PDA

View Full Version : EV training?

Tnuter
5th May 2011, 6:47 PM
Did you EV train your Pokemon to fight the gym leaders? I got the pokerus so I decided to start ev training. I am training a grovyle right now then I'm going to EV train a scraggy that knows Ice punch and Thunder punch and go destroy the last 4 gym leaders I have to fight. Share your EV training stories for Pokemon Black and White here!!!

Rhonder
6th May 2011, 4:02 PM
I don't really see EV training for any of the gyms really all that necessary XD The only one that was even remotely tough for me was the 2nd one... and that was cuz she cheated >.> take down should not be that powerful lol.

Anyways, I'm in the process of EV training my team for the upcoming vgc :3 I have 2 of them done so far, 6 to go. Only abnoxious part is having to farm the subway with mostly normal pokemon to get the dumb power items.... buuuut I only have 2 left to get XD so I'm almost there

Trainer Frankie
6th May 2011, 4:20 PM
Ok, why was this thread passed by mods? We already have an ev discussing thread. It's kind of upseting since I tried making a thread to discuss this topic before we had the ev and iv discussing thread, but the mods didn't let it show up in this forum. Ugh, mods. >: (

But yes, I ev trained while going through the game. Though until my pokemon maxed their evs, I didn't freely use them in battles. At first I did, but after the first gym I started focusing on evs. Then up to before the Cold Storage, I used my Chip (watchog caught as a patrat for cut) to take spare evs I didn't want the other pokemon to pick up. Then I didn't continue the game until all the pokemon I was using maxed their evs. After that, I could use my team freely, I just tried keeping them all the same level.

wearjo
6th May 2011, 4:28 PM
Hey Tnuter, if u want, i know this isnt a trading thread but i do have a jolly scraggy that i can trade 2 u :)

lloyd094
6th May 2011, 5:04 PM
I personally hate EV training - If somebody else does it, that's fine. But I don't see the fun in it. First off, you spend days, hours... on it and finally get done. But also, where's the fun in that?

Why not train it with what comes up and use it how it actually is. That would make it much more enjoyable that going:

"Ok Charziard, you can do this! You only need to beat a few hundred more Oddishes!!!"

Isn't that overly boring???

Nymphaea
6th May 2011, 5:08 PM
I personally hate EV training - If somebody else does it, that's fine. But I don't see the fun in it. First off, you spend days, hours... on it and finally get done. But also, where's the fun in that?

Why not train it with what comes up and use it how it actually is. That would make it much more enjoyable that going:

"Ok Charziard, you can do this! You only need to beat a few hundred more Oddishes!!!"

Isn't that overly boring???

Not really, it takes about 30-60 minutes usually, if you have all the power items, and the stats are much better when EV trained properly. With up to 63 points from EV training a single stat, it can give a big advantage, since damage is based on percentages, it could make you do 50% more damage.

Trainer Frankie
6th May 2011, 5:19 PM
I ev trained my shiny elgyem in like a day. With vitamins and wings, I didn't have to battle anything.

But it makes sense, the pokemon's stats become better dependind on what it fights. So without focusing the evs, your pokemon can have evs scattered. So I like to ev train. I mean, it can be boring, but it makes the pokemon better than if I didn't focus the evs.

NorthernLord
6th May 2011, 5:38 PM
I EV-trained 3 pokemon in my current team. They were Riolu, Mudkip and Zorua. I gave about 400 EVs to each of them through vitamins only. It took me 10 minutes when including the time it took to buy all the vitamins. Later, I transferred them to my friend's game, I restarted mine, and we linked them back. Now, I do NOT regret training them that way :)

But I don't consider EV-training my playthrough-teams important. I just did because I thought it would be funny to specialize them a little bit more + because of the fact I had $ 900 000 in my game that I needed to spend before restarting.

Lycael
6th May 2011, 5:40 PM
Not really, it takes about 30-60 minutes usually, if you have all the power items, and the stats are much better when EV trained properly. With up to 63 points from EV training a single stat, it can give a big advantage, since damage is based on percentages, it could make you do 50% more damage.

^^
This, it really does help, as long as you have Pokerus and Power items, it takes about 15 miniutes per Pokémon, so just be certain that you want that Pokemon on your team first.

Sizerdrix
6th May 2011, 5:43 PM
I can't say that I EV train my pokemon before beating the elite 4. My main reason for this is that once you have access to a lot more money, by beating the elite 4, buying vitamins becomes a lot easier. You also have some half decent pokemon by then also to fight for the subway (or tower) items.

I don't think it's an essential thing to do if you're just going to be playing against the computer, but against other humans then it's very much worth your while.

Trainer Frankie
6th May 2011, 6:01 PM
I feel if I don't ev train them, my pokemon won't be good enough for competetive battle. I don't want my ingame to just be for ingame.

Arcanine724
6th May 2011, 6:51 PM
I haven't ever EV trained my Pokemon, apart from a Shiny Salamence on SS!!

Validus
6th May 2011, 7:24 PM
I Ev trained alot of pokemon in the 4th Gen, but unless i'm going to make a team for competative battling i don't bother. I when stat crazy in the 4th gen, i Breed and hatched hundereds of eggs for good abilities, natures and IVs. i carefully counted EVs and had a notebook so i could keep track. i don't do it anymore because it started to get stressful and felt like it was taking forever (egg hatching was the worst). so far for 5th gen i've just be playing casually and it's been fun. I might go breeder crazy again but not yet.

Witchan
6th May 2011, 7:37 PM
Yes, I ev train my pokemon to fight the Gym Leader, even though it took long enough to do it, especially with Pokemon that has high EXP points.

Firebreather
6th May 2011, 9:53 PM
I typically don't EV train my pokemon for the gym leaders, since I usually don't have the power items/pokerus or the right natured pokemon.

As for whether or not EV training is worth it, I definitely think it is. Plus, when you're finally done with EV training a whole team, it's really fun to see how good they have become :)

Aquarelle
7th May 2011, 12:57 PM
On my White, I used EV trained Pokemon from the second gym onward. I bred and EV trained 6 Pokemon (3 from Platinum, 3 from Black), traded them from Black to White as soon as I could, then used them for the rest of the game.

I really don't like using non-EV trained Pokemon. It just really bugs me knowing that their stats aren't as good as they could be and that they're not being used to their full potential. That's why whenever I start a new game I EV train a team on another game and then trade it over so that I can play through the new game with my team. It really helps having a team with higher stats, IMO.

Cetra
7th May 2011, 1:07 PM
I do purposely EV train my Pokémon but only those which are supposed to be used online.

For Attack I use the way to the victory road, for Special Attack I use Litwick at the Pokémon Graveyard, for Initiative I use that +2 Initiative Fish, for Defense I use ... wait ... hm ... I don't really know. Sometimes Graveler or something like that in the cave of challenge and for Special Defense I use that new Jellyfish Pokémon.

Tnuter
7th May 2011, 7:04 PM
Hey Tnuter, if u want, i know this isnt a trading thread but i do have a jolly scraggy that i can trade 2 u :)

I have a scraggy, thanks for the offer though.

I finished EV training Sceptile, He is amazing now this is the first time I EV trained it only took me like and hour I had Pokerus and a Macho Brace on so it didn't take long at all. It was definentley worth the time. I still have to train scraggy though which I keep putting off, mostly due to the fact I found out how to use the Dream world. I think I'll EV train scraggy today though I'm not doing anything.
If anyone wants a DW Exeggcute send me a PM I'll breed one for you.

I might go breeder crazy again but not yet.
Haha too late for me. xD

\Mightyena/
7th May 2011, 7:42 PM
I hate EV training until I'm done. It's just so time consuming.

PokemasterAustin
8th May 2011, 3:02 AM
I never really cared about EV training so I never did it. I'm starting to see how important it is though because I lose more than I win on the random matchups. I will most likely start though cause I want my Pokemon to be the best that they can be :D

Ballistic Buizel
8th May 2011, 3:25 AM
I'm EVing my Axew to become a really nice sweeper :D I like EV training because I've got power items and pokerus so it really doesn't take long at all.

free2be_any1
24th May 2011, 8:07 AM
I honestly don't EV train before the elite 4 because its not necessary besides I get bored of planning it out and having to keep at it. I'd rather play for fun first lol...but I have gotten into EV training alot more now since TMs are reusable and its become easier to EV train lol. I'm planning on creating an EV trained Team to explore the other areas I haven't reached/fully explored and for battling maybe?...idk I've never battled another actually player besides my sister and a few friends lol

P.S. I only EV train my favorites :)) I could not possibly EV train and take the time for something I'm not fond of at all....

*IZ*
24th May 2011, 3:12 PM
I EV traiin after I beat the main storyline. But I don't EV tran before.

Aello
24th May 2011, 4:00 PM
I never caught Pokerus until after I'd finished White and was halfway through Black, so I never EV trained anything and won't until I've beaten the first elite four in Black as well.

PokeMEN
24th May 2011, 11:58 PM
I just finishes EVing a haxorus, basculin, ferrothorn, thundurus, and darmanitan which has perfect atk and speed!!! :D

UltimateVictini
13th September 2011, 11:57 PM
I was EV training a full team for a pkmn championships :D
I still lost though:(

Bsugarhigh
15th September 2011, 5:50 PM
LoL EV training is the only boring part of the game... I think there should be a more fun way to raise pokemon stats.

TheGreatDragonite
16th September 2011, 9:51 PM
Yes, EV training is boring, but very worthwhile. I my EV trained Dragonite with perfect attack and speed characteristics is literally unbeatable. It has never moved last either.

Larry
17th September 2011, 3:09 AM
Yes, EV training is boring, but very worthwhile. I my EV trained Dragonite with perfect attack and speed characteristics is literally unbeatable. It has never moved last either.

Battle on wifi or super battle subway. It's not that fast.

leafstormfire
17th September 2011, 8:57 PM
I only EV train after the Elite 4, because I can beat the Gym Leaders easily enough.

Demonsead
18th September 2011, 4:49 AM
I only EV train after the Elite 4, because I can beat the Gym Leaders with what I can catch ingame.

Soul18655
19th September 2011, 1:02 AM
in what stats so i EV train my scizor for competitive game play

Larry
19th September 2011, 2:04 AM
in what stats so i EV train my scizor for competitive game play

Attack and Speed

Soul18655
19th September 2011, 2:07 AM
that what I figured but would it be wise to put 252 ev in speed because he not that fast what if I put that in sp def or def?

Mister_SGG
19th September 2011, 2:10 AM
I doubt anyone has. It's completely unecessary, for a start.

Larry
19th September 2011, 2:13 AM
that what I figured but would it be wise to put 252 ev in speed because he not that fast what if I put that in sp def or def?

Choice Scarf and take off a few Speed EVs for some HP.

Soul18655
19th September 2011, 2:29 AM
Choice Scarf and take off a few Speed EVs for some HP.

thanks I'll try that, and man when I type fast my English sucks.

Excitable Boy
19th September 2011, 2:34 AM
Don't. You're far better off using CB or SD to boost.

Soul18655
19th September 2011, 3:05 AM
Don't. You're far better off using CB or SD to boost.

where would you put the EV on the siczor?

Excitable Boy
19th September 2011, 3:45 PM
where would you put the EV on the siczor?

Depends on the set.

Soul18655
19th September 2011, 4:02 PM
His set is Roost, bug bite, bullet punch, and superpower, I'm planning on getting rid of bug bite for X-scissors or sword dance though

Soul18655
19th September 2011, 4:03 PM
His set is Roost, bug bite, bullet punch, and superpower, I'm planning on getting rid of bug bite for X-scissors or sword dance though

Excitable Boy
19th September 2011, 4:09 PM
Drop Superpower for SD and run Adamant Technician, 252 HP/40 Atk/216 SpD, holding Lefties or LO.

EVs make sure you're not 2HKOed by Virizion or Reuniclus Focus Blasts. It appreciates hazard support. Tyranitar, Gyarados, Heatran, and Politoed are all good teammates.

Natjo
19th September 2011, 4:57 PM
EV's are at their full potential at lv 100.
So EV training for gym leaders would be fairly useless since your pokes would only be around lv 40-50.

The Eleventh
20th September 2011, 7:50 PM
Why is this still open when we have this (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=498201)? O_o

GillespieWolf
19th October 2011, 11:17 AM
Does anyone have any good ideas for Vanilluxe? It's one of my favourite Pokemon. I was thinking SpAt and Spd (Speed) EV's but no idea of a move-set. Possible member of a hail party with Abomasnow (still have to EV train Abomasnow) Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

floatzel98
19th October 2011, 12:12 PM
i never ev train my pokemon before i finish the game. besides i don't see how you can ev train your pokemon before you have finished the main story. since you are fighting a whole lot of different people like gym leaders and all their pokemon give different evs which means you can't ev train in one stat level

Kass157
22nd October 2011, 2:21 AM
I cleared the game with no EV training at all, yet, I caugh a few poke's, and made up a team, breed them with IV's and Nature. A friend helped me, I begun the game, EV trained all the poke's before reaching the first gym with the power items, and what do you know! An epic triple battle Sandstorm team! !

razorrozar7
22nd October 2011, 2:31 AM
I'm getting ready to start EV training my first ever competitive team.

AuraSphere
22nd October 2011, 2:49 AM
I only EV-train my Pokemon for competitive use.

Gelatino95
22nd October 2011, 2:57 AM
Like other people said, I only use EV training for competitive purposes. Implementing it as part of your run-through of the game takes the fun out of it, in my opinion. Besides, I had absolutely no trouble getting through the game without EV training.

redcharzard
23rd October 2011, 8:05 AM
EV training in game could only be done easily after getting surf and fly usable. This cuts the time it takes to get to the needed pokemon down and gives access to Frillish(1 EP for special defense) and guranteed Stunfisk(2 Hp EPs). Other then those 2 I use woobat(1 speed EP) and rogenrola(1 defense EP(sturdy is annoying)) at the cave near the first gym, route 4(the desert(all pokemon -hippopatas provide 1 attack EP)) and Celestial tower for Litwick(1 special attack EP) to EV train my pokemon. My most recent one is a Level 100 Lugia 252 hp 252 def and 4 S.atk with calm mind, thunderbolt, ice beam, and recover for it's move set.

Lavi
23rd October 2011, 8:20 AM
No need to EV train to take on Gym Leaders, In most games they're relatively easy and with a small amount of strategy you will take them down with no problems.

pokeninja123
23rd October 2011, 12:56 PM
no i don't...

j_gamez
23rd October 2011, 4:23 PM
i only ev train when i got all the power item from the battle subway.
to make things easier and faster.

2rsa
27th October 2011, 7:04 PM
I just ev trained my Reshiram to defeat the champion but i also used an ev trained haxorus to defeat the last few gyms.
the rest of my team was pretty normal.

Rarity
27th October 2011, 9:50 PM
I do EV train but not for the Gym battles. Usually after ive beaten the game i will eventaully EV train

jstinftw!
28th October 2011, 9:39 AM
On my first three play throughs, no, I didn't. I was against EV training back then.

But now, I've done it before. It's hard for me not to; it's part of our training regimen, and it actually helps with like, level grinding.

Ghost_MissingNo
28th October 2011, 12:04 PM
I couldn't care less for EV training cause it seems to be too much of a hassle. All my level 100 Pokemon have never been EV trained and a lot of them didn't have Pokerus when I started to level them (only got pokerus in Pearl about 3 years ago when just randomly battling Pokemon).
Thankfully, I am not really into competitive battling anyway, but I think my Pokemon would definitely be a problem if I did actually get into that, lol.

Subwooper
25th February 2012, 9:22 PM
I've fully EV trained my Riolu, Skyle, in Sp. Atk, but his Sp. Atk stat is only 44. with 252 Sp. Atk EVs, he should have a boost of 63, so how is this possible? ;194;

The Eleventh
25th February 2012, 9:24 PM
I've fully EV trained my Riolu, Skyle, in Sp. Atk, but his Sp. Atk stat is only 44. with 252 Sp. Atk EVs, he should have a boost of 63, so how is this possible? ;194;
You won't see the complete benefits of EV training until Level 100 in Black and White, however the EVs are still present.

richm88
25th February 2012, 9:29 PM
You won't see the complete benefits of EV training until Level 100 in Black and White, however the EVs are still present.

so if you train a pokemon to level 100,fully EV trained, when you do the battle subway and everything basically gets chopped in half stat wise does the EV stat get chopped to level 50s worth aswel?

Phoenix6000
26th February 2012, 6:48 AM
Ever since Platinum I've felt the need to EV train, even if it's just for the in-game battles.

SilverLanayru
29th February 2012, 4:38 AM
*facepalm* This topic has been necrobumped...

But anyway, I did EV-train throughout the story line. Though every time I accidentally defeat a Pokémon, whose EVs given aren't the ones I wanted, I would either have to just suck it up or restart the battles (I would usually save between every battle), especially since I didn't have any EV-reducing berries/items on me at the time. :/

so if you train a pokemon to level 100,fully EV trained, when you do the battle subway and everything basically gets chopped in half stat wise does the EV stat get chopped to level 50s worth aswel?

I'm not sure what you mean here, but the EVs you gained for that Pokémon aren't affected.

Owl
5th March 2012, 10:50 AM
I actually started EV training for the first time the other day because unlike all the other Pokemon games, After the main story was over it felt like there was nothing in game to do for MONTHS. So I took up Ev training. Right Now I'm MMing for a Shiny Shellder to add to my team. It will be the second Pokemon I've ever EV trained by myself. I'm so excited!

Dragrath
5th March 2012, 11:44 PM
I Ev train everything good I catch/hatch so (pokerus is amazing by the way)

Zexiontwo
6th March 2012, 5:15 AM
I don't understand EVs and IVs...

Pucca_ness
6th March 2012, 11:39 AM
^They're easy enough to get the hang of unless you have trouble with numbers, look them up.

I started EV training before I thought about IVs. I resurrected my original Silver team and EV trained them and some of them didn't even have the most optimal natures. :p

I now EV train every shiny I want to use to the best it's nature can offer and if I'm chaining something I catch more than one and use a synchroniser so I can get a good mix of natures and IV spreads. Now when breeding I keep tab of IVs too. They don't have to be perfect if I just want a certain pokemon for my playthrough team but I like the natures to be good. When catching my Litwick for my team I caught many and only kept the Modest one. :p

I started breeding Scyther for a competitive team but it's quite annoying trying to get the perfect IVs, natures and egg moves on it.

The first time I EV trained during my first playthrough of a game was in White. I did it with my Axew after spending ages hatching eggs for a shiny, after it shone I EV trained it and did the same with my Rufflet. I also EV trained my Litwick after all that time looking for a Modest one and I'm pretty certain I did it with Tirtouga too. So the majority of my team are EV trained, something which I've never done before unless it was a pure shiny or hatched team.

EmperorK
18th April 2013, 10:53 PM
I just asked this in another thread too. I think overall stats are something like EV x Level (well that would be the core of perhaps a more complex formula at the very least), so your EVs stay the same, the level is halved, and the overall effect of each attribute is then halved.... can anyone confirm this?

nathandg0924
21st April 2013, 5:12 PM
I always loved EV training my Pokemon all the time in my games, even if I'm not a competitive battler. I like it because it helps me dominate against other trainers. :P
-Nate the;448;

Mew The Gato
21st April 2013, 5:33 PM
I never EV Train for in-game purposes. I do EV Train for Competitive Purposes, though.

spyrosgost
22nd April 2013, 3:57 PM
Only for wi fi battles!For gyms i think there is no reason

bobandbill
23rd April 2013, 8:36 AM
Please don't bump threads older than a month since the last post, please. Closed.