PDA

View Full Version : Cinccino and the role it plays in OU

WhiteForest
25th April 2011, 4:09 PM
I have been wanting to use Cinccino in OU for a while now, and I think it could work. It is a very fast sleep inducer at 115 speed. It has a fair attack stat at 95. It is a bit frail with 75 hp and 60-60 defences.

The moveset request index gave this set (I didn't make it):

• Cinnicino @ Life Orb
• Skill Link / Technician
• Jolly Nature
• 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Bullet Seed
- Wake-Up Slap
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast

Technician - moves with a base power of 60 or less raise to 1.5x

Skill link - Moves that attack 2-5 times always hit 5 times

If these two could be used in conjuction, Cinccino would rock the OU environment. Why? Most of Cinccino's moves are ones that hit 2-5 times with a base power of 25. However, always hitting 5 times would be better in my opinion.

So let's go with skill link. Now lets take a look at the set again. The Nature/ability/EV spread is all fine. The item life orb is not one of my favorites but it would make cinnicino very powerful so lets keep the life orb. You can use something else if you want to.

• Cinnicino @ Life Orb/something else
• Skill Link
• Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Wake-Up Slap
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast

Now the moveset.

Bullet seed. A physical grass attack. 100 accuracy, 25 attack power. The skill link ability lets cinccino hit 5 times.

Wake-up-slap. A physical fighting attack. 100 accuracy, 60 power. It only hits once. "inflicts big damage on a sleeping target."

Tail Slap. A physical normal attack. 85 accuracy, 25 power. Hits 5 times with skill link. This is cinccino's STAB normal move.

Rock Blast. A physical rock move. 90 accuracy, 25 power. Hits 5 times due to skill link.

Rock Blast/Bullet Seed/Tail slap are ownage on cinccino. They hit 5 times, provide great coverage, and generally whittle down the opponents health fast. With cinccino's speed, these moves are sure to pack a punch. They aren't useful without cinccino's speed or his skill link ability.

Wake-up-slap. I am not sure why this was in here. I think it is a terrible move. It is prabably for coverage? It would definitely be useful but it just doesn't fit right. Maybe if used it conjuction with the move "sing" it would be ok. But it is really about preference. Having cinccino know a fighting move would be very useful but I would personally rather my opponet be asleep than for me to have cinccino know a fighting move. I would replace it with sing but the 55 accuracy on sing really bothers me. I think coming up with another move to put in the slot for Wake-up-Slap would be good. I would go for sing but I hate moves with such low accuracy.

• Cinnicino @ Life Orb/something else useful
• Skill Link
• Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Wake-up-Slap/Sing/Something else.
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast

Now lets move on to cinccino's role. I could see it as a fast revenge killer. It is kind of frail yet I could see it owning the stage. Once something is dead, switch in and hit them 5 times and switch back into a wall.

So there it is. Let's discuss.

What role could Cinccino play in the OU metagame? Would you personally use it? What moveset would you use? Have you seen it on many OU teams? Could it be a threat? Tell us your thoughts!

WhiteForest
25th April 2011, 11:44 PM
I just played through about 20 online matches on pokemon online. Cinccino was beasting it up. I used:

• Cinnicino @ Life Orb
• Skill Link
• Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Aqua tail
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast

Aqua tail was murdering fires, bullet seed pounding waters, tail slap was my STAB, and rock blast was just owning everyone. Cinccino did show how frail it can be though. It moved first in almost every match due to its speed and did some heavy damage. I was surprised to see such a lack of this pokemon. It proved to me it is a viable attacker. I was able to sweep 3 pokemon in a row with cinccino (almost 4)

I am finding that fighting pokemon are becoming more common. Cinccino faces instant KO from fighting moves. It dies very quickly and this could be the reason why it is uncommon in OU.

kaiser soze
26th April 2011, 12:45 AM
real interesting. when I first saw saw it I dismissed it as a another cutie pokemon like skitty that wouldnt work competitively.

however, skill link is a dream world ability, so it will take time before it is readily available in the real pokemon world. I would use kings rock or something raising the critical hit ratio because both have better chances of happening when you attack 5 times. flinching would help it stay alive

Zachmac
26th April 2011, 2:05 AM
• Cinnicino @ Life Orb
• Skill Link
• Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Aqua tail
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast
DW cinnicino hasn't been released yet...This is probably hacked, and I'd disconnect if I fought it on random matchup(Even though I don't usually disconnect), since it would obviously be hacked. I suggest only using it on battle simulators.

Anyway, give it the kings rock. Every time the enemy would be hit gives it another chance to flinch it.

kaiser soze
26th April 2011, 2:14 AM
DW cinnicino hasn't been released yet...This is probably hacked, and I'd disconnect if I fought it on random matchup(Even though I don't usually disconnect), since it would obviously be hacked. I suggest only using it on battle simulators.

Anyway, give it the kings rock. Every time the enemy would be hit gives it another chance to flinch it.

It was on pokemon online, a simulator. dont worry

Dattebayo
26th April 2011, 2:18 AM
Even with Skill Link, those moves don't have enough power to fully KO a Pokemon, and even with Technician, there's still the issue of accuracy.

Zachmac
26th April 2011, 2:38 AM
Even with Skill Link, those moves don't have enough power to fully KO a Pokemon, and even with Technician, there's still the issue of accuracy.
Well, if that's the case, why does cloyster use Icicle Spear instead of ice beam? Always use Skill Link for multi hit moves, by the way.

Besides, it's a flinch master with skill link+kings rock. Give it a teammate with ThunderWave/StunSpore.

kaiser soze
26th April 2011, 3:07 AM

the idea is to exploit type disadvantages. bullet seed will have 125 base power when used with skill link because it will hit 5 times.I think thats enough power. it also breaks substitutes. bullet seed and rock blast will cover water, ground, rock, fire, bug, flying, and ice off the top of my head. not too shabby. flinching helps. if you can take down 2 pokemon with it, thats good enough

TerraWolf
26th April 2011, 3:21 AM
Inferior Cloyster. Skill Link Cloyster raped me once.

WhiteForest
26th April 2011, 3:23 AM

I have been using skill link cinccino on the online battle simulator pokemon online

WhiteForest
26th April 2011, 3:25 AM
Cloyster is prabably better. He ripped apart my team with icicle spear. However cinccino does have more coverage. If cloyster's icicle spear is disable, he is done for.

EDIT: sorry for posting twice I meant to put that in my above post it was an accident.

chanseychansey77
26th April 2011, 4:00 AM
As the above posters have likely said (except for you, Gio), Cinccino's role is as a Pokemon that ensures none of our Substitutes are safe. Let's not forget it has 115 base Sp. and can easily badly hurt everything without priority that isn't a Steel type. Even Terrakion must bow to the murderous chinchilla without a Scarf or Rock Polish. If only the metagame didn't house so many Fighting types...

kaiser soze
26th April 2011, 4:35 AM
I see cinccino being borderline and staying UU, just based on usage. which is good because on UU there are a lot of stuff she can kill with that type coverage, as well as outspeed

Dattebayo
26th April 2011, 5:09 AM
I see cinccino being borderline and staying UU, just based on usage. which is good because on UU there are a lot of stuff she can kill with that type coverage, as well as outspeed

Not really, it only means she'll be ridiculed by newcomers for not being uber powerful like the rest of the Pokemon in Uber and OU. What GF should do is increase the BP of those Multi-Hit moves like they did with Drain Punch and Giga Drain, so she'll be worthy enough.

kaiser soze
26th April 2011, 5:19 AM
Not really, it only means she'll be ridiculed by newcomers for not being uber powerful like the rest of the Pokemon in Uber and OU. What GF should do is increase the BP of those Multi-Hit moves like they did with Drain Punch and Giga Drain, so she'll be worthy enough.

what part of 125 base power (assuming skill link) do you think isnt strong enough? not to mention breaking substitute/focus sash/sturdy. GF is doing something with these attacks by giving more pokemon skill link. if you made them stronget then they will match hyper beam/ drago meteor etc. in power. and how many times must we tell you that OU means overused, as in too strong for UU?

Ausgirl
26th April 2011, 5:29 AM
Interesting... It's about time that GF introduced a really cute Pokemon that could pull it off competively.

Aquadon
26th April 2011, 5:31 AM
While Cinccino does seem interesting (I prefer Minccino's design personally), I don't think Skill Link will compensate for an Average 95 Base ATK Stat. Don't get me wrong, it'll be good; just probably not a very common Pokemon in the metagame. It'll be nice to see if that changes though.

Zachmac
26th April 2011, 5:33 AM
Not really, it only means she'll be ridiculed by newcomers for not being uber powerful like the rest of the Pokemon in Uber and OU. What GF should do is increase the BP of those Multi-Hit moves like they did with Drain Punch and Giga Drain, so she'll be worthy enough.They did boost the base power of Bullet Seed, and Tail Slap is at the same power. It hits 5 times, with 25 power! As posted above, that's 125 power, and tail slap gets STAB.

That is pretty powerful.

Anyway, as I said earlier, it'll be fun with the kings rock and teammates that paralyze. :D

WhiteForest
26th April 2011, 3:13 PM
Cinccino is very underrated. I find that it has great sweeping capabilities. I just had my first full team sweep with cinccino. (She is named fluffles on pokemon online) People underestimate this moster in disguise. Her speed and power is ripping substitutes apart with skill link. I am using a moveset of (aqua tail/rock blast/bullet seed/tail slap). Although king's rock would be nice, life orb gives cinccino a lot of extra power. I see no reason why cinccino isn't more common in OU. I am finding that she usually kills 3+ pokemon before fainting.

Even if she stays UU, she is still a threat to be reckoned with in OU. She outspeeds cloyster also and I killed one just now with STAB tail slap. However, ferrothorn is a major threat to cinccino. The item rocky helmet gives back damage when you have a physical attack so if a pokemon is holding that when cinccino uses tail slap she takes a hit. But despite these setbacks, this crazy critter is the best member of my pokemon online team at the moment.

Like said above, substitute teams are no longer safe with this wild chinchilla.

Speaking of chinchillas, I actually have a pet chinchilla...

kaiser soze
26th April 2011, 4:26 PM
Cinccino is very underrated. I find that it has great sweeping capabilities. I just had my first full team sweep with cinccino. (She is named fluffles on pokemon online) People underestimate this moster in disguise. Her speed and power is ripping substitutes apart with skill link. I am using a moveset of (aqua tail/rock blast/bullet seed/tail slap). Although king's rock would be nice, life orb gives cinccino a lot of extra power. I see no reason why cinccino isn't more common in OU. I am finding that she usually kills 3+ pokemon before fainting.

Even if she stays UU, she is still a threat to be reckoned with in OU. She outspeeds cloyster also and I killed one just now with STAB tail slap. However, ferrothorn is a major threat to cinccino. The item rocky helmet gives back damage when you have a physical attack so if a pokemon is holding that when cinccino uses tail slap she takes a hit. But despite these setbacks, this crazy critter is the best member of my pokemon online team at the moment.

Like said above, substitute teams are no longer safe with this wild chinchilla.

Speaking of chinchillas, I actually have a pet chinchilla...

haha that explains your infatuation with cinncino. I will agree that it works in OU but it is its glass cannon status (of its not a OHKO or flinch or gets outran it will die) will keep it from being exclusively OU. which is good because if it was only OU even more people will overlook it because of the other stats

Mr G W
26th April 2011, 6:21 PM
The best part is that bullet seed and icicle spear got buffed and the accuracy and PP remained unchanged... kinda unbalanced if we compare with any other multi-hit attack that his weaker, has lower accuracy and lower PP.

30 pp for a potential 125 power attack is just...

Zachmac
27th April 2011, 1:45 AM
The best part is that bullet seed and icicle spear got buffed and the accuracy and PP remained unchanged... kinda unbalanced if we compare with any other multi-hit attack that his weaker, has lower accuracy and lower PP.

30 pp for a potential 125 power attack is just...
But few pokemon have skill link, so it usually has 50-125 power, so it's not that unbalanced.

You're right, though. It has tons of potential.

ShinyBraviary
27th April 2011, 2:48 AM
I prefer to use this set:

Cinccino@Choice Band
Technician
Adamant Nature
Rock Blast
Bullet Seed
Wake-up Slap
Tail Slap
252Atk, 252Speed, and 4HP for EVs.

With choice band, cinccino gets about 475 for attack if my math is correct.

This set has walled many of my opponents. Great for the common Tyranitar.

Zachmac
27th April 2011, 2:59 AM
I prefer to use this set:

Cinccino@Choice Band
Technician
Adamant Nature
Rock Blast
Bullet Seed
Wake-up Slap
Tail Slap
252Atk, 252Speed, and 4HP for EVs.

With choice band, cinccino gets about 475 for attack if my math is correct.

This set has walled many of my opponents. Great for the common Tyranitar.How could this wall anything? Attack has nothing to do with walling enemies....Do you mean taken out? To wall is to resist everything thrown at it.

WhiteForest
27th April 2011, 11:13 PM
That is a good set but I prefer jolly nature so it isn't outsped. And Technician doesn't use cinccino to his full ability. Choice band doesn't let him sweep because he has to switch out if something resists his current move.

I am currently trying to come up with a team centered around cinccino and catering to his needs. Any thoughts on this? What if I used smeargle to baton pass with dragon dance? (Thunderbolt/confuse ray/dragon dance/baton pass) He could paralyze + confuse opponent, use a bunch of dragon dances, and baton pass into cinccino.

cantab
28th April 2011, 12:57 AM
I have been wanting to use Cinccino in OU for a while now, and I think it could work. It is a very fast sleep inducer at 115 speed.But horribly unreliable. You've got to be a gambler to want to use Sing.

Wake-up-slap. I am not sure why this was in here. I think it is a terrible move. It is prabably for coverage?Yup, it's for Steels. It's better with Technician. Bear in mind Skill Link Cinccino is unreleased.
Aqua Tail is Cinccino's only other noteworthy attack.

Technician Cinccino, the only current option, is I would say a Pokemon for gamblers. Even once Skill Link's available, Technician does boost Wake-Up Slap so you can hit Steels harder. The lack of a better way to deal with steel types is perhaps Cinccino's biggest flaw.

How hard does Cinccino's Power Herb Dig hit common steels? It's gimmicky, but might work. If you eliminate your opponent's fighting type, they may well go to a steel when they see Cinccino.

Zachmac
28th April 2011, 2:13 AM
That is a good set but I prefer jolly nature so it isn't outsped. And Technician doesn't use cinccino to his full ability. Choice band doesn't let him sweep because he has to switch out if something resists his current move.

I am currently trying to come up with a team centered around cinccino and catering to his needs. Any thoughts on this? What if I used smeargle to baton pass with dragon dance? (Thunderbolt/confuse ray/dragon dance/baton pass) He could paralyze + confuse opponent, use a bunch of dragon dances, and baton pass into cinccino.Steel trappers, so you don't have to give it wake-up-slap.
It's better with Technician. Bear in mind Skill Link Cinccino is unreleased.
Well, let's just assume this is on a battle simulator. Besides, it will be released at some point.

kaiser soze
28th April 2011, 2:13 AM

I am currently trying to come up with a team centered around cinccino and catering to his needs. Any thoughts on this? What if I used smeargle to baton pass with dragon dance? (Thunderbolt/confuse ray/dragon dance/baton pass) He could paralyze + confuse opponent, use a bunch of dragon dances, and baton pass into cinccino.

spore is usually recommended for baton passing because it causes sleep with 100% accuracy. focus sash would be a good idea too because theurea a good chance you will be outspead. smearglue has 55/20/35/20/45/75 base stats (and you thought cinccino was frail...). belly drum is better because you can get +6 attack then GTFO while hes still asleep. complements jolly+252 speed EVs. possibly agility too, but youre really gambling at that point.

Well, let's just assume this is on a battle simulator. Besides, it will be released at some point.
unlike shadow tagalure....

jesusfreak94
28th April 2011, 2:43 AM
Aqua Tail is Cinccino's only other noteworthy attack.

There's U-Turn. As a matter of fact, has anyone even mentioned U-Turn yet?

Zachmac
28th April 2011, 3:21 AM
There's U-Turn. As a matter of fact, has anyone even mentioned U-Turn yet? Good idea, it could pull
-Life orb/technician
-Jolly/252att/252spee
-Fake Out
-U-turn
-WakeupSlap
-Return

It plays like an ambipalm, it hits, then runs.

Mr G W
28th April 2011, 3:28 PM
But few pokemon have skill link, so it usually has 50-125 power, so it's not that unbalanced.

You're right, though. It has tons of potential.

Still compare to rock blast: same power but much lower PP and accuracy.

Bullet seed and Icicle spear used to be power 10 and 30 PP moves are usually weak.

Also most multi hit moves have 15 PP and 14-18 power with 75-90 accuracy! This is really messed up.

Cinccino with Technician can be a "gambler" if he used tail slap has each hit will have 56 (STAB and Tech) base power so thats 112 minimum and 280 maximum.

If we use him with Skill Link, tail slap will always have 187 base power.

blaZofgold
1st May 2011, 11:33 PM
But once it hits, it won't miss for any more of its 2-5 hits. So it's a tradeoff.

Techinician is a pretty good idea, since you could also use a bunch of other moves alongside it (Wakeup slap, fake out, etc) and not be forced to use multi hit moves.

And why in the WORLD did GF give DW Ambipom Skill Link? Like Fury Swipes is any good.

Pseudo-Unlegendary
2nd May 2011, 12:07 AM
Skill Link is what makes it. It is such an amazing ability to have, and while I don't know what context would give it to Cinccino, it's a good ability for it.

Jessie_James
15th May 2011, 6:19 AM
I run mine with Sing :) they don't see it coming most of the time

Blinkingsky
16th May 2011, 12:16 AM
Only faced a couple of these things, and lemme tell you, if it wasn't for my Sceptile's Unburden ability activating and out speeding this thing, I would have lost more than just my Volcarona and severe damage to Sceptile. Cincinno is just like Cloyster: they can kill easily with Skill Link.

Dasdardly
16th May 2011, 12:57 AM
With Technician, Bullet Seed is at least 75 BP; but the risk is a big one. I think I had one like this:
Cinchino@ Razor Claw
Technician
Jolly 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 6 HP
-U-turn
-Tail Slap
-Rock Blast
-Bullet Seed
Its frailness really annoyed me, though.

Ne0n-H!tch'd
16th May 2011, 8:28 AM
I have a Cinccino with Technician and an Adamant nature... My Oh My DOES IT whip some a$ s!

JasonTongFlute
16th May 2011, 9:17 AM
I faced a Japanese guy with this.... My Ferrothorn walled it completely :P

Ne0n-H!tch'd
17th May 2011, 6:08 AM
Cinccino needs a good foghting type move to demolish!

Sircharles
17th May 2011, 6:21 AM
I run mine with aqua tail. When dw minccino comes out I'll use one fashow. I also use u-turn, return etc.