PDA

View Full Version : Murkrow - VGC 2012 Edition

TrollFreak
30th October 2011, 8:17 PM
http://veekun.com/dex/media/pokemon/main-sprites/black-white/198.png (http://"http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/murkrow")

[Overview]

While Murkrow faces Stiff Competition from other Prankster Pokemon Whimsicott and Tornadus, Murkrow still has what it takes to get on a VGC team. Murkrow gets interesting options, but the one people should consider is Quash. With Quash, it makes your opponent move last, regardless of the situation. Therefore, you could use priority Quash, and make a poke in, say Trick Room, go last, giving your partner time to take out a pokemon. And, with Evolite, his bulk could be boosted to better levels. Give the small bird a chance for your team.

[SET]
Murkrow @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Tailwind/Thunder Wave
- FeatherDance
- Sucker Punch/Brave Bird
- Quash/Protect

[SET COMMENTS]

This set is to attempt to make Murkrow as bulky as possible. Tailwind gets Priority thanks to Prankster, so he can set it up with great efficiency. Thunder Wave is there to get Paralysis on pokes from time to time, and again, with Prankster, you'll get priority. FeatherDance makes a pokemon Atk Stat drop by 2 stages, which renders them useless, and probably makes Murkrow a target for your opponent, which gives your ally time to kill them off. Sucker Punch is to give this thing an attacking job, as 85 base Attack does make it somewhat decent at attacking (better than Whimsicott anyways)

Some Basic Calcs

0 Atk Murkrow Sucker Punch vs 4 HP/0 Def Latios: 60.6% - 71.52%

0 Atk Murkrow Sucker Punch vs 4 HP/0 Def Garchomp: 22.07% - 26.26%

0 Atk Murkrow Sucker Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Abomasnow: 33.02% - 39.25%

0 Atk Murkrow Sucker Punch vs 4 HP/0 Def Politoed: 29.81% - 35.4%

0 Atk Murkrow Sucker Punch vs 4 HP/0 Def Zapdos: 27.02% - 31.99%

0 Atk Murkrow Sucker Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Ninetales: 33.45% - 39.72%

As those Calcs Show, Murkrow can Finish off some pokemon and makes him useful for getting that KO when the opponent is at low range. Or, if you want a stronger attack altogether, Brave Bird, while lowering the bird's HP with every use, does make another great option of attack, though, unlike Sucker Punch, it isn't Priority, so caution must be used that he doesn't get taken out before using it.

Some More Calcs:

0 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs 4 HP/0 Def Latios: 44.7% - 52.98%

0 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs 4 HP/0 Def Garchomp: 32.96% - 38.83%

0 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs 0 HP/0 Def Abomasnow: 100% - 117.76%

0 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs 4 HP/0 Def Politoed: 44.72% - 52.48%

0 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs 4 HP/0 Def Terrakion: 38.27% - 45.37%

0 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs 0 HP/0 Def Ninetales: 50.17% - 58.89%

As you can see, Brave Bird, with NO Atk Ev's, can KO a 0/0 Abomasnow, which is saying of the raw power of Brave Bird

Quash is used for team support, as you use it when you know your opponent can outspend you, for example, in TR. You can use quash, make the move last, while your Ally takes out the other pokemon. It works really well as a Surprise Factor, and can be very useful. The Evs are for as follows:

252 SpAtk Abomasnow Blizzard vs 252 HP/108 SpDef Eviolite Murkrow: 70.37% - 83.33%

In Rain

252 SpAtk Politoed Surf vs 252 HP/128 SpDef Eviolite Murkrow: 39.81% - 47.22%(If Hitting both pokemon)

252 Atk Life Orb Kingdra Waterfall vs 252 HP/128 Def Eviolite Murkrow: 73.15% - 85.49%

252 SpAtk Kingdra Hydro Pump vs 252 HP/128 SpDef Eviolite Murkrow: 75.31% - 88.89%

252 SpAtk Zapdos Thunderbolt vs 252 HP/128 SpDef Eviolite Murkrow: 88.89% - 104.63%
31.25% chance to OHKO

In Sun

252 SpAtk Life Orb Ninetales Flamethrower vs 252 HP/128 SpDef Eviolite Murkrow: 64.2% - 75.31%

252 SpAtk Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs 252 HP/128 SpDef Eviolite Murkrow: 80.86% - 95.37%

252 SpAtk Life Orb Zapdos Heat Wave vs 252 HP/128 SpDef Eviolite Murkrow: 60.19% - 70.99%(If hitting Both Pokemon)

252 Atk Terrakion Rock Slide vs 252 HP/120 Def Eviolite Murkrow: 87.04% - 102.78%(If hitting Both Pokemon)
18.75% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Garchomp Rock Slide vs 252 HP/120 Def Eviolite Murkrow: 53.09% - 62.96%(If hitting Both Pokemon)

252 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs 252 HP/120 Def Eviolite Murkrow: 81.48% - 96.3%(If hitting Both Pokemon)

[ADDITIONAL OPTIONS/COMMENTS]

The EV's used are to maximize Murkrow's bulk, making him a great supporter of Tailwind. Other Options could be FeatherDance, Perish Song, Taunt, Confuse Ray, Swagger, Rain Dance ,Sunny Day and Mean Look.

FeatherDance could be used over Thunder Wave to lower the opponent's attack by two, which either leaves a physical attacker crippled for the rest of the match or forces the switch. However, Thunder Wave can be used on sweepers on both sides of the spectrum.

Perish Song could be used when you get the opponent's to their last two pokemon, so you can use it and finish the match with that. This is, however, very situational, and is very discouraged, though if you have a team that works with it, by all means go ahead.

Taunt is always a good option to use, again this could be used over Thunder Wave, as this allows Murkrow to stop opponents set-up and shuts down supports pokemon, like Cresselia, Musharna, Ammonguss, Togekiss, e.t.c.

Confuse Ray and Swagger could be used with Thunder Wave to have a Para-Fusion combo going, but outside of that, not really very useful.

Sunny Day and Rain Dance could be used as an anti-weather pokemon, able to shut down weathers that usually disrupt your team. Though, without the Damp or Heat Rock, it only lasts for 5 turns, which could be long enough to win a match i suppose, but with the Bulky pokemon used in today's VGC, using the Damp or Heat Rocks would be useful to extend it to 8 turns.

Mean Look can be combed with Perish Song(Preferably on another pokemon) to perish trap both pokemon, though this is risky as if your opponent's can kill Murkrow off, the plan would fail. OR, trapping weather starters. Say your opponent sends out DW Ninetales and DW Charizard. All you have to do is Mean Look their Ninetales, while simultaneosly switching in a Drizzletoed or something. Now they're stuck in whatever weather you dictate, and can't do much about it.

[Checks and Counters]

Murkrow is like Whimsicott, it's main job is to support it's team. Therefore, checking it isn't a challenge. Any Strong STAB/Gemmed Attack can KO it. Ground pokes who are immune to Murkrow are immune to Thunder Wave, and usually carry a Rock Attack of some sort. Counter to Murkrow include other Pranster pokemon, Whimsicott, Tornadus, Thundurus, who, if carrying Taunt, all outspend and shut the bird down with Taunt. Other than that, Murkrow will be annoying until you take it out.

[Dream World]

Now that Murkrow main selling point is the fact his DW ability, Prankster, is already released, there is one more thing he can run. Snarl, which lowers both pokemon Special Attack by two, is very useful in adding more team support. If used, Calm Nature (+SDef, -SAtk) can be used over Careful and Snarl over Sucker Punch and Brave Bird.

LinksOcarina
31st October 2011, 1:31 PM
My only questions then.

Why Murkrow over Honchkrow? Even with Eviloite the defenses can't hold up to a majority of the pokemon you pointed out above. I like the idea of a prankster set though, it does make team support easy with the snarl/quash combo, it is actually pretty good.

But, while Honchkrow doesn't get prankster, it does not get locked into using one item, and has a lot more attacking options to take advantage of its sweeping nature over a support nature.

I don't know, I like Murkrow but in something like the VGC's I don't see it being used too much over other pranksters.

The Eleventh
31st October 2011, 1:36 PM
Why Murkrow over Honchkrow?

But, while Honchkrow doesn't get prankster, it does not get locked into using one item, and has a lot more attacking options to take advantage of its sweeping nature over a support nature.
That's why. The whole point of this is to utilise Prankster.

LinksOcarina
31st October 2011, 1:40 PM
That's why. The whole point of this is to utilise Prankster.

I get that, but I don't even think Murkrow can utilize prankster to the best of it's ability.

TrollFreak
1st November 2011, 12:33 AM
I get that, but I don't even think Murkrow can utilize prankster to the best of it's ability.

Look at the set, and the additional options, Murkrow is a great user of Prankster and he has a good enough move pool to abuse it. He could also use Toxic to stall pokes out. If only he got encore

Silvershark
1st November 2011, 1:11 AM
You forgot to mention Roost, which could be used to make Murkrow last longer. Having reliable, priority healing seperates Murkrow from Whimsicott, Tornadus, and Tornadus; and it also helps get rid of those pesky Flying weaknesses if you predict a Rock Slide, Blizzard, or Discharge coming your way.

EDIT: And Mean Look to keep an opponents pokemon from running away when you bring in a counter.

TrollFreak
1st November 2011, 1:16 AM
You forgot to mention Roost, which could be used to make Murkrow last longer. Having reliable, priority healing seperates Murkrow from Whimsicott, Tornadus, and Tornadus; and it also helps get rid of those pesky Flying weaknesses if you predict a Rock Slide, Blizzard, or Discharge coming your way.

EDIT: And Mean Look to keep an opponents pokemon from running away when you bring in a counter.

Roost inn VGC isn't really worth it on Murkrow, his job is to support the team, not stay around for the entire battle. Some Times it's better to let Murkrow faint, and send out a poke that can sweep the rest of the, hopefully, weakened team

Mean Look is a good idea though, edited into Additional Comments

irock245
1st November 2011, 1:39 AM
i once used pranster murkrow when the metagames just began in nu. I only had one battle in nu (which was a tie), but he stalled a sharpedo to death. Definetyl useful in the lower tiers. Especially with evolite.

TrollFreak
1st November 2011, 1:42 AM
i once used pranster murkrow when the metagames just began in nu. I only had one battle in nu (which was a tie), but he stalled a sharpedo to death. Definetyl useful in the lower tiers. Especially with evolite.

this is for VGC, not tiering :(

Silvershark
1st November 2011, 1:44 AM
Roost inn VGC isn't really worth it on Murkrow, his job is to support the team, not stay around for the entire battle. Some Times it's better to let Murkrow faint, and send out a poke that can sweep the rest of the, hopefully, weakened team

Mean Look is a good idea though, edited into Additional Comments

That's a matter of opinion and battle style. Like you said, Murkrow's disruption will likely make it a target. So the way I see it, the longer Murkrow's in play keeping your opponent watching one hand, the longer you can do whatever you want with the other.

And why, oh why, did you make Mean Look's only example of use Mean Look+Perish Song? That's risky at best in Singles, much less Doubles. I was thinking along the lines of trapping weather starters. Say your opponent sends out DW Ninetales and DW Charizard. All you have to do is Mean Look their Ninetales, while simultaneosly switching in a Drizzletoed or something. Now they're stuck in whatever weather you dictate, and can't do much about it.

TrollFreak
1st November 2011, 1:49 AM
That's a matter of opinion and battle style. Like you said, Murkrow's disruption will likely make it a target. So the way I see it, the longer Murkrow's in play keeping your opponent watching one hand, the longer you can do whatever you want with the other.

And why, oh why, did you make Mean Look's only example of use Mean Look+Perish Song? That's risky at best in Singles, much less Doubles. I was thinking along the lines of trapping weather starters. Say your opponent sends out DW Ninetales and DW Charizard. All you have to do is Mean Look their Ninetales, while simultaneosly switching in a Drizzletoed or something. Now they're stuck in whatever weather you dictate, and can't do much about it.

Ok, i'll think about roost, and discuss it at the VGC server

and Mean Look is a good idea like that edited in again

Ice Blue Dragon
1st November 2011, 3:35 AM
Those are some impressive calluations.
Murkrow is pretty cool, with support. It can take some hits and then get a t-wave or sub up. Even with out att evs it oks weakened pokémon. Overall it is a pretty impressive pokémon and will be a big factor in VGC.

LinksOcarina
1st November 2011, 4:31 AM
I rechecked all the calculations and stuck him in on a PO team...

I take back what I said, it was fairly effective. Good work man.

TrollFreak
1st November 2011, 4:36 AM
thanks a lot, believe it or not, this only took 20mins :D

btw, you did use it on doubles right, in singles there is a better set than this

TheMaster
1st November 2011, 4:42 AM
I can see an annoying perish song protect mean look set.
Murkrow in the VGC has potential being a great abuser of prankster ability thanks to its typing and movepool, also thanks to the new item eviolite of course.

LinksOcarina
1st November 2011, 4:43 AM
thanks a lot, believe it or not, this only took 20mins :D

btw, you did use it on doubles right, in singles there is a better set than this

Well I used it primarily in singles. The doubles I tried too and it was a lot more effective but even in singles it was pretty good.

TrollFreak
1st November 2011, 4:54 AM
I can see an annoying perish song protect mean look set.
Murkrow in the VGC has potential being a great abuser of prankster ability thanks to its typing and movepool, also thanks to the new item eviolite of course.

Perish Song and Mean Look really don't work in doubles (see Perish Song/Mean Look Notes for more info

Well I used it primarily in singles. The doubles I tried too and it was a lot more effective but even in singles it was pretty good.

yea, in singles roost and toxic would be more effective, but in doubles, this set really shines, i do hope he gets use in VGC

TrollFreak
1st November 2011, 6:50 AM
edited OP w/ DW section

T.W.I.
1st November 2011, 11:30 AM
I've looked it over, even tinkered with him a bit. Here's some input:

Murkrow (even with eviolite) takes hits hard if you split defenses. That being said, invest in DEF as the SPDEF will just clobber him anyways since most SE attacks will be special. Unless if you run ROOST to eradicate his special weakness invest in defense. Also, as noted you can run a Featherdance to make up for his lack of defense. If you run FD, then invest entirely into SP DEF.

Also, dont bother with BB or SP, stick with Night Shade. Hell take a hit, but hes there for support/stall. It generally causes more damage, especially to any non-normal tanks.

Murkrow@Eviolite
252/HP 248/SPDEF 8/DEF (VGC lvl 50 right?)
Featherdance
Roost
Substitute/Tailwind
Night Shade

To be frank, Murkrow is not going to last well in VGC 2012 . Sure he has prankster, but so do many other users. Plus, his eviolite removes an even more useful item "mental herb" to defend against Whim and taunt him back.

TrollFreak
1st November 2011, 12:06 PM
I've looked it over, even tinkered with him a bit. Here's some input:

Murkrow (even with eviolite) takes hits hard if you split defenses. That being said, invest in DEF as the SPDEF will just clobber him anyways since most SE attacks will be special. Unless if you run ROOST to eradicate his special weakness invest in defense. Also, as noted you can run a Featherdance to make up for his lack of defense. If you run FD, then invest entirely into SP DEF.

Also, dont bother with BB or SP, stick with Night Shade. Hell take a hit, but hes there for support/stall. It generally causes more damage, especially to any non-normal tanks.

Murkrow@Eviolite
252/HP 248/SPDEF 8/DEF (VGC lvl 50 right?)
Featherdance
Roost
Substitute/Tailwind
Night Shade

To be frank, Murkrow is not going to last well in VGC 2012 . Sure he has prankster, but so do many other users. Plus, his eviolite removes an even more useful item "mental herb" to defend against Whim and taunt him back.

thanks for the post

and yea, max spdef w/ a few left back in def makes more sense, i;ll do calcs later it;s early in the morning here.

Roost dent make much sense. Yes he is bulky, and he can be a supporter, but since this isn't singles, unless running a toxic stall team, just make him weaken a few sweepers, use tailwind/t-wave a bit for team support, and use Sucker Punch/Brave Bird for finishing up the opponent from time to time.

Tailwind should be first, if you aren't using Tailwind/T-Wave, what else are you using him for.

and lastly, why Night Shade. I mean, yea 50 damage is alot, but as you can see by the calcs, he does more damage with other attacks suck as sucker punch/Brave Bird. Only thing you can't hurt is steels, and using Night Shade as a whole just for them is situational.

T.W.I.
1st November 2011, 1:07 PM
thanks for the post

and yea, max spdef w/ a few left back in def makes more sense, i;ll do calcs later it;s early in the morning here.

Roost dent make much sense. Yes he is bulky, and he can be a supporter, but since this isn't singles, unless running a toxic stall team, just make him weaken a few sweepers, use tailwind/t-wave a bit for team support, and use Sucker Punch/Brave Bird for finishing up the opponent from time to time.

Tailwind should be first, if you aren't using Tailwind/T-Wave, what else are you using him for.

and lastly, why Night Shade. I mean, yea 50 damage is alot, but as you can see by the calcs, he does more damage with other attacks suck as sucker punch/Brave Bird. Only thing you can't hurt is steels, and using Night Shade as a whole just for them is situational.

Just trying To give a diffent option by using moves other pranksters can't do better. Roost is actually very useful if u have his partner clear any special attackers. Considering murks "weak" appearance most pokes aim to attack him and eliminate his threat fast.

If you want an attacker using prankster acrobatic sky jewel tornadus is better. The most use murk ever gets is by stalling and abusing roost to make him a pure dark type and mess with the opponents predictions. His STAB moves have decent coverage but thundus offers a much better stab. Plus with high sp def, feather dance and roost, unless a fighting type has buffs they won be damaging hm any time soon when he lands.

As for the order listed, I just listed the moves as I typed them. No one move has priority over the other except in the case of tailwind/twave.

Of course murk can do what you want, but if yur gonna use it abuse it for its differences between other pranksters. I just don't see the point in making a weaker tornadus/thundurus depending on your needs. Unless you plant all 3 on the team...