PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen Sunny Day Team

Dragon_Reborn
26th August 2011, 9:55 PM
This is my first attempt at a 4th gen Sunny Day Team.This is the current team I have planned for my Pearl version.Feel free to make changes/comments/etc.

Crobat@Heat Rock
Ability:Inner Focus
Nature:Jolly
EV's:232 HP /40 Def /40 Sp Def/196 Spd
-U-Turn
-Hypnosis
-Sunny Day
-Taunt
Crobat is a excellent lead for sunny day team.Due to its high speed,Crobat can easily set up Sunny Day for the team.Its high speed also allows it to use Taunt to prevent the opposing lead pokemon from setting up Stealth Rock.Hypnosis can provide 2-5 free turns to set up or sweep away.U-Turn provides a good damaging switch out move.

Tangrowth@Leftovers
Ability:Chlorophyll
Nature:Adamant/Jolly
EV's:252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Power Whip
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
Tangrowth is a good physcial sweeper.Tangrowth can easily come in on physical sweepers and start setting up Swords Dance.Power Whip is Tangrowth's most reliable damaging STAB move.Earthquake can damage fire and poison types that pose a threat to Tangrowth.Rock Slide can help against flying types that pose threat to grass sweepers.

Exegguator@Heat Rock/Life Orb
Ability:Chlorophyll
Nature:Rash
EV's:4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Psychic
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Explosion/Sleep Powder
Exegguator is a great special sweeper.If Sunny Day is up,Exegguator can abuse Solarbeam.Psychic allows him to hit fire types hard.Explosion can be used when low on HP and heavily damage or take a pokemon out.Sleep Powder is other option to cause sleep for 2-5 turns and sweep away.Exegguator can set up Sunny Day if needed.

Houndoom@Life Orb
Ability:Flash Fire
Nature:Hasty
EV's:100 Atk / 184 SpA / 224 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Nasty Plot
-Solarbeam
-Dark Pulse
Houndoom makes a great fire absorber pokemon.With Flash Fire,Houndoom can come in on any fire attack that might be aimed at Tangrowth or Exegguator.Fire Blast is a good STAB move for Houndoom.Dark Pulse can hit any incoming water or rock pokemon that Fire Blast can't deal with.Houndoom can also abuse Solarbeam whenever needed.Nasty Plot is here if I need a extra boost in damage.

Bronzong@Heat Rock
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Impish
EV's:252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD
-Explosion
-Stealth Rock
-Sunny Day
-Hypnosis
Bronzong is a great support pokemon.Due to his great bulk,he can easily replenish Sunny Day when needed.He can also set up Stealth Rock to effect switch in's.Hypnosis can be used to cause sleep for 2-5 turns to help sweepers out.Explosion is great when he is low on HP to take out or heavy damage a opposing pokemon.

Dugtrio@Life Orb
Ability:Arena Trap
Nature:Jolly
EV's:4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch
-Stone Edge
-Aerial Ace
Dugtrio makes a good Tyranitar counter.With Dugtrio's high speed,he can use Earthquake to heavily damage Tyranitar from ruining my Sunny Day.Stone Edge can be used on Zapdos,Dragonite,etc.Sucker Punch helps against Gengar or Alakazam.Aerial Ace helps against Breloom or Heracross.

What do you think?

qwerty1111
27th August 2011, 1:51 AM
one question
why do you have attack evs when there is no physical attacks on houndoom?
other than that, id say its a pretty good team.

Dragon_Reborn
29th August 2011, 1:46 PM
one question
why do you have attack evs when there is no physical attacks on houndoom?
other than that, id say its a pretty good team.
Wow,I didn't realize that lol.I'm going to change Houndoom's EV's to 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.

midend
21st September 2011, 4:02 AM
Loads of Sleep-inducing moves on this team. Sleep Clause on or off?

salaswampert
24th September 2011, 11:39 PM
I think you should change some of the pokemon in the team. You have three pokemon weak to fire attacks which is boosted in the sun. A pokemon like flygon, salamence, etc. could use flamethrower/fire blast to take down half of the team, and earthquake would decimate houndoom. The last two may be able to hurt it but most likely flygon would decimate this team, and you would have little to counter it with.

Dragon_Reborn
28th September 2011, 3:05 PM
Loads of Sleep-inducing moves on this team. Sleep Clause on or off?
This team is more of a wi-fi/friend battle team.

I think you should change some of the pokemon in the team. You have three pokemon weak to fire attacks which is boosted in the sun. A pokemon like flygon, salamence, etc. could use flamethrower/fire blast to take down half of the team, and earthquake would decimate houndoom. The last two may be able to hurt it but most likely flygon would decimate this team, and you would have little to counter it with.

Yeah,I do have some pokemon that are weak to fire and thats not good at all since fire moves are boosted thanks to Sunny Day.I've been looking more into Sunny Day related pokemon/teams and made a few changes.

I've decided to switch Houndoom for Heatran and Dutrio for Swampert.Heatran adds more resistances and overall effectiveness then Houndoom does.Swampert makes a great Tyranitar/Hippowdon counter and adds a much needed fire/ice resistance.Here are their movesets for reference.

Heatran@Life Orb
Ability:Flash Fire
Nature:Naive
EV's:252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power
-Explosion

Swampert@Leftovers
Ability:Torrent
Nature:Relaxed
EV's:248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Beam
-Roar/Protect/Stone Edge

I've been thinking about maybe throwing in another fire type sweeper to abuse Sunny Day.Maybe something like a Infernape?

salaswampert
29th September 2011, 1:10 AM
Heatran is much better than houndoom. Swampert is also superior to dugtrio, and his ice beam counters dragons. Also you may consider a pokemon like flygon instead of infernape for several reasons. One dragon is a great offensive type with one resistance. Stab earthquake which is amazing. Flygon also abuses the ever common sandstorm, which could be an advantage. I would recomend:
Flygon@lifeorb
abilty:levitate
nature:naive
EVS:80atk, 252, 176spe
Fire Blast
Draco Meteor
Earthquake
Solarbeam
Levitate covers heatran's huge ground weakness, and flygon can put a large dent in opposing heatran abusing the sun. Fire Blast is boosted by the sun and has a large amount of power. Solarbeam counters heatran's main counters including swampert, milotic, and suicune of course. Earthquake is self explanatory. Draco Meteor will do massive damage to any non steel pokemon. Roost could be used to heal life orb damage but you would lose an important move.

PurpleSwampert
10th October 2011, 1:37 AM
hm... May I say that Bronzong may want Heatproof (I know Levitate is better, but do you see anyone checking to see if Bronzong has levitate?) Crobat is an interesting sunny day leader, I'll say that. Tangrowth might want to be Impish so it can be that more bulky; you already have Swords dance to boost atk.
with Heatran, you want Probably Scarfgon. immune to ground, and can beat other scarfers that would decimate your team with the right moves. But instead of Fire Blast on scarfgon, I would suggest flamethrower on it just because sun boost should be enough of power. But I understand Fire Blast on everything else.
But tbh, I'm more of a rain dance user ( when the rare occasion comes up to where I'm Using weather;) I'm more of a "normal" team user, I guess :\

Gamefreak
12th October 2011, 9:41 PM
Hello Dragon Reborn, this team has potential.

While I do not like Sunny Day, because Rain Dance sweepers are harder to wall, get better STAB, achieve higher speeds which make them harder to revenge kill, I believe this team can be put into fighting form with some changes.

For one, I would like to make the suggestion of using lead Azelf. Lead Azelf is easily the best Rain Dance or Sunny Day starter in 4th gen, not including ubers. Unlike Crobat, it has Explosion to get a sweeper in for free, and can lay Stealth Rock early which makes your sweep a heaven load easier. The set I suggest is~

Azelf @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Sunny Day
- Explosion

252HP is good for setting up more reliably. Explosion OHKO's Swampert and common things anyway.

My next suggestion would be making Tangrowth Jolly, with 40HP/252Atk/216Spe. This allows you to outrun Scarfed Heatran in Sun, a major threat to any Sunny Day team, while giving you plenty of power. You only have 8 turns, you need to be doing as much damage with your Tangrowth as possible during that short time.

Another suggestion would be is to use Victreebell over Exeguttor. While Victreebell is more frail, it has some very important qualities. For one, it can outrun Scarfed Flygon and Scarfed Rotom in Sun. For two it gains Weather Ball which is useful for hitting steels which wall your STAB.

Victreebel (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- SolarBeam

On Bronzong, I would probably run Gyro Ball > Stealth Rock. I would also run Earthquake > Hypnosis. Gyro Ball lets you hit Gengar, which can be a major threat to your team. It can Sub against Bronzong, and wreck havoc. Earthquake allows you to check pokemon such as Infernape and Heatran switching, which are major threats to Bronzong and this team.

Otherwise, the team is pretty good. I would suggest running Infernape or Heatran over Houndoom, but that is unneccesary. I wouldn't want to overwhelm you with too many changes. Also, run Sucker Punch > Dark Pulse to hit pokemon trying to revenge kill you. Scarfed Rotom comes to mind.

Taylorswift4life
30th October 2011, 8:56 PM
get rid of the hypnosis on your bronzong. You already have hypnosis on your crobat and gyro ball makes taunt less of an issue. (you probably don't want to explode when taunted; but switching out loses momentum)
Also, keep the stealth rocks on your bronzong. In order to sucessfully sweep with either rain or sun, you need to have entry hazards. This way you can net several KOs that you may not have gotten originally.
But if you're putting the swampert on instead of your bronzong, then put the stealth rocks on swampert and put earthquake on bronzong.