PDA

View Full Version : Official Shonen Jump Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Brinstar
5th January 2005, 7:48 AM
I've noticed that alot of threads about Shonen Jump are scattered here and there, so I've made a nice big one to organize a bit. Discuss the latest Shonen Jump news, issues, and manga here. ^^

Kokukirin
7th January 2005, 8:25 AM
Got some free time here, I guess I will start with a general overview of the mangas on Jump that I read. Since I am reading the translations from latest issue of Jump in Japan, some mangas I comment on may not be on Shonen Jump in North America...

1. Hunter x Hunter

The artist of HxH is one of my favorites. I must say he is one of the most talented and creative artists ever. The artwork is relatively simple (compared to CLAMP), but solid and well drawn. After Yu Yu Hakusho and Level E, his godly status remains unchallenged despite his laziness. Anyways, back to HxH. The style of HxH is quite close to late part of YYH. Again, there is no real distinction between good and evil. Characters are well designed and...most of them are weird (not the look). The story links together very well from Hunter exam to Greed Island. However, after GI, the quality seems to go down due to artist's laziness...Most drawings are now rough drafts, and the story isnt as good as before...sigh.

2. Onepiece

No depth to speak of. Just simple fights, brainless characters, and lots of humor. But because it is simple, people can enjoy it a lot...Personally I am not a fan of this type of manga, and it is dragging on too long without a sign of ending.

3. Naruto

Some people think it copies Hunter x Hunter in some ways, and I do think they are quite similar in terms of story, copying or not. The style though, is closer to Onepiece. Again, the main character has no brain and lots of potential. Like OP, it is dragging on as well. Cmon, every random newbie's fight can last 6 weeks or so, and the fight isn't even important to the story. IMO Overated.

4. Prince of Tennis

Lots of pretty boys. No story. No development. Crap artwork. The end of review.

5. Death Note

This one is my current favorite. It is drawn by the artist of Hikaru No Go, so you can't really complain about artworks. Story is intense from the beginning, and remains so till now. This manga does not feature actions and flashbacks (coughNarutocoughOnepiececough), but features the brain war between two inhuman geniuses, plus LOTS of conversations. The story is unpredictable, and to be honest, I haven't predicted the following week's story correctly. Highly recommended.

6. WaqWaq

This one is new, and this is THE manga that kicked off Shaman King from Jump. I dont think anyone here is familiar with the artist Ryu Fujisaki, the artist of Houshin Engi. (Houshin Engi is classic, so read it now.) I had high expectation of this manga, but there is nothing surprisingly good so far. Just a so-so manga for now.

7. Bleach

I only just started reading, not bad so far...Not much to say for now.

[/bias]

BudokaiG
7th January 2005, 3:23 PM
A new Shonen Jump called "Shonen Jump Advanced" will be released, and it will include "Eyeshield 21", "Hunter x Hunter", and "I's". The first issue should ship April, 2005, and will cost about $7.99. The magazine is rated T+...
About Shonen Jump, then i don't think i like it anymore. The selection of manga is great, but skiping ahead and censoring some manga sucks! Also let's not forget the comercials about buying GNs. Instead of making the magazine, they should just do GNs.
Dragon Ball Z - 10/10 - My favorite
Yu-Gi-Oh! - 10/10 - GREAT!!!!! Shares 1st favorite place with Dragon Ball Z.
One Piece - 10/10 - My 2nd favorite. The art is great, and quite many "laugh-out-loud" moments.
Naruto - 8/10 - Right now 8/10, but might change to 10/10 in the future...
Shaman King - 8/10 - Like Naruto, it might get better in the future!
Hikaru No Go - 6/10 - I just don't like manga about a boardgame.

Mimori Kiryu
7th January 2005, 9:03 PM
I'm subscribed to Shonen Jump. If I don't get it...I miss my manga installment. Here's my rates to each issue:

Dragonball Z: 9/10
Yu-Gi-Oh!: 10/10
One Piece: 8/10
Hikaru No Go: 9/10
Yu Yu Hakusho: 10/10
Naruto: 8/10

Is that all of them? I think it is...I'm at school so it's hard for me to remember...

MachopGirl
9th January 2005, 10:05 PM
I've seen the original Japanese Shonen Jump and there are some of the weirdest manga series in there. Thankfully, there isn't any plans to bring them over here anytime soon.

Here's two of them I know of:

Tarchan: You've guessed it. This manga is based on our infamous King of the Jungle himself, but the stories are strange and perverted. Why it's not likely to be brought here? It's because of the perverted jokes and I find it hard to believe that the artist even drew the umm... male anatomy... on the animals. Published way back in 1992-1993.

Bobobo Boobobobo: The story involves a hero with an afro who is out to stop an evil organization that is trying to rid the world of hair. Our hero mastered the technique of hair-fu, which even included attacking enemies with his ummm... elongated nose hairs. (Really!! I kid you not!!) Due to its weird stories and perverted fart jokes, it's not surprising that there's no plan to bring it here. Currently running in Japan.

Brinstar
15th January 2005, 7:00 PM
Bobo is one of the funniest manga I've seen. It will probably hit US at some point as it is somewhat popular, (in both Japan and US)

Phantom Ninja
15th January 2005, 7:08 PM
I live in england we dont get it but i got lots of them

Runé
17th January 2005, 5:20 AM
I subscribe to Shonen Jump and IMO my ratings for the mangas are:

Shaman King: 10/10 - Its a very good manga.
Yu-Gi-Oh!: 7/10 - I dont really like that much but it's ok.
Naruto: 7/10 - I use to read it and now I'm bored of it but it's alright.
Bleach: 9/10 - One of my favorites.
Dragon Ball Z: 6/10 - Its an good manga but it's generaly not my type.
Hikaru No Go: 6/10 - Kind of a weird manga but it's O.K.
Yu Yu Hakasho: 1/10 - I read it and I just hated it......
One Piece: 9/10 - One Piece is a pretty good manga IMO.

If I'm forgeting some, than I've probably never read them before.

BTW, anyone know a place where I could find Shaman King graphic novels other than viz.com?

Kokukirin
17th January 2005, 5:34 AM
Yu Yu Hakasho: 1/10 - I read it and I just hated it......

Its really hard to imagine other mangas you ranked getting so higher a score than YYH. If you stopped reading YYH at early stage, you are missing LOTS of stuff. The beginning part of YYH is a bit too ordinary, and the artwork hasnt matured yet. However, at about vol 4, things get a lot more exciting and enjoyable. Personally I think the part where Hiei slashed the guy (forgot his name) in 16 pieces (I think) is the turning point of the story.

Honestly, the only manga comparable to YYH in the list of manga you rated is Hikaru no go (in terms of popularity) and Dragon Ball (in terms of status in manga world). But IMO YYH are better than both.

Eon Chao
17th January 2005, 9:34 AM
Well seeing as I live in the UK and I am a month behind you all, and considering I'm now at uni so that my brother has to go collect my new issues of SJ from our local comic shop, I'm a tad annoyed. Ok the Manga currently running in Jump in my order of preferance:
1. Shaman King (what can I say I just love the cast, the story and the art.
2. Hikaru No Go (I have to say if it weren't for the fact that I'm further into Shaman King due it starting in SJ many months before Hikaru No Go this would probably be my number one. This is possibly the best manga I've ever read and is a welcome break to all the violence)
3. Naruto (I wasn't a great fan of Naruto from the get go but I just got really into after a few months and now its got to the point where I care about the cast and want to know what happens to them)
4. One Piece (Its a no brainer. I can sit down and read it for what it is and have no concern about any intelectual side of it. Its the sort of thing i'll read when I'm tired or fed up with work)
5. YYH (Stories great, Characters great, Art style great, just not taken my intrest as much as the others. I can understand why many rate it but it just hasn't really captivated me like the top 3)
6. DBZ (The first Manga I ever read was DragonBall so this will always have a special place in my heart which pushers it above...)
7. Yu-Gi-Oh (Let me be frank about this cover hog. I like Yu-gi-oh. I enjoy it. I play the cards and watch the anime when i'm not at Uni but it's over done. I mean it gets more coverage than most other manga. All it does is get publicity whilst better series are ignored. And why you ask. Because Yu-gi-oh gets all the little kids to buy SJ. I mean he wasn't even in issue 25 but he was still on the cover. And also they've skipped Duelist Kingdom and Battle City. I've read everything before those now and unfortunatly I've read everything from the Battle City Finals onwards. <I've also read the first few chapters of Yu-gi-oh R as well> Now we have to buy GNs to see Bandit Keith shoot himself in the head)

Phantom Ninja
20th January 2005, 7:43 PM
The yu-gi-oh i like was the digital pets 1

has any read v-jump

Juputoru
5th February 2005, 1:18 PM
Comments on this month's Shounen Jump:

Preview of some manga I forgot the name of:
-Football? Bleh.
-Sadly, it DOES look interesting despite my hatred of football...

Naruto:
-They're FINALLY telling us the JP names for the attacks. Sure, the English versions still suck(see below), but at least the Japanese version is mentioned.
-Shikamaru's Kage Mane no Jutsu(Shadow Freeze Technique, or something like that) is now...The Art of Me-and-my-Shadow? Wha? And Chouji's Meat Tank is now Human Juggernaut? I guess that's somewhat better than what they could have renamed it....
-"Billboard brow"? Eh, it sounds stupid enough to be a kid's taunt. I can live with that.

Hikaru no Go:
-Sai doesn't know what a computer is. Makes sense, I guess.
-Go on the web? Meaning Sai can play as much go as he wants? That could be dangerous ;)

One Piece:
-Yawn. This arc is kinda boring. Must...wait...for...Arlong Arc...
-The flashbacks are still awesome, though.

Shaman King:
-Ren hates his family. Knew that :P
-Ren VS Yoh...again!

Yuyu Hakusho:
-Yusuke FINALLY woke up!
-It's not that I don't like some of these. I actually do, but there's less to comment on when you've seen them in the anime before.

Yugioh:
-Ah, so Bakura DOES have an alterior motive for being so friendly to Yami Yugi...
-O_o Damn, that weirdo who was a human safe weirded me out...
-I forgot that Anzu was the only one who had seen the slab...thing...before.

DBZ:
-Yawn. I don't really read this anymore, there's too much fighting.

Solid Kirby
6th February 2005, 7:09 PM
-Football? Bleh.

Eyeshield 21? Yeah, I was never much for football, either, but I think I might pick up a GN of that. Y'know, It might be an interesting read.

Icicle Pikachu
9th February 2005, 2:49 AM
I love Shonen Jump! I have 2 issues, and 2 Shaman King volumes, 3 and 4.
I guess I'll rate too:
Shaman King 10/10 MY FAVORITE
Yu-Gi-Oh! 9/10 runner up for favorite.
DragonBallZ 9/10 Action filled, cool.
One Piece 6/10 It's cool, lots of funny things in it.
Yu Yu Hakusho: 7/10 It's good also.
Naruto 3/10 Not one I like
Hikaru No Go: dont read it :P

Ryusuke Hikari
10th February 2005, 5:26 AM
I don't read Shonen Jump much because I don't go to stores much but I got this month's issue so here's what I think

Shaman King-9/10
Yu-Gi-Oh! Memory World-10/10 (better than the other two sagas)
Dragon Ball Z-8/10 Great action, but it seems to hide the story.
One Piece-10/10
Yu Yu Hakasho-8/10 It can get boring after awhile, but it has a good story.
Naruto-7/10 Good plot, a dragging story, and several long fights.
Hikaru No Go-6/10 Now, this is kinda like Yu-Gi-Oh combined with some plot-less manga.

P-fan
10th February 2005, 3:22 PM
Hikaru No Go-6/10 Now, this is kinda like Yu-Gi-Oh combined with some plot-less manga.

How is it like Yu-gi-oh, they're playing go, I'm even interested in playing Go, Aim for reader for into boardgames.

Hao Kaiser
17th February 2005, 2:06 AM
Wow, I just got Aprils issue out of the mail.....anyways, it turns out that there taking DBZ out of SJ after the Cell saga, so this months is the last....I also got a free SK card....Oh, a preview of HunterXHunter is in here as well....

How is it like Yu-gi-oh, they're playing go
Eh, Yu-Gi-OH is really just a hyped up manga about a bunch of High-Schoolers playing Cards.....the point is there basicly just normal games, but with fantasy elements thrown in....

That Scary Clefairy
17th February 2005, 3:06 AM
Eyeshield 21? Yeah, I was never much for football, either, but I think I might pick up a GN of that. Y'know, It might be an interesting read.

It Kinda funny seeing Japanese playing football because in Japan, there is no football.

Koneko
21st February 2005, 5:02 AM
my personal prefrence
1.shaman king (love it just love it)
2.naruto (ooo ninjas too cool)
3.hikaru no go (I play go sometimes)
4.one piece (I like sanji ^-^)
5.yu yu hakusho (I've seen most ofit in anime form)
6.yu-gi-oh (they skiped battel city)
7. DBZ (I don't read it I just don't)

Solid Kirby
21st February 2005, 6:27 AM
It Kinda funny seeing Japanese playing football because in Japan, there is no football.
What's more Ironic is that Baseball's supposed to be America's Sport, But Japan is much more into It. XD

Yuugis Black Magician
21st February 2005, 3:23 PM
Hey guys, I've got my April 2005 issue, what about you?

How is it like Yu-gi-oh, they're playing go, I'm even interested in playing Go, Aim for reader for into boardgames.

Yuugiou! The Manga is the 38 volume story of high schooler Yuugi Mutou who used to get bullied around a lot until he earned the respect of Jounouchi and Honda, the bulleys, now they are friends. In later volumes Yuugi's Grandpas soul gets placed in a video camera so Yuugi goes to Duelist Kingdom to win a rematch against the one who put him there, American 24 year old billionair Pegasus J. Crawford, after prevailing so much in the tournament, Yuugi is crowned Yuugiou! King of Games. (I'm sure you already know abuut Yuugi's dark half he got when he completed the Sennen Puzzle right?) Anywho, now that Yami no Yuugi and Yuugi are on full speaking grounds, the two seem to like each other, but this is where things get nasty, after escaping his mental situation Seto Kaiba, one of them ost powerful duelist ever, wants his rematch with Yuugi, but first he gets a call from an unexpected person.... (This is another cheap summary from the weird man YBM...)

Comments on this month's Shounen Jump:

-Football? Bleh.

Naruto:
-They're FINALLY telling us the JP names for the attacks. Sure, the English versions still suck(see below), but at least the Japanese version is mentioned.
-Shikamaru's Kage Mane no Jutsu(Shadow Freeze Technique, or something like that) is now...The Art of Me-and-my-Shadow? Wha? And Chouji's Meat Tank is now Human Juggernaut? I guess that's somewhat better than what they could have renamed it....
-"Billboard brow"? Eh, it sounds stupid enough to be a kid's taunt. I can live with that.

Hikaru no Go:
-Sai doesn't know what a computer is. Makes sense, I guess.
-Go on the web? Meaning Sai can play as much go as he wants? That could be dangerous

One Piece:
-Yawn. This arc is kinda boring. Must...wait...for...Arlong Arc...
-The flashbacks are still awesome, though.

Shaman King:
-Ren hates his family. Knew that :P
-Ren VS Yoh...again!

Yuyu Hakusho:
-Yusuke FINALLY woke up!
-It's not that I don't like some of these. I actually do, but there's less to comment on when you've seen them in the anime before.

Yugioh:
-Ah, so Bakura DOES have an alterior motive for being so friendly to Yami Yugi...
-O_o Damn, that weirdo who was a human safe weirded me out...
-I forgot that Anzu was the only one who had seen the slab...thing...before.

DBZ:
-Yawn. I don't really read this anymore, there's too much fighting.

-_-

Naruto: Sheesh, have you ever heard of Carrying Capacity? Those pages, although large, don't always have room for the JNP and ENG translations, think resonably, also, not everyone who likes Nauto enough to read it is a freakin' rapid fan boy, that is why they do their best to translate, and personally if they are the ones with the papers saying that they know Japenese, then MAYBE YOU'RE the wrong ONE. What do you think of that? And who cares if Naruto-kun finally awoke? They've been doing CD on Sakura, Sasuke and Lee and Ino, sheesh....

Hikaru no Go: Just as great a manga as YGO, fun, action-packet like compact meat, and educational in the art of Go, and teenage life, personally this should go into Shojo Beat if it is so, what's the word I looking for? Light.... ah who cares, spped up HnG!!

One P.: Interesting enough for my tastes, the fights are cool and Sanji himself is the true definition of being human, he knows where his priorities are too...

Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Yuusuke's only been out for a few chapters not very long if you ask me...also, sense I never saw the middle of the Black Tournament anyone wanna tell me what happened to Yuusuke's Reigun?

Shaman King: Alright! First off, as far as I know Yoh and Ren only have had two fights so far, so don't go saying "again" sense it's only their second fight, sheesh..

Eh, Yu-Gi-OH is really just a hyped up manga about a bunch of High-Schoolers playing Cards.....the point is there basicly just normal games, but with fantasy elements thrown in....

Wrong, it's about friendship, trust, and proving something to yourself and to the world (Jounouchi really nedds his own manga).

Hao Kaiser
21st February 2005, 11:49 PM
Wrong, it's about friendship, trust, and proving something to yourself and to the world (Jounouchi really nedds his own manga).

Yes, but centered around board and card games. Sure, there are other elements thrown in (like what you just metioned) but when you get down to it, Im sure that kids dont like the anime for what you metioned....they like it for the....uh.....card oriented action? I dunno, I'll stop talking now...

Ichijin
22nd February 2005, 1:40 AM
Hey.... don't hate on Eye Shield 21 (or sports manga in general). They (with the exception of Prince of Tennis) usually feature great characters, character development and story. Also, don't rely too much on Viz's translation of ES21- the quarterback Hiruma is a massive foulmouth, so I'm willing to bet it'll be censored (the preview in SJ had his "f words" replaced by "darn").

Kokukirin
22nd February 2005, 2:56 AM
YGO is overrated.

The only thing that interests me in YGO is the strategies in the game. The rest are merely ok, except character design, which sucks.

Yuugis Black Magician
22nd February 2005, 3:21 AM
Yuugiou! from what I heard used to be underrate from what I heard. Besides, whats wrong with liking YGO, it's a great Manga and Animé, but that's if you're into Action, friendship, gaming, and finding yourself (a little theme that actually fits both Atemu and Jounochi).

Do you expect a T rated Manga magizine would have the f word in it? Besides, usually when Manga and Animé is "fansubbed" or unofficialy translated, those who translate it usually muck with the words, like adding the f word and lot, and the s word, besides they could mean crap and freak too, just the same with dang and darn and ****, heck could also be translated ****, but that's just me, I'm not even in JNP, I'm only in Middle School, I'll take it next year and all, but from what little I know, well... you get it...

Kokukirin
22nd February 2005, 7:14 AM
Yuugiou! from what I heard used to be underrate from what I heard. Besides, whats wrong with liking YGO, it's a great Manga and Animé, but that's if you're into Action, friendship, gaming, and finding yourself (a little theme that actually fits both Atemu and Jounochi).

Do you expect a T rated Manga magizine would have the f word in it? Besides, usually when Manga and Animé is "fansubbed" or unofficialy translated, those who translate it usually muck with the words, like adding the f word and lot, and the s word, besides they could mean crap and freak too, just the same with dang and darn and ****, heck could also be translated ****, but that's just me, I'm not even in JNP, I'm only in Middle School, I'll take it next year and all, but from what little I know, well... you get it...
Hi more assumptions please.

Did I say that it is wrong to like YGO? All I said is YGO is overrated. Also, I like manga with or without actions.

Should I give you a list of manga that has better actions? YYH, Hunter x Hunter, Onepiece, Naruto, Gundam, Berserk, Gunnm, Rurouni Kenshin, Bleach, Zombie Powder, Houshin Engi, Vagabond, Hellsing, X, Tokyo Babylon, RG Veda, Tsubasa...

YGO does not feature friendship. In fact, I do not find the friendship part outstanding at all.

The "finding yourself" part doesn't fit at all.

Like I said, the gaming part is the only interesting thing in YGO.

Slaking Master
22nd February 2005, 3:30 PM
Guys, I got a January issue of Shonen Jump and decided to suscribe on January. What issues will I have? Will I have the February issue or will they skip the February issue and give me the March issue? I hope they don't skip the February issue!

Misty is my love
22nd February 2005, 3:33 PM
i am just wondering has anyone ever won those prizes in the shonen jump. as a subscriber i love shonen jumps news about things about tcg and new tcgs. i have been a subscriber since issue 1

Yuugis Black Magician
22nd February 2005, 3:59 PM
Friendship, although not showcased is, according to the CREATOR is basiclly one of the main themes from what I've read, correct me if I'm mistaken. Adn I know that their are better ACTION Manga out their. Also I wasn't trying to piss you off with the whole overrated thing, I was merely pointing out what I got off of the Manga (as in with vibes). The reason I said finding yourself is because for thirty volumes (volume 8 being the estimated volume for when he became awhere) Yami no Yuugi, or Atemu, didn't know who the heck he was, and for all of Battle City he was shearching for answers and during the early half of of the Memory story arc. Also, I'm not doubting that you ever heard, but have you not hear Jounouchi say, he won't except the REBD from Yuugi because he wants to earn it back properly in a duel? Where he CAN PROVE he is a REAL duelist, that is his whole blasted goal for Battle City, maybe it's just because I'm a purit when it comes to YGO, but those two stories kind of remind me of "finding yourself" the only thing I'm guilty of is not being discriptive in said post.

The reason the gaming party is the only intresting part is because Kaz-san never shed light on to many other aspects...

Kokukirin
22nd February 2005, 9:02 PM
The "finding yourself" part does not make the manga anything good, it is merely part of the story.

drTomoe123
22nd February 2005, 11:23 PM
I read part of mine tonight, and I was unhappy to see the one sentence summary of the next volume of RuroKen, but hey, I won't be happy unless the entire issue was about Rurouni Kenshin. :P

Anyway, I also saw that I"s will be released in April. Yessss.

Chris
23rd February 2005, 6:26 PM
Dragon Ball is no longer a part of Shonen Jump. Now they're putting it into graphic novels only, which leads me to believe even more they're simply trying to force people to get the novels. --; First they skip two arcs for YGO and make them novel-only, and now they've finished the Cell saga and are making the Buu saga novel-only. >_o

Dr. Slump starts next month, but it's a damn preview only. So that means they're putting it into GN-format. Hunter x Hunter was shown this month, but will not be kept.
---------------------
It also saddens me that they ruined the complete feel of Gaara in Naruto. :\

"Anyone who crosses me..is dead meat."

To which his comrade replies with "I hate it when he gets like this...he's so creepy!!"

Sorry, but I prefer the original "I'll kill you" line over "dead meat." It certainly doesn't match Gaara and telling someone they're going to be dead meat is rather childish and ain't at all creepy. x_X
--------------------
Back onto Dragon Ball, they've gone with the common misspelling of Majin Buu's name by going with "Boo." It's already been shown by several non-Bandai merchandise that it's "Buu" and not "Boo." Bigger pet peeve is the fact that they keep the name "Hercule." They fully acknowledge his name is Mr. Satan in the Character Bio page, yet they refuse to keep the name for no specific reason whatsoever. Last I recall, this whole damn magazine wasn't meant for kids and it seems like they're slowly making it for them. :\

Then of course, Imperfect Cell vs Super Saiyajin Trunks. Cell's got one of the worst lines I've read in the SJ edition. "YOU THINK YOU'RE HOT?!! THEN TRY THIS!!!" Almost as bad as Super Saiyajin 2 Gohan's "Whoopie." replacing his "I'm not impressed.." line.

Just these things alone make me believe that Viz is slowly converting Shonen Jump into a bunch of manga based off of their dub anime counterparts. Seriously, whatever happened to actually TRANSLATING rather than writing up your own lines? It annoys the hell outta me that they're going ahead and writing up lines that weren't originally there and making it seem like something kiddies would enjoy reading. Really bugs the hell outta me that they're also trying to force people to buy their novels by taking out portions and making them available only through there. Bad enough they advertise, telling people to buy them ON EVERY OTHER PAGE. x_X

BudokaiG
24th February 2005, 3:40 PM
Yeah that just makes me mad! That's like Sweden now. They made their own SJ magazine, and they'll not finish ANY manga there. It's more like a "preview" magazine for people who don't know what manga to buy...

Riaf
11th March 2005, 3:42 AM
It also saddens me that they ruined the complete feel of Gaara in Naruto. :\

"Anyone who crosses me..is dead meat."

To which his comrade replies with "I hate it when he gets like this...he's so creepy!!"

Sorry, but I prefer the original "I'll kill you" line over "dead meat." It certainly doesn't match Gaara and telling someone they're going to be dead meat is rather childish and ain't at all creepy. x_X

Oh yes, altering one precious line will kill our beloved series. >_>

Though his original line does seem a better choice, it doesn't make a big of a deal.

Chill out Edward, because Viz has not completely screwed themself over yet.

DarkAngel
23rd March 2005, 12:18 AM
i really like SHONEN JUMP, I really like Hikarunogo, Yu-gi-oh, Shamanking and Onepiece. i bought every issue but i missed the issue from october-december cause it took a vacation in P.I. from october then we move here on cali and i can't find the magazine that time so i missed those issues.

Yuugis Black Magician
23rd March 2005, 12:40 AM
I've gotten my May 2005 issue. The Dr. Slump preview seemed to follow the fansubs I read somewhere on the net. Hikaru no Go was SWEET this month as Sai battled Akira on the internet (twice I think) and Akira quite both times. But during the battle when Hikaru asked Sai if Akira had gotten better Sai realized, it was he who was a better player then ever (SWEET!!!) and Akira saw this too, at first he thought he was fighting the mighty Hikaru, but then he noticed something different.

One Piece was great too, espicially when Gin broke down and couldn't bring himself to kill Sanji. Krieg turned on Gin and fired another poisonous cannon ball, but Gin gave a mask to Luffy and one to Sanji, he inhaled the poison willingly to save Sanji, after so, Gin was taken to get fresh air via Patty and his fellwo cook, while Luffy unleashed his rage on Krieg...

Also, in YYH Yuusuke found out he burned out his aura and can't use the Reigun anymore, while the gang got ready for the next match, each team though was missing two members, so they decided on a three on three royal. Things looked grim for Team Uramishi....

As for Shaman King, Tao Ren and Yoh began their third battle with a big bang, as more is revealed about Mana, and Ren even shows off his ways of using his Over Soul, like making a Bason rocket, and a upper body with an arm! But still Yoh fought back, in the process he lost a lot of his Over Soul, but reformed it at the cost of soem Mana...

Also, Naruto was great this month with will Gaara's sand coffin...heh heh, lots o' blood.....

Also, in Yuugiou! Theif King Bakura began a battle with Seto, proving Diabound was a more powerful then Seto imagined. Also Babosa sent the gang (minus Bakura) into the Dark Yuugi's Soul Maze. The mission: find the door to his memories.....

Next issue, Sasuke must do battle with the Rain ninja. Ren's power grows, the six Preists find Diabound's power greater then expected, Luffy begins the final battle with Krieg and much more.......

Chaos_Angel
24th March 2005, 9:53 PM
I completely hate Shonen Jump and Viz in general. They managed to completly mangle Yuugi-oh (which is hard to make it any worse) and completely destroyed Angel Sanctuary and X, which are some of the most beautiful manga to be made. It saddened me when I found out they got Hikaru no Go and Fullmetal Alchemist, which are very good series'. Because of Viz, I turned to scantalations to get the delicious manga that I need. I hope Viz is happy.

Riaf
24th March 2005, 11:57 PM
First of all, if you hate Shonen Jump in general, then you hate Yugioh and Hikaru No Go, considering Shonen Jump's a Japanese magazine.

Second, how did they "completely mangle" "Yuugi-oh"? They only skipped a few volumes.
Though I can't talk about Angel Sanctuary or X because I know what the hell they are, you need to chill. Though Viz sucks, they have yet to "completely" ruin anything.

That Scary Clefairy
25th March 2005, 1:26 AM
i don't see anything wrong with Angel Sanctuary as far as i know from my books and from what people have said on the other forums. And with X/1999, All that i can see that different is that it from left to right. I wouldn't worry about that too much because Viz at some point will got to an second edition where it go right to left. and that what i'm waiting for.

P-fan
25th March 2005, 1:35 AM
How did the skip the volumes.

seven graphic novel was release and they started the Duelest chapter. Three are release so far. Shonen Jump is during the Millenun World story.

DBZ is now leaving Shonen Jump, but the rest of the story will continue in graphic novels

Professor Ivy
12th April 2005, 3:11 PM
I love the new YuGiOh: Millennium World
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/PrettyDarkMagicianGirl/PharaohAtemAtemu/11.jpg

HK
12th April 2005, 9:14 PM
Huh, funny; whenever someone rants about Viz screwing up a manga somewhat (For me, it is mainly Naruto) Dogasu (Or somebody... >>;) is there to jump on there *** about it. He/she says that they ***** about it, and that we shouldn't expect them to do a full translation of it. My only question is though, how the hell can they not do that while in turn we get manga scanlations that obviously are able to fit the original (Or pretty damn close to the original) translations of the lines onto them? Meh, just a thought.

I used to absolutely love Shonen Jump in the US... then I became a bit suspicious about them because somehow it just didn't seem fitting to what the characters said (This has occured a lot in the monthly manga that they put out). Then I went on the internet, and bam, I found out that they muck around with the manga translations. While that doesn't bother me as much, it just shows either:

A) They are too damn lazy to actually put out a truly good translation of manga because they are *supposedly* one of the best over here in the US. -.-

B) They think that kids aren't aware that 'Journeyman' doesn't quite fit the bill; I think that the ones reading the manga can realize that Chuunin is obviously higher than Naruto's rank and lower than Kakashi's. Oh, and don't get my started on 'The Art of the Valentine'. -.-

Seriously, to anyone who says that I am just another fanboy who is moaning and *****ing about how Shonen Jump can't fit the manga, then listen to this and shut up. Viz is clearly capable of putting out excellent translations of the mangas out there (Rurouni Kenshin is very obvious choice for that; also, notice how it is the best selling manga here in the US from Shonen Jump and they release it reguarly with one of the best translations out there. Notice any correlation there?), but instead they try to 'Americanize' it and great mangas that people want out faster they simply delay (Naruto, One Piece, etc.) and will more than likely never catch up with the manga until we are too old enough to care about it.

I like it that someone mentioned (Sorry, forgot who :p) that Shonen Jump/Viz should just put out graphic novels. IMO, that would be a good idea, but I think I might like it better if they simply just either released one new chapter a week (Kinda' like how it is in Japan, would make a helluva lot more sense) or else just release a minimum of three chapters a month. Yes, a lot of dead trees and crap, but no worse than what could also happen.

I think I'm done ranting. Anybody who still thinks that I'm an a-hole, please feel free to state so.

Riaf
13th April 2005, 2:49 PM
Kay, you're an a-hole. But seriously, people complain that Viz sucks because they don't keep the original names. Sure there's "The Art of Valintine" but it won't really destroy anything for you.

Cap D. Blue
20th April 2005, 5:51 PM
I love the irony in "Hikaru No Go" (Volume 3, Issue 6, Number 30) where Hikaru is visiting the Shonen Jump webpage. ;371;

Korobooshi Kojiro
20th April 2005, 7:04 PM
I think that was in the original.....but it was pretty funny nonethless.

At least Shonen Jump doesn't edit any pictures, except maybe the I's thing.

poke manga artiset
23rd April 2005, 2:01 AM
pfft,i thought it was saposed to be origanal and unedited.
what was edit in I's?

Rex Kamex
4th May 2005, 2:20 AM
Yeah, the #30 issue says that some of the preview was edited from the original Japanese version (most likely with some of the swimsuits).

EDIT: I doubt that's the same with the graphic novel, though.

drTomoe123
6th May 2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah, the #30 issue says that some of the preview was edited from the original Japanese version (most likely with some of the swimsuits).

EDIT: I doubt that's the same with the graphic novel, though.

In the Shonen Jump preview of I"s, sound effects were placed over one of the last scenes where it shows the Ichitaka about to grab Iori's butt.

There was an even worse edit in the actual GN, a set of nipples being replaced with two stars, which has caused me to boycott the title. When Viz licensed I"s, they sent it to the Shonen Jump Advanced line, which was presumably for teenagers, and they still edited it anyway, while Video Girl Ai kept the similar scenes.

Rex Kamex
7th May 2005, 3:27 PM
Well, it wouldn't really be surprising that at least Shonen Jump got I"s edited, since it's only for younger teens. I was still surprised with the graphic novel though, but I don't really care that much. (It's not like I'm gonna get it or anything.)

Chris
7th May 2005, 6:07 PM
It's funny how Shonen Jump used to be just about perfect when it first started up. They were a teen focused magazine. Now they seem to be focusing more on the younger kids when clearly alot of the manga aren't intended for children (such as I"s and early Yu-Gi-Oh!). This is reminding me too much of when Dragon Ball first began to get censored. People complained to change it back to being uncensored and Viz went ahead and slapped a "13 and Up" sticker on each book. Why can't they do this? :| It's bad enough some of the edits are carrying over to the graphic novels (so much for hoping Mr. Satan would keep his original name rather than Hercule in the GN, despite Viz clearly stating that his original name in Japan is Mr. Satan).

Sasuke
7th May 2005, 8:33 PM
In the Shonen Jump preview of I"s, sound effects were placed over one of the last scenes where it shows the Ichitaka about to grab Iori's butt.

There was an even worse edit in the actual GN, a set of s being replaced with two stars, which has caused me to boycott the title. When Viz licensed I"s, they sent it to the Shonen Jump Advanced line, which was presumably for teenagers, and they still edited it anyway, while Video Ai kept the similar scenes.
Thanks for warning me about the stupid edits. I was just about to go buy an "I's" Graphic Novel, but now that you have warned me I am going to save my money.
But you know what, the edits could be worse. Look at the One Piece Manga, and then watch the dubbed Anime, you will see what I mean.

As for the rest of the magazine, I thought that this months was pretty good. I liked how the ending of YuGiOh left me on the edge of my seat. And One Piece was awsome. I dont remember the others well enough to review them though.

Overall I really liked this issue, however, the magazine has gotten smaller and smaller. I compaired last June's issue to this June's and it is signifigantly smaller. I wish they would add more chapters to stories or add another Manga. It just seems like the magazine gets smaller every issue.

Riaf
8th May 2005, 5:40 AM
It's funny how Shonen Jump used to be just about perfect when it first started up. They were a teen focused magazine. Now they seem to be focusing more on the younger kids when clearly alot of the manga aren't intended for children (such as I"s and early Yu-Gi-Oh!). This is reminding me too much of when Dragon Ball first began to get censored. People complained to change it back to being uncensored and Viz went ahead and slapped a "13 and Up" sticker on each book. Why can't they do this? :| It's bad enough some of the edits are carrying over to the graphic novels (so much for hoping Mr. Satan would keep his original name rather than Hercule in the GN, despite Viz clearly stating that his original name in Japan is Mr. Satan).

Yeah, same with Naruto. Though I probably am more mad at the fact that Naruto used to have words like "***" and "screwed" while those kind went to a bare minium. And I keep worrying if Viz will literally edit the context of Naruto, Dragon Ball, etc.

Chris
8th May 2005, 5:59 AM
Something like Gohan stating to Cell "I'm not impressed.." in the original (which took up a whole word bubble for the entire Japanese text) ended up becoming "Woopie!" in the English version which left a big *** word balloon for something as tiny as that. o_O;; It'd be nice if Viz would quit having some manga follow the standards of the dub anime and just TRANSLATE the damn manga.

Eon Chao
8th May 2005, 1:12 PM
Well I'm a UK collecter (which means I'm still waiting for my copy of May's issue to arrive) but I do agree. Shonen Jump was really good to begin with but now it is just about selling it to the kids. I look at my collection and see in terms of front covers:

Yu-gi-oh: 14
Dragonball: 7
Naruto: 3
Shaman King: 3
One Piece: 1
Yu Yu Hakusho: 1

(my flatmate is borrowing the May and June 2004 issues so can't count their covers)

Hmm.. seem biased at all? Also the April Issue was tiny in comparison to all of the ones last year. I had a huge amount of suport behind viz and shonen jump back in 2003/2004 but this year most of all they've run it into the ground.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh but I prefer Hikaru No Go, Shaman King, One Piece and Naruto about a 100 fold and Yu Yu Hakusho about 50 times as much. Also just about the entire thing is Yugioh theme'd with articles about new cards and stuff getting huge attention whilst other thinks are missed.

I also really dislike the subscription gifts thing as it just really annoys me. Obelisk the Tormentor if you subscribe etc. Oh look you can only subscribe if you live on the other side of the Atlantic.

Finally ending my rant weren't we promised a Shojo release similair to Shonen Jump at the start of the year? what happened to that?

EDIT: Just went ot Viz's site and saw the section for Shojo Beat. My bad.

Black Angel
8th May 2005, 7:08 PM
I don't see the point in censoring the magazine after all there is a rated teen label on the magazines.

Also about the I's censoring of the nipples is just in one scene or is it numerous times?

Rex Kamex
8th May 2005, 7:44 PM

On the other hand, though, in Hercule's debut chapter, someone mentioned how his nickname was Mr. Satan (but I guess that doesn't count.)

Also, they really shouldn't over-edit any manga that is T+ (or else it wouldn't be T+ now, would it?). It really depends on the edit.

drTomoe123
8th May 2005, 8:14 PM
I don't see the point in censoring the magazine after all there is a rated teen label on the magazines.

Also about the I's censoring of the nipples is just in one scene or is it numerous times?

It was just in once scene so far, but there are MANY more nipples in the later parts of the series, plus a joke referring to the scene in the first volume.

I just hate it when the American manga companies try to tell us just what is suitable for us to see and read. :(

Riaf
8th May 2005, 8:56 PM
Something like Gohan stating to Cell "I'm not impressed.." in the original (which took up a whole word bubble for the entire Japanese text) ended up becoming "Woopie!" in the English version which left a big *** word balloon for something as tiny as that. o_O;; It'd be nice if Viz would quit having some manga follow the standards of the dub anime and just TRANSLATE the damn manga.

That reminds me of Shikamaru's lines. Like when he and Chouji were thinking about how to get Naruto awake, Shikamaru was yellin for reason. He also said "Blast". Waay to OOC for me. Hell, only One Peice seems to be the good dubbing process.

HK
8th May 2005, 9:54 PM
Heh, joining the 'Dark Side' now are we Riaf? :p

Seriously though, U.S. Shonen Jump was really good when it first came out. I remember just randomly picking it up at Krogers and flipping it open to read YU-GI-OH! I'm gonna be honest with you, I had heard that the original reason was pretty damn violent and crap, but I was still a bit shocked at it. Shonen Jump still pretty much kept their manga intact really well, but I find it annoying as hell that they are turning into this... well, kid-oriented and screwing-around-with-the-manga publisher. It really pisses me off noawadays, and all I can say is '**** you' to anyone who says that we shouldn't complain about Viz's manga translations. -.-

I also find that the edit for I's just plain stupid. I'm not going to pick it up because I'm not into any romance-oriented manga, but to edit out just things like nipples when it comes to the GN is dumb. I mean, why edit that while still keep a lot nudity in something like Dragon Ball which is probably going to get a lot more views?

Oh well; I still subscribe to them, for whatever reason. But I can say that if I praise them for anything, it would be their releases for Rurouni Kenshin. The most popular Shonen Jump Manga in the US and it gets translations really well. Hmm... any correlation there? Meh, plus I like their monthly releases and that they don't edit/change anything in it; I wish that they would do that with their other mangas.

Riaf
9th May 2005, 3:01 AM
Heh, joining the 'Dark Side' now are we Riaf?

What's that supposed to mean?

Chris
9th May 2005, 3:09 AM
You know what the funny thing about the I"s edits are? They choose to censor the nipples there..but left ALL of Bulma's chest intact when they were bringing over Dragon Ball. Considering how kid targeted the Dragon Ball franchise is here, they chose to leave that untouched yet choose to edit a manga directly targeted for teens. Why?

That Scary Clefairy
9th May 2005, 4:08 AM
You know what the funny thing about the I"s edits are? They choose to censor the nipples there..but left ALL of Bulma's chest intact when they were bringing over Dragon Ball. Considering how kid targeted the Dragon Ball franchise is here, they chose to leave that untouched yet choose to edit a manga directly targeted for teens. Why?

You know, it one of those things that always will puzzle us.

also in the DBZ manga, they edited middle fingers

Chris
9th May 2005, 7:15 AM
Viz's standards are greatly messed up. They'll allow everything in Dragon Ball despite changing the hell out of some lines that end up becoming confusing (at one point Oolong mentions Chichi had a hick accent..when the manga failed to properly give her and Goku the accent).

What's funny is that they went ahead and used the original names for the attacks and gave a small explanation of the attacks literal name meaning in English during Dragon Ball. Yet they go about not following suit with Naruto. o_O

drTomoe123
9th May 2005, 3:20 PM
Viz's standards are greatly messed up. They'll allow everything in Dragon Ball despite changing the hell out of some lines that end up becoming confusing (at one point Oolong mentions Chichi had a hick accent..when the manga failed to properly give her and Goku the accent).

What's funny is that they went ahead and used the original names for the attacks and gave a small explanation of the attacks literal name meaning in English during Dragon Ball. Yet they go about not following suit with Naruto. o_O

Viz's inconsistency disgusts me.

I LOVE Viz's version of Rurouni Kenshin. It leaves the original kanji used for the attack names while having TWO translations of the attack next to it (romaji and literal translation). It leaves honorifics and basically everything else. Sure, there are a few typos, but that's it.

Then, we have titles like Naruto and Whistle! We all know about Naruto, but Viz's overall translation of Whistle! is TERRIBLE. Worldwide soccer superstars are commonly named wrong and misspelled, brands are changed ('Mizuno', an inside joke, is changed to 'Tatsuya"??), and soccer terms are *******ized. (I don't know ANYTHING about soccer, but dang, a four-year old could point these mistakes out!) Whistle! is such a great manga with the very inner workings of the shounen spirit, but Viz's presentation of it really doesn't do it justice.

What makes it even worse, Viz's shoujo and Editor's Choice titles ALL get better translation and treatment than the Shonen Jump/Shonen Jump ADVANCED lines, plus the added bonus of being UNCENSORED. Video Girl Ai, by the same author as I"s and published by Viz, had uncensored nipples, but happened to be in the Editor's Choice line, if I remember correctly.

It might have to do with the different editors for each of the series (if so, let's get Kenshin's editor to work on every SJ series. ;D), so they need to have a big meeting and get this stuff straightened out.

Viz just needs to realize that this isn't 1998 anymore, manga is more mainstream than they could ever imagine it would be back then, and it doesn't need to be censored.

Heheh, you don't want to get me started on Tenjou Tenge. ;D

P-fan
9th May 2005, 4:18 PM
I didn't even know that viz would edit manga, but there was some go reason. Some words are change for american reader could understand them.
There is the Shaman King editing of Ponchi's I can't said.

Chris
9th May 2005, 4:37 PM
There is the Shaman King editing of Ponchi's I can't said.
What's hilarious is how they even MENTIONED that tanooki were viewed as having large testicles in one of their articles long ago during part of YuYu Hakusho (I think it was) yet they go about editing away any reference to 'em.

Yuugis Black Magician
12th May 2005, 12:30 AM
Why would they have ANY reason to edit the Manga? The comics released are to allow us enjoy the original story and such, I feel just so, mortified when I'm not allowed to take the true whole of my faveriot comics, just because the Animé has a certain [dub version] standard to go by, I'm also-displeased by the handling of the Yu-Gi-Oh! comic and how it was rearranged to become split into certain series, i.e. when the last chapter of Volume seven was place in the begining of V8/D1.

I'm also displeased as how One Piece seems to get top priority in the Monthly Jump magizine, with issue thirty, OP has FOUR CHAPTER4444444444444444444444444 This displeased me as HnG and Shaman King are the two comic that really need polishing.

If I had some sort of positing with Viz, I'd make Jump weekly here in the states and possibly Canada, depending on sales, and collect all SJ releated titles and releasing 1-2 chapter a week, that way are issues like the Weekly JPN ones, 450 pages long! And they should also color code the pages by genre, like in a Weekly Jump magizine my friend was borrowing from a friend.

Please don't tell me tPot and Bleach are getting edited too....(meaning tell me so).

~Yuugis Black Magician

Ichijin
14th May 2005, 4:46 AM
Why would they have ANY reason to edit the Manga? The comics released are to allow us enjoy the original story and such, I feel just so, mortified when I'm not allowed to take the true whole of my faveriot comics, just because the Animé has a certain [dub version] standard to go by, I'm also-displeased by the handling of the Yu-Gi-Oh! comic and how it was rearranged to become split into certain series, i.e. when the last chapter of Volume seven was place in the begining of V8/D1.

I'm also displeased as how One Piece seems to get top priority in the Monthly Jump magizine, with issue thirty, OP has FOUR CHAPTER4444444444444444444444444 This displeased me as HnG and Shaman King are the two comic that really need polishing.

If I had some sort of positing with Viz, I'd make Jump weekly here in the states and possibly Canada, depending on sales, and collect all SJ releated titles and releasing 1-2 chapter a week, that way are issues like the Weekly JPN ones, 450 pages long! And they should also color code the pages by genre, like in a Weekly Jump magizine my friend was borrowing from a friend.

Please don't tell me tPot and Bleach are getting edited too....(meaning tell me so).

~Yuugis Black Magician

Uh... making the USSJ weekly is pretty near impossible- Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan sells exponentially more than Shonen Jump in the states. Just look at what happened to Raijin- they were a weekly US manga mag (with great titles to boot!), but nobody even noticed they existed. What happened? They went bankrupt. Plus WSJ has more than twice the number of titles that SJ has, making it easier to publish a magazine of that length. It just wouldn't work.

RaquazaMaster
14th May 2005, 7:46 AM
heh, Biiig collecter. have all issues cept Zero.
My Rating for this months Issue:
I"S (Preivew): Its AWSOME!!!!! i want the GN's of it but my mom probly wouldent let me... 100000/10 (Heh, Normal mark 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/10 but some o the pics aint fully.... ya know)
Yugioh: Hehe, Obelisk... MUAHAHAHAHA 10/10
Shaman king: They could make it longer... But they need SOME suspence in it 9/10
YuYu Hakusho:I havent read it yet but... 10/10 (jus cuz i like it in particular)
Hikaru No Go:That was close...

Anyopne with the GN for I"S, is it worth Getting? or do the censors make it useless?

EDIT: HEY!! Maybe we can create a Petition. Everyone who signs agrees that shonen jump should take out ALL edits, so its like they are coming strait from japan.... If you like this idea PM me and we'll talk about it.

Yuugis Black Magician
14th May 2005, 4:40 PM
That's why I said gather all Jump titles (GN and all) and post a chapter a week I mean God, they seem to have enought titles to do a weekyl magizine, that is if they are gonna do it, but I guess I can thrwo that idea down the drain.

Citrus Man
14th May 2005, 10:06 PM
Did anyone get the full I"s GN just cause they were P'Oed that it ended so soon? I know I did. I got it. all the junk they had in the monthly is in the drain

Hikaru no Go is awexome! ;324;

Yuugis Black Magician
22nd May 2005, 4:01 PM
You kow, after thinking about it, shouldn't we just blame the staff members working on the comics?

Professor Ivy
23rd May 2005, 12:10 AM
You kow, after thinking about it, shouldn't we just blame the staff members working on the comics?
Yeah! But hey the next isuees come out June 7.

Shadow Xino
23rd May 2005, 2:07 AM
Shaman King - I have all the volumes out so far

in #6

As his second Shaman Fight comes to an end, Yoh uses a last-ditch strategy-and his last mana-against Faust's army of skeletons! Recovering from his wounds in the hospital, Manta becomes separated from Yoh and makes a fateful decision to travel to Yoh's faraway home in Izumo, Japan...by motorcycle...with "Wooden Sword" Ryu for company! As Manta and Ryu travel across Japan, Yoh undergoes his own journey, travelling into a pitch-black cave in search of shamanic inspiration. But before the two easy riders can reach their destination, they'll have to face the terrifying guardians of Izumo, the "land of the gods"!

Yuugis Black Magician
23rd May 2005, 3:03 AM
That's pretty much old news, seeing as how most of us have just read the magizine. Has anyone gotten their issue 31 yet? Spoil 'way.

Korobooshi Kojiro
24th May 2005, 11:37 PM
What's hilarious is how they even MENTIONED that tanooki were viewed as having large testicles in one of their articles long ago during part of YuYu Hakusho (I think it was) yet they go about editing away any reference to 'em.

I found it weird how his "Belly Buster" came out of that area and even looked like testicles.

Now I'm wondering how the Zatch Bell Manga will turn out......although, the dub is better then most dubs I see nowadays.

Chris
1st June 2005, 6:14 AM
Oddly, my latest Jump hasn't come in the mail yet. o_O; Anyone else having this problem? Ain't my subscription running up since I renewed it recently.

Korobooshi Kojiro
1st June 2005, 1:20 PM
Well, got my last issue (The one with I's) extremely early, like a week after the Issue before that.

Anyway, I usually get mine by now too.......

Memeorial Day might have something to do with it.

Rex Kamex
4th June 2005, 5:52 PM
I haven't seen the July 2005 edition of Shonen Jump in bookstores yet. Maybe I should just do the old fashion method of going to the bookstore the day Shonen Jump is supposed to come out (which is June 7th, unfortunately)...

Sasuke
4th June 2005, 7:16 PM
Well, I just got the July Issue yesterday and finished reading it yesterday to, but forgot to post about it.
Preview of the Month: None, there was no preview for a manga this month
New manga: None, according to SJ preveiws of Mangas are taking DBZ's slot for the rest of the year.
YuGiOh: Im not a big fan of YuGiOh, but it was ok
One Piece: Excellent, but I missed all the action. Oh, and the Arlong Arc began in this issue.
Naruto: Excallent, with the end of the second exam
Shaman King: Could have been better, Yoh and Ren still fight in this one
YuYu Hakusho: Im beggining to like this Manga and I thought this was a good chapter. An added bonus was there was a half naked girl, only her chest and between her legs was covered by vines, in it
Hikaru No Go: This is one of my favorites.We begin to see how much Hikaru has improved in his game and what his future plans are.
Anyway, hope you guys enjoy this issue as much as I did.

ShadowSneasal
4th June 2005, 7:21 PM
I still havent got mine.

Yuugis Black Magician
5th June 2005, 2:58 AM
I think I got mine Thursday. Anywho, although I got it a week later then my friend at school did, I must day July was great. I can't wait for Augest, it'll have a Jo Jo preview in it.

Rex Kamex
5th June 2005, 8:53 PM
Where'd you guys get your issues so early, or did you just subscribe?

Yuugis Black Magician
6th June 2005, 2:16 AM
Yes, we subscibe, or at least I do.

Sasuke
8th June 2005, 1:39 AM
Yes, we subscibe, or at least I do.
Yes, I subscribe also.

Chris
8th June 2005, 2:12 AM
I'm subscribed as well. Yet mine came in much later than usual. Came in today. o_O Normally it comes a week or two before the stores get it.

DigitalKaede
10th June 2005, 4:30 AM
Here's what i think of the shonen jump manga:

Naruto: 9/10 Very good drawings and storyline
One Piece: 8/10 Also a good manga (to me, Invincible Pearl from Don Krieg's Army is weird)
Hikaru No Go: 9/10 Excellent Drawings. Storyline's okay
Yu-gi-oh!: 8/10 Good Storyline but drawings from vol.1 looks strange.
Shaman King: 8/10 Nice Drawings. Horohoro ,the Ainu guy, is cool
DBZ: 7/10 Ok but could be better.
Yu Yu Hakusho: 7/10 Alright but the drawings are strange
Legendz: (GN[graphic novel] only)9/10 Excellent
Eyeshield 21: Haven't read
Hunter X Hunter: Haven't read
I's, Beet, Ultimate Muscle, and Sandland: Haven't Read

RaquazaMaster
20th June 2005, 4:09 AM
I subscribe but id rather get it in stores. It always comes late for me. Usually 3 weeks after the store gets it >:( the only reason i subscribe is to get the goodies like oh say... Obelisk the Tormentor...

Yuugis Black Magician
28th June 2005, 3:27 PM
I got August like a week or two ago now, and boy was it great! Viz has decided to skip over the first two JoJo's and go on over to the Japanese one, how surprising...

One Piece and Naruto are heating up aswell. Don't forget to mention Shman King, Ren and Yoh finally settled their battle in a heated draw. The Priest had a mock battle and The Nameless Pharaoh showed Kaiba the power of Kuribo.

Coming next month is a preview of Bobobo Bobo Bobobobo or what ever it is....

Nana
23rd July 2005, 6:58 PM
Is anyone a fan of the stuff in Japanese JUMPS?

My favorites are Death Note, Busou Reiken, Pretty Face, I'll, and Black Cat ^^

Riaf
24th July 2005, 7:28 PM
Ichigo 100% is to my taste.

Rex Kamex
29th July 2005, 10:04 PM
Has anyone managed to find the September 2005 issue early, by now?

Lemurian
29th July 2005, 10:12 PM
I read Shonen Jump too. But here, they come a bit diffferent. 'Cause Jump is new here so there's only Naruto, Shaman King, SandLand and Yu-Gi-Oh. Finito. Naruto is in the Wave-country, Yoh has just met Anna again, SanLand is on the second last and Yu-Gi-Oh is on the duel against the Ocean Duelist.

Rex Kamex
29th July 2005, 10:42 PM
Well, I still don't have September 2005, but if anyone wants to know what it looks like... (http://store.viz.com/product/MGS050005/s.jKbuL3bN)

Yuugis Black Magician
30th July 2005, 2:54 AM
I have September 2005. In it there is a free YGO card and a preview of BoBoBo-Bo, as well as two chapters of YGO, Naruto, SK, HnG, and three chapters of OP. Next month is a free demo of the new OP game and a preview of Death Note.

Juputoru
29th August 2005, 11:46 PM
October 2005 just came in. It came with a demo of Grand Battle! :D At a quick glance...
-There's an advertisment for Naruto shirts at Hot Topic!
-Of course, there are preview pages about the Naruto anime
-There's a brief history of ninja on those same pages
-There's a pic with the Sexy no Jutsu in it :O It looks unaltered
-There's also a preview page for Bo^7
-The previewed manga of the month is Deathone(it took me a minute to read the name...some of the letters are rotated in the title)
-The Naruto chappies are of the Shino VS Zaku prelim fight, and the Kankuro VS Tsurugi Misumi fight
-Yugioh is still flashbacks of Yami no Yugi's life...
-Hikaru passed the insei test! (they told you that right at the start of the chapter, so no whining about me spoiling it for you :P)
-One Piece is still in the middle of the Arlong Arc.
-It's the B'z fight in Shaman King! There's also the start of the "Ren goes to defeat his father" arc...
-YYH is still Jin VS Yusuke...
-Hey! There's a One Piece trading card in this issue, too! :D Oh, and info about the TCG.
-And of course, there's a page about Grand Battle...and "secret" codes & "exclusive" tips, along with how to unlock...BON CLAY! :O
-The One Piece anime guide is still here...it has pictures of...CHOPPER! And Crocodile!
-And some Halloween stuff, including a hilarious pic of a guy in a Yugi costume(with hair that ISN'T 3 feet tall!)

Tenten
30th August 2005, 12:33 AM
Ooh, I like Shonen Jump too, even though I'm a girl! It's way better than Shoujo Beat in my opinion. What's happening is mine is the same thing as Juputoru's. Here are my ratings.

Shaman King: 9/10 Great story, very interesting.
Yu-Gi-Oh!: 7/10 Not a big fan of it, but it's okay.
Naruto: 9/10 Lots of action, pretty funny, good cast of characters.
Bleach: 10/10 One of the best mangas I've read.
Dragon Ball Z: 6/10 No comment except that it's just acceptable.
Hikaru No Go: 9/10 The artwork is beautiful and the story makes kinda interested in playing Go.
Yu Yu Hakasho: 5/10 I like the anime a lot, but the manga's not so appealing.
One Piece: 8/10 Very peculiar, yet funny.
Eyeshield 21: 4/10 Err, this one's kinda strange. I don't really like it.
I"s: Don't wanna know. I'm a girl, and this one is specifically for boys. >.>

Ultimate Muscle: 3/10 Not a fan of this one. Really weird.
Sandland: 2/10 *yawns* This one pretty much bored me to death.
Beet, HunterxHunter and Legendz: Haven't read

Chris
30th August 2005, 1:56 AM
Why do I get the feeling that the name of the human in Death Note is actually Hikari, rather than Light? :|

HK
30th August 2005, 2:12 AM
Why do I get the feeling that the name of the human in Death Note is actually Hikari, rather than Light? :|

Scans that I've read have his name as Raito, but whatever. Who in their right mind would name their kid Light? -__- And Death Note is one of my favorite manga series too. T.T Thankfully though, other than that name change, the Viz's edition for the preview was actually pretty damn good.

That isn't nowhere near my comments towards Naruto and One Piece, though. There was a f*cking analogy compared to guns in the last chapter in Naruto. Hey, Viz, maybe you don't pay attention, BUT THERE AREN'T ANY GUNS IN NARUTO. And there was something that bothered me about One Piece this month, but I can't remember now. :/

Chris
30th August 2005, 2:24 AM
Raito is Light, dude. >_> Raito's the romanized spelling of Light.

The one thing bugging me about Naruto heavily right now.."BYAKUGAN! THE ALL SEEING EVIL EYE!"

--; Since WHEN is the Byakugan an "evil eye" technique?

Dogasu
30th August 2005, 2:55 AM
Hey, Viz, maybe you don't pay attention, BUT THERE AREN'T ANY GUNS IN NARUTO.

There could be, considering they have walkie talkies and VCR's and other modern-day conveniences.

The problem I have with their One Piece translation is how they're catering to the dub a lot lately (Zolo, Coco Village). I will be seriously pissed off if they change Smoker to Captain Chaser.

Brinstar
30th August 2005, 5:08 AM
There could be, considering they have walkie talkies and VCR's and other modern-day conveniences.

The problem I have with their One Piece translation is how they're catering to the dub a lot lately (Zolo, Coco Village). I will be seriously pissed off if they change Smoker to Captain Chaser.

I believe Masashi Kishimoto said in an interview that there are absolutely no guns in the world of Naruto, since bullets far outclass the speed of shurikens.

I agree with you on the One Piece stuff.

Chris
30th August 2005, 5:21 AM
..lmao They said the Navy was arriving in this month's One Piece..despite the ship on the same pannel having MARINES painted on the ship and sewn on the sails. As well as the Marine officers having MARINES on their hats. >_>

How stupid are the editors of One Piece?

Manjoume
30th August 2005, 5:34 AM
..lmao They said the Navy was arriving in this month's One Piece..despite the ship on the same pannel having MARINES painted on the ship and sewn on the sails. As well as the Marine officers having MARINES on their hats. >_>

God, I saw that.............. I kind of laughed. Looks like they are going with 4Kids again.... or some **** like that but without editing the "Marines" part...

If anyone wants a picture of the scan I'll have it up soon...

Tenten
30th August 2005, 5:58 AM

Wow...what geniuses they are. [/Sarcasm] They must just turn into the next 4kids if they keep this up.

Manjoume
30th August 2005, 6:03 AM
Wow...what geniuses they are. [/Sarcasm] They must just turn into the next 4kids if they keep this up.
Think of that. Blood.... GONE! Violence.... GONE! Death that you don't see.... GONE! They already censor middle fingers..... which is retarded....

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th August 2005, 2:00 PM
SO what's the One Piece Demo like. What characters can you play as and what all can you do.

And what was the OP Card?

EDIT: I actually have a theory that 4Kids is making Viz edit One Piece.

Juputoru
30th August 2005, 2:55 PM
--; Since WHEN is the Byakugan an "evil eye" technique?
Since...several issues ago, when Neji first used it. Feh, it's better than SOME of Viz's attack names...I don't get their attack "translators" at all, really.

SO what's the One Piece Demo like. What characters can you play as and what all can you do.

And what was the OP Card?
The Demo was...fun, although I suck at fighting games so I kept losing XP (tip:Luffy and Arlong work best when using the "bash random buttons and hope" technique) You can use Luffy, Zoro, Arlong, and Nami; the battlefields you can use are the Baratie and...some villiage I forgot the name of. The only mode you can use is the one player Grand Battle mode. And yes, the characters have their dub voices(although Arlong's voice isn't doubled. Which is good...)

The OP card was "Pirate's Ambition".

Dogasu
30th August 2005, 3:35 PM
The video games are being affected by 4Kids' changes too (there's a screenshot floating around that shows Smoker without his cigar), so I'm sticking to my import copies of Grand Battles 2 and 3.

Yuugis Black Magician
30th August 2005, 4:49 PM
That seriously pisses me off. One Piece will not have any SORT of reputation once 4K'rap is finished with it.

In Death Note, the main character IS Light, not Hikari.

I am also getting really ****** OFF at SJ and Viz. I WANT MORE HnG!! Stop buying more titles, let us READ what is already!! You'll finish them a heck of a lot sooner.

In other news, tPoT Volume nine will be coming out soon!!!

I think I'll be buying some Naruto shirts hehehehehe...

EDIT:

Also note: The main characters of Naruto have been casted. Naruto's actress is supposedly a new actress.

Poison Master
30th August 2005, 6:02 PM
wait, so they are giving out free One Piece cards with Shonen Jump? Does anyone know if this is just in the magazine itself like with the Amazoness last issue or do you have to subscribe? (I live in the UK so I can't subscribe) also when is the card game released?

Chris
30th August 2005, 6:23 PM
The card comes with every issue. However, the subscribers get that and the One Piece Grand Battle demo.

As for Light, yeah, I found out after I made my post. x_x Just seemed rather odd for someone to have the name Light. Couldn't trust on SJ's translation either. >_>;

As for Naruto's actress..we KNEW it was a new actress for months already. o_o We just didn't know who. I don't know why everyone kept forgetting that.

Yuugis Black Magician
30th August 2005, 6:38 PM
The card comes with every issue. However, the subscribers get that and the One Piece Grand Battle demo.

As for Light, yeah, I found out after I made my post. x_x Just seemed rather odd for someone to have the name Light. Couldn't trust on SJ's translation either. >_>;

As for Naruto's actress..we KNEW it was a new actress for months already. o_o We just didn't know who. I don't know why everyone kept forgetting that.

Ed, has a trailer popped up with Maile's (pronounciation please, is it My Li?) Naruto up? All I see on CN is a preview, but the voices are too hard to here.

Chris
30th August 2005, 6:44 PM
Sorry, but I wouldn't know. The only time I really even get a chance to watch CN is for [adult swim]. On my days off from work, I only watch normal CN when the DBZ redub is on for comparison's sake (and nostalgia of uncutness). And from what I know, people are complaining over a 1-second clip of Naruto's voice that you can barely even hear. Unless you attended Otakon.

Brinstar
30th August 2005, 9:06 PM
I've heard it and I thought it sounded fine. I mean, Naruto only says "what is this?" and people are already complaning >_>;

HK
30th August 2005, 9:21 PM
This thread got revived all of a sudden. >_>;;

Anyway, same thing here with the "Light" comment, although I think that this is the first time where Viz has actually translated the name into the english meaning for their SJ titles, I believe. No offense, but why the hell have other's name as they originally were but not the main character's? Ah well, the rest of it was fine, though.

It seems that SJ is more or less catering to younger kids nowadays, and the unnecessary BS with Naruto is still occuring, sadly.

And about the Naruto voice actor. People who have heard more of it at Otakon (I believed that it was played there, anyway) have heard it, and generally they thought that it was fitting for a twelve-year-old since Naruto IS A TWELVE-YEAR-OLD. -_-; Only the ones who hate dubs anyway are the ones who are bashing it. (Opinions from members at NarutoForums.)

Juputoru
30th August 2005, 9:31 PM
Ed, has a trailer popped up with Maile's (pronounciation please, is it My Li?) Naruto up? All I see on CN is a preview, but the voices are too hard to here.
There's a YTMND (whatisthis.ytmnd.com) with his dub voice looping over and over and over. That good enough for ya? :p Now remember, you can't judge a voice by three words... ;P

Now that I've read it all...

Death Note. Looks. AWESOME. I don't know why, really. I guess the concept is just intriguing to me. Light IS a weird name, though. Must have sounded cool to the Japanese, I guess >_>

Not much to say for most of 'em...

I kinda...skipped over One Piece. Meh, I guess I've just had enough Arlong to last a lifetime...

Now Hikaru's the one chasing after Akira. Funny how that works.

Nami's my favorite Grand Battle character out of the four you can use; I can consistantly do well with her! Interestingly enough...if one of her attacks had "tempo" in its name in the original, it is now "tempest" according to the demo. I'm not sure why. Oh, and the Kung-fu Dugongs were called "Jugongs". O_o

Manjoume
31st August 2005, 2:20 AM
Like I promised. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/zakjj/sj2.jpg And sorry for it looking bad. I suck at scaning...

Chris
31st August 2005, 5:07 AM
And about the Naruto voice actor. People who have heard more of it at Otakon (I believed that it was played there, anyway) have heard it, and generally they thought that it was fitting for a twelve-year-old since Naruto IS A TWELVE-YEAR-OLD. -_-; Only the ones who hate dubs anyway are the ones who are bashing it. (Opinions from members at NarutoForums.)
Yanno, I gotta agree. I'm all for them sounding like kids. Considering they ARE kids. It actually took me a while to adjust to their Japanese voices when I first saw the anime. Sasuke had the general way too old male voice for a 12 year old kid. Sounded like he already past puberty. Sakura sounded like she was in her 20s or something. o_O; Naruto was perfect, however.

And now that I've heard Naruto's voice in English, it actually sounds pretty good. So far, that is. Let's hope his VA can portray the character properly.

Riaf
31st August 2005, 5:28 AM
It is abit scratchy, the "What is this?" line. However, he sounds like a kid so I'm able to get used to it.

Manjoume
31st August 2005, 5:34 AM
Why are we talking about the Naruto dub voices for?

I think the next issue has Naruto on the cover. Finally. No more Atemu!

Chris
31st August 2005, 6:19 PM
About damn time. I'm getting tired of YGO being the only one that's on these damn covers. o_O

Korobooshi Kojiro
31st August 2005, 6:33 PM
I wish Hikaru was on the cover. Or maybe instead of putting the title character start putting on other characters. Like Sanji or Sasuke!

But I don't see why some people are starting to bash SJ. I love it!

Yuugis Black Magician
31st August 2005, 6:52 PM
I'm all for Hikaru. :D

That continuing 'What is this?' gave me a headache. Overall, I liked it. My friend owns a few JPN episodes, and so far it is a fun Animé. According to the pictures in my October SJ, they are keeping in that...one SnJ...or whatever is was.

Everyone is mad at SJ because they keep being a bunch of idiots by changing everything, blurrign out cussing, using dub names, covering over some stuff.

SJ NEEDS to stop translating sound effects!! That way they can cough out more chapters a month, or better yet, start a weekly serial anothology.

Juputoru
31st August 2005, 9:54 PM
We need a cover with everybody on it EXCEPT Yugi. ;D At least when DBZ was around, it alternated between Goku and Yugi. :P

Hikaru needs to be on a cover NOW. :S Maybe Zoro and Sanji, too. Or KURAMA. :D

SJ has gone downhill. Though that won't stop me from reading it...

Rex Kamex
31st August 2005, 10:37 PM
It is abit scratchy, the "What is this?" line. However, he sounds like a kid so I'm able to get used to it.

It kind of reminds me of Aing's voice (from Avatar). If that is what it's gonna sound like, Dub Naruto will have a really fitting voice. But if not, I guess it'll sound similar. Since there's not much else for me to say about Dub Naruto's first words, I suppose I'll do the old fashion method of waiting to see the show before I judge.

And Juputoru, you're absolutely right about Hikaru on the cover.

Tenten
31st August 2005, 11:05 PM
Finally! I am sick of Yugi on the cover almost all the time. They should be putting up other people on the covers! There are lots of other people that can be used:
Hikaru, Zolo, Naruto, Kurama=D, Hiei^.~, Yusuke, etc. Like other people pointed out earlier, what's the point of editing certain scenes intended for older people in a magazine FOR those older people?! That makes no sense at all.

Satoshi
31st August 2005, 11:50 PM
Finally! I am sick of Yugi on the cover almost all the time. They should be putting up other people on the covers! There are lots of other people that can be used:
Hikaru, Zolo, Naruto, Kurama=D, Hiei^.~, Yusuke, etc. Like other people pointed out earlier, what's the point of editing certain scenes intended for older people in a magazine FOR those older people?! That makes no sense at all.
Yeah, it's a releaf that Naruto's on the cover in Vol. 3 Issue 3 instead of Yugi. It wierd how almost every Shonen Jump issue I got has Yugi on the cover. x_x;

Manjoume
1st September 2005, 12:06 AM
Well since DBZ isn't in there Yu-Gi-Oh! has taken over.... And Let's hope they use more characters then Atemu after this issue....

Rex Kamex
2nd September 2005, 11:22 PM
What's the preview for November 2005? Mr. Fullswing? Ichigo 100%? I'd say more, but those are the only ones I can think of...

Yuugis Black Magician
2nd September 2005, 11:25 PM
What's the preview for November 2005? Mr. Fullswing? Ichigo 100%? I'd say more, but those are the only ones I can think of...

It said another BoBoBo would be in it, not sure why though. >.>

Korobooshi Kojiro
3rd September 2005, 12:04 AM
I still ahve not got my issue.

Iwonder which Manga there gonna have in SJ weekly next. Maybe they decided Bo^7 would be it!

Juputoru
3rd September 2005, 12:46 AM
I think they already did Bo^7...yup. In the September issue.

You know...why won't SJ add another permanent manga to its roster? I know the GNs are released faster when they're not in Jump, but...then again, they COULD release more chapters per month of the manga they already have! *wants the OP and Naruto manga to hurry ahead to the good parts...and wants more HnG, period*

Manjoume
3rd September 2005, 1:00 AM
One Piece gets 3 Chapters per issue. And the others get 2 besides the previews.

And BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo come out in Septembers so I doubt it will be again.... I think you guys got mixed up with the graphic novel's release....

Juputoru
3rd September 2005, 1:07 AM
I know that. But I still say we should get more :P Even if it's just for the December issue, as a psuedo-Christmas present. Eh, call me impatient :p I think I'm just complaining becasue I just read through most of the old issues...which are about an inch thicker than the recent ones, thanks to DBZ. I'll still get SJ anyway ;P

Manjoume
3rd September 2005, 1:11 AM
Yeah. That would be nice. ^^

Chris
3rd September 2005, 1:13 AM
It said another BoBoBo would be in it, not sure why though. >.>
Well, Bo x7 IS coming to CN soon. Besides, why question more BoBoBo? >:O Welcome it!

Riaf
3rd September 2005, 7:19 AM
Ah, damn, Ichigo's liscened already? I wasn't done with it...

Rex Kamex
3rd September 2005, 3:19 PM
I don't know if it has been, I just named some of the mangas in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Riaf
3rd September 2005, 4:20 PM
Oh, good. I was afraid I'd never finish it..

RandomCharizard
3rd September 2005, 6:04 PM

And BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo come out in Septembers so I doubt it will be again.... I think you guys got mixed up with the graphic novel's release....That dude looks like Mirror B.
Naruto manga starting to get much more intresting in the lates issue

Chris
3rd September 2005, 6:15 PM
More like Mirror B looks like Bo BoBo due to the manga coming out in 2001.

Yuugis Black Magician
3rd September 2005, 9:20 PM
I read Bo^7 and it isn't all that funny, just stupid slapstick stuff. I prefer that HnG is released faster, three-four chapters a month. SJ should have stopped releasing so many SJ titles because they'll use up all of their teams and then the SJ Mag. Comics get less attention. Finish off YGO in SJ Mag. as quick as possible so that they don't have to consentrate so much on YGO, seeing as how about eleven chapters are released each month. (2 in SJ, 9 in Volume).

And also, why the heck does my B&N NOT carry Whistle! and Ultimate Muscle? I wanna read UM (at least to give it a chance) and I don't wanna travel ten miles one way to read Whistle! at the mall every time (on last two chapters of V6, this is a great comic, you should all read it).

Manjoume
3rd September 2005, 9:38 PM
No clue. I want to read Ulitimate Muscle too. Like right now they are in the finals with Scar-face and Kid Muscle.

Korobooshi Kojiro
3rd September 2005, 11:01 PM
Hmm,it seems that the Bo7 in the next issue will be another preview chapter.

They mention the Black Cat Anime and say it will be coming to America soon (the comic), could this be the next SJ member?

Yuugis Black Magician
4th September 2005, 3:59 AM
I bought my Ruroken 18 today. For some reason Ruroken 18 and SK 7 are on sale at SunCoast, but no tPoT or YGO 15...blast I must have them!! And Whistle! Volume 7.

Here's my review.

This month, Kenshin reflects on his past and the horrible deeds he had commited. Trying to atone for his sins, Kenshin pays his respects for the women he has not seen in ten years. After weeks of partying the gang goes home to Tokyo. Yahiko yearns to improve his skill, Kenshin is even willing to help Yahiko a little (but he won't teach Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryu) in his training. Sano gets his hand checked-up on, and Megumi and Kaoru have a little chat. And now, begin the Jenchu story arc, or Revenge. The Six Comrades, six individuals who wish to take they're revenge on Kenshin for the terrible things he has done to them in his past. If Tenchu is Judgement from the Heaven's, then Jenchu is Judgement from one's self.

Manjoume
12th September 2005, 1:24 AM
I'm surprised nobody has said something about this.

Shonen Jump keeps messing up on the date for the next release of the next issue. (This has been the last two issues that have done that)

DigitalKaede
12th September 2005, 1:36 AM
I know I saw that. The Death Note preview looked intresting.

Rex Kamex
13th September 2005, 10:24 PM
I believe Masashi Kishimoto said in an interview that there are absolutely no guns in the world of Naruto, since bullets far outclass the speed of shurikens.

Yeah, I read that. Problem is, even with no guns Dosu compared something to a gun barrel, which makes no sense since there are no guns, so obviously nobody should know what a gun barrel is anyway.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
19th September 2005, 9:00 PM
Hi there. Ive been reading SJ for a while, and agree with all of you who say MORE HnG! *coughs* But i also think there needs to be more Naruto, and more SK, they can drop everything else for all i care, as long as theres losts of those 3. And i also think they shoulda replaced DBZ with DeathNote, but thats just what i think.

Chris
19th September 2005, 9:51 PM
And here I sit, curled up in a ball, waiting for my precious Shonen Jump to arrive in the mail so I can get to play my Dragon Quest VIII demo. ._.;

And it appears that since DBZ left Shonen Jump, it's only gotten worse.

..Satan City's become Herculopolis. x_x;

19th September 2005, 10:04 PM
And here I sit, curled up in a ball, waiting for my precious Shonen Jump to arrive in the mail so I can get to play my Dragon Quest VIII demo. ._.;

And it appears that since DBZ left Shonen Jump, it's only gotten worse.

..Satan City's become Herculopolis. x_x;
I wanna play that Demo so bad but A) i dont subscribe, and B) I dont have a PS2

Rex Kamex
24th September 2005, 9:35 PM
Okay, so I went to my local Barnes and Noble earlier today and I discovered...

NOVEMBER 2005 is already out!

If I remember correctly, it's a blue-ish greenish color, and, once again, Yami Yugi is on the cover, but not as him as the Pharaoh.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the money to buy it, and all the copies were still wrapped in plastic, so I couldn't open them. But, the front cover did mention that One Piece had three chapters in it as usual. That's really all.

24th September 2005, 9:38 PM

If I remember correctly, it's a blue-ish greenish color, and, once again, Yami Yugi is on the cover, but not as him as the Pharaoh.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the money to buy it, and all the copies were still wrapped in plastic, so I couldn't open them. But, the front cover did mention that One Piece had three chapters in it as usual. That's really all.

Bloody coolness! But are you shure an you wernt just hiluninating?

Rex Kamex
24th September 2005, 9:41 PM
Seriously. (If I was, I probably wouldn't seen Hikaru on the cover.) It's quite a shame that every copy was in plastic. I had to push around the plastic just to take a peak inside and all I could see was a One Piece panel. But yes, I'm not joking.

24th September 2005, 9:42 PM
Cool. Hopefuly thell be at Walden.
Hikaru on the cover would own all.

Rex Kamex
24th September 2005, 9:45 PM
Yeah.

Of course, in this issue they had BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo for the preview. And for one more non-important fact, the cover did mention how Naruto was on TV now. But the cover was almost the same cover as the last one.

24th September 2005, 9:48 PM
Almost the same, but with Yami insted of Naruto

Rex Kamex
24th September 2005, 10:10 PM
Sorry, I meant the color was almost the same.

EDIT: I wonder what they'll do when Yu-Gi-Oh! ends? Maybe they'll just say, "Yu-Gi-Oh's ended, so putting Yami on the cover won't really make any sense... oh well! Let's put him on anyway!"

Manjoume
24th September 2005, 10:12 PM
The next issue is out already?!? WTF?

Might as well go get it. XD

Yuugis Black Magician
24th September 2005, 10:20 PM
What the Gunk! I still haven't gotten my issue in the mail, that is bull crap!!

Manjoume
24th September 2005, 10:21 PM
I'm not so sure it is out, unless other states get it before other ones.

Because the one that is out right now is October's issue.

Rex Kamex
25th September 2005, 12:09 AM
I'm actually surprised, because in my Barnes and Noble, it's hard to predict when the new issues will come out. This completely shocked me, but hopefully somebody else will find one too.

MagicBox
25th September 2005, 12:34 AM

If I remember correctly, it's a blue-ish greenish color, and, once again, Yami Yugi is on the cover, but not as him as the Pharaoh.Whoa, Yugi is on the cover?! That's never happened before. :o

Seriously, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing Yugi on the cover of nearly every single issue. He's on the cover of 8 issues in this year alone. That's 3/4 of the year! Shonen Jump currently has 6 manga (excluding the previews) in it. Why can't they just put a character from each one on the cover twice, then we have an evenly balanced year. I would give anything to see Hikaru, Yoh, Luffy, or Yusuke on the cover more often.

Well, I'm off to pick the next issue up somewhere.

Manjoume
25th September 2005, 1:37 AM
They need to use One Piece, Shaman King, BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo, Naruto, and Yu Yu (forgot the rest >_<) more often. I get annoyed when all they use is Atemu. *Makes Anti Atemu/Yugi banner* No more damnit! >:O

I already checked Barnes and Nobles and they had nothing. So I just got Naruto volume 1 and Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist volume 8.

Rex Kamex
25th September 2005, 7:19 PM
Whoa, Yugi is on the cover?! That's never happened before. :o

Seriously, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing Yugi on the cover of nearly every single issue. He's on the cover of 8 issues in this year alone. That's 3/4 of the year! Shonen Jump currently has 6 manga (excluding the previews) in it. Why can't they just put a character from each one on the cover twice, then we have an evenly balanced year. I would give anything to see Hikaru, Yoh, Luffy, or Yusuke on the cover more often.

Well, I'm off to pick the next issue up somewhere.

No, I mean the light-skinned Yami Yugi is on the cover. Most of the recent covers have him as the dark-skinned Pharaoh.

25th September 2005, 8:01 PM
I got back from my Local WAlden, tey didnt have it. But they did have Beet7 out, but i didnt get it.

Rex Kamex
25th September 2005, 9:38 PM
Oh yeah, also the cover mentioned that there would be "Grand Battle Secrets" for the new One Piece game, but maybe you guys already knew that. That's all I can remember.

25th September 2005, 10:17 PM
There were grandbattle secrets in lastmonths, about how to Unlock Mr 2, but they said this one has a real hook

Rex Kamex
27th September 2005, 8:38 PM
Well, I got the issue, and I've read part of it. The Grand Battle Secrets section tells you how to unlock Mr. 0 Crocodile. Also, besides the preview, every manga has two chapters in this new issue. (One Piece, though, has three.)

Naruto- The Sakura VS Ino fight leaves off when Ino uses the Shintenshin no Jutsu on Sakura.

One Piece- The flashback with Nami ends and the story continues until it leaves off right when Luffy and co. reach Arlong.

That's pretty much all I've read so far.

Korobooshi Kojiro
27th September 2005, 8:50 PM
The preview is of Bo^7 right? Presumably starting off with where the last preview ended?

Rex Kamex
27th September 2005, 9:03 PM
Well, the chapters are called Chapter 1: Challenger, and Chapter 2: It's Chuga Chuga Time, but they don't come right after Chapter One. Beauty, Gasser, and Jelly Jiggler are already in these chapters. The preview also mentions how Bo-BoBo and his friends have "just defeated the third member of the Bald Empire's Big Four." I'm not sure what chapters these really are, but they can't be two and three.

EDIT: And apparently, Ruroni Kenshin is the next preview.

27th September 2005, 9:39 PM
Well, I got the issue, and I've read part of it. The Grand Battle Secrets section tells you how to unlock Mr. 0 Crocodile. Also, besides the preview, every manga has two chapters in this new issue. (One Piece, though, has three.)

One Piece- The flashback with Nami ends and the story continues until it leaves off right when Luffy and co. reach Arlong.

That's pretty much all I've read so far.

*aoivs reading NARUTO* i love this arc, and cant wait to findout what happens...
And do you realy have to Spoil Tag One Peice? Most US people have seen it

Well, the chapters are called Chapter 1: Challenger, and Chapter 2: It's Chuga Chuga Time, but they don't come right after Chapter One. Beauty, Gasser, and Jelly Jiggler are already in these chapters. The preview also mentions how Bo-BoBo and his friends have "just defeated the third member of the Bald Empire's Big Four." I'm not sure what chapters these really are, but they can't be two and three.

EDIT: And apparently, Ruroni Kenshin is the next preview.

Wow, there just like pulling previwes outa the hat.I just read Kenshin 16... I cant rember if i read 15, but i dont think i did...
It was cool, but i like Beet better

Juputoru
28th September 2005, 12:11 AM
Comments copied from my LJ due to laziness. If it looks like a bunch of random thoughts, it's because those ARE a bunch of random thoughts. For the most part.

-Dragon Quest VIII is the free thing of the month. Might be interesting.
-There's also a holographic Embodiment of Apophis card. Yeesh, I've gotten at least 20 YGO cards from SJ by now...
-There's another long, annoying section on a YGO tournement...
-Oooo, more Naruto shirts at Hot Topic...I want one. Now. ;( Behold. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Juputoru/narutoshirts.png) The image is a tad big(file-size-wise.), just so you know.
-There's also a (not very good looking...)One Piece pinup.
-The preview of the month is...Bo^7? Didn't we have that as a preview before?
-Egypt-Kaiba(I am now referring to the ancient equivalents of the main characters as "Egypt-(their name)". It's easier that way.) is heading down the path of evil...of course. -_-
-They called Ren's kwan-dao a sword. Oi vey...how does it resemble a sword, anyway?
-It's a relief hearing...er, seeing...China called "China" after watching dub SK...
-So the SK crew'll have to face the Wu-Fu Zing-Dui-Si-Shang-Deng...I think I'll just call them "the 5-curse squad", thankyouverymuch. @_@
-We're finally at the backstory for Sakura and Ino! Yay! 8D
-HnG is good as ever...it's amazing to think that a story about Go can be so gripping, ne?
-Kuwabara manages to muster up enough willpower to keep his team in the game. Good show, I guess.
-..."Belle-Mère"? ...why? It's not a big change, but it's still irritating.
-The Arlong Arc is awesome. Enough said.

Rex Kamex
28th September 2005, 12:17 AM
And do you realy have to Spoil Tag One Peice? Most US people have seen it

Not necessarily, but there are people that probably haven't seen those particular episodes, or they just want to read how far the story goes in this issue for themselves. Or, there have been people who have heard bad things about the One Piece anime dub, so they've decided to follow One Piece through the manga, which they haven't read before it appeared in Shonen Jump.

But anyway, I've read a few more...

Yu-Gi-Oh! (Speaking of which, this issue comes with an Embodiment of Apophis card- with the trap monster dude)- Bakura comes back, and he attacks Akhenaden.

Hikaru no Go- Akira plays against a pro, like it said in the preview. That match continues in the issue after this one.

EDIT: Also speaking of Hikaru no Go, on the color page of all the books being released in October, (the same books mentioned last issue), there is also a picture of a Hikaru no Go DVD that is "now available." I've never seen the DVD, but I just thought that was interesting to share.

EDIT 2: Man, I hope I didn't repeat anything Juputoru said.

28th September 2005, 2:54 AM
-- Man, how come you guys are getting it before me... I gotta stop at Blockbuster after school tomorrow

Rex Kamex
28th September 2005, 8:13 PM
Just for the record, one of the funniest attacks in this issue in BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo is the "Fist of the Nose Hair Kamehameha". It's an attack where Bo-BoBo goes behind a picture board with a picture of Krillin, Piccolo, and Goku (who is putting his hands in the way that he does the Kamehameha). It doesn't work, but it's still funny.

28th September 2005, 8:29 PM
Just for the record, one of the funniest attacks in this issue in BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo is the "Fist of the Nose Hair Kamehameha". It's an attack where Bo-BoBo goes behind a picture board with a picture of Krillin, Piccolo, and Goku (who is putting his hands in the way that he does the Kamehameha). It doesn't work, but it's still funny.
XD I rember in the first preview, when they were going to the Wiggn' Empire, that guy went 'Red card Red card Yu-Gi-Oh Card'
Bo^7 Is realy weird. I think im gonna buy it

PS i just enterd the Naruto artwork contest. Wish me luck!

Rex Kamex
28th September 2005, 11:06 PM
Speaking of contests, you know what would be cool? A manga contest in Shonen Jump. People could enter their own "mangas" to Shonen Jump, and one lucky winner could have their manga in Shonen Jump! (Not permanently, just at the beginning of one issue.) If Shonen Jump ever decides to do that, I'll enter. If they do, the manga should still be in right-to-left format. It seems cooler than the regular manga previews.

Juputoru
28th September 2005, 11:08 PM
-- Man, how come you guys are getting it before me...
It's called "subscribing". :)

Fanga(hey, I made a new word!) submissions would be interesting. I just hope whatever ran would be better than 90% of the fanfics out there...

29th September 2005, 1:17 AM

Fanga(hey, I made a new word!) submissions would be interesting. I just hope whatever ran would be better than 90% of the fanfics out there...
I know but i thought you got them on like the 30th or somthing...
damn you subscribers...
I could turn my stories into a Fanga! toobad my drawing stinks

Rex Kamex
29th September 2005, 8:41 PM

Or just walking into a store and noticing that it came early. :)

Then again about the contest, they don't have to limit to one in just one issue. They could just put a different fan manga in each issue for the next few issues. But I wonder what the chances are of them having a contest.

29th September 2005, 8:58 PM
Or just walking into a store and noticing that it came early. :)

Then again about the contest, they don't have to limit to one in just one issue. They could just put a different fan manga in each issue for the next few issues. But I wonder what the chances are of them having a contest.

Or they could Relese Like a ' Otaku Jump' or somthing like that

Rex Kamex
1st October 2005, 12:50 AM
Maybe. Either way, either the manga or mangas (if in an "Otaku Jump"-like magazine) will continue each month, which I don't think people will necessarily commit to, or they'll show a different manga (or mangas again) in the book. Tokyo Pop has done manga contests before, so maybe this could inspire Shonen Jump to do the same...

1st October 2005, 6:37 PM
Yea, Tokyopop does that 'Rising Stars of Manga' thing. SJ/VIZ could do the same.

Rex Kamex
4th October 2005, 10:57 PM
Okay, today is the day that the new issue is supposed to come out, so by now, many of you should already have it. For those of you who still don't have it, here's what to look for... (http://store.viz.com/product/MGS050008/b.SHONENJUMP+SJ2005/s.4KPgc027?IMG=z)

4th October 2005, 11:04 PM
Okay, today is the day that the new issue is supposed to come out, so by now, many of you should already have it. For those of you who still don't have it, here's what to look for... (http://store.viz.com/product/MGS050008/b.SHONENJUMP+SJ2005/s.4KPgc027?IMG=z)
Yea, i just got it, Ive realy only read Naruto so far, next im gonna read HnG then Yugioh, Bobobo, Shaman king, and onepeice last, like always.
I think we'll get more Naruto chapters once the Anime is close to catchiing up with the manga (so around the time Ooruchimaru apperes, probly)

Manjoume
4th October 2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks sher.

Li3k omg!!! Ultra rare card!! I wonder what it could be. :rolleyes: I think I have an idea of what is is. :P

Rex Kamex
5th October 2005, 12:10 AM
I said it in one of my earler posts. It's Embodiment of Aphopis. It's got the same effect as the anime.

Manjoume
5th October 2005, 12:18 AM
Yep. I know. Whenever they have a special card pack preview they release "a rare card" then a few months after that they send it out in Shonen Jump. =D

5th October 2005, 1:31 AM
I wish theyed do other cards aside from Yugioh and Onepeice. Id love to get a Shaman King card. and a Naruto card when they inevitably come to america

Chris
5th October 2005, 6:52 AM
Ugh, has anyone else STILL not received their Shonen Jump? Cause I sure as hell still haven't gotten mine and it ain't cause my subscription ended since I renewed it two months ago for a full year. ¬¬ This isn't the first time it's late as hell, either.

Poison Master
5th October 2005, 6:00 PM
so what is the free One Piece poster? I'm guessing another full page colour spread?

5th October 2005, 8:07 PM
so what is the free One Piece poster? I'm guessing another full page colour spread?
yup, its got Nami, Zoro, and Luffy.
i realy dont see why they changed it to Zolo in the manga. thats dumb.

Poison Master
5th October 2005, 10:44 PM
damn, so no Usopp or Sanji on the cover? I was hoping they would be on lol

6th October 2005, 2:50 AM
damn, so no Usopp or Sanji on the cover? I was hoping they would be on lol
not on the pinup, but there in the manga if thats any consolation.

Chris
6th October 2005, 7:54 AM
So I finally got my issue.

I died laughing reading BoBoBo. Everyone at work looked at me weird in the resting lounge while I read it. x_x; BoBoBo setting up the meal and then immediately sliding across the table to knock off the dishes was HILARIOUS. Loved the Dragon Ball parody (makes sense since the creator of BoBoBo is also a fan of the Dragon Ball manga).

Damn One Piece got me at the edge of my seat as Luffy smashed through Arlong's gate, asking for him. @_o; Hate having to wait to see what happens next.

I gotta say, at first I wasn't all too interested in the YuYu Hakusho manga since I was up to date on the anime version of where the manga is. But it got me much more interested since we're in the Demon Tournament. Probably got me interested after seeing Toguru flick that fat man's top of his head right off with his two fingers. >_>; Quite a mess that was.

And the real treat was the Dragon Quest VIII demo. I terribly want this game. Now. Why is November so far away? XD

6th October 2005, 8:48 PM
I take it Mr. Elric Likes his Manga violent?
Bo-BoBo was good as always, and Jelly's car helped me pass my Japanese test.
They should put Bo-BoBo in from the begening, that would be cool.

Manjoume
7th October 2005, 12:54 AM
Err... thanks Ed, for spoiling BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo for me. >_> Just kidding. ;P

Though I still have to get the November issue, I don't mind it.

7th October 2005, 9:13 PM
I decided to do this funny little thing, the best lines of this months SJ.
BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo
"How are we gonna get there?"
"Why, just take the train from THis Station!"
"THERE"S A TRAINSTATION HERE!!?
SINCE WHEN!!?"

"FIST OF THE NOSE HAIR KAMEHAMEHA!"
"THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WIND!"

"I am The Tragic Heroine, Pappa Rocks!"

"THERE ARE LITTLEMEN IN THE TREES!!! IM NOT KIDDING YOU!!!!"

"WAAAAHH!!!! TINY MEN BEING SLAUGHTERED! "

Meh, im to bored to do any more.

Manjoume
9th October 2005, 2:53 AM
God damn, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo was funny as hell.

-Dragonball Z
-Ultimate Muscle
was used in this manga

Blood spewing everywhere and the puppy getting kicked.

Also when he said he must save the aliens and then punching them when he couldn't understand them.

I love the BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo manga. It is the funniest manga that I have ever read. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

*goes to find fansubbed manga*

Rex Kamex
10th October 2005, 11:01 PM
So I finally got my issue.

I died laughing reading BoBoBo. Everyone at work looked at me weird in the resting lounge while I read it. x_x; BoBoBo setting up the meal and then immediately sliding across the table to knock off the dishes was HILARIOUS. Loved the Dragon Ball parody (makes sense since the creator of BoBoBo is also a fan of the Dragon Ball manga).

Speaking of which, I noticed that in one panel Kanemaru had some kanji signs on the buttons he was wearing, but in another or others they read "Hunter".

Damn One Piece got me at the edge of my seat as Luffy smashed through Arlong's gate, asking for him. @_o; Hate having to wait to see what happens next.

Yeah, the episode ended there too, at least in the dub.

Speaking of One Piece, it was funny how in the last issue Sanji accidentally knocked Usopp out. It would've been a shame if that was his real death.

11th October 2005, 1:25 AM
I realy liked Naruto this month. I cant wait to see how 'Naruto helps her'

Riaf
11th October 2005, 1:40 AM
I forget, where is Naruto in the Shounen Jump magazine?

Rex Kamex
11th October 2005, 1:44 AM
He's in the cover of the October 2005 issue, but if you meant where the Naruto story is in the latest issue, Sakura and Ino are fighting...

Dogasu
12th October 2005, 1:03 AM
I got to catch up on all the Shonen Jump I missed this weekend:

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: This was hilarious. Reading this reminded me of reading the old Ben Edlund Tick comics, in that they were genuinely funny. My favorite part was when the aliens were all saying something like "Why must we suffer so!?!?!?" I also liked the part where Beauty woke up and saw all those dead aliens outside her window.

When is the graphic novel coming out, anyway? I went to Barnes and Nobles today and didn't see it on the shelf at all.

One Piece: It's nice to see Bellemere's death, in English, the way it was meant to be shown. While I'm still not happy with some of the dub influences (calling Cocoyashi Village "Coco Village," or calling the Marines "Navy" when their hats and shirts clearly have the word "Marine" on them), it was still a good chapter. While I think the anime pulled some things off better (like Nami's arm-stabbing scene), it was still a very powerful chapter that's a great set-up to the Arlong fight. THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why One Piece is such a great series.

Naruto: This chapter was pretty interesting. I wish this damn Chuunin exam would hurry up and finish (it feels like we've been doing this thing forever now), but at least it's keeping me entertained. I always enjoy seeing Sakura do something other than getting her useless *** rescued every other chapter, so this was a good chapter for me. I'm interested to see how she'll avoid Ino's attack.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Speaking of drawn-out story arcs, when the hell are we going to get out of this "Yugi in ancient Egypt" stuff? I mean, it's interesting and all, but I'm getting a little tired of the Egyptian setting.

Yu Yu Hakusho Pretty uninteresting, other than seeing that Toguro brother flick that guy's head off. Very messy. It also makes me wonder why Shonen Jump will keep stuff like that unedited but will break out the digital editing equipment when it comes to silly things like the middle finger.

Hikaru no Go: I don't know why I'm so fascinated by this series, I really don't. The game it's based on doesn't seem that interesting, the characters don't stand out to me at all, and the plot of the manga is mediocre at best. So why am I keep reading this manga, month after month, as fanatically as I have been? It doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, not knowing the outcome of the Akira/Oza match is killing me.

Dragon Quest VIII Demo: I don't have an American PS2, so I can't play this game right away. I played it when it came out in Japan a year ago, so I already know that it's a pretty fun game.

----------------

In other Shonen Jump news, I was going to go and pick up Deathnote Volume 1 earlier today, but I looked inside the front cover and noticed that Viz put its standard "The art has been modified from the original Japanese version" blurb. Does Viz leave ANY of its manga alone these days!?

Manjoume
12th October 2005, 1:12 AM
The BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo manga volume one is coming out November 1.

Yu-Gi-Oh! has a while before it is done. XD

EDIT: Made a mistake. :X

12th October 2005, 1:27 AM
In other Shonen Jump news, I was going to go and pick up Deathnote Volume 1 earlier today, but I looked inside the front cover and noticed that Viz put its standard "The art has been modified from the original Japanese version" blurb. Does Viz leave ANY of its manga alone these days!?
Yea, I saw that in I"s, VIZ is VIZ man, let it go. I'm just hopeing they dont do things with Decendents of Darkness that remove from the story line. But thats a VIZ manga, and not Shonen Jump

Manjoume
12th October 2005, 1:40 AM
Viz has been trying to get money from the Graphic Novels by selling them on their site. And the worst part is, that the shipping is six dollars. :X

http://store.viz.com/product/GNVVV0085/s.SYUJPGnj BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo
http://store.viz.com/product/GNVVV0095/s.SYUJPGnj DeathNote one
http://store.viz.com/product/GNVVV0091/b.DEATHNOTE/s.SYUJPGnj DeathNote two |Preorder|

12th October 2005, 1:44 AM
6Bucks!?!?! What a rip off, i could almost get another SJ novel witht that

Rex Kamex
12th October 2005, 9:05 PM
The BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo manga volume one is coming out November 1.

Yu-Gi-Oh! has a while before it is done. XD

EDIT: Made a mistake. :X

Yeah, and there really isn't much in the present time after it when its done. We're currently in Volume 35 of Yu-Gi-Oh! (MX #3), and this arc doesn't end until Volume 38 (MW #6).

Lord Lonic
27th October 2005, 2:24 AM
i realy dont see why they changed it to Zolo in the manga. thats dumb.

It was change for the same reasons why it was changed in the anime, the name looks alot like the name of the character Zorro. Either way, as Edward Elric once pointed out, it's not that bad of a name change (unless you have seen the wanted poster on the Japanese version of One Piece that spells Zoro, which, sadly, I have. Not to much of a big deal, though). Plus [to me, for some reason], it sometimes sounds like the characters call him "Zolo" in the Japanese version.

Anyway, I'm not sure if someone has already pointed this out, but why were the Naruto mangas recalled and censored? Here is an example: on the first issue, it shows an old remeberance of Naruto flipping the bird at Iruka and saying "Up Yours Iruka". How ever, in the re-release, they censored his middle fingers off, and made it look like he's shaking his fist instead, not to mention "Up Yours Iruka" was changed to "Nyaa! Nyaa! Master Iruka!". Also, any mentioning of the word "dick" was changed to "jerk". WTF?

Manjoume
27th October 2005, 3:19 AM
Anyway, I'm not sure if someone has already pointed this out, but why were the Naruto mangas recalled and censored? Here is an example: on the first issue, it shows an old remeberance of Naruto flipping the bird at Iruka and saying "Up Yours Iruka". How ever, in the re-release, they censored his middle fingers off, and made it look like he's shaking his fist instead, not to mention "Up Yours Iruka" was changed to "Nyaa! Nyaa! Master Iruka!". Also, any mentioning of the word "dick" was changed to "jerk". WTF?
Viz Media is paranoid. >_>

Hell, they censored Jonouchi's middle finger, censor damn, piss (and the others), and hell (when used like, "What the hell?!"). And they are censoring asses now too. Wow!

What the hell is so bad about a middle finger? Wouldn't someones arm getting chopped off and blood going all over be worse? :rolleyes:

And also Viz Media makes TONS of mistakes. Even simple ones. I don't even know what the hell is their problem. I just hope they don't convert back to the old Viz.....

27th October 2005, 3:21 AM
It was change for the same reasons why it was changed in the anime, the name looks alot like the name of the character Zorro. Either way, as Edward Elric once pointed out, it's not that bad of a name change (unless you have seen the wanted poster on the Japanese version of One Piece that spells Zoro, which, sadly, I have. Not to much of a big deal, though). Plus [to me, for some reason], it sometimes sounds like the characters call him "Zolo" in the Japanese version.

Good thing I got the Naruto 1 before that happened, Ill look next time im in the bookstore.
Zoro sounds like Zolo in the JP anime because the 'R' Lines are like L and R combound, a sound thats not easy for westerners to make (We just leaned it in Japanese, its incredily difficult)

Lord Lonic
27th October 2005, 8:19 PM
Viz Media is paranoid. >_>

Hell, they censored Jonouchi's middle finger, censor damn, piss (and the others), and hell (when used like, "What the hell?!"). And they are censoring asses now too. Wow!

What the hell is so bad about a middle finger? Wouldn't someones arm getting chopped off and blood going all over be worse? :rolleyes:

And also Viz Media makes TONS of mistakes. Even simple ones. I don't even know what the hell is their problem. I just hope they don't convert back to the old Viz.....

I know what you mean. It's like the Dragon Ball Z part o the Dragon Ball manga. They cut all nudity out, yet keep the swearing and all violence, and still market it at an A for Anyone rating. Would a parent really want a kid reading a manga like that? Hell no. Next thing you know, they are going to recall all issues of [the original] Dragon Ball, and censor the nudity like they did last time. I just understand Viz. If it's allright to have all nudity in the Dragon Ball (which is at a T for Teens rating) and Inu-Yasha, then why is it not allright to have in I''s, DBZ and Dr. Slump?

I can pretty much go as far as dubbing Viz the 4Kids of manga now.

Rex Kamex
29th October 2005, 5:48 PM
Soooooo.......... anybody got the December 2005 issue yet?

Yellow Bommen
29th October 2005, 10:57 PM
I'm probably going to get the December 2005 issue tommorow at Blockbuster or the mall. I wish that they put Death Note in the mag- it's probably my favorite Shonen Jump manga. It has great artwork (what you'd expect from the artist of Hikaru no Go), and it has one of the best storylines. I never know what's going to happen next and it's really exciting.

30th October 2005, 1:18 AM
OH yea, were probly gonna find out what the new manga is next month!

wish that they put Death Note in the mag- it's probably my favorite Shonen Jump manga. It has great artwork (what you'd expect from the artist of Hikaru no Go), and it has one of the best storylines. I never know what's going to happen next and it's really exciting.

Aint gonna happen, Vol 1 is out and 2 is pReorder ( i think)

Rex Kamex
31st October 2005, 12:51 AM
OH yea, were probly gonna find out what the new manga is next month!

Ruroni Kenshin.

Anyway, I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow. Hopefully I'll find it. The actual release date is Tuesday, but since the last issue came early, I hope this one will, too.

31st October 2005, 1:23 AM
Realy? There gonna start running RuronKen inplace of DBZ? or are you just talking preview

Rex Kamex
31st October 2005, 7:19 PM
Just the preview.

Anyway, I have the new issue, so...

RURONI KENSHIN IS ON THE COVER!!!

Rurouni Kenshin- This is actually just a sneak peek of Volume 21. I haven't read it, though.

Naruto- Finally, it has three chapters. (I don't think it's had this many since March's issue.) There were four fights in this issue. The Sakura VS Ino one ended in a draw, but neither of them were allowed to go past the preliminaries. The second one was TenTen and Temari, and Temari won, though we didn't really see the actual fight. The third one was Shikamaru VS Kin, and Shikamaru won. The fourth one was Naruto against Kiba, and that fight didn't end yet.

One Piece- This issue's chapters are making the story more interesting. Luffy's own Gum Gum attack gets him stuck in the ground, and since he cant move, Arlong throws him into the water. The rest of the crew (except Nami) fights Kuroobi, Hachi, and that other fish-man I forgot the name of. EDIT: Also, the Buggy Side Story has been over for a while, but this issue began the Koby and Helmeppo side story at the beginning of each chapter.

YuYu Hakusho- I never read it.

Hikaru no Go- It was an exciting game, since both players were playing all out. Surprisingly, Akira resigned. It looks like Hikaru is going to visit the Haze Go Club in the next issue.

Yu-Gi-Oh!- Now these chapters were really good. Yami Bakura decided he could make Akhenaden work for him. We really didn't see what Yami Bakura did, but in the end, Akhenaden was unconscious. As he escaped, Yami Yugi chased him on his horse. He summoned Slifer the Sky Dragon while Yami Bakura summoned Diabound. They were headed through the city. Also, Yugi and his friends spotted the Pharaoh.

Shaman King- Yoh managed to rescue Ren, so they began to try and get to the top of the castle to fight Ren's father.

The next issue is supposed to have the Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon card in it or something.

Juputoru
31st October 2005, 11:23 PM
Copied from my LJ. Haven't you figured out that I tend to do that by now?

-OMFG. KENSHIN IS ON THE COVER? IT'S AN ACT OF GOD!
-Hmm, a Naruto cheat shee...er, "Naruto For Beginners".
-Naruto lunchboxes? XD ...I want one >_>
-OMG HnG DVD IS OUT DEC. 27! 8O
-A RuroKen preview...from Volume 21. >_>
-Neither Sakura nor Ino moves on. Eh.
-Shikamaru's match is here! 8D
-And he wins, of course. 8D
-Naruo VS Kiba. I know who's gonna win...for various reasons >_>
-Note that I'm just skimming over this right now...
-Akira lost. Eh again.
-Of COURSE the Pharoh summons Silfer. @_@
-Eh...the Memories arc is starting to get old...
-The 5-curse squad...BATTLE TIME!
-"It'll all work out" ...*dies* 8D
-Can't SJ ever do a quiz that's DIFFICULT? :/

Oh well. Who cares? SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE PHAROH IS ON THE COVER! AND IT'S KENSHIN! 8D

Yeah, I was just skimming through ;/

Chris
1st November 2005, 1:55 AM
-OMFG. KENSHIN IS ON THE COVER? IT'S AN ACT OF GOD!
Don't worry. We'll be forsaken next month again with another Yu-Gi-Oh! cover. ;\

I'm having difficulty understanding why they even bothered with that. It's like, they took a part of the middle of the series and slapped a chapter or two into SJ. Anyone who hasn't even read the previous 20 tankouban would be COMPLETELY lost. I know I sure as hell was lost on what was up with the guys appearing. o_O;

-Can't SJ ever do a quiz that's DIFFICULT? :/
'course not. SJ says it's rated T, but it acts more like it's rated A for All Ages. ;\ They've completely catered to the kiddies.

Oh well. Who cares? SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE PHAROH IS ON THE COVER! AND IT'S KENSHIN! 8D
Again, that won't last for very long. :P

If it's allright to have all nudity in the Dragon Ball (which is at a T for Teens rating) and Inu-Yasha, then why is it not allright to have in I''s, DBZ and Dr. Slump?
Dr. Slump is a kid oriented manga. Toriyama's had Senbei say this multiple times before. I don't think anyone's gonna exactly flip over not seeing Peasuke's thing. Hell, it's funnier seeing him with nothing down there since it just adds more to the fact that Dr. Slump is a gag manga and everyone in the manga takes advantage of it and knows very well they're in a manga. What I don't agree with in Slump, however, is renaming alcohol into "super punch" which somehow makes it a bad thing that kids shouldn't drink. o_O; If it's about kids possibly thinking it's okay to drink alcohol, Viz should've read into it that Arale and Akane get into trouble each time they get caught with the stuff. Especially Akane. We see Taro with his ciggy while riding motorbikes at a young age and getting yelled at for it, yet somehow they change alcohol into "super punch."

1st November 2005, 2:06 AM
This issue sounds cool. there probly gonna start doing more Naruto chapters to keep ahead of the Anime , and not make the same mistakes as OnePeice, i already know whatll happen, but i like the Manga better, cause the blood gets left in. DAMN YOU 4KIDS!!!

The next issue is supposed to have the Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon card in it or something.

That Blueeyes Shining Dragon i got from the Movie will be useful now!

Manjoume
1st November 2005, 2:27 AM
Yeah. :/

As much as I like the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG, Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon shouldn't have been released in America. I rather see it be released in a pack and made an Ultimate Rare, then in Shonen Jump. It is too uber powerful and fanboys and some fangirls, veins will pop when they find out. And you get it for.... 4.99 (not adding tax).

Meh, still got to get this months issue (and I'm still behind on my other mangas) >_<

They kind of did that to BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo. When we first got it, it was an older version, hence why Don Patch didn't look like he did when the next preview came and in the anime, they skipped pretty far in the manga, which annoyed me even though it was a very funny two chapters.

Citrus Man
1st November 2005, 2:35 AM
Omigawd, I ahte Kenshin. TO THE EXTREME! I don't know why, I just always have.And I admit they gave Yu-Gi-Ho! a more literal meaning now, but hey, you win some and lose alot.

Rex Kamex
2nd November 2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah. :/

As much as I like the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG, Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon shouldn't have been released in America. I rather see it be released in a pack and made an Ultimate Rare, then in Shonen Jump. It is too uber powerful and fanboys and some fangirls, veins will pop when they find out. And you get it for.... 4.99 (not adding tax).

It's powerful, but it requires four more cards to actually be able to play it. (I'd still need another Blue Eyes to play it anyway.) The card, though, should grab the attention of many people, so more will by the next issue. (Or the exact opposite will happen and nobody will notice it.)

And about Naruto, the anime'll pass it eventually. The only way it won't is if we get four chapters a month. (Also, even if One Piece didn't skip and merge a bunch of episodes, the anime dub would still be ahead.)

Chris
2nd November 2005, 1:09 AM
And now you understand why filler sagas are made to anime based on manga. Especially Naruto, which had tons of hour specials, causing it to have to stay way behind the manga with fillers due to there not being much done currently in the manga.

2nd November 2005, 10:09 PM
I just got this months (well i did yesterday, but i wasnt feeling well) Alright, Naruto was Awsome! 3 fights, and TenTen got her but kicked, never liked her... I liked Yu Yu, Puu's first apperence! Everything else wasnt bad, and HnG Was perfect as always, but i notaced alot of 'crap' in Onepeice, Literaly, they say Crap alot inthere. Anyway, Yea Beet 8, cant wait to see wich Zenon warrior is still alive. Ill bet its Alslide, cause we didnt see alot of him before the Beltorzie battle that 'Killed' them.

Rex Kamex
16th November 2005, 10:36 PM
Bad news, guys, but according to this (http://store.viz.com/searchres/s.Oro3Ct0H?QSTextInput=SHONEN+JUMP-+January+2006&RequiredFields=&FormFields=QSTextInput%3Fgo&go.x=2&go.y=10), the trading card issues are sold out. I guess so many people preordered them that the makers ran out of cards. When the next issue comes out, I'm gonna look for a card anyway.

Either "fanga", or "wanga" (wannabe manga). The famous ones could become "fanimes" or "wanimes"! XD

Also, if Shonen Jump had a fanga/manga/wanga (aw, just stick with fanga), should the winner do at least one chapter in each issue for perhaps a graphic novel's worth of chapters or just one chapter? Then again, I guess that would depend on if the winner feels up to it.

Or, could the winner's comic also be translated into Japanese? (Provided that it doesn't have any American jokes that can't be translated unless Japan uses completely new jokes.) I've always wanted that to happen with me. Why leave the Japanese out of this?

16th November 2005, 10:48 PM
Bad news, guys, but according to this (http://store.viz.com/searchres/s.Oro3Ct0H?QSTextInput=SHONEN+JUMP-+January+2006&RequiredFields=&FormFields=QSTextInput%3Fgo&go.x=2&go.y=10), the trading card issues are sold out. I guess so many people preordered them that the makers ran out of cards. When the next issue comes out, I'm gonna look for a card anyway.

My God, sold out already? People want that BEUD card, but watch it not be BEUD. I'll Laugh.

Anyway, accordinging to theOtaku.com, The next Shonen Jump (JAN06) Is spose to be the Biggest one YET, at about 395 pages, but i'll double check.

Uchiha Obito
23rd November 2005, 3:53 AM
um, hello!! I have the 2 latest issues of shonen jump, i've only started to read them. Are you sure you get BEUD in the next shonen jump issue?

Rex Kamex
23rd November 2005, 4:11 PM
If you see the preview for the January 2006 issue, it'll say how you'll get a Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon card in that issue.

Anyway, accordinging to theOtaku.com, The next Shonen Jump (JAN06) Is spose to be the Biggest one YET, at about 395 pages, but i'll double check.

It should be true since Anime News Network mentions that as well.

By the way, guys, don't worry about that Yu-Gi-Oh! memory arc. It should start to get good in the next few (or many) chapters.

Yuugis Black Magician
26th November 2005, 3:36 PM
What do you know, SJM on BLack Friday...

Haha, that's right my poptarts, I just got my Magazine (of course now it's darn near 7:30 AM the next day) and boy was it HUGE!!!

392 pages long, along with one BEUD and a DVD with the first episode of HnG!!!

The Gin Tama preview, of which I read at this very moment, is pretty funny, at 55 pages long. There was one new chapter of HnG (with some colored pages) and then a special chapter where they play out an historic Go game (Gin Tama also had some color pages too).

Naruto went from had three chapters where Naruto won his fight and Hinata began hers.

One Piece (with some color pages) was three chapters as well, Zoro and Sanji beat their respective opponents, and Arlong got really ****** off.

IN SK, Yoh and the others begin to fight Yuan, Ren's dad, but they soon find, he may indeed, be immortal.

In YGO, we only get two chapters in which Pharaoh hunts down Bakura and Diabound with Osiris.

And finally, two Chapters of YYH, in which the second is in complete color!! The Semi-Finals begin, and so does Yuusuke's final test...

Like I said, gret extras this week, look for another YGO card next week, the Exchange of the Spirit and a preview of Black Cats (of which alwell with Gin Tama is bound to wind up in SJA if the fans like them).

See you guys next month.

P.S. Dark Yuugi is on the cover again, but it is only fitting as he holds the BEUD.....

26th November 2005, 5:25 PM
Damn, I'll bet my bottem doller that the HnG DVD isnt for us normal people who buy it. Oh well, I deffinitly intend to buy the anime. All those color pages sound like fun.

Yuugis Black Magician
26th November 2005, 9:03 PM
Damn, I'll bet my bottem doller that the HnG DVD isnt for us normal people who buy it. Oh well, I deffinitly intend to buy the anime. All those color pages sound like fun.

LOL, yeah probably.

BTW, The Ocean Group does the dubbing, meaning we've got Brad Swaile as Sai, LOL, the actors for the the kids all sound like kids. I'm glad they kept in all the music, though.

By the way, don't forget the second chapter of YYH is completely in COLOR!!

Oh yeah, new GNs coming out December 6th are going to be YGO MW Vol. 2, YGO D Vol. 11, RK Vol. 21, Eyeshield21 Vol. 5, and uh...forget what else there is...

YoshiAngemon
26th November 2005, 10:23 PM
Hmmm, if it won't come with Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon, then it might end up coming with a monster used by Jaden Yuki, like Elemental Hero Flame Wingman, or one of Dr. Crowler's monsters, like Ancient Gear Golem! Or even Chazz's Chthonian Soldier!

Rex Kamex
28th November 2005, 11:17 PM
Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hikaru no Go?!?!?!

PLEASE TELL ME THAT IT ISN'T JUST FOR SUBSCRIBERS.

(Then again, if it was only for subscribers that would make sense because it wasn't mentioned in the previous issue.)

YoshiAngemon
1st December 2005, 12:57 PM
Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi-Hikaru no Go?!?!?!

PLEASE TELL ME THAT IT ISN'T JUST FOR SUBSCRIBERS.

(Then again, if it was only for subscribers that would make sense because it wasn't mentioned in the previous issue.)

Nope. It's not for subscribers, because anyone can buy the DVDs. It's all a matter of where you can get them. Naruto DVDs, too.

Rex Kamex
1st December 2005, 11:28 PM
Nope. It's not for subscribers, because anyone can buy the DVDs. It's all a matter of where you can get them. Naruto DVDs, too.

I meant that particular DVD. The actual ones aren't supposed to come out until December 26.

Mimori Kiryu
1st December 2005, 11:46 PM
I meant that particular DVD. The actual ones aren't supposed to come out until December 26.

I believe it is, because I'm watching it right now. :D

It's pretty good actually. I don't think that this issue January 2006 is the biggest issue because back in 2003, there was a 400 page one. I have every issue since they first came out and there are several that are bigger than this one. >_<

Rex Kamex
2nd December 2005, 2:33 AM
Maybe they figured that nobody would notice.:p

So you're saying you can get a DVD without subscribing to Jump? (I'm just making sure since this is unbelievable for me, even though I have seen two certain Hikaru no Go episodes before...)

Yuugis Black Magician
2nd December 2005, 2:31 PM
Umm, dude, SJ switch papers to save money, 4.1 is still the largest in page count.

Rex Kamex
3rd December 2005, 9:48 PM
Well, I got my issue of Jump (finally), and so...

Naruto- Wow, Naruto's move was... gee, something that I'd expect the Flea to do... No wait, that wasn't the move.

One Piece- Each chapter had a different fish-man battling the Strawhat crew. The first one was Zolo VS Hachi, the second Sanji VS Kuroobi, and the third one Usopp VS Chu or Choo or whatever.

Hikaru no Go- Dang, Akari actually hurt Hikaru in the chapter! The bonus episode thingy was okay.

Yu-Gi-Oh!- The same thing as what was shown on TV without the Millennium Item flashback.

The others I didn't read. Oh, and I never got that DVD, so it must've been for subscribers only.

7th December 2005, 9:08 PM
>>Damn Subscribers only bonuses.
I loved the Gin Tama Preview. I am getting that manga, it was Funny. Naruto was good ,I'm looking foward to onext months.

Shynttaka
8th December 2005, 2:19 AM
The voices in the Show were horrible!! That's all I have to say.

Eon Chao
8th December 2005, 10:53 PM
Well I'm sat here in the loverly wet UK waiting for my January Shonen Jumps to arrive...but hopefully the fact that my comic shop preordered them in october should mean I get all 5 BEUD I wanted. And does this mean Exchange of Spirit is in the Febuary issue? if so thats cool.

Yellow Bommen
14th December 2005, 2:16 AM
I didn't get my January issue yet, I hope to get it soon. I don't want to miss out on anything... ^^;

Rex Kamex
16th December 2005, 12:06 AM
I am glad that the BEUD cards weren't sold out after all.

There was something that I was wondering about One Piece. Currently, One Piece has released Volume 39 in Japan, going on 40 later this month. One Piece in America is still on Volume 10 material, releasing Volume 9 in January. So I was wondering how long do you think One Piece will last in Jump?

I'm not sure if it'll stay or not, but the same situation happened with Yu-Gi-Oh! as well (even though the DUELIST material was already shown on TV anyway). Do you think One Piece will stay in Jump for a long time or stop when they reach the Grand Line? I have a feeling that they might start releasing the rest of the series in something called "One Piece: The Grand Line". I know that isn't the best title, and I personally wouldn't want this to happen, but what do you guys think?

16th December 2005, 3:16 AM
Hopefuly not. They didnt change the DBZ title when they pulled it from Jump, so i doubt the same would happen to One Peice.