PDA

View Full Version : Hyper-offense, or balanced in disguise?

homestarhydon
9th May 2011, 3:01 AM
Ever since the dawn of the fifth generation, many people have been raving about hyper-offense being the best and most prominent strategy, especially if their sweepers are benefited by the ever-prominent auto weather pokes. And with the ultra-terrifying dragons running around, it would seem that hyper offense is the best option. However, now that the smogon usage stats are up, anyone can see that ferrothorn is the number-one used pokemon, and gliscor isn't too far down at number 5, and both are used primarily as extremely bulky/stalling/walling pokemon. Not to mention, there are very few teams you see that don't have a blissey, jellicent, or skarmory if they don't have ferro or gliscor. So, is it possible that it only LOOKS like offense is the dominant force right now? Is it possible that walls, stallers, and bulky pokes have increased in quality, so a team only needs one or two? And with these new-and-improved defensive pokemon, you can have more freedom with your other pokemon, not having to sacrifice power for bulk and go for pure sweepers, able to rely on your one or two dedicated walls to take most of the hits. What do you think?

Zachmac
10th May 2011, 1:29 AM
To get started, stalling is a battle simulator thing. Stall teams can literally last for hours on the DS, especially if two fight. This means more offensive pokemon, of course. A wall for every team might be a good idea, and I use a subseed jumpluff(for sleep powder) and bulky gliscor. Other then that, I go on the offensive.

legendarypokemonmaster
10th May 2011, 1:35 AM
I think it's probably balanced.

Never underestimate the power of stall.

chanseychansey77
10th May 2011, 1:41 AM
Balanced, I'd say. Though my LO'ed Durant and Scarfed Darmanitan lead my battles, my Condeldurr and Jellicent are probably the more formidable.

Haxorusfan
10th May 2011, 1:50 AM
I think that everyone run 1 or 2 stallers. Personally, I run two stallers and four sweepers. But that's just my opinion. I think that its balanced. you should make this into a poll.

Medicham's Hat
10th May 2011, 2:02 AM
I personally run
-Lead
-Physical sweeper
-Special Sweeper
-Mixed Wall or Sweeper
-Special Wall
-Physical Wall

... Unless I'm going for an unusual team like a full stall or Hyper-Offensive

Tbird
10th May 2011, 2:06 AM
It's not really about the stalling aspect of these pokemon that is making them so high, it's those brilliant resists they pack that make them a great defensive pivot on a team. For instance if a team is worried about bulky waters, then Ferrothorn is the way to go. Also, a lot of people are scared of Conkeldur and other physically scary folks like that, so they pack the gliscor, as fighting types are flying around all over the place.
Not to mention, Gliscor and Ferrothorn hit incredibly hard, also.

What I mean to say is, these pokemon fit PERFECTLY onto hyper offence teams. There isn't really much room for balance, as everything is hitting so hard you just want something on your team that can quickly give you momentum, then you have to start firing back as hard as you can in return.
In all honesty, the only place balance can really work this gen is in Sand teams, IMO, as the sand abusers are generally quite bulky and use their bulk to pull off sweeps (see: Reuniclus) and use the boost that sand gives them to tank these hard hits and destroy things in retalation (Specially defencive Tyranitar)

But no, outside of stall you won't really see teams running too many dual walls (see SkarmBliss) or balanced teams, as there is just too much of the metagame that has to be checked that you just need someone with the right typing to check your team's common weakness. Not to mention, everything is running mixed sets these days, and if they're not running mixed sets they have Taunt tucked away somewhere, so these slower Bulky Offence / Balanced teams can't really do much when they face someone like Hydreigon who can attack from both sides of the spectrum AND use taunt.

I hope that makes sense :D

Swagga09
10th May 2011, 3:02 AM
Personally, I just dont have the patience to deal with stall teams or fighting against them

the battle can literally last for hours.

Lets just fight and get to the point. lol

Venomfang
10th May 2011, 3:07 AM
I prefer to use walls and tire my opponents out. Then I send in my sweeper.

PaluWoj
10th May 2011, 4:33 AM
Personally, I think hyper-offense is a trend that will pass. My team (shown in my signature) is pretty balanced and it consistently ranks in the top 1-3% on Pokemon Online. I don't have anything as offensively intimidating as CB Scizor or Excadrill. I have a simple build of two special attackers (Gengar and Starmie) two physical attackers (Mienshao and Cloyster) and two walls (Umbreon as a special wall and Dusknoir as a physical one). Hyper offense is a viable option, but it's prominence isn't because of it's superiority but because of it's popularity.

RifleAvenger
10th May 2011, 4:36 AM
I run stall, and I'll say this: offense has the edge, but defense can still cut it. One thing that is true is that resists are far more important now, it's getting harder and harder to survive on high base stats alone.

Then again, I don't play at a very high level, so I'm not sure what's going on up there.

Agonist
10th May 2011, 7:47 PM
I tend to use a stallish team, just because that's how I enjoy playing. Occasionally I'll run a hyper-offense team, but it's really not my style

murkrowsabeast
10th May 2011, 11:02 PM
I like to play more defensively than offensively

girazard
11th May 2011, 9:38 AM
I like to stall for a bit with Subseeding+hazards then bring in a finsher. Usully somethin that can DD.

Also Paluwoi, what set does your Umbreon have? I was under the impression that in Gen V it is really outclassed.

Sizerdrix
11th May 2011, 12:11 PM
I prefer to use bulky offense. Things like Gliscor is a bulky pokemon, but at the same time it can just run a pure offense game with SD and still have the bulk to take a hit or two in the process. Although I didn't see any item usage stats in the thread I'd be interested to know how many people ran a CB Ferrothorn, no doubt a minority, but still.

It actually surprises me how low Chansey is though given everyone was raving about how eviolite would break it.
58 | Chansey | 18626 | 3.1080

Interesting list!

Bronzong#1
11th May 2011, 12:23 PM
I totally think it should be mixed because it seams like no special attacker canget past a evolite chansey or porygon 2. Long live stall.