PDA

View Full Version : RPing a character that has the opposite gender of yourself.

Monster Guy
11th December 2011, 9:06 PM
I've seen a lot of RP Sign Ups that say they have a lot of male characters and they want more female characters to balance out the cast. This then leads to some RPers to post a "I can't RP girls well." before their SU like a cautionary notice. (I see this more often with males RPing as females rather than the other way around.)

Honestly, RPing as a girl is not that difficult. You're probably not going to have to do anything too feminine, and you can always make her a tomboy if you must. If having to do romantic interactions with males makes you uncomfortable, you can make her a lesbian, or just not interested in romance.

I don't get why guys have such an issue playing girls. I do it all the time. (Again, I see this more from guys playing females then I do from girls playing males.)

Cinna
11th December 2011, 9:10 PM
*points to own RPG* Yeah, a lot of guys are reluctant to RP as girls. For whatever reason, I do not know. I really don't mind, guys are girls are pretty similar to be honest.

Alfred Jones
11th December 2011, 9:10 PM
I have an issue playing girls mainly because they seem too weak in my opinion, and well, it's been so long since I last played a female I'm too nervous to play one once more.

Monster Guy
11th December 2011, 9:13 PM
I have an issue playing girls mainly because they seem too weak in my opinion, and well, it's been so long since I last played a female I'm too nervous to play one once more.

Dude, that line could very easily be misinterpreted...

Alfred Jones
11th December 2011, 9:16 PM
Well basically whenever I try to rp a girl they're 'fragile' and constantly need help. I have no clue why, but it just happens.

Niihyl
11th December 2011, 9:21 PM

Gaaah, sexist, *beatdown*. :P

- Eh, Mon beat me to it. But I play my girls as tough, self-reliant people who can match men easily, and rescue the stupid guys who charged headlong into the enemy base.

I play female characters often, about as often as I do male characters. Romance, hetero/homo/bi isn't too worrisome either. Still, it's not really super-easy either. Badly done, it can just seem like a guy in a skirt with the label 'Female' stuck over their head. There's a reason it's recommended to stick with your own gender, as it's more comfortable.

The reason you notice guys who can't RP as girls? There are no girls on the internet. :)

Alfred Jones
11th December 2011, 9:23 PM
I'm not sexist, I'm just having some problems wording what I want to say.

I think Clingy is what I'm trying to say.

Griff4815
11th December 2011, 9:41 PM
I've RP'd as female characters before. I admit, I do have more male characters than I do female characters, but I don't think I have a problem with RPing as women.

Admittedly, the first time I've ever written an important female character (a girl in my first fanfic) I had trouble getting into her character. Her character was relatively flat and not too distinct and at the time I thought it was because she was a girl and I couldn't relate as well as I could male characters. Then I tried writing another female character (Pyra Torren from Digimon: Unholy Crusade and Digimon: Devil's Ascent) and that went swimmingly. I'm proud of that character and how she developed. She was definately a "stronger" character than the character from my fanfic was, so I didn't know if that had something to do with it. I think it might just have been that the fanfic character didn't have an engaging personality, so I found it easier to get into Pyra's mindset, who had a much more pronounced character. I'm not entirely sure.

Also, I'm a straight guy and Pyra is in a relationship with another male RPGer's male character, which I don't have a problem with. xD

Avenger Angel
11th December 2011, 10:02 PM
95% of the time, I RP with a male character, but I've done females before and it's not all that different. What's harder than that is RPing characters with varying personalities that are significantly different from your own.

But yeah, don't ever associate the kinds of characters a person role plays with their actual, real life personality.

CuriousHeartless
11th December 2011, 10:10 PM
I have no qualms RPing as a girl, and sometimes it would be easier to use a character I want if they're a girl. However, if it's available I'll admit I'm probably going to be a guy. I just don't get what's the big deal, it's just the same thing as if you're shy and you RP as a social butterfly so it's no big deal.

YourFavoriteUser
11th December 2011, 10:15 PM
Generally, I will be a dude, but i have no problem RPing as a female.

Skillfulness
11th December 2011, 11:16 PM
*awkward female* I am the opposite, I can't RP as guys. I can never make the tough, un-emotional, stoic man most guys are (sorry for the sterotype). Rarely will I RP a guy as I feel more comfortable doing what I know best, but sometimes it's fun to leave the comfort zone and be creative.

Squiddly Dee
11th December 2011, 11:22 PM
Well, I am female, and the characters I RP with are usually female about 60% of the time, and male 40% of the time. I personally have no problem RPing as a guy, but I can see why someone would have trouble being the opposite gender.

Monster Guy
11th December 2011, 11:24 PM
*awkward female* I am the opposite, I can't RP as guys. I can never make the tough, un-emotional, stoic man most guys are (sorry for the sterotype). Rarely will I RP a guy as I feel more comfortable doing what I know best, but sometimes it's fun to leave the comfort zone and be creative.

The tough un-emotional stoicness is usually an act. :P

treespyro
12th December 2011, 12:13 AM
90% of the time I RP as the opposite gender. It is fun and interesting because if I do a male it will be me and that wouldn't be as fun.

Ysavvryl
12th December 2011, 1:54 AM
I play both male and female characters, no trouble. It depends on what the character is. I do tend to blur gender lines and expectations, but that's just me. After all, gender roles are not as stringent as they once were.

Titan500
12th December 2011, 2:53 AM
I can RP as females somewhat well. It isn't really that hard, I mean, all one has to do is try and base the personality off a female friend or just do what I normally do, make every single one of my characters somewhat crazy. The gender differences get fused together by the craziness.

The only problem I have is that I can't really interact that well using female characters.

TheSequelReturns
12th December 2011, 5:31 AM
I happen to be a guy, yet most of the characters I play are girls. Though it is a bit easier to keep my guys in character, I oftentimes put too much of myself into them or have them wind up sticking to well established cliches and as a result many of them come off as a bit static or flat.

I actually have more fun playing female characters, partially because it is a bit of a challenge for me but also because its easier for me to make them just the way I want without worrying about too much of my own personality bleeding in. All in all, my female characters tend to be much more quirky, dynamic, and unique than my male characters. I still play characters of both genders, but its like a five to one ratio of girls to guys in my list.

CaptainCombusken
12th December 2011, 3:35 PM
I've never Rped as a girl. I just feel that there's no way I could get inside the head of a girl and RP as her correctly. Regardless of what you say about similar personalities, boys have extremely different emotional builds to girls. They think of themselves and hold themselves completely differently. Unless if the girl is an emotionless drone, which I hate RPing as, then how would you manage friends? The way girls look at friend sis different to boys. the way girls look at LOVE is very different to boys. As a boy I just find it too difficult to imagine myself as a girl.

treespyro
12th December 2011, 3:37 PM
I RP'd as so many females that people think I'm female. I'm good :p

Monster Guy
12th December 2011, 4:14 PM
I've never Rped as a girl. I just feel that there's no way I could get inside the head of a girl and RP as her correctly. Regardless of what you say about similar personalities, boys have extremely different emotional builds to girls. They think of themselves and hold themselves completely differently. Unless if the girl is an emotionless drone, which I hate RPing as, then how would you manage friends? The way girls look at friend sis different to boys. the way girls look at LOVE is very different to boys. As a boy I just find it too difficult to imagine myself as a girl.

I know, I've taken two Psychology classes, they've talked about the differences between male and female communication.

You don't need to do THAT though. Read a book and/or watch a TV show with a female main character, or use someone you know for inspiration. It helps.

GoldenHouou
12th December 2011, 8:26 PM
The tough un-emotional stoicness is usually an act. :P

Shh, don't let 'em in on the secret! ;p

Mmnyway, I actually mostly play as the opposite gender, though lately it's gotten more balanced. But the ratio used to be like 85 % to 15 %... I dunno, I just find playing as the opposite gender fun. I've never really worried if my character could pass off as a believable member of their gender group, and eh, maybe I should've. But I'm usually more focused on making sure they have the personality I planned for them and they act accordingly to that.

And on the contrary, I've never feared that my characters of the same gender share too many traits with me... they often share very few (and even those are unintentional) or none at all.

OkikuMew
15th December 2011, 6:25 PM
*holds self to point at Niihyl and scream "Objection!"* :P

Lady here! Well, I understand how some of you guys have a hard time to RP as a girl: I have difficulty to play as the opposite gender myself. I dunno, when creating a character for an RP I want one that I can easily identify with, and I have a hard time to do that with (most) male characters. Although I'm willing to play as one just for the lulz, but with Mon's post that started it all, I guess I'll have to wait out until there's an RP that needs extra guys or is pretty equal. That, or an RP that doesn't mind having too many male characters, heh heh.

Psychic
15th December 2011, 8:06 PM
Okay, wow, let's make one thing clear here: gender stereotyping is not a good way to create a character. In fact, it's a really bad way to see a group of people, and can get you in trouble in the real world. By making generalizations, you stop looking at a person as an individual and start seeing them as cardboard cut-outs built on stereotypes.

Yes, males and females are different. However, not all males are the same and not all females are the same. We know this because all our male friends/family members are very different people and all our female friends/family members are very different people. As others have said, if you're having trouble coming up with a character who isn't like you in whatever way, then draw inspiration from the people around you, or even other characters if you must.

Well basically whenever I try to rp a girl they're 'fragile' and constantly need help. I have no clue why, but it just happens.
It's clear you don't mean to come off this way, but to put it bluntly, saying things like "they all seem weak or clingy" sounds offensive. You really need to think about the words you use and how they might sound to other people before you use them.

If you're worried that your female characters will always come off this way, then you should purposely create one who is not fragile. This doesn't mean making her a big, tough, unemotional bodybuilder who towers over everyone, but look at Hermione or Princess Leah - Hermione never stops helping Harry to try and defeat Voldemort, and when Han Solo gets captures, Princess Leah busts into Jabba the Hutt's lair to rescue the man she loves. These characters are both women, but they are definitely not "fragile" or "clingy." Hermione loves Ron, but when Ron runs away during the seventh book, Hermione does not chase after him or act stupid or crazy.

If you really are short for ideas, then base your characters off women like these. :>

Solution: don't make them that way!

Again, this is perpetuating a stereotype that is absolutely false. Few guys actually are unemotional, so you can very well make you who is. Also, as Mon said, it often is an act, meaning that sometimes they act this way to protect themselves from getting hurt emotionally. When you think about it, that's actually pretty darn interesting, don't you think? It adds a whole new layer to a character who would otherwise be stereotypical and boring.

I play both male and female characters, no trouble. It depends on what the character is. I do tend to blur gender lines and expectations, but that's just me. After all, gender roles are not as stringent as they once were.
Exactly. If all our female characters acted like passive housewives, then there wouldn't actually be any females in our RPs.

Additionally, males can have traits that are seen as "feminine" and females can have traits that are seen as "masculine." For instance, a guy can have long hair and a girl can have short hair. I am a girl, but I like going to the gym, and I see lots of other girls at the gym, too, even though you think of going to the gym as a "guy thing."

While this is true, again, be careful of making generalizations. Not all girls look at love the same way, and some might not think of themselves that differently from the way guys think of themselves. It all depends on the individual.

This applies for everyone in this thread: instead of looking at it as "how a girl does it" or "how a boy does it," I think everyone needs to see it as "how THIS CHARACTER does it." Otherwise it's like saying "how a black person does it" or "how a gay person does it," and no matter your gender, age, race, religion or sexuality, every person is different. When you assume something about a character just based on one of those things, you are enforcing stereotypes.

And to answer the question, I mostly play as girls because that's just what I like to play as. I've enjoyed creating all kinds of female characters, from ditzy artists to ruthless killers. I do not feel limited by this choice.

~Psychic

Kamotz
15th December 2011, 8:24 PM
I coincidentally found the same topic of conversation elsewhere, on how to write a strong female character. The person interviewed, or quoted (whatever) was Ron Marz, the man writing the Witchblade series of comics. He didn't create the character, but he spent several dozen issues evolving the character from eye-candy into a real, solid, believable, strong, kick-*** female lead, something that is really quite rare in comic-dom. Here's what he wrote:

"I honestly don't approach writing female characters any differently than I approach writing male characters. I try to write individuals, and I try to write them so they're as three-dimensional as possible. Obviously someone's sex is one of the traits that factor into it, but it's certainly not the only one. A believable character needs to have both positive and negative aspects to their personality, so I try to build that into anyone I write."

"If there's one constant in the way I approach writing women, it's probably that I try to write them as more emotionally mature than men. I just feel like that's pretty often the case in real life. For me, a 'strong' character has nothing to do with physical strength, it's about the strength of their will, their resolve. I watched my wife give birth to all three of our kids, completely natural childbirth with no drugs, no pain meds, nothing except her strength and determination. You can't come away from witnessing something like that without a better understanding of how strong a woman can be. That warrior mentality I saw in my wife is definitely something I draw upon."

"But I should add that you have to balance that strength with some vulnerability, or the character doesn't come across as believable. Someone can be an ***-kicking hero and still be vulnerable or even needy at times. The important thing, I think, is making sure your heroine isn't defined by or seen as secondary to the men in her life. That 'damsel in distress' stuff is ********. One of the reasons I have a problem with 'Twilight' is that Bella's character is defined by sparkly vampire boy. Her primary character arc is to get a boyfriend. Lame."

If that doesn't say it perfectly, I don't know what else does.

Source. (http://www.comicvine.com/news/ron-marz-on-how-to-write-a-strong-female-character/143914/)

Zincspider
15th December 2011, 11:46 PM
I used to worry about this, but I've gotten over it.

I don't really worry about gender stereotypes. I'm not going to say all women should be un-girly, as some actually are IRL. It depends on the character. Just because one female character isn't as strong as another male character doesn't mean you're dooming those who hail from Venus. It simply means that one character is weak.

The same goes for men. A weak person is a weak person, no matter what gender.
We dont' have to go so far as to make sure all of our characters are PC here. If we all try to please everyone when making a character, they will be boring.

Do you want to make a shy, girly girl? Cool beans. That's who she is.
Do you want to make a tough woman who doesn't need men to live her life? More power to her. That's who she is.
Do you want to make manly man, who protects women at his own risk? That's who he is. It doesn't matter if the girl needed help or not, that's what his character would do.

Gender roles aren't the issue. It's how comfortable you feel taking them on. It's wierd stepping in the shoes of the opposite sex, but after awhile, you'll break them in.

EDIT: Well, it seems Psychic said what I wanted a bit earlier than I did. Damn.

Requiem's Eclipse
15th December 2011, 11:59 PM
Its not really hard for me to RP as a girl for some reason. I just base characters either from people I know to characters I make up in my head. I'm a guy and I personally love playing as a girl but, I used to ALWAYS play as girls so for now, I'm play exclusively male for a while to balance and then make some female characters.

Slipomatic
12th January 2012, 6:01 PM
It's always easy for me to RP either as a guy or a girl even though I am a guy in real life. I take an approach to this and it probably won't work with a lot of people trying to RP as the opposite gender they are. I approach it with the knowledge of what I'm going to work with this character, in my case, a female character. I plan ahead of time to make sure that this character will not be a flat character. Although I haven't really written a fan-fic that I've actually went through with, I find it easier to work with a fan-fic when you've made essentially sign-ups for each character.

I have yet to get a flat character or a mary/gary sue character as I make sure all of my characters has flaws in them. One thing that I can say is that it is perhaps the mentality that causes people to struggle with characters of their opposite gender. It isn't so much that they can't be that gender, it is more of the fact that they think, "oh, because I'm not male, I don't know how to make them act right." If the person simply goes in with the mindset of being an author and write without compromise, it'll be easy.

Feel free to call me a hypocrit if you can find my one story that I discontinued because I was an idiot back then on fan-fiction site.

Alliance
13th January 2012, 6:08 AM
I'm female.
I'm proud of it.

But personally, I can RP guys. I just don't know how they act, since I hang out with my girls more often than not.
And the guys I DO know think they are super sexy and stuff o.o
Note; That wasn't a generalization

But yea, I can't RP guys. I sorta have to RP females, since I know how they feel, how they act, that sort. It just works better.

It's like my and the age spectrum. Can't play older people for crab. I can always play as a young teen. >.>

Radish
3rd February 2012, 12:42 AM
When I first got into roleplaying about 13 years of age, I flat out refused to roleplay male. I'm not trying to say that everyone here is 13, by the way. The reason I did that was because I did not feel "comfortable" with the male mind set. Whenever I roleplay, I want to get in the characters head.

However, now that I'm 18 years old, I adore playing both genders! It's a lot more fun and people will be a lot more willing to roleplay with you. It means that there's a balance, and most of the time (in roleplays I'm involved in at least) me and my partner will double one male, one female. It makes it more interesting, that's for sure.

I'm thinking that sometimes people feel uncomfortable with the idea because they either just don't want to, can't be bothered to make it convincing or some other really drawn out, clutching-at-straws answer. To be honest, they should try it. They might like it more than they realise!

Kiruria
7th February 2012, 8:59 PM
I happen to be a guy, yet most of the characters I play are girls. Though it is a bit easier to keep my guys in character, I oftentimes put too much of myself into them or have them wind up sticking to well established cliches and as a result many of them come off as a bit static or flat.

I actually have more fun playing female characters, partially because it is a bit of a challenge for me but also because its easier for me to make them just the way I want without worrying about too much of my own personality bleeding in. All in all, my female characters tend to be much more quirky, dynamic, and unique than my male characters. I still play characters of both genders, but its like a five to one ratio of girls to guys in my list.

Pretty much the same thing applies to me, except the other way around. I'm female, and yet it's slightly easier for me to have male characters for pretty much the same reasons that TSR described.

The only difference I really see between the two genders is A) the stereotypes they're placed into, and their reactions to such stereotypes, and B) the way their brains are wired. Seriously, males and females are "programmed" in a slightly different way. I think that's what makes it hard for someone of one gender to step into the other's shoes. Some people are just better at it or more comfortable with it than others.

That having been said, when I first started RPing, all my characters were female. I just wasn't comfortable playing a male character--boys were literally like an alien race I couldn't comprehend or relate to. I did create one or two male characters, but it never worked out well. I just felt too distant to them, and just lost interest.

But as time went by and my writing skills improved and I matured a bit, I found it more and more comfortable to create male characters. I do admit that some of those characters are based off of certain traits I would really admire in a boyfriend (for example, 80% of them have long hair and/or have a kind and mature personality)... but it doesn't have to be that way. Maybe I'm more comfortable playing as the opposite gender nowadays because I'm actually interested in what men are like and how they might act as opposed to how a woman might act. I guess I just look at it from a mature point of view.

But still, when I play female characters, I, much like TSR, have a greater tendency to insert aspects of myself into the character. But unlike him, I don't really feel that uncomfortable about it. I feel much closer to my female characters than with my male characters--it's as if there's this special psychic bond between us. That is why the main character of a story I write is almost guaranteed to be female. With a female character, I'm much more likely to get into their inner thoughts and motives. With a male character, by contrast, I'm more likely to just give them very interesting "surface characteristics" like appearance details, personality quirks, and special skills.

Here's a comparison of examples illustrating that last point, using two RPG characters I've created:

Male character: Halberd, a Scottish fencer in a kilt. He's a very big guy but has a gentle and mature personality. Oh, and he's very good with computers and gadgets as well, and never feels comfortable walking into danger without a sword. Also has a few friends who are just as interesting.

Female character: Zuri, an albino girl with a love of reading and a fond interest in the paranormal. While she doesn't interact with people as much, she spends a lot of time thinking about stuff, and I frequently describe such thoughts in detail, presenting lots of wisdom and flashbacks in the meantime. Oh and by the way, Zuri's signup was longer than Halberd's.

(And I've used both of the above characters in Persona RPG's, with the EXACT SAME Persona in fact, so I figured this was a good comparison.)