PDA

View Full Version : Forretress VS Ferrothorn

emboarrocks
10th August 2011, 9:43 PM
Forretress VS Ferrothorn. They are both commonly used for leads. Ferrothorn can be an effective switch in to dragons or a staller. I've used fortress once before but I prefer Ferrothorn. I guess Forretress gets Toxic Spikes and Volt switch though. What do you think?

GOLDENCRS
10th August 2011, 10:19 PM
Forretress is better on paper with a better defense stat and access to all entry hazards, but Ferrothorn is more effective with a switch into Pokemon like Scarfed Haxorus to rack up Iron Barbs, and can use Rocky Helmet for more damage added on. Ferrothorn also has good offenses, and can use moves like Power Whip and Gyro Ball. Ferrothorn is better I think, but both are countered now.

Jew Bagel
10th August 2011, 10:23 PM
I use a Fortress, and it worked out amazingly, because no matter what happened I always got in atleast a SR, and two layers of spikes.

Gelatino95
10th August 2011, 10:33 PM
Depends on what you want it for. Forretress is pretty useless outside of entry hazards and rapid spin. However, Ferrothorn can perform multiple roles well. It can set up entry hazards like Forretress. It can stall pretty well thanks to Leech Seed, and possibly Toxic. It also has more viable attacking options, with Power Whip and especially Gyro Ball, which gains immense power from Curse. Both of these pokemon work well under rain because rain helps weaken their worst/only weaknesses.

Overall, I say Ferrothorn is better.

AJ
11th August 2011, 12:43 AM
having used both, i choose ferrothorn, forretress is good, but with power whip, and being able to switch in on things like tyranitar and hurt it with iron barbs, it is out classed in that sense, equal as spikes imo, but overall, ferro kills

irock245
11th August 2011, 1:51 AM
Me,personally, forterress is better in ubers, but ferrothorn is better in OU. I say forterress because i can do stuff with him.

darkrai's_shadow
11th August 2011, 1:53 AM
i say ferrothorn is better, it has more balanced defenses, a way of healing outside of lefties with leech seed, and is better at using gyro ball because it has lower speed, but if the two were to face each other, hmm, that would take a while

jesusfreak94
11th August 2011, 2:11 AM
Ferrothorn is better in general. They both have great typing, although Ferrothorn's gives it a unique resistance to Electric and Water moves, amongst others. Ferrothorn also has pretty decent recovery, a great ability to punish physical attackers, useful utility in Thunder Wave, and two great high-powered STABs to go along with its solid Atk stat. Still, Forretress does have Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, so it has a niche.

Xx_BS-TyKi_xX
11th August 2011, 2:40 AM
I find more useful Ferrothorn, being serious it can deal damage to a physicall sweeper whitout using a move, the Defense is lower than Forre's but it has a higher Sp Defense and it has Curse ;D

I know both can set up hazards, but only Forretress can sweep them from the field (and it has no other work ._.) in change, Ferrothorn can sweep and stall ;D

ArcanineShrine014029
11th August 2011, 4:43 AM
Ferrothorn. Foretress lacks resistances to Water and electric that most steels lack, other than Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn gets good recovery via leech seed and ingrain, solid attacks like Curse+gyro ball and power whip, and defenses that are spread out better, rather than being completely physically defensive.

But you can't help but admire being able to have three entry hazards at once. Ultimately, my vote still goes to Ferrothorn.

Rhys29
11th August 2011, 5:11 AM
Mostly this comes down to personal preference or what you're looking for on your team. I looked at each candidate in terms of several categories.

~ Offensive ~
Ferrothorn wins this without question. Though they have similar Attack stats and almost equally negligible Special Attack, Ferrothorn has a movepool that consists of more than Gyro Ball, even if it extends only to Power Whip. On top of this, Ferrothorn can use Curse, Hone Claws, or Swords Dance to set up while Forretress will have to rely on Power Trick to do any real damage, and doing so compromises Forretress's greatest attribute. If you're going to use either offensively, there's no reason to use Forry.

~ Defense ~
I believe strongly that Ferrothorn is victorious here as well.

Ferrothorn's resists: Normal-, Water-, Electric-, Grass- (x4 resist), Psychic-, Rock-, Ghost-, Dragon-, and Dark-type. 9 total +1 x4 resist.
Forretress's resists: Normal-, Grass- (x4), Ice-, Psychic-, Bug-, Ghost-, Dragon-, Dark-, Steel-type. 9 total +1 x4 resist.

Their resistances are similar, but Ferrothorns Water/Electric resistances are a lot more useful than the Ice/Bug resistances Forretress has. Not to mention Ferrothorn's resistance to Stealth Rock helps. In terms of stats, sure, Forretress barely comes out on top on the physical side, but there is no contest on who can take special hits better. On top of this, Ferrothorn's ability punishes an opponent for attacking with common moves, making him even less favorable to run into. Defensively, you'd want to run into a Forry much more than a Ferrothorn.

~ Utility ~
While one could argue Ferrothorn's superiority in this category, Forretress is the better of the two. Access to Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, as well as the Spikes and Stealth Rock the two have in common, makes Forry much better at supporting the team than Thorn. Forry can also set Screens while the ability Overcoat gives it the chance to shine on Hail teams, making him one of the two Toxic Spike users immune to Hail damage.

This is why I believe Ferrothorn is the superior Pokemon, but Forretress still has its uses. Hell, Ferrothorn has changed the entire metagame while Forretress has yet to do anything different since 2nd Gen.

Mayu808
11th August 2011, 5:51 AM
Yeah, Forretress all the way FTW blah blah blah! No, I wish I coil say that as I do not like ferrothorn, but he is the better choice, so sadly, ferrothorn wins.

Blue Harvest
11th August 2011, 6:15 AM
Both are very good. Ferrothorn is far easier to just throw on a team and have work well but Forretress + Blissey makes an extremely strong defensive core.

XLugiaReshX
11th August 2011, 6:48 AM
I say Ferrothorn since he has the better recovery option and is a good switch in to haxsorus and many other things

lucario44444444
11th August 2011, 7:04 AM
Are you guys all soooooo Stupid? Fortress and Ferro do different things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I can't say which one. Fortress RS. and Ferro beings annoying, the only thing simialr is the names

Ruby Blue
11th August 2011, 10:34 AM
Are you guys all soooooo Stupid? Fortress and Ferro do different things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I can't say which one. Fortress RS. and Ferro beings annoying, the only thing simialr is the names

You mean the two dual steel-type pokémon, whom set up entry hazards in OU do completley different things? >.>

Both set up Spikes/SR (Toxic Spikes too for Forretress). That's their primary role.
They also perform other roles, with Ferrothorn's Leech Seed or Forretress Rapid Spin, but in essence they're used for the same purpose: Entry Hazards.

Overall, I appreciate Ferrothorn's Water & Electric resistances and special bulk, but I do see the value in using Forretress.

Psycho Cut
11th August 2011, 11:27 AM
Ferrothorn. Not even close. Ferrothorn has good recovery in leech seed, good stat boosting moves like curse and so can sweep afterwards with gyro ball.

calze6
11th August 2011, 11:42 AM
Ferrothorn. With solid defenses on both spectrums, an excellent set of resistances and an actual offensive capability while being able to not only spike but wall, ferrothorn is better. It is also a great water/drizzle check.

lucario44444444
11th August 2011, 12:36 PM
You mean the two dual steel-type pokémon, whom set up entry hazards in OU do completley different things? >.>

Both set up Spikes/SR (Toxic Spikes too for Forretress). That's their primary role.
They also perform other roles, with Ferrothorn's Leech Seed or Forretress Rapid Spin, but in essence they're used for the same purpose: Entry Hazards.

Overall, I appreciate Ferrothorn's Water & Electric resistances and special bulk, but I do see the value in using Forretress.

Skarmory does the same thing too, Sigh

Blue Harvest
11th August 2011, 5:33 PM
Skarmory does the same thing too, Sigh

Yes, and Skarmory is a fair comparison too.

Vandslaux
11th August 2011, 6:10 PM
Ferrothorn, no contest. The ability to cripple sweepers with T-Wave and heal tons with Leech Seed, lefties, and Protect? Yes please! The Water/Electric resists are also useful. I think Ferrothorn's better, not to mention the ability to actually hurt stuff. He's also good at laying hazards. Forretress? Yeah, he gets all 3 entry hazards, but he doesn't have the special bulk to lay them, at all..

SubCharge Magnezone sets up Sp. Atk boosts and a Sub on both, though, as long as he doesn't switch into T-Wave or Leech Seed, as Power Whip 2HKOes the Sub. Just spin the hazards after Magnezone dies, done.

Kotone
12th August 2011, 8:46 AM
I didn't use neither of them, however, I'd like to state that their usefullness depends. Ferrothorn is a beast against Water types. They both, as a Steel type, don't have a weakness to geound type moves, and the same x4 Fire weakness.

Ruby Blue
12th August 2011, 10:59 AM
I didn't use neither of them, however, I'd like to state that their usefullness depends. Ferrothorn is a beast against Water types. They both, as a Steel type, don't have a weakness to geound type moves, and the same x4 Fire weakness.

Neither are weak to ground.

Ferrothorn is weak to fighting.

Kotone
12th August 2011, 11:54 AM
Neither are weak to ground.

Ferrothorn is weak to fighting.

That's what I said Sherlock.

Ruby Blue
12th August 2011, 12:22 PM
Oh, well sorry for misreading it >.>

Rezzuréct
12th August 2011, 3:04 PM
I'd like to say Ferrothorn is the best.. With the Leech Seed, Spikes, Stealth Rock and Power Whip on the Drizzle team, it make a Great SR and Spiker

Ivanka
13th August 2011, 6:23 PM
I think I prefer Ferrothorn, because it also has access to more recovery via Leech Seed. The ability Iron Barbs is nice too.

Tyranitarquake
13th August 2011, 6:26 PM
ferrothorn is much better in my opinion.

Aztec_Blaziken
13th August 2011, 6:31 PM
Even though Forretress gets sturdy and rapid spin, I think ferrothorn is a bit better and can do more than just set up entry hazards

Bestgamepearl
13th August 2011, 11:43 PM
Now this is an interresting one, ferro vs. forre...
I would have to say ferrothorn, probably because of how useful he is and probably one of the most famous pokes 5th gen brought to us, although i cringe when i say forretress isnt as good, but in this case i think ferrothorn would beat forretress

Pichu47
15th August 2011, 8:49 PM
I use a Fortress, and it worked out amazingly, because no matter what happened I always got in atleast a SR, and two layers of spikes.

Unless my ambipom lead taunts you! :P Anyways, Ferrothorn is better. Forretress does have sturdy, rapid spin, and hazards, but Ferro is still better.

Dark-Tyranitar
15th August 2011, 10:13 PM
ferrothorn to me

power whip and a powerful-ish gyro ball to destroy some common threats like tyranitar and such. leech seed to cause even more residual damage than forretress while healing off more hp. still has SR and spikes and explosion yet still has an arguably better typing that resists water and electric and a higher special defense.

MewTwoEx
17th August 2011, 3:01 PM
Ferrothorn is better imo

3.14kachu
17th August 2011, 6:00 PM
Ferrothorn's resists: Normal-, Water-, Electric-, Grass- (x4 resist), Psychic-, Rock-, Ghost-, Dragon-, and Dark-type. 9 total +1 x4 resist.
Forretress's resists: Normal-, Grass- (x4), Ice-, Psychic-, Bug-, Ghost-, Dragon-, Dark-, Steel-type. 9 total +1 x4 resist.

You forgot Ferrothorn's resistance to steel, bringing Ferrothorn's total to 1 higher than Forretress. Yet another reason why Ferrothorn is superior.

BIGJRA
17th August 2011, 6:02 PM
Forretress gets used more. Not totally sure who is best.

17th August 2011, 11:33 PM
Ferrothorn is overally better. Decent recovery option, balanced in both defenses, so Cursethorn is a viable option, plus Gyro Ball and a respectable 90 something base attack, wrecks things.

Forretress is a one trick pony, but its not useless. But the only reason I see for people using it is that it gets all three entry hazards, and sturdy. Annoying Green metal Pineapple all the way.

17th August 2011, 11:38 PM
Forretress gets used more. Not totally sure who is best.

Sorry for double post, but are you sure about that? Considering Ferrothorn is the most used pokemon in pokemon right now (if not, second to T-Tar).

Flawed logic is flawed.

Ciliano
18th August 2011, 1:18 AM
Ferrothorn because of Leech Seed and Leech Seed only.

thunder_dragon2
19th August 2011, 12:58 PM
Ferrothorn... he's the trolliest.

MasterLucario
20th August 2011, 4:18 PM
Ferrothorn is much bulkier in both defenses, pwoerful stab, and better movepool.
but forre has Sturdy, pretty much guranteeing SR. Plus, don't overlook the fact that he has Rapid Spin.

Pichu47
20th August 2011, 4:23 PM
^Actually, forretress has a better defensive stat.

MiSeRY BuSiNeSS
22nd August 2011, 8:20 PM
Ferro 4dayz.

Haru Glory
23rd August 2011, 8:42 PM
I would say Forretress.
Okay, Ferro can LS or T-Wave the opponent, but Forretress has access to alla the entry hazards and can use Pain Split for recovery, which is useful to get as most hazards as you can.

Ruby Blue
23rd August 2011, 8:48 PM
I would say Forretress.
Okay, Ferro can LS or T-Wave the opponent, but Forretress has access to alla the entry hazards and can use Pain Split for recovery, which is useful to get as most hazards as you can.

?

So you'd run Spikes/TSpikes/SR?Pain Split on one set?

Haru Glory
23rd August 2011, 9:19 PM
?

So you'd run Spikes/TSpikes/SR?Pain Split on one set?

Obviously not, that was just for saying.
I usually set the two most important hazards: SR and T-Spikes.

Just for that, I run a Max HP/SpD set to resist most Fire-type attacks as I can.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

The first two are hazards, the most useful and reliable.
Next, Volt Switch if you're not satisfied of hazards (but you should have got at least two turns). Finally, Pain Split for recover, and have the hazards job done.

PS: 100th post! :D

ParaChomp
23rd August 2011, 9:56 PM
Got banned from Smogon for posting a half-assed answer to this question. I will admit that I find Ferrothorn is better than Forretress but they do different things.

Forretress can set up any entry hazard and has Rapid Spin, Pain Split coupled with Sturdy's new effect, and Volt Switch making it a nice support option. It also has one less weakness than Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn on the other hand can set up Spikes and Stealth Rock. It has Iron Barbs which is quite useful and Leech Seed to sap the foe's health. What makes it the winner of this argument is its Attack stat, it's usable. On top of that, it has access to Gyro Ball and Power Whip. What I like to do though, is run max HP and Special Defence (which is good unlike Forretress') with Curse to hit harder with Gyro Ball. It also gets Thunder Wave which can be useful to stall the foe and gain some health through Leech Seed and Leftovers.

emboarrocks
23rd August 2011, 10:09 PM
It really sucks that Ferrothorn can't learn rapid spin... It should be able to-just look at ferroseed

mudkips
23rd August 2011, 10:28 PM

^ nuff sed

Ruby Blue
23rd August 2011, 10:29 PM
^ Except it's not true >.>

23rd August 2011, 10:45 PM
Ferrothorn and Forretress are both tanky entry hazard spammers. They're not different.

Just Ferrothorn is more versatile, and Cursethorn and even Choicethorn are options.

Remorph
24th August 2011, 6:12 AM
Is this even an option? I hate to say it. I really do. Ferrothorn. I loathe the thing. I see it with my waking eyes. It NEVER dies.