PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Band and Wise Glasses

Monster Guy
22nd July 2011, 10:29 PM
Does any one else use these two items over Choice Specs/Band or Life Orb?

Sure the Choice items/Life Orb give a better boost, but I personally don't like being locked into a move, with Shadow Tag Chandelure and Sub+Disable Gengar around. and I don't like taking the extra Life Orb damage when the thing I'm using it on is frail as it is.

Thoughts?

(This is on PO. I know ST Chandelure is unreleased.)

MotherRussia
23rd July 2011, 1:32 AM
I know what you mean. Life Orb should really only be used with mixed sets. It gives the same boost as Wise Glasses/Muscle Band, at the cost of HP, and it's for all moves, special or physical. Yeah, I use em.

jesusfreak94
23rd July 2011, 1:40 AM
I know what you mean. Life Orb should really only be used with mixed sets. It gives the same boost as Wise Glasses/Muscle Band, at the cost of HP, and it's for all moves, special or physical. Yeah, I use em.

Life Orb actually gives a bigger boost.

If you don't want to be trapped into an attack with a Choice item, Life Orb is the superior item. Even if you want to fake a Choice item, Expert Belt usually outclasses Muscle Band and Wise Glasses.

Kansas_Rocks!
23rd July 2011, 1:48 AM
I always use muscle band and wise glasses. I think of them before i go to use the choice items.

hallstromjr
23rd July 2011, 1:50 AM
No way should they be used over Choice items. Choice Items are too deadly. Life Orb gives a 30% boost, and Muscle Band and Wise Glasses only give a 10%. No where near the same amount of damage.

Monster Guy
23rd July 2011, 1:55 AM
No way should they be used over Choice items. Choice Items are too deadly. Life Orb gives a 30% boost, and Muscle Band and Wise Glasses only give a 10%. No where near the same amount of damage.

Sometimes I would rather not be locked into one move/take more damage than I need to.

Yes, I know you can switch Pokemon, but that has risks too.

Gelatino95
23rd July 2011, 2:07 AM
Dude, a 10% boost isn't enough to make a difference. I usually just prefer to use a boosting move like Swords Dance, but Choice items can make all the difference. It's the equivalent of using one stat-boosting move, except without wasting a turn. If you need to switch out, then whatever. Figure out what move the opponent is going to use next, and decide which pokemon to switch in based on that.

Agonist
23rd July 2011, 5:00 AM
I never use them, there are always superior options to use over either.

#TWERKTEAM
23rd July 2011, 5:14 AM
Muscle Band and Wise Glasses are completely inferior to Life Orb, Choice Items, and even Expert Belt. All they can do is bluff a choice set, which Expert Belt or a Type Boosting Item can do even better.

AB2
23rd July 2011, 5:15 AM
Wise glasses is a pretty cool item on something like Latios. Since draco meteor hits a majority of pokemon neutrally, expert belt won't kick in a lot of the time. Wise glasses on Latios may be a bit less powerful but its a guaranteed 10% boost if you want to bluff a choice set and use draco meteor which hits a lot of mons neutrally. Can't really think of any other reason to use them right now though!

Final
23rd July 2011, 6:02 AM
I'd stick to Life Orb or a Choice item in practically every case for a power boost. The exceptions being if I was bound by Item Clause (like in Random WiFi), or I wanted to do something out of the norm with a Pokemon. For example. A bulky set-up sweeper that needs the power boost but can't afford the Life Orb recoil or as a lure or bluff of some sorts although there's other ways that I can use a lure of bluff set.

Mayu808
25th July 2011, 1:51 PM
Basically, for me it's all situational. Some pokes out there would be basically useless without a choice item, or wouldn't be at the fullest potential. Life orb is also a good item if you want the versatility, use a fast mixed set, or have a recoil negate ability like sheer force or magic guard. However, I use a muscle band on my scizor because it gives me the chance to switch up moves, get a bit of a boost on all moves, and since there's only about 6 types that scizor, or atleast my set, hits super effectively, there's no need for a band. This has worked pretty well for me.

hallstromjr
25th July 2011, 5:23 PM
All situational..item clause, some Pokemon like it, some Pokemon dont.

thejt
25th July 2011, 6:14 PM
I wouldn't use them on PO or Wifi, but random matchup and stuff like that I would. Lol I actually used to use Muscle Band on Lucario on PO. He's better with life orb

hallstromjr
25th July 2011, 8:53 PM
Sometimes I use them cuz I dont have anything else...

3.14kachu
26th July 2011, 4:20 AM
The only reason to use them is in those scenarios with item clause. Otherwise, Choice or Orb is almost always the better option. And that's if you don't want to go with Leftovers, a pinch berry, or some other helpful item.

chanseychansey77
26th July 2011, 6:45 AM
The mediocre boost is often not worth the item slot, plain and simple. Unless you have to deal with some stupid item clause and there's literally no other item that works. 49 times out of 50, some other item is better.

TM0verlord
26th July 2011, 7:21 AM
I'll use those Items when there is an Item Clause. Otherwise I'd stick a Choice item/Life Orb/Expert Belt to my offensive pokemon.

Excitable Boy
26th July 2011, 7:44 AM
The boost is too insignificant to ever make a distinction between an OHKO and a 2HKO or whatever. Power-hungry stuff should use Life Orb, bulky stuff should run Lefties.

Item Clause is no excuse to use these items. You know what's a good item on sweepers? Lum Berry.