PDA

View Full Version : Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

master of murkrow
20th March 2011, 12:51 AM
On a lot of other threads there are questions about EV/IV training and other stuff like the wing's on the bridges in pokemon B/W. Well here can you discuss all this stuff. Just talk about your experience and what you are training right now. And of course all the Serebiiforums rules apply here as well.

Hope you have a great time discussing!

DarumakkaImposter
20th March 2011, 4:02 AM
well.. im training Emboar and Chandelure in sp. attack and Defense and im training gigalith in attack, defense, speed, sp.attack and defense

SuperWeb606
20th March 2011, 4:03 AM
Are wings useful at ALL? They just seem like such a small boost...

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 4:04 AM
I'm training my Salamence in attack and speed. ;) With the moveset Dragon Dance Outrage Flamethrower and Erathquake.

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 4:05 AM

If you can collect 252 of them, they are worth it. :)

DarumakkaImposter
20th March 2011, 4:05 AM

well if you find and save enough then it will really add up the EVs

I'm training my Salamence in attack and speed. ;) With the moveset Dragon Dance Outrage Flamethrower and Erathquake.

thats what mine knows except outrage.

Xaby
20th March 2011, 4:06 AM
If you can collect 252 of them, they are worth it. :)
152 will do. Just give the first 100 EVs in Vitamins.

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 4:06 AM
What's his other move Darumakka? :O

DarumakkaImposter
20th March 2011, 4:08 AM
What's his other move Darumakka? :O

crunch. hes adamant so he has some goos IVs in attack. hes also mischeivos

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 4:11 AM
Ah mines jolly for cometitive battling purposes and I replaced my crunch with earthquake for better coverage in the team. :)

Xaby
20th March 2011, 4:11 AM
crunch. hes adamant so he has some goos IVs in attack. hes also mischeivos
I know it's starting to get OP but why Crunch? Salamence with no STAB?

And just to note, natures doesn't mean it has good IVs for that stat. It could have a +ATK nature but it's ATK IVs could still be crap.

Trainer Frankie
20th March 2011, 4:23 AM
Kinda annoyed. I tryed making an ev training thread days ago, and it wasn't put through. If it wasn't up to par, they could have helped me make it better. But it wasn't much different then how this intro post is. Eh, just another thing that makes me not like this forum.

Anyway, I've been ev training while going through the main game. I kinda stopped progessing the story after I got access to the Driftveil Drawbridge. Want to focus the evs and max them up so I can use the pokemon I've been training. So far one is very well ev trained imo. I made sure I watched what evs it got. Others have some stray evs, but hopefully can still focus the rest they can get.

DarumakkaImposter
20th March 2011, 4:30 AM
I know it's starting to get OP but why Crunch? Salamence with no STAB?

And just to note, natures doesn't mean it has good IVs for that stat. It could have a +ATK nature but it's ATK IVs could still be crap.

meh...the ones ive gotten have got some good ivs

Low Lines
20th March 2011, 4:38 AM
Hi guys,
I recently written up an EV Trainer written in PHP (for the Web), but so far the only feedback I've gotten has been from my little sister who's tried using it with her game.

Here's the link if anyone's interested in trialing it...
http://llref.emutalk.net/projects/pokemonev/
Just click on "Demo Version" and it will take you to the EV Trainer App.

Basically its meant to take away all the thinking involved with EV Training, ie you don't have to calculate how many points you get from a battle, etc.

One thing my sister pointed out to me however, is if you add one too many points (and you haven't hit "apply" recently) its a bit tricky to take back those points. I'm going to add a fix for that in the next version however I would like a bit more feedback first.

Another idea I had was to include a search filter for selecting your opponent so like you could specify by name or what stats they give points for in case you don't know already. But again it's more something I'll probably include in a future version after I get a bit of feedback...

Trainer Frankie
20th March 2011, 4:40 AM
And why is the max evs a pokemon can get 510 when only 508 would be the most you could get added points to stats with?

Low Lines
20th March 2011, 4:44 AM
And why is the max evs a pokemon can get 510 when only 508 would be the most you could get added points to stats with?

They're still points (as far as I understand) that get counted towards your total, it's just they won't make up a whole stat point. I wrote it based on how serebii.net explains it.

Xaby
20th March 2011, 4:48 AM
It gives you a 2 point leeway in case you make a mistake on your count. At least that's why I'm thankful for that fact.

Trainer Frankie
20th March 2011, 4:48 AM
Huh? It takes four ev points as I understand it to even add a point to the stat.

Xaby
20th March 2011, 4:51 AM
Huh? It takes four ev points as I understand it to even add a point to the stat.
I mean, for example, you missed count and fought 253 Lillipups for ATK EVs, it's not the end of the world for your EV build yet, unlike if the EV limit is 508.

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 4:56 AM
You can also decrease your pokes to UT status using berries if you messed up. ;)

Trainer Frankie
20th March 2011, 4:57 AM
I was actually replying to Low Lines.

But there were ev reducing berries. Whether they'll be available for Black and White isn't known as far as I know. They are very helpful.

DarumakkaImposter
20th March 2011, 4:58 AM
You can also decrease your pokes to UT status using berries if you messed up. ;)

well it will be hard to get them without the dreamworld thing

Xaby
20th March 2011, 4:58 AM
True, but those are not available yet. And since it also decreases to 100 when used for EVs over 100, then getting those 152 is a pain just for one stray point. That's why I am thankful for the additional 2 leeway.

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 5:00 AM
You could always train previous gen pokemon on the other games and then trade them over. That's been working for me since I can EV train more efficiently and with the berries. I got my Bagon from a breeder with near perfect IVs and it now is sheerly beastly.

DarumakkaImposter
20th March 2011, 5:00 AM
True, but those are not available yet. And since it also decreases to 100 when used for EVs over 100, then getting those 152 is a pain just for one stray point. That's why I am thankful for the additional 2 leeway.

yepp. me too

You could always train previous gen pokemon on the other games and then trade them over. That's been working for me since I can EV train more efficiently and with the berries. I got my Bagon from a breeder with near perfect IVs and it now is sheerly beastly.

wow 0.o i need a strong salamence!

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 5:02 AM
Not too hard, I don't think. My IVs are 31,31,28,27,31

Trainer Frankie
20th March 2011, 5:03 AM
Ivs I'm unsure about.

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 5:06 AM
What part are you unsure about Frankie?

Low Lines
20th March 2011, 5:10 AM
I was actually replying to Low Lines.

But there were ev reducing berries. Whether they'll be available for Black and White isn't known as far as I know. They are very helpful.
Unless old Pokemon have had some of their EV Earning Points changed in Black and White, you should still be able to use my app on older games...you'd just have to wary of what mechanics were available in those games :p For instance I think the Power items effects were only introduced in HG/SS?

Trainer Frankie
20th March 2011, 5:10 AM
Well I feel I understand evs well, but not the case with ivs. I just haven't spent time figuring them out, so basically I'm unsure about everything about them.

I guess I know that they're the initial values of a pokemon? If that's correct, that's all I know I think about them.

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 5:14 AM
Yeah they are and they are random with a random encounter. I don't know if a pokemon can have a 0 IV but I believe so and 31 is the highest. Based on the IVs, a pokemons stats can greatly vary and you can pass IV's on with certain items in breeding but you can only pass down 1 IV per parent or 1 IV total. I am unsure on that. Pro breeders breed with a flawless (all 31 IV) ditto and then you can pass down a perfect in whichever stat you want and it also passes down 2 random IVs so you're guranteed 3 perfect IVs if breeding with 2 perfect parents and possibly just get lucky with the other 3.

Low Lines
20th March 2011, 5:19 AM
Yeah they are and they are random with a random encounter. I don't know if a pokemon can have a 0 IV but I believe so and 31 is the highest. Based on the IVs, a pokemons stats can greatly vary and you can pass IV's on with certain items in breeding but you can only pass down 1 IV per parent or 1 IV total. I am unsure on that. Pro breeders breed with a flawless (all 31 IV) ditto and then you can pass down a perfect in whichever stat you want and it also passes down 2 random IVs so you're guranteed 3 perfect IVs if breeding with 2 perfect parents and possibly just get lucky with the other 3.

Full IV Dittos?? I'm taking forever just getting my full set of Ditto Natures (4 to go at this point) let alone ones with max iv >_<

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 5:20 AM
Full IV Dittos?? I'm taking forever just getting my full set of Ditto Natures (4 to go at this point) let alone ones with max iv >_<

Yeah lol! and some people kill for flawless Japanese dittos because they increase the chance for shinies too! But a flawless ditto is very coveted regardless!

PokeBrian
20th March 2011, 5:22 AM
I beat the game with regular pokemon before I started to EV trained them. I've got two special sweepers, Hydreigon and Zoroark, and a physical sweeper, Cloyster. Working on a Wall/Physical Sweeper hybrid for Rypherion or maybe Escavalier. Not too sure.

Low Lines
20th March 2011, 5:24 AM
And probably non-legit >_< I mean it wouldn't be hard to create one and send it through that GTS exploit, but where's the fun in that?

[edit]

This is at Ditto thing...

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 5:24 AM
I want to get my swampert on but I can't find someone to breed me a stealth rock relaxed mudkip. :(

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 5:26 AM
I have one from the US but no japanese ditto for me. :(

Drako
20th March 2011, 5:40 AM
I starting IV and EV training with my Soul Silver and become a pro like that - plus it was easier to do IV breeding in SS and HG. It's so time consuming though. It took me like two days to IV breed sometimes. Plus you have to check and make sure. Then I would start EV training. Now that only took about an hour so Ev training is the easy part.

I'm not sure if I'll ev and iv train in my White yet. I'll see how I feel about it.

For my SS I had all the power items. I had 6 ditto's each with a 31 IV in a different stat (one had three) and good natures (like an adamant ditto with 31iv in attack). Then I had the pokerus. So EV training was easy like I said...it's the breeding that kills ya.

Aquarelle
20th March 2011, 6:11 AM
I EV trained a Litwick, Pansage, and Panpour on my Black for the first time nearly two weeks ago. I used Pokerus and a Macho Brace to speed up the process, since I can't afford to go get the power items yet. It actually didn't take as long as I was expecting it to.

I just wish that this game came with a counter app on the touch screen like the Poketch in DPPt did. That thing made EV training so much easier, because you could easily keep track of your EVs. On Black, I kept worrying that I wasn`t keeping track of my EVs properly. :/

Dasdardly
20th March 2011, 6:15 AM
I EV trained a Litwick, Pansage, and Panpour on my Black for the first time nearly two weeks ago. I used Pokerus and a Macho Brace to speed up the process, since I can't afford to go get the power items yet. It actually didn't take as long as I was expecting it to.

I just wish that this game came with a counter app on the touch screen like the Poketch in DPPt did. That thing made EV training so much easier, because you could easily keep track of your EVs. On Black, I kept worrying that I wasn`t keeping track of my EVs properly. :/

Post-it notes and a pencil. :D I made it my mission to get the power lens and anklet asap. 10 evs for one basculin/litwick is too good to pass up. (with pokerus obviously)

palapala
20th March 2011, 6:15 AM

I find wings to be extremely useful to find your way out when you lost count on the EV.

Like if you are pretty sure you have 252, but then you can put more than 3 wings... it mean you messed up on counting.

Trainer Frankie
20th March 2011, 6:26 AM
Yep, it's how I know the pokemon I finished ev training in my white got the evs I wanted it to have and is maxed out.

Dusk571
20th March 2011, 6:42 AM
Anyone know any good Attack lits and items for Zoroark
Heres what i got so far

Zoroark nickname:Mi Ma (watch the movie)
Attacks: Night Burst, Flamethrower, Grass Knot, and final move is a WIP but im thinking nasty plot or arial ace (if i deside to breed ill get extrasensory maby even Uturn)
Nature: Gental(i know terrible im breeding later)
Item:BrightPowder/Life Orb/Choice Scarf
;491;

PsychoIncarnate
20th March 2011, 9:36 AM
Just found out that all the ev's for the first 15 levels of the game are attack,

Since BOTH of my starters in the games are special base, they got screwed over.

My Serperior is Timid and STILL has an attack higher than it's special. He's got 255 attack EV's because of the time I spent grind leveling at the beggining.

Dasdardly
20th March 2011, 9:55 AM
Just found out that all the ev's for the first 15 levels of the game are attack,

My Serperior is Timid and STILL has an attack higher than it's special. He's got 255 attack EV's because of the time I spent grind leveling at the beggining.

Sucks, bro.
I personally like Serperior's physical side better. :/

Xaby
20th March 2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, Serperior's not half-bad on the physical side. You get Coil Around and Swords Dance and more attack options (although not by much, Serperior's movepool is pitiful). Most of your special options are Grass type and the odd Normal types.

Krishnath
20th March 2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah, Serperior's not half-bad on the physical side. You get Coil Around and Swords Dance and more attack options (although not by much, Serperior's movepool is pitiful). Most of your special options are Grass type and the odd Normal types.

It does get the excellent Leaf Blade though, and it can learn Dragon Tail via TM (an excellent move btw).

PsychoIncarnate
20th March 2011, 10:33 AM
While physical is probably better sans Perversity (Or whatever it's called now), I always liked Giga Drain with Leech seed and substitute.

Dareliisko
20th March 2011, 10:37 AM
I have a question about EV training, the power items, what exactly will they do..

For example if I have a Power Weight on, and I fight a pokemon with 2 defence EVs do I get 4 HP and 2 Defence?
And also if I have a pokemon holding the power weight, and I have them in the front of the party and swap them out and kill it with another pokemon does the original still get the 4 HP EVs and the normal EVs of the pokemon?

Also Hydrogen, is that my Bagon you were on about before? :P

Xaby
20th March 2011, 10:46 AM
Nope, it gives 4 Speed EVs per battle. For example, with Power Anklet equipped:

Blitzle yields 1 Speed EV (Natural) + 4 Speed EVs = 5 Speed EVs
Lillipup yields 1 Attack EV (Natural) + 4 Speed EVs = 1 Attack EV and 4 Speed EVs

These results is doubled by Pokérus:

Blitzle with Pokérus yields 2 Speed EVs (Natural) + 8 Speed EVs = 10 Speed EVs
Lillipup with Pokérus yields 2 Attack EVs (Natural) + 8 Speed EVs = 2 Attack EVs and 8 Speed EVs

If you want to get 4x the EV from fighting a target Pokémon, your Pokémon must have Pokérus and Macho Brace equipped. But usually this is less efficient compared to a Pokérus and Power [Item].

I forgot to answer, no, only the Pokémon equipped with the Macho Brace or Power [Item] will get their bonus (2x or +4 [stat] EVs, respectively). If another Pokémon with no EV boosting item comes in, they will only get the "Natural" EVs obtainable from the target Pokémon. This goes for Pokémon with EXP. Share as well.

And yes, the Pokémon who is holding the EV bonus item and received EXP from the battle, even if he/she/it didn't finish the battle, they'll get the "Natural" EV as well as the Bonus/Equipment EV.

tombux
20th March 2011, 11:03 AM
here to ev atk and where?

Xaby
20th March 2011, 11:14 AM
Attack EVs are easy to get from Lillipups and Patrats, very common at the beginning grass patches.

Dareliisko
20th March 2011, 11:15 AM
thanks Xaby

PsychoIncarnate
20th March 2011, 11:18 AM
Speed EV's - Surfing, you'll find NOTHING but Basculines which give 2 speed EV's

Special Attack EV's - Celestial Tower, ALL enemies you find give 1 special EV

Attack - Beginning of game, as stated. Found that out the hard way

bippacooleth
20th March 2011, 1:13 PM
Great time for this thread to appear -_-. I posted this question yesterday but got no reply so I just went ahead with attack and speed. I'll ask again anyway, just so for future reference I can remove the EVs and do it properly:

Hi, I just have a question to ask concerning the EV spread of the Dratini I just hatched.

So, I was just casually breeding Dratini's for my team with a Jolly nature and 31IVs in Attack and Speed. I got the first one, went to the see the Judge just for the hell of it, and it turns out my Dratini has this spread:

31/31/x/x/31/31

Now, I'm pretty impressed with this and I don't want to screw up the EV spread. With a Jolly nature, could someone suggest the best spread to be going for? I was originally going to go for max Attack and Speed, but if there are any better suggestions I would appreciate it

TehBrawlGuy~
20th March 2011, 1:41 PM
Great time for this thread to appear -_-. I posted this question yesterday but got no reply so I just went ahead with attack and speed. I'll ask again anyway, just so for future reference I can remove the EVs and do it properly:

Hi, I just have a question to ask concerning the EV spread of the Dratini I just hatched.

So, I was just casually breeding Dratini's for my team with a Jolly nature and 31IVs in Attack and Speed. I got the first one, went to the see the Judge just for the hell of it, and it turns out my Dratini has this spread:

31/31/x/x/31/31

Now, I'm pretty impressed with this and I don't want to screw up the EV spread. With a Jolly nature, could someone suggest the best spread to be going for? I was originally going to go for max Attack and Speed, but if there are any better suggestions I would appreciate it

Well, what moveset and role would it have?

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 1:56 PM
Daryl, yes it is. :P I got a lucky spread with the Bagon!

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 2:01 PM
Well, what moveset and role would it have?

If you want the Dragonite for competitive battling, I would reccomend 252 ATK, 252 SPD, and 4 HP. Because of the bulkiness of Dragonite, HP need not be done and the speed of todays metagame is insane. Jolly nature rules out a Mixed Sweeper so you are left with a powerful physical sweeper. If you have the dratini that knows extremespeed that's even better. the moveset I would reccomend is Outrage, Fire Punch, Earthquake and extremespeed

palapala
20th March 2011, 2:01 PM

31/31/x/x/31/31

If being competitive is the goal here, dragonite got nothing special going for it right now (until dream world ability, multiscale is released, then it would be the most defensive of all dragon). Everything it can do are better done by some one else *cough* garchomp *cough* salamance *cough*

If I got a dragonite these days, I would use it with a rain team so hurricane can be 100 accuracy and ev into special attack, it then will have some niche. Even then, I probably should have used something else.

non-competitive, well, anything goes.

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 2:03 PM
And Hydreigon is the new special sweeper that dragons have with decent typing in my opinion. :)

bippacooleth
20th March 2011, 2:03 PM
Okay then, no idea how to multi quote but thanks for the advice. I'll just stick with it as it is then, and wait for multiscale, which sounds amazing. For now he will be confined to the subway

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 2:06 PM
Multiscale is a fantastic ability and a lot of the DW pokemon will alter the metagame

Dusk571
20th March 2011, 3:22 PM
nobody answerd me so im posting upagain cuz i really want to know if theres anything i chould do other than a new nature

Heres what i got so far

Attacks: Night Burst, Flamethrower, Grass Knot, and final move is a WIP but im thinking nasty plot or arial ace (if i deside to breed ill get extrasensory maby even Uturn)

Trainer Frankie
20th March 2011, 4:09 PM

Yep, noticed this while doing ev training while completing the game. The pokemon I caught for cut took the attack evs the other pokemon I didn't want to have and now has an atk boost and has kinda become a pokemon on my team.

Hydrogen
20th March 2011, 4:22 PM
nobody answerd me so im posting upagain cuz i really want to know if theres anything i chould do other than a new nature

Heres what i got so far

Taunt is good for breaking walls in competitive battling so they have to attack you. Zoroark is a Sp. Atk heavy pokemon so I would honestly reccomend either a timid or modest nature since both cut attack, which is unneccesary. As far as the held item goes, I don't know but I use a dark pulse instead of night burst. All EVs should go to attack and speed with the remaining 4 in HP

Dareliisko
20th March 2011, 6:27 PM
lol, at least the Bagon is put to good use :P

on the note of Hydreigon, just EV trained that with 252 Special Atk, 252 Speed and 4 HP with Dark Pulse egg move. IVs: 24/18/4/22/24/24

Move Set: Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse

Not sure what other 2 moves to use.

PandaGuns
20th March 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi, I joined just to ask this question: Is there a good FAQ for EV/IV training and the whole natures thing? Been playing since Red and I wanna get competitive, I just have no idea how. Google is useless too, lol.

richi3f
20th March 2011, 11:05 PM
Not sure what other 2 moves to use.

I'd use Flamethrower and Surf. My Hidreigon's moveset is Flamethrower, Surf, Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor.

Hi, I joined just to ask this question: Is there a good FAQ for EV/IV training and the whole natures thing? Been playing since Red and I wanna get competitive, I just have no idea how. Google is useless too, lol.

I really like this one at Smogon: 5th Gen EV Manual (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85403).

You can also use Serebii's: here (http://serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml) and here (http://serebii.net/games/evs.shtml).

CyberTaco
21st March 2011, 12:15 AM
HP
Maggyo | 15-35 | Route 8 / Sekka City (Surf) | 2

Attack
Minezumi / Yooteril | 2-4 | Route 1 | 1
Mebukijika / Hatoopo / Kurimgan / Kojofuu | 34-37 | Dragon Spiral Tower - Outside (Double Grass) | 2 / 2 / 2 / 1
*NOTE: Only has a 60% chance of encounter in the Winter*

Defense
Sandslash / Desukan / Onix | 47-50 | Ancient Castle - B4F | 2 / 2 / 1
*NOTE: Only has a 65% chance of encounter*
Kurumiru / Fushide | 14-17 | Yagaruma Forest | 1 / 1
*NOTE: Only has a 50% chance of encounter*

Special Attack
Hitomoshi | 26-29 | Tower of Heaven - 1F | 1

Special Defense
Pururiru | 5-15 | Route 4 / 17 / 18 (Surf) | 1

Speed
Basurao | 5-15 | Route 1 / 3 / 6 (Surf) | 2

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82382

xFatex
21st March 2011, 1:43 AM
How did you guys do your IV checks? I heard its harder in 5th gen can you guys pass down your methods? :D

Hydrogen
21st March 2011, 2:14 AM
Daryl, use U-Turn to scout pokemon and then use flamethrower and our hydreigons can be twins. ;) assuming yours is timid as well

Hydrogen
21st March 2011, 2:16 AM
Use 2 flawless pokemon and you're guranteed to get 3 random 31's :D just use a flawless ditto and the strongest IV pokemon of the species you have coupled with everstones and power items.

magikot
21st March 2011, 2:20 AM
Run around with 6 level 100 lillipups gathering up rare candies every 5 minutes until I have 99. Then when an egg hatches I save, feed it rare candies to level 100, then come here to serebii and enter his stats in the IV calculator. If it's good, soft reset and EV train or breed it to pass on IVs, otherwise soft reset and release.

Currently IV breeding and then going to EV train the following:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Bold - Overcoat
~Nasty Plot
~Air Slash
~Dark Pulse
~Roost
IV: 31/x/x/31/31/31
EV: 220 HP/252 Def/36 SpA

A bulky sweeper and physical wall all in one for a hail team. The coverage of Dark and Flying is crap, but with some Nasty Plots it's not too bad. 220 HP EVs gives exactly 26 health from leftovers allowing me to put more into her abysmal special attack. 339 Def is pretty solid as well.

She seems really interesting on paper.

Edit: All in all - should take about 2 weeks to breed and train her to 100.

Hydrogen
21st March 2011, 2:23 AM
I'm real interested in a scrafty set I have been looking at.

Rest
Bulk Up
Revenge
Drain Punch

shed skin

Just bulk up x3 to make wall and rest and wake up in 1 turn. then do max attack and sweep. dont know the EV or nature though. =/

PandaGuns
21st March 2011, 2:24 AM
How did you guys do your IV checks? I heard its harder in 5th gen can you guys pass down your methods? :D

I'm using this (http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml) but it's asking for a bunch of stuff I'm clueless about, like Hidden Power, Overall Potential, and Best Stats. These don't seem to be listed any where.

magikot
21st March 2011, 2:30 AM
Those are optional that just make it easier to figure out faster.

All you NEED are Pokemon, Nature, Level, Stats, and EVs and it can calculate the IVs for you (within a range if you aren't level 100 or don't provide the optional stuff)

Xaby
21st March 2011, 2:30 AM
^ I use the same calculator but I also use the IV Judge at the Battle Subway. Usually I don't use Pokémon with less than 3 perfect IVs and an outstanding average.

Hydrogen
21st March 2011, 2:34 AM
I love me some Victini Xaby. :)

Trainer Frankie
21st March 2011, 3:00 AM
^ I use the same calculator but I also use the IV Judge at the Battle Subway. Usually I don't use Pokémon with less than 3 perfect IVs and an outstanding average.
Where's the Judge? Btw, I haven't beaten the main story yet.

Xaby
21st March 2011, 3:02 AM
You'll need to finish the main story first. After that he'll be in the round hallway/hub of the Battle Subway.

Trainer Frankie
21st March 2011, 3:03 AM
No wonder can't find him. Ah well.

palapala
21st March 2011, 4:27 AM
iv checker, hidden power checker, happiness checker, etc, all here http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/useful.shtml

psyducksqueezer
21st March 2011, 5:37 AM
Hey sorry if this topic has been covered already but I can't seem to find it. Is there a new item, such as the berries in Emerald, that take away EV's? Thanks

Mauville
21st March 2011, 5:39 AM
Anyone know a good method to grind Pokemon to level 100?

Right now I know of the Audino method, and it's been working really well for me up to level 70, then I'm able to challenge the E4. Now my question is, do I keep battling the E4 to level 100, or is there another place I can train for better/faster exp?

Xaby
21st March 2011, 6:36 AM
^Nimbasa Stadium and Court, The Riches in Undella Town and the trainers in the Royal Unova will provide a lot of EXP and credits. Aside from that, yes, the Elite 4 is your best bet, although I prefer wild battles for Pickup. And turn off the battle animation settings in your options, it will speed the process up by around 40 to 50%.

Rakurai
21st March 2011, 6:55 AM
Having the Entralink power-up that increases EXP is immensely useful for leveling Pokemon, moreso when coupled with Lucky Egg or a traded Pokemon, due to the fact that the bonuses stack multiplicatively, not additively.

Evandamonster
21st March 2011, 7:51 AM
Just started training my revenge killing Scizor with pkrs and a power bracer on Basculin for 8 attack and 4 speed EVs per fight. Should be done pretty quick.

Is the Audino method really worth the trouble? I don't know about you guys but I can end up going quite some time without any rustling grass.

Dasdardly
21st March 2011, 8:41 AM
Hey, IV breeding question: If the two parents are flawless, will the offspring be, as well?

Xaby
21st March 2011, 8:49 AM
Hey, IV breeding question: If the two parents are flawless, will the offspring be, as well?

Nope, only 3 Parent IVs are ever passed, including Power [Item] manipulated ones. The rest of the 3 IVs are all up to chance.

Legendary Dreams
21st March 2011, 11:03 AM
I'm looking for some opinions, suggestions.

My Zekrom has the following IVs.

HP - 14
Attack -30
Defense - 23/24 (Can't tell)
Special Attack - 28
Special Defense - 14
Speed - 26

Nature: Lonely (+Atk, -Def)

What would be a good EV spread for Zekrom?

Throhlurk
21st March 2011, 12:06 PM
How do you check ivs? I've heard it's really complicated

Hydrogen
21st March 2011, 12:17 PM
I'm looking for some opinions, suggestions.

My Zekrom has the following IVs.

HP - 14
Attack -30
Defense - 23/24 (Can't tell)
Special Attack - 28
Special Defense - 14
Speed - 26

Nature: Lonely (+Atk, -Def)

What would be a good EV spread for Zekrom?

All power and speed but if you can maybe get an adamant Zekrom to keep his defense intact. :)

Azulart
21st March 2011, 2:44 PM
How do you check ivs? I've heard it's really complicated

Well, there are alot of ways to do that,

I believe that here on Serebii there is a IV checker, you have to put details of your pokemon in it, and it will show you the IV.

The other way is rather simpeler (In my opinion)
There is a dude in the Gear station in Nimbasa city, that tells you in his words what your pokemon's IV is in overalls.

The best you can get is

Outstanding overall (But its very rare)

Good luck!

lucario beast
21st March 2011, 3:31 PM
quick question can you ev train a pokemon past lv 50

Xaby
21st March 2011, 3:34 PM
Any level is fine as long as it hasn't hit the 510 EV limit.

PandaGuns
21st March 2011, 4:39 PM
Quick question: If I use the IV calculator at Level 1 and there is no 31 in the little list on the right hand side, should I just give up on that Pokemon? Or is there a chance the calculations could be wrong and it can indeed go to 31?

I'm thinking maybe I should just check everything at the IV dude in Gear Station and get rid of any with a "Can't Be Better" stat. Thoughts?

Hydrogen
21st March 2011, 4:46 PM
As far as checking IVs the guy in the Subway is good for that but he only tells flawless stats.

Pkmn Breeder Jack
21st March 2011, 4:59 PM
Anyone know the best places to train in each stat? I've only found two really good locations.

Sp Atk - tower with the candle dudes
Spd - Surfing anywhere you only encounter Basculin.

Not sure about other stats.

Hydrogen
21st March 2011, 5:01 PM
Attack: Route 1 with Patrat and Lilipup
Defense: Pinwheel forest Sewaddle and the venipede

Mauville
21st March 2011, 5:07 PM
For atk I like to train at route 17 where there are Herdiers and Watchhogs.

HP I like to fight Audinos, or if you haven't caught Vicintiy or whatever it's called, you can keep battling it, and I believe it won't leave until you've captured it.

As for def, and sp.def, I'm not sure yet as I haven't EV trained in those areas yet.

Azulart
21st March 2011, 5:15 PM
Anyone know the best places to train in each stat? I've only found two really good locations.

Sp Atk - tower with the candle dudes
Spd - Surfing anywhere you only encounter Basculin.

Not sure about other stats.

HP : Iccurus city - Palpitoad,Stunkfish (All +2)
ATK: Route 1 - Scraggy,Herdier,Tranquil. (All +2)
Def: Pinwheel forest - Swadloom,Whirelpede,Sewaddle,venipede.
SkA: Celestial tower - al pkm there (All +1)
SpDef: Driftveil Surf - Frillish, Jellicent
Spd: Surf - Basilucun.

My favorites spots, hope it helps :)

Beck
21st March 2011, 5:31 PM
I'm slowly becoming more involved in this, but had a few questions (though I'm not sure if they've been answered elsewhere)...

First: Is it worthwhile training a Pokemon in EVs without knowing its IV spread? I don't quite have the time to breed for a specific IV stat yet, but wanted to start EV training. Would it be a waste of time, and a waste of a Pokemon, to start training without first knowing its IV spread?

Second: Let's say, for example, I'm training Pokemon X in Attack and Speed EVs. On whatever level Pokemon X is (we'll say lv. 53 (I don't know, I just chose level at random)), his EV spread has been maximized. Now, I'm trying to raise him to lv. 100. Am I free to battle Pokemon X against any kind of Pokemon, regardless of its EV distribution, until I reach lv. 100? The EVs I've trained him in won't be overlapped by possible Sp. Attack or Defensive EVs that I obtain from random Pokemon over the next 47 levels, right?

I think that that's about all the questions I have at the moment. If you need me to clarify something, let me know. Thanks in advance!

lucario beast
21st March 2011, 6:14 PM
a pokemon can only gain 510 ev points right is that in one level or does it reset every time you level up

Hydrogen
21st March 2011, 6:19 PM
510 = total EV for the pokemon forever.

Azulart
21st March 2011, 6:54 PM
For atk I like to train at route 17 where there are Herdiers and Watchhogs.

HP I like to fight Audinos, or if you haven't caught Vicintiy or whatever it's called, you can keep battling it, and I believe it won't leave until you've captured it.

As for def, and sp.def, I'm not sure yet as I haven't EV trained in those areas yet.

For HP you can better train at Icirrus city. Ignore the Shelmets and you can only find Palpitoad (Which will give 2+hp and Stunkfish who also gives +2 hp)

as for Sp.def, surf at Driftveil city for Frislish (They give Sp.def+1

PandaGuns
21st March 2011, 7:08 PM
If, for example, I have three newly bred Axews and I want to get a clearer idea of their IVs using the IV calculator rather than the rough estimate it gives at Level 1, is it possible to take them into the Battle Subway and look at their Level 50 stats?

lucario beast
21st March 2011, 7:30 PM
do the ev start counting at lv 1

Mauville
21st March 2011, 7:40 PM
Any level is fine as long as it hasn't hit the 510 EV limit.

I don't think EV training at lvl.100 works.

SceptileMaster88
21st March 2011, 8:23 PM
Here's a question I hope someone can answer. It's confusing the heck out of me! I'm training a snivy right now in its speed stat, and chose to go to route 3 and surf for basculin. I had my Haxorus, level 62 in the lead, and gave the snivy an exp share, because to my knowledge, it would get the same base EV's. However, while raising it, some things didn't add up. At one point, it took 8 basculin being defeated by my haxorus for my snivy to level up, which in theory means 16 EV points in speed (basculin awards 2 speed EV points if I'm not mistaken), and it means 4 stat points in speed at the very least. But when Snivy leveled, he only got +2 speed. I'm really confused, and hoping someone can help. He has a timid nature too, if that means anything.
On a quick different note, in Black/White, level 100 pokemon can still EV train, such as the one Arceus that you get at level 100. That is the only thing they changed in 5th gen in regard to EV training. That's what I've read atleast.

Allons-y
21st March 2011, 8:26 PM
Help me out? Currently training for the E4, they're Pokemon are all in their 70's and i dont know where to train my team, everything is taking too long!

My current Team is

Serperior Lv59
Emboar Lv56
Carracosta Lv56
Unfezent Lv59
Zweilous Lv57
Eeelektrick Lv45 ( He was a late addition, but I really wanted him!)

PsychoIncarnate
21st March 2011, 8:34 PM
Help me out? Currently training for the E4, they're Pokemon are all in their 70's and i dont know where to train my team, everything is taking too long!

My current Team is

Serperior Lv59
Emboar Lv56
Carracosta Lv56
Unfezent Lv59
Zweilous Lv57

Equip a Lucky Egg and grind levels in the part of victory road with the doctor

Allons-y
21st March 2011, 8:41 PM
That's what I've done but it doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere =\

Poke_Mania97
21st March 2011, 8:42 PM
what is the best stat to ev train with a haxorus lv48 with quite nature.

PsychoIncarnate
21st March 2011, 8:47 PM
what is the best stat to ev train with a haxorus lv48 with quite nature.

Why a quiet nature?

Haxorus has mediocre special attack, not to mention a decrease in speed is horrible for him

You want an Adamant or Jolly Haxorus

WaffleCopter
21st March 2011, 8:48 PM
ahh. my litwick is super slow... its level 37 while my next highest is lvl 32... and its conkledurr and my litwick is slower then him!

PsychoIncarnate
21st March 2011, 8:48 PM
ahh. my litwick is super slow... its level 37 while my next highest is lvl 32... and its conkledurr and my litwick is slower then him!

What's it's nature?

Edit: LOL, Litwick has a base speed of 20, no wonder it's slow

Poke_Mania97
21st March 2011, 8:56 PM
Why a quiet nature?

Haxorus has mediocre special attack, not to mention a decrease in speed is horrible for him

You want an Adamant or Jolly Haxorus

its sp atk is the 2nd best stat, then the speed it 4th. so yer your right. its still got nice speed

besides, it knows dragon pulse. no point in that if sp atk is too low

lucario beast
21st March 2011, 9:04 PM
what would be a good nature for litwick future shandelure

Beck
21st March 2011, 9:06 PM

My current Team is

Serperior Lv59
Emboar Lv56
Carracosta Lv56
Unfezent Lv59
Zweilous Lv57

You've already beaten the Elite Four once, right? Because their Pokemon are all lv. 70+ only after you've defeated them once already.

If that is in fact the case, train them on the right side of Unova, in double grass. Equipe the Pokemon with the Lucky Egg for maximum exp. gain. Most Pokemon will give you 2500-3000 exp., at least. Not to mention Audinos.

PokemonOwn
21st March 2011, 9:09 PM

You can. The stats are re-calculated at the end of every battle. If you put a Pokemon in the Daycare until 100, you could still EV Train it.

Wraithslicer
21st March 2011, 11:53 PM

Because I'm assuming EVs in each stat are tracked by 8-bit variables, which have a maximum value of 255. For balance they just decided you can only max out 2 stats, which would be a total of 510 EVs.

lucario beast
21st March 2011, 11:53 PM
im ev training my drillbur on patrats and lillipups on route 1 and hes lv 15 and hes not gaining that much like 2

PinkPalkia
21st March 2011, 11:58 PM
Do the Wings work with Macho Brace/Pkrs..?

For a start, since I can beat the Elite Four a lot, I can always have a headstart with Proteins, Carbos, and such.

Kariyama
22nd March 2011, 12:23 AM
i dont suppose anyone could explain to me how to ev train in these new versions? i have all the training items, but the stats just keep leveling at their normal rate, is there something different about ev training now?

magikot
22nd March 2011, 1:19 AM
Second: Let's say, for example, I'm training Pokemon X in Attack and Speed EVs. On whatever level Pokemon X is (we'll say lv. 53 (I don't know, I just chose level at random)), his EV spread has been maximized. Now, I'm trying to raise him to lv. 100. Am I free to battle Pokemon X against any kind of Pokemon, regardless of its EV distribution, until I reach lv. 100? The EVs I've trained him in won't be overlapped by possible Sp. Attack or Defensive EVs that I obtain from random Pokemon over the next 47 levels, right?

Once the 510 EV limit is reached, no other EVs can be added. So, no, you won't get your EVs overwritten for the next 47 levels.

It does. Just not from battling. You need to use the Wings and Vitamins to EV train at level 100.

Here's a question I hope someone can answer. It's confusing the heck out of me! I'm training a snivy right now in its speed stat, and chose to go to route 3 and surf for basculin. I had my Haxorus, level 62 in the lead, and gave the snivy an exp share, because to my knowledge, it would get the same base EV's. However, while raising it, some things didn't add up. At one point, it took 8 basculin being defeated by my haxorus for my snivy to level up, which in theory means 16 EV points in speed (basculin awards 2 speed EV points if I'm not mistaken), and it means 4 stat points in speed at the very least. But when Snivy leveled, he only got +2 speed. I'm really confused, and hoping someone can help. He has a timid nature too, if that means anything.

From everything I've read and observed in my game, EVs are applied immediately now. Due to Snivy's nature and IVs it would have gotten 2 speed on that level up regardless.

I noticed this when EV training attack on rt. 1. My low level Sewaddle leveled up after killing 2 patrats (2EV) and level up showed +1 attack. Next level up was another 2 patrats (2EV) and level up showed +1 attack again, but his attack was actually 2 points higher than when he last leveled up.

This has remained true for others that I've EV trained since first noticing it.

Do the Wings work with Macho Brace/Pkrs..?

Macho Brace and Pkrs don't multiply the wing's EV addition, but you can still use them for 1 EV on pokemon that are holding MB and/or have Pkrs

lucario beast
22nd March 2011, 2:34 AM
im training my drillbur right now facing lillipup and patrats rout 1 he is holding the macho brace and i thought every 4 ev equal 1 point well he gets a point like every 20 pokemon he is lv 17

Rakurai
22nd March 2011, 2:37 AM
EVs are applied gradually as a Pokemon's level increases, for the sake of them not being completely overpowered early on.

Even if you max out the EVs of a Pokemon while it's level 10 or so, its actual stats will only be maybe four or five points higher then another member of its species at the same level.

lucario beast
22nd March 2011, 2:41 AM
EVs are applied gradually as a Pokemon's level increases, for the sake of them not being completely overpowered early on.

Even if you max out the EVs of a Pokemon while it's level 10 or so, its actual stats will only be maybe four or five points higher then another member of its species at the same level.

so if i continue to do all the ev stuff at this lv at lv hundred it will only be 5 points higher than one without ev training

Rakurai
22nd March 2011, 2:48 AM
No.

Once a Pokemon hits level 100, you'll see the full benefit of the EV training, where it can provide a Pokemon around 64 more points in a given stat (More if it's being boosted by its nature) then an untrained member of the same species.

If a low leveled Pokemon could receive the benefit of all of its EVs immediately, it would give you way too much of an advantage over Pokemon without EVs (AKA, pretty much all Pokemon faced outside of the Battle Subway), and suck all of the challenge out of the game.

lucario beast
22nd March 2011, 2:55 AM
No.

Once a Pokemon hits level 100, you'll see the full benefit of the EV training, where it can provide a Pokemon around 64 more points in a given stat (More if it's being boosted by its nature) then an untrained member of the same species.
so once it lv up to 100 it will get 64 increase in attack

Tonitrius
22nd March 2011, 3:24 AM
so i am plannning on ev training my team and am wondering for a oshawot what are popular stats invested in?

Kyogre35
22nd March 2011, 3:28 AM
so once it lv up to 100 it will get 64 increase in attack

If the pokemon is level 99, yes.

If it's just a normal one, no. You'll see a GRADUAL increase in the stat, this might entail some being +4, and some being +1. EVENTUALLY you will get +64 if you EV train correctly.

richi3f
22nd March 2011, 3:31 AM
so i am plannning on ev training my team and am wondering for a oshawot what are popular stats invested in?

I'd use this set:
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant
Moves: Swords Dance, Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Megahorn

Tonitrius
22nd March 2011, 3:46 AM
what are the stats on waterfall don't have it yet and could razor shell be better?

and planning on getting a happiny soon or a blissey what stats should i put evs into for it?

Kyogre35
22nd March 2011, 3:49 AM
what are the stats on waterfall don't have it yet and could razor shell be better?

and planning on getting a happiny soon or a blissey what stats should i put evs into for it?

Waterfall, in every way, is better EXCEPT for the increased crit chance.

Use Waterfall.

Oops didn't see the Blissey Question:

I'm seeing a lot of 252 HP/252 SPD 4 Speed set's most likely, just making it more of a SpD wall.

PinkPalkia
22nd March 2011, 3:52 AM
How the heck do I train Gigalith? I have some Hp and Attack EVs, but I don't know what else..

Tonitrius
22nd March 2011, 3:52 AM
ya i wish to make it you can't kill me in your dreams wall pretty much i told my friend i would keep it in the whole time and never would it die in a normal battle meaning no legendarys but still some heavy hitting pokemon and he does not ev train so should i put the 252 from spd to def? or is it sp def?

Kyogre35
22nd March 2011, 3:55 AM
ya i wish to make it you can't kill me in your dreams wall pretty much i told my friend i would keep it in the whole time and never would it die in a normal battle meaning no legendarys but still some heavy hitting pokemon and he does not ev train so should i put the 252 from spd to def? or is it sp def?

SpD, it's Defense is so bad no EV's will help, it's extreme HP makes up for the terrible Defense.

@PinkPalkia: Those two should be the main focus, if you have some left over Defense.

Tonitrius
22nd March 2011, 3:58 AM
okay so what would be a good partner or 2(thinking triple battle) to work with it i can think a heavy hitter whose fast and maybe something thats a speed blocker? but what any suggestions?

Kyogre35
22nd March 2011, 4:03 AM
okay so what would be a good partner or 2(thinking triple battle) to work with it i can think a heavy hitter whose fast and maybe something thats a speed blocker? but what any suggestions?

A sweeper, probably.

Infernape is always good, as is Scizor, but I'm not really into competitive and have no clue for 5th gen. I just know how to EV train.

Tonitrius
22nd March 2011, 4:16 AM
i think an infernape will prolly work

DoubleJG3288
22nd March 2011, 4:29 AM
It is always such a pain saving up for those power items. *Sigh*

TehBrawlGuy~
22nd March 2011, 4:40 AM
I need the power items to EV train my Subway team.

I need my Subway team to get the BP for the power items.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!

Aquarelle
22nd March 2011, 4:46 AM
I need the power items to EV train my Subway team.

I need my Subway team to get the BP for the power items.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!

Surely you have EV trained Pokemon on other games you could transfer over?

Or, you know, you could try EV training without the power items. Just use the Macho Brace (and Pokerus if you have it). It takes longer, but it can be done.

DarumakkaImposter
22nd March 2011, 4:51 AM

Or, you know, you could try EV training without the power items. Just use the Macho Brace (and Pokerus if you have it). It takes longer, but it can be done.

how do you get pokerus?

Trainer Frankie
22nd March 2011, 4:53 AM
I think ev training is easier this gen, and I am not even using the power items. Though I guess if I had them it would make ev training easier.

I like just finished maxing my second pokemon's evs. Two maxed so far in Black and I'm at the point where Team Plasma's in Cold Storage.

SceptileMaster88
22nd March 2011, 5:09 AM
To my understanding you have a very small of chance of your lead pokemon acquiring it when you encounter a wild pokemon.

On another note, I can't figure out what is going wrong with my Zorua's EV training. He started off as a level 1, with modest nature. I bred the zoroark I evolved from the celebi event with a ditto until I got the right nature. I put my level 62 Haxorus in the lead, gave zorua the exp share, and started battling basculin on route 3 for the 2 speed EV points. It hit level 10, and on it's way to 11, my Haxorus defeated 3 basculin, but my Zorua's speed never went up after the battle with the second one. I'm confused as hell as to why it didn't happen. My level 24 servine has also been an issue because at his level he has 67 speed, and I battled enough basculin to give him 240 EV points, which is +60 to his speed. It can't be possible for him to have only gained 7 stat points without EV points over 24 levels. Please help!

Rakurai
22nd March 2011, 5:15 AM
EVs are applied gradually with every level. Your Servine will only have that additional 60 speed at level 100. At level 50, it'll have around 30 additional points, at level 25, around 15, and so on and so forth.

It's to prevent the Pokemon from being completely overpowered to similarly leveled Pokemon that lack EV training.

Also, getting the Power Items without a specially trained team is still easy, as almost all of your opponents on the Single Train use first stage Pokemon, or weak second stage Pokemon evolved Pokemon (The last opponent out of each set usually being the exception), and the Subway Master's team is the same every single time. On the other hand, attempting the Super Single Train with such a team is suicidal, as they throw Pokemon like Garchomp and Dragonite at you right from the start.

SceptileMaster88
22nd March 2011, 5:20 AM
Ohhhh, alright. That makes perfect sense now. Thank ya!! Saved me having to start banging my head against the wall :P

Aquarelle
22nd March 2011, 5:53 AM
how do you get pokerus?

When you encounter a wild Pokemon, there's a small chance it may have the Pokerus. If you battle/catch it, you can spread the Pokerus to Pokemon in your party.

This page (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9rus) explains everything about it.

DarumakkaImposter
22nd March 2011, 5:59 AM
When you encounter a wild Pokemon, there's a small chance it may have the Pokerus. If you battle/catch it, you can spread the Pokerus to Pokemon in your party.

This page (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9rus) explains everything about it.

^.^ thank you

Gyarados Rage
22nd March 2011, 6:04 AM
So the wings on the bridge give 1 EV to a certain stat?

BTW, Im trying to EV train my Vanilluxe in Special attack and Special defense. Anybody know the hotspots for those 2 stats?

DarumakkaImposter
22nd March 2011, 6:08 AM
So the wings on the bridge give 1 EV to a certain stat?

BTW, Im trying to EV train my Vanilluxe in Special attack and Special defense. Anybody know the hotspots for those 2 stats?

yes

Marvelous Bridge

TehBrawlGuy~
22nd March 2011, 6:17 AM

I do, but I still haven't finished the Frontier there, so I'd have to re-make the whole team if I ever wanted to try and complete it.

I could clone, and maybe I will....

Aquarelle
22nd March 2011, 6:38 AM

For Special Attack, the second floor of Celestial Tower is good. You can only find Litwick there, which each give 1 EV to Sp. Attack.

For Special Defense, go to Driftveil City and surf on the water there. You can fight Frillish for 1 Sp. Def EV, and Jellicent for 2.

lucario beast
22nd March 2011, 7:34 AM
just finished drillburs attack stat now on to his speed stat

Allons-y
22nd March 2011, 9:19 AM
Now training at the Giant Chasm, thought I may as well catch Kyurem whilst I was there. Piece of cake om nom nom (even though I don't like cake...) Sorry I'm rambling. Slight change to the team. Now stands at:

Serperior Lv62
Emboar Lv56
Carracosta Lv59
Zweilous Lv59
Metang Lv63 (Caught at Giant Chasm)
Eelektross Lv51 ( Still training)

;251;

lucario beast
22nd March 2011, 9:51 AM
fuly ev traied my drillbur ev training ist as hard as i expected it to be

Legendary Dreams
22nd March 2011, 10:17 AM
Decided to go 252Atk/252Spd/4Spatk EV Spread for my Zekrom (Whose IVs are Hp: 14, Atk: 30, Defense: 23, Special Attack: 28, Special Defense: 14, Speed: 26) and has a nature of Lonely (+Atk, -Def).

Can't stand SRing anymore, so I'll suppose I'll just accept its measly defense stats.

TehBrawlGuy~
22nd March 2011, 10:22 AM
Decided to go 252Atk/252Spd/4Spatk EV Spread for my Zekrom (Whose IVs are Hp: 14, Atk: 30, Defense: 23, Special Attack: 28, Special Defense: 14, Speed: 26) and has a nature of Lonely (+Atk, -Def).

Can't stand SRing anymore, so I'll suppose I'll just accept its measly defense stats.

Why the last 4 in Satk? What moveset are you going with?

Legendary Dreams
22nd March 2011, 10:26 AM
Why the last 4 in Satk? What moveset are you going with?

Not sure yet.

I have to do Satk, because Zekrom KO'ed Reshiram (Which gives 3 Spatk points). So technically, I only have 3 spare points left after Attack and Speed.

Zekrom's Special Attack isn't measly either (Base 120 + IVs 28).

I haven't thought much of movesets for Zekrom. I'm mainly fussy about IVs and EVs in this game because I got Pokerus for the first time in the games.

TehBrawlGuy~
22nd March 2011, 10:34 AM
Not sure yet.

I have to do Satk, because Zekrom KO'ed Reshiram (Which gives 3 Spatk points). So technically, I only have 3 spare points left after Attack and Speed.

Zekrom's Special Attack isn't measly either (Base 120 + IVs 28).

I haven't thought much of movesets for Zekrom. I'm mainly fussy about IVs and EVs in this game because I got Pokerus for the first time in the games.

Ah, yes, the fight.

Can't you fill your box and make him re-appear at Dragonspiral? I'm pretty sure that would reset his EVs. Not really worth the effort for one stat point, though.

Legendary Dreams
22nd March 2011, 10:38 AM
Ah, yes, the fight.

Can't you fill your box and make him re-appear at Dragonspiral? I'm pretty sure that would reset his EVs. Not really worth the effort for one stat point, though.

You're right, its not worth it for 1 stat point. Special Attack isn't all bad anyway. Ghetsis came along and I purposely had Zekrom fainted against Cofagrigus because it gave 2 DEF EVs.

Azulart
22nd March 2011, 1:20 PM
You're right, its not worth it for 1 stat point. Special Attack isn't all bad anyway. Ghetsis came along and I purposely had Zekrom fainted against Cofagrigus because it gave 2 DEF EVs.

Sp.atk for Zekrom is not that bad.

Why always Adamant Zekrom? haveing a Zekrom with Brave nature could also be great right? you could also have a little mixed potential with brave.

(Besides, overall his speed is the lowest stat.)

PsychoIncarnate
22nd March 2011, 3:06 PM
Ya know, I STILL think there should be a pokemon that only evolves after it is infected with the pokerus

lucario beast
22nd March 2011, 3:07 PM
Ya know, I STILL think there should be a pokemon that only evolves after it is infected with the pokerus

do you know how hard that would be to get for people that dont have it already like me

PsychoIncarnate
22nd March 2011, 3:11 PM
do you know how hard that would be to get for people that dont have it already like me

For 3 generations I never had pokemon that evolve through trading because I didn't know anyone that owned pokemon. I have 2 DS's now thanks to my new DSi though, so I can

I don't see a problem with a pokemon that will be very difficult for some people to evolve

Hydrogen
22nd March 2011, 3:16 PM
Sp.atk for Zekrom is not that bad.

Why always Adamant Zekrom? haveing a Zekrom with Brave nature could also be great right? you could also have a little mixed potential with brave.

(Besides, overall his speed is the lowest stat.)

But that's the problem LOL. Zekrom needs speed to compete with todays metagame. Speed is so crucial and making it less is a killer. You don't focus on the Sp. Atk because its lower than his attack and his movepool is so strongly physical. You might could make a mixed zekrom if you really wanted to but I don't know what would be different other than a tad more versatility and less power.

Felix Thunderheart
22nd March 2011, 6:26 PM
The thing I was hoping for is ev berries in black and white, but there might not be berries, but in the Book I got with the name. They have those berry names to gave to a lady to sell. So, you might get it in the dream world. But I got people saying there NO EV Berries at all. I hope they are wrong because I goof up big time.

Dasdardly
22nd March 2011, 7:03 PM
So, I'm breeding and I have the option to pass on either a beneficial nature or 31 IVs in that stat. Which do I go with?

Azulart
22nd March 2011, 9:31 PM
But that's the problem LOL. Zekrom needs speed to compete with todays metagame. Speed is so crucial and making it less is a killer. You don't focus on the Sp. Atk because its lower than his attack and his movepool is so strongly physical. You might could make a mixed zekrom if you really wanted to but I don't know what would be different other than a tad more versatility and less power.

Yes you are right, but i just dont see the point in training him in Speed, most Speed pokemon will outrun him anyway.. but oh well thats how i see it :P

Zormon
22nd March 2011, 9:56 PM
If you catch a Pokémon in the wild, are you still able to train it to the full 510 effort points maximum, or has it already used some?

sunnygowing
22nd March 2011, 10:05 PM
I have 2 questions which can be answered fairly simply (I think):
1: I hear Basculin are awesome for Speed EV training. But what if a fire type pkmn is being EV trained? Should I go elsewhere (such as Pinwheel Forest) or just fight through all of them?
2: Do u have to get 255 Effort Points per level or before you reach level 100? (This one seems really stupid. sorry!)

redbugman97
22nd March 2011, 10:06 PM
I just got into EV training. I'm training my Deino in ATK and SPD by fighting Sandile and Darumaka on Route 4.

Dasdardly
22nd March 2011, 10:27 PM
@Zormon Wild pokemon do have EVs; I'm not sure how many/ how these are distrubuted.
@sunnyglowing
1) If you go just outside of Driftveil, there's a house with a woman who will heal you (very close to mistralton cave) You could surf right in front and heal when need be.
2) You actually only need 252 in one stat and can get a maximum of 255. And its before level 100. (Now you can actually train at lvl 100, though.)

Rakurai
22nd March 2011, 10:32 PM
I have 2 questions which can be answered fairly simply (I think):
1: I hear Basculin are awesome for Speed EV training. But what if a fire type pkmn is being EV trained? Should I go elsewhere (such as Pinwheel Forest) or just fight through all of them?
2: Do u have to get 255 Effort Points per level or before you reach level 100? (This one seems really stupid. sorry!)

1. Just switch the fire Pokemon out on the first turn to keep it from getting KO'd.

2. You just need a total of 510 EVs. It doesn't even matter if the Pokemon is level 100 anymore, as the benefits of EVs are calculated after each battle now.

Aquarelle
22nd March 2011, 11:17 PM
If you catch a Pokémon in the wild, are you still able to train it to the full 510 effort points maximum, or has it already used some?

@Zormon Wild pokemon do have EVs; I'm not sure how many/ how these are distrubuted.

Wild Pokemon DO NOT have any EVs! When you catch one, it's a clean slate, and you can give it 510 EVs.

lucario beast
22nd March 2011, 11:47 PM
if a pokemon faints does it erase the ev

Rakurai
22nd March 2011, 11:51 PM
No.

It just won't get any EVs from the battle unless you revive it and send it out again.

AlexKZ
22nd March 2011, 11:51 PM

Nope. You're pokemon will be fine if it faints. Just don't turn the game off from rage, otherwise you'll have to start from your last save point

Anyways, I've breed some pokemon for the Subway, I just need to EV train them. Gonna be fun without the Power items. =[

redbugman97
22nd March 2011, 11:53 PM

No, EV is the base stat of that Pokemon. Nothing like "Budew's Special Attack sharply rose!" ;406;

PandaGuns
23rd March 2011, 12:14 AM
I have a quick question: The IV guy in the Gear Station, how many IVs will he let me know I've hit 31 with? He said HP and Sp.Def can't be better, but is the max amount of perfect IVs he'll tell you 2 even if there's 3 or 4?

Not expecting this one to have any more, just wanting to know for future reference.

Also, any item I can use to pass on a parent's nature?

redbugman97
23rd March 2011, 12:16 AM

Yes. If one parent holds an everstone, there is a 50 percent chance the offspring will have that same nature as the holder.

sunnygowing
23rd March 2011, 12:17 AM
I have a quick question: The IV guy in the Gear Station, how many IVs will he let me know I've hit 31 with? He said HP and Sp.Def can't be better, but is the max amount of perfect IVs he'll tell you 2 even if there's 3 or 4?

Not expecting this one to have any more, just wanting to know for future reference.

Maybe. Also, if you want to pass a nature down, make either parent hold an Everstone. Found on wild Roggenrola (Thank you Serebii!)

sunnygowing
23rd March 2011, 12:20 AM
1. Just switch the fire Pokemon out on the first turn to keep it from getting KO'd.

2. You just need a total of 510 EVs. It doesn't even matter if the Pokemon is level 100 anymore, as the benefits of EVs are calculated after each battle now.

Does this have any negative effects on other stats though? say I reached lvl 100 and got 500 EVs, and I decide to put the last 10 into Sp. Attack, willl that lower any other stat?

Also, how do the Vitamins (such as Carbos) affect EVs and IVs? I'm a little confused...

TehBrawlGuy~
23rd March 2011, 12:20 AM
Seriously, don't even bother with EV training until you get those Power items. I just took my ingame team and beat the Single Subway with little effort. I'm halfway through the Mixed one now, and it's still really easy. By the time I finish unlocking the Super trains, I'll have enough BP to buy 3/6 of those Power items.

TehBrawlGuy~
23rd March 2011, 12:23 AM
Does this have any negative effects on other stats though? say I reached lvl 100 and got 500 EVs, and I decide to put the last 10 into Sp. Attack, willl that lower any other stat?

Also, how do the Vitamins (such as Carbos) affect EVs and IVs? I'm a little confused...

Nope. You'll get the boosts for whatever your other EVs are, and the 2 extra points in Sp. atk.

Vitamins give 10 EVs to the stat they correspond to. You can't raise any stat over 100 EVs with vitamins, though. (but you can get it to 100 and get the other from battles)

Birds of Paradise
23rd March 2011, 12:25 AM
Would it be possible to post ev training areas/pokemon in the first post? (if that info is known yet). I'd like to know which pokemon to train against for each ev. Or where can I find that information?

Pokemon Whisperer
23rd March 2011, 12:30 AM
Something I'm confused about is how EV Training works. I've noticed that one of my brothers get higher stats and told me mine weren't good when he was looking over my team of my first playthrough of Pokemon Black. I've recently gotten interested in the method of EV training, but the quistion is...is it NORMAL training? As in the basic beat wild pokemon after wild pokemon kind of training?

Another thing that I'm confused about is if the stats only go up with the level or at all times when experinece is being earned. I heard that level 100 pokemon in Black/White can still EV train and if that's true then they don't go up with the level. I'd really like some help here so I can start from the beginning and EV train the right way. Thanks.

Hydrogen
23rd March 2011, 12:37 AM
100 Lv pokemon: EV train them, then deposit them and withdraw and the EVs will update. :P

Pokemon Whisperer
23rd March 2011, 12:44 AM
That's not all I wanted to know. Is EV training just normal training? Or is there something new new it.

And what's the easiest way to do it without the items.

Brianocerous
23rd March 2011, 12:46 AM
Quick question guys. Im new to EV and IV training but i understand most of it. (i think). My question is about the IVs of my pokemon. I checked the IVs of a shieldon i have (using metalkids IV calculator) and Im wondering are they good. I think they are but should I EV train him or use him to breed a better Shieldon.
IVs
HP 22
Atk 11
Def 31
SpA 9
SpD 31
Speed 16

I know that 31 is perfect but dya tink i shud train him with 252 EVs in Def and SpD or are his other IVs too poor to make him good competitively?

Birds of Paradise
23rd March 2011, 12:48 AM
That's not all I wanted to know. Is EV training just normal training? Or is there something new new it.

Ev training is battling specific pokemon (which give ev's in specific stats) until you give your pokemon the maxium evs it can have (510 total, 252 in two stats), then level that pokemon up to level 100 for the evs to be fully..er...recieved. Having your pokemon hold specific items (the power items that can be earned from the battle subway) helps shorten the ev training time because it adds 3-4 points (don't remember which) in addition to what the wild pokemon gives.

Edit: ev training is the same with or without the items, the items just make it go a lot faster.

Pokemon Whisperer
23rd March 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm still new to EV training as well. So new I'm still not sure if its normal training or something else. I sent some things that I'd like help with so I can get this down.

Pokemon Whisperer
23rd March 2011, 12:51 AM

But is it only with leveling up or when experience is given?

Birds of Paradise
23rd March 2011, 12:53 AM
Evs come with the experience given, but they only come into full effect when the pokemon is leveled up to 100

Pokemon Whisperer
23rd March 2011, 12:58 AM
So they DO go with with experience? So after a random wild pokemon battle I can look at the pokemon's stats and they would have went up?

Birds of Paradise
23rd March 2011, 1:06 AM
Well, you wouldn't want to do random wild battles, you wouldn't get the ev in the stat you want. *frusterated* Sorry, I'm not good at explaining this part. You WILL gain the ev's, but the stat number randomly increases as the pokemon levels up. This does not mean that every time it levels up, the stats will go up. Only when a pokemon is at level 100 can you look at the stats and see how much they completely increased by.

Edit: And if I'm wrong, someone correct me, I'm basing this on 4th generation EV training.

Edit Edit: Here's something I found on the subject from smogon, this will explain it better

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85403

NES
23rd March 2011, 1:10 AM
I know how to ev train, but i want to find the best possible place for each stat. What are your recommended places for this? :p

Pucca_ness
23rd March 2011, 1:15 AM
I cannot find the IV guy in the battle subway building. Do i need to do something to make him show up?

Hydrogen
23rd March 2011, 1:19 AM
Beat elite four Pucca.

Pokemon Whisperer
23rd March 2011, 1:35 AM
I'm getting some things about EV training. Just need to know more about what make it different then simple training. Best places for it. I'll be EV training as I go through the game from the beginning. It's not just one stat I'm trying for, however. I want them all to be decent at certain parts of the game. Most of all I want them to be good enough for the Battle Subway and Battle Insitute.

Is this even possible? EV training from the beginning of the game and trying to get all stats blanced.

lucario beast
23rd March 2011, 1:37 AM
I'm getting some things about EV training. Just need to know more about what make it different then simple training. Best places for it. I'll be EV training as I go through the game from the beginning. It's not just one stat I'm trying for, however. I want them all to be decent at certain parts of the game. Most of all I want them to be good enough for the Battle Subway and Battle Insitute.

Is this even possible? EV training from the beginning of the game and trying to get all stats blanced.
you cant have all stats ballancd a pokemn can only gain 510 ev points

Aquarelle
23rd March 2011, 1:53 AM
you cant have all stats ballancd a pokemn can only gain 510 ev points

Well, she could try dividing the EVs equally among the six stats. So that would be 510/6 = 85 EVs per stat.

Of course, it's not worth using your EVs that way. First of all, 85 is not divisible by 4 so you'd be wasting EVs. Next, most Pokemon don't need EVs in all their stats. Sweepers, for instance, really only need EVs in Speed and whichever attack stat their using. So trying to "balance" a Pokemon's stats isn't a good idea.

Beck
23rd March 2011, 3:24 AM
For those with specific questions regarding EV & IV training:

Serebii has a great section on Effort Values (http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml) that's very straightforward. Smogon also has a section that describes Effort Values (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85403) in depth, and compares and contrasts EV training in B/W to previous generations. Both are extremely helpful when it comes to fully understanding EVs (useful items and how to use them is explained within these links, too!).

Serebii also offers, in my opinion, one of the better descriptions of how Individual Values (http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml) work.

Both Serebii and Smogon list B/W EV training hotspots, which can be found here (http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml) (at the bottom of the page), and here (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82382), respectively. These hotspots show the easiest - though not the only - spots to train your Pokemon in specific EV stats.

EVs & IVs in depth:

To get the perfect Pokemon (IV-wise, and ultimately EV-wise as well), breeding is necessary. Smogon goes into great depths about breeding (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85699).

All of the in-depth questions should be answered on one of the pages or in one of the threads contained within the links posted above. In my personal opinion, you're wasting your time and the potential of one of your Pokemon if you don't fully understand how the process works in its entirety. It's definitely not something someone can grasp perfectly the first read through.

As far as "which IV/ EV should I train this Pokemon in?," it's completely preference. You choose. Again, Smogon offers a pretty solid, thorough list of Pokemon and possible movesets, held-items, EV & IV spreads, etc. Lurking Smogon's forum board is by no means a waste of time or bad idea.

foodmetaphors
23rd March 2011, 3:29 AM
I've got Oshawott trained in attack already, probably should get it over to the celestial tower for those sp.att EVs. Archen has gotten most of his attack EVs, but now he's also sitting in the 2BEVTRND box. Got an Axew and finished its EV training (attack and speed) and am now taking it through the game and it's reached its first evolution now.

DarumakkaImposter
23rd March 2011, 3:32 AM
I've got Oshawott trained in attack already, probably should get it over to the celestial tower for those sp.att EVs. Archen has gotten most of his attack EVs, but now he's also sitting in the 2BEVTRND box. Got an Axew and finished its EV training (attack and speed) and am now taking it through the game and it's reached its first evolution now.

the best nature for that would be a jolly one axew) i was lucky and caught one on my JP white. he has great attack and speed

Trainer Frankie
23rd March 2011, 3:39 AM

I'm ev training while completing the game. I don't want to have just an in-game team that may not do well against competetive players.

Ev training is, imo, just focusing the evs pokemon get when they get exp. If you just go through the game without focusing the evs, they could be scattered throughout the six stats.

But keep in mind that a lot of the trainers use pokemon that give atk evs. So maybe you want to go through the game with pokemon who mainly use physical attacks.

Gyarados Rage
23rd March 2011, 4:31 AM
I'm ev training while completing the game. I don't want to have just an in-game team that may not do well against competetive players.

Ev training is, imo, just focusing the evs pokemon get when they get exp. If you just go through the game without focusing the evs, they could be scattered throughout the six stats.

But keep in mind that a lot of the trainers use pokemon that give atk evs. So maybe you want to go through the game with pokemon who mainly use physical attacks.

EV training is really not that hard to understand. Its just taking what stats your pokemon are strong in and advancing on them even further. Its breeding for IV's that are very annoying.

BTW, anybody know were I can go to calculate my Pokemon's IV's in Black and White? Does Serebii have an IV calculator up for 5th gen? I want to start EV training my Vanillite but I need to know its IV's first. Already have the beneficial nature.

Aquarelle
23rd March 2011, 4:46 AM
EV training is really not that hard to understand. Its just taking what stats your pokemon are strong in and advancing on them even further. Its breeding for IV's that are very annoying.

BTW, anybody know were I can go to calculate my Pokemon's IV's in Black and White? Does Serebii have an IV calculator up for 5th gen? I want to start EV training my Vanillite but I need to know its IV's first. Already have the beneficial nature.

Yes, Serebii's IV calculator, found here, (http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml) has ALL the Pokemon from all five generations.

UIVIU
23rd March 2011, 4:48 AM
hey im looking for a timid charmander. if possible one with a grass HP. if you have one i wont be stingy on what to give. state your price if i have it ill give. dont be scared on big offers for it. i dont mind spending lots

Trainer Frankie
23rd March 2011, 4:55 AM

What're you telling me for? I know what ev training is. And that's not what ev training is defined as. It doesn't have to be the pokemon's best stats you put more points into.

Kyogre35
23rd March 2011, 5:07 AM
hey im looking for a timid charmander. if possible one with a grass HP. if you have one i wont be stingy on what to give. state your price if i have it ill give. dont be scared on big offers for it. i dont mind spending lots

Wrong forum, try the TRADING forum.

NES
23rd March 2011, 5:24 AM
Smogon also has a section that describes Effort Values (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85403)

Thanks a lot for that link, i was looking for that exactly. I probably overlooked it while navigating smogon the other day.

Gyarados Rage
23rd March 2011, 5:25 AM
What're you telling me for? I know what ev training is. And that's not what ev training is defined as. It doesn't have to be the pokemon's best stats you put more points into.

Whoops, didn't mean to quote what you said on that. Sorry.

Your totally right. It doesn't have to be the Pokemon's best stats you put the EV's into. I meant to quote someone else but forget it now.

Anyways, on the IV's anybody know were you can calculate the IV's of your pokemon for 5th gen?

Aquarelle
23rd March 2011, 5:35 AM
Anyways, on the IV's anybody know were you can calculate the IV's of your pokemon for 5th gen?

Sigh..you must've totally missed my post. :/

Anyway, it's here. (http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml)

Ainam
23rd March 2011, 7:45 AM
I don't quite understand EV's. I've just hatched a brand spanking new Charmander and I want to EV train it. Apparently the best EV training would be 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe. How exactly do I do that? The guides are all very complicated. But from what I can gather, Zubat, when defeated give 1 speed EV point, right? so if I kill 252 my EV training for charmanders speed would be done? And I know that every 4 ev points is one stat point. is that one stat point above their base stat?

thank you.

Rakurai
23rd March 2011, 7:58 AM
You can use vitamins to raise an EV up to 100, so you'd need to beat up 152 Zubat to max your speed before factoring hold items that increase EV gains.

A Macho Brace would reduce the number needed to 76, and a Power Anklet to a mere 30 (You'd have 250 speed EVs at that point). The Pokerus would further cut those numbers in half, to only 38 and 15.

Ainam
23rd March 2011, 8:11 AM
Just to clarify, if I give charmander a power anklet, the amount of zubat i'll need to kill will be divided by 5? (1 speed from battle, and 4 from the power anklet) so i'd defeat 50 zubat to take me to 250 ev's, take off the power anklet, kill 2 more and my speed ev training would be done? also, what if i change charmander out and use another pokemon to win the battle, does charmander still get the ev's?

Aquarelle
23rd March 2011, 8:22 AM
Just to clarify, if I give charmander a power anklet, the amount of zubat i'll need to kill will be divided by 5? (1 speed from battle, and 4 from the power anklet) so i'd defeat 50 zubat to take me to 250 ev's, take off the power anklet, kill 2 more and my speed ev training would be done? also, what if i change charmander out and use another pokemon to win the battle, does charmander still get the ev's?

Yes. If you give Charmander the Power Anklet and then fight a Zubat, it will get 5 speed EVs. So defeating 50 will give you 250 EVs, and then fighting 2 more without holding the Power Anklet will bring you to 252 EVs.

If you switch Charmander out of battle, it will still get the 5 EVs per Zubat. It doesn't matter if another Pokemon wins the battle; as long as Charmander participated and gains experience, it gains EVs.

Ainam
23rd March 2011, 8:31 AM
Thanks guys. How much difference does nature have? I want a Timid Charmander but havent been lucky yet. I have several bold, adamant, brave, calm and modest charmanders. Will any of those natures suffice?

PsychoIncarnate
23rd March 2011, 8:38 AM
Thanks guys. How much difference does nature have? I want a Timid Charmander but havent been lucky yet. I have several bold, adamant, brave, calm and modest charmanders. Will any of those natures suffice?

Nature makes or breaks a pokemon

Charizard can be adamant or modest depending on how you want to use him

Aquarelle
23rd March 2011, 8:39 AM

Nature boost one stat by 10% and lower another by 10% (and some do nothing). They can make a major difference in your stats, so it's always good to use one that will boost your Pokemon's most important stat.

I would keep trying to get a Timid Charmander if that's what you really want. Having a higher Speed stat is very useful.

EDIT: I was ninja'd. :/

TehBrawlGuy~
23rd March 2011, 8:39 AM

If you're going for Timid, Modest would suffice unless you really need the Speed.

Brianocerous
23rd March 2011, 10:29 AM
Hey does metalkids IV calculator work for 5th gen or would i be better of using the one previously linked?

Aquarelle
23rd March 2011, 10:32 AM
Hey does metalkids IV calculator work for 5th gen or would i be better of using the one previously linked?

Metalkids will work, it has all the fifth gen Pokemon on it. However, it still uses the Japanese names for the new Pokemon, so it might be confusing if you don't know them.

The Metalkids calculator is here (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx) if you're interested.

Brianocerous
23rd March 2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks. Also where can I get a list of what pokemon belong to which tier?

PandaGuns
23rd March 2011, 12:34 PM
Is there a list of what natures affect which stats anywhere?

Aquarelle
23rd March 2011, 12:41 PM
Is there a list of what natures affect which stats anywhere?

Right here. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natures#List_of_Natures)

Trainer Frankie
23rd March 2011, 1:29 PM
Does embargo stop the macho brace and power items from giving evs?

Metapod
23rd March 2011, 3:29 PM
Hey, I have a problem with the EVs in 5th gen. I've had no problem in 3rd and 4th gen, but it seems that I keep not filling them up in my White version. I'm getting 510+, or at least I thought, but that checker girl in Opelucid (sp??) always says that I need more effort.

For example, my Karrablast... I gave it 35 vitamins total (across 4 stats -- so it got 100 HP, 100 Sp Def, 100 Def, and 50 Att)

Then I defeated 38 Stunfisk/Palpitoad with Macho Brace equipped to get the remaining 152 I watned for HP (so 252 HP now).

Then I fought 4 Lillipups to finish up the attack EVs (so it now has 58).

That leaves me with 252 + 58 + 100 + 100, or 510. I check with the girl... still need more effort. I fought a few more Lillipups just to see if it pushes me over... no, she still says I need more effort.

I even showed her the Pokemon I used through the story (I'm done with the story now) like my Emboar, and she tells THEM they need more effort, too. I can't help but figure they've probably gotten all their EVs by now...

And she just seems to always tell me I need more effort, no matter what I do :( What am I doing wrong?

(BTW, she did finally tell my Seismitoad he put forth effort... probably the Pokemon I've used the most throughout the story... but still... why only him? I kept Lilligant first in the party throughout most of the game, so I figured she'd get tons of EVs...)

Also, I got the EVs from the Palpi/Stunfs by keeping Karrablast first in party, then switching out to something to defeat them. That worked in previous gens, but that's the only thing I can imagine that didn't give him EVs... because the vitamins would have had to, and I fought the Lillipups with just Karrablast.

Trainer Frankie
23rd March 2011, 3:48 PM
I double-checked the calculations for your karrablast and it should have 510 evs.

Can your karrablast use any of the six wings? I'd try using a genius wing to give it one sp atk point. If it doesn't take the wing, I'd say you were right with the evs and it must be a problem with her.

I'm not as far in the game, so I can't see what she'd say about the pokemon I maxed evs with.

sunnygowing
23rd March 2011, 8:31 PM
After getting all the required EVs, can u train as normal and use items such as the Lucky Egg and Exp Share?

PsychoIncarnate
23rd March 2011, 8:33 PM
Thanks. Also where can I get a list of what pokemon belong to which tier?

I don't believe Generation 5 really has a complete tier list at the moment, mostly speculations

Trainer Frankie
23rd March 2011, 8:41 PM
After getting all the required EVs, can u train as normal and use items such as the Lucky Egg and Exp Share?
Well unless the evs are maxed, you'll still get them.

So if you have the 510 evs each pokemon can have max, then you can battle freely since the pokemon won't get anymore evs.

bippacooleth
23rd March 2011, 10:08 PM
Hi, I just bred an Adamant Golett and I was just wondering what the best EV spread would be for it? I'm assuming max attack, and then either defence or HP? I'm not too sure :P

Mauville
24th March 2011, 2:47 AM
Hey, I have a problem with the EVs in 5th gen. I've had no problem in 3rd and 4th gen, but it seems that I keep not filling them up in my White version. I'm getting 510+, or at least I thought, but that checker girl in Opelucid (sp??) always says that I need more effort.

For example, my Karrablast... I gave it 35 vitamins total (across 4 stats -- so it got 100 HP, 100 Sp Def, 100 Def, and 50 Att)

Then I defeated 38 Stunfisk/Palpitoad with Macho Brace equipped to get the remaining 152 I watned for HP (so 252 HP now).

Then I fought 4 Lillipups to finish up the attack EVs (so it now has 58).

That leaves me with 252 + 58 + 100 + 100, or 510. I check with the girl... still need more effort. I fought a few more Lillipups just to see if it pushes me over... no, she still says I need more effort.

I even showed her the Pokemon I used through the story (I'm done with the story now) like my Emboar, and she tells THEM they need more effort, too. I can't help but figure they've probably gotten all their EVs by now...

And she just seems to always tell me I need more effort, no matter what I do :( What am I doing wrong?

(BTW, she did finally tell my Seismitoad he put forth effort... probably the Pokemon I've used the most throughout the story... but still... why only him? I kept Lilligant first in the party throughout most of the game, so I figured she'd get tons of EVs...)

Also, I got the EVs from the Palpi/Stunfs by keeping Karrablast first in party, then switching out to something to defeat them. That worked in previous gens, but that's the only thing I can imagine that didn't give him EVs... because the vitamins would have had to, and I fought the Lillipups with just Karrablast.

I didn't do the math for your Pokemon you mentioned, but it could very possible be human error on your part.

Also, if you don't have pokerus, macho bracer, or any other items that help boost EV training, you'll have to face a lot of Pokemon to get maxed EV's. Like fulfilling max EV's on a Pokemon without any short-cuts takes a lot of time and battles.

colton has glitches
24th March 2011, 2:57 AM
if anyone has a power item for breeding and carrying on stats pm or vm me if u want to trade

Trainer Frankie
24th March 2011, 2:58 AM
I didn't do the math for your Pokemon you mentioned, but it could very possible be human error on your part.

Also, if you don't have pokerus, macho bracer, or any other items that help boost EV training, you'll have to face a lot of Pokemon to get maxed EV's. Like fulfilling max EV's on a Pokemon without any short-cuts takes a lot of time and battles.
I did do the math and they should have maxed the evs.

Dasdardly
24th March 2011, 3:03 AM
I did do the math and they should have maxed the evs.

Just checking, what does she say to you?

Beck
24th March 2011, 3:08 AM
Just to clarify:

I have 88 EVs invested in my Pokemon's Defense stat. I use 2 Irons. Does my total stop at 100 EVs, or would it go to 108?

Trainer Frankie
24th March 2011, 3:17 AM
Would stop at 100 I believe.

Aquarelle
24th March 2011, 3:23 AM
I don't think I've reached her yet. I just reached Mistral City. Where is she?

Opelucid City.

She says something about how your Pokemon put in a lot of effort or something when they have full EVs.
EDIT: She says your Pokemon "put in a great effort" if it has full EVs.

Kyogre35
24th March 2011, 3:23 AM
Does embargo stop the macho brace and power items from giving evs?

No

Just like if embargo is used on a Lucky Egg holding pokemon and it still gets the boost.

Hydrogen
24th March 2011, 3:24 AM
I saw someone wanted a timid charmander and I have to say that bellyzard is BEAST

PsychoIncarnate
24th March 2011, 3:25 AM
I saw someone wanted a timid charmander and I have to say that bellyzard is BEAST

Bellyzard hasn't been able to compete for the last 2 generations, since Stealth Rock was introduced

Trainer Frankie
24th March 2011, 3:30 AM
No

Just like if embargo is used on a Lucky Egg holding pokemon and it still gets the boost.
I thought I read somewhere that hold items get effected too. Just wanted to make sure. Before finding out an answer, I kept restarting when the sandiles I had to face used embargo. Got annoying.

@Aqua Thanks. Yea, not far enough in the game, so can't check what she says about my ev maxed pokemon.

Legendary Dreams
24th March 2011, 7:26 AM
Just checking, if I have a pokemon with a Power Lens (+4 Spatk EVs), with Pokerus (x2) facing a Litwick (+1 Spatk), then I switch it out with another pokemon, by the end of the battle, the pokemon with the lens should still get 10 Spatk EVs, correct?

Dasdardly
24th March 2011, 7:43 AM
Just checking, if I have a pokemon with a Power Lens (+4 Spatk EVs), with Pokerus (x2) facing a Litwick (+1 Spatk), then I switch it out with another pokemon, by the end of the battle, the pokemon with the lens should still get 10 Spatk EVs, correct?

Yup. I've been doing that all day.

Hydrogen
24th March 2011, 12:48 PM
Bellyzard hasn't been able to compete for the last 2 generations, since Stealth Rock was introduced

Lead with it instead and it works for me quite well, personally. :)