PDA

View Full Version : Why Wasn't Togepi Cloned In "Pokemon: The First Movie"?

Sayho1234
13th July 2011, 6:40 AM
Why didn't Mewtwo clone Togepi in "Pokemon: The First Movie"?

No. 1 Machop Fan
13th July 2011, 6:44 AM
Maybe because it couldn't battle, and was therefore worthless to Mewtwo at the time?

CyberCubed
13th July 2011, 6:44 AM
Because Misty hid it in her backpack. :p

From the writers view...I guess they didn't want fans to see an, "evil Togepi" that early in the series? I mean Misty's Togepi only just hatched what....maybe 15 eps before that movie took place?

Togepi was the first new pokemon ever, at a time when we never thought there'd be new pokemon, so perhaps they wanted to keep it sacred or something?

Probably the same reason the writers didn't evolve Togepi back in Johto when they should have, and just had Misty hold the thing in her arms as it stayed useless for an entire 200 ep run or however long she had it.

poizonsting
13th July 2011, 7:06 AM
Maybe they thought cloning a cute Pokemon like Togepi for evil purpose would not be kid friendly.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
13th July 2011, 7:08 AM
because its too cute :3

lolipiece
13th July 2011, 7:13 AM
because its too cute :3

So was half of the other Pokemon cloned.

No. 1 Machop Fan
13th July 2011, 7:24 AM
Because Misty hid it in her backpack. :p

From the writers view...I guess they didn't want fans to see an, "evil Togepi" that early in the series? I mean Misty's Togepi only just hatched what....maybe 15 eps before that movie took place?

Togepi was the first new pokemon ever, at a time when we never thought there'd be new pokemon, so perhaps they wanted to keep it sacred or something?

And then came the evil Togepi in Where No Togepi Has Gone Before! Was that early enough? :p

An00bis
13th July 2011, 9:08 AM
Because Misty hid it in her backpack.

The right answer.

Misty hid Togepi after they got to shore but before they went to the castle. Mewtwo didn't clone any Pokemon that weren't in view when he started capturing Pokemon.

Interesting, he didn't capture any of the group's Pokemon that were kept in their Pokeballs despite it being shown that he could do so. Some other Pokemon that were safe include Ash's Pidgeotto, Misty's Staryu, Jessie's Arbok and Lickitung, James' Weezing and Victrebel, and all of Brock's Pokemon besides Vulpix.

SoulSilverMstr411
13th July 2011, 10:11 AM
Interesting, he didn't capture any of the group's Pokemon that were kept in their Pokeballs despite it being shown that he could do so. Some other Pokemon that were safe include Ash's Pidgeotto, Misty's Staryu, Jessie's Arbok and Lickitung, James' Weezing and Victrebel, and all of Brock's Pokemon besides Vulpix.

I did wonder about that. Saving on the animation budget?

fubufubu
13th July 2011, 10:41 AM
Togepi was the first new pokemon ever oh? ho-oh is crying in a corner right now....

MidnightMelody
13th July 2011, 2:04 PM
Would of loved to see it fight its clone though. They try slapping each other but there arms won't reach XD!

ZekeTG
13th July 2011, 6:24 PM
I'm trying to think what was Misty's team back then?

Mister_SGG
13th July 2011, 6:26 PM
Because Togekiss didn't exist back then.

JennaJayfeather
13th July 2011, 6:26 PM
It was cloned. Where do you think that sadistic Togepi came from in the episode "Where no Togepi has Gone Before"? ;)

BlueDragonfangirl
13th July 2011, 6:28 PM
Cuz as others said, she put the thing in Misty's backpack, I guess they have magic protecting them. If only the others thought of thatXD

Cometstarlight
13th July 2011, 6:29 PM

I believe you mean Togetic.
But yeah, you have to think about it, aside from the fact she hid it from view, there really isn't another reason there wasn't a cloned togepi, but what would Mewtwo do with a baby pokemon that couldn't battle worth a flip?

GetOutOfBox
13th July 2011, 10:00 PM
Because the writers forgot about Togepi when writing the storyboard. That's the simplest explanation. Considering how the writers often make such mistakes, I wouldn't put it past them to make the same mistakes in the movies.

BlueVapor
13th July 2011, 11:58 PM
Would of loved to see it fight its clone though. They try slapping each other but there arms won't reach XD!

lol.

I'm trying to think what was Misty's team back then?

That would be Togepi, Staryu, Psyduck and Goldeen. By the movie, I'm pretty sure Starmie and Horsea were already dropped off at the gym.

It was cloned. Where do you think that sadistic Togepi came from in the episode "Where no Togepi has Gone Before"? ;)

lol again.

BLPbrittany
14th July 2011, 12:06 AM

^ I think this sums it up pretty perfectly :3

11DBHK
14th July 2011, 11:18 AM
Because the writers forgot about Togepi when writing the storyboard. That's the simplest explanation. Considering how the writers often make such mistakes, I wouldn't put it past them to make the same mistakes in the movies.

this. the writers probably went though it, went back and realized they had forgotten about togepi, and changed so that misty conveniently hides togepi in her backpack.

Caseydia
15th July 2011, 1:05 AM
Hey, I totally forgot about that. It seems that the writers did a mess with Togepi in Misty's armpits because alot of things that should have been done to it never did.

T.W.I.
17th July 2011, 11:10 AM
Yes, Togepi was hiding in the backpack, but Mewtwo wanted to be the strongest trainer. Maybe since he recognized it's newborness (he's a psychic type, im SURE he sensed it hiding) he rejected it from lack of power.

Ausgirl
17th July 2011, 11:15 AM
Probably because at the time it was too weak to battle.

arceusvictini
17th July 2011, 11:56 AM
So was half of the other Pokemon cloned.
So not b/c he was cute

oh? ho-oh is crying in a corner right now....
Ho-oh isn't THAT fragile. An true but Ho-oh wasn't in the movie.

ROFL

I think that sums it up perfectly

Probably because at the time it was too weak to battle.
It could've used Hyper Beam (Through Metronome!)

SmartD
17th July 2011, 5:58 PM
I never noticed that Togepi didn't get cloned. Guess it wasn't powerful or something.

SnugNBouncy
21st July 2011, 7:35 PM
i think togepi wasnt the only pokemon not to get cloned? i mean, there were a lot of pokemon there and mewtwo only has so many cloning machines...