PDA

View Full Version : My First Team - OU

v1rus
23rd July 2011, 12:32 AM
Hello all, this is the first team I have put together, with competitive battling in mind. To be completely honest, when I first went about this, I was completely lost. I have been playing these games since 1998, and now at the young age of 24, I have finally decided to go about it competitively. After doing a LOT of reading, and switching things around, I have a team layout that I REALLY like, and one I feel has some good coverage.

A few things before I list my team. The first thing I kept in mind was using Pokemon I like. I know this is not necessarily the thing to do when going competitive, but for the most part, I think I was able to stay true to it. Second thing is, I wanted a fairly balanced team. As far as balance is concerned, I think I hit the mark on that one. I wanted a mix of some hard-hitting pokes, some good defenses, and noticeable residual damage. Anyway, here we go...

;248;Tyranitar (M):
4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Stream
Item: Life Orb
-Dragon Dance
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Earthquake
This guy isn't necessarily the star of my team, but he was the one I wanted on it regardless. I got my first Tyranitar back in 2001, when I was playing Silver. Ever since then, I have had a Tyranitar on my teams. I lead with him to get Sand Storm going, what happens after that, is dependent on my opponent.

;392;Infernape (F):
252 Sp. Attack / 4 Sp. Defense / 252 Speed
Nature: Naive
Ability: Blaze
Item: Life Orb
-Nasty Plot
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat
-Grass Knot
Infernape, another one I really wanted on my team. Infernape is my main sweeper. I have him with a Nasty Plot setup, but with Close Combat to deal with special walls. For the most part, he is a complete compliment to my Tyranitar, handling what he can't.

;121;Starmie:
252 HP / 4 Sp. Defense / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Leftovers
-Rapid Spin
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Recover
With entry hazards being ever popular, I knew I needed a Rapid Spinner. With that in mind, I also looked at what else my team needed. The main thing was a reliable way to handle opposing Gyarados. After the residual damage, as well as one Nasty Plot, Infernape could handle Gyarados with Fire Blast, but I didn't want to take that chance. Starmie having Thunderbolt was my best solution.

;254;Sceptile (M):
252 Sp. Attack / 28 Sp. Defense / 228 Speed
Nature: Timid
Ability: Overgrow
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Fire
Sceptile was the last addition to my team, but not until after much debating. While typically not an OU poke, he fit what I wanted perfectly, which was an annoyer. By far the best OU SubSeeder, in my opinion. While not meant to sweep anything directly, he can effectively handle anything he is faster than, and he can really annoy walls. After entry hazards, Sand Storm and Leech Seed can do wonders draining my opponents health. Giga Drain works great for the STAB, as well as giving more Sub health(and more damage). Finally HPF handles the many pokes that can put a hurting on him.

;227;Skarmory (M):
252 HP / 164 Sp. Defense / 92 Speed
Nature: Careful
Ability: Sturdy
-Taunt
-Spikes
-Brave Bird
-Roost
I put Skarmory and Blissey in for their ever popular walling rolls. Pretty self-explanatory. Spikes is part of the residual damage I wanted the team to have, along with Stealth Rocks(Blissey) and Sand Storm(Tyranitar). Brave Bird is there for coverage, as well as protection from being taunt bait.

;242;Blissey (F):
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Speed
Nature: Bold
Ability: Natural Cure
-Seismic Toss
-Ice Beam
-Stealth Rock
-Softboiled
Like I said before, Blissey is one of my walls. However, she is also my Stealth Rocker. I couldn't find a good fit for Stealth Rock on my Tyranitar, so I decided on Blissey. My decision was based on the frequency Blissey will be out. Blissey will have plenty of opportunity to put out the rocks, throughout the battle. I also get good coverage with Ice Beam.

ScizorFTW
23rd July 2011, 12:40 AM
Hmmm,you lack taunt, which can be really useful against opponents who want to set up or status you, and you only have one pshysical sweeper with a choice item...

However, it's a good team :D

v1rus
23rd July 2011, 1:08 AM
Hmmm,you lack taunt, which can be really useful against opponents who want to set up or status you, and you only have one pshysical sweeper with a choice item...

However, it's a good team :D

EDIT: Okay, I looked it over, and I did some changing. Dragon Dance/Life Orb Tyranitar has been in the back of my mind for awhile, so I went ahead with that. Choose Earthquake as his final move, which provided perfect type coverage with the team.

Taunt was a bit tricky, but I saw the merit in it for sure. I sacrificed some of Skarmory's bulk, as well as phazing, for a taunt setup.