PDA

View Full Version : Shradow's Splices

Shradow
10th April 2011, 2:11 AM
These are some Pokémon splices I've done. Critiques are welcome, and I hope you like them.

http://i56.*******.com/2dm9t7n.png

When I post more, they will be posted in new posts, usually just one or two at a time.

paxromana
10th April 2011, 4:24 AM
really like: arceus + Rayquaza, dialga + torterra, Tyranitar/Rayquaza + Giratina, Lopunny + Mismagius, Medicham + ninetails

the mix of five and the tank seemlike they're overdoing it, other than that, fantastic!!!

Medical Meccanica
10th April 2011, 5:37 AM
You've got some super-awesome and creative stuff here (love the tank).

My main issue is that they're still just edits - why not go a little beyond copy and pasting and try your hand at scratching parts for them? (Or just make an all-scratch fakemon or something.)

Shradow
10th April 2011, 6:28 AM
I do have to scratch some parts of splices, but it's not entirely noticeable (such as parts of the Typhlosion flames, or the headpiece on the Granbull one). I've tried and failed at fakemon. ^.^

Complete subject change, but paxromana, I've caught all my legendaries in Premier Balls, too (I just had Zekrom and Thunderus, since I have White). I also caught Zoroark and the Relic Castle Volcarona with Premier Balls as well. Good luck getting Tornadus and Landorus.

Alliance
10th April 2011, 6:36 AM
Most o your splices are really good. No border problems I can currently see.
But the thing is, you need to try and make your splices 50-50. In the Gardevoir+Mghtyena, the only thing Mightyena I see is the ear and coloring. Perhaps making Gardevoir look furrier, like a Mightyena, might make it more 50-50

Charminions
10th April 2011, 4:38 PM
Wow I really like the Salamence+Macargo+Blastoise one. Very creative.

Ayra
10th April 2011, 6:11 PM
These are pretty decent. As stated no border issues. But some of them seem a tad crowded. And the Gardevoir one is incredibly boring, you barely see any of Mightyena. My advice is to make the splices more even between the Pokémon used. Also, you might want to try splicing shinies together.

~Ayra~;267;

Shradow
10th April 2011, 6:32 PM
Shinies are cool. My most recent is the Medicham + Ninetailes, where I used the shiny colors. The one I'm currently working on will also be using part of the shiny coloring, as I like to mix and match colors to look cool.

Ayra
10th April 2011, 6:46 PM
Just don't splice too many Pokémon in one sprite, it makes the sprite too cluttered.

~Ayra~;267;

Shradow
10th April 2011, 7:35 PM
Here's a new one.

http://i54.*******.com/20shm3t.png

Ayra
10th April 2011, 9:06 PM
Very nice. Not too much going on in the splice making it easier to make out what Pokémon are in it.

~Ayra~;267;

Asmoday
10th April 2011, 10:45 PM
My favorite in this is Arceus + Rayquaza fusion, it looks really good ^^
Same with your rayquaza and giratina one, that one is awesome as well :p

rykerr1
10th April 2011, 10:57 PM
The Tyranitar/Typhlosion one and the Rayquaza/Giratina one are both amazing =)
I like Raikou/Granbull as well.

Keep up the good work!

sinful7
10th April 2011, 11:00 PM
Wow those are crazy good, they are all so creative and unique, but i do notice you use giratinas wings a bit to often on some of the sprites. but very good work their!

Shradow
12th April 2011, 6:11 AM
Here's another one coming your way.

http://i53.*******.com/1gkaat.png

tomthepom
12th April 2011, 9:48 AM
I don't believe in mindless praise like most of the other posters here, you still have a LONG way to go. These are way too C+P, work on scratching and reshading things to make them fit more naturally together.

Shradow
12th April 2011, 8:23 PM
Finally, some hard criticism, it's about time. I was beginning to think you Serebii people were too nice!

level99love
13th April 2011, 12:50 AM
These are all very well done, the Weezing/Muk/Grimer is especially well done.

Edit: I also very much like the Medicham/Shiny Ninetails. (It reminds me of "Silver The Hedgehog" from the newer Sonic videogames).

tomthepom
13th April 2011, 1:28 AM
These are all very well done, the Weezing/Muk/Grimer is especially well done.

People are going to hate me for this...
What are you talking about? In what way was it "well done"?
The faces are half hanging off, the shading on the Muk side suddenly cuts off, and the hands are just the same only backwards.
Remember to reshade the parts you do copy and paste on so the light source matches up.
So we're all on the same page about this, the light source for most of the Pokemon sprites is from the top left corner.

The newest one needs improvement on the fire, you have 3 completely different styples in 1 sprite which doesn't work well together. Pick 1 and stick to it for that sprite. Again, edit the shading to fit the light source.

The Haxorus fusion needs work around the neck area, it's fairly decent fusion, you just need to switch around the antenna (sp?). The closest one to use would appear to be bigger than the one further away.

The Medicham/Ninetales (why does nobody spell Ninetales right?!) fusion is average at best. The fur on the head looks strange the way it is, try and bring them closer together and maybe put a line around the bottom one just part-way up to show that it isn't coming out of the side of the head.

Please don't take this too harshly.
I really like the T-Tar/'Phlosion fusion, try and add a bit more of Typhlosion to it and edit one of the fires so they don't look so identical (cutting a piece out doesn't count ;) ).

I like the Granbull/Raikou one a lot too, kind of reminds me of a super hero. :)

I'd be happy to crit the rest of them a bit later if you like.

Alliance
13th April 2011, 3:38 AM
Here's another one coming your way.

http://i53.*******.com/1gkaat.png

OK, let's see how I go with this.

It's too cluttered. Whimsicott is too small a base, and Magcargo's shell thingos are WAY too big. They're almost bigger than Whimsicott!

Now, the flames. I understand that flames can't really be shaded. They don't obey the laws of the light source. But all I see you did was take the neccesary flames and flip them around to suit your needs. I advise you scratch the flames, but have the original flame nearby to help you.

Now... the Magcargo things.
All I see you did was take the shell, flip it, and put it down. Nono. What you need to do is take the flipped shell, and re-shade. Otherwise it's looks kinda disorienting.

Overall, I say it needs a lot of work. It needs a bigger base, some reshading and a lot more shading. It's too C+P (Not that I'm any better :D)

Shradow
13th April 2011, 3:56 AM
Flames are sources of light, correct? With a giant flame in between the two shells, I thought patches of lighter area right next to the giant flame would seem right. And Magcargo's shells aren't any further outside Whimsicott's head than its original giant fluff ball by than more than a couple pixels. And are we not allowed our own artistic liberty? Despite the differences in the flames, I thought they went well together. So sue me.

Yeah, and the Muk/Grimer/Weezing one was admittedly one of my first splices. Ever.

Blast, you're right, I did spell Ninetales wrong. My bad.

What are your thoughts on Swampert/Typhlosion? That's probably my favorite, tied with Giratina/Raquaza.

Ditto123
13th April 2011, 4:06 AM
It's...okay. But I agree completely with tomthepom. It deserves some praise I guess, but not this much. It's not the best work ever

Shradow
13th April 2011, 5:25 AM
Well, I would surely hope not. Because then I'd have no more reason to do it. ^.^

tomthepom
13th April 2011, 12:13 PM
Flames as a source of light. Logically that would be true, but this is Pokemon and nothing really makes too much sense.
After actually looking at some of the HGSS sprites, some have light coming from their firey parts such as Quilava, but most don't, so I say do what looks right to you and we'll try and help you out from there.

Whimsicott/Macargo: I think it's the fact that we imagine they'd, the Macargo shells, would be very heavy and since they seem to be floating without support the sprite looks too bulky and over-weighted. I suggest moving them down a pixal below floor level (to show they are behind) and removing the fire on the bottom.

I like the Swampert/Typhlosion, except the flames on its arms and legs conflict with the flames on its back. May I suggest maybe trying blue flames on it if you decide to ever revisit it, it would certainly make it different and stick out from the rest. If you do want to use blue flames, use Swampert's original colours.

Lucas.G
13th April 2011, 5:54 PM
They are ALL great

Alder
13th April 2011, 6:36 PM
I don't believe in mindless praise like most of the other posters here, you still have a LONG way to go. These are way too C+P, work on scratching and reshading things to make them fit more naturally together.

THANK YOU. I was also beginning to think that all good crit had been forsaken.

Hi, kids, I'm here to talk to you about MLSS. MLSS is Multiple Light Source Syndrome, and it usually is caused by the splicing of two sprites without reshading the parts. Not trying to be a jerk, but it can be a terrible nasty bad habit. Take a look at your Raikou/Granbull. The Granbull body is shaded with the light source coming from the left. That's all good and well, except that Raikou's cape, which you've used as a tail, it shaded with the light source on the left. Nonoonononononono. The light source has to be constant all the time. Another good example is the latest "Whimsiquilcargodashatran" which features two Magcargo shells mirror-imaging each other. This is itself can be annoying, as it's essentially two of exactly the same thing facing different directions, but you've left them shaded as if the light source is directly in the middle of the Whimsicott's head, while the body's light source is from the top.

Now, nitpicky stuff:

Giratina/T-tar's wings are coming from different places. Since T-tar's body is turned, one wing is coming from the back of the shoulder, one from the middle of the upper arm.

In multiple splices you have fire shooting downwards, which is physically impossible. I'm not sure if that's Pokemon-physics-okay or not, but it bothered me.

Remember outline shading. The outline should not ever forever never be completely black. The cannon fusion is very creative, but the cannon base looks completely detached from the body.

MLSS on Joltephlosion too.

Rayquaza/Giratina's wings are off-centered and look detached.

All in all, they are exceptionally creative and overall well-done. I really like the Grovyle/Articuno and the Haxorus/Scolipede. I would suggest that you reshade the parts that you add on, and perhaps start to scratch things instead of just copying and pasting.

Shradow
17th April 2011, 4:30 AM
Loving the commentary so far, thanks for it.

I'm kinda stumped right now as for ideas for anything new. If anyone would like to help by giving me an idea, I would be very grateful.

Medical Meccanica
18th April 2011, 2:08 AM
Make a fakemon totally from scratch.

What if Ken Sugimori had sat down and tried to draw a Pokemon, then been like "I FAILED I'M NO GOOD AT THIS BOO HOO" and gone back to non-Pokemon art?

"I've tried and failed" is NOT an excuse. So what if you've failed at something the first time? If you don't push your limits you're never going to get better.

Serebii is one of the only places I know of where you can post edits and get mindless praise. It's a good place to start off at but once you get your newbie spriter butt onto tSRc or PJ you're gonna see that tomthepom, Alder and I are being nice. We're tickling you with feathers compared to what Metaru and ThereisnoCure are gonna do to you if you post edits anywhere else. Weaning yourself off of editing is the best thing you can do in spriting, period.

tl;dr: make a fakemon or scratch mix or something. You're creative. You can do it.

Shradow
18th April 2011, 8:18 PM
Maybe I should've elaborated. I've tried and failed many times, and I don't find them as fun as splices, and it's not just because I'm bad at them. I don't do what I don't like.

Medical Meccanica
18th April 2011, 8:54 PM
Make a scratch splice then. Mix two Pokemon but don't use any edited parts.

samurottwarrior
18th April 2011, 9:46 PM
I also agree with Medical Meccanica, check out Arkeis.com fusions. They take a lot of stuff but they make it so that you can't even tell its a pokemon from the games.