PDA

View Full Version : Rotation Battles Discussion

legendarypokemonmaster
27th March 2011, 6:42 PM
If you like Rotation Battles, then this is the thread for you! Rotation battles are one of the new styles of battling brought with Black and White. With three pokemon out at the same time the possibilities are enormous and the min games from possible rotation are endless. So discuss your strategies for Rotation Battles!

AromaFlora
29th March 2011, 11:40 AM
I guess I'll start off even though I have poor experiences with Rotation Battles. At the very least, theorymon is better than nothing.

Status seems to be pretty strong in Rotation battles, as they're a "catch-all" if you manage to rotate the wrong Pokemon in. Sleep is incredibly, and has always been, useful in incapacitating a Pokemon so that another one of your Pokemon can set up freely. Burn itself it useful if you can't decide which physical Pokemon this guy's going to rotate in. And, as always, Thunder Wave is great for its hax and lowering of Speed to allow slow Pokemon to rotate in easier.

Using Reflect/Light Screen/Safeguard seems to do great with Pokemon that don't learn or want to use any of those moves, but set up (Volcarona and Quiver Dance, Salamence and Dragon Dance, Latios and Calm Mind, the list goes on and on). It's good since you don't have to "waste" a turn switching in your Pokemon, unlike Singles. Pretty nifty considering that you can just rotate out your Pokemon after it boosts (hopefully your opponent couldn't stop it/didn't predict it) and preserve them for later on. Best not get greedy with the boosting though as your opponent will outsmart you at some point!

Yeah, Rotation Battle is very interesting. It's nothing like Doubles and Triples since it's 1v1 in reality, but entry hazards are less useful, and there's a plethora of stuff that attributes solely for Rotation Battle. It doesn't seem like a popular metagame as thus far, but hopefully it'll grow in the future (and have easy strategies I can leech off of hehe...).

Ruskittlez
31st March 2011, 1:41 AM
I really like Rotation Battles, the idea that you never know which pokemon is attacking is very very interesting and fact-paced.

AromaFlora
2nd April 2011, 12:35 AM
Yep, the unpredictability of the battles keeps things interesting indeed. Sometimes it's even frustrating especially if you keep getting on the wrong end of the stick! Maybe that's why it's not so popular atm...

legendarypokemonmaster
2nd April 2011, 2:38 AM
They will catch on eventually...I think. Maybe I should add a Triples vs Rotation poll.
Rotation is very fast paced and harder for me than Triples or any other type of battle for me. I see some great opportunities for stall. With three pokemon, you should be able to cover most weaknesses if you predict correctly.

chanseychansey77
2nd April 2011, 7:02 AM
^Yes, it can totally be a defensive kind of battle. For example, I'm currently forming a Rotation team with Ferrothorn, Jellicent (defensive synergy) and Sigilyph (immune to ground, which both Ferrothorn and Jellicent take neutral damage). Sigilyph has Cosmic Power and Roost to make it impenetrable, a Flame Orb and Psycho Shift to burn the opposing team, and Stored Power to crush the opposition. Ferrothorn has Stealth Rock and Leech Seed to gradually weaken the opposition, and Jellicent has Will-O-Wisp, Recover, and Taunt to prevent the same thing happening to me. I love Rotation Battles.

jesusfreak94
2nd April 2011, 1:32 PM
^Yes, it can totally be a defensive kind of battle. For example, I'm currently forming a Rotation team with Ferrothorn, Jellicent (defensive synergy) and Sigilyph (immune to ground, which both Ferrothorn and Jellicent take neutral damage). Sigilyph has Cosmic Power and Roost to make it impenetrable, a Flame Orb and Psycho Shift to burn the opposing team, and Stored Power to crush the opposition. Ferrothorn has Stealth Rock and Leech Seed to gradually weaken the opposition, and Jellicent has Will-O-Wisp, Recover, and Taunt to prevent the same thing happening to me. I love Rotation Battles.

Do Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock work in Rotation Battles? I'd think so, except rotating isn't exactly switching.

legendarypokemonmaster
2nd April 2011, 7:00 PM
No, I am pretty sure stealth rock and such take effect only if you actually switch out. Although, poison, especially toxic works extremely well as you can easily forget about one of your pokemon that is not rotated in and it will slowly get taken down.

streetlightdsb
2nd April 2011, 7:41 PM
Do Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock work in Rotation Battles? I'd think so, except rotating isn't exactly switching.

For actual switching, yes. Not for rotations though. Hazards are practically worthless in rotation battles; similar to doubles and triples, there's very little switching involved.

Haxorusfan
2nd April 2011, 9:39 PM
I like Triple cause Earthquake KILLSssssss. But I just like single battles the best

Grei
2nd April 2011, 9:59 PM
Rotation Battles are awesome. It's all about anticipation, and I love it. Rotation Battles > Triple Battles, IMO.

Absol Wings
2nd April 2011, 10:09 PM
I honestly think they kinda went too far with 3 vs 3 battles. I mean, there's always been unpredictability, but here it's just too much even to put up any decent strategy.

Pseudo-Unlegendary
10th April 2011, 4:53 AM
Triple battles for me just showed we are inching closer and closer to full 6-on-6 brawl mode, the sextuple battle. That scares me.

AquaRegisteel
10th April 2011, 2:50 PM
These battles are quite good.

They are quiet unpredictable, and it is easier to lure moves like Earth Power,Fire Blast,Dragon Pulse and stuff like that, then rotate to Immune/Resistant Pokemon.
Very clever Ninty!

Haxorusfan
10th April 2011, 3:47 PM
Shedinja is one of my favorites for rotation battles. One question does shadow tag make it so the pokemon can't rotate???

Agent426
10th April 2011, 7:00 PM
Shedinja is one of my favorites for rotation battles. One question does shadow tag make it so the pokemon can't rotate???

You can still rotate if the opponent has Shadow Tag etc, but you can't switch. OF course, in Rotation battles you generally don't need to switch much, you have everyone you need out!

KalenArleth
11th April 2011, 4:37 AM
I love Rotation battles.
But yeah, the unpredictability of it can be annoying at times. BUT ALSO AWESOME. :D

Shining Fire
11th April 2011, 5:14 AM
I don't like them because my friend takes out a Shedinja with Sturdy every time we have a 3-on-3.

yeminied
11th April 2011, 6:38 AM
I find Rotation Battles easier than Triple Battles. It's because my Pokémon always die when they get hit with three moves in a row.

Though in saying that I have only played in-game battles so my experience is limited.

My favourite would have to be Rotation Battles over Triples because they are just more fun being able to rotate the Pokémon and still attack.

penguinofhonor
15th April 2011, 1:38 AM
I love rotation battles - there's just so much strategy. And unlike triple battles, your tactics don't have to change all that much from normal battles.

Venomfang
15th April 2011, 11:31 PM
I love both of them.

legendarypokemonmaster
16th April 2011, 12:40 AM
Guys, this is in the competitive section, so try to talk about strategy, tactics, etc....

MudkipsAreAwesome
17th April 2011, 3:40 AM
Slaking is nice in rotations cause you can rotate away on a traunt turn, take the hit with skarmbliss combo, and murder the next turn again.

legendarypokemonmaster
17th April 2011, 5:08 AM
That's not a bad idea, can you rotate while recharging? I doubt it though.

Firebrand
22nd April 2011, 3:54 AM
I greatly prefer them to triple battles. Those are just utter craziness, while rotation is all about building the perfect team and taking calculated risks. Im playing white, so i only started rotation post elite 4, but i play on wifi all the time now.
My rotation team is boufallant (sp? Mines nicknamed, i have no clue how to spell it) volcarona, and hydregion. Boufalant has a crazy attack, and takes a lot to nring down, plus sap sipper. Volcarona's a sweeper that can bring down almost anything but rock types, and hydregions diverse movepool allows for maximum coverage, and it benefits from levitate.

Pojay
22nd April 2011, 5:14 AM
I LOVE rotation battles... too bad they're not popular and I can never find people to fight in RM. It's fun to try to predict your opponents move... it's not just a contest of the best Pokemon.

Excitable Boy
22nd April 2011, 5:13 PM
You think this could work in 3 on 3 Rotations?

DrizzleToed
Random Sashed Pokemon using Trick Room
DeepSeaTooth Clamperl, Quiet, 252 SpA/252 HP, 31/31/31/31/31/0

Basically, lead with DrizzleToed, use Trick Room 1st turn, sweep with Clamperl. Has a crapton of power and no Speed, so it should OHKO the entire opposing side.

Zachmac
22nd April 2011, 5:48 PM
I'm actually pretty good at them. I've seen a lot of rage quitters, but I still have 8 wins to 0 losses.

They're fun. :D. I use jumpluff. It spreads paralysis, then leach seeds to help it's teammates set up.(DD haxorus, SD scissor).
Basically, lead with DrizzleToed, use Trick Room 1st turn, sweep with Clamperl. Has a crapton of power and no Speed, so it should OHKO the entire opposing side.
That falls to speed priority.
That's not a bad idea, can you rotate while recharging? I doubt it though.
I'm pretty sure you can't, since you have to select "attack" in order to rotate.

Excitable Boy
22nd April 2011, 10:44 PM
That falls to speed priority.

Hence why I invest in HP EVs. Water also happens to resist Aqua Jet and Ice Shard, two of the more common priority attacks.

Can I use Protect twice in a row if it's on two different Pokemon? As in, I Protect, rotate to something else, Protect again, rotate back, Protect again, etc?

GokuRikaku
22nd April 2011, 11:16 PM
Can I use Protect twice in a row if it's on two different Pokemon? As in, I Protect, rotate to something else, Protect again, rotate back, Protect again, etc?

No, that won't work. If the Pokemon protects, rotate, then rotate back and try to protect, it will have a chance to fail.

Excitable Boy
23rd April 2011, 12:13 AM
No, that won't work. If the Pokemon protects, rotate, then rotate back and try to protect, it will have a chance to fail.

Dammit. There goes one budding strategy.

Thanks, though.

Zachmac
23rd April 2011, 12:24 AM
This is one of my favorite forms of battle. I'm doing a great job too, 10 wins and 1 loss, not including fights against rage quitters.

Actually, I'm using my single battle team for this, and it works surprisingly well.

legendarypokemonmaster
24th April 2011, 4:07 PM
DrizzleToed
Random Sashed Pokemon using Trick Room
DeepSeaTooth Clamperl, Quiet, 252 SpA/252 HP, 31/31/31/31/31/0
I think it could work, but good luck setting it up. You will either be taunted, or more likely KOed because of three opposing pokemon.

Blue Raja
24th April 2011, 7:42 PM
Slaking is nice in rotations cause you can rotate away on a traunt turn, take the hit with skarmbliss combo, and murder the next turn again.

No you can't-the rotation just suspends the chain...Detect, Protect, Truant, etc. The same way your SD or DD is suspended until you spin back in. Just like status or leech seed or confusion. You can switch out to your fourth poke and restart any chain-or reset Fake Out etc.

I love the rotation battles-they will catch on soon.

Zachmac
25th April 2011, 4:37 AM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed people usually don't rotate even after their pokemon is inflicted with status? I keep using stun spore twice in a row because of this.

Firebrand
25th April 2011, 9:24 PM
The only thing that bugs me about RM rotation battles (actually RM in general) is that people come in with a team of Latias, Hydregion, Dragonite, Garchomp, Tyranitar, and Haxorus, and most of the time, at least one or two is blatantly hacked (I've had a garchomp use frenzy plant against my samurott). Like, way to use a team of non-uber ubers. Not trying to rant or anything, it just bugs me that people do that to boost up their win count. That's the only time I'll DC, and I always do it before the match.

Zachmac
26th April 2011, 1:58 AM
The only thing that bugs me about RM rotation battles (actually RM in general) is that people come in with a team of Latias, Hydregion, Dragonite, Garchomp, Tyranitar, and Haxorus, and most of the time, at least one or two is blatantly hacked (I've had a garchomp use frenzy plant against my samurott). Like, way to use a team of non-uber ubers. Not trying to rant or anything, it just bugs me that people do that to boost up their win count. That's the only time I'll DC, and I always do it before the match.

The only hacked pokemon I fought wasn't even that bad...Fissure and Guillotine on my gengar, lol(It was a single battle to make things worse).

Anyway, after a Frenzy Plant, or any move like that, Garchomp is pretty vulnerable.

Firebrand
27th April 2011, 2:40 AM
In theory, except samurott was my last pokemon TT_TT stupid hackers, they just ruin everyone elses fun.
Oh, another team ive found effective is th good old type triangle of fire water and grass. My charizard and swampert have complimentary typing, and my sceptile is ev trained special attack and speed, plus it has protect, so it can switch into an attack very well.
I also should mention that emboar is a great asset, because of its diverse movepool. I have mine (its shiny ^_^) with flare blitz and brick break for stab and scald and wild charge for coverage. Its bulk means it can use a lot of recoil moves and still take hits (sitrus berry helps) and its movepool means it can switch into a lot of things.

kaiser soze
27th April 2011, 6:12 AM
RB strategy can be pretty complicated because a lot of it can depend on how strategic your opponent is. lets say I have squirtle up with charmander and bulbasaur behind me, and my opponent has tepig with snivy and oshawott for support. common sense would say he would switch to snivy, so I switch to charmander for the KO. But I notice some people wont do it. jury's out on whether or not theyre being smart and anticipating me anticipate a switch, or theyre just not using strategy

DoubleJG3288
7th May 2011, 6:45 AM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed people usually don't rotate even after their pokemon is inflicted with status? I keep using stun spore twice in a row because of this.

Majority of the people that I have battled through Random tend to rotate nearly every turn. I have, however, battled one or two people who fail to understand the importance of rotating.

Aquadon
7th May 2011, 8:47 AM
Rotation Battle seems to be better, but I have yet to full try it out.

Psycho Cut
7th May 2011, 1:11 PM
Yeah, I love Rotation Battles, they're so much better than triple battles.

The stategy required is a lot greater and more technical (such as things like calling bluffs) than normal and there's a great sense of anticipation. Rotation Battles are awesome! :D

Manaphione123
7th May 2011, 2:42 PM
There's a lot more need for planning and anticipating your opponents moves in Rotation battles. It's always very unpredictable when your opponent will switch so you need to plan against every possibility. Thus, status conditions play a big part. Simply putting one Pokémon to sleep can seriously wreak havoc in your opponents team. This is why Rotation Battle is my favourite battle style. Just my humble opinion there.

Casty
7th May 2011, 10:44 PM
Rotation Battles. Triples are just a poor rip-off of Doubles that require little to no strategy, unless you count Round or Blizzard spamming as a "strategy".

Zachmac
8th May 2011, 4:10 AM
Rotation Battles. Triples are just a poor rip-off of Doubles that require little to no strategy, unless you count Round or Blizzard spamming as a "strategy".
Oh, strategy is possible. You could pull of pretty interesting ones, actually. Most people just stick with obvious ones.

foosey55
8th May 2011, 2:08 PM
I absolutely love Rotation Battles. It requires a totally completely different strategy to Triple Battles, and the fact that it is unpredictable whether the opposing pokemon will be rotated or not makes it more exciting.

Here are a few hints that seemed to help me get passed through irritating Pokemon that seems to be in nearly every team (Garchomp, Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Thundurus, Salamence and the annoying Whimsicott):

- Priority Attacks saves your lives, literally. When in the orange zone, moves like Ice Shard and Aqua Jet comes in handy. As far as i'm concerned, I recommend Ice Shard because of the dozens of Dragon and Flying Pokemon that enter the fray.
- Pile on the Status Conditions.
-Thunder Wave+ Attract+ Confuse Ray/Supersonic will have your oppenent screaming in frustration.
- Spore+Confuse Ray. The beauty is while it's asleep, confuse it.

-Perish Song strategy is quite risky. I don't recommend it unless you have Baton Pass in your arsenal.

Zachmac
10th May 2011, 2:58 AM
What happens when a pokemon uses Mean Look? I'm assuming you can still rotate, but....

legendarypokemonmaster
10th May 2011, 11:58 PM
You can't switch, which is really not that important in Triples/Rotation. There should be a move that keeps you from rotating, that would be pretty useful.

Zachmac
27th May 2011, 3:25 AM
You know Regigigas? Rumors have been going around about Rotation battles saving it, but those all got "myth busted", partially by me, actually. But I think they can save Regigigas.

Liepard
Jolly/252att/252speed
Unburden/Focus Sash
-Fake Out
-Thunder Wave
-Protect
-Night Slash
Regigigas
Jolly/252att/252speed
Slow Start/Leftovers
-Return
-Earthquake
-Substitute
-Confuse ray

It's simple. First, liepard uses fake out, and sees what the opponent is using. Then, thunderwave. Protect to see if they rotate or not. If they don't try to rotate, rotate to Regigigas and Confuse ray. If they do, Thunder Wave again. When regigigas manages to cause parafusion, there will likely be a rotate, so have Liepard use protect. Once you're ready, Substitute until slow start loses effect. Liepard gets stab against ghost types for it, so Return/Earthquake provide great coverage.

You can't switch, which is really not that important in Triples/Rotation. There should be a move that keeps you from rotating, that would be pretty useful. Ah, but not being able to rotate takes out the prediction needed, which is what Rotation Battles is about.

Mister_SGG
3rd June 2011, 10:50 PM
It's simple.

Not to ignore the rest of your post (which I did read, fyi), but I don't really see how that strategy is "simple."

Zachmac
10th June 2011, 11:45 PM
Not to ignore the rest of your post (which I did read, fyi), but I don't really see how that strategy is "simple."
Paralyze, confuse, substitute. It's explanation is long, but it's just Scouting+Parafusion to remove slow start.

3.14kachu
14th June 2011, 10:34 PM
Here are a few of the pokemon that can really shine in Rotation Battles:

Shedinja: This one is obvious. I like to combine it with pokemon resistant to its weaknesses and weak to its immunities, like Hydreigon or Tyranitar (Unnerve, please, or Sandstorm will KO Shedinja). With some prediction, I can ultimately prevent any major damage through my rotations.

Slaking: Not much is said about it, but with the rotation element, Slaking can become an ultra-powerful hit-and-run attacker that no longer faces the consequences of its terrible ability.

Zachmac
14th June 2011, 10:48 PM
Here are a few of the pokemon that can really shine in Rotation Battles:

Shedinja: This one is obvious. I like to combine it with pokemon resistant to its weaknesses and weak to its immunities, like Hydreigon or Tyranitar (Unnerve, please, or Sandstorm will KO Shedinja). With some prediction, I can ultimately prevent any major damage through my rotations.

Slaking: Not much is said about it, but with the rotation element, Slaking can become an ultra-powerful hit-and-run attacker that no longer faces the consequences of its terrible ability.The slaking thing doesn't work. Next time it rotates out, it just saves it's ability's effect until it rotates back in.

Psycho Cut
14th June 2011, 11:26 PM
The slaking thing doesn't work. Next time it rotates out, it just saves it's ability's effect until it rotates back in.
Yep, Zachmac's right. I learnt this the hard way... I find that a lucario, mismagius and a flash fire pokemon work in sync really well.

3.14kachu
15th June 2011, 1:19 AM
Oh, well, the Shedinja/Tyranitar combo would still work. Let it be known that I was the first to find a use for Unnerve Tyranitar in competitive battling!

This is a moment for the history books.