PDA

View Full Version : HGSS-On: Tyranitar Prime Deck - "BLACK T"

DaneKevinCook
29th June 2011, 12:19 AM
Here is the deck I plan on running exclusively this season in any legit competition. This is a deck I have had the most consistent wins with and I recently edited it very slightly to make the draw power a bit stronger since that was honestly the only problem I had with it - I kept getting stuck with a small hand mid-game. Before Sam Bender came up with this cleverly awesome name for this dark-type deck, I had been dubbing it the "Counter Deck" since I really focused on countering every popular deck expected to be seen in the new format. The following article is pretty long but I had a lot to say about my favorite deck I've ever run. Check it out:

BLACK T

POKEMON: 21

3 : Tyranitar (Prime), UL-88

2 : Umbreon, UD-10

1 : Mandibuzz, BW-73

2 : Zoroark, BW-71

2 : Pupitar, UL-38

4 : Eevee, UD-48

2 : Zorua, BW-70

4 : Larvitar, UL-50

1 : Vullaby, BW-72

TRAINERS: 25

3 : Pokemon Communication, BW-99

2 : Switch, BW-104

1 : Energy Retrieval, B-81

3 : Rare Candy, UL-82

2 : Junk Arm, TM-87

2 : Energy Exchanger, UD-73

3 : Professor Oak's New Theory, CL-83

2 : Professor Elm's Training Method, CL-82

2 : Sage's Training, CL-85

1 : Twins, TM-89

2 : Pokemon Collector, GS-97

2 : Interviewer's Questions, CL-79

ENERGY: 14

4 : Double Colorless Energy, GS-103

4 : Darkness Energy (sp), UD-79

6 : Darkness Energy, BW-111

This deck is, like I said, the ultimate situational deck. If something arises that you are genuinely worried about, there is almost ALWAYS a way to shut it down. But the default goal of the deck is simple: GET THAT T-TAR OUT! Tyranitar Prime is amazing in my opinion. His first attack (Darkness Howl) takes one energy to do 20 damage to all non-dark type Pokemon. That's amazing since most of my own are already dark type and 20 spread is devastating early game. The second attack (Power Claw) takes a darkness and two colorless (DCE come in here) and does 60 damage. But what's fantastic is that the sub-text explicitly states that Power Claw's damage is never affected by any effect on the defending Pokemon. That means Donphan, Samurot, Scizor Prime, all sleeping baby Pokemon, defenders, ANYTHING defensive is nil to Tyranitar. Keep in mind that he can also use Special Dark Energies for a possible 70 - 90 damage! Every single time, no matter what. Now if that wasn't enough, his THIRD attack (3 attacks on a Prime, whaaa??) does 120 base damage for two darkness and two colorless. With all three energies being special... that's 140. That can 1HKO Donphan, Machamp (if he's been hit by Earthquake already) Magnezone, Zekrom, Reshram... uh... anything except for the monsters that are Wailord and... another T-Tar Prime. Cause... did I mention he has a whopping 160 HP? He is basically the best heavy hitter in the format.

But enough of me gushing my man-crush on T-Tar, he still has weaknesses. The dinosaur has 3 retreat cost, which can suck if he gets poisoned by Crobat or confused by Roserade. Also, he has x2 to fighting type so Donphan, while being no match for a fully powered T-Tar, can set up way faster and can 2HKO it before anything happens. But, like I said, this deck has an answer to all this.

The first tech I have is Mandibuzz. Any deck that focuses on spreading early game needs a Mandibuzz, really. I have only a 1-1 line because I honestly only need one to clean up late game. When I ran 3-3 I kept starting with a Vullaby which is basically useless unless there's already damage on your opponent's field. After T-Tar has been out howling for a bit, Mandibuzz is sitting on the bench with only one darkness energy waiting to clean up. It's a perfect combo of early-mid game prize taking and disruption, then a late-game sweep. Not to mention his second attack can totally take out a half-damaged Machamp, Magnezone, Serperior, etc etc. Any Stage 2 will burn.

The second tech is just the ultimate counter to anything with HUGE costly attacks: Zoroark. If Zekrom comes out zappin', it's pretty easy to get a DCE on a Zoroark and give him a taste of his own medicine. Even better, is when he goes up against a Reshiram; with just one more special dark he can hit him for 130, the magic number, and never even have to discard fire energies. It's great up against a Steelix Prime, Riachu Prime, Ray/Deox Legend... anything that has massive damage output with high cost, all I pay is a DCE. It's not a bad starter either! One darkness energy for ANY card is perfect when all your opponent can do is stay asleep with Cleffa.

The last tech is one of the most overlooked counters in this game: Umbreon! If you look at the Primes that everyone is scooping up and making decks around... EVERY single one has a Pokebody or Pokepower except (wouldn't ya know it) Tyranitar Prime and Crobat Prime. So basically, if I see a Prime... Umbreon is going on the bench. Once that silly Prime takes out my T-Tar, Umbreon can sit in front of them hitting for 30 -50 damage without getting touched while I set up a second dinosaur in back. I have been saved MANY times by Umbreon and I've never understood why people seem to be knocking him in the new format. The only Pokemon with an "Ability" (which Moonlight Fang doesn't mention, voiding the immunity) that can actually 1HKO Umbreon is Samurot with more than 1 water energy attached and MAYBE Kling-Klang on double heads. So he is surprisingly effective to wall almost anything fully evolved. Magneboar's got nothing on me! :-)

Also! The Eevee that I have under Umbreon is the ideal starter. Call for family can put a basic on the bench. More often than not - I'll start with an energy, a rare candy and a T-Tar. Calling for a Larvitar is just a way of saying T-TAR is HERE one turn 2.

As for the T/S/S lines, I focused it on the basics: Search for early set-up on T-Tar, draw power has been greatly improved with Sages Training and Junk Arms. The energy count is pretty good, I hardly ever find myself without enough energy. The DCE is pretty easy to get with Exchanger and it's always nice to have access to weather I want a special or basic energy.

So if you've made it all the way through this long-*** dissertation about this deck, I wanna know what you think. Should I ditch a few cards for something else to make it faster? Is Mandibuzz mandatory (haha) even in such a small line? I have amazing confidence in this deck - I recently pitted it against a Luxchomp deck and it pretty much owned it. I'd say this one is a keeper!

ven?
30th June 2011, 6:00 AM
In a format where there is no power's and bodie's, they're ability's so... umbreon is useless, end of convo there.

personally i'd do this
2 absol prime (early game tech)
4-3-4 tyranitar prime
1-1 zoroark
3-3 scrafty (with zoroark and scrafty you can change the line to best suit you're style of play but yeah)
1-1 weavile UD (tech, power's annoying)
2-2 honchkrow UD (taking advantage of the discard)

4 junk arm, if you have a use for mandibuzz put in more of a 2-2 or 3-3 it has a higher effect rate that way. by the by, this skeleton is nothing but a situation style of play

StarkBarracuda
14th August 2011, 4:53 PM
i love the deck list, and yes, Tyranitar Prime is a complete beast! I have made my Tyranitar Prime deck myself and even though i have not played a game against a good deck yet, i would like to hear some feedback!

Pokemon:

3-1-3 (Tyranitar Prime)
3-3 (Umbreon MF)
2-2 (Scrafty)
1-1 (Liepard)
2 (Cleffa)

Trainer:

3 (Rare Candy)
2 (Pokemon Collect.)
4 (Pokemon Comm.)
4 (Plus Power)
3 (P.O.N.T)
2 (Prof.Juniper)
2 (Switch
2 (Energy Retrival)
2 (Energy Exchanger)
1 (Pokemon Reversal)

Energy:

7 (Dark)
4 (Sp.Dark)
2 (DCE)

So yeah! Leave Feedback!

xScruffyx
16th August 2011, 3:34 AM
In a format where there is no power's and bodie's, they're ability's so... umbreon is useless, end of convo

I do believe in the rule changes for black and white when they introduced it it says that poke powers and bodies will now be known as abilities so im pretty sure umbreon still works for abilities, seeing as the rules say they are the same.

SkittyOnWailord
16th August 2011, 10:45 AM
I do believe in the rule changes for black and white when they introduced it it says that poke powers and bodies will now be known as abilities so im pretty sure umbreon still works for abilities, seeing as the rules say they are the same.

They aren't exactly the same. The are the same as in they work like Poke-Powers and Poke-Bodies used to, but effects that work on Abilities won't work on Powers/Bodies and effects that work on Powers/Bodies won't work on Abilities. But Umbreon will still be good as alot of people are still playing cards like Donphan, Magnezone, Yanmega and Typhlosion.

Charze
21st August 2011, 12:40 AM

SkittyonWailord is right. It says there is no connection between abilities and Poke Bodies and Poke Powers. He may still be good to use considering that alot of hgss cards are still being used

StarkBarracuda
21st August 2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah.. I changed my T-tar deck so that umbreon isnt my secondary anymore. Instead, i use him as a tech against tough decks like Kingdra Prime, Donchamp, and other decks with hgss poke bodies and poke powers. So with some adjustments in my deck, i began playing 3-3 Zoroark, and let me tell you, it works wonders with DCE (Double Colorless Energy)! And the umbreon's moon light fang ONLY works against poke powers and bodies, NOT Abilities on. He still fun to play though. ;D