PDA

View Full Version : Blastgatr+Kyurem

Hopalong
7th November 2011, 3:58 AM
So after this new prerelease, and the new Kyurem, I'm feeling good about my Blastgatr deck, so I'll try a decklist on here.

Feraligatr 3-2-3[Rain Dance]
Blastoise 3-2-3[Wash Out]
Kyurem x2
Cleffa x1
Rescue Energy x2
Water Energy x9
Prof. Juniper x3
PONT x3
Interviewer's Questions x2
Cheren x1
Twins x2
Fisherman x3
Communication x3
Rare Candy x4
Junk Arm x3
Collector x3
Switch x2
Catcher x1

Strategy:
Feraligatr's Rain Dance ability provides unlimited water energy attachments per turn, making the high cost, yet strong attacks of all the main attackers in the deck accessible. Not intended as a fighter, but is optional if needed or preferred.

Blastoise's Wash Out allows decent moving around of energies to the active pokemon, in case of any incidents were energy is lost, or unable to be provided for whatever reason. Though Blastoise is more intended as the main attacker, using Hyrdo Cannon for 100 damage, which can be used for sniping.

Kyurem is a decent card that can fend for itself, intended as a starter, and compliments blastoise. Being the only basic that can properly fight, makes it important as well. Glaciate spreads around 30 damage to all the opponent's pokemon, making the 100 damage with Blastoise more successful in KO'ing big attackers like the dragons, and any other 100+ HP pokemon, plus OHKO'ing babies, and many weak basics in two turns.

Rare Candy speeds up the evolution process, a must for this kind of deck. Cleffa is for extra drawing power, that can be doubled up on Juniper or PONT. Cheren is for extra drawing as well, ditto for Communication and Collector. Twins is for the possiblity of a bad startup, and two card search can almost gurantee any stage two setup.

Catcher is for the hope of bring a high retreat to active, locking it, then sniping with Blastoise. Junk Arm is an obvious choice. Fisherman is for the instance where a pokemon is knocked out, and with high energy and little provided, can be game changing for energy providing. Switch is important for this deck as Blastoise and Feraligatr are high retreat cost, Cleffa can be a pain if it stays asleep, and Kyurem is two retreat also, so it has it's uses.

ven?
7th November 2011, 4:13 AM
1 catcher does not lock a card, sniping something in an active position is not called sniping, it's called attacking, kyurem cannot fend for itself, it is not an overly fast card and would die instantly to an electric deck, however it can stand to take some hits then make a few of it's own, not to mention but nothing seems to benefit from kyurems spread damage. other then that I would say get rid of the fisherman for a flower shop lady and plus power or evolite, and get rid of the collector for dual ball.

K1LL3RxP0P7aRt
7th November 2011, 4:37 AM
kyurem cannot fend for itself, it is not an overly fast card and would die instantly to an electric deck,

Kyurem's weakness is Metal/Steel. He can fend himself against a Electric Deck.

ven?
7th November 2011, 4:42 AM
lol, forgot, not really Zek+pluspower is 130 ohko, unless he plays evolite to defend he's still got troubles.

Hopalong
7th November 2011, 4:54 AM
1 catcher does not lock a card, sniping something in an active position is not called sniping, it's called attacking, kyurem cannot fend for itself, it is not an overly fast card and would die instantly to an electric deck, however it can stand to take some hits then make a few of it's own, not to mention but nothing seems to benefit from kyurems spread damage. other then that I would say get rid of the fisherman for a flower shop lady and plus power or evolite, and get rid of the collector for dual ball.

When I referred to bringing a high retreat cost card to active, I meant to leave it in that position while I snipe the bench pokemon, while the opponent would either have to wait to get the energy together, or use a switch. Sorry for the vagueness.

The spread damage allows you to be able to bring one of the dragons HP down to 100, making it open to Blastoise to take it down, plus the number of cards with 100+ HP is rising, so it's good to use, plus it's good for any babies left out like Cleffa for the cheap prize.

Flower Shop Lady doesn't bring the energy back to your hand, I prefer using Fisherman to be able to immediately set up a Blastoise/Feraligatr with Rain Dance, but I'll definitely consider FSL regardless.

And Collector for Dual Ball? Dual Ball is a lot more riskier, only gets two basics max(unless you play multiple, and get all the coin tosses), while Collector is a guaranteed three.

I'm considering Plus Powers, they could be beneficial, but would be a pain to change in my deck, and Eviolite would only be useful to Kyurem honestly.

Sorry for the rebuttal, but I just can't really see your perspective...

Lumos77
8th November 2011, 1:39 AM
Ok, this edit isn't part of the Kyruem part (which may be a good idea, depending on the deck you face) but about the deck itself.
Add 4 DCE
2 out 1-1-1 on feraligater
and add Beartic EP.
The dce and beartic have saved me many a time when feraligater takes too long to get out.

ven?
8th November 2011, 3:49 AM
Kyu's spread is to slow if you're thinking of using it in combination with blastoise, against something with a reuni slot will just build it up and ohko you next turn. Again alot of decks that run cards with high retreat usually run those cards as major techs and or major attacker's, so this does go against you're strategy (because that just means they're going to setup the active and not care to much for sniping). Having to constantly switch out blastoise for kyu to get those dominate tko's does get tedious, a majority of decks that run in the format if the don't run trainer lock run cards to counter the 100 dmg like evolite and so on, so after one turn of using kyu your most likely going to have to switch out kyu for blastoise to make consecutive tko's, or just deal with the second turn ohko (which comes back to the tedious thing), if kyu had a faster option to spread damage then this wouldn't be that much of an issue, but it seems to be more effective to just not run kyu take it out and run a water weakness counter for blastoise. Kyu is still a beat stick card like reshi and zek, you have to take into account that alot of people are going to be going after the kyu because they don't want to give you the option of dealing more then blastoise's already 100 snipe.

Dual ball is a faster option of play, and life is a risk but if you succeed thats upwards of 8 basic's in your hand in 1 turn versus 3 and you can't reshuffle your hand for a better outcome next turn. If you lose by a turn for a card you could have got into your hand by a turn, and it had something to do with collector (which is usually the case), wouldn't that tick you off?, if you're so interested in getting the three put in more pont, juniper, copycat, more options to get more cards to you're hand, why should you just have access to you're pokemon when you should have access to your deck on you're supporter turn. Also I look at it on a mathematical level of, I run for instance in my deck 4 pont, 4 dual ball and 4 communication, pont is going to give me the option of being able to always have a com and dual ball, no matter how many dual ball I run through I'm going to get at least 1 pokemon, then I set it up, If I run out of basic's or don't have need for them I can always com them for evo's, but then pont gives me energy's and other cards I can use to setup the pokemon with, not to mention but when you use more trainer's in you're deck it increases the chances of drawing into the cards and pokemon you need alot easier by lowering the amount of trainer's.

No it doesn't but It does give more options, for instance you setup a bench of 2 blastoise, 2 kyu and 1 FPrime with a cleffa active, you're most likely going to put the rescue on 1 kyu and 1 blastoise or 2 on 2 blastoise or 2 kyu, this being said when it comes to a late game play and you're down x amount of cards that you could only redraw 2 of them back, whats going to say that that was the best pokemon to put the rescue on that card at that time? You can't know, where as flower shop lady does give you the option to being able to comeback from any situation.

Evolite would be a need be in this deck, or it's just going to get pummeled with the rest of you're deck against ZPST.