PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Look For in a Role Play?

Avenger Angel
20th August 2011, 7:35 AM
Simple question. When reading a new RP's sign up, what typically makes the difference between you signing up, and you hitting the back button to look elsewhere? And typically, what kinds of RPs do you find yourself joining most of the time, and which ones do you typically find yourself avoiding?

From a personal standpoint, I like RPs that have an interesting and original premise, but make the whole outcome of the situation a total mystery that can go in many different directions. I also find it's better if RPs don't make it seem like only one of two possible outcomes are possible (as in heroes win and bad guys lose/die, or heroes die and evil thrives). I think it's better if it's possible that other outcomes may happen, something that changes all the situations, or makes it possible for no one to win. Maybe something even bigger happens which causes former enemies to have to become allies to survive.

Secondly, I like it better if the RP doesn't solely focus on humans, or at least humans with no change or variance from the everyday norm. I feel that in order to have an original and extraordinary RP, you need original and extraordinary characters that have something special or unusual about them that makes them fun and intriguing to control in a unique setting.

So, asking you now, what typically draws you into an RP and captures your curiosity and interest?

Griff4815
20th August 2011, 2:29 PM
Simple question. When reading a new RP's sign up, what typically makes the difference between you signing up, and you hitting the back button to look elsewhere? And typically, what kinds of RPs do you find yourself joining most of the time, and which ones do you typically find yourself avoiding?

From a personal standpoint, I like RPs that have an interesting and original premise, but make the whole outcome of the situation a total mystery that can go in many different directions. I also find it's better if RPs don't make it seem like only one of two possible outcomes are possible (as in heroes win and bad guys lose/die, or heroes die and evil thrives). I think it's better if it's possible that other outcomes may happen, something that changes all the situations, or makes it possible for no one to win. Maybe something even bigger happens which causes former enemies to have to become allies to survive.

Secondly, I like it better if the RP doesn't solely focus on humans, or at least humans with no change or variance from the everyday norm. I feel that in order to have an original and extraordinary RP, you need original and extraordinary characters that have something special or unusual about them that makes them fun and intriguing to control in a unique setting.

So, asking you now, what typically draws you into an RP and captures your curiosity and interest?

Yeah, I agree with those points. I find rping as humans boring. I also find myself more interested in RPGs that are really well thought out. However, if the universe's history is too cluttered, I find things can be very restricting on what we can do with our characters, so a good balance is necessary. The acting GM is also something to consider. If they have a good history of GMing, the one might be more inclined to join. This also goes for the users participating.

deokishisu.123
20th August 2011, 2:44 PM
Personally, I look for a great story, that's always on the run and never stops (like continuous RPGs) , interactions between characters, and bringing others closer to one another via gameplay. That is typically why when I RP, I like to slap around trolls.

Ysavvryl
20th August 2011, 5:03 PM
I like originality, mostly. But I also love fantasy, so I'm drawn to those games even if it's been done before. I prefer character driven games, and am not really interested in battle heavy ones. Although if I can get away with a support or pacifist role in a battle heavy game, I'll do that.

One thing I will avoid is those that have 'must post every X amount of days!' in their rules. I hate being pressured like that. Sometimes I just don't have time to make a game post, or even come on message boards for a day or two.

Mostly, I look for ones that would be fun.

Niihyl
21st August 2011, 6:32 AM
Amazing. I look for the amazing. With just massive amounts of detail, information, and a well-sculpted world. Something that looks pretty (might be shallow of me, but if I see something with poor grammar, garish colors, or bad formatting, I'm rather put off) too. Stories that make me say- wow, that's... I just have to be part of this.

Also, customization. I like my characters to be different, and being able to invent whole forms of magic/science/species/universes just makes me want to sign-up. Plus, anything that lets me be evil is a plus, although PvP just seems to detract sometimes, as it's easier to develop characters and do things if they're working towards the same goal. Perhaps an RPG where everyone is evil.

Third, franchises and series that I'm interested in. If I like the canon material, I'm more likely to enjoy an RPG, although original stories are cool as well. Pokemon is a bit too common (it's a Pokemon Forum), so I shy away from those unless there's something different.

Last, I'm more likely to look into an RP if it's by someone I know to be a good RPer, as that makes it more likely that the quality's higher, and that there's stuff thought out.

Monster Guy
22nd August 2011, 12:51 AM
Something fun and interesting. In the end, isn't that all that matters?

I don't like heavily dark stories, where there's death, tragedy, omg let's torture these characters as much as possible, all the time. There has to be some light heartedness in it too. Otherwise it's just depressing. Of course, the opposite extreme is also possible, and I don't like that either. Then it ends up being plain silly. It's about balance. I also don't like RP's that are too restricted.

I agree, playing people with powers is fun. xD

Virawl
22nd August 2011, 1:02 AM
I look for RP's that are fun, and well thought out. I agree with Mon. I don't like them to be terrible dark, nor painfully foolish. I like them to have a decent plot outline or an original concept. Most of the time, giving an OC some sort of unique powers usually attracts me. I admit, playing a day by day person in a school, or trainer out catching Pokemon gets a bit dull after a while.

Although I like doing RP's relating to franchises I know and like, I really like those that think outside of the box, and is really something special and original, and overall a fantastic idea. They are hard to come by though. Ones that give each person a special role of sorts, or interacts with the person, instead of everyone is a background character to your star OC.

An RP should be well thought out, but not to the point of total plot control. Setting an outline, then letting the players decide their own twists and turns is the best.

Like Niihyl, I tend to look for ones made by those I know are good and experienced in RP-ing, over those made by newbies, and seem very unorganized.

aggiegwyn
22nd August 2011, 1:19 AM
Well, I look for RPG's that aren't dark, like apocolyspes and stuff like that. I try to find something that gives your character points of accomplishment. For example, in a PMD RPG, an accomplishment would be finding an item in a cave or something like that.

I also like the idea of an RPG that has a begginning middle, and end. For instance, I'm planning on making an Avatar RPG in which the characters have to find the Airbender princess in order to have a balance of the four elements in the royalty of the world. So, in the beginning they would get together and decide on the places to go, in the middle they would be travelling, gathering hints, and in the end they would have found the princess and returned her home.

I also like it when they give you the option to do a lot with your character. Like, in Maree's Super-Hero Camp RPG, they give you the option to have your character be from anywhere, have any sort of power, and weild that power in any sort of fashion. That gave the players a huge oppurtunity to make diverse characters.

I don't like it when the GM creates a world, and doesn't give the players much to work off of. Like in the Soul Symphony Chronicles, and I'm not trying to discriminate, only to give a point, the players weren't all too sure about the locations, society, or culture, and even a little bit of technology. So, if a GM is going to create a world, they must explain it very well. Like Ishan's Valdaria Academy RPG. That was very well done.

I like the idea of an RPG that would have the characters stay in one place, since in almost every RPG there seems to be travelling.

Well, I think myrambling has gone far enough the way it is. XD

AudinoGlitch
18th September 2011, 12:33 AM
I need two things.

1. I'd like to RP as a Pokemon.

2. I'd like something where there's many directions where it can go.

Nightfall_
18th September 2011, 2:03 PM
I look for unique story lines, and becoming a pokémon trainer. Those are the two I jolt on in. Apperently, I only like pokémon RP's at the moment.

Kamotz
20th September 2011, 9:22 PM
There are several things I look for, and after a bit of thought I've managed to nail down exactly what they are. So with your indulgence...

1. Grammar:
It sounds obvious, but an RPG that's completely unreadable and impossible to understand grammatically earns itself an instant "Back button" click. My advice: type it all out in a word processor first.

2. Visual Appearance:
If you've centered EVERYTHING, post in sky blue (or some other equally-irritating eyesore of a color) I won't give it a second look. Another Back Button click.

3. Quality of Explanation:
I pride myself on being quick to understand things, especially things that pertain to anime, games, fiction, and storytelling. I am adept at using wikipedia and google and I don't mind doing a bit more researching if an RPG is based around a particular concept. However, a GOOD EFFORT should be made by the GM to explain as much as possible about the world of their RPG, the mechanics, etc. In my own RPGs I try to dedicate at least a single page of size-12 type to explaining the various mechanics that need explaining.

4. Quality of GM's Signup:
As a GM, it's tough. You just spent all freakin' day writing out this grammatically-sound, super-detailed, well thought-out introduction to your RPG to placate the hyper-critical A-holes like myself. And now YOU have to write up and fill out a signup sheet too?! Why? You're the GM, you know who your characters are. You shouldn't need to plod down all their crap. A simple outline will--NO! As unfair as it might seem, I will judge your ability to direct the story based on the effort put into your signup(s). On a practical level, signups are for EVERYONE, so they have something to look to when interacting with your character. And your signups need to serve as an example.

5. Quality of Player Signups:
Sometimes players just barely follow the rules and adhere to the wordcount minimums. Sometimes signups are so fraught with spelling and grammar mistakes that it makes my eyes bleed.

6. GM Involvement:
And sometimes the GM, who has been so thorough in his/her initial setup and his/her own signup, accepts them anyway, without anything more than an "Accepted". And it's just as bad if they say "Denied"...or substitute appropriate synonyms. What I want to see is a GM that's actively involved in crafting the story and the characters involved. If something is wrong with a signup, let the player know; let them know what they can do to improve it and give them another chance (or *gasp* two!). If they're really committed they'll take those chances and make some good edits. If not...then not. What's there to lose?

I'm also a big supporter of GMs reaching out to their players and letting them know what's going on. "This is happening here, which I think might be a good place for your character to get some development in based on this, this, and that." Do it through PM so it remains a surprise for the rest of the players, but a GM should make some effort to get all the players involved in the development of their characters. Remember, RPGs aren't just games; they're stories, too.

7. Players Involved:
I have to admit, I'm more prone to joining RPGs where I know the GM or other players...favorably, of course. Simply put, I know their styles, abilities, and attitudes. Still, I'm not going to reject someone or not join just because I don't know them. I'm a fan of effort! If you put it in, we're cool.

DucksGoMooful
20th September 2011, 10:27 PM
Let me just run you through what I actually do when I check the Sign Up forum:

1) See what threads are bolded, meaning I haven't read them yet.
2) Click on one that has an interesting title, that I think I would like.
3) If the entire thread is really super long, with a lot of explanations of things, I'll generally go back to the sign up forum.
4) If it seems kind of interesting, I might subscribe to it and wait a day or two, to see what happens.
5) If I really like it and I've practically memorised the first post, then I'll reserve/post a sign-up.

That's just the honest truth. That's what goes through my mind. Sometimes even if the post is really long, I'll still read through it if it's something that seems really interesting.