PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen OU Single-Battle

xViCiOuS
7th June 2011, 1:35 AM
I just made this team today and I'm 11-2 with it, I lost one time because of hax and got walled by a Chansey because my swampert and machamp were dead.

Lead Dragonite @ Life Orb

Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Extreme Speed
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

Typical offensive dragonite, usually scouts at first because 9 times out of ten their lead won't have an ice move, then I can set up a d dance right away on the switch.

Lead Support Metagross @ Lum Berry

Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Meteor Mash
Explosion

Metagross is my support for dragonite, if they switch in an ice pokemon I switch into this and usually get the rocks set up and force another switch. I'm cotemplating whether or not I want to take him off the team for a blissey because hes by far the least effective.

Scarf Heatran @ Choice Scarf

Rash Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Fire Blast
Earth Power
Hidden Power [Electric]
Explosion

My revenge killer, pretty much outspeeds anything but other scarfs.

Swampert @ Leftovers

Careful Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 SpD

Curse
Earthquake
Avalanche
Waterfall

Physical Swampert, pretty standard, set up with curse and can sweep most teams if I bring him out late in the game.

Special Tank Zapdos @ Leftovers

Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe

Thunderbolt
Roost
Substitute
Hidden Power [Ice]

Special wall, mainly used for scouting.

Closer Machamp @ Leftovers

Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

Rest
Sleep Talk
Dynamic Punch
Stone Edge

This thing is a beast, bring him out late in the game and he usually can sweep 3-4 pokes if needed.

R/f please!

Darkerones
8th June 2011, 9:35 PM
first of all,the descroptions are awfully short. second,dragonite is an awful lead in my opinion without agility,mainly because a lot of leads now carry stuff like ice shard and hidden power ice,try giving it a yache berry,and drop the EVs in defense and put em in HP. the metagross is actually pretty okay,but id suggest dumping more EVs into speed,mainly for stuff like tyranitar and other metagross,as well as skarm. Zapdos a special tank? ive seen this a lot lately and i just smh,especcialy when articuno is an option most wouldnt expect in OU. This Zapdos should have been your revenge killer,not heatran(take him out,or put Shuca berry on him) the machamp is unorthodox but i can see how this works,may i suggest a Bulk Up set instead? the Cursepert is okay except make it more of a physical tank rather than special because its not gonna take a hit from a grass move anyway so its pointless. also,make it Impish or Adamant. Overall the team is solid but lacks synergy and is quite predictable. 6/10

123fakestreet
8th June 2011, 10:39 PM
I'm afraid I must disagree. Dragonite can run a very effective lead set due to his natural bulk and ability.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Mild
Inner focus
200 spe / 252 sp attk / 56 attk
Moves
-Superpower
-Draco Meteor
-Extremespeed
-Fire Blast

That is option one but my favourite option is the following. Change pert to a standard rocks pert and make Metagross your lead. This set has served me well.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Clear Body
232 Hp / 224 attk / 20 spe / 32 sp def
Moves
-Iron Head
-Bullet Punch
-Explosion
-Earthquake

Ok now this is going to take some explaining. The given EVs allow it to Ohko a defensive hippowdon with explosion. Live a sash lead azelfs fire blast and outspeed anything usually trying to outspeed lead gross. Iron head is used because in this situation meteor mashes power is un needed and the 85% accuracy will cost you big. Bullet punch is for focus sashes and explosion is for killing bulky leads before they even begin to set up. Earthquake gets a good neutral hit on most leads which can take an iron head. Trust me when I say this. Do Not Tamper With This Set.

Your zapdos could probably use Heat wave instead of Substitute.

Heatran is fine and so is Machamp. I would probably replace machamp though in the long run. Dunno what with though :L

Darkerones
10th June 2011, 11:02 PM
Snorlax is more effective than Machamp in the long run and a much better special tank than Swampert and Zapdos. And I forgot that Nite gets ExtremeSpeed so yes that set above could make a decent lead. Also,have you considered Rotom-Heat?

khalid737
11th June 2011, 8:00 PM
The first half of this post is directed towards Darkerones since he doesn't know what he's talking about.Do not listen to his advice.

1.How is Dragonite with Agility superior to Dragonite with Dragon Dance as a lead ?
You say leads carry HP Ice / Ice Shard .
-Ice Shard doesn't care about the speed boosts since it is a priority move
-Of the top 10 leads in the 4th Gen metagame not one packs HP Ice

2.Cursepert needs all the Special Defense it can get,since it boosts its Defense with Curse

3.Articuno as a tank ? Articuno who loses 50% to Stealth Rock everytime it switches in on a team with no Rapid Spin support?

4.Why would he consider Rotom-H ? It's main job is countering things like Gyarados and Metagross and blocking Rapid Spin.Gyarados is handled by Zapdos and Machamp.Metagross is walled by Swampert.He isn't running Spikes or Toxic Spikes so blocking spin is useless.

All you've been doing is suggesting things with little to no justification.

123fakestreet's rate is very helpful on the other hand.Dragon Dance on lead Dragonite is a waste of a move since setting up early is not going to work 99% of the time.The Dragonite set he suggested is an excellent anti-lead that hits hard right off the bat with great coverage.

The Metagross set is also an effective anti-lead,beating status/sash leads such as Roserade,Smeargle,Azelf,Aerodactyl etc. through a combination of Iron Head(I prefer Meteor Mash to hit things like lead Machamp harder) + Bullet Punch.

If you are going to use a special wall why aren't you using Blissey ? No one does the job better.Change Zapdos to be more physically defensive so it handles threats such as Gyarados and Scizor better.Zapdos also covers Blissey's only weakness.

This is just a really quick post.I will be suggesting other things and I will go more in-depth with things like movesets,EV Spreads and synergy when I am done with my exams.
Until then 123fakestreets suggestions are solid and test-worthy.Good luck.

Darkerones
11th June 2011, 8:43 PM
Well first of all,I DO know what I'm talking about although maybe my suggestions don't quite match this team. ExtremeSpeed doesn't cover Tyranitar or Gengar and Gengar DOES pack HP ice and some rare Variants of TyraniBoah carry ice moves. Yacht Berry plus Agility beats Gengar,not the set Fakestreet suggested(though his is still effective) DD and Outrage beats Tyranitar. There's other threats to consider too. (Like Scizor and Special Bronzongs) they're rare as leads but they do exist. And yes Rotom-H or Spiritomb if he doesn't want Articuno because his Metagross DOES lay rocks. And why don't you have a spinner speaking of rocks eating Articuno's health(and Zapdos' too) Swampert isn't going to take any special grass attacks(the only special moves he will be seeing,I can assure you) so lean more towards defense,at least some. Again,Heatran is pretty out of place in your team. Dont doubt me just because someone else with a different battling style says so.

123fakestreet
11th June 2011, 10:06 PM
Ok, thankyou for backing me up and I am back with statistics.

Iron head on lead gross is better because when adding in the flinch chance and miss chance if meteor mash then iron head actually gas a better chance to beat machamp. Along with that, based on recent statistics that Metagross beats the opponents lead 86% of the time. It looses to heatran and ape but that all is around fire blast hitting so there's still a 15% chance to win.

Darkerones
11th June 2011, 10:22 PM
Metagross<3 I was considering him for my Trick Room team but then I would be Triple typing Psychic and Steel and I didn't want to overwhelm my MixNite with taking care of Fires so yeah....but he's a key player in my Swagger team. :D

khalid737
12th June 2011, 3:19 AM
Lead Gengar does not carry HP Ice.This isn't early D/P were lead scarf Gengar was the fad with Hypnosis.Even if it did have HP Ice Agility + Yache doesn't beat it since it is going to be 99.9% Focus Sashed.
You barely even see lead Gengar nowadays and if you do it is usually a
Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Counter/Destiny Bond variant.

How does Superpower not defeat Tyraniboah ? Please explain.It gets outsped ( since Boah only runs enough speed to beat Blissey so it can sub on the status move ) and is OHKO'ed.You don't need Extremespeed if you're faster.
The other threats you mentioned ( Bronzong + Scizor ) are beaten by Fire Blast.

It seems you don't get the point of CursePert.It is not meant to be used as a standard tank Pert.You get rid of its counters ( Eg.Grass Types) then Curse up.Since Curse is increasing your defense,you don't need EV investment in it so you place it in Special Defense to take hits from both spectrums.Speaking of CursePert I recommend getting rid of Waterfall and using Rest instead.Earthquake and Ice Punch/Avalanche give you good coverage as it is and not much can 2HKO Swampert after a few Curses so you just Rest off the damage.

You don't run a dedicated spin blocker just for preventing Stealth Rocks from being spun.You run it on stall teams since the point of stall teams is wearing you down with entry hazards ( Spikes + Toxic Spikes + Stealth Rocks , not just Stealth Rocks )
If he runs a Rotom-H he is going to have a Pursuit weak Pokemon that covers the exact same threats his other Pokemon do.It is a waste of a team member.

Darkerones
12th June 2011, 5:16 AM
Hmmm,you seem to know what your talking about....would you mind rating my team? (it's in the same subfurom as this one) maybe you can give me some pointers so next time I know what I'm talking about when Im commenting on these things

noob21
15th June 2011, 11:03 PM
This is a great team in my opinon I give it 5 stars