PDA

View Full Version : Weapons: The Gathering Dark (Discussion Thread)

Kamotz
25th October 2011, 8:29 PM
Weapons: The Gathering Dark (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=544103)
(Posted with permission from...me!)

This will be our discussion thread for the RPG, found by clicking above. I wanted to try running it without a discussion thread, but I'm more comfortable with one so that I have a way to disseminate crucial information to all of you.

Welcome to the world of the Weapons. While geographically different, it is a world very similar to our own as it stood several centuries ago; in terms of the level of technology, society is still firmly rooted in the sword-and-shield/horse-and-buggy era. In fact, this world might very-well have developed exactly as ours did were it not for one simple fact: a single reality that forever set our worlds on divergent paths.

Humans are not the top of the food chain.

That spot belongs to the Daevas, creatures from humankind's worst nightmare. They are monstrous beings, twisted and foul, murderous and ravenous in their intent. They are the apex predators in this world, and they prey on humans; devouring us with an insatiable and voracious hunger. They hide in plain sight, disguised as mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, sisters, brothers, husbands, and wives; they toy with us, watch us squirm and panic and cry out. They manipulate us, pushing us towards paranoia and suspicion. Only then, when their appetite for cruelty has been sated, do they indulge their appetite for violence and human flesh. It can be an infinitely brutal and painfully slow process.

The Daevas would have long taken complete control of this world and were it not for the existence of the Weapon organization. This secretive group is the force behind the creation of the Weapons, humans with enhanced abilities. The creation of a Weapon is difficult and painful, and only a few survive the actual process, but those that do are transformed into living weapons (hence their name). They are stronger, faster, more agile, and more durable than regular humans, and they have been trained to hunt, fight, and kill Daevas. They are as strong--or even stronger--than many Daevas. The Weapons are sent out across the land on various missions (only those approved by the organization). Using their unique abilities, they exterminate the Daevas they come across. The public reaction to the Weapons is mixed; to some they are revered as heroes, while others regard them as little better than the monsters they destroy.

Recently, however, things have begun to change. There are whispers; something is stirring in the darkness. Daevas are gathering in larger groups than ever before, and extremely powerful individuals are being reported; monstrous and grotesque, even for Daevas. The organization has made no formal statements in regards to these occurrences, but people talk, even people like the Weapons. And they know something is going on. Something strange; something that the organization won't talk about.

You are one of the Weapons sent to the city of Belmoor to clean up an infestation of Daevas when you become intricately entangled in the shadowy occurrences and this strange uprising. Will you uncover the truth? Or will you end up as another pile of meat on the side of the road?

==========

Information

Species and Groups:

The Daevas: these are a species of humanoid monster that preys upon humans, feeding on all parts of them, but finding particular affinity for internal organs. Most are similar in size to humans, though some are noticeably larger and more heavily muscled, with skin color ranging from pitch-black to blood-red to corpse-grey. Most have elongated limbs that end in clawed digits, large fang-filled jaws and pointed ears, giving them a bestial appearance, and some have bat-like wings, though this feature is rare. Daevas have greater strength, speed, and durability when compared to humans, and are capable of both regenerating after being wounded (they are able to regenerate limbs and recover from severe wounds, but a wound directly in the head or hitting many vital organs will kill them) and shape-shifting to appear completely human. They can be identified by their Aura, which can be sensed by other Daevas and the Weapons.

The Weapons: these are the end result of a controlled transformative process, created by the organization to fight the Daevas. When a human consumes a specifically prepared/treated portion of Daeva flesh and blood, they create a hybrid that is more powerful than the original Daeva. This infuses the human with the Daeva's essence, it's Aura. Weapons are stronger and faster than humans, have some form of accelerated healing abilities, and possess enhanced senses. Weapons cease ageing upon reaching adulthood, and barring a violent death, they might never die. They also gain a "sixth sense," an ability to detect Daevas and other Weapons by sensing their Auras. Upon becoming Weapons, most develop minor secondary physical characteristics like an unnatural eye or hair color, further setting them apart from the regular human populace.

The Organization: the shadowy group controlling and directing the actions of the Weapons. This is the group that both selects the candidates for weaponization and oversees the procedure. Weapons are usually chosen from children orphaned from Daeva attacks. No official name of the organization has ever been revealed, and so it is usually referred to by the general populace as the Organization, the Guild, the Order, or the Company. The identities of the organization's echelons remain a heavily-guarded secret; not even the Weapons are aware of them, and very few have ever laid eyes or ears upon them. Most of the organization's orders and instructions are disseminated by a network of spies and informants, leaving the organization to continue to work in shadow and secrecy. Weapons are given great freedom in exchange for their service, but must adhere to 3 rules:
1. A Weapon is forbidden from killing a human whether through action or inaction.
2. A Weapon is forbidden from accepting money for his/her services. All payment will be collected by a representative of the organization.
3. A Weapon must obey the orders of the organization and its representatives.
Breaking any of these rules will result in a punishment, one ranging from reassignment to temporary incarceration to execution.

==========

Notes about the Weapons:
Weapons are recruited as children, usually orphans or runaways. One of the many jobs for the organization's spies and informants is to find these children and make the offer to become a Weapon. The training for a Weapon follows a set "schedule," though the actual specifics vary on an individual basis. Generally speaking, Weapons are brought into the organization anywhere between 8 and 10 years of age. A year is spent building up mental and emotional fortitude, learning basic survival skills, and the like. During this time the weaker and less-able recruits are weeded out, either dying or returning to human civilization. After that year, those that remain are "weaponized" (made to consume the flesh and blood of a Daeva).

Upon becoming weaponized, a Weapon is given a new surname; one that the organization and their trainers believe reflects something about them. They keep their given (first) name, however, though they can change that if they wish as well.

The weaponization transformation process takes anywhere from four to seven days and is excruciatingly painful. Of the many children recruited each year, only about a half-dozen actually survive the process. Once weaponized, their real training begins; they are instructed for several years in various combat forms, with all manner of weapons. The actual method of instruction varies according to the instructor. Some instructors opt to remain at the secret headquarters of the organization and train the young Weapons, while others choose to journey the countryside. Some instructors take only one student while others train several. Some students have only one instructor while others might have several. This training continues until the Weapon is sixteen, at which point they are assigned to a field mentor and join their mentor on authorized missions against Daevas for two years. After this time they are considered a sanctioned Weapon.

The organization only fields 50 active Weapons at any given time (and it's believed no more than 75 exist at a any given point). The others are either held in reserve at the organization's secret headquarters, considered "retired" and assigned to a civilian guise, or are trainees partnered with one of the active 50. Each active Weapon is ranked in accordance with their ability.

Because of their accelerated healing factor, Weapons are rarely sick for longer than a few hours, and heal from injuries at incredible rates. However, more devastating and life-threatening injuries are sometimes too severe for their healing abilities to contend with. In those situations the Weapons can consume Daeva blood or flesh, which assists greatly in the healing process.

Weapons are encouraged to resist the more primitive urges of humanity--pain, hunger and pleasure. Strong emotions should also be avoided, and one should never become too attached to one's body (it helps when you have to fight while wounded). You eat only what is necessary and nothing more. Strangely, sex is not forbidden outright (perhaps the organization knew how futile a battle that would be), and so long as the Weapon keeps killing Daevas, the organization doesn't care whether they bed a man or a woman, a human, or a fellow Weapon. However, because the organization discourages emotions and thoughts of pleasure, few Weapons actually find any allure in sex.

Helpful Images:
Standard male Weapon armor (http://kokuun.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/raki1.jpg)
Standard female Weapon armor (http://www.1animewallpaper.com/wp-content/gallery/claymore-wallpaper/claymore_3.jpg)
Feel free to add your own variants or twists on the gear. These images are just so you have a feel for what's going on.

Map of the "World" (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/Ryukatana/Creations/Map-Weapons2.jpg)
This map only shows the major population centers. Smaller towns and villages exist in between, and if you choose to you can create one for your backstory.

==========

Official Basic Rules
1. No god-modding.
2. Two character maximum.
3. Only control your own character unless given permission otherwise by the other character's owner.
4. No killing other OC's without their owner's permission.
5. If you wish to make an NPC with a large part then please just state that on the sign-ups so that it doesn't get killed. Otherwise it's open season.
6. You must have good grammar! Get a proofreader for all I care! Use the spell-check! Anything, just make sure things make sense. I can tolerate some slip-ups, but nothing on a constant basis.
7. Please try to post at least once every 2-5 days (unless you give me a reason why you can't). Any longer than that and we might lose you or leave you behind.
8. No making up histories for characters (even NPCs) that aren't your own.
9. I reserve the right to kick you out of this RPG if you break one of these rules seriously enough. I will, however, give you a chance to explain or redeem yourself so it won't be a "BAM goodbye" sort of deal

==========

Accepted Characters/Players:

Jareth Leonhardt (m) - Kamotz
Erika Valke (f) - Kamotz
Yngouf "Yn" Stark (m) - GoldenHouou
Xoxaa Manglegore (f) - Xlugon Pyro
Kilber Aussterben (m) - Endarkened_Gardevoir
Trinity Kardos (f) - TheSequelReturns
Urien Durant (m) - Matrixbeast
Gabriel Seward (m) - storymasterb
Palamedes Sonnen (m) - storymasterb

Kamotz
25th October 2011, 8:39 PM
Now, my first piece of information pertains to your next posts.

In which you're asked to interact with some of the townspeople. Here's the skinny: None of them are Daevas. They're all just regular people. But there's been some strange things going on around town. People disappearing, acting strangely/irrationally, but otherwise not violent. Things have just been a little...weird.

Endarkened_Gardevoir
25th October 2011, 11:51 PM
Poor Kilber, he's going to have to be polite and refuse the alcohol. Well, I suppose that's what he get's for being a non-alcoholic. Mind if Kilber suggests the local brothels, since the drudges for a place like that see and hear one whole heck of a lot?

Kamotz
26th October 2011, 12:23 AM
You're allowed to suggest anything. Though make sure whatever actions are portrayed realistically.

GoldenHouou
3rd November 2011, 9:05 PM
So, I'm writing a post here and I'm almost done, but before I submit it... I was thinking of having Yn suggest a small contest (a drinking contest, of sorts) in order to gather attention to themselves (and thus lure out Daevas. He doesn't know none of the people in the tavern are ones, after all).

Would that be alright, or did you have something specific in mind for them to do after some information gathering? I guess my main concern is, how long were you planning for them to be in the bar, because if they're leaving soon, I'd better just hold Yn back from making the suggestion.

Kamotz
3rd November 2011, 9:07 PM
Well (and thanks for keeping this alive and going!) I wasn't planning on the bar-scene lasting too long, but didn't have a set time limit. Basically I just wanted to let everyone have a go at what they were intending to do.

GoldenHouou
3rd November 2011, 9:11 PM
Hmm, alright... Well, I'll post him suggesting the contest, at least. I mean, it would be in his character to do so, and obviously not everyone is going to agree and participate anyway. Also, if they need to leave in the middle of it, feel free to drag Yn along by the ear.

And no problem. I really don't want this to die, and I feel a bit guilty for taking so long to reply. Hopefully this kicks up again.

Kamotz
25th November 2011, 4:42 PM
Another post! Sweet. Let's go, keep this kicking!

GoldenHouou
25th November 2011, 4:50 PM
Yessiree, doing my best to help. I think that even with a few players gone missing on us, we can still keep going. And hopefully they'll return if things pick up, too.

Kamotz
25th November 2011, 5:54 PM
Cool. I really want this to keep going. It's one of my fun non-fandom niche ideas, kinda like Armored Core: All as One, that builds on a single idea. Essentially, this is the quote that provides the running theme and idea throughout the entire RPG:

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Kamotz
28th November 2011, 5:45 PM
I know GoldenHouou and Endarkened are ready and willing to keep this going. Xlugon Pyro and Matrixbeast...I haven't heard from in more than a month, so their characters are relegated to NPC status (meaning anyone can use them for dialogue purposes, just don't do anything too drastic and try to remain in-character). I'm just waiting to hear from storymasterb and TheSequelReturns.

Kamotz
2nd December 2011, 1:20 AM
So just a quick note, as of your next post, you're free to enter into the underground, pass the blood-pool (set in this sort (http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=cavern&order=9&offset=24#/d1da7ss) of scene), and come upon Erika and Jareth fighting and killing Daevas in an underground cavern.

Kamotz
31st December 2011, 9:53 PM
So this (http://aaronsimscompany.deviantart.com/art/Early-Abomination-Concept-1-89588050) is pretty much the image I had in my head of the uber-Daeva that was thrashing our characters. I know, I know...I should have described it. But it's been a long day, I was hungry, and I wanted some good-toast. So I skipped the inevitable ho-hum-drum, overly-wordy description I would have used. And provided you with a picture instead. Have at it.

Kamotz
25th January 2012, 4:01 AM
So no one has anything to post? I know it's only 5 days since my last post, but...

Look, if no one is willing to continue and post on an even semi-regular basis, that's fine. Just let me know. I think it's only fair.

GoldenHouou
25th January 2012, 7:05 AM
Well, I was waiting for storymasterb to post first, so that he wouldn't have too much to respond to. But I guess I can go ahead and post anyway soon, if he doesn't... I'm still willing to continue.

Would opening the Sign ups again to get some more people in help? So many people have disappeared, I think getting new flesh could help.

Kamotz
25th January 2012, 9:19 PM
People generally don't sign up for already-started RPGs unless they're based in a familiar fandom. At least in my experience. I tried it with Armored Core: All as One, and got one signup. Right now we have 4 people (you, me, storymasterb, Sequel). That's usually enough to keep an RPG going, but only if people post.

GoldenHouou
25th January 2012, 10:00 PM
I dunno, I've seen it happen sometime in the past, though admittedly not too often. And hey, one Sign up is still one Sign Up, right?

I'll wait 'till Friday and if he hasn't posted by then, I'll throw a post in.

Kamotz
31st January 2012, 7:56 PM
It doesn't appear as if this is going...anywhere. People are posting once a month, at the most, and it doesn't seem to be changing. Sometimes RPGs lose momentum and die off. And I accept that. Maybe this was better suited for a fanfiction instead of a dedicated RPG project. The sad fact is that since the start-date in October, we've only 33 posts in the RPG.

And I seem to be doing this "beg for posting" thing all too much recently, and I don't enjoy it, and I don't think any of you do either. So unless there are any strong objections, I'll probably be closing this until further notice.

GoldenHouou
31st January 2012, 8:26 PM
Not going to lie; I'll be very sad to see this go. But I understand where you're coming from, it must be frustrating when an RP hangs on the edge of dying and you don't know whether to abandon it or wait a while longer. I'd still be up for trying to keep this alive, but yeah, it seems very difficult now...

Still, if you're ever going to remake this, I'm definitely up for joining again (not sure if that's a threat or a promise to you, heh.) Sorry I couldn't help save this. Hopefully, if there's ever going to be a next time, people stick around.

Either way, had fun while it lasted.

Kamotz
3rd February 2012, 5:44 PM
I dunno if I'd restart/rework this for a while, but I might put up a summary/synopsis of what I had planned for things along the line.

If you're interested though, I am planning an RPG with a similar sort of Fantasy feel. My MtG "Planeswalkers" RPG would be a bit more high-fantasy with a bit more classical elements. But you'd get a lot more character-creative freedom in terms of species (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Species) and classes (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Class).

Kamotz
3rd February 2012, 5:44 PM
I dunno if I'd restart/rework this for a while, but I might put up a summary/synopsis of what I had planned for things along the line.

If you're interested though, I am planning an RPG with a similar sort of Fantasy feel. My MtG "Planeswalkers" RPG would be a bit more high-fantasy with a bit more classical elements. But you'd get a lot more character-creative freedom in terms of species (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Species) and classes (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Class).