PDA

View Full Version : RPG Cafe - Open 24/7 for all your role play needs

RaZoR LeAf
9th January 2005, 2:01 PM
Welcome. A brand new forum for Role Players to come and discuss anything they may want to about RPGs. You can ask about RPG details, share ideas, plot bunnies, ask for advice and give out advice. Just have fun and follow the basic rules, which I have plaugersed from the Fanfic Cafe.

RULES

Don't blatently advertise your RPG
No spam
Put some thought into your posts, don't just post an idea you had 2 seconds ago, make sure there's something to actually read.

Hiki Ixian
12th January 2005, 11:32 AM
Does it have to be pokemon RPG's or any kind of RPG's?

RaZoR LeAf
12th January 2005, 3:48 PM
You're allowed to make RPGs on any subject.

Hiki Ixian
15th January 2005, 8:52 AM
So what happens now?

RaZoR LeAf
15th January 2005, 12:07 PM
Uh, you read the rules? You make an RPG? What do you mean "what happens now?" didn't you notice the other two forums with all the posts in? Seeing as you didn't notice the rule saying No Spam I doubt it.

PokemonMasterPika
18th January 2005, 11:30 PM
I think we need a few people to mod the ideas forum. Maybe mod isn't the best way to put it, but we need some of the deidicated RPers who will graciously review and respond to every idea in there. There are only about three replies to RP ideas and the rest are ideas that no one has replied to and have gotten buried on page one and probably won't get looked at now...

bronislav84
21st February 2005, 2:34 AM
Although I don't have any RP experience on SPP, I'm a good RPer even without any proof.

I have already PMed Castform about his failed Golden Sun RP and offered to help him out.

Assuming he accepts help, does anybody object to us making a thread about it if we decide to make a prototype before we actually post it? (For editing, discussion, development, etc.)

RaZoR LeAf
21st February 2005, 3:15 PM
That's what the cafe is for.

Hikashi
25th February 2005, 10:21 PM
So we make up our own RPGs, right? Not to sound stupid or anything, I just found this forum.
If so, I would like to make a Pokemon RPG.

Gastlis
17th March 2005, 6:47 PM
I'd like to join an RPG, but I'm kind of having trouble coming up with a good charicer. I want it to be me, but, to understand, read my title. I think I have a good idea of what to put, but what about my pokemon?

RaZoR LeAf
17th March 2005, 9:36 PM
Elite Cyborg Trainer? Well for starters, assuming you are elite in an RPG will get you no where. Cyborg, only if the RPG calls for it, so that leaves you as "trainer". If you want to base a character on yourself, it's not hard. Think about your personality, think about what you often wear, that Personality and Description done. Name, Age, Gender shoudn't be too hard for you to work out. For your pokemon, pick your favourites, pick pokemon you don't use in games very often, be imginative, pick randomly. But don't pick legendaries unless the RPG says you can.

Gastlis
17th March 2005, 9:42 PM
So, you just want me to change my title? Then I'd have to change my charicter description a bit. Thats what you want me to do?

Oh, and I changed the way of my RPG charicter. You can check it out.

Xkraid
18th March 2005, 9:01 PM
Err... If anyone has seen me RPing how good do you think i am? I think im not an RP n00b but not good enough to be an Advanced RPer, right? Cause i was wandering how can i make my RPing better so i'll be an advanced RPer?

Lemurian
18th March 2005, 10:14 PM
Since this is a Cafè, I have a question to all the RPGers who goes in here;

What is the best RPG you ever have entered?

RaZoR LeAf
19th March 2005, 1:21 AM
So, you just want me to change my title? Then I'd have to change my charicter description a bit. Thats what you want me to do?

Oh, and I changed the way of my RPG charicter. You can check it out.

I think you misunderstand. There are more than one RPG going on here, each with a different plot and requiring different types of characters. Your user title is meaningless in RPGs, it has no influence on your character what-so-ever.

Gastlis
19th March 2005, 10:33 PM
Okay, I think I've got it now. I changed my title, my RPG profile...heh, is that good? *shivers at thought of being told something bad*

Xkraid
19th March 2005, 11:10 PM
Damn... Im beng ignored... Lol just joking! Lemurian asked what the best RPG we ever joined was and mine has to be The Great Search a.k.a. The Search For Serebii but it died a long time ago...

Project Alpha
28th March 2005, 6:27 PM
I have a question I've been wondering for a bit. Do we have to PM a mod to make a discussion thread for our RPG'S? Just wondering.

RaZoR LeAf
28th March 2005, 6:53 PM
Not really. But if it's not used for discussion and turns into a spam or chat thread it'll get closed.

The best RPG i've ever been in was the Pokemon School at The Pokemasters. Every season from start to finish had a character of mine in, and it was great fun.

bronislav84
30th April 2005, 6:22 AM
The best overall RP I was in was the Sonic RP by Kaiser, but he got all n00bs with no intent to come back and it died shoretly thereafter, even with my attempts to keep it alive.

Currently, the best RP that I'm is Carcaptors: Blossoming of the Clow, by Yorei.

Ok, I have a question. Me and Chaos are getting signups for our Megaman (AKA Rockman) RP, but it's all guys. Is there any way to get girls interested in it? I mean, there are plenty of girls on the forum, so why is it that none of them want to RP about it?

Any help is appreciated.

Shadowfaith
30th April 2005, 12:53 PM
Because they are probably not interested in Megaman XD You could get males to play the females, I mean, it's not hard, I play male characters alot XP But other than that, you will just have to hope, because unless they are interested they wont join, y'know.

bronislav84
30th April 2005, 1:29 PM
I kinda figured that, Raging. Thanks anyway. I'd ask you to join, but if you joined it would probably be out of pitty, and you'll want to not RP in it after a while. Besides, since you haven't joined yet, it must be that you don't have a thorough background (even with the info we provide) to try. Oh well. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, anyway.

Funny note: I'm playing a girl in the Cardcaptors RP, but she's kinda secluded. She's gonna make friends pretty soon, though. I'm still learning how to RP girls.

The_Mighty_Medicham
12th May 2005, 1:23 AM
Are you doing that thing where advanced RPers will reply to an RPG idea if no one else is? Because I posted an idea in the 2005 RPG Ideas post, but no one is offering any advice or help.

Tommo_Volbeat
3rd July 2005, 3:54 PM
i feel like an idiot not knowing anything

AKEBOSHI
29th August 2005, 2:57 AM
The best RP I'm in is 'A Brand New Adventure'. Mainly because I RP as a Gym Leader :/;;

fhqwhgads
10th September 2005, 7:38 PM
How do you work an RPG? I know it's text and stuff, but how does it work? I want one, but I don't know how.

AKEBOSHI
10th September 2005, 7:42 PM
Um, its basicallly like typing fan-fiction, except everyone particapates.

You think of a storyline, put a sign-up thread in the Sign-ups forums saying all the plot and spoof, than put the sign-up form below indicating what the signer needs to write in order to sign up.

After several members, you put up a tread for it in the RPG forum. Start typing, the end.

King of Darkness 1201
29th October 2005, 1:12 PM
I think we need a few people to mod the ideas forum. Maybe mod isn't the best way to put it, but we need some of the deidicated RPers who will graciously review and respond to every idea in there. There are only about three replies to RP ideas and the rest are ideas that no one has replied to and have gotten buried on page one and probably won't get looked at now...

Ha Ha I beat your Hall of fame record with 2:10:18
Signed by King of Darkness 1201 aka Ringtail

+Chaos Blade+
29th October 2005, 3:45 PM
Wait a minute. Freeze Frame!!

You mods close any and all, ahem, "Stupid, Uninteresting" RPGs, those whose RPGs won't stand up to par in the RPG universe, therefore leading to only intelligent posters in this forum, being that they need to post proper grammar, use the correct sentence formats, be elaborate, describe well, et cetera.

There can't be any newbies to the RPG universe SPAMing up the place, so why are the Post Counts disabled?

RaZoR LeAf
29th October 2005, 4:31 PM
Serebii's choice not ours.

+Chaos Blade+
29th October 2005, 4:53 PM
I see. Lemme guess, the same goes for the Completed Fics section in the Fan Fiction forum.

skiboydoggy
23rd November 2005, 4:02 AM
I have been flitting through the roleplays on this forum, and those who seem to try and actually get accepted look rather okay...
Now, that's beside the point... But the sign-up section seems utterly and totally plagued by complete n00bs or newbs. Newbs I can stand, n00bs I cannot.

Anyway, one problem I have seen amongst roleplayers is that all of their characters are exactly the same every time they roleplay. It gets rather scary. I mean, one can only see a "Mr. X" who is "This, this, this, and this." in a Pokemon/Digimon/Sonic/Completely unrelated roleplay so many times before feeling the need to kill rising.

Has anyone else noticed this? Because if not, then I am just on the path of getting more people irritated at me because of my high and mighty attitude when it comes to roleplays.
(Nobody believes in noisy lurkers anymore do they?)
Perhaps that is the wrong way to start off on Serebii, seeing as how most are not here to roleplay, but it seems to work after a while.

-Hugs people who decided that they could get better after they got screamed at by me who are not on sppf at all.-

RaZoR LeAf
23rd November 2005, 12:33 PM
I have been flitting through the roleplays on this forum, and those who seem to try and actually get accepted look rather okay...
Now, that's beside the point... But the sign-up section seems utterly and totally plagued by complete n00bs or newbs. Newbs I can stand, n00bs I cannot.

Anyway, one problem I have seen amongst roleplayers is that all of their characters are exactly the same every time they roleplay. It gets rather scary. I mean, one can only see a "Mr. X" who is "This, this, this, and this." in a Pokemon/Digimon/Sonic/Completely unrelated roleplay so many times before feeling the need to kill rising.

Has anyone else noticed this? Because if not, then I am just on the path of getting more people irritated at me because of my high and mighty attitude when it comes to roleplays.
(Nobody believes in noisy lurkers anymore do they?)
Perhaps that is the wrong way to start off on Serebii, seeing as how most are not here to roleplay, but it seems to work after a while.

-Hugs people who decided that they could get better after they got screamed at by me who are not on sppf at all.-

Well some people do make one character who they like to reuse when the story fits it. They change certain sepcts to fit in the story so that's ok. But then there are the ones who just copy and paste the same details over and over with no regard for the actual plot. There are a lot of n00bs who don't make any effort, but they mostly stick to their own small plotless rpgs and dare not try for the bigger ones because they just can't keep their attenton on the plot long enough to read it all.

But in any case, welcome to the RPG forum. If you need anything, just PM.

Melodrama
6th December 2005, 9:37 PM
So, I really do not know what to do with this idea of mine. Can I post it here, or do I make a separate topic? Because I just recently rejoined, and I don't see a topic screaming "Post your ideas here!" anymore.

Latias_tamer_3
31st January 2006, 2:10 AM
*agrees* I haven't been able to find an Idea thread either, which is really bothersome. A thread that is titled: BIG IDEA THREAD!! Would be helpful. Like the HAPPY-FUN-GET-THE-WORD-OUT thread in the Fan-Fic forums. 0-o

RaZoR LeAf
31st January 2006, 2:12 PM
Did you try looking? Or even consider using the search button?

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=52706&highlight=ideas

magdaw
16th May 2006, 5:48 PM
Hm... Can I ask something?

Ok, I'm new to RPGs. I know what they're all about, I've read a few. Thing is, I really would like to get started. But I get rejected left right and center.

That's why I joined serebii.net. Seemed to have a good RPG community, so I tried to start my own, and I also tried to join two. But, unfortunately I haven't come off to a good start. The RPG I started only got 2 sign-ups, one of which I had to decline because it didn't fit the rules. I expected that, no one here knows me. The two I tried to join denied me. First because I seemed 'too new' to RPing. Well, where am I going to get practice? Second because my character was off (and I was meant to put an example) but I couldn't think what was wrong with it.

I think I put nicely detailed, complex and unusual characters. Anyone got any tips on how I can improve?

RaZoR LeAf
17th May 2006, 4:32 PM
Your best bet is to start off with your own RPGs. Make them something simple, so that people will join. Depending on what kind of people you'd like to RPG alongside, make the plot either very simple, or detailed enough to frighten off the one liners.

Also, Lady Myuu is going to set up a school soon, so if you're still looking for experience, I'm sure she'll be able to help out there

Lady Myuu
18th May 2006, 12:19 AM
I have started the rpg school, so those of you who said they don't know what to do may want to check it out.

Its going pretty smoothly now and you can join whenever needed. You can find it as a sticky on the cafe like this thread.

~RaikouRider243~
22nd July 2006, 5:31 PM
Is it acceptable around here to implement some elements of D&D into an RP?

RaZoR LeAf
22nd July 2006, 9:31 PM
As long as they work out and are fully explained. Dias has use D&D elements several times in his RPGs.

Lemurian
24th July 2006, 9:33 PM
Is player-killing in RPGs allowed if the GM allows it? 'Cause I need to know for a new RPG.

~RaikouRider243~
27th July 2006, 5:45 AM
I don't see why not. After all, if the DM is running the show like he's supposed to be, he can allow player-killing if it doesn't screw up the plot.

SilverDragon7683
21st December 2006, 2:12 PM
I have a question.
I have been messing around with a game/comic idea for almost 2 years now going through a massive ammount of tweaking. I think that it would make a good RP idea, but I have never done one before. But My questions are,

1.Does the DM HAVE to be the "bad guy"
2.Can the DM be one of the main plot characters?
3.Can the DM be both the bad guy and a main plot character?
4.Would anyone like to help me and be a co-DM because I really like this idea, but I'd probably mess it up.....I have no idea what to do. I can explain the plot and everything. Cuz I kinda need a "controled" Bad guy and this one other character.

Psychic
21st December 2006, 3:03 PM
o.O First of all, it's the GM, short for Game Master.

But to answer your questions:
The GM can have whatever role they want in an RPG. They can act as one of the 'hero' characters, they can be the main villain, or they don't even need to be a character. Some GMs choose to act almost as the enviornemt: their posts will consist entirely of throwing obstacles and such at the RPGers.

The GM has free reign to do pretty much whatever they want, since it's their own RP. They can have as many characters as they want, some of which can just be 'plot' characters.

If you're looking for a GM, your best bet would probably be just to PM someone who you notice to have decent RPing skills and ask them if they'd want to help you. Or, what most people do is they open up Sign Ups, and if they see someone who looks good enough, they offer the person who Signed Up the position of Co-GM.

Hope that helped,

~Psychic

SilverDragon7683
21st December 2006, 3:47 PM
o.O First of all, it's the GM, short for Game Master.
~Psychic

D'oh!>.<See, I knew I'd mess up!

But to answer your questions:
The GM can have whatever role they want in an RPG. They can act as one of the 'hero' characters, they can be the main villain, or they don't even need to be a character. Some GMs choose to act almost as the enviornemt: their posts will consist entirely of throwing obstacles and such at the RPGers.

The GM has free reign to do pretty much whatever they want, since it's their own RP. They can have as many characters as they want, some of which can just be 'plot' characters.

If you're looking for a GM, your best bet would probably be just to PM someone who you notice to have decent RPing skills and ask them if they'd want to help you. Or, what most people do is they open up Sign Ups, and if they see someone who looks good enough, they offer the person who Signed Up the position of Co-GM.
~Psychic

Okay then. I'll try a help wanted or something.

ESPEON FOREVER
25th December 2006, 6:17 PM
question, I have a good RPG idea, but can rarely get online (often once evey 2 weeks). Should I wait until I get more time online, or is it okay to try it out now?

ShawnYuu
2nd January 2007, 11:49 PM
are you ever going to RP here?

RaZoR LeAf
3rd January 2007, 5:01 PM
question, I have a good RPG idea, but can rarely get online (often once evey 2 weeks). Should I wait until I get more time online, or is it okay to try it out now?

It depends how complicated the RPG is, or how big you intent or forsee it to be. If it's one that will have a lot of interaction and involvement, then you're best to wait till you have more time. If it's a smaller affair with people involved who aren't going to post as often, then you can run it but don't expect it to be a quick deal.

are you ever going to RP here?

Are you going to direct your question at someone, or should we just pretend you ever posted?

ShawnYuu
6th January 2007, 6:48 AM
Sorry, umm, I guess just pretend I never posted. o.o

COHyoraku
1st February 2007, 11:09 PM
Eh, hello?

I am Lemurian here's brother and I'm really interested in the RPGing here. I wondered if anyone has any advices for a new RPG-player, except reading the rules (my brother said those were very important)?

Psychic
1st February 2007, 11:24 PM
Well first, welcome to SPPf.

Second, your brother is right: the rules are a must read, and you shouldn't post without reading them. In fact, you need to read ALL the Stickies.

In the way of advice, we ahve plenty of threads with lots of it. Just go read those. Or ask your brother, as he's a pretty experienced RPer and knows his way around.

Either way, there are plenty of helpful tips, tricks and bits of advice everywhere you look. But you actually have to LOOK instead of just posting 'give me advice'. Besides, what advice do you expect us to give you? :P

But meh, just read and follow the rules, check out a few other RPs and ask your brother to see how things work here. As long as you do so, you'll be fine.

~Psychic