PDA

View Full Version : My 4th gen OU team. Please rate!

365pokemon
12th May 2011, 1:31 AM
Could some people with some experience in competitive battling give me some advice on my 4th gen OU team? Here it is:

Gengar@Levitate /w/Life Orb
Nature:Timid
EV's: 252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 Def

- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Explosion/Hidden Power Fire

Standard life orb gengar. Thanks to GarchompMaster29 for suggesting this. This serves the same purpose as my azelf, but with much better type coverage. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast means nothing can resist, and t bolt covers gyarados. Explosion is there for special walls, although this can also be replaced by HP fire.

Breloom@Poison Heal /w/ Toxic Orb
Nature: Adamant
EV’s: 252 Atk, 244 Spe, 12 Hp

-Spore
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Seed Bomb/Stone Edge

The standard smogon breloom. I hate to use him, he’s such a troll, but he’s still so good, and there’s not much that can replace him. This is basically what I switch in on walls put something to sleep, then get off a sub, and hit something hard. He always manages to get something done. I won’t go into the moveset because you know how it works. A good baton pass receiver from gliscor if he hasn’t put something to sleep already.

Heatran@Flash Fire /w/Life Orb
Nature: Modest
EV’s: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp

- Explosion
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earth Power

One of my best options to receive a baton pass from gliscor. I love bluffing the choice scarf and then nailing the pokemon that comes in with a life orb boosted attack (of course I can't bluff after my first attack, though). And with plus two speed, this guy can SWEEP. The set is standard smogon, so I won’t go into it. Although this makes two pokes that are special attackers, breloom has great synergy with gengar and him, and if switched in properly, can put something to sleep and then put damage on something else. He also lets me take fire attacks aimed at breloom. Now that I have labeled the basic sweepers, it’s time to get into support.

Gliscor@Hyper Cutter /w/Lum Berry
Nature: Timid
EV’s: 252 Hp, 196 Spd, 60 Spe

- Rock Polish
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Roost/Taunt
My version of smogon’s Baton Pass gliscor. Rock Polish is standard, but Swords Dance isn’t necessary since my only physical attacker is breloom, and gengar and heatran (and sometimes even cress) are all specially based. I run substitute to see what kind of attack my opponent wants to use, as well as saving my lum berry. I don’t run yache because after seeing the ice attack, I can BP out to heatran to resist. I run roost just in case my BP receiver is forced out, and I want to BP again, although taunt is also very viable as this allows me to not get screwed by opposing taunts.

Vaporeon@Water Absorb /w/ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV’s: 248 Hp, 224 Def, 26 Spd

- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Hidden Power Electric
- Surf

My water absorber for gliscor and heatran, as well as a great switch in on heatran that comes in on azelf, as well as being my only poke weak to toxic spikes and second to spikes (this is why there’s no rapid spinning). It’s almost standard, with a few tweaks. HP electric is my only way to handle gyarados, unless I want to bluff Charge Beam with cress. Surf is STAB. Wish is also standard. Heal bell is over protect because lots of my stuff gets screwed by T wave and Will O Wisp. I’m thinking of using swampert over this for physical coverage, but then I lose heal bell and a check to gyarados, aside from gengar.

Cresselia@Levitate /w/ leftovers
EV’s: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 Spa

- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Moonlight

With base 120 defense and 130 sp defense, cress is this team’s main tank. I run a mix between a tank/calm mind set, which works very effectively. I usually use vaporeon as my tank for the beginning to scout, and once I know there team, I can send in cress and start setting up if it is appropriate. This means there are two psychic types on this team unfortunately, which means I need coverage for ghosts (only a little, as psychic hits ghosts as well), bug (I mainly use heatran on stuff like scizor that switch in), and dark, usually covered by breloom, unless a fire punch tyranitar comes in.

FAQ

Q: No priority?
A: Priority is not a necessity, and I can usually do well without it.

Q: Why not suicune over vaporeon if you want a bulky water?
A: For the same reason that I don’t run swampert. I want an effective heal beller.

Q: Only one physical attacker?
A: Breloom actually, if brought in correctly serves as an amazing physical attacker. I can bring it in on most special tanks, as well as some physical ones, for example blissey, swampert, or umbreon all give me opportunities to get a sub up.

Q: No entry hazards?
A: I typically don’t need them, but I can run them on azelf if I have to.

(I’ll add more to this if more questions are asked)

Checks to be dealt with:

Tyranitar: Without fire punch, send in breloom. With fire punch, send in heatran. With fire punch and a
dragon dance used… ouch

Zapdos: This guy is usually a pain to take out, as toxic cripples cress, and heat wave takes down loom. I usually send in gliscor to get a sub on the predicted toxic, then rock polish on the switch, and then BP.

Suicune: Usually not a problem, I just send in loom. However, if suicune is faster than loom (which happened when I battled this one guy with a ridiculous EV spread) I get swept. Good thing almost nobody runs that kind of spread.

Dusknoir: This guy is a problem simply because of his large defenses and will o wisp. I can usually handle him, he’s just the kind of poke that always makes me groan.

Rotom w and h: Ditto above.

Please give me your feedback!!!

TheAwesomeOne
12th May 2011, 5:17 PM
Azelf@Focus Sash
Naive
4 Att, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Psychic
-Stealth Rocks
-Explosion

Only one use for an Azelf lead.

Seed Bomb+Jolly on Breloom.

Timid, and maybe Explosion somewhere on there. HP Ice has been more useful than Dragon Pulse for me, so maybe HP Ice and Explosion.

Earthquake or U-Turn will be useful on this set to do damage.

Doesn't Cresslia get Heal Bell and Recover?

garchompmaster29
13th May 2011, 12:18 AM
azelf that awsome descirbed except that YOU MUST HAVE TAUNT. otherwise, you are better off with gengar if you are running an offensive lead.

also, i would run a cscarf heatran or a life orb one over expert belt. This is for the simple reason that people almost always switch when they see tran, and thus the expert belt boost will be rare.

i am curious why you don't have protect on a wishporeon.

you cannot switch breloom into blissey becuase you will most likely get twaved and your torb won't be able to activate. and once breloom is gone, blissey will destroy your entire team. against cress, it can toxic it and you will be screwed.

other than that thought, it is a pretty good team

Cobalt2
13th May 2011, 12:37 AM
did you just copy that from smogon? it's basically good except only one physical attacker... some balance would be nice..,

365pokemon
13th May 2011, 12:05 PM
Thank you for all the feedback. Any more is always welcome. I will change the team based on the decisions that I felt would work.

365pokemon
13th May 2011, 12:13 PM
All emboldened entries are entries that you selected.

TheAwesomeOne
13th May 2011, 5:24 PM
The Life Orb won't surprise people that think it is a Choice Scarfed ine.
But it is still better,

Regarde
13th May 2011, 9:24 PM
ok let's see what we can do here. first of all there's no reason to use that Gengar over icy wind lead set which is actually a decent anti-lead. run this set

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Icy Wind / Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Counter

this set is a much better lead and matches up favorably with most common leads. now both your gliscor set and that cresselia are doing nothing for the team. nothing on your team other than Heatran is making use of the rock polish boost, and you could easily replace it with something more useful. cresselia is similar. cresselia sucks in a metagame dominated by scizor tyranitar and heatran and your set can get past any of them. ok so lets use those slots to patch up some of your weaknesses. offensive waters in general are annoying. things such as suicune and starmie will be very hard for you to beat. kingdra makes a good switchin to the aforementioned threats and provides your team with some setup presence that gliscor gave. chesto rest kingdra sets up on starmie and suicune likes it's nothing.

Kingdra @ Chesto Berry
Adamant | 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe
Dragon Dance / Waterfall / Outrage / Rest

i'd try running a scarf rotom-h over cresselia as a general revenge killer since it checks things like dragonite and lucario that can run through your team with ease. run an offensive scarf rotom-h with Overheat / Hidden Power Ice / Thunderbolt / Trick. and finally I just have a couple nitpicks. stealth rock is too good not to run so run it over hp ice on heatran. hp ice has limited use anyway. run protect > heal bell on vaporeon too. protect makes it a much more efficient wish passer and keeps it alive a lot better. heal bell isn't really necessary when breloom can come in on status with impunity and heatran can take toxic and will-o-wisps. in short

icy wind gar > lo gar
kingdra > gliscor
rotom-h > cresselia
stealth rock on tran
protect on vaporeon

gl!

365pokemon
15th May 2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I unfortunately haven't had much time to test out your suggestions, but I'll post them when I get to try them out.

Darkerones
22nd May 2011, 5:50 PM
I never felt that Gliscor is a very good baton passer,I would try ninjask instead. He needs a bit more team support but is much more effective if you want those speed boosts on Heatran. Also,Theres a reason nobody really uses Cresselia in OU,their names are Tyranitar and Gengar. I Suggest this:

Machamp@Leftovers
No guard
252 attack, 196 special defense ,62 defense
Adamant/Impish

Bulk up
Stone edge
Payback
Dynamic punch

if youre paranoid about double typing Sleep powder Venusaur is a decent substitute for Loom and is something less predictable.

Silver Owns
28th May 2011, 8:10 PM
Could some people with some experience in competitive battling give me some advice on my 4th gen OU team? Here it is:

Gengar@Levitate /w/Life Orb
Nature:Timid
EV's: 252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 Def

- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Explosion/Hidden Power Fire

Standard life orb gengar. Thanks to GarchompMaster29 for suggesting this. This serves the same purpose as my azelf, but with much better type coverage. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast means nothing can resist, and t bolt covers gyarados. Explosion is there for special walls, although this can also be replaced by HP fire.

[B]good.

Breloom@Poison Heal /w/ Toxic Orb
Nature: Adamant
EVís: 252 Atk, 244 Spe, 12 Hp

-Spore
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Leech Seed

The standard smogon breloom. I hate to use him, heís such a troll, but heís still so good, and thereís not much that can replace him. This is basically what I switch in on walls put something to sleep, then get off a sub, and hit something hard. He always manages to get something done. I wonít go into the moveset because you know how it works. A good baton pass receiver from gliscor if he hasnít put something to sleep already.

Heatran@Flash Fire /w/Life Orb
Nature: Modest
EVís: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp

- Explosion
- Lava Plume/Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power

One of my best options to receive a baton pass from gliscor. I love bluffing the choice scarf and then nailing the pokemon that comes in with a life orb boosted attack (of course I can't bluff after my first attack, though). And with plus two speed, this guy can SWEEP. The set is standard smogon, so I wonít go into it. Although this makes two pokes that are special attackers, breloom has great synergy with gengar and him, and if switched in properly, can put something to sleep and then put damage on something else. He also lets me take fire attacks aimed at breloom. Now that I have labeled the basic sweepers, itís time to get into support.

Gliscor@Hyper Cutter /w/Lum Berry
Nature: Timid
EVís: 252 Hp, 196 Spd, 60 Spe

- Rock Polish
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Roost/Taunt
My version of smogonís Baton Pass gliscor. Rock Polish is standard, but Swords Dance isnít necessary since my only physical attacker is breloom, and gengar and heatran (and sometimes even cress) are all specially based. I run substitute to see what kind of attack my opponent wants to use, as well as saving my lum berry. I donít run yache because after seeing the ice attack, I can BP out to heatran to resist. I run roost just in case my BP receiver is forced out, and I want to BP again, although taunt is also very viable as this allows me to not get screwed by opposing taunts.

Vaporeon@Water Absorb /w/ Leftovers
EVís: 248 Hp, 224 Def, 26 Spd

- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Hidden Power Electric
- Surf

My water absorber for gliscor and heatran, as well as a great switch in on heatran that comes in on azelf, as well as being my only poke weak to toxic spikes and second to spikes (this is why thereís no rapid spinning). Itís almost standard, with a few tweaks. HP electric is my only way to handle gyarados, unless I want to bluff Charge Beam with cress. Surf is STAB. Wish is also standard. Heal bell is over protect because lots of my stuff gets screwed by T wave and Will O Wisp. Iím thinking of using swampert over this for physical coverage, but then I lose heal bell and a check to gyarados, aside from gengar.

Cresselia@Levitate /w/ leftovers
EVís: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 Spa

- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Moonlight

With base 120 defense and 130 sp defense, cress is this teamís main tank. I run a mix between a tank/calm mind set, which works very effectively. I usually use vaporeon as my tank for the beginning to scout, and once I know there team, I can send in cress and start setting up if it is appropriate. This means there are two psychic types on this team unfortunately, which means I need coverage for ghosts (only a little, as psychic hits ghosts as well), bug (I mainly use heatran on stuff like scizor that switch in), and dark, usually covered by breloom, unless a fire punch tyranitar comes in.

FAQ

Q: No priority?
A: Priority is not a necessity, and I can usually do well without it.

Q: Why not suicune over vaporeon if you want a bulky water?
A: For the same reason that I donít run swampert. I want an effective heal beller.

Q: Only one physical attacker?
A: Breloom actually, if brought in correctly serves as an amazing physical attacker. I can bring it in on most special tanks, as well as some physical ones, for example blissey, swampert, or umbreon all give me opportunities to get a sub up.

Q: No entry hazards?
A: I typically donít need them, but I can run them on azelf if I have to.

(Iíll add more to this if more questions are asked)

Checks to be dealt with:

Tyranitar: Without fire punch, send in breloom. With fire punch, send in heatran. With fire punch and a
dragon dance usedÖ ouch

Zapdos: This guy is usually a pain to take out, as toxic cripples cress, and heat wave takes down loom. I usually send in gliscor to get a sub on the predicted toxic, then rock polish on the switch, and then BP.

Suicune: Usually not a problem, I just send in loom. However, if suicune is faster than loom (which happened when I battled this one guy with a ridiculous EV spread) I get swept. Good thing almost nobody runs that kind of spread.

Dusknoir: This guy is a problem simply because of his large defenses and will o wisp. I can usually handle him, heís just the kind of poke that always makes me groan.

Rotom w and h: Ditto above.

Please give me your feedback!!!

just leech seed on breloom is another option, and fire blast/flamethrow..accuracy over power..the debate lives on