PDA

View Full Version : Quick Claw Glitch?

darumaka4856
7th May 2011, 5:41 PM
Just been training a Lv. 24 Darumaka in Pinwheel Forest and noticed some strange behaviour with the Quick Claw I gave it. Every so often I'll get the message "Darumaka's Quick Claw let it move first!" - immediately followed by the foe's attack rather than Darumaka's!!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Seems to happen most often when battling a Venipede when it uses Protect - the Protect would go first despite my Darumaka's Quick Claw supposedly kicking in.

UK game cart, haven't ever used any cheat codes or anything...

NorthernLord
7th May 2011, 6:19 PM
That's probably because the protect is supposed to always go before anything else. The intention of quick claw is just to let your pokemon move first at times when it's battling a faster opponent. But protect comes first. That, in my oppinion, is stupid.

darumaka4856
7th May 2011, 6:25 PM
I thought it could be something like that. The mechanics for what goes first and what doesn't, and what effects cancel each other out must be so complex now.

But yes, if Protect is a special case that "trumps" Quick Claw, still getting the message about Quick Claw is a bit stupid, I agree there.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I've had the same thing battling the said Darumaka against a Cottonee, where I'd get "Darumaka's Quick Claw let it move first!" only for the Cottonee to use Stun Spore first. I'll post back if I notice it again...

Ultimate Glalie
7th May 2011, 6:28 PM
I thought it could be something like that. The mechanics for what goes first and what doesn't, and what effects cancel each other out must be so complex now.

But yes, if Protect is a special case that "trumps" Quick Claw, still getting the message about Quick Claw is a bit stupid, I agree there.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I've had the same thing battling the said Darumaka against a Cottonee, where I'd get "Darumaka's Quick Claw let it move first!" only for the Cottonee to use Stun Spore first. I'll post back if I notice it again...Cottonee's ability, Prankster, increases the priority of its non-damaging moves. Therefore Cottonee went first because it had a higher speed than Darumaka.

neo darkrai
7th May 2011, 6:28 PM
Moves have a priority. Moves like Protect and Detect have a priority of +4 while moves like Quick Attack and Mach Punch have a priority of +2. Moves with a higher priority go first regardless of speed. The Quick Claw only makes you go first if both you and your opponent use a move that have the same priority.

http://www.serebii.net/games/speedpriority.shtml

darumaka4856
7th May 2011, 6:35 PM
Ah! It all makes sense now - thanks all for your replies.

I guess, in that case, the only "glitch" is just the misleading prompt text when Quick Claw kicks in. Maybe an internationalisation issue? Does anyone know what it says in the original Japanese and how that transliterates? Maybe the translation into English has subtly changed the meaning - for example, if the original Japanese transliterates as "Darumaka's Quick Claw boosted speed!" that would still be correct in this circumstance, whereas "Darumaka's Quick Claw let it move first!" evidently isn't...

Venomfang
7th May 2011, 6:45 PM
I had this happen to me once.

Witchan
7th May 2011, 7:20 PM
Sadly, Quick Claw doesn't work on anyone with Prankster, Protect, and Detect. It's not a glitch, but it's natural.

jolteon135
7th May 2011, 7:42 PM
Read up on the game mechanics for speed priority. Quick claw DOES work on pokemon with prankster if you are using a move with the same priority (prankster increases non-damaging move priority by 1) or higher. It works against protect and detect too if you use a move with +3 or higher priority (+4 if pokemon with prankster is using protect/detect).

TheEpicGoomba
7th May 2011, 9:08 PM
Protect always goes first.

neo darkrai
8th May 2011, 12:46 AM
Protect always goes first.

Not necessarily. Helping Hand would go before Protect in a battle.

jolteon135
8th May 2011, 12:49 AM
Not necessarily. Helping Hand would go before Protect in a battle.
Lol, finally, someone who understands how priority works.

Typhlosionvsworld
8th May 2011, 12:54 AM
Priority relies on speed and other things. Fake Out always goes first no matter what. Unless Protect or Detect or Endure is used. That's when speed kicks in.

Ultimate Glalie
8th May 2011, 1:16 AM
Priority relies on speed and other things. Fake Out always goes first no matter what. Unless Protect or Detect or Endure is used. That's when speed kicks in.Fake Out has a priority of +3, while Protect, Detect and Endure have a priority of +4. This means that Protect/Detect/Endure will always go before Fake Out, regardless of each Pokemon's speed stat, unless the Pokemon using Fake Out is holding a Quick Claw and it activates. Only then would the speed stat be taken into account.

Typhlosionvsworld
8th May 2011, 1:20 AM
Fake Out has a priority of +3, while Protect, Detect and Endure have a priority of +4. This means that Protect/Detect/Endure will always go before Fake Out, regardless of each Pokemon's speed stat, unless the Pokemon using Fake Out is holding a Quick Claw and it activates. Only then would the speed stat be taken into account.

I just said that protection moves would go first......

lucario-adict
8th May 2011, 2:02 AM
that happened to me today when my darkrai was fighting a liepard, it used its quick claw, but liepard did sucker punch, so it depends but it is possible

kaiser soze
8th May 2011, 3:01 AM
does quick claw actually make you gain a priority? I think it only works if both moves have the same priority, as in something using a higher priority or with prankster will always beat a quick claw

Excitable Boy
8th May 2011, 3:05 AM
does quick claw actually make you gain a priority? I think it only works if both moves have the same priority, as in something using a higher priority or with prankster will always beat a quick claw

Basically, it gives you a Speed stat of infinity for that turn.

hydreigonpwns206
15th November 2011, 11:31 PM
Moves have a priority. Moves like Protect and Detect have a priority of +4 while moves like Quick Attack and Mach Punch have a priority of +2. Moves with a higher priority go first regardless of speed. The Quick Claw only makes you go first if both you and your opponent use a move that have the same priority

Actually those are wrong. Quick Attack has a priority of +1, but yeah.

The Eleventh
15th November 2011, 11:38 PM
The Quick Claw allows you to go first, depending on priority. If your opponent and you both use moves with 4+ priority, and if your Quick Claw activates, you'll go first, regardless of Speed. If you use a move of +1 priority, and your opponent uses one of +2, even if your Quick Claw activates, they'll move first. So, yes, you're right.

DragonXmicro
15th November 2011, 11:40 PM
seeing as, if you use focus punch(-7), your opponent almost always moves before you

The Imposter
16th November 2011, 1:00 AM
What Quick Claw does is boosts the speed priority of a move by 1. So, if you used a move with +1 priority, it would be +2. Likewise, a -1 move would have regular priority. When Venipede uses Protect, a move with a priority of +4, it would go first regardless of the attack used, as Darumaka cannot learn Fake Out. Cottonee's Prankster ability makes status moves like Stun Spore have higher priority. Cottonee is faster than Darumaka, as such it moves first.

Flare♥
25th September 2012, 11:38 PM
I really feel quick claw should bypass everything since it only works sometimes. But with abilities like prankster and such, quick claw seems kinda pointless...