PDA

View Full Version : Showdown At Linoone (389)

Serebii
27th January 2005, 11:05 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/389.jpgShowdown At Linoone

On their way to Pacifidlog Town, Ash & Co. decide to take a rest. However a Linoone comes and steals May's Pokéballs and runs off with them. Angry about this May chases after the Linoone. Will she get her balls back?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/389.sml)

Discuss

Dogasu
27th January 2005, 1:06 PM
Since we've been having problems with this lately, I'll post a reminder:

Unless you've seen the episode or read the episode guide that will inevitably be posted on the main site, don't post in this thread. If you want to speculate on what might happen, go to the Speculation Thread (http://www.serebiiforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=52392) over in the Anime Spoilers forum.

Also, asking for someone to post an episode summary over and over again won't make it happen any sooner.

Thriller
27th January 2005, 1:40 PM
And guys, lets not cut to the chase and ask if anyone caught the darned thing.

Alfonso
27th January 2005, 3:36 PM
You know, I think the Mods/Admins need to talk amongst themselves a little bit more, since I was told by Edward Elric that the Speculation Threads for an episode would not be closed until a summery/information on the episode had been posted up in the Discussion Thread. Obviously, there are some mixed wires going around here, since the Speculation Thread was closed aroundf half an hour ago, and I don't see any information about the episode in this thread.

Sorry if that sounded like moaning, but... well... :p

Geodude
27th January 2005, 6:49 PM
And guys, lets not cut to the chase and ask if anyone caught the darned thing.

Especially because no one did. As Murg clearly said, it has a trainer already.

Murgatroyd
27th January 2005, 7:11 PM
You know, I think the Mods/Admins need to talk amongst themselves a little bit more, since I was told by Edward Elric that the Speculation Threads for an episode would not be closed until a summery/information on the episode had been posted up in the Discussion Thread. Obviously, there are some mixed wires going around here, since the Speculation Thread was closed aroundf half an hour ago, and I don't see any information about the episode in this thread.
It appears that we Anime mods have been overruled. I reopened the thread, and Serebii closed it again within minutes.

Alfonso
27th January 2005, 7:24 PM
It appears that we Anime mods have been overruled. I reopened the thread, and Serebii closed it again within minutes.

...Really? o.o; Have you/any of the other Anime Mods asked him why he wanted the thread to remain closed. (I certainly hope it isn't something like 'Oh since the episode has aired having a speculation thread would be illegal' or something. :P) While I didn't really have anything to say about the episode (To be honest, I'm not really interested in this episode.) at such a late stage, it would have been nice to post up a few final thoughts while I wait for the episode information to come through. -_-

Chris
27th January 2005, 8:10 PM
I brought it up in the mod/admin section only to get no response from anyone other than Murg supporting the idea of keeping the spec. threads open until actual summaries are made. :\ We'll try the best we can to get info out as fast as we can.

Factory Head Noland
27th January 2005, 8:34 PM
On their way to Pacifidlog Town, Ash & Co. decide to take a rest. However a Linoone comes and steals May's Pokéballs and runs off with them. Angry about this May chases after the Linoone. Will she get her balls back?
Haha sorry I couldn't resist!

What time did this episode air at? Has anyone seen it yet?

I think the spec thread should still be open...

JazzJazz
27th January 2005, 8:39 PM
Unless you've seen the episode or read the episode guide that will inevitably be posted on the main site, don't post in this thread. If you want to speculate on what might happen, go to the Speculation Thread (http://www.serebiiforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=52392) over in the Anime Spoilers forum.

Surely we're allowed to ask questions about the content of the episode or comment on what other posters have said about the episode... am I wrong?

Murgatroyd
27th January 2005, 8:47 PM
Haha sorry I couldn't resist!

What time did this episode air at? Has anyone seen it yet?

I think the spec thread should still be open...
It aired at 7:30 PM Thursday in Japan. I also think the spec thread should be open, but Serebii's the one who makes the final decision.

Surely we're allowed to ask questions about the content of the episode or comment on what other posters have said about the episode... am I wrong?
Only after there's something to respond to. We're getting sick and tired of people asking questions and building on each other's posts before anyone actually knows anything about the episode.

V Faction
27th January 2005, 9:07 PM
So that means this post and all previous posts are off-topic. Now that's efficiency!

Damn this makes no sense. Oh, well I guess the episode should just be dropped off of the site for the time being. "Huh, Linoone? Why, whatever do you mean...."

Almighty Zard
27th January 2005, 9:57 PM
serebii could be sick, maybe that's why he closed it early so he would not have to do it later.

Tamer Zack
27th January 2005, 10:05 PM
serebii could be sick, maybe that's why he closed it early so he would not have to do it later.

Other mods who are active will close it to save him the trouble.

Geodude
28th January 2005, 6:52 AM
Just finished watching this ep. A few preliminary thoughts:

-You know that attack that we all thought was most likely Shock Wave? Well, we were WRONG! Surprised? I was. It was actually Water Pulse. This proves that unlike Surf, Water Pulse does NOT require the Pokemon to be in water in order for it to work.

-And remember the purple rings around Seviper's and Cacnea's eyes? As I suspected from how Grovyle looked in the previous episode, they were confused--due to the aforementioned Water Pulse.

-Some nice animation overall in this ep, I paricularly liked the part where Pikachu repeatedly jumped back to avoid Seviper's Poison Tail...reminded me of the Bellossom episode when Pikachu battled Victreebel and did about the same thing.

-And yes, the Linoone belongs to that kid.

Golden Darkness
28th January 2005, 6:56 AM
There was an interesting mention of Ash's Charizard, most specifically how it was disobediant I believe.

Geodude
28th January 2005, 7:04 AM
There was an interesting mention of Ash's Charizard, most specifically how it was disobediant I believe.
Right, how could I forget that? I think Ash was talking about how Linoone's misbehaving reminded him of how his Charizard used to be. But he looked pretty proud at one point when he was talking about it, so did he talk about how it now behaves or something? I couldn't figure that out.

Murgatroyd
28th January 2005, 7:16 AM
Incredible variety of rare items that Linoone had collected. (http://homepage.mac.com/murgatroyd314/items.jpg)

Nice to hear the full version of "Ready Go".

Good TR action. (http://homepage.mac.com/murgatroyd314/konran.jpg)

And a great scene featuring the line "go get that ball!"

Chris
28th January 2005, 7:21 AM
Jeez, I wish they'd stick to ONE look. x_X That Water Pulse looked alot more like an electric attack. And Geodude, this wouldn't be the first time it's been used away from water. Kodora has used it on the Rocket Gang when they tried stealing Haruka's and the mother Coordinator's ribbons. The attack came from underground, though.

Geodude
28th January 2005, 7:28 AM
Yeah I know...at the time I suspected that they knew something about an underground spring in the area, but I'm probably mistaken...but this time, we actually see the attack being generated, so it's hard proof.

Chris
28th January 2005, 7:31 AM
True. Still kinda ticked that they keep changing the dang look of Water Pulse. o_O First its like a blue light ball, then like actual water formed into a ball, and now it looks too remarkably like Shock Wave considering the previews lead us on to believe it had electricity forming around it. x_x YOU FOOLED ME AGAIN, ANIMATORS! *shakes his fist*

frednmethod
28th January 2005, 9:34 AM
So how did May get her pokeballs back? Does the Linoone just give them to her?

The Big Al
28th January 2005, 1:45 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the Quagsire Episode all over again. I guess after after an arc of great episodes they'd have to make a crapper. At least the next one looks promising.

Sharpshooter
28th January 2005, 1:51 PM
Wahey! They actually bothered to call Professor Oak for once! Presumably it's to gloat about his 8 badges he's now got. It was unique the way the animators designed the motto for the Team Rocket background, Jesse looked more like a statue in that picture.

Any other highlights? Linoone saves the day I guess, pretty typical layout for the have the star Pokémon to save the show, so no suprises there then.

Overall nice but regular, still trying to get hold of a downloadable copy, sites*cough* where I originally get them from don't have it lol.

Korobooshi Kojiro
28th January 2005, 2:01 PM
Well, I did notice that alll the items Linoone had in the tree, were items you can get from wild Pokemon!

So, why did Ash puff his cheeks up?

Sharpshooter
28th January 2005, 2:11 PM

He was impersonating Linoone, the Pokémon who stole May's Pokéballs - i.e. tellling her what it looked like presumably.

Korobooshi Kojiro
28th January 2005, 3:35 PM
My god, the TR Motto looks awesome in this episode. They look so cool when their posing and a realistic looking face behind them. Then they puffed up their cheeks! Also, I noticed the Trees in the BG looked really good, seems the animation is improving. And is the girl and fat guy in love?

And Oak actually appears! Too bad we didn't see Ash's pokemon. This episode definately looks like a good filler!

Alfonso
28th January 2005, 3:42 PM
My god, the TR Motto looks awesome in this episode. They look so cool when their posing and a realistic looking face behind them. Then they puffed up their cheeks! Also, I noticed the Trees in the BG looked really good, seems the animation is improving. And is the girl and fat guy in love?

And Oak actually appears! Too bad we didn't see Ash's pokemon. This episode definately looks like a good filler!

Or Tracey, for that matter. Seriously, you would think the very small amount of times Ash calls Professor Oak these days, that Tracey would pop up at some point and say hello. Or at least appear in the background. (Although, I suspect that the 'Tracey' that was in 'Going Apricorn' was really a cardboard cutout, and that Tracey was elsewhere... getting ready for Oak. Well, he is his ASSistant, after all. XD Or hell, at least DJ Mary.)

Geodude
28th January 2005, 4:09 PM
So how did May get her pokeballs back? Does the Linoone just give them to her?
Linoone dropped them when it was caught in TR's net.

Yeah as mentioned, he was saying something like "Did it have big puffy cheeks like this?"

ZoraJolteon
28th January 2005, 5:09 PM
So Linoone had a Kings Rock, both DeepSeaThings, Thick Club, Stick, Blue Shard, and some things I can't identify. Possibly a Fluffy Tail?

Geodude
28th January 2005, 5:24 PM
Yeah I think that's a Fluffy Tail. Brock held up a Dragon Fang as well.

BD25
28th January 2005, 5:31 PM
Is it me or do the pink candies in that shot right after the assorted berries shot remind you of Rare Candy? Is this the first time Rare Candy has been shown? And was it mentioned? Sorry hehe

I'm surprised they'd show a Dragon Fang because if Linoone could manage to get one, then what's the point of Clair guarding one in Blackthorn...

The animation with Thick Club (that's what it was right?) was nice. This was a good episode in my opinion. They showcased hold items and stuff =D Plus, Linoone = cute

Geodude
28th January 2005, 5:38 PM
Probably the one in Blackthorn was special due to that ceremony thing, but there are others that are, like, normal. :p

Torkoal Stu
28th January 2005, 6:02 PM
So Linoone had a Kings Rock, both DeepSeaThings, Thick Club, Stick, Blue Shard, and some things I can't identify. Possibly a Fluffy Tail?

Wow, most of those haven't been in anime only the games! Anyway the pics are looking good! is it me or has the style drawing changed(much better) than it was in the last few eps!

Geodude
28th January 2005, 6:18 PM
What are you talking about? The Blue Shard is the only one from the list he gave that hasn't been seen, but we saw Green Shards in the Relicanth ep so that's close enough. Almost everything in there has been seen already except the Fluffy Tail.

Torkoal Stu
28th January 2005, 6:23 PM
What are you talking about? The Blue Shard is the only one from the list he gave that hasn't been seen, but we saw Green Shards in the Relicanth ep so that's close enough. Almost everything in there has been seen already except the Fluffy Tail.

what! really? (well i havent seen every ep!) When?

Gravy
28th January 2005, 6:26 PM
Wow, most of those haven't been in anime only the games! Anyway the pics are looking good! is it me or has the style drawing changed(much better) than it was in the last few eps!
If so its nothing new. Theres always a different animation team used for pretty much every episode. Sometimes the differences are pretty subtle, but other times you notice the difference of style, be it bad or good~ The best animation team seems to have a very different style to most others. Look at episodes such as "Thats Flower Power!", "Exploud & Clear" and "Groudon vs.Kyogre Part 1" for example~ Its easy to distinguish when compared to most other episodes...
.......buuuut, that was completly off-topic, so I'd best be quiet now ^^;;

I have little to say concerning the episode itself. Just by looking at the images it comes across as being rather boring imo. A few amusing expressions and the appearence of some rare items appears to be just about the only thing going for this episode >.>; Personally, I think its a real shame that Nikolai didn't make an apperence in this one. Just seems like a wasted opportunity if you ask me...

Geodude
28th January 2005, 6:27 PM
what! really? (well i havent seen every ep!) When?
Various episodes. Don't make a blanket statement saying something hasn't appeared in the anime if you haven't got the knowledge to back it up. -_-

Torkoal Stu
28th January 2005, 6:33 PM
Various episodes. Don't make a blanket statement saying something hasn't appeared in the anime if you haven't got the knowledge to back it up. -_-

Sorry! But that is going off topic(sorry for changing the topic) It was a shock wave attack right?

Brinstar
28th January 2005, 6:34 PM
No, it was a Water Pulse attack. Just as Geodude reported a few posts earlier >_>

Chris
28th January 2005, 8:06 PM
I have little to say concerning the episode itself. Just by looking at the images it comes across as being rather boring imo. A few amusing expressions and the appearence of some rare items appears to be just about the only thing going for this episode >.>; Personally, I think its a real shame that Nikolai didn't make an apperence in this one. Just seems like a wasted opportunity if you ask me...
Contrary to popular belief, it's actually a GOOD episode. o_o Pictures alone do no justice.

I think it woulda been nice if they had enough time to have Kojirou ask Chiriin to use Heal Bell to snap Sabonea and Habunake back into their normal states while running around from the Haze and Pin Missile attacks. XD Yanno, to at least make the battle a little longer until Pikachu and Massuguma use Thunderbolt. Woulda given Chiriin SOMETHING to do rather than float there and look cute. >.>

Here are the items that were found that Massuguma picked up (and I'm not referring to the Pick Up ability x_X):

-Thick Club
-Soothe Bell
-Dragon Fang
-Stick
-DeepSeaScale
-DeepSeaTooth
-King's Rock
-Blue Shard
-Fluffy Tail

Missingno. Master
28th January 2005, 8:45 PM
Contrary to popular belief, it's actually a GOOD episode. o_o Pictures alone do no justice.

I think it woulda been nice if they had enough time to have Kojirou ask Chiriin to use Heal Bell to snap Sabonea and Habunake back into their normal states while running around from the Haze and Pin Missile attacks. XD Yanno, to at least make the battle a little longer until Pikachu and Massuguma use Thunderbolt. Woulda given Chiriin SOMETHING to do rather than float there and look cute. >.>

Here are the items that were found that Massuguma picked up (and I'm not referring to the Pick Up ability x_X):

-Thick Club
-Soothe Bell
-Dragon Fang
-Stick
-DeepSeaScale
-DeepSeaTooth
-King's Rock
-Blue Shard
-Fluffy Tail
Actually, out of all those items, King's Rock is the only item that can be gotten by Pickup.

Did Linoone use any other attacks?

Gryphon Turboclaw
28th January 2005, 8:55 PM

Don't you mean "before Pikachu and Linoone use Thunder*drake*"? (Shades of Ash's first battle with Sabrina here, only with Ash helping out in dispensing indiscriminate justice on the opposition instead of the other way around!) When was the last time *that* phenomenon manifested itself?

-Thick Club
-Soothe Bell
-Dragon Fang
-Stick
-DeepSeaScale
-DeepSeaTooth
-King's Rock
-Blue Shard
-Fluffy Tail

$_$!!! One thing for sure, Linoone would definitely be a useful assistant for a treasure hunter(with the proper training)!

TeddiUrsa
28th January 2005, 8:58 PM
I likedthe scene at the beginning, when haruka told takeshi and masato about her stolen pokeballs and masato shouts out something like "it must havebeen team rocket!" and the rocket trio suddenly awakes behind some bushes..so funny ^^

Chris
28th January 2005, 9:00 PM
The attack was Thunderbolt. >_> It just turned into the form of a dragon. e_e;

And yes, I know Pick Up can grab a King's Rock, but there wasn't any indication of it using Pick Up at all in the episode.

As for attacks, all it used was Water Pulse and Thunderbolt.

And you're not the only one who noticed Massuguma could make a useful treasure hunter. Nyaasu had the idea of having it give Sakaki presents galore. XD

Geodude
28th January 2005, 9:02 PM
As for attacks, all it used was Water Pulse and Thunderbolt.

And Slash to cut the net Pikachu was in.

Bulba the Great!
28th January 2005, 9:18 PM
I think among the items was also a Lucky Punch...but I could have been wrong. Look...

http://filb.greenchu.de/extras/ag112/145.jpg

Is that a Lucky Punch on the right?

Cheers!
~Bulby ;001;

V Faction
28th January 2005, 9:20 PM
Wait, where exactly have we seen Soothe Bell? Or Stick? Or Thick Club? Don't tell me Farfetch'd or Marowak for those last two. I can't recall an episode where those were explicitly mentioned by name.

Heh... Water Pulse. Strike One (or two maybe) for some of us.

And confusion.... So Silly Confusion = Eye Swirl and Evil Confusion = Eye Slit now? Bleh.

I likedthe scene at the beginning, when haruka told takeshi and masato about her stolen pokeballs and masato shouts out something like "it must havebeen team rocket!" and the rocket trio suddenly awakes behind some bushes..so funny ^^
Ha! How great. They deserve it anyway.

Bulba the Great!
28th January 2005, 9:37 PM
Never mind, I'm pretty sure that was the Soothe Bell. From the way it was set, it looked like a Lucky Punch. Whoops.

Cheers!
~Bulby ;001;

Chris
28th January 2005, 10:13 PM
And Slash to cut the net Pikachu was in.
Since no attack was exactly specified, I guess we could assume it it was Slash. But then again, we can also assume it just used its claws normally. It's up in the aire with that one. o.o

Alfonso
28th January 2005, 10:19 PM
Since no attack was exactly specified, I guess we could assume it it was Slash. But then again, we can also assume it just used its claws normally. It's up in the aire with that one. o.o

I reckon it was just using its claws. Just like Bulbasaur dug underground in 'Bulbasaur the Ambassodor', but wasn't dig. And how bird Pokemon fly without using Fly. You know?

Eh, Seviper and Cacnea fighting again. (The first time being in the Tag Battle episode, where Seviper was using Wrap on Cacnea. Well, it was either wrap, or a very strange form of Pokemon lovemaking.) I know it was because of confusion, but... -_- I want some Habuneashipping crap, dammit! (Seviper x Cacnea. I named it AGES ago. Seriously. A few episodes after the Seviper episode aired in Japan. Yes, that long ago. o.o)

The Big Al
28th January 2005, 10:33 PM
I'm brain is now scarred with the image of Seviper and Cacnea doing the dirty deed. You people are bad for a mental health.

GreenKirby
29th January 2005, 3:40 AM
Last week's scary picture of May scared me away from the site.

Geodude
29th January 2005, 5:44 AM
Wait, where exactly have we seen Soothe Bell? Or Stick? Or Thick Club? Don't tell me Farfetch'd or Marowak for those last two. I can't recall an episode where those were explicitly mentioned by name.

Those items weren't mentioned by name in this episode either, IIRC. Oh, right, Soothe Bell...never clued in on what that was. You're right, that one hasn't been seen yet.

Gravy
29th January 2005, 11:58 AM

Oh? Methinks I shall go and downl...I mean, obtain it afterall then. 'Tis usually the series of pictures that puts me off getting episodes ^^;

And I agree with the whole Chimecho thing. Seriously, people complain about Wobbuffet being useless, but it seems to do a lot more than Chimecho has ever done ie. floating around randomly and blinding James occassionally. I do actually like Chimecho a lot, but there just doesn't seem to be any real point to him/her being there~

lol XDXD....*ahem* Bless XP

Space Skitty
29th January 2005, 7:01 PM
I'm a little late, I know... ^.^;;

I thought it was cool seeing all those items on the anime, the Soothe Bell in particular. Linoone was big! O.O May's expressions were really funny. This episode looked good.

JazzJazz
29th January 2005, 8:51 PM
And I agree with the whole Chimecho thing. Seriously, people complain about Wobbuffet being useless, but it seems to do a lot more than Chimecho has ever done ie. floating around randomly and blinding James occassionally. I do actually like Chimecho a lot, but there just doesn't seem to be any real point to him/her being there~

The writers probably have it there simply for some light comic relief... but it's the same story with all of Team Rocket's pokemon, where they're awesome when first captured and soon lose their lustre.

Gryphon Turboclaw
30th January 2005, 2:31 AM

X_X Do I even want to know what you're referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Faction

Those items weren't mentioned by name in this episode either, IIRC. Oh, right, Soothe Bell...never clued in on what that was. You're right, that one hasn't been seen yet.

No mention of a Lucky Punch, Macho Brace, or Shoal Bell, either? Rats. I'm kind of surprised there weren't more kinds of Shards, though...

Geodude
30th January 2005, 6:20 AM
And confusion.... So Silly Confusion = Eye Swirl and Evil Confusion = Eye Slit now? Bleh.
I wouldn't call it an eye slit...more like purple rings around the eyes.

Heracross
30th January 2005, 7:52 AM
I agree that Chiriin really needs an actual role badly. Sonansu is already the designated randomly appearing pokémon, they don't really need two. Not to mention Kojirou could definately use Chiirin since Sabonea is his only other pokémon and he relies on it constantly, whereas Musashi has some to choose from.

Er anyway, the episode itself was pretty good. It was a nice debut for Massuguma and it was also nice to hear them mention Satoshi's Lizardon. They used that one version of the Rocket-Dan theme again, which was cool because I like that piece for some reason.XP I also like the music they used at the end of the episode, I though it gave it a Kantoish vibe.

frednmethod
30th January 2005, 5:14 PM
I just saw the episode and it was fairly good.

We get to see LOTS of funny expressions from May (especially after Pikachu gave her that bone), and that sound she made after she cleaned her pokeballs was good to hear. It was like 'mmmm' or something.

I wish Ash had used some of his other pokemon though.

Intimidator
9th April 2005, 9:10 AM
I downloaded a BT of the episode...the part where Pika and Linoone use Thunder was savage.

suavesky
13th October 2005, 2:26 AM
if she wasn't a main character she wouldn't catch anything

V Faction
4th February 2006, 3:40 PM
Boy. My old posts suck.

I've got to hand a LOT more credit to this episode than before. Animation was fantastic.

WaterDragon trainer
4th February 2006, 3:42 PM
This episode was pretty good. Linoone was awesome. It seemed pretty cute when it was a Zigzagoon. The boss fantasy was meh. I thought it was hilarious when Pikachu gave may the bone and she started freaking out. Also, when Cacnea and Seviper attacked TR was funny. TR with a second ballon!? That was a surprise.

Akane
4th February 2006, 4:13 PM
This was a really awesome epsiode! I loved the animation! When Linoone did a Water Pluse...I was like...wow...that was the first time I seen that attack! =O And when Timmy(I can't spell his name...)try to make him get Team Rocket thinking their balloon was a Pokeball. It still wanted to play. XD It was cool. It was cute when it was a Zigzagoon. ^^ And of course Pikachu and Linoone used a powerful thunder attack...awesome!

10/10

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
4th February 2006, 4:20 PM
Wow, the animation was marvelous in this episode =D Linoone looks so much better in the animé than the games.

I noticed lots of famous scenes from this ep. There were the Avatar scenes with Jessie and James, the Zigzagoon holding the Pokéball, and the infamous scene of May bent over and looking for her Pokéballs.

I loved the facial expressions in this episode, but I suppose that goes hand-in-hand with the superb animation.

Charizard reference. Who'd've thought? o_o Interesting, though, how Max noted on Charizard's behavior when he never actually saw it.

I found it funny that Timmy's(is it really Timmy? Because, for some reason, I couldn't tell if it was Jimmy or Timmy) family had spherical faces and Linoone liked round things. Amusing xD

I liked the backstory to Token(nice name, BTW. Better than Bean the Politoed ¬_¬). I don't blame Timmy, Linoone looked rather feral when it wasn't happy. It's the eyes, I guess.

Whoa, did anyone else see the Silver Wing inside that tree stump? Token is one heck of a collector :o

I liked the romance scene between Timmy's parents and Timmy's reaction to it XD.

Cacnea forget to use its brilliant Pin Missile in this episode ;~; Oh well, Who, What, Where, When, Wynaut? has it using its new Pin Missile.

They used the same confusion expression from Adan's battle: the little purple/pink mark beneath the eyes. W00t to continuity :)

Overall rating:
9.5 out of 10
A Hoenn filler at its best. Good plot and awe-inspiring animation.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

The Big Al
4th February 2006, 4:42 PM
Maybe they should have called Token Klepto. An interesting episode that gave us a look at the held items.

The Phantom Thief
4th February 2006, 5:14 PM
[CENTER]

Charizard reference. Who'd've thought? o_o Interesting, though, how Max noted on Charizard's behavior when he never actually saw it.

[CENTER]

I noticed that also. How would Max know about Charizard's behavior when he was never in Kanto, Orange Isalnds or Johto? Where did that come from?

WaterDragon trainer
4th February 2006, 5:19 PM
Max probably knew about Charizard's problem when Ash told him about it. Afterall, if they are traveling together, it could get boring so they probably tell each other their life story or something.

halloweenghost
4th February 2006, 5:27 PM
Geez... I cannt beleive you had to question how Max knew abut charizard's behavior..... I mean,..wow.... do you not think they tell stories and talk while on the road?

CyberCubed
4th February 2006, 5:42 PM
I love how the new animation makes all the attacks look much more exciting, from Water Pulse to that double Dragon Thunderbolt attack.

Nice to see Ash still keep in contact with Prof. Oak, we hardly see him anymore. Whoa, a Charizard reference? I wasn't expecting Ash to mention Charizard in this episode.

Aw, May gets awfully excited when her stuff gets taken. Loved the scene where the electricty shoots behind her and the other scene where she steps on Ash.

Hell, all those objects were from the games. Thick Club, Kings Rock, Soothe bell, nice to see them in the show.

CyberCubed
4th February 2006, 5:44 PM
I noticed that also. How would Max know about Charizard's behavior when he was never in Kanto, Orange Isalnds or Johto? Where did that come from?

Um, did you watch AG3?

Max watched Ash's Johto league matches on TV. The first thing Max said to Ash when they met is about the battle between Harrison's Blaziken and Ash's Charizard.

This was great continuity from the very third episode of AG.

The Phantom Thief
4th February 2006, 6:15 PM
Um, did you watch AG3?

Max watched Ash's Johto league matches on TV. The first thing Max said to Ash when they met is about the battle between Harrison's Blaziken and Ash's Charizard.

This was great continuity from the very third episode of AG.

You didn't read my post correctly. The key word was Behavior. And to answer your question, Yes I did see "There's No Place Like Hoenn". I have it on DVD. But even though Max saw Charizard in the battle against Harrison's Blaziken, He NEVER saw Charizard use Flamethrower on Ash or much less knows about the way Charizard behaved before it finally trusted Ash.

PDL
4th February 2006, 6:33 PM
you know, Ash could have very easily talked about the pokemon he owns to May and Max offscreen... inbetween episodes and such...

CyberCubed
4th February 2006, 6:42 PM
Well at the very least, we know Max "saw" Ash's Charizard on TV.

And we know that Ash told May and Max about their Pokemon. Remember the episode where May caught Bulbasaur?

Ash said something like, "It reminds me of mine."

and May replies, "That's right! You have a Bulbasaur too don't you?"

We've never seen Ash actually tell May he has a Bulbasaur, yet in the episode where she gets her own, she knows that. Therefore, he told her off screen.

V Faction
4th February 2006, 6:49 PM
On a side note, Max is an accomplished magician off-screen.

Medea
4th February 2006, 6:51 PM
Well, this episode was okay. It wasn't bad but then again, it wasn't the greatest. Good to see Linoone get some screen time and enjoyed seeing Zigzagoon (even for a little tiny bit)

Inkan1969
4th February 2006, 6:57 PM
Aha, so THIS is the episode that has that fanservice shot of May that keeps getting posted on the picture threads. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Pokemon_Veteran/AG113-05.jpg

( Thanks to whoever runs this big screenshot album. )

I hope Ash got the license number of that Linoone. :)

S.Suikun
4th February 2006, 7:23 PM
Hate to be the voice of descent here, but man, this was one of the worst episodes in the entirety of AG. Why, why, WHY did they have to use the good animation team on such a mediocre episode? Really, outside of a one-second shot of the held items, this episode brought nothing new to the table, and felt like nothing more than a typical Johto filler with a featured Pokemon in trouble, a boring filler character (I heard him being referred to as Kimmi, which I thought was a girl's name), a dull TR battle, and PotD saving the day. Good thing there were two new eps today, or this would have been a waste of getting up early on a Saturday morning.

CyberCubed
4th February 2006, 7:43 PM
Aha, so THIS is the episode that has that fanservice shot of May that keeps getting posted on the picture threads. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Pokemon_Veteran/AG113-05.jpg

( Thanks to whoever runs this big screenshot album. )

I hope Ash got the license number of that Linoone. :)

Ah yes, I remember someone saying how the animators actually took the time to draw the curve in her butt, rather than making it a round circle.

See, May's breasts aren't the only feature on her body that the animators give attention to! God bless them.

fhqwhgads
4th February 2006, 7:51 PM
Because, for some reason, I couldn't tell if it was Jimmy or Timmy
Wanna know why? It was Kimmy>_> Yes, Kimmy>_<...Kimmy<_< I had captioning on O.o

Inkan1969
4th February 2006, 8:02 PM
Ah yes, I remember someone saying how the animators actually took the time to draw the curve in her butt, rather than making it a round circle.

Nonetheless May's looking pretty "round" there. I'm surprised Linoone didn't try to pick HER up. ;)

Poké_Master
4th February 2006, 11:19 PM
I missed that scene............. oh, well. I taped it :)

Kamex
5th February 2006, 1:42 AM
Kimmy? Why'd they go and pull a Tabitha on us?

Anyway, this was a rather interesting episode for me. Seriously, even though this is about as filler as you can get, I enjoyed it more than usual for some reason...

Notice the round faces on all the whole family? Did that mean something, or was it for more uniqueness?

Funny how Linoone was able to jump all the way onto the Rocket balloon. Heh.

Not much else to say... 7/10.

Thriller
5th February 2006, 2:50 AM
Interesting episode.

Kimmy? I have heard of boys named Kim but never saw that coming.

I liked the references to numorous items, too bad they didn't have time to describe them all. And of course they didn't identify the berries Kimmy tossed aside. You know, I wonder if Brock still has that list given to him in the Lotad episode.

I LOVED how they gave the filler Pokemon of the day a nickname. Was this a dub only thing? I wish more filler Pokemon were given nicknames.

I think that after Token evolved, Kimmy thought it matured and didn't want to play any more, he was wrong. Proves that evolution DOESN'T ruin a Pokemons playful personallity Like Ash's Donphan

Wouldn't it be dangerous to play fetch with a Pokeball? Yes its hard to choke on one but Token could have triggered its return device.

It was nice to see they gave a distinct sign to Seviper and Cacnea after they got confused.

My rating 8.5/10

CyberCubed
5th February 2006, 3:38 AM
The whole family was chubby. Their faces were totally round, that's all I thought about the entire time they were on screen.

Infinite Master Sceptile
5th February 2006, 9:06 AM
I loved that whole family, especially the parents. It was so funny when they found that ring, and went all lovey-dovey.
Tokin was just plain awesome.
On a side note, this episode pretty much broke all the laws of gravity in one fell swoop. Maybe someone needs to develop a special theory of cartoon physics.
Excellent filler, though why they put a good animation team on this episode but not on some ones that needed it is beyond me.

ChaosMage
5th February 2006, 11:50 AM
Good episode, and Token was a great PotD. I think some of us never gave this episode a chance because we wanted Nicolai to appear in it. Good times, good times...

Envay, it was really well animated, foreshadowed Snorunt's training for the first time, even if he wasn't directly referred to. Is it the Donphan episode where it starts Beamin' and 'Volvin'?

Funny characters, and some cool avatar-scenes which I never realised came from this episode. One of the better Hoenn fillers.

Black Marauder
5th February 2006, 12:11 PM
Cool episode, like ChasoMage said, t'was was one of the better Hoenn fillers :)

S.Suikun
5th February 2006, 7:45 PM
Wanna know why? It was Kimmy>_> Yes, Kimmy>_<...Kimmy<_< I had captioning on O.o
His Japanese name was Keima, but I'd thought they'd go for something that wasn't so similar, like Kenny. To be honest, this is the first time I've heard "Kim" used as a boy's name.

Pokemon Fan
6th February 2006, 2:30 AM
Hate to be the voice of descent here, but man, this was one of the worst episodes in the entirety of AG. Why, why, WHY did they have to use the good animation team on such a mediocre episode? Really, outside of a one-second shot of the held items, this episode brought nothing new to the table, and felt like nothing more than a typical Johto filler with a featured Pokemon in trouble, a boring filler character (I heard him being referred to as Kimmi, which I thought was a girl's name), a dull TR battle, and PotD saving the day. Good thing there were two new eps today, or this would have been a waste of getting up early on a Saturday morning.
So the clever lines and hilarious scenes weren't worth anything?

<><><>

One of my favorite parts:

Dexette: "It can run up to sixty miles per hour, but has trouble on turns." *we proceed to see Token take a turn and destroy a fence as it does so*

Aptenodytes
6th February 2006, 5:04 AM
This was a cool episode. Reminds me of when ash got charizard ^.^ Linoone looks better in the anime than in the games in my opinion.

Geodude
7th February 2006, 3:34 AM
I LOVED how they gave the filler Pokemon of the day a nickname. Was this a dub only thing? I wish more filler Pokemon were given nicknames.
Yes, in fact the Japanese nickname was pretty much exactly the same...just pronounced differently. I spelled it "Tokin" when I wrote the synopsis for this ep (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/389.shtml). It's pronounced "toh-KEEN". (Serebii made a typo in the synopsis link in the first page of this topic, I just gave the correct link.)

On another note, you guys notice how what the narrator says at the ends of the episodes is often kinda...generic? Well, I liked what he said for this one:

"Yes, Pokemon evolve, and their trainers grow older. But while everything changes, one thing remains true always: Friends can be friends forever, and even if they seem a little different, sometimes you have to look with your heart, and not your eyes."

No generic stuff about the experiences the group came away with and crap like that, just a nice closing statement. That should happen more often.

Poké_Master
7th February 2006, 4:01 AM
Hear, Hear!

And I find it odd that Serebii has Tokin's dub name in the guide but not the family's... (Kimmy, Korban, and Harmony Shoney). I guess they decided to use Tokin's Japanese name instead of thinking up some crappy name

Kamex
7th February 2006, 11:46 PM
On another note, you guys notice how what the narrator says at the ends of the episodes is often kinda...generic? Well, I liked what he said for this one:

"Yes, Pokemon evolve, and their trainers grow older. But while everything changes, one thing remains true always: Friends can be friends forever, and even if they seem a little different, sometimes you have to look with your heart, and not your eyes."

No generic stuff about the experiences the group came away with and crap like that, just a nice closing statement. That should happen more often.
Yes, I noticed that. It was nice to hear the narrator say that.

BTW, it seems everybody's pretty much totally gotten over the change of narrators. I mean, I got used to it by the end of the Dewford episodes, but now everyone's seemed to forget the old guy. I kinda miss him, but it's nothing to complain about.

V Faction
8th February 2006, 12:17 AM

I'm glad you noticed the genericness of the narrator's ending comments at every episode. Hell, they kept using the same bland thing over and over. I think they probably just got a little tired of the sameness feeling that some episodes had going.

Still, they don't have to make every closure seem epic and deep. The older narrator had comedic lines of all kinds.

Alfonso
8th February 2006, 12:22 AM
I'm glad you noticed the genericness of the narrator's ending comments at every episode. Hell, they kept using the same bland thing over and over. I think they probably just got a little tired of the sameness feeling that some episodes had going.

Still, they don't have to make every closure seem epic and deep. The older narrator had comedic lines of all kinds.

Ah yes... him.

Gotta love a guy who follows around a group of pre-teens who on the road to adventure, are struggling with their own personal feelings of sexual enlightenment...

Indeed.

Geodude
8th February 2006, 12:25 AM
I wonder how much control he has over what he gets to say? After all, he's the only character whose dialogue isn't constrained by lip movements.

Alfonso
8th February 2006, 12:27 AM
I wonder how much control he has over what he gets to say? After all, he's the only character whose dialogue isn't constrained by lip movements.

Mike probably just gets given lines by the people who dub the script.

V Faction
8th February 2006, 12:39 AM
Yup. That's why I'm thinking the ending lines all started sounding the same/sounded boring. As much as I admire them, 4Kids! isn't exactly known for its originality.

"Let's Go!"

Geodude
8th February 2006, 1:32 AM
We should make some sort of acknowledgement thread or something for episodes that had nice lines/quotes by the narrator. This one would definitely be one of them.

FlamingRuby
8th February 2006, 1:34 AM
Highlights;

--May panicing
--Team Rocket's first appearance of the episode
--The Double Thunderbolt
--The narrator's spiel at the end

wobbanut
9th February 2006, 12:19 AM
This was a pretty interesting episode, though Cacnea and Seviper getting confused and attacking TR was more than a little disturbing for me. I did like the barely-seen moment of Wobbuffet using counter while pin missiles are raining down around TR (he is glowing :D ). My two favorite moments of the episode had to be May freaking out about the bone (best moment so far this whole season!) and Korban and Harmony rejoicing about Harmony finding her ring. LOL I loved the linoone in this episode too. Linoone, furret, and mightyena are really underrated pokemon, IMO.

Overall, 8/10, taken down two notches because of Cacnea and Seviper attacking TR.

Geki
22nd February 2006, 6:14 AM
I didn't like this episode that much. I thought it was kind of cheesy, and really boring if you ask me. Linoone was cool, but that's about the only good thing in the episode. This epi also reminds me of that episode back in Johto when Wynaut stole Ash's badges after he defeated Claire.

2/5

Rufinito18
26th February 2006, 6:23 AM
It wasnt bad...but then I have my leg immobilized because i ripped some muscles..so any distraction was welcome

Astinus
26th February 2006, 6:37 AM
Didn't anyone think that the kid - Kimmy? - was slightly dense? Wouldn't he think that his Pokémon was the same on the inside? Did we really need Ash and the crew showing up to tell him that? Poor dense little kid. Or maybe I'm being too harsh.

The episode just falls under the old cliché plotline: Helping a trainer. How many times do we need that? The only good parts were the in-game items.

.Bambi.
4th March 2006, 12:15 AM
Whoa...why didn't I comment for this episode? Then again, I usually don't >.> Ho Well...

At the very beginning of this episode, I must say I was REALLY enjoying myself. I think the part that got me going was when Ash was scanning Token on his PokeDex, and immediately after it said he doesn't take corners well, he smashes into the railing while turning. That was brilliant :)

I also enjoyed when they found all the stuff Token was hoarding, and it was a great reference to otherwise nonexistent items [in anime terms]. However, at the very end, it turned into a generic episode with a lengthy Team Rocket Pokemon Stealing. At least we were rewarded at the end with a confused Seviper/Cacnea showdown.

Ooh, the insanity :rolleyes:

Blizzard
1st April 2006, 6:50 PM
Cliché, run-of-the-mill, more phrases like this could describe this ep....

Ashy Boy
10th June 2006, 9:44 AM
That episode is hilarious especially with Team Rocket when James accidently popped up the balloon which caused them to fall down like crazy and got beaten up because of it

ZTcrazy
23rd June 2006, 6:47 PM
This wasn't my favourite filler of the season, and Hoenn fillers are generally quite interesting. Apart from some of TR's funny lines, that was it really. Linoone having some surprise attacks was quite cool though. But I've seen better. Sorry if this counts as bumping, I'm not sure if you're allowed to talk about an episode that hasn't been talked about in awhile...

Battra
10th January 2007, 10:32 PM
A good episode, certainly interesting to see all the stuff Token collected, it was really funny to see May's reaction when Pikachu handed her a Thick Club. Over all this was a nice feel good episode.

(s.i.e)
24th August 2008, 11:56 AM
another i steal your pokeballs episode, somehow i have the feeling they repeat this kind of thing it's allways ash's hat or something else like in this case may's balls.

Igottapoo
14th January 2009, 7:41 AM
lol at "Will she get her balls back?" :P Anyway, this is a very good episode. It's a great story about a boy and his Linoone. I enjoyed myself.

Littlemyuu
7th March 2009, 8:15 PM
Nice episode, Linoone is a cute Pokemon ^_^

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 4:13 PM
Linnone was very funny, with the pokeball in his mouth....

8/10

Lorde
29th December 2009, 9:03 PM
Not a bad episode, I liked how the mom and dad (I forget their names) were dancing or showing their love, whatever you want to call that. Token was cute. I liked that it hid items in trees and various locations for use at another time. What made that great was that the items were actual in-game items and not just anime-only stuff. This didn't seem to be very Filler-y because of the funny scenes and the cool plot involved. I was impressed. 7/10.

Willow's Tara
16th May 2010, 8:55 AM
Not a bad episode really, I liked the name Token. Quite a few funny scenes, makes you wonder of Korman and Harmony were doing their version of sex (Lol jk) but they were really in love lo.

Why did what his name (The kid) stop playing with Token when it evolved anyway?

G50
9th March 2011, 2:11 PM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see a Linoone in this episode. That Linoone was definitely a thief stealing all those items and May's Pokeballs. I liked the reference to Charizard originally disobeying Ash, with Linoone disobeying in this episode. It was interesting how most of the stolen items were very important Pokemon Hold Items.

21/100

MidnightMelody
9th March 2011, 2:12 PM
Wasn't there a Zatch Bell referenced in this episode?

Vernikova
9th August 2012, 8:19 PM
Oh, they pronounce "Linoone" differently than I do. This was an okay episode. I wasn't really interested in Linoone's problems or its trainer's problems.