PDA

View Full Version : rocks or spikes

murkrowsabeast
14th May 2011, 2:03 AM
Entry hazards have been a big part of the game since their release. in the previous generation 4 stealth rock was much more popular than spikes but with the shift in the metagame i feel spikes has a bigger impact in geration 5
What do you prefer stealth rock or spikes?

Blue Harvest
14th May 2011, 5:22 AM
It takes only one turn to use Stealth Rock and FAR more Pokemon can use the move. It takes several turns to get anything out of Spikes besides minor damage.

Stealth Rocks is the better move overall but defensive teams that can manage to lay full layers and keep the game going for several turns can make use of Spikes.

Toxic Spikes hits 47% of OU right now and the only poison types are Tentacruel / Venusaur / Toxicroak, and only Tentacruel is common enough to really worry about.

Excitable Boy
14th May 2011, 10:59 AM
Who says you have to choose...?

V4LOVER
14th May 2011, 11:37 AM
Who says you have to choose...?
Well if you need entry hazard support on your team, you do have to choose.

Excitable Boy
14th May 2011, 11:42 AM
Well if you need entry hazard support on your team, you do have to choose.

Who says you can't run both?

TerraWolf
14th May 2011, 11:46 AM
Who says you can't run both?

The need to find 2 pokémon that don't die to Fire Blast to set it up

Excitable Boy
14th May 2011, 11:48 AM
The need to find 2 pokémon that don't die to Fire Blast to set it up

Azelf and Tentacruel.

What was so hard about that?

Tbird
14th May 2011, 12:41 PM
Regardless of if you're running both, priority should always be put on Stealth Rock, as it hits everything. It's also much easier to get Stealth Rocks out than spikes, as with the fast and powerful metagame, you can't just sit your pokemon in there spiking for too long. The best spiker is still Skarmory though, and can usually find turns enough in the match to get at least 2 layers out.

So, with better distribution, ease to set up, and the fact it hits everything I'd say the Stealth rocks are better.

PokeMEN
14th May 2011, 12:54 PM
I usually choose stealth rocks over spikes

DarkMarowak
14th May 2011, 1:35 PM
Stealth Rock has brought me many a victory lol.

kaiser soze
14th May 2011, 2:01 PM
I think SR should have been like spikes, as in you need layers for more damage. being able to use it once and get 50% damage is a little ridiculous. It could hit double for flyers though because they are immune to spikes. But SR is still overpowered, een if they took away the TM

123fakestreet
14th May 2011, 2:43 PM
Stealth rocks is better for fast faced teams who do not have the time to sit there and set up some spikes alongside the stealth rocks. Teams can have just spikes as an entry hazard but it would be ill advised due to the low damage before a full setup and the fact they can't hit levitators or flyers. On more balanced teams both can be used to allow a sweeper (Scarfchomp) to sweep an oponents team without the need of any boosts.

BLABO
14th May 2011, 2:44 PM
rocks are better if you can only choose one. but both combined is better (thats what i think)

Zachmac
14th May 2011, 3:54 PM
In 3vs3, never use either, not enough time.

In 6vs6, use rocks. If you are using a stall team, do both rocks and spikes. Actually, and do both, but SR is easier and more convenient.

I actually hate stealth rock's existence, but since it exist, why not use it?

chanseychansey77
14th May 2011, 5:00 PM
If you just need to get some quick damage on your opponent so that you can make a clean sweep, Stealth Rock is better. But if you have a phaser and a killer stall team, all three work well.

DasBoot
14th May 2011, 5:22 PM
I prefer Stealth Rock to Spikes just because they can hit flying types and they are a quick setup, but Spikes is better for stalling teams.

jesusfreak94
14th May 2011, 5:34 PM
Stealth Rock is usually prefered for its ease of use. To get the max value out of Stealth Rock, you only use up one turn. Spikes, on the other hand, takes two turns just to get to the average damage of Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is also instrumental in keeping Pokemon like Dragonite, Salamence, Gyarados, and Chandelure in check.

Of course, it all kind of depends on the team. Stealth Rock is usually the priority on offensive teams, although having both is nice. On defensive teams, there are a few Pokemon (looking at you, Ferrothorn) that have little trouble getting up 2-3 layers of Spikes. This will allow you to do more phazing damage to Pokemon like Garchomp, and many other grounded Pokemon if you can get full Spikes. Toxic Spikes are also extremely important.

garchompmaster29
14th May 2011, 6:52 PM
even thogh SR is better, the metagame did shift. peeps run pokes that resist sr more and more. thus spikes can be better in some situations.

Zachmac
14th May 2011, 7:06 PM
even thogh SR is better, the metagame did shift. peeps run pokes that resist sr more and more. thus spikes can be better in some situations.Chandalure, Volcarona, Victini, Darmanitan, Archeons, Galvantula, Mandibuzz, Kyurem, Thunderus, Turnadus, and Braviary. Yep, less and less pokemon weak to SR.

Blue Monarch
14th May 2011, 7:23 PM
Let's look at the advantages and disadvantages of both:

Stealth Rocks
Advantages:
- Takes one turn to set up
- Is more widespread than Spikes; a lot of Pokemon can learn it
- It affects EVERY Pokemon except Pokemon with Magic Guard
- Works on type advantage/disadvantage, being able to deal up to 50% to some Pokemon
Disadvantages:
- Type advantage/disadvantage can work like a double-edged sword: it can deal 3.125% to things with 4x resistance to Rock like Excadrill or Lucario. Nonetheless, the extra damage CAN help

Spikes
Advantages:
- Can deal up to 25% damage to grounded targets, which can help win the game. Spikes are deadly and generic tanks will hate taking a lot of damage every time it switches in. Type advantage does not count here, meaning Excadrill or Lucario can take up to 25% from it.
Disadvantages:
- It takes 3 turns to unleash its full potential of 25%; it takes only one turn to blow it all away with a Rapid Spin. 1st Spike layer = 12.5%, 2nd Spike layer = 18.75%
- Has less users than Stealth Rocks; some of them are fragile enough to be relegated to lead role and once they are down, they are down, and some spinner comes, all of that is gone
- Only affects Grounded targets; Flying targets or Levitating Pokemon are NOT affected. And neither are Magic Guard users. However, this can all change with Gravity or Tricking Iron Ball to the flying target, etc. And no, it won't work against Magic Guard users.

Overall, Stealth Rocks is better using since its pros outweigh the cons. But if you CAN use Spikes in conjunction with Stealth Rocks, do so. Spikes are very helpful and brings down the many tanks that resist Rock easily, especially if they're things without a reliable recovery move like Swampert.

Mister_SGG
14th May 2011, 7:27 PM
Stealth Rock is way worse to be on the wrong side of, and a lot of Pokemon can learn it.

garchompmaster29
16th May 2011, 2:25 AM
Chandalure, Volcarona, Victini, Darmanitan, Archeons, Galvantula, Mandibuzz, Kyurem, Thunderus, Turnadus, and Braviary. Yep, less and less pokemon weak to SR.

i didn't say that there aren't ou pokes that are weak to SR. i said that there are a lot off peeps running pokes that resist it. ttar, exadrill, ferrathorn, lucario (yes peeps still run him), hippowdon, and kojondo,

Loreni333
16th May 2011, 2:35 AM
Overall... Toxic spikes is best.

jesusfreak94
16th May 2011, 2:45 AM
i didn't say that there aren't ou pokes that are weak to SR. i said that there are a lot off peeps running pokes that resist it. ttar, exadrill, ferrathorn, lucario (yes peeps still run him), hippowdon, and kojondo,

Tyranitar is neutral to Stealth Rocks.

legendarypokemonmaster
16th May 2011, 3:35 AM
Rocks, spikes hurt more when you step on them.

RifleAvenger
16th May 2011, 4:19 AM
I like spikes, because one of my favorite pokemon is a spiker on my team.

However, wins have escaped me based on my having spikes, but not rocks, set down. Rocks are still, by far, the better hazard by virtue that they hit everything except magic gaurd pokemon. Even if the pokemon switching in takes only 3.125% damage from the rocks, it still breaks sashes and sturdy.

Bobmonkey07
16th May 2011, 5:25 AM
SR since by being able to hit everything, it breaks sturdy/multiscale.

cookies kill you
16th May 2011, 5:34 AM
stealth rocks is the reason i dont use my volcarona anymore xD imo i just think its far better even though toxic spikes is always good and annoying to

Venomfang
16th May 2011, 5:41 AM
Stelth rocks is better

Clubinhand
16th May 2011, 6:43 AM
SR is busted so you gotta use it.