PDA

View Full Version : Iris and Excadrill Against the Dragon Buster! (695)

Serebii
26th May 2011, 10:47 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/695.jpgThe Dragon Buster Appears! Iris & Excadrill!!

Heading to Nimbasa City, Ash & Co. are confronted by a girl who claims she is the Dragon Buster and wants to challenge Iris. Iris accepts this challenge but faces a strong challenge when she has to use her Excadrill in the battle. Will Iris be able to make Excadrill listen enough to try and defeat the trainer's Beartic?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/bestwishes/695.shtml)

Discuss

Dreamcoat
26th May 2011, 12:03 PM
- Battle starts almost immediately, great!
- Lawl, Axew Vs. Beartic? GREAT MOVE IRIS XD
- Aaaand of course Axew is destroyed by Beartic's Ice Beam.
- Langley gloats a bit, Iris goes "O RLY?1" and continues the battle with Excadrill.
- Bear punch to the gut, and down goes Excadrill!
- Awww, Iris is all sad face.
- OMG FLASHBACK TIME! EXCADRILL AS A DRILBUR!
- Drilbur used Metal Claw. It's super effective, Iris fainted!
- Aww, she saves it from falling and they become friends.
- Moar flazbakz! Drilbur battling 651657561564 PKMN and evolving.
- Iris & Excadril Vs. Drayden & Haxorus! Haxorus couldn't care less, and Excadril goes down after 3 hits.
- Awwww, Excadril seems sadface that it let Iris down and lost a battle :'-(
- SUPER SECRET MIDNIGHT EXTRA GETTING STRONG TRAINING!!
- The food is gone! All thanks to Langley!
- REMATCH TIME!
- Excadril faints but manages to take down Beartic at the same time.
- Iris is all "You don't HAVE to win each time, you're great no matter what!!" and Excadril is all" EXCADRIL!!!" and they both hug and make up. AWWWWWW, ALL MUSHY AND STUFF!

Pepsi_Plunge
26th May 2011, 12:05 PM
Poor Kibago he actually endured attacks so the thing is getting stronger :P, sad seeing it get trashed.

Dreamcoat Emolga would just run and Excadrill doesn't give a **** XD.

Damn Excadrill is a badass, he was putting it on Beartic but got smashed by a fightning attack I believe, stream cut on the attack.

playerking
26th May 2011, 12:08 PM
So that ice breath looking attack was icicle crash, thought so.

Iris Flashback Time!

Pepsi_Plunge
26th May 2011, 12:10 PM
Damn Drillbur was dstrong beating Fraxure an Druidigons and other strong pokemons, loving the flashback.

Hum Shaga isn't Iris gramps in the anime? Oo she seems to not even know him, she was like Shaga? and the other guy explained her who he was.

playerking
26th May 2011, 12:14 PM
Haxorus versus Excadrill.

And I'm guess Excadrill will lose.

Serebii
26th May 2011, 12:15 PM
Damn Drillbur was dstrong beating Fraxure an Druidigons and other strong pokemons, loving the flashback.

Hum Shaga isn't Iris gramps in the anime? Oo she seems to not even know him, she was like Shaga? and the other guy explained her who he was.
Iris and Drayden were never meant to be related

Pepsi_Plunge
26th May 2011, 12:16 PM
Iris and Drayden were never meant to be related

How so? if they are ingame? I haven't heard anything from the anime directors saying they wouldn't make him her gramps, you mean they weren't meant to be family ingames either?

Anyway Haxorus destroyed Excadrill pretty bad and he seems frustrated.

Serebii
26th May 2011, 12:23 PM
They aren't related in-game either

Chimchar15
26th May 2011, 12:24 PM
How so? if they are ingame? I haven't heard anything from the anime directors saying they wouldn't make him her gramps, you mean they weren't meant to be family ingames either?

Anyway Haxorus destroyed Excadrill pretty bad and he seems frustrated.

They were never related even in the games. Anyways that was a pretty awesome battle. Hah and another hah to all those who thought Iris and Dento for that matter wouldn't get good development. So far this trio has been balanced pretty well.

Pepsi_Plunge
26th May 2011, 12:28 PM
They aren't related in-game either

Woot? I'm confused now everyone says he is her gramps, weird and I actually though I read that ingame.

Episode ended best Iris episode yet, Excadrill wasn't just disobeying her, he felt frustrated since he lost that is way he wasn't obeying.

Iris sleeps with it and talks with it, it leaves middle night and goes to train to learn a new attack which seems to be Metal Burst I think by the animation.

Rematch is freaking awesome and epic, Beartic and Excadrill end up tie and Iris goes to him and seems to encourage it along with Dent, Pikachu and Satoshi and he seems happy and hugs Iris.

Damn what a nice episode, the flashback was nice, the reason why it was disobeing was diferent aka it basicly wasn't disobeying it was just frustrated and only did something when it really had to defend itself like in the Scolipede episode, so the issue being resolved in one episode is understandable.

Great episode in all aspects, Beartic and Excadrill were super badass oh and Langley seemed to be a sore loser whining that Iris didnt beat her with Dragon type I believe.

thesmilewolfy
26th May 2011, 12:32 PM
any1 know why excadrill disobeys iris? Is it because its sad it failed her and is too scared to fail her again?
Edit: nvm, what a unique way for it to disobey

sunyshore.com
26th May 2011, 12:32 PM
he just seemed grandfatherly was all, so folks went with it.

RE: the ep.... what is with pokemon and characters/rivals whose entire personality is to obsessively hate on something/someone and act like complete dicks? i don't even find it entertaining. it's just annoying. why is this allowed to happen?

i hated that character. i hope she never comes back. she eats three people's breakfasts and just walks off and they just stand there. this is not how things work! dento and ash should hold her arms while iris swings from a vine and kicks her repeatedly in the stomach until she vomits blood. that's my ending. :D

weaviledarkrai
26th May 2011, 12:37 PM

RE: the ep.... what is with pokemon and characters/rivals whose entire personality is to obsessively hate on something/someone and act like complete dicks? i don't even find it entertaining. it's just annoying. why is this allowed to happen?

i hated that character. i hope she never comes back. she eats three people's breakfasts and just walks off and they just stand there. this is not how things work! dento and ash should hold her arms while iris swings from a vine and kicks her repeatedly in the stomach until she vomits blood. that's my ending. :D
I really like that :D

Pepsi_Plunge
26th May 2011, 12:48 PM

Oh so that is why? weird lol.

I really didn't like her too much either, when she reappears we might get to know more about her since Iris issue is resolved now, she just seems ticked off all the time.

thesmilewolfy I just think it was frustrated from losing badly to Haxorus but since I don't know japanese I can't really be sure of it.

sunny love the picture in you signature, pure win XD.

playerking
26th May 2011, 12:52 PM
Excadrill development and it obeyed Iris in one episode, greeeaatt. BW just keeps getting better, doesn't it. At least it seemed like a nice episode after all.

3 questions.

Did Langley know Iris, if so, how?

Why did Excadrill disobey Iris in the first place?

Is Langley now Iris's rival, because the same thing that told us about Ash getting a new Pokemon in the upcoming episode, said that Iris gets a Rival.

Pepsi_Plunge
26th May 2011, 12:56 PM
1- I think she didn't, I didn't catch the start of the episode, I started watching when the opening ended.

2- Like I said I think it was just frustrated not actually disobeying her, but he didn't come out , out of frustration but if sunny or Sushi or whoever else can watch the episode and explain that to us it would be cool.

3- Most likelly she seems to be kind of hatefull and I think she will want to beat Iris again, plus I think she bragged that Iris didn't do it with a Dragon type so I can see Axew evolving and beating her later in the arc, not a fan of her atitude like sunny said but I hope we got some developments on that later on.

Somorio
26th May 2011, 2:16 PM
I really don't mind Excadrill being obedient in one episode since now we can actually see more of it finally. Also, I'm kinda glad Excadrill isn't treated as an invincible force, just a strong one, I was kinda worried that it would for some reason.

sunyshore.com
26th May 2011, 2:52 PM
Did Langley know Iris, if so, how?

Why did Excadrill disobey Iris in the first place?

Is Langley now Iris's rival, because the same thing that told us about Ash getting a new Pokemon in the upcoming episode, said that Iris gets a Rival.

1. She knew OF her. She said "You're Iris right? I've been looking for you." Iris didn't question this. None of them questioned ANY of the girl's really stupid behaviour, which drove me nuts. Ash and Dento were like vegetables.

2. This was a bit confusing to me, but it seems Excadrill's bad loss against Shaga was because of a bad call by Iris. Excadrill indicated to her it was a bad call but she made him do it anyway and he lost. This is why he went into his shell, he couldn't handle the loss after they'd won something like 100 times in a row. This is why he would not come out, listen to Iris, obey her commands, etc etc. He felt like she built him up and told him he could do anything and win all the time and then sabotaged him.

Is what I think was going on. Iris began crying and apologizing because she realized with Dento's advice she never bothered understanding how sabotaged Excadrill felt, that it was her own fault, he wasn't just sad he lost, he blamed her for not listening to him.

3. Probably. I want her to just be gone forever though. So annoying. XD

Wadeledge
26th May 2011, 3:30 PM
Drayden doesn't have a mouth then? Just an Optimus Prime mouth guard!

Almighty Zard
26th May 2011, 3:36 PM
I figured she had to have gotten Excadrill as a Drillbur cause there was no way she would've had a powerful pokemon for no reason.

Beartic seems kinda odd looking to me in the anime cool yet strange at the same time.

A nice development episode for Iris, now she can sit back again for a while.

jscholfield
26th May 2011, 3:42 PM
serebii i was checking iris bio and it say that iris is related to drayden could you fix it
http://www.serebii.net/anime/characters/iris.shtml

Caseydia
26th May 2011, 3:44 PM
People need to stop hating on Langley. If she didn't come along, Iris would have never got Excadrill or her other Pokemon out to battle. And no one ever comes to Ash's defense whenever he, May or Dawn comes up against their mean yet some what annoying rivals. So let Iris handle her own for once.

Almighty Zard
26th May 2011, 3:48 PM
People need to stop hating on Langley. If she didn't come along, Iris would have never got Excadrill or her other Pokemon out to battle. And no one ever comes to Ash's defense whenever he, May or Dawn comes up against their mean yet some what annoying rivals. So let Iris handle her own for once.

I'm not hating on her, I thought the battles were good.

Beartic doesn't exactly strike me as an Ash pokemon though, if he got one i'd bet money it would conflict with excadrill which lead to problems between him and iris.

sunyshore.com
26th May 2011, 4:19 PM

i'll gladly dislike any of this show's rivals/CoTD's whose entire personalities revolve around being utterly dis-likable, hateful or obnoxious :P

the girl didn't have to be a dragon-type racist and a rude, theiving glutton in order for those battles to happen. it wasn't the girl being a completely over the top ******* that did the trick, it was the move-- what was it? rock smash? i don't remember, rock something -- that had defeated excadrill before and then did it again, meaning he had to learn something new to overcome it.

we have rivals like jun, who can be really arrogant and obnoxious but also really funny, endearing and a great friend and supporter to ash, all at once. even shooti isn't a complete jerk, and has his nice little side story (that boy is going to be so shocked when he finds out he totally misinterpreted adeku's advice...).

characters whose personality is "this person defeated me once so my entire life now revolves around hating him" (cabernet and dento) or "a dragon master from ryuu no sato once beat me so now i am a dragon-type racist and my entire life is dedicated to being a really, really big jerk to all dragon-type owners, and stealing and eating three people's breakfasts"... i just don't understand it, and it's so over the top, it's not entertaining at all, it's just stupid and annoying.

so yeah i am going to hate on characters that are really stupid and annoying :P

gliscor&yanmega
26th May 2011, 4:23 PM
Got confused at one point. I thought when Iris and Excadrill were training it was a flashback...then Ash and Cilan came in lol.

Wasn't expecting Excadrill to be 100% obedient, only thought it would begin to listen but still have moments where it ignores Iris. Nevertheless, I don't mind this. Excadrill seems much more friendly now.

So what was Excadrill's problem the whole time? It felt like it let Iris down and thought she was disappointed in it? I guess Iris thought the opposite with feeling she let Excadrill down. Sounded like Cilan figured it out for her...he said something and when he speaks it's always important stuff.

Ash took the back seat, didn't really do anything at all. I don't even think he had any comedic moments. Oh well, it was for Iris so it's all good.

Langley is just as I pictured her, design wise and personality wise.

I knew the battle between Beartic and Excadrill would end in a tie, just gives Langley more of a reason to come back to battle again. Clearly she's Iris' rival.

Drilbur debuted in this episode. Iris joins the group of people who caught a Pokemon without a Pokemon, although I don't remember seeing her have Drilbur or Excadrill in a Pokeball in the flashbacks.

The episode didn't have much comedy in it, just a few moments of Langley and Iris trash talking each other and some Iris fails at catching Drilbur, other then that nothing really funny. I like Pokemon comedy, although I'm glad it wasn't present a lot in this episode, doesn't really fit into the plot of the episode.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I enjoy Iris a bit more now, and I'm glad to see more from Excadrill.

EDIT: Forgot about Drayden. Not sure what he said, but he seems like a pretty nice guy. Not sure if he was mentioned to be the Gym leader. His Haxorus is pretty strong, nice to see one in action.

Also, forgot about Beartic, seems pretty cool. Doesn't seem to be like it's trainer though, it looks like a pretty calm cool Pokemon, kind of fitting for an Ice type...not so much for a Polar Bear though. It's interesting I find.

Geodude
26th May 2011, 4:37 PM
So what was Excadrill's problem the whole time? It felt like it let Iris down and thought she was disappointed in it? I guess Iris thought the opposite with feeling she let Excadrill down. Sounded like Cilan figured it out for her...he said something and when he speaks it's always important stuff.
Read the thread, it's been explained several times.

Platinum fan.
26th May 2011, 4:47 PM
And so now Iris's Excadrill has become a obedient Pokemon. If she was more battle oriented I would say she's going to be a beast in future battles, but who knows when she'll ever battle again? Speaking of the battle, I really liked that brat Langley or whatever her name was. She was annoying, true, but she also seemed strong so I hope we see her again. Though I hope she battles someone else like Ash or Trip just to see how she measures up. Best of all she taught Ash and friends a lesson, never leave your breakfest laying out XD. I don't mind that Excadrill obeys Iris fully or at least it seems, not like she had a battle quest waiting for development so it doesn't matter. Also good to see more of Iris's past. She might not be a major battler in the series but Iris is without a doubt getting developed and I think I finally really and truly care for her character now.

Overall a good episode. I liked Langley the Beartic using, breakfest eating, brat! And Iris's development is really shaping up quite nicely. We need more episodes like this.

Mr.Munchlax
26th May 2011, 5:11 PM
I'm ok with Excadrill obeying Iris because he was never really disobedient in the first place. Unlike Charizard & Mamoswine, Excadrill still loved Iris and was ashamed to show his face around her and whenever he was being disobedient, it was probably he thought he had to win at all costs and was blinded by shame & frustration. It was kind of like one of those fallen hero stories when you think about it. I now think Excadrill is one of the most noble pokemon I've ever seen

Also, I think Langley was just one of those characters who were created so people would love to hate them, like Gary or Harley

Blazicken
26th May 2011, 5:11 PM
excadrill rocks!
Have to say that haxorus was pretty darn powerfull, but it looks like drayden saw Iris as the potential next gym-leader. Hence she got the mission to raise Axes and become a dragon-master.
Though It looked like Axcadrill was trying to tell Iris that the move she kept commanding wasn't a good call
(realized it after the 1st attack), hence it got frustrated to lose so badly while being on a badass winning-streak since day 1.

PokemonOwn
26th May 2011, 5:20 PM
Personally, I think Excadrill was a nicer Pokemon than we thought. It was actually sorry, for what it did, and didn't want to show it's shame, and huddled into a Drill. It didn't want to make Iris unhappy.

Jash Thor
26th May 2011, 5:21 PM
characters whose personality is "this person defeated me once so my entire life now revolves around hating him" (cabernet and dento) or "a dragon master from ryuu no sato once beat me so now i am a dragon-type racist and my entire life is dedicated to being a really, really big jerk to all dragon-type owners, and stealing and eating three people's breakfasts"... i just don't understand it, and it's so over the top, it's not entertaining at all, it's just stupid and annoying.

They are stupid, they are annoying, but they're also real. Some people are plain inconsiderate. Kudos to the writers for willingly adding an unsympathetic character. By venting your frustration, you've played right into the anticipated reaction. You should be angry. I think we'd all be a little concerned if you liked her. So, I agree she's a detestable person, but that doesn't make her a detestable character. If anything, this gives you even more incentive to root for Iris in a future battle. Langley is mean and rude, and her inevitable comeuppance will be incredibly satisfying.

Also, Excadrill is just awesome. I'm excited we finally get to see him battle a little bit. I was really surprised by his personality. There was real pain behind his disobedience. Best Wishes continues to impress me. I hope we see a lot more of him in the near future.

Raichu:)
26th May 2011, 5:24 PM
awwww poor axew, he got beaten bad (can't help with his ice type fear)
drayden looks wierd, he has no mouth quite creepy.
i've decided cilan is like slim in of mice and men, what he says is true and can't be argued with. lol.
go excadrill, he is soooo cool now that he is bad *** n that he will participate in her battles, just emolga to become a proper non 'stick up the a***' pokemon

overall love it <3 best ep. yet for me

Haunter ゴースト
26th May 2011, 5:31 PM
This is definetely one of my favourite episodes so far mainly because Excadrill is a sick character.

Personally was quite dissapointed that the disobedience/ashamed Excadrill attitude is over already, hardly ever saw it really (4/5 episodes).

If they had made another episode much like 'The Bloom Is On Axew' and then have this episode resolve Excadrills attitude then i would of been more satisfyed.

Anyway it was interesting to see that Drilbur was Iris's first pokemon and they were best mates, shame Axew has taken the main pokemon placement in her team...

Now all I want to see is Ash's Charizard vs Iris's Excadrill Ahaa.

10/10.

Locormus
26th May 2011, 5:49 PM
Excadrill rocks!
Have to say that haxorus was pretty darn powerfull, but it looks like Drayden saw Iris as the potential next gym-leader. Hence she got the mission to raise Axew and become a dragon-master.

Though It looked like Excadrill was trying to tell Iris that the move she kept commanding wasn't a good call (realized it after the 1st attack), hence it got frustrated to lose so badly while being on a badass winning-streak since day 1.

I really have to agree to your first paragraph. The nod Drayden gave to the elder who was lurking in the tent was a big sign, also.. NO AXEW in the flashback.. Meaning that Drilbur was Iris' first pokemon, and then got Axew. Meaning we will be getting another flashback of Iris sometime in the future, probably when we'll get to Opelucid City when Iris and Drayden will have their rematch.

It wasn't necessarily the attack Iris kept commanding against Haxorus.. If I'm right, she ordered four different attacks: Metal Claw, Slash (or Fury Swipes), Dig and Drill Run..

It was Excadrill that thought that Iris had put him up against an opponent he couldn't possibly hope to win against, and that Iris did so because she thought that Excadrill was capable of doing so. Of course it lost, and got upset at Iris for not listening to him when it said to her that he couldn't beat Haxorus, right before Iris ordered Dig/Drill Run, and at the same time ashamed that it lost and betrayed Iris' trust in it..

Then when the sleeping scene happened Iris basically said something along the lines of: 'I don't care if you lose, we'll overcome it together.' Thus they start training to counter the move that caused it to lose twice: Rock Smash.. Funny though how such a weak move in game gets such focus in the animé.. Gible had it as well.. Weird..

They are stupid, they are annoying, but they're also real.

Real my butt.. Writers of kids shows don't put real characters in this show. They put over the top characters in this show because coarse characters are easy to understand for the little kids.

Take Dawn for instance: I loooooove cute little pokeymonz!
-> About halfway through the saga she gets one of the bigger pokemon: Mamoswine, and it immediatly becomes her problem. The little kids would go: 'oh well, that's understandable as she only likes little pokemon', when that's completely illogical when you think about it... But it makes sense for the little kids, hence Suny's frustration..

Juputoru
26th May 2011, 5:53 PM
-My computer is a useless piece of **** that crashed in the middle of writing this. You're getting jack **** for the first several minutes of the episode other than a basic summary, since I'm too pissed off to bother rewriting everything. There's nothing all that interesting in the first chunk of the episode anyway.
-Langely shows up immediately. Axew loses horribly to Beartic. Excadrill gets woken up by being attacked, and also loses. Iris goes into recap mode. Blah blah blah injured Patrat blah blah blah Drillbur hoarding berries blah blah.
-Little Iris fights Drillbur by herself. She tries four times, and gets beaten up four times. But on the fifth time...she blocks a Metal Claw! And then more stuff happens leading up to Drillbur getting strung up on some vines dangling over a cliff.
-Iris saves the day(or course), and...awww, Drillbur's so cute when it's embarassed.
-After that, Iris and Drillbur fought(and won!) a whole lot of battles. And then there was some sort of battle tournament. Drillbur fought a Crimgan, and...then it evolved! And won, of course.
-It's The Most Incredible Beard! ...I mean, Drayden. The anime handles his amazing beard by having no mouth be visible while he talks. (although you can see his beard move depending on the angle!)
-Iris challenges Drayden to a battle. This...isn't going to go well, is it?
-Drayden sends out Haxorus. This...really isn't going to go well.
-Yeah, it's not going well. One Dragon Tail to the face gives Excadrill a "oh god THIS WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA I AM GOING TO DIE" look. But Iris foolishly encourages it to go on anyway.
-That was quite a loss. Well, losing to someone much stronger than you seems to be a recurring lesson in this series and...oh wait, Excadrill isn't taking this very well.
-Dento immediately sees that Excadrill was kind of shocked at getting such a big loss right after evolving, and Iris demands more details. You...you seriously didn't figure this out before? Goddamn, Iris. It shouldn't take a Sommelier to figure that out! EDIT:Okay that's apparently not accurate, but I write these before even seeing the thread, so :p.
-Then we get another flashback where Iris did seem to blame herself? I don't even know what's going on here anymore. Wait, is this the present? I CAN'T TELL. Although after looking more closely, I think it is?
-Yeah, this is totally the present. I blame all that on the sudden cut to Iris tearfully going "IT'S ALL MY FAULT ISN'T IT" to Excadrill.
-Excadrill comes out of its shell and starts wandering off. Hmm...
-It went off to train a move all by itself! And...it's apparently trying to learn Focus Blast!
-Iris gets excited, and starts helping it train. Excadrill is totally going to start obeying this episode, isn't it?
-LANGLEY ATE THEIR BREAKFAST. ALL OF IT. THAT *****.
-Iris challenges Langley to another battle, and...she makes fun of Iris! THAT *****.
-The battle goes well for Iris. Excadrill even manages to break out of being frozen!
-Oh hey, I just noticed they're using Victory Is Right Before Your Eyes!(the "GL's last Pokemon music") as the BGM. Awesome!
-Oh no, Excadrill is down! ...but so is Beartic! It's a tie!
-Apparently leaving with some huffy words and a "bye" is Langley's thing.
-On Oak's Live caster, we get...Basculin?! I guess they showed up in the fishing episode we never got to see? This is almost as cruel as not getting to see any of the episode at all!

Overall, this was a pretty awesome episode. Heaping amounts of d'awww combined with heaping amounts of awesome can't really go wrong. I may also be biased since I really like the Drillbur line.

Ash6K
26th May 2011, 5:56 PM
I must say this episode is one of my favorites. I was very neutral towards Iris as a character but after this episode, I just love her story with Excadrill and their relationship. It was really nice to see all that background with her catching Drilbur and then its evolution and battle with Drayden's Haxorus. It was also touching how Excadrill still had love and care for his trainer and wasn't like any other disobedient pokemon in the past. I felt there was a bit more depth to its character and I liked that and it really worked well with this episode.

So glad to see Iris and Excadrill as a team. It's going to be awesome to see those two in more battles.

As for Langley, she is just such a...let's just say I wanna see her get crushed by Iris by the end of BW. She's definitely a character I would love to hate I guess you can say lol. Since Iris was able to battle with Excadrill and Axew against her, I'm assuming she's got more pokemon that we could see from her in the future (if she's not a COTD, hope she's not). I personally would love to see her with a female pokemon. Just so I can see a three way catfight between whatever pokemon she has with Emolga and Ash's Snivy. That'd be entertaining :D

Oh yeah, I forgot, Drayden's appearance was awesome too. Hmm, after Iris' battle with him, was the old lady that was shown the lady that gave Iris Axew? If so, hopefully that means Iris can sorta be like she is in the games and be somewhat of an apprentice to Drayden as a Dragon Master. And hopefully that also means Iris has a chance of battling Ash for the 8th badge. But I guess that's another subject for another thread lol.

Overall great episode! We get a possible Iris rival, Iris' backstory with Excadrill, character development, and more. I totally enjoyed watching this episode!

G50
26th May 2011, 6:25 PM
This episode was good. It was cool to see an Ononokusu again, this time in a flashback. It was cool to see Gym Leader Drayden for the 1st time. Ononokusu was very strong! It can use Reversal which is really powerful against Doryuuzu. It was cool to see Tsunbeaa for the 1st time. Tsunbeaa is strong, and can also use Rock Smash! It was cool to see Icicle Crash attack for the 1st time, very well animated. It was great to see the background of Iris as a young girl, with Doryuuzu back when he was only a Mogurew. Mogurew was 1 tough Pokemon, being a big bully and stealing Minezumi's nest. It was very funny when Iris was swinging from a vine and kept trying to attack Mougrew, but kept getting knocked out over and over. Eventually Iris was able to succeed and actually sent Mogurew flying on the 10th try, unfortunately getting caught in vines over a cliff. It was great to see Iris save him, and then they both became friends, practicing, and battling together, especially the tournament she was in. Mogurew vs Crimgan was very cool. Unfortunately when Iris battled Drayden her Doryuuzu wasn't strong enough and was knocked out easily. Doryuuzu was so upset about failing that he stopped listening to Iris. Iris had a long talk with him while in a sleeping bag in the middle of the night, and eventually got through to him, and Doryuuzu finally started listening to her again, and learned Focus Blast. Langley was definitely very mean to Iris, and taunted her about Doryuuzu, very glad Iris tied with her the 2nd time. She even ate the gang's food. She was helpful however, if it wasn't for the 1st battle, Iris wouldn't have told her story, and made things right with Doryuuzu. It was cool to see all of Iris' Pokemon friends from when she was a young girl.

70/100

uber gon
26th May 2011, 6:28 PM
So Superpower is basically a big energy punch? I was kinda hoping something like the Spirit Bomb from DBZ.

Champion Jared 14
26th May 2011, 6:53 PM
So Excadrill didn't want to do disappoint Iris in battle and still loved her...And seemingly didn't always see eye to eye with Iris' battle strategy after that loss? Wow, what a bitter pill to swallow...So Excadrill must be Iris' first pokemon, and like it was said, the old woman and Drayden must've saw potential in Iris to become a Dragon Master, so that's why she got Axew. Loved the relationship with Iris and Drayden, and Excadrill as a young Drilbur.

Wow, Excadrill is such a strong and powerful pokemon, it's got some impressive moves. I think Iris has the strongest pokemon in the main cast now.

Ash6K
26th May 2011, 7:31 PM
So Superpower is basically a big energy punch? I was kinda hoping something like the Spirit Bomb from DBZ.

If you're talking about Beartic's punch attack, that's actually Rock Smash. Which makes sense why it would affect Excadrill since it's a fighting move and Excadrill's part steel.

jscholfield
26th May 2011, 7:46 PM
If you're talking about Beartic's punch attack, that's actually Rock Smash. Which makes sense why it would affect Excadrill since it's a fighting move and Excadrill's part steel.

superpowers a fighting type attack too

RickHoenn
26th May 2011, 8:16 PM
Langley is a *****. :D

Amazing episode and development for Iris, Excadrill is uber! and Drillbur was cute, Iris 1st pokemon. Drayden's flashbacks were cool.

I hope Langley turns into Iris' recurring rival, I like this rude, inconsiderate *****! :P It's nice to have a balance, not everything has to be extremely friendly.

Iris is really proving herself! 10/10

KibaLG8
26th May 2011, 8:31 PM
This episode was good, although they could have played out Excadrill's refusal to fight for a bit longer. But if this means Excadrill will fight more often, then I'm alright with it.

TheEpicGoomba
26th May 2011, 8:38 PM
Definatly one of my favorite episodes ever. I loved the flash back scenes, I loveed the back story and how Excadrill isn't just lazy lke Charizard and Mamoswine were he was just too ashamed. I loved seeng Drayden and Haxorus for the first time, they both seemed very strong. I love the little fail montage of Iris and how she saved Drilbur. Langley was a bit of a douche. Beartic was cool to see for the first time. I am super glad Excadrill beat it yet it also being defeated in the process. I am also glad for Excadrill to learn Focus blast and to listen to Iris.

10/10

Champion Jared 14
26th May 2011, 8:46 PM
It seems like we were wrong about Iris' experience as far as being a trainer...She already had battling experience before she met with Ash and Cilan, beating trainers in a tournament with Drilbur/Excadrill, and even being bold enough to challenge Drayden, who I guess is considered a Dragon Master.

People only though she was a beginner because of how inexperienced and young Axew was, and Excadrill not listening to her...But we just didn't know why...at least not until now.

_Taidow_
26th May 2011, 8:47 PM
Funny how even though this is a great episode, there isn't much to talk about that wasn't mentioned before.

Most of the above posts are basically the same.

Great episode though.

Hmm... now with Axew mastering Dragon Rage, and Excadrill obeying again, its time for an Emolga epsiode!

Grei
26th May 2011, 9:09 PM
Read the thread, it's been explained several times.

Except that there are two different explanations for it.

Did Excadrill blame Iris, or did Excadrill blame himself? Which is it?

Graham Aker
26th May 2011, 9:11 PM
That Drilburr must have had some flawless IV's or something. Exactly how many battles did Iris, and Drilburr win....Did they mention a number?

TheNewGuy
26th May 2011, 9:14 PM
What a sweet episode. BW delivers once again. On course to be the best series yet.

jscholfield
26th May 2011, 9:29 PM
Except that there are two different explanations for it.

Did Excadrill blame Iris, or did Excadrill blame himself? Which is it?

he blamed iris mostly but himself as well

Salamandre
26th May 2011, 9:32 PM
^aker
could jsut be the species as a whole remember when charizard went to charazific valley:)

but speaking of charizard this episode really showed how entertaining that old plot device still is. And now i consider oshawott to be amazing as it is but when it evolves it should technically become more prideful and absesed with honor bieng based of the daimayo samurai(just look at samurott's face). So hopefully if that does happen the writers could use that plot again on it. I would think it would make him even enjoyable to watch

Dax
26th May 2011, 9:53 PM
Iris' story is one of the most interesting stories I've seen. There's still mystery surrounding her, Drayden and her village.

Langely was an okay character but she seems to be a great trainer. Regardless of the many problems her team has, Iris is a strong trainer. The way she raised Excadrill was great especially considering how little she was. I guess this is what Drayden saw in her that made him do that signal to the elder.

Overall one of the best episodes I've seen. Loving Iris, just loving her. <3

Jash Thor
26th May 2011, 9:55 PM
Real my butt.. Writers of kids shows don't put real characters in this show. They put over the top characters in this show because coarse characters are easy to understand for the little kids.

Take Dawn for instance: I loooooove cute little pokeymonz!
-> About halfway through the saga she gets one of the bigger pokemon: Mamoswine, and it immediatly becomes her problem. The little kids would go: 'oh well, that's understandable as she only likes little pokemon', when that's completely illogical when you think about it... But it makes sense for the little kids, hence Suny's frustration..

I'll agree the characters aren't mirror images of their real-world counterparts. That doesn't mean they don't have real aspects. People feel happy, sad, and angry all the time. Sometimes they're subtle, sometimes they're anything but. So I'll agree that these characters are exaggerated at times, but that doesn't mean they don't have any basis in reality.

Which is why it becomes unfair to accuse the writers of poor quality for making a character you dislike. Langley is an exaggerated personality...just like everyone else. If Sunyshore is frustrated with the embellished qualities of every character, then I understand his point. Otherwise, he simply doesn't like Langley's personality. If you encountered somebody in your life who did something incredibly rude, would you think he/she isn't a real person? Maybe you would (which would be odd), but most likely you wouldn't. Langley is self-absorbed and mean. She's not a poorly written character, just an unlikable one.

Also, I'm not quite sure what point you were making with Dawn. Didn't she originally capture a Swinub, which unexpectedly evolved into a large Mamoswine? What's illogical here? Life throws you curve balls. Dawn didn't mean to catch Mamoswine, she caught Swinub, which fits perfectly with her preference for "cute little pokeymonz!" She never anticipated Mamoswine. She then had to grow and adjust. Just like people do all the time when they encounter problems.

EDIT: Also, amidst the debate, I forgot to mention how phenomenal this episode was. Everything was top notch: story, animation, and even the music. Lots of great development and foreshadowing (Shaga and the elderly woman). I'm very curious to see what's in store for Iris.

BurningSociety12345543210
26th May 2011, 10:00 PM
I liked the episode. It was good, except for Langley. She was annoying.

Dax
26th May 2011, 10:03 PM
I think it's obvious the writers want Langely to be irritating, annoying and rude. It's just their way of making the audience root for Iris since they'll dislike her rival so much. Seems like a good strategy to me.

26th May 2011, 10:13 PM
^I know that. The writers always do it.

sunyshore.com
26th May 2011, 10:51 PM
i understand i am playing into it, that they make these characters extremely annoying for a reason, and yes, i have known real people in my life who act this way. i said i hate these characters being in pokemon, i don't think i said SHE was "poor writing" though. if i did well, it's 5:40 AM XD i will explain what i do think is poor writing, however.

okay, here is my real problem, and i mentioned it multiple times as well. the lack of response. why do they all just stand there like idiots letting this girl act reprehensible? it almost gives the message "it's okay to act like this, nobody will stop you", and this happens all the time in pokemon. characters entire personalities will change based on if the plot calls for nasty behaviour to be okay, or not okay. when it should ALWAYS be not okay.

dento threw a fit over a single leaf falling into his stew. but he just stands there doing nothing when this girl eats the entire breakfast he made?

ash almost always loses it over food. hell, the entire shaymin/ash relationship started because she ate their pancakes. ash will have a reaction to a tiny cute pokemon that looks half dead eating pancakes, but not to this girl, who's already expressly stated her trainer's goal is to seek out dragon trainers from ryuu no sato and destroy them?

so i suppose i do think there is poor writing going on somewhat, but it's nothing that we don't see all the time... main character's entire personalities changing if necessary for an episode's one-time plot... meh!!

let me say something else that bothered me. WHY WHY did iris send out her low-level little kibago against that gigantic bear?? that baby could barely defeat a level one, newly hatched zuruggu and she sends it out against the bear. i know it finally mastered its move but that doesn't automatically mean it can defeat high-leveled opponents...who are ice-type... poor poor little baby.

for the record. i did NOT hate this episode. but i was extremely frustrated with how some characters acted so weirdly.

Graham Aker
26th May 2011, 11:07 PM
i

let me say something else that bothered me. WHY WHY did iris send out her low-level little kibago against that gigantic bear?? that baby could barely defeat a level one, newly hatched zuruggu and she sends it out against the bear. i know it finally mastered its move but that doesn't automatically mean it can defeat high-leveled opponents...who are ice-type... poor poor little baby.

They obviously did that so Kibago, could win later. Iris tieing with Excadrill doesn't really prove anything to Langley as of right now.

uncutpokemon
26th May 2011, 11:29 PM
This episode was ok, but I feel as though Excadrill's disobedience should have been played out a tad bit longer.

Pepsi_Plunge
27th May 2011, 12:45 AM
sunnyshore you can't watch TV/anime haha you are too sensible, just plot and part of the story, jkg I was also oh poor thing but I know it is part of the story and we had friendly rivals before and now, Belle, Jun are the most recent examples you have to have some mean/competitive ones there.

dman_dustin
27th May 2011, 1:01 AM
Unlike some of you, who despise Langley, she sort of failed for me.

Too much of a female dog? Sorry, but Ursula and Harley were a lot better in THAT department than Langley. Langley to me seemed like she was trying too hard be of THAT personality. Then again it might be because she came after Harley and Ursula.

I did love how she ate their food though, that was good for a laugh. Only because I couldn't see who had eaten their food. And then it showed Langley, in the "I ate your food, I'm not denying it." I laughed. I also like her "Byes" like she has somewhere more important to be. But other than that unappealing.

Other than Langley, this episode was really good, and it proved me right that Iris IS a good trainer. Now all of those who questioned that can be quiet. Unless you're going to argue all those wins meant nothing.

Axew, buddy, you're getting there, but you need some more moves......Oh wait, I meant Scraggy, forget you Axew......Just Kidding.

Excadrill- I like Excadrill happy. It makes Excadrill "ADORABLE" *Metal Claw'd in the face* But seriously, yeah, I'm glad Excadrill obeys now. Though I can't wait for a proper translation for what was exactly going on.

sunyshore.com
27th May 2011, 1:08 AM
sunnyshore you can't watch TV/anime haha you are too sensible, just plot and part of the story, jkg I was also oh poor thing but I know it is part of the story and we had friendly rivals before and now, Belle, Jun are the most recent examples you have to have some mean/competitive ones there.

no!!!!! the anime must make sense at all times, it must be written perfectly and it must not cater only to little children!!!!! it must be FLAWLESS!! i'm as mad as hell, and i'm not going to take this anymore! *flips a table*

*flips every table*

27th May 2011, 1:27 AM
no!!!!! the anime must make sense at all times, it must be written perfectly and it must not cater only to little children!!!!! it must be FLAWLESS!! i'm as mad as hell, and i'm not going to take this anymore! *flips a table*

*flips every table*

Maybe if you go watch Spongebob or something and then come back, Pokemon will seem better. ;)

Graham Aker
27th May 2011, 1:53 AM
Well, if Drilburr did win 100 times in a row, that's officially the longest winning streak since A.J.

Dax
27th May 2011, 2:06 AM

*flips every table*

http://i45.*******.com/351iiaa.jpg

I gotta say, Axew is impressing me. The opponent was overwhelming but the little guy is really growing strong. He endured some strong attacks. Iris is raising it well.

d4rk_tailed
27th May 2011, 3:20 AM
That ep.....made me hope to hell that Ash gets to face Drayden, and not Iris for the final badge. Not saying Axew couldnt become better, or Excadrill doesnt improve under the writers' tutelage, but Draydens Haxorus looks too beast. Ash needs to fight that, and beat that to look worthy!!

Swagmander
27th May 2011, 3:24 AM
Earlier today, an extremely major spoiler was posted in the new character biographies, but now it seems to have been changed (Please do not open if you don't want to be spoiled, as it may be true).
Drayden is Iris's father.
Is this true or not?

Lorde
27th May 2011, 3:29 AM
That one rival chick was annoying, and not even in a good way. I was looking forward to seeing her, but she wasn't very impressive, at least in terms of her character. Her Beartic on the other hand, was pretty amazing. I liked that Iris's Axew put up a good fight, even if the outcome was predictable. I don't like Axew that much, but at least it's getting serious about battling. Getting some back story to Iris's character was great, but Drayden stole the episode! OMG, he's amazing! If the anime were to only feature him and Oshawott, I'd watch it 24/7! I liked that Excadrill grew closer to Iris, and although I was disappointed that it tied with Beartic, at least it gave us a good battle. So yeah, 8/10.

P.S. I like how at first, everyone was against the idea of Iris being involved with Opelucid City. Now it's been confirmed that she spent some time there, and everyone rushes to the other side :rolleyes:

minredd
27th May 2011, 3:44 AM
Earlier today, an extremely major spoiler was posted in the new character biographies, but now it seems to have been changed (Please do not open if you don't want to be spoiled, as it may be true).
Drayden is Iris's father.
Is this true or not?

It's not true. They're not related in any way.

Eternal Darkness
27th May 2011, 4:12 AM
I liked it. Wasn't my favorite, but a Pokemon that is both strong and listens to Iris now!?!?!

I like that. Maybe she'll catch another Pokemon to make up for that.

Now all we need, is for Drayden and Oshawoot to be in the same episode as The 4th Kira said, so that way it could be the best episode ever!

Salamandre
27th May 2011, 4:33 AM
Most likely just a coincidence but dreyden has some resemblence to drake the hoenn elite 4. And yes in the 8th gym i totally want to see samurott v.s hexarous, the samarai slaying the nasty dragon:P(i really wonder why it doesn't take fighting or steel traits as it evolves but o well). The tents and flags in the tounement kinda ressembles those recreations of medieval tournements we see so it just fits the mood

Swagmander
27th May 2011, 4:48 AM
It's not true. They're not related in any way.
Oh. So was it just a mistake on Serebii's part?

XXD17
27th May 2011, 5:46 AM
I really liked beartic's animation where they made it run on all fours like a real polar bear...I don't think they ever did that for ursaring...and excadrill is boss as always...now we (or maybe just me) wait for deino...

uber gon
27th May 2011, 5:56 AM
So would Excadrill be the first pokemon to be disobedient because of its flaws and not because of its trainers?

Chimchar15
27th May 2011, 6:01 AM
I think some of you guys need to get out more because I've definitely met characters with Langley's personalities before. I don't think the writers were trying to hard to make her *****y at all, some people are just like that even in real life. We need characters like this every once in a while,it can't be "Oh I'm an antagonist but not all that bad" all the time. The writers did their job making Langley hated builds up hype. Anyways great episode overall.

Salamandre
27th May 2011, 6:36 AM
^
Thats what we have ghetsis for:D a power hungry man thats willing to manipulate everything. His son on the other hand really is too fictional. That said I do hope he appears in the anime perhaps even as someone from dreydens village(hydriegon is his best pokemon in the games). Hell maybe have a episode where in flashback drayden tries to stop ghetsis but gets his arse kicked

pkGamerB
27th May 2011, 6:57 AM
Got confused at one point. I thought when Iris and Excadrill were training it was a flashback...then Ash and Cilan came in lol.Don't worry, so did I. xD

Anyway, I loved this episode. I really like Iris as a character, so it's always great to see her get some development, especially this deep. Kid Iris was so cute, especially when she kept getting knocked out by Drillbur. xD I really like her Excadrill a lot more too, now that we know why it was disobedient in the first place. I personally think this backstory was a refreshing change from the standard "strong Pokemon doesn't respect weak trainer, trainer saves Pokemon from danger, Pokemon listens now" plot for previous disobedient Pokemon (see: Primeape, Charizard, and Mamoswine). The battles in this ep were really good, especially the 2nd Iris vs Langley battle (Drill Run's animation looked amazing). Here's hoping Excadrill makes more appearances now, and that Iris starts to get more real battles in. I'm also hoping Langley makes more appearances as a recurring rival for Iris as the series goes on. Her personality made her really easy to dislike, but she was no a slouch in battle, which makes for a great anti-hero/antagonist, imo.

Just a side note, I think it's kinda cool to see that Iris is actually somewhat justified in criticizing Ash's battle skills, considering she's been a trainer for at least a couple of years longer than Ash, even by the anime's timeline (and was actually a pretty good one at that). Before, people were complaining because they were expecting her to be a new trainer, but this makes a little more sense now.

Pokeballs
27th May 2011, 7:45 AM
i understand i am playing into it, that they make these characters extremely annoying for a reason, and yes, i have known real people in my life who act this way. i said i hate these characters being in pokemon, i don't think i said SHE was "poor writing" though. if i did well, it's 5:40 AM XD i will explain what i do think is poor writing, however.

okay, here is my real problem, and i mentioned it multiple times as well. the lack of response. why do they all just stand there like idiots letting this girl act reprehensible? it almost gives the message "it's okay to act like this, nobody will stop you", and this happens all the time in pokemon. characters entire personalities will change based on if the plot calls for nasty behaviour to be okay, or not okay. when it should ALWAYS be not okay.

dento threw a fit over a single leaf falling into his stew. but he just stands there doing nothing when this girl eats the entire breakfast he made?

ash almost always loses it over food. hell, the entire shaymin/ash relationship started because she ate their pancakes. ash will have a reaction to a tiny cute pokemon that looks half dead eating pancakes, but not to this girl, who's already expressly stated her trainer's goal is to seek out dragon trainers from ryuu no sato and destroy them?

so i suppose i do think there is poor writing going on somewhat, but it's nothing that we don't see all the time... main character's entire personalities changing if necessary for an episode's one-time plot... meh!!

for the record. i did NOT hate this episode. but i was extremely frustrated with how some characters acted so weirdly.
Langley wanted to fight dragon types

Poke Master 7
27th May 2011, 8:41 AM
Gotta say, the writers are doing their job in making Langley a hated character as I found her obnoxious after the first 43 seconds of the episode. I mean she goaded Iris into battle and then later ate a breakfast that she knew wasn't for her, just because. Shame really because as far as character designs go, I like it, though is is just me or does it look like she got her boots right out of Dawn's closet?

But other than her, I like the development that iris and Excadrill got in the episode and it shedding light on their relationship and why he acted the way he did. Nice to see him even learn Focus Blast which'll definitely help Iris if she battles Langley again in the future. And maybe now that Excadrill has made up with Iris, we'll be able to see him out more with the other pokemon and see how he interacts with them.

Professor Poke
27th May 2011, 9:10 AM
lol, Drayden is all beard. And that old woman who gave Iris Axew looked evil.

Hikari Paradise
27th May 2011, 10:29 AM
LOL at Iris getting beat up and dragged away over and over. Finally Excadrill is listening to her and we can all be happy.

n3f
27th May 2011, 4:02 PM
I would like to see Iris battle Drayden when they reach the 8th gym. It seemed like he gave the old lady a nod when he was finished fighting Iris. It would be cool if her axew evolved like the 5th gym and during a battle with his drudignon it evolves to haxorus and they both knock each other out. Then comes excadrill vs haxorus and he ends up coming out on top by a hair maybe knocking haxorus out then fainting right after the match. Does anyone else think him nodding to the old lady and her giving iris the axew is forshadowing toward her possibly becoming the new gym leader like Isaid?

Doryuzu
27th May 2011, 5:11 PM
Damn this show is awesome :-)

This show keeps getting better. A rival that's not so jerkish but at the same time a real *****. Better Pokemon characterization. And more character complexity.

Kibago lasted pretty long against Tsunbear nice job, but there's no way he could beat a Pokemon when he just started beating Zuruggu. Icicle Drop is kinda like Dragon Meteor Down Pour, I wonder if Kibago could learn Dragon Meteor Down Pour to counter it. But, yeah can't believe Rangurei just goes around looking for Dragon trainers and Masters to beat up. Rangurei's right, Iris does need another Dragon Type Pokemon.

Can't believe Rangurei is Mijumaru's voice. Love the way she said, "Tsunbear" and her attitude and the things she said, though she was acting kinda rude like Shuuti using "Kimi".

I loved the story. I love the way Iris met Doryuuzu when he was a Mogurewu and he was a trouble makers. After trying and trying again she finally got Mogurewu and beat him in a battle and the two started training together to get stronger. That jumping around and kicking to beat Mongurewu was amazing. The way that little thing could take down such strong Pokemon. The way he held her and she held him and how much they love each other. Doryuuzu was really devastated over that loss, I mean damn white eyes like he was really dying and hurt on the inside.

I'm surprised Doryuuzu was so little, I thought that thing would be huge but, it's little compared to Iris. From what Iris and Dento were saying, Doryuuzu knew from that first attack that he could not win that battle, but Iris kept pushing him and pushing him to fight a battle that he knew he couldn't win.

The apology was so heart felt. Judging from the flash backs before Iris met Satoshi and Dento Iris tried and tried and tried to show she wanted to still be his friend. To play with him and train, offer him apples, and all types of stuff, but he just didn't want to interact with her.

I can't believe he went to all that just to learn Militancy Blast just to please her makes sense since he loves her and he needed her just to master it. He really isn't like Mamoo or Lizardon at all. I hated Lizardon and Mamoo for being smug *** holes who think there above there trainers, but I'm glad Doryuuzu's reason was a good reason. Hell they stayed up all night training together just like the old days just to beat Rangurei's Tsunbear.

I would have preferred Rangurei be picking her teeth with a toothpick not wiping her face with a handkerchief it would have made her look waaaaaaay more badass, since I think she looks like a biker chick. She really stayed cool in battle even though Tsunbear kept getting attacked. Iris screaming Doryuuzu's name really gave him the energy to continue even though he was down for the count. I really thought Tsunbear had won for a second there. Not sure if I mentioned this but, I love the Liberty Garden music that played after the battle, this being a draw opens up the door for the ドラゴンバスター to appear again. The smug way she returned Tsunbear to it's ball and sticking it to Dento's cooking lol. That hugging at the end to showed there renewed friendship and that they love each other was awesome.

Please let Rangurei appear again. She's tooooooooooooooooooooooooo good a chance to pass up! She's not a absolute ***** like Urara and Harley, but she has more to her character and has better things to do. Other then make her rival look bad the way Urara and Harley did pretty much all the time. She wants to get stronger, she's a serious girl rival. None of that girly ******** that Bel, Cabernet, and Urara pulled all the time. She's trying to beat strong trainers and she left with a tie, I don't even think she was trying too hard I mean Tsunbear sent Doryuuzu flying. She needs to come and show up again with more Pokemon maybe the evolved forms of Banipuuchi? Or maybe Tsunbear's pre-evolved form? Heck, it can be a none-ice type with Ice moves. Rangurei is just a gift wrapped up in a red bow.

Blazicken
27th May 2011, 6:42 PM
It wasn't necessarily the attack Iris kept commanding against Haxorus.. If I'm right, she ordered four different attacks: Metal Claw, Slash (or Fury Swipes), Dig and Drill Run..

It was Excadrill that thought that Iris had put him up against an opponent he couldn't possibly hope to win against, and that Iris did so because she thought that Excadrill was capable of doing so. Of course it lost, and got upset at Iris for not listening to him when it said to her that he couldn't beat Haxorus, right before Iris ordered Dig/Drill Run, and at the same time ashamed that it lost and betrayed Iris' trust in it..

Yeah that's probably it.

d4rk_tailed
28th May 2011, 2:28 PM
Can someone just verify a couple of things for me?

If Iris, when she had Drilbur, looked about, if she is 10 now, only 7 or 8 back then? With a Pokemon, would she have been eligible to do the gym and league challenges? If so, why dont loads of trainers befriend Pokemon at young ages and go out into the wild?

Professor Poke
28th May 2011, 3:37 PM

If Iris, when she had Drilbur, looked about, if she is 10 now, only 7 or 8 back then? With a Pokemon, would she have been eligible to do the gym and league challenges? If so, why dont loads of trainers befriend Pokemon at young ages and go out into the wild?

Most trainers have parents, even if it's just their mom. Iris is pretty much an orphan and can do whatever the hell she wants.

shac
28th May 2011, 3:43 PM

Because the writers wanted it so....

d4rk_tailed
28th May 2011, 4:28 PM
Most trainers have parents, even if it's just their mom. Iris is pretty much an orphan and can do whatever the hell she wants.

Orphan? Really? Cheers man, didnt even know she was an orphan, thanks.

Because the writers wanted it so....

Eesh, Im not saying it as if its real life, just suggesting that this idea could have been brought into force so much earlier in the show, supposing Pokemon fill the whole Pokemon world in the animé.

Remmie
28th May 2011, 9:29 PM
Orphan? Really? Cheers man, didnt even know she was an orphan, thanks.

They didn't show her parents yet, why does people thinks she is an orphan? Just because they didn't appear doesn't mean that she doesn't have any parents. Can we be a little bit more logical please?

Professor Poke
28th May 2011, 10:36 PM
They didn't show her parents yet, why does people thinks she is an orphan? Just because they didn't appear doesn't mean that she doesn't have any parents. Can we be a little bit more logical please?

She obviously doesn't have any. The elder didn't consult them when she gave Iris an axew. They weren't there either when she won their local tournament. I would imagine meeting the dragon master is a pretty important thing.

Any self respecting parent would also have done something if their daughter came home covered with bruises every single day.

Heck she is the only dark skinned person in her hometown iirc. White/asian people don't randomly pop out black kids. Anime or not.

SphealsFTW
29th May 2011, 2:41 AM
Just watched the episode without subs. It would've been great to know what they were saying :P. Anyways, I loved how we got to learn more about Iris and her past. And FINALLY, Doryuzu listens to her :3.

The Great Butler
31st May 2011, 10:07 AM
Definitely one of the best BW episodes. I wasn't really feeling Iris as a character before this, but with the development she received, she became a lot more interesting. If Langley appears again as a recurring rival for her, it will give her a nice, solid role as a secondary protagonist.

I think Langley VS. Iris 2 might be the best battle in BW thus far. It wasn't long and it wasn't elaborate, but it was extremely action-packed and fast-paced, making it very, very exciting to watch.

jolteonjak
31st May 2011, 3:22 PM
Can't believe Rangurei is Mijumaru's voice. Love the way she said, "Tsunbear" and her attitude and the things she said, though she was acting kinda rude like Shuuti using "Kimi".

Really? I always thought Mijumaru was done by Ikue (Pikachu), since they sound alike to me.

The sandwich
31st May 2011, 5:07 PM
At least it wasn't Buster Baxter after all..........

31st May 2011, 6:19 PM
At least it wasn't Buster Baxter after all..........

What made you think.........THAT?

Blackjack the Titan
3rd June 2011, 12:23 AM
This was a great episode. Iris was serious with her training, that's why.
Excadrill can use Aura Sphere?!?! Or what is that?

gliscor&yanmega
3rd June 2011, 4:30 PM
This was a great episode. Iris was serious with her training, that's why.
Excadrill can use Aura Sphere?!?! Or what is that?

It's Focus Blast.

Grey Wind
4th June 2011, 1:04 PM
I'm gald that Excadrill is listening, but I wish that it wasn't overnight. And the flashbacks were cool, especially seeing Drayden and Haxorus.

Squirtle_007
5th June 2011, 10:05 PM
Really, the writers are doing a magnificent job with Ash´s compannions now that there isn´t a sidequest, knowing Iris and Cilan is loving them:

- Looks like this season is the "Girl Power" season, Ash with Bianca, Cilan with Cabernet (hopefully) and Iris with Langley, I hope this girl keeps appearing, everybody needs a "Harley" rival
- So, for Iris, everyone is "such a child", even a girl that looks more "developed" than her
- Even losing, Axew´s battle was pretty good, he acted very brave and attacked even when his oponent was an Ice-type Pokémon, I think the next step in his training is resistence
- Iris should caught that Deerling, I want Deerling in the main cast, anyway, when we got to see a Deerling that is not Spring Pink?, almost a year, and is still spring
- So, Drillbur was Iris´s first Pokémon huh?, that´s new and unexpected but ... I kinda expected that Iris caught him all by herself
- Haxorus vs. Excadrill was huge, and Drayden looking at the old lady that gave Axew to Iris seems like a bright future to her
- And Cilan used his Connosieur abilities ... at last
- And Excadrill wasn´t an idiot, just being ashamed to let Iris down AND felt pressured by her, wow, Pokémon sure has deeper personalities than main characters sometimes
- Wow, Langley sure can eat, and eat fast, a breakfast for three in a couple of minutes, she had to throw a burp of satisfaction after that feast
- Excadrill vs. Beartic 2 has to be one of the best matches in this series, is good to see two punches collide and not making an explosion and the double KO makes room to another Langley episode ... or that´s what I hope so

Mijuma
7th June 2011, 3:31 AM
Awesome episode, really enjoy the emotional moments and it helped to develop Iris. This series keeps impressing me!

btw Drill Run has to be the coolest move so far, the animation looks epic!

Pikacu
7th June 2011, 4:07 AM
Pretty sure the main reason to watch Pokemon is to rot the mind not to go turn into some analytical English scholar

Geodude
9th June 2011, 6:54 PM
Anyone else think that when we finally saw a full-body shot of present-day Iris after seeing the younger Iris for so long in that extended flashback, she looked a lot older? Funny how things like that can skew your perceptions.

The sandwich
10th June 2011, 5:53 PM
Anyone else think that when we finally saw a full-body shot of present-day Iris after seeing the younger Iris for so long in that extended flashback, she looked a lot older? Funny how things like that can skew your perceptions.

What ?

Littlemyuu
11th June 2011, 9:11 PM
Cool episode, all the past about Iris and her Excadrill...cute =3

Yuppirox
18th June 2011, 4:11 AM
Langley is such a troll.

Iris: Let's battle again!
Langley: No.
Iris: Wha-?
Langly: Just kidding! I just wanted to see your shocked face. :D

Lance The Champ
20th June 2011, 7:30 PM
Amazing battle! Finally Excadrill has made up... and also was great to see the flashback

vodor
1st July 2011, 3:01 PM
I wonder, Does Langley can be consider Iris's Rival ? I mean She doesn't want to be a Dragon master but want's to beat other Dragon Master
I Think Like Iris's fear toward Ice type, Langley dislike Dragon type
Man,I heard In Bw042 Langley gonna Battle Ash, I wonder how It's gonna trun out
By The way, How is Iris's popularity after this episode ?
I Alway Try to find All the pokemon Character popularity

Yugito
14th July 2011, 11:34 PM
Damn, why do some cute girls have to be so damn *****y like her lol.

She is cute but it's a real damn shame her personality stinks alot.

I'm not too big of a fan for Iris myself as she started out so damn annoying with her constant insults to Ash of how he is being a kid. I was like

"Erm, hello? He just won the first badge."

After that she still goes on about it I was like

"Alright gal! We get the damn point already."

But yes this time, she seems more nicer.

ĿŏŘď ή
15th July 2011, 1:27 PM
Awesome episode,Excadrill very strong

SmartD
17th September 2011, 3:58 PM
A great episode. Georgia is snobbish and rude for a Dragon Buster. Excadrill listens Iris after she understands it and also learns Focus Blast. The rematch between Beartic and Excadrill ends in a draw, but it was a good battle. Can't wait for the next episode.

the1stpkmnfan
17th September 2011, 4:19 PM
This episode was pretty good, and I finally woke up on time to watch it!

Georgia is wow. Her personality reminds me of Ursula, but on a higher scale. She even ate the gang's breakfast, how snobby. xD Plus her Beartic was a real beast.

The story behind Iris and Excadrill was really heartwarming, yet unique by how they met. Can't believe Iris actually fought Drilbur, noting Cilan's reaction to that. Seems like they came a long way, up till they met Drayden and to challenge him and Haxorus. Overall, it's great to see Excadrill come out of it's shell to fight with Iris again and obey her. Now we'll get to see some real Excadrill.

Darkness Angel
17th September 2011, 4:26 PM
Ended up waking up to late so I missed it, though to those who watched it. How was Georgia's voice was it any good?

Nekaku
17th September 2011, 4:42 PM
Langley is like a fusion of Naoto Shirogane and Ursula. Naoto's character design and Ursula's personality or should I say Persona!

On a side note was it just me or was Pikachu only in the last 5 seconds during the To be continued part. I did not hear him speak of even noticed him before that lol.

Demonsead
17th September 2011, 6:13 PM
Iris>every other female Ash ever traveled with for me now.

AuraChannelerChris
17th September 2011, 6:35 PM
Georgia is really a complete and total b*tch (eating someone else's breakfast and then ASK for more the next time) but her voice really fits her. Her name is even meaningful in that it references St. George and the Dragon, a famous English tale of a crusader who slayed a dragon. Even though the fight ended in a draw, it was very good.

Too bad I didn't get to see Drilbur's evolution sequence because I went to get breakfast... Oh well, I'll watch that part later. Overall, the episode was very entertaining.

Remmie
17th September 2011, 9:12 PM
If someone is interested Georgia's english actress voice is Brittney Lee Hamilton. Doesn't ring a bell to me, but they couldn't have found a better voice for Georgia. Watched the episode on youtube, well actually part 2 of the episode I'll see part 1 later when the guy will have made back the video, and she sure sounded cool! Go Georgia!

American--Pi
17th September 2011, 9:43 PM
Georgia is really a complete and total b*tch (eating someone else's breakfast and then ASK for more the next time) but her voice really fits her. Her name is even meaningful in that it references St. George and the Dragon, a famous English tale of a crusader who slayed a dragon.

"Georgia" > "Langley". Because her dub name makes total sense. I applaud you for catching that reference. :)

And yes, Georgia is a b*tch who popped out of nowhere, ate everyone's breakfast, was horrible to Iris, and was totally snobbish and Ursula-like.

One of the best episodes of BW yet. Finally, a plot hole is filled and more background is given on Iris and Excadrill. Which means... her main used to be Drilbur, not Axew.

And Iris now has a mean, conceited rival just like Ash... I wonder how Georgia will develop throughout the season.

Iris's little-kid voice annoyed me though. >:-(

Venomfang
17th September 2011, 9:43 PM
So her name is Georgia? Meh, Langley fits her better.

AuraChannelerChris
17th September 2011, 10:20 PM
So her name is Georgia? Meh, Langley fits her better.

Well, is there any meaningful meaning to Langley? It sounds weird to me.

_Taidow_
17th September 2011, 10:32 PM
I like Georgia's dub voice and I got used to her dub voice as well.

Cilan gave her good advice, and its funny how Iris is so annoying that she can convince anyone by saying "You're such a kid" like Ash, Trip, and Georgia.

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!
17th September 2011, 10:37 PM
Georgia...I don't like that name. They should have left her name alone. Isn't Langley an English name?

At least Excadrill will obey Iris now. And the flashback was interesting.

Here's another good thing: Cartoon Network didn't edit out the way Georgia Langley says good bye. Good. That's the reason why I like this character.

The subbed episode gets an 8/10.

The dubbed version gets a 6/10.

Mr.Munchlax
17th September 2011, 10:41 PM
Well, is there any meaningful meaning to Langley? It sounds weird to me.
Is there any meaningful meaning to Georgia?

Zoruagible
17th September 2011, 11:01 PM
I loved how Iris and Excadrill first met
Georgia seemed mean though, just eating the trio's food.

TheBattleFrontierAsh1
17th September 2011, 11:26 PM
I'm still mad that they changed langley's name to Georgia but overall I liked her voice.
Drayden's voice was kinda weird though and I honestly couldn't tell weather or not iris as a little kid dub voice is the same as hers as an 11 year old.

_Taidow_
17th September 2011, 11:31 PM
Is there any meaningful meaning to Georgia?

Its a nod to the legend of St. George a knight or something that slayed a dragon.

TheBattleFrontierAsh1
17th September 2011, 11:38 PM
Its a nod to the legend of St. George a knight or something that slayed a dragon.

You got that info from bulbapedia didn't you?

_Taidow_
17th September 2011, 11:50 PM
You got that info from bulbapedia didn't you?

No they have it? Oh wow.

Orton155
18th September 2011, 12:21 AM
I loved this episode. It was great to find out more about Iris and her past and to actually discover that excadrill came first as a drilbur which was fought human to pokemon! At least we know the answer to the famous question what came first Axew or the dril...wait thats not right.

Anyway back to the past. It was interesting to find out that Iris started to battle from a young age which I assume would be due from the influence from the village of dragons. It seems that she has a natural ability to battle, 99 wins in a row at that age is no mean feat and the 100th battle was lost to Dragon Master Drayden. More on that battle, Excadrill was actually disobedient because it didn't trust Iris' strategy anymore because it realised that it's close range attacks were no match for Haxorus before Iris did (thats one clever pokemon).

Back to the future and Iris is sad that it didn't realise why Excadrill is like how it is sooner. Excadrill realises that Iris now has learnt her lesson and is willing to get back into the battling spirit like he used to but first he wants to learn a long range attack - Focus Blast!

Then there is some battle which ends in a tie which excadrill lost previously. Good on ya excadrill! Nice Episode :D.

Drummerdude
18th September 2011, 12:24 AM
I actually liked both the name Georgia and the voice for her. I thought it was very fitting. It is nice that Excadrill will obey Iris and I look forward to the two battling together. Although this episode was not as good as the last one it was still very decent.

Arcamenel
18th September 2011, 12:35 AM
When I hear the name Georgia I liken it to a *****y girl, specifically a major ***** of a girl I knew in high school so I think it fits perfectly. I really dislike the name Langley.

Nekaku
18th September 2011, 1:30 AM
Drayden has a an epic beard. Heck may even give Wheezywaiter a run for his money!

TheBattleFrontierAsh1
18th September 2011, 1:50 AM
Georgia...I don't like that name. They should have left her name alone. Isn't Langley an English name?

At least Excadrill will obey Iris now. And the flashback was interesting.

Here's another good thing: Cartoon Network didn't edit out the way Georgia Langley says good bye. Good. That's the reason why I like this character.

The subbed episode gets an 8/10.

The dubbed version gets a 6/10.It was a good episode and I believe langley is a strange english name but they really should have left it alone.

Poke Master 7
18th September 2011, 2:03 AM
Ash is officially gonna have trouble against Drayden. You hear the familiarity to his voice? He's the narrator of the series. How can Ash dare to challenge the omnipotent narrator?

wildheart90
18th September 2011, 2:04 AM
they didnt keep beartic's japanese voice, which sucks cause it would have fit just fine

but yea dub just sounds like its all done by only a small handful of people and its done very emotionlessly, cant wait til they ruin the don battles -__-

WaterDragon trainer
18th September 2011, 3:20 AM
This was a pretty great episode. I'm glad that Exadrill finally started to listen to Iris and I think that the Dragon Buster was one of THE worst pokemon characters ever.

Shneak
18th September 2011, 4:31 AM
I've been waiting for this dub for forever. Georgia <3

Who voices Georgia and Drayden? Georgia sounds a bit like Zoey, and Drayden sounds really familiar. Is he the narrator to something?

CyberCubed
18th September 2011, 5:07 AM
If someone is interested Georgia's english actress voice is Brittney Lee Hamilton. Doesn't ring a bell to me, but they couldn't have found a better voice for Georgia. Watched the episode on youtube, well actually part 2 of the episode I'll see part 1 later when the guy will have made back the video, and she sure sounded cool! Go Georgia!

Too bad Georgia is extremely one dimensional and unlikeable here.

Characters with no depth.

Vipsoccermaster
18th September 2011, 5:24 AM
Fine episode. Great to see Excadrill listening to Iris again. It's also good to see Drayden, too.

Georgia, well, she was annoying. She was just rude and stole breakfast.

XXD17
18th September 2011, 9:31 AM
Drayden sounds pretty nice in the dub...I would think he'd be kind of concieted but he wasn't...

Nekaku
18th September 2011, 3:30 PM

Your kidding right? She is the best character since Harley!

jscholfield
18th September 2011, 4:11 PM

hahahahahahaha

that was a joke right

Caseydia
18th September 2011, 4:19 PM

Oh leave her alone already! Some people with high pride like Iris may need a character like her to snap her into her own reality. I'm wondering that if this didn't happened, that Excadrill will be still disobedient and she would probably had a problem with it in the Don battle. This episode was not just for Iris but for Excadrill too. Some Pokemon needs a bad kick in the butt to wake them up.

TheBattleFrontierAsh1
18th September 2011, 4:34 PM

What your kidding right?
She's got the same amount of seriousness as Paul had but she is a strong and willing rival.

Yeul
18th September 2011, 5:55 PM
Fock. Yes. Georgia.
That has got to be my favorite dub name ever, and doncha think that she sounds a lot like Asuka Langley Souryuu from Evangelion?

TheBattleFrontierAsh1
18th September 2011, 5:59 PM
Fock. Yes. Georgia.
That has got to be my favorite dub name ever, and doncha think that she sounds a lot like Asuka Langley Souryuu from Evangelion?
She sounds more langleyish to me really.

Drayden sounds pretty nice in the dub...I would think he'd be kind of concieted but he wasn't...

Drayden sounds a little off to me but that's just my opinion.

mycooly
18th September 2011, 6:00 PM

your kidding........right?

JohtoGreen
19th September 2011, 4:37 AM
Georgia reminds me of Haruko from FLCL.

Janovy
19th September 2011, 4:51 AM
your kidding........right?
He always does that, just ignore it.

~Light
19th September 2011, 9:02 AM
I really liked this episode ^^

Especially since Excadrill finally listens to Iris :D

jscholfield
19th September 2011, 9:41 AM
Drayden sounds a little off to me but that's just my opinion.

maybe because you can't see his mouth move

gliscor&yanmega
19th September 2011, 4:28 PM
Georgia is a fine dub name, although I liked Langley better. I wasn't really crazy about her dub voice. But even so, I like Georgia and I'll eventually get used to her voice and name.

I don't really like the sound of sad Iris in the dub, doesn't really sound like a sad moment, kind of wanted to laugh when she was crying...maybe I'm just cold hearted.

I do like the sound of happy Excadrill though, then again I like the sound of it all the time, I love it's dub voice.

Drayden sounded pretty nice too, wasn't really expecting it but I still liked it.

Haxorus's dub voice I like as well. Beartic was cool too.

Overall I enjoyed this episode as much as the Japanese version.

Caseydia
19th September 2011, 10:19 PM
I really liked this episode ^^

Especially since Excadrill finally listens to Iris :D

It would be an interesting twist if it started disobeying again later down the road.

Banana Knight Arthur
19th September 2011, 10:22 PM
It would be an interesting twist if it started disobeying again later down the road.

No seńor, that would be a crappy writing schtick.

Iris actually suffered a disobedient pokemon for much longer than we saw on screen.

A decent amount of time went by between when she lost the dragon village festival, where he began to ignore her existence, to when she joined up with Ash.

TheBattleFrontierAsh1
19th September 2011, 10:34 PM
maybe because you can't see his mouth move

But you can see his mustache however so his mouth does move but his hair sure does!

jscholfield
20th September 2011, 10:08 AM
one thing I don't get when did iris capture excadrill in a pokeball because kids can only get pokeballs when they turn 10 and when iris meet drillbur she was about 7-8

Lance The Champ
20th September 2011, 12:42 PM
This episode was indeed one of the best so far in Black and White...It also reveals that Iris is not a beginning trainer but she has been battling for quite a time... Drayden was awesome. It will be thrilling to see Ash battle with Drayden in the future

Battra
20th September 2011, 4:51 PM
Certainly a better episode than we've gotten from the previous ones, especially with the character development between Iris & Excadrill, & the flashback's really help show off the Iris was a wild child from the start. Seeing Beartic an all fours was very nice it's good to see Pokemon acting like they're real world counter parts more it helps bring more personality to them.

pokefandt
21st September 2011, 3:10 PM
Georgia's dub name is actually really clever when you think on it.

She may be named after Saint George, who in mythology slayed a dragon.

If that's true the dub writers went up a notch in my book.

Orton155
21st September 2011, 10:05 PM
one thing I don't get when did iris capture excadrill in a pokeball because kids can only get pokeballs when they turn 10 and when iris meet drillbur she was about 7-8

It is quite possible that Iris brought her new friend drilbur into the village and after that one of the older members of the village gave her a pokeball so she was able to catch it.

matt0044
21st September 2011, 11:44 PM
Fock. Yes. Georgia.

Waaait... Georgia/Langley from Pokemon and Asuka Langley Souryuu (Opelucid) from Evangelion.

Dang!

BlazingCold
22nd September 2011, 12:41 AM
Georgia. Wth double hockey stick is that name. Langley is like 30x better.

Excadrill's starting to grow on me.

matt0044
22nd September 2011, 1:02 AM
Georgia. Wth double hockey stick is that name. Langley is like 30x better.

Excadrill's starting to grow on me.

Georgia's the Dragon Buster and Saint George slayed a dragon in mythology.

See the meaning now?

halloweenghost
23rd September 2011, 4:02 AM
Awesome episode. really showed character development between Excadrill and Iris..thoguh i wish Excadrill would have drug on the not fully opening back up to her so quickly.

Lance The Champ
23rd September 2011, 12:44 PM
After defeating iris Drayden winked at the elder of the village of dragons. What could that mean?

23rd September 2011, 5:15 PM
After defeating iris Drayden winked at the elder of the village of dragons. What could that mean?

The elder bet $1,000,000 that Drayden would lose to Iris, but Drayden won. Drayden winked at her to remind her to pay him his money.

TheBattleFrontierAsh1
23rd September 2011, 5:40 PM

It probably meant she will become a strong dragon trainer in the future if not then it might have just been a wink it probably meant she's almost ready to become a trainer completely.

Remmie
23rd September 2011, 7:35 PM
Your kidding right? She is the best character since Harley!

I second this! But Cyber is never kidding when he says his opinions about a character, which is something I find really annoying. Hmph!

CyberCubed
23rd September 2011, 7:38 PM
I second this! But Cyber is never kidding when he says his opinions about a character, which is something I find really annoying. Hmph!

This is coming from someone who hates characters for no reason?

Besides Georgia isn't anything special but she does improve later on.

Janovy
23rd September 2011, 7:40 PM
Quite ironic that you say that, actually.

CyberCubed
23rd September 2011, 7:41 PM
Quite ironic that you say that, actually.

Ursula was better. :p

Janovy
23rd September 2011, 7:42 PM
Ursula was better. :p
Everyone knows that Ursula is just a rehash of Harley.

Remmie
23rd September 2011, 7:47 PM

I have reasons for not liking a character, however you don't need to know them. You got some nerves to talk about me like that, pal. I suggest you to not say such non-sense about people that you don't know. So don't start picking a fight with me, that comment of yours really pisses me of.

CyberCubed
23rd September 2011, 7:49 PM
I have reasons for not liking a character, however you don't need to know them. You got some nerves to talk about me like that, pal. I suggest you to not say such non-sense about people that you don't know. So don't start picking a fight with me, that comment of yours really pisses me of.

So in other words I have to like Georgia? She was too one dimensional in this ep for my tastes, and previous "jerk" rivals were handled much better.

A good design can only go so far.

TheBattleFrontierAsh1
23rd September 2011, 7:50 PM

Besides Georgia isn't anything special but she does improve later on.
She improves as a character slightly Pawniard makes her look cooler.

Everyone knows that Ursula is just a rehash of Harley.

But wasn't harley litterly gay?

Remmie
23rd September 2011, 7:58 PM
So in other words I have to like Georgia? She was too one dimensional in this ep for my tastes, and previous "jerk" rivals were handled much better.

A good design can only go so far.

Did you read what I posted? You could at leash present me some excuses! And for Georgia I already knew your reasons, like almost all of the other on the site. When you say that you don't like a character you are not shy about making it clear to all of us. *sigh*

CyberCubed
23rd September 2011, 8:08 PM
Did you read what I posted? You could at leash present me some excuses! And for Georgia I already knew your reasons, like almost all of the other on the site. When you say that you don't like a character you are not shy about making it clear to all of us. *sigh*

The girl appears out of nowhere to eat food and say she wants to fight dragons? Not exactly depth here.

She's also not having an interesting rivalry since Iris shrugs her off.

Rebeccag
25th September 2011, 1:01 AM
Georgia annoyed me but I liked her rivarly with Iris. Also good to see Exradrill start to listen to Iris. The way Georgia left as well was a bit random. Im sure we will see her again as rivals do and get to know her a bit more. I liketo learn more about her

Shiny_Wooper
29th September 2011, 6:42 AM
i am glad iris has a rival but i don't like georgia's name i don't like it as a name.Its good iris has a good pokemon i mean axew is kina weak iris need's a pokemon that can actully win battles

Caseydia
1st October 2011, 9:23 PM
Georgia is a nice name because it's my cousin's. If you're looking for a Japanese name then watch the sub version.

TotalPotato
9th October 2011, 3:26 AM
This episode is much better than the general standard of Black & White so far, in my opinion. Iris's flashback really captivated me, and the whole emotion of the episode didn't feel contrived, which has been a problem in the past for me. It all just made so much sense. And the battles were exciting too - there was none of the "Pokémon! Use Deus Ex Machina!" that make so many battle sequences unappealing for me. I saw closely fought battles where the outcome actually made sense. I just wish more episodes could match this one in terms of quality.

OnceUponATime
19th October 2011, 2:38 AM
I happened to really like this episode. I saw the Japanese version, and then when I went to watch the dub when it came on Cartoon Network, I only got to see the second half because my Cable went out. Thankfully I had seen the Japanese one.

Walcott
26th December 2011, 5:10 AM
This was one of the first episodes I made sure to watch when I got back into the animé recently. I had only read summaries about Georgia, but I thought the idea behind her character was awesome. I like her purpose and I like that there is a character there to test Iris.

What really made me happy was that Georgia wasn't happy that she didn't get to really battle a Dragon-type. With that incentive, I think Iris will definitely work harder to train Axew, if not more Dragon-types. Plus the backstory into Iris and her Excadrill was great too.

Overall, I thought the episode was good. The plot was cool, Georgia was cool, and it all ended nicely. I look forward to where everything from this episode goes.

OshyHikari
14th January 2012, 8:34 AM
This was one of the first episodes I made sure to watch when I got back into the animé recently. I had only read summaries about Georgia, but I thought the idea behind her character was awesome. I like her purpose and I like that there is a character there to test Iris.

What really made me happy was that Georgia wasn't happy that she didn't get to really battle a Dragon-type. With that incentive, I think Iris will definitely work harder to train Axew, if not more Dragon-types. Plus the backstory into Iris and her Excadrill was great too.

Overall, I thought the episode was good. The plot was cool, Georgia was cool, and it all ended nicely. I look forward to where everything from this episode goes.

I agree with you, this was one of the best Iris episodes.

Excadrill regaining his confidence and learning Focus Blast was good plus we also got to see Excadrill's backstory.

I started liking Excadrill after seeing this.

KingMinun
13th February 2012, 3:06 PM
Its half term here, and I'm really bored, so I thought I'd watch an episode of BW, I decided to watch this episode because it has Haxorus and Drayden in it. Now normally I hate BW and I can't stand Iris, but this episode turned out to be really good and made me like Iris a little bit. I may tune into more episodes in the future.

8th March 2012, 10:17 PM
This episode was kind of weird. Partly because Excadrill was completely out of character, and partly because this was basically a copy of "Charizard Chills" and "Trials and Adulations," where a main character bonds with a disobediant pokemon after it gets beaten up by some other pokemon. It was kind of boring, and there was way too much crying this time around. I wish Excadrill had a problem that we hadn't seen already with other pokemon. Other than that, this episode introduced Georgia, who's not a bad character so I'll give this episode a 5.

Janovy
9th March 2012, 9:53 PM
This episode was kind of weird. Partly because Excadrill was completely out of character, and partly because this was basically a copy of "Charizard Chills" and "Trials and Adulations," where a main character bonds with a disobediant pokemon after it gets beaten up by some other pokemon. It was kind of boring, and there was way too much crying this time around. I wish Excadrill had a problem that we hadn't seen already with other pokemon. Other than that, this episode introduced Georgia, who's not a bad character so I'll give this episode a 5.

This episode was nothing like those. Sure, Iris and Excadrill became friends again but the reason Excadrill refused to come out of his shell was because he was ashamed of having lost against Haxorus which is why he closed himself off from Iris. And you cannot claim that Excadrill was out of his character when this specific episode ESTABLISHED his character, he didn't really have one before. And I say that Excadrill's case was handled much better and far more unique than any of the other cliché disobedience cases. We've never seen this kind of reason for shutting off from your trainer like this so this makes Excadrill the most unique case out of all of them.

Basically, everything you said (except for Langley being good, which I agree with) isn't really true.

- Excadrill's personality got truly established in this episode.
- The reason for Excadrill shutting down was unique and unlike anything we've seen before.

So while they did bond - everything else was completely different.

Charizard-Fan
5th May 2012, 5:08 PM
This episode is absolutely one of the best and one of the most emotionals in Best Wishes. Iris's and Excadrill's flashbacks are so sad, especially the parts where Excadrill loses and when Iris realizes that she didn't think Excadrill's feelings at all. And rematch between Excadrill and Beartic is very good. Iris's and Excadrill's bond definitely becomes very strong in this episode.
Overall, fantastic and very sad episode.
10/10

MusicalZoroark
26th May 2012, 4:23 AM
I love her. She is amazing and needs to return.

wobbanut
31st July 2012, 4:34 AM
Oh great, Georgia. :p I don't like Georgia very much, though I don't dislike her as much as Trip or Ursula. I don't know, something about her rubs me the wrong way.

I do like that Excadril finally starts listening to Iris with this episode, though. It was about time. :) At least Excadril has proven to be a pretty awesome pokemon since. I didn't think much of him apart from Emolga's debut showing prior to this episode, but I've grown to like him since.

7/10

Mr. Spock
13th May 2013, 8:11 PM
ok was it just me, or was it kinnda stupid that they had excadrill learn a long range move and then use it when he is already at close range?

PokemontrainerY
22nd December 2013, 9:25 AM
Dragon Buster Georgia was a fun character, I really liked her. Although her goal to defeat Dragon-type trainers seemed kinda random until she explained how she got defeated by a Dragon-type trainer in the past. There was never been a 'Dragon Buster' like Georgia in the Pokémon anime before, so it was somewhat refreshing too.

The first battle between Iris and Georgia was satiesfying, I liked how Georgia defeating Iris in the battle. LOL Iris thought she could win against Georgia's huge Beartic with her Not-so-trained Axew. As expected, Beartic knocked Axew out in the battle. Then there was her disobedient Excadrill, who started battling against Beartic on his own instead of obeying Iris' commands. As a result, Excadrill also got knocked out by Beartic. I got a good laugh when Georgia made fun of Iris and told her to get serious since she really needs to train her Axew more seriously than she has.

The Excadrill vs. Beartic battle led to Iris' backstory with Excadrill. Excadrill sure gave her a lot of trouble as a Drilbur, everytime Iris swinged a vine to kick it.....she kept getting hit by Excadrill's Metal Claw. It was nice to see Iris training hard everyday to beat Drilbur, but Iris beating Drilbur and catching it was surprising since Iris didn't look like a ten-year old in the flashback. Geez, Iris was lucky to have her first Pokémon before turning ten.

It was hard to believe that Iris actually managed to got Ninty-Nine wins in a row with Drilber. Iris seemed nothing like a experienced trainer in the in the early BW episodes, in fact she seemed like a rookie in the episodes. Maybe it was the result of all the training she did with Excadrill. If she can train Drilbur to a tough Pokémon, I wonder why didn't she train Axew the same way? Then there was the scene where Iris challenged Dragon Master Drayden to a battle without thinking. Well, Iris got overconfident after Winning Ninty-Nine in a row, hence why she thought she could beat Drayden Iris' Excadril lost the battle badly and started disobeying her.

I liked how Cilan pointed out that Iris didn't understand Excadrill's feelings in the middle of the battle, it made her realize that she was wrong about Excadrill. While seeing Iris try to bond with Excadrill by apologizing and sleeping under stars was cute, but I didn't like how that's all it took for Excadrill to obey Iris by learning Focus Blast. Unlike Charizard and Mamoswine, Excadrill was disobedient for Years......so it should've took more than just one apology for Excadrill to obey Iris again.

It's good that the rematch between Georgia and Iris ended in a draw instead of Iris winning the battle. Seeing Excadril happy with Iris was nice, but I think the whole 'disobedient Excadrill' problem solved too easily.

Overall, this was an interesting episode. Georgia was a interesting character, seeing her make fun of Iris was funny. I'm glad she became a recurring character later in the series.
Iris and Excadrill's backstory was nice, however, I think this 'disobedient Pokémon obeying it's trainer' storyline was rushed compared to the Mamoswine/Charizard storyline.

TurtwigFan1
24th July 2014, 12:12 AM
What a great episode! I teared up when Excadrill and Iris started to get along again. So lovely to see Iris' backstory and her past relationship with Excadrill. It was really sad how Excadrill became so distant from her. I'm so glad they're back to being friends and hopefully Excadrill will have a lot more screentime. Georgia's a much more interesting rival than Trip in my opinion, so hopefully she'll turn up again soon.

minerswhocraft
15th September 2014, 4:44 AM
This episode was amazing! One of the best since The Johto League battles! (Ash V Gary, Ash V Harrison) Nothing really ever came close to those episodes, but this one was really really fantastic. True, believable, well developed emotion and relationship, amazing background depth and a wonderful end resolution! Excadrill and Iris have been very funny so far this season but this really opens up Iris' character a ton!

Excadrill is such a cool Pokemon and this was truly a tear jerking episode. So wonderfully executed. It's episodes like these that really take you back to the glory days in the original series. This season all around has felt like something out of the original Kanto series and its been such a refreshing change to previous seasons. Ash is goofy again, Iris is sassy while being epic and Silan is hilarious in his view on everything as a recipe! Not to mention the Pokemon actually have some freaking personality!

I'm looking forward to getting to watch Iris kick some real *** now that she and Excadrill are back together!