PDA

View Full Version : My hack's new Pokemon (feedback please)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

darkprince909
6th April 2011, 5:48 AM
Cobal Region
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1165/pokemoncrimsonregionmap.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/pokemoncrimsonregionmap.png/)

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8310/fakemonw.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/fakemonw.png/)

Pokemon sprited so far.
Do not assume these are the final versions. They are subject to change at any time.
Pokemon by myself, maxxa, Innocent Bystander, gardevoir rocks, and Infernape77

Hi! Im a new user here, but ive been messing around with the gba rom-hacking tools for a few years, trying to figure out all the ins and outs (still not too good at scripting though :/)

I recently decided that instead of just recycling all the original 386 pokemon in firered, i was gonna introduce maybe 90 or so new ones exclusive to this region, and heres what i came up with for the grass type starter

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/darkprince909/caniferline.jpg

Their names are Pupleaf, Wolvine, and Canifer. Pupleaf is pure grass type, and gains Dark as a secondary type once it evolves.

Im not really happy with Wolvines... um... mane? (not sure a wolf exactly has a mane but w/e) but im not sure how id fix it. if someone wants to take a whack at it, id appreciate it, and ill credit you in the hack.
(an alternate name for the second stage was Wolpine, but that didnt really fit the one i drew. if someone can come up with a Wolpine, thatd be awesome)

well i hope you guys like these guys, and ill be posting more once i get them drawn :D

Now that I have permission from the moderators, this thread has shifted from a sprite showcase to a Project Thread for my Fire Red hack, Pokemon Cobalt/Crimson.

Here's a list of all the Pokemon concepts that I, along with several others here, have come up with.

Three Stage Grass/Steel Alligator Line
1st stage - Grass type, quadrupedal, small patch of grass growing out of his back
2nd stage - Grass/Steel type, larger alligator, still quadrupedal, steel plates on his body with grass growing out of the gaps
3rd stage - Grass/Steel type, even larger alligator, bipedal, larger steel plates with grass still growing out of gaps

Three Stage Fire/Dark Deer/Elk Line
1st stage - Fire type, small foal, stubby little horns, mostly red with a small black patch on his back
2nd stage - Fire/Dark type, resembles an antelope, black patch has grown larger and spread up his neck and the top of his head
3rd stage - Fire/Dark type, large elk, black patch now covers most of the pokemon except for underside of the neck, belly, and the top half of his legs. flaming hooves and tail

Three Stage Water Bear Line
* 1st stage - Aquoso - Water type, small bear cub who has adapted to hunting in the water with fins on his head and forearms
* 2nd stage - Water type, young bear who is growing more accustomed to hunting in the water. fins are larger, possibly starting to developed webbed feet.
3rd stage - Water type, adult bear. fin on head has split into two and attatched to the back of his ears, webbed paws, a ruffle of fins around his neck, all fins are larger and more streamlined than previous evos.

(May possibly be demoted to be part of a trio of elemental bears)

Three Stage Early Bug Line
* millect - bug/grass, orange caterpillar symbolizing autumn. tail could be shaped like a leaf
* blupa - bug/grass, blueish pupa/seed pod mix, symbolizing winter
* flyroth - bug/grass, green and pink moth, wings made of leaf-like material, symbolizing spring and summer
(still deciding on names for these, and preference may change with a new sprite)

Two or Three Stage Bug/Dark Praying Mantis Line
1st stage - (undecided, depends how a sprite turns out) Bug type, resembles a praying mantis's egg sack (the ones you find attatched to the underside of railings and stuff)
2nd stage - Bug type, young mantis, underdeveloped claws, lighter color than 3rd stage
* 3rd stage - Bug/Dark, adult mantis, fully developed claws, spines on his back, large protusion on the back of his head, similar to whats in the sprite thats already drawn
(I'm willing to let the design on this one stray from what I have here, as long as the line is coherent)

Three Stage Rock Coal/Diamond Geodude-esque Line
* 1st stage - Rock type, small lump of coal with stubby little legs and a grimace. He's unhappy being a lump of coal. *ooooohh I'm just a little ole lump of coal, but I'm gonna be a diamond someday*
(I have a sprite for this one already, which I really like, thanks to Innocent Bystander. I'll add his sprite to the first page. base the second and third forms off whats been started here)
2nd stage - Rock type, larger lump of coal with small diamonds sticking out on his body. stubby arms and legs. not as lumpy as before, so edges should look sharper. hes also happy that hes turning into a diamond at last.
3rd stage - Rock type, a cut diamond with a smug look on his face, no legs and longer arms made of diamonds, attatched and shaped similarly to Regice's arms.

Two Stage Stegosaurus Line (one of the fossils)

Two Stage Sabre-toothed Cat Line (the other fossil)

Two Stage Water Dolphin/Whale Line
1st stage - Water type, dolphin
2nd stage - Water type, beluga whale
(I havent thought too much on this one, so if you take this one, be creative with the design)

Farfetch'd Evolution
Flying/Fighting type, larger Farfetch'd holding dual leeks and wearing a karate jacket

Stantler Evolution
Normal type, older Stantler, more elegant/regal

Two Stage Ghost/Fighting Haunted Samuraii Armor
no specifics on this one, just make it ghostly and Pokemon-y

Pikachu clone (to keep with tradition)
Electric/Ground, rabbit with a spiky "cottonball" tail, like Jolteon's spikes. Other, regular Pikachu clone elements, but I still want him to stand apart from the others

*LEGENDARIES*

Legendary trio:
Rock Oni
Water Kappa
Flying Kamaitachi

These three act as a key to breaking the seal on the Fire Dragon below.

Mascot Legendary:
Fire/Dragon type based on a traditional Chinese Dragon.

Cute Legendary:
Ghost/Psychic tapir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above designs are open for anyone to sprite and send to me, on the condition that they will not be used for any other Pokedex project/hack/fan game/etc without my permission.

We are not actively looking for new members of this project. However, if you feel you have something you can contribute, please feel free to post/sprite/sketch/concept/etc. Any help is appreciated, and we may take you on as a permanent member if you contribute enough.

crazysteve1001
6th April 2011, 5:52 AM
they look pretty good, the legs on the 2nd and last look kinda awkward though, good job

sinful7
6th April 2011, 6:56 AM
So I thought I might aswell just point it out so I quickly did in photo shop XD, it seemed to me it would be easier :D.

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/caniferline.jpg/

darkprince909
6th April 2011, 7:30 AM
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/darkprince909/fixed.png

well i fixed Pupleaf's front paw and cut out Canifer's tumor, and i did what i could with his back left leg. it might still look a little wonky, but i cant really figure out how to make it any better. his underside is supposed to be fur. the pne needles are only on his back and the upper outside parts of his back legs

V4LOVER
6th April 2011, 9:18 PM
Pupleaf's back leg towards us is a bit fat. Canifer's shading somehow bothers me, particularly the head's shading. Otherwise, very nice job!

darkprince909
7th April 2011, 1:02 AM
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/darkprince909/comparison.jpg

I touched up Pupleaf's back leg, hopefully it looks more natural now.
I completely re-drew the second stage, and dubbed this one Wolpine. I think he fits into the line better than Wolvine. What do you guys think?
And I did a lot of touching up on Canfer's shading

Hopefully soon i can get the fire/psychic and water/fighting starters drawn up. Im thinkin of a panda line for fire and a salamander/newt kinda thing that looks sorta like a ripped swamp thing in its final form. i hope they turn out okay. when i get them done ill post them

sinful7
7th April 2011, 1:06 AM
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/darkprince909/comparison.jpg

I touched up Pupleaf's back leg, hopefully it looks more natural now.
I completely re-drew the second stage, and dubbed this one Wolpine. I think he fits into the line better than Wolvine. What do you guys think?
And I did a lot of touching up on Canfer's shading

Hopefully soon i can get the fire/psychic and water/fighting starters drawn up. Im thinkin of a panda line for fire and a salamander/newt kinda thing that looks sorta like a ripped swamp thing in its final form. i hope they turn out okay. when i get them done ill post them

Wow excellent they are. They are outstanding in my view, well done chap. If you have more like this post them!

darkprince909
7th April 2011, 1:13 AM
Thanks :D. I actually only started spriting a couple days ago. Ive done some overworld graphics, but these are the first actual new pokemon ive drawn, right now, these are all i got... actaully no i got one other. 1 sec lol

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/darkprince909/001Mosscub.png

This one is Mosscub, and he was the old first stage starter, and he was gonna evolve into Molbear (bad name is bad) and then Grizzleaf. Never drew those two though. This little guys line would become grass/fighting, if id finished them. i might recycle this one into the first stage of the fire panda line

Android Zoroark
7th April 2011, 1:22 AM
I like your sprites, but the third evo's head looks a little ... off.
I think it would look better looking more straight ahead and less to the left.
Keep going though, they are pretty good for a couple days spriting experience.

V4LOVER
8th April 2011, 12:17 AM
On the redux:

Very nice, it looks much better, although, try not to save in .JPG, but do so in .PNG.

On the new sprite:

This looks awesome as well. Though, the shading styles contradict each other in a way. There's fuzzy-like, dark, grassy shading on the back in the shade, but on the front it looks glossy, like a statue. Is this intended, or is it just a mistake? :B

darkprince909
8th April 2011, 2:19 AM
@V4LOVER
i have them saved as PNG on my computer, im just a little paranoid of them getting stolen too easily
now that you point it out, ig it does look a little wierd with the different shading. ill go back and touch that up
and thanks for the compliments guys, and the constructive criticism. I am still learning all the tricks and techniques to spriting, and the pointers are much appreciated

PS. This may not be the appropriate place to ask this, but is there anyone out there that would like to be an artist for my hack? I can show you some of what I've put together so far if you want to make sure youre not spending your time on something worthwhile. Im planning on adding 90 - 100 new Pokemon total in this new region, and drawing them all myself will take me forever, on top of the map editing, scripting, etc (plus I'm horrible at drawing back sprites)

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/darkprince909/001pupleafbackindexed.png
forgot to put this one in here. this was my attempt at Pupleaf's backsprite. I know, its not the greatest, but i needed something to put into the game as a test for uploading a new sprite. feel free to tear it apart/edit/redraw it or whatever

Shiny Arcanine
8th April 2011, 5:41 AM
Your back sprite is actually better than your full sprite.......it does it more justice and i like your idea since in the games we havent had a grass K-9 yet just Fire Dark Dark.

darkprince909
9th April 2011, 3:13 AM
idk. i just dont really like how the head looks from the back. and the eye looks wierd to me. i tried several different versions of the eye, but i couldnt get anything to look as good as whats on this one, and it still looks wierd :/

DiegoPkm
9th April 2011, 5:37 PM
your fakemon are very good

noobiess
10th April 2011, 9:38 AM
Well, you can see that you have some expierence with pixle art, but not with making pokemon.
Your sprites looks really good, but just not pokemon like... I would suggest for your fututre fakemon that you keep real pokemon near who look a bit like your fakemon. Then you can see how you should make your pokemon more pokemonish...

Ayra
10th April 2011, 6:04 PM
I agree with noobiess. The pixel art portion is really good, but the sprites themselves don't seem real. They look like they're plastic.

~Ayra~;267;

Miss Alexis
10th April 2011, 10:46 PM
These are acually pretty cool ^^

sinful7
10th April 2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks :D. I actually only started spriting a couple days ago. Ive done some overworld graphics, but these are the first actual new pokemon ive drawn, right now, these are all i got... actaully no i got one other. 1 sec lol

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy221/darkprince909/001Mosscub.png

This one is Mosscub, and he was the old first stage starter, and he was gonna evolve into Molbear (bad name is bad) and then Grizzleaf. Never drew those two though. This little guys line would become grass/fighting, if id finished them. i might recycle this one into the first stage of the fire panda line

I would really like to see the evos to mosscub if you make them.

darkprince909
11th April 2011, 4:41 AM
@ayra
what about them looks plastic? is it how theyre drawn? or maybe its just because of the colors used. i started with vibrva's palette (not sure why.) maybe if i update the palette a bit and give them more vibrant colors, or colors that dont look so um... plastic-y, theyll look better

@sinful
at this point, im not planning on using mosscub. if i change my mind at some point, ill probably update his sprite and make him only 2 stages

im still brainstorming on how i should draw the fire and water starters, and ive got some other ideas for new pokemon that i want to try, such as
- a Stantler evo
- a Farfetch'd evo
- a 2 stage dolphin line
- a jack-o-lantern
- a slenderman-esque grass/ghost pokemon (not sure if ill actually use ths one, but i just wanna make him cuz right now im addicted to marble hornets)
- a stegosaurus line for one of the fossils
- some sort of grass/dragon for one of the legendaries

im still looking for another artist for my hack, so if anyone is interested, message me. or if you have experience in scripting, music, really anything, go ahead and message me. this is a lot of work for one person, and ive love to get a team going on this

darkprince909
13th April 2011, 6:04 AM
i have the first stage of the other two starters drawn. the water starter is kinda rough, but im not really sure how to remedy that right now. little bit tired :/. ill edit this post and post pics as soon as photobucket is back up

edit: actually im really impatient lol and i just remembered i have an imageshack account so ill try that. hope you guys can see the pic

http://img155 .imageshack.us/img155/7987/startersh.png (http://img155 .imageshack.us/i/startersh.png/)

sinful7
14th April 2011, 5:34 AM
@ayra
what about them looks plastic? is it how theyre drawn? or maybe its just because of the colors used. i started with vibrva's palette (not sure why.) maybe if i update the palette a bit and give them more vibrant colors, or colors that dont look so um... plastic-y, theyll look better

@sinful
at this point, im not planning on using mosscub. if i change my mind at some point, ill probably update his sprite and make him only 2 stages

im still brainstorming on how i should draw the fire and water starters, and ive got some other ideas for new pokemon that i want to try, such as
- a Stantler evo
- a Farfetch'd evo
- a 2 stage dolphin line
- a jack-o-lantern
- a slenderman-esque grass/ghost pokemon (not sure if ill actually use ths one, but i just wanna make him cuz right now im addicted to marble hornets)
- a stegosaurus line for one of the fossils
- some sort of grass/dragon for one of the legendaries

im still looking for another artist for my hack, so if anyone is interested, message me. or if you have experience in scripting, music, really anything, go ahead and message me. this is a lot of work for one person, and ive love to get a team going on this

so could you explain this hack to me or what your sorta of doing?

And your ideas are brilliant like awesome! the slender man idea i cant wait to see that but you should make him more so dark and ghost my freind would have a heart attack if he seen a slenderman fake pokemon hes terribly scared of him XD and im very very excited to see how this all turns out

sinful7
14th April 2011, 5:36 AM
i have the first stage of the other two starters drawn. the water starter is kinda rough, but im not really sure how to remedy that right now. little bit tired :/. ill edit this post and post pics as soon as photobucket is back up

edit: actually im really impatient lol and i just remembered i have an imageshack account so ill try that. hope you guys can see the pic

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7987/startersh.png (http://img155.imageshack.us/i/startersh.png/)

The size diffrence in the starters is a bit wierd with the grass pokemon being quite a bit smaller, but they are still very well done. :D

darkprince909
14th April 2011, 7:57 AM
ive actually decided to scrap these guys as starters. the pupleaf family will still be in the game, just more as a growlithe or houndour type role. Pandember will only have one evolution i think, and im really not happy with the wooper lookalike the more i look at him.

im going to replace them with a grass/steel alligator, a fire/dark elk, and a water/ice polar bear. im trying to find an artist to draw them sugimori style and ill sprite them from there.

on the hack, if youve never seen this site, go check it out

http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156

theres a whole community dedicated to taking generation 1, 2, 3, and to an extent gen 4 (there arent any fully developed tools for gen 4 yet) and ripping all the old content out of the game and building a brand new pokemon game with the engine. thats what im trying to do. a lot of the pokemon youll see here will actually be going into my hack, youll be able to catch, train, battle, etc with all these pokemon. theres a new story, new region, new characters, new everything

as you might imagine, hacking a game solo, even with all these tools (thinks about having to edit the hex code directly *shudders*) its still a LOOOOOOT of work, and thats why ive been asking for a spriter to help me out with this project

so if anyone out there is kind enough to offer your talents, id be very grateful, and youll recieve credit of course

gardevoir rocks
14th April 2011, 1:29 PM
Hey, seen your sprites, they're really cool! I could do some custom trainers for your hack if you like. Here's some examples of trainers I have already made (you may have already seen them in my shop, The Poke Sprite Shop).

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/gardevoir1/customtrainerexamples.png

Just let me know what you want and I'll happily help you!

darkprince909
14th April 2011, 4:18 PM
those trainers do look really good, and when the time comes, ill gladly use some of yours (with your permission) but at this early stage, i need to focus on getting the pokedex created. a lot of the story events are gonna hinge on certain pokemon, and i need to get the designs for them, and the early game pokemon so i can release a beta with the first couple gyms in it.

can you also do pokemon sprites? if so id love to see them! maybe you could revamp the pupleaf line or something.

just remember that since im hacking firered, the pokemon sprites or trainer sprites cant be as big as in DPPt. They need to fit inside a 64*64 box, and have no more than 16 colors (you probably knew that, but im just saying it again lol)

but yeah, id truly appreciate any help you guys could give me :D

gardevoir rocks
14th April 2011, 7:02 PM
Wil see what I can do (not very good at scratch spriting, but I'll give it a shot), let you know when I'm done, will post it here.

darkprince909
14th April 2011, 7:04 PM
okay sounds good

Lucas.G
14th April 2011, 9:58 PM
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7987/startersh.png

They are good, they just need to be more similar to pokemon, If u can u that they will be the best fake starters ever

Lucario9
14th April 2011, 10:37 PM
Hey, seen your sprites, they're really cool! I could do some custom trainers for your hack if you like. Here's some examples of trainers I have already made (you may have already seen them in my shop, The Poke Sprite Shop).

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/gardevoir1/customtrainerexamples.png

Just let me know what you want and I'll happily help you!

This is a thread for darkprince909, not you. Plus as far vas I know, you need permission to have a multi-person project (I think).

As for the sprites, they're quite good. The shading on the water one seams off, but the others are good.

darkprince909
14th April 2011, 10:54 PM
@Lucario
I dont mind if he posts his work. Im looking for people to help me sprite for my hack.

but if its gonna be a problem, if you want to help with my hack and want to show me some examples of your work, pm me or email me at

darkprince909@yahoo.com

and if it is against the rules to have a multi-person project on here without permission (i dont see why you would need that rule in the first place though) i can always move this project to another forum, and keep this thread just for the sprites that i drew.

gardevoir rocks
15th April 2011, 10:41 AM
Ok, will pm you with my sprites from now on (oh and btw I'm a girl!!).

noobiess
15th April 2011, 10:44 AM
The new sprites looks much more pokemon,like. They look really nice but the waterstarter is turned totaly to the front.
Pokemon sprites are never totaly turned front forward...

Lucario9
15th April 2011, 2:01 PM
@Lucario
I dont mind if he posts his work. Im looking for people to help me sprite for my hack.

but if its gonna be a problem, if you want to help with my hack and want to show me some examples of your work, pm me or email me at

darkprince909@yahoo.com

and if it is against the rules to have a multi-person project on here without permission (i dont see why you would need that rule in the first place though) i can always move this project to another forum, and keep this thread just for the sprites that i drew.

Well, like I said that's what I know. You may just be able to ask the mods for permission or something along those lines.

darkprince909
15th April 2011, 2:46 PM
@gardevoir
all right that sounsd good. im looking forward to seeing what you can come up with :)

@noobies
thanks. ive decided to completely re-do the starters, make brand new pokemon for them. the Pupleaf line an Pandemer and his evo will be in the game somewhere, but the Wooper lookalike is gonna get scrapped completely i think.

@lucario
If a mod tells me i need permission for a multi-person project, then ill ask for permission. til then im just gonna assume i dont need to ask.

Sorry i havent drawn any new sprites in a few days. im waiting for my concept artist (my sister) to draw up Sugimori-style art for them. soon as she gets some done ill draw up the sprites.
*sigh* I pretty much have to put everything else in the project on hold until I get the Pokedex done :/

edit: heres a couple new sprites for you guys

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8018/tulipaandtiptulip.png (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/tulipaandtiptulip.png/)

The little one is Tulipa, and the bigger one is Tiptulip. Gardevoir sent me the original this morning, and i edited it from there, and made Tulipa from scratch. Hope you people like them.

darkprince909
16th April 2011, 2:17 AM
k i know this is a double post, and i know that this post doesnt have any actual pokemon sprites, but heres the walking and running sprites for the new hero

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2888/playermovementspriteshe.png (http://img856.imageshack.us/i/playermovementspriteshe.png/)

Ruubie>vrs<Doran
16th April 2011, 3:00 AM
you've got some ok sprites here. The two newest ones are your best. All the others are lacking, but that will come with time and practice. till then, continue to work on your sprites and you'll eventually get much better :) you have alot of potential here.

Ps. your new second wolf evo now looks like a horse rather than a wolf. just saying. ;)

darkprince909
16th April 2011, 3:13 AM
yeah, im planning on going back and touching up the old sprites that will be going into the hack at some point, after i get more experienced. and since the Pupleaf line is gonna fill Growlithe's shoes this game, i may take out the second stage completely.

Ruubie>vrs<Doran
16th April 2011, 3:30 AM
but yeah, you seem to have a general idea of shading and line art, you just need to develop your own distinct stlye of shading and line art. You should start by learning how to clean up the lineart. Try to make things more round or sharp depending on the fakemon and use patterns in your pixels.

darkprince909
17th April 2011, 11:37 PM
well the new water starter is designed. im going to start working on the sprites tomorrow after school (hopefully, right now im trying to change the town map. im almost there but i gotta figure out how to change the palette). id start tonight but i have to work :/

but yeah, give me a couple days and you should see the water starter line come to life

edit: update: I've FINALLY finished the world map. These two images were taken in-game.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7227/pokemoncobalt01.png (http://img153.imageshack.us/i/pokemoncobalt01.png/)

Hope you guys like the new region, and I'll be getting the new Pokemon to you as soon as i can

darkprince909
20th April 2011, 2:05 AM
my sis still hasnt gotten the art for the water starter to me, so i havent been able to start that one, but i do have Pandember's evolution, Panfuego (if someone can think of a better name that'd be great)

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/986/063panfuego.png (http://img9.imageshack.us/i/063panfuego.png/)

he'll be fire/psychic

i also have shiny versions of a few of the others

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5750/001pupleafshiny.png (http://img25.imageshack.us/i/001pupleafshiny.png/)http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/5205/031tulipa.png (http://img848.imageshack.us/i/031tulipa.png/)http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/5665/032tiptulip.png (http://img852.imageshack.us/i/032tiptulip.png/)

Angeltripper
20th April 2011, 2:19 AM
these are very good. could i help make the pokedex? i can do some pokemon.

darkprince909
20th April 2011, 2:36 AM
well let me see some of your work and well see. pm it to me

Angeltripper
20th April 2011, 2:55 AM
yah.........i sorta messed it up cause it was too small so i made it grow.....

edit, made a baby mole with extremly lage arms, for digging (EVEN THOUGH HE HASNT GROWN CLAWS. HE'LL HAVE ONE EVOLVUTION, sorry for caps locks) http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7348/fakemon1.png

Ruubie>vrs<Doran
20th April 2011, 3:43 AM
Perhaps I could help ;)

darkprince909
20th April 2011, 3:50 AM
he he im flattered by everyone wanting to help :). just send me a sample of your work and ill decide on the best way that id be able to use your talents. for instance, bobbyjoe5000, based on that mole, I think youd be bast at drawing the pc box sprites. gardevoir is good at doing people, etc. just make sure to send it to me in a pm, not posted here

thanks for your help guys

Angeltripper
20th April 2011, 3:51 AM
got pupleafs icon done http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4016/fakemon2icon.png

darkprince909
20th April 2011, 4:15 AM
hmm... sorry to say this bobyjoe but if thats the best you can do right now, i think its better if you take some time to practice drawing some fakemon, trainers, etc. youre skills arent at the level yet where ill be able to use your artwork. im not trying to be a dick, and i truly appreciate your offer to help, but i think at this point your time would be better spent improving your skills than getting peltered with sprite requests for this project.

on a side-note, i got a pupleaf pc box sprite done
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4882/038pupleaf.png (http://img27.imageshack.us/i/038pupleaf.png/)

gardevoir rocks
20th April 2011, 10:20 AM
I'm loving these shinies! They're awesome!

Ruubie>vrs<Doran
20th April 2011, 9:38 PM
lol just tell me something you want ok? I'll sprite it up.

Angeltripper
21st April 2011, 1:06 AM
ive used a tutorial to get better :D check yur pms if you havnt

darkprince909
21st April 2011, 5:13 AM
well, at least its the right size, but id say you still have a long way to go. pay attention to the style of the real pokemon's sprites, such as shading, and try to emulate that. and try to clean up the lines, too

idk if ill get the chance to do anything substantial with the project tonight or tomorrow. i got school in the morning and work afterwards. but this whole weekend is free, so i should be able to get quite a bit accomplished then. god i cant wait until graduation

darkprince909
21st April 2011, 11:16 PM
I have the new intro sprite for the hero drawn up. Everyone, say hello to Adam!

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7812/herointrosprite.png (http://img20.imageshack.us/i/herointrosprite.png/)

My sister has a few different concepts for his female counterpart, Molly, drawn up. Before she gets sprited, I have to decide which one i like best. I have Gardevoir working on a draft of Professor Cypress, who specializes in Pokemon legends. I don't know yet how I'm going to incorporate the Rival sprite.

And if you're wondering about the names of the hero's, you might've noticed that in the game, all the cities' names are altered names of elements, and I'm kinda going for a little bit of a chemistry theme, so Adam = atom and Molly = molecule. Clever, huh?

darkprince909
23rd April 2011, 3:52 AM
hey guys, i got the first stage of the water starter done, but i made 2 different versions of the sprite, and i cant decide which one i like better. a little help please?

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/5919/007compare.png (http://img848.imageshack.us/i/007compare.png/)

sorry for the triple post. my edit button quit working :/. think my browser got a bug

edit: oh thats why the edit button wasnt working. i was using internet explorer, and i know that browser's got a bug. switched to chrome.

my good friends on facebook told me the first version looked too much like cubchoo (and i agree) so i went back and edited him. here's the new one. let me know if you think he's still too close.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5919/007compare.png (http://img845.imageshack.us/i/007compare.png/)

Dark_Blissey
23rd April 2011, 7:22 AM
the second is way better i like it

Alliance
23rd April 2011, 10:01 AM
HE'S GOT A MOHAWK. WIN
Personally, the second versio is better, but the first pose (with one paw down) looks TOO much like Cubchoo. On the same note, the second pose looks a bit weird.... I think it's the fact it's not very shaded.
Maybe (this is just a suggestion) you should introduce another shade, one between the darkest blue and the medium one, and shade the arm like that. Might make it look a bit more 3D and less wierd.

darkprince909
23rd April 2011, 10:00 PM
I went back and made some edits to the little guy to make him look less like Cubchoo, and I think hes different enough now to stand on his own (i hope)

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4823/007edit.png (http://img814.imageshack.us/i/007edit.png/)

I doubled the size so the edits would be easier to see.
Ive also named him Aquoso
Aqua - water
Oso - Spanish for bear

edit: i just had a stroke of genius. k in my hack, in one of the towns, im planning on having a mine, where in part of it there will be a bunch of miners to battle, then a little deeper therell be an area with wild pokemon, and near the surface im planning on having a mining mini-game (which requires asm, so thatll prolly be left til later.) I dont want to reuse the geodude line as the generic cave pokemon, and this mine counts as the first cave, so what if i made a new pokemon

1st stage - a piece of coal
2nd stage - dunno yet
3rd stage - a diamond

it needs to be fleshed out from this of course, but if they turn out right in the end, theyll be pretty bada**. agree?

If someone wants to help me with these guys, be my guest :D

Alliance
24th April 2011, 11:46 AM
...Hmmn... that's actually a very nice idea.
It could start as a small lump of coal, like you said, then it's second stage.... hmmnn..... Could be a LARGER lump fo coal, with small diamonds sticking out, and diamonds for eyes. The final stage = A diamond.
A real pity I can't help much with this project of yours; I fail as a spriter. But I can help offer suggestions and the like.

Aquoso look much better now that it is shaded more. Well done. Can't really see much that needs to be edited....

Good luck on this project! :D

thaBlob
25th April 2011, 12:28 PM
They are truly awesome :) Im gonna try and make you one!

EDIT yep I know its rubbish, but I recently watched the Pokemon film with Celebi, and made a new type of pokeball.
I SCRATCH-MADE this, so Im pretty happy with it. Maybe the bad guys could have them? Well here it is!

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8351/darkballx.png

darkprince909
25th April 2011, 10:18 PM
k ive said this before, but ill say it again. if you want to send me sprites for use in my hack or to show me your skills if you want to be a spriter for it, PLEASE PM THEM TO ME!!!!

that said, for a scratch, it looks pretty good, 3d wise, but just being black and white, it looks too plain. it looks li you do have some experience with pixelart though, so if you have anything a little more... complex, id like to see it

the last few days ive been working on mapping a few areas, so i havent gotten any sprites done. ill get to work on them soon though (hopefully)

edit: here's an area that i finished mapping today. Its the first of three sections of cycling road.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9020/route58.png (http://img828.imageshack.us/i/route58.png/)

All the main cycling road tiles were ripped from emerald and painstakingly remade in the firered tileset. The sideways tunnels on the ground and on cycling road itself are custom. The tileset I needed these in, however, also required a large lighthouse and versions of the cerulean city houses AND the daycare. I ripped all these tiles and completely overwrote Fuscia city's tileset to make this one. I ended up having about 6 blocks leftover, and I have a use for those on the last section, so Im cutting it EXTREMELY close.

that said, i am very proud of what ive ended up with on this route (and the city to the west of here, which im not showing here just yet. This tileset has taken me about 3 days to put together, as an indication of just how tedious that work is. but the payoff is SOOOO worth it!

thaBlob
26th April 2011, 4:57 PM
This looks amazing, I love the idea of an underground cycling road!
Is this hack going to be a downloadable ROM? And, if yes, what will it be called and PLEASE MAKE IT MAC-COMPATIBLE SO I CAN PLAY IT! it looks really really awesome!

darkprince909
26th April 2011, 5:09 PM
well, cycling road itslef isnt underground. it extends northeast from here. what you see on the left is just a short tunnel through a rock wall separating this route from the next city over. It was the easiest way I could think of to set the two up for the tileset change, and it looks pretty sweet in-game.

yes, ill be releasing a patch for the firered rom when i decide to release a beta (which prolly wont be for a while yet. still lots i gotta do before beta time.) as for the mac-compatability, as long as you find a gba emulator for mac, this game will run just fine.

The working name for this hack is Pokemon Cobalt. The name, along with a lot of other stuff, will probably change before release, based on new developments. l have loads i need to do, but the main focus right now is the pokedex. So much hinges on it storywise, that i cant finish writing the game's plot until the pokedex is complete.

thaBlob
26th April 2011, 9:11 PM
True. Well, Ill shoot you a PM for any pokemon you might want (ill mainly do basic stuff tho) . See ya!

Alliance
27th April 2011, 9:34 AM
Very nice cycling road - I like it
If you want, I can draw rough sketches of fakemon, which you can then turn into a sprite. If so, drop a PM or too.
If not, I'll still be a supporter of "Pokemon Cobalt" ^^

Infernape77
27th April 2011, 12:15 PM
I love the grass starter, and nice sprites ^^

The maps were awesome, too! I hope I can help, but I'm really bad at scratch, I can only drawing fakemons.

Can't wait to play this game :D

darkprince909
27th April 2011, 5:37 PM
@Aslynn
thats only one of three sections of cycling road. im not posting those here yet. but they do look pretty beast, and it flows really well in-game. and i just dropped you a pm

@infernape
im changing the grass starter i think. but if i do change him ill still have pupleaf and canifer in the game for sure. might take out wolpine idk. and if you wanna sketch up some fakemons for me and pm them to me thatd be cool. yeah, spriting from scratch sucks, but you get better with practice :)

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4031/016mantisect.png (http://img842.imageshack.us/i/016mantisect.png/)
Mantisect

here's the last stage of a bug/dark mantis-inspired line my friend came up with. he made the first sprite from scratch, and we kept sending it back and forth making edits and here's what we got

edit: infernape sent me some drawings of a bug line. i got the first stage sprited, and ill post it here before i gotta go to work in 20 minutes :/. cant wait til summer, when ill actually have time to work on this

here he is
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5676/010af.png (http://img33.imageshack.us/i/010af.png/)
he doesnt have a name yet, so suggestions are welcome. let me know what you think of him and mantisect

Infernape77
27th April 2011, 6:22 PM
Okay, I'll drop you a PM :) And thanks, I think I should practicing more..... phew.... at least carnifer was still there, I love him.... XD

thaBlob
27th April 2011, 6:29 PM
I finished making rough versions of those coal pokemon we mentioned! Im still working on the last one though, then ill send it to you for editing.

darkprince909
28th April 2011, 7:59 AM
got a few sprites for yall time. i got the three stages of a new bug line (bug/grass) designed by infernape. the first two are finished, and the third needs to be colored, but i dont know what a good palette would be. suggestions are welcome, along with name suggestions.

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2654/010e.png (http://img810.imageshack.us/i/010e.png/)http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/6492/011va.png (http://img862.imageshack.us/i/011va.png/)http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3573/012wip.png (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/012wip.png/)

i also got a touched-up pupleaf. the shading and border are a little different, and i think it looks better

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4882/038pupleaf.png (http://img809.imageshack.us/i/038pupleaf.png/)

edit: i completely re-did pupleaf's sprite. what do you think?
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6897/pupleaftouchup.png (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/pupleaftouchup.png/)

Plat. Frontier
29th April 2011, 12:02 AM
The grass-starter/evolutions (I assume that is the grass one) reminds me too much of Alpha & Omega.

The fire-starter/evo. looks too much like a teddy bear.

Adam... looks unnaturally shiny. Nothing wrong with shading, just personal opinion.

Tulipa/Tiptulip (unoriginal names, btw) are pretty good. No problems here. Same thing with Mantisect.

Aquoso is pretty good too. Try not to make the starters the same animal, though.

Beginning bugs are pretty bad. The eyes need editing and the body looks very unnatural. Colors are good, though.

In-game map is pretty good, but try to keep Red out of the picture.

Overworld Adam doesn't look like the previous sprite.

The Cycling Road looks pretty similar to Hoenn's. Too similar.

Third beginning bug is pretty good outline-wise.

There's my feedback, and I await yours.

altariaking
29th April 2011, 2:17 AM
hey guys, i got the first stage of the water starter done, but i made 2 different versions of the sprite, and i cant decide which one i like better. a little help please?

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/5919/007compare.png (http://img848.imageshack.us/i/007compare.png/)

sorry for the triple post. my edit button quit working :/. think my browser got a bug

edit: oh thats why the edit button wasnt working. i was using internet explorer, and i know that browser's got a bug. switched to chrome.

my good friends on facebook told me the first version looked too much like cubchoo (and i agree) so i went back and edited him. here's the new one. let me know if you think he's still too close.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5919/007compare.png (http://img845.imageshack.us/i/007compare.png/)

Why not animate it? And don't say it's only possible on Emerald. It's not.

k ive said this before, but ill say it again. if you want to send me sprites for use in my hack or to show me your skills if you want to be a spriter for it, PLEASE PM THEM TO ME!!!!

that said, for a scratch, it looks pretty good, 3d wise, but just being black and white, it looks too plain. it looks li you do have some experience with pixelart though, so if you have anything a little more... complex, id like to see it

the last few days ive been working on mapping a few areas, so i havent gotten any sprites done. ill get to work on them soon though (hopefully)

edit: here's an area that i finished mapping today. Its the first of three sections of cycling road.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9020/route58.png (http://img828.imageshack.us/i/route58.png/)

All the main cycling road tiles were ripped from emerald and painstakingly remade in the firered tileset. The sideways tunnels on the ground and on cycling road itself are custom. The tileset I needed these in, however, also required a large lighthouse and versions of the cerulean city houses AND the daycare. I ripped all these tiles and completely overwrote Fuscia city's tileset to make this one. I ended up having about 6 blocks leftover, and I have a use for those on the last section, so Im cutting it EXTREMELY close.

that said, i am very proud of what ive ended up with on this route (and the city to the west of here, which im not showing here just yet. This tileset has taken me about 3 days to put together, as an indication of just how tedious that work is. but the payoff is SOOOO worth it!

Eeeeewwwww ugly trees are ugly, if you're going to use custom trees then you should change the palette :\
Apart from that, the map is really empty, particularly in the middle. There's only one part with flowers, and they're all grouped together :\
And what is the point of the water? It just looks really random and pointless. Speaking of random, the grass is too scattery too, and you can easily get through it without going through any grass, or maybe only one patch. Also, the trees, again, are too random, and just doesn't look natural. And the mountains are really straight and bland. Why not put some rocks on them? However, you have used tree shading, which a lot of new mappers don't do, so points for that.

Sprites are decent, although I'm not too fond of the basis of the starters. It usually should go like this:
Grass - Reptillian animal
Fire - Chinese Zodiac animal
Water - Some sort of aquatic animal

So yeah, just some ideas to base your starters on.
Need any help then PM me. I have a lot of experience with Rom Hacking and could probably offer my advice when needed.

Btw, Pokecommunity isn't:
"A whole community dedicated to taking generation 1, 2, 3, and to an extent gen 4 (there arent any fully developed tools for gen 4 yet) and ripping all the old content out of the game and building a brand new pokemon game with the engine. thats what im trying to do. a lot of the pokemon youll see here will actually be going into my hack, youll be able to catch, train, battle, etc with all these pokemon. theres a new story, new region, new characters, new everything"
...There are other sections too...so not a whole community...xD And also that section is actually pretty much dedicated to EVERYTHING Rom hacking, like posting your hack or getting help on it.

Also, the overworlds, just wondering, but why does his hat/hair? get bigger when he is facing sideways?

darkprince909
29th April 2011, 4:50 AM
about the grass starter:
ive said it on here a couple other times, and ill say it again, pupleaf is no longer the grass starter. now a little alligator is filling the role, and hell grow up to be grass/steel (yay finally a grass starter that isnt completely overshadowed by the other two!). pupleaf now fills the growlithe/houndour/etc role, and will possibly lose wolpine in the evolution line.
and fronteir, what do you mean by alpha & omega? not ringing any bells concerning my wolves, so help me a little to understand what ya mean?

fire starter: again, hes no longer the fire starter, now hes a regular route pokemon, and yes, hes meant to look kinda like a teddy bear. the new one is a fire/dark deer

water starter: grindygill is completely scraped, and is replaced by aquoso, and since pandember isnt a starter anymore, making them the same animal isnt a big problem anymore.

beginning bugs: first draft, design needs to be finalized, and im still a novice spriter, so its not gonna be perfect yet. ive been going back and touching up nearly everything everytime i feel i can do better, and what you see here may not necissarily be the latest version.

Adam: honestly my first attempt at the starting hero, and i plan to go back and touch up a few things before release

Map screen: Thanks for the compliment, and the reason Red is still there is because i havent changed that sprite yet.

Adam overworld: the palette hasnt been changed, and these were drawn before the intro sprite. i will go back and update these before release (and finish all the other frames)

Tulipa/Tiptulip: Im horrible at naming these guys. any suggestions are welcome

Cycling Road: My main focus while making this was to get something tha looked good into the game, and i will at the very least change the palette before release. Im out of blocks to work with though, due to having to use the same tileset for the next town to the northeast (not made yet) so idk if ill be adding anything extra to the cycling road at this point.

Animated sprites: IF i end up implementing these, itll be in the final release (and someone will have to show me how. im no good with hex (heck i stll have a looooong way to go with scripting)

trees: still trying to find good custom trees. i hated the stock firered trees, and ive used prolly 4 sets of custom trees to see how they look in game

pokecommunity: i know theres a lot more to it, i just only pay attention to the rom hacking part, cuz thats the only part im interested in, and that was the simplest way to describe it.

maps: ive actually mapped out the whole region before, and what ive got now is a HUGE step up from what i had before. I will probably go back and fine tune everything before a release, and the reason the water is there is because cycling road is situated along a canyon, and naturally rain would collect at the bottom (and itll likely be raining in-game.) on the grass, i try not to make the grass look all blocky, cuz it looks really unnatural and drives me nuts. the placement isnt final either, and i wanted to be able to check the routes in-game without having to deal with a billion pokemon (events are not being followed, so i got next to no money for repels.) the flat mountain wall on the left is actually supposed to have been made that way by man to accommidate cycling road's entrances, and the northern wall has been changed since i uploaded this pic

hero ow (again): i never noticed that it got bigger :/. ill go fix it when i got time

altaria, id love to have any help youre willing to give me :)

and sorry for the wall of text. just trying to get all the points in one post

Everest
29th April 2011, 6:50 AM
tulipa/tiptulip:
???/tutu

darkprince909
29th April 2011, 8:23 AM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9631/route58newpaletteandtre.png (http://img263.imageshack.us/i/route58newpaletteandtre.png/)

I just found out how palette 7 works (its linked to tileset 2, not 1 lol) so i imported a new palette and new trees. i think it looks okay (might need to alter the other palettes like the cliffs a little.) what do you think? a change for the better or worse?

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9631/route58newpaletteandtre.png (http://img251.imageshack.us/i/route58newpaletteandtre.png/)
heres a version with cycling road using palette 2 (the red one) instead of palette 3 (the blue one)

and about it being empty, it looks fine in game, and this area acts as one of three parts of a whole. so this route and the two others making up cycling road (dont worry, its really not too long) should be thought of as a whole instead of three seperate parts. the daycare and a (blocked until a certain point) pathway to a legendary can be found somewhere on cycling road. there are also spots where you can go underneath cycling road to get to a hidden area. you just have to find them lol

and secondly, i edited the first early bug a bit. hope it looks better.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7558/010rn.png (http://img51.imageshack.us/i/010rn.png/)

i really gotta get some sleep soon... ugh goodnight lol

gardevoir rocks
29th April 2011, 9:51 AM
The alpha and omega thing is a film, surprised you haven't heard of it, it only came out last year...

Edit: Finished the professor sprite, well the small one anyway, I'll do the bigger one next ok. Anyway here it is...

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/gardevoir1/customoak.png

Let me know if there's anything you want me to change.

Alliance
29th April 2011, 10:56 AM
The Cycling Road PT1 Looks MUCH better now! ^^
Personally, I like the red pallette better than the blue one. I stands out more, seeing as that green and blue are cool colors and red is a warm color and it stands out and stuff. Which is awesome.
And the new trees look a lot better. Good job.
Can't wait for part 2 and 3 of Cycling road ^^

Infernape77
29th April 2011, 3:44 PM
Yay! That's how the cocoon mode I want to look like 8D And for the final... Head is pink(and yellow on the tips of petals), Main body is also pink, just like the head(i think) and the leg part, use "leaf color" the legs and arms should be cream or brown. The wing is up to you.

The name.... yes..... I have a few idea.
Basic: Autillar(Autumn+Caterpillar) or Worpall (Worm+Fall, with "F" from fall being mispelled with "P")
Cocoon: Conbud(Cocoon+Bud, the "coon" in cocoon missed one "o")
Final: Bloomoth (Bloom+Moth) or Flily (Fly+Lily, the "Y" on fly changed into "I")

This is the best name I can make now.....

And yes, as Aslynn has posted, Red looks more awesome and cooler than blue. And the trees look more awesome.

And for the tulip thingy
-Tulipeta[l] (Tulip+Petal)
-Ballelyla(Ballerina+Lila, the "I" on lila changed with "Y") or Ballelyp (Ballerina+Tulip, and the I also changed to Y)

darkprince909
29th April 2011, 5:09 PM
@ gardevoir
the professor's head looks good for that size, but it looks like his body is the same as oak. if you could maybe make him a bit skinnier and make the pose a little different, that'd be awesome. and im planning on making his clothes a different color, but ill take care of that

@ infernape
those names are a lot better than the ones i came up with. oh and have you got an altered autillar picture for me so i can change the wurmple spikes?

@ aslynn
glad youre liking the changed graphics. took me like 3 hours last night to get all the tiles updated. ig i could post the other two sections of cycling road, but thats all im gonna post of the maps for now. i dont want people to see the entire region before they even play the game.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8637/route59new.png (http://img135.imageshack.us/i/route59new.png/)
part 2
*the fallen tree you see here will likely change. doesnt fit with the new trees and palettes
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/6472/route60new.png (http://img810.imageshack.us/i/route60new.png/)
part 3

the far left section of part 3 will be blocked until later in the game. the large ground tunnel on the right will be blocked the first time through due to part of the story, forcing the player to go through the hidden cave just to the northwest. i havent placed the exit yet, due to it being inside the city limits of the next town. you will also be able to rest at the daycare. hope you guys like

Infernape77
29th April 2011, 6:14 PM
MM... not yet :/

And thanks. I like the new map....... but I think Daycare should have an old man outside, right? Or it was like daycare from FR/LG in route 16?

darkprince909
29th April 2011, 9:52 PM
well none of the sprites are placed yet, so the old mans not gonna be there yet. he will be though once i start the scripting.

and altaria, there was something i was needing to ask you, but i cannot for the life of me remember what it was atm :/

Plat. Frontier
29th April 2011, 10:46 PM
about the grass starter:
ive said it on here a couple other times, and ill say it again, pupleaf is no longer the grass starter. now a little alligator is filling the role, and hell grow up to be grass/steel (yay finally a grass starter that isnt completely overshadowed by the other two!). pupleaf now fills the growlithe/houndour/etc role, and will possibly lose wolpine in the evolution line.
and fronteir, what do you mean by alpha & omega? not ringing any bells concerning my wolves, so help me a little to understand what ya mean?

fire starter: again, hes no longer the fire starter, now hes a regular route pokemon, and yes, hes meant to look kinda like a teddy bear. the new one is a fire/dark deer

water starter: grindygill is completely scraped, and is replaced by aquoso, and since pandember isnt a starter anymore, making them the same animal isnt a big problem anymore.

beginning bugs: first draft, design needs to be finalized, and im still a novice spriter, so its not gonna be perfect yet. ive been going back and touching up nearly everything everytime i feel i can do better, and what you see here may not necissarily be the latest version.

Adam: honestly my first attempt at the starting hero, and i plan to go back and touch up a few things before release

Map screen: Thanks for the compliment, and the reason Red is still there is because i havent changed that sprite yet.

Adam overworld: the palette hasnt been changed, and these were drawn before the intro sprite. i will go back and update these before release (and finish all the other frames)

Tulipa/Tiptulip: Im horrible at naming these guys. any suggestions are welcome

Cycling Road: My main focus while making this was to get something tha looked good into the game, and i will at the very least change the palette before release. Im out of blocks to work with though, due to having to use the same tileset for the next town to the northeast (not made yet) so idk if ill be adding anything extra to the cycling road at this point.

Animated sprites: IF i end up implementing these, itll be in the final release (and someone will have to show me how. im no good with hex (heck i stll have a looooong way to go with scripting)

trees: still trying to find good custom trees. i hated the stock firered trees, and ive used prolly 4 sets of custom trees to see how they look in game

pokecommunity: i know theres a lot more to it, i just only pay attention to the rom hacking part, cuz thats the only part im interested in, and that was the simplest way to describe it.

maps: ive actually mapped out the whole region before, and what ive got now is a HUGE step up from what i had before. I will probably go back and fine tune everything before a release, and the reason the water is there is because cycling road is situated along a canyon, and naturally rain would collect at the bottom (and itll likely be raining in-game.) on the grass, i try not to make the grass look all blocky, cuz it looks really unnatural and drives me nuts. the placement isnt final either, and i wanted to be able to check the routes in-game without having to deal with a billion pokemon (events are not being followed, so i got next to no money for repels.) the flat mountain wall on the left is actually supposed to have been made that way by man to accommidate cycling road's entrances, and the northern wall has been changed since i uploaded this pic

hero ow (again): i never noticed that it got bigger :/. ill go fix it when i got time

altaria, id love to have any help youre willing to give me :)

and sorry for the wall of text. just trying to get all the points in one post

Alpha & Omega (3D) is a movie.

I meant Aquoso.

Tulipa suggestions: Ulifla (Tulip + Flower + ending suffix)

Tiptulip: Auripa (Aroma + Tulip + ending suffix)

Everest
30th April 2011, 2:41 AM
i thought of one for tulipa! its vitul (like vital+tulip)

darkprince909
30th April 2011, 5:52 AM
im liking frontier's names for the tulips. i think ill go with them unless something better rolls along.

and since this has basically turned into a project thread, can someone tell me how to g about asking the mods for permission? if i do get permission ill try to get this one locked and make a new one with everything on the front page, so if that happens, be on the lookout for a new thread.

@altaria
i think i remember what i was gonna ask you.
i found a tool that lets me add a day/night cycle to the game taking advantage of the emulator's rtc. but the palette changes are kinda wierd and is kinda jolting when they switch on you. is there any way to maybe introduce more palettes to make the transition from day to night to day smoother?
and is there any way to make the game realize whether its day or night and have th wild pokemon data change accordingly?

Alliance
30th April 2011, 6:08 AM
Well, just PM one of the Fan Sprites Mods, and ask nicely if you can have a project thread for this... well, project.
If they say yes, reply back asking if they can ALSO lock this thread, in preperation for the new project thread.
I'm sure that would work. I don't actually know because I'm too shy to PM Mods :(

thaBlob
30th April 2011, 6:42 PM
I found you this, might help for Bag items... I dont know if your done or not.
Just give credit to its creator.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/pkmndiamondpearl/items.png

darkprince909
30th April 2011, 10:51 PM
Well, Ive been given permission to have a project thread, so :D

altariaking
30th April 2011, 10:54 PM
i think i remember what i was gonna ask you.
i found a tool that lets me add a day/night cycle to the game taking advantage of the emulator's rtc. but the palette changes are kinda wierd and is kinda jolting when they switch on you. is there any way to maybe introduce more palettes to make the transition from day to night to day smoother?
and is there any way to make the game realize whether its day or night and have th wild pokemon data change accordingly?

The first one Idk if it's possible, but the second one definitely is. It would, however, require ASM hacking, which is the most advanced part of ROM hacking.

Everest
30th April 2011, 11:16 PM
got a few sprites for yall time. i got the three stages of a new bug line (bug/grass) designed by infernape. the first two are finished, and the third needs to be colored, but i dont know what a good palette would be. suggestions are welcome, along with name suggestions.

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2654/010e.png (http://img810.imageshack.us/i/010e.png/)http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/6492/011va.png (http://img862.imageshack.us/i/011va.png/)http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3573/012wip.png (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/012wip.png/)

i also got a touched-up pupleaf. the shading and border are a little different, and i think it looks better

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4882/038pupleaf.png (http://img809.imageshack.us/i/038pupleaf.png/)

edit: i completely re-did pupleaf's sprite. what do you think?
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6897/pupleaftouchup.png (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/pupleaftouchup.png/)

pupleaf=BEAST(ish)

bug thing should be its prevos orange and blue and gray or something like that

basic pkmn name=millect (millepede+insect) (pronounced like mill-ect)
first stage pkmn name=blupa (blue+pupa) (pronounced like bloo-puh)
second stage pkmn name=flyrath (fly+flora+moth) (pronounced like flie-wrath)

Plat. Frontier
30th April 2011, 11:35 PM
basic pkmn name=millect (millepede+insect) (pronounced like mill-ect)
first stage pkmn name=blupa (blue+pupa) (pronounced like bloo-puh)
second stage pkmn name=flyrath (fly+flora+moth) (pronounced like flie-wrath)

I have other names...

Basic: Cinspillar (Caterpillar + Insect) (sounds like (Sin-Spill-Ar)
First Stage: Cinsporphis (Catepillar + Insect + Metamorphism) (sounds like Sin-Spore-Fis)
Second Stage: Bellusarch (Rebellious + Gorgeous + Monarch) (sounds like Bell-Us-Ark)

Infernape77
1st May 2011, 3:35 AM
Well, if you ask why the basic is orange because they symbolize seasons
Basic-Autumn
Cocoon-Winter
Final-Spring and Summer

@Plat: Your name for the bugs.... like..... that my bugs were... EVIL XD Joke.... But the "Rebellious" on the final stage annoys me. It's not evil bug line ._."

ZeroKyurem
1st May 2011, 3:44 AM
Wow. These pokemon are awesome! You should be sending them to the pokemon company.

darkprince909
1st May 2011, 5:22 AM
@ altaria
oh, i think ill check the r&d board on pokecommunity to see if anyones found a way to add the palettes. and the other part, if it needs asm, ill either leave it til later, or try to find an asm hacker for this project, cuz ive got a few other things planned that i need asm for

\Mightyena/
2nd May 2011, 3:04 AM
These are quite good. I would love to see more of you're work.

darkprince909
2nd May 2011, 4:51 AM
hey altaria, do you know if its possible to make tms reuseable a la white and black? if it is that'd be completely awesome

thaBlob
2nd May 2011, 7:21 AM
I think if you get deep enough into the games hacking you can delete the code that breaks TMs cant you?

altariaking
2nd May 2011, 3:31 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure. There is probably a piece of data somewhere in the ROM that tells the game if it is either a TM or HM being used. If that could be modified--or if the data for each TM could be modified--then it would probably be possible.

thaBlob
2nd May 2011, 5:49 PM
But then TM's would be non-erasable!! Im sure we can survive without...

darkprince909
2nd May 2011, 6:03 PM
well ill do some research to see if it can be done. and i have a request. i need a leafless tree for a snowy area's tileset but i cant find a good one. needs to be the size of the normal trees (2x3 blocks). if anyone can find one or wants to draw one, thatd be awesome, cuz ive looked all over and cant find one i like, and i cant draw trees.

Plat. Frontier
2nd May 2011, 6:45 PM
Well, if you ask why the basic is orange because they symbolize seasons
Basic-Autumn
Cocoon-Winter
Final-Spring and Summer

@Plat: Your name for the bugs.... like..... that my bugs were... EVIL XD Joke.... But the "Rebellious" on the final stage annoys me. It's not evil bug line ._."

Alright, then how about Utusarch (Butterfly + Gorgeous + Monarch)?

thaBlob
2nd May 2011, 7:19 PM
well ill do some research to see if it can be done. and i have a request. i need a leafless tree for a snowy area's tileset but i cant find a good one. needs to be the size of the normal trees (2x3 blocks). if anyone can find one or wants to draw one, thatd be awesome, cuz ive looked all over and cant find one i like, and i cant draw trees.

I dont mind giving it a shot. PM me the tree you want to be leafless and I can add snow and stuff too.

TheEpicGoomba
2nd May 2011, 7:26 PM
They look pretty awsome some are abit rough but I couldnt do any better

darkprince909
2nd May 2011, 10:03 PM
@ blob
just a generic (normally) leafy tree. i dont have a specific tree i want leafless, just something that looks good and fits in with the trees ive already got

edit: found one that was like twice the size that i shrunk down and touched up/recolored, so here's a screenshot of a *hidden* area of the game that you probably wont get to see until several betas from now :p

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8732/pokemoncobalt.png (http://img853.imageshack.us/i/pokemoncobalt.png/)

also starting work on Aquoso's second stage

darkprince909
3rd May 2011, 10:53 PM
all right, i got aquoso's evo done. not sure how i feel about him though

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3927/aquosoevo.png (http://img854.imageshack.us/i/aquosoevo.png/)

he doesnt have a name yet

Ayra
4th May 2011, 1:40 AM
The region pictures are done rather well. However, thy Trainer sprite lacks a shadow. In contrast some of thy Pokémon sprites lack true depth for the shading of thy sprites is rather shallow. However, that is simply my impressions, thou art well versed in thy hobby.

~Ayra~;267;

maxxa
5th May 2011, 1:34 AM
They are truly awesome :) Im gonna try and make you one!

EDIT yep I know its rubbish, but I recently watched the Pokemon film with Celebi, and made a new type of pokeball.
I SCRATCH-MADE this, so Im pretty happy with it. Maybe the bad guys could have them? Well here it is!

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8351/darkballx.png

are you seriously passing off a recoloured and slightly edited voltorb from r/s as a scratch sprite? isnt this some kind of theft?
original here:http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/70/Spr_3r_100.png
you're more than welcome to use any of my fakes, with given credit if you like.
I would PM you an example but im short of time so ill just post an image containing my most recent fakes...
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1516/fakes.png

I dont mean to sound big headed or anything like that, but i would seriously suggest you take my water starters instead of your own, a bear with fins doesnt make any sense and has little to no concept at all. the others are all free range, take what you want just remember to always credit me.

darkprince909
5th May 2011, 5:07 AM
well, none of the sprites in that image really fit the theme of this region too well. the only ones i can see me using are the bee and the green seed pod thing, possibly the mole thing or the snowman if their evos are cool,. the elephant is A) too big for me to import, and B) doesnt fit in with the other starters, or the region at all, for that matter. your spriting skills are really good though, i might ask you to draw some pokemon for me.

and btw, a bear with fins makes about as much sense as a turtle with metal cannons coming out of its shell. its pokemon, i think itll fly.

Everest
6th May 2011, 12:51 AM
all right, i got aquoso's evo done. not sure how i feel about him though

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3927/aquosoevo.png (http://img854.imageshack.us/i/aquosoevo.png/)

he doesnt have a name yet

tidula (tide+ursula)

Alliance
6th May 2011, 8:27 AM
I dont mean to sound big headed or anything like that, but i would seriously suggest you take my water starters instead of your own, a bear with fins doesnt make any sense and has little to no concept at all. the others are all free range, take what you want just remember to always credit me.

A bear with fins make just as much sense as a flying banana dinosaur. AKA Tropius.
Same goes for a teapot elephant.

maxxa
6th May 2011, 9:52 AM
A bear with fins make just as much sense as a flying banana dinosaur. AKA Tropius.
Same goes for a teapot elephant.

the difference is, theyre concepts.
tropius is based on tropical trees, and the concept is that the elephants have teapot like features, theres a concept there, i didnt take an actual elephant and add teapot things to it, i made it into a cariacature that incorporates the teapot concept, not just giving a bear fins, then making its evolution a slightly bigger bear with fins...

Alliance
6th May 2011, 10:06 AM
....Touche
I suppose you're right.. I ONLY JUST REALISED TEAPOT ELEPHANTS ARE LOOSELY BASED ON....well, TEAPOTS. With da handle and stuffz.
I feel stupid.

darkprince909
7th May 2011, 12:12 AM
Not all Pokemon have to have a concept or pun or something behind their design. The idea for my bears is that they spend so much time hunting in the water they grew fins to let them better catch their prey. That may be somewhat bland, but it's still better and more Pokemon-y than some real Pokemon *cough Ratatta cough*. I do like the crit though. I want this game to be as high quality as possible, including the Pokedex, and if that means having to scrap or greatly alter the designs of some/most/all of my Pokemon, then so be it.

I think, in order to keep the pokemon's design quality high, I'm going to pass off the Pokemon design/spriting/etc to a full time spriter(s), which would increase the quality of the Pokemon going into the new Pokedex, increase the quality of the maps and story since I would have more time to focus on those aspects, and decrease the amount of time it would take for this game to reach a stage where I can release a beta, thus allowing you all to play this game much sooner.

If there is ANYONE out there who would be willing to become a full-time Pokemon spriter for this game, PM me.

Here's a list of all the Pokemon concepts that I, along with several others here, have come up with.

The ones with a * by their name have been sprited already. Ideally, the basic design should remain the same, but may be edited somewhat to increase the sprites quality

The ones without a * by their names have not been sprited, and are free for anyone to draw up and send to me

Three Stage Grass/Steel Alligator Line
1st stage - Grass type, quadrupedal, small patch of grass growing out of his back
2nd stage - Grass/Steel type, larger alligator, still quadrupedal, steel plates on his body with grass growing out of the gaps
3rd stage - Grass/Steel type, even larger alligator, bipedal, larger steel plates with grass still growing out of gaps

Three Stage Fire/Dark Deer/Elk Line
1st stage - Fire type, small foal, stubby little horns, mostly red with a small black patch on his back
2nd stage - Fire/Dark type, resembles an antelope, black patch has grown larger and spread up his neck and the top of his head
3rd stage - Fire/Dark type, large elk, black patch now covers most of the pokemon except for underside of the neck, belly, and the top half of his legs. flaming hooves and tail

Three Stage Water Bear Line
* 1st stage - Aquoso - Water type, small bear cub who has adapted to hunting in the water with fins on his head and forearms
* 2nd stage - Water type, young bear who is growing more accustomed to hunting in the water. fins are larger, possibly starting to developed webbed feet.
3rd stage - Water type, adult bear. fin on head has split into two and attatched to the back of his ears, webbed paws, a ruffle of fins around his neck, all fins are larger and more streamlined than previous evos.

Three Stage Early Bug Line
* millect - bug/grass, orange caterpillar symbolizing autumn. tail could be shaped like a leaf
* blupa - bug/grass, blueish pupa/seed pod mix, symbolizing winter
* flyroth - bug/grass, green and pink moth, wings made of leaf-like material, symbolizing spring and summer
(still deciding on names for these, and preference may change with a new sprite)

Two or Three Stage Bug/Dark Praying Mantis Line
1st stage - (undecided, depends how a sprite turns out) Bug type, resembles a praying mantis's egg sack (the ones you find attatched to the underside of railings and stuff)
2nd stage - Bug type, young mantis, underdeveloped claws, lighter color than 3rd stage
* 3rd stage - Bug/Dark, adult mantis, fully developed claws, spines on his back, large protusion on the back of his head, similar to whats in the sprite thats already drawn
(I'm willing to let the design on this one stray from what I have here, as long as the line is coherent)

Two Stage Owl Line
no specific design ideas, but i want them to be sort of clock-themed

Two Stage Peregrine Falcon Line
again, no specifics, i just want a cool peregrine falcon pokemon, so be creative with this one

Two Stage Grass/Dark Wolf Line
* 1st stage - Pupleaf - Grass/Dark type, wolf pup with a sort of wreath around his neck and tail shaped like a leaf. ears are also leaf-like
* 2nd stage - Canifer - Grass/Dark type, adult wolf with pine branches growing as fur all along his back to the end of his tail.
(As these are the first Pokemon I designed and are the whole reason I decided to make an entire new Pokedex, I would like the design for these two to stay the same for personal reasons. I got attatched to these guys :3. I will, however, accept an improved sprite, fixing shading errors, different poses, etc.)

Two Stage Fire/Psychic Panda Bears
* 1st stage - Pandember - Fire type, resembling a panda cub, but different colors (red replaces black, pale browinsh orange replaces white.) has a little tuft of flaming fur on the top of his head
* 2nd stage - Panfuego - Fire/Psychic type, adult panda, fur pattern more resembles a flame, commands fire in his paws. colors may change from Pandember to reflect the added Psychic type

Two Stage Grass Dancer/Ballerina
1st stage - Tulipeta - Grass type, small flower on head, 2 body segments, leaf arms, somewhat similar to Oddish in concept
2nd stage - Ballelyla -Grass type, taller flower, grass on head resembling pigtails, ending in flowers, grass "skirt", thin body
(These guys are also unlikely to change from their current form. Same rules apply here as to the Pupleaf line)

Three Stage Rock Coal/Diamond Geodude-esque Line
* 1st stage - Rock type, small lump of coal with stubby little legs and a grimace. He's unhappy being a lump of coal. *ooooohh I'm just a little ole lump of coal, but I'm gonna be a diamond someday*
(I have a sprite for this one already, which I really like, thanks to Innocent Bystander. I'll add his sprite to the first page. base the second and third forms off whats been started here)
2nd stage - Rock type, larger lump of coal with small diamonds sticking out on his body. stubby arms and legs. not as lumpy as before, so edges should look sharper. hes also happy that hes turning into a diamond at last.
3rd stage - Rock type, a cut diamond with a smug look on his face, no legs and longer arms made of diamonds, attatched and shaped similarly to Regice's arms.

Two Stage Water Dolphin/Whale Line
1st stage - Water type, dolphin
2nd stage - Water type, beluga whale
(I havent thought too much on this one, so if you take this one, be creative with the design)

Farfetch'd Evolution
Flying/Fighting type, larger Farfetch'd holding dual leeks and wearing a karate jacket

Stantler Evolution
Normal type, older Stantler, more elegant/regal

Two Stage Ghost/Fighting Haunted Samuraii Armor
no specifics on this one, just make it ghostly and Pokemon-y

Pikachu clone (to keep with tradition)
Electric/Ground, rabbit with a spiky "cottonball" tail, like Jolteon's spikes. Other, regular Pikachu clone elements, but I still want him to stand apart from the others

*LEGENDARIES*

Legendary trio:
No specifics, but they need to conceptually act as a key to the main legendary, for story purposes

Mascot Legendary:
Ghost/Dark, symoblizing dark matter, destruction, etc.

Mascot Counterparts:
One symbolizing energy. Possible typing could be Electric/Fire. Needs to embody more intangible types.
One symbolizing matter. Possible typing could be Ground/Steel. Needs to embody more tangible types.

Cute Legendary:
No concept yet, ideas are welcome.

The above designs are open for anyone to sprite and send to me, on the condition that they will not be used for any other Pokedex project/hack/fan game/etc without my permission.

If anyone has any ideas for Pokemon and wants to sprite them, you can use them however you want due to you being the creator, although i would like it if they were designed for this project, to stay attached to this project.

Sorry for the wall of text, and sorry for -somewhat- giving up spriting these pokemon. its just too time consuming to handle the mapping, scripting, story, pokemon design, and all the other elements of this hack myself, and in order to maintain quality across the board, Id like to pass the responsibility of this portion into more capable and passionate hands.

Thank you for any and all help you great people have given me, and any you might give in the future. I truly appreciate it.

Alliance
7th May 2011, 4:13 AM
muahahaha i can now contribute. sorta.
If nobody minds, I can sketch some rough, hand-drawn drafts you guys can use to sprite the finished products, so like yeah.
TO WORK! *grabs pencil*

darkprince909
7th May 2011, 7:58 AM
haha go for it man, i need all the help people are willing to give me

PinkPalkia
7th May 2011, 8:15 AM
Hmm.. the Steel/Alligator line reminds me of my grass starter that I designed 10 years ago..well, it's not an alligator, but it's a lizard like thing with green thorns on its back. I only made the basic starter sprite, not its evolutions. I wish I could help as a designer, but I pretty much stink at spriting. If you want to see the sprite, just tell me. I gotta go for now. You have very fascinating work, though. :)

maxxa
7th May 2011, 11:31 AM
I'm starting to get some ideas about this bear line...theres got to be something awesome that can come with this...
this hunter concept, you say his fins form a sort of mohawk? what if the bear has a sort of mohican concept? with its fins developing into a sort of tomahawk shape on either arm possibly growing in small numbers down its legs to look a little like the trousers you associate red indians with? he could have patterns on his face, I dunno im thinking...

I'm good at cute legendaries, I'll see what I can do...

EDIT:
I tried, but I didnt do too well...
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6051/bearfin.png

darkprince909
7th May 2011, 10:54 PM
hmm... y'know, i really like that concept. and the sprite you got there is pretty interesting. but i think if i were to use that version, i think his body needs to be a little bit longer, and his legs a little shorter. i also wanna keep the mohawk on the first stage, so no headband. the face "paint can stay though. the colors will need a little changing, cuz the purple doesnt really say "water starter" to me. maybe make his fur more blueish and his fins kinda purple, and maybe something different on his belly. the shading is also too dark. but i realy like the indian concept, and i think it can go a lot farter than the original version did. great idea!

edit: i didnt really have much time today to do anything before work so i went ahead and tried my hand at what i said above
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2014/bearfin2.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/bearfin2.png/)

hmm... maybe a "painted on" paw print would look cool on his chest. sorta like the hand of saruman on all the orcs in the two towers. just watched that movie last night

oh and maxxa, be sure the cute legendary has some sort of backstory so i can work him into the story somehow. and the spritesheet you posted earlier with the bee and the elephants, does that bee have an evolution(s)? if he does and is a 3 stage (and isnt related to combee), id like to use him for the other early bug line

edit 2.0: I just realized something. there may not be a way to import all of the new pokemon into the rom and still keep all of the old ones, meaning i may have to delete some of the old pokemon. so if thats the only option i have, i will likely take out gen 3 pokemon and have this game sort of act as an alternate universe gen 3 game or something, so at this point, i wouldnt get your hopes too high of being able to use any of the third gen pokemon

and i also gave him the paw print on his chest

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7202/bearfin3.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/bearfin3.png/)

gardevoir rocks
8th May 2011, 10:38 AM
The new water starter looks cool, I like the orange face paint stuff and the paw, it works really well, oh and btw I'm going to try and get your professor sprite done today.

Edit: Finished the professor sprite, has a slimmer physique and slightly different clothes, let me know if there is anything you want me to change, here it is:

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/gardevoir1/customoak-1.png

Alliance
8th May 2011, 11:11 AM
I think the paw print needs to be slightly bigger, because right now you can't really see it yet.
The new professor sprite looks better, but THOSE GLASSES ARE ANNYOING ME. It just feels kinda weird staring in the fae of a guy who looks like he has no eyes. ONLY GLASSES

edit: I had an idea for the fire starter line. My drawing looks bad, so I'll explain with words;
basically, as said, it goes foal-deer-bigger deer+antlers.
It has a small firey tail to start with, and the fire starts to spread along it's back in it's secon stage, mirroring the black blob spread that makes it dark type.
In the final stage, it has fire going from the base of it's neck to it's butt, along with a firey tail. AND THE FIREY HOOVES.
Yai or nai?

gardevoir rocks
8th May 2011, 12:02 PM
Sounds good to me! Oh and thanks for the advice on the professor sprite, will see what I can do about that.

Alliance
8th May 2011, 12:11 PM
Now worries. Just trying to do what I can so this thing goes awesomely. Cause with great spriters, THIS THING WILL BE EPIC.

gardevoir rocks
8th May 2011, 12:28 PM
Here, is this any better?

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/gardevoir1/customoak-2.png

Alliance
8th May 2011, 12:32 PM
looks a bit better. Personally, you should change the eyes to another color, like a blue or green. The black of the current eyes clash with the glasses.
Or maybe you should change the glasses to a dark tint of grey. Yeah, that might work.

maxxa
8th May 2011, 1:16 PM
I took your edits and made some of my own, made the paw bigger and more central, took the bottom of the fins away, so they blend better, changed some of the shading and darkened the outline colours.
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2014/bearfin2.png

gardevoir rocks
8th May 2011, 1:22 PM
Looking good, only I think the facial expression is a little blank, but that's just my opinion.

darkprince909
8th May 2011, 6:49 PM
im loving where the bear is going! those bands on his leg in the second one are pretty tight. the shading is a lot better now too. maybe just make him crack a smile and hell be perfect.

on the later evolutions, i think the red marking should also extend into his fins, like if the final stage had a chief's headdress, the tips of the fins would be the reddish color

the professor sprite is also very good. he looks a lot younger now, which he should. this professor is only in his late 20's or early 30's. and hes also a bookwork, so i think the glasses will be fine. but i also cant think of any part of the game where the smaller sprite will be used :/. gardevoir, do you think you could use this smaller one as a base to make the intro sprite for the professor? its the one thats the same size as the main hero's sprite that you see on the first page.

My boss is wanting me to work pretty much all day today (in fact i gotta leave here in a few minutes), so I wont be able to get any work done today. Busy tomorrow, Wednesday, next Sunday (Graduation WOOT!), and the next Tuesday, then my schedule becomes pretty much completely open and ill have time to work on this some more.

Great job on what's been done so far guys! Im glad to have earned the dedication of passionate people like you :)

gardevoir rocks
8th May 2011, 6:55 PM
Ok, have a copy of the intro Oak from FR/LG, will use that to help me make a bigger version!

maxxa
8th May 2011, 11:53 PM
Gave him a slight smile, toothy, I also think that the markings look better darker like this, what do you think?
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7202/bearfin3.png

darkprince909
9th May 2011, 12:10 AM
gah! hes so cute i just wanna snuggle wif him! come here! *snuggle snuggle snuggle*

very nice job. love the grin. the face markings look better in the darker shade, but i think the paw print needs to be just a little bit lighter then hell be perfect

Alliance
9th May 2011, 9:37 AM
I know, we just change the paw print to the original color and leave everything like that!
I wanna snuggle him too! HE'S ADORABLE. But it'll probably bust some ninja on me for hugging it.... xP

For the final evo, I think it's should get (bigger, obviously) the bands on it's legs bigger, more like those solid gold bracelets, but reddish. And maybe similiar bands on it's arms as well. The fins could become more elongated, maybe sharper, like extra claws. Think Gallade.
Then turn the smile into a more growly face, give him imposing eyes and figure, and maybe turn his head fin into a crazy spiked mohawk. Tipped with red, which would give the impression "IT'S A WARRIOR. HE EVEN HAS BLOODSTAINED FINS TO PROVE IT. RUN!!!!"

xP

I appoint myself idealist.

maxxa
9th May 2011, 11:18 AM
Imagine this, just not so hurridly drawn... that was what I had in mind for the final :D
http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/84/imagecf.jpg

Alliance
9th May 2011, 11:29 AM
FUUUUU-
That. Is. AWESOME
I can see it now. WE SHOULD SO GIVE IT THE FIGHTING TYPE NOW. IT'S JUST LOOKS SO MANLY. MANLY BEAR.
No shiz. That's actually really well drawn.
I might try to sprite it- Just don't expect a master piece. Then you guys can fix up the horror that shall have been created.

CrimsonFireworks
9th May 2011, 11:54 AM
Nice. I'd say more Water/Electric though :P.
Btw Darkprince909, this is Altariaking on my new account, and I have 11 days off for school so if you need any help then now's the best time to ask :).

maxxa
9th May 2011, 12:05 PM
Heres my concept for the second evolution, you can see its started to gain a little weight, its markings are developing more, its legs are thickening up to hold the extra weight, its grown its second set of arm fins and it has two paw prints instead of the one (I dunno whether the third should have the scratches or one paw and a scratch or 2 paws or something, meh)
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8985/imagevpx.jpg

Alliance
9th May 2011, 12:16 PM
That is pretty wicked. Serious. Wish I could draw bears
This thing is gonna be so sweet, with all these amazing ideas.
I NEED TO DO SOMETHING. Bleugh.

maxxa
9th May 2011, 12:24 PM
You don't need to be able to draw bears, you just need to be able to draw pokemon!
I took five minutes to see what I could do with your wolf/dog grass starter, I thought it was too...R/S looking with all the dithering and highlights, so I brought it to the current era with some Anti-aliasing and darker outlines!
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6936/wolfgeen.png
the ears remind me of laurels, like the kind Julius Caesar wore...something Roman related perhaps? just a thought...

EDIT:
did the same with the big bug thing, I also changed its mouth to a set of mandibles, its eyes to resemble something more bug-like and menacing, took the chest colouring out, basically made it more streamlined and buggy.
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/1793/buggyy.png
I still don't quite like those legs, I'ma look into bugs and insects and see what I can do with them that's less...cliche maybe?
Oh, and I hope you wanted it to have an alien feel to it, cause I tried to make it look a lot like one of the xenomorphs from 'Alien'. I hope that came across correctly! I'm off to school now, so no more edits etc from me, I dunno if I will be tonight either, I have my A2 exams coming up soon and I need to revise...a lot...cheers!
Maxxa out!

Infernape77
9th May 2011, 2:24 PM
Nggg..... maxxa, I know you're a bit more talented.... but you shoudn't double post or someone else's thread XwX And a bit, Pupleaf isn't Grass starter anymore, so yeah :P

BTW, still don't have time to repair those buggy line(or it's basic only?) -shot for being lazy- Or you can change the design a bit, into the design that you like 8D

maxxa
9th May 2011, 2:34 PM
Nggg..... maxxa, I know you're a bit more talented.... but you shoudn't double post or someone else's thread XwX And a bit, Pupleaf isn't Grass starter anymore, so yeah :P

BTW, still don't have time to repair those buggy line(or it's basic only?) -shot for being lazy- Or you can change the design a bit, into the design that you like 8D

Oh dear, I was so sure I had edited sorry, I'll change that now...

darkprince909
9th May 2011, 5:12 PM
hmm... maxxa, the edits you made to Pupleaf are really nice. he looks a lot better now. same for Mantisect. The ideas you had for the next 2 stages of the bear, while still awesome, are not really what i had in mind. im not really wanting him to get fat, maybe similar proportions to ursaring and beartic, maybe a little skinnier, and the fin on his head would develop from a mohawk to a small headdress then into a chief's headdress. and no lightning bolts on his chest please.

btw i love how work still gets done on this project even while im asleep XD

Altaria: i tried to use Five Island to be overwritten by a new town last night. it had connections to the est and west. when i walked from the route to the east into town, a cut tree spawned randomly on the edge of the screen on the route. i got rid of the level scripts and everything, but it still showed up. i ended up just using a different island for the town, but is it impossible to use that island for a town and have a route to the east and not have that tree show up? if so i could just put it in a place where there is no route to the east. i hope you see what im talking about, and will know whats going on

maxxa
9th May 2011, 5:32 PM
Well, the second bear evo fits that, i just have to make a few edits, and I was thinking after I saw the second evo that I could probably make the final a lot better, I've been redrawing.
oh and they weren't lightning bolts, they were supposed to be scratches, but that didn't go well, trust me I've got something cooking! :D

Oh, and I hope you don't mind me doing those edits, I didn't mean to be rude or anything...

darkprince909
9th May 2011, 5:37 PM
i think for the first evo, the fin on his head should be sort of wrapped around his head, like a headband, then in the middle of his forehead, it shoots up, like a feather. i like the designs on the first evo's body too, id just like him and the last form to be a little skinnier. and if you make scratches on the last form, dont make em jagged like a lighting bolt, make em more straight and elongated

haha the edits are fine, i dont mind too much (especially on mantisect, im starting to not like him too much), as long as Pupleaf and Canifer's basic design stay the same. Everything else is fair game for redesigns, except probably the dancing tulips, cuz i think those are fine how they are. shading and border fixes are welcome.

maxxa
9th May 2011, 5:45 PM
Could you perhaps sketch me an example? I'm not too sure I understand at the moment

EDIT: it's not what you wanted, but I was half finished so I thought I might as well finish it, I don't expect you to use it and I don't particularly like it, but here it is!
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5484/bear4.png

darkprince909
9th May 2011, 10:01 PM
i just painted it onto the drawing of the second stage. hope this helps you see what i was talking about. im kinda bad at describing stuff like that

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/9933/headdress.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/862/headdress.png/) or http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9933/headdress.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/headdress.png/)

also, as im hacking firered, the sprites have to fit inside a 64x64 box. the second stage sprite you have up there ^ is about the size of some adult pokemon that gen

maxxa
9th May 2011, 10:10 PM
Oh man I'm stuck in a 64X64 limit? D: this is gonna be harder than I first thought...

darkprince909
9th May 2011, 10:14 PM
yeah. you might have a beautiful dppt sized sprite, but there's no way i can use it in game :/. 64x64 is the absolute limit. yeah ik itll be hard lol, thats part of why some of the ones i made i had so much trouble with. hey at least im not restricting you to 5 colors a la gsc. you get the full 16 (well 15 plus the invisible bg)

btw, note to everyone, the first post will from now on be periodically updated with new sprites/pokemon ideas/anything else i feel like posting there, so check it every so often

gardevoir rocks
10th May 2011, 11:00 AM
Hey, had an idea for a water type line and wondered what you thought, I have picture of it here (although it might not be that good, can't draw very well in paint). So, what do you think, is there a place for it in the hack?

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/gardevoir1/ideaforwatertypefakemon.jpg

maxxa
10th May 2011, 4:42 PM
Hey, had an idea for a water type line and wondered what you thought, I have picture of it here (although it might not be that good, can't draw very well in paint). So, what do you think, is there a place for it in the hack?

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/gardevoir1/ideaforwatertypefakemon.jpg

I think it needs to be more than just water with a face, I like the progression from drop to wave, but try and incorporate that into something more!

Ive just designed and sprited an Aphid pokemon, based on the fact that Aphids are pregnant with other Aphids whilst the pregnant aphids are pregnant blah blah inception blah blah...I dunno if its of any use to you, but take a look anyway!
http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/6376/aphid.png

darkprince909
10th May 2011, 5:09 PM
nice sprite, but it doesnt look enough like a pokemon. sorry. maybe with a little work, or maybe if i saw some kind of evolution. also, the water drop/wave line is too plain. i dont think it would really work as a pokemon

gardevoir rocks
10th May 2011, 5:15 PM
That's ok. I'm new to coming up with fakemon, so I wasn't expecting it to be that good.

darkprince909
11th May 2011, 4:55 PM
yeah, it can be kinda tricky when you first start out

well, i got the entire western loop of the region done, or at least explorable in-game. ill likely go back and revisit it before the beta with that part of the game is released. i havent had much drive to focus on the story yet, as the pokedex is still the biggest shadow looming over this project at this time. Once that gets to a certain stage, i should be able to focus on the actual script of the game, and translate it into the game's code

also, today was my last day of high school! haha so excited!

darkprince909
11th May 2011, 8:34 PM
I think the paw print needs to be slightly bigger, because right now you can't really see it yet.
The new professor sprite looks better, but THOSE GLASSES ARE ANNYOING ME. It just feels kinda weird staring in the fae of a guy who looks like he has no eyes. ONLY GLASSES

edit: I had an idea for the fire starter line. My drawing looks bad, so I'll explain with words;
basically, as said, it goes foal-deer-bigger deer+antlers.
It has a small firey tail to start with, and the fire starts to spread along it's back in it's secon stage, mirroring the black blob spread that makes it dark type.
In the final stage, it has fire going from the base of it's neck to it's butt, along with a firey tail. AND THE FIREY HOOVES.
Yai or nai?

sorry it took me so long to comment on this one (and sorry for double post). i was kinda focused on the bear at the time, that this kinda slipped my mind. anyway, yeah, something like this for the fire starter, as long as the flames on his body arent too overplayed. if you wanna show us your drawings if you made any, thatd be great. id at the very least like to have the starters' basic forms finalized soon.

btw, is it sad that ive designed a grass bear, a fire bear, and a water bear all in this one thread?

maxxa
11th May 2011, 10:39 PM
Heres a smaller version of the bears first evolution, with the changes necessary... I put a dashy red line around its forehead which can become the bottom of the head-dress at the end!
http://imageshack.us/m/824/4820/newbear1.png

darkprince909
11th May 2011, 10:51 PM
umm hes still a little too tall compared to the other 2nd stage starters in the gen 3 games. and tbh, im not really a big fan of this one's design. i wish i could draw pokemon on paper so i could come up with something. but his body, i think, is about right, maybe needs to be shrunken down by about 10%. the arms and head though on this sprite just bug me.

edit: im gonna try some improvements and see what i can get. ill post it when im done

edit2: well here's what i got.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3799/bearposes.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/bearposes.png/)

i shrunk the original just a little bit, cleaned up a couple lines from that, made some changes to the face, and i made 3 seperate poses. it took forever before that fin on his head looked okay, and i just couldnt get the fins on his arms to look quite right, so maxxa, if you wanna take a whack at that, be my guest :)

btw, when we get these finalized, if someone want to make a gif out of them thatd be pretty cool

darkprince909
13th May 2011, 5:51 AM
I normally dont do this, but i kinda want some people's opinions on this map, or what I have so far. It comes fairly late in the game, and i dont have it completed yet, so if you dant want anything spoiled for you, dont look at this map.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6986/dgho.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/dgho.png/)
This is going to be the final floor of the Elite Four building. As you can see, Im not done with it. the brifge will go a bit further, and there'll be a little rock sprire shooting out of the clouds toward the end that has a small building for the Hall of Fame. The brown block in the middle of the clouds is where the Hall of Fame's door will be. What Im wanting to know, though, is
A) Should I use a different tower for this place? I was thinking maybe an old style Japanese tower similar to the tin and brass tower graphics. If someone can find/draw a new tower for me, that'd be awesome, cuz Im not really thrilled about using anything I've found so far, and the Trainer Tower graphics were the best I could find in-game.

B) What do you think of the clouds? Do the half size trees in the background make it feel like youre really high up or do they just look wierd?

edit: whoops, sorry for double post. meant to edit the old one.

Everest
13th May 2011, 7:40 AM
i think you should use brass/tin tower

darkprince909
13th May 2011, 7:51 AM
yeah.. thats what im really starting to lean toward. but id have to draw most of it myself because i dont think the tilesets for that tower that are out there have everything i need. so if i go that route, this tileset will be put into the game completely from scratch (not scratch, like i made everything, but scratch like not in the game at all beforehand). everything else in this tileset had to be scratched as well, so i hope it ends up looking okay. i really want the final battle of the E4 to leave an impact, and the setting has to be just right

Alliance
13th May 2011, 9:00 AM
I like it. The half size trees really make the building feel high up, as if you are MILES above the ground. I love that effect. Reminds me of aeroplanes ^^

If you do end up using Brass/Tin tower's tileset roof, that means you'll have to edit the outside of the building to match. Like when you go to walk into the building, it needs to look sorta Tin Towery, but not quite.
Does anyone else think a bridge in the sky would be seriosuly dangerous? HOW DID THEY GET IT UP THERE?

An idea: At that cloud the door is sticking out of, how about, instead of a cloud, you put a mountain soaring from the clouds? Then have a small plateau you walk onto on the mountain, and then there is a door into the Hall of Fame.

I don't make any sense do I? :P
I'll have some sketch drawing for the fire/dark starter line in a bit. My drawings look so bad, but I hope they'll get the message across.

darkprince909
13th May 2011, 9:10 AM
If i do go with an old style Japanese tower, i will change the building on the ground to match. and the door isnt randomly in the cloud, i just hadnt built the building with the hall of fame yet at the time this pic was taken.there will be a mountain sticking up that the Hall of Fame will sit on, and ill have the clouds sort of wrap around the edges of it. Its too late tonight to start on the new tiles, so ill start sometime in the next few days.

What i worked on tonight was a new "ramp" to replace some of the stairs all over the overworld. Its similar to the ramps on zelda lttp
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1111/ramp.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/ramp.png/)
i have a different version for several different terrains, and they really add to the mountainous feel this region has

im looking forward to seeing the fire starter :)

Alliance
13th May 2011, 9:26 AM
hmmn...... I like the ramp. It looks more natural than a stair. And I prefer natural.

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae312/Fault_Line02/Essaypg2001.jpg
There's my sketch. AND NO I CAN'T DRAW DEER. OR ELK FOR THAT MATTER.
Hopefully you get the idea. The advancing fire, which grows up the neck in the final stage and becomes sorta like a mane. I suppose.
And I was thinking the black patch could become marking that pattern it's body. Then It won't look plain.

maxxa
13th May 2011, 9:27 AM
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3799/bearposes.png

i shrunk the original just a little bit, cleaned up a couple lines from that, made some changes to the face, and i made 3 seperate poses. it took forever before that fin on his head looked okay, and i just couldnt get the fins on his arms to look quite right, so maxxa, if you wanna take a whack at that, be my guest :)

btw, when we get these finalized, if someone want to make a gif out of them thatd be pretty cool

Looks good! I've already got a few tiny alterations in my head, I'll do it when I get home from school this afternoon, if it's not on by tonight, I fell asleep at a friends or went to the pub, sorry!

dilophoraptor
13th May 2011, 5:46 PM
i would like to contribute a pokemon to this hack

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/852/anylosaurpokemonb.png/

Banky(Baby Anky)
the Ankylosaur pokemon

AnkOresaur(Anky+Ore+Saurus)
the Wrecking Ball pokemon

maxxa
13th May 2011, 6:12 PM
i would like to contribute a pokemon to this hack

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/852/anylosaurpokemonb.png/

Banky(Baby Anky)
the Ankylosaur pokemon

AnkOresaur(Anky+Ore+Saurus)
the Wrecking Ball pokemon
Can I take q look at that to see what I can o to it? It's an interesting concept...

dilophoraptor
14th May 2011, 4:31 AM
Can I take q look at that to see what I can o to it? It's an interesting concept...

you can go ahead

darkprince909
14th May 2011, 7:27 AM
here's a couple maps for you guys. i say again, these include spoilers, so only look at them if you want the last couple areas of the game spoiled for you

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2490/mountnoble.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/mountnoble.png/)
First version of Mount Nobel

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7268/mountnobel.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/mountnobel.png/)
Previous version of Mount Nobel

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/2232/mountnobel2.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/mountnobel2.png/)
Current version of Mount Nobel

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5995/route69.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/route69.png/)
First version of Route 69 (Victory Road)

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5995/route69.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/route69.png/)
Previous version of Route 69 (Victory Road)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9057/route692.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/route692.png/)

Current version of Route 69 (Victory Road)

I just put each version i had saved here partly so you can kinda see how the maps/tilesets/the hack in general has evolved over time

Alliance
14th May 2011, 7:35 AM
Mt Nobel be the Elite 4 area right? THOUGHT SO.
I really like how it's nice and snowy. I love snow.
And I love the little Japanese flags on either side of the big path on Victory Road. It looks amazing, and completely different from prior generations.
Oh, and I love the way you edited the building to look old and Japanese-y. I'm sure Nintendo would be proud :D

I reckon you should put some bits of snow on the roof bits of the Elite 4 building.

darkprince909
14th May 2011, 7:42 AM
hey aslynn, you think you could put that in spoiler tags? it pretty much gives away what i have in the spoiler in my post. thx

and thanks for the feedback :)

and right now im putting the top of the tower together in paint. its a right pain in the butt, but itll save me a lot of heartache later

well i got it put together in AdvanceMap, and I altered the Hall of Fame a bit from the last pic i posted. It looks pretty beast in-game if I may say so

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8236/e4champ.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/e4champ.png/)

Abstinence Pistols
15th May 2011, 6:43 AM
Perhaps for the stegosaurus, the chain could be:
Stegosmoke: stegosaurus with a reddish coloring, gray plates, and a pipe tail with smoke coming out. Supposed to look kind of awkward in the same way archen does. Fire/Rock.
2nd: blastego (kinda weak imo): much more ferocious. Plates are now black, and skin underneath glows red hot. Much larger, and is bellowing. Tail now has 3 cannons that fire.. Fire.. Often. Special move: crash cannon. 1 turn to warm up. 120 damage, 90 accuracy, fire type. Pokemon is fire/rock.

Alliance
15th May 2011, 6:56 AM
MAN THAT IS BEAST. SO BEAST. SO BEAST. SO BEAST.
I really love it, except it took a while to understand the angle... It look like it was... I dunno... a bit weird....

And Un0va, we aren't making fake moves, to my knowledge.
And personally that Pokemon line sounds more Fire/Steel than anything....

darkprince909
15th May 2011, 7:27 AM
Aslynn:
It looks a lot better in game when the whole thing isnt on screen at the same time.

Unova:
I actually really like that idea. there hasnt been a part fire fossil pokemon yet, and i really like that concept. maybe the pipes could actually be made of rock/clay, like they were made in like rome or something thousands of years ago or whenever. if you wanna try to sprite him, go right ahead! ill just need your permission for the rest of the team to make any necessary edits, like what we did with aquoso and his evo. and at this point, im not planning on adding new moves (partly because i have no idea how to do that 0.o)

Lol, today at work, i just completely zoned out of what i was doing (its all basically muscle memory tbh, so i didnt have to focus much anyway) and i came up with a whole bunch of different ideas for the hack. Some of which were ways to streamline some of the tilesets that are currently causing me some problems, and as soon as i get that done, theres a brand new area that i wanna make thats located near the beginning town, but wont be available right away. Itll make a certain town (that you guys havent seen yet :P) which previously had nothing special about it, worth revisiting agian, and again, and again... and again..... *echoes for a bit*

The way this region's architecture is turning out so far, the Stuff in the Northwest third of the region is much more Feudal Japanese style, and the Southeastern two thirds is more modern Westernized architecture. The older style buildings are also kinda high up in the mountains, so i think its kinda cool how that all turned out.

I have a facebook page dedicated to this project, and i would post the URL here, but I dont wanna start getting a bajillion friend requests on my main profile. If you want the link, tell me and Ill post it, but I will ONLY accept friend requests if youre actually helping with the project (not trying to be mean, i just wanna keep my friends on there just to people i actually know, or are working on something with. I just dont need a bunch of people i dont have anything to do with clogging up my feed)

Alliance
15th May 2011, 7:35 AM
We have a Facebook page for this?
o.o
That's not what I see every day.
....If you don't want a bajillion friend requests, PM the link to a select few who help out with the project and want the link.
Like meh.

..again and again and again huh? I WONDER....... Hmmnnn......

I reckon this pokedex needs some evos! As in evos of Pokemon from Johto/Kanto. Seriously. I LOVE EVOS. *shot*

darkprince909
15th May 2011, 8:22 AM
hehe i was already planning on a few, like stantler and farfetch'd, possibly like a pegasus-styled evo for rapidash. i think i mightve had a couple others on the list. i dont wanna go overboard on the previous gen evos though. i want mostly new concepts and brand new pokemon.

okay, ig anyone who is helping with this project, send me a pm, cuz im sure ive forgotten about a few people that have helped, if you want the link to the facebook page. aslynn, altaria, maxxa, gardevoir, and bystander for sure. anyone im forgetting, just send me a pm

Abstinence Pistols
15th May 2011, 8:22 AM
Aslynn: okay, I'll take down the new move thing. However, I felt that it would be more fire/rock due to the "fossil" nature of the pokemon, but it's your call in the end.
Dark: thanks! Keep in mind that sprites aren't my forte, but I'll pm you when I have them done. You can use them, as long as you give me the link to the ROM when it's done. Oh, and a good Mac gba emulator for that matter, VBA is absolute crap and doesn't even let me save, so I'm up to the 6th needle on mother 3 just through freezing/defrosting the game state :(.

darkprince909
15th May 2011, 9:03 AM
fire rock is what it should be to keep with the tradition already set. just make the pipes/cannons clay colored instead of metal, and make them look a little (just a little) jagged with a couple cracks, and that should get the point across

at some point, i may add new moves. i have an idea for a new hm, but idk how i could get it to work without overwriting any others. Well, i could move flash to a TM, but unless i can make a new move from scratch, idk what move i would replace.

If it is possible to make a brans new move out of nothing, then we could *possibly* give him that signature move

Innocent Bystander
15th May 2011, 9:57 AM
VBA is absolute crap and doesn't even let me save, so I'm up to the 6th needle on mother 3 just through freezing/defrosting the game state

*Troll face* I finished the entire game with VBA.
Anyway, do you still want me to do that coal/diamond line?

maxxa
15th May 2011, 5:10 PM
I don't know if this is useful to you at all, but its a butterfly/cocoon pokemon...
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4745/butterej.png
whilst spriting this i had a concept for a superhero bug line

first stage: a cocoon type pokemon with markings resembling clothes,
second stage: the cocoon has grown and started to open, resembling clark kent ripping his shirt open to become superman
final stage: the butterfly wings form a cape, it has new, colourful markings.
when its night the wings are limp, looking like a cape, but when its sunny they become proper wings, like how superman gets his power from the sun...thoughts?

darkprince909
15th May 2011, 5:39 PM
@ Innocent:
sure, if you wanna go ahead and finish them, be my guest :) do you still have my guidelines/suggestions for him somewhere?

@ maxxa:
Im not sure if ill be able to make any pokemon that change forms with the weather. i think that ability is restricted to castform in gen 3. im also not too sure if i like that concept right now. maybe with a few tweaks, itd be good. i dont really think a bug pokemon should start off as a cocoon

btw hows the second bear coming along?

maxxa
15th May 2011, 6:04 PM
well the changing weather concept was only a thought, it can still just have normal wings :)
i decided whilst designing them that a cocoon as a basic stage was a bad idea, I sprited the first one (with some help from caterpie) any thoughts?
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7915/caterpillarl.png

darkprince909
15th May 2011, 6:14 PM
ermm.... really similar to caterpie? idk at this point if i wanna use this superhero bug concept

Plat. Frontier
15th May 2011, 6:24 PM
Thoughts on map:

SO BEAST! SO BEAST! SO BEAST!

I like how the hall of fame is in GSC-style. Makes it look old-school.

Mt. Nobel and Route 69 look epic with snow on it.

maxxa
15th May 2011, 7:58 PM
I dunno whether or not you want to use it...its your choice,
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5963/cattercoon.png
the middle is too big in comparison to the last and the last's wings need to be shrunk to fit into the 64X64 box, but as a concept, are you sold?

darkprince909
16th May 2011, 12:28 AM
umm... not yet. it just doesnt feel right yet

idk... the first and last stages could work right as a concept, but the second form looks like hes in the middle of evolving, and that just doesnt feel right...

(lol thank god for the edit button... like the third time ive added to this one post)

I have a request from anyone who can draw buildings. i need someone to draw up a log cabin/lodge type thing in this sort of style

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1558/logcabin.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/logcabin.jpg/)

i need it to have a staircase on the left side that leads up to a balcony, which is over the front door but high up enough that you can still see the front door at that angle. I dont want this building to be *too* big, but it needs to be big enough that the player knows its important when they see it. I hope what Im wanting is clear enough, and thank you to anyone who can help me

edit *again* cuz this isnt enough for another post:
Im working on the interior tileset for Mount Nobel, and so far its been a real pain in the butt due to having to draw EVERY FREAKIN TILE FROM SCRATCH!! ugh, this may take a while lol. what i got so far looks pretty good, might just need to alter the palettes a bit once i get all the tiles put together

KazeNurite
16th May 2011, 12:49 AM
I dunno whether or not you want to use it...its your choice,
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5963/cattercoon.png
the middle is too big in comparison to the last and the last's wings need to be shrunk to fit into the 64X64 box, but as a concept, are you sold?

To be honest I LOVE that concept.

Alliance
16th May 2011, 10:09 AM
I SEE AN OPPURTUNITY.
I'll see if I can make the cabin. I'll probably be stealing some tiles from Professor Elm's lab sprite in HG/SS.
It'll take a while tho. But I'll give it my all.
I didn't quite understand the idea tho. You mean the banlcony is ABOVE the door? OMIGAWD. THIS WILL TAKE FOREVER.

dilophoraptor
16th May 2011, 3:17 PM
Perhaps for the stegosaurus, the chain could be:
Stegosmoke: stegosaurus with a reddish coloring, gray plates, and a pipe tail with smoke coming out. Supposed to look kind of awkward in the same way archen does. Fire/Rock.
2nd: blastego (kinda weak imo): much more ferocious. Plates are now black, and skin underneath glows red hot. Much larger, and is bellowing. Tail now has 3 cannons that fire.. Fire.. Often. Special move: crash cannon. 1 turn to warm up. 120 damage, 90 accuracy, fire type. Pokemon is fire/rock.

could i try this?

darkprince909
16th May 2011, 4:49 PM
@ Aslynn:

Heres a sketch i made up of kinda what i mean by the balcony being above the door. The roof here looks kinda wrong, so dont go by this for the roof, but everything else is about how i need it to be.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7923/cabind.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/cabind.jpg/)

The whole cabin should probably be longer horizontally than i have it here, too. and the railings on the balcony can be higher than 8 pixels (probably no more than 10 though)

hope this helps you see what im looking for

@ dilophoraptor

if Un0va gives you permission to sprite his concept, then you can go ahead. but make sure its okay with him first

*takes me like 5 tries to get the freakin spoiler tag to work every time lol

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/1504/e4mockup.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/e4mockup.png/)
Heres my mockup of what the e4 battle rooms will look like. Each one will be colored to correspond to one of the 4 chinese elements (earth, water, fire, and air). if someone who ignored the spoiler warning could critique the tileset, id appreciate it. I think the blank walls need to be changed, but idk what to do with them. and the palettes will most likely change

edit: just had a brainstorming session with maxxa, and he suggested, for example, a stylized gyarados mural on the blank walls at the bottom in the water room, or a stylized ninetales in the fire room. he was gonna brainstorm new pokemon for the earth and air roles, but if someone wants to draw the murals, thatd be awesome. they will be mirrored on each side, so you really only have to draw one, and they need to easily fit into the space that the wall takes up now

maxxa
17th May 2011, 12:27 AM
I drew up this concept for the Japanese trio we discussed, it's the stone Oni (is Stoni too obvious a name?) and the sickle weasel wind one, it's got a scroll for a tail, I think it's s cool concept...the third one, I know you said there's already been a kappa but I think I have s concept, admittedly it's a ninja turtle but I'm working on it...I'm going for the 4 elements and the 4 types of creature, two footed earth, serpentine wind, fire based ghost and a 4 legged/sea creature for water...I know you said you didn't want it to be a main focus, but I think it makes sense seeing as you have a real Japanese theme running through your elite 4. You said you wanted the trio to unlock the big bad, well if the 3 natural ones, the ones that represent the earth (rock, water, wind) unlock it perhaps the 4th can be manmade (fire, rePresenting destruction and available for capture after the elite 4, like mewtwo?
The big bad can be a dragon of some sorts, continuing the Japanese folklore theme...it's something nintendo hasn't really touched on but can be really effective if we do it right!!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/imagebxnw.jpg/

darkprince909
17th May 2011, 1:06 AM
hmm... well, you know what? that could actually work pretty well, as long as they feel more like pokemon than straight out of a japanese folk story. what youve got here still feel a bit too japanese folkloreish. but i really like this concept the more i think about it. did you put the kanji symbol for earth and air on them? i see something japanese on the weasel's head, and what i think might be the symbol for earth on the oni. if each sprite has the symbol for its element, i think that should be enough to tie them together as a trio/quad/whatever. and i had the overworld areas planned, and the 3 that unlock the fire one just feel right in those settings. except would a lake or an island make more sense for the water/air one? got a mountain for the earth one, and whats wierd is the 3 form a triangle around the town with the fire gym 0.0

man youre a genius!! This concept could add sooooo much story wise, like how ancient culture shouldnt be forgotten or overlooked, and lots of other stuff i could play with this, and the existing maps just WORK with this idea

but like i said, the legendaries need to feel like pokemon inspired by japanese folk legends, not folk legends brought into a pokemon game because we could.

god, now i really need to get the rom fixed so we can mess with this concept some more (i wasnt careful with the free space and now a couple maps' data is running into other maps' data and glitching them. not sure if i can fix it on the current rom, so im going to import it all into a new rom and every map or tileset that is bigger than what was there originally, im going to put in open space instead of just overwriting the old)

Everest
17th May 2011, 2:26 AM
umm... there are five chinese elements

i think you mean japanese

the elite-four mock-up room is pretty good, just a little empty

p.s. the spoiler with BIG SPOILER DON'T LOOK!!!! actually (in my opinion) isn't, and also it's not big size-wise

darkprince909
17th May 2011, 3:02 AM
the spoiler was meant to cause lols when people saw what was in it, and i meant whichever one has the four elements. the e4 tileset will change a bit as i can make changes, but that is, after all, just a mock up.

For the last couple hours, ive been backing up all the tilesets, palettes, etc while brainstorming different elements of the game with maxxa, and we came up with some real gold. Its mostly story related, so you likely wont see anything here, cuz ill save it for the actual game.

I was backing stuff up because part of the rom glitched and caused a couple tilesets to behave wierd, so im going to import it all into a fresh rom, hopefully bypassing whatever caused the glitch. wish me luck!

edit: all right, there were 3 things i was worried about, now its down to just one. the other two were just confusion on a part of the tilesets (the bottom of a standard tileset had blocks that were made up of tiles from area specific tilesets that were set up a certain way. i thought this was part of the second tileset, so i used it for the clouds on the tower's roof, and that messed up the same blocks for other tilesets. nothing big, just an annoyance. the other was why if a placed a block in one house, it would automatically make that change in other houses. some houses apparently are linked together to do that, i assume to same space.)

the thing that still worries me though, is that the interior of one house just randomly disappeared. ive since got it back, but i want to know why it dissappeared in the first place, so i can avoid doing it again.

anyway, it doesnt look like ill have to start over with a fresh rom, ill just have to be more careful what blocks i use and how big i make the maps.

now back to work on the pokemon league!

edit 2: well i got the tiles all inserted for the pokemon league, got different palettes for the elements, now all i need is the stylized murals of the pokemon, and these rooms will be pretty much done. maybe a couple tweaks here and there

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6937/e4battlefields.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/e4battlefields.png/)

the colors are for earth (rock/ground), water, fire, and air (flying). I may change the scroll on the wall to have each element's symbol. it depends on how many tiles i have leftover after the murals are done.

maxxa
17th May 2011, 5:19 PM
Personally I think that the wind should be green, but thats only my opinion...

darkprince909
17th May 2011, 5:50 PM
i had thought about green, but to me, it kind of evoked more of a grass vibe than anything

edit: i gave each element its own wall scroll with its kanji symbol (which are a pain to draw that small), and moer importantly, i have the gyarados mural for the water room

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9541/newbannersandwatermural.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/newbannersandwatermural.png/)

edit: updated the pic with a ninetales mural for the fire room. and im thinking of a skarmory in flight for the flying room. what do you guys think? is there a bird from johto (besides ho oh or lugia) that feels oriental? what about a rock or ground pokemon from johto? i wanna have a mural of at least one pokemon from each region (mine, kanto, and johto)

Everest
18th May 2011, 6:09 AM
murkrow or yanma?

also, sudowoodo or (maybe) larvitar->tyranitar

darkprince909
18th May 2011, 9:41 AM
maybe... ill think on it... whatever johto pokemon i end up using, id like to have one designed of the type that doesnt yet have a mural.

well i have a work in progress map for you guys. its the area near the second town that i said would draw you back there again and again.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7407/trainerlodgearea.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/trainerlodgearea.png/)

As you can most likely see, there are no buildings placed yet, specifically the lodge, and there are likely some tile errors throughout the map that ill probably end up fixing by the time the map is finalized. the cave in the upper left has no ground in front of it, and im not sure yet if it will behave right if i make you surf in.

The reason im posting this is so someone can tell me if the basic geography seems sound enough, or if i should keep revising. theres no way i can make this map's dimensions larger. i tried earlier and it corrupted the rom. the next map's data is stored directly behind this one's so this one has nowhere to expand to. the blank spot in the bottom left will be filled with *something*. i havent decided what. and the blank area in the top right will be where the lodge sits, overlooking the lake

and speaking of the lodge, aslynn, how is that building coming? you think you could maybe pm me what you have so far so i can see if it's turning out to be what i need?

darkprince909
19th May 2011, 11:42 PM
sorry you guys havent seen much in the way of sprites lately. but i think thatll change soon. maxxa has come up with ideas for several pokemon, and weve been tweaking the designs the last few days. hes drawn a bunch of them up on paper, and knowing maxxa, hell sprite them soon, and i think you guys are gonna like what we (mostly he) came up with

maxxa
20th May 2011, 1:00 AM
Yeah sorry for the delays and slowness, my laptop is becoming increasingly temperamental and I have exams at the moment. Next week I finish, expect sprites then!

Hints:
Haunted incense duo
Majestic kamaitachi
Angry rock Oni

Happy expecting!

Maxxa

MetalFlygon08
20th May 2011, 6:08 AM
If I could make a suggestion for he rooms, for the Wooden planks on the sides...

Rock Ground-Stone Pillars
Fire-Torches mounted on the Pillars
Water-Idk, a waterfall in the back? a small bonsai pool?
Wind-Open Space, allowing you to see the outside (Like how the Zephyr gym was in GSC, but only along the edge)

darkprince909
20th May 2011, 6:14 AM
If I could make a suggestion for he rooms, for the Wooden planks on the sides...

Rock Ground-Stone Pillars
Fire-Torches mounted on the Pillars
Water-Idk, a waterfall in the back? a small bonsai pool?
Wind-Open Space, allowing you to see the outside (Like how the Zephyr gym was in GSC, but only along the edge)

i like the first two, but im not too sure about how i would implement the second two. and m not sure ill have enough room in the tileset or have any extra palettes to use for those effects. ill look into it though. right now im revamping parts of the main tileset and adding a new pokemon center and mart, and organizing all my tiles, so that might take a while :/

Infernape77
20th May 2011, 4:19 PM
Sorry, e3e Doesn't have time to re-make the worm.....

Could you just remake it yourself?
I'm pretty sure you could ^^

And awesome building, room, and the lodge :3

Skarmory would match the flying..... or maybe Togetic/Togekiss?
For the Earth........ either Donphan, Larvitar or Tyranitar?

darkprince909
21st May 2011, 4:18 PM
@ altaria
well, ig me and maxxa will do what we can with it. well try not to stray too far from what you gave us, though.
Im thinking skarmory will be the Johto pomeon featured in a mural. Its based on a crane, and cranes apparently are revered in Japan, so it makes sense with the theme, which means well need to design an oriental rock or ground pokemon to be featured.

and i got the tileset's rearranging done. the tileset is a LOT more organized now, but all the maps are messy, so im gonna go back and rebuild them all. it wont take too long, three days max. I got this town finished in about 15 minuted or so.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7180/newlithumvillage.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/newlithumvillage.png/)

which reminds me, you guys hadnt seen this village yet, had you? well, this is directly east of the starting town, and is near the trainer lodge :) so aslynn, if youre needing to know what building style to sort of emulate for the cabin, you can base it off these houses a little bit

credit for the new pokemon center and mart go to CNickC on deviantart. the house, i kinda lost the name of the person who drew it, but ill go back and find it soon. the trees are credited to 874521, though slightly modified (slimmed down to fit the tiles) by me.

edit: house credits go to Kyledove and Heinze

BynineB
21st May 2011, 4:41 PM
This town is.. really.. really.. boring..

The sprites look nice, but the layout is so uninspired and tiny that it looks more like a garden than a town. There's as many shops as there are regular buildings. Maybe make it longer lengthwise and add in some more houses? And give it some sort of theme?

darkprince909
21st May 2011, 5:01 PM
i compare this town to oldale town from rse. its a small mountain town that isnt really meant to have anything, more of a pit stop when you first pass through, but like i said, the trainer lodge, which is very... NOT boring (once i get the events and everything scripted) is near here, just not quite within city limits, if you get me. and i posted this map here mostly so you guys could see the new pokemon center and mart

i just ask that you dont judge the game based on just what you see here at this moment. i dont want to release all the good stuff before the game's even out, cuz i want it to be a fresh experience for the player

plus, im not sure if i can make it much bigger, cuz the rom tends to get tempermental when you mess with the dimensions of a map too much, and im trying to keep the maps to where if i lined them all up in paint, the entire region would line up, so expanding/shrinking an area just for the heck of it just tends to cause problems

I may release a more exciting city when we get closer to a beta, but thats still a ways off

Everest
21st May 2011, 9:49 PM
do you know what you're going to name the place? if so, could you say?

ps the town's just like all other "pitstop towns" (sandgem, oldale, cherrygrove, accumula)

darkprince909
22nd May 2011, 12:00 AM
well, i have codenames for all the towns so i can tell them apart without actually opening them up, but i havent decided on any official names.

If anyone has a suggestion for this town, a little background on the game's feel might be helpful. the game is going to have a sort of modernization theme, where the old, traditional beliefs/lifestyles/buildings/etc are being put on the wayside and shoved aside to make way for progress. the more traditional areas are high up in the mountains, and should have a more oriental styled name. other towns are more modern and westernized, and generally in lower areas and should be named as such.

I know thats really no help without actually seeing the maps or knowing what goes on there, but when we get closer to a beta, i can post the maps so we can name the towns

BynineB
22nd May 2011, 12:03 AM
i compare this town to oldale town from rse. its a small mountain town that isnt really meant to have anything, more of a pit stop when you first pass through, but like i said, the trainer lodge, which is very... NOT boring (once i get the events and everything scripted) is near here, just not quite within city limits, if you get me. and i posted this map here mostly so you guys could see the new pokemon center and mart

i just ask that you dont judge the game based on just what you see here at this moment. i dont want to release all the good stuff before the game's even out, cuz i want it to be a fresh experience for the player

plus, im not sure if i can make it much bigger, cuz the rom tends to get tempermental when you mess with the dimensions of a map too much, and im trying to keep the maps to where if i lined them all up in paint, the entire region would line up, so expanding/shrinking an area just for the heck of it just tends to cause problems

I may release a more exciting city when we get closer to a beta, but thats still a ways off

All I'm saying is, it's unrealistic to a fault. Oldale town had several houses. At least give it a distinguishing feature, a statue or something.

TheEpicGoomba
22nd May 2011, 12:08 AM
Wow.
This hack has improved majourly. The Elite 4 Idea is great and the Pokemon league looks awsome. I love the look of the cycling road. Overall this hack looks awsome!

darkprince909
22nd May 2011, 12:13 AM
@BynineB:
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1015/prseoldaletown.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/prseoldaletown.png/)

I dont think i need to say any more

@ Goomba:
haha thanks for the compliments :)

ugh... stupid storms, causing problems what with your wind and your lighting and all that old hullabaloo, dontcha know i got work to do?
well looks like im not gonna get any more work done tonight. not gonna risk my computer getting zapped, which actually happened to a friend of mine who is making a zelda: link to the past hack 0.o

Plat. Frontier
22nd May 2011, 12:14 AM
For the Oldale-esque town, I call it "Lychee Town". Lychee is a type of seed.

maxxa
22nd May 2011, 1:46 AM
Sorry that the sprites are slow at the moment, the screen of my laptop is held on by one wire, I have to prop it up on a wall/box to use it, and because it's a piece of crap it overheats a lot... I've lost 3 versions of the stone oni to it, I wish MSpaint had an auto save feature... This doesn't mean that designs arent coming along! Drawing drawing drawing... Expect more soon I suppose, exams coming up, 18th birthday in a couple of months (new laptop ahoy). It's tough, but we'll get there eventually!

EDIT:
here's some designs to tide you over
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/imagewqjm.jpg/
A chimecho evolution, it's an old concept but it's been redesigned
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/imagesuu.jpg/
A concept for the water legendary of the trio, I wanted to go for an ugly looking pokemon as the wind weasel is majestic and the stone oni is angry/intimidating.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/imagegrl.jpg/
This is my idea for the little legendary of the dex. It's based on the Baku, a Japanese legend of a tapir who eats dreams, I know it was already explored with drowzee but this pokemon instead curiously skips through dreams and minds, like a lost child. Because it only appears in people's dreams, many people believe t doesn't really exist (hence its legendary status).
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/imageyko.jpg/
This is a trio of pokemon, based on incense burners and the Japanese folktale of two men, one with long arms and the other with long legs. I have a second design for the long armed version here that I want people to take a look at for me, which do you all think is best? I've sprited them both, but they're on my laptop.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/imageaei.jpg/

Looking forward to your comments, Maxxa out.

Sgeckledorf Spoongeblorb
22nd May 2011, 2:39 AM
Long-arms looks suspiciously like Cofagrigus, and the water legendary looks way too much like Carracosta.

darkprince909
22nd May 2011, 3:09 AM
hrmmm... well, itll be impossible to use the chimecho evo since all the hoenn pokes will be replaced with the new ones. The water legendary is too similar to Carracosta, also. I like the concept for the cute legendary, but i think it needs something to separate it a bit more from drowzee if we go that route. and i stilll like the arms one from the first pic more :)

heres the sprite of the basic incense pokemon that maxxa sent me a couple days ago
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3352/085.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/085.png/)

BynineB
22nd May 2011, 3:51 AM
Well, never mind that then.. not that it would have been bad to try something new...

The incense Pokemon is all right, but it could use a creepiness downgrade (maybe more doll-like).

darkprince909
22nd May 2011, 4:14 AM
Well, never mind that then.. not that it would have been bad to try something new...

The incense Pokemon is all right, but it could use a creepiness downgrade (maybe more doll-like).

There's nothing wrong with trying something new, its just each tileset is limited and i already have plans for this town's. if i have room leftover, i may add something, but functionality comes before aesthetics

creepy? i dont think its that bad. bout as creepy as haunter or banette is to me

edit: got 5 more overworld areas to fix with the new blocks, and then the haunted dojo maze, which shouldnt take too long since ill mostly be replacing one kind of block, so sometime tomorrow, i should be back on track :). getting tired though, so no more tonight

Innocent Bystander
22nd May 2011, 4:33 AM
Look, I'm sorry, but I just can't get the coal/diamond fake's face right. Perhaps someone else could have a go?

http://www.iaza.com/work/110522C/iaza18125640321900.gif

maxxa
22nd May 2011, 11:50 AM
Carracosta is a sea turtle, this is based on a kappa, carracosta is covered in armour, this has a shell, this has a hole in its head full of leaking water, carracosta does not, this has thin frog like legs and webbed feet, carracosta does not, the only similarity would be that it has a shell but even then it looks more like a ninja turtle than carracosta. Where did you get that similarity from?

Sgeckledorf Spoongeblorb
22nd May 2011, 1:56 PM
Carracosta has long, dangling arms, and so does the kappa.

maxxa
22nd May 2011, 1:58 PM
they arent long, theyre normal length for a humanoid figure, and theyre hanging because its bent over, its supposed to look a little creepy...you're really grabbing at weak, weak straws here...
http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/kappa11.jpg
there...

Sgeckledorf Spoongeblorb
22nd May 2011, 2:01 PM
They're both badass turtle monsters that walk on two feet and have long, dangling arms.

You act like I accused you, dude, calm down.

maxxa
22nd May 2011, 2:23 PM
No, sorry, I just hate people saying my concepts are like/copied from something else, I hate it when I write, I hate it when I sprite...
I have names for 2 of the trio now,
Stoni
Kappaqua

any suggestions for the wind kamaitachi are more than welcome.

EDIT:
I sprited the redesigned Arnaga, I don't know what you think but here it is...
http://imageshack.us/m/835/953/arnaga2.png

heres kinda what I was going for though, I don't think I did it, but ill give it another go...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/arnaga222.png/
Oh, and the redesigned Arnaga fits the 64X64 box by 1 pixel, I'm really finding this limitation quite difficult to work with, its annoying losing 36X36 pixels overnight!

BynineB
22nd May 2011, 3:55 PM
Hahey, wow, the second form looks quite nice. I don't know why the hands are in two different places when the body is facing forward; if anything the left hand would be in front of the right.

darkprince909
22nd May 2011, 8:53 PM
that sprite actually looks pretty good, but the arm on our side should, the shoulder should be visible. other than that, hes pretty beast, but maybe a little bit smaller, cuz typically, only the legendaries are that big in gen 3. maybe i could make a couple edits later.

the kappa, im not sure if he looks legendary enough. im also not sure what would help that. i like the name though. stoni though, i thinks that names a bit weak for a legend. maybe Terroni or something (terra+oni)

darkprince909
23rd May 2011, 6:17 AM
well i finally got back home, and i took a look at the arnaga up there. and i shrunk him down a tiny bit, changed the smoke arm to look like its flowing out of a hole in the side, and touched up where it distorted when i shrunk it

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5889/arnagaedit.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/arnagaedit.png/)

Innocent Bystander
23rd May 2011, 8:02 AM
Right, well is there anything else I can work on?

maxxa
23rd May 2011, 8:29 AM
Is your coal guy based on forever alone? Where's that going?
And if you wanna take a crack at one of my fakes I'd love to see someone elses vision of them?

darkprince909
23rd May 2011, 8:41 AM
he wasnt based on forever alone, far as i know, but now that you mention it, they look a little similar. no, his face was just supposed to look kinda goofy. the basic was sad that he was just a lump of coal, the second stage is sorta happy that hes becoming a diamond, but hes not there yet, and the last stage was supposed to be a sort of smug looking diamond, with limbs somewhat based off of regice

maxxa
23rd May 2011, 8:45 AM
I had an idea, a little sad lump of coal that at the next level it has a head and body, it's arms get more muscle shape (with armour/muscle diamonds) and a few on the body, then it's arms become diamonds, it's jaw becomes big and it has a big diamond on his head like a helmet, the diamond is sort of armour in my idea.

I'm revising for my exam in an hour but here's a quick doodle

http://img577.imageshack.us/i/imageyes.jpg/

darkprince909
23rd May 2011, 9:00 AM
well the first stage is done, and i like how it is and dont really wanna change it. its in my first post somewhere. and i dont really wanna base it on forever alone face. i like the body with the second one, but not the face, and im not really seeing the third one

Innocent Bystander
23rd May 2011, 9:06 AM
Yeah, I did base the middle evo on forever alone, I was wondering if anyone was gonna pick up on it XD. Also you didn't answer my question. Is there anything I can do?

darkprince909
23rd May 2011, 9:16 AM
um... well if you wanna try your hand at any of the pokemon concepts listed in the first post or anywhere else in the thread, be my guest. other than pokemon sprites, im not sure atm. theres no new buildings that need made yet... hmm, if you wanna try some new trainer sprites, thatd be cool too. i dont have any new classes of trainer planned out yet, so if you wanna make new sprites for the old classes (hiker, cooltrainer, breeder, fisher, swimmer, etc) go ahead

maxxa
23rd May 2011, 9:17 AM
I said you can take a stab at my designs from the other post :)
I just looked on your first post, found the two grass girls, made a third evo, I dunno if you like it or not

http://img715.imageshack.us/i/imageibq.jpg/

darkprince909
23rd May 2011, 9:24 AM
not really, and that line's stats and movepools are already set up, and the person i have doing those might get a little angry if i make him redo it. and ballelyla's sprite is too big to allow a third stage

if anything, i need the other two starters lol. and the second bear, for that matter

maxxa
23rd May 2011, 11:50 PM
I told you I've had the second bear prepared for ages! lol, i sent it to you on facebook, suppose you must not have got it...
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8977/bearfinn.png

Oh and also, can i be really annoying and make a request?
as a sort of...nod to the spriters or anyone who worked on the game, can we each create our own trainer sprite to be used somewhere in the game? perhaps as the trainers you meet in victory road? or wherever this training place is? perhaps even with our own custom teams? it'd be a good way to say 'look, I'm in this game and I worked on it too!!'?

darkprince909
24th May 2011, 1:16 AM
yeah, i never got it on facebook, but it looks good :). if its not too much trouble, could ya do the other two poses too? you dont have to of course, i just think itd make a cool gif.

thats actually a pretty sweet idea. like each person's class would be pokemon trainer, but the sprite and name would be of the person. and maybe i could do what ZEL (creator of the hack Shiny Gold, remake of gsc, for those who dont know) did and make optional trainers on some routes to battle. they would give you the option to refuse to battle them at that moment, and would tell you that theyre pretty powerful. their team would be several levels higher than trainers in the surrounding area, and the fight would be fairly challenging *remembers going up against a level 55 Milotic with a team of mid 30s*

if its possible for me to do that, id be glad to put all my team members in the game somewhere

Innocent Bystander
24th May 2011, 6:51 AM
^^
That sounds like a pretty good idea.

Anyway, I had a crack at the bunny pikaclone.
http://www.iaza.com/work/110524C/iaza18125687419200.gif
Thoughts? It's body was originally two different colours, but I thought it looked to much like a cross between eevee and a frog.

Also, how many pre-existing pokes are gonna be in the game?

darkprince909
24th May 2011, 7:03 AM
thats completely scratched right? Its pretty good, but the legs bother me a bit, and the right ear looks a little detatched. also, with the tail, i think it needs a little more of a jolteon spike feel. but pretty good for the first draft :)

and the first 251 will be in the game. i cant add new pokedex entries, and only up to 25 new pokemon past the 386 for gen 3. and if you catch any of those 25, and theres no entry, the game will freeze. so i have to overwrite all the hoenn pokemon with the new pokemon

Innocent Bystander
24th May 2011, 7:10 AM
I see. Also, yeah, the ear was bothering me too. Also, what's wrong with the legs? I can see what you mean if it's the back legs but if it's the front two, I can't see much of a problem.

darkprince909
24th May 2011, 7:28 AM
well the back legs, it seems like its sticking out at a wierd angle, and the front, i think they might be just a little thin, and they way theyre attached, it looks like theres a big fluff of fur on its chest, then it just melts into the rest of the body. maybe make the legs a little thicker, make the chest fluff transition into the body fur, somehow fix the back leg and the tail.

also the yellow that you used is kinda hard to see against the white fur. maybe make it a little darker, maybe a little orangish?

Alliance
24th May 2011, 8:58 AM
With the bunny, I suggest maybe turning the white to a bit of a grey, and making the yellow a bit darker. And maybe have a dark color like black somewhere. I dunno.
In case you're wondering, I've got no work done on the cabin. *sigh*
1. Kept forgetting. Homework
2. Low attention span
3. I fail at edits. Except minor. That cabin would've been like WOW

.....I feel like I just failed....
??Special trainers for each person? Hmmn..... That sounds like an edit I CAN achieve. Hopefully. Maybe. Not sure.....
Is there any size restriction I should know about before I get started making my trainer? And what was the color thing again? 34 bit? DAMMIT

darkprince909
24th May 2011, 9:39 AM
64x64 pixels, 15 colors then a background color, just look up the sprites on the spriters resource for reference

hey, no sweat on the cabin. i can take care of it ig, unless anyone else wants to try

Alliance
24th May 2011, 9:49 AM
Ok dokey. I think this shall be a piece of cake. I'm actually OK at edits on trainers. YAYA
To Paint!

maxxa
24th May 2011, 10:43 AM
I'm awake! Gonna do some spriting today, if I can remember any of the concepts I speedily threw at darkprince! Who's still around then?

Alliance
24th May 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm still 'round.
I think I'm more of an idealist on this hack tho.... Ahh well.

I have an Idea on what we can call our "hack makers" class!

Pokemon Programmer *insert name here* sent out Pandember!

Like yeah. We be the Pokemon Programmers.

darkprince909
24th May 2011, 10:50 AM
dont want it to be that obvious, and that wont fit in the box i think

maxxa
24th May 2011, 10:52 AM
D: but I'm not a programmer
Surely programmers have connotations of being somewhat nerdy, why can't we be pokemon trainers with unique names? That way were neutral :)

Alliance
24th May 2011, 11:19 AM
Meh. It was an idea. One that failed, clearly.
Yeah, unique names! Time to go hunting! Ping!~

maxxa
24th May 2011, 11:20 AM
im excited to see everybodies trainer sprites!! :D

Alliance
24th May 2011, 11:26 AM
Pfft. Mine is basically a glorified Ace Trainer from HG. Only edited to be small. I'll probably be giving her Janine's cloak to. That thing is beast.
I still have loads to work on. Color, cloaks, shading, all that stuff. UGH.

maxxa
24th May 2011, 11:33 AM
im trying to get a look looking one but RSE sprites a just so...terrible! its like the spriters only got a clue with diamond/pearl, might edit steven stone, im gonna take a look about and see whats interesting...I hate the 64X64 limit so much, its so...well, limiting!

Alliance
24th May 2011, 11:46 AM
Heh. I tried to shorten Ace Trainer's legs. Nearly cut her off at the knees! Good thing I cut off her bun instead!

maxxa
24th May 2011, 11:52 AM
never shorten using the select tool, always just look at the sprite and think 'if i redraw this with a small pixel missing here and there', because that way you dont jeopardise the rest of the lovely sprite :)

Alliance
24th May 2011, 12:01 PM
Meh. I don't think my slight edit looks to bad. I wanna give her long hair, but it's evading me. There goes scratch skills OUTTA DA WATAR

acetrainerdov
24th May 2011, 12:12 PM
there u=insane :P

Alliance
24th May 2011, 12:16 PM
acetrainerdov, if you aren't going to assist this porject, and just make stupid comments, don't post.