PDA

View Full Version : Catching Rarest Pokemon in the Safari Zone

Red_the_knight
1st September 2011, 7:19 PM
This is the most annoying most idea everyone hates catching, and that's very rare Pokemon that run away.

I had to go after Tauros, Chansey, Scyther, and Dratini. But there are quick strategies to get these Pokemon, and perhaps a Kangaskhan.

Tell me, everyone: How annoying was it to catch a Pokemon, losing sight of the Pokemon you want, and finally victory came over. No need to reveal a strategy unless you want to.

Mr. Pokéfos
2nd September 2011, 6:33 PM
Didn't have any trouble with Dratini/Dragonair.

Eventually caught Chansey after throwing 3 rocks in succession.

Unable to catch the other rares in Safari Zone, especially Scyther, it runs regardless of what I do.

Aquarelle
3rd September 2011, 3:33 AM
The only Pokemon I managed to catch in the Safari Zone in these games were the weaker ones, like Nidoran, Exeggcute, etc. Every time I found Chansey, Dratini, Tauros, etc., I got "you missed the Pokemon!" when I threw a ball or they ran as soon as I threw something at them.

That's why I went to the coast of the Seafoam Islands to catch them. :p

Winter02
3rd September 2011, 11:07 PM
My usual strategy in the Safari Zone was to just throw Balls and hope that it would be a capture. Usually, I had to spend a few hours in order to get the Pokemon I wanted, if it was one of the rarer ones. I remember that I had a strategy together with a friend, we walked to a certain grass patch in one of the areas and met lots of rare Pokemon there. I have no idea why it worked, but it did. Though this was only for Yellow, we did not have any strategies for Red and Blue.

Crocker
5th September 2011, 2:07 AM
I had some troubles with Dratini, but nothing seriously.
Catching Tauros was usually a hard challenge, but nothing compared to Kangaskhan...I've lost months to even find one.
And I never tried to catch Chansey, because luckily is findable in Cerulean Cave...

Charoshi
5th September 2011, 8:42 AM
I always had the hardest time with Kanga, and that carried on into the remakes too. :(

jm-9
5th September 2011, 3:36 PM
I played Yellow, as for many years I did not have Red or Blue. After I bought Blue, I realised just how much easier thay made it to catch rare pokemon in Yellow. For example, the catch rate of Kangaskhan in R/B is 4%. In Yellow it is 15% in Area 3. Though you do have to catch Tangela in the Safari Zone in Yellow, which sucks as it runs immediately.

The first time I completed my pokedex, in 2006, I had a strategy which often worked. I think it was to throw 2 pieces of bait, and then a rock. I haven't had much success in more recent times, though, so I usually just throw a ball and hope for the best(unless it misses the pokemon).

Since then, I have caught the Safari Zone pokemon in R/B too(I think by using the Old Man glitch). But now I'm playing Green, and the glitch doesn't seem to work there. I'm only missing a few pokemon that I don't have to trade for. All are Safari Zone pokemon.

deoxysdude94
5th September 2011, 3:41 PM
I'm not sure how I did it, but I caught Chansey very easily. Other than that, I caught Kangaskhan, and that's it. I got dratini from the Game Corner.

Kutie Pie
19th September 2011, 3:35 AM
I don't think I caught any rare Pokémon at the Safari Zone :/. All I remember was it was very frustrating trying to find them, only to have them run away. I may have only saw a Chansey maybe twice my whole game-play of Yellow.

Angeltripper
19th September 2011, 5:42 AM
ugh, it was hard but i caught tauros, scyther, pinsir, chansey and kangaskan

Sprintking
26th September 2011, 8:38 AM
Both Kangaskhan and Chansey were the end of me. I spent an unhealthy portion of my childhood in that forsaken place.

Larry
29th September 2011, 12:44 AM
Chansey and especially Tauros were the ones I had the most trouble with.

manifesto
29th September 2011, 2:55 AM
Scyther. Scyther is the demon of that Safari Zone.

Zoruagible
30th September 2011, 12:25 AM
I never encountered Chansey, but I saw Kanghakan but he kept running away.
The only ones I managed to catch were Dratini, Scyther, and Pinsir

Necro101
30th September 2011, 12:31 AM
I caught a Kanghakan...

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!
30th September 2011, 3:31 PM
I caught all of them, but it took forever ti catch all of them. They kept running away. But eventually, I got lucky and I caught all of them.

nathandg0924
10th October 2011, 11:17 AM
Oh man the Safari zone... one of my least favorite places.

Catching pokemon there was sooo hard. The rarest ones always run away. I could only catch only Nidorino/na, Parasect, Exceggcute and I think I also caught a Tauros. But I could never catch Scyther, Kangaskan and Cahansey among others.

Blue Ralts
15th October 2011, 11:28 PM
Kangaskhan
*flood of horrid memories about my eventually successful attempt to catch a Kangaskhan come rushing back*

Tycrane
16th October 2011, 2:05 AM
Kangaskhan definitely.

It took me almost a full day trying to catch that Pokemon since it just kept on running away on the first move. :(

Luna-kun
20th October 2011, 12:22 PM
i have prolem (still) with chansey, kangaskhan and tauros. sometimes i using "cinnabar strategion"

Red Panda
21st October 2011, 12:05 AM
Exceggcute and Tauros I see as the "common" pokes compare to the others.

*Note that I am playing on Yellow

Dratini require fishing not surfing correct? So you technically would catch it like any other pokemon once you find a decent fishing spot. Steps only count if you move from a tile to a different tile.

I heard the rocks/bait are completely useless and you better off just pushing your luck.

I only took two trips to collect all of the items in my current run and I easily caught Poliwag (free balls and I already pay the fee so why not?), Exceggcute and Tauros. I could most likely got the Dratini but I didn't have the super rod yet.

During my time I used up all of my steps and I only seen one Rhyhorn. That where they get you. That $500 fee may be cheap but after a while you may end up paying $5000+ unless you cheat/savestate or use bugs/glitches.

The only trick that I know is that you can move without moving to a different tile which may still cause random battles. If you have pikachu then getting between him and a tree or something will help slightly.

Also because this on topic and I will need this as a reference for myself later anyway:

Best location for Pokemon Yellow:
Dratini - Entrance (Note that your chance only increase by 10%, otherwise you can fish these guys pretty much anywhere. Poliwag is the only other noteworthy poke where the others are common in Yellow though he is quite common also)
Rhyhorn & Tangela - Entrance (Rhyhorn Alt: Cerulean Cave, it recommended to get Tang first, who knows you may get lucky with Rhyhorn)
Chansey - Area 1 (Alt: Cerulean Cave)
Scyther & Kangaskhan - Area 2 (Scyther Alt: Game Corner prize for 6500C, it recommended to get khan first, who knows you may get lucky with Scyther while searching.)
Pinsir - Area 3 (Alt: Game Corner prize for 6500C)

Khan can be gotten by the MissingNo glitch which I don't support but even so Tang require hunting so you will be searching regardless though he could be traded in with red/blue.

All of this assuming you are playing Yellow.

ChedWick
21st October 2011, 4:47 PM
I was never, ever, in all my hundreds of hours of play time in gen 1 able to catch Chansey.

That b*tch.

Though I miss those days of stressful but rewarding safari zone trips. Even in the RB remakes catching rares was trivial.

kabutopsfromhell
27th October 2011, 5:02 AM
Every time I break out my red version I go to the safari zone and try to catch a Kangaskhan. Still no luck (12 yrs later). (Runs off to indigo plateau to take out anger on an unsuspecting Gary Oak)

Divisible by Waffle
31st October 2011, 6:11 PM
I completed my Pokedex when I was eight, like a boss. Spent so many hours in the Safari Zone it wasn't even funny, then when I was playing later I accidentally found out that you can go to the coast of Cinnabar and catch them with normal Pokeballs to your heart's content. XD

When I was doing it legit, though, my strategy was mainly to throw two Rocks, and if it didn't run away by then, throw a Safari Ball. Worked surprisingly well.

Zazie
31st October 2011, 6:57 PM
Why would anyone waste that much time in the safari zone? Just go there once, immediatly fly to Cinnabar and surf on the edge of the island. Than you can try and catch them normally.

The only pokemon this doesn't work for is Dratini, but you can get it at the game corner and since you fish for it at the safari zone, you don't need to worry about time limits when cathing it.

Divisible by Waffle
1st November 2011, 11:28 PM
Why would anyone waste that much time in the safari zone? Just go there once, immediatly fly to Cinnabar and surf on the edge of the island. Than you can try and catch them normally.

The only pokemon this doesn't work for is Dratini, but you can get it at the game corner and since you fish for it at the safari zone, you don't need to worry about time limits when cathing it.

Hah, you do have a point, but some people are purists and will only truly enjoy that Kangaskhan if they slaved away for hours and caught it the old fashioned way. But for me, back in the day, I only did it so much because I didn't know the trick existed. This was 1998, when the majority of information about Pokemon you could find on the Internet was spread across Angelfire sites that were just as likely to give you a useful tip as they were to try and send you on a wild goose chase for "Pokegods." It was often difficult to learn about helpful glitches back then, including very specific exploits of the MissingNo. glitch. How the Internet has changed! :)

Zazie
1st November 2011, 11:40 PM
Hah, you do have a point, but some people are purists and will only truly enjoy that Kangaskhan if they slaved away for hours and caught it the old fashioned way. But for me, back in the day, I only did it so much because I didn't know the trick existed. This was 1998, when the majority of information about Pokemon you could find on the Internet was spread across Angelfire sites that were just as likely to give you a useful tip as they were to try and send you on a wild goose chase for "Pokegods." It was often difficult to learn about helpful glitches back then, including very specific exploits of the MissingNo. glitch. How the Internet has changed! :)

I remember back then. Back in the late 90s the internet was very different. Lots of small fansites, and lots of false informtaion. I miss it so much.

I don't know if I have ever seen a Tauros in the Safari Zone and have only seen a Kangaskhan once. I would imagine those two are really frustrating to get if you cared about completing your pokedex.

lovetheangelshadow
19th November 2011, 3:51 PM
*raises hand uneasily* Okay I admit it I used the Safari Zone Glitch....just for Chansey I swear! Funny, Chansey was one of my best Pokemon in Stadium