectross's abysmal speed turns me off :o

. . .

On another note, I'm having trouble thinking of an item for Galvantula. It's currently using a lucky egg/exp share to speed level, but I need to find an item that suits it. Magnet isn't that good, I use bug buzz just as much as thunder. I'd also prefer to stay away from life orb/choice when I get those items.

Btw, does macho brace still half my Swoobat's speed if I use it? (Klutz ability)

Astral Shadow
17th March 2011, 11:01 PM
^Wiseglasses? It raises damage done by your Galvantula's special moves.