PDA

View Full Version : How Long Does It Take You To Draft Up A Team?

DJMonty
18th April 2011, 4:34 PM
I was wondering how long it takes everyone to draft up a team for competitive battling. I normally go through 80% of Pokemon in the Serebii Dex, and look cor my lead, go back, and find a move set for it. Then repeat for each Pokemon. It takes me at least a few days. What about you?

Blue Harvest
18th April 2011, 7:53 PM
5 minutes, give or take. Fine tuning takes a little longer but you never really stop fine tuning a team until you retire it.

Ruskittlez
19th April 2011, 2:05 AM
I only take about 10 minutes, but after every fight or two I change something up.

Skater Trainer
19th April 2011, 2:11 AM
Depends. If you want to start from scratch and work around a specific pokemon, maybe at an extreme max, an hour. Normally, you just need like 10 minutes to think of a role of each member and like Harvest said, it's never "complete" it's always in tuning until it's retired.

FerretKing
19th April 2011, 2:13 AM
depends. my new team took a couple of days (especially seeing as my Heatmor can't learn overheat). but i was trying to make a well rounded team and use Pokemon that others do not use that often (hence the Durant in my party).

Karzon
19th April 2011, 2:16 AM
The first draft takes 2 hours. That'll get posted online and rated and shot full of holes. The second Draft takes 3 hours, replacing pokes and patching holes. That one will be posted and rated. The 3rd-24th draft takes ten minutes per draft and only the 3rd and fourth get posted.

Atleast that is how it has gone so far for my Single and Double teams.

quilava1
19th April 2011, 2:26 AM
about 20 min when I use pokemon online, it has all the tools right there down to the hidden power. after that, its trial and error fixing bad aspects of the team (which I can easily do by battling others)

ac333
19th April 2011, 4:08 AM
Depends on what kind of team I'm making. In my opinion, making a singles team is a lot easier than doubles, since in doubles you need to have a lot of chemistry between pokemon.

When making such a team, I tend to start with one central pokemon, then find a good partner for it. Then I ask "If this faints, who could I send out that would still have good synergy with the pokemon still out?" I like making sure that any pokemon on my team could work well with any other.
...though usually that isn't as easy as I hope! xD

Aquadon
19th April 2011, 4:19 AM
Approximately 75 minutes.

And it's completely coincidental that that's how long my classes are here. I swear...

Punchdrunk
19th April 2011, 4:23 AM
Not long. I usually grab a couple of my favourites, then try to work around defensive coverage. If I'm taking Scizor, I make sure I have Heatran or a couple of water types, and so on. Suicune usually makes it on to most of my teams, but other then that I just try to use stuff I like. I'm not one to spend much time considering tiers or whether my stuff counters the current meta.

Swagga09
19th April 2011, 4:53 AM
I experiment with teams first. I changed my teams about 3 times until I found the one that mixes well the best

dodohead272
19th April 2011, 5:25 AM
i just finished a new team (which i will post tomorrow) it took me about a hour and a half cause i was trying to make a good team with a lot of synergy

TerraWolf
20th April 2011, 4:01 AM
Well my most recent team, which has been made for 2 weeks and has yet to be tested, took about 30-45 minutes. Like BH said, teams are always tweeked to find the perfect sets. For example, I've decided 405 Attack is enough for Exca to sweep so I added Brick Break for coverage

d0nut
20th April 2011, 4:39 AM
On average I probably take about 15-25 minutes for making a team, though I've also made pretty decent teams in as little as one minute. Either way, every team will end up making changes to keep up with the metagame until you ditch it, no matter how much initial thought you put into it. Theorymon is no replacement for actual battling after all.

deokishisu.123
20th April 2011, 4:52 AM
Damn, thats a hard question. It normally takes me a few weeks to 2 months to making a perfect team. You can't ever be perfect, so thats why I'm still stuck with my Metagross as my only one. Lol.

Takeo
20th April 2011, 6:31 AM
I'll get back to you LOL -____________-
but seriously i can never stick with my team, as i speak i only have 4 pokemon that have been there for a while as for the last two slots i keep switching to see what works or feels right.

MewTwoEx
20th April 2011, 6:39 AM
Well, to find the members wouldn't take me long, but then i have to look at team weakness/movesets/items etc. The time varies on whether I already know the pokemon im using very well or not

shadowsfalling19
20th April 2011, 6:47 AM
A simple team,prolly 5 mins. But a more serious planned out team,10-20 mins. Then some renovations after it.

calze6
20th April 2011, 7:03 AM
Whole new concept: 10-20 min. Slight edit, 5 min.

123fakestreet
20th April 2011, 8:02 AM
Ok, this is VERY different from everyone else but I will generally spend around a month designing (Not breeding) my team. I start with my teams aim then create a 2-3 pokemon core. Which I then test extensively in my head (Memorised dmg calc formulae and base attacking stats of almost every pokemon) and tend to tweak the core and just the core. After working out the best core for raking on as many things as possible I write all my threats down and come up with 3 pokemon who could possibly fit into my team as glue. I then extensively test this pokemon by working how much damage it does too all my threats and working out if I can safely bring the threat into KO range from my glue. I now have maybe 3-4 pokemon in my team. Now I look at my team and work out what kind of entry hazards I need, I generally use just SR or SR and a fast spiker either Roserade or frosslass to get 2 layers up. I now look at my teams type weaknesses for the first time and look if anything needs changing or if I only have 5 at this point (Because leads need lead support) I add a pokemon to resist my current weakneses and provide extra power/a team niche (Intimidate). After this I post an RMT for you guys then I try your ideas out, if they work I keep them and at the end of the RMT I use the team for real but still open minded of tweaks/changes.

AromaFlora
20th April 2011, 9:14 AM
Interesting topic but not much to talk about competitively. =/

5 minutes, give or take. Fine tuning takes a little long but you never really stop fine tuning a team until you retire it.

Blue Harvest's post definitely applies to me. Sometimes I'll make it even quicker because I'm not that nitpicky with EVs/etc and will pick whatever I feel like picking. If it seems like it's not working, I'll edit it throughout playtesting.

Thebritains
20th April 2011, 3:41 PM
The Core of my team? 5 or 10 minutes, but making sure all the pokemon have good synergy and such through Playtesting and then fixing the holes? a couple of days

Mdk8400
20th April 2011, 5:20 PM
Generally the first draft will be around 5 min, then I will spend an hour or so on pokemon online working out the kinks.

lucario beast
21st April 2011, 3:40 AM
usauly 20 to 40 mins but i like to think of my own movesets and stuff

Pseudo-Unlegendary
21st April 2011, 4:26 AM
Getting the team itself took no time at all. Setting up the deets takes about 10-15 minutes, getting the right natures and equipment, takes quite a while.

Alleviate
21st April 2011, 5:46 AM
Generally 15 minutes as I'm just trying to throw together a gimmick strategy for proof of concept. When I get around to making a real team, it may take a few hours with a lot of playtesting.

Randomness
22nd April 2011, 5:20 AM
Im not a competitive battler at all: I just throw together whatevers 50+, an hardly care if theyre the same type.no strategies, either. just plain damaging moves of all different type...

:wub:disc
22nd April 2011, 9:49 AM
couple minutes going over stuff in my head then a couple more getting sets worked out. EVs might take a bit longer unless i decide to just 252/252/4 everything. then it's just a matter of playtest + edit until i get something i like.

Cryochronic
23rd April 2011, 10:08 PM
1 lead
1 support
1 physical sweeper
1 physical wall/tank
1 special sweeper
1 special wall/tank.

That's the general formula for me. Then it's just filling in the blanks to see what compliments each other. If I run Archeops, I'll need Wish-support. That gives me Blissey or Jirachi. Then everything just falls into place.

jesusfreak94
23rd April 2011, 11:25 PM
For me it's a little different every time. Coming up with a concept to base the team around can take as little as a few seconds. Next, I usually try to find some team members that have excellent synergy together, which could take 5-10 minutes. The moveset step is the longest. My movesets range from standard to specific and creative, depending on what my team needs. But the real trouble is the EVs, as I'm not such an EV wizard myself. I'll usually just use someone else's EV spreads. All in all, this step could take me about 15-20 minutes. So I can usually go from nothing to a full competitive team in about 20-30 minutes, plus the time it takes to actually build the team on Pokemon Online (if mine worked, that is) or breed and raise the team on my game. Then there's also the adjustments I might make to the team later if need be.

Blue Harvest
24th April 2011, 3:46 PM
A team building strategy I always considered but never implemented wa basically a super-complicated version of the best lead contest (http://www.marriland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=349305&sid=129a72446d9c644f30d138c158e6d757) I ran at Marriland. But instead of one lead you have a whole team, and instead of 15 leads you have ~45 OUs. I don't know if it would work since that wouldn't really take into account things like Stealth Rock weakness and it would be extremely difficult to overlap each Pokemon. I could try to program something like Marriland's team builder (but instead of type matchup its individual OU matchups) but I don't know how to program much.

Oh well, slapping 6 sweepers together on a team works just as well most of the time.

lunar22
24th April 2011, 6:57 PM
Its completely dependant on the team itself, of course never more than 20 minutes.