PDA

View Full Version : What will happen once thundurus is banned?

irock245
4th July 2011, 10:28 PM
Preety much anything could happen, this thread is for speculation. I thinkm zapdos will be OU again. What do you think?

Dragonite0217
5th July 2011, 4:23 AM
Tornadus might be used a bit more, but probably not.

Clubinhand
5th July 2011, 4:29 AM
I think what will happen is deoxys-s will get slightly more out of hand since teams won't be able to just easily stop him from getting up free rocks with prankster taunt while having a very good late game sweeper. Thunderous does a good job of being a solid anti lead while being a serious threat.

BGP_
5th July 2011, 4:37 AM
90% sure we'll find out...
Well, it'll be the last bite smogon will take out of rain teams, well we can only hope...

hallstromjr
5th July 2011, 5:17 AM
Thunderus isnt the only one with Prankster. But we probably will see alot more of Zapdos. I miss the original Electric bird.

Dattebayo
5th July 2011, 5:20 AM
Tornadus will get more usage, and also Zapdos's return to OU.

Tucan9999
5th July 2011, 5:27 AM
I don't think he'll be banned. But if he does Zapdos will definetly be used more. What I really don't understand is why people complain about Thundurus but not Zapdos, they're both easily counterable by the same type.

d0nut
5th July 2011, 5:37 AM
I don't think he'll be banned. But if he does Zapdos will definetly be used more. What I really don't understand is why people complain about Thundurus but not Zapdos, they're both easily counterable by the same type.

Higher speed and access to Nasty Plot and Focus Blast makes Thundurus a much greater threat than Zapdos. He most likely will be banned also.

Zapdos being OU is very likely. I admit, I'll miss abusing Zapdos in UU since he's just so awesome down there. Other Nasty Plot sweepers might also get a chance to shine, though I can't think of many that are good enough to rise to OU. Maybe Celebi or Mew, but that's about it. Some rain teams will also get an open slot for another attacker, possibly even Zapdos, though it won't be quite as effective. Past that, I can't think of much else off the top of my head that would change.

Clubinhand
5th July 2011, 5:45 AM
Thunderus isnt the only one with Prankster. But we probably will see alot more of Zapdos. I miss the original Electric bird.

This is true but the rest are nothing like thunderous really. whimscot and sableye are completely wrecked by opposing taunts and can't just turn around go hey I'm going to sweep you now that ok with you. Tornadus is so much more reliant on being in rain and finds itself being a strictly worse typing offensively and defensively. Zapdos is outclassed offensively by thunderous but I feel he's still remained good enough for ou play regardless.

asterat
5th July 2011, 5:55 AM
Zapodswill be better. I usehim anyway, I can't stand thundurus or at least how retarded he looks. He looks like someone's grandpa on a cloud! Also, I think landorus should be banned.

Tucan9999
5th July 2011, 6:33 AM
Zapodswill be better. I usehim anyway, I can't stand thundurus or at least how retarded he looks. He looks like someone's grandpa on a cloud! Also, I think landorus should be banned.

An Ice Punch or Ice Beam from their respective sweepers will take both of them out.

kaiser soze
5th July 2011, 6:38 AM
this is going to make me look stupid but for the longest time I didnt realize that zapdos slipped to UU because thundurus (for now) outclasses it as an electric-flying poke. I always have a bat habit of forgetting about legendaries because I usually assume theyre uber

asterat
5th July 2011, 1:56 PM
I think latios will be pushed to uber. His Draco meteor is so broken

Dark Sharpedo
5th July 2011, 2:02 PM

I totally disagree.
Latios belongs in OU, because after just 1 Draco Meteor, it is useless. Since most DM Latios are Choice Scarfed, they can only use Draco Meteor and thats all. And with the fact that DM sharply lowers you SpAtk makes it weaker each turn, so your forced to switch out.

asterat
5th July 2011, 2:13 PM
Draco meteor kills everything

BGP_
5th July 2011, 3:34 PM
Latios isn't even a suspect anymore...but maybe he'll become suspect later down the road. He is pretty tough to switch in on (well, sometimes) but he's not that hard to kill. His best weapon is draco meteor, which a steel type, or some really bulky special wall can sponge the blow. And once he uses it, he's probably going to need to switch, so i guess you can call it a free turn to set up. But back to thundurus, I could see zapdos being used more just cuz of thundurus having outclassed him in OU

Kerosene
5th July 2011, 5:14 PM
Thundurus is going to be banned? What's next, Reuniclus? I used to like Smogon, but I might change my mind if they ban him.

Dark Sharpedo
5th July 2011, 5:32 PM

Dude, Draco Meteor only makes a hard hit on someone's poke once or maybe twice. And that is because of the fact that the Sp.Atk lowers on it whenever it uses the move.

Barbeller
5th July 2011, 5:41 PM
Higher speed and access to Nasty Plot and Focus Blast makes Thundurus a much greater threat than Zapdos. He most likely will be banned also.

Zapdos being OU is very likely. I admit, I'll miss abusing Zapdos in UU since he's just so awesome down there. Other Nasty Plot sweepers might also get a chance to shine, though I can't think of many that are good enough to rise to OU. Maybe Celebi or Mew, but that's about it. Some rain teams will also get an open slot for another attacker, possibly even Zapdos, though it won't be quite as effective. Past that, I can't think of much else off the top of my head that would change.
Lol d0nut, forgot about prankster!? :P

I totally disagree.
Latios belongs in OU, because after just 1 Draco Meteor, it is useless. Since most DM Latios are Choice Scarfed, they can only use Draco Meteor and thats all. And with the fact that DM sharply lowers you SpAtk makes it weaker each turn, so your forced to switch out.
No, with a scarf it can use more than just one Draco Meteor. It can also use moves other than Draco Meteor if you hadn't noticed.

When thunderus leaves... I will be happy for one. I think the other legendary tornadoes (forgotten the term lol) will become more popular as well as other pranksters in general, perhaps even boosting assistpard into UU (although assist teams do need careful planning). Zapdos will become OU and some tornadus counters may become UU.

BGP_
5th July 2011, 5:58 PM
Lol d0nut, forgot about prankster!? :P

No, with a scarf it can use more than just one Draco Meteor. It can also use moves other than Draco Meteor if you hadn't noticed.

When thunderus leaves... I will be happy for one. I think the other legendary tornadoes (forgotten the term lol) will become more popular as well as other pranksters in general, perhaps even boosting assistpard into UU (although assist teams do need careful planning). Zapdos will become OU and some tornadus counters may become UU.
Umm...no ****? It's called that -2 sp att from draco meteor that he pointed out, which screws latios if he gets the stat drop

RifleAvenger
5th July 2011, 5:58 PM

Ferrothorn and its steel type buddies beg to differ. Of course, some Latios carry HP fire, and some have life orb over a choice item, but that leaves them open to revenge kills.

It's a powerful pokemon, but w/o soul dew, it's OU.

irock245
5th July 2011, 8:14 PM
wait a minute.... why are you guys talking about latios when the discussion is about thunderus?

zapto369
5th July 2011, 8:42 PM
wait a minute.... why are you guys talking about latios when the discussion is about thunderus?

I was wondering that myself...

3.14kachu
5th July 2011, 10:24 PM
I have a question about Thundurus versus Tornadus. Thundurus is clearly better, so anyone considering Tornadus would use Thundurus instead. Still, they are so similar that nobody would use them both on the same team. Theoretically, that would mean that Tornadus would get zero usage, at least until Thudurus gets banned. So, shouldn't he be NU? I mean, with Tornadus's power it doesn't make sense, but from a purely usage-based standpoint, it works.

This whole usage-based system is just weird. If everyone put a Weedle on their teams, it would technically be OU. And that's just... kind of messed up.

irock245
5th July 2011, 10:34 PM
Thundurus is clearly better, so anyone considering Tornadus would use Thundurus instead.Still, they are so similar that nobody would use them both on the same team.

I would use them both on the same team cuz im wierd like that.

irock245
5th July 2011, 10:42 PM
You know I honesly don't know why whimiscott isn't used more. He has 5 more base speed so he can stop thunder us and resists his stab with some sp def EV"s.

d0nut
5th July 2011, 11:21 PM
I have a question about Thundurus versus Tornadus. Thundurus is clearly better, so anyone considering Tornadus would use Thundurus instead. Still, they are so similar that nobody would use them both on the same team. Theoretically, that would mean that Tornadus would get zero usage, at least until Thudurus gets banned. So, shouldn't he be NU? I mean, with Tornadus's power it doesn't make sense, but from a purely usage-based standpoint, it works.

This whole usage-based system is just weird. If everyone put a Weedle on their teams, it would technically be OU. And that's just... kind of messed up.

Thundurus isn't superior in 100% of ways, therefore Tornadus is still used. Tornadus' STAB Hurricane has great neutral coverage, whereas Thundurus' Electric STAB can invite in things like Ground types for free. They are similar, but the differences are there. They actually can both be used effectively on the same team since they are both top of the line Rain abusers.

cannibaleyes
6th July 2011, 12:36 AM

Personally, I wouldn't say that Thundurus is always better than Tornadus, thus Tornadus is completely useless... Tornadus definitely has his uses and plays differently than Thundarus. For example, Tornadus learns Tailwind and Thundarus doesn't.

Also, I have seen them both used on the same team before.

homestarhydon
6th July 2011, 2:20 AM
... Thundurus is being banned? ... Why? ... When? There is no reason to ban thundurus. Yes, it's threatening. That's why it should be OU. Everything in OU is threatening. But, in my opinion, thundurus is FAR from broken, and even farther from overcentralizing the metagame, which should be the two criteria for banning a pokemon.

ParaChomp
6th July 2011, 2:41 AM
What will happen? I shall sob.

Prankstar 73
6th July 2011, 3:34 AM
If this is because of the Prankster ability, WHIMSICOTT has more of a reason to be banned.
it's got 116 base speed (more than Thundurus, who sits at the slightly less 111.)
It has acess to subseed (Thundurus doesn't)
It has acess to Switcheroo, TauntCore, and Memento as a suicide move
(Does Thundurus? NO.)
and they both have Prankster.
Of course it all depends on the role it need to play.
Outside of annoyance, Whimsicott is almost completely useless.
Thundurus can manage well outside of annoyance and stalling, but that makes his ability almost useless, aside from Nasty Plot and other stat boosters.

of course, I don't WANT that, Whimsicott is my favorite Grass type.

asterat
6th July 2011, 4:39 AM
Except for prankster, I think zapdos outclasses thundurus. And thundurus can't abuse prankster well, so zapdos is better

mudkips
6th July 2011, 5:34 AM
Except for prankster, I think zapdos outclasses thundurus. And thundurus can't abuse prankster well, so zapdos is better

Have you ever considered how thundrus can be an excellent anti-lead, while having higher attacking stats, and more speed than zapdos? Taunt the opposing deyoxys-s, than when it switches out, get a nasty plot up and BAM your opponent dies. He is wayyy to wallbreak-ize in OU. definetly broken.

3.14kachu
6th July 2011, 5:45 AM
Thundurus isn't superior in 100% of ways, therefore Tornadus is still used. Tornadus' STAB Hurricane has great neutral coverage, whereas Thundurus' Electric STAB can invite in things like Ground types for free. They are similar, but the differences are there. They actually can both be used effectively on the same team since they are both top of the line Rain abusers.

Doesn't using Tornadus in Rain invite Thunder users to blast it out of the sky? Still, I get your point, but with very similar movepools and stats, the two of them on the same team is usually not very good synergy (there's the Rock and Ice weakness, for one).

And what about OU Weedle?

MiSeRY BuSiNeSS
6th July 2011, 5:50 AM

Haha you serious? There's no way it will go uber.

d0nut
6th July 2011, 5:59 AM
Doesn't using Tornadus in Rain invite Thunder users to blast it out of the sky? Still, I get your point, but with very similar movepools and stats, the two of them on the same team is usually not very good synergy (there's the Rock and Ice weakness, for one).

And what about OU Weedle?

No one ever uses Thunder on non-Rain teams, so that arguement is for the most part invalid. Thunderbolt is strong enough to KO him anyway, so against anything with either move you will either want to KO them first or switch out. Using both can create the common weaknesses you mentioned, but on a Rain team, there is bound to be Waters which can take Ice moves, plus Ferrothorn can take Rock moves all day. It just takes a bit of simple team building to work them into a team together. Sure it might not be the best idea, but it can still work fairly effectively.

The "Weedle in OU" arguement has been a 'what if' since the dawn of tiering based on usage, but nothing has ever happened, and never will. Unless some troll apocalypse strikes the Smogon server and proves me wrong, there is no way anything stupid as Weedle, or Caterpie, or Magikarp, will ever rise to OU.

TrollFreak
6th July 2011, 7:41 AM
The "Weedle in OU" arguement has been a 'what if' since the dawn of tiering based on usage, but nothing has ever happened, and never will. Unless some troll apocalypse strikes the Smogon server and proves me wrong, there is no way anything stupid as Weedle, or Caterpie, or Magikarp, will ever rise to OU.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………

i now have a idea XD

TrollFreak
6th July 2011, 11:40 AM
If this is because of the Prankster ability, WHIMSICOTT has more of a reason to be banned.
it's got 116 base speed (more than Thundurus, who sits at the slightly less 111.)
It has acess to subseed (Thundurus doesn't)
It has acess to Switcheroo, TauntCore, and Memento as a suicide move
(Does Thundurus? NO.)
and they both have Prankster.
Of course it all depends on the role it need to play.
Outside of annoyance, Whimsicott is almost completely useless.
Thundurus can manage well outside of annoyance and stalling, but that makes his ability almost useless, aside from Nasty Plot and other stat boosters.

of course, I don't WANT that, Whimsicott is my favorite Grass type.

...... whimsicott will never be banned, thundurus, including moves like priority taunt, t-wave, and nasty plot, can screw stuff over way more than whimsicott can. whimsi is 100% taunt bait, where as a thundurus has t-wave a/o taunt on a set. 115 atk and 125 sp.atk make for fun mixed sets (hammer arm, stops ferro cold, trust me) and a decent physical and special movepool makes it a great attacker
you can also scarf this thing, tho that isnt the best set to use by any means.

whimsi?

sub seed- well, ferro, vena, virizion and reuniclus stop this tactic

taunt- oh noes, ur taunted, switch or attack

memento- who the **** uses this?

switcharoo- again, get on with life

well, theres my input, now go away

Dark Sharpedo
6th July 2011, 3:07 PM
Umm...no ****? It's called that -2 sp att from draco meteor that he pointed out, which screws latios if he gets the stat drop

thank you, thats what ive been trying to point out...

Anyways, after Thundurus gets banned, Zapdos may jump up to BL at the least.

ParaChomp
6th July 2011, 3:32 PM
BL is an UU ban list, not a tier.

irock245
6th July 2011, 4:03 PM
Anyways, after Thundurus gets banned, Zapdos may jump up to BL at the least.
zapdos wil lgo up to OU because thunderus outclasses it with slightly better coverage. Oh, and prankster.

Barbeller
6th July 2011, 4:43 PM
However -2 is a 50% of normal power, a normal specs latios has a draco meteor of 280, which is then 140. This combined with latios'es lovely sp.attack stat is still enough to KO most non-steels. Yeah it's screwed after that but that's two KOs under your belt, seriously impacting their chances of a win. Plus if you b-pass stat boosts in it can KO up to 5 pokes. Latios'es popularity as a special sweeper is gonna get boosted after thunderus is banned, also possibly chanseys as a status user. T-bolt, Toxic, bulkiness and serene grace is pretty nice.

Yes I agree, zapdos is almost definatley OU, as well as mew soon, it just managed to survive the last round.

BGP_
6th July 2011, 4:53 PM
However -2 is a 50% of normal power, a normal specs latios has a draco meteor of 280, which is then 140. This combined with latios'es lovely sp.attack stat is still enough to KO most non-steels. Yeah it's screwed after that but that's two KOs under your belt, seriously impacting their chances of a win. Plus if you b-pass stat boosts in it can KO up to 5 pokes. Latios'es popularity as a special sweeper is gonna get boosted after thunderus is banned, also possibly chanseys as a status user. T-bolt, Toxic, bulkiness and serene grace is pretty nice.

Yes I agree, zapdos is almost definatley OU, as well as mew soon, it just managed to survive the last round.
Yes, latios will become a big hit after thundurus gets banned because thundurus was totally the reason why latios isnt number one in useage...and seriously all they have to do is switch in a steel type such as ferrothorn (since he is number one useage after all...), to which it greatly affects the person who sent out the steel type's chance of royaly owning you...I can't believe you're talking about baton pass, because that strategy is kinda hard to pull off, and im pretty sure no idiot will let a baton passer setup all day when they see a latios on team preview.
Zapdos should be OU, just cuz thundurus pretty much took his place come the new gen. However, knowing how screwed up smogon is sometimes, i won't put my money on it...

asterat
6th July 2011, 5:27 PM
Yes, latios will become a big hit after thundurus gets banned because thundurus was totally the reason why latios isnt number one in useage...and seriously all they have to do is switch in a steel type such as ferrothorn (since he is number one useage after all...), to which it greatly affects the person who sent out the steel type's chance of royaly owning you...I can't believe you're talking about baton pass, because that strategy is kinda hard to pull off, and im pretty sure no idiot will let a baton passer setup all day when they see a latios on team preview.
Zapdos should be OU, just cuz thundurus pretty much took his place come the new gen. However, knowing how screwed up smogon is sometimes, i won't put my money on it...

I think landorus and maybe tornados will also be banned. The legend friends go together. I think latios should still be uber, but it and katias came down. The legendary trios fluctuate thriughvthe tiers to gathe really...

Barbeller
6th July 2011, 5:44 PM

But if you do pull of b-pass then it is so fun to 6-0 someone. I generally use fast passers with a focus sash to definately allow them to live. I've not really seen how messed up smogon is yet as I'm relatively new (however the fact that victini and mew are UU gives me an idea).

Also the other 'friends' won't go, they have bigger weaknesses.

No one ever uses Thunder on non-Rain teams
With the psycopath that is me breaking this rule. Rain teams are so common that half the time it's usable anyway. Plus people use focus blast do they not? And hydro pump.

BGP_
6th July 2011, 6:10 PM
But if you do pull of b-pass then it is so fun to 6-0 someone. I generally use fast passers with a focus sash to definately allow them to live. I've not really seen how messed up smogon is yet as I'm relatively new (however the fact that victini and mew are UU gives me an idea).

Also the other 'friends' won't go, they have bigger weaknesses.

With the psycopath that is me breaking this rule. Rain teams are so common that half the time it's usable anyway. Plus people use focus blast do they not? And hydro pump.
Baton Pass makes ANY pokemon dangerous, depending on the boosts, latios is no exception. If i want to ban a poke, im not going to say "well he's dangerous if you baton pass boosts to him"

asterat
6th July 2011, 9:35 PM
Yeah, sunken is a threat when he has 6 DD and 6 cosmic powers passed to him

3.14kachu
6th July 2011, 11:41 PM
No one ever uses Thunder on non-Rain teams, so that arguement is for the most part invalid. Thunderbolt is strong enough to KO him anyway, so against anything with either move you will either want to KO them first or switch out. Using both can create the common weaknesses you mentioned, but on a Rain team, there is bound to be Waters which can take Ice moves, plus Ferrothorn can take Rock moves all day. It just takes a bit of simple team building to work them into a team together. Sure it might not be the best idea, but it can still work fairly effectively.

I get the theoretical explanation, but I haven't seen a single 5th Gen team on this site that uses Tornadus when it could use Thundurus. I haven't seen anyone suggest, "you should replace this pokemon with Tornadus to get a stronger RMT". Zapdos, which is UU, seems to get a bit more usage.

Still, if Tornadus were to drop to UU, it would become insanely broken. By conventional logic, it would be permanently confined to BL until Thundurus became Uber.

D0nut, I feel like every time I argue with you my status on this forum drops a little, but you have to admit, Tornadus can not be called "over-used". Used, maybe, but not "over-used".

d0nut
7th July 2011, 2:10 AM
I get the theoretical explanation, but I haven't seen a single 5th Gen team on this site that uses Tornadus when it could use Thundurus. I haven't seen anyone suggest, "you should replace this pokemon with Tornadus to get a stronger RMT". Zapdos, which is UU, seems to get a bit more usage.

Still, if Tornadus were to drop to UU, it would become insanely broken. By conventional logic, it would be permanently confined to BL until Thundurus became Uber.

D0nut, I feel like every time I argue with you my status on this forum drops a little, but you have to admit, Tornadus can not be called "over-used". Used, maybe, but not "over-used".

Tornadus only really works effectively on Rain teams, so naturally it won't be something that people can easily drop into teams and expect it to work, or even cover up any weaknesses the team has. Unless someone was running Rain, and it looked like they would benefit from Hurricane's raw power and neutral coverage, then I don't think me, or anyone else for that matter, would suggest it. In that way, I do agree with you. Statistically speaking, most of the highest ranked pokemon tend to be things that can easily fit in a number of teams, and since Tornadus is not that way he is towards the lower end of things.

He didn't make the OU mark last month, and since it is averaged in with the next two month's stats, there is a good chance that Tornadus may indeed fall around the end of the summer. Whether or not he will be BL or not remains to be seen. Without Drizzletoed, he may not exactly be broken in UU. He might be capable of running a few new sets in UU that wouldn't work in OU, and people may start to use Rain teams in UU more often, but I wouldn't count him BL yet. There are still things like Zapdos which have similar stats to Tornadus that not many feel break UU right now, so we'll just have to wait on this one. If OU Rain teams which run Thundurus, and not Tornadus, end up losing him, then people might indeed start to use Tornadus more often which might result in him sticking around in OU. We do after all still have about a month left until the 3rd set of statistics come out to determine the next OU list, and the testing will be ending pretty soon.

jesusfreak94
7th July 2011, 4:28 AM
Yeah, sunken is a threat when he has 6 DD and 6 cosmic powers passed to him

Lol, Sunkern can sweep with a little Sun and Growth if you play it right.

zapdos wil lgo up to OU because thunderus outclasses it with slightly better coverage. Oh, and prankster.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but how does Thundurus outclass Zapdos? Because their both Electric/Flying? Last I saw, Zapdos's main niche has been as a bulky attacker, since it has pretty impressive bulky and great typing. Thundurus isn't doing that with his Blaziken-esque defenses. Thundurus is a quick sweeper that uses Prankster for the occasional Taunt or Thunder Wave. It can't SubRoost stall with Toxic, it can't use the much more reliable Heat Wave on Steel types instead of Fail Blast, and it certainly can't even dream of walling. Many players may favor Thundurus over Zapdos, but I fail to see how either outclasses the other.

d0nut
7th July 2011, 4:47 AM
I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but how does Thundurus outclass Zapdos? Because their both Electric/Flying? Last I saw, Zapdos's main niche has been as a bulky attacker, since it has pretty impressive bulky and great typing. Thundurus isn't doing that with his Blaziken-esque defenses. Thundurus is a quick sweeper that uses Prankster for the occasional Taunt or Thunder Wave. It can't SubRoost stall with Toxic, it can't use the much more reliable Heat Wave on Steel types instead of Fail Blast, and it certainly can't even dream of walling. Many players may favor Thundurus over Zapdos, but I fail to see how either outclasses the other.

Its kind of like how Latios has so much more usage than Latias. Most people prefer the simplistic approach of destroying everything in sight rather than using bulkier yet similar options. Latias wasn't deemed broken in Stage 3 in 4th gen until Latios was gone since everyone was too busy using her more offensive counterpart until it was banned, but then Latias quickly stepped up and did the exact same thing. Zapdos will likely do something similar when Thundurus goes as its Life Orb set will suddenly become more viable without being outclassed by Thundurus. That's not to say Zapdos will go as far as to be Uber (obviously) but it will have a good shot at being OU.

JRCxyz
8th July 2011, 6:19 AM
Good to see actual intelligent discussion. CRMT seems to be lacking some of it.

The big guy is good. I like it. I do think it's a quite interesting Pokemon since it combines +1 Taunt and Thunder Wave (I think his ability is like Mischievous Heart, which I think gives support attacks +1 priority) and the potential to take out the enemy's team members through sheer power.

As far as the actual question of what will happen, I have no idea. Other than, well, as mentioned in this thread, similar Pokemon will be used more (obviously).

legendarypokemonmaster
8th July 2011, 6:44 AM
Everyone will quit pokemon because Thundurus is so awesome ;_;

Barbeller
8th July 2011, 6:10 PM
Baton Pass makes ANY pokemon dangerous, depending on the boosts, latios is no exception. If i want to ban a poke, im not going to say "well he's dangerous if you baton pass boosts to him"

But again, even once the b-pass chain is done there are still normally ways to counter it. However Latios is such a hard pokemon to counter as it OHKOes everything, if people use common sense and go for a life orb then they are pretty much gonna have no troubles. Latios is gonna get back on the suspect list and maybe even bump into ubers, perhaps bringing a blast from the past and dragging latias with him.

Everyone will quit pokemon because Thundurus is so awesome ;_;
But if everyone only does pokemon because if thundurus then pokemon would never have been a smash hit in the first place. The seconed gen wouldn't have been made and therefore never thundurus. And we have thundurus don't we? A clinnical error there. Plus there's always ubers.

BGP_
8th July 2011, 6:15 PM
It ohko's everything.....but steel types and special walls, again

playplayj
8th July 2011, 9:48 PM
Aw I didn't think we would loose thundurus! I don't know who could take its place though.. It will be cool to see if something new comes out of no were and takes over

Barbeller
9th July 2011, 10:52 AM
It ohko's everything.....but steel types and special walls, again

But again, even once the b-pass chain is done there are still normally ways to counter it. However Latios is such a hard pokemon to counter as it OHKOes everything, if people use common sense and go for a life orb then they are pretty much gonna have no troubles. Latios is gonna get back on the suspect list and maybe even bump into ubers, perhaps bringing a blast from the past and dragging latias with him.

Special walls are also obliterated by b-passed boosts. Can you read?

GuardChomp
9th July 2011, 1:24 PM
I think latios will be pushed to uber. His Draco meteor is so broken Got any evidence? With the soul dew gone latias is not nearly as broken. Draco Meteor will mean a sharp drop in special attack which means Choiced variants will only attack once or twice before being forced to switch allowing you a free turn of setup. Its not all that hard to deal with due to being pursuit weak, & hydriegion & sp. defensive T-Tars runing around everywhere. Back on topic, If thunderus is banned to uber due to Prankster, Nasty plot, & coverage, Rain teams my be slightly less common & Zapdos may see a return to OU. Thundurus may be used more as well.

AquaRegisteel
9th July 2011, 1:34 PM
I think Whimsicott may become more used and abused as a Lead due to that being one of the other things that can abuse Priority Taunt, but meh, I don't play as much competitive anymore.

Haru Glory
9th July 2011, 2:33 PM
I don't really know Thundurus. So why he's going to be banned?

Pichu47
11th July 2011, 5:50 AM
If he gets banned, swampert will drop drastically in usage, as it was a good poke to suck up thunders from him and hit with rain-boosted water attacks.

xack
11th July 2011, 6:00 AM
i never had problems with thundores.my ferrowthorn does fine againts them i never have a problem.

thejt
11th July 2011, 6:02 AM
Is Thundurus for sure banned? that sucks :/
Rain teams might be a little flawwed for a while.

multi-scale
11th July 2011, 4:35 PM
I don't really know Thundurus. So why he's going to be banned?

Incredible Sp Attack, powerful TBolt, can abuse 100% accurate Thunder on rain team, priority Taunt, Nasty Plot, and TWave, and gets coverage with Grass Knot, Focus Blast, and HP Ice. It is insanely good.

NeohopeSTF
11th July 2011, 5:02 PM
After Thundurus Latios is going to become more common.

Swagmander
11th July 2011, 5:35 PM
Tornadus only really works effectively on Rain teams, so naturally it won't be something that people can easily drop into teams and expect it to work, or even cover up any weaknesses the team has. Unless someone was running Rain, and it looked like they would benefit from Hurricane's raw power and neutral coverage, then I don't think me, or anyone else for that matter, would suggest it. In that way, I do agree with you. Statistically speaking, most of the highest ranked pokemon tend to be things that can easily fit in a number of teams, and since Tornadus is not that way he is towards the lower end of things.
What about Physical Attacking Tornadus? Priority Bulk Up? Rest? Acrobatics and Brick Break have coverage against everything except, ironically, Electric/Flying.

Zachmac
12th July 2011, 1:50 AM
Acrobatics and Brick Break have coverage against everything except, ironically, Electric/Flying. The first thing to happen: My turnadus's Hurricane+Focus Blast won't be walled.

TheBattleFrontierAsh1
12th July 2011, 1:52 AM
he's not banned yet?

GOLDENCRS
12th July 2011, 6:48 AM
Sorry for making another thread, didn't see this one. Anyway, I think he really shouldn't be banned, just because I use him and Zapdos doesn't fill the kind of attacking lead that my team needs.

Zachmac
12th July 2011, 9:51 PM
Sorry for making another thread, didn't see this one. Anyway, I think he really shouldn't be banned, just because I use him and Zapdos doesn't fill the kind of attacking lead that my team needs. It's probably not going to be banned just because it works well for you. The point is it works too well. It also makes too good of a sweeper. Nasty Plot, massive special attack, massive speed, and one of the best abilities in the game, not to mention nearly-perfect coverage in just two moves.

multi-scale
12th July 2011, 10:13 PM
It's going to be like SB Blazikin: nothing can stop it, but it can't really hold its own in Ubers. I suggest a new tier between Ou and Ubers with the following pokemon:
Speed Boost Blazikin
Thundurus
BEST TIER EVER. The species clause would be removed of course.
Anyway, no more priority TWave helps a lot, since it can no longer disrupt teams and set up. Whimisicott will be better since it won't be Taunted as much (but watch out for Tornadus) and Tornadus will be better.

d0nut
12th July 2011, 11:24 PM
It's going to be like SB Blazikin: nothing can stop it, but it can't really hold its own in Ubers. I suggest a new tier between Ou and Ubers with the following pokemon:
Speed Boost Blazikin
Thundurus
BEST TIER EVER. The species clause would be removed of course.
Anyway, no more priority TWave helps a lot, since it can no longer disrupt teams and set up. Whimisicott will be better since it won't be Taunted as much (but watch out for Tornadus) and Tornadus will be better.

I wish people would stop making generalizations about the Uber tier without having ever played it. Blaziken is one of the biggest threats in Ubers right now since in the Sun it is only countered by the Giratina forms. Thundurus has been thrown around in Ubers too, and it does pretty well.

That said, just because something is Uber and doesn't do well in Ubers, doesn't mean it should not be Uber. Its a banlist, not a tier. People only play it for fun.

GOLDENCRS
13th July 2011, 2:31 AM
It's probably not going to be banned just because it works well for you. The point is it works too well. It also makes too good of a sweeper. Nasty Plot, massive special attack, massive speed, and one of the best abilities in the game, not to mention nearly-perfect coverage in just two moves.

I understand that, but it will just suck for me if he is banned :(

multi-scale
13th July 2011, 3:24 AM
I wish people would stop making generalizations about the Uber tier without having ever played it. Blaziken is one of the biggest threats in Ubers right now since in the Sun it is only countered by the Giratina forms. Thundurus has been thrown around in Ubers too, and it does pretty well.

That said, just because something is Uber and doesn't do well in Ubers, doesn't mean it should not be Uber. Its a banlist, not a tier. People only play it for fun.

I was making a bad joke. Sorry.
Although I do wonder how Thundurus would do in Ubers. Electric is generally resisted by dragons. All the psychics would give it a reason to use Dark Pulse and it would be good for killing Kyogre.

mycooly
16th July 2011, 9:47 AM
Once Thundurus is banned I will be super happy, one more annoying piece of fu*k getting banned
btw why isn't Tornadus getting banned? he's just as worse

Lord Of Grapes
16th July 2011, 12:55 PM
Once Thundurus is banned I will be super happy, one more annoying piece of fu*k getting banned
btw why isn't Tornadus getting banned? he's just as worse

Thundurus is better than Tornadus. powerful TBolt, can abuse 100% accurate Thunder on rain team, Nasty Plot, and TWave, all these things and more that Tornadus dosen't have.

Although I'll miss thundurus once he's gone, I had fun using him. But if he gets one of the best abilitys in the game, once he's released into the DW, could he slot back into OU?

brandyjay
16th July 2011, 3:08 PM
Raikou will see a ton of usage once people realise how good it is. The ground waters will fall out of vogue a bit. Then people will realise Quagsire and Gastrodon are still good and they will come back up again the next month. Hidden Power Ice will go down yet again with Hidden Power grass or rock taking its place. The first for the aformentioned grass waters and the second for super effective coverage. Next thing to happen will be that dragons will see even more usage after the falling out of HP ice. HP ice will come back in.

WE WILL HAVE A STABLE METAGAME FINALLY.

Oh and there will be an uproar over Latios. people will realise how easy it is to counter in that argument will end.

Smgon will turn its eyes towards UU and RU. And withing the next 6 months we should see all the Metagames stabilize. until Grey comes out and the move tutor comes and ****s everything up.

GOLDENCRS
16th July 2011, 7:27 PM
Raikou will see a ton of usage once people realise how good it is.

Raikou has always been a great Pokemon, and I have used him in the lead spot. He doesn't hit as hard as Thundurus, but he is faster which helps him in the long run. He has ExtremeSpeed, so he can also work as a revenge killer. I think Raikou will be OU after the ban

asterat
18th July 2011, 4:14 PM
Raikou has always been a great Pokemon, and I have used him in the lead spot. He doesn't hit as hard as Thundurus, but he is faster which helps him in the long run. He has ExtremeSpeed, so he can also work as a revenge killer. I think Raikou will be OU after the ban

I agree, of the three dogs, raikou has sweeping stast and AIRA SPHERE! He isn't frail either though

Agonist
18th July 2011, 4:47 PM
I agree, of the three dogs, raikou has sweeping stast and AIRA SPHERE! He isn't frail either though

Arguably all the dogs have sweeping stats, or at least the capability to sweep. Raikou's stats are well suited to sweep, however if you want to run E-Speed, or Aura Sphere, you're forced to run a Rash nature, which hinders it, meaning it can only outspeed base 100's, instead of everything up to 115. And it's also not that bulky, without dual screens it's always died rather fast for me.

emboarrocks
18th July 2011, 10:17 PM
More of Zapdos and smogan better have a good reason for banning it-its good but it shouldn't be on uber

Ace Of Keys
19th July 2011, 12:25 AM
it would be awesome if zapdos and raikou are shown a little more love but it would suck if thundurus goes to uber. he was my main taunter

lucario44444444
19th July 2011, 2:37 PM
Rain's Usage will go down, causing sand to go up, Thundrus's Percentage on the smogon ladder will be spilt between Haxrous, Gilscor(the best OU and my fav poke yay!), tyranitar, and Quagisre(WHY IS THIS NOT IN OU)

Ace Of Keys
19th July 2011, 4:28 PM
I don't think rain's usage would suffer that badly. true thundurus is prominent on rain teams however not all rain teams have used thundurus to begin with. as for sand, it's already been pretty big for a while so i'm not sure banning thundurus means even more sand teams

irock245
19th July 2011, 8:25 PM
I honestly don't think that weather will change that much. Rain teams will ose a porminent member, but they have plenty to make up for it. Probably some less used water type will become higher in usage, and could possible be OU.

Generic User Name
19th July 2011, 10:57 PM
Zapdos is the next best thing. Tornadus just isn't the same as Thumderus.

lucario44444444
20th July 2011, 2:42 PM
Zapdos Is in UU!!

Ace Of Keys
20th July 2011, 2:49 PM
Zapdos Is in UU!!

What? is that for real or are you just yanking my chain? With a movepool, and stats like that how can that be so?

lucario44444444
20th July 2011, 2:50 PM
Yes Im for real, It kinda sux in this gen

GOLDENCRS
20th July 2011, 9:25 PM
What? is that for real or are you just yanking my chain? With a movepool, and stats like that how can that be so?

Thundurus easily took over its spot with priority Taunt, 100% Accurate Thunder in the rain, the ability to run a mixed set, Base 111 Speed, I mean I could go on more. There are more than enough reasons that Thundurus should be banned to Ubers.

Angeltripper
20th July 2011, 10:58 PM
i think tornadus and whimsicott will be used more, as well as DW honchkrow

arceus7
20th July 2011, 11:58 PM
Special walls are also obliterated by b-passed boosts. Can you read?
that only happens if b-pass latios centralizes the meta game. and b-pass teams can easily get countered so , not gonna happne

zerofield
21st July 2011, 12:06 AM

its in uu BECAUSE of thundurus.if/when its banned zapdos will probably take its spot...that will still nerf rain a bit though,because a lot of rain teams use thundurus and zapdos just plain isnt as good.

Zekromaster826
21st July 2011, 1:23 AM
Preety much anything could happen, this thread is for speculation. I thinkm zapdos will be OU again. What do you think?

I agree, Zapdos should be OU, mainly because so many people use Drizzle Teams, then they just Spam Thunder.

GOLDENCRS
25th July 2011, 3:05 AM
I agree, Zapdos should be OU, mainly because so many people use Drizzle Teams, then they just Spam Thunder.

Zapdos will be OU. With Lightning-Rod, he can be used with a Pokemon like Gyarados to get the Sp. Attack boost. With an Agility on the switch, he can easily start sweeping. I think both the Electric-Flying Pokemon having sweeping capabilities, yet Zapdos is harder to use because he needs some predictions. Most people like how Thundurus is straight forward with a Nasty Plot set.

Desert Sun
28th July 2011, 7:16 AM
Christ this is one shithole of a thread, I`ve seen about 3 intelligent posts with most of the rest being mindblowingly retarded.

Thunderus will most likely be banned after the current round of suspect testing. For all those people saying Thunderus is just good, have you ever laddered? Thunderus after a Nasty Plot OHKO`s the majority of the game. Thunderus has exactly 2 counters, Gastrodon (a boss) and Quagsire (situational). Swampert does not count because it can only come in once. After the Nasty Plot, Thunderus hits so hard people have to resort to specially defensive Chople Tar to survive a hit and kill it in return. After a Nasty Plot Thunderus is capable of 2HKOing Blissey with Focus Blast after Stealth Rocks. Yeah. Blissey.

That discusses its offensive power. Now we move on to Prankster which only benefits it. Let`s say that you manage to get Thunderus to 25% health and you bring in your Scarfed Terakion to revenge kill. thunderus can`t switch out because it will die to rocks but what`s this? Oh look, Terakion just got crippled by priority Thunder Wave. Bring in Lanturn and try to paralyze it? You just got Taunted.

I mentioned earlier that Thunderus has 2 counters, Gastro and Quag. That assumes the standard NP set. What happens when you run into a LO 4 attacks version or any set with Grass Knot? Oops, there goes my Thunderus counter.

Its not like its impossible to set up with it either. People mention Zapdos`s great bulk, but much of that bulk comes from Zados`s key resistances, resistances Thunderus shares. It also resists Mach Punch and Vaccuum Wave making it difficult to revenge. It can also set up directly on walls like Ferrothorn. The common set currently is either Sub NP or NP Lum meaning that even if Ferrothorn or Blissey carries Thunder Wave/Toxic they still lose to Thunderus.

Thunderus has excellent stats for its purpose, strong typing for resistances and a deadly movepool. Anyone wh says Thunderus is "just good, not great" is a fool.

What do you know, I forgot about Volt Switch as part of its movepool. Good luck if you expect the sweeper set, bring in your Tyranitar and watch it switch out to Conkeldurr.

Blue Harvest
28th July 2011, 8:30 AM
I overall agree with the above post but its worth mentioning that Gastrodon only checks Thundurus, not counters. +2 Focus Blast easily 2HKOs and Ice Beam doesn't OHKO back. So barring a miss, Gastrodon will only slow Thundurus down.

Mayu808
30th July 2011, 12:54 PM
I want to say that he shouldn't be banned because I've killed it, but that's probably because the times I kill it the player had no idea what he/she was doing. So yeah, next thing banned is probably going to be this guy. Way too powerful on offense, praknster is just dirty, and he can use a bolt beam coverage and focus blast to kill, well, basically anything after one nasty plot. But that's one. If any player were to "accidentally" allow a second or even a third one, you're better off forfeiting cause you ain't killing it without a lot of priority users with ice shard. Then again you deserve it for letting the thunderus get that many boosts.

Typhlosionvsworld
30th July 2011, 1:10 PM
Thunderus is very annoying with Nasty Plot, and if it didn't have that move, people would barely use it anyway. Because of those who rely on it, the rest of us might not get to try it. So, I just hope all the "under 600" Legends don't get banned.

Mayu808
30th July 2011, 10:44 PM
@typhlosionvsworld: you don't seem to realize how broken thunders is. Please read Desert sun's post and then think, "would people use it without nasty plot?" the answer my friend, is yes, yes they would.

rocky505
30th July 2011, 11:47 PM
Zapdos with Lightningrod won't be seeing much use because I am sure people would rather have heat wave for overage on it. And I do not see Thundurus going uber beause of it's low defense is one reason.

Vandslaux
31st July 2011, 12:38 AM
Nasty Plot
Thunder
HP Ice
Grass Knot

This destroys everything after a Nasty Plot, with a 2HKO on max/max HP/Sp. Def DW Quagsire. Grass Knot OHKOes Gastrodon.

homestarhydon
31st July 2011, 3:00 AM
I prefer Zapdos anyways. I agree that Thundurus is much better of an offensive presence, but Zapdos has better defenses and still can hit stuff, and I usually prefer bulky pokemon to frail ones.

d0nut
31st July 2011, 4:47 AM
Zapdos with Lightningrod won't be seeing much use because I am sure people would rather have heat wave for overage on it. And I do not see Thundurus going uber beause of it's low defense is one reason.

People choose not to run Heat Wave on Zapdos all the time considering it usually runs Thunderbolt, Roost, and Substitute on three of its slots already. Many Zapdos already have no problems picking HP Ice over Heat Wave as is, especially if someone were to use Zapdos in a Rain team. Besides, being immune to Electric attacks including T-Wave which normally neuters Zapdos, and getting a Sp.Atk boost on top of that is pretty awesome, and even if Thundurus weren't banned for some reason, I could see Lightningrod alone bringing Zapdos into OU.

Low defenses also have no impact on how powerful Thundurus is. Its actually capable of surviving random HP Ices, and its typing lets it resist certain common forms of priority such as Bullet Punch and Mach Punch. Its not exactly bulky, but that really doesn't matter anyway. Deoxys-A proved that you don't need any bulk in order to destroy the tier, and Thundurus can destroy the tier pretty easily right now.

Dark Sharpedo
31st July 2011, 5:15 AM
Ive said this before, so many revenge killers take it down, such as scarfed landorus, and scarfed Latios w/ Stab Draco Meteor.
It is very unlikely that you can beat it if none of your pokes are faster, but in that case, use a revenge killer :P

Mayu808
31st July 2011, 5:44 AM
Ive said this before, so many revenge killers take it down, such as scarfed landorus, and scarfed Latios w/ Stab Draco Meteor.
It is very unlikely that you can beat it if none of your pokes are faster, but in that case, use a revenge killer :P

Thing about that is they usually have a counter for that and no good competitive battler will leave thunderus if they fear it to be revenged.

Dark Sharpedo
31st July 2011, 5:59 AM
Thing about that is they usually have a counter for that and no good competitive battler will leave thunderus if they fear it to be revenged.

Ok first off, you analegy on that is wrong.
Scarrfed Landorus will outrun NP Thundurus anyday, and Stone Edge will ohko thunderus like a boss. So I am just saying that its good to have that back up in your back pocket when the time comes.
Also, if they feel the revenge fear coming on, I hope to god that the revenger will man up and predict that somthing that can wall rock type moves like Stone Edge will be trotting in... probs a steel like Ferro, so then you hammer arm like a boss.

Blue Harvest
31st July 2011, 6:24 AM
I don't think Thundurus is any more broken that mixed Dragonite or Lucario was last gen. Calling it uber is kind of a joke, but its definitely a pain to bring down safely.

Soperman
31st July 2011, 7:35 AM
I've spent a good 40-ish minutes reading all of these posts about thundurus, and here's what i've gotten:
Thunderus is a powerful pokemon, and basically takes the stage away from Zapdos and in some cases Tornadus.
Zapdos will move to OU, but will still be used differently as it has no prankster. With lightningrod, it could work as a bane to electric types even more than before.
Tornadus might move to OU, or possibly BL.
Raiku will rise up and show off its awesomeness.
Latios will be used more, but so will its counters.
Fluffy the cotton cloud will rise once more.
THE END.
So yeah, thats kind of my opinion and what i understood from all of this. Personally, I think Thundurus is not broken, but could easily hold its own in Uber. In fact, it could do really well.

Mayu808
31st July 2011, 9:59 AM
Ok first off, you analegy on that is wrong.
Scarrfed Landorus will outrun NP Thundurus anyday, and Stone Edge will ohko thunderus like a boss. So I am just saying that its good to have that back up in your back pocket when the time comes.
Also, if they feel the revenge fear coming on, I hope to god that the revenger will man up and predict that somthing that can wall rock type moves like Stone Edge will be trotting in... probs a steel like Ferro, so then you hammer arm like a boss.

I don't really get when you say my "analogy" didn't make sense. However, I do see what your saying. Your right that even with a counter, it's not a sure fire thing that thunderus is safe after. Plus, I forgot stealth rocks make it a pain to switch him around. So maybe he doesn't need to be in uber, but he'd probably do fine there and give a lot of things some nasty problems, scarfchomp probably being it's new counter in uber.

The Jock
31st July 2011, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't count on it being banned. While it's a colossal threat to many teams, Blissey, Swampert and Gastrodon can handle it well and there's still Pokemon like Scarf Terrakion that can revenge kill it easily. If it were less frail, then maybe it would be worthy of a ban, but I don't think it's as broken as people are making it out to be. It may resist common priority, but it loses 25% to Stealth Rock, each time it switches in and gets wrecked by powerful stab, which is why it can't really switch in, unless it predicts a Ground Move or a move like Spikes. Anyhow, if Thundurus is banned, Tornadus and Raikou usage will probably spike, considering they best fill the roles Thundurus played.

People choose not to run Heat Wave on Zapdos all the time considering it usually runs Thunderbolt, Roost, and Substitute on three of its slots already. Many Zapdos already have no problems picking HP Ice over Heat Wave as is, especially if someone were to use Zapdos in a Rain team. Besides, being immune to Electric attacks including T-Wave which normally neuters Zapdos, and getting a Sp.Atk boost on top of that is pretty awesome, and even if Thundurus weren't banned for some reason, I could see Lightningrod alone bringing Zapdos into OU.

Low defenses also have no impact on how powerful Thundurus is. Its actually capable of surviving random HP Ices, and its typing lets it resist certain common forms of priority such as Bullet Punch and Mach Punch. Its not exactly bulky, but that really doesn't matter anyway. Deoxys-A proved that you don't need any bulk in order to destroy the tier, and Thundurus can destroy the tier pretty easily right now.

Heat Wave is a godsend to Zapdos, considering Ferrothorn and Scizor are among the most used Pokemon in the metagame.

GOLDENCRS
1st August 2011, 5:34 AM
Honestly, Thundurus in my eyes can only be useful if using a Focus Sash. Because you can get a free NP up and still outspeed most Pokemon, and can even be taken out later to use for switch fodder. I mean, he has enough reasons to be Uber but I think rain related bans have taken to much of a toll on the OU metagame. Thundurus is only broken if used on rain.

Killarflame
1st August 2011, 5:35 AM
DOOM
comes to mind

complete legitimacy
1st August 2011, 1:56 PM
Thundurus may be banned due to overcentralizing the metagame, but that doesn't mean it's uncounterable. Eviolite Chansey walls it like it's its job (actually it is). Especially with Calm Mind. Even Focus Blast doesn't 2HKO it, except if it's used Nasty Plot. If you lose that then, you're screwed.

irock245
10th October 2011, 1:06 AM
I KNEW IT! THUNDERUS WAS BANNED!
but now i need a new lead.... might take all fire moves off my team and go rain. nah, too many ice moves. SH*T!

MetalSonic
10th October 2011, 1:14 AM
but now i need a new lead.... might take all fire moves off my team and go rain. nah, too many ice moves. SH*T!

Life is now seen through a different lens. -w-

PokeMaster366
10th October 2011, 5:17 AM

So why are you bragging about it?

Simipour
10th October 2011, 9:41 AM
Whimsicott may jump back into OU for prankster abuse, though toradus has that covered too. Deoxys S may increase in usage too with what is essentially its no. 1 counter being banned.

Blue Harvest
10th October 2011, 9:47 AM
Zapdos may go back to OU (partially due to Excadrill being gone). If so that would place it alongside Starmie and Gengar as Pokemon that were OU since gen one.

Gamefreak
10th October 2011, 12:18 PM
Thunderus had no counters in the OU tier, so people tried to use obscure stuff like Quagsire.

I personally think this metagame will evolve into a spiker metagame. We have Deoxys S, and Ferrothorn. No spinner can beat Jellicant anyway, unless you use Hitmontop. Starmie needs Thunder to win.

Less Thunderus switching into your Skarmory. Less Gliscor taunting your hazards. Pokemon like Dragonite and Volcarona become somewhat easier to handle, because scarfers not only become more common, but Stealth Rock is on the field much more.

I think stall is extremely viable right now. I wouldn't run a hazard team with Excadrill on every team with Rapid Spin. I don't think it was reliable. I don't care how high someone got on the ladder with it, I would rather not use a team which was weak to something so common. Now I am going to build a spiking team, and an anti meta team since Excadrill is gone. :)

Hopefully they won't ban Deoxys, but they may need to.

complete legitimacy
10th October 2011, 1:03 PM
HO just became suddenly much more viable. Hehe

jesusfreak94
10th October 2011, 10:50 PM
I hope that Zapdos will finally jump back up into OU. It's not like Thundurus really outclassed Zapdos, since Zapdos still has its trademark bulky sets which still perform well in OU. People just look at the two Electric/Flying types and tend to choose the more offensive (and broken) one. Now that Thunderbro is outta there, Zapdos might get a little more appreciation.

Oh, and Tornadobro might see more usage as well, but I like Zapdos better. :P

Pichu47
10th October 2011, 11:13 PM
Zapdos may go back to OU (partially due to Excadrill being gone). If so that would place it alongside Starmie and Gengar as Pokemon that were OU since gen one.

Excadrill is gone? I missed something...anyway, yay for thundurus for being gone! Zapdos FTW. Oh, and emolga :P

Dragalge
12th October 2011, 10:55 PM
smogon just bumped him into ubers i knew he was going up there someday

Vandslaux
12th October 2011, 11:02 PM
Tornadus in Rain and Zapdos just suddenly became more viable. But, Zapdos has Lightningrod, so he had something over Thundurus.

playplayj
16th October 2011, 2:24 PM
Now that thundurus is banned tornadus is one bad mofo, 180 base power 100% accuracy hurricane in the rain.

Cometk
16th October 2011, 6:29 PM
nothing happened

like ****ing nothing, thundurus was the least broken of all the suspects. there's a difference between borderline unbeatable and good special sweeper.

lucario44444444
16th October 2011, 6:54 PM
nothing happened

like ****ing nothing, thundurus was the least broken of all the suspects. there's a difference between borderline unbeatable and good special sweeper.

There, I've been trying to prove this point for months

MiSeRY BuSiNeSS
20th October 2011, 9:59 AM
Gonna break out the old Zapdos for my rain team.

Eranu™
20th October 2011, 2:38 PM
Air Balloon Jolteon seems pretty viable.
Also Zapdos is a good replacement but it lacks Nasty Plot and Focus Blast.

Darquese
2nd November 2011, 5:36 AM
Smogon just needs to ban prankster thundurus because thats the only reason he is ubers without prankster he is completely viable in OU (same goes for garchomp and sand veil but im getting of topic). With no more priority twave and nasty plot he becomes nothing in ubers.

GOLDENCRS
2nd November 2011, 5:54 AM
Smogon just needs to ban prankster thundurus because thats the only reason he is ubers without prankster he is completely viable in OU (same goes for garchomp and sand veil but im getting of topic). With no more priority twave and nasty plot he becomes nothing in ubers.

No. Complex bans suck. Comet is right, he shouldn't be banned literally it is just a good special sweeper. Prankster is his only ability anyway. SMH. Oh and what he does in Ubers has nothing to do with his OU status, Ubers isn't really meant to be played it is just a ban list that people play for fun

Darquese
2nd November 2011, 6:02 AM
No. Complex bans suck. Comet is right, he shouldn't be banned literally it is just a good special sweeper. Prankster is his only ability anyway. SMH. Oh and what he does in Ubers has nothing to do with his OU status, Ubers isn't really meant to be played it is just a ban list that people play for fun

Says the person who thinks the only counter to garchomp is thundurus. But all jokes aside why are complex bans bad at all with out there good abilitys thundurus and garchomp are completly fine in OU, complex bans can be very helpful and are great. I know that his uber status doesn't affect what he does in ubers im just saying ban thundurus with prankster in ubers (just like Garchomp with sand veil and Excadrill with rand rush).

GOLDENCRS
2nd November 2011, 6:31 AM
Says the person who thinks the only counter to garchomp is thundurus. But all jokes aside why are complex bans bad at all with out there good abilitys thundurus and garchomp are completly fine in OU, complex bans can be very helpful and are great. I know that his uber status doesn't affect what he does in ubers im just saying ban thundurus with prankster in ubers (just like Garchomp with sand veil and Excadrill with rand rush).

Shut up about that first part, that was a long *** time ago. Thundurus can't get any other ability

Darquese
2nd November 2011, 7:22 AM
he gets defiant in DW.

zerofield
2nd November 2011, 5:19 PM
Thundurus really wasn't broken at the time of the ban. That's true. but think about what thundurus with priority t-wave and such would have done to a metagame without excadrill?

irock245
3rd November 2011, 12:51 AM
my team would be pretty good if he were back and not banned. He did mess up stall and stuff but wasn't that hard to deal with. I found rotom-w could do a decent amount and 2hko.

jesusfreak94
4th November 2011, 2:51 AM
Like Excadrill, Thundurus could do a number on both offense and stall teams with priority Thunder Wave and Taunt. Even moreso, the only really reliable counter to the NP set I can think of was Unaware Quagsire, and you'd still have to pray that your opponent isn't running Grass Knot by any chance.

Now, I personally probably would have not voted to ban him if I had participated in the vote. I've seen what he can do and how broken he was, but I never really had much trouble with him myself and I found that too many people used him very carelessly and hardly effectively. But I would never doubt his brokenness.

Oh, and Comet, I actually think the title for "least broken of the suspects" would go to Dragonite. Just sayin'. :P

ParaChomp
4th November 2011, 3:16 AM
Thundurus really wasn't broken at the time of the ban. That's true. but think about what thundurus with priority t-wave and such would have done to a metagame without excadrill?This, I can agree on!

he gets defiant in DW.It's Blaziken all over again...

"Well Blaziken isn't Uber with Blaze."

"SHUT THE F*CK UP! Well then, I assume Darkrai isn't Uber if it lacks Dark Void. What do you think of that, b*tch?"

"All you people on the interwebs are mean perverts with nothing better to do during their spare time. I'm running away from home because you hurt my feelings, meanie!"

And that's how it went...none the less, I'd like complex ability + Pokemon bans for Blaziken, Thundurus, Excadrill, and possibly Chandelure and Gothorita when their Dream World abilities are released. None the less, the person did have a point but then again...

1 more thing, like in my story, the guys on Smogon cuss...A LOT...it's a kids' game for crying out loud. I know these tiers are nice for us older players but still, jeez.